Speaker 1: Jededie first forty one to four cast hot day today, of course ninety three for the high heat index above one hundred. Opportunity to some pop up afternoon storms. They see best chances between one pm and eight pm APMs, when the heat advisor is set to end. We're going to go overnight low of seventy four, just a slight chance of storms. Tomorrow's high in ninety two with some afternoon pop up storms a possibility. Clear of a night very muggy though, seventy four for the low, and I have ninety four on Friday again with isolated storms in the afternoon a possibility. It's seventy seven degrees now. Time for traffic from.
Speaker 2: The U see tramphing center.
Speaker 3: You see how to go find comprehensive care that's so personal it makes your best tomorrow possible. That's boundless care for vetter outcomes, expect more. Do you see how dot com He spent two seventy five shut down at Hamilton Avenue, traffic backing up to cold rain because of an accident near Winton. The weft lanes are blocked near the accident seen on westbound two seventy five, northbound seventy five. There's now an accident above Gabert that's banking trapping past the lateral. Chuck King ram on fifty five krs, the talk station.
Speaker 1: Seven thirty one, I think about KARSD talk station Happy Wednesday, Don on any Americans for Prosperity returns and the Senate in a state of Ohio release its budget proposals, So we're going to dive on into that. Welcome back, Don. It's always good having you on the show, Brian.
Speaker 2: Always a pleasure to be with you. Thanks for having me.
Speaker 1: Well, it's something you and the folks in Americans for Prosperity were working on is lowering the state income tax. And I guess you got at least part of what you're looking for. Anybody making over twenty six fifty one dollars will pay a flat two point seventy five percent, which some are calling a discount for those making a whole lot of money. People used to used to pay I guess three and a half percent over one hundred thousand dollars. They've eliminated that to go with the flat tax. I'm sure you're you're happy about that.
Speaker 4: Well, yeah, getting Ohio to a flat tax is a critical first step to getting Ohio to a zero percent income tax, and that's been our long stated goal. Getting to making this leap happen at this time in this state budget is critical to that long term objective, and so we're thrilled that in the conference committee reports, nothing's grant nothing's taken for granted here, but the Conference Committee of both the House and the Senate Finance Committee leadership saul right to keep this in the final conference report that they'll send to the floor of both chambers today ultimately go to the governor.
Speaker 2: And this is big for the state of.
Speaker 1: Ohio well, and obviously makes this more competitive. Some states don't have any income tax, and you know, you look at I believe of what Texas, Florida, it's a huge draw for businesses and others who are trying to get away from heavy taxation. So I understand the point how much money. I'm sure there are people who were objecting to this discount, but moving from three point five percent over one hundred thousand do to two point seventy five percent, how much money will the state not be taking and what does that equal to in terms of millions or billions of dollars? As the case may be in less generated revenue.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I think what we've seen from the Legislative Service analysis and what our Democrat progressive friends have been yelling out is one point six billion dollars unless revenue at the state will collect.
Speaker 2: But here's the interesting thing.
Speaker 4: We've gone over the last decade from nine tax brackets with the top marginal rate of four point ninety nine percent down to where we are currently today with two brackets top rate of three point five percent. In that same period of time, we've seen our revenues on both income and sales tax increase to the tune of about four or five billion dollars. This isn't surprising stuff, Brian, right. We see this happen on a federal level when the tax cuts were enacted twenty seventeen, When the Reagan tax cuts were enacted in the eighties, people had more money. They put that money into the economy. The government found its way into our pockets one way or another. But we do it not by having that money go to Washington or Columbus and be redistributed by the bureaucrats. We have that money invested into our communities, our states, our businesses, our families, our homes, our properties. That then enables right these low flat, broad based taxes to collect those revenues and fund the essential services that we need. We're just letting the people decide where they're going to spend their money, not the bureaucrats.
Speaker 1: Well, and that's always a good thing from my perspective, and one point six billion it doesn't.
Speaker 2: I don't look at that.
Speaker 1: As a sizable figure, particularly noting that the budget does include one point seven billion in unclaimed funds to fund a sports and cultural and various sports and cultural projects, so they can throw that money out of the world give six hundred million dollars to the Browns, which really just frankly and directly pisses me off. I don't think one can complain about one point six billion dollars less going into Columbus.
