Speaker 1: In this episode, we take a look at three stories all connected to the neat paper leak controversy. We talk about the use of an anti riot gun during the July twenty suns of March and what official records have revealed about it. We also look at what the Delhi government is proposing to do with protesters who have FIRS registered against them. But first we discussed the new anti cheating bill that was passed by the Looks of Her this week. Hi, I am Ahrikananda and you are listening to Three Things being an Express News show. After a two day long debate, the Looks of Our earlier this week passed the Public Examinations Prevention of Unfair Means Amendment Bill twenty twenty six. The bill expands on the twenty twenty four anti cheating law, which sought to curb unfair practices and bring greater transparency, fairness and credibility to India's public examination system. However, the bill's passage was accompanied by sharp exchanges between the center and the opposition. While the government described the bill as a milestone legislation in the history of Indian parliament, the opposition said the paper leagues had continued even after the twenty twenty four law, raising questions about its effectiveness.
Speaker 2: Those all peles of Krajo High Committee, those all High Committee. Can the sarkark direction make High Committee money Kerada question of former isrokchairman Akara. So those areas are q paper Leakua.
Speaker 1: So to learn more about the bill, it's key provisions and the concerns raised by the opposition, we speak to the Indian Expresses Vikas Park in this segment the cas Can you begin by talking about the provisions of this new bill and what does it seek to achieve?
Speaker 3: Yeah, So the new bill is an improvement on a twenty twenty four bill which was meant to cub malpractices and examination systems. So what they've done is that they have amended the original bill and made the provisions more springent. So basically, if we go by the core provisions of the bill, one change that one sees is that earlier, if an individual was caught, you know, engaging in exam malpractice or leaking papers, then you know, the fine was up to Rupee ten lac and imprisonment of three to five years. Now they have enhanced it to five to ten years imprisonment and a fine up to rupee fifty lacks. Now the second category is service providers, so if service providers are also involved in such offenses, the maximum fine has been increased from one crore to five crore and they'll be debarred from conducting public examinations for eight years. Earlier it was four years. The third thing is organized crime. If there's an organized crime network involved in paper leaks, then you know there'll be seven to ten years imprisonment. Earlier it was five to ten and the fine can be up to rupee ten crore. Earlier it was one crore. So basically they have made all the provisions more stringent.
Speaker 1: Right and what steps has the government taken since this year's Need Paper league to address the issue.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so basically they took multiple steps. One was that the Higher Education Secretary was shunted out. Then the government said that forty seven people had been terminated from National Testing Agency. However, they have not shared any details. It was also asked in parliament. You know that details should be shared. It was asked by gor Gogoi in Luksabah, but the details have not been shared. They have just said that forty seven people have been terminated that a part. You know, the Prime Minister also announced a task force under Nanda Nilkeni to kind of you know, reform the examination system. And after that, of course, there was the resignation of Pavana's Education minister.
Speaker 1: And because even so the bill has been passed in the looks ofha, there was a lot of back and forth between the Center and the opposition regarding it. What concerns were shared by the opposition, What questions were they asking.
Speaker 3: So, yeah, the opposition has been saying that this might just be eyewashed because they say that they were two clear neat paper leaks, you know, that have happened despite the lobbying in place. In fact, I think that there was an error in some of the opposition leader's statements there because actually the bill was passed in February twenty twenty four, so both the neat leaks, not just one, have happened after the law was in place. So they were just saying that how will the law itself curbit That was a question that you know, the opposition people were asking, and of course there's no clear answer for it. Of course, one can say that you know, you have a law against theft for murder and yet they happened. But the question of the opposition was how do you curb these exam paper leaks?
Speaker 1: Right, and we understand that questions we were also raised about how was treated in the parliament post his resignation, can you tell us about that?
