Speaker 1: All right, what's going on? It is drivetime. It's a Monday afternoon, it's about five minutes past the hour of two o'clock and it is cold. It is northeast cold. It has hit you in your teeth cold today on this Monday afternoon. But as it is every single day, it's gonna have you long for the ride. Spence check. It's beyond the mic Port Larson in our downtown Broadway Media Studios producing the program today. We are out and about. Would love to meet you and say hello. You can enter to win some Utah men's basketball tickets the Red Hot utah Ut Spinners at three straight. Of course, we're gonna talk about the win over by you today. You can get a free ESPN seven hundred ten. You can meet Cynthia and say hello. We are making dreams come true on a Monday afternoon. So here's where we're at. We are at the warehouse. It is eighteen twenty five South, three hundred west. Great deals on sofas, mattresses, pillows. We're gonna get to know our friends out here a little bit more. Gonna bring in my guy Vidal. He's gonna tell us what you guys can expect you come on down, but in the meantime pretty centrally located right off the freeway. So the best thing to do is put this address in your GPS and just follow it. It is eighteen to twenty five South three hundred west here in downtown Salt Lake City, Utah. So put it in the GPS, look for our ESPN seven hundred fan out front. Then come on in and say what's up, inter to win some ute tickets, grab a free ESPN seven hundred ten, and we're gonna have a good time today. Excited to be down here and out and about on this Monday afternoon. Happy Monday to you. Hope you had a great weekend. It was a jam pack sports weekend and I'll say it continues tonight with the college Football Playoff National Championship game. You can hear that game on our station and we're gonna get you ready for that game with a number of different great college football guest porter doing a great job today booking the program. We got a great guest list to cover college football, to cover the weekend that was in the NFL as we have conference championships lined up for the first time in thirty three years, the Washington football team Commanders, previously the Redskins, whatever it is, they are in the conference championship after upsetting the Detroit Lions. That's kind of been the main topic on sports media today. The Chiefs took care of the Texans and very Chiefs fashion, two really good games. Yesterday saw the Eagles take care of the Rams at home, and once again Lamar Jackson taking a lot of heat today undeservedly so in my opinion by the Buffalo Bills Mar Job. The University of Utah men's basketball team picks up a massive win over BYU. I was in the building. It felt like it did back when I was in school there in the late nineties from my advantage point for the first time in a while. So some good buzz around this basketball team now. And as Craig Smith said after the game, fans impact winning. Your next opportunity will be coming up on the twenty fifth of this month against Baylor, two home games after the road trip against one of the best college basketball teams in the country, Houston. And when you watch Houston play, they have grown men paint playing for Kelvin Sampson. They're the number seven team in the country. Baylor was upset by tc over the weekend, so youtes will be at Houston and then home against Baylor and Cincinnati before traveling Oklahoma State. So some good buzz around the youths. There are three and three in conference play. They're eleven and six overall. They're tied with Baylor and TCU, as well as UCF and conference just behind West Virginia, Kansas and Texas Tech. BYU, on the other hand, we're gonna talk about it today. They fall to two and four in conference play and they have not won a quad one game. They're owned five and quad one games. They're ozero and five excuse me, oh and four in games decided by five points or less. They have not won a game on the road. So, as we've talked about, if you're Kevin Young, you've got you've got the talent on paper, you've got two first round NBA prospects on your roster, You've you're paying these kids a lot of money. Now, he got a prov can coach, and I thought he was out coached by Craig Smith, who, in my opinion, does not have the same type of talent on paper as Kevin does. The BYU, so we'll get into that on the show today, and obviously the College Football National Championship tonight, presented by AT and T, it's Ohio State and Notre Dame. The line has moved over the past thirty minutes. Ohio State is now a nine point favorite over the five nine ersh tonight. We will bring you that game right when we say good night, a little early about five thirty mountain time, and we're gonna preview that game on the show. Today, the Utah Jazz played the New Orleans Pelicans. I'm not sure how dal in you are to Jazz basketball right now, but the Jazz are ten and thirty, which at last check is last in the Western Conference, the third worst record in the NBA. And we know what time it is, so I'm sure we'll get the injury report. Half the team's gonna be sitting. The Pelicans have eleven wins on the season, the Jazz have ten. So two bad teams. Go on, But happy Martin Luther King Junior Day to U. The NBA celebrates this day and has for a number of years by playing a lot of games that started very early, namely eleven o'clock mountain time. So we'll do some on the program today. There is a ton to do. The Utah Hockey Club picks up a win over the Saint Louis Blues. RSL is on the pitch for a pre season to prepare for Cockey Cap and we are jam packed with a really really good guest list on this Monday afternoon. Good to have you with us. Our first guest right out of the gates. So one of my favorites to top college football with. His name is Spencer Hall, and we'll get a preview of tonight's game. We'll get a thought on the youths, thought on the Cougars Big twelve football with Spencer. We'll do some NBA with Tom Haberstrow today. Here's my NBA question out of the gates today, what sort of impact like lowry marketing is awesome when he plays a lot? What sort of impact does that on star players when the organization has not allow them to play in actual games. We'll do some big picture NBA with Tom. Josh Furlong stops by from KSL. He covers the University of Utah. He was in the building for Utah's win over BYU. So we'll get Josh on the show today, Scott Mitchell stops by, former Utah quarterback. We'll do some utes. It's a big twelve and we'll preview tonight's National championship game. And as a former quarterback of the Detroit Lions, how's that fan base digesting a really really difficult loss when they were a heavy favorite over Washington. And then Rick new Heisel joins the program. Rick is now with CBS as a college football analyst. He was a high level quarterback in his college and a little bit of pro pro day as well, but well known as a head coach for Colorado. You dub coached in the NFL for Baltimore as well, one of Rose Bull as a coach. I am seed an event last week in Park City where Rick was on our panel and it was a lot of fun for our friends at Donalis Capital. So we'll bring in Rick new Heiseel today as well, so Spencer Hall, Tom Haberstrow, Josh for along, Scott Mitchell, Rick new Heisel Mint what a show today As we are live at the Warehouse, it is eighteen twenty five South three hundred West. Come on by and say hello and I would love to meet you. You can enter to win Utah men's basketball tickets as they get set to welcome in the Baylor Bear. Should be a really good game coming up this week that is going to be coming up on Saturday. That will be Saturday at two thirty. So if you're looking for something to do coming up on Saturday, come on by and enter to win some tickets as Utah welcomes in the Baylor Bears again. Eighteen twenty five South, three hundred West on this Monday afternoon. So Spencer Hall, Tom Haberstrow, Josh for Along, Scott Mitchell, Rick, Neuheisel Me, Spence checkets all of you the great listeners, and back in the studio producing the show today. As a young man named Porter Larson, Porter, I know you're young, but I've got to say Saturday Night, Huntsman Center, Utah BYU Basketball. If I blinked, I would have felt like, you know, young Spence Check. Its bleached blonde hair, pukashell necklace, possibly two collars popped. Was in the student section watching Andre Miller and Britton Johnson play high level basketball.
Speaker 2: Man.
Speaker 1: That was a lot of fun.
Speaker 3: Ye, the environment was really good.
Speaker 4: Obviously, the rivalry game often brings up in the ante when it comes to the environment, the atmosphere in the John M. Huntsman Center, But that's a venue that the history there, just the way that building is constructed. If you get the people in the building, it's gonna be fun and it's going to be loud, and it's going to you know, have an effect on the basketball game.
Speaker 3: And it did.
Speaker 2: So.
Speaker 3: I don't know that the basketball.
Speaker 4: Necessarily lived up to some of the stuff that we saw in the in the stands, but hey, Utah got the W.
Speaker 3: You talk, got the W. That's what matters. And we go from there.
Speaker 1: Grumpy producer porter on a Monday, are you trying to rain.
Speaker 2: On our.
Speaker 3: I'm just pointing it out.
Speaker 5: Man.
Speaker 4: It was not exactly pretty basketball, but hey, an ugly W is a is a W nonetheless, especially in a rivalry game.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and make a freaking free throw. I'm talking to both teams. All right, we're gonna get into it. I've got a great guest list today. Our first guest will be Spencer Hall. It's talks and college football. But before we get to Spencer Live today at the Warehouse is where we're I come on, buy and say hi. At eighteen twenty five South three hundred West here in downtown Salt Lake City, Utah. It is time now for your opening tip.
Speaker 6: Welcome to the Drive with Spence Check. It's on Utah's number one sports talk Now into the studio of ESPN seven hundred to set the scene for the show. The opening tip of the Drive is brought to you by Standard Restaurant Supply, your one stop shop to build the best tailgate in town. Standard Restaurant Supply thirty five hundred south West, Temple.
Speaker 1: So Saturday night at the Huntsman Center, University of Utah, welcomed in Euyu for a rivalry, a holy war on the hardwood, and I got to give a shout out to our guy, Ken Palmeroy Ken Palm, who's going to join the show, who's kind of a north star for all of us who cover college basketball. He said, the utes sorry one point favorite as far as his model goes. And you know, when you dig into the data a little bit further, you also said, this is basically a tass up. Seventy three seventy two is your fine. So Ken Palm was spot on. I was surprised and talked about this last week that Vegas installed Utah as the favorite over Byu. I mean, if you follow this stuff, if you cover it, if you analyze it, nobody is going to make a case that Utah has better personnel than Byu. Byu has jegor Demon who had last check on Jonathan Cavoni's mock draft is the number seven NBA prospect in the country. Kennon Catching's who I don't see it yet, man, Like we're going to get into it. Canon's coming off the bench, played thirteen minutes, came in and just jacked up a bunch of threes, went one to five from three in thirteen minutes. I mean, he's young, and you can see why the pro scouts like him. He's long. But we're going to talk about where these programs find themselves. But simply put, Utah doesn't have the talent on paper that Byu does. Now the interesting subplot here, of course, Kai Bakada, who played last year at the University of Utah, transfers to Brigham Young, makes himself a nice amount of NIO money comes back up and you know, two of seven four points nine boards, couple of assists, three blocks. The numbers don't really tell you the effect that Kaiba has on the game. He's really good, and I thought Utah did a good job of bringing the physicality the way of BUYU. So a couple of things here. First of all, Ezra Saur really has burst on the scene, and Craig talked about this after the game, that Ezra has been dealing with some personal things. He left the team for a death in the family. Craig actually got emotional in talking about Ezra, and he has kind of been the impetus to what Utah has been able to do, winning three straight Big Twelve Basketball games over Oklahoma State at home, TCU on the road, TCU beat Baylor this weekend, and then of course a massive win against BYU. Now, this was a Quad two win for Utah, but it was a Quad one opportunity for Brigham Young. They fall to zero to five now in Quad one games. So obviously, you know BYU is dealing with a lot of very new dynamics and new roster, a new head coach, which is just the reality of college sports right now. You're gonna have a ton of changeover comes to your roster year and in year out. But I really thought this was a confidence booster for a team that not a lot of people believe is going to do very much this year, so we probably should just stop doing media polls. Utah was picked last in the Big twelve in the media poll, and look, I can't say I don't understand why. A lot of question marks about the roster, a lot of question marks about whether or not you know, they have the talent to stack up with other Big twelve teams that literally have two or three NBA guys each. At least that's what it feels like when you watch Houston play. Coming up, Utah is going to be on the road taking on Houston. Houston has grown men like big dudes that are physical, and this is going to be a barn burner. It's going to be a fight. But before we get on to what's next, let's talk about what happened. First of all, I want to give a shout out to Utah fans. Utah fans packed that building on Saturday night in a way that truly I have not seen potentially since I was a student there in the late nineties. And there was BYU Blue, not as much as I thought there was going to be. And as we talked about last week, all of these rumors of BYU fans snatching up the second market tickets in the upper Bold and trying to come down low because you'd fans don't show up oftentimes you have to call it how it is. But that building was packed, and you know, I can only approach it from my own experience where I was sitting several Utah and BYU fans sitting close together, and all I saw was civil behavior from everybody. Does that mean that happened all over the arena? Probably not, But ultimately I think that was a good side plot. And Kevin Young actually talked about it after the game. He said his kids felt like they were walking into a UFC fight because they didn't know to expect. But as far as the game flow goes, so we saw. For I believe this is the second straight game the same starting five and also interesting subplot. It wasn't just Kavi Kaida. Jake Walleen was originally a BYU commit. I want to give a Hunter Ericson a ton of credit. Yes, he air bald won free throw. Hunter Erickson BYU player originally came back up. And also Caleb Lohner who transfer from BYU to Baylor and then came to Utah to play football. Calebs put on a tremendous amount. He looks like a football player playing basketball. When he was a freshman back here at the University of Utah, he did not look He looked like a basketball player, didn't look like a football player. That's a big boy man. He brings some physicality. Played nine minutes for Craig. So you have Hunter Erickson, you have Caleb Lander, you have Jake Walleen with Byutahs, you have k Bakata who played for Utah last year. And yes, you know, ultimately the conversation and my wish for all of you is you find something to be as passionate about as BYU fans are passionate about claiming the refs cost them games. Okay, So the free throw disparity is something that has to come into play, Okay. Utah shot thirty two free throws. BYU shot ten. BYU made four of ten free throws, okay, and then Utah seventeen of thirty two. It's like nobody wanted to win the game. Now, a couple of things here, Utah was the more physical team making the ball to the basket. When you're more physical, either attacking the rack or trying to go down low. And because BYU did such a good job on Gabe, I want to give BYU a lot of credit for the way they guarded Gabe Mattson. Everybody's talking about Gabe was two of twelve from the floor, one of eleven from three. He had no space. They were blitzing him off every single screen. They went with Mowatt mag on him. Originally actually thought Richie Saunders would chase him around. Richie spent some minutes on him, but every time Gabe came off the screen b I was close enough to the floor you could hear BYU players scream shooter, blitz him, bring two and Gabe had no space. Now, ultimately because of how BYU was playing Gabe Mattson, because as Utah goes, Gabe is going to go this year for the most part, I think Saturday is going to be an exception. But because BYU was gapping him, blitzing him, sending two, Craig elected to go download to lost and lovering a lot more than I've seen him. And obviously, you know we've probably gone too far without giving Ezra a so or even more credit. So it was losson and Ezra in the post and they were able to punish Byu and it didn't matter who was guarding Ezra. In fact, the only player who had a little bit of success was Kapa. Kata actually played him pretty well, but they went with Fus Treiori, who had a really, really nice game. He's such a skilled big with great footwork and really good feet, but he he couldn't do anything with Ezra, and Ezra was giving up inches. I don't know how tall he is. I mean as far as what he's listed at. I think Ezra's listed at six 't eight. There's no way he's like six ' five maybe, And he was giving up a lot of inches to BYU's bigs, but they couldn't do anything with his skill set, his ball fakes, and his overall ability to finish around the rim. He That game reminded me a lot of an old jazz player named Adrian Daley who was probably six ' five, couldn't jump over a piece of paper, but somehow had the ability with shot fakes, head fakes, and footwork to put up twenty eight thirty points every night. And Ezra has really kind of been the main impetus over the past few games for Utah's resurgence. He went for twenty one against Okay State. He was a little quiet against TCU. He only had eight points, had six boards. But you know, the twenty one points against Okay State was the season high. The twenty six against BYU is now a season high. And by the way, he had twenty four of his twenty six in the second half, like they couldn't do anything with him. But back to the fouls for a second, You do realize BYU was an intentionally fouling lost and lovering like over and over. So Utah more aggressive, BYU playing the hack of loss, and I guess what is what we'll call it. Were there some questionable calls? For sure. I was close to the court so I could see. There was also a horrible call that nearly gave BYU the win on Jake Walleen. That was just atrocious. This what to Porter's point, I mean, they didn't shoot well. Neither team. BYU goes thirty eight percent from the floor, Utah goes forty four. Both teams shot twenty six percent from the three point line, and then Utah fifty three percent from the free throw line and BYU forty percent from the free throw line. BYU out rebounds everybody but not Utah. Utah reb down to them forty seven, which I thought was a massive key, and Utah really rebounded as a team. While Lean had nine, Ezra had six, Lawson had seven, and then Mike and gave both that four, Keanu Doz came off the bench and Live in a minutes had three, Like everybody came in and got boards for Craig. And they played physical, they played hard, and they stayed in it to the end. And yes they needed a little bit of luck. And I'm not gonna spend a lot of time on this, but I don't know. I don't know why Kevin Jung plays Trevin Nell. I have no idea in big moments, Like the only thing he does is shoot it well as far as a spot up shooter, he can. He moves pretty well without the basketball and if he's open, he's a dead eye. But he does not guard, he can't dribble, he can't make plays, and he missed Like he goes to the free throw line. I'm thinking it's done because the one thing, like if Trevin Nell doesn't make free throws, you have to pull a scholarship, like, that's why he's on your roster. But of course you feel bad for the young kid because I'm sure he's taking a lot of heat because he could have won it with a couple of free throws. I don't understand why Kevin doesn't just let Dallen be the primary playmaker the entire time. He has big twelve experience, and I just don't see right now Yegor Demin evolving into this top ten prospect. You know, you can see why pros like him because he's long and he can see over defenses. But as of now, a top ten NBA prospect is not something I'm seeing. So we'll get back to this game coming up in a bit. Josh Furlong was live at the game, and so we'll get his take on it. It Coming up next, we're gonna bring in Spencer Hall to do some college football. But we're live today at the Warehouse eighteen twenty five South, three hundred West and the manager here right, our guy, the dal you're the manager, yes.
