Speaker 1: Happy Monday, everybody. It's the world famous Ben and Skin show. Before we get going here, did you guys have a good weekend?
Speaker 2: It was incredible.
Speaker 1: Really, No, no, now that I look back on it, it was. It was a pretty average weekend. You didn't have a lot of free time. I haven't had free time in a long time. So I had some free time Friday night. Okay, after driving back from Oklahoma?
Speaker 2: Right, what'd you do? I don't even remember.
Speaker 1: Oh no, I do, I do we I had a couple of beers, and I watched the Lakers and the Clippers. Okay, I watched that game too, Katie. You're not able to watch Laker games, are you.
Speaker 2: That's not a recreational activity for me. It is for me. I actually am enjoying it.
Speaker 1: I think this is the most non MAVs games I've ever seen. Like I'm wondering, like I don't. I'm not a fan of the NBA. I ca oh, look, the Bucks are playing the Hornets. I'll sit down and watch this for three hours.
Speaker 2: That's not me.
Speaker 1: But I do find myself following Luca out to the West Coast, and I love watching him and Lebron play. Yeah, man, I think They're a fun team to watch because they've got my other guy, Austin Reeves, who is a baldon.
Speaker 2: This bit. Have y'all know you've seen him play. Austin is actually really cool. You've watched him play the last few weeks. He's awesome for into the Rocks. It's like, is uh is your podcast on the MAHLF channel making him do this? No? This is okay, this.
Speaker 1: Is I So I watch a lot. I'm not breaking news to anybody. I watch a lot of NBA. I really enjoy watching Austin Reeds.
Speaker 2: You know, but your talented mister Ripley bit.
Speaker 1: It is guys seen that. How did we not get him in that trade? Because it would have been nice. We could have had him thrown in. Uh, he's not a throw in. Yeah, they and and actually, I mean, honestly, you can go back and look. For the last two years, teams have been trying to get Austin Reeve from the Lakers and they're not coming off. There was still room for them to throw him in. There was room for them to throw a lot of things in. But I feel so much I would feel so much better. But okay, So I ended up watching another Laker. I watched that game, and then I went back and watched it again. They played the Clippers again, right, so last night, I think last night, so I got up and watched that this morning.
Speaker 2: Yep, we getting a shot back. He looks. I mean, they've got him listed at two thirty.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 1: I don't know if he's lost forty pounds, but he think that's happen. He's looking slim, he looks good. He looks really good. You know, It's just it takes it. By the time they get to the playoffs, it'll be his team, but it just takes a while, Like you don't just come in and go all right, Lebron, it's my team. Now, I'm coming off an injury, but that'll happen naturally over the next couple weeks and then by the time they're the number two seed.
Speaker 2: I feel like an accepting eighties dad of homosexuality when it comes to other people watching the Lakers. Okay, tell me, I don't understand it, but it doesn't bother me that you do it. I just don't understand how you do. Okay, well, let's talk through it. Dad.
Speaker 1: So I fell in love with Luca, and so I love Luca the player. Now, if Luca had demanded a trade, I would hate him, But he did not.
Speaker 2: He didn't.
Speaker 1: He lost one hundred and ten million dollars in that trade. He never wanted to leave it. He was sad for about three weeks. And so I'm like, dude, I'm a Luca fan. I can't just turn it off all of a sudden because he's wearing a different jersey. Okay, do you understand what's happening here? The whole Luca It wasn't Luca's choice. Is the whole thing with the dad in the eighties saying I guess God made him that way.
Speaker 4: Right, right?
Speaker 2: Yeah, But it's like, uh, and by the way, you're not the only one. There's a few other people in my life who were that way. And I've I've just it's almost like you're like driving and peering into Luca's house when he's with his new love. I know it's another guy out by the tree, just kind of watching it. And what do you talk about he's playing on television? Happen is this like?
Speaker 1: And what kind of love is it? Because I'm confused by your comparison. Are you peeking in on gay love? Dude, if Luca and the MAVs are simultaneously, I'm switching back and forth. That's I'm going back. I love them both. I love It's. To me, it's two Christmases. Mam and Dad got a divorce again. I'm not judging you. I just don't understand it. For me, I couldn't. You couldn't enjoy Luca.
Speaker 2: The Lakers. Oh, okay, it's a big because, big problem the Lakers.
Speaker 1: Because of the history of the Lakers, or because history of Lebron. Okay, the Lebron thing. Dude, at forty or whoever old, he is playing as good a basketball as he did, and maybe better than his last MVP or whatever in twenty twelve, twenty thirteen. I don't know if those last one I just saw those two years compared his numbers.
Speaker 2: Are better at forty.
Speaker 1: I don't let me just let me just go on record here. I don't understand Lebron hate. I mean, we all have things that we hate for whatever reason we hate it. But I'm like, all right, let's take a step back and look at the entirety of what this human has done. He is probably for sure in basketball until Wemby, the most hyped athlete of all time. He was on the cover of Sports Illustrated at seventeen. He was the chosen one. He has exceeded all reasonable expectations for being the most hyped play ever ever.
Speaker 2: He smashed him.
Speaker 1: He's setting every wet record, and he's one of the ten best players in the league in his forties, and he's turned himself into a billionaire. He's never been involved in a scandal, at least one that he's been caught for, So like, I don't who's hating him? Oh man, I get people all the time, like I just can't stand that Lebron. I see a lot of it, and I see a lot of it. Now, could it be Dwayne Wade hate that spilled over because of the coughing incident?
Speaker 2: Or could it be the I'm taking my talents?
Speaker 1: Obviously he's aware, you know, the whole I don't want to be the face the NBA, but I'll take Jordan's number.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: And but even that, like that whole thing becoming about Steven A. Smith is nauseating. Yeah, Like Steven A. Smith made that about him and it's just gross. I mean, I get it. It's where it sucks. I mean I try so hard not to watch wrestling, and it just finds me.
Speaker 2: Dude, wrestling had a big weekend. Seena turned heel man.
Speaker 5: I can't believe I've been begging someone to bring this up this whole time.
Speaker 2: Thank you so much, Skinning the platform is yours? How is this effecting?
Speaker 5: Oh my god, it was a huge night, John Cena. People have been wanting this for twenty years, had no idea was actually gonna happen.
Speaker 2: And The Rock, oh my god, you guys to watch it.
Speaker 5: The Rock was there.
Speaker 2: Explain this because Mark Followell called its absolute cinema.
Speaker 5: I will say I didn't realize what I was watching while I was watching it, but Mike kind of freaked out, and I saw Twitter freaking out. I was like, oh, so this was a much bigger deal than I realized.
Speaker 2: So it's him versus the Rock or what happened?
Speaker 5: No, he's on the Rock side now, so the Rock, Yes, the Rock has been bad. He was going to Cody Roads trying to get Cody Roads to come to his side, and John Cena was pretending to be on Cody Roads side. He goes in for a hug for Cody Roads, like, yeah, I got you man and.
Speaker 2: He sees the Rock. They look at each other.
Speaker 5: The Rock does a slice the throat thing and Johnsona punches him and it was awesome.
Speaker 2: Skinny john c fake punch the Rock. No, but because the Rock was in the shadows telling him now's the time.
Speaker 1: It's an amazing fantasy world because I didn't realize the Rock was a bad guy. And I'm sitting here going so wait, the wrestling world accepts the guy that makes all the cute movies with Kevin Hard is a bad guy.
