Speaker 1: In nineteen thirty eight composer, guitarist, artist Mason Douglas Williams from Abilene, Texas to the world. Here's a little classical gas. L Mason Douglass Wills Williams rather is a musician, composer, songwriter, writer, poet, photographer won a Grammy for this classical gas back in nineteen sixty eight.
Speaker 2: He is eighty six years old.
Speaker 1: As we wake up on this Saturday morning, August twenty fourth, twenty twenty four, I'm Gary Jeff Walker. Before we look ahead and look back at significant events and people tied to this particular date in history, including but not limited to these. On this day in eighteen fourteen, during our War of eighteen twelve, the British set fire to the still under construction Capitol in the White House and other public buildings. Still smarting from that revolutionary SmackDown, we gave him a few years before I guess this date. Nineteen twelve, Congress passed measure creating the Alaska Territory. Amelia Earhart, before she got lost, embarked on a nineteen hour flight from la to Newark, New Jersey, making her the first woman to fly solo NonStop from coast to coast.
Speaker 2: The year was nineteen thirty two.
Speaker 1: Nineteen forty nine, the North Atlantic Treaty came into force NATO. Five years later, President Dwight Eisenhower signed the Communist Control Act, outlawing the Communist Party in the United States. Looks like President Trump may have to do that again, if we're lucky enough to have him as our forty seventh president. Here in a couple of months, Mark David Chapman sentenced to New York to twenty years to live in prison for murdering John Lennon on this date in nineteen eighty one. Nineteen eighty nine, Baseball Commissioner A. Bartlett Giamatti baned Pete Rose from the game of baseball for betting on his own team, the Cincinnati Reds. Let's see anything else. There's a bunch of stuff going on here. The family of John McCain announced he was a discontinuing medical treatment for an aggressive form of brain cancer in this state in twenty eighteen. He died the next day, twenty nine. Let's see anything else birthdays Mason Williams. He mentioned Marshall Thompson, who was in the shylights out of Chicago's eighty two. Today, WWE co founder Vince McMahon turned seventy nine, and Archer the Actress is seventy seven. Alexander McCall smith composer, Jean Michel, Jarre Jarrah, It's seventy six. Orson Scott Card, Let's see Kevin Dunn, former Arkansas governor, political commentator and Relaxium sleep pitch man. Mike Huckabee is sixty nine today. Actor writer Stephen Fry Stephen Gutenberg has a birthday today. Baseball Hall of Famer Cal Ripken Junior is sixty four, Marlee Martin fifty nine. Baseball Hall of Famer or Basketball Hall of Famer Reggie Miller is fifty nine. It seems like years ago that Reggie Miller played in the NBA, and I guess it was, but only fifty nine.
Speaker 2: That's enough. Listen.
Speaker 1: Oh, Dave Chappelle's birthday today. Funny Man fifty one. Heavy birthday, Dave Chappelle. If it is your birthday, I hope it is the best day possible and you get to spend it doing the things you love with people that you love to be around. And that is truly my for you. We have sports and a check on the weather. In just moments or two, Mama Tree is already in the queue. Dick from Dayton will be here before the top of the hour. This is the Saturday morning edition on seven hundred WLW.
Speaker 3: This morning at nine, Mike Allen goes where other hosts dare not tread and on not talking about the men's room on seven hundred WLW, Ohio.
Speaker 2: Ready for some quick mental health facts.
Speaker 1: Let's just me caught me in the middle of breakfast. Your forecast hot and humid, little to no rain. I mean for days and days, mostly Sunday today, a high in your ninety mostly clear overnight. Tomorrow morning's low sixty seven for Sunday, sun and clouds, a chance for some pop up showers and storms.
Speaker 2: Again, this is not going to be the relief we need, but enjoy the heat.
Speaker 4: Seven hundred WLW Sports, fresh off of his inaugural broadcast of the Danville Admirals is at the correct term.
Speaker 5: Liam eleven time state champion Danville Admirals correct.
Speaker 1: On a station called whir Liam, was you know my first radio station, Liam? My first pay job was at a station called WHIN in Gallatin, Tennessee. So you're on whir and I think the call letters play a vital role in the rest of your career. So one day, some forty years from now, you'll be sitting here talking to another breaking in kind of young producer on a Saturday morning show, wondering where the hell the time went?
Speaker 2: Can't you wait for that? Forty years? Yeah? Forty years? Who I know. It's hard to even comprehend, isn't it.
Speaker 1: It's hard to It's hard to comprehend how the Reds can get within a couple of games of five hundred, then go and display some offense north of the border and come back to play the flailing Pittsburgh Pirates who were in a tail spin of all tail spins, and get drubbed two games in a row like they did last night.
Speaker 5: Wednesday night, you're down six to nothing, you come back score eleven straight amazing to win the game. And last night the opposite happened. The Reds were up five to nothing going into the fifth inning, and they were down down one going into the seventh inning, and they weren't able to get another run across. The Reds fell to the Pirates six to five. They moved to sixty two and sixty seven on the year. They're now seven and a half games out of a wild card spot and just a half a game above the Pirates for last place in the division. Cincinnati plays game three of the team's four game set versus the Pirates this evening. Jake Woodford takes a mount for the Pirates, and most likely Julian Aguilar will pitch for the Reds. Inside pitch begins at five to forty. First pitch e set for six to forty. Catch all Tonight's action on the home of the Reds seven hundred WLW.
Speaker 1: Preseason fake football is over officially, the Bengals now pointing toward the regular season home oh, the start against the New England Patriots at pay Corpse Stadium, which is coming up in a couple of weeks.
Speaker 2: What do you think?
Speaker 5: Yeah, well, final cutdown day is Tuesday, and the Bengals made some cuts. Early cuts included the set, including the former second round pick Jackson Carmen, which there's a lot of question marks around him going into camp and I guess his performance at camp did not get the job done.
Speaker 1: Yeah, what about what about James Burton? That guy has just really impressed during the preseason yeah, Jermaine Burton.
Speaker 5: I mean, he's having twenty yards of catch nearly and his stats are amazing. But there's been a lot of questions about Supposedly, during the broadcast on Amazon, they said he slept during meetings. I don't know if they meant about in college, because there was always character concerns about him and his postgame comments. He was talking about how he needs to be better for the team. I was plays don't really matter. So it's kind of interesting to see how he views himself and he'll be viewed on the roster because there's a lot of talent in the wide receiver room and he is a very talented player.
Speaker 1: But well, you know, if Jamar wants to continue this nonsense, I think Jermaine Burton is is a great He's not gonna take up his slack. But it's nice to have another tool in the toolbox, you know what I mean?
Speaker 5: Oh yeah, definitely. The talent's there. You can never have too much talent. What have we got on the FC Cincinnati front brother The Orange and Blue travel to Florida to night to take on the Eastern Conference leader enter Miami. Kickoff is set for seven thirty five pregame cover begins at seven. You can listen that game live on ESPN fifteen thirty and a couple quick high school scores. East Central defeated Lawrenceburg twenty four to three. Last night, Bishop Brosser handled w Verona thirty one to six, and Cooper beat Bardstown thirty six to six.
Speaker 2: What about Danville?
Speaker 5: Danville lost to East Jessamon and the RJ. Corman Bowl where they did the game ball delivery and a helicopter thirty four to seven.
Speaker 2: My god, I thought they were good down in Danville. What happened?
Speaker 5: They went winless last season?
Speaker 2: Oh? Okay, Well, maybe with you as the new voice of the Admirals, they will they will rEFInd their lost glory five forty seven. It's seven hundred WLW. Mame Tree is next.
Speaker 4: Your tune to news Radio seven hundred W l W.
Speaker 2: Garry Jeff on the Saturday morning edition and Mamme Tree on the line.
