Speaker 1: Hello, and welcome to episode eighty eight of Game Spot after Dark Game Spots Official video game podcast. I'm your host Jake Decker, and joining me this week is Lucy James Tomorrow.
Speaker 2: He's saying, only podcast standing up now.
Speaker 1: Actually got a I just I just ordered a stand up desk, and I'm very excited to stand up. For what it will be, I don't know, but here's the pro tip.
Speaker 2: Make sure or if you can get yourself either a map to stand on or a you can get these balanced boards which are real good, Like they very slightly off the ground and they just activate your legs and you're to keep it kind of moving. Otherwise, even stand in place software all can be bad because you're not actually moving around. He just planted, So it's good to have those boards. It kind of like micro trains your feet and your muscles around your legs.
Speaker 1: Interesting. I ordered I think they're called uplift desks maybe I don't know. You sent me the link. Yeah, and it was like you can buy extra you buy extra stuff for it, and one of the extra things was a hammock you can put under it, which it's like, I mean, I hey, that'd be kind of cool. But also like when everyone's working from home, I don't really need a hammock under my desk. You know, it's like, wow, I got my bed over here.
Speaker 3: Just speaks to mine who's never had a hammock under his desk.
Speaker 1: You know, Yeah I haven't.
Speaker 3: When are you missing out?
Speaker 1: Also joining us is Jean luck Syke.
Speaker 4: Hello. I didn't want to speak until you said my name.
Speaker 1: Sorry.
Speaker 4: Yeah, the podcast rules and I must follow.
Speaker 1: It until.
Speaker 2: How do you feel about hammock Sunday a desk?
Speaker 4: I would love that if I could. My underneath my desk is a horror fine rats mest of cables, so I could kind of make a hammock out of them if I wanted to sleep.
Speaker 1: In that a cable hammock. That doesn't sound good. I feel like I feel like I'm just watching monitors and computers tip over and cameras falling over.
Speaker 3: I have. Twenty nineteen, I traveled a lot, like I did three trips back to the UK, I went to Japan. I did a couple of other things, and I bought a hammock for airplanes for about ten dollars from Amazon, and you can attach it under the the table rest thing in front of you and you can just like you have your feet up, and if you've got a spare chair next to you, which were a couple of the flights I did, you can kind of lean off to the side and just put your feet up a bit. Just top tip ten dollars.
Speaker 1: There are a few things better than getting on a flight and realizing that no one is sitting next to you, or even better, you have a lot of legroom, like you're in that weird space between cabins and you just have a lot of legroom. It's the best thing, especially a special legs are as long as mine.
Speaker 2: Every now and then, like something travels around like Twitter or read It or any other like pop culture website, which is someone doing something new and horrifying on a plane. Remember a little while ago, it was the one of people who could like lock people's seats ahead of them from reclining or something like that by putting something on it, so it's like you could deny them that. That was like messed up. The other day, I saw an image of some lady sitting in her chair, and she has very long hair. But what she had done is she had draped the hair over the back of her chair. So if the person behind that person is looking at her hair, that's coming over. I was like, that is genuinely opened the plane door in the air and ejected persons. That is horrifying.
Speaker 3: I thought you're gonna talk about that weird video where it's like the girl licking something off a toilet seats.
Speaker 1: That I saw. Yeah, don't see that one. Don't think I want to see that one either.
Speaker 2: Welcome to Hammockcast.
Speaker 3: I was gonna say big big hank scorpio vibes from us at the minute.
Speaker 1: Well, before we get into what we've been playing, I've should probably let everyone know that this is my last episode of Game Spot after Dark. It has been an incredible ride.
Speaker 2: It's like it's like someone and everyone is slowly leaving. Now.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well wait what no?
Speaker 2: Uh?
Speaker 1: But yeah, I mean I've been a game Spot for six years now. It is It's long been my dream job. It still is in some respect, Like I wake up in the morning and can't believe that I not only made it here but was able to spend six years in games media. I mean, especially considering how much games media has changed in the six years I've been here. Add on the fact that how much it's changed in the last ten fifteen years. It's just it's absolutely wild to me. I feel so blessed and so fortunate to have worked with all you wonderful people right now and over the years. It has just been incredible, and of course all the people listening like this show in particular. It was a work of love and passion. It's something that you know, when I started at GameSpot, like we kind of dabbled in podcasts a little bit. We used to have podcasts, but we kind of stopped, and it's something that I wanted to do for the longest time, but I didn't really have the not necessarily the clout, but maybe the experience under my belt to or the wait, I guess to like push around to get something like this started. So when it started, it was like, I don't know, probably one of my favorite things I've done here, and I'm very happy we made it to eighty eight uppisodes. I think I think that might be a record for GameSpot podcasts as of now.
Speaker 2: GameSpot podcasts, Yeah in the post, so there's two eras well. GameSpot has officially had two solid podcasts now the Hot Spots back in the day, which went for way more than aya podcasts. But many times people have tried to make podcasts happen since the hot spot and they just haven't done it. So Jake is the first person to successfully get a long running GameSpot podcast off the ground.
Speaker 1: Well, it wasn't just me. I had a lot of help from you guys, Lucy and John Luke in particular, and Peter Brown was a big help in the early days as well. Unfortunately, I was trying to kill it every step of the way.
Speaker 3: Peter Brown unfortunately.
Speaker 1: Didn't like it. No no, no, he was. He was pushing for it as well. But I feel like once we got it started and like kind of got the ball really rolling, he had moved on to Sony, But I don't know. It's something that, like, I'm like, it wouldn't exist also without the people who are listening to it, obviously, like all you folks at home who are listening every week, sending us questions, chiming in on the discord and whatnot, Like all that stuff means the world to me and all the folks here. I don't know what's happening with GameSpot after Dirk. I imagine it'll still be here, But I'm kind of going to pass the torch to Lucy and Jean Luke and Timore, and I imagine Michael will probably be on a lot more, which should be a lot of fun.
Speaker 2: It's still from kind of funny that time host.
Speaker 3: I mean, yeah, it's definitely going to continue. It's just obviously going to have a Jake shaped hole in it, but there's always the door.
Speaker 2: It's going to be what's that game show total wipe out where the wall is coming at them with the hole in it and they have to make the.
Speaker 3: Oh wait, is that not just called hole in the wall?
Speaker 2: Mightbe hold in the wall, but it's going to be Jake shaped hole. Every every person who comes from this point on is going to try to fit in a shape that is you, and they will always fail and get pushing platform.
Speaker 1: I'm taller than what a lot of people think.
Speaker 2: That's the problem. That's the problem.
Speaker 3: When you were talking about saying that you've got a standing desk, your posture is so good and you're so tall, I kind of always thought you had a standing desk.
Speaker 1: Oh, my posture is not good at least it's not like.
Speaker 3: More looking here, it's like you look like you're standing.
Speaker 1: Oh that's because I've got this thing back here. It keeps going back straight. That's a Richard tip. I saw him using it and I was like hunched over my desk like this, and I was like, hey, Richard, where'd you get that? And He's like, I just ordered a ball off Amazon and deflated it for like four dollars.
Speaker 2: Okay, Richard's that's as well. It's like it's got a humidifier insects burning.
Speaker 3: He's like, compared to the rest of us, he's got the best ergonomics I've ever seen.
Speaker 2: He's like his his his desk is in many ways is a tempole. Like you go in there and there's like KOI pond underneath his desk.
Speaker 1: See, I don't need a coil pond. I just want to like stand up straight. I don't want to shrink down. And I felt like that was happening, especially because this chair that I have isn't the best, and this desk isn't the best. Like it's not a real desk. It's like a picnic table with a thing over it. Because I needed room for monitors and these giant new systems and the camp I don't know anyway, anyway, that's the plan. I'm just gonna right when this ends, I'm just gonna wipe everything off my desk in one swoop and then I don't be it. I'm just kidding. I'm not gonna do that. I don't want anything to happen. Some of it I have to return. I don't want my PlayStation five to be damaged because if anything happens that, I won't be able to get one in a decade, it seems so. Yeah, anyway, let's move on to what we can play. Lucy, do you want to kick us off here? Yeah?
Speaker 3: So I haven't really Actually, why have I written these down when I could talk about the movie that I saw?
Speaker 1: I'mzilla I did? Wait? Was that it?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Okay, I saw that too last night.
Speaker 3: So I've been playing through Persona five while I finally finished The Casino Palace. I got through all that stuff, and I've just started on the Boat Palace. I took a bit of a hiatus from it, but now I'm back baby, still playing through Discolsium. I finished It Takes two with a friend of the pod, Simoncarty. We finally he called me out on the ign UK podcast last week.
Speaker 2: He basically issued sounded very bitter as well.