Speaker 2: Do you separate it? You separate the artist from the art. But it's a play. It's not real. It's not real. It's a play.
Speaker 1: They should they should have w we be nominated for Tony Awards?
Speaker 2: Right would? It's fun to watch You guys are missing out?
Speaker 1: I agree, fun it's fun. Do they ever break out in the song? No, they should would never be great. That would be wrestling musical.
Speaker 2: Gets his guitar out American. Speaking of music, it reminds me of the intro start time movies. Right now, you're right, right, right, right, right time to do one poor time quick ef it with I show. You're gonna ruling it if you accept with a similar sweet pursuing.
Speaker 3: It, tunnold out Shaw shank through the sewer, Kid, Now what you're lling at the eagle? Yeah, we're doing it. Three o'clock on the dock. Got a habit for my house? A got status? Howard starting to get craddic shows that enough multiplied like a rabbit to the in zone.
Speaker 2: Out, creak it up, beat the habit.
Speaker 5: I'm want anything out with the friends, rocking down the lady my home's head.
Speaker 2: Talking on the radio.
Speaker 1: It's time, Oh baby baby.
Speaker 2: All the radio, all right? Right.
Speaker 1: As I was getting ready to, uh, you know, rolling in the studio, I was riding up in the elevator looking at social media, and I saw that Jimmy Johnson is retiring from Fox Sports after thirty one years. Oh, Jimmy is leaving out? Have we confirmed that he's gone as of now? Like he will not be there for this next season.
Speaker 2: That's what it looks like. That's what the press release kind of made it seem like, Oh, there's a press release for that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they press release, okay, because all I saw was just a story of him being on Cowered, and the quotes I read it made it sound like he wasn't going to be doing it anymore. But I didn't see anything official.
Speaker 2: Yeah, announcing your retirement on Colin Cowhard is like celebrating your birthday party at the landfill. It's not like the greatest place to do something anything. Really that experienced last Friday, scar or do you have no? No, it was a great time. Okay, No, I know. I'm proud of myself. Oh I was wonderful.
Speaker 1: Well, good work landfill turner the great that's it. And that's the name of the new Taylor Sheridan show land Hill landfill man. Just Kevin standing out there, let the Melissa Landfill looking.
Speaker 2: Around strong out their world. You need help it on that table, Okay, So there you do.
Speaker 1: You know, everything in the world that I look at right now, I look at through the Luca lens.
Speaker 2: I can't help it. Yeah, you gotta get off that. You can't help it.
Speaker 1: I just still can't believe that we traded Luca, and so I'm still trying to just work through all of the aftershocks of that. But I you know, I'm wondering what to compare it to. Like initially, I was like, this is as bad as the Jimmy Jerry divorce, right, like it's that magnitude. So to me, it's a little bit more like it's I understand the comparison. To me, it's a little bit more like Jerry getting rid of Tom Landry.
Speaker 2: I don't think we'd get rid of Jimmy was a bad thing until like ten years after. Right, Well, it's just that moment, did we know.
Speaker 1: Well, yeah, you're right, it's just that it's been uh and you're right, that's a fair point to make. I just think, is that a curse that we're about to embark upon?
Speaker 2: You know what I mean? Like I said, a thirty year curse?
Speaker 1: Right, But that's unfair to look at it through that lens now, because this may end up working out.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: It's interesting about your curse theory, yep, is if the Mavericks were to win a championship, it'd probably be in the next two years, right. And they did win a Super Bowl with Switzerland, that's right, Sure, hell did, Okay, soich I couldn't even enjoy that Super Bowl without Jimmy being there.
Speaker 2: Right me? I hated it, but I had no fun having that parade.
Speaker 1: That's irrational emotions speaking in me, like, because look, we were not there yet. But I am looking Christy, I think you're probably looking at a lot of things. So that do you How often do you think about the Luca trade way more often?
Speaker 2: Now?
Speaker 5: I would like, I'm wrestling. I'm watching wrestling now, Ben, just to get my mind off of it.
Speaker 2: Right, what if Luca comes walking into the wrestling ring, what would you do?
Speaker 4: He could?
Speaker 5: There have been sports guys just walking into the ring doing things. So, Yeah, and I try to watch Lakers. Like Katie said earlier, he doesn't understand. And I'm kind of on both of y'all sides on that one because I will try to watch it because I love Luca. I want to still watch him play. But then I can only get through maybe one two quarters and I have to turn it off. Yeah, it makes me two sacks.
Speaker 1: It's not that hard for me to watch these regular season games, but as I'm watching them, I am thinking about what the playoffs are going to be like, because usually, you know, the only team I ever root for is the Mavericks. And then I start developing rooting interests during any playoffs Baseball, NFL. As stories unfold, they become interesting to me. And so as I'm watching, you know, Luca play and I was thinking about the playoffs. I'm like, man, that's gonna be really weird because I've never, for any reason, ever, under any circumstance, rooted for the Lakers at any moment ever. But when you're in the playoffs, if I'm rooting for Luca, I will be ostensibly rooting for the Lakers. And I was sitting there watching these games thinking about going. I don't know how I'm gonna feel when that's happening, right, it's gonna be what if they play each other? Oh yeah, well, if they play each other, then I'm simply sorry. I'm gonna have to root for Luca to fail. But like, I'll give an example. I love rooting for Steph Curry during the playoffs because of the way he plays and the style and all that. I've never had any I'm not like some big Warriors fan, but once those series get going, I find myself rooting for him because Steph is just irresistible in that way. So for Jimmy, like he has lived a great life. I mean, what a great career choice to go into television. I can't believe it's been thirty one years. All that TV money, he doesn't have to work year round. He flies in like he just flies in, flies out. He's boat man, god drinking, Heinekens on a boat. He did it right Florida and fishes for marlins. What do you guys think he makes per year?
Speaker 2: Like a million or more? Oh, I was gonna say five or six? Oh my god, he offers nothing in the last five to ten years, he's offered nothing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, oh, I agree, and I think honestly, like, I bet the Fox people are pumping their fists.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because it's hard to get rid of it.
Speaker 1: I mean, they got a lot of old guys sitting around making that show suck. They may have squeezed him out too. They may have been wanting to renegotiate. He's like, I'm not going to do it for that, So that may have led to this. But right, there's so many people nobody has time to make any big points.
Speaker 2: Now, we got nine people out on the sets like what.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the football, the football takes it to a new level of ridiculousness.
Speaker 2: The football.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there's there's six guys and they just drunk.
Speaker 2: I mean, it's it's uh to Terry Branshaw.
Speaker 1: Seriously, man, good lord, all right, coming up next, let's turn our attention to Hollywood.
Speaker 2: Let's go to the Hollywood Shuffle. Where you going to take his kat? Last night was the Oscars. We had a couple of odd stories, but the star of the show was your host. That's next. Ah, Yes, it is the Ben and Skin Show on ninety seven point one, the e Goal And as you know, we have BFD back this year. It is a big FN deal and it's gonna be May twenty fifth at dose Eki's Pavilion.
Speaker 1: It's gonna be great. It's gonna be headlined by Marilyn Manson and Chavelle. We had the news last week that we've added Stabbing Westward to the bill. That's really cool. We like to give things to listeners. We appreciate you guys, so we're gonna do that all this week. We're gonna give away BFD tickets now on this show. We like to do it using the iHeart app. Have you not downloaded that bad boy?
Speaker 2: It's awesome.
Speaker 1: You could stream all your favorite shows, all your favorite music, you listen to podcast and it's free and right on there.
