Speaker 1: Welcome to the Parenting Roundabout podcast. I'm Terry Morrow and I'm Catherine Jileco. As parents and parenting writers, we can't help but see everything through a parenting lens. But as our kids have become adults, we find ourselves more interested in getting caught up on movies and streaming than I'm going over the same parenting topics over and over.
Speaker 2: So since we're pretty sure we can find parenting wisdom anywhere, we're going to talk about what we're watching, what we thought about it, and maybe what we can learn from it, if only what not to do. Watch and listen along, and let's all make like we're doing something important for our families.
Speaker 1: Each Tuesday, we bring you a watch or rewatch of an older entertainment property, And for this week of September twenty third, we're continuing with Lost, Season one, episode twelve, whatever the case may be, but so worst puns so far, House of the Rising Sun, or whatever the case may be.
Speaker 2: I think the case is worse.
Speaker 1: I had forgotten what the title of the episode was, and I looked it up when it was over, and I was like, oh, come on, seriously, seriously, are you a professional entertainment product. What are you doing? Yeah, oh my gosh, that was.
Speaker 2: Mary silly.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and this is not supposed to be silly in that way. It's chilling way, not in a okay dad, very funny. Yeah, we start out with those crazy kids, Sawyer and Kate just having them a little frolic by a waterfalls around. She's got her thong on, she's good.
Speaker 2: Why did he not take his jeans off?
Speaker 1: My question?
Speaker 2: I mean maybe he was naked under there, I guess so.
Speaker 1: See, the thing is, Sawyer would not care if he was naked under there, would enjoy taking off his pants in front of her. Yes, absolutely, Babc not so much. Yeah, but you could have, well they had. They did show them swimming around. So you're you're swimming around, you're having yourself a good time swimming in your underwear, and you see some dead bodies. Yeah, and like a normal person's reaction would be giving hell out. Oh, let's let's dive down right, let's check them out. How do you dive down like that? Because I float right? How it seemed like they were fairly deep to be just holding their breath and going down right.
Speaker 2: And opening their eyes all the time.
Speaker 1: Water did not look clean either no, but conveniently, what should happen to be there completely coincidentally in this place they just happened upon well.
Speaker 2: And also later in the episode, Kate is like, you know, the Marshall had this case and they made him check it, so then they find it under a seat.
Speaker 1: Yes, this does not work, and I don't understand except that it's the Island's magic. Yeah, don't ask questions, yep. I mean it could just have been loose somewhere nearby and not under the seat.
Speaker 2: Exactly like stowed neatly under the seat in front of you, as they say deliberately.
Speaker 1: So you know, what should have happened is they should finally have gotten it open and it turns out it's not the same case, right, somebody else's stuff you checked it.
Speaker 3: That doesn't make sense. O, golly, the whole thing was just the whole episode was just diminishing returns, the whole that particular plot.
Speaker 1: And I know, I know this show. I don't remember what the significance of the little toy plane turns out to be, but I know there's some significance, but not enough for that to have been her motivation immediately enough, you know, I don't want to wait for five seasons to find out what the toy was or whatever. I don't know. Sooner than that, I guess we find out and I can't remember now if it was satisfying or not. But it's too much weight to put on that when we're not gonna know for a while, right, trust us, it'll be important. It makes sense. We make sure we're new for right. Uh. Yeah, this whole this whole episode was. And also I felt so sorry for Evangeline Lily when she got her costume that day, right.
Speaker 2: Like, this is it?
Speaker 1: I mean, I guess it's a compliment that they think you're gonna look good in it. There's nobody's gonna put me in a thong on a camera, I can tell you. But still, man, was that thing skimpy and the camera found it a whole lot?
Speaker 2: Oh, of course absolutely.
Speaker 1: I do not get the whole thong thing anyway, just for a matter of comforted coverage, it seems to make no sense. But you know, in front of Sawyer, really would she.
Speaker 2: Yeah, she would have kept her pants on.
Speaker 1: So much of this of this episode was Sawyer and Jack trying to get the truth out of Kate. Tell me what's really there, stop lying. I'm not gonna open this give you this case until you tell me what's in. And I'm like, guys, guys, just watch the flashbacks, just right down down.
Speaker 2: Oh, maxim in the flashbacks.
Speaker 1: Although of course it wasn't really because we didn't find out what the significance of the plane was except that it belonged to the man I killed, right and also loved, but especially killed. It's just like, all right, we know the structure now, Yeah, it's just you know, I know, you don't have have cable on the island, so it's a little difficult. But just was tiresome, I thought in this particular time, and that robbery was so unpleasant. Yeah, for it to be just kind of a.