Speaker 3: I felt so bad because I have been really busy this week and last week, sorry, and I hadn't been able to play with him, and he he calls me out on the podcast. I was like, how dare you? So we put time together, got some time on Sunday and finished it. I really enjoyed it. I still can't believe how inventive it is when it comes to its boss fights. I also can't believe that it's so detailed, like every new section has new mechanics and just a buttload of detail like ever in all the environments. And it was just very cool, very fun experience. And now I'm playing through it with Zach, but I'm playing through as the other character, so I gets to see try out the other side of that. But I saw Godzilla versus Calm with Tam and a couple of other people who rented out of cinema, so there was I think eight people in an entire cinema masks on the whole time.
Speaker 4: Wait it just how much does that cost? Fifteen dollars cheaper than a normal ticket.
Speaker 3: Cheaper than a normal ticket. It was hard, it.
Speaker 2: Was normally was it cheaper? It was also dying.
Speaker 3: Somebody here, is this a bit.
Speaker 1: Or you choking actually dying if you say, goes through, Carl, I'm going to end this car.
Speaker 2: It's also safer, like way safer, And it was like a way more pleasant.
Speaker 4: Experience when you get a whole road to yourself.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there was no one in that entire screen except people we knew, and even then, because it was dark, people we knew couldn't figure out who we were until after the movie.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I just like, we're nowhere near any anyone else. But it was it was so weird to be back in a cinema. But I had I was, you know, masclar on the whole time, like I said, because still even though it's like obviously people you know and whatever and you're still spread apart, I didn't want to. I'm still very nervous. I can't wait to get on a plane time. I just actually looked and the time and I go back to the UK for a little bit. I just saw through visa stuff and the section that we're sat in still very very empty, so all good, But the rest of the plane is very very busy, so oh no. Yeah, but Godzilla versus Calm, I have not seen Godzilla King of the Monsters. However, my partner is a very big Godzilla fan, like he Godzilla's his boy. He's seen every movie, He's got the special edition Blu Rays. I bought him a Godzilla poster by if you ever seen the artist Attack Peter who did this incredible run of Godzilla Prince, and I bought him one of those last year. He loved Godzilla, and my first of a Godzilla movie that I saw, I saw the twenty fourteen sixteen one whenever that.
Speaker 1: One came out, twenty fourteen, towenty fourteen, twenty fourteen, twenty seventeen, twenty nineteen, twenty twenty one, for all of the monster movies that led up to Godzilla the.
Speaker 3: Monster Universe, and I remember enjoying it. I don't even think I even saw the Matthew Broderck one when I was a kid.
Speaker 1: That's good.
Speaker 3: Deeperonogram bit of Jamericua. Love it. But he very kindly explained everything that happened in Godzilla kingd the Mosters before we went in, so I felt like I had a greater understanding, but I still felt like I missed, just like a huge amount Kong I've seen Skull Island enjoyed it. This is a King Kong movie. This is not a Godzilla movie. Is barely in it.
Speaker 2: This is American propaganda. That's why it is American propaganda, because the way that movie.
Speaker 3: Unfolds, it's a sad dag is it's the first thing.
Speaker 2: It's a sad dang movie. But they like they are puppeteering that. So King Kong, who represents the fragile American ego, isn't hurt too bad because everyone knows Godzilla ships on King Kong from a height like them.
Speaker 1: It's made it much bigger too, Yeah, King Kong.
Speaker 2: It should not be that size.
Speaker 4: Scales the Empire State Building and like Godzilla is the Empire State Building.
Speaker 2: Also, Godzilla has nuclear breath and can fire nuclear lasers. It's nukillar and.
Speaker 1: Got an as.
Speaker 4: He's got an ax though.
Speaker 3: Yeah, which I didn't realize until Zach explained to me that the axe is actually made out of a bit of a Godzilla. Yeah, it's a bit of a Kaiju. I didn't get that at all.
Speaker 1: I just like the thinking, they're like, how can we even the plane field here? Godzilla is clearly stronger. I know, let's give him an AX, that'll be fine.
Speaker 3: But he needs he needs. Yeah, the ax stuff was cool. The so the thing I really loved about is like every time Kong and Godzilla respectively, were on screen, I was like, yes, I'm into this. I thought the human stuff with Kong, the sad dad part of the movie with the little kid and the researchers had no idea what Alexander Scarsgard was doing there or what his qualifications were because he gets up to some mad shit. That that part was good. That was a great movie. And then the conspiracy theory side of it happened. I was like, what the hell is it? So there is a guy who runs a com essentially a conspiracy podcast all about Apex. Who's the evil people in this, like this Apex corporation. He's like reporting from the front lines and he you know, talking about the impact of Kaiju and of Kong and whatever, and he's like they're up to something, blah blah blah. Millie Bobby Brown's character, so her mum was a baddie in the second movie or something like, oh okay, yeah, she was in there.
Speaker 1: Conspiracy stuff like didn't mean any car.
Speaker 3: That even I don't know why they did, like because she as a as a teenager, just tracks down this conspiracy theory guy and then for some reason, well the only reason is because they can't just have a teenage girl go and meet a grown man that she's met on the internet. So Ricky Baker, well, god, I wish I knew backed his name. Ricky Baker from Hunt from the Wilder People is there does nothing, and it's so weird because the tonal shift is like all the stuff with Kong is like, just leave Kong alone. He just wants to live. He wants to find his home, his family, yeah, home, and then the stuff with the conspiracy theory, it's like everything is equip and I it's the fucking Joss Whedon effect and I hate it and I'd be sorried to invoke the name Whedon, but like, not everything needs to be equip or it's just exhausting. And that was like this huge fucking pendulum shift in tone and it was terrible. It made no sense, but everything else in the movie was great. So it's like if you just cut them out, it would be so good.
Speaker 2: I'm just gonna say I don't understand people, like I don't understand me Bobby Brown like awful in almost everything I've seen, like even Stranger Things. I'm like, I.
Speaker 1: Like, you don't understand what she's saying, or you don't.
Speaker 2: I just don't understand why, Like which, why why are people so like into this like a Stranger Things, fine, whatever, But in these Godzilla movies absolutely awful. I get out terrible.
Speaker 4: I just find it.
Speaker 3: I just found the characterization really.
Speaker 2: Really I mean weird.
Speaker 3: And it's like May Bobby Brown is I mean good for her, like she's a millionaire and like she's also British.
Speaker 2: I think, oh, I take all that back, all.
Speaker 3: Of it done well for herself. But I just think that character is just.
Speaker 2: Like that's what I'm saying, like, just get rid of that character. Take get rid of Uncle you're famous as.
Speaker 3: Well, Uncle you're famous.
Speaker 4: The only character because I would love for them to like make a movie that just doesn't have any like human main characters. Well you could have humans in the movie, but just like.
Speaker 3: I don't know, show them screaming and running away.
Speaker 4: Or you know, responding to the threat. Like but it's just like I it's like they can't trust the audience to just like joy the monsters being monsters.
Speaker 1: That is one of the good things about this movie, though, at least compared to the Godzilla twenty fourteen Godzilla, this King of Monsters I don't I don't remember what they're called, is that this one is more focused on the fighting of the giant monsters than the other ones. So I mean when I watched that movie, I like checked out during all of the human stuff. Like I look over and be like, ah, now they're in Hong Kong for some reason. Yeah, it's okay. But but then like all of a sudden, the scene changes and like you get this ultra wide shot of the city and king Or and that Godzilla is like swimming through the water and you see his you see his scales sticking up or his spine sticking up, and you're like, all right, let's go. And the fights are fun. And they they fixed that thing that the last Godzilla had where everything was like really rainy and dark, so you like it was hard to see the fights. And this is just like we're gonna make it sunny all the time, even if it's getting close tonight, Like next scene is going to be during the day, just so you can watch them fighting the day and like all the shots are really far away and like the scale is really cool.
Speaker 3: But then Neon it looked really cool, like Neon. I mean this one shot where's all this neon coming through fog and just lighting them up and it just looks really really good.
Speaker 2: Have you John, Look? Have you seen Shane Godzilla?
Speaker 4: I haven't. I actually been meaning to watch it. Is that basically what I'm looking for?
Speaker 2: Well, I know it's got people in it where the people are basically office workers and scientists trying to figure out how they stop Godzilla. But it's not like army ship. It's like a bunch of pencil pushers, point dexters trying to be like, what what is this thing? And they're like, from a distance, going it looks like it can do this, this and this. Maybe if we tried this, and then Godzilla is like no, fuck you, and then you're like, oh god, We've got to figure out this. And it is like the best Godzilla film there is.
Speaker 3: That's another one that I've seen with Zach and it starts off and it's also it's way goofier than you would expect.
Speaker 2: It's also it's also directed by what's.
Speaker 4: His name again, Stephen gilling right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he definitely, so it's it's and he just reuses the soundtrack, saying that there's the entire songs that you're like, Yep, this is the Evengelian soundtrack straight up and it's phenomenal. Like, I can't recommend that it's on I think it's on Amazon, and I think it's on YouTube as well, but make sure when you rent it, you rent the Japanese one, because there's an English one and a Japanese one.
