Speaker 1: So one of the weird little wrinkles in the mystery of Kelly Wilson's disappearance is that her tire was slashed on the Courthouse square on the night she vanished, and we're told that this slash tire had nothing to do with her disappearance. Here's what newspaper reporter Philip Williams had to say.
Speaker 2: He's last her tires, she disappears, but he didn't have thing to do with the disappearance or as the law was.
Speaker 1: Concerned in this episode. I'm going to tell you something else about Kelly and slash tires, and I don't know. Maybe you can help me make sense of this. From Free Range Productions in association with Imperative Entertainment, I'm West Ferguson and this is Deviltown, Chapter fourteen, Slashed Tires. So a while back, I was reading through this Reddit thread about Kelly's case when I saw a comment from an old friend of hers. The thing is, though this friend was not from Gilmer, texas she knew Kelly Wilson from Nakodish Louisiana. We've talked so much about Gilmer throughout the series, but I never really knew much about Kelly's life before Gilmer, because you know, she spent nearly her entire childhood up till her junior year of high school in nakadish. I talked to Kelly's dad, Robbie, but you know, a dad only knows so much, so I reach out to this person on Reddit and she emails me. We end up talking on the phone, and believe it or not, she knew something kind of strange about Kelly and those slash tires. And we'll get to that pretty quick. But first I want to tell you about Kelly because her friend Laurence Seal knew a side of Kelly that hardly anybody I've talked to for this show ever saw. They'd been friends since junior high.
Speaker 3: We met when Kelly and I were both in seventh grade, but she went to a different school, but she was started dating my brother, who was two years older than me, and I just remember she was beautiful and super nice, and then we went to school together in ninth grade and I kind of was intimidated by her because she's just really, really confident, a really confident girl.
Speaker 1: That confidence is the thing that just about everybody who knew Kelly brings up. Lauren included when she.
Speaker 3: Would talk to you, her eyes would just kind of they'd never stray away from your own. She had confidence about her and she was no nonsense, just straightforward, but very fun. She was just a really cool girl, just very mature for her age. She always just seemed like she'd been there and done that, but she never met an enemy, I don't think. Just very confident, sure of herself, very smart, very pretty. She was very adult as me being the same age. I just looked at her as thinking she just had all the wisdom of the world.
Speaker 1: Lauren was a little younger than Kelly and a little shyer, and Kelly kind of took her under her wing. What she remembers is mostly small stuff, the kind of thing you only remember about a friend.
Speaker 3: Our friend Christy. She had a white, cheavy step side, like an older choke that was really badass. And it was the three of us in the front and Kelly was in the middle, and our entertainment was to ride up and down this street quote unquote one of the main streets in knack and Is, but we called it the Strip.
Speaker 1: And there's one thing about writing around in that truck that Lauren still remembers clear as Day.
Speaker 3: She really, really really liked that song by Leta Ford and Ozzy Osbourne. If I close my eyes forever and I just remember she was just seen at the top of her lungs, and I remember thinking, she has a really good voice too. That's not fair, because she's really pretty, really smart.
Speaker 1: So she could sing too, apparently. And look, it'd be really easy thirty plus years down the road to turn Kelly into some kind of saint. That happens a lot with these cases. But that's not what Lauren does. She just talks about her like a regular teenage girl.
Speaker 3: What I liked about her is that she just was upfront. She didn't sugarcoat anything, but she wasn't mean either. She liked being the leader, and definitely she was someone that people would follow.
Speaker 1: She kept her grades up too, but not in a way that would cost her any fun.
Speaker 3: She would be like, oh, yeah, I'll be fine on the test. I'm still going to go out and party till like one o'clock and you know, get everything done, and she did so.
Speaker 1: Now you might remember from earlier in the series that Kelly's folks were split up, and to this day, I don't think they still agree on much, including a big question whether Kelly even wanted to be in Gilmour at all or whether she was trying to get back to Louisiana. Lauren remembers the day Kelly left Nackadish.
