Speaker 1: Being Company with Nick Coffee today at three on Sports Talk seven ninety, and.
Speaker 2: It is it.
Speaker 1: It's time for Coffee and Company, fueled by Thornton's on Sports Talk seven ninety, Holy crap, I.
Speaker 3: Don't know who the hell we think when we are get.
Speaker 2: Off our show, idiot.
Speaker 1: The kids are crying or turning off, crying.
Speaker 3: The countries are.
Speaker 2: Screwing it up.
Speaker 1: Gold Play Inner Murals, Brother, gold Play Inner Murals.
Speaker 4: They're supposed to be mature adults, but they're really not.
Speaker 2: Who's the kid here?
Speaker 3: Who's the kid here?
Speaker 2: Are you kidding me? Now? Here's Nick Coffee?
Speaker 5: All right, Good afternoon, ladies and gentlemen. Welcome in to a Thursday edition of Coffee and Company, Nick Coffee. That's me Austin Montgomery alongside, fueled by Thornton's taking you up till six o'clock kick back, Relax, make yourself at home, get warm because it's really really cold outside. Austin said it right about five minutes ago that the cold weather it's just, I mean, it sucks. It's today's the day where it seems like clearly it's been really cold lately. That's why we've got snow still piled up all over the city. But today when I walked outside, even though it's really sunny, kind of deceiving.
Speaker 4: It is freezing outside.
Speaker 3: I can't stand it.
Speaker 6: It's the deception of walking outside and seeing like through your window that like, oh my god, there's sun and absolutely nothing has melted.
Speaker 5: I feel like today's one of the brightest days ever. I'm sure it's not. It's it's it's just maybe we haven't had much sun. But man, it is bright as can be outside. And yes, it is deceiving. You think maybe they'd be melting some of this stuff, but not really. It's still freezing, and we got more winter storms heading our way.
Speaker 3: So I mean, look at you. You're layered up. Mind, I am a good jacket and a hoodie.
Speaker 6: And man, these studios and they usually are typically warm, but it's it's tough to adjust after coming from us.
Speaker 5: Yes, yes, and I made the mistake. It's usually not that big of a deal. But I was running errands earlier today and I got back to the house and I pulled in the garage and I did not shut the garage. I just left the garage open, went inside. Was probably in there for I don't know, maybe forty five minutes before I headed back out to come to come to work, and it was insane how quick my car froze. And again it wasn't that, you know, it was it was covered too, I mean it was in the garage just with that wind whipping in.
Speaker 2: It was.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's it's cold outside.
Speaker 5: And according to our partners over at wk Y, the winter storm watch has been issued and I guess it'll start technically tomorrow tomorrow afternoon, but yes, it's a widespread two to five inches of snow will be possible for this area. Says here that the storm will will have some noticeable differences. All precipitation will fall in the form of snow, so I guess we don't have to worry about any of the uh, you know, the ice and the freezing stuff that we got. But that also, uh means we've got more snow that's just gonna fall and layer on what is already just a bunch of ice. That's That's what's really stood out in the last two days for me is that clearly there's a whole lot of snow, and a lot of it's been shoveled and moved and at least on the main roads and parking, lots of that kind of stuff. But there's still a ton of ice out there, which of course is you know, really dangerous. But it looks like tomorrow around by the time. I guess it depends on where you are. But if you are in you know, the Louisville area, that's that's a big general area. But it seems like eleven am, it's gonna start heading you know, it'll be it'll be coming from the Evansville Owensboro area, so it'll be heading east, I guess northeast towards US and by about uh, let's see here, you know, when you get to five o'clock, that's about whenever it's gonna be you know, at its at its heaviest, I suppose, and.
Speaker 3: Other words get used to it.
Speaker 5: Yeah, And so like my wife, they've already said that they're gonna send their their employees home at one o'clock tomorrow, which which you know that that tells me that they are they're that worried about it. This is she works in the financial industry. So therefore banks, credit unions to that kind of stuff. They usually don't Cloe. I mean, people need their money, they're they're they're usually going to be open if possible, regardless of weather. So I guess leaving early will get you out maybe home before it starts getting real bad. I uh, I'm going to Pittsburgh this weekend, which I mean, I'm that's the plan.
Speaker 4: But here's here's our here's here's what we're doing.
Speaker 5: And I'm now getting a little worried because, uh, I don't want to get stranded on the road on Friday night up to Pittsburgh. So here's what we decided to do. We're gonna leave right after the show Tomorrow's. So my dad, he lives across the river here in Jeffersonville, He'll have my nephew and my my son, and then I'm gonna go pick them up right after the show, and we're gonna head to Columbus and stay in Columbus, Ohio for the night, get up and get to Pittsburgh in the morning and the games at noon, and then we'll have a day there and we will be rooting for the Ravens against the Steelers while we're in Pittsburgh, so we got to be a little careful about that. But anyways, while driving up to Columbus, like I feel like I may be like I'm basically going to be riding with the snowstorm up to that exact area, which not ideal.
Speaker 3: Great.