Speaker 7: Sir, I am.
Speaker 1: So you're like the big boss.
Speaker 8: Well, let's let's call it that for a now week. Okay, okay, so so far, so good. Let's let's call it that a.
Speaker 1: Very important and very important guy. Well, thanks for stopping by, thanks for having us.
Speaker 7: First of all, of course, thank you, thank you guys for being here so well. Appreciate you guys very much for sure.
Speaker 1: So what do you want our listeners to know about what you have going on to the warehouse today?
Speaker 8: Yes, of course, So we are the warehouse in Salic City.
Speaker 7: This is the only one that we advertise for.
Speaker 8: This is actually one of the originals warehouses here in the on the Salac Valley again. Or address is gonna be eighteen twenty five South, three hundred west. Our telephone number is gonna be ezer one for six seven two two.
Speaker 7: We have a little bit of everything. Let me tell you.
Speaker 8: We can actually go ahead and have from from regular twin size mattresses all the way to splitking side mattresses with adjustable basis.
Speaker 7: Quick fact, we are the lowest.
Speaker 8: Price scenes that you will ever see on adjustable basis and mattresses. There is nobody in town that would actually try to even match or prices.
Speaker 7: So just for a quick.
Speaker 8: Sneak peek, let's go ahead and call this uh, we are advertising today and for the rest of the week, we have twin size mattresses that usually retail for twelve hundred bucks. A twin size man usually retails for twelve hundred bucks.
Speaker 7: We have it right here at the warehouse.
Speaker 9: For one ninety nine thousand dollars thousand dollars saving eight inch memory foam jeling, fuel yelling fuel mattresses twelve hundred bucks.
Speaker 8: If you try to buy this online, we have it here in the store ready for you to take for twelve hundred bucks.
Speaker 7: Now that's that's not the only thing.
Speaker 8: From today all the way till Friday, if you buy a mattress from us, we will go ahead and give you for free. We'll give you a free pillow. This pillow you should retails for one hundred and twenty dollars, so you're basically getting a deal worth thirteen hundred bucks.
Speaker 1: Fore so wait, somebody can come in and use the discount on the mattress and buy the mattress for one hundred and ninety nine dollars, and you're still giving them the free pillow.
Speaker 8: Yes, sorry, as long as I say I heard this on the radio, all right, go ahead and give them that free pillow.
Speaker 7: Free gift.
Speaker 1: As simple as that can I get a free pillow.
Speaker 7: For US wars man? You will get one pillo not a problem.
Speaker 1: I actually I bought because my son needed a new mattress. I bought a twin mattress a couple of a couple of months ago, and it was not close to the price that I wish I would have waited.
Speaker 8: And even the quality, the quality is not going to be something that we that we manufactured.
Speaker 7: This is going to be top tier qualities.
Speaker 8: So, I mean, we have a lot of people coming from Park CD, coming from different counties used to come and buy from us, and we do delivery and set up as well. It's gonna be a little bit of an extra fee, but we can definitely work something off.
Speaker 1: Very nice. We're videll we're gonna talk again, but really nice to pitch you. Okay, so come on by the warehouse. I didn't realize they were doing that deal. In case you missed it, let me reset it. A mattress the typical costure close to thirteen hundred bucks is going for one ninety nine, and then a pillow, which is valued at about one hundred and seventy dollars. They're given away for free, so you can get a new mattress and a free pillow for like two hundred bucks. As Vidal mentioned, they've got a little bit of a delivery fee, but come on in and check it out and then he'll he'll kind of catch you up. So we're at the warehouse today once again. Come on by and say. The location is eighteen twenty five South three hundred west. ESPN seven hundred. Van is right out front, so come on buy and say HI, can't step on that music bed. We just can't gotta let it go. It'd be a horrible, horrible move by me, extreme mouthfeasance if I stepped on that. We're live today at the warehouse. Come on by. It's eighteen twenty five South three hundred west. In case you missed the ESPN seven hundred special, they're offering a twin mattress that is typically thirteen hundred dollars for only one ninety nine, and you also get a pillow that is valued at one hundred and fifty bucks for free. Yep, that's right. It sounds too good to be true, but it's not. Come on by the warehouse eighteen twenty five South three hundred West here in downtown Salt Lake City, Utah. Our next guest enjoys himself a comfortable pillow. I would imagine do a little college football now with why Buddy, Spencer Hall, Spencer Happy Monday man? How you doing?
Speaker 10: I am ready to do this because it's Monday. We should have played this on Saturday. I know the NFL got bit, but always feels weird ending a college football season on a Monday.
Speaker 1: The most important question though, firm pillow guy, Soft pillow guy. How does Spencer Hull like to get asleep?
Speaker 10: Firm firm? I got a big hit, so I need a pillow. The fights back, the fights.
Speaker 1: Back, that's so good. I'm the same way. I'm the same way, all right. So let me follow up with what you just said, because it does seem like and you kind of alluded to it. You hear a lot of people that cover college football say, well, you should never go head to head with the NFL, and a lot of people now complaining that the game is played on Monday night. Are you of the opinion that college football should just play it Saturday night and go head to head with the NFL.
Speaker 10: I think it could, and I don't think it's a great idea, but I don't.
Speaker 2: Know if doing it the day night as.
Speaker 10: A television product on its own is that much better. I really don't. It's just it feels odd to me. And this is me fully admitting I don't think there is a really good solution. Just the calendars jammed at this point. Large football games matter a lot, but we have a lot of time and a lot of breathing room in between when we decide in this game and when we play it, and we might want to manage that a little bit better. It feels very It feels strung out too, and it feels a little thin to be ending this on January twentieth.
Speaker 1: I certainly agree with you there. Let's stay in the space of what I'm calling diagnosing, not prognosticating, because it's impossible to predict any of this stuff with a new format and college football being what it is, an unpredictable beast. But now that we have this twelve team expanded CFP more or less behind us, do you like the new format? Does it need adjusting? What's your take?
Speaker 10: I think it needs some adjustence because I do think we need proper seeding. We didn't really have that because we're still honoring conference championships, and this is a bit of a zero sum game because I don't think there's any way to properly see teams without necessarily discrediting or devalueing conference championships. And I think that's a conflict that they're going to have to resolve because if we automatically give bys to conference champions and just necessarily because of the way that the conference competition is set up, especially now it's not your conferences, you're going to get some weird results. You're going to get Boiser State and Arizona State deservedly under the current format and getting by and ending up in the second round, and really all Arizona State could live up to that, and I think that was probably the high side of an overall trend where if we continue to do that, I don't think you're going to end up with as strong an initial badge and competitionists as you might like.
Speaker 1: As I've told you before, I always push back on the whole like cheer for the conference that your team is in thing because it's such a fleeting landing spot and could change. But I will ask you, did Arizona State, with their performance against Texas, did that say anything about the quality of the Big Twelve overall or was that just a commentary on Kenny Dillingham and Arizona State in a vacuum.
Speaker 10: I think it has to necessarily speak well of the Big Twelve. I think Iowa State helped a lot with that by beating Miami too. That in those two games, the Big Twelve went up against prime competition or at least very good competition in Miami's case, and beat them straight up. And I think it speaks twelve that of both in individually, of Arizona State, there was no team that managed a bigger turnaround in terms of where they were last year three and nine in the conference and came out on top and very nearly beat Texas and took them into overtime in the College Football playoffs. So I think I answer to that question is yes and yes, I'll say yes to both of them.
Speaker 1: All right, fair enough. I don't mean to ruin your Monday, but I'm gonna ask you this question because last week, I think it was last Monday, I sat down to start my prep and I'm like, you know what I'm gonna do today. I'm gonna do a segment on Big Twelve football next year. That just started like digging into it, and I have I have zero frame of reference, zero idea at what the big you know, how the Big twelve will play out, or what it's going to look like. What's the Spencer hall Way too early January feel on the Big twelve next year?
Speaker 10: Wow, that is quite the assignment on the spur in the moment. But I'm gonna roll with it. The most bankable asset in the Big twelves portfolio going into the season.
Speaker 2: One.
Speaker 10: We cannot write off the champion and the four of Arizona State not possible. Now, I know cam Scataboo can't be replaced, but that's a program with a lot going for it, a good young quarterback and Sam Levitt and a roster that's only gonna, I think, get deeper, smarter, stronger, and faster. So the variety of ball they played and how they manage what they had and their execution, it was unparalleled in conference. Just below them, I'd have to go Iowa eight just because you've got so much culture there, consistency. They won't be as good. And I'm just saying that, by the way, betting on regression to the mean, because this is the first It was not just the first ten win season, and I always say it history, it was the first eleven win season. So in over one hundred years of playing the game, they're going to come back a little bit, but they're still going to be good, just because of the institutional consistency there. And then while I'm thinking boring picks, Kansas State just seems to be the team that, you know, if I had to bank on somebody having eight or nine quality wins of the year, they're right there.
Speaker 1: So BYU fans out this way feel like they and you know, I'm not even sure that they're entirely wrong. And you know, the be think about college football. If it's a four team CFP, we're going to debate who five through ten would be. If it's a twelve team, we're going to debate who thirteen through sixteen would be or whatever. And a lot of people think BYU had a case to maybe be included in this expanded twelve team CFP. And the crazy thing Spencer is at the end, like the final two or three iterations and rankings BYU wasn't really even talked about. Now they lost two of their final three and certainly timing is paramount, and that Kansas loss at home where they only put up thirteen points will sting because they went toe to toe with ASU at their place and lost before kind of closing out against Houston, and then they route Colorado and the Alamo Bowl, which led to Reggie Bush saying, b YU got a deal. Now that we're sitting here and again diagnosing instead of prognosticating, do you think BYU fans have a legitimate beef?
Speaker 10: I think they do, especially with me, because I just left them out of that entire potential Big twelve preview. The sorry for that, you fan, that's a sincere apology. You're like, oh, surely he'll just go ahead and be like, you know, but no, there's no Bud here. Sorry about that. Y'all are awesome, No, just all polities for me.
Speaker 2: I would I would say this.
Speaker 10: I think that that they just due to the way that the playoffs was set up, they were a victim of recency bias. You know, losing games late isn't supposed to hurt when we're just considering the overall slate. It hurts.
Speaker 11: It hurts.
Speaker 10: It's because it's people picking the games, and they tend to remember what they just saw, which again is I and I Reggie Bush. All respect to Reggie, you know, it's more about football than all of you know. He's forgotten more about football than I'll ever know. But when Reggie says that, you know, oh man, they got a raw deal.
