Speaker 1: It could be the final day of the NBA season. If for doing Elton John, I'm gonna need a little tiny dance And I know it's cliche, but we need.
Speaker 2: A little almost famous vibe.
Speaker 1: On the show Today it could be the final day of the pro basketball season as Oklahoma City is looking to eliminate the Indiana Pacers tonight. The Pacers just took the floor eight minutes ago for their pregame walkthrough, and during that walk through, the status of Tyreese Halliburton will be determined by the medical staff.
Speaker 2: We probably won't know until Tip.
Speaker 1: Live in studio injury experts, among other things, Chris Cameronnie, I always get a kick out of guys in our business when there's like an injured player who just played doctor on air or on TV. Strain calf could lead to a torn achilles, all the things.
Speaker 2: Do you have any is that what he's doing? Yeah, strain calf.
Speaker 1: Do you have any hot medical takes for us on tyrees Slliburton's status.
Speaker 3: Well, I've heard that a strained calf can lead to an achilles.
Speaker 1: That's the take today. I've heard that twenty five times today.
Speaker 3: People are probably just lazy and assuming that a strained calf that Kevin Durant suffered six or seven years ago in the finals that led to a torn achilles could potentially do the same thing. I know there is a correlation, so you can't discount that.
Speaker 2: Sure, sure, but.
Speaker 3: My Haliburton take is the Pacers probably need Haliburton to win game six.
Speaker 2: Good take, good take, good take.
Speaker 3: Is it gonna happen?
Speaker 2: I don't think so. I mean, I picked Oklahoma City in five.
Speaker 1: It's it's a historic season when you look at the metrics, and you know me, I'm a data guy, analytics, let's get into it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, their net was plus thirteen.
Speaker 3: What about their PR?
Speaker 1: The PR is a little bit dated TK Okay, so you know, okay, yeah, God, God blessed John Hollinger. Okay, but the PR is a little bit dated. Have you ever been aggregated, by the way.
Speaker 3: Yes, but not for like online stuff, more just stories I got. I got aggregated up the wazoo when I went and hung out with stone Cold Steve Austin, because like he doesn't give a lot of interviews.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So all of the wrestling blog websites aggregated a lot of my stuff, and one of my colleagues. Chris Vanini, national writer at The Athletic, is a huge wrestling fan, and he was like, Dude, this aggregated tweet has like over like a thousand retweets in like an hour, and it was just basically somebody rewriting the most interesting things that Steve told me in our interview.
Speaker 1: Well, someone who doesn't frequent wrestling blogs, I guess that's why I was unaware that you were aggregated for Stone Cold. You have, over the course of your career doing this. How long have you been doing this in media? Thirteen fourteen, thirteen years. You've interviewed a lot of really fascinating characters. And one of the things I like about your work is you really do think out of the box. So I've heard cliche things say, is there one that stands out? Like instantly, if I say to you, most interesting conversation you've ever had in your life as a journalist is the record?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Is there one that stands out if we're talking on the record, honestly, it might be recency biased, but it might be my days in Hawaii? What's your right?
Speaker 1: Like?
Speaker 3: Honestly, like just because for about forty eight hours Trevor and I were basically on the record driving around the Big Island about anything from the University of Utah football recruiting to Dion Sanders to visiting the Middle East and how you go about making sure you don't have any cultural you know, misguided mis cues all those things. Yeah. I mean, my my brain's been fried since becoming a parent, so I'll go recency biases definitely, Trevor. But there there are there are other ones. I mean even last year Steve's up there. There's a lot of them. Man, I'm gonna have to circle.
Speaker 2: Back to.
Speaker 3: Ye was really good. Yeah. Yeah, Sometimes people are interesting. Sometimes their stories are more interesting. Like a few years ago, I went out to Colorado to do a story on Trey McBride, who is second. You know, he was the second round pick of the Cardinals and now he's one of the highest paid tight I think he is the highest paid tight end in the NFL. Went to Colorado State and he he was raised by two moms, and that that I don't really don't really have a lot of historical context for NFL players who were raised by two moms. So I went out there and spent two days with them. And got to hang out at their house, go with them while they did meals on wheels and all the stuff, and it was very very cool. So there are interesting people and then there are people who have very very cool stories. So sure there's a lot. I'm gonna have to circle back because my brain is a little mushy since you.
Speaker 1: Know, when my phone rings and it's Trevor, Yeah, I go, okay, here we go.
Speaker 2: What's what's there?
Speaker 3: Happened?
Speaker 1: Because you dude, you never know ever, Like truly, I cannot predict what's about to happen, and every conversation includes some wild twist and turn. Where are you at? What are you doing for work? You know, Like I can't say what he told me as far as what he's going to do next the last time I talked to him, but it's a completely different thing than what he's been doing.