Speaker 5: Yeah, so I mean I'm not going to cancel the trip. I mean, I know, I don't. I mean, this is We're gonna try to We're gonna make it work. Like maybe we end up realizing that we have to stop a little sooner than Columbus because we just want to get somewhere, stay the night and let this storm ride out. And I would assume the more north we go, the more prepared those areas are going to be for a lot of snow. But yeah, this is the first time. Maybe this is just karma coming back on me because I happen to love the snow that we got a few days ago.
Speaker 4: It's been a little bit of a weird week with the schedule with kids.
Speaker 5: Not being in school and my my son's daycare is closed and all that. But you know, I snowstorms and sort of what they bring until you know it really inconveniences you, uh, And if in fact we get what they're expecting tomorrow, I have a feeling it's gonna be me.
Speaker 4: That's that's thinking. Yeah, this sucks. It's kind of pretty.
Speaker 5: But man, when you actually want to go do stuff and mother Nature gets in the way, that's that's when you you know you hate her. So anyways, prepare yourself. The cold weather will be here at least for the next couple of days, and we got more snow expected tomorrow. All right, so a lot to get into here for these next three hours. I mean, there is a ton I want to to try to run down until or until we get out of here at six o'clock. And I'll start with just some big, big breaking news. Of course, We've got a college football playoff matchup tonight Penn State and Notre Dame. Notre Dame currently favored about point and a half. But about an hour ago news broke that Carson Beck, the Georgia quarterback, who wasn't he a part of I mean, did he? I know he's been there for a while and he's been really good. But did he win a championship with Georgia.
Speaker 3: Or was it last time the Bennett?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 4: I think didn't Stetson Bennett win two? I think he did.
Speaker 5: I can't remember because they went back to back, yes, and I think he was the starting quarterback he was, yeah, so yeah.
Speaker 3: Beck wasn't. He wasn't. Uh, it wasn't behind him, was he?
Speaker 4: He was?
Speaker 3: Okay, yeah.
Speaker 4: So so he's been there the whole time.
Speaker 5: He took over in twenty twenty three, which was last season, and then this current season he was. So he's there been their starting quarterback twice, and that was the two years that they did not they did not win the National Championship and they kind of took a step back.
Speaker 4: However, he's he's in the transfer portal.
Speaker 5: He had initially announced he was going to go to the NFL Draft, but just about everybody I heard talking about that decision said he was making a mistake because of course, he doesn't look like he's going to be ready to play in the NFL now and maybe ever. So he's now decided to enter the portal, and clearly there's going to be a lot of interest. I've seen that this is apparently already a done deal that he's well, I guess, not official, but it sounds like he was looking to go to the NFL d and that was his plan until somebody from Miami got a hold of him or his representation and said, look, we'll give you this if you don't go to the NFL Draft and you come back to college and play for US, and I would imagine that was probably a pretty big time offer.
Speaker 4: So that's just huge news. And that's where we are in college sports.
Speaker 5: I mean, clearly it's going to be a big talking point, and it already is as we speak, probably all across the country for those who cover and love college football. But it's not necessarily big news because you're just like stunned. I mean, you're going to see prominent players who played for some of the best. I mean, we've already seen it. There's examples of it out there in college basketball.
Speaker 4: Obviously.
Speaker 5: You know Caleb Love and he's been around for a long time. Right started his career at Carolina, was a big time player, took them all the way to the National Championship game, and then decided to transfer to Arizona. I kind of feel like maybe Hunter Dickinson could fit into that example. But Michigan wasn't great, but clearly he was one of the best players in the country and certainly a prominent guy for a team that underwhelmed, of course, but still you know, solid, so people knew who he was, and then he goes to Kansas, one of the premier programs. So it still at times hits me like, wow, this is so new in the grand scheme of things, right, like college sports for the forever was was pretty it was much, to put it lightly, much different. But what I was getting at is you just had the same exact system for decades generations, right, the old amateurism model that they tried to stick with, And that really isn't that. I mean, that's the biggest reason why we're in this position now, why it's such a free for all. There's no regulations, nobody seems to really even know what the rules are. They're just doing whatever and hoping they can get away with it. All of that is due to the fact that the NAA did not adjust and just and let this build up to where they got sued and a judge told him, yeah, what you've been doing, but like the last I don't know, one hundred years, that's illegal.
Speaker 4: You can't do that. So it's a whole new world now.
Speaker 5: And at times I still think like wow, just imagine because again, think about like college basketball and college football in the mid two thousands, in the nineties, or heck, even ten years ago. Like the thought of one of the best players in the country, who has you know, produced not only for his team, but put you know, just a guy that clearly was a rock star within the sport in that time. You would think, well, if he's coming back, he must not have NBA interest or NFL ench, or he must not be ready to go to the pros. But man, he's killing it and he's at a school that's already winning. Why would he ever leave? Well because of money. Now, like imagine, you know, Russ Smith comes back from from and this loives may not be a great example because I have a feeling when it comes to basketball players, especially in that era, we would not be getting out bid by many teams.
Speaker 4: However, just think about Russ. Russ came back after Louisville.