Speaker 1: Good morning, mammetry morning loud. What's going on? How are you feeling? How's your jaw?
Speaker 6: Let me sing?
Speaker 7: First?
Speaker 2: Okay, God, he.
Speaker 6: May he has led me free.
Speaker 4: Oh god.
Speaker 6: My, he's so good to me, Amy Grace, how sweet?
Speaker 8: So fund?
Speaker 9: Let's say the rich rich like me.
Speaker 10: Oh I want I was fur lost, but now down was the lye burn.
Speaker 2: Now I see amen phrase Jesus. Oh right, So tell me about uh how you feeling.
Speaker 6: Well, it's a long story. I didn't get it done, but I still got the stickies from the seventh. The supposta dropped out on the tenth.
Speaker 2: What what's that up there?
Speaker 6: I told them, if I don't get the surgeon, I should have had last time, I'm walking. Well they kept on and the second time I asked them again. This time they took me into the room. I said, who am I gonna get?
Speaker 11: You?
Speaker 6: Take what we get? Get in a chair? Oh? Man, I said, Am I gonna get the woman or a man? I first got a man? Last time I got a woman.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 6: He didn't take the bone out. She started on the left when she's supposed to started on the right. She assured me she take the bone out first, like the surgeon said. She said, in a minute. In a minute. Well, I got up there about five up to nine, and I said, go tell her I have a nine o'clock. Got up there. They said, you're next. Well, they cleared Dolphice. Once they cleared Dolphice, t hey, I'm still sitting now, huh. And a white man come out the door puss and said he come out at eleven Ti. I had a nine o'clock. I thought, well, I did twodren. I'm still sitting there. They done empty dollphars twice, so fie me at eleven thirty. I said this, give me in my papers, card funch yall. Window said they're a little longer. Give me in my papers. I want to go home. Still window. Third time they took me in. It's twelve o'clock. The woman come in at three. They showed me at twelve i'd be home. But you yeah, I didn't come in the three. I said that you got You're supposed to start here, ma'am.
Speaker 11: You're right.
Speaker 1: It is a long story, Lynette. I mean, mamme try, it's a long story. I'm running out of time here.
Speaker 6: Give me my paper? Is my uh?
Speaker 11: I say?
Speaker 6: Now I'm going to Kentucky and get it done. It's hateful. College people said, you ain't get enough. This is our stuff.
Speaker 1: Oh my god. Yeah, we need we need another. We need a whole nother show to get this whole story. Baby, I gotta go. I love you, but I gotta go.
Speaker 2: Do my god. Summer was fun. It was great, wasn't it. But it's time to get your own fresh and clean from.
Speaker 12: Welcome to the weekend and a bit more heat here in the Tri State. Temperatures start in the mid sixties and warm to eighty nine ninety ish for this afternoon. This guy will be mostly sunny and humidity slowly but surely rising tonight down to only sixty eight, so warm, and then your Sunday forecast will be partly clowny with a high of ninety two, again a little bit more human where you'll feel it's sticky outside from your severe weather station.
Speaker 2: I'm nine.
Speaker 12: First warning meteorologis Jenifer Ketchmark News Radio seven hundred WLW.
Speaker 10: Right now with sixty degrees and our next update is at six thirty.
Speaker 2: I'm Whitney Harris News Radio seven hundred WALLW.
Speaker 4: News twenty four hours a day. For News of Radio seven hundred WLW. Jeff Weilerhonda dot Com.
Speaker 1: Just a note to our news department. Robert Kennedy f J Robert F. Kennedy Junior endorsed President Trump or former President or Donald Trump, not Trump just yet.
Speaker 2: Welcome to the first official hour of the Saturday Morning Edition for this Saturday Morning, August twenty fourth, twenty twenty four. I'm Gary Jeff Walker. It's great to be with you.
Speaker 1: And we're a little bit late for picking and grinning with Dick, so let's get.
Speaker 2: Right to it. Good morning, Dick, Good morning Gary, Giff. I'm late today now, I'm not late. Lynette was a little bit talkative. So so you know what You've you ever slept before?
Speaker 13: Right?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I've overslept before, Okay, So do you forgive me?
Speaker 6: Yeah?
Speaker 7: Got forgive you.
Speaker 2: What's going on?
Speaker 1: Dave from Dayton wants to know how many games the Bengals are gonna win this year. Seventeen game season ready to start in two weeks against the New England Patriots. Las Vegas has the Bengals at ten point five over under. So do you think the Bengals will win more than ten and a half games or less than ten and a half games?
Speaker 7: They're going to win eleven games this year?
Speaker 1: Eleven games, Dave from Dayton, mark that down. If you're listening. Dave says he's going to go to the sportsbook and if the Bengals win at least eleven games, Dick, what you and I each get one hundred dollars?
Speaker 8: Oh?
Speaker 2: Right, how about that?
Speaker 7: That's good.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it'd be two years in a row.
Speaker 7: Two years in the row, buddy.
Speaker 2: So what else is going on? Real quick?
Speaker 7: Oh? I just wanted to tell you congratulate. I've been thirty eight years in the band and the number, spent a couple more concerts. And I start class Monday. I'm taking a It's an accounting class manageriald County. I go two days a week.
Speaker 1: So I'm well, do you know what, Dick, whether school is in or not. I've always said this about you. Dick has class, Yes.
Speaker 2: And you do.
Speaker 1: And I just couldn't be more happy to be with you in good luck and all your educational endeavors that are just about to start.
Speaker 2: But I think you already have class, Dick.
Speaker 7: Thank you.
Speaker 2: You're not a classist, Dick.
Speaker 7: I don't need to come down. Tell Dave.
Speaker 2: He's hearing us. Whenever we can arrange it. You come on down and bring that mandolin and you're whatever, you got, your banjo, your yuke.
Speaker 7: Say good night, Dick, you pared Jeff.
Speaker 14: It was midnight on the ocean. Not a street car was in sight. The sun was shining brightly in the middle of the night. A barefoot boy with shoes on stood that's sitting in the tree. And when I put my glasses on, I heard this.
Speaker 2: Melody exactly a doctor baby. He's somebody's mother. And Dave from Harrison, maybe the best dad joke teller of all time, and here he is. Good morning, Dave, Good morning, good Jeff. How's an Haye in this morn? That's a rather personal question. Let's move on.
Speaker 1: You're out in the campground. You were out in the campground this weekend, and it is your lovely wife, Kathy's birthday weekend.
Speaker 2: See in fact, today today is her birthday? Right today?
Speaker 13: Is that?
Speaker 2: Well, congratulations to Kathy.
Speaker 13: I'll tell her when she let's gets out of her beauty rest garag Jeff.
Speaker 2: So she's still in the teepee in the wigwam.
Speaker 15: Yeah, yeah, unfortunately, but yeah, it's not an early riser.
Speaker 1: Well, you know what, here's the thing, it's her birthday. She can sleep as late as she wants to, and if it's her party, she can cry if she wants to cry, if she wants to.
Speaker 2: You would cry too if it happened to you. Dave, all right, yeah, yeah, hello, hello, yeah.
Speaker 15: Yeah kind of insect is hard to understand?
Speaker 2: What kind of insect is hard to understand?
Speaker 16: Dave?
Speaker 2: Uh oh, that's terrible. A mumblebee? What else you got?
Speaker 11: What are you call an insect that complains all about I don't know, grumblebee, grumbled bee. Let's leave us with.
Speaker 13: Why were the deer, the chipmunk, and the squirrel laughing so hard?
Speaker 2: Why were the deer, the chipmunk, and the squirrel laughing so hard? Dave?
Speaker 15: Because the owl was a hoot.