Speaker 3: It's it's interesting, like the people like that. A lot of most people would assume that they're usually bloviating or more often than not, stretching the truth. But in my time with Trevor, everything that sounded too good to be true actually was true. There's a lot of people that are like that. Some people are just very good storytellers. Some people have very interesting lived life experience, so it's like, yeah, I mean, I know Trevor had a very interesting lived experience working for Deon Sanders, but like the guy got into physical altercation with his assistant coach, like it was caught on video and like Warren Sapp is narrating it, Like I appreciate people like Trevor who are a DIMA doesn't in the sports in the sports world because he doesn't necessarily have time for the he what's the word, like, he doesn't necessarily like cow taw to what most people expect to be like the norm in that he's just going to tell you the truth and what happened, and he's not gonna like maybe you know, what's the word I'm looking for here. He's just going to tell you what happened, and that's you generally, what happened. He's just yeah, I mean, like he told me that. You know back in the day, you know, Utah's sids were always like shaking in their boots anytime Trevor was requested to talk as a player, because Trevor was just gonna be like, yeah, UCLA's quarterback sucks, right, Yeah, And it's just like, you don't get guys like that in this industry really ever, so when you get them, you have to appreciate what they can offer for you.
Speaker 1: Well, it's a dream for people like us because what it's turned.
Speaker 3: Into because he sorry to interrupted, because he doesn't expect any sort of reciprocation, which is which is maybe where you were going in this day and age where it's kind of like scratch my backs, I'll scratch yours, which is not how my job goes. And I mean Trevor's proman. He played in the NFL for like six years. He played here. He knows how it goes. Whereas a lot of people who either make it to that level or even don't generally are operating in a realm of may maybe mistrust because it's it's not easy to trust people that you don't know that well or entrust them with your story or your word. But Trevor is the type of person that will just tell you and move on like he's not thinking about it. As soon as I filed my story. It wasn't one of those things where it's like, oh, I wonder if Trevor's going to be pissed about what's in the story. Yeah, it was like the next time I heard from him, it wasn't even like you even talk about it.
Speaker 1: He probably wasn't even on his radar, correct, right? Who would play Trevor in the biopic Chris Pratt? No?
Speaker 3: God, no, come on, how dare you?
Speaker 1: I just try to think of like action because I alway used to kill Trevor Bigg.
Speaker 2: Trevor and I.
Speaker 1: Did a ton of radio back in the day together, a lot of pref and post game football, uh, you know, for both Utah and BYU. And he would roll in studio for an hour at the old station, and he still rolls in here when he's in town. And he would tell me these stories off air that were so wild yet to your point true that they actually happened. And I started telling I'm like, you're Batman, dude, Like you're a real life bat You're the real life Batman. It's it's wild to consider all the nutty things our guy has really got himself into.
Speaker 3: The problem is is guys who are funny generally aren't six or five. Keanu Reeves, Yeah, Kian is not funny enough, like was like stoner funny, like this built head we're gonna have to circle back on let's take let's table, let's table it. I like that, right, it might come to me.
Speaker 1: But what I was gonna say is the reason Trevor is such a breath of fresh air. And I don't really know when to pinpoint this as far as when it happened, but like I have stopped following athletes on social media, like I don't need to follow Steph where it's like all right, game time, or Donovan like Cavot, Like, you don't get anything interesting from most of these athletes.
Speaker 2: Now that's not a blanket statement. That's true for all of them.
Speaker 1: But whether it's a coach or a player sitting down with a journalist like you, doing an interview with a radio host like me, or addressing the media post game, it's rare that you get something that is anything other than boiler plate cliche, walk the company line.
Speaker 3: But you know why that is.
Speaker 2: But it didn't used to be that way.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean it used to be that beat writers reporters were entrusted with the word of the athlete because there wasn't social media. The Internet really hadn't taken off. And even like within the last I would say, the last five to seven years, that's changed. Even as Twitter started, you were still you still hadn't seen the marketing, the monits monetization of the social media platforms my story and my own words. And that's fine. You I don't necessarily get frustrated that athletes no longer give give the scoop to you know, a writer. A lot of these guys are writing the players tribune stuff, and oftentimes they're they're very very good. Sometimes you know, they come on the fourth of July in consecutive years. Sometimes you know, your Fourth of July is ruined and key time Gordon too big, but we need to bring back a little too big, Yeah we do. But yeah, it that that that is a reality check topic.
Speaker 2: I like that.
Speaker 3: We could we could spend hours and hours on that.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's just interesting and consider any other So Trevor Riley certainly good answer the question from a local standpoint.
Speaker 2: I mean, I don't mean to butter you up. You're very good at your job.
Speaker 1: So you get good things from Kyle when you sit down with Kyle. You get good things from you know, our local players and coaches when you have access to them. Is there any other whether it's Jazz or BYU or even RSL or the University of Utah. Any other notable interviews or stories you've done that really stand out, or characters kind of like in the elk of Trev.
Speaker 3: Quinn's The Quinn Profile. I did. I think the year after it was not the year that they beat Okay, see when they had Paul George and Russ and Carmelos the year after, so they were still kind of on their upward trajectory.
Speaker 1: The reason you know that so well is because Ricky Rubio played for the jazz and.
Speaker 2: Pop people confused me for you. Sorry, man, you just look like it when.
Speaker 3: I when I would go to the ZBBC, fans were waiting outside asking for interviews, and one time somebody like basically almost stepped out in front of my crappy rusty Sue Brew and it was.
Speaker 1: Like Ricky and I was like, come on, man, didn't you have a Rubio kit?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 3: I was gifted a Rubio kit.
Speaker 1: Yeah do you want? I mean, you know who gave it to me? I would guess it was fault. It's not Antonio Daniel's Vancouver kid. But oh, by the way, real quick, before you continue Trav had no frame of reference. We were talking about because we we're gonna play wassats soon, whether you know we're gonna get up and.
