Speaker 1: Coming to you from Studio A here at Proven Winners Color Choice Shrubs. It's time for the Gardening Simplified Podcast, radio and YouTube show with Stacey Hervella, me, Rick Weist, and our engineer and producer Adrianna Robinson. Well Stacey. Around here in the North, it's felt like Groundhog Day every day for the last two months. Snow, snow, snow, and it makes you wonder when spring is going to arrive. I love following the adventure in Danville, Vermont, where they put a palette out on the ice on the lake. It's called Joe's Pond. They have an annual ice out. It has bricks on it. It's wired with a weather proof clock. And when that palette and bricks finally break through and sink to the bottom, you know it's spring. And they have people who pay a dollar each for a ticket. It's a big deal. But when that brick goes through the ice, you know at spring.
Speaker 2: Oh.
Speaker 3: I like that, that's a real symbol. We've had a lot of false spring here exactly in West Michigan. Not sure about the rest of our listeners. If I know, we have a lot of people in warm climates, so you're probably like, yeah, it's great.
Speaker 2: It has been less.
Speaker 3: Than great here in Michigan, and really no signs of it improving in the near forecast, at least that I've seen, And.
Speaker 1: So you start to question yourself when does spring start. So they're on Joe's pond, they know definitively when spring starts. But in the North and Midwest, we are anxious for spring, and most people will do a few things as spring starts. They'll fertilize their lawn and apply an annual crab grass control. They'll spray weeds, and in many cases they're winter annual weeds like hen bit or chick weed or my good friend Harry bittercress, who are going to die anyhow, That's always driven me crazy in the garden center industry, people need to understand the difference between annual and perennial weeds. Many people will have a massive pile of mulch dumped on their driveway and then in May they'll head to the garden center and try and get it all done at once. That's what I see.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's pretty accurate.
Speaker 3: You know, like maybe two weeks ago it was somewhat nice on the weekend. I'm speaking relatively like it wasn't like oh one of those days you just gotta get outside.
Speaker 4: You know. I saw the.
Speaker 3: People out there pulling up their leaves and you know, putting around here and there because it was a bit sunny. I don't know if most people are as organized as you make them out to be in that and that. I think that a lot of times what happens is people is people think, Okay, it's nice, I'm going to go outside do some ard work. And you know, they again, they start putting around, they get a rake, they pull some leaves out of the beds. You know, they go should.
Speaker 2: I cut this? Should I not?
Speaker 3: But then you know, maybe they listen to us, or they read an article or you know, see something on social media and they're like, oh, shoot, I should have been doing X, Y and Z right, and then it's all, you know, all hands on deck.
Speaker 1: Yeah that's true. And coming up in segment four it we'll talk to Mike Connor, he's a pollination and be expert. We'll talk about cleaning up the leaves, clean up in spring effect on native bees. That's coming up in segment four. But you know your garden in spring, it's an outdoor living room. And I guess my point what I'm trying to make, and I see people do this is uh, don't try and get it all done at once. I mean, spring is a little over ninety days long, plus garden centers greenhouses have gotten very good at the shoulder seasons. You know, we head well into June, July, into the fall. You have plenty of time, so peace yourself. Spring is not a weekend. This week's limb a rick. There once was a man from ocean whose plant choices weren't well chosen. The plants he had grown were outside of his own, and now his camellias are frozen. He learned winter over exposes and splits your left out new hoses. The azaleas are toast his flowers compost. Yes, life ain't a bed of roses. But let's get out there in the yard and let's kick off spring. So stacy, A lot of people do feeding. I want to say real shortly. I like to feed my shrubs, perennials and plants in spring. I like to use a slow release organic fertilizer. But a lot of people feed their lawns. And if you're going to do that, use a good quality slow release because that grass is going to grow like nuts anyhow. So if you just jump you dump a quick release nitrogen fertilizer on the lawn, it's gonna cause it to grow even faster. And I just think that feeding a lawn and fall is more important than feeding it in.
Speaker 3: S I couldn't speak to lawn fertilization, as you know, it is not my forte quite the opposite. But I do agree with you on fertilizing the trees and shrubs and perennials if you're going to do that. And you know, people always ask us if they should fertilize their shrubs, and you know my answer, and I'm not trying to be obtuse or whatever is if you want to, it is not necessary in most areas to fertilize landscape plants. Now, if you started with something small, you might want to fertilize to get because it does indeed boost growth, and that's why people fertilize their lawn and greens everything up.
Speaker 2: Or if you are trying to grow for.
Speaker 3: Privacy, so I have a privacy hedge of junipers. I'm trying to get established on the back line of my yard, and you better believe I went out and fertilized those last week when it was a somewhat nice day, because we're gonna get some rain. So that's like the ideal time to do this is if you have a day where it's nice enough for you to be out there. The ground should not be frozen. And whether you're doing your lawn or you know, perennials and shrubs and the like, try to pick a nice day ground's not frozen and it's gonna rain really good the next day to get that stuff, you know, working, because all of these slow release fertilizers, and when we talk about slow release fertilizers, we're not talking about like the little osma code or other things like that that you put in your in your annual containers that release fertilizer for them all summer. We're talking about a fertilizer that weathers due to rain and acidity and the soil and all of that and releases those nutrients slowly correct to their plants, rather than like here you go, you just got your boost.
Speaker 2: Now deal with it, you know.
Speaker 1: And that's exactly my point with the lawn. So I'm not saying don't feed your lawn, I'm saying, use a good quality slow release. My point is not all fertilizers are created the same well.