Speaker 4: Oh, they do that thing where it's like two separate down.
Speaker 2: Two different products. Like that film is a straight up like incredible banger. And also like there's a there's like versions of Godzilla, and one of them is the dirtiest the Godzilla.
Speaker 4: That I've seen.
Speaker 2: You've seen they his eyes are looking to different way really is like wiggling his booty is the best.
Speaker 3: He is an icon. I want to get a figure of him from my desk.
Speaker 2: Trying to quick though this one.
Speaker 5: Yeah, like whoa, yeah, it's so funny to me because in Godzilla vers is that Godzilla his face is like so tidy.
Speaker 3: And they basically show these shots where he does the Paddington hard stare into the camera but it's Godzilla and his face is so tidy that it's like, oh, he's so cute.
Speaker 2: But yeah, go team Godilla for life.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't know. I kind of liked that it was a movie about Kong in a sense, but I don't know. I thought that was like a good way to kind of blend in the human story to it. But it still doesn't really solve the fact that I didn't like the human story and I just wanted monsters fighting.
Speaker 4: Yeah, at least from the outside from what you guys have described, it sounds like, yeah, I would I would have for like, you just make Kong the main character because like I mean, look compared to like Godzilla, I don't think I think you can. Kong works as a more empathetic like character you can relate to because he's you know, he's an ape and more expressive. So like I think it sounds like making him the main character works. But then yeah, it's like just get just.
Speaker 2: Get that stuff with the little girl is good, Like I think she's the human stuff is there's a little girl who connects with Kong.
Speaker 4: Well that's always like that's always what I think Kong, like, like, Kong is a character like, you know, he always has like the woman that he needs to you know, protect and stuff. So having that element in there, I assume it is probably pretty important to like Kong identity as a character.
Speaker 2: The k to be clear that the movie is fun and it's worth for It's very fun.
Speaker 4: Yeah, the one.
Speaker 3: The last thing I'll say is that there is a female character in it who is immediately set up to be the bitch. And she she says stuff like I'm just here to keep you on track, and she says like other just god awful, cringe and shit like that, and I just I just want to say to any screenwriter, you can do better than women can be assertive, but they do not need to be a caricature like she was.
Speaker 2: They clearly, they clearly wanted that character to be a villain, and they didn't do any of the like new Ones intelligent work to make a villains. But they were like, how can we make people hate her immediately? And they just did that. Also, like they cut to Lance Riddick who says one line and then yeah, I was gonna do is he literally he looks like he They pushed him into the room and said say something and he went okay, and then they leave him. I was like, wow, he's in the openings.
Speaker 1: In the opening, it just like cuts to him at one point and he's like he's like okay, my gods all and then it just like I was like, wait what and then it just moves on line.
Speaker 2: I wonder you never see him again.
Speaker 4: Friends with the director and the director was like, get a camerao.
Speaker 1: And so apparently he has been in other movies with this direction. Learned that through Uh I watched Red Letter Media's review. I've talked about that, so I so I imagine that's why I was in it, But like I wish he had because he's such a great actor that doesn't get enough screen time. I feel like in a lot of things.
Speaker 2: Also, they were like big edits to the movie and the script, well you.
Speaker 3: Can you can tell. So my one of my favorite things that I've ever learned about the movie making process is how to look at credits and so if it's something like if there's an and, if there's an amand, it means the two writers work together. If it's an and that's been rewritten by an extra person. So that's how you can tell apart it's either I can't rememb which way around the and and the ampersand is. But it's like that's the way you tell. And this one had two people working together to write the script and then it had someone else to rewrite it, and I feel like that's where the two two years gone.
Speaker 1: I know. Also, like a lot of it is in contracts too, Like depending on what your contract is determines if you're going to be above the line or below the line. And if you're in the opening credits, you're above the line. And I imagine I don't know whoever his agent is is like, yeah, he'll he'll say that line, just put him in the beginning.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean yeah, I was gonna say, like, that's why Game of Thrones, which is weirdly back in the news this week because it's been ten years.
Speaker 4: Yeah, oh my.
Speaker 1: God, Skyrin is going to be ten years old too.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, no, So this was an issue that they would have and I remember, in particular, a certain character who you believe is dead gets revealed that he's not only alive, but is back as a character because he's in the main opening credits, And it is like a union thing that they have to be credited in such a way, and I was like, remember I remember tweeting at the time. I was like, if you don't want this huge things, but I will just fucking skip the opening credits.
Speaker 1: Should be skipping the opening credits anyway. It's good, But you know, I'm just I'm excited for the Snyder cut of this film, the four hour, the Zilla cut.
Speaker 3: I still haven't seen it, but like.
Speaker 1: I heard, you want to Honestly, I heard in the the Snyder cut, Godzilla has a lot more screen time. It's more about him. And they also had a lot of Mathraa in there too that they just cut. They just left on the floor.
Speaker 2: And it's like a lot of slow mode shots of Godzilla.
Speaker 1: It's also for three too.
Speaker 3: The only thing, the only bit of the Snider cut I've actually seen is the hot dog scene with the Flash, and that just makes me want to watch it.
Speaker 2: It's atrocious that scene. It's like Flash goes from being like, oh, this guy is uh, this guy's kind of quirky to being like, no, this guy's wrong, and he's like touching that girl who he's literally met a minute ago in a very creepy way. It's very weird.
Speaker 1: And then she disappears that.
Speaker 2: Because she was clearly meant to be in it more and I expect she'll be in the next movie because she's she's a key character that next. But Snyder cut, I had a lot of fun watching it. If you are able to alter your mind state in a fun way and watch it, it's.
Speaker 1: Sean Luke does not seem impressed.
Speaker 2: Watch the Snyder cut.
Speaker 4: That's not I like, I take edibles with everything. You gotta give me something stronger if I'm gonna watch the Snyder cut.
Speaker 2: Watch the great Yeah, honestly that it works in a way that there's just enough stupid things that you want to have some level of awareness and the ability to process something so you can laugh and then assess why it was ship. But by the end of it, you'll be like, you know what, I kind of enjoyed that I was one.
Speaker 3: That's all I want from stuff at the minutes. Have fun.
Speaker 2: It's good fun. I watched it in one setting, and there's a very few things that will compel me to stay there for four hours, but that one strung me along just enough with some fun ship that was like, I'm into this also, like it is.
Speaker 4: Very iron rand, like oh he is a Snyder is a huge Iron Rand fan.
Speaker 2: Is Yeah, he's massively Iron Randy and like he's a huge fan of that, and it is so clear, it is so good.
Speaker 4: Apparently it's like dream movie is to make like The Fountainhead. I think it's the fountain Head. Oh boy, yeah it is, yeah, And I was like really, like that's the like can you imagine like all the Snyder fans who are like into like his like you know, big spectacle like slow mo, and they all go watch The fountain Head four hours fountain Head.
Speaker 3: That objectivist literature.
Speaker 4: When you when you try to read.
Speaker 2: When you know is like proclivity for Ryan Randy and kind of like thinking you understand why his movies are are the way they are is very much why he frames, why he frames characters certain ways, and why certain characters have absolutely no depth and are almost like cast aside for other characters. It's because some characters fit into that view and others don't, and the ones that don't get chucked aside. Sorry Cyborg. In the original cut and.
Speaker 3: In this cut, but even in this cuts got way actually good because I was reading the Hollywood Reporter stuff about him, about his the actors experiences, ray Fish's experiences on the Justice League, and it sounds like a fucking first of all disgrace but also an absolute nightmare. And like all this stuff, the other stuff is becoming about, like reggae, John Page and the Crypton stuff, because like he was going to be Superman's Black Superman's grandfather, but they refused him because he was black. So that's like, this is all this big Hollywood report.
Speaker 2: I was like, the cyberwork stuff is infinitely better in this and the character is way interesting, but he also gets used for the same kind of like worldview. Also, have you seen that clip or that article about his the Cyborg catchphrase that they had an entire meeting about the use of the word boo yah? Yeah, teen Titan Cyborg is saying boo yah all the time, and it's like iconic. The minute I.
Speaker 1: Hear a production company have a meeting about whether or not a character should watch a or say a catchphrase, I immediately just lose interest. It's probably a big reason why I'm not super into the Marvel movies anymore, just because every scene I just picture someone in a meeting was like, Okay, here's what we have, Like on a white worms like no, just let the writers write please love.
Speaker 4: To bear on a fly on the wall in that meeting, Like, I hope somebody, somebody, some intern in there, like recorded the whole thing and has it somewhere.