Speaker 3: And I ran into her in the hall and she said, I have to move to Gilmore because I guess she'd been fighting with her dad. And I was like, well, when you go in, she's like today, and I just won't ever forget her face because she just looked shocked that she had to leave. By that was the last time I taught to her.
Speaker 1: Today, not next month, not at the end of the school year.
Speaker 3: That same day, she says, friendly to everybody, always had a smile on her face. I never saw her where she was crying or upset, except for the last day I talked to her. She wasn't even crying then. She just kind of looked concerned, like she didn't want to do it, you know, she just didn't want to move, but she was going and getting her stuff, checking out of all the classes. She just seems shocked, and I just we didn't have a lot of time to talk, and it was kind of like our kept saying no, no, you know, I'm really going to move. She's like, Lauren, I'm leaving today, like, oh my god. And that was it, little hug and she was gone.
Speaker 1: And that was it. Kelly went off to Gilmer and then that January she was gone. When I spoke with Lauren, she kept coming back to how alive.
Speaker 3: Kelly was some huge blue eyes that would just staring into your soul sometime. Always had big ground her face, a lot of big hair. But big hair was in back then, right, always in fashion. No matter what it was, she was wearing it. She was a trendsetter. It's insane. And she was a good person and she was a fun to be around, and she was she would light up any room, that's for sure.
Speaker 1: I asked her at the end of our conversation if there was anything else she wanted people to know about her friend.
Speaker 3: She was very vibrant, very alive. And that's why it's so hard to picture hers. I just don't want to picture, but you know, like it just ended so like a candle going out, like ooh, like.
Speaker 1: A candle going out. Lauren was fifteen, sixteen years old the last time she saw Kelly. She's in her early fifties now. And Kelly's still that girl in the middle of the truck after the break. Older guys and slash tires. Kelly Wilson, like a lot of teenagers, had a type older guys, the bad news kind, and Lauren tagging along tended to like the same ones.
Speaker 3: We often had crushes on the same guys too. Like she was a guy David Kirkland who was kind of no good. He slashed both of our tires on one night, not just ours, but it was a couple of other people like him and his gang. What are they called, the what is it regulators? Oh my god, it's so stupid. Anyway, Yeah, I think he ended up having to go to the Marines or jail, and I think he went marines. But he was just that bad boy, older guy. I guess.
Speaker 1: So a guy slashes her tires and you'd think that's the end of it, but it wasn't. Kelly liked him anyway. She liked him even though he slashed her tires.
Speaker 3: Mmm, yeah, kind of I did too. I don't know why.
Speaker 1: When I said that seemed like a strange reason to keep liking somebody, Lauren didn't disagree.
Speaker 3: It is weird, and I'm thinking here. As I'm talking about it, I'm like, yeah, I still liked him. I'm thinking to my why didn't like him? I don't know. Even after I moved, I remember thinking, uh, you know, I don't know high school girl stuff. That's all I can say.
Speaker 4: Now.
Speaker 1: Let me be extremely careful here, because I am not telling you that this guy David had anything to do with what happened to Kelly. There's no reason to think that. By Lauren's telling, he was some teenage kid in Louisiana who slashed a few tires and then went off and joined the Marines. That's about it. What stuck with me was smaller than that, and stranger because slash tires show up one other time in Kelly's story, at the worst possible moment. You've been following the show, so you know this next part, but real quick, because we got into all of this back in episode two. Here's the short version.
Speaker 4: Seventeen year old high school senior was last seen on January fifth, nineteen ninety two. She had just finished working a shift at a local video store when she headed to the bank to make a deposit. That night, the money made it into the account, but Kelly never made it home.
Speaker 1: The morning after Kelly disappeared in January of nineteen ninety two, her car turns up beside the video store in Gilmer where she worked. He's missing a bottle of vodka inside, no signs of any struggle, and her left rear tire is slashed, and not just a little puncture, it slashed so bad the tire has come off the rim.