Speaker 17: Jokes told by Dave from Harrison are not necessarily considered funny by the staff, management, or advertisers of seven hundred WLW or his par company, iHeartMedia. If these attempts at humor have caused you to roll your eyes, made your stomach churn, or you have considered the entire exercise to be a colossal waste of time, we deeply apologize. Now back to our irregular programming.
Speaker 4: He's gonna take him to the house to mark Chase hot sixty.
Speaker 2: The twenty twenty board Cincinnati Bengals cho.
Speaker 4: Burrow with his third touchdown that he caught it in the walks, spun around and chumped into the.
Speaker 18: Sl The Bengals play on seven hundred ww be down touchdown of the best Bengals.
Speaker 12: Advanced Dentistry, the judgment free Dental Experience, No Fear Dentist dot Com.
Speaker 19: And now another insurance story from smart Bunny.
Speaker 12: Smart Bunny, why is it raining inside?
Speaker 2: It's not raining?
Speaker 10: Our upstairs neighbor tried to fix on, saying it didn't go well. Now his broken pipes are flooding our apartment.
Speaker 2: Oh so we're just out of luck.
Speaker 20: Nah.
Speaker 10: I got a sprinter's insurance from smart Bunny when we moved in. I downloaded the smart Bunny app and got coverage in just sixty seconds.
Speaker 2: It was that easy, seamless, and I guess we're lucky to have it. Seems more smart than lucky.
Speaker 10: Well, I didn't want to toot my own horn.
Speaker 2: Your horn is underwater anyway.
Speaker 19: Get up to one hundred thousand dollars a personal liability coverage and up to forty thousand dollars of contents insurance with only a two hundred and fifty dollars deductible for as low as fifteen dollars a month. Hop on the smart Bunny app now and grab some renters insurance.
Speaker 2: Oh look, the ceiling is collapse.
Speaker 19: Say we're covered Smart Bunny Insurance.
Speaker 2: Smart Bunny, Smart Bunny your insurance.
Speaker 19: Super app Insurance is sold by Smartuny Insurance Services and undwritten by various companies.
Speaker 2: Coverage exclusion and in thementations may apply. The amenity going up, up up this weekend.
Speaker 1: Lots of sunshine today, a high round ninety clear overnight. We'll only get down to like sixty seven sixty eight degrees tomorrow morning. Starting Sunday with sun and ou to high near ninety again. They're just the slightest chance for a pop up shower storm, but you can almost throw it out.
Speaker 2: Sun and clouds back on Monday. No rain, little to no rain for days. I had to come.
Speaker 1: It is sixty one at seven hundred WLW.
Speaker 14: Rain and you see lack of friend.
Speaker 2: That's what I'm saying. Seven hundred w LW.
Speaker 1: The haunting strains of Charlie dor from somewhere in the deep, dark, distant past. Here's our own pilot of the airwaves, Rick Washburn, Good Morning Old Radio.
Speaker 15: Rick, Good morning Gary, Jeff. I am confused. Wasn't that a song from somebody else, some interesting redo, or was that.
Speaker 1: Charlie Door was the original artist on Pilot of the Airwaves.
Speaker 15: Okay, who redid it?
Speaker 6: Then?
Speaker 2: I have no idea, it's not important. That was the hit. That was the hit? That was it?
Speaker 15: Oh that's fantastic.
Speaker 11: Yeah.
Speaker 15: Just remind me when I worked a car dealership many years ago and they were playing Turn the Page by Bob Seeker on the radio as we who what old guy redid that Metolka song?
Speaker 2: It's like, no, yeah, you know what. You deal with kids and you got to use kid gloves. So anyway, how are you receiving this this morning? What are you receiving us on? And tell me all about the device if you will, sir.
Speaker 15: I love this thing. This is from nineteen forty seven. It is a Sears Silver Tone model seven oh eighty five and it is bringing in WLW five by five this morning. This is an eight tube AM radio with a seven eight rpm phonograph and a wire recorder.
Speaker 2: A wire recorder.
Speaker 15: Yes, it's similar to a reel to reel tape deck, but instead of using magnetic tape, it uses a roll of steel wire.
Speaker 1: Now, these were prominent. These were prominent earlier on forty seven. Kind of hadn't we really established the reel to reel as the format to record things by nineteen forty seven.
Speaker 15: Forty seven and forty eight were kind of the years where both were out. The wire recorder did come first, and then when somebody designed the tape, the magnetic tape it it was an improvement in many ways, but it also had some issues, like the quality of the tape at the time because good plastic wasn't available. A lot of the tape was actually paper based. Oddly enough. Yeah, and whereas the wire was it had a it had a much better fidelity to it. Actually, it does have a very crisp, clean sound. However, it's very difficult to use excuse me, because the head that read that records and plays back the sound is like a sewing machine bobbin winder. It goes up and down to wind the wire easily. So the wire is very thin and it has to be wound evenly otherwise it gets tangled up much. You've been through the world of splicing blocks and spicing tape unreeled real tape. Well, the with the with the wire recorder is much easier. You just tie a square knot.
Speaker 1: It wasn't it seems to me like I recall that the Hindenberg disaster was actually recorded on a wire recorder and.
Speaker 15: Not absolutely correct. Yes, yeah, in a in a portable wire recorder that only took three suitcases weighing a total of one eighty five pounds, if memory serve well at least. Yeah, Well, it was actually one of the very first times that somebody had gone out in the field to record a live you know, play by play on actual news events that they could then take back to the radio station. You're exactly right. Yeah, so it proved the idea that they could go back and play it again. But yeah, the equipment wasn't really that practical.
Speaker 1: So tell me, do you got anything else to say about this lovely serious silvertone radio that you're listening on this morning?
Speaker 15: Or Goldberg would have been proud of this, because you've got the radio on one side. It's a it's a table top model, but it's huge, and the top lifts up like you would expect, like a record player would do. But the thing is you can put the wire on the spindle and thread it, and the take up reel for the wire recorder is also the platter that you would put the record on, So You could record a record onto wire if you want to, but you've got to wind the wire first, okay, and possibly a throwback to your history depending excuse me if you've ever used a magnet quarter real to real tape, Dick safety goggles were requirement. The wire recorder pretty much the same thing. If you're not careful, you're either gonna lose an eye or lose a finger.
Speaker 1: Well, you know, all in preserving something for posterity, I guess you have to. You have to make sacrifices. Right close, kid, This recording cost me my left eye, but it's gorgeous.
Speaker 13: Uh.
Speaker 1: You want to get in touch with mister Washburn, you can check him out at Old Radio Rick at gmail dot com.
Speaker 3: Overheard at the latest Gottsloane Fanglub meeting.
Speaker 8: Next item, getting slowly on a commemorative stamp.
Speaker 2: GINO, what did the post office say? They gave me this form to fill out, but under accomplishments? I wasn't sure what to put. Just write down that he's amazing and that he's hysterical. He brings people together and that's smart.
Speaker 10: You definitely want to say that he's down to earth.
Speaker 2: Did he go to the moon as an astron. If he did, that would really help his chances.
Speaker 21: Yes he did.
Speaker 3: Scott's Loan Monday morning to nine and catch his podcast on the free iHeartRadio.
Speaker 22: Ad Home values in Cincinnati are sky high and you have a ton of equity. Your financial advisor thinks to market has peaked, so you're thinking about selling. It's time except for two things. High interest rates will burn you on a new home loan and you're not ready to move. Semi financial investor suggests Truehold's new sell and stay program. It's ingenious because they buy your home now while the value is high, but you stay in your home as long as you want with an easy, affordable lease. Sounds smart right. Truehold will make you a solid cash offer, not a low ball offer like others. It's based on your home's current value. The cash is yours to travel, payoff bills, secure retirement, whatever you want, and again, you can stay in your home with a comfortable lease.
Speaker 2: True Hold covers property taxes, insurance and maintenance.