Speaker 11: Well, it's because you just watched them woolf up on Colorado.
Speaker 10: That's that's why you're an eye on it, you know.
Speaker 2: And that's fine.
Speaker 10: But at the same time, we do tend to just say what we just saw and not look at the body of work as a whole, which again phenomenal, and like I said in our earlier Big twelve preview BYU, is right up there in terms of the top three or four teams in the conference that has to be considered a contender.
Speaker 1: Well played, sir, and since you are on the home of the University of Utah, I'll take the opportunity to ask you about the utes. Now forty one new players. It's a fifty three percent roster turnover, and that's not anything Kyle's ever done. It's the reality of the sport now, and so I have no feel for it. I don't know much about any of these players. We interviewed Jason Beck last week, their new offensive coordinator. He's an impressive guy and a lot of schools wanted him and he lands at Utah. What's your Way too Early? The Spencer Hall January take on Utah football year two in the Big Twelve.
Speaker 10: I'm really intrigued to see how they managed roster k like that. I really do like that's it is not just a relatively new thing for everybody. It is so new to a very pecific way of doing things, doing things in Salt Lake that I'm really really intrigued by what they might be able to do or not be able to do with player development, because that's been one thing You've ta has been so good at, is player development and bringing them up and taking these guys and really teaching them how to be college football players over a span of years, not just one or two years. So I am intrigued by that. I am also intrigued by the kind of system that back is going to bring because you know, not that Utah has ever been backwards looking when it comes to offense, but I think things are shifting now towards leveling the playing field by running the ball more and having a more involved run game. So I'm really intrigued to see what they do with that because I think that plays.
Speaker 2: The roster thing.
Speaker 10: I don't know whether that's good or that. I have no indication as to whether this coaching staff and that culture is going to handle it well. I do know one thing that would be really cool if they stuck with that run game, because I think that plays really well into what Willingham has done with his best Utah teams.
Speaker 1: I am wildly impressed because I am the professor. You shut up to class today ready to take a different test, and I surprised you with a couple of questions and you handled it very well. So let's move on, Spencer, to the material that you have been studying, and that is the college football National Championship game that is tonight. We'll have it on our radio station. Let's go team by team, and then we'll get to the game. What stands out most to you about the fighting Irish in their run and Marcus Freeman at the age of thirty nine, feels like this wonderkins rising star in college football.
Speaker 2: He is.
Speaker 10: There's a number of things that I think could be fascinating about this game, and I think it is one that Notre Dame could lose by twenty and we still wouldn't think any less of Marcus Freeman just because of the monster talent machines that are Ohio State has managed to acquire at the price of around twenty million dollars by most reports, something that my colleague Roger Sherman and his newsletter said was a deal. And I fully agree, twenty million dollars for that payroll in terms of recruiting athletes, paying them and getting to the campus is nothing. I think that is the model you're going to see, and it's the model that everybody, including Notre Dame on the other side, is going to have to establish as their benchmark. Another thing that's interesting to me is we've got a national title camp, but with two quarterbacks and who were both transferst So in case you wonder whether we're here, we're one hundred percent here. You have a coach who was at Notre Dame I believe a season before he became head coach and has gotten there relatively quickly. You have a guy, Ryan Day, who could very well win this game and then I don't know, take another job that's like he might, you know, like vi All indications it's been an extremely stressful year for him, a season that's something easy for his family. If there were an opportunity somewhere else in the NFL, you might be listening to that, even if they want a title. This is the era of the mercenary. And I think it's interesting when we say that, Hey, a new luminarian Marcus Freeman. You go, yeah, that's cool. No, we no longer assume, hey, Notre Dame's got their guy for the next decade. Hardly we say okay, well where's.
Speaker 1: He going next? Yeah, and you know it started out really rough that home loss to Marshall, and of course this year, you know, questions early on. But let's go to the other side. And you know you reference Ryan Day. Let me get excuse me, let me get your thoughts on this. I mean, yes, you got to be in Michigan. If you're the head coach of Ohio State and that hasn't happened four straight you hear some people. Look, I don't know. I mean, you'll you'll be good with this because I don't really know who to trust here. But is he legitimately in danger of losing that job if they don't win tonight.
Speaker 10: No, not if they don't win tonight. But what you I say you have seen is that that Ryan Day and that fan base, when they don't get along in the best of times, it's bad and then at the worst of times, it could be atrocious. So this to me is an indication that I don't think no coach is necessary to Ohio State. It's quite the other way around. Ohio States has success with a number of different coaches. The team, the university, the institution, and the football program. They make good coaches great, make great coaches into legends, and I think that's the way they think of it accurately. And I also think that's the part that that we're all aware of when we talk about Ryan Day. Now that said, Ryan Day's teams right now, on paper, you know, they're putting up better numbers than Urban Meyers best teams, and they've managed this. This is an interesting an interesting note about what you're looking at with Ohio State. At times it feels like Ohio State has played down to their competition or played unusual slow brand of football this year, especially given the talent they have. What you need to know is that they've managed the number of snaps to prepare for a long season, which is an exceptional job, you know, when you think about it, like football is a brutal, sometimes dangerous sport, and the fewer snaps that you can play if you know you're going thirteen, fourteen to fifteen games.
Speaker 2: Deep, the better.
Speaker 10: And they've done that. I think their defensive coordinator said they'd say over one hundred snaps over the course of a season, which could be you know, two games worth of snaps when you add it all together. That to me says somebody who could advertise his ability as somebody who can manage a program beyond the college ranks. And you know, you say, okay, well, could he lose his job, He could leave that job. I think that's far more plausible to him losing that job, especially given what we've seen out of both Notre Dame and Ohio State. It would be to me surprising if Notre Dame won this game, but it would not be shocking shocking loss my costumes job, especially near where he lost to Michigan. But overall, the performance given what they put into this program and what they've gotten out, especially in obliterating Oregon in Tennessee and two of their three wins on the way to the title game. I think it speaks for itself.
Speaker 1: Let me follow up, as you reference he might just leave, and is that due to the day to day what feels like heavy weight pressure with the Ohio State job. Would he take another college job? Would he look to the look to go to the NFL. I mean, these are all hypotheticals, but what sort of job would cos Ryan Day to jump?
Speaker 10: I think I think it would be a pro job. I don't think there's any college job necessarily, like you've already you've already hit the pinnacle of what you can do in college if you're at Ohio State. So I don't see that. If there were a pro job to open up, I think that's what you would be looking at, you know. And the Bears just took one of those real logical one off the board in hiring Ben Johnson OC for the Lion.
Speaker 1: Yes they did. All right, let's move over to the actual game, and I'm I'm with you, Although when everybody seems to be on one side, I tend to try to push back a little bit. I don't know, though, I mean, Ohio State feels like the side here. They're a nine point favor. That line has moved a couple of times towards the way of the Buckeyes. I guess how I'll pose it is, how does how does Notre Dame stop this from becoming the Tennessee track meet? You know, how does Notre Dame stop this becoming an Oregon boat race? You know, to at least keep this thing close down the stretch.
Speaker 10: It would help if they snapped the ball with one second on the play clock. That'd probably be a really good decision on their part. The other thing that can help them is they have a choice to make. Al Golden has done a lot in terms of playing and defense as a defensive coordinator for Notre Dame. They're not going to be able to do that. I don't think, even though it has been their bread and butter, I think they're going to have to bracket him. And by bracketing, if you're listening to this, you go, ah, what do you mean, Doublelin doublin? This is what Belichick would do with best talent. He is defensive coordinator. Every time, you know, it's hilarioustuff to him talking to Chad Johnson saying, hey man, you can take the day off eighty five because we're doubling you.
Speaker 2: Chad Jofice.
Speaker 10: No, because if we do w we do something like Texas did, where we hold you to you know, we hold you to one yard or one reception for three yards. That's what they're capable of. Because you know what Jeremiah Smith can do. Jeremiah Smith can crack open an entire defense by himself. You can't let that happen. So flow pace double Jeremiah Smith. Hope you can live with the damage that the rest of them can do and then affect the delivery system. You gotta affect Will Howard. Will Howard is a good quarterback, sometimes great and even when he's great though, like a lot of great quarterbacks, and I think you saw this with the game between the Bills and the Ravens. You had guys who, when they're playing on the very edge of capability, you can make some stupid looking turnovers even if you're a great player. That's what you knew Will Howard to do. You need to affect him. You need to pressure him. That's hard given some of the injuries on Notre Dame's defense, which is yet another reason why you go, hey, I got to tell you a lot of stories, and I got to get you to believe a lot of things to get you to a notre dame upset. I don't need you to believe a thing to believe that are to get you to Ohio State wins this game.
Speaker 1: One more thing, Spencer, and we're going to end the way we started with a question that might not be on the exam you anticipated, but you referenced Urban Meyer's name earlier. And Urban was here for two years and really changed the directory of Utah football. And you know, obviously what he did at Florida Ohio State cannot be discounted. But at the very end, it wasn't just what happened in Jacksonville. There were just some kind of salacious, not great looks for him that kind of came out a little bit. He it was announced last week he's you know, he was adopted in the College Football Hall of Fame and again one of the in my opinion, as far as results go, one of the greatest ever do it. How will we look back on his tenure on both college and pro football, as you know, as the conversation ages a bit.
Speaker 10: I think you look at him as one of the greats.
Speaker 2: I think he was.
Speaker 10: Especially generationally, he was one of the best. I think that the guy who did that is no longer there. I think if you've looked at somebody who is the poster child for burnout, he's it.
Speaker 2: You know, he's.
Speaker 10: Somebody for whom it's not a guy who you looked at and you thought you look like you're having fun. At no point did any of that look like fun. So if you said, would urban Meyer come back for the love of the game, I would say, I don't know what you mean by love of the game.
Speaker 2: There does he need to get a.
Speaker 10: Bunch of guys to beat a bunch of guys up?
Speaker 2: That seems to be the thing he.
Speaker 10: Enjoyed and he was really good at. But I don't think he looked like somebody who ever said fun. And I don't think he's physically or mentally the same guy because of what he put himself through to get there. And I'm just talking about the Florida job before he ever gets to Ohio State or whatever Jackonville was. By the time he gets to Jacksonville, I don't think that's the same person. So I think he'll be remembered as one of the greats. I think that he'll also all of the bad stuff and all of the scars will be part of that legacy too, which is funny because one of like in that sense he resembles somebody who was one of the first guys he ever worked for, which is Lou Holt. I think that's a good comparison, except I think Meyer was better. And I like the records and the most notably the championship.
Speaker 1: Speak for that Spencer. Thanks for the time. I am going to give you a passing grade in an A plus, even though I tricked you with some questions, and enjoy the game tonight, man with chat soon. Okay, all right, all right, we're live today at the Warehouse eighteen twenty five South three hundred West. Come on by and say I centrally located in downtown Salt Lake City, Utah. If you're in the market for a mattress, a base, any sort of betting or sofa, they're blowing out their inventory and a lot of great deals. Eighteen twenty five South three hundred West. How about a free pillow?
Speaker 7: Huh?
Speaker 1: How about that? You'll bring in Josh Furlong. Today we have Scott Mitchell, Rick Neuheisel, but do a little NBA with one of my favorites on a Monday, Tom Haberstrow. On this Monday afternoon, Tom, what's your pillow preference? What's the pillow situation at the Haberstrow household.
Speaker 12: I'm so glad you asked, because I am a couch pillow guy.
Speaker 1: Wait, wait, wait, what exactly what does that look like?
Speaker 12: When I sit on the couch and watch TV, I need a pillow in my lap?
Speaker 1: Oh uh? Is that just like an odd quirk or is there a reason?
Speaker 2: Now?
Speaker 12: I think in the Haberstow household growing up, whenever we watch baseball or basketball in the house wall, we s fought over the big pillow.
Speaker 1: It was this green, down.
Speaker 12: Big pillow that was really heavy, and you would just kind of sit either Indian style or cross legged or whatever, and then we would be able to have this weight in our stomach, on our belly, and it kind of hid our insecurities about like you know, like when you sit on the couch and sometimes you feel kind of fat. If you hold a pillow while you're watching TV, it just adds about thirty percent more satisfaction to whatever you're watching. And so in bed I find myself doing the same thing. Where am I clutching a pillow, whether it's a body pillow or just a big, big monster pillow. I love a hotel room when there's like an obscene amount of pillows on the bed because that means one of them I can hug like a bear.
Speaker 1: Wow. Well, I should have expected a detailed breakdown from you on that question, because that's what you do with everything I ask you. So we'll move on because I'm sure our listeners are not all that interested in our pillow preferences. But come on by the warehouse, all right, let's start with look at you, Tom, Bravo, sir bravo. So let's start with the piece you wrote today, because it's very topical and you know, unfortunately, after Buffalo beat Baltimore, you knew that the majority of the covers was going to be very anti Lamar, who's just awesome and really really fun to watch. But the postseason is what it is, and a lot of people are drying the NBA parallel of James Harden. But you disagree, Tom, Let's unpack it.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 12: To be fair, I'm not an NFL analyst, but what I do well is I compare statistical resumes very well. I do the research and I find whether a James hard and comp makes any sense for a guy like Lamar Jackson, and I think it's off base. I don't think it makes any sense. Frankly, like we're measuring Lamar Jackson against the guy won one MVP, whereas Lamar Jackson's about to win his third or has a chance to win his third MVP in seven seasons. And so based on that alone, I think it's unfair to Lamar Jackson to be comparing him to James Harden win by objective accolades, and you know, statistically.
Speaker 11: Lamar is just better.
Speaker 12: And so what we want to do is say, oh, he's James Harden, because James Harden hasn't won a championship, he hasn't led his team to the NBA finals, besides, you know, being a part of that OKC team in twenty twelve. The guy that makes the most sense statistically individually, team wise is not James Harden. It's Giannis Enatakoumpo. And the reason is because and Jannis ended the Kompa before he won his title. First seven seasons in the league, he was three and five in the postseason in terms of playoff series one, he was three and five.