Speaker 3: That is for sure, and there's a lot of confusion. And I'm a big fan of granular fertilizers. Anyway, as we've talked about before, especially for this time of year. You know you're fertilizing your annuals, your veget a little bit later in the season by all means, mix up that liquid stuff. But when we're talking about more of this long term sustained growth, I really like a good stony, granular slow release for life.
Speaker 1: You too, I agree. So here's a few things that you can do. Of course, I love in viral weather. I'm a meteorologist wannabe. So if you're north of let's say a line between Kentucky and Virginia, and you're north of that area, get to know soil temperatures because it matters. It makes a difference on how quickly things emerge. Insects emerge. Also GDD growing degree day accumulation. Don't have time to explain it right now, but get to know that, and there are great tools on the internet where you can track that. I do that all the time. Then get edging out of the way. Early springs a great time to get edging work done. Clean out your shed. I say that, but I won't do it. Sharpen your pruners and shovels, divide and move some perennials like ornamental grass yep, good time for that for sure, and when you plant them in spring, they won't heave out of the ground like they might in fall. Stacy, I like to give my mulch beds a stir. I joke about the people who put a big pile of mulch in their driveway and pile it on too deep. By the way, don't pile it on to old mulch and pile mulch too deep just because you feel that's something you gotta do at the outset of the spring. Appropriate amounts of mulch are important for plants, and the old mulch I like to stir it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, break up that surface tension. I mean the wood as it sits does the waxes prevent water from wetting it. So it is a good idea to kind of stir that around and get some air under there, and you keep it from looking too flat.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, you have a strategic functional advantage when you understand pruning. And we'll talk about pruning throughout the spring, but it makes a world of difference to know what you're doing. It's a perfect time to set up your irrigation system and your needs for the season. In other words, I'm talking about we're in spring here. Before you can set out annuals, we're still going to get some hard frosts. I like the HHH approach that means inspect heads on irrigation hoses and hardware in early spring, put soil in your containers so they're ready to go when you do buy those annuals. And maybe this is one of those years where you upsize your hanging baskets. I often recommend to people who buy the ten inch hanging baskets upsize them into a twelve or fourteen inch basket. They're readily available right now in stores. If you go looking for them in June, you might not be able to go.
Speaker 2: Oh, that's for sure, the hanging baskets will sell out.
Speaker 1: Well, there's an idea of some things on your list when you're just raring to go.
Speaker 3: In Yeah, I'd say if you're out there inspecting your heads in hardware and organizing your shed, I would say you indeed have a case of spring fever, and that would probably be the way this season appears to be going, although I did see that they're predicting a very warm April. So we'll see what happens. Because March has been, you know, a little little less time outside than I had been hoping for.
Speaker 1: March hasn't been a lion or a land, it's just been awful. Yes, we'll see what Stacy has in mind. And plants on trial coming up next here on the Gardening Simplified Show.
Speaker 3: Beautify your home and community with proven Winner's Color Choice Shrubs with over three hundred and twenty five unique varieties to choose from. There's a flowering shrub or evergreen for every taste and every space. Just look for the distinctive white container your local garden center or learn more at proven Winner's Color Choice dot com. Greetings, gardening friends, and welcome back to the Gardening Simplified Show, where we are talking about springtime tasks. And you know, if you're in one of the areas that are nice right now, your tasks may look a little bit different than us here in Michigan, just trying to pass the time until we can get outside and do something meaningful. But I did, before I launch into today's plan on trial, want to just bring up two really important facts. And number one, Ricky mentioned pruning a bit. Pruning is obviously a massive topic. I mean, we could do multiple shows about pruning, but as you have hopefully heard me say before, the thing to remember about pruning in spring is when in doubt, don't just don't. So if you're out there, you got the pruners, you're getting a little you know, over excited about everything, and you're clearing it out, and you're wondering, should I have cut that back? Should I be cutting this? Where should I cut this? This is the best thing to do is to take that moment to RECOGNI that you don't know what to do, and you should just walk away because it's much easier to fix something that you didn't prune than to fix something that you did.
Speaker 1: And stay tuned to the Gardening Simplified show as we advance into spring, because we're going to have to continue to address this time.
Speaker 3: Oh yes, for sure. But I did also want to tell you that you know, with perennials, so a perennials and our baceous plant that died back to the ground. So you've got plants parts that are above ground if unless you cut them all back and fall that are going to be cut back. And if you don't cut back a perennial like that, the worst thing that's going to happen is you're just going to have all of the old brown foliage and the green foliage mixed together and it doesn't look great, but the plant will be fine. And with shrubs, of course, if you cut them at the wrong time, you could be removing flowers and that's, you know, something that you can live with, but it's disappointing, Like we don't want you to be disappointed, but you know, we do have information on every Prooven Winner's Color Choice shrub, how to prune it, when to prune it on our website at Proven Winner's Color Choice doch, So that is a great place to start finding out whether you can or should prune. And then as far as cutting back perennials go, you know, I've said it before and we're going to get into it much more with Mike and segment four. But I am a big believer in not over cleaning the garden in spring, letting all of that stuff emerge. But on the other hand, I also don't like to have to pick through all that fresh new growth while I'm trying to pull out all of the dead stuff. So my solution, of course is just to pile it up somewhere and let it sit. So that's just something to keep in mind if you have the real estate, which I don't actually have the real estate anymore, but I'm going to figure it out somehow or another. So anyway, plants on trial, if there is one shrub that you think of when it comes to spring, what is it, Well.
Speaker 1: I can tell you, but I looked at your notes here, so that's not fair for even if I'm stealing.
Speaker 2: Here, even if I hadn't told you.