Speaker 1: I need to know anyway. I have been playing Disco Lisium Final Cut still. I like I said last week, I am playing as the worst detective ever, and I have seen some scenes in that game that are brutal, like not what I was. I don't know that game is like that game is a hard m I would say it's very mature. There are a lot of mature themes. There's a lot of not violence, but like a lot of violent concepts that are put in front of you, a lot of like a lot of tough stuff to deal with. But like when you play just like as an absolute terror there you can get yourself into some very messed up situations very quickly. One in particular, I don't know if you guys saw this, but dude, you know kunos that girl behind the fence. I don't know if you know what I'm talking about, but there's there's a point where you have the option to shoot down the you can try to shoot down the and you can inspect it, and there's an option to aim the gun at Kunos because she's yelling at you the entire time, and you can pull the trigger. Oh no, there's like a for me. There was like a three percent chance, and I did it and I hit and the game just ended.
Speaker 3: Oh god, I didn't know you could do that.
Speaker 1: Neither did I. And I found it because I was like, I, of course, like what Finally, to be fair, I could not get the body the entire first day. Finally I go up to the body the second day, and one of the reasons I got it was because I had like a plus two, like you've waited long enough, you need to do this, So it just let me access the body after this time. And I was like, oh, yeah, of course I'm going to shoot down the body with a gun, because that's what I would do as this terrible detective I am. And she just belittles you and yells at you the entire time, and you have the option, and if you miss, which I imagine will happened most people, you just you just entirely locked out of Kuno's story. You don't get to talk to him anymore. Like but but that took me by surprise. I'm like writing a script for what it's like being the worst Detective. But I'm not going to talk about that, just because it's like I don't even know how to I don't even know how to get into that break that down. I don't want to break that down.
Speaker 3: No.
Speaker 1: I mean.
Speaker 3: The origins of that game is like this big tabletop thing that they, as the developers, were running. And obviously one of the great things about tabletop games like D and D is it's like it's just up to the player what they want to do. So they would have had to have included something in that on that like because there will always be a player in this case, totally Jake Deca, it's going to go for that.
Speaker 1: It's very much like like it just implies a lot of it though, Yeah, because I had a three percent chance and I did it twice. In the second time, I got lucky quote unquote got lucky. But like it doesn't actually say you hit or it doesn't say any of that. The game just ends. It was like success game over, like cop is Cop is like arrested and sent to prison and like all right, so but yeah, other than that, I still haven't gotten any of the new stuff yet. I've been going through it pretty slowly. It's kind of hard to make a lot of progress when my character is an actual idiot and like cannot do anything. I can't do any checks, Like I've had to save scum a couple times just so I can get through certain areas, but everywhere I go, it's just I just blow every single opportunity, which would suck probably in most games, but it's pretty entertaining in this game, because when you fail to check, it's like some elaborate fail state where you rationalize it all in your head, and then your character does something really stupid and then you lose morale and you have to take drugs to boost your morale again, and then you just have to recover from it and walk away, and then you can come back maybe a day later when you level up, and they're like, you want to try again. But it's it's really funny. It's it's one way to play that game. I wouldn't recommend it, I don't think. I think I would still try to speck into a certain role, but I also wouldn't be afraid to totally ignore some attributes in favor of other ones, just you can see how different things are depending on the kind of detective you play.
Speaker 2: Nice. But yeah, at least a patch today, so.
Speaker 1: They did, I was downloading it before.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm curious. I hope that fixes some of it. Like we said last week, I've been running into a lot of bugs, not a ton of bugs, but enough bugs where it's kind of annoying. Like I keep getting UI stuck on the screen. I'll quit the game, reload the game, and I'll have just weird bits of UI that shouldn't be there. Like I said last week, characters don't talk sometimes. I had one bug where I went into a dark area with a flashlight, but the flashlight wasn't lighting anything up even though it flashlight was on. It's just really weird.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I didn't have anything beyond the tech stuff.
Speaker 1: Really.
Speaker 3: I think that last patch, not the one today, but the one from last week did do a lot. But I'm making my way through pretty slowly.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: But also, like my repetitive strain has got so bad in my right arm. I genuinely think it's because my desk is I moved my desk around. I just haven't put it back in the right place and I'm just getting like the burning pains down my arm for a bit. So I've just been playing it one handed. This is what I've been playing a lot of that and Personas because I can play in one handed.
Speaker 1: I actually finished Persona five Royal last week. Cagey Kelly and I finished it. I forgot how long that ending is. It's like a bunch of different endings. They're all very good, and the Royal stuff was excellent.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I just I just got to the new Royal stuff and I'm not going to say what happens. Please don't because Lucy has isn't there yet.
Speaker 1: I will say is not either, but it's big.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I will say, holy shit.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: There's like an hour into the new stuff. I was like, Okay, I guess this is fine, and then something happens and you're like, oh whoa, yeah that changes stuff.
Speaker 1: But it's interesting. It's weird too. I'm glad.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm glad. It's very like unexpected in terms of narrative like experimentation, and I'm glad that I stuck through the Sheto stuff and all the other boring stuff that comes not boring.
Speaker 4: But like you've you've seen it twice.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I already seen it twice, and like this is my third play through of it. I'm like, oh god, but I'm glad I did it.
Speaker 3: Lovely platinum as well, by the way, Yeah.
Speaker 1: I think I think I might go back and try to get it.
Speaker 3: Maybe it's very like you don't have to max out or your confidence, you don't have to completely compendium. You basically just play through and most of the trophies are just to encourage you to go to like the jazz club and you know, do stuff. It makes it like the hardest one, not even hard, but it's like it's to max out all your skills, but you've got so much free time that I did that very early on.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's good. I'm very happy I finally finished it. Took a very long time, but it was definitely well worth it. I just really liked all the new stuff they added. I thought they did a great job incorporating that into the story in a very meaningful way that people, I mean people already are enjoying. But like, I'm very excited to hear what you guys think once you've finished it, especially considering how much you guys love the original. I mean myself as well. But what they do is really cool and it makes me very excited for more Persona In some way or another. Maybe it's just time for me to play three.
Speaker 2: Those three is hard to play three.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I was like talking about it with with Evan who was asking about playing it, and it's like, the problem with three is there is no definitive version of that game in the same way where it's like fours clear like go with you know, Royal for five and go with like Golden for four.
Speaker 2: It's like the fes right.
Speaker 4: So so so there's three versions. Here's the original, there's Fez, which is the same game, but they added an epilogue plus uh some extra extra stuff. There's like some stuff you can do with Elizabeth the Velvet Room Attendant. And that's the version of the PS two version of play. They also made a PSP version that came out after four, and it incorporates a lot of the like positive changes that Foe had. You can like it's like a three you cannot directly control your party members, which going back to that, now.
Speaker 2: Wow, then the amount of the amount of like yeah, I can't I can't stop this car crash from happening moments that game had you could just see like, oh no, I exactly how this is gonna go. I need you to do this one specific thing, and I just know you're not gonna do it. And they always have to do that.
Speaker 4: I've had the worst horror story where when I when I originally tried to beat that game, I was up until like one am. On the final boss. I get him down to literally one hit and the boss charms Yukari, who's my healer, and she diarram full heels the boss and I just sat there, no sp all my items gone, and I just literally cried. I just cried and I shut it off. I was like, I cannot do this. But but for as much as a as portable makes like positive changes like you can directly control your party members, they add a whole new alternate female protagonist, which is like legitimately like it's a whole nother game, Like all the social links are completely different. It's like actually like really really awesome. It's on the PSP, so the presentation is severely limited. It's basically like a visual novel. Yeah, whether it's just like static images and you're moving a cursor on you know, to talk to people and it's fine, like it was really good back then, but like you are missing a lot of that presentation, and so it's like it's so tough because if it was if that had come out on the Vita instead like Golden had, it had been like unequivocally like that's the version of play. But it's like the missing presentation is does does subtract a lot from the game. So I don't know. I always have a hard time recommending which version. But it's still a great game and you should play it no matter what.
Speaker 2: Right, No, before Sony goes on and bunks all the PlayStation stores.
Speaker 4: Oh, we'll get to that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, Actually, why don't we talk about that right now, Johann Lee, because I see you've been downloading some PS three games.
Speaker 4: Yeah. I was thinking about, like what if I've been playing, and I realized I haven't been playing anything. I've just been downloading stuff off my PlayStation three. So I pulled out my PlayStation three and I'm like, all right, let's let's let's do this. And then I realized I ran out of space because I the PS slim I have I think only had like one hundred and sixty gigs space. So I went and bought a terabyte hard drive, swapped that in, downloaded everything I had only took up like two hundred gigs, and so I was like, all right, let's go. So I've been slowly buying things that I didn't have. I bought all of the Ratchet and Clank games on PS three, so I bought like the all the Future trilogy stuff, Tools of Destruction, Crack, and Time Quest for Booty, and then I bought the HD collection, which was like, I think, like the first three, and then I bought Deadlocked, which I guess they did an HD remaster that was a PSN exclusive, so that is one that you can only play on the PS three and once the store goes down, it'll be gone. But I haven't actually played any yet. I think I'm gonna do that next week. I'm taking the week off, so I was like, maybe I'll maybe I'll do some Russian Clank. But yeah, just just trying to, you know, prepare myself for the PS three apocalypse when all those games are gone, trying to get when are they going. I think in June, June, July time, still some time, but yeah, I'm trying to trying to get that. I'm trying to get like some some PS two and some PS one games, you know, Like even though I like have a PlayStation one and I can like play metal Gear on it, I'm like, I should get metal Gear Solid on this again, I should get like Person of two on it, like.