Speaker 2: That is the exact same.
Speaker 12: Record as Lamar Jackson in the postseason, three and five. They have the exact same number in their first seven seasons in the league of playoff appearances, they have the same exact number of conference championship or conference final appearances and finals appearances. It's the exact same They're identical first seven years in the league. And so I think we tend to look at Lamar Jackson as like, oh, he's never gonna win the big one, because you know, it's hard to look into the crystal ball and project what he's going to be. But I think it's unfair to paint him as the next or as James Harden of the NFL, considering that he's way better than James Harden ever was. I don't think James Harden was hands down considered the MVP in multiple years, and I think Lamar Jackson we could be looking at this a year from now in the same way we did with the Honest, where in twenty twenty he was in many eyes, a fraud that he was a regular season performer, back to back MVPs Defensive Player of the year in twenty twenty, in the same year he won MVP and he lost in the second round to the Miami Heat in five games. And so I think when you look at the resume both of these guys, it's like looking in the mirror. Lamar Jackson is Jannis and Jannis is Lamar Jackson. And I think a hear from now we could be talking about Lamar Jackson. We were all wrong the last year and he finally won the big ones.
Speaker 1: That excuse me, that's interesting. And I did not know which name you were gonna drop, and I would not have landed on you, honest, But I can understand ultimately the motivation. And you know, Lamar is too good to continue to have these postseason failures. I think at some point he's gonna break through. And the problem is the Chiefs have Mahomes and obviously Buffalo West Josh Allen, but we won't do NFL because that's not your bread and butter. And I am stretching to try to make one question about the Utah Jazz somewhat interesting, Tom, And here's what it is. So we all know that Larry Markenen is really good and he's the one piece in my opinion, they have found after trading Gobert and Mitchell that is real. I have questions about everybody else. Walker has certainly made some strides this year, and I'm happy for him and proud of him, for sure, But they're keeping Lowry out out of a lot of games, and we understand why. And he's only playing incrementally here or there, and when he has played this year, the numbers have dipped. I just wonder, in your opinion, what sort of danger there is, if any at all, when a team sits a star player a lot during the regular season, because you cannot replicate a game no matter what you do. And obviously Larry's practicing and he's staying in shape, and he's getting shots up and all the things that he does. But is there some sort of potential pitfall or danger when a team decides that they're going to shelf one of their best players for a number of different games throughout the course of the season.
Speaker 12: Yeah, it's definitely a concern with any any NBA star is whether you can really basically take a year off and get back to where you were beforehand beforehand, which is an All Star caliber player. And the weird thing about Lowry market in this year is that when he's on the floor, they're six and twenty five. When he's not playing, they're four and five. I mean, they're a five hundred team without Lowry marketing, and then there's six and twenty five with him on the floor. And so the idea is, hey, we can't really play market in if he's not one hundred percent. We want to make sure he doesn't get injured, we want to preserve him for the long haul. We got his long term view in the future. That makes all the sense in the world. But it is odd that his numbers have dipped and even when he does play, they're they're still not very good. And even when he doesn't play, they're actually on the hole. In a small sample size in nine games, they're four and five. So I think when you look at whether the decision is to play him or not play him, I think you got to play him. I think they're not good enough to be very competitive on a nightly basis, even with marketing, and this roster right now where John Collins has played one game since Christmas, and you're looking at a team that is playing the New Orleans Pelicans, they just lost to the Hornets, they just lost to the Pelicans, and when they just beat the Brooklyn Nets in overtime, you're asking yourself like it does seem counterproductive in the whole ping pong ball mass. But you remember, Utah still plays in the Western Conference, and whether they have Lowry markinin or not, they have the fourth hardest schedule remaining in the NBA by virtue of being in that Western Conference, and the team Washington that has the worst record in the NBA, they have the twenty ninth hardest I mean easiest schedule because they play in the East. So they are potentially Utah just by being four and a half games back of the Washington Wizards, just by virtue of being in the Western Conference, they might pile up some losses here, whether marketing plays or not, because the Washington Wizards had a cupcake schedule going forward and the Toronto Raptors the same way.
Speaker 1: All right, since it is only a few weeks away, and it feels like every time I dial up a trade deadline guide or prediction piece, the Jazz are mentioned, I have no idea whether or not they're going to be active, And we will revisit this Tom I apologize every single time you join us prior to the trade deadline, But you're a guy that's in the know, You're a guy that's plugged in hearing anything on the Jazz prior to this February fifth NBA trade deadline.
Speaker 10: Well, I think the Nick.
Speaker 12: Richards trade is very interesting. The Charlotte Hornets traded their backup center Nick Richards to the Phoenix Suns for essentially two second round picks. Very very interesting because I thought that he would get more than that. You look at a guy like John Collins, or you look at a guy like Walker Kessler. If you're the Utah front office and looking at that Nick Richards deal, you're probably a little scared. Because Nick Richards is a good play. He showed that in his Phoenix Sun's debut, and they saved Phoenix like twenty million dollars in tax money, and they took on a cheaper contract. Nick Richards was making less than Josh Akogi who went the other way to Charlotte, and Charlotte could only get two second round picks for Nick Richards. So I'm a little worried for the market value for Walker Kessler and John Collins based on that information. I think it's more unlikely that they get a deal done based on that price tag, because I don't think Utah is looking to trade John Collins or Walker Kessler if they're not getting a first round pick, And based on that market value Nick Richards and that great contract that he's on for five million dollars this year a little more than that next year, I suspect that there's a greater chance that they stay put in Utah then maybe a week ago. And you know, this is kind of them. When you're a team that is selling at the trade deadline, it's not necessarily you sell it for the highest bidder. It's that you sell it for a price that you're willing to sell it at. And for a lot of these teams, they might be flaunting these players and saying, yeah, they're available, but only if they need a certain asking price. And for you know, the Utah Jazz, I think that asking price, unfortunately might have to be pushed and squeezed downward because of that Nick Richards contract or that trade that the Phoenix Suns were able to get for him at a at a pretty pretty cheap number. So I'm a little surprised by that and I do think Utah is going to be active in the trade market, whether they're going to be helping to facilitate trades. We talked on the KOC Show last week, Kevin O'Connor and I we discussed about who would be a better fit in Minnesota, Julius Randall or John Collins, and I think John Collins would be a much better fit in Minnesota. But the tough thing about Minnesota is they have to trade. They can't aggregate contracts because there is second ap from team. So any team that trades with Minnesota has to take on Julius Randall, and I'm not so sure many teams are willing to do that unless Minnesota is sending away a first round pick. They do have Detroit. They have Detroit's first round pick this year, which actually becomes a little bit more valuable now that it's going to you know, not no longer be a lottery protected though I'm wondering, can John Collins go to Minnesota they take on the Julius Randall contract, but do they get a first round pick from Minnesota to kind of basically rid of themselves of the Julius Randall situation because it's not going well in Minnesota.
Speaker 1: So let's move over, excuse me, to other potential deals, and let's move over to Jimmy Butler, who is back playing for the Heat after that suspension, and it looked like, you know, Jimmy tried to come at the King and as they say, you best not miss and he may have because I talk to you about this, Tom when the news broke, like he wants out. When you dig into the details and you look at, you know, the cap situation and the ramifications of making a deal depending on what it is, it really just doesn't make sense for Miami to move him, and so maybe they find a deal. I don't know. I did enjoy grumpy Eric Spolstra after his first game, where you could my read on the Tom is that he's just over it, that he's kind of exhausted, and he just said, you know, essentially like I'm trying to win games and all I can focus on are the guys that are here. And this is what Jimmy Butler does. It's what he's done everywhere. There's a little Chris paul Field where he just grades on dudes. Do you think they find a spot for him prior to the trade deadlineer, is he with the Heat through the end of the year.
Speaker 12: Well, that player option is really interesting because you have kind of a James Harden situation in Philly where James Harden was so fed up with Daryl Morey he was like, I'm taking this player option and trade me. And it was kind of this standoff where Darryl Moore is like, all right, fine, I'll try to find a taker for you, and he ended up making a pretty good deal out of that. And so you know, James Harden wanted out of Philly. They couldn't get a deal over the summer, and so he picked up that player option and was just like, all right, now send me to the Clippers. And he did get the Clippers deal done. So maybe that's the James Harden play here is Look, if you can't find the trade partner at the deadline, if the only option is Phoenix and you're not taking the no trade clause, or you're not convincing Bradley Beal to wave the no trade clause, and the Miami Heat are not going to take on that Bradley Beal contract, which has at least two more years left on it at fifty million plus. I can understand why the Miami Heat.
Speaker 11: Are like, dude, we tried.
Speaker 12: Unfortunately, Jimmy, the market isn't as bullish on your next deal as you thought, and we're going to have to play this a little bit longer. And so it might be that Jimmy Butler says, all right, fine, we'll take this into the summer. If you really want to play it that way, We'll take the summer. I'll pick up the player option, and we'll keep on going this next year. I think ultimately they'll get a deal done the Miami Heat. I think the Phoenix Suns are going to be desperate the fact that they are basically five hundred right now, they're a game above five hundred, and they're looking at borderline playing team. They might miss the playan altogether. That would be an absolute, massive, massive disaster for Phoenix Suns. With Matt Eshby in that four hundred million dollars payroll this year. So I do think that if it comes to the Phoenix Suns giving up that twenty thirty one pick that they owe or that they have and they could trade in a deal, I think eventually that gets done. I think eventually the Phoenix Suns will look at the situation and say, whoever will take the Bradley deal, contact will sweeten it with this twenty thirty one pick and maybe even reroute it to the Miami Heat to get the deal done. But I do think that they're going to want Jimmy Butler enough that they're going to have to put all their chips in the middle because they cannot afford to miss the playoffs here. It's just a matter of who is that third team or fourth team that facilitates the Bradley Buil deal. I know that I've talked about on this program that it makes some sense, not a lot, but some sense in Detroit because of all the familial ties between the Phoenix Suns front office.
Speaker 11: And the Detroit front office.
Speaker 12: Don't sleep on the Detroit Pistons, who are right now in the ninth slot, five hundred ninth slot in the Eastern Conference. And I do think that you're going to see Detroit want to upgrade at the deadline to make sure that they solidify a really good season around Kate Cunningham, who's playing like an all star right now.
Speaker 1: Any other names slash teams you want to throw out there that could be active and deals that actually are are meaningful at as opposed to some of these throwaways we may see.
Speaker 12: Yeah, I think when you look at the Phoenix Suns, you see those reports about Kevin Durant and Devin Booker, I mean I would love Devin Booker on the Houston Rockets just in general as an NBA fan, I want to see the Houston Rockets team make a big push this year because I think they're ready. Fred Van Vliet great player, but I don't think he is the best player on a championship team or close to it. And I think if you get a Devin Booker or Kevin Durant, that makes just the NBA a lot more exciting. But you know, I never count out the.
Speaker 11: New York Knicks.
Speaker 12: The New York Knicks led by Leon Rose, led by a front office power center from CIA Creative Arts Agency. Leon Rose's number one client was Devin Booker and Karl Anthony Towns. Those were the jewels of his clientele. And he already got Karl Anthony Towns, and it might be a better time before he adds Devin Booker to the New York Knicks. If he had his brothers, I'd imagine, So it makes a lot of sense that the number one CAAA client on the market or at least in the NBA is Devin Booker, and basically the rest of the roster, including Jalen Brudson and Tom Thibodeaux and more. Why West all CAA guys, I would not count out if it's not this trade deadline, the long play of looking at the New York Knicks as a potential Devin Booker destination. I've written about that before on Yahoo Sports, but it's just something.
Speaker 10: To keep in mind.
Speaker 12: Is as the Phoenix Suns teeter at five hundred and might miss the playoffs playing altogether, just keep an eye on what Kevin Durant and Devin Booker do as the headline approaches.
Speaker 1: Last excuse me, last thing, Tim, I'll set you loose. After this simple question, OKAC continues just to be incredibly impressive, and you look down the list of teams that could potentially compete and win four times and seven tries the simple question, I'll ask you, does it feel like OKAC is starting to separate themselves from the rest of the West, And if not, who's that team that keeps Mark Dagnall up at night?
Speaker 12: Well, let's be real. They are not even as good as they can be right now, okayc is another level. I mean, that's the scary thing is chet Holmgren was arguably their best player for the first ten games of the season. What he did defensively both ways, spaces the floor, plays hard defense, the rim, can run a fast break, can run your offense. That dude might be coming back in a few weeks, and so whatever hope you had of catching Okac goes out the window. If Chet Holmgreen comes back and they're full, full squad, like full squad, no one's touching him. I don't think I don't think Cleveland is I don't think Boston is full squad. I think Okay see runs through the NBA Finals in the same way that you know Golden State, you know, when Steph Curry was, you know, turning the corner with under Steve Kerr, and just everyone in retrospect was like, oh yeah, why did we not see? How do we not see this coming? I think that's the Okac thunder this year. They're blowing teams out this year by such a margin that if it held for a full season, it would be the greatest regular season by point differential in NBA history, So I mean, it just seems inevitable to me. I know that they didn't get even to the conference finals last year, but I just think okay See is so good on both ends of the floor, and if Homegren comes back, it's a rap. I'm sorry, Spence, it's a rap. And that's why Utah it's smart to punt on this season because I don't think. I don't think anyone's going to be okay See this year in the Western Conference, and Cooper Flag is on the other side of that, and I think he's worth thanking for Sam.
Speaker 1: Where excuse me, where can people go find your work?
Speaker 12: Tomdfinder dot com? Have that Lamar Jackson post right there, and the New York Knicks post about how crazy the minutes are under Tom Thibodeau for that starting five. It's historic what we're seeing from that starting five, and how many minutes TIDS is playing those guys. Yahoo Sports KOC show last week and the Big Number podcast and of course Basketball Illuminati every Wednesday, the count the Dings Network.
Speaker 1: All right, buddy, appreciate the Tom. Have a good week with chat soon.