Speaker 22: See how much truehold will pay for your home today called eight five five three hundred ninety nine ninety three, or visit truehold dot com. A smarter, faster way to cash out your home's value without moving.
Speaker 2: That's true. Hold dot com still.
Speaker 23: Miss Our twenty twenty four iHeartRadio Music.
Speaker 12: Festival pre ninety ish for this afternoon. This sky will be mostly sunny and humidity slowly but shirly rising tonight down to only sixty eight, so warm. And then your Sunday forecast will be partly clowny with a high of ninety two again a little bit more human where you'll feel it's sticky outside. That's the forecast. I'm nine First Warning Media Ronald Just Jefifer, Ketchmark seven one hundred WLW Sports.
Speaker 2: It's high school football on fire, Go ahead, Liam.
Speaker 11: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Pleasant Ridge Park was shut out by Taft High School forty three to nothing. Last night. Dayton, Kentucky defeated Gallatinkintown, Gallatin County twenty four for fourteen, coach herbs Getz's first win of the year. Newport defeats Carroll County thirty six to fourteen.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Highlands tops Lexington Catholic seventeen to seven. Big win for the Bluebirds in the state of Kentucky. Holy Cross is shut out by Sayer forty nine to nothing. Former NFL quarterback Chad Pennington as a coach on the Sayers staff. Connor High School tops Paul Lawrence Dunbar Dunbar High School forty two to fifteen. Schroeder High School destroys Norwood forty six to sixteen. Ryle scores sixteen unanswered in the second half to defeat Covington Catholic thirty to fourteen. Reading Home of the Fighting, Tony Pike shuts out Woodward thirty three to nothing. Mohler tops Princeton thirty eight to twenty one in what some saw as the game of the night last night.
Speaker 1: All Right, the Reds lose in Pittsburgh, second night in a row, six to five. The comeback falls short, and we got game three of that set today.
Speaker 5: Yeah, Game three of the four tonight versus the Pirates. Jake Woodford takes the mound for the Pirates and most likely Julian Aguilar takes the mound for the Reds. Inside pitch begins at five point forty. First pitch is set for six forty. Catch all tonight's action on the Home of the Red seven hundred WLW.
Speaker 12: Here's What's trending from the Iheartsports Network, presented by DraftKings Fantasy.
Speaker 9: Sports after being taken off the field with a stretcher on Thursday. Bears defensive back Douglas Coleman the Third is now out of the hospital and will be traveling back home after staying overnight.
Speaker 2: The Red's bullpen failed to hold on to their lead as the.
Speaker 9: Firrates take the second straight game of their series and the Bengals begin their task of reaching the fifty three man roster with eleven cuts on Friday, including the release of UFL star wideout Hacke Butler. I'm Jadie Hafran.
Speaker 12: Check out what DraftKings has to offer this season with Code Sports.
Speaker 9: Because life's more fun when you're in on the action DraftKings.
Speaker 3: The crown is yours gambling problem called one ater.
Speaker 12: In the Tri State, temperatures start in the mid sixties and warm to eighty nine ninety ish for this afternoon. The sky will be mostly sunny and humidity slowly but surely rising tonight down to only sixty eight, so warm, and then your Sunday forecast will be Hartley Clowney with a high of ninety two again a little bit more humans where you'll feel it's sticky outside from your severe weather station. I'm nine first Warning meteorologist shed for Catchmark News Radio seven hundred WLW.
Speaker 8: We're looking at a temperature of sixty degrees here in Kenwood. I'm Sandy Collins, Next News coming up at seven o'clock on news radio seven hundred WLW News.
Speaker 4: Twenty four hours a day. He was a radio seven hundred W Lwood.
Speaker 18: I'm toasting you Sid Honey, we may be through ud.
Speaker 3: You'll never care me convey.
Speaker 9: Cause no pass were whiskey round landing there jays blues.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, and the better class illusiers to my friend that's living. As we head east down the highway fifties.
Speaker 1: US Highway fifty two out of Cincinnati, right into Ripley, Ohio, to a place called Brookies, where the Gang is anxiously anticipating their spot on a Saturday morning.
Speaker 2: Good morning, gang, Hey, hey, hey, what's going on now?
Speaker 1: I know that that Doug, your wife's daughter is getting married today and this is huge. So you're up early, have been to rehearsal, dinners and all the rest of that fauld role in fiddlety d, and now today is finally the.
Speaker 2: The knife in the h.
Speaker 1: Today you finally get finished and you can send her off with her new husband, and I know that's an exciting thing.
Speaker 2: What else is going on there this morning?
Speaker 15: Well, then you can come and see us on Sunday and you can see the aftermath of that and see.
Speaker 11: What we look like. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, My friend Chris Cohens and I are going to be at Brookies tomorrow afternoon at least god willing two to four with something akin to a musical performance. I don't know if i'd actually call it music in Chris's case. Yes, he's an excellent guitarist and we'll see how I can croak out a few tunes.
Speaker 2: We'll have a good time. Oh me too, shearing me too? So what else is going on there?
Speaker 11: The pinnacle event of the whole Harry Todge festival is today at five pm.
Speaker 2: Oh it's the T shirt contest.
Speaker 15: Yeah right, yeah, yeah, that's it. Jay Weaver will probably be here.
Speaker 10: You know that.
Speaker 2: You know that the great the legacy of the legendary Harry Todge was that he enjoyed competition.
Speaker 6: Uh.
Speaker 1: He enjoyed all kinds of competition, especially if it involved women and water. So this is a fitting tribute to the Harry Tadge Festival there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, how what's it?
Speaker 15: Go ahead.
Speaker 2: Oh no, no, you you first.
Speaker 15: So anyway, the weekend here the T.
Speaker 1: Shirt contest at Brookies at five o'clock. The Harry Todge Festival continues in Ripley, Ohio today, and how now, Brown County, we'll see you tomorrow afternoon at two o'clock.
Speaker 15: We're looking forward to it, all right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, what's the weather, Sherry?
Speaker 7: Oh, the weather's gonna be hot, hot, hot, war more and warm.
Speaker 23: And I'm going to be in the Golden Girls contest at four o'clock, so we'll see what happens there.
Speaker 11: Oh.
Speaker 1: Really, there's a senior division. Wonderful, have fun, guys, Thank you. See what you can see in Ripley today, coming up on six forty on a Saturday morning. And Steve from met In, Ohio is waiting around the bend with a pithy phone call on seven hundred WLW.
Speaker 23: Seven hundred w W since available everywhere with the iHeartRadio app down number one for podcasting seven hundred WLW and iHeartRadio station.
Speaker 2: Don't let up Plumbing problem ruin your day.
Speaker 4: Halfin Plumbing is the locally owned residential plumbing specialist offer angel amounts.
Speaker 2: It's sixty one right now.
Speaker 1: Seven hundred, WLW sport William Tomlinson, what's going on? FC Cincinnati back on the pitch against Inner Miami.
Speaker 2: Correct?
Speaker 13: Yeah.
Speaker 5: The Orange and Blue travel to Florida tonight take on the Eastern Conference leader, Inner Miami. Kickoff is set for seven thirty five. Pregame coverage will be into seven. You can listen to that game live on ESPN fifteen thirty. It's high school football season Week one. High school football season continued last night. Jennings County High School defeated lost to South Dearborn High School forty two to fourteen. Hughes top Dunbar twenty eight to eight. New Miami Edges Gamble Montassori High School fourteen to eighteen. India Hill Tops Roger Bacon thirty to seventeen. In Walnut Hills handles Western Hills thirty to six.
Speaker 2: The Reds of Draft two in a row, looking for a third times a charm tonight in Pittsburgh.