Speaker 1: Metal Gear Solid four. Yeah, that's the only way you can play that game, right Or is it on PS four?
Speaker 4: No? I mean is it on Uh? I don't know if it's on PS now, but I don't count PS now because it's a streaming service.
Speaker 1: It's like I think you mentioned in a meeting too, how once this happens, you'll be able to play more metal Gear games on a x Box than you will on a PlayStation yah, which is wild to think.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, if you like think about it, because I was like thinking about it and I was like, how many it is on now? Okay, so at least you can play it on now, But like, I don't know, that's not the same. That's not the same. That's the streaming service. It's that doesn't feel like a good solution for that. But yeah, if you like think about like what metal Gear games can I play right now on a modern PlayStation system. PS four, PS five, it's Ground Zeros, Phantom Pain Survive.
Speaker 2: Does that really count? No?
Speaker 4: No, it doesn't count, just like PS now, it does not count. And that's it. That's all you can play. And then it's like, well, you go over to the Xbox. You could play Ground Zeros, you could play five, you can play Lay two and three. I'm pretty sure you can play peace Walker. It's like, damn man, like Xbox got more respect on metal Gear than Sony does right now, which I don't know, maybe that's not entirely someboy's fault also as well, but I just love that. I think that to me puts into perspective like how how important and serious this can be, because I think a lot of people you see it's it's such a bummer. You see so many comments being like, oh, who cares, We're all just old games. And I think people have this perception that it's like the games that are going to be left behind are games that no one cares about because it's like, oh, well, the games that really mattered got poureded. We're on other platforms like Uncharted. You know they have the Uncharted. You can still play in PS four and Last of Us, but it's like, Nope, can't play Metal Yourself four anymore if you don't have PS three, can't play Like it's like that's a big game. That's a big deal, Like that's crazy.
Speaker 2: That game has a monkey wearing a diaper, smoking a cigarette that sells your guns to be preserved.
Speaker 1: Teach you how to cook eggs too, Yeah, you.
Speaker 2: Funny sunny does that. But also it doesn't it drink loads of coke Coca cola. Yes, yeah, I think as well.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, he's got a sea machine in his back.
Speaker 1: I was just talking about generally, But yeah, the monkey does not teach you how to cook eggs, although that was cool.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Drebons monkey needs to be video game history and the fact that people can't easily access the game that that monkey is in.
Speaker 1: So crime Crime is a podcast is a podcast in the game to which we've talked about this podcast.
Speaker 4: The Metal Gear Solid Integral Podcast, which I don't know if they ever made more than one episode for that, but I thought.
Speaker 1: There were more throughout there was one area.
Speaker 4: There are a couple. All I would do is I just liked I would just pull up the little in game iPod and I would just put on a Sea Breeze from Metal three, which is like cool jazz and I would just like listen to that while I snuck through Q Seeds.
Speaker 2: Really really want to get up close with Snake's ass. That is the game to do it with because he will like, oh my god, they put some effort into animating him, like crawling from crowd Yeah he does that, slither Yeah does that? Weird? Say, slithers like a snake And when he does that, you will see his yeeks in glory.
Speaker 4: For those of you who were you know, sad about uh nerf and snakes button, you know, uh brothers. Yeah, now you're solid for game. Now you're solid for that's the game. You gotta play it.
Speaker 1: Sony put no respect on Snake's ass either. I hate to see it. It does make it does put into perspective, Like I think this is a lot worse because Xbox seems to have a very different approach right now, and I imagine part of it is just because the Xbox library is so much smaller than the PlayStation library, it's a little easier for them to corral those games. But still, it's just like crazy to turn on my PlayStation or my Xbox and play Black, which came out on Xbox Games that I never thought I play again, but it was available on game Pass, and I was like, Okay, I'll play a little bit of it and then go over to PlayStation. And it's just kind of like, can't really can't really play any of these older games. There's just kind of a bummer.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Sony believes in generations.
Speaker 4: Yeah, the the disrespect on the p S three generation is a massive, massive bummer and it's a shame that that, uh, you know, Sony doesn't seem interested in doing anything to preserve it. So it's up to the community, the matyrs, the less than savory legal means to keep some of those games alive, which are is, you know, not perfect, but I'm I'm hopeful that at least, you know, the community will keep those games alive the best they can.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, Sean Luke, did you want to talk about Oblivion too, Yes, because.
Speaker 4: That's the other game I've been playing. We've just been playing Oblivion pretty much like every night. We're like sixty hours in or something like that.
Speaker 1: Are you doing the story or you guys just uh doing whatever the hell you want.
Speaker 4: We did like a little bit of the story we're like, ah, we should do some of the stories we did, like the Kavach stuff, and you know, now everyone always says like it's you the hero of Kavach every time we run into somebody. But we like left Martin over at the Blades that were like, all right, let's go do the entire Major's guild and all the thieves guilds. So we we did the arena last night. We did all of the arena.
Speaker 1: Love that Champion of the Arena.
Speaker 4: I love the Owen. I think is the guy the the what's it called, like the blood Works?
Speaker 1: Oh?
Speaker 4: Yeah, guy, he is great. Like I love how he's just such a piece of shit to you. He's like he's like who are you. He's like, you know, like you're nothing, like get out of here, and he just like thinks nothing of you. And then like as you keep winning more and more fights, he just gets like really pumped on you and just becomes like your biggest hype man and you're like, ah, you're yeah, oh, and like you're great. Uh I was. I was talking about it with my partner and we were like, even though like every character is just voiced by like again like the same ten voice actors. There's like a couple characters that they just put like the extra special love into, like Owen or the the the Gray Fox. He always says Capital every time you do something for him, like even though it's like this is the exact same voice as the billion other imperials I just talked to, Like, you're putting the effort into this specific one and it kind of stands out, trying.
Speaker 3: To make this guy stand out.
Speaker 1: To see you guys, you've ever heard some of the filler lines that I think people found in the coat that did. Those are really good.
Speaker 3: That one because I watched your Oblivion piece. I've been recommended a bunch of oblivion stuff recently as that one is it.
Speaker 1: And then that got there's that video like Todd Howard's the best voice actor ever.
Speaker 3: That's the one I got. That's the one I got. My second favorite Todd Howard video, third favorite Howard video after the Todd Howard Who video that Rob made it E three. But also there is a subreddit called gay for Todd, which but it's just people making memes about Todd Howard and sometimes they do things like mods are Asleep post Pete Hines. There was one video that someone made and it's Todd Howard talks to you in the bathroom.
Speaker 4: Oh my god, Oh my god. I love that video. Oh my god, it's so good.
Speaker 6: It's so good, just like such a weird video and a guy putting on a really bad Todd Howard impression and it's just talking to you.
Speaker 2: And it's the effort to like make just like, yeah, make it sound muffles coming from like beond the bathroom.
Speaker 3: It's also are muffled. And then they do a thing where they open the door and it gets momentarily loud again. It's like it's such a it's such a weird little corner of the internet. But anyway, Todd Howard means.
Speaker 1: Howard means are good. Uh two more, what are you up to?
Speaker 2: I'll keep it quick because Howard. But let's go. I have been playing so Apple have like shadow dropped thirty new games onto the Arcade platform and there's a lot of bangers in there. Yeah, including the mobile game from Platinum Games, Demon or whatever it is that looks like Okami World.
Speaker 4: It is a good I don't have Apple and I love Okamie and I saw it and I was.
Speaker 2: Like, personally, if you want if you're going in there looking for Okami.
Speaker 4: Well, no, I know it's not Okami, but I love that art style. It's so so beautifore.
Speaker 2: I've played a little bit and it's kind of fun. Like I'm enjoying it so far.
Speaker 4: So I wanted you to tell me it was bad because I can't play it.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I mean, like it's five dollars for a month of Apple Arcade, so you could like do do a month and don't.
Speaker 4: I don't have an iPhone though, like when when I play around.
Speaker 3: John Luke, doesn't Georgia have an iPhone.
Speaker 4: It's a pretty old one though. I don't know if it would run.
Speaker 3: But she's in our family plan, so Georgia would have our Apple.
Speaker 4: You could try it. It might just self destructure her phone.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but there's there's a bunch of games in there that are like old games that are speaking about preservation. Again, Apple doing a pretty good job better than Sony anyway. They've kind of like brought back old classic phone games to and in like new versions to make sure that they're still available. Like Rains Is Back, Cut the Rope, His Back, Fruit, and Ninja's Back. They've like updated so they're not Do Threes Monument.
Speaker 3: Valley that's on Xbox Game Past.