Speaker 2: You got Spence?
Speaker 1: All right, the great Tom havebers show Little NBA on a Monday afternoon. We're going to bring in Josh Furlong. Josh was in the building for Utah's went over BYU all Right live today at the warehouse. Come on by and say hi. The address is eighteen twenty five South, three hundred West. Phone numbers eight oh one, four sixty seven, two two zero two. Sofas, mattresses, bases, you name it, anything you need for your homed. They've slash prices and I'm partially upset that I didn't know about this because I bought a bunch of stuff from my house a few months ago and spent way too much money apparently. So come on buy and say I. We'd love to meet you and say hello. We are going to bring in Scott Mitchell today to talk a little Utah football. Then Rick newhis Will stops by for a preview of tonight's college football National Championship. You can hear the game on our station. We're gonna say good night at five thirty, but we'll do some mutes now with our buddy Josh Furlong from KSL, who was in the building on Saturday night to watch Utah beat BUYU. Josh Happy Monday, buddy, how are we doing a little?
Speaker 5: How are you spent well?
Speaker 1: I appreciate your time today. So let's start with the atmosphere. I got to say in in Craig said after the game, you know, fans impact winning, and you know, I was a student there in the nineties, late nineties when the head coach was a guy named rickman Jaris and I, I think Josh from my vantage point, that was the first time I've been to a game that kind of felt like the old days. So we'll get to the game. But what'd you make of what I perceived to be a really fun atmosphere the Huntsman Center on Saturday night?
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean for Utah, that was one of the best crowds they've had in a long time. It was you know a lot of people worry that BUAU fans are going to come buy all the tickets because they were expected to do well and everything that way, but you know, krudos to the students that came up. I mean, that was probably the biggest mus student section that I've seen in quite some time, probably dating back to maybe those a's on the UCLA days, and Utah was pretty competitive with them.
Speaker 2: But it was.
Speaker 5: It was just a good rock of environment, and I think they really impacted the way that Utah was able to play, And I mean, I think that's that's the way it should be, right. Fans impact away winning and giving momentum and everything, and sure the product on the court has to kind of match that to an extent, but I think they've really been able to blend that lately, and you're starting to see maybe people buying in a little bit more So.
Speaker 1: The question is how much of it had to do with BYU being in town, how much of it had to do with Utah winning a couple of straight games. Was there something that was different about the promotion the game ops? I mean, look, the bottom line is, as I've talked about for years, to give any Utah coach a fair fighting chance, the fans have to show up because kids want to play in front of people. And if a recruit comes to the Huntsman Center and there are seven hundred and fifty people there spread out over the play all over the place, it's going to be tough to attract good players, high end talent. The best thing this community can do if they want Utah basketball to be good again is to make Saturday night the reality every night. You think that's a realistic expectation.
Speaker 5: Now, I mean, I think it's getting there, right, I think I think you're absolutely right though. I mean the fact that, you know, football is able to have so many sellouts, that absolutely buies into some of what Utah success has been.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 5: Players to those games, they come to the environment and they see it. You know, the gymnastics, you've got sellout crowds every single night. With basketball, you've had that, but in reason it hasn't been able to be there. And I think it does go hand in hand with what is there. And I you know, I have I've been impressed with with the crowd since Utah you know, starts conference play, Big twelve play has been much more improved. There's been much more fans. I mean, it's nothing like it was with BYU. That's always going to be a big draw and obviously that's gonna get more of a sellout. But I have been impressed that people are showing up a little bit more. I think they're starting to realize that, you know, they impact winning to an extent. Outside of Saturday though, I mean, the student section still hasn't been that great and then to me, you know, if you're going to Utah, I don't understand why you're not there. You know, what else are you doing. You've either got you know, homeworker or something else. There's no reason not to go to those games and show out. So to me, that's still kind of the piece that's lacking. And I think those are the ones that are going to be more raucous and and you know, spirited. You know, the the older people that are sitting there just looking to have a good time with the season tickets, They're not necessarily the ones that are gonna be kind of riled up. So it's getting there, but I still think they have a long ways to go.
Speaker 1: So let's dig into the game for a little bit here, Josh. I mean, I don't know that there would be anybody out there who would debate that Byu has not just superior talent on paper, but like far superior talent on paper. The last Jonathan Cavoni mock draft has Yego demon as a top seven prospect. Candon Catching is a lot of people believe as a first round kid as well. I believe, I know the reports are out there that Yegor is a seventh figure nil Kid, and I think Canon is as well. And we don't even have to stop there. Mark Pope badly wanted Richie Saunders and Dollen Hall to go to Kentucky. Fus has been around forever and he's really really good. And I'm not saying Craig doesn't have horses. I'm saying I don't believe he has the horses Kevin does. So that to me was a very very well coached game by Craig Smith, and players certainly deserve some credit for making timely play. But what do you most attribute Utah's win too on Saturday night.
Speaker 5: I think it's mostly coming down to them realizing that the way that they're going to be able to compete in the Big twelve is they have to play as a team. They don't have a guy that is necessarily going to go hero ball or go ISO on some guy. You know, Gabe Madison's probably been your closest to that in the past, especially with the spot up shooting. But Utah has to be a team to be able to win these games, and you saw that in these last three games, especially that TCU game on the road. I mean, they were passing the ball at an elite level. They were doing things that allowed them to be able to just really take advantage of their teamwork and move together. It started out that way at the beginning of the season, and you can argue, you know, that's non conference play and you're playing teams and like the three hundreds RPI type levels, but you saw some chemistry. It kind of started to fall away for a long time, and you're starting to get that now they don't have those players that you're talking about right, like deman Is. You know, we'll see, we'll see if he's able to be able to go into the into the draft this year. I mean, I think the Utah game is just one example of kind of him not living up to expectations recently. But clearly they have far more talent on paper. But I think the big advantage for Utah's they're finding ways to get guys to believe, they're finding ways to be able to play as a team. And then when you do have somebody that goes off like an Ezrasr, you know, it makes it so much easier to just keep feeding him and then if he's not working, then you can pass it out to somebody else. It's just it's become much more of a team mentality with the running uts. You know, it's kind of embodies Craig's atmosphere where he's not always going to be able to get the top end guys, you know, whether it was at Utah State or other places, but he's going to find a way to make you play as a team and do well. And when teams buy in to his strategy, it generally works. Though. He's had a winning strategy and I think you're starting to see that. So, you know, for their sake, for Craig's sake in terms of his tenure at Utah, you have to hope that that's kind of catching on and that they can continue to fight that. But this road's not going to be easy in the Big twelve.
Speaker 1: So after the game, Craig was emotional when asked about Ezra Ezra Sar and you rode on it, and I gotta say, man, I was wildly impressed with that kid. Because Kevin Young tried everybody. The only player who had a little bit of success was actually kay Bakeata. But you know, Ezra was taking Trey Orri to school and he was Josh. He's listed at six to eight give me a break. He might be six ' five, there's no way he's six ' eight. There's a little like Adrian Dantley for you old school of the NBA Jazz fans are like Larry Johnson in New York after he injured his back in Charlotte. Because it's footwork, it's pump fakes. He can finish with the right hand, with the left hand, and by you couldn't do anything with him. So what stood out most to you about his performance, how he's played over the past few weeks, and what should you fans know as to why Craig appeared to be emotional when asked about Ezra after the game on Saturday. Yeah.
Speaker 5: I mean, this is a guy that didn't really start playing basketball until his junior or senior year year of high school, and so he's still relatively new to basketball and obviously has some God given talent in his ability. But you know, there's there's a lot there where he's still trying to be able to understand that he can do things right. He's learning confidence in himself. I don't I don't know all the inner workings of what's going on in his life. Obviously, he had a death in the family recently. That's that's impacting him. But there's other things that I think is more just kind of on the human side in terms of just being able to believe that you can be there right. You know. It's that imposter syndrome that we all face sometimes where it's like am I really living? You know, am I really this good? Or is it you know, just happenstance type stuff. But I think with him, you know, when he starts to believe in himself, he's a completely different player and he can impact winning in a large way. As you saw, you know, I mean his his head fakes, you know, pump fakes, whatever, whatever he was doing was just absolutely destroying b what you and they had no answer for it. Then he found a way to be able to draw contacts to be able to send him to the free throw line, and he's improved the free throw line. But if not, he was either able to get an easy dunk or he was able to get a nice lay up. I mean, you know, he's a big guy, Like you said, he's not six eight, I don't think, you know, but he's much more wiry than somebody like a Fussini that he should be able to not have that kind of ability to be able to do that, and nothing was stopping him, right, And I think I think that's the fun thing that you can see with him, is when you get a guy that can start to believe in himself. And sometimes this happens in college, sometimes it happened in you know, high school ranks or you know, wherever it is, then it starts to change their game. They start to believe in themselves, and I think that really unlocks kind of a guy's potential. I really think that that's where he's at. You know, Craig's a big believer in guy's unlocking their potential. You know, he's very invested into these guys as much as you want to say, you know, it's the nil Era and transferportal Ara and he's just trying to fill a roster. Craig deeply cares about these people, and he cares very much so about Ezra. I'm seeing him as a human being, and so I think all of that kind of just combined on Saturday, and it just was this perfect storm for him, obviously to get the win, but him just to be able to showcase his skills and say that he can't actually do it on the floor.
Speaker 1: So I know this is gonna sound weird, but I didn't think Gabe was that bad, and I'm gonna tell you why. Okay, So Gabe mattson two of twelve from the floor, one of eleven from three. He had four boards, he had three assists, He had three turnovers on the eight points. And Gabe is, in my opinion, the most important player on this team from an offensive standpoint. But I want to give Byu a lot of credit because they played him really well. Lot magg started out on him, Dawson Baker had some minutes, Ritchie Saunders had some minutes, but they were gapping him. They were blitzing him off every single screen, whether it was a baseline screen, a down screen. There were two players on him as soon as he was coming off screens. He didn't have space, but he was for the most part intelligent with his decision making and allowed for some open space for other players. And I wondered if Craig was gonna put Hunter ericson in because all they need did was somebody to be able to knock down some shots with the gravity that that Gabe was mandating. Because there were open looks and I was really happy for Hunter obviously as a former b YU kid who hit two massive threes. They do not win that basketball game without Hunter ericson. But give me your take on how Utah was able to utilize kind of the attention BYU gave Gabe to open up the lanes for Ezra and Lawton, and then your thoughts on Hunter coming in and knocking down some really big shots.
Speaker 5: Yeah, first off, I'll touch on Hunter. I mean, those those were cut shots. I mean in overtime, especially him being able to hit that deep three that changed the entire tone of the of that that arena. Right, he hits that, Suddenly Utah has life again, and then it was even possible for him to be able to have those free throws. The fact that he air air bald one and then still managed to go to the line the next time and drain both of them, I mean, a gutsy, gutsy play for a guy that a lot of people have kind of cast off. That's another guy that you know, he was in the starting unit at b YU, but then had to kind of go to SLCC to kind of refigure himself out, and he's been able to develop and become a key piece to Utah. He's not always your starter, he's not always the guy that's going to, you know, need his minutes. But he's a guy that is the glue guy, the guy that comes in and says, I'll do whatever you need me to do and do it. So on his kudos to him because he's been a phenomenal asset for UTAH. But I'm that same bane Gabe has as well. Right, he's obviously been in a shooting slump, and it's very tough for shooters to be in a shooting slump, right. But at the same time, like I've seen on Twitter, people are like, we need to bench him. He needs to not be on the floor anymore. But the reason that you spelled out exactly is that he draws people away. He provides that spacing, and in college you don't get a ton of spacing like you do in the pros. And so the more that he can do to just spread the floor out and stretch it out a little bit to allow somebody like a loss and Lovering or an Ezra Sar or Keanu Das or any of these guys to be able to work in the post. It's because of him because they know that the second they decide to not respect him and they pay too much attention into that post game, he's going to stand out there and pop off a shot and one of those is going to fall on in these times, and I think that's the benefit that UTAH has right here. Maybe teams start to relax on Gabe a little bit as they start seeing somebody like a loss and work or an Ezra work, and they really have to respect that post game. But Utah has done a good job of being able to develop itself where they can be an inside out game. They can do whatever they need to where you can go into the post and feed that and be able to hit at a consistent level there. But if they decide to take that away, you do have shooters. Maybe it is Hunter, maybe it's Gabe. You know, his brother Mason hasn't been able to see the floor as much lately, But somebody like a Gabe, even though his numbers have not been great, and I know that's frustrating to him. If anything, he's becoming a decoy to be able to spread the floor and if he gets the opportunity to shoot it, he's gonna shoot it. And you know, generally he's gonna make it. It's just been a tough stretch for him. And when those start falling, you hope that it's like in March. You know, hopefully it's before then, but you know, Utah hopes that he'll continue to be in that mix. And once that does, you know, they become a very deadly team, especially if they can get both of those those games inside out working.
Speaker 1: Okay, Josh, let's get weird. Let's get weird on a Monday, all right. Utah picked to finish last in the Big Twelve, And as we learned during football season, when I believe Arizona State was picked to finish last in the Big Twelve, we don't know a damn thing, and we're all just guessing. That's why I try to diagnose, not prognosticate, because it's impossible. What are you willing to say if you open up that, Josh, for a long imagination about what you believe Utah's chances are in this conference this year? And do you think they could make the NCAA tournament? What are your thoughts?
Speaker 5: Oh, that's a tough one, man. I think you know they're gonna have to be able to steal some of these games that they have upcoming, you know, a Houston or a Baylor game, that Baylor game at home. That's the real possibility that you could steal and give you a real shot of kind of some life. But as you know, as we've learned a sport, the team that gets hot at the right time is going to be able to do it. So I wouldn't necessarily count Utah out. I think if they can continue to stay engaged the way that they have been, there's a shot. But I you know, I mean outside of going on a massive streak of winning, I mean, their best shot is honestly got to be at the conference tournament, where you just hit the right teams, you play right on the right days, and be able to win in that large bid that way. I just I don't know. I think the odds are still against them. I think they're at this point still an NIT level team. But you know, the last three games are shown that they can do it right. You can go to TCU, a place that teams just don't win that no Big twelve team is beating TCU in in Fort Worth this year except for Utah. They can do it right. This is a team that can contend with Iowa State. They've done it, they just haven't been able to finish or put it together consistently. So I'm willing to go and stretch my neck out and say that there is a possibility. You know, I don't think the dream is dead by any means, but I'd still think there's so much that has to go that even isn't in their control for them to be able to make it. But the fact that you can even be in that conversation is at least a good.