Speaker 5: Won the national championship if you remember, and that was that twenty fourteen team. Luke came back as well, but Russ was I mean, that was when Russ became a legend. I mean, to be honest with he was still great as a senior, but that junior year when he won the national championship. Of course he had a great team around him, but Russ Smith was the rock star of that team and one of the best players in the country. So imagine if you know, there's a team out there at that point that just has money nobody else could match. And I mean, I doubt he would do it, and I probably shouldn't use Rus as an example because I don't want to make it seem.
Speaker 4: Like I think he would have. But that kind of stuff didn't exist.
Speaker 5: It wasn't even something anybody ever thought about because it wasn't possible, Like it just there was no scenario where anything like that would ever happen. Well, now it's just an absolute free for all. And what you have here is professional sports. I mean that is quite literally what this is. Free agency season exists. You can become a free agent and you can get paid to play and you have agents. Like this is professional sports when it comes to the high level college football, college basketball, and you know, I guess technically it is elsewhere, but clearly the sports that have the biggest amount of money, the most money coming in, right the revenue generators, which of course is college football mostly and then some college basketball. That's where it just you know, it's in your face. You know, you still you go watch, you know, because you can be a free agent, and because you can get paid that that technically means that it's it's pro like it's a job. But you can go to Nightshall and watch Scott Davenport and Bellerman play Stetson and you won't really think about that, right, But when you get to the higher level, you know, it's in your face.
Speaker 4: These guys are making a lot of money.
Speaker 5: They got you know, fancy cars, and they're you know, they've they're larger than life and they're probably making big, big time money, more money than maybe their coach.
Speaker 4: I mean that seems that seems.
Speaker 5: Far fetched, but it's not crazy, right, I mean, who is the guy who ended up at uh at Washington Great osctin bar I remember that guy we were tracking in the portal?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean the huge nil deal.
Speaker 4: Yeah I don't.
Speaker 5: I don't believe he got what they claimed he got, but you would have if Louisville, if Louisville was was willing to bid the highest. They've been paying that guy more than they pay their coach. Like, you know, that's just it's it's it's very much pro sports directly in your face. And I'm not like I'm I'm i don't. I don't ever want I'm not I'm not kidding you. And I'm stuttering here because I was trying to rack my brain to to to see if maybe I don't think I've ever once while watching my team play or another team play, I never have once thought about guys being paid to play, Like it's.
Speaker 4: Never even entered my mind.
Speaker 5: Now maybe, you know, maybe it will at some point and I'll start thinking, hey, we're not getting a great return on this investment. Like I just I just I don't. You know, it doesn't bother me, but there are some people that that when they watch the sport and they know these guys are no longer out there just for the love of the game, it turns them off. And I don't really I can't relate, But you know, everybody's different. In fact, since we're talking in ail stuff, let me throw this at you, Austin, because I was talking to an assistant coach during the Christmas break, just catching up with some friends and one of my buddies.
Speaker 6: You're an assistant coach, by the way, am I.
Speaker 3: I thought you're assistant coach.
Speaker 4: Oh that's right, that's right.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Uh And and man, I'm glad you brought that up because I got to tell you a really sweet.
Speaker 3: Story, real quick coaching, realm Yeah.
Speaker 5: So because we're going to the game in Pittsburgh, me Mason's Pop Paul, of course, my dad and my nephew Luke. You know, he knows we're going to watch the Cards play and he knows that, like you know, we're excited. And last night at dinner, he said, do you are are you going to tell Pat Kelsey that Pop Paul can help him coach if he needs him. And I thought it was the sweetest thing ever. And I was like, yeah, I may see if we can get maybe, yeah, I'll see if I can get get somebody to let him know that, because yeah, you might need his help.
Speaker 3: And that's right.
Speaker 5: And then he told my dad to make sure and bring his whistle, his whistle because he kind of a whistle for.
Speaker 6: I love the other day when we were at the game where he's just kind of I mean, he he knows what's going on, but like asking about the score. Oh yeah, like at halftime, who's winning? Like at that stuff's.
Speaker 4: Very he was winning. Are we winning? Do we like them?
Speaker 6: He's just cheering. He doesn't even care if they lose him winning. He's just cheering. I love it.
Speaker 4: Man.