Speaker 3: Of course, it's for city, of course, you know and every and I'm sure I've said this on the show before, but it amazes me that Forsythia is one of these plants that nobody thinks even for a moment about outside of its bloom.
Speaker 2: Time, paying no attention, and then when it's in bloom, it is just so unignorable.
Speaker 1: And everybody comes to the garden center wanting to buy.
Speaker 3: It exactly, and it's just it's a It's a wild thing to go from not thinking about forcythia at all to seeing Forsythia literally everywhere. It seems like everyone has a forcythia, and I think that's a great testament to how tough and durable and easy to grow this plant is.
Speaker 1: But isn't it something when it's in bloom with daffodils at the ceme?
Speaker 2: Oh, it's perfection. I love it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know, I mean, I'm you know, I do have a Forsythia in my yard. It was there when we moved in. I'm actually going to cut it back to kill it this year. I'm going to kill it. Yeah. But we didn't want to pull it out entirely because we don't want to disturb all the soil. But I am after I'm gonna give it one last balloon. But you know, it's just for me. It's too big. This is this is one of the old fashioned varieties. So our plant and a trial today show off sugar baby Forcythia is going to change all of that. But let me just finish my point here about the massive forcythia that I have in my yard that is every bit of six feet tall and wide. And you know, for me, it's just not my yard, and my garden is too small for something that doesn't do a little bit more, you know.
Speaker 1: What I mean, I understand.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so it's coming out. I don't know exactly what I'm gonna plant in its place, probably give some room to some other things that are already kind of muscling it out. But I do love the golden color of Forsythia, and for me, it's kind of like I can I get my fill from everybody else who's got the forcythia. I don't necessarily need it in.
Speaker 2: My own yard.
Speaker 3: Okay, I borrowed, borrowed sceener. The borrowed scenery is sufficient. But if I did want to continue to grow for Scythia in my yard, I would indeed pick today's plan on trial show off sugar Baby forcythia. Why it is hands down the smallest forcythia on the market. It reaches just one and a half to two and a half feet tall and wide.
Speaker 1: That's amazing.
Speaker 2: That is very tiny.
Speaker 1: That's small.
Speaker 3: I mean for most forsythias are gigantic, right, and you know, people make room for them. They still make a great privacy heads. There's still a place for those larger ones. But I think as a lot of us find ourselves either as gardeners with more and more plants that we want to accommodate and plants that give us maybe longer seasons of interest compared to Forsythia, or we move to smaller areas and we just love forsythia with like a condo or apartment or something like that. This is a great choice for you. And because it is so small, it is a plant that can grow in places where other forcythia can't.
Speaker 1: Yeah, instead of using it as a fountain dation plant against your house, how about putting it in a perennial guard.
Speaker 3: It's great in a perennial gardener. It can be grown in containers. And I would also encourage you, if you're the kind of gardener who just likes to create really pretty containers. Check out show off sugar Baby at your garden center. Go ahead and plant it temporarily in a container with pansies and bulbs and all of that fun stuff, and then just plant it in your garden when you're ready to change that container over for summer.
Speaker 1: I saw Forcythia's in containers at corkin Hoff in the Netherlands with bulb plants. Wow.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's such a great combination. And then you know, yes, you're investing a bit into the forcythia, but you're going to plant it out in your yard, so it's a really great choice. You can also plant it. This is an interesting choice for planting, say on either side of your steps, because also, unlike those larger forcythia's, a show of sugar Baby has a very tidy habit, so regular forcythia's kind of can be a little bit messy, no rangey. I like that about them because I like things to look a little bit while and sometimes when I see a forcythia that's really been you know, super meatebald, I'm a little like ouch that looks like it hurts.
Speaker 2: Or it hurts. In the right setting, it can work really really well.
Speaker 3: But the nice thing about show off sugar Baby is you don't have to worry about that because it does just naturally grow as this very dense, little kind of column of golden flowers. So it has the structure that you need for these more formal applications, like I said, going up to your front door on either side of your garage. Of course, in perennial gardens, You can also even plant this as kind of a low hedge around the front of landscape.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: So the size is a great way to get everything you love about Forcythia two areas that you normally wouldn't have grown it. Now, there's another big advantage of a small Forcythia like show off sugar Baby, that I wanted to share with our listeners, and that is it is hardy to USDA Zone five, but we have heard reports of people in colder climates being successful with it because it is so small that it's usually covered by snow in those colder you know, zone four areas. If you live in a zone four that usually has reliable snow cover, it is a Forcythia that you can actually potentially grow because the snow provides all that insulation during the coldest part of the winter when those buds would potentially be susceptible to cold damage. It's got that nice fluffy white coat on and it's able to bloom and survive. And I have heard this even in places as cold and exposed as Edmonton.
Speaker 2: Alberta is. Yeah, so love it another word.
Speaker 3: Way to kind of use plant sizes and these unique features of plants in your favor and to experiment with that a little bit. These heat tolerant through usda is own eight. I think it's funny that people tend to think of Forsythia as more of a hardy plant, but it's actually more heat tolerant than it is hardy. It's I don't think a lot of people realize. Did you know that, botanically speaking, for Scythia is related to olives.
Speaker 1: I did know that, and I find that interest.
Speaker 3: It is interesting because you know, again we're talking about heartiness and heat tolerance, and of course olives are not the least bit heat tolerant, and for Cynthia looks nothing really like an olive, but it is in the oly ace the or the olive family, and so it's not only unlike olives, but it's also unlike other plants that are in the oly ace that we grow in our gardens that are grown for fragrance. So Lilac is in the oly ac jasmine privet fringe tree, Osmanthus ke and othis or yeah, ke and othis the fringe tree. Adriana sorry was looking at me like trying to trying to place the plant, and so I wanted to get that in their beautiful plant. It's such an amazing fragrance on that I love it.