Speaker 1: Thing for sure. Josh, thanks for the time, brother, to have a great week and we'll get you back on soon.
Speaker 5: Okay, thanks, appreciate it. Man, a good one.
Speaker 1: Josh Furlong covers University of Utah for KSL the utes. We're able to get that win over BYU. Coming up, excuse me BYU on Saturday. But coming up, we have some breaking news. The Utah Houston game has been postponed to Wednesday nights. So Utah Houston men's basketball scheduled originally for tomorrow, has been postponed due to severe weather in the area. The game has been rescheduled for Wednesday, January twenty seconds at four o'clock Mountain time, which means our show on Wednesday is going to be short. All right, Live today at the Warehouse, eighteen twenty five South, three hundred West, Incredible deals on sofa's mattresses bases. Come on bye, My guy Vidal is going to take care of you. It's eighteen twenty five South three. Who asked? The phone number is eight oh one four six seven twenty two two. Rick Newheisel's excuse me. Rick new Heisel is our guest coming up in just a little bit to preview tonight's National Championship game. We're gonna say good night in time for that. So at five point thirty. It's not for Notre Dame and Ohio State, but our next guest good enough to join us from time to time, which he's not traveling the world or hanging out with kids you went to high school with. It turned into serial killers. It's a real thing. Scott Mitchell on a Monday, Scott, Happy Monday. How are we doing?
Speaker 2: I'm doing awesome. That's a great introduction right there. You know, listening to that commercial, it's like, why would you ever turn off ESPN seven hundred. I mean you could catch all the games you shouldn't listen all the time. You get, you get you, you get Sean O'Connell. Come on, people listen all the time. That's what I have to say.
Speaker 1: Scott Mitchell, who apparently has been hired as our general sales manager, joins the show today. You're not wrong, Scott. I appreciate the pub and of course everyone wants to listen when you're on the show. But here's my question, Scott Mitchell, right out of the gates Detroit Lions fans on a Monday after that loss where a lot of people thought they were going to be right in the mix to win the entire thing. You played pro ball for Detroit at a very high level. I just wonder what you takes. And I love the Jade and Daniel story. And Washington hasn't been in the Conference champions title game in thirty three years. But you know, if you're a Lions fan, you finally had it. Everything was in place, you were relatively healthy, and the wheels fell off, some injuries defensively, But what do you think that community is like on this Monday afternoon, Scott.
Speaker 2: I just my heart goes out to all those people, and if I wanted to see something in sports ever happen. It was the Detroit Lions winning a Super Bowl simply for their fans. They really are some of the best fans in the world in the sense that they are so loyal to this team. I mean, this team's not any good and folks still show up and they're lifer. These are life, life long Lion spans. They've worn the badge of you know, futility for so long and it just felt like it was going to be their time. And love the coach and what he's doing, and and just the nucleus of players you just pull for them, you know, with pull for Jared Golf and and just you know, want him to do well, and just so many good things there. It was crushing, but it really brings to light something that's a brutal truth about the NFL, and that's it's hard to win. It's hard to win in the playoffs, it's hard to win a Super Bowl. And so he sees people like Tom Brady's doing seven times. You you understand that a lot of luck gets involved in that. But also, man, they're really good and they're they're really good teams to be able to do that. You're seeing that to some degree with the Kansas City Chiefs, but it's just a hard thing. And part of it that makes a hard expense is they only have one game. Like it's every week is do or die. You know, you don't get any you don't get a reset, you don't get a do over. It's it's a sudden death elimination every week. And it's the brutal reality and the harshness of professional football. But also what makes it so compelling and so intriguing. You know, you tune in because you just see how that pressure of having that you're done in year out does to people, and it impacts people in different ways, which is why Jade and Daniels is so freaking amazing what that guy's do. Like he must have like some something in his brain that doesn't work, and it's that fear, It's that it's that pressure button or something, because because a rookie should not be playing like that, not only in the playoffs, all season long. He's just been incredible.
Speaker 1: He has And let me let me follow up, because Scott we had him out in this direction. Jane Daniels was a Pac twelve kid and I'll just speak for myself when I watch at Asu. I'm like, man, he's fun, he's dynamic, he's talented. But I mean, come on, like, I don't. I don't think even the most art and Jayden Daniels fans will tell you they saw this coming. But I cheer, as I often say when everybody, whenever anybody asks me, like who do you cheer for to win? I say all the local teams, And then I just cheer for stories. And I'm here for this jad and Daniels story as they're taking on Philly now coming up for the chance to go to the Super Bowl. What what are you most impressed about the way Jadeen Daniels has been able to traverse this, this rookie experience in pro football.
Speaker 2: He had committed to Utah. I mean he was he was committed to Utah and her Edwards came in kind of at a late date and and swooned him away. And I think part of the intrigue, because this is my this is part of my answer to your question. Part of the intrigue was I feel like her Medwards can get me to the NFL. And I think Jayden Daniels and he talks about it that he saw himself as this kind of player would He was a young kid, and his whole thing was about playing and playing great in the NFL. And and he said, you know, I could go to Utah and and and how many you know, how many you know, they're not a hotbed for quarterback per se. But I could go to Arizona State, where I've got a coach who did coach in the NFL, who did play in the NFL. And then when that fell apart, he goes, I'm going to go to the big you know, he has a chance to go to LSU. So he's had this willingness to do whatever it took to go wherever he needed to go to get himself in the right position to be able to play at a high level because he was he was exceptional at at LSU. And I think that move to LSU was that thing that really kind of put him over over the top. And you know, and then and then on top of it, and this is the biggest thing I think of all spence of anyone like you know this post Sha dur Sanders and so does he go, don where does he go? Kind of thing. Jayden Daniels went to a coach, went to a system that was like built for quarterbacks, and Cliff Kingsbury done a phenomenal job for a long time. You know, if you're a young quarterback, that's like, I want to go where that guy. I don't want to go any coach that's a defensive minded coach, don't I don't want to go there. Don't put me there, don't let me go there. I'll retire before I ever start kind of mindset. And Jade Daniels really lucked into the right coach at the right time to fit who he is, and they've done a beautiful job of really accentuating what he can really do. And I mean he's consistently done it all season long.
Speaker 1: He has all right, it was inevitable that the sports media news cycle was going to contain a lot of Lamark just cannot do this come playoff time content, and I had to at some point turn it off because it just gets so Scott. I do not think wins and losses are a quarterback stat That's my opinion. But having said that, the record is what it is. That looked like a very cold and challenging place to try to play quarterback, and the other team has Josh Allen they're pretty good. So what's fair to say today on this Monday after the Ravens and the Baltimore Ravens and Lamar Jackson once again are ousted early on in the postseason.
Speaker 2: But when you have two players, you have two teams that are competing at a high level. Every little play, every moment matters, and with the turnovers and the drop passes in the in the critical times, the teams that win, they find a way to get it done. At the end of the game, they find a way to close it out and win it and and and you have to it's it's just a learned thing. I mean, Peyton Manning, I think the first five years he was in the playoffs he really struggled. And you know, and there's a lot of guys have been really good that haven't been amazing in the playoffs, and then you have some other guys that, you know, kind of kind of do a better job. So I agree with you, and the wins and losses and playoffs and Super Bowls really shouldn't account for the greatness of a quarterback, for sure. But because I love Lamar Jackson and I think he put him in a position in a tough environment in tough playing conditions to tie the game. And you know he throws a nice touchdown pass late the guy drops the ball. Guy the same guy fumbles the ball earlier as they're moving into score. And you know that's that's not on Lamar Jackson. I mean he was there. You know, he was a guy that was present when the game was on the line. He didn't fold, he didn't crumble from it. He did what he had to do to put him in a position to win the game. If I'm a coach Spence and I got a chance to have Lamar Jackson on my team, I raised both hands. I said, yes, yes, yes, I love the guy, and I think he's done an exceptional job of becoming a multi dimensional player. He really throws the ball a lot better than he did in the past. And then but he's just this elite runner as well. And so I like his game. I like it a lot. And he'll just keep playing, you know, he'll eventually get this off his back, and and who he's a great talent. I don't know why people are ragging on him.
Speaker 1: Scott as a Jets fan, I'd trade the Statue of Liberty for Lamar Jackson. Kidding me, like, I don't know what that would do for the Ravens. But no, to your point, yeah, like you take him on your team every time. All right, let's move over now. Actually, no, I want to ask you about Chiefs Texans. The narrative seems to be after a really strong rookie season, c J. Stroud has kind of come back down to earth. Is that fair? Do you agree with that?
Speaker 2: Yeah? I mean because he was, you know the same thing with Jaydan Daniels, you know. And I'm just gonna go back to what I said in the beginning, it's hard to win. I remember one of the first things that Dan Marino ever told me, and it just really stuck with me. He said, I went to the Super Bowl my second year. I had this unbelievable see you know throw. I mean he he sent this record back in nineteen ninety ninety or nineteen eighty four, you know, just it was insane what he was doing throwing the football then, and and he and they just march through everyone go to the Super Bowl and they get trounced by the forty nine ers, but he goes, we thought we would be back to the super Bowl every year after that. Like I just I just and and and every every year he never ever got back again. And he was a tremendous player. And you know, I really like CJ. Stroud. I've liked him. When he played Utah in the Rose Bowl, I I just was very impressed with how he threw the ball and and uh and I just really liked it, like his game. But you know, every season is just it's it's its own thing. And and you can't live on what happened in the past. You have to find a way to uh evolve your game. Because coaches go, those coaches sit in those rooms, Spence, they sit in the ark for hours and they go, how do we beat this guy? What's his weakness? Where what can we do to just really mess with him? You know? And Bill Belichick is a master at all that stuff. And and until you can adjust your game and kind of figure it out and evolve, you know, and and things have to bounce, right, It's it's really hard. So I'm not down on CJ. Stroud, not surprised that this has happened. The NFL is cool. It's just it is a hard business to win and and and to be consistently good for a long period of time. It speaks volumes of a player and their ability and of course the team that they're on.
Speaker 1: We've got Conference Championship Sunday coming up, and at this point I'm not going to doubt Washington. Like I said, thirty three years since their last NFC Championship appearance. Philly's getting five and a half. As far as the spread goes, we don't really have an accurate forecast, but it's Philadelphia in January, so I'm sure it won't be awesome. Like I said, it's hard to pick against him. Do you think a magical run continues or do you like Philly?
Speaker 2: Well? What Here's one of the things that's really good about Jayden Daniels and why he's having success is mechanically he's really sound. So his throwing motion holds up like in the pressure situations. Think of like a free throw shooter. You know you got someone with just a nice stroke and in pressure situations, you know it just doesn't crumble. But to get a guy who's kind of got bad form and it's just accentuated when he's at the line and even if there's more pressure on So so that mechanically sound motion allows for him to be pretty consistent throwing the football and especially in pressure situations. I'm just telling you, he's just got a demeanor, he's got a mindset. It would be hard to bet against him. But folks, you know, these two teams have played each other twice this year. This will be the third time. So he's not going to be unfamiliar. You're to the to the Philadelphia Eagles, and and and vice versa. You know, these teams know each other well, and they're they're gonna know probably better than anyone, how to prepare for and how to eliminate, you know, some of these successes or comfort you know, plays that he's had, and so so it's it's a tough thing. It's really hard to predict things when you played each other, you know, two or three times in a year.
Speaker 1: And then the afternoon game, of course, everyone's going to be talking about this for the second straight year. We're going to see the Bills and the Chiefs and Arrowhead and the winner will advance to the Super Bowl. I just I don't know, Scott. I'll see to you because you played and you're the expert here. It just feels like it's Josh's time to me, but I could be wrong because Kansas City just finds a way to figure it out week in and week out. But who do you like in the afternoon until at Arrowhead?
Speaker 2: Well, you know, it's so it's so hard because I feel like Kansas City has been living on borrow time all this year. And there are kind of some there's a statement or a thought process where it takes a little bit more time to win before you should and then you win a little bit after you shouldn't, just because you're so experienced and you're just so savvy as a team. And that kind of feels like where Kansas City is right now. They feel like they're an injury or just a bump and the bruise away from kind of falling off the cliff. It's hard. No one's ever like won three super Bowls in a row, which tells you how hard that is. So I kind of tend to agree with you. I just I just feel like this is Josh Josh Allen's year. He's a guy that's evolved and learned how to win and learned how to kind of modify his game and and and manage you know, kind of how much and when he runs, which is I think a good thing because I think he's relatively healthy at this time of year, and and he's a guy that's you know, not uncomfortable going into that environment. He's been there before and and played well and so and I don't think the Buffalo Bills are unfamiliar with that environment either. But I you know, it feels like it's his year. But man, don't don't don't count out Patrick Mahomes.
Speaker 1: You're not wrong there all right before I set you lose National Championship. College Football National Championship. It's on our radio station. He kicks off in exactly one hour. At eight minutes, Ohio State is getting nine points. Scott can notre Day make this a fair fight.
Speaker 2: I don't really think so. Personally. I think Ohio State is clearly the better team. I think they're a team that's ready to win.
Speaker 7: Uh.
Speaker 2: I think they're they're they have more talent just across the board as as a team, both on offense and defense. And I think I think winning and having a playoff format like this has kind of been a good thing for Ryan Day where he doesn't have the pressure of winning the Big Twelve championship and so having an expanded playoff I think gave them a little bit of a mulligan, you know, because you and I think playing it appeared the teams that played more and didn't have to buy actually did better in the playoffs. And that doesn't mean it's going to be that way. I think every year it will be different. But I love the playoff format. I love you know what it's brought to the table, and I'm actually glad these two teams are playing. But I just I think Ohio State is the better team.