Speaker 5: Yes, the Reds are currently seven and a half games out of a wild card spot. They look to make it. They look to get closer to the wild card spot. First pitch is at six forty pre inside pitch begains at five forty catch all tonight's action on the home of the Reds seven hundred WLW.
Speaker 2: Train for about three or four years. Alcohol.
Speaker 21: It doesn't move me at all, So tell me why should it be true?
Speaker 2: Did I get a kick out a U coming up on six forty five on a Saturday morning and joining us from at no Ohio our friend Steve Simon with a pithy phone call a news of the week, good morning, Good morning.
Speaker 16: Gary, Jeff. I was just having a dance there with Becky. The best word for the DNC. He is unconventional, these clowns who call we normal people weird when they offer free abortions and best sectomies on the convention site.
Speaker 2: Next to at iud by the way right.
Speaker 16: There in the yeah, oh yes, I forgot about that. Democrats have never been accused of having good taste, and they never disappoint. And when they trot out Master Sergeant Tim Walls from behind the curtain and he tries to do his impression of Johnny Carson making a grand entrance in citing his Nebraska roots, you really have to wonder if Minnesota hasn't matriculated from radical Muslim caliphate to just plain insane asylum. Minnesota Fats thought he'd bring his down Ham flavor to the proceedings, knocking the fact that his vice presidential opponent, JD. Vance went to an Ivy League law school, ignoring the fact that the Obamas and the clinton are also Ivy League lawyers. What the hell does that make you? Tim? JD proudly used the word hillbilly in his autobiography, We are now awaiting Minnesota fats bio dumbass elegy. The more you see of horrible Harris and Fats, the more you sympathize with Hunter Biden being the main subject in that secret Service probe of cocaine found in the White House. Remember that all the usual suspects were right there at the DNC in Chicago. Come on, cops, arrest somebody. Ah. Yes, the Windy City where terrorists burned the American flag twice and tore down barricades, But the Jewish governor of Pennsylvania passed over for the Aryan VP Nod feels right at home, addressing the convention as if nothing happened. How much did they pay you, Josh thirty pieces of silver for betraying two countries? They should take this show on the road and call it the Wizard of Washington, complete with the tin man president who has no heart or other functioning organ, the Minneapolis scarecrow who has no brain, the cowardly lion who turned his back on Israel, and the wicked witch of the West elevated to the front of the Looney line after sleeping her way.
Speaker 11: To the top.
Speaker 16: Joe Biden is still hanging on to the presidency, but one wonders, why, Ah, the hunter Biden pardons, you can't just hang your son and business partner out to dry enter wheeler dealer Tim Walls, who will wrangle a Congressional medal of honor for his service to his country. Clearly he may have saved the lives of his men whom he deserted, since they could now have a commander who actually gives a rats ass about them. Yeah, so give them a medal, Joe, and save the last five months of your sterling tenure. Who rape or holly would? There was Oprah Winfrey, billionaire god and self described victim of all kinds of discrimination, principally against fat people. So how in the world did she become filthy rich in such a terrible country? The Democrat solution is to put her on the reparations list. Yes, we're only thirty five trillion in debt, we could afford it. But wait, wait, since Commie Harris wants to soak the rich and take us back to the ninety percent top tax rate of the nineteen fifties, I say, Oprah, open up your wallet and give back as they say. You go, girlfriend, If sleazy makes you queasy, voting democrat ate easy check out. Bear County, Texas Sheriff Javier Salazar, who two years ago tore apart the Harris Biden team for its lack of control of the border. Well, it's amazing how things have improved there. He was this week at the Unconvention, praising the border Czarina and condemning trump bad timing Javier. The Department of Homeland Security this week said its lost track of thirty thousand miners who crossed the border illegally and could well now be victims of human trafficking. Want to bet some of those kids are in your county, Bear County, that's San Antonio. You know, I'd say the over under on that one is maybe one thousand. Xavier. Joey Vado was not at the unconvention. He was the last of the original Cincinnati Reds of eighteen sixty nine. After one hundred and fifty five years, fifty two knee surgeries and two titanium hips, the Canadian Transplant has called it quits. Excuse me, I'm sorry I went for clump there. Actually it was just seventeen years in the bigs, but every dog on one of them was as a Cincinnati Red. So I salute you, Joey, one of the few immigrants who did it legally. You took the time to learn our language, a get a good job, and hopefully paid a crapload of taxes so we can now pay reparations to Oprah Winfrey.
Speaker 2: I like that one too.
Speaker 16: I got to repeat that no up here at Seabas for the stoners is that they are paying a lot more at the pot shops for weed than they imagined they would. I think we're all agreed that this is disgraceful.
Speaker 2: Crashed down on the black market. Crackdown on the black market.
Speaker 16: Is disgraceful, I say, especially when Tommie Harris is promising price controls.
Speaker 11: Where the hell are they? I'm sorry I got excited there.
Speaker 16: I should calm down.
Speaker 6: On this.
Speaker 11: Weeed, they say, that'll make you do that.
Speaker 16: She has also bragged about being a pothead to appeal to that constituency, which shouldn't be too hard to do. But folks forget that it was her father who called her out on that, saying it gives the impression that all Jamaicans are high on dope. Well, you know what, Papa is a retired Marxist professor at Berkeley, to whom I say, Dad, wouldn't it be better for Jamaicans to be called dopers than a bunch of commies. I mean, in the twentieth century alone, Marxist governments killed more than one hundred million of their own people, and pot didn't even come close to that. I'm just saying. And if I may end it with this, I know everybody's saying, well, you didn't mention OURFK. Well, I have mixed feelings about this. Ask Robert F. Kennedy Junior if he supports the Green New Deal, which was endorsed by Tommy Harrison twenty nineteen. If he says yes, the bloom is off the rows. The cost of that estimated ridiculous policy is conservatively estimated at fifty three trillion dollars that would buck us up to about ninety trillion in debt ourfk's politics are in line with Bernie Sanders and always have been. Even if he endorses Trump, which of course he did, none of his supporters will really did you see all that math they were trying to pull out, you know, the states that you know Trump will get. Now his supporters aren't gonna support Trump, you know, Gary Jeff. Once again the most famous factoid out of twenty twenty four, Robert F. Kennedy's dad was killed by a Palestinian terrorist in Los Angeles, California. Yeah, nobody ever mentions that except our FK Junior, and I salute him. Right in the middle of that campaign he said, I am four square behind Israel, and he is one person who has said it who might be telling the truth. God bless you, our FK Senior. I gotta go take care of yourself.
Speaker 2: Gary Jeff, thank you. And you do have to be high to vote for Kamala Harris. You scaled the Jeff Walker and you're not and aren't you glad? Hello to the Pisqually brothers at the River camp in Patriot this morning, and hello to our next guest Science Mike the Science Minute as the Minutes tick away on a Saturday.
Speaker 24: Yes, as a nightly scientist.
Speaker 17: Surprising Bell binding me.
Speaker 2: Good morning, Michael, what's going on?
Speaker 13: Well, first, let me say different Daton. I'm proud of you for taking managerial counting. I'm never too old to learn, Dick.
Speaker 2: It's continuing education for the Dixter.
Speaker 13: Hey, guy, I just saw this unusualately, the the shrouded turret is back in the news. And what's interesting is the article, the scientific article at this is this topic is based on the actually came out in March of twenty twenty two, and I don't understand why it was took over two years to get out in the main public. But anyhow, we all know what the shroud at Turin is is the burial cloth of Jesus.
Speaker 2: But the in the eighties they.