Speaker 2: Man.
Speaker 1: They have this really cool talkback feature. You click the button and you can leave us a thirty second message, we like to use that to give away these tickets. So the first person that hits that talkback feature boom and leaves their name, their phone number, their email address, and the answer to this question, who did Christina freak out about because he turned heel this weekend? The first person that can tell us who that is. You were listening in the first segment, you know, and you're gonna win BFD tickets and you're gonna party with us Sunday, May twenty fifth. But right now it's time for.
Speaker 2: This juicing news hot gods.
Speaker 6: Every comes, stay on top in the shovel.
Speaker 2: Last night was the Academy Awards, the Oscars, and there's ten films nominated. Your winner was a movie called Anora. Hell yeah, I think a lot of people was ignoring Anora, but.
Speaker 1: I kind of got good odds, like coming into the last couple of weeks.
Speaker 2: They did last couple weeks. It was on my Prize Picks indie film, six million dollar budget, forty person crew, you know, in terms of making it in New York. I saw it. I think I might to me, I didn't think it should have won because it didn't feel important. It was a fun watch. Uh, huh. There are three others that I thought were like, Okay, that actually gonna stick with me a little bit longer. That was kind of But also, with ten minutes left in Anora is when I found out Luca got traded. So you know, when your phone's blowing up with ten minutes left in a movie, you might think differently, what a weird plot twist at the end of a movie for Luca to get traded? So you met. I was like, did that affect how I felt about this movie? I don't think it did. It's good and fun. I'll tell you that it's good and fun.
Speaker 1: It was one of the nine movies that I didn't see that got nominated for Best Picture.
Speaker 2: I was kind of my I ended up watching six of them this year.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I don't think I've seen any of them really, except the Demi Moore one, right or no? That one's for Best Picture. On the subject was it was for Best Picture? God, that's terrible. It was seen as the worst like ten ten out of at the last place.
Speaker 1: You know what happened, dude, here's what happened. So I can't remember if it was seven or eight years ago. There was always arguments about movies that got left off for Best Picture, so they expanded it from five to ten. And then the movie distribution business changed, and now they can't come up with ten that are really deserving of it, right, Like I thought watching that to me More movie, the first half of it was really good, but I thought the second half was maybe as bad as any movie ever.
Speaker 2: Made about a noura. Honestly, you guys, the first half of Honora's great.
Speaker 1: If you guys want to be bored out of your mind, you need to see Baby Girl.
Speaker 2: It sucked. I did not want to be bored out of Ah that's a terrible that's a terrible teaser your mind. Rather you hit me in the shins with a fun go bet. Best Actor goes to Adrian Brody. Gee, whizz does this guy like talking? God almighty? Get off the stage?
Speaker 8: Really?
Speaker 2: Was Barry up there? No?
Speaker 5: No, They like clapped him off the stage, and then he came back and kept going and to the point where I was like, did you rewind that?
Speaker 6: Like?
Speaker 2: And he did the power move of like I've done this before. I've been here before. Stop please stop playing the music. I'll make it quick. I've been here before. And then he goes on for another minute and a half. He did. It's like here's a guy who just likes that he's got the last spotlight on him. He didn't even go anywhere. He was a little scattered. I don't know.
Speaker 1: I feel like he completely disappeared for a decade after he won for the Pianist, Like I don't even know what I saw him in forever.
Speaker 2: Someone compared this to like Dirk winning the title, like kind of out of nowhere, here comes Adrian Brody to win. I thought it was clearly it was Bill Simmons, it was the Athletic. It wasn't Bill Simmons. But uh I thought Timothy Shallomy should have won for the Bob Dylan thing. But he was awesome, man, you know he was awesome. That's the only one I saw Best Actresses. Mikey Madison. She was laying the laying the groundwork for if you want to win Best Actress in a movie, just getting naked for like half the movie. Jimmy was nicked. Jimmy was niked. A lot didn't win.
Speaker 1: There was I saw a thing on Friday Night where it was the history of prostitutes getting nominated for Best Actress there's been like if you want to include John Voight for Midnight Cowboy, who was a John or whatever of Jigglow, there's been twenty one of them.
Speaker 2: Oh really yes? Yeah, huh isn't that crazy? Well she was very good in Anora, so I would say worthy. But there you go. There's just fun. Your star of the night, let's not get things mixed up here. Your star of the night is your host, Conan O'Brien, Coco. Unbelievable. I thought it was a damn near perfect game. So let's get to the hits.
Speaker 7: Seriously, sit down, you never stood Okay, all right, it's Hollywood's biggest night that starts at four in the afternoon. Everyone here just had brunch. I don't understand it. I'm complete unknown, a real, a real pain.
Speaker 2: No shoot out to.
Speaker 7: These are just some of the names I was called on the Red Car.
Speaker 2: I think two were fair very good. Did anybody see nos froutu?
Speaker 8: No?
Speaker 2: But it looks like really creepy and pretty good.
Speaker 1: I wondered if it won a bunch of like production design and no, I don't think so.
Speaker 2: No, Okay, well I wanted to see it. I think Wicked won a lot of the production and costumes Wicked and Dune with all the production and costume design stuff.
Speaker 8: Was it?
Speaker 1: Did Adam Sandler? I read something? Did he make a joke about a five on five basketball? There was a bit where it felt like it was Conan's bit.
Speaker 2: Conan threw it to Adam Sandler, but everyone needs addressed nice and Sandlor's in shorts and a hoodie. It wasn't very good bit honestly, but doesn't stop Conan's damn near perfect monologue. What a year for the movie industry.
Speaker 7: Netflix leads all studios with an impressive eighteen count them eighteen price increases. Yeah, and I think they can beat that next year. Wicked is nominated tonight in ten categories.
Speaker 2: It's the perfect movie for.
Speaker 7: Anyone who's ever finished watching The Wizard of Oz and thought, sure, but where did all the minor characters go to college?
Speaker 2: Fantastic? So it gets on a run of mentioning every movie and I like what this happens? So we're going to kind of give a give him a call out and to make a joke.
Speaker 7: No, I love the brutalist, I really did. I didn't want it to end, and luckily it didn't.
Speaker 2: There are some parts in the Brutalists where you're going, come on, man, how close? Hit pause? Oh my god, there's two hours and fifteen minutes left in this movie. All right, I'm gonna keep grinding. You keep grinding to it, and it's great. It's absolutely great. Uh. I'm Still Here was a movie that was nominated. Not a lot of people watched it, but yeah.
Speaker 7: Another movie nominated for Best Picture is I'm Still Here. I'm Still Here as about a woman who forges a head alone after her husband goes missing.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 7: When my wife saw she called it the feel good movie of the year. Thanks one guy.
Speaker 2: Hey, all right, so one guy. There's a little controversy with the movie Amelia Prez, because the main okay performer, the performer in question, yeah, had some tweets from the past and then, uh, you know, kind of kept tweeting like recently. So he's gonna make an Amelia Press joke. That's after the Honora joke that you will get first though, and.
Speaker 7: Nora uses the F word four hundred and seventy nine times.
Speaker 2: That's three more than.
Speaker 7: The record set by Carlo Sofia, Gascon's publicist.
Speaker 2: It's fantastic. I'm having fun.
Speaker 7: Carlos Carlos, Sophia Gascon is here tonight, and yeah, and Carla, if you are going to tweet about the Oscars, remember my name is Jimmy.