Speaker 1: I'm with you, Scott. Thank you for your time today, buddy, have a great week, enjoy the game tonight, and then hopefully you can get you soon.
Speaker 2: Okay, all right, look forward to it. Thanks bitch.
Speaker 1: All right, Scott Mitching, one of the best to ever do it at the University of Utah, played in the NFL for the Detroit Lions and some other teams as well. Appreciated time.
Speaker 12: All right.
Speaker 1: Were live at the warehouse. Rick new Heiseel is going to join us the previous tonight's game. Warehouse is eighteen twenty five South, three hundred West. We are moving product, we are making people happy, we are aiding people money. We have the college Football National Championship game on our radio station between Ohio States and Notre Dame. Let's bring it in our next guest, because I have misbehaved with the clock and I hate to keep him waiting. Pleasure to spend some time with Rick new Heisel last week here in Park City, and Rick joins us now on a Monday Rick, Happy Monday, sir, How are you?
Speaker 11: I am fantastic Spence. How you doing man? And that was that song that you brought me back with? Is that just trying to explain to the listeners how old I am?
Speaker 2: What the heck you doing? You know?
Speaker 1: I hate to blame my producer, but porter decided to play it must just been the California Ties. It's a wonderful song, Rick, is it not?
Speaker 11: It's a great song. It was written in the sixties, performed in the sixties, and so am I a video product of the sixties.
Speaker 2: So there you have it?
Speaker 1: Okay, fair enough? Well, I wanted to bring some of the because I thought it was so fascinating listening to you discuss the future of college football last week during the daunt List Capital event that we did, and people really enjoyed what you had to say, and I actually it kind of gave me some hope, so I wanted to bring that conversation on air. We're, of course, in saul Lake City, where the home of the University of Utah Brigham Young plays their college ball about forty forty five miles away, and the hypothetical I kind of posed to you. I indicated it felt like we're headed towards a pro model, and you kind of pushed back a little bit on that, and I thought your answer was well thought out and very well articulated. So for our listeners, who of course didn't have a chance to hear it, the Rick new heisil take on the future of college football and specifically where you think Utah and BYU could fit in well.
Speaker 11: Currently, if you subscribe to the theory that, as the old man said to his son one day, the answers money, Now what was the question? If you subscribe to that theory, then we are headed to super late and that is going to be incredibly successful. And there's going to be a little bit of a kind of a gumball rally as to which teams make the field and how big the field actually is.
Speaker 2: Is it the SEC and the Big ten?
Speaker 11: Are they going to take some you know, folks from the Big twelve and the ACC that are currently positioned well. And really, if you choose to do that, which the big money people might very well and the television executives might very well, you're basically just saying it's it's all a product of timing, right. Stanford ten years ago would have been in the Big ten, but ten ten years later after they didn't, you know, keep up with the Joneses with admissions. They're now in the ACC. Utah given their amazing rise from Mountain West to Pac twelve now to the Big twelve. And I know it was an off year for the Utes given the injuries, but Utah could very well be on the right side of the line, as could be why you've given a ten win season. So these are things.
Speaker 2: But why would we do that?
Speaker 11: Why would we, you know, limit the amount of opportunities that were providing young people. Remember that only three percent of these kids and that's a high number, are going to get a chance to play professionally. So why would we do that? Why would we limit educational opportunities? I would offer that we can keep everybody. There's currently one hundred and thirty three teams in Division one, we can keep everybody. What we have to do is make the smaller leagues, those who aren't as attractive as television attractive. And the way you do that is you borrow the European soccer model of promotion relegation, So you get these smaller conferences able to win their way into the big conferences, and the big conference seller dwellers who are just raking money off the top, they have to go to the other leagues and earn their way back. And I think we'll get a competitive model. We'll have way more popular television inventory, and my fingers across, that'll be the choice because that will keep as many scholarships as is possible, which is exactly what the whole enterprise was created for.
Speaker 1: And I love your anecdote about you being a walk on and ultimately needing to kind of maintain the space for people to have the same experience you did.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 11: Yeah, Rick du Heisel doesn't exist in the future. I mean, he doesn't get to play at UCLA. He can find his way to Division two and so forth. But to get a chance to run out on the field and see that rose in the center of it, and to be the you know, the MVP of a Rose Bowl doesn't happen. That's not fair. There are guys out there that deserve that chance, that have worked their tails off, and I got my fingers crossed that we'll do the right thing. And the leaders, more importantly, the leaders of college football who are going to be offered extravagant sums of money, will be willing to say, listen, let's push a little of that back in the table and remember who this is really poor.
Speaker 1: So perhaps the role of private equity and venture capitalist funds in college football isn't as topical or interesting to certain listeners as it is to me. But I find it fascinating that we could be moving into a space, rick, as you know, where college football teams at some point, And we're seeing this a little bit because college football teams have general managers, some of them have cap experts and a ton of lawyers to make sure they're following the rules. But ownership structures could potentially eventually look like the NFL. Do you feel like that's also becoming closer and closer to a reality.
Speaker 11: Well, in certainly the Big Twelve where Utah resides, and also the ACC, it's a reality because they're face right between the eyes with this proposition of the House Settlement, which is going to cost them some measure of twenty million dollars a year annually to pay their players.
Speaker 2: That's just going to happen.
Speaker 11: And if it doesn't happen, it's even worse news because we're.
Speaker 13: Going to lose that lawsuit.
Speaker 11: That number will be exponentially high higher and will lose programs. Again, the goal for me is preserve all the programs. So what has to happen is we have to keep looking at how we're going to provide the resources for the enterprise. We didn't look in the future. We kept breaking off the table even though the golden goose was even getting more gold and fatter. And at the end of the day, now the Supreme Court has realized that these are employees. These kids are working hard, and they're not getting enough of the proceeds. So now that they're going to we've got a restructure, and in restructuring, I hope that private equity will be included. And that doesn't make it bad, that doesn't make it professional. It just means that we're borrowing some money for a good return that will make this all make sense. And again, if you don't think of this through the eyes of how much am I going to make, but how many scholarships I'm going to retain? And I know that sounds Pollyanna will be better off for it.
Speaker 1: I wanted to move over to a conversation you and I had about the PAC twelve because when we got on the phone, you were good enough give me some time. We discussed you know what I perceived to be and look, I know it's yesterday's news, but I don't give a chance in view you on the show very often. And I'm still sad about it because as a student at the University of Utah in the late nineties, I understand how the PAC twelve changed, not just the athletic department but the school that I attended, and when it collapsed, I just I was pretty bummed out. And it's a new day, it's a new world Utahs on the the Big twelve. But you have kind of a little bit of a different take, and I don't want to speak for you, but potentially George Klaioff cough kind of falling on the sword and maybe a bit of an unfair way. Is that a fair way to to kind of articulate your your sentiment.
Speaker 11: I think it's too easy to point at the commissioners Larry Scott and George Klayoff Coff as the villains here. Maybe they made some four decisions, and retrospectively, I think they would both agree that they have. But at the end of the day, it was the president's of the PAC twelve that overvalued their worth, that overvalued what television was going to pay for them. The time zone on the West Coast isn't as valuable as the time zone on the East Coast, and because of it, they kept saying, well, we're worth the same as the Big ten, going back to the days when you know, the PAC twelve would kind of dominate the Rose Bull and how in the world are we going to take less money than the Big ten. They turned down a deal just the year previous that would have been the equal of the Big twelve, and did so because of their ego. And I think therein lies the problem, not really an educated understanding of what the economics were in television, and the presidents need to be held accountable for that.
Speaker 1: All right, before we get to tonight, now will be where we end. I wonder what the Rick new Heis will take is on the new expanded twelve team CFP now that we're about to see it culminate with its final game tonight.
Speaker 11: I love it. I love that we've shared the wealth in terms of opportunity. I love that Boise State was in it. Never mind that they didn't win, they played a big time game if they don't turn the ball over, And how many football games can we say that about. I love that SMU in year one, taking no money from the ACC for television, got in. They proved that, you know, exciting football can be played by teams that were in the last year were in a group of five. That's wonderful stuff. Indiana is a wonderful story. We talk all the time about the Cinderellas of college basketball and what makes the college basketball tournament so fun. That's exactly what we see. And when the scores were insided, everybody said, well, it's we were wrong to do it. Look at the NFL playoffs in Week one, they were one sided except for the Commander Tampa game.
Speaker 13: It's just the way it is.
Speaker 11: It doesn't always turn out to be, you know, a final minute finish, but at the end of the day. It was fantastic. It will absolutely keep the parody and recruiting from sea to shining sea. People will know they can get to the playoffs from any portion of the country and that's great news for the game of college football.
Speaker 1: So we move over to tonight with two blue bloods, and I'm sure the power broke person.
Speaker 11: I'm here in Atlanta. I'm here in Atlanta, and you know, my mom and dad are from the Midwest. Their names are Dick and Jane. I was this close to being a name spot, but I am in with a bunch of Dicks in James from all over the Midwest. They brought the Midwestern weather to Atlanta. It's about twenty five degrees. They were having the time of their life. It's like I'm watching a group of people that are at the Elks Club having Friday night fish fry. It is the greatest thing. And I am enjoying these two brands getting ready to go to battle.
Speaker 1: I love it. Do you have a feel for which fan base will be better represented tonight.
Speaker 11: I'm going to guess Ohio State's going to be probably sixty forty in the majority. A lot of red jerseys around here, a lot of excitement about their first national championship since twenty fourteen. They have the opportunity to be the first in the CFP to win the championship and the first in the twelve team format to win the championship, which is wonderful. Notre Dame's trying to get their first championship since nineteen eighty eight when Doctor lou was their coach. We'll see if they can get that done. If they can get the game to the fourth quarter, they're in it. But I'm picking the Buckeye, all right.
Speaker 1: My friend will since you're there and you're busy, we will set you and I will say a very big thank you for not just your time today but your participation last week. It was fun to see you, Okay.
Speaker 2: It was a blast.
Speaker 11: Your dad was a blast as well. Please giving my best and college football fans enjoy the evening. It's a great night for the game. The game always delivered.
Speaker 1: Yes, it does. The great Rick new Heisel played high level quarterback when he was playing his college ball at UCLA. Spent a little bit of time in the pros as well, probably better known as a coach at a very high level where he won a Rose Bowl spent time coaching at Colorado, spent time coaching at you dub where he won his Rose Bowl, was with the Ravens for three years, then took over at UCLA, and now he's doing the broadcast thing with CBS. So we appreciate his time. And we have the College Football National Championship coming your way in about forty minutes from right now, so stay tuned, drive it five time. We are live today at the Warehouse. Come on, buy and say hi at eighteen twenty five South three hundred West if you have any questions. The deals are insane. They did not warn me about what they're doing. Couches, they've got mattresses. I just tried out a couple myself. They got bases and it's more than half off. I can't even describe all the deals that my guy, the Dallas, given you. So give them a call it eight oh one four six seven twenty two zero two. That's eight oh one four six seven two to two zero two. Or come by at eighteen twenty five South three hundred West here in downtown saw Lake City, Utah. We have the College Football National Championship game coming up in just about twenty five minutes. From right now, we'll do a little pregame style then you'll hear kickoff between Ohio State and Notre Dame. It is the final game of the college football season. Obviously, the line has moved this time the way of Notre Dame. About thirty minutes ago, Ohio State was a nine point favorite, and then last fifteen minutes it has moved the way of Notre Dame. Ohio State is now an eight point five point favorite to get this taken care of tonight. By the way, I want to tell you about my friends at Overtime Cards and Collectibles in Sandy one six to seven three South State Street. That is the best spot for all your football, basketball, hockey MMA at even Pokemon card collecting. With it being twenty twenty five, you can start a new fun hobby of collecting cards and there's no better spot to do that then Overtime Cards and Collectibles. Check them out online at Overtimecardsocollectibles dot Com where you can buy and trade. So we've had a really really fun show today. Of course, we started things off with some thoughts on the Utah men's basketball team taking care of BYU on Saturday night at the Huntsman Center. I was in the building. It felt like the late nineties. It did for the first time in a long long time from my perspective. Seventy three seventy two was the score. There is Greig Smith and is running youtes. They've won three straight Big twelve basketball games, and they find themselves at three and three in conference play, which is good enough for a virtual tie now with Baylor, TCU and UF BYU falls to two and four. BYU has not won a road game this year. BYU is oh and five in quad one opportunities BYU is ozho and four in games decided by five points or less. Kevin Young's got a lot of talent on that roster. He's got he's got a proof he can coach, and that's the bottom line. So I want to remind you that Utah's game against Houston has been moved. It was originally set for tomorrow, and now it's going to be played Wednesday afternoon at four o'clock at the number seven ranked team in the country that is Houston, and they're really good. So our show is going to be a little bit short on that Wednesday afternoon. But the College Football Playoff National Championship is upon us, presented by AT and T joining US. Now, I thought we bring our guys Shot O'Connell on the Great o C. You can hear me in the middays to break this thing down on a Monday shot overtime duty on Monday. Hopefully you're getting a time and a half.
Speaker 13: Yeah, yes, yes, for these twenty two minutes or whatever. Going to be charging the company tive and a half for sure, So.
Speaker 1: That doesn't surprise me. I know how you roll, So let's just right out of the gates. Can in your opinion, can the Fighting Irish make this a fair fight?