Speaker 5: He asks a billion questions an hour, it seems, and I just try my best to give him whatever answer I can. But anyways, back to the conversation about the assistant coach I was talking to, And I never would have thought of this, but this makes total sense if you're an assistant coach in your you know, at A at A, I mean, heck, I guess it could be any level, like the highest level. I was gonna say the the guy that I'm referencing coaches at the lower level. But if you've got four players on the team making more money than your staff, like that's that's weird, Like that's yeah, I mean again in the NBA, in the NFL, like that's totally normal, and it's it's under it's it's understood. But I mean, I feel like that could cause a riff. Like there's nothing you can do about it. If you're an assistant coach, like you understand, like, hey, you know, we need to have money available to go pay these players. But once you realize that these guys are making more than you, I mean, maybe you just maybe you chalk it up and you think to yourself, well, hey, this is this is what we got to do, or maybe you think, man, this isn't the industry I got into. I don't like coaching guys, Like how can I How can I coach these guys up and really command their respect whenever they know that they're making more money than me and I'm I'm a coach, I'm an authoritative figure like I could it could get in your head. So he brought it up because he said there have been some programs that he knows that have had some real turmoil within just because the environment's just off, because it's just like it's it's it's it's not ideal, and and that's something that probably doesn't get enough credit. And I don't mean for any specific program around here, but I feel like it would be very difficult when you have money now involved where guys are getting paid, and clearly they're getting paid different amounts. It's one thing if if you're not having a ton of roster turnover, but when you build a team from scratch and you and you know that nil was a factor probably a huge factor with some of these guys as far as why they came to Louisville, like having everybody collectively kind of you know, and again I feel like that would be more difficult to do the people realize. But maybe I'm not giving you know, these guys credit as far as maturity, because that's life, right, Like, let's be honest. There's a guy down the hall, he's balled, he's beautiful, he's on a different radio station right now. He makes probably a lot more money than I do. And like I'm not I get that, Like I'm not. That's not something where I'm like, wait a second, because Terry's you know, clearly in a different planet than me when it comes to this this industry, in this business.
Speaker 4: So you know that that's life. But just because you would.
Speaker 5: You you know, just because you know, going in to any career path that like you're gonna end up working with people that do different jobs than you at that same company. They're going to make more money. It's just how it is. These guys that are playing college basketball. I mean, some of these guys that are playing college basketball, when they started playing, this wasn't a thing. So like it you know, and it's still eight between eighteen to twenty two years old. You know, like maybe maybe it's not immaturity. But it's just it's one thing when you're going to work, you're punching, punching the clock. But I don't think these guys still fully look.
Speaker 4: At this as a job.
Speaker 5: Just yet it is, and they're utilizing that component to make the most out of the situation. Right, stick out or hang out in college as long as you want, and try to put away a lot of money before you start your career after sports because you're not a pro. Like in that aspect, they are realizing. But like, I don't, you know, I don't think you would have a whole lot of success if truly everybody just looked at it as a job. Like you still have to have a giba. Damn, you still have to really love it. You have to work hard, you have to buy in. And I think programs that are struggling, but yet you know they should be better because they've got all this nil money and they brought in this guy and that guy. I think when you under whelm, I'm sure there's a lot of factors that could lead to that, but I think one of them is just because it was really just a business transaction. There wasn't as much hunger and real energy towards competing and really winning at a high level as a team and balancing all that is is just a new challenge that we have here in college sports.
Speaker 6: And we're still in the new stages of that to where it doesn't seem like a job now, but think three four years down the line, where these guys are going to seem like, I mean, it might come to contracts by that point, these guys are going to seem like highly contracted, sought after guys. And you look at I mean, you just mentioned that players could be possibly make it more money than the coach. And remember a couple of years ago when the first debate about nil and players getting paid was happening, It was a lot of concern was talking about the locker room, Well this guy might get paid more than this other player, the player, not the coach. And then when you're seeing things like on x or on social media where you're seeing like a fifth year senior that's either thinking about transfer or staying, they're using terms like quote, agreed to terms to stay at this school.
Speaker 3: They're agreeing to terms.
Speaker 6: Basically like signing a new contract, and like it's absolutely insane.
Speaker 4: It is, and I think.
Speaker 5: In a way, because before nil, these guys got what's called like cost of living, which was like a stipend to where they were. They were able to make a little money and clearly they didn't have to pay for anything, so you know, they weren't clear. But the whole argument was that the NSABA is making a ton of money off of what they do, and they are part of their employee. They are employees, and they should they should get a revenue share, and that's that's that's what that's what this recent lawsuit did in fact decide. However, you know, whenever the players are going to be paid next year, I think it is right the revenue share that's coming where all the schools have to I mean, you can, you can pay up to I think it's twenty and a half or twenty two million dollars.
Speaker 4: That's what you're allowed to share. That's the max.
Speaker 5: So obviously with that, I think you will see guys kind of like from that standpoint. I could be wrong here, but I feel like it will be okay, eighty percents going to football. We are going to split that up between all the scholarship players, and that's still going to be a lot of money for these guys. But and at that point, if if that was it and that's just how they're getting paid now truly a revenue share, and they're still making a lot of money, that would make it to where it's back to kind of the stipend thing, to where it's just like everybody's getting the same so it's whatever, Like it's not really it's just you know, you're not really competing for more. You're getting what you're getting. They're getting what they're getting. It's the same thing.
Speaker 4: Who cares. But NIL is still going to exist.
Speaker 5: Therefore, I mean you're still going to see guys that are going to get whatever they're getting from the revenue share and the kicker because again I would say, Bama, Georgia, any power program that wants to succeed is going to be able to it's going to have to maximize and say we're sharing the most they're going to allow us to share. So when every school is basically offering the same amount because of the max then we're right back to this point of Okay, well, whoever can throw the biggest NIL deal out there, that's what's going to get me. Because I you know, when it comes to picking the school's pre and ile. It's the same thing. So anyways, quick break, we'll come back. Keep this thing rolling along. It's coffee and company, and we are fueled by Thornton's right here on Sports Talk seven ninety.