Speaker 2: This is great, really good. Hey, I mean it's so good. I was hoping it would go to her right when he made the joke, but it didn't. It waited, but I was like, she's there because it was a story before, Like, she's going to be there. They are going to be there. It's it's tough sometimes.
Speaker 7: No AI, we did not use AI to make this show.
Speaker 2: No AI.
Speaker 7: Yeah, we would never do that.
Speaker 2: We used child labor. Hey, there's still people.
Speaker 7: Of course, we lost a little billy, but that's sad.
Speaker 2: Anyway, moving on, Timothy shallow May is sitting front row. He's got a bright yellow suit on. I'm gonna say it was like bright yellow, like highlighter yellow, highlighter yellow yellow yellow alo tie. Sitting next to like did Kylie Jenner's boobs are just hanging out looking like she would destroy him if they were to have a romp in bed. It's like how could he hold his own? She is bigger than him. It's like incredible, are they dating? Yeah? I didn't know that either a long time. He's not in the NBA, so well, they're not all into NBA players, just from what we know Kim. For a short amount of time, she liked bench players. Yeah, Chloe liked bench players. That now Kendall uk book. Yeah, I'm getting mixed up. Yeah, she's the little one. Was it one with Ben Simmons? I think that was Kendall for a while, and then now she's with bad Bunny Kylie's the big busty one, right, doesn't matter though. The point is Timothy Challa May sitting front row looking kind of weird with the highlighter yellow suit.
Speaker 7: Seemy Salome is up for Best Actor Tonight.
Speaker 2: You're amazing. Love that suit.
Speaker 7: You will not get hit on your bike tonight, an amazing actor. Timothy is nominated for his portrayal of Bob Dylan. Yeah, yeah, Bob Dylan wanted to be here tonight.
Speaker 2: But not that badly so good. That's the last one I pulled here. Can you said the movie Baby Girl? It's sort of Cole Kidman gets naked a lot.
Speaker 7: Yeah, you know, one of my favorite movies didn't get nominated this year, Baby Girl. Yeah, I love that film.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 7: In the film Baby Girl, Antonio Bandaris plays a man who doesn't know how to give his wife an orgasm. Benderis described it as the most challenging.
Speaker 2: Role of his career. Should have come to me, man, should have come to me. He was owning it. He was on a on, he was feeling it, he was moving around. And then they did a bit. They're like, uh so, Jeff Bezos is here and he's or he was being late or whatever, and it's an Amazon driver dumps off a big Amazon box next to this Oscar statue. The Amazon driver takes the picture of the package. He just throws it down and it walks off. It was like a good dig at Amazon. And then that I had a couple other good bits. They had some firefighters out at the end. I saw jokes. It was pretty good, and they like read jokes because they did a lot of the la, oh yeah fire thing, I'm an idiot, like the la police fire fire chief made the joke that we know a lot of people have lost their homes, especially the people who made joker too. So it was like and the crowd goes, yeah, So it was good. It was very good. It was you know, it's the one where you can started an hour and a half late and just zip right through it because there's gonna be some stuff you don't care about.
Speaker 1: I once I found out that our friends did not win Best Original Song, I lost interest in going back and watching it.
Speaker 2: I was so sure they were going to win. I got butt hurt. I was bummed about that. I was pulling for Abraham and Adrian.
Speaker 1: Yeah, didn't something from Amelia Perez won Best Song or something?
Speaker 2: Amelia Prez won a lot of stuff. I don't know. Screw that. They screwed over Texas. Damn it. My wife, who is of you know, Hispanic descent, Well, she's Mexican. What don't what I was saying? She hated that movie. Okay, got it sucked, So I'm not sure. I don't even know what it's about. It's like there's like a it's like a crime story, but it's like a musical two okay, you know, Okay, Selena Gomez is in it. What's it called? Amelia Perez? It was a Netflix thing, Okay, and there you have it. Good job. Cavin Conan's back all right.
Speaker 1: Coming up next and around the sports, Uh, the Cowboys and the controversial trade that they made and how does that impact this weekend we'll discuss now. Oh yes, the Bennetts Agin Show ninety seven point one The Eagle. This segment right herb brought to you by Hurtado Barbecue. Some of the best barbecue could ever have in your whole life life. Let's see if I can get this right today. Locations in uh oh Mansfield, Fort Worth, Arlington. Yeah, two locations in globallye Field and one more location the Dallas Farmer's Market. And that's what's got me discombobulated. It's so exciting to have Hurttle Barbecue in Dallas now. And that Farmer's Market is just great for hanging out, great people watching, great place to be and the right smack dab in the heart of the Farmer's Market there in Dallas, there's now a Hurtado Barbecue and it is exquisite. Some of the best barbecue you could ever hope to have in your life. These are all family recipes passed down through the Hurtado family, Brandon Hurtado's mom's recipes and whatnot, and it is just awesome. So stop by hur Tatle Barbecue having the best barbecue you've ever had.
Speaker 2: But right now, it's time for this. It's good listeners.
Speaker 3: Here comes KT fun tweets with around.
Speaker 4: The Now let's go around the sports KG fun tweets as all the sports.
Speaker 2: Yes, so after the super Bowl happens in early February, the NFL goes quiet for a little bit. But this is going to be a big seven days. Okay. The combine happened last week, a lot of rumors, media fights, things like that, and the free agency is next week like next Mondays in the free agency tampering period starts and where the Cowboys usually sit there with their hands and their laps and watch everyone else do stuff. What a great tradition. The big news from the combine this week is one of your division rivals, The Washington Commandos traded a fifth round pick to the forty nine Ers for Deebo. Samuel Diva's good.
Speaker 1: Player, right, this good good player, game changing, elite offensive player went healthy.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, he's like the Anthony Davis football like here's kay. Yeah, he's a guy you game playing around. Yeah, and then you know the Commanders will enjoy his eleven games this year like I I but twenty one million dollars for a fifth Roundred's this is the Amark Cooper trade is what this is. But the immediate reaction and my immediate thought was, wait, didn't we trade a fourth for Mingo?
Speaker 1: Yeah, Jonathan Mingo? Fourth round pick for him?
Speaker 2: When?
Speaker 1: And it's since you know, would be the twelfth pick of the fourth round, a good fourth round pick. A guy that got here and did nothing, like was barely involved at all. And I'm like, wait, now, going into this draft, you know a second wide receiver is one of the top needs for the team, and you just used a fourth round pick on a guy you didn't even play. And I saw this online earlier today on social media, and it was the great Bobby Belt at the Fan and somebody had sent us a clip of him saying that he thought the Mingo said situation was created tension between Jerry Jones and Mike McCarthy, where Jerry's like, I used a fourth round pick. Play this guy, you know, don't make us look bad by not playing him, and McCarthy either didn't like being told what to do or he didn't think he could play. We don't really know, but Mingo was barely involved, and so yes, on the surface, I see this and I think Jonathan Mingo, who the hell is that he sucks? And then I hear Deebo Samuel, I'm like, yes, game changing, elite player, even worse pick and you got him.
Speaker 2: Why couldn't we have done that?
Speaker 1: Isn't there a great irony too? That wasn't there a lot of I don't know consternation from McCarthy about the fourth round pick for Trey Lance, Like, wouldn't he like no one consulted me on that?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Well, the story was that Jerry did that on his own, right, Yeah, and then Jerry was kind of the story here is that Jerry did this on his own. I want to see Lance Mingo now get out there. Macarthy is interesting. I don't know. Uh, Mike was probably fed up. I also think Mike thought he was gonna get another good NFL job. Otherwise, I don't think he walks away from that. I don't think there's any way that he walks away from this. I'm wondering if his ag should give him some bad advice or whatever happened that That whole thing though, it's like you look at it and you go, okay.