Speaker 13: Absolutely they can. I mean they didn't accidentally become the number two total defense in the country, the number two scoring defense in the country, and they got here because they've been able to get the offensive production necessary to get over some really, really good teams. Of course, that's also true of Ohio State, and the Fighting Irish have a tough test in front of them. If you go on paper, there's a reason that Ohio State by the end of my show, they were eight and a half point favorites. I don't know if the line has moved, but there's a reason for it still I think the Irish cover that and I think they have a good chance to win.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it actually moved up to nine at one point for Ohio State. In the last fifteen minutes has moved back towards the Irish, and Ohio State is an eight point five point favorite. And obviously Sean as you know, you know, Ohio States has been able to get out early on some really really good teams throughout the course of their run, you know, and if you're Notre Dame, you can't let this be a Tennessee or an Oregon track meet. Texas played them better, but there was a lot of self inflicted wounds on Ohio State's part. So how does in your estimation, how does Notre Dame stop Ohio State from starting the way they seem to have been able to start so far during this run.
Speaker 13: Well, this is the thing that I talked about a little bit on my show and Jeff Schwartz is a guest today and we talked about it. A reason he's skeptical of the Irish's ability to stop Ohio State because, just like Oregon, Notre Dame is a man defense team. In fact, they are the number one man defense team in the country. They played more man defense than anybody in all of college football, and obviously they've had good results with that so far. We've seen this watching Utah football for many years. Sometimes you do have to get away from quote unquote who you are in order to match up with incredibly athletic teams, in order to match up with the team that Scott I don't know, like three all American caliber wide receivers, whether they're going to be All Americans this year or in years to come, draft picks this year or in years to come. That's what Ohio State's got. I mean, we've seen that quoting personal at the Rose Bowl, and you've seen it on television of Ohio State even in New College Football playoffs. So I talked about it a lot on the show. If Notre Dames is not overly prideful and can say, you know what, we need to be able to integrate some zone concepts, We need to manufacture some pressures here, and we need to not leave our guys who've been so good on an island, but not leave them on an island against this wide receiver group. Then you've got a chance of confusing Will Howard, who's more prone to turnovers than people really give it credit for, and that would be an opportunity to win this game. If you lose the turnover margin, Ohio State's going to be here. You give them short fields, Ohio State's going to be here. If you give them huge chunks play and you let the freshman get out to you know, one hundred and fifteen hundred and one hundred and fifty yard game, then you're in big trouble. So that you've got to integrate some disguised coverages where it looks like you're giving them the man looks that they're a custom to seeing, and you're dropping people into his ownes and hopefully getting underneath the ball and maybe forcing an interception or a turnover some.
Speaker 2: Of the way.
Speaker 1: Ohio State Notre Dame about twenty minutes away from first kick from Mercedes Benz Stadium in Atlanta, Georgia. Game time weather is twenty five degrees. We had Rick neuheislan earlier who's down on site. He said, the crowd at this point is about sixty percent Ohio State forty percent. Note or Dame. I mean, these are two big time brands in college football. The Ohio State Buckeyes have not won a national championship in a decade. Notre Dame is looking for their first national championship in thirty six years. Let's talk about the dynamic of playing this game show on Monday night as opposed to trying to go head to head with the NFL. And I'm not trying to call out any of our peers in sports media, college football media, but the same people that seem to complain about the dynamic of trying to go head to head against pro football now complaining that this game is being played on Monday night. What do you think of the dynamic? And you think college football should just try to go head to head against the NFL.
Speaker 13: I absolutely do not think you should go to try to go head to head against the NFL. Nobody's won that battle in American sports broadcasting, and at least the last twenty years, maybe going further back before I was really paying close attention to it. No, this is a great place for to be. You're after the divisional weekend in the NFL playoffs, and you've got Monday nights to yourself. I mean, Saturday night was a very very crowded sports calendar. You had NFL playoff games, You had a big UFC fight, you had a college basketball rival game, and at least one state to this one, right, So why try and go up against programming like that? Why don't ever try to go toe to toe with Roger Goodell?
Speaker 2: Carve out a little.
Speaker 13: Niche for yourself. Make it the same day every calendar year so that people can pencil it in and they know when it's going to be. And I don't know why people are worried about it. I suppose it's new territory for some college football players, but it's not like you're asking them to play on a Thursday or play on a Saturday and then turn around on short notice and play on the following Monday. You're giving them a couple extra days of preparations. So I've got no problem with the place this game is that. I actually think it's the perfect one. Caps off a wonderful weekend of football competition at the very very highest level, and it steers clear of the AFC NFC championship matchups and of course the Super Bowl, which you would never want to push the college season that late. And also you would never want to go up against anything like that.
Speaker 1: So the last time Notre Dame. One championship was nineteen eighty eight, they beat West Virginia and since then it's been a ride. It's been an up and down ride. Fighting Irish have averaged an AP top five finish about every six years. They almost won it in ninety three. They played in the BCS championship game in twenty twelve and in the CFP in twenty eighteen in twenty twenty, but they lost their three semi final or title games in the twenty tens by an average score of thirty four to seven. They have been smoked in big games historically speaking. I know you said that you think they can make it a fair fight, and you kind of outline some reasons. Why let me ask you what you think is going to happen Sean, because most people really seem to be heavy on the Buckeyes even with this big line.
Speaker 13: Look, I think that ultimately Ohio State that my head says, Ohio State prepat with this game. My heart says, keep pushing for the Irish. I do think it's gonna be closer than a lot of people think. Marcus Free deserves credit for being the guy. There's been a lot of great coaches at Notre Day, and he is the guy who has got him to this place, got him over those semi final humps, got him into that. You know, the VCS or New Year six games, they lost like ten in a row and then finally shook that monthly off their back. Because of the culture he is instilled, because of the energy that he brings, because of the schematic adjustments that he is willing to make, and of course because of the players that he has brought in in this nil era, He's fully leveraging the status of Notre Dame and that university and that football community and what it actually means to be a member of the Fighting Irish. He's leveraged that to this level of success. Ohio State was a team that five weeks ago we were talking about being maybe the third best in their own conference. It's not like they're invulnerable. What Michigan did to them can be done again. Of course, what Northern Illinois did to the Fighting Irish could also be done again. So I think that I'm still gonna ride with the Fighting Irish. I'm going to say it's an overtime victory and then we're all happy. And this expanded college football playoffs. These twelve teams end in an epic instant classic games and everyone feels vindicated that this expanded format was a long time coming, and we find the guy.
Speaker 1: Let's go to Ryan Day, because a lot of attention on this Wonderkins rising star, and deservedly so, Marcus Freeman. At the age of thirty nine, Ryan Day is about to finish his sixth season in Columbus and this will be another top four finish, which makes it for his six year. Win percentage is better than Jim Tressel's and its average SP plus percentage rating is better than Urban Meyers. But yet there seems to be this undercurrent of Ohio State fans that are still wondering whether or not this is the guy. Is that just a commentary on the lunacy of Buckeye football fans because they are so invested and involved, or are there legitimate things to criticize Ryan Day for besides losing to Michigan four times in a row.
Speaker 13: Okay, so there's just something when you look at the guy that's probably the excessively died just for men pitch black Beard that speaks the sub level of insecurity. And I think that people don't like that in a head coach. And look, there's this is actually something that we kind of joked about on my show with Weddell because I asked, if you know Brian Dave's the Bible head coach at the NFL level. He said, absolutely not. There's just something about that guy. He's not a leader of men. There's something you look at him and you just know that he can't master that kind of a locker room, right, And I kind of laughed about it, but then you know, I'll talk with him more off air about what he means. And he cited I think he actually sided on there too, but he cited the brawl, the flag, the flag planting situation, the fight that happened after the rivalry game, and how inactive and how passive he was, and how he didn't do anything the discipline his team or to get him out of there or to show leadership in that moment. And that might mean something, but at the end of the day, he's a great schematic mind and he's somebody that has his team in the position to win a national championship tonight. So any criticisms you have, you're really really midfiicted and you're really splitting hairs.
Speaker 1: I know you've talked about this on your show. For our listeners, tune into Sean show midday on the station eleven to two does a great, great job, but I wanted to kind of bring your thoughts on the twelve team expanded CFP onto the afternoon drive space for listeners who haven't heard it now that it's about to culminate in a national championship game tonight. You like it, you don't like it? Adjustments, What are your thoughts?
Speaker 13: I really like it quite a bit. I think it's the ratings have proved that it has helped college football as a whole, not just the CFP and its games, but even the other bowl games got better ratings because everyone stays invested, stays involved, stays emotionally and intellectually dialed in the college football season, which is I mean, that's important. The whole country being involved instead of just the SEC or just a big ten is what college football is all about. I think the adjustment that needs to be made, and obviously will be made in very short order, is that the seating is just going to be, you know, one through twelve, the highest ranked teams, regardless of who wins a conference championship that automatic first round by for Boise State, for Arizona State. It's probably going to be a thing of the past, maybe even assume as twenty twenty five. But look, I would go for sixteen teams in this state. I could see it being a carbon copy of SDS playoffs sooner than later, because we have seen the money that comes with this, more people involved, more television setcom more revenue for everyone. And that's what these teams need right now. Because the nil era is not going away. It's more expensive to feel the competitive team than it ever was.
Speaker 1: Well said Sean, before I say you lose what comes our listener's way on eleven to two The Sean o'caddo Show coming up tomorrow on a Tuesday.
Speaker 13: Well, look, we're gonna do a lot of reaction to this national championship game. Obviously, we're going to take a deeper look at these AFC and NFC championship games that are coming, a little bit of utes basketball. We're just gonna have some fun on a Tuesday, and then we'll see what happens.
Speaker 1: All right, my friend, great to see. I'll see in studio tomorrow. Okay, all right, have a good one. Sean o'conn eleven to two every day on the station. Definitely check him out doing a really really good job play college ball ground here at University of Utah. And obviously a prize fighter mixed martial arts won a million dollar prize belt, and of course Bill left us for the University of Utah. He's not dead, he's still alive. He just went to the Utes. And so Sean took over his midday slot from eleven to two. Live today here at the warehouse at eighteen twenty five South three hundred West. A bunch of great deals on mattresses, bases, sofas, chairs, So do not go to one of the name brand stores and pay top dollar like your boy did. Come on by here at eighteen twenty five South three hundred West. Give him a call at eight O one four six seven two two Porter Larson, young man, what's your head tell you? Whats your heart tell you about this college football National Championship game that kicks off in the team minus nine minutes?
Speaker 4: Yeah, man, Well, luckily we had a Notre Dame Faithful on the show to kind of give you the low down. And Shawn's right, this is a game that Ohio State should win, just based on the team that they have, the roster that they employ. I think that the main matchup that it'll post problems is on the outside, and that is not a hot take. Ohio State has the best wide receivers in the country by a large margin. That is the case, well several years. It seems to be the case. So if Notre Dame comes out and plays their man coverage and does their usual thing, I think it's going to be a real uphill battle for them trying to keep it close, trying to keep Ohio State from breaking it open. If they have something else in the work spence, if they have a wrinkle that they can throw at Ohio State and get that defense playing on their toes rather than their heels, I think Notre Dame has a chance, But it's gonna have to be in that recipe and it's gonna have to be a lower scoring game. Then we may we may be looking forward to so my head says Ohio State. But I do think if Notre Dame has any any sort of a wrinkle something you don't expect, that they can throw it to Ohio State. I think they got a shot at it, and I think they're the team that kind of is coming into this game with more momentum and more of a feeling of a national champion, although Ohio State is clearly the better roster.
Speaker 1: As the NBA does every year, they celebrated Martin Luther King Junior Day with a bevy of NBA action that's already in the books. The Jazz have not started their game that yet, though. There are two NBA games left Jazz and the Pelicans and then it's the Bulls and the Clippers. Utah Hockey Club welcomes in Winnipeg tonight BYU Basketball and action against Colorado tomorrow. Utah basketball has been moved, by the way, in case you missed that, from tomorrow to Wednesday, so Utah is on the road to take on Houston. Chicago Bears officially hired Ben Johnson today as their new head coach. That news came down a couple of hours ago, and it looks like it is official. So Caleb Williams gets a very bright offensive mind to hopefully usher him into a more successful sophomore campaign. All right, Porta, before we turn it over to the official coverage of the college football national Championship game presented by AT and T. Let's get a sponsor out there, Ohio State, Notre Dame comes your way? Next, what comes our listeners way? On a Tuesday edition of the show.
Speaker 4: On a Tuesday edition of The Drive, of course, will react to the college football National Championship.
Speaker 3: What you hear right here?
Speaker 4: We'll do all of that with Matt Brown, of course, of X points, we'll do it with Mike Sandford, junior, former college coach and guy with ties here locally, we'll do it with Roxy Bernstein. Maybe a little hoops talk with Roxy as well, of course, as he was on site for Utah and BYU. But on a Tuesday after the national title, we got to talk a little football with Roxy as well. And then after all that college football talk, Spence, we're gonna we're gonna switch gears a little bit. I've reached out to our friends at Wise guys and let them know. Anytime you got comedians rolling through, let's get him on the show. Let's get him on with Spence and Jim Jefferies is coming by next month.
Speaker 3: But he's gonna stop by the show tomorrow.
Speaker 1: Hell, yes, that'll be fun. As you know, I'm a big fan of stand up comedy and Jim's a very funny look forward to meeting him and we'll say goodnight for a Monday show. Special thank you Spencer Hall, Tom Haberstrow, Josh Burlong, Scott Mitchell and Rick new Heisel and of course the great Sean O'Connell. If you miss any of the sound from the show today, check out the website. It's ESPN seven hundred sports dot com. Download our mobile app and take us on the go. ESPN sundred app is available in the App Store, Google Play Store for free. And then, finally, for what we do in our space every afternoon for four hours, we would appreciate your support on our podcast page wherever you get your shows, we're there. It's called The Drive with Spence Check. Its that's available wherever you get your show. Subscribe, rate reviews, saying us things in the comments some of you have been mean lately, and give us nice reviews all the stars if you possibly can. Special thank you to our friends here at the warehouse, my Guy Bedell and Tom Curl, the owner eighteen twenty five South three hundred West for Porter Cynthia my on side Tech. I'm Spence Check and saying I enjoy your Monday evening. The College Football National Championship Game presented by AT and T is next. It's Ohio State, Notre Dame. Talk to you tomorrow right here on ESPN seven hundred old