Speaker 3: Was, yeah, you didn't respond to the text.
Speaker 2: I had a busy couple of days. But okay, I had a busy couple of days. But so I was.
Speaker 1: I was talking to Trav about it because Trav was doing the finals and for our listeners, Travis Heenderson, the supremely talented executive producer of Jazz Broadcast Games, is currently broadcast in the NBA Finals.
Speaker 2: Our guy could do what he does.
Speaker 1: Like, people at our market don't know how talented Travis Sanderson is. Like, he is a gem to have here. So he's currently doing the finals. But we're going back and forth about our wash at weekend, and he didn't know the antonio. He didn't know the context. He's like, is he gonna wear that antonio? Daniel Daniel Jersey again. I'm like probably, Like he's like, where did he get that? I'm like your boy over here. It's a great story too. It's a great story. I can't believe you found it in such good condition.
Speaker 3: Yeah, like it's I mean, it's got to be at least twenty years old and it fits you. It's great, Like, like I said, it's in great condition. It's on a hangar in my closet.
Speaker 2: That a guy.
Speaker 1: It was literally the only one online. I did a bunch of eBay. It was eBay. Yeah, I found it on eBay. But for our listeners, ck, you were in studio with Amy, I think, yeah. It was during COVID, during COVID, so stuff was weird. Yeah, yeah, we both had man buns.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and we were You talked about like I dropped like in Antonio Daniel's reference, and you were like, if you can name the first team that Antonio Daniels played for, I'll give you a hundred bucks. And I was like, if I can name him, I'll take a jersey. And then that's close?
Speaker 2: Was it?
Speaker 1: So? What happened was No, you brought up the fact Jazz fans were mad that Antonio Daniels had something critical to say about Donovan's and my thing was like, why do we care what Antonio Daniel says? And I said to the two of you, if you can name the team that drafted Antonio Daniels, I'll give you one thousand dollars.
Speaker 2: That's how convinced I was you weren gonna be able to do I should have taken there, and you didn't.
Speaker 1: Even pump fake boom Vancouver Grizzlies. And then because you're a gentleman, you said, I will accept an Antonio Daniel's jersey instead of a thousand dollars.
Speaker 3: It's the best jersey in the history of the NBA. It's a great jersey and segue. Antonio Daniels also played for the Seattle SuperSonics. He did, who once upon a time where the Seattle SuperSonics before they were the Oklahoma City Thunder.
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, yes he did.
Speaker 1: Since you brought that up real quick, we got a couple of minutes here in this segment before we break. I think the NBA is going to approve expansion this year. Really, I think in the off season. I don't know this to be true, but the more and more I read into it, the more and more I talk to people, there's a lot of momentum to get a team back in Seattle and then have one in Las Vegas.
Speaker 2: I think that is going to be approved this offseason. Now.
Speaker 1: The undercurrent of the Vegas team is that Lebron wants to be an owner, and so a lot of people believe that Adam Silver is kind of brokering that deal behind the scenes. And Lebron has one year left on his contract. He got his kid a job in the league, so I think he's probably ready to step aside, and and then he'll probably be the face of the Vegas NBA franchise. I don't know what the Seattle situation is going to look like, but it was announced yesterday ck that the La Lakers were sold. And when you dig into this, and then you look at the new owners in Dallas, and you look at the new owners in Phoenix, Ishpia, and potentially Lebron and his crew in Vegas with deep pocketed investors, and I would imagine plenty of titans of industry up in Seattle. So whoever gets that organization. The reason I'm bringing it up is the Lakers were sold to a gentleman who currently owns the.
Speaker 2: Dodgers, and man, where's his name here?
Speaker 3: Mark Walter?
Speaker 1: Mark Walter, thank you? So Mark Walter is currently the owner of the Dodgers. He tried to buy the Clippers, he was outbid by Steve Balmer. Steve Balmer has a net worth of one hundred and thirty billion dollars. This Mark Walter Gentleman allegedly or reportedly has a network that is in that cul de sac one hundred and thirty billion dollars. The money that's coming into Like, I don't know Qualtricks financials.
Speaker 2: When Ryan bought the team, the number I saw was.
Speaker 3: Do wasn't it well less than two?
Speaker 1: I think Qualtricks the Qualtrics valuation I think was twenty twenty four billion.
Speaker 3: About the Jazz sale.
Speaker 1: The Jazz sale, Ryan paid eight hundred million for it. And then I think with investors, let's see porter, will you look up what Ryan bought the Jazz war please? So I think it was approaching to it was over one, right, so one point four one point five maybe closer to the two.
Speaker 2: Ryan himself wrote a check for eight hundred million.
Speaker 1: And again I don't really know the financials of Qualtrics or Ryan, but Ryan, his brother, his dad at the time, moved tragically has passed, and one of their business partners I believe, split it four ways. Obviously Ryan has investors other than his own bank account. But there's this movement and momentum in the NBA now where even if you have five six billion dollars. One point six billion dollars was the price tech like when so Ryan put up half of that. So when Ryan took over the team, the narrative was, well, Okay, we've got a tech rich bro that has deeper pockets than the Millers. I don't know if that's the case anymore. Like there's a world now where Ryan is no longer this guy that has such deep pockets, Like, if there are one hundred and thirty billion dollars, you'll pay whatever you want to for your NBA team. I mean, Mark, the guy that just bought the Lakers owns the Dodgers. Their payroll is one hundred and forty million dollars more than whoever is in second. I think it might be the Angels. The Yankees are actually in fourth. There's like this movement now where these guys have monopoly money and it might even make the playing field more uneven if they don't give a rip about luxury tax or second apron.