Speaker 1: He wouldn't accept the three year extension. He would only accept four. Dude, it ain't a three year extension, it's an eight year tenure. You were already here for five.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Like, I don't get the logic in that. That's just like walking away for money, But I get it. He thought he was gonna go to Chicago or New Orleans or whatever, then he'd take his name out of the New Orleans running.
Speaker 2: He did, and everyone did besides Kellen. Yeah, I mean Cliff Kingsbury did because it's bad. It's bad place. They have no salary cap room because Sean Payton, you know, destroyed their cap And Aaron Glenn, who got the Jets job, was like, if you fire the GM, I'll take the job. Like Kell's like, yeah, I'll take it. Kellen hired former Cowboys offensive coordinator Scott Lenahan today to be a consultant on the offensive side of the ball. Pleasure. Oh, I love it. It's word. It's a deadline for the franchise tag is tomorrow. Where what this means is you can't agree to a contract, so you put this stamp on a player and then you pay them money. Oh so, Dicky Zooa was this year's candidate. The Cowboys have been negotiating with him trying to get a three or four year contract done, and he's probably like the twelfth to fifteenth best defensive tackle in football, which sounds weird, but he is, and that's what he would be paid at. If you know what the Cowboys are trying to get him at, and if his team and it's like, well, they want to haggle, then they can do that and it might be a smart thing to do because the Cowboys haven't till tomorrow to put a franchise tag on him, which they are going to do. If they don't get a deal done tonight, then you can still sign a deal. After you franchise tag someone. You have time to do the deal.
Speaker 1: Why don't they do the transition tag because they think someone's going to get big money and they're stuck with that deal.
Speaker 2: Yeah, basically, yeah, and this would be twenty five million dollars for one year. How bad are the.
Speaker 1: Rest of their tackles and linebackers if they have a top fifteen guy and still can't get any pressure up the middle or stop the run.
Speaker 2: You know, I'll answer your question with the question. Outside of Mazzie Smith, can you name their other defensive tackles? Yeah, yeah, So that's.
Speaker 1: The problem, right that pick, that missing that first round pick on Mazzi, that hurts so bad. That hurts so bad to miss on an early, early pick like that and to have that guy be a bust. And now because you missed on that pick and you just don't have depth there, and because the emphasis now is the three technique right that that badass tackle is going to be massively important. You've got a top twelve, top fifteen one. You have to overpay to keep him. You have no choice. Where else can you go get that If you don't overpay for him right now, you can't.
Speaker 2: You can you can build you can build it up with you know, minimum guys in free agency. But this is the draft. That position, The draft is very good at that position, so you know you could do something, You could do something there. I think they got other needs. I think if you could go into it with Mazi and O says your defensive tackle and then work on a deal with Micah, then I think you're fine, Like you're okay there and you're gonna want to get someone else. We need to find out Tank Lawrence is going to retire if he's going to go somewhere else. He's a free agent.
Speaker 1: We're gonna get a homeboy back. Who's the other dude that we lost early.
Speaker 2: Sam Williams. Yeah, you're going to need him to play. He's going to replace Tank, right. I don't know. I mean, I think they would love to have Tank back, but I don't know how much he would cost either. I can see a lot. You know, I could see him taking less to stay here. Oh cool, that'd be great, just because I know he loves it here and he's been here for so long now. I feel like I could also just see him retiring. You know, he's had a lot of injuries. I think offensive line is really good right there at that twelve area. I think that's a really good spot if you're gonna try to have replace his Martin just like that, I think.
Speaker 1: God, I hope they trade back. I hope they get additional picks because that's what they need. And again, where you started this conversation, trading a fourth for Mingo skin brought up Trey Lance. Trade a fourth for Trey Lance? You can't when you don't use free agency and you're not great at drafting. They have been pretty good, they've been pretty bad of late though. You just need more picks. It's a numbers game.
Speaker 2: Yeah, empty assets equals full ass kicked.
Speaker 8: Oh.
Speaker 2: I like that, and that's something that I've been making T shirts of. So that's just a new slogan I've been in marketing. You should go sell those at the Sloan Conference. I had not seen this the Cowboys at the come. I've met with a ton of running backs and there are a lot. I'm telling you, the running backs are good, all right. I hadn't seen anyone say this, but John Mishoda did right that. This is just John from the Athletic that Ashton gent the big best running back in the draft from Boise State. He said, is its sounding more likely they will go in a different direction. This is considered a strong running backs class. Targeting one in the second or third round seems like better beat than Jent at twelve. Good good. I'm fine with that.
Speaker 1: Like i'd I'd be excited to get him because he's such a dynamic player.
Speaker 2: But it's and it's sexy. Probably not the smartest thing to do.
Speaker 1: I think, like you know, Ben wants to trade back, but obviously there's got to be a reason for teams to trade up. Do you think he's that kind of guy. Do you think, like, in other words, dynamic running backs matter. The running back in general has been diminished, and I get that, but a dynamic running back matters. Beijon matters, obviously, Saquon matters. Okay, well, he says you're right and so, but I'm trying to think of a reason. Like someone sitting there at nineteen is like, man, that guy would make you there's the other guy. Yes, he's the guy right outside of a quarterback that you trade.
Speaker 2: Up that maybe you trade up for. I think this is one that would just we slip by all the time. If you were to go play a game right now. Jordan Lewis is a free agent. Treylon digs out till what October? No, man, okay, do you have one cornerback on your team right now? Ron Bland, maybe Caylin Carson who you you know they liked a lot last year and he proved that he was a rookie not ready for the you know, to play a lot.
Speaker 1: Did they need a cornerback? Keep Jordan, they need a wide receiver, keep Jordan Lewis. I feel like Mingo will be fine.
Speaker 2: Jordan Lewis might be like I need ten million dollars.
Speaker 1: Then you're like, Okay, Mingo showed us he can do a good job looking slow when he's out there.
Speaker 2: It's tough. They got a lot of stuff they gotta they gotta do.
Speaker 1: I want him to put on seventy five pounds and become a tight end. They are happy with their tight end class. All right, let's go. Really, here's their starting tight end, Fergy. I thought they had to sign him and he now Fergie's back. Okay, yeah, Ferky and Scooney, you're good. Ferky's the one who pete himself on stage right, yes, at the black eyed piece. Yeah, all right, there you have it. There's a Round the Sports coming up next. The only segment of the day that shout to be podcasted. You must listen live. It's the Today game, all right. This segment right here is brought to you by Rollertown Beer Works in Solana, Texas.
Speaker 2: That's a brewery.
Speaker 1: Skin and I are invested in with a new world headquarters going up in Frisco, Texas on Main Street. Making progress there too, looking good. But this weekend in Soalina it is mango. Have Anaro weekend at Rollertown, So get ready to turn up the heat as we bring back one of our most legendary beers, Mango haveb Anaro Sour. We'll be celebrating heat, spice, and everything nice with an all day, full throttle party featuring live music all day to keep the vibes high and the party going. Special themed cocktails crafted to highlight sweet, spicy and tropical flavors. Exclusive food specials designed to bring the heat and of course cool it down. Multiple food trucks serving up bold flavors to pair with your beer, non alcoholic options, and fun activity so everyone kids included can join the fun. Spicy challenges, games and surprises to test your heat tolerance and keep the party heated. This is not just a beer release, It's a full on flavor explosion and an epic day long celebration of spice. Whether you're a heat seeker or just here for the fun, Mango Have an Eerow Weekend at roller Town is going to be one for the books. So come hungry, come thirsty, and get ready to feel the burn. Right now it's time for this.