Speaker 1: Now back to coffee and Company, fueled by Thornton's on Sports Talk seven nine day.
Speaker 4: I should have mentioned this earlier, but I forgot. We are actually out of here early.
Speaker 5: Today because of a basketball game that'll be broadcast here, so we will be with you for roughly the next hour and fifteen minutes. Four forty five, is is that right?
Speaker 3: Yep?
Speaker 5: All right, So we'll make hard out hard what heard out hard out hard out hard hot hard end hard.
Speaker 4: On Okay, make it sure heart out we four forty five today, so t.
Speaker 3: Ever hard way you like it.
Speaker 5: Actually, we will make the most of the time that we do have here. And this person on the text line says Nick Pittsburgh native, But I went to u OFL glad to hear you're coming up with the game.
Speaker 4: Hit me up and I'll get you a beer.
Speaker 5: Don't tell me that and then and then be surprised when I do hit you up, like I have your I have your number, now you're on the text line.
Speaker 3: And a beer. How silly of him?
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean, how about how about a beer from old man? I mean, how about a beer from my how about a beer for my son?
Speaker 4: That would be wrong? Kidding? Uh? How generous are you willing to be?
Speaker 5: No, I'm kidding uh, And it be awesome And and look if I'm not going to stalk you or anything like that, but if you see me and you know you do want to offer me a beer, I'm not. I am not against uh taking free beer from people who want to who want to offer. So their arena in in uh in Pittsburgh is probably that's the Zoo, right, Yes, it's one of the newer Maybe I'm wrong. The Peterson Event Center is what it's called. And it's on campus and it's it's beautiful. It's perfect size as far as like you don't have to have a ton of people there for to be a pretty rowdy atmosphere, and it's nice, like I want, I wanted to say that it's it's one of the newer arenas in the A C C. The Young Sinner what ten years old now or actually longer than that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's twenty Yeah, it's so.
Speaker 4: Other than that.
Speaker 5: And I'm sure there are plenty of others that I just don't know about that are new, but when I went. In fact, i've been to pitt twice for Louisville games. Went the last year of coach Mack, and then I went the year before that in the COVID year whenever they played up there and went to overtime. But anyways, it's a really nice venue.
Speaker 4: Pittsburgh. Again, we talked about it not that long ago.
Speaker 5: I feel like it it's a city that when it comes up in casual social conversations, there's not many people gonna go out of their way to say anything positive about it, not saying it's gonna be getting dumped on all the time, like Cleveland, Like Cleveland, in Buffalo, I feel like our cities that everybody's like, yeah, those places suck, though, and I have no reason to think that they do or don't. I don't know, but nonetheless, Pittsburgh's not to that level. But I just don't feel like people realize it's actually an awesome city. It's a great sports town, probably not great in the winters, but it's beautiful this time of year, and it's it's awesome. So I'm looking forward to to going up there, and I'm hoping that Louisville can bring back a victory because it would certainly be a big one. And Pitt I have no clue anytime I've you got to keep in mind, pitt has been terrible in basketball for a long time, and this year I think it's Cable's one of his best teams. I mean, he's had a couple of good teams, Like he really kind of, you know, saved his job in the last few years because I feel like, and how long has he been there.
Speaker 4: I'm gonna look it up now.
Speaker 5: Because Cable took over for Stallings, who of course replaced and Jamie Dixon, and clearly Stallings, I mean was one of the worst hires you'll ever see. I mean at the time, I kind of actually know at the time he'd run it'd run its course with Stallings at Vandy, and Vandy was elated that that Pittsburgh wanted him, so they got rid of him. And he was really really bad at pitt I mean, didn't they go like two years I think without winning a league game.
Speaker 3: I mean, they was pretty bad. They were a bad star.
Speaker 5: Yeah, so Caple's been there since twenty eighteen, and he never won more than six games in acc play. In fact, he went three and fifteen, six and fourteen, six and ten, six and fourteen in his first four years, and I think at that point you started to think, Okay, are they gonna are they gonna keep this guy? And then since then, I mean, he's he's done well. He I mean, well, he's done a lot better, I should say. I still feel like though at times they've had teams where I'm like, you all should be better, Like you have good players, they always play tough, they're physical, usually have some good balance as far as leading scorers. But yeah, in twenty twenty three they made it to the round of thirty two. They went fourteen and six in the league. Last year they were twelve and eight, and I don't think they made the tournament. Maybe I'm wrong. But then this year they're off to a good start again. I think it's one of his better teams, maybe his best team. So I say all that to say, I have no clue what their crowd is going to be like, because when they were good, like back in the prime Big East days, right like twenty I mean got to keep in mind for a while when Louisville was in a really good stretch there with t will Earl k that era. Pitt was up there with them every year. Oh dude, Dewan Blair absolutely hated lev Ance Fields.
Speaker 4: Remember that guy. Oh dude, yeah, Gary McGee like they.