Speaker 1: Stacy. I mentioned in the first segment pruning, and you have a strategic advantage when you know when to prune. You see the old and Forcythia's out there, this is one that where people will take a little off the top and then you have the naked branches below and the tuft on the top. Yeah, so pruning's key. Also, pruning is.
Speaker 3: Key especially with those older varieties that do tend to be a little rangy. Now because for Cynthia blooms so early in spring, you have to think about this logically and know that means it blooms on old wood.
Speaker 2: It's set.
Speaker 3: It's flower buds that you're about to see last summer, because otherwise when would I have a chance to create flower buds when it's still kind of cold and crummy. Right, So if you want to prune Forcythia, you're going to do that immediately after it flowers in spring, when the last bloom falls there. You can do it a little earlier if you don't mind missing out on a couple and that will give it the whole summer to recover. And if you have one of those older ones, those big rangy ones that is kind of bare at the bottom with just the flowers on the top. Consider giving it a rejuvenation pruning cutting it back to just stumps hard.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it'll be fine.
Speaker 3: Pune it back to just stumps and get a freshly sun life and start to appreciate your Scythia again like it deserves.
Speaker 4: So.
Speaker 3: We're gonna have all of this in the YouTube version, or of course in the show notes at Gardening Simplified on air dot com. So check it out there if you want more information about show off sugar Baby for Cythia. We're gonna take a little break.
Speaker 2: When we come back.
Speaker 3: We've got the mail bags of stay tuned. At Proven Winner's Color Choice Shrubs, we know that a better landscape starts with a better shrub. Our team of experts tests and evaluates all of our flowering shrubs in evergreens for eight to ten years to ensure they outperform what's already on the market. For easycare, reliable, beautiful shrubs to accentuate your home and express your personal style, look for Proven Winner's Shrubs in the distinctive white container at your local garden center or learn more at proven Winner's Color Choice dot Com. Greetings gardening friends, and welcome back to the Gardening Simplified Show, where it is our pleasure to help you solve your garden questions, quandaries and conundrums, which I'm sure sure you have.
Speaker 2: But let me just go.
Speaker 3: Back to how I started the previous segment, which is the thing I want you to keep in mind as you're doing your spring chores and clean up. When in doubt, don't you can ask us a question. No, but I feel like I kind of should need a T shirt. Yes, I mean it's it's kind of It's somewhat good life advice anyway, so even if it's not in the context of gardening. You know, there's certain cases where when in doubt, you should, but there's a lot of cases where when in doubt don't.
Speaker 1: It's a good point because my nature has been to jump in with both feet and then figure it out as I go.
Speaker 2: Oh, me too.
Speaker 3: This is why I'm giving this advice well ground well and also like it's fine. Here's the other corollary I think to that, which is like, it's fine to ignore that advice if you're willing to live with a consequence but I've definitely dealt with so many gardeners over the years who have prune something wrong and they just cannot stop beating themselves up over it. And you know that's hard because it's like, Okay, well, you've learned a great lesson. You're obviously not gonna let this happen again. But if you're like, hey, I don't know what's gonna happen, but I'm willing to accept the consequences of this not blooming or you know, having its growth scented or whatever, then by all.
Speaker 1: Means, do Isn't it fair to say you want to use as a general rule of green thumb if you're going to prune it, prune it right after it's done.
Speaker 3: Blooming as a general guideline, especially for spring, especially for stuff that blooms in spring.
Speaker 2: For sure.
Speaker 3: Okay, but speaking of pruning, uh, you know, we talk a lot. I think when most people talk about pruning the immediately like hyde rangees, you know, like, do I prune my headrange? Don't I prune my hydrange it didn't bloom. I prove my hydrange it did bloom. What's going on?
Speaker 2: People get real confused.
Speaker 3: That's why we have so very many resources on pruning hydrangees and when to prune them and how to know if and when you should prune them. And one of the hydrangs that we generally recommend having regular pruning on is panicle hydrangers. Right, beautiful, easy to grow a plant, not imperative to prune them, but you will find generally that you kind of improve the overall habit of the plant and the blooming if they are prune regularly. And we just put a video on on this so I can link that in YouTube and the show notes. But I had a listener writ in a listener named Margaret, I believe she is in Pennsylvania, and she says, I'm watching your Limelight hydrange' show again, and I felt the need to show mine. It is planted at the top of a huge raised bed and has two offsprings that I made to make a cave like structure in a secret garden. This was purchased as a quart size plant, so a four and a half inch container four and a half inches twenty four years ago. Now, if you are listening to us on podcasts or on radio, you need to get over to YouTube or the show notes and see a picture of Margaret and her Winmelight Hydrangea it is.
Speaker 2: I mean, I'll paint a.
Speaker 3: Quick picture for you here. It's probably what you say, twenty five feet tall. I'm going to say that about twenty five feet tall and about is wide.
Speaker 1: Twenty five feet tall, twenty five feet why, twenty five years old, twenty five years old, quarter of a century.
Speaker 3: And I mean it must have thousands and thousands of blooms on it. I've seen a lot of limelights that haven't regularly been pruned. Not everyone has a space that Margaret does, but wow, what an absolutely stunning specimen.
Speaker 1: Man, it's a kick in the plants. Yes, so Margaret's a baby bloomer just like me.