Speaker 9: And now it's time for Basus Weekday up Day featuring veteran news anchor kg Fun tweets here are the important.
Speaker 2: Stories he's currently tracking from around the world. All right, get some severe weather moving this way. Before I tell you some more details, let's hear from our friend Randy Parrish at Parish Roofing and I'm gonna turn this up on Michael, keep you and and then I gotta get it right at the beginning where I had it. There we go. Hey, what's up, Eagle listeners.
Speaker 8: This is Randy with Parish Roofing Solutions and we are seeing the same forecast all you guys are seeing in store for us tonight.
Speaker 2: So quick tip here.
Speaker 8: These storms can go from bad to worse in a hurry, so have a plan in place to keep you and your family safe.
Speaker 2: We will be here on the other side. If you guys I need any type.
Speaker 8: Of restoration services for your home, we will be here. So Benning's again. You guys have fun. We'll be listening. See you bie.
Speaker 1: Randy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I tell you I had some sheet rock in my garage. Sheet rock it fell like it is weird. But as it fell and I had Randy come out to make sure it wasn't like my roof that caused the sheet rock to fall. The physically fit Randy jumps up on my roof and one single bound tump on tomer and you know, does the down't always doing up? There is even moving and shaking things fixed a couple of my shingles, had a couple of shingles that are not good, fixed them just like that. It's like, awesome, how about that? Well, he's great, He's great.
Speaker 1: Whenever I hear a bad forecast, if there's going to be hail or possible tornadoes or whatever, I think of randy and paratrooptic solutions if you do need them after tonight, just keep this number handy two one four two two seven eight four eight eight.
Speaker 2: Is that what we're in for tonight? Is it? Is it bad? Well? I don't know. You know, this is one of those things where we're going to get this overnight system. I think winds are coming first. Winds are high winds is the first thing that's going to stand out here. Then rain, Yeah, Then you get to the possibility of hail. And as the National Weather Service put it a chance of a tornado or two, NATO's oh yea, that's weird that they would just condense it to a tornado or two. Although I don't know who works there anymore because so many people at the National Weather Service have either quit or lost their job in the last week. So big storm system. This is going to start around three am, So count sheep and get some z's and not worry about it. Or do you sleep with one eye open? Like Metallica said to dude, that's that's the question, because I think there's two ways you can handle this. Yeah, it really probably depends how you're wired as a person. If you're the type to not worry about stuff, just hit the hay and see you in the morning. Whatever happens happens. Me on my phone at four am, getting a feel for it. Is it coming this way? Is it gonna go that way? That's because you have narc though, that's true usually up for that time anyway. Yeah, I'm like a bat.
Speaker 1: Yeah, if you don't mind, if you're gonna be awake anyways, if things are looking bad for me and my family in Solina, would you mind just calling me.
Speaker 2: I'll send you an email, no call, just call.
Speaker 1: I won't be awake check my email. Let the phone ring till I answer. I don't want to wake you up. You know you'd rather die than be awaken.
Speaker 2: Thing is no matter what happens is you'll remember that I woke you up, though you won't forget that he's a terrible thing. You know.
Speaker 1: You guys just need to sleep in your storm shelter tonight. Yeah, I think that's probably the do. It'll be a fart coffin.
Speaker 2: Be good. The severe weather timeline again begins around three am, could last through the morning commute, so all your commuters out there make a little time in the morning. Who knows, we've seen these things peter out a little bit. The one thing that I am a bit worried about is there is been a little talk of wildfire potential in the east west Okay west. Yeah, because the tornadoes are east, right, the likelihood of tornadoes would be east of thirty five. You're using the thirty five corridor as your as your marker here from this and that includes me, so you know, be careful. Anything happens. Called Randy for your roof. You know he's based. Hopefully we don't get anything. Hopefully we're good. Like this is what comes. It was cold last week two weeks ago, the good weather's back, good vibes, and then it's like, well, here comes the storms. Don't eat it in my springtime. And then I remember spring doesn't start until the twentieth we.
Speaker 1: Uh, do you guys think we're gonna get another cold blast before this thing's done?
Speaker 2: I absolutely think there will be one mo one mo.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 2: No, I don't think it'll be like in the twenties, but I think we'll get down to the forties. I can do more toties.
Speaker 1: I just don't have to go out there and put that thing on my faucets outside.
Speaker 2: Oh god, yeah, the faucets. Yeah, for all that. I mean, just get down to thirty three and just don't go below that, all right, So everyone hold on to your butts, by the way. Friday high seventy nine, God, let's go, yes, sir, Saturday. So I went downtown Saturday on the outside. We went down to the Katie Trail. Go walk outside. You know, everyone's out there trying to get in shape. Is good. So I was just like, let's go walk to Katie Trail. Maybe you bumping to Troy or something. How's Katie doing. Let's see her very much anymore, you know. And then and then after you walk u or went for a good walk on the trail, then you just go have alcoholic drinks. It's the best way to get in shape. Because as I we left and came home about two o'clock, I'm gonna turn the TV on and happen to be on NBC five and they are breaking news something has gone down at the K. Bailey Hutching Convention Center in downtown Dallas. And I'll be damned if I'm not seeing tons of people just running down a sidewalk sprinting for something. I don't know what they're sprinting for. It turns out thirty thousand athletes, thirty seven hundred coaches, and seventeen hundred cheerleading teams were in town for the NCA All Star National Championship, the big cheer contest in Texas, and.
Speaker 1: Man, it is an ass whipping downtown when that thing is going on. Oh my god, we just one time, randomly happened to have a weekend thing where we're staying at the Omnia Hotel where it was in town, and there's just wall to wall cheerleaders and moms and just that whole scene and it is everywhere.
Speaker 2: Well, it sounds like the dads were the problem, not the moms, because a fight among parents and it was two men led to panic and then people freaking out on social media. Then there's concern that there's a possible shooting at the convention center, and NBC five was on it for about thirty minutes with just regurgitating the same two sentence as they knew they didn't know, because there's still as hard to figure out what's going on. The sound was the crash of polls that were not to the ground in the chaos, and then that triggered a bit of a stampede, and you got people running everywhere because some of those girls are little too. It's not old, just high school in college, right, yeah too, and like all the way up, yeah, all the way up right.
Speaker 1: Two dads start fighting over something, and all of a sudden, somebody knocks over like a stanch in or a pole. It makes a loud crack, and somebody assumes it's a gunshot, and people start running and tramp on each other. I was told by a reliable source, and I believe it to be true, especially because of how dumb the world is that the fight took place over nachos.
Speaker 2: Okay, well, that's worthy thing to fight over, is it? How could that even happen.
Speaker 1: So like somebody's at one of those concession stands and someone's nachos are up and people are arguing over whose order it is, or maybe someone got their cheese on another guy's shirt.