Speaker 4: The next morning, her car still found sitting outside of her job. One of the tires had been slashed. Her belonging, including her purse, still inside of the car. The keys were missing, and now so was Kelly gone without a trace.
Speaker 1: A couple months later, this seventeen year old kid named Michael Bibe admits that it was him. He pleads guilty to a misdemeanor, and the police write the whole thing off as random, just vandalism, nothing to do with Kelly's disappearance. And that wasn't even the only tire. Somebody had slashed one of Kelly's tires two nights earlier, on the Friday, and the girl who worked with her at the video store got one slashed right around then too. I've talked about all this on the show before, and I even said a while back that I couldn't shake the feeling that a slash tire might be somebody's extremely juvenile idea of a romantic gesture, danger, and attraction all rolled into one. So you can see why Lauren's story really stuck with me. I'm not sure any of this will really help the case, you know, like help us understand what happened to Kelly that night. In fact, my original producer even cut the entire interview with Lauren from an earlier episode because it just didn't quite fit in with the whole true crime thing that we do. It's just a weird coincidence. And you know, a teenage crush in Louisiana is also a whole different world from a crime scene in Gilmer. We're talking different boys, different states, years apart. All I'm saying is, once you've heard both, it's hard not to want to try and connect the two, not in a real, just the facts kind of way, but just in a strange phenomenon. Michael Bibe was seventeen back then, like I said, and he had dropped out of high school, and I guess he was just hanging out on the square that night. Here's newspaper reporter Philip Williams again.
Speaker 2: The guy That's last or tire. He was brought in the court, played guilty to a Miss Demainor, and I was there when he was sentenced, but apparently, through a remarkable coincidence, he had nothing to do with her disappearance.
Speaker 1: Michael got a fine for the slash tire and he was sentenced to ninety days in jail for criminal mischief. He ended up serving forty five days, and he was interviewed by gilmert Police Sergeant James York Brown, the lead investigator, and he was also interviewed by the FBI. I don't have access to any of those interviews, but it seems clear that law enforcement didn't really have anything on him. The Gilmer police chief back then was Al McAllister, and he told the Gilmer Mirror that Biby was either the unluckiest guy in the world or he knows more than he told us. Michael also allegedly got the crap beat out of him by Kelly's brother and her stepbrother. After doing his jail time, he moved to another state and he still lives there. I've come across a few rumors about Michael online and some people have passed along a few other leads to me. They're interesting, but it's all secondhand stuff that I couldn't confirm for the podcast. I have tried to speak with him for a year at this point. I've exchanged a ton of messages with his wife, and I've chatted a little with his daughter. They listened to the podcast and they both said they would try to convince Michael to talk, but so far that hasn't happened. I also offered to drive up there and talk to him in person, but that hasn't happened either. Michael's daughter said he's just a really private person, and this is what his wife said. I'm going to be completely honest with you. Michael doesn't do people at all, well new people, and I guess I would be a new person. The couple just celebrated their thirtieth wedding anniversary, and his wife told me that to this day she has still never asked Michael what happened that night. She did say that their kids have been harassed because of the publicity from the case, and if that's true, that's really unfortunate. But no, I mean I have to say that after all this, I still don't really have a good answer for you about the slash tire. What I do have and what I'm going to leave you with for now is Lauren.
Speaker 3: When I heard what happened to her, I mean, it's never left my head.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: Lauren was somebody who loved Kelly way before any of this, and who's never been able to shake Kelly's memory.
Speaker 3: It's just one of those things that just sticks with you and you just wonder all the time what happened to her and she stuff for you know, all that, and I just walking my dog at night, I always think of her, you know.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean it's been a long time too, it really has.
Speaker 3: It just doesn't go away though.
Speaker 1: Next time on Deviltown, We're headed back to Gilmour. Deviltown is a free range production and association with Imperative Entertainment. The show is created by me Wes Ferguson. This episode was produced by Aslan Gaddis, music by Robert Ellis. To keep up with us, check out our free newsletter at Unforgotten pod dot com. As always, thank you for listening.