Speaker 2: But the game that I've been addicted to is Tycho or Tuxagen. Hell yeah, Tap tap pop. Yeah, there's a version of Tycho drum Master on there, and it's fantastic. It's fantastic. It's brilliant like it is. It is really fun play it on your phone. I tried it on an iPad, I think, and it's very hard to hold up an iPad for extended periods of time while tapping. But like really simple Taycho Tyco drum Master, Tychogen, like a simple rhythm game, just really good song selection in there. You just tap it on the You tap either on the drum or on the outside of the drum to kind of like hit the right beats, and you've got certain like tap fasts when I hold it down, that kind of stuff. But really what really makes it is the song selection.
Speaker 4: I was going to ask what I have.
Speaker 2: It's got Cruel Angels thesis.
Speaker 4: Of course you have to have that on there.
Speaker 2: You have to have that. Yeah, it's got we Are from the opening form one piece. It's got the what the Hell's my Little Pony? Theme?
Speaker 4: Okay, on that yeah.
Speaker 2: Yes, it's got yep, it's got a headshell. It's got uh give me Chocolate by baby Metal, Okay, which is great. It's got a lot of good songs. Honestly, the best song in there is the tutorial song, which is just incredible, Like it is the coolest intro to a game I've ever seen. It's just like they it's like this very joyous, very happy group of singers who are singing to you and to show you how to play the game. And like they're singing the instructions and how to play the game, and by the time you're done, you're just gonna feel like overwhelmingly happy. Like it's just such a good thing. You go in to that game just like absolutely buzzing, and it's got like online multiplayer, and it's got a bunch of other like leaderboards. It's really really fun. But yeah, I think like that game alone is worth paying like for a month of Apple Arcade for for and then just you can knock that out really fun. There's a few others on there that are quite good as well. Clap Golf is basically everybody's golf spell Towers on there.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, you recommended that to me. Earlier today is it.
Speaker 2: Spell Spell Tower. So there's there's a bunch of zach Gage games on there, so Spell Toower, really bad Chess, and then I think it's like Flip Flops and Flip Flops Solitaire. I think it is like that. But yeah, zach Age makes a bunch of really cool games like simplifying or remixing games that you know the rule sets to, or teaching you games like good is what about teaching how to play in a really fun intuitive way. And then there's a bunch of other games on there, like Fantasian, the new game from is It Good?
Speaker 4: Yeah, Soker Gucci such good.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah. Because we've had so many emails from a former Final Fantasy person is now making X game. I think like I've lost track of them.
Speaker 4: That's the former Final Fantasy guy, yeah, Misster Final Fantasy.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah. And then there's like Cozy Grove Round Garden, but a bunch of really good fun games like thirty. Like if you were ever thinking about should I try out Apple Arcade, now is the time to do it because you can jump in grab a few games, even if it only is for a month, you'll get your fill out of it and then you're good and then beyond that, I've been playing Outriders. Outriders is a fun game. I don't think I like playing single player. It kind of is can be frustrating at times when there's certain area arenas that you go into where you're like, oh, I didn't it didn't really make it clear that there was going to be an elite enemy here, and I'm just clearly not equipped for this. Yeah, which sucks, but I'm excited to try and play it with some people, hopefully soon. I really enjoying the gameplay loop a lot.
Speaker 1: I was watching I think Cardi posted a gameplay clip of him like rolling around a lot and I looked at it and I was like, oh my god, I can't follow any of this and what's happening. I'm sure i'd build up to it, but I watched that for like ten seconds. It's like, I think I'm sick and stowed it away, but I downloaded on my Xbox, so I'm going to try it. At some point. I got to the character creator and was like, I can't do this right now, and then put it away. But one of these days you can.
Speaker 3: You can change that. I think at any point.
Speaker 1: You can change your character totally.
Speaker 4: You can't change what your character looks like. You can't change your class though, And that is my big recommendation is because.
Speaker 1: Yeah, which class is right for me?
Speaker 4: Which class is right for you? We haven't sint video up on GameSpot dot com or YouTube diarahmoslast game Spot. I literally just finished editing that right before the podcast. Uh, but I would it's very good. It's very good. Uh Jordan. Jordan did a lot of the heavy lifting on the video for that, so shout out to Jordan. But I would say, like a lot of my complaints I had about how I felt about the game, I think are not entirely but like a lot of it was related to my specific class. Like I picked the Pyro, and I that is just apparently not the class to play if you're playing that game single player. Like I was watching Jordan play the Technomancer, which is basically the vanguard for Mass Effect two, where you're just like zipping around with a shotgun, and I was like, Oh, that's that's what a fun class looks like. I should have I should have picked this, But you can't change so uh yeah, maybe go go look at a video and or our video, specifically to determine, uh, which class you should play, because yeah, Tam, I'm with you. I'm I'm I'm struggling to get through it a single player. I was trying to convince my partner to play it with me. I was like, look, I have it on it. I have it on PS five. It's free on game Pass. You could just you can play it on there. It's cross play, we can play together. Please, I need someone to play it with me. I'll play with you if you want. If you need someone.
Speaker 2: I'm done. Yeah. I think I play like in very short bursts because that game, I don't know. I just can't do long sessions of it after a while. Maybe it is a symptom of playing in single player but off roarms, like it feels like trying to walk a run up hill right now. I just can't be asked, so like I do one mission at night or something like that.
Speaker 4: I think it's good for that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think once, once we get a couple more people in, I think it will be more bet at all. Like yeah, long session of al Yeah.
Speaker 1: I have played a lot. Maybe I can catch up.
Speaker 2: No, if you want to catch up, now is the time to do it. I've done maybe three missions, so it's fine. Cut.
Speaker 4: The game is also apparently pretty good about like allowing you to go back and like join and play with my previous okay.
Speaker 3: Stuff, because you can change your world too.
Speaker 4: Because like I don't really care about the story, like I'll just like i'd replay that stuff because it doesn't really matter, Like you could just change the world tier and pop in wherever you want.
Speaker 2: A friend of the show Blessing was streaming it the other day and I like, he sent me an invite, so hopped into his game and I got wrecked constantly in his game. I was like, whoa, this is not scaling at all, Like I couldn't I took I could take like one bullet and then I was down. But there was one point where I was down, so I was doing the Gears of War crawling animation, but like I pressed the button and the character just popped up on its feet and just started running around like sonic, like real fast, and I could control them. So everyone was like, but I was clearly still dead, but I was instead of just being like hobbling on the floor, I was like sprinking around but in everyone's way because they're like, well, you should be dead stop.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I want to check that game out. I mostly just because the conversation around it is so interesting, Like some people who have really liked it, some people have really hated it, but everyone just seems kind of not confused about what it is, but just kind of surprised at what it actually is at the end of the day. For better or worse too, you know, I think.
Speaker 3: I mean the thing that got me that I genuinely was so taken it back by, and I believe it was snow Big Mike from kind of Funny posted a picture of the inventory screen and he posted it with is this Outriders or Destiny? Because it is exactly Oh yeah, and I was. I remember when I played the demo and I got to the infantry screen and I saw that and went, wow, they're not even trying. That's way too similar.
Speaker 4: It's also really slow that menu at least.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I tweeted about this, but like, why why do helmets in modern sci fi games all look like bins designed heads like it? It's just I'm so sick of bin Head with hood on top. Characters.
Speaker 3: Didn't bin Head go for Parliament in the UK?
Speaker 5: Lord Bucketead you Lord Buckethead legend.
Speaker 3: And then and there was actual Buckethead who played guitar.
Speaker 1: For peak British culture right there.
Speaker 3: No Buckethead was Buckethead was yours?
Speaker 1: Lord Buckethead was Lord Buckethead.
Speaker 3: I was gonna say Buckethead over here wore a KFC bucket and played guitar. Who did he play with? I said that, I want to say, like the guns and Roses, but I think that's bucket Head guitar.
Speaker 1: I've never heard about this before.
Speaker 2: Lord Buckehead is. If you've never seen Lord bucket just google Lord Buckethead.
Speaker 4: Version of what you think he's. He's the UK version of Vermin Supreme. I think we've had this exact conversation before.
Speaker 2: I just yeah, I just love Lord.
Speaker 3: Bockehead guitar player. Buckethead played with guns and Roses and continued to work at Michael Jackson Tribute. Interesting.
Speaker 2: Interesting, but we've a Phil Hornshaw did our review.
Speaker 3: He also played with Vigo Mortenson on Vigo Mortenson's album at All, which I had no idea.
Speaker 2: Wait, what there we go, We've got something to do this evening.
Speaker 1: Everyone.
Speaker 4: That's the pile of celebrities who have bands that we didn't know about.
Speaker 3: Seriously.
Speaker 2: So Phil Hornshaw dipped our review for Outriders and he finalized it today and he gave it an eight out of ten. If you'd like to read that, please, you can go to GameSpot dot com and see see you there. And there's also a video which was edited by one Jean Luke. Great work on that. So if you're of the if you're if you fear words on pages, prefer moving pictures, YouTube dot Com, Forward, Slash game Spot.