Speaker 2: Hey man, you got your ricoach cheese on my shirt. I don't know. Look, I don't know who your sources are on this. There's it was a guy that was there. Again, over thirty thousand people down there, so there's a lot of different stories about what went down. Yes, but we will trust in a top five market, your source, your single, you're supposed to have to. But whatever, I'm not a newsbreaker that nachos is the cause. Do we have anything other than skins? Guy? Is there any other theories? I haven't seen any other nacho theories. Have you seen any other theories that aren't nacho related? I haven't though, But I did see a bit of the brawl on social media. It's a bad fight. It did turn into oh yeah they're fighting. Yeah, oh yeah, yeah, that's terrible. Yeah, it's a couple of guys who were in great shape.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I wanted to talk, but you know, it wasn't it wasn't you know this wasn't some good like karate going on. It was it is a couple of guys are rough Now ten people taken to the hospital. They were injured. Uh, you know while evacuating the convention center. I mean police had to set up a reunification location for like families who had been separated. Though it's crazy.
Speaker 5: I got that on my phone, like as an alert that there is a reunification center or whatever, and that freaked me out because I was like, what, what's happening here?
Speaker 2: What did I miss? It's got that shop that the shooting downtown is I get the chaos? Yeah, I could not believe NBC five, you know, they had their rushing crews down there, I guess. And I saw a lady I don't know who it was, stick a microphone in the face of like three kids. So we're interviewing three kids now outside of the conventions center. How old are you? What's your name? Like full name of a nine year old? Look, what are we doing? Why are we doing? Like, let's get some more information and come back and put it back on golf.
Speaker 1: That's why my phone, I you know, it's on a couple of group texts, and people started saying, hey, there's an active shooter, you know right now downtown Dallas, like the Omni or something. I'm like what, And it was spreading like wildfire. It's crazy because, like you know, there wasn't. This happened a few years ago at North Park Mall.
Speaker 2: And all that happened was a kid slammed a skateboard on the ground, like multiple times, a high school kid, and everyone took takes off running And I was like, that's how things are gus when everyone's like sensitive to some action happening. I got one more story when we get to because today is the twenty seventh or the anniversary of Florida becoming of state, don't know. The Florida Man Games happened this weekend. Big success out there. They competed in lots of activities like as eat the Butt What that's a challenge where you eat a plate of port but as quickly as Poeah eating the butt challenge. They had human beer pong, a lawnmower racing pretty good, the Hurricane Party Prep, which is basically a grocery asl brawl, That's what it was.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I don't want to watch that. If there's footage anywhere.
Speaker 2: They were actually interrupted by a real Florida Man who rushed onto the field and started grabbing supplies. He's trying to steal interrupt the game. Wow, this happens every year, the Florida Man games. And I say it happens every this was year two. We're running it back. And yeah, so they eat the butt? Ideas pretty good. Idea. That is pretty good.
Speaker 5: So is it really televised anywhere live stream?
Speaker 2: I don't think No. I didn't see that. But do you eat the butt? Katie? Oh? Good pork butt? Oh my god? Do you pork butt?
Speaker 5: Guy?
Speaker 2: Mids season? I tell like a pulled pork if it's a butt or not. I'm not a big pulled pork guy, though, really get pulled. You don't pull the pork. No, it's like a good pork lawn. Okay, pork lawn lawn, orklawn.
Speaker 6: Ye.
Speaker 2: All right, there you have it.
Speaker 1: There's the weekly Weekday update coming up next in the Big Finish. Shane Gillis on SNL did he bomb the monologue? We'll talk about that next. It is the Ben and Skin Show ninety one point one.
Speaker 2: The Eagle.
Speaker 1: Thank you for hanging out with us today. Don't forget Dallas Maverick's Basketball to night, as the Sacramento Kings will be in town and you can hear all the action right here. I think the best way to do that is to make sure you get you some delicious pizza from Andrew's American Pizza Kitchen. They're the sponsor of this segment, badass pizza place right there in Plano at Preston and Plano Parkway five distinct of pizza and they've mastered them all. How do you know? They were voted best pizza place and all of Dallas by the Dallas Morning News readers. But it's not just that awesome pasta dishes. A very very good bar with a great beer selection. We know that because Rollertown Beer Works, our brewery that we're partners in that they have a lot of that on tap as well as other brands. Great cocktails, awesome wine selection. You are gonna love it. Right there in Plano, it's Andrew's American Pizza Kitchen. But right now it's time for.
Speaker 2: This thing's big Well, it's very interesting to see what happened at Saturday Night Live after a bit of a hangover after the big SNL fifty and everyone who is somebody in the entertainment world was there, and then they kind of have a week off and everyone's hungover. We got to get back to work and do the show, right. That's the thing. It's like everyone's been talking about SNL fifty for five years and it's like, oh, yeah, the show's back seven more episodes this year.
Speaker 1: I actually when I was looking at the guide, you know, sometimes I'm not like a religious watcher of SNL, but I record it all on DVR and then I'll go and look, go do I need to watch this one? And when it said Shane Gillis, I was like, Oh, I think this is a repeat, but I'm not sure. And then when I came home late after MAVs and it was in the middle of a weekday update and it was current news, I was like, oh, crap, I probably need to watch this from the beginning.
Speaker 2: Because he hosted last year in season forty nine, and it's very rare to come back that fast. I think with season fifty, Lorne Michaels or Lippowitz his real name, has just wanted to work with people that he likes. Because Nate Bargatzi came back after one year. So good. You've gotten Chappelle and Bilberr and all these like comedians and like he loves Ariana Grande whatever she get to host an episode. He loves Lady Gaga. Lady Gaga was your host and musical guest next week, like things like that, all the people he wants to work with a lot of times. Shane is a good one to have after rest and l fifty because you can go Shane Gillis is gonna have stuff and we might be a little dry, Okay, so it's a perfect perfect host. Shane Gillis your musical guest, Tate McCrae. Do you know anything about Tate McCrae.
Speaker 1: I had never heard of her before, but I'm an old man. I had just had a conversation about Tate McCrae a week ago with my wife, and I didn't know who that person was. But because their name was Tate McCrae, I thought it was a male country artist.
Speaker 2: It does sound like a male country artist. So I only knew her because she was a Season forty nine musical guest.
Speaker 1: Okay, we were driving and we were you know, Spotify will do Friday releases new Friday songs. So we were skipping through and when she pulled up, Tate mccray's like, I don't want to listen to new country. She goes, no, this is Tate McCray. She's an art she's a pop star. And started playing it and I didn't know what she looked like. And so watching SNL with my first time to see what she looked like, and man, I gotta say, and again, that's not my lane. That stuff is so boring, and I know what she's doing.
Speaker 2: My wife.
Speaker 1: People say, she goes, well, she's trying to be Britney Spears for this generation. And I'm sitting there watching it and she's spreading her legs a lot and wearing tiny shorts and all this, and I'm thinking to myself, you know where we're at in society. She's gonna need to perform a sexual act on stage to get anyone's attention because this music is boring and it just seems that she's copying what other people have done. Yeah, and Brittany had catchy bops. At least, who is her audience? Well, let me be like young girls.
Speaker 2: I'll listen to this.
Speaker 5: I go.
Speaker 1: Dez came home from being out on Saturday night my seventeen year old and I go, Dez, what do you think of Tate McCrae, And he goes, She's bad, And I was like, bad like her music sucks or bad like that's a bad bee.
Speaker 2: He goes like, that's a bad bee. Like, all right, I get it. They like her because she's sexy and her butt's hanging out, but she's known for being a good dancer or a dancer.
Speaker 1: Her songs are not good super good either. And she came out on a stack of metal chairs. I thought she was going to die on TV, Like, I can't believe that everybody knows those chairs.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think a mass halftime acting. Yeah, I mean it was very very much like that. But I thought she was going to fall.
