Speaker 1: Welcome to Destiny.
Speaker 2: Now here's your host, Cliff Dunning. So what do you do when it's cold, it's snowing, or it's raining, or it's just freezing. If you're living in those sub zero parts of the world, You gotta walk. You gotta keep walking. What's great about walking? Walking is the ultimate exercises and today we're going to be talking about it. It's funny because we've had these experts on biohacking. What's biohacking, you know, getting your health back, taking back your weight, your metabolism, getting in shape, staying healthy, staying well, extending your life the best you can. That's biohacking. It's funny because walking is the ultimate bio hack because it doesn't take a lot. You can do it pretty much anywhere. And the beauty of it and I talk about this all the time, getting out in nature, connecting with nature. So this is a very important program and it kind of goes in line with our biohacking series, but it's not part of the series. It's outside of the series. It just happens to fall in place with this new book called Walking Well, a New Approach for Comfort, vitality and Inspiration in every step, great title, And I got to say that. You know, we're always people are always talking about going out and pumping iron, reducing your caloric intake, cutting back on alcohol, cutting back on eating and sweets and so forth. I mean, we're in the holidays, my friend, and I'm a I'd love sweets. What are you supposed to do when someone puts an apple pie in your face? What are you supposed to do when they walk up to you with a freshly made eggnog which has rum in it? What are you supposed to do when there's gravy on mashed potatoes and stuffing and turkey and butter on your vegetables? What are you supposed to do? Turn it away? No, this is your time to celebrate. It's the holidays. I'm tired of these fitness experts telling us that we can't have goodies for the holidays. Of all the times of the season, of all the months of the year, the holidays are a time to rejoice, to enjoy some good food, a piece of pie, a candy cane. What the hell you know? If we don't get it now, we're never gonna get it. We're never gonna get it. We gotta have have a time in our lives when we have some sweets, we have some good food, and this is the time. It's the holidays, and so you indulge. And then it's all about what is your New Year's resolution. Well, I'm gonna stop eating sweets. I'm gonna it's just insane. We hurt ourselves, we upset ourselves, we traumatize ourselves with these insane rituals. During the holidays, it's time to indulge. And I'm serious. I had a girlfriend over the other day who made me a eggnog and we put some rum in it. It was wonderful. Oh yeah, And she puts sprinkles, some nutmeg. It was. She whipped it up, it was blended. It was almost like a big whip whipping cream drink. But it was not quite to that consistency. But oh god, did it tastes great. This is the time for indulging, So enjoy, enjoy a little bit of goodie. So but getting back to walking, I've always been a big advocate of walking, and like I mentioned, you know, getting out of nature. But if you don't, if you're not close to a park or you're not close to the woods, walk out around the block, get some air, connect and shift. There is something about walking or getting out and moving, which is a moving meditation. And I think, and we'll talk about this. When you are moving, your brain can relax a little bit. You're breathing in air. It's a great exercise. But also the longer you can walk, the more ability that you have to shift, to alter, to shift into an altered state where you are downloading information, you are problem solving, you are moving through trauma, you're moving through angst and anger and being upset. You know, if I've had a tough day, I've gotten in I don't rarely have disputes where I'm yelling or screaming. That's very rare. I don't think I've ever I can't even think of a time where I'm getting to that anger level. I just don't let it happen. But I do get involved, like everyone else in situations where you get upset or you're angry, or you're frustrated, and a walk will relieve you of that. You don't want to carry that emotion around. It just doesn't serve you well, and if you hold on to it, it can cause problems illnesses. If you hold on anger and frustration and trauma. Long enough, you can turn into illness, and they've proven this. But walking can help you download data that you need. And right now where I'm at, I'm in northern California. We have a mile temperature, but it's like in the forties. You know, what's freezing, thirty thirty degrees. I just don't do well in the cool weather. And so I bundle up and try to go for a walk and it feels great. And I'm downloading material, trying to you know, solving problems. Things are coming up, and I'm writing about it. I try not to bring my phone, but I'll tell you what I do. Have a recording feature on my phone, and what I'll do is if something significant comes through, like a chapter title or the few first section of a book, or an article, or solving an issue, I will talk about it. I'll record it. I had this happen to me on our recent trip to Mexico. We were at Chichiinitsa and the group was hearing a lecture from our tour guy, Mimo Gonzalez, and I had been there many many times, so I already knew what he was going to talk about. So I stepped away, and I was walking the length of the Great ball court. It's the largest ball court I think in the world. Is huge, huge, It's not quite as long as a football field, but it's close. It's not five hundred yards, it's more like three hundred or three and a half three hundred and fifty or more. And so I was walking and all of a sudden I heard someone clapping and there's an acoustic anomaly in that ball court, and they're all over that place, not just in the ballcarp but they're everywhere in that archaeological park. And all of a sudden I kind of shifted and I was like, wait a minute, I need to talk about this. I need to write about this. This is extremely important. This is an engineering that was built into this place. So I quickly took out my phone, clicked on the recording app, and talked for a little bit about what I wanted to include in this chapter. And that's the beauty of a great example of walking, because I had been walking from the entrance and following the group, but you know, I was also kind of clicking into this special place, and so use that. Think about that when you are walking as a download and it's fabulous. It doesn't have to be creative. It can be problem solving, or it can be an Aha moment, or it can be one of a thousand things that you need to hear, or you need to experience, or you need to feel. So again, today's program is Walking Well, a New Approach for comfort, vitality and inspiration in every step, And my guest is Michael Gelb. I never want.