Speaker 1: I fear words on pages, yeah, especially when I have to read them out loud. All right, anyway, let's move on to ye to move on to listener questions. All right, and we are back with listener questions. If you've got a question for us, you can email us at after Dark podcast at readventures dot com, or you can join our discord by d ming any one of us, although I mean, I guess I could still bring people into the discord, but probably probably message John Luke tomorrow, Lucy. They'd probably be better at that. But you know, if no one's respawning to you and you desperately need to get in there to ask a question, you can hit me up and all, make sure you get in.
Speaker 4: The second you leave, I'm banning you from that discord.
Speaker 1: Okay, never mind, don't hit me up. I won't be able to do that anyway. First question here comes from Maria. Do you want to read this one? Lucy?
Speaker 3: Yeah, honor any games you like to play in unconventional or unintentional ways. I have a friend that has put well over one hundred hours into Skyrom without touching a single story quest. He simply explores. He simply enjoys exploring the world and role playing his character. Meanwhile, I'm about to turn into a mass murderer in diosonder too because I have zero patients and I'm absolutely pans stealth, but I'd still like to see where the story goes. Also shouts to Maria for using the British spelling of dishonored.
Speaker 2: Good work, great work, I.
Speaker 1: Mean I I thanks to Dirty Lardy. I play a lot of games as poorly as I possibly can, because people like to watch that and their fun to their fun videos to make so I see the side of a lot of games that people don't necessarily see. I mean, even John Luke and I and we did status party on the Citadell we played Effect in a way that I don't think many people played mass Effect because we made it to that final party, and I'll never forget when all of our surviving squad mates walk in and it was like three people.
Speaker 4: I had to make like a spreadsheet to like mathematically figure out the Oh.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we covered up like in one of the meeting rooms. We covered up every single whiteboard in there with just just plotting out our three game adventure of how we were gonna kill everyone, and then a fun bonus, you can also commit genocide in that game with the entire like what was it the Korean race?
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, because that was the thing. It wasn't just like, Okay, we're gonna kill everyone. It was like the death has to be the worst possible death each character could get. So I think like Rex, I like murdered on in.
Speaker 2: Three yeahs was rough.
Speaker 1: We let him live just so we could.
Speaker 4: So we could betray him, kill his entire race, and then kill him.
Speaker 2: I love the idea that at the end of this trilogy, in the climactic moments appear and they're like, this is way worse than anything we could have done.
Speaker 1: I think, But yeah, I'm looking back at that. I just remember. I think Sean U came up with the title Baldoin Shepherd commits genocide or something like that. We've really done it this time. I'm amazed they kept us around for this long.
Speaker 4: Peaked four years ago.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's there's like moments where you know, when you play fighting games, you eventually start to do stupid things like oh, I'll fight this person against you, but I won't jump even once, or I'll never use this kind of punch, or I'll never use this. So I did a lot of that against my younger brothers or friends.
Speaker 4: That I will see I would be. I would be the friend that they would do that too, so mad disrespects.
Speaker 2: So I did a lot of that, I guess, like yeah, other than that, like I usually if there's a stuff game, I will do it in a clean hands approach always.
Speaker 3: So I I am like I play things very traditionally, but I love watching let's play series of people doing things the quote unquote wrong way one beyond like dirt Ya he's had his party on the citadel and even I guess prepare to try in a in a weird because like Rory is obviously so or he was so inexperienced with Soul's games. It's it's wild. I've actually been going back and watching some of the early episodes and he controls the camera and moves and he's so twitchy. It's like he's playing a first person made Evil seven.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, if I can't Sometimes I can't watch it because he's like he's just constantly nudging that stick and I'm like, click stop. You know, there's no need to do this.
Speaker 3: But one one series that has always stuck with me that I really really enjoyed was Skyrim Rags to Riches on CVG that Andy Kelly did, where he basically just had a very plain and simple GNRD character that starts with nothing, just kind of ignores the main quest and all he has to do is just like try and make as much money as possible. And he had a dog. Did he call the dog cabbage?
Speaker 2: Yes? I know he was obsessed with cabbage.
Speaker 3: He was obsessed with cabbage.
Speaker 2: Remember if he got a dog and called it cabbage like he was just he was a cabbage like kleptomaniac. He would like if there was a cabbage, he needed it.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: His name was, His name was Olaf. The character and I can't remember what his his dog was called, but it was it was really good. I really enjoyed that. Also Top five scarey Mods of the Week with seven Cam and Kevin van Nord.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it was a good one. There were like some good I remember there was I forget exactly how it worked, but there was like an old obliving mod where it would spawn one uh invisible, unkillable zombie that would just hunt the player down. And it also made it also uh turned off like all of the like there's certain game NPCs in the game that like can die for like quest reasons. It disables that so anyone could die, and it just turns it into this like surreal horror game where you're just desperately trying to avoid the zombie and it's just killing everyone in its path, and like eventually, like the whole world is just dead.
Speaker 1: Literally it follows.
Speaker 4: Yeah. Yeah, this was like years and years ago before that movie. I remember that mod.
Speaker 1: That's pretty cool. Yeah, I mean I feel like Skyrim Oblivion are perfect playgrounds for that. I don't know if you guys ever messed around with that. A new Start, No, I don't think it's called a new start. That I forget what it's called, but there's a modern Skyrim that basically just lets you pick how you want to start that game, so you don't need to be the Dovid Well, I think you're still the Dovia Ken, but you don't need to be like, oh you cross the border. You can like spawn an I'm a homeowner, or I just got off the boat for Moro and and now I'm in Like it's like a nice little setup to each of these settings, which is pretty.
Speaker 3: Coo me zoid big hold on.
Speaker 4: Yeah, there's some great soccer mods, uh that do that. I mean, arguably you have to mod Stalker to actually play that game because the vanilla version that game is so unplayable. But there's a there's a cool version where it's like perma death and you will it'll like randomly put you in like one of the factions with a different like goal and identity, and you just like see how far you can get as that character before you die. I love I love games that do stuff like that. Like I think my big one that I always do is like I always try like no hud and and just like yeah because because I'm I'm mostly because I'm just like curious, like how well you can actually still play the game without it, Like, you know, does the game have like the proper especially open world games like the proper signage and like directions from NPCs to be able to like know where I'm going without just following the compass. Most games don't pass that test, unfortunately, but there are a few that do, like like Red Dead and which your three to some extent, I would say passes that, like I always love the Wild Breath of the Wild, Dishonored, and Dishonored is really fun to play with no hud. Yeah, like I really like doing doing stuff like that?
Speaker 1: All right? Uh to more? Do you want to read the next question here? I do? Yes.
Speaker 2: Are there any games you guys played through in your personal time despite them feeling like a big chore? If so, why did you stick with them? Thanks and keep up the good work, Gray Fox from Discord.
Speaker 3: I think there's definitely bits that you play through of games because you hear that it gets so much better after ten hours, Like I would, I would say that the opening ten hours of Persona five are a chore because it's it's very handholdy and it's like the story stuff is interesting, but obviously it's so much set up, and so I would say that those that can be a chore, especially like because I at least early and this is you know, not necessarily a bad thing, but like i'd played it in preview, so I already played that opening. I actually I actually had like a copy from Japan ahead of it coming out in the West, and so I'd already played a bit in Japanese before realizing that that was a stupid idea because I don't speak a lick of Japanese. And so I think replaying those, especially in close succession by the time I got code for a version in English, was like, oh, this is a chore. Now I can see. I can see that the cracks, like or at least the lines in the matrix teaching me exactly specific things. And so I think I think in some cases, I think every game definitely has lulls. It's not even though it was a big chore, it's just you know, repeating yourself. I suppose.
Speaker 2: I don't think I don't really stick with games if I'm finding them to be ature, just like I'll just like bounce off of them. Yeah, games almost like I can't I can't do this. I'm done because there's always something else to be doing these days. Like when I was younger, maybe I would stick for it just to be like I want to be knowledgeable, but these days, I'm like, there's too many things that I could be doing right now that will immediately be more fun later.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, I near Atama. I felt like a chore. I ended up enjoying it, but that was that was pretty tough for me to get through it. And technically I didn't even finish it. I just did the first ending and I know there's more, and I started it but then but then I like died during that starting thing, like forty five minutes in on my on the second campaign, whatever it is, and it put me back at the beginning. I walk around as this, I don't want to spoil anything, but there's something you do at the very beginning of that second run through that is incredibly slow. You just walk incredibly slowly as a character and you move water from one spot to a next, and I had to do that again. I was like, now, I'll come back to this later.
Speaker 4: It's the most Yoko Taro moment of that game, well, one of the whole game. But yeah, I yeah, I remember that game has this really brutal opening where if you die at any point, it kicks you back to the beginning because you haven't had to chose the hard save. H I love that game, but oh my god.