Speaker 3: So you definitely want to take a look at that. And that's just something too, you know, kind of bear in mind as you think about if you're planting, you know, pruning, what's it going to look like in the long term? Do you have the space to let this thing go unpruned? And wow, a limelight can be just spectacular unpruned. So it's kind of one of those things where is that strictly necessary maybe nice to have in most situations, but you make your own decisions based on what you need.
Speaker 1: Great job, Margaret. Linda writes to us, have just come across your on air show today and I'm hooked. Thank you very much, Linda. I do have a question. Two years ago I had four crape myrtles removed stumps, grounded, way too close to my house and hard to maintain. The following spring, they began creeping back up. Strangely, the new shoots grow in a circle and very thick at each remaining soil mound. I have sprinkled, sprayed two four D charcoal starter fluid burning them, salt vinegar roundup. Wow, they keep coming back.
Speaker 2: He's trying it all, i'd think. Yeah.
Speaker 1: My question is if I plant something in that spot, do you think all of the chemicals I've sprayed has damaged the soil so that it will kill anything I plant there? And do you have suggestions as to what might finally do a way with these shoots? Thanks?
Speaker 3: Love your show, Right, okay, so you know take it away, right, So crape myrtles and I feel like we've been talking about crape myrtle quite a bit lately for a variety of reasons, and crape myrtles are definitely a Southern plant, but they are hardy and then people expected. And one of the reasons that we are able to grow them successfully up here in USDA Zone six, especially shrubby varieties like our center Stage series, is because they can grow from their roots. They can grow from the ground. So if we have a very harsh winter here, they grow up from the roots. Now, what that means for you as a Southern gardener is that they can grow up from the roots.
Speaker 2: And I'm not.
Speaker 3: Sure if your tree service there didn't do a great job grinding the stumps, because normally, when a stump is properly ground, everything should be gone to the point where this would not happen.
Speaker 1: I'm just still sitting here shell shocked. I wanted to make sure I read this right. Using charcoal starter.
Speaker 3: Yeah, she was burning it, trying to burn them barbecued close to the house too. So so okay, a couple of things there. So the the shoes that you're seeing are coming from roots that are still in the ground. And when I say roots, I don't mean like little tiny hair roots like a running perennial. I mean there is a portion of the woody plant, like the trunk or something still in the ground. Yeah, yeah, and so you need to dig back to that and you can take a little hatchet and try to ax that out. You could also, you know, trying to use an herbicide on this, I think is going to be really difficult because the shoots that are coming out are not big enough to absorb enough chemical to translocate into the remaining part of the plant and actually, you know, kill the plant. So I'm not sure that's going to help. I will say I have heard that if you cut backsuckers like these in late summer that will stop them because the hormone levels in the plant are such that it won't keep trying to grow back. If you can try waiting until summer. Otherwise, I think you're gonna have to, like I said, get a little hatchet and start trying to hatch it out whatever part they're coming from. So don't just cut them back when you see them, trace it back, you know, dig away the soil, trace it back to whatever part of the plant is in there. I wouldn't be surprised if it's the whole stump, especially since these are coming up in a circle. It sounds like the tree was cut off and the stuff that's left is all is where it's coming up.
Speaker 1: And if you were to apply some sort of herbicide, remember it's taken in systemically by the plants, so you're not let's call it poisoning the soil. What you're doing is the plants taking it in systemically, meaning if you do try this again in the future, falls the best time to do it.
Speaker 3: Yes, fall is a good time to do it, so you don't have to worry about the herbicides that you applied making the soil unhospitable for something else, the salt potentially, because of course salt is not a friend to the soil. But the good thing about salt and soil is that it leaches out very, very easily and quickly. So if you live in a rainy climate and or you have irrigation, unless you went absolutely bonkers crazy with the salt, it will already be leached out. So I don't think you need to worry about that vinegar. I don't know same kind of thing. I would think that any moisture, you know, regular irrigation or rainfall is going to take care of that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think so. I just have never heard charcoal starter, lighter fluid.
Speaker 3: Well, I wouldn't recommend that, especially being so close to your house. But you know, eventually you can exhaust the plant, but it is going to take some work. But like I said, I think if it were me, I would sharpen up that hatchet, try to trace it down, and just get all your aggressions out trying to chop up whatever's left in the soil there.
Speaker 1: I could go for a good burger right now. I guess I'm hungry. I didn't need lunch.
Speaker 4: Okay.
Speaker 1: David asks, I want to plant Miscanthus gigantis grass as screening the spring. What should I do to my unworked soil for the rhizomes very aggressive plant? I grow them in beach sand I would say, you know, David doesn't tell us what kind of soil he has. If it's a heavy clay soil, that can be a little bit of a problem because the roots are too wet and it can kind of keep the plant from not growing as aggressively as you want it to. So just work in organic matter into the soil and you're going to be fine.
Speaker 3: Well, you know what I wanted to say about David's question, and to a lot of people in Michigan, who have clay soil, which is just wild that you know, grow gardening out here on the lake shore sand all day long and you just go a little bit inland and it's clay city. But I have a tip for people who have clay soil that is difficult to dig in, and then is start with a smaller plant. You know, if you can get smaller plants like mail order or perhaps your garden center sells them. If you have clay soil, and especially if you're trying to plant something big with a dense root system like an ornamental grass and especially Misscanthus, there is no forgiveness. You're going to need to make that hole every bit as deep as it needs to be, which can make because you can't squish it down like some things you can kind of collapse the route and you know, get it in there. Not so with them as canthus. So start with a smaller plant so you don't have to dig as big of a hole. But overall, I don't think you need to really do too much at all. They'll be fine.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I say, just prepare the area, the general area work in organic matter. We've always said, Stacey, don't dig a hole and put some soil in it, plant in it. You're creating a bathtub. Yes, spare the general.