Speaker 3: Had it's a guy that got crossed by m it is.
Speaker 5: Yeah, in goodness, gracious he was. He was an interesting looking guy.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 5: But yeah, So this pit team, you know, when they're good, I feel like they have great support, like their students. I remember it was the duo of David Paget and Derek Character in two thousand and eight where Character had a hell of a game. I mean, he was a talented guy, and I feel like that was like the first time he played where you're like, Okay, this guy's pretty special. But yeah, they had Aaron Gray, remember the big old white guy they had. Cam and Blair played together, and I remember Character and Paget kind of got the best of that duo, which was kind of surprising considering how good Pitt was. And I just remember winning there and it being a big win and their crowd being like really crazy. So the last few times I've gone. It hasn't been that.
Speaker 6: Their crowd was like so it seemed to at least on TV, was so close to the court. Yes, like and you just see that whole student section from the hardcam side.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it was.
Speaker 5: Uh, I mean they had a great run and then I mean they kind of fell off in a way to where you're thinking, like, man, well, in fact, I'll just I don't want to act like they're terrible, because again, it would be a humongous win for Louisville thing go on the road and get it done. But Pitt, I mean, they're kind of an example that when you are not only irrelevant, but like really bad consistently for many many years and just not a threat at all. I kind of forgot that they were really good at one point, you know what I mean, Like it wasn't just like they had one all.
Speaker 4: It wasn't like they had one is it? What's is it? Andy Dick? What is is it? Jamie Dixon?
Speaker 3: Jamie Dixon?
Speaker 5: Okay, I think I said something wrong the wrong name earlier. In fact, yeah I did, so Jamie Dixon was there, and again now that we're talking about it, I totally remember it. But like, I mean, they were really good. We're talking, you know, sweet sixty two of his first four years Elite eight, like they never broke through to go to the final four with him, but they had They had some really good teams. I mean, in two thousand and nine they were thirty one and five fifteen and three in the Big East. The next year they were twenty five and nine, thirteen and five in the Big East. I mean, they had some really really good teams. And when you fall off like they did, I mean two thousand and and I guess really the last two years of I could really last four years were kind of a drop off for him at Pitt but they were still solid.
Speaker 4: And then they made the move to.
Speaker 5: Stallings and then Capel and for a long stretch there from about two thousand and fifteen, I guess to today, they've not really ever been a threat. And this year I happen to believe. And maybe I'm wrong. Maybe this is the Homer in me, which I don't feel like I'm a Homer at all for the ACC, but I actually think they're better than you know.
Speaker 4: They're good regardless of the ACC being.
Speaker 5: Down in my opinion, but they're a team right now with a let's see because this, in fact, they may be a good example as to what we should expect on selection Sunday as far as the committee and what kind of value they're going to give the ACC because Pittsburgh right now, I mean, let's see where they stand in the Pittsburgh currently and the kin Palm is at twenty seven. They're twelve and three. Their losses are to all tournament teams, all good teams, in fact, all top twenty teams. They have losses to Wisconsin, close loss. They got beat bad by Mississippi State, but they're really good and that was on the road. And then they lost to Duke of course recently and that was a blowout. So you know, none of their losses are terrible. They do have a road win at Ohio State, which has some value. They beat LSU, which is a good, a solid SEC team. You know, they beat West Virginia and that's looking like a better win now because West Virginia has played really well and went into Kansas in one. So I feel like in any other year, if you look at this team and you consider the conference they're in, you would think that this team would be in the tournament easily, like maybe even being like a four or five seed, Like, I don't think that's crazy, but now, you know, you look at different bracketology out there. I think the best I've seen Pitt is like a seven. So and again, the people putting the bracketology together, they're not you know, these aren't people that are actually going to have any say so. But you know, it's all we can reference at this point, so you know, it doesn't matter to me though, And what I mean by that is like, I don't care if the ACC not getting not being great this year. Clearly Louislle is going to be able to benefit benefit from it. And I'm I get the noise out there, like if Louisville ends up having a really good record in league play, which I think they will, to be honest with you, from what I've seen lately, I think they will have a really good record in league play. And with that, I kind of feel like, you know, we'll be thinking to ourselves, hey, why aren't we getting more love?
Speaker 4: Why isn't our seed better?
Speaker 5: And then we're going to have to realize, oh, yeah, it's because you know, maybe our losses are all respectable, but a great record in the ACC doesn't mean this year what it meant in previous years, and look, you can't control that. And because it's the first year, and I've just kind of been hoping that this team could at least just make the tournament, especially after the injuries happened, it seemed like maybe they wasn't likely, and now it looks like they're in great shape. So you know, I'm just going to enjoy the ride, and it's been it's been awesome so far. All right, quick break, we'll come back on the other side. What I want to get to before we get out of here again. We're out at four forty five today, so stick around and cherish this next hour. It's all you're getting until tomorrow. So just you know, don't don't, don't take it for granted.
Speaker 6: And then tomorrow that's all you're getting until you get a couple of inches on Sunday.
Speaker 4: That's right today, that's right later on that day.