Speaker 4: Well, no, and I think we're the complaints come from a one point six billion is they want to find new and expanded ways to spend money. Here's another thing that's important what we're doing on this budget. And the final numbers from the conference report aren't available yet, and the appropriations we'll see those soon enough. But the Governor, with the Senate and House ultimately did was trim back the governor's spending proposals by about five five and a half billion dollars. We're still growing the state government here in Ohio by about I think seven or eight billion, give or take, and we're doing that off of already what I would say are inflated.
Speaker 2: Numbers coming out of COVID.
Speaker 4: Right, there were large cash infusions from the federal government that caused our budget to balloon tens of billions of dollars over the last couple of buyenniums, and we're not raining some of that in So the key thing here is we've expanded government over the last couple of buy aenems due to these cash infusions from the federal government, and we're continuing to budget in a way that grows are spending.
Speaker 2: Senate trimmed some.
Speaker 4: Of that back, but we really need to be restrained going forward in our growth in.
Speaker 2: The way we spend money.
Speaker 4: Ultimately, is going to take a governor who says I want a flat budget or I'm going to really, you know, take some heavy cuts to what the state government's doing.
Speaker 2: But we'll get to that, you know, in the coming months. In years, it's.
Speaker 1: Gonna say we don't have one of those right now, Donald the neil hold On will bring it back and talking about some other elements involved in the state budget. More with Americans for Prosperity Dona Anil after I mentioned affordable imaging services, speaking of money and ways to save heap loads of money. Exercise your right to choose where you get your medical care and don't go to the hospital imaging department. Hospitals own your physicians practice. That's usually the case these days. They want to keep the money in house. They're instructed their doctors are instructed to refer you to the hospital imaging department. We're an echo cardiogram, probably sit around for three weeks to a month waiting around to get the appointment. Thirty five hundred dollars or more is what you're going to pay separate bill perhaps for the board certified radio. I'll just report you need one of those. Don't go there. Five hundred dollars without an enhancement, eight hundred with an enhancement for an echo cardiogram at affordable imaging services. I've got my MRI as well as CT scans done at affordable imaging services. Yeah, expect low overhead, but see the same equipment that the hospitals are using, with professionals that have been doing this for decades operating in Every scan at Affordable Imaging comes with a board certified radiologist report in the in the payment structure four ninety five with no enhancement for an MRI instead of thirty five hundred bucks, talk about huge savings five grand for a CT scan at the hospital. No. Four point fifty with no contrast six hundred with the contrast, it's always worked out great for me. Tell them, I said, hi, when you stop in, save heap loads of money. Five one three seven five three eight thousand, five one three seven five three eight thousand online Affordable Medimaging dot com.
Speaker 2: Fifty five KRC.
Speaker 1: Here we gore channelnine first one of other four k asks. Gonna be a sunny day until it turns partly cloudy. They see pop up afternoon storms more likely between one pm and APM eight pm the end of the heat advisory justifiable ninety three for the high with a heat index they say around one hundred and four overnight down to seventy four. Just a slight chance of storms remaining tomorrow partly cloudy with pop up afternoon storms kind of like today ninety two for the high with an overnight lowes seventy four again and very muggy ninety four the high on Friday and again afternoon isolated storms could happen seventy seven degrees. Now, let's see what Chuck's got on traffic from the.
Speaker 2: U see on Traffic Center.
Speaker 3: You see health. You find comprehensive care that's so personal and make sure best tomorrow possible. That's boundless care for better outcomes. Expect more at you seehelp dot com. He spend two seventy five blocked off at Hamilton Avenue due to an early morning accident. The left lanes are blocked westbound two seventy five and Winton for that wreck having traffic east found on the Reagan Highway between Cold Rain and seventy five and northbound seventy. I I'm slow out of Saint Bernard to a wreck near Calbert set King Bramont fifty five KARCD talk station.