Speaker 3: So basically, the next day after his resignation, when Thermain Pradhan reached parliament, vjpmps you know, gardended him, made him wear a turban and stuff like that, and of course the opposition people who did at him. So the thing is that the opposition was saying that if he has been made to resign, obviously there was some problem. Otherwise, why did you make him resign? And if he has resigned, is it so great a thing? That said that he was kind of felicitated by VJP members as if he had won a war against Pakistan. So the opposition basically was saying that if the minister has been made to resign under pressure, under pressure of a movement of students which spread across the country, not just in Deli, what is the point of projecting it as some kind of a great work that has been done by the education minister. That was the question, And.
Speaker 1: How did the Center respond to all these questions and allegations.
Speaker 3: So, of course, when Raoul Gandhi was trying to raise these issues, you know, he was asked to authenticate them, which basically means that what evidence do you have? Do you have a letter by the Home Minister to BGCRPF for tele Police Commissioner that such and such action has to be taken. Secondly, when Jitendrisingh was replying to the debate on this bill, he also targeted Raoul Gandhi saying that he had been very irresponsible in his use of language. And he said that the leader of Opposition should know that one firing orders are issued by a magistrate, they are not issued by a minister. And secondly he said that there was no firing, So basically by firing he meant no bullets for fire. The charge, of course is that of pellet comes.
Speaker 2: J harper.
Speaker 3: Go on parliamentary to and parliamentary expression, have.
Speaker 4: Yeah, idiot.
Speaker 1: So so, because now that this bill has been passed, what can we expect in the upcoming days?
Speaker 3: Now the bill will go to the other house, it will be passed by the Raja Sava and will become law. Via that law. The government will try to send out a message to the youth of the country that we have tried to our best to bring a very stringent flaw. That is where the government has been saying that we have made a very stringent flaw. In Factange the Thing said while introducing the bill in his initial address that this was the first government in independent India that had actually tried to bring a law to kind of curb examining malpractice and paper leagues. And he was saying that this first happened in twenty twenty two, and now this amendment was further improving the law. So the government will keep saying that we made a law and therefore we are taking action. We are not running away from accountability. The opposition, of course will it has already done so, will shift the whole narrative to the pellet guns being fired on students and the Latin charge. And of course once that is done, they'll also move on to the Ram Temple donation theft. That is the strategy of the opposition. But the opposition will continue to target the government over the action against students.
Speaker 1: Next, we returned to the cgp's Sunsetchalo March where new official records have raised questions are the force used against protesters. Official records have revealed that a Rapid Action Force personnel fired an anti riot gun twice during the twentieth July March, allegedly on the orders of a Deputy Commissioner of Police rank officer. The records mentioned the use of non electrical shells, electrical shells and tear gas shells during the crowd control operation. This matters because at least three people who participated in the protest sustained pellet injuries, including a del University student, a our Gaun based worker and a journalist. One of them is at risk of losing his eyesight, adding to the political fallout. Leader of Opposition Rahul Gandhi also raised the issue in the Looksaba earlier this week, questioning the use of forced during the protest and seeking clarity from the government on the circumstances under which such weapons were deployed.
Speaker 5: So the whole minister authorized for shootings are hey put pellets into the blood of our students.
Speaker 1: So to understand what do the official records say and what does this tell us about the handling of the Sunset Challow March by CGP Michael League. Chasharma is joined by the Indian Expresses Pragniesh who reported on the protests for the paper Prugnish.
Speaker 4: Until now, there have been conflicting claims about whether pellet rounds were used during the sunset Challow March, So talk about how do we read the new evidence that has emerged recently.