Speaker 3: Yeah. I don't know how much that affects the Jazz though, because at the end of the day, the Jazz are never going to outbid anybody for free agents. So like that that might affect the the New York, Chicago, Dallas, LA. Markets. Maybe it'll affect the Vegas market if that comes to fruition. But for Salt Egg, for the jazz, that's never going to affect the people working for them here because you have to be able to strike the lottery four or five times in a decade in order to build a contender. And I didn't mean. I didn't mean to use the word lottery in such a painful year for the jazz, So apologies for the jazz fans listening. But like I always, and it's lazy, but I always think of the Spurs, and I think of the Spurs after David Robinson, you think of I think, I think you have to get a you know, a top three pick or the first pick would be great. You get Tim Duncan, and then from there they build a dynasty out of a bunch of dudes that people either didn't rate, underrated, or just never really have even around. So it's doable. But I don't know how much monopoly money that billionaires are spending in larger markets will affect the team here.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's I mean, it's the right parallel to use, And I don't think it's lazy because I think it's the and it's a different league now, it's a different collective bargain agreement, so it's hard to draw a straight line. But what the Spurs did with that group should give jazz fans hope that in a city like Salt Lake, you can actually do it.
Speaker 3: I mean, but you could still, Like look at the Nuggets. The Nuggets drafted the best player in the world in the second round, second round player, so it's like it's still doable. You just yeah, it sounds reductive, but at the end of the day, all you have to do is get good.
Speaker 1: Somebody listens to the drive through Friday two to six, monod you nobly second round pick. Better known around here is a rich man's talon Horton Tucker. That's what I've heard. You got to stop sending me that kid's tweets, all right. ESPN seven hundred welcomes Nate Jackson to Kingsbury Hall November seventh, twenty twenty five. Tickets around sale. Now little known Spence checkets fact cek.
Speaker 2: You ready for it? Yeah, let's get his mike on.
Speaker 1: You're ready for a little known span It's Jackets. I just went third person twice.
Speaker 2: I never do that. Love Elton John, absolutely love Elton John.
Speaker 1: I saw Elton John and Billy Joel together Madison Square Garden. I don't know, maybe fifteen twenty years ago. One of the best shows I've ever seen.
Speaker 3: That's very cool. Yeah that so were they on a tour together?
Speaker 1: Was?
Speaker 3: Okay?
Speaker 2: No, they were on a tour together? Yeah?
Speaker 3: Yeah. My in laws went to Elton's last concert here. We had a bunch of friends go to Elton's concert. Last concert here. I bet he puts on a really good show.
Speaker 2: And I haven't seen it in fifteen years or so. Like how old is? How old would you guess Elton John is?
Speaker 3: Now, I'm going to guess. Porter's gonna fact check or you're gonna fact Check's go on, I'm going to go seventy four.
Speaker 1: Seventy eight. Oh, they're pretty close. So I don't know what sort of energy he has at this stage of his career. So I saw him when he was just.
Speaker 3: Like little kids? Man, does he Yeah? Okay, I feel like these old rich people are just say yeah, I feel like being a dad again.
Speaker 2: Dave Letterman.
Speaker 1: I listened to an interview with Dave Letterman and he was like, yeah, I've just started having kids.
Speaker 2: He's like in his seventies.
Speaker 3: No, Dave had a kid towards the tail end of his show, because I remember it was a big deal because he really didn't have kids until he was like in his fifties, and then he had like the heart thing. Because I was a Letterman guy. I remember it was a big deal that Dave Letterman had a kid.
Speaker 1: You are correct, Harry Letterman is twenty one years old. But then there was a gap, and I think he's had a couple more. Really, all right, Anyway, in this interview, Picasso potentially in this interview he was asked like, what are your regrets, and he said that I didn't become a father younger. So I don't know Elton's current kid situation, but I saw him on tour. Let's see, he probably was in his early sixties, So I don't know what energy he has in his late seventies, but I would imagine it's worth Awhile, I know he didn't write most of his songs, but it's.
Speaker 2: Just like I love his voice. The vibes are good, the vibes are great.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I would imagine that, like it is hard to have somebody like axcept the energy at Elton John concert for sure, unless somebody is maybe singing a little too loud. I think that's outside of talking in the movie theater. Being at a concert and having somebody close to you singing louder than the actual person singing to me is like nails on a chalkboard.
Speaker 2: You know. Another reason, yes, I agree with you.
Speaker 1: Another recent development of mine is and I noticed this went to a music festival. You were your shoes off? Of course, did you take a rug? Of course, obviously shoes off? Gummy, the whole thing really tighten, really tight at altogether. It was in Bridgeport, Connecticut. Dave and Timka right, little little camp, little father, John Misty, Oh naturally, let's see uh John Butler trio.
Speaker 3: Yeah for real?