Speaker 1: But the whole thing is she's going to turn to the audience and actually, I don't know if you guys have seen the cover of her album, but she and they showed it on SNL. She's facing the other way with her legs wide open. It's her colon. Yeah, and so it's like that whole thing. And I'm sitting there thinking about it and I'm like, you know, but part of it is I'm fifty and so I've seen all this before. And then after hearing my son's response, I realized, Oh, every generation's going to have one.
Speaker 2: They're all going to.
Speaker 1: Have their Brittany, we had Madonna. They're going to keep recycling this thing because it's new to them.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I mean, it's an old hat to us, but it's new to them, and that's appealing to teenage boys.
Speaker 2: Even with the artists Sudy that you don't know anything about, you can usually hear something and you might go, Okay, that's okay, you know, every even I remember last season she host when she was the music question of someone going.
Speaker 1: Jesus is bad. I thought, it's the same thing this week too. Yeah, I thought it was boring and lacked a good hook.
Speaker 2: Yeah. All right, well there was Tate McCrae. But Shane is the story here now. Shane was hired by SNL in twenty nineteen, and then everyone went out and found clips of him online in his podcast that he does and you know, tweets and things like that, and within one day NBC fired Shane Gillis from SNL. So he was going to be like just a regular cast. He was hired at the same time as Bow and Yang. Oh, and it was was it racist Asian? It was? It was Asian slurs, and Bow and Yang has been accused of doing that, and he has defended that a ton. He's been accused of being the one. He's just because he did the Asian and slurs doesn't mean the gay Asian guy went and wind to NBC. He's like the like the people did this, I did nothing. Yeah, and Lorne Michaels just said he did not do this. NBC made this decision. So Shane, you know, after five years, gets brought back to host last year. It's all good. We address it. I mean Norm McDonald. We've talked about this for normc donald hosted like within months after he was fired from NBC, and it was good. They had to wait five years until they were like, okay, we can put shade in there now. And then gets a bit of a joke and now we don't have to do it for the second time. We're not really gonna live off that joke. If I got fired last time. The monologue the first time was fine. This time it was rough. I'm gonna play you this is about the second or third joke here of the of the of the day. He started out with one Trump Wden Biden, Okay, play both sides, and then here we kind of get going.
Speaker 6: There's the thing I've noticed that white guys do, and most white guys I know do it, and nobody seems to be talking about it, all right, and it is racist. There's a thing white guys do that whenever they're dating a woman for the first time, they always ask them eventually, have you ever?
Speaker 2: Uh?
Speaker 6: I didn't even finish every one of you.
Speaker 2: It's a weird thing to ask. You shouldn't do it, do you know, Christina?
Speaker 5: I do, but I will say I've never had a guy ask me about it before.
Speaker 2: For those out there that don't know, it will get there. Yeah, all right.
Speaker 6: You got to find the right time to ask, though. You don't want to go too early with that. You look like a psycho. You don't want to be like on Tinder, like, have you ever had sex with a black guy before? It's a shameful thing to ask. All right, I've done it. I'm not proud I've done it. One time, I was in the car with the girl I was dating at the time. We were driving home from my friend Jamal's house all right, and out of nowhere. The girl I was day at the time, she just goes, hmmm, Jamal's handsome.
Speaker 2: I was like, all right.
Speaker 6: With me, I'm not insecure or racist or whatever would make me care about that. She brought it up, so now I can ask without looking like a psycho.
Speaker 2: So I was like, have you ever would you ever ever? Do you ever? Have you ever had sex with the black eyes? She was with you? Who know? I was like, Jesus Chris racist. All right, I'll tell you this now that I've got your He had done this a couple of times before that is Michael, Okay, lost you on that one.
Speaker 1: That's he does that a lot. Yeah, like he I think he enjoys like that awkwardness. Like almost every time I've ever seen him, he loses the audience and pushes it that far. And that joke. I think I've heard him do that two other times at least once. So I was like, wait, why is he just going through old jokes? Yeah, this is the thing. And I can't remember who told me this, but it was. This is in the last two months.
Speaker 2: If someone told me they were going to see Shane when he was at the American Airline Center. They're like, yeah, I don't know what to expect though, because like I've never I think they had seen him twice, and they're like, it was the same thing, and I see if he was if is this sustainable or not?
Speaker 1: Man and and a lot of comedians are like that, uh, there are I I bet I've seen Bill Burr live in person five or six times.
Speaker 2: I've never seen him do the same material twice.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And Chappelle is usually pretty good about not recycling material too. Some of it does get recycled, but those two guys are amazing at keeping it fresh. But when I saw Shane Gillis at the AC, I didn't recognize really anything.
Speaker 2: I thought it was all original. There may have been one or two other.
Speaker 1: Things he probably has, but this was I was like, oh wow, he went back even before this latest special like or his latest tour.
Speaker 2: Oh that's old, old materials. Yeah, oh wow, it's funny, like I've got eight minutes, so my best stuff. I don't know, but it was odd if it wasn't his best stuff. This was absolutely not his best stuff. What you're about to hear this was a wild joyce. And I don't think it's terrible. By the way, I think it's fine. I'm getting older.
Speaker 6: I can tell I'm getting older because the only thing I watch is historical documentaries. I also drink a lot, so I don't I haven't retained one piece of information. Turned on and I'm asleep. I've watched the same episode of World War Two in HD hold on.
Speaker 1: So this this goes back to like he's he's doing little pieces of material that are part of bigger things, like I've heard a bigger set up on that Jamal thing. I heard a bigger set up on this he talks about, you know, he makes fun of his dad for the way he watched the news, and he says, I'm a history buff. He goes that's early onset Republican, and so like this is old, uh huh.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And I think I mean, like, you get eight minutes, and Lord gets mad if you go past eight minutes, like comedians get a little longer leash eight minutes though you like it was eleven, we need to cut it down to eight, like okay, So it's tough if he's kind of got longer form bits. But the crowd was not loving this. I'm on episode one I've been on episode one for four years. Wake up at four am.
Speaker 6: It's still on volume at fifty episode eight Stalingrad.
Speaker 2: Just wake up to artillery every night.
Speaker 6: But my favorite historical documentary is it's called ken Burns Civil War. Also it's kryptonite to women. If you put that on, they will fall asleep. You know, yea some ken Burns. That's a little Cosby tip for you. Actually, who needs roofies when we have ken Burns presents the history of the Buffalo bbs?
Speaker 2: Like, that's pretty good. But they just were not going. And that's like the size of that studio that does show you there ain't many people there. There ain't many seats, I think too though it sounds better than it watched, Like, you know, the tension in the studio, it was just it was very dad, but it's better than it was.
Speaker 1: I think a big part of that is when the band behind him does not laugh. Yeah, they were just they were just yes. And you know when he was doing like the edgy you know, racist humor, you could see a black guy not laughing directly over his shoulder, but it's just tense, yeah, And I guess that's part of his bit too. Is to run fast and loose with the race stuff. All right, that's gonna do it for us today. But don't forget there is gonna be Dallas Mavericks basketball later in the meantime. I'll never forget the time KT looked Jamal dead in the eye and he said, well, I.
Speaker 2: Just think in these times, I think it's really important that we all consider everything when it comes to the world we're living in. God, what a waste of time that was.
Speaker 1: Christine is gonna play some music in the meantime next on the Eagle.
Speaker 2: Here you going. Well, I'm gonna get my sock backed dude. God bless Jesus.