Speaker 5: So see the fact that the pellets were used has been pretty clear for some time now. Initially, when some of the victims had come forward with their tails of whatever happened and the pellet injuries that they have and their doctors confirmed the same, Dai Police had denied using any pellet weapons, which technically is still right because Daily Police doesn't possess any pellet weapons or as they are called, the arg guns, the anti ride guns, which are used to fire both pellet and tear gas shells. So the initial allegation was that Daily Police had used them, which they did not with their own two hands, if you want to say that. But as soon as these victims had come forward and stories were out everywhere, the CRPF and one of its units called the RAF, the Rapid Action Force, which is deployed during these riot like situations, they had said that they would initiate an inquiry to check whether any excessive force was used, So it was kind of an admission from their site that pellets have been used. One of the pictures that was being circulated around and I think it was for the first time published in our own paper, was where an RAF personnel was seen carrying arg gun and he was firing with it also, so that part was clear. The only thing was where a daily police had any role in it. Now what has emerged in the past forty eight hours is that one of the RAF officers which allegedly fired the pellet guns came to the Parliament Street police station is after this such allow March which was on twentieth July, and he came to the policetation on twenty second July and he put a general Dairy entry there claiming that he was ordered by an IPS officer from Deli Police to fire those pellets and that he fired two rounds of PP as it was mentioned in the dary entry which stands for plastic pellets. So that was the first proof of any sort of involvement of Daili Police in the firing of pellets.
Speaker 4: Right and for our listeners who may not be aware of what an anti riot gun is. Could you explain to us what this weapon is and how is it different from a conventional pellet gun and also under what circumstances is it supposed to be used.
Speaker 5: Okay, So anti riode guns and pellet guns, both of them can come under the category of non lethal weapons which can be used in riote like situations to disperse the crowd or control some unruly segments. So they have the capacity to injure you like by using tear gas or by using pellets, but they seldom have the capacity to kill anyone. But the injuries that happen as seen in this case also can lead to bodily impairments, loss of vision if you know, struck near the eye, or some kind of permanent deformation in the body if not used in the right way. So anti write guns are usually not used to fire pellets. They're mostly used to fire tear gas shells. There are separate pellet guns to fire pellets, but the argy gans have the capacity to fire pellets. So if in a right like situation there is a need to fire away pellets and the force doesn't have the exact pellet gun to use it for then they sometimes load rubber pellets or plastic pellets in the anti rite gun and fire it from them.
Speaker 4: Right and tritish. Well, police are dealing with the protest that turns confrontational. What legal framework governs the use of force, like who decides when officers can escalate from laties and tear gas to weapons like anti ride gun.
Speaker 5: So in these kinds of situations, in every zone, there are officers who are deployed with whom there are units which are following them. So it's usually in the hands of a particular officer who has been given the responsibility of a particular zone in a riot like situation to take the call of whether a pellet should be fired or what kind of force should be used against the writers. So, for example, in this case, this IPS officer was deployed in Zone one where the pellets were fired, and in the Zone one he was the officer who was commanding all the troops there, whether the policeman or the paramilitary, so it was on him to decide what kind of force has to be used. So it's like that every zone has a commanding officer who takes this call and Putnish.
Speaker 4: As you mentioned, we know that at least three people were injured, so do we know about how these injuries occurred.
Speaker 1: So we have.
Speaker 5: Managed to speak to three people. One of them was Sahilo Chab, one is Shard, and the third one who doesn't wish to be named, is a journalist with the Outlook magazine. So I think both I, Shad and Sahil had very severe injuries. Shad still has some of the pellets stuck in his body and there is a surgery which has to be undertaken. And in the case of Sahilo Chap, one of the pellets was stuck under his right eye and the doctors have claimed that he might only have one person chance of recovering any sort of vision in his right eye. So, as I previously said, these kinds of injuries can lead to impairment in bodily functions if they are hit near eyes or joints. So in Saia's case, I think it has been the most consequential, as but doctors that he might have to live without sight for the rest of his.
Speaker 4: Life and punished. Earlier, you spoke of the general diary entry. Could you help us understand what exactly it is and why is an entry like this considered important evidence?