Speaker 13: Did a study for carbon fourteen dating and they said, no, it was just around twelve the twelve hundred to thirteen hundred eighty that's when the shroud was, when it was created created. And the thing about carbon fourteen dating is the samples they took are on the size of the centimeter size and they actually have to destroy the samples. And what they've done Gary Jeff, is they actually took these samples of the cloth with which are made out of cellulose, which is cellulose is a is a a sugar chain, it's a polymer. And think of a bowl of spaghetti. So you have these long chains and they're actually crystalline in nature where they're actually oriented in straight lines. And as it tell you, those gets older in time, these these chains break down and by the amount of degradation of the chain, you can actually tell the age of the cloth. So what they did they did is we'll call wide angle X ray scattering a study, and they showed that actually the cloth is is actually the.
Speaker 2: Time of Jesus.
Speaker 13: Is interesting how they went about the study. They took samples of the actual time of Jesus, no samples, and they took samples from when they said it was supposedly created. And their analysis is spot on as far as the aging and the beauty of it is. You could take this sample which is a millimeter in size, and it doesn't destroy the sample, so you can repeatedly study this sample. Anybody can do it, so as far as looking at the sample.
Speaker 2: Itself, So two WoRDSS repeatable measurements, so it or three words rather consensus consensus isn't science. When people say the science is settled, as they did it with a shadow, the shroud of Tuhran in the nineteen eighties, they didn't know. They did not know, and and science is always progressing and that's the wonderful thing about it.
Speaker 13: And the beauty of the study is that it's not only that the scattering it, it was by infraredial spectroscopy and rama, yeah, proven that it's two thousand years old.
Speaker 2: So science isn't a consensus. Consensus is actually the opposite of science. So we don't know what we don't know, and when we think we know, we still don't know. Thank you so much, sir. It's eight twelve at seven hundred WLW.
Speaker 22: Rocky Boyman here. I played in the NFL, and that's pretty cool. I'm also a published author and that's pretty cool. I'll also once shared an elevator without Dahalai Lama and that's also pretty cool. But none of that compares to hearing the podcast of the Eddy and Rocky Show on the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 2: Now that's very.
Speaker 21: Iheart's Yacht Rock Radio goes commercial free everyone.
Speaker 2: This is let's go to love the new intros for our friend, brother Rick Green. That happens to be your cousin's band, Reunion of Souls. Rick, How about that?
Speaker 13: Oh?
Speaker 11: I love it, Garry.
Speaker 24: You know, I think Daddy would love the song too, because he loves music.
Speaker 2: No doubt, no doubt. Now that is h Eddie. What's his name, Hedges? Eddie has a blue ass on all right, all right?
Speaker 1: Originally was a member of Blessed Union of Souls And now that's a Reunion of Souls and they're out now with that. And that's the official YouTube video audio. And that's gonna be our intro on Saturday mornings for our Bible Verse. We'd like to be positive wherever possible on this program.
Speaker 2: One of the ways in which we do that is by offering the Word of God for your discernment, hope and positive in a world that's not that way. It's not hopeful, it's not positive, but we are because of the Word of God. So what do you have for us this morning, brother Rick?
Speaker 24: Today Gary, we have John Chapter twenty, verse twenty nine.
Speaker 13: DN.
Speaker 24: Jesus told him, because you have seen me, you have believed bless are those who have not seen me yet believed.
Speaker 2: Amen, Gary, I'm one of them.
Speaker 24: I never seen him, but I know he's real. I know he exists. I know he's almighty. I know he's the Son of God.
Speaker 2: It's all about faith. And you know what, I'll tie this in.
Speaker 1: Also from the Book of John, John eight twenty four, Jesus warned the crowds. I told you that you would die in your sins. If you do not believe that I am the one I claim to be, you will indeed die in your sins.
Speaker 2: It's all about faith. Yeah, seen and unseen always.
Speaker 24: Now, Gary, once you get a little taste in Jesus, I just personally don't understand.
Speaker 2: You cannot believe. It's just beyond my comprehension. I'm agreed. I'm agreeing. And it doesn't mean that because you believe you're a perfect person, you're still a sinner. But that's why we need more Jesus.
Speaker 24: Now, I Rick got a line of mess wrapped up in him. I'll be the first one to say it.
Speaker 2: If I go, I give into that mess. Yep, you can't. All right?
Speaker 1: All right, brother Rick, have a fantastic blessed weekend, and God bless you, thank you so much.
Speaker 24: All Right, you guys have a blessed day.
Speaker 2: All Right, It's eight eighteen, It's seven hundred WLW.
Speaker 3: This morning at nine, Mike Allan bites the latest wave of ridiculousness with karate like discipline on one hundred WLW.
Speaker 4: Next month's iHeartRadio Music Festival and.
Speaker 12: Warm too, eighty nine ninety ish for this afternoon. This guy will be mostly sunny and humidity slowly but surely rising tonight down to only sixty eight, so warm, and then your Sunday forecast will be partly clowny with a high of ninety two again a little bit more human where you'll feel it's sticky outside. That's the forecast.
Speaker 2: I'm nine first Warning Meteorolal Just Jennifer Ketchmark seven one hundred WLW, Sport, Liam.
Speaker 1: We have not talked about week zero the college football season yet.
Speaker 5: No college football is back and first game kicks off at noon between Florida State and Georgia Tech and ACC matchup over across the pond in Ireland.
Speaker 2: In Dublin, Oh wow, high school football is red hot. Yeah.
Speaker 5: Wilmington High School shut out Northwest High School thirty to nothing. Belmont will shut out by Deer Park High School forty to nothing. Marymont falls to Oakwood twenty one to fourteen. Wittenwood's top Springfield High School sixteen to six. McNicholas mcnickl lists falls to Steubenville eighteen to sixteen. At Steubenville steuben ghoshen gosh In Steubenville, Steubenville Grosve City Christian shuts out Miami Valley Christian Academy forty two to nothing. Campbell County routes Scott High School sixty three to twenty seven. Madeira edges Batavia twenty six to twenty one. Taylor tops Talawan to twenty one to seven, Anderson blows out south Old on Them fifty one to six. Wayne County defeats Fairfield thirty one to thirteen. Kings beats Sycamore forty two to seven. Harrison tops Loveland forty to seven, Columbus beat Cincinnati Hills Christian Academy by one, and Milford destroyed Edgewood High School thirty three to three.
Speaker 1: All right, fantastic the Red losers last night in Pittsburgh. They're back on the diamond tonight this afternoon, this evening. Whatever you want to call it for Game three of the series.
Speaker 11: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Inside pitch begins at five point forty, first pitches at six forty. Julian, we'll take the mound for the Reds and Jake Woodford will take the mound for the Pirates. Catch all the action right here on the Home of the Red seven hundred WLW.
Speaker 13: There you go.
Speaker 2: So yesterday I'm bartending where I'll be today the after the show show with my lovely wife Chris the two point zero.
Speaker 1: Anyway, I'm there yesterday. Guy walks in, never seen before, and I greet them like I greet anybody else.
Speaker 2: Hey, how you doing?
Speaker 11: What can I do for you?
Speaker 2: And the orders of I guess was a beam on the rocks or something or Jim beam straight up and you know, got his drink. We're talking a little bit because it was kind of slow, so I had a chance to chat find out he's originally from Milford, but he's back in town visiting. He's been.
Speaker 1: In Smyrna, Tennessee, near Nashville for the last thirty years. Oddly enough, this is the summer that marks my thirtieth year that I moved from Nashville up here. So we kind of did the the swap never met each other, but he went from here to Nashville. I went from Nashville to here about the same time. So we Todd, that's kind of kind of an interesting occurrence. And he's in Smyrna, Tennessee. And I know that my younger brother John is in Smyrna. He works at a bar restaurant called Chappies. And I said, uh, you ever go to Chappi's. He goes yeah. I said, well, you have to say hi to my brother if you're in Chappies in Smyrna, Tennessee.
Speaker 2: His name's John. He said, you're John from Chappie's. Brother.