Speaker 1: Seven forty one Here fifty five KRCIT talk station Happy Wednesday. Judge Anena Paula tann are coming up in eight thirty and Brandon Nixon we Insidia. He is a Republican. He also is running for since a city council. The meantime from Americans for Prosperity Donald and Neil walking through some of the items in the budget which the Senate released here in the state of Ohio. Donovan, real quick, I got to bounce off your head, just get your initial reaction. We don't need to talk about it at length, but I had Greg Lasson for the Buck Institute talking about the proposal to amend the constitution to eliminate the property tax and the complication, the myriad complications that will arise if that, in fact happens. Has Americans for Prosperity taken a position on that particular initiative, just real quick.
Speaker 4: We haven't taken an official position on it, but I think what the folks who are advocating for that, I think we were fellow travels with that right.
Speaker 2: We are taxed enough already.
Speaker 4: We need to do something about this, as Greg and others will point out, and we sort of recognize as well, it's not as simple as just the limits and property taxes. But what I think is important in that what that's doing and the folks who have who're circling with petitions and doing that work or doing is it's raising the specter of this in Columbus. It is something that's talked about in all corners of tap Square, and you know, folks want to see something happen here or else. I think there's a very real reality that goes on the ballot and who knows what happens after that.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, the work that they'll have to do to unring or to deal with the aftermath of that, and how things are funded, it's just going to be a nightmare scenario, that's what might. It makes me laugh every time I think about it. Those guys haven't done jack squat to address the problem, and now they're facing I mean, it's like they're facing the end of a gun here to their head with this initiative coming up on the ballot. So anyhow, I'm sure you and I'll have further discussions about that, but I know funding was something that's in the state budget. Talk about what you saw in the Senate bill.
Speaker 4: Well, yeah, And it's interesting Hollywood, Washington, d C. And state capitals are the only places where you know, fantasy can become reality, and it's fantasy here really.
Speaker 2: Brand is school districts.
Speaker 4: School boards, the teachers unions in particular complaining about an increase and their funding. They're arguing, right that they that what they thought they were going to get was lower than what they got and hence that's a cut. Really is state of Ohio spending more and more on education every by aneum. It's a you know, from both the state share. And then going back to property taxes. The reason one of the major reasons our property taxes are as high as they are is because the various tactics and tools that the school boards across the state use to sort of increase unvoted put unvoted tax increases on property owners in the state. And so we want money to go to education. We think parents, families should be able to choose how to spend those dollars. They're the ones best equipped to keep the system accountable and honest and get the best outcomes education. Seeing an increase in this budget, that's a good thing. Some of the proposals by the Senate to increase performance on that, I think are what we really need. Right we hear folks like the vig Ramaswami talk about we need to get better outcomes in our station. I think We're still a ways off from that that being done. But you know, to our friends and family who are in the education space who are saying that the world is crumbling and education is underfunded. In the state, education is seeing an increase in funding in this budget, maybe just not as much as our friends at the Ohio Education Association the OEA Teachers Union would like it to be.
Speaker 1: Well, this is something else that Greg Lawston for the Buck Institute brought up. You know, state dollars, like federal dollars, come with strings attached. So if you're getting education dollars from Columbus, they can require performance standards for example.
Speaker 2: Right, that's right, Well, that's right. Well, and that's the other.
Speaker 4: Part of it, right is you talk again, This all wines back to property taxes and the thirty nine hundred plus political subdivisions that exist in the state, but specifically on education. These folks want the money without the strength right now. They want all the reward without any other risk or the accountability that comes with it. And that's a problem we've in. Any time lawmakers begin to kind of Columbus push on that in a good way, they get slapped back down because every one of these school boards. Right, six hundred school boards each with what five to seven members? Right, that's a couple thousand lobbyists right there. Add in the teachers' unions and they're paid folks, that's another couple thousand lobbyists descending on the state House. We need to push back against these folks harder and harder if we're going to actually get the accountability and reform we deserve.
Speaker 1: Exactly putting myself in a position of elected capacity, either as a senator or a representative. You know, my response to those people knocking on my door demanding more money and no account on ability. My dad sold phrase, I got two words for you, and it ain't happy birthday. How come these people are in capable of just saying no, get the hell out of my office.