Speaker 3: Area and starting small is just I think a great way to deal with gray soil so you don't have to dig quite so much, or you know, move out to the lake shore. That's a great solution as well. All Right, we're going to take a little break. When we come back, we've got Mike Connor talking about pollinators and sprinkling up, so please stay tuned. Thanks for listening to the Gardens Amplified podcasts brought to you by Proven Winners Color Choice Shrubs. Our award winning flowering shrubs and evergreens are trialed and tested by experts with your success in mind. Learn more at Proven Winners color Choice dot com.
Speaker 1: Welcome back to the Gardening Simplified Show today for segment four, branching news and interview with Mike Connor, honey Tree Arborus Services, former grower of pollinator friendly trees. But Mike is an arborist, a certified arborist, a beekeeper. I know he's a speaker, much sought after and soon to be an author. Mike is well, I'm gonna say Honey Tree Nursery has this goal of basically getting people to plant pollinator trees and care for trees. I think, Mike, your motto always was plant a tree, save a bee, or something like that, Right, Mike, that's.
Speaker 4: My t shirt. That's right there, you go, and a tree, save a bee.
Speaker 1: You know, it's a good reminder for all of us, Mike, as we enter spring and trees start to bloom, just how important trees are. Many people think clover and other plants, but boy, a tree is a pretty effective way of providing pollen. Correct.
Speaker 4: I was just reading to report put out at Kentucky State University several years ago where they said that the most important spring plant for pollinators is red maple. Oh by far, it produces more flowers per cubic meter than almost any other plant in the springtime, and it's actively visited by honey bees, by native bees. I recently saw them being visited by what are called cellophane bees from one of our native bees. They're already out, they're already building up beehives, and they're so important for our early spring build up.
Speaker 1: You know, Mike. That makes sense to me because in the morning when I get up, I just kind of I'm groggy and I kind of just wander off to the the coffee pot. I have one thing in mind, a cup of coffee. And I would think that bees as they wake up in spring, they're they're looking for some flowers. And if red maple is gone to work early in spring, wow, it's a great resource.
Speaker 4: It really is. Rick and red maples are of a range that consists from Maine to Florida and all the way over to the Mississippi River, and then the cultivarts go beyond that, so it's ubiquitous. It's a really important tree.
Speaker 3: And you know, it's a shame because red maple is so beautiful. It's native and has much better fall color than any of the maples that are more widely planted. Silver maple and norm maple. I'm looking at you, but how do those compare? I mean, do they still have some value? Like you know, I have a massive silver maple in the eastman Or Parkway in front of my house. I didn't plant it, of course, it was there for some reason. All of the trees, every single tree that was ever planted in my yard was the worst possible choice. I don't know what the previous owners were thinking, but there is a massive silver maple, and of course it's covered in flowers. So does that still have some benefit, just not as beneficial as a native species.
Speaker 4: Well, actually, silver maple is very beneficial to the early pollinators because it's the very first tree to bloom in the spring. It comes out before the red maple. You know, the red maple depends on the gree days. It has to have a few degree days under its felt before it opens up, but the silver maple does not. It just has to have a chilling period. Once that chilling period has been accomplished, then the very first or second warm day above fifty five, those flowers open, and the flowers at the top of the tree open first, and then the side of the tree, and then the bottom of the tree. And the pollinators are out there as early as late February gathering nectar and pollen from those silver maples. And little note, the silver maples don't really care about the bees. They're not insect pollinated, pollinated by the wind. But the silver maples and the red maples produce nectar because it's are you ready for this, it's an ana freeze and it keeps that ana freeze around the ovaries, so they don't freeze, and they're able to be fertilized, they're able to develop, and the honeybees are taking advantage of that pollen and nectar as their own resource. It's a great relationship.
Speaker 2: That's amazing. I had no idea. I never heard that before.
Speaker 1: That is interesting, very interesting. So, Mike, in our first segment I mentioned GDD growing degree day accumulation a good thing for people to understand, and it's interesting you talk about the silver maples and the red maples along that line. As far as emergence of these native insects is concerned, there's a lot of confusion on how we should clean up our yards. Should we rank up to leave, should we prune everything back? How much disturbance should there be? As a pollinator and be expert, what's your advice on that?
Speaker 4: My absolute advice is be lazy, hold off. Don't get excited about cleaning up your perennial gardens early in the spring. It's very important that we leave those perennial gardens intact because those stems that are two years old are serving as a nursery and they're holding area for our overwintering native bees. Sixty percent of all the native bees that we have in the United States are ground dwelling, and when you rake that up and you kill that up before those bees get a chance to emerge, you can kill those pollinators in your perennial garden, and during really cold weather, those bees will return to some of those locations and escape the wind and escape the rain and the freezing temperatures. So my advice to people, and I know a lot of people will appreciate this, is don't clean up your perennial garden. Don't be anxious to do that. The later you can wait, the better. The very first ones to come out of our native bees are what we call the cellophane bees, and they're out gathering pollen and nectar right now and they are taking that back to the holes in the ground and they are feeding their larvae, and they'll be gone in two weeks. So I would recommend that we wait at least until the vinka the vinca in our area are in bloom before we start to rake and destroy those natural nesting areas for the bees.
Speaker 1: So I was right in the first segment, Stacy Mike. I told people to clean out their shed and work on their or hoses, and irrigation equipment.