Speaker 1: It's the first time in a long time that Gary Jeff Walker hasn't been the big famous person in the conversation. It was my brother John, who works as a cook and a server at Chappie's and has been there for a while. So we're talking and marveling at the small world status of our conversation and how wild it is. And then there are all kinds of other little parallels we never met. His name is Greg Jones, and he's back in town for a little while. He's a songwriter. Imagine that a songwriter lives in Nashville, went to Belmont College. He's written a number of songs on the new Cody Jenks album. If you're a country fan, you know who Cody Jenks is, and a hit or two for Cody, and he's had a couple of other hits as a songwriter. And it was just a great chance meeting. He knew my brother Johnny, which I thought was just amazing. So shout out to Greg Jones if he's listening today, thanks for stumbling into the bar and hopefully we see each other again soon. Mo Egger's coming up Gifts from a Wally and more. It's eight twenty six at seven hundred WLW.
Speaker 25: Sarah Spain with Iheartwomen's Sports presented by Capitol One. Top ranked American golfer Nellie Corda handled blustery conditions at Saint Andrew's to shoot a boat hooky free four under sixty eight on Friday in the second round of the Women's British Open. The twenty six year old takes a three stroke lead into Saturday, sitting at eight under. Fellow American Lily Avoo and Brett Charlie Hall are on her heels at five under for more women's sports stories. Subscribe a Good Game with Sarah Spain on iHeart Podcasts.
Speaker 2: With no fees or minimums and no overdraft fees. Banking with Capital one is the easiest decision.
Speaker 8: Today and into the loan nineties tomorrow. No rain in sight right now? Where at sixty five degrees at eight thirty six. I'm Sandy Collins. Our next update at nine o'clock on news Radio seven hundred WLWL.
Speaker 4: News twenty four hours a day, News Radio seven hundred WLW.
Speaker 2: Good Morning Kids, Time for gifts from Wally Let's set sail One fine day, Brave Captain Smith and his crew of sailors are sailing the ocean blues. Suddenly on the horizon there looms a ship with a skull and crossbones raised on the mass. The crew's frantic seeking refuge and asking the captain what they should do. Brave Captain Smith looked at the approaching ship for a moment and said, bring me my red shirt. The call was taken up at once by a cabin boy. As soon as Captain Smith had the shirt in his possession, he ordered the men at the wheel to head straight for the pirate ship.
Speaker 1: In the ensuing fight, the pirate ship was all but destroyed. The sailors afterward recounting their individual triumphs. Afterwards, when someone asked Captain Smith why he had asked for his red shirt before the battle, he responded, if I was wounded and bleeding, I did not want your confidence to weigh that way. You would keep fighting no matter what happened to me. The crew had a new found respect for the captain, and they talked all night about his bravery and his red shirt. About a week later, there loomed a horizon of ten pirate ships. Once again, the crew looked to its captain for leadership. Calmly brave, Captain Smith told the cabin boy boy, bring me my brown pants.
Speaker 23: Under Cincinnati available everywhere with the iHeartRadio app down number one for podcasting.
Speaker 26: Jones Sun, I don't go on Monday, sleep until I wake. Whiskey my coffee and naughty for the good Lord game that's the show, and digs my grain.
Speaker 21: Every really had plan. Okay, everybody know where I stand in and all my friends I see the same kind of crazy as man.
Speaker 2: That's Cody Jinks and the same kind of crazy written by my new friend Greg Jones from Nashville joining us to talk sports in there is you know, it's the convergence of all of these wonderful times of the year right now today with football and baseball and high school.
Speaker 1: Football and everything else going on. Moeggers here to discuss much of that. Hey, Mo, what's going on?
Speaker 11: What's up?
Speaker 2: How are we doing good? I saw that Shohei.
Speaker 1: Otani became a member of the forty to forty club as a Los Angeles Dodger, and I always was betting.
Speaker 24: On him to do that.
Speaker 11: With a walkoffrand slam.
Speaker 2: Yes, a walkoff grand slam, Steele.
Speaker 1: I mean, we talk all the time about the potential and the great talents of La Dela Cruz, and those are there too. I mean, he's what the third player since I don't know how long, or one of the first five players. I can't remember all the stats with La because he's setting so many records in the middle of this mediocre season for the Reds and sometimes wishy washing for him. But you know, to have to have twenty home runs and sixty steels and all of that in the company of the great Rickey Henderson and others. But shoe Atani is just I mean is there is there a bigger superstar in Major League Baseball right now?
Speaker 11: Aaron Judge would has something to say about that. I think definitely. You know, Bobby Wood Junior in Kansas City, who we saw last weekend, would have something to say about that. But as a general rule, no, he's he's must watch.
Speaker 6: You know.
Speaker 11: You know, back when Barry Bonds was at his at his absolute peak of his powers, a Barry Bonds at bad to me was something you stopped whatever you were doing to watch or if you were flipping around him he came to the plate, you watched, and shoe Hey Otani is similar.
Speaker 6: You know.
Speaker 11: He he hits the ball to all fields. It feels like he has no weakness at the plate. And by the way, he's not pitching this year, right, I mean, he's you know, he's the dual correct guy not pitching this year. He is awesome in every sense of the word. And you know, baseball being such a regional sport, a lot of folks don't pay very close attention to, you know, players who aren't playing for their own team. I'm hopeful that Shoeo Tony gets the massive stage of the World Series because as many people need to see him as possible. He is awesome and by all accounts, an incredible teammate, a fun loving guy. And you know, very few things in sports live up to the hype. You and I have talked about this in regards to a number of different things. Yes, sooo, TONI came to the United States accompanied by a lot of hype and he somehow exceeded it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and you mentioned Aaron Judge. Aaron Judge looks like two guys. I mean, I've never seen somebody so huge at the plate in Major League Bay. It's just incredible. But and you know, we have to address just a couple of days down the road from the official announcement by Joey Vobb his retirement, which we have all seen coming maybe before Joey. But I just love his candor. I love the fact that he's just so honest when he's talking about it. You know, I'm just not good anymore man to be able to do that, though.
Speaker 1: You know, he's seventeen seasons with the Cincinnati Reds, a National League MVP, all the All Star selections, and you know, more than three hundred home runs, more than a thousand RBI, more than two thousand hits. He's in very select company himself.