Speaker 4: Well, I think we begin to I think what we're seeing is a beginning, that beginning in that cultural shift.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 4: You have decades of folks just being told yes that when you begin to tell them no, it.
Speaker 2: You know, it's it's a shock, it's a it's a it's a.
Speaker 4: Tectonic plate shift here, right, And I think what we're beginning to see is that shift. What again, what I think it ultimately takes. And this is where as an organization, we have a little bit of a long view on a lot of this stuff, right, So we look for these minor these these cultural shifts where the cruise ship is turning, the big cruise ship is turning. We've got the right folks in the legislature who are willing to say those things, to make those to make those reforms, introduce those reforms, talk about those reforms. I think in a lot of ways, what we really need is as an executive who's going to also drive that mandate.
Speaker 1: Right, ramis Slammy Viva Ramaswami looking forward to the days when we have him in office, when he'll embrace this stuff all day long. Donovan, I'm going to hold you over for one more segment because it looks like we have some really good news on regulatory reform. I like what I'm reading here and I want you explain it to my listeners. Seven forty seven. But you have have KCD Talk Station Quick positive words for a positive place, Kay to Heaven Catholic Cemetery of Montgomery honoring life on sacred ground and it's an inviting, welcoming place. So if you're looking for a parklike environment where you might want to consider life its meaning from beginning to end. Maybe visit your loved ones who might have that as their final resting place, a place where you, maybe the considers your final resting place. It is gorgeous, absolutely gorgeous, and you know the compassionate staff approaches every service and every visitor with warmth and dignity and profound deep respect, treating every individual as they would their own. It's a sanctuary place set apart for prayer, healing and honoring the legacy of life. So learn more information and walk on in. You'll love the setting. Gate Offeaven dot org is where you learn more. Gate of Heaven dot.
Speaker 2: Org fifty five KRC.
Speaker 1: John and I first one to we whole Cask. Got a sunny day to day until it gets cloudy. Pop Up afternoon storms are likely or possible between one and eight pm ninety three the high with a north of one hundred heat index. Heat advisory ends at eight pm. Overnight low is seventy four ninety two to the high tomorrow, with again pop up storms in the afternoon eight possibility seventy four and muggy overnight and Friday high in ninety four and afternoon isolated storms could happen again seventy eight.
Speaker 2: Right now, time for traffic.
Speaker 3: From the UC Traffic Center. At you see Health, you'll find comprehensive care that's so personal it makes your best tomorrow possible. That's boundless care for better outcomes. Expect more at you see holp dot com. He spend two seventy five is shut down at Hamilton Avenue due to an early morning wreck.
Speaker 2: Traffic pack's the coal ring.
Speaker 3: Left lanes are blocked westbound two seventy five at Went and for that same wreck, northbound seventy five slow above seventy four into Lockmann as a wreck above Gabret Chucking, Vermont, fifty five krs the talk station.
Speaker 1: Seven fifty Coming up in seven fifty one fifty five KRCD talk station, enjoying our conversation with Donald and Neil, learning a bit of a little bit about what's in the Senate proposed budget coming out just came out today. Moving over to regulatory form, Donovan, this appears like a good thing to me.
Speaker 4: Yeah, actually really excited to see this included in this this final Conference Committee report that'll be voted on later today. With the floor of the House and the Senate. We've been talking about the Rains Act before. Yeah, they need to continue to strengthen regulatory reform. It appears got to have the lawyers and the policy folks take a take a look at it with the fine Tooth compan It appears like many of the provisions of the Rains Act, as well as some strengthening on what we call guidance I think called guidance documents that agencies put out, has been included in this budget.
Speaker 2: It's pretty interesting stuff.
Speaker 1: Well, in the proposed rule says that any any proposed rule, these would be the regulations that come out from some unnamed, unelected fishial in the back room that cost taxpayers or businesses over one hundred thousand dollars or have more than one million dollars in overall economic impact. They got to do a detailed cost analysis now for every rule and to the extent it has that economic impact at that monetary level, it can be paused, it can be rejected, or it goes to the full General Assembly for approval. So the General Assembly actually has to vote on something that's going to have that that that economic impact.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and that's that's incredibly transformational that it is exact kind of stuff we're talking about right where right now, jcart does a phenomenal job providing scrutiny to all the rules and regulations that the executive agencies are putting out. But what we've asked for right and what the rains Acts does is it has an extra layer scrutiny to those things, those items that you just pointed.