Speaker 5: So if in a right like situation, you have used any kind of weapons, lethal or non lethal, so there is a record which the police has of how many of these were handed out and how many of them have returned. So when you hand out a certain number of guns and a certain number of bullets or in this case, certain number of pellets and some of them don't come back to the markhana of police where all of this is cap you have to give a record of where it was used and how it was used. So in this particular case, because pellets were used, because tear gash shells was used, it's not something which officers are you know. I mean, of course, officially they are expected to do it exactly when they have used it. But unofficially speaking, they can go and give a record of it even a couple of days after the incident has happened. So they're kind of expected to write it down in a log book kind of a way. And the role of general diary is here like used in the same way though, even when some person comes to the polictician to file a complain, one of the first entries that is done is in general diary that this this person came and there is this what is you know the person told us. If the police are involved in any encounter, the first entry they do is in a general diary that this encounter happened, we fired these many bullets. These many bullets were filed upon us. So it's that sort of a thing. It's sort of a logbook of whatever happened in a particular day.
Speaker 4: But how common is the use of anti riod guns in crowd control in India? Are they considered a routine part of police and protests?
Speaker 5: Using pellets is not a routine thing. The first time it was used was in Kashmir when the paramilitary and military there were trying to control the crowds. But that is the severity of it, and that is the rarity of it that it has to be used in a super sensitive zone like Kashmir, and it's not something which is regularly used in civilian areas during riot like situations. But in this case it was used in Delhi. I don't think there is any record past ten twenty years of pellet guns being used to control a crowd, So it's kind of a rare call today that's why there is so much you know, who are around this whole thing that how could police or the paramilitary execute an order of firing pellets on civilians who are protesting?
Speaker 4: Great and so plugnish at the moment, what investigations are now underway see.
Speaker 5: Officially speaking, again, the Home Ministry took cognitions of this issue. There was a meeting of high level officers in the police headquarters day before yesterday where this concerned hypas officer was called upon and he was offered a chance to give his side of things, and what he told the meeting was that he was not standing at that particular location when these shots were fired, and as per people who were present in the meeting, he had his device's location to prove that he was not there. Soon after, it was also found that the RAF personnel who had fired these shots was also not present in that zone when these shots were exactly fired. So they're kind of using these you know, small details to cover up this thing. Home Ministry, unofficially speaking, is going to back the officer in this case. They will use whatever means that is necessary to support this officer and try to take the investigation as slow as they could but as of now, the version from this IPA's officer that has come is that he was not present there and he was not the one who had you know, ordered these shootings. So it needs to be you know, still verified that whose version is right, whether the general diary is right or whether what the officer is saying right now is the right vergin. One of the discrepancies that you know, they found in this investigation was also the fact that why did this array of personnel come two days after the incident had happened and then logged himself in the book. So this is the current status of the investigation as of now.
Speaker 1: And in the end we talk about what Deli government is proposing to do with protesters who have FILS registered against them. The Indian Expresses guid three money reported that yesterday the Deli government approved the withdrawal of thirteen fils registered in connection with the Cocora Junta Party or the CGP protest at Juantramantha. It said no action will be taken against those involved in the protests, but as per the Supreme Court's mandate, the protection would not extend to those with criminal antecedents. The Deli government further said that it does not propose to take any further adverse action against the individuals involved in the protests and the matters shall be treated as closed without any future proceedings. On this account. The three rites that the CGP had earlier alleged a complete breach of the understanding reached with the Center on July twenty five, pointing to the arrest of hundreds of students in BGP ruled states, CGP spokesperson Ashutoshranka had said that as by the agreement, all fils against protesters should be immediately withdrawn, students should be released and no fresh fils should be filed by the DLI Police, Central Investigation Agencies or police in the BGP allied states. If the needful isn't done, the CGP will be forced to resume its protests. After this statement, the ruling BGP governments in Bihar and Islam had confirmed that charges will be dropped and protesters detained before six pm or the twenty sixth of July will be released. You were listening to Three Things by the Indian Express. Today's episode was edited and mixed by Surish Babar and produced by Ichasharma I Meherri Kananda. If you like the show, then do subscribe to us wherever you get your podcasts. You can also recommend the show to someone you think we'll like it, share it with a friend or someone in your family. It's the best way for people to get to know about us. You can also tweet us at Express podcast and write to us at podcasts at Indian Express dot com