Speaker 2: Trick, right, so she could get a toy plane out of a safe deposit box, Like there has to be better ways to force a bank to open a safe deposit box. Yeah, yeah, you know, there's gotta be some.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, it just it was it. I think is the first one of these flashback stories that makes no sense until a future flashback, right, we need more flashbacks to explain this. I think up until now they've been pretty here's something happening in the main story, and we are going to illustrate it with this flashback. And even if we don't actually see them getting on the plane, it's you know, sort of moves us in that direction. This was just like, huh, how about that? But you want to know what's going on there?
Speaker 2: I guess you're gonna have to keep watching.
Speaker 1: Yes, So have you ever heard of Halliburton? I guess is that an actual thing that exists in the real world. I heard of the unbreak innable suitcases because everybody knew, oh, she's trying to get into a Haliburton. I'm like, right, yeah, No, I mean I've heard about it as.
Speaker 2: A as a company, but I thought it was like, yeah, like you know mercenary security cards.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so I guess maybe we have like a line of merch.
Speaker 2: Apparently they do. Yeah, But it was entertaining watching Jack or watching Sawyer try to try to get it open.
Speaker 1: I felt that Cage could maybe get it open by you know, hitting it against his skull, but no, she's she's a killer, but not a killer, right, And uh, you know they wanted to use the axe, but Boone, it's snuck it away so that they can try to open the hatch also by Haliburton apparently.
Speaker 2: But yeah, because we're struggling with that quite a bit.
Speaker 1: Keeping them busy, Yes, and everybody's got something to keep them busy. Shannon is when Boone said to her, she's useless, I said to my husband, but she can translate French, and right, look what happens. There's French to translate.
Speaker 2: Under the watchful eye of siyd.
Speaker 1: Yes, who can say no to that? That's right? Yeah, and she even gets to sing a little song at the end. So see, there's a place for everybody. And h I think, uh, I think parenting wise, we have been reunited with the island mom Rose. Yeah, remember Rose.
Speaker 2: I was thinking about her recently, like we have not seen her since about episode two, and I was just never happened to Rose.
Speaker 1: There she is sorting laundry somewhere, you know. El Scott Caldwell is the name of that actor. And they must have just had her on a contract that was like every now and then, come on down, we're gonna need to until such times we get enough seasons for your husband to turn up. Then then you got some more gifts. But there will be more to do in the meantime. When somebody needs a hug or a prayer or a talking to. Hey, it's Rose, It Rose Rose. Although I guess the last time Jack was giving her a talking to.
Speaker 2: But yeah, well, wouldn't she make a good babysitter. I mean, we were always looking for babysitters. She great, she'd probably figure out a way to, like bake cookies or something.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean we were saying, I think the last time she was on is that she was just sitting like on a little hill looking out at the ocean. And they could have just parked Walt right next to her and said don't leave, don't move, so she could at least. Yeah, but she would be why is she not taking care of Walt? Get that actress more time, more screen time. And but she handled Charlie very nicely. I still can't believe nobody's out looking for Claire. Yeah. I thought that's what what Boonen and Locke we're doing. But no, they're trying to they're trying to solve, and Clara is somewhere with others. Yeah, sure, it's okay.
Speaker 2: I know I would think that. I mean, Michael was like, I needed I need to be do something. I need I'm going to go search and then I guess he bailed on that idea.
Speaker 1: Why aren't there parties like twenty four to seven?
Speaker 2: I mean, I guess get it. If you know Ethan, then the others were willing to hang Charlie. Then the rest of them are like maybe Clarik.
Speaker 1: And vent for that's true, but I mean Kate.
Speaker 2: And Jack for sure are always like, we can't leave that person behind, you know.
Speaker 1: Yes, oh Jack, Jack had I mean, we've all done this as parents. Is like made threats that we have no intention of keeping right. But should the only doctor on the island be threatening to withhold medical care right in such a way that would cause somebody to say, possibly lose an arm or die right now, it's Sawyer, so nobody would really care. There probably would be no objection, but still it sets a bad precedent, does it not?
Speaker 2: It does, But Sawyer didn't believe him, so that's true.
Speaker 1: So it as with kids like yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you're full of you're full of bologney.