Speaker 2: Out there by requiring go.
Speaker 4: To the full General Assembly. Now there's a couple of different pathways there. We want to make sure that you know, there's not some sort of default if the j car doesn't sort of keep his hand on the steering wheel here, that the rule can just go into place. But what it appears to do is say that if it if it triggers or goes over that one hundred thousand or one million dollars on economic drag impact, that it goes to the General Assembly, and it has to be the General asembly has to approve that rule. That'd be transformational for the state of Ohio and really begin to stop and stem the tide of proliferation we're seeing in new rules occurring here in the state of Ohio.
Speaker 1: One might argue that's probably the most important provision in this budget proposal. They're going to vote on it today you say, yeah, later this afternoon, they'll they'll be voting. Here's here's another one I want to point out as well, that's in there. So one of the things we found and actually you mentioned the VEG Gramaswami he joined us for a telephone town hall last week talking about these provisions red Tape Production and Regulatory Reform.
Speaker 4: And RAINS Act. There are these nasty little things that are beginning to pop up. So as agencies remove rules, do two or one in two out type provisions cut by thirty percent, what they do is they'll they'll go to the agency and say we cut all these rules. But then what they do are these guidance documents, these sort of you know, secret not so secret documents that they'll whip out whenever they choose to sort of enforce things that that are those rules that they said they got rid of, but just in a different form that allows them to sort of circumvent what they're supposed to do. In this language here, they're going to actually begin to have a greater scrutiny and make sure that j CAR will have the ability to make sure that these executive agencies don't create these rules in other obtuse ways, like through guidance documents. It's a powerful sort of tool to reign in these bureaucrafts.
Speaker 1: The guidance document sounds like an advisory opinion kind of thing.
Speaker 4: You know, Yeah, they talked about them. These these things are just you know, they'll find any way, right, the bureaucrats will find any way.
Speaker 1: To do what they do best. That doesn't sound like it has any teeth. I mean, I'm going back to my dad's comment about I got two words for it ain't happy birthday. Someone can offer me a guidance opinion, and I can say, you know what, I'm going to go a different direction than your guidance suggests I go. I mean, what ramifications could possibly come about from that?
Speaker 4: Well, so just to be clear, this is what the bureaucrats are doing. They're doing to get that and what the language is trying to do is kind of snuff that out and say no, no, no. When you said you got rid of the rule or the regulation, you don't get to bring that rule or regulation back through some other form or function. Well, and bully businesses in the state of Ohio. You got rid of that rule. That rule does not exist. You don't get to do it. You don't get a bully businesses anymore bureaucrats. If you want to impose a new rule, you come to us and say you want to do it in the legislature. Prove or deny that.
Speaker 1: I was just trying to understand how it practically works. If the rule has been abolished, then you can offer a guidance that goes by the way of the rule that was abolished, and I can feel free to say, go to hell, I'm not following it because it's no longer a rule. But practically speaking, I guess you know it goes on anyhow without a doubt.
Speaker 4: And the problem, as you can imagine, right is it's the business owner having to push back against you know, the state EPE and the stated EPA's word, and that's going to cost you time and money. Even if you're a business who's in the right, that's time and money. Let's just knock that stuff out in the first Placemen don't have to deal with it.
Speaker 1: I understand the practical area implications behind fighting this system. I'm just appreciative that at least some people are in a position to fight the system. Donovan and Neil Americans for prosperity. God bless you and the work that you and the team do each and every day on behalf of the Ohio taxpayer. I'll look forward to another conversation with you and hopefully more good news like this regulatory form going through seven fifty six fifty five cares of the talk station. Brandon Nixon, a Republican, another one running for since City Council, is going to be in studio for the next segment, followed by Judge Anapolitano, who's defending Massy and talking about the coming state Police.
Speaker 2: That'll be a thirty stick around you will be called the twelve Day War. I suppose that's what we were nicknaming it already. Another update at the top of the hour, the use of military force. Fifty five peers the talk station