Speaker 1: Wow, Yes, excellent poll, Little DAWs potentially randomly Goo Goo dolls, which pissed everybody off.
Speaker 3: Hey, oh no, no, Iris is a great song. Oh it is nuts vent listen, man, we're of different eras. That was probably the annoying song when you were in college, and for me it was the song that you wanted to dance with, dance with a girl too, in like eighth ninth grade. Okay, So like everybody has those songs man, where you're just like kind of like, ooh, I do I have the Cohons.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna hit you with this lineup and it's gonna be right on brand.
Speaker 3: Okay, I'm ready.
Speaker 2: This is why we went.
Speaker 1: Okay so sound on Sound Music Festival twenty twenty two, Luminears, Father John Misty head in the Heart, the National Band of Horses, Trampled by Turtles, Brandy Carlyle, Stevie Nicks was incredible.
Speaker 2: Zach Bryan. I actually saw Zach Bryan play.
Speaker 3: Not a country singer, according to our guy Porter Larson.
Speaker 2: Oh no, yeah, dude.
Speaker 1: I made the mistake of being like, dude, I found a new country and he was so mad at me.
Speaker 3: He's pop country.
Speaker 2: Okay, fair enough. The roots were there as well, so that was fun.
Speaker 1: But but what I realized is this is a young man's game, dude. Music festivals are a young man's game. Wait when was this twenty twenty two? But like, what time of your Sorry, it was summer, so it was hot humid. Yes, yes, Augusty, I believe what spf are you working with?
Speaker 2: Forty five? So my whole let's go down the spath.
Speaker 1: My sunscreen approaches this forty five fifty base fifteen spray with a little banana oil.
Speaker 2: Right, well, coconut oil. Your smells really nice.
Speaker 3: You're looking to get some some melanin in there.
Speaker 1: Oh look look at me, man, I mean you you ten instantly?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I need a minute. Yeah, okay, I need a couple of bits. Let's not yeah, bro, but we got to be careful with those burns. As long as you're hitting the dirm. You're wrong.
Speaker 2: We've been lied to have.
Speaker 3: We's good for you.
Speaker 2: Good for you.
Speaker 1: Now, don't take my word for it. Anyone listening wear sunscreen. Okay, don't be like, hey, I heard Spence said I should just get burned all the time. No, it's a slow burn, okay, and then eventually I tan and it's a good look. So that's my sunscreen approach to fifty bays.
Speaker 2: Then we go with the spray with about five.
Speaker 3: Ten fifteen banana oil. Wasn't ready for that.
Speaker 2: It smells so nice.
Speaker 3: Do you do that on the golf course? Oh yeah, okay yeah.
Speaker 1: In fact, next time you see our guy Gerald, he gives me a tremendous crap for it, because it attracts bees.
Speaker 3: Aren't you worried that it might like spill in your bag and then the spray I mean the oil.
Speaker 2: No, first of all, I keep it in the side pocket.
Speaker 3: Oh naturally.
Speaker 1: Would you like to know my golf bag set up? Yeah, outside pocket, two gloves usually new to make sure I'm good when I set up the bag, Take the glove out, put the keys in the wall in the outside pocket, inside pocket, sunscreen, CBD oil for the back. Yep, you know, vapor type vix rub for the shoulder. I'm an old man at this point, so I have to make sure my injuries are all taken care of. Upper right pocket, my green you know the tool used to fix the green?
Speaker 3: Oh, I have one?
Speaker 2: I know you do. Yeah, of course.
Speaker 1: Obviously my ballmarker, which is magnetic. That's to that what happened to a quarter? I have a couple of course in there, because Trey never has a ballmarker.
Speaker 3: Well, the guy from Happy Gilmore just picked it up. Good, good pull coming coming. The two two's coming this summer. Man like next month. It's gonna be bad, I know, but we can talk about it. I'm gonna interrupt you. We'll go back. Have you watched Stick on Apple TV.
Speaker 1: I have not own Wilson. There's it's it's Ted Lasso for golf.
Speaker 3: But but but Amanda is actually learning about golf, so they actually talk about golf. Okay, I think you thirty minute shows. I'm just throwing it out there. There's nothing else to watch. I get it. I get it. He to me, it's a little too wow, I get it.
Speaker 2: Yes, exactly.
Speaker 3: It's his his character Midnight in Paris. His best roles are in Wes Anderson movies historically. But the cast is good and the golf, the golf is good. So I would just recommend that. So back to your golf back well, no, okay, let me finish that. Then we'll go to the best own Wilson movies because we have to. Yeah, that's it's like a staple of you.
Speaker 2: Yeah. And it's also June.
Speaker 1: So if you want to rank Utah's wide receivers from the Pac twelve era, just calm down. So in the pocket with my tool and my ballmark. That's why I keep my teas Okay, pocket below that I have every potential tool that I would need to fix a club. So you have like a little screwdriver thing I've got a couple of rings in case fix club. You have to fix a club when you have a powerful athletic swing, Chris.
Speaker 3: Or when you break a club on the.
Speaker 1: Course unnecessary drop in And by the way, for the record, this year.
Speaker 2: It's no broken club.
Speaker 3: Okay, what's changed.
Speaker 1: The economic impact of breaking several clubs throughout the course of the season in this economy. I cannot say that I've had zero club throws, but I've had zero club breaks.