Speaker 4: First, sit out, drink another cup of coffee. Yeah, don't be so anxious. And it's not just the bees, but it's the chrystmases. I'm sorry, Yeah, the chrystmases and the cocoons that are out there for our other pollinators. When they take those up too early, then we're destroying those native natural pollinators that we have in the garden.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and you know they're so well camouflaged. I know, a couple of years ago we found a cocoon here on the grounds at the nursery, and you know, it looked it would be easy for someone who wasn't looking for it to have just you know, tossed it out. But instead we got to watch this amazing moth emerge.
Speaker 4: You know, when I was a kid, we were big into bugs, and when we found those cocoons, we would put those behind the screen in the house, and so when those hatched out, the females would attract males by the dozen, and at kids, we could see those those male bees all fluttering around to come to visit the female, and then of course we let the female go. But what a great science experiment, what a great introduction to nature for kids. You find those cocoons, put them in a screen cage, and when they hatch, that protect them from birds. And when they hatch them the males and hopefully you've got a female, we'll come around to visit and say hi and let them all go and we can perpetuate that generation for another year.
Speaker 3: Well, you know, I think everything that you're saying is, you know, people here all the time now with social media and everything, you know, leave the leaves and blah blah blah, and and the bees, and they think that they're helping honey bees because of course most people when they think bees, they're thinking of honey bees. And you know, you're talking about all of these you know, vital and really interesting you know ecologies that exists, you know, right in our own backyards, and so many of us just kind of plow them over without thinking. And you know, for all of these catchy phrases like leave the leaves, there's not a whole lot of information there as to why and what's the you know, what's the joy and what's in it for us as homeowners and gardeners. And so I think it's so good to hear about all of these interesting things that you enable when you just give everything a little bit more time and space before you you know, humanize it.
Speaker 4: That's right, that's right. I'm a firm believer of that. Hold off a little while on cleaning up your spring debris, because that's what's best for the native pollinators. Now for our honey bees, now that's another topic, because honey bees, of course, they're the ones that are out there doing the bulk of the pollination. They're the ones that are coming through the winter as a colony of five thousand or more bees ready to get out there and pollinate, as opposed to our native bees which are emerging as a colony of one, and our queen bees and our honey bee hives will be producing right now maybe a thousand new babies a day, and they're all going to mature and then get out there to pollinate our gardens and our crops. But they are the major force for pollination. But we need to preserve all of our pollinators, not just the honey bees, but also our native bees, butterflies and of course hummingbirds and things like that. I find promoting the planting of trees for bees because most of our trees that we promote our good for our native beast and our honey bees. Some of our native trees are not good for honey bees, they're good for our native bees. So I like to promote trees that are beneficial to both natives and honey bees. That would be things like our lindens and our pulip trees and cornisimonum, and those types of things are so productive for both species. So we don't have to be exclusive and say I like one more than the other. Let's provide enough forage for both of those.
Speaker 1: That's fantastic. We're talking to Mike Connor Honey Tree Arborist Services, and Mike is a beekeeper, a certified arborist, a speaker, soon to be author. And I'd love to talk to you about that book at some point, Mike, because I think a lot of people are going to be very interested in this book. You write with your experience. I mean, you've been doing this be thing for I'm going to call you out here because I'm in the same group with you. How long have you been doing this, Mike.
Speaker 4: Well, I'll let you do the math. I've got my first hive of bees in nineteen sixty six. Wow, I was twelve years old and I ordered it through Sears catalog.
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh, I've got.
Speaker 4: Bees ever since. And at my peak I had about two hundred hives of bees. And now it's more back to a hobbyist observational status. And two of my daughters are interested in carrying on bees now, and I'm really excited about that.
Speaker 2: Love that is great.
Speaker 3: Now, so I have heard, and you know, maybe you can reassure our listeners because you know, even as much as people hear about bees being beneficial, most people think bees stinging. Don't want to encourage them.
Speaker 2: Now, is it.
Speaker 3: True that most of our native bees, like the celphane bees that you mentioned, et cetera, are not singing.
Speaker 4: They rarely, rarely sting, and if they do sting, it's almost negligible, it's a small pinch. I think that the many times I run into cellophane bees, you can take them with your hands. I'm not recommending you do this. You can get them in your hands, you can them out of the air, you can look at them, examine them. And I've never been stung. I even think if you stood on one barefoot, that it would be rare to be stung by a sellof ae B or one of these early native bees. It just is not a major factor. Most of these large bumble bees that we have flying around, they don't want to sting you. If you grab one in your hand, well then that could be the exception. But rarely will you be stung by a native bee. Rarely.
Speaker 2: So that's you know, it's win win.
Speaker 3: So you're helping these creatures that need our help, that are really being you know, their populations are being damaged by our own practices, and you don't even like they're all benefit, no harm, They're all beneficial.
Speaker 4: I don't see any harmful sides to these native bees at all. Mike.
Speaker 1: I wanted to quickly ask you something that I'm passionate about, and that is diversity in the landscape. We're talking about early spring things like red maple, but it's important to have diversity in the landscape because this bee thing, so to speak, is a season long thing. It's not just early spring.
Speaker 4: Oh, Rick, I'm so glad you asked that. There's a springboard for me to jump onto a new topic. Springboard that is that, Oh boy, our native bees rarely fly more than a thousand feet in their entire life.
Speaker 2: Think about that.