Speaker 5: So Kentucky fans, I saw it last night on social media, and I know it came up on KSR earlier today. They were discussing sort of feeling sorry for Caliperry because it's you know it again. As I said earlier this week, This is not a who's winning the breakup. Kentucky won the breakup and they know that. Everybody knows it. And now I guess you just you know, I cannot understand how they would feel sad for him that he's going to fall on his face there and he's doing that as we speak. But then again, I thought, you know, if you've, if it's been your coach for so long, it'd be weird to just within that amount of time just all of a sudden hate the guy. But anyways, we'll discuss that and a lot more. We've got a college football playoff game tonight. We'll get in, we'll get into some action on that, So stick with us right here on Sports Talk seven ninety.
Speaker 1: Now back to coffee and Company, fueled by Thornton's on Sports Talk seven nine day.
Speaker 5: So it's tonight Notre Dame favored by one and a half. I have no clue what to expect in this matchup because Notre Dame, you know, what they did to Georgia really impressive and therefore I feel like Notre Dame is capable or more than capable of winning the night. But I don't have a clue if Penn State is the same James Franklin type of team that they've always been, or maybe they are like really good. There's really no way to know. They haven't lost to anybody that is. I mean, the only loss they had this year was to who Oregon?
Speaker 4: Was it? Oregon? Ohio? Who do they lose to?
Speaker 5: Because it was one of the teams that you know they were supposed to lose to, because that's that's what James Franklin does. They they and again there's something to be said about never losing a dud and never losing the teams that you are, you know, supposed to to beat.
Speaker 4: But when you do that.
Speaker 5: And you never beat the elite teams, it doesn't make you bad. In fact, it means you're good. But it's just seemingly impossible to know how good you truly are. So this Penn State team, they're only lost this year. I guess they had two losses. I'm sorry. They lost to Ohio State by seven and they lost to Oregon by eight in the championship game of the Big Ten. So you know they have of I mean, their resume says they're good, but like good enough to win the national champampionship.
Speaker 3: I mean.
Speaker 5: I have I have doubts they did win in overtime against usc which would have been would have been an outlier for their I mean, they would kept them out of the playoff. To be honest with you, so you know, I have no clue what to expect. I want to take Notre Dame money line, but I also want to do a same game parlay, just because you know that would give me a little more juice. Total is at forty five and a half, I lean under, but then again, that's not a whole lot of points. I mean, I lean under. Let me let me check my sports line here sports line account, because they'll give me a well is it gonna let me sign in? Yeah, they'll give me the projected score from their simulations, which isn't always accurate, but it's at least something to reference. So yeah, currently, let's see twenty five to twenty three. That would make it forty eight, so that would be the over, right, yeah, Oh, let mean double chick, what was the line? Forty five and a half, Yeah, it'd be the over. So and then again, seeing twenty five to twenty three, I feel like that's kind of a low scoring game, and yet that would would in fact be over forty four.
Speaker 4: So I hate, I hate totals.
Speaker 5: That are in that range because oh yeah, I mean, it's it's there's a reason that they said it that way, because they know it. That's the perfect spot for it. But you know, I think, let's see here, I'm looking at some of these. Yeah, under forty five and a half is getting more. Yeah, when it comes to the when it comes to the money currently on the total here the over under fifty three percent, I'm sorry, fifty seven percent of the money.
Speaker 4: Is on, Uh, it is on the over.
Speaker 5: However, sixty two percent of the actual bets, meaning the wagers take out the take up, take out the amount of money they're betting, but just the actual wagers picking this thing to go over, it's up to sixty two percent. So I don't know if I want to.
Speaker 4: Ride with everybody else, or at least the ride with the majority, or so.
Speaker 6: We're thinking of like a twenty twenty, a twenty one to twenty game. Basically you said it was forty You said it was forty one, right, or.
Speaker 3: Was forty five?
Speaker 4: It's a forty four and a half was what it is right now?
Speaker 3: Actually twenty one to twenty three.
Speaker 4: I'm sorry, I'm.
Speaker 5: Sorry, forty it's forty five and a half, and it is forty five and a half, and then the projected total was forty eight. So if the formula was right, then they would go over and look Georgia or not no, sorry, Notre Dame. Against Georgia they scored twenty three. But they also I think they got a pick six in that. I mean, they're not going to try to Neither team is really built on tempo or scoring a lot of points. They put up twenty seven against Indiana. Against USC they scored forty nine, but again USC not necessarily known for defense. This past year, Penn State, you know, they put up thirty one against Boise, they put up thirty eight against SMU, But I think they had twenty one points against SMU that came from defense, not exaggerating. I think that's exactly what it was. I think twenty one of their of their thirty eight were pick sick. They scored thirty seven against Oregon, forty four against Maryland. So you know, this this Penn State team, they score more than I than I give them credit for. But again I think some of those some of that stuff. But again, regardless, if you're getting points from your defense, that's still getting points. And you know, I would imagine just from what I've seen, they probably up there when it comes to being able to create points from off turnovers in college football this year.
Speaker 3: So Notre Dame.