Speaker 3: What feels better letting go of a club in anger or swishing a three pointer?
Speaker 1: Oh, what a great question, because look, here's the bottom line. If you can keep yourself to under three club breaks a year, it sounds horrible. There's nothing more satisfying than breaking a club after the knee or I've been over the knee. There's nothing more satisfying than breaking like a wedge. So if you hit like a if you rope your drive and you're like ninety five yards after you chunk it, chunk it or scull it within it whatever, yep, Because a new wedge is like one hundred and ten bucks, and that's not expensive enough to dissuade me from the sand.
Speaker 3: They're pitching gap gap.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we're ninety five yards out. Oh, I know you do.
Speaker 1: And we'll get to your thoughts on the current tournament that's going on right now in the world of professional golf. But the problem is, one hundred and ten dollars is worth the price of how good it feels to break a wedge after you scull a little wedge, you know, after roping a drive. So if you can keep it to one or two club breaks a year, then you're actually doing okay. But the problem is a couple of seasons we were your boy over here, we're talking four or five club breaks.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I would imagine that a driver would be the easiest club to break.
Speaker 2: It is because it is.
Speaker 3: It's more less titanium steel or maybe I don't know, it's urban fiber.
Speaker 1: Look at you. It is easier to break. But the problem is that's a little more punitive. A new driver, you know, three hundred and fifty four hundred bucks, but a new wedge is like one hundred and ten dollars.
Speaker 2: So if you break a wedge, it feels so good.
Speaker 1: Now you're judged instantly by the group and people are probably like, I don't want to play with this dude.
Speaker 2: Like he's throwing clubs.
Speaker 3: You can you play golf with people who judge you?
Speaker 1: Well, I also play golf with other golfers who get angrier than I do, and I judge them, So therefore I know I'm being judged.
Speaker 3: Golf course seems to be a very therapeutic place.
Speaker 2: It is, Yeah, naturally it is.
Speaker 1: Let's see, we don't need to go over my club selection of my golf back. But that's the gist of it. I could survive in the wilderness. Oh et crin Okay, in the left pocket where the sunscreen.
Speaker 3: You talking excrin migraine or just playing exten plain et cetera.
Speaker 1: Now you're an expert. Is there a big difference? Yes, this is their difference in the caffeine boost Yes. Oh yeah. Should I get migraine?
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, unless you get a certain type of headache. But yes, it's always good to have et ceterrin migraine handy.
Speaker 2: Okay, they have it.
Speaker 3: They have a smaller bottle. It's like twenty pills. Okay, it's like six bucks. Okay.
Speaker 2: Back to the Owen Wilson.
Speaker 1: First of all, Dick just saying, okay, I'll check it out. An admission about why I'm somewhat anti Owen Wilson, and it's really not his fault. So Vince Vaughn had this like eight year run where nobody could match his ability to just basically ad lib and be really quick and really funny.
Speaker 3: Hot Route, Hot Route. You know, I don't.
Speaker 2: I was all state. I can put it wherever I want out here. Oh I hate you.
Speaker 1: So it's really not Owen Wilson's fault that in the movie Wedding Crashers, he tried really hard to do the Vince Vaughan ad lib thing and it never landed to me because he was going next, you know, tet or Toe with the Master.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know.
Speaker 1: So after that I became very anti Owen Wilson. But best Owen Wilson movie of all time is what.
Speaker 3: His best best movie or his best performance.
Speaker 2: Either We've got Midnight in Paris. I think it was a good movie.
Speaker 3: I think his best movie is Midnight in Paris.
Speaker 1: Got Grand Budapest, The West stuff? Is Darjeline's really good?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I would probably go best performance somewhere between Darjeeling and Royal.
Speaker 2: He was like, Royal is the answer? Yeah, I think so that's the answer.
Speaker 3: It was written in a sort of obsolete vernacular royalty answer.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well see, I knew we'd land on it. Wildcat rush He wasn't Rushmore, but very brief but bit part Rushmore, as it's well documented, is the best West movie period Starsky and Hutch.
Speaker 2: Was pretty good.
Speaker 1: Oh that is good one. Let's see Hall Pass was underrated. Funny, Yes, it's not the answer, no, but it was underrated. Funny yes, because today Becaus is funny too. All right, anyway, what are we doing? Let's uh no, easy transition, but this is what we do when you roll in the studio.
Speaker 2: Gold Cup.
Speaker 1: Yeah, tonight US men's national team taking on Saudi Arabi. I believe are we back after our dominant performance against the Trinida Trinidadians, Trinidad and Tobago, Tobago whatever?
Speaker 3: Are we back now? Are we so back? As the kids would say, We're not so back? I think it'll depend on the result tonight, the performance tonight. Locally, We'll see if your boy Poch deploys Diego Luna again. Who Luisan moon Man, who is basically you know, had a goal stolen from him on that shot, had an assist, seems to play very free and well in the system that Mauricio Pocatino likes to play. So I think Diego Luna plays better for the national team than he does for RSL because I feel like he's he has less on his shoulders, He's able to be more creative, that makes sense, and he's you know, playing with a higher caliber player across the board for the most part, are we back? I mean, five five goals on a bad Trinidad and Tobago team is a good start. Saudi Arabia is historically not a good team in Asia, so should it should be another win. I don't know if it will be an easy win, but it should be a win. I am. I'm enjoying. I don't know if you've been watching. I've been enjoying the Club World Cup.