Speaker 4: They have got to have the diversity within a thousand feet. There are exceptions to that. Some of our bumblebees, for instance, a native bee will fly further than that, but most of our native beasts will fly less than a thousand feet in their entire life. That means you need a diversity of flowers from spring until fall to hit most of those major groups of native bees. Our native bees usually only live about two weeks, that you know, and then they're replaced by another native fee and then another native different species, a different genus. But if we don't provide a continuous supply of food for these bees, then we're going to miss out on some of the genuses and species that are available in our area. So I recommend the diversity always continuous bloom if we can do that. And then we get into things like the honeybee, which is you know, they just have to have a lot of resources because they're raising a lot of babies, and so no one plant provides all of the essential amino acids they need for the protein to raise those babies, but combinations do, such as red maple and pussy wallow. Those two provide a balanced diet. A lot of our fruit trees will provide a balanced diet, but not one individually. So we need to have that diversity not only in the trees, but in our forbes and then are smaller. What are ornamentals that we plant in our landscape because we need that we need that diversity of pollen for the essential amino acids.
Speaker 1: What a great sales pitch for plants on trials?
Speaker 3: Yes, indeed, yeah, And I'm absolutely I'm wondering, you know how So I think you know, what you're saying can resonate with a lot of people, but they kind of don't know where to start. And you know, Rick and I have talked about many times how certain plants in the garden center industry end up getting prioritized simply because they look great when people are in the garden center. So you know, a lot of landscapes kind of end up really just centering these plants that look great in that spring moment when they're in the garden center. So what are you know, some of the things that people can look for. Is is it a matter of bloom time, is it bloom shape, is it shrubs, perennials, Is it just kind of trying to combine all of these. Is there some sort of you know, secret recipe so to speak, that we can be working towards.
Speaker 4: You know, you can buy list You can get lists online. Unfortunately, and I mean this with all of sincerity, most of those lists are not accurate. And I'm not trying to be a know it all here, but most of those lists are based on somebody else's list or on somebody else's personal opinion on what's valuable for pollinators. I think that if you plant plants with a diversity of color, shape, and blooming time, that you generally match what those bees need. Now, that doesn't mean you only have to plant natives. And I know I'm going to get in trouble here. I'm sorry for that. But there are a lot of good native oars and cultivars and even non invasive plants that we can put into our gardens that help fill those gaps here here.
Speaker 1: I appreciate that, Mike, you're preaching to the choir there.
Speaker 4: Buddy, all right, we need to fill those gaps. So there's nothing else that's native filling those gaps such as early spring and late fall and early spring in late fall, you know, I promote the trees. There aren't a lot of plants out there that are providing large quantities of nectar or pollen in the spring, but we can plant things trees shrubs that do that. We can plant trees and shrubs in the fall that help fill that gap. Of course, one of my favorites is seven Sons, but I think that's my personal preference there. I love those trees we can do. In terms of cultivars. When we look at butterfly bush, I think that proven winners not giving you a plug here, But you guys have some varieties of butterfly plants that are even more productive than the native plants, and I think we should embrace that. We should plant those, We should acknowledge that that there are some things that are better than just the native plants, and they're better for our pollinators, and they're better for our environment and for our gardens, and they're pretty as long as they don't become invasive, and they're not invasive. That's what I tell people. I'm not necessarily a native person, gets me in trouble, but our honeybees are not native. Our honey bees aren't native, and they need to have some of the resources from our non native plants as long as they're not invasive.
Speaker 1: I agree. I mean, what is it people? Do you know in meetings they pound on the table or whatever. I mean, Mike thumbs up to you, buddy, I agree, well.
Speaker 2: Thank you. I agree to you.
Speaker 3: And what's interesting is that it sounds you know, you can frame this in a way that insects like their gardens very much like we do. Colorful and with lots of flowers. And so if a garden is looking good to you as a gardener, you know, for a long period during the season from spring until fall, with a good diversity of flowers and different things coming and going, than chances are that's also going to look pretty good to our native insects as well.
Speaker 4: Yes, yes, you've got it, you understand it. That's correct, and that's for our native bees. And then again, put on my other hand as a beekeeper, in that is that our honey bees need large resources of flowers that are all blooming at once, such as a flowering tree or a large metal, not a small metal. Honey Bees don't profit from a small pot of flowers. Their needs are too large. They need to gather a large quantity of nectar over the season and a lot of pollen. We need to have plants they're out there, or meadows they're outer there that are providing large quantities of nectro and pollen at one time. And that's what I push. And that's what a tree is. A tree is a meadow in the sky. And if we have a tree that's in bloom, a flowering crab apple, or a flowering maple that's in bloom, or Sepphora japonica or seven sons. Now we have a medal that's sitting in your yard that has a very small footprint, maybe only a couple square feet, but it's a metal going up and that metal going up can be planted next to a metal on the ground and we get double the flowers available for our pollinators.
Speaker 1: His name is Mike Connor. He's a certified arborist and beekeeper, a speaker, and Mike, I'm always inspired after talking to you, I sincerely mean that I can see why you're all the buzz. Can you share with people your website?
Speaker 4: Well, my website is Honeytree Nursery dot com and I don't even mind if you a personal question contact me via email, which is Honeytree nursery at Yahoo dot com. I'm happy to answer questions, love to do it, and I'll even take some flack from people. That's fine. I have broad but if you give me flack, give me facts like it.
Speaker 2: I like it.
Speaker 1: I like that a lot. Mike, you are a joy, I tell you what. Thanks so much for joining us on the Gardening Simplified Show today.
Speaker 4: Thank you for the invitation. I do appreciate it.
Speaker 2: It was a pleasure, Mike.
Speaker 4: Thanks, thank you.
Speaker 3: Wow, I am so inspired to get out there. If only it were warm enough to see an insect.
Speaker 1: He does that to me every time I'm fired up.
Speaker 3: I am too, so thank you so much to Mike from Honeytree Nursery. Thank you, Rick, thank you, thank you Adriana, and thanks so much to all of you for listening.
Speaker 2: We hope you have a wonderful week ahead.