Speaker 6: Also Notre Dame twenty three against Georgia, twenty seven against Indiana, thirty five against USC, forty nine against Army, and thirty five against Virginia.
Speaker 5: I just feel like with Notre Dame, it's it's I think the reason they were putting up you know, thirty five plus, it's because in three straight weeks they played USC Army in Virginia. I think once they got to Indiana a better defense, they didn't score quite as much. And then the way Signetti called that game, I mean, is it lame to go under?
Speaker 4: No, I don't mind watching.
Speaker 5: It's to me when it comes to entertainment with wagering, I mean, yeah, if it's a great game and it's exciting and it's a thriller, that's awesome. But like I'm still excited if a game's boring, if it means I'm I'm going to potentially win. A lot of people are like there's no way. That's no way to live betting the under, rooting for terrible play where nobody scores, and I get all that, but if it's the play and it's a win, I'll I'll take that better than an exciting game that you know, lost me money.
Speaker 6: So far, in their last five games, when both teams have been in sort of close ones, they've been up around the twenty to twenty five mark, like, of course, against Georgia Notre Dame twenty three points, and then against against Minnesota a few weeks about a few weeks ago, Penn State only one by one point, twenty six to twenty five, and when they lost to Oregon thirty seven to forty five. So I mean, they're capable of putting up points. I feel like they're tricking us.
Speaker 3: Nick. I kind of like the over in this, but I shouldn't have polluted the air.
Speaker 4: No, you're good.
Speaker 5: So the expert here at sports Line, there's three of the experts that have decided to take the under, and here's their reasoning. This is from Eric Casselis. He says that Notre Dame has been lucky to score as much as they have. Penn State will run into an Irish D. I worry about OT, but otherwise my marvels what an Irish d. He worries about OT, but otherwise his model says that the under is the play. This is from Eric Cohen, who says, unless the fighting Irish turned the ball over deep in their own territory, I'm not sure I see the Nidney Lions sustaining more than two long drives if that. Notre Dame has the fifth best pass defense in the country and should keep Drewilar's success to a minimum. Not only do I like Marcus Freeman's team to win, I expect this one is going to be ugly. Take the under Notre Dame nineteen Penn State fourteen.
Speaker 6: Ooh, that's that's a convincing write up.
Speaker 5: I tend to agree. Says here. Also, there's one more that did that picked the under. At least I thought that I want to to.
Speaker 4: Here we go. Yeah this one. Yeah.
Speaker 5: This is from Emery Hunt. He says, with both teams being eerily similar along both sides of the line of scrimmage, it makes the chess match between the two teams even more important. These teams will play a strong point of attack game, and we may be looking at two touchdowns and a series of field goals. Yeah, I'm I've been convinced to take the under. Yah, that's what I'm gonna do. I'm gonna go Notre Dame money line and take the under. And that's I need a win. After last night. I was telling Austin during the break about my bad beat and it really, I mean bad beats I think are are viewed differently. This this this was just getting it wrong, like it's it's so close and it's just coming up short, which sucks. But I think bad beats are like fluky things happening that you would never expect. That that that you know ultimately bend you over and rail you, which we've all been there, and it's it's not fun. Yeah, not not fun at all. So last night, I've really enjoyed the thrill of watching lines change live during games. I used to just never even want to look at I would be I don't for no reason in particular, I was just like, yeah, I don't want to do live bets. It was just a different experience for me. It was too straight. Well now I look at them changing and I can see a team, you know, gets like last night, I had a chance to really put away a three leg parlay and I came up so short. It just it still burns me alive thinking about it. So last night Ole Miss and Arkansas were playing, and Arkansas got off to a decent start in Faydeville.
Speaker 4: They were at home.
Speaker 5: They were up like eight, between six and eight for like the first seven eight minutes of the game. Well then Old Miss storm back and they end up winning that thing by double digits, and that's kind of what I expected to happen.
Speaker 4: So I got Old Miss.
Speaker 5: I mean they were it was like Old Miss plus five and a half, and I took Old Miss. Money line came through. Same thing with Florida State in Miami. Florida State was trailing Miami a little bit early, but Florida State's better than Miami. Miami's been getting killed all year. Like I knew eventually Florida State would take over, and they did. They won by double digits. So same thing. They're like five six and a half point underdogs, and I take the money line. So those were you know, those have a lot of value. There are a lot of juice. And then USC and Indiana. I'm watching this game. It was a slower start than they initially expect did so the total was set at one fifty one and a half with like ten minutes left in the first half. I said, okay, I think this is going to go over. The Hoosiers are scoring and that that's the pace right now. Let's let's hit the over and sure enough, you know the hook will get you. The game ended up with a total of one to fifty one, and I bet one fifty one and a half and that got me, so you know, it's part of the game. But needless to say, I'm in need for a win tonight, so let's hope.
Speaker 4: That one comes through.
Speaker 5: I love it, believe it, in the power of positivity, speaking it into existence. Good stuff there, all right, quick break, we'll come back and we'll get you forty five minutes and get out of here. It's coffee and company fuel bout Thorton's Unports Talk seven ninety