Speaker 2: I was gonna ask you about MESSI scored.
Speaker 3: Right, yeah, and they beat They beat Porto, which is no small feet Yeah?
Speaker 2: Nothing, Yeah.
Speaker 3: I mean our former friends, former friends of the program, Danny Mussovski and Albert Rusnak are in the starting eleven for Seattle against against Athletico Madrid. It starts at four o'clock.
Speaker 2: So and then, oh, that's why you're looking at the clock.
Speaker 3: That's well, and then their next their last group game is PSG Seattle's So.
Speaker 1: Is it really Yeah? Mbape is in the hospital. He's not with the SG anymore anyway.
Speaker 3: No, he's with Madrid, but he's in the hospital here. He's in the hospital a cute gastro enteritis, which is I think basically like scientific terms for like neurovirus. So he might might have got the worst, the worst thing imaginable. No wish that on anybody.
Speaker 1: No, No, because I mean the NBA went through this weird phase where like they would sit players out with gastric distress. Yes, every time Jamal Tinsley went back to Brooklyn, he missed like three games with with like gastric distress.
Speaker 2: Like, no, he went home and got loose with his hommies. Yeah.
Speaker 1: So when I saw that, I was like, is that bad gas? But it certainly it's much more stressed. That must be so painful.
Speaker 3: I bet bad gas is probably like ninth on the list of all the bad things that he's currently dealing with.
Speaker 1: Are you good at understanding where the line is between bad gas and a heart attack? There have been days where I'm like, I'm having a heart attack. It's like, no, you're just plugged up.
Speaker 3: So this is great radio, So like we can talk, we can talk about this. One of my closest friends, he has a hard line of delineation between what is like a stomach ache and what is like gas. To him, a stomach.
Speaker 2: This is great. No, I love it.
Speaker 3: Stomach ache is feeling a little nauseous, okay. To him, he doesn't have time for the downtown stuff. It's more like is it is it?
Speaker 1: Is it?
Speaker 2: Yes?
Speaker 3: And I tend to agree with it. Yeah, so I can tell you anything and everything you want to know about stomach issues.
Speaker 2: Is it something you expecse? Yeah? Really? Oh yeah, like ever since you were a kid.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah.
Speaker 2: Are there certain food you have to avoid or else your I can't.
Speaker 3: I can't eat spice anymore. Spice spice. Yeah, it's not even like I can't even neat alpino.
Speaker 1: You're the one that introduced me to Afghan kitchen. You can't eat spice. So if you for me, if you grab some afghan, what's the order now.
Speaker 3: It's been a while. Everything spicy bari chicken chicken is spice. It's not, no, bro, it's not. I mean, maybe you can ask to ask to increase the spice level. I definitely don't.
Speaker 2: Well, you can choose your level of spice.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Oh, it's it's it's always a zero.
Speaker 2: A zero.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Is this a recent development the last ten years? Porter? How's your stomach with spy? Can you?
Speaker 3: He's a farm boy. I uh, I have a literal garbage disposal, Like I could eat rotting meat and I think my stomach would just be that cool.
Speaker 2: He's also like, what are you thirty yet?
Speaker 3: Barely?
Speaker 2: He's also a very young man.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I don't. I mean, I'm jealous of it.
Speaker 2: I am too.
Speaker 1: Anyway, Diego plays better for the US men's national team than he does for RSL, plays more free.
Speaker 2: Was Johnny Russell the missing piece all along?
Speaker 1: Johnny Golds our guy, Johnny Goles has taken a moniker from Johnny Mendes.
Speaker 3: Well, he's taken. He's taken the goals moniker from basically everyone else on the roster outside of Diego.
Speaker 2: Gozo has two has to listen.
Speaker 3: It does not bode I mean, it's it's a good development for RSL, but it does not bode well for the state of the talent, of the of the attacking talent on the roster, and I know a lot of them were gone, but they literally brought an old dude off the street and he scored a goal in like his third game, first start. Yeah, some stuff you can't teach. Johnny Russell has like almost seventy goals in MLS. So the dude knows how to find the back of the net. Might be old, it might be a little bigger.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 3: It will help having that voice in the locker room. But man, it does not speak well to the depth of the attacking talent on that team right now. But but Gozo, Gozo's been I think outside of Luna, Gozo's been the second best thing on this team this year.
Speaker 2: I would agree with that.
Speaker 1: And I think they've got something with him. Yeah, just graduated high school like two months ago, which is why.
Speaker 3: And a local kid, which is which is cool. Historically we've been known to develop, you know, defenders and midfielders. I guess we do have some kids, the the.
Speaker 2: The the sixteens or whatever.
Speaker 3: No, they're brothers who are playing in Europe, the Booth brothers that were from Eden. There, they're over there. They're attacking players. But yeah, it's it's cool that Xavier is actually like a Utah born for sure.
Speaker 1: For sure, Nick Romondo is inducted into the Ring of Honor, which now has Jason Chrice, Javier Morales and Nicky was the third. Surprised that we don't have our guy.
Speaker 3: I think I think he's I think I read somewhere that they're planning on doing that next year.