Speaker 1: All right. Next question here is from mister Blue and the Hey Folks Quick question this time. Has any game ever made you want to speed run it? If so, which game and why? Any from software game? I'll never be good enough to speed run it, but yeah, the second time you play through those games, I feel like you start to see how the world is put together and different routes you can do, and you immediately just start thinking of different ideas in your head, and like maybe not even so much speed running, but like just racing friends through that game, and like figuring out which path gets you which weapon the quickest you can do this and that like that that that stuff so much fun.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: For me, I think as well, Dishonored speed runs are so fun.
Speaker 2: There's a lot of them out there as well, so you can see people. For me, as Securer, like I I think the Securar is the most fun that I have playing a game fast like it maintains it's it's what makes it fun at a speed, Like a lot of games that I mean, like I'm not talking about sequence breaking and that kind of stuff, Like I'm talking about just doing stuff fast. A lot of games, like when you do do that speed run starting, you're kind of ripping out what makes them interesting and what makes them enjoyable. But with secular speed runs that don't do like sequence break or I'm going to jump into this out of bounds and that kind of stuff, you're just playing the game quicker because you're showing that you're just really good at it and you understand it. So like learning how to beat a boss super quickly is very very rewarding, very very.
Speaker 3: Some of your clips have been insane.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, you're taking out that first stage of the uh the Guardian ape fight in like ten seconds. I was like so much fun, and then like I'm gonna I'm gonna do that when I finally try to do that challenge.
Speaker 2: It's good. It's a good time, man. It's it's that's the game that I'm like, I fucking coming to this for a really long time. I'd have a good good time with it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, same thing I would say for me reson eval. Oh yeah, it's kind of the same thing, like specifically like the original games and like seven, like the because like tomor said, it's the same thing where it's it's less sequence breaking and more just getting really good at knowing like exactly like I need to go exactly here and pick up this item and then go right over here, and just like something about that like memorization and like mastery of like perfectly dodging you know, like an enemy and using as like little ammunition as possible, and never saving and like that, especially the saving because if you're playing on like the original games or like Madhouse for seven, like it's that added stress of like if I die, this whole run is over. And I think that's like a super cool, fun challenge. I've never actually done it, but I one day, one day, I would like to try that with a reson evil.
Speaker 1: Last question here Kevin from West Hartford, Lucy, do you want to or Jean Luke do you want to read this one? You haven't read one yet?
Speaker 2: Sure?
Speaker 3: Teachers picking on you?
Speaker 4: Yeah, Hey, after your dark crude. There is a great discussion in the discord this week. Go check out the amazing discord. Uh just ask me or Jake or Lucy. Amazing. There's a great discussion the Discord this week about pacing yourself and planning your time your game time. I know your job changes how you play games, but ideally, do you plan out or schedule your games? Are there any rules to try to follow when it comes to playtime or what you are playing? Shout outs to at gre Ninja trainer Dan for the great topic. Thanks.
Speaker 2: I wish God, I wish I would better about planning that stuff. I think I do what a lot of people do is like I'll sit in front of the TV and be like, Okay, what should I play? And then I'll like think about it for an hour, and then I'll start a game and I'll be like not feeling it. Maybe I'll switch to something else, and like that's the worst way to do it. I wish I was better about dedicating myself to a game. I used to be, but these days I'm just like the problem is you're constantly chasing this feeling of satisfaction and feeling like your time is meaningful, and the kind of cruel trick of it is you never give yourself enough time with one game to reach the stage like The way you get that is by committing and playing a bunch of a game and then coming out like four or five late hours later, or even like a couple of days later in smaller chunks, and being like, I'll play a good chunk of this game. And in the pursuit of that, most I end up just bouncing from think to thing, just hoping I can get some sort of satisfaction like it immediately out of it. And that's not how games work. So I don't do that. I don't pace myself, and I don't look I'm better about it these days, but only only slightly. I should be better about sticking with things.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think I'm best at it. When there's an embargo that we need to hit and I'm trying to finish the game by a certain time, and then I'm like, Okay, I've got this many days to finish the game, this many days to write whatever features are working on in this many days to edit for embargo. But like most games I play casually, I don't really think about that too much unless it's something that I want to finish by a certain time, like the Persona five Strikers. The reason that took so long was because I was very slow in playing through that game, and I should have done a much better job of like scheduling my time and figuring out when to play that game, but it just just didn't happen.
Speaker 3: I don't schedule mind. I have my big, essentially spreadsheet of everything that I'm playing, but it's more like I get anxious if there's a list of things in my head that it's like, oh, I know that someone's told me to read that book or watch that show, and so it's more of a list of things that I want to watch and play, things that I am watching and playing, and things that I've finished. And it's it's kind of nice because I also juggle between a lot, and so having a list of like, oh, I forgot that I was in the middle of this, I'll go back to it. That's pretty much what I use it for. But I don't schedule out, you know, like oh, it's nine o'clock, I've got my one and a half hours of game time to go. I don't do any of that because.
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 3: I try and stop playing games at like ten thirty to give myself time to unwind and like fall asleep by about half eleven, so that would probably be the only schedule that I would keep myself to unless it's a really bloody good bit then.
Speaker 1: Sleeps out the window. Yeah all right, Actually did everybody answer that question?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: So all right. Well that's been episode eighty eight of Game Spot after Dark. Thank you all so much for listening, and thank you guys for joining. It has been an absolute pleasure to host this show and hang out with you guys. Uh you guys here with me right now, and you guys listening means the world. And I'll stay in the GameSpot discord, so stay in touch. And you know, I think we're going to be playing some games later today, so I'm sure we'll still be having fun.
Speaker 3: But I'm gonna miss you.
Speaker 2: Friend of the Show.
Speaker 3: Yeah, no, he needs he you need a you need a more grand title Friend of the Show.
Speaker 1: I'll let you guys think on it. If I don't like it, I will let you know though.
Speaker 2: Host.
Speaker 1: Oh, it just doesn't have much of a ring too. Anyway, Before we go, Lucy anything you're plug and where can people find you?
Speaker 3: This week we did we're trying something out with Console crew. We put it out earlier in the week and it's more reactive. So we put it out on Tuesday when all of the E three stuff was happening in the ESA announcing and so Tam Jordan and I got together to quickly talk about that and like what it means that Xbox is there in PlayStation isn't. So that's, you know, part of the reason why we haven't covered it on the podcast today. But if you want to go hear us talk about it. Look at look at us talk about it. That's weird. But there is a is a video that's on YouTube at com slash game spot. Watch us talk about it, watch us talk about it, sound off, just watch. Other than that, I'm working on a bunch of mass effects stuff. You know me, I'm on Twitter, Lucy James.
Speaker 1: Gabs timor how about you.
Speaker 2: I'm on Twitter tomorrow. Hey, I'm basically doing the same thing that Lucy just said, as well as working on reviews after ejected reviews editor.
Speaker 1: Don't make this stick.
Speaker 2: After after Kelly left kind of been handling reviews, so film's reviews up for that. We've got a review for balin Wonderworld from freelancer David wild Goose, and we'll have some more coming in Other than that, it's pretty much, you know, doing things behind the scenes, getting stuff ready for later in the year, making moose cracked smoke chocolate eat.
Speaker 1: John Luke you can find I'm not going to acknowledge it.
Speaker 3: I don't understand what he just said.
Speaker 2: Some people will get their reference four.
Speaker 1: Good job, John Luke.
Speaker 4: You can find me at John sip on Twitter. You can check out that Outriters class tip that I mentioned as t mor said the review. The finalized version of the review should be up as well. Also, I did a video on the El Gatto light strips, the the other half of that El Gatto wave panel video I did, so now you got to see me talk about the light light strips.
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 4: I'm sure it's good. Video's not done yet, but I'm sure it's great. You should check it out otherwise, I mean, yeah, I'll like with Lucy and Tam I'm gonna be doing hopefully massifixt stuff in the coming weeks, all right.
Speaker 3: I said el Gato. I can only hear it in auto from the Simpson's voice, so it's like, my name is el Gato.
Speaker 1: You can find me at Jacob Deck and I am trying very hard to get this, this Disco Elysium video done before Friday. There's a hard deadline though, because I get locked out of the system Friday. Oh god, yeah, you do make sure I finished that in time. I wrote the script and super fast and immediately just started recording vo and then I think I might like send it to QA just to make sure it's like sound. And then I mean it makes sense, it fits, it fits the game. In the video, it's me rambling about how great this game is and how ridiculous it is and and just all the absurdity in that game. So I don't know. I'm hoping the disjointed rambles will work out. If they don't, you can get mad at me your own personal mind pretty much. But anyway, that's it. I I won't see you next week, but they will.
Speaker 4: Oh how did you do that?
Speaker 1: Oh? I'm sorry. I was about to say it, and I was like, I gotta I can't say that because it's not sure