Speaker 1: Mom, You're not gonna follow through on that. I'm gonna do whatever I want to do. Yeah, well sorry Jack, but don't do that. Don't do that now, don't think of something better to threaten him with than Hey, I could withhold antibiotics from you. Right, it's Sawyer's probably got a stash of antibiotics.
Speaker 2: Right, Yeah, he's got a stash of everything else.
Speaker 1: So he totally did not give them all the antibiotics he had. He's got some hidden away, he's got a little halburn case somewhere with That's right. You don't want to trust somebody like that doctor, Nope.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but yeah, going back to the clear thing, I'm very like worried about her. We have we have just like barely even mentioned her, except for Charlie, who's like, you know, catatonic over everything that happened to her. And why isn't he insisting that people was it?
Speaker 1: Who was it? Somebody referred to her as the pregnant girl. It's like, yeah, she doesn't have any name. Now she's just Thank goodness, she's gone. We don't need a baby crying here.
Speaker 2: Right, it'll attract undesirable attention.
Speaker 1: We were a little worried we'd have to sacrifice the kid to the smoke monster to get some peace, but now it's out our hands. Darn the luck. Who could possibly guess where she is, why should we even try? Yeah, let's just move our camp now.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean said he doesn't want to go look for her, Like, what, what's going on with all of these people?
Speaker 1: Well, I guess I guess the translating of Rousseau's documents is in some way intended to help them understand where the others might be. So it's sort of what they're doing to find Claire. I guess if I was Claire, I would not be satisfied.
Speaker 2: Right, it doesn't seem sufficient.
Speaker 1: Who knows what could be happening to her? Horrible things? But let's let's let's take our time. Let's let's see what we can make of these papers, and then eventually we'll go fine to somebody who might know something. But rush, Yeah, you know, let her get through late, Let let her give birth someplace else. You know, we don't have the proper tools and set up here. Sand will get into everything. It won't be nice. Yeah, So and then then we'll rescue her and the baby.
Speaker 3: It'll be fine.
Speaker 1: Maybe not the baby, you know. But yeah, it's weird. Yeah, this whole thing is weird. That's a given, yes, indeed, But uh, there's not one, not one of the top episodes here, Kate's gonna have a lot of flashbacks, so.
Speaker 2: We got a dole of my a little by a little.
Speaker 1: I think they're still figuring out what the heck her story is. Let's just putter and let's put not just stuff. Maybe she does maybe she did that right. Meanwhile, Rose is just uh Sander prayers that the show runs long enough for them to need more characters to suddenly appear. Right, Hey, look who we found. It's a regulars now got to kill some people off first? Yeah, I say that, certainly not, but don't don't. I recommend you don't. Go on to IMDb and check the number of episodes each acter was in. Yeah, that's that's spoiler warning.
Speaker 2: Yep, that's one way to find out things you don't want to know.
Speaker 1: Yes, that's true. I was. I was looking it up for the purpose of finding that out and then thinking, holy cow, this is a massive spoiler.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: They just got to go home, is what happened to see? Right? Some people wanted to go home and some people didn't. Some people wanted to stay. Well, what is let's see next week? Anything else you want to say about this misbegotten mess?
Speaker 2: I think I'm good.
Speaker 1: They can't all be inspiring right. Next Tuesday, we'll continue with season one, episode thirteen of Lost Hearts and Minds, which I believe is the first flashback episode for Boon.
Speaker 2: Oh okay, can we.
Speaker 1: Find out if he's a male stripper bachelorette party?
Speaker 2: Maybe? Maybe somehow I doubt it.
Speaker 1: Could he possibly be wearing less than Kate was? I don't know, God, just in that scuzzy water with dead people, with like almost like your personal pot's not covered up very well, Kate? Oh pay please go under the waterfallen shower afterwards, Michael ever get the shower set up? Y showers? Well, we'll see if Boone remains fully closed next week in either of his story or flashbacks, and we will see you back here tomorrow to discuss only murders in the building. And on Thursday, we'll be chatting about the episode of Dancing with the Stars that airs tonight, season thirty three, episode two. We will flash back to it on Thursday. Thank you for listening. You can find all our episodes on Spreaker, Apple Podcasts, Amazon Music, or wherever you get your podcasts. You can find recaps, links and an opportunity to comment on our website at parentingroundabout dot com.
Speaker 2: You can also talk to us on our Facebook page, on Instagram or on Twitter, where you'll find us at roundabout Chat. And please visit our Amazon shop at Amazon dot com, slash Shop slash Mamitude. But you can find links to a lot of the things we've talked about over the years
Speaker 3: In Depended The Man in the End