Speaker 1: Oh, okay, surprised that it was Nick first and Kyle? Am I making something out of nothing?
Speaker 3: Did Nick retire before Kyle?
Speaker 1: Yes, he did? Good point, that might be it. Yeah, and I guess Javier retired before Nick.
Speaker 3: Okay, because if we're talking, I mean, you know, as a as a sports guy, generally you're you're up for such nominations either very local or national or whatever based on the time you retire.
Speaker 2: This is true.
Speaker 1: You read Gordo's piece on on Jay right on Jason Christ you sent it to me.
Speaker 3: I didn't, well, I knew invisible men, Yes, I knew.
Speaker 1: I knew it was in the works because of our guy setting us the heads up. It's a really interesting path to consider how when Jay was here as the coach manager excuse me, winning MLS cop you know nine the gaffer, thank you, and then should have won it in thirteen. Thirteen was probably the best team right of RSL history?
Speaker 2: Is that fair?
Speaker 3: Should Yeah, and probably should have won Champions League?
Speaker 2: Should have won Champions League. It was thirteen, it was second time was thirteen?
Speaker 3: Oka lost?
Speaker 1: Y would you say that's the best club in RSL history?
Speaker 3: Talent wise?
Speaker 2: Better?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 2: Nine, even though they won the Cup?
Speaker 3: Well, I think ten, eleven, twelve were probably the best teams, but roster talent wise probably thirteen. But I mean you could make an argument that some of these teams in recent years have been more talented top to bottom for sure, roster wise, But they did get the results that those.
Speaker 1: Guys did last year, that fifteen game stretch. That's the best soccer I've ever seen played. Yeah for RSLA, you might want to keep a couple of those guys around, But you know, what are you gonna do?
Speaker 2: What are your as Nicky goes into the ring of honor?
Speaker 1: What's your recollection of kind of when he established himself as who he ultimately became, Because it wasn't right out of.
Speaker 3: Gates, No, Yeah, I mean probably the year before they won the Cup, because they had a pretty deep playoff run in OH eight?
Speaker 2: Was that the Eastern Conference finale.
Speaker 3: Where they hit the post like six times, and it was I think that was the first year Rio Tinto was open. It was, and it was a big deal that they got so far in their first year in their new stadium.
Speaker 2: My name's on a beam, yep.
Speaker 3: I think that was. That was back when the league was so dumb that teams from different conferences could enter the other team's playoff race. Because I think the Red Bulls beat RSL. They did that in that final.
Speaker 1: And if I remember correctly in two thousand and nine, yes, RSL beat Chicago and penalties and then Columbus.
Speaker 2: I think, how did that work?
Speaker 3: Because it's dumb.
Speaker 1: It is a dumb you know what, the dumbest. It's still a dumb league. Yeah, maybe it's not as dumb as it once was. It's still a very very dumb league.
Speaker 3: You're gonna watch Seattle Athletico Madrid.
Speaker 1: Well, now that I know that, Moose, Hey you find Seattle at Athletic?
Speaker 2: What channel is it on?
Speaker 3: Uh so I've learned this This d D a Z n acronym. Okay, how you pronounce it?
Speaker 2: Doz zone? The zone? Yeah, that sucks.
Speaker 3: Dunny was on the was on the Miami Cally, which was cool. But I think this one is on the Zone and it's streaming for free online.
Speaker 1: If it's not, we are antiquated in the studio. We cannot stream on the television, so I guess I'll have to watch the replay. But I didn't know Moose was in the eleven. Your guy, well, it's John Paul's guy. I mean really like.
Speaker 3: The Moose is loose against one of the best teams in the world.
Speaker 1: We lost JP as a club when we didn't take care of Moose.
Speaker 3: You think so, oh, I know, so not not losing Chico and going No, it was Moose.
Speaker 1: Moose was the beginning of the decline where John Paul is legitimately no longer an RSL fan.
Speaker 2: It's very sad.
Speaker 3: What about you?
Speaker 2: Was it?
Speaker 3: Crooks?
Speaker 2: No, no, no, no.
Speaker 1: I stand on my feet, dude, I shouted out, real, I am here for the lads.
Speaker 2: They have not lost me.
Speaker 1: I'm in for life, man, that's what happens. Oh yeah, they're so boring, so boring. It's so uninspiring. It's like I I watch I watch every Jazz game even this year. Uh so I'll watch every RSEL game. But it is a task. I find myself scrolling doom scrolling during RSL matches, and then if something exciting happens, I'll hear the announcement. I'll just pull up Apples like you know, Apple.
Speaker 2: Does the whole moments that you missed. But do you still watch every yrsel?
Speaker 3: Now? I try to. Yeah, we're the Jazz gonna take.
Speaker 1: Oh well, I really I really hope Dj edgecumb falls.
Speaker 2: I think he's really good. Uh.
Speaker 1: Happy anniversary in nineteen eighty four NBA draft class, which included one Michael Jordan, achiem Olajron and one John Stockton. All right, Chris, I'll let you go. You gotta go watch the game. That was an entertaining, weird hour. Thanks so much for your time, and we'll see how today was Friday. But it's Thursday. It's Friday for me. That's why you're here, is it? I'm off tomorrow? Yeah, goodnes see it, buddy,