Speaker 11: Without questions, seven time on base percentage leader, and you know, to me, there's two different things you addressed there. One is I always I always got excited when I saw that Joey Vado did a sit down with one of the local beat writers yp or was going to be on MLB Network, because you were going to get something good, and you were going to get something insightful, and you were gonna get something honest, and you were gonna get a glints into, you know, how seriously he took his craft, and you were gonna get to get a glint sometimes in recent years into how frustrating it was for him to, you know, to turn the key and just not have the engine come on. He did an interview yesterday with Dan Patrick where he outlined and described the moment where he realized I'm done when you know, he's playing for the Buffalo Bisons the other night and the manager says, hey, you haven't at back coming up, and he said, I don't want it and sat there on the bench next to his childhood hero, Devon White, is now a coach with the team that he was playing on, and Devon White says to him, what are you gonna do? And I think he was referring to, you know, maybe adjustments he was going to make in a swing, and Joey says nothing, and he goes there was this full circle moment where here was this guy that I revered as a kid, and I'm now sitting next to him, And as I'm sitting next to him, I hit the realization that I'm done and I can't do this anymore. I'm washed. And so you always got really good, thorough, deep, honest answers. And then as a player, you know, unfortunately he's the best Reds player to not really be identified with team success because they just simply weren't that good all that often while he was here. But on the occasions where he was on the Reds and they were good, he was the main reason why that twenty ten team, which is my favorite Reds team of all time, that surprised a lot of people and won ninety games. Joey was the MVP that year, and he was he was awesome, and if you recall, initially didn't make the All Star team and still won the MVP, which is remarkable. And then when they were bad and they were often bad. He was one of the only reasons to watch. And if you look at his CARETCH twenty fifteen, sixteen seventeen, he finished in the top seven of the MVP voting in each of those seasons. He finished in the top five of the MVP voting in two of those seasons, and they lost ninety four more games every year. In many respects, they wasted his best seasons, but he at least gave you a reason to still watch. And you know, he's always been a real kind of interesting guy because he was at the epicenter of, you know, maybe eight nine years ago, what was a real interesting debate in baseball, you know, where we had kind of reached an intersection of older ways of evaluating players and measuring them statistically, and in some of those cases, you know, Joey for some was a little bit disappointing. And then newer methods of evaluating players were on base percentages valued a little bit more, and not making outs is valued a little bit more. In that regard, Joey had no peer, you know, as I mentioned, led the league on base percentage seven times, and I think that's going to be what thrusts him in the Coopers Town. He checks a lot of boxes. MVP cold Glove, you know, finished second in the Rookie of the Year voting in two thousand and eight, and frankly, he was robbed six All Star teams, three hundred and fifty four home runs. You know, the shame of his last two years in Cincinnati was his performances were so poor that it dipped his career batting average below three hundred. But still two ninety four is awesome. But I think what's going to carry him to Cooper's Town is that the people who are voting by the time he's on the ballot will really really value on base percentage and when you have are in the sort of company he is in terms of guys who led the league and that statistic as many times as he did, there are going to be a lot of people, I think over seventy five percent who check his box. And he's going to be in the Hall of Fame and his induction speech will be awesome.
Speaker 2: You do sports here in Cincinnati for a living, MO and high school football, and we've talked about just how special high school football is anywhere around the country where you know you've got a lot of teams playing a lot of allegiances and a lot of you know, legacies. You know that the Elder, the Molers, the Highlands and all the cuvcafs and all of those things. But so is there a certain buzz about high school football that doesn't exist in other sports that you cover around here?
Speaker 11: Yeah, you know, I was watching last night And this is no discredit to the other television stations in town, but I was watching the Fox nineteen final quarter last night as they had camera crews and reporters that I think twenty one or twenty two different games, and it's really fun to watch. And I think all the TV stations do a good job of this, but it's really fun to watch them kind of zip around and cover so many teams, so many games, tell the stories of so many athletes. It's a lot of fun. And I think what gave this year's opening in the college football or the high school football season a little extra punch was the resumption of the Molar Princeton rivalry, which you know, if you go back in the day, was just such a great rivalry with you know, Jerry Fows and Steve Clowne and yeah, and and UH coach man q soot at Princeton And there's a terrific film that was made a few years ago by a filmmaker named Branson Wright who produced him thirty for thirties for ESPN, and he did a terrific film about the history of the Molar Princeton rivalry. And it resumed last night. Moller won the game that I think gave that the season a little extra punch. And look, man, I live on the West side of Cincinnati, so when high school football season gets underway, you know, all commerce stops here because of because of Elder. But yeah, it's it's different, it's unique, it's a lot of fun, and uh, it's we don't talk about it nearly as much on on on sports talk radio because it's it's just kind of hard. But it is a unique slice of life in Cincinnati that you know. Obviously, high school football is big in a lot of places, but the way it's talked about, the way it's covered in a major league town, I think is pretty cool.
Speaker 1: Much Football Week zero, What game are you looking at today that really piques your interest?
Speaker 11: Florida State and Georgia Tech. You know, Florida State obviously was the team that was on the outside looking into the College Football Playoff last year. This is a season unlike any other because of obviously the expanded postseason field. It's a conference game in August in Week zero, which we typically don't get. So I'm really looking forward to watching that. I'm really looking forward to just seeing how the expansion of the college football Playoff impacts how we talk about the regular season. And in some respects, it's gonna be great because you're going to have teams that might slip up early that don't have to worry about their national championship hopes going out the window. But you're also going to have some teams that you know, you know. In recent years, we've talked a lot about how well, geez, you can pencil in Alabama, or you could pencil in Georgia, or in some years you can pencil in Ohio State to make a fourteen college football playoffs. Well, do you mean to tell me that either Georgia or Ohio State's going to slip out of the top twelve? And so I think the meaningfulness of some of those games is going to take a hit. But you're going to have more fans who feel like their team has access to the tournament, to the national Championship, and I think as a whole that's really really good. And I think Florida State, you know, based on what I read, they expect to be a part of that mix.
Speaker 1: There's one player fighting for a roster spot this weekend on yours, Cincinnati Bengals, that I am rooting for to make the club. And it's just because he has been a lone, shining offensive weapon that we may or may not see this Jermaine Burton.
Speaker 2: Your comments on.
Speaker 11: Jermaine Burton, Samay, Burton's had a really interesting last few weeks because when he's been on the field, he's been terrific. But when he's been on the field, he's been playing against guys that, you know, frankly, are probably not going to be NFL players. And so what has stood out has been when he has entered the games, it's late, it's with the backups to the backups, and from an athletics standpoint, he should dominate those guys. Third round pick, played at Alabama, played at Georgia. He should be dominating those guys. But you know, as somebody said to me last week, follow the reps, well, Jermaine Burton hasn't been getting first or second team reps. And the reason for that is Number one, they have a lot of depth at wide receiver.
Speaker 17: Yeah.
Speaker 11: Number two, you know when Joe Burrow says after Jermaine Burton's first NFL preseason game, he's got to get his head in the playbook, what does that tell you? Tells you the quarterback really doesn't trust him. Al Michaels and Chris and A kirkurb Street the other night on the TV broadcast animated that maybe Jermaine Burton isn't from a maturity standpoint, what the Bengals want him to be right now. And so here's the beauty of it. Jermaine Burton's going to play for the Bengals, and and there's a lot to like about him, but they're not desperate enough to put a guy on the field that maybe hasn't earned the quarterbacks draft, or maybe isn't doing the things in the meeting rooms or off the field that they need him to. And the cool thing is he's got a lot of guys above him on the depth chart that if he follows their example, follows their lead, has a chance to get it. And if he does, you saw the physical profile, you saw the speed, you saw the explosive this saw the ability to go get the football. And so I think his long term upside is really immense and the short term feels like there's some stuff that he has to figure out in terms of, you know, how to be a pro that I hope he does because we all know physically what he can do.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no doubt about it. We have a fantastic weekend.
Speaker 1: Thank you, my friend Mike Allen counselor Saturday midday, just ahead, get the microphone up there and got you buddy. So you really enjoyed watching Kamala Harris, I get.
Speaker 2: I mean it was just spellbinding.
Speaker 11: Nah.
Speaker 2: But the truth of the matter is, as I mentioned to you, I can watch that woman. I can't know.
Speaker 20: I can't listen to her. She's just there is not an ounce of sincerity in her bones. She's not genuine. I can't do it now I talk about it. So I did read the transcript. I can't listen to her, so that overrides the fact that she may or may not be a cackling COMI ho.
Speaker 2: Well that yeah, that too. I mean at the bottom line is I never did like her. I don't think I ever will.
Speaker 1: There's nothing authentic about, nothing real about any of that. Nothing Jim Waltz, the assistant coach. Oh that guy, that's all Tim. Uh what did he say? Socialism is another person's neighbor leader.
Speaker 2: Yes, nice. Tell that to the people in Cuba that suffered under Castle. Tell that to the people in Cuba right now where seniors are receiving ten dollars a month for pension. I saw that. Yeah, that'll go far. Yeah, a fantastic show, Mike Allen, Saturday Midday. I know you got a bunch of great people on. I got to run after the show, show at Huddles and we'll see you there. Celebrate Labor Day weekend this year with a bag