Speaker 1: I don't want to waste my time. I don't want to mist I want to get up this ride. I want to get.
Speaker 2: There's all forms of exercises that we discussed on a regular basis. Of course, there's yoga, tai chi, which are the more spiritual in some cases, transitional exercises that are motivational, but they're also good for extracting data and getting information and we leaving stress and strain. But what you believe there is a simple, very easy to do. And I'm laughing because it's so simple walking. Walking is a very fundamental exercise that we don't think a great deal about. And my guest today has written a book called Walking Well, a New Approach for comfort, vitality and inspiration in every step. My guest today is Michael Gelb. And I'm having Michael on the program because this book came across my desk and I thought, well, what's he What's he writing a book on walking? Everybody knows about it. There is so much to walking, and we'll learn about this today. Not only is it great for relieving stress and it's a great form of exercise, which we'll learn about. But one of the areas that I have discovered and when I do my walk, and I try to do a walk at least once or twice a week, is the fact that it can bring up creativity. It's actually great for inspiration and when I have a problem in work, in writing or whatever, if I set up kind of an idea ahead of time before my walk, I'll get answers, I'll get information and how does that work? And we're gonna learn know about that today. So Michael Gelb is a pioneer in the field of creative thinking. He's an executive coach and also an innovative leadership. He is a fifth degree black belt in Aikido and also a teacher in taichi. He's an exercise guy, obviously. So he's the one who wrote the book, which is actually it makes a great deal of sense, doesn't it. So Hey, Michael, welcome to Destiny. Great to have you on the program, Great to be with you. Thanks. All right, the first question is, oh, I want to mention also, you co wrote this book by with Bruce Fertman, and he's also an exercise guy who's study studies movement. But why did you guys get together and decide to write this book? You know, it's something that and we'll talk. Obviously there's a lot to this, a lot of dip to this book, which is fantastic. But here we are everyone's walking to get around and moving, and what was the inspiration? Did you have kind of an aha moment like, oh my god, this has to be written. Talk about that? Yeah, sure, sure.
Speaker 3: So I've known Bruce, Bruce Fertman for more than forty years and he's a movement genius, like really truly gifted. You know, he got a full scholarship to Penn State in gymnastics back when Penn State was the leading gymnastics program in the country. Wow, just a great gymnast. He was really good at helping other gymnasts choreographed their routines. He had a natural gift as a coach and a teacher as well as a movement artist himself, and he became a professional modern dancer, and then he trained as an Alexander Technique teacher, which is how I got to know him, because I also trained as an Alexander Technique teacher. And my very first book is called Body Learning and Introduction to the Alexander Technique came out forty three years ago and it's still in print. And Bruce was very gracious when the book came out in nineteen eighty one, he invited me to his Alexander Technique training school in Philadelphia, and he was featuring a workshop with one of the original teachers who had studied with Alexander, named Marge Barstow, who's another amazingly gifted master teacher. So we initially can around how do you make movement easier? That's what the Alexander Technique is all about. How do you bring more grace and poise and comfort and energy and inspiration to your life every day?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 3: So roll the clock ahead, and we both study aikdo tai chi, all sorts of different movement modalities. We both teach these things, and I guess it was just it's only well, guess January of two, twenty twenty three, that's where the big epiphany that you asked about happened, because I was going back to Santa Fe, New Mexico, where I used to live, one of my favorite places in the world. He was my first visit after the pandemic, and Bruce heard I was coming back to New Mexico. He moved there a while ago, and he said he wrote to me, said, I have an inspiration on something that I think is really really important. He said, I think I figured something out about walking that can make it more comfortable and easier for everybody, for everybody. And I got to tell you, I was skeptical because it's like, Okay, sure, you know. I've been teaching all this stuff for years, and I love walking. I've been taking my clients for walks for years. I've written about it in previous books. So I was skeptical but open minded. So Bruce and I all got together and I said, in your basically said, treat me like a beginner. Just give me the lesson. Show me what you got. So he gave me this lesson. It was about forty five minutes, and that's when I had this amazing epiphany because I'm telling you my walking got easier and that since then has been easier. And I just thought, wow, if we could translate what you've come up with. It wasn't anything new, but what was new was the sequence he put it in. He put it in such a simple, easy sequence that literally, you can read a book. You don't even need illustrations, you don't need a video, you don't need to go on a seminar. You can read our book. And if you do what we suggest that you do, by the end of the first chapter, every step will get easier, and then it will just get easier, and we're energizing with every chapter after that. So that was the epiphany, and then we just decided we're going to do this together. And it was a fabulous creative collaboration where we pushed each other with one goal in mind, what will serve the reader the most, and we both feel exhilarated that that goal has been achieved.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, it comes across well. One of the things I want you to explain, I hope you can explain is early in the book you describe I mean, because walkie is like breathing for most people, we get up and we walk around the house, we get out in the garden, we walk around the front yard. But one of the things that you bring up that's very interesting is the fact that people don't pay attention to their gate how they move. I want you to explain, if you can, why this is important and some of the steps that you introduce in the very first two chapters where you're paying attention to the movement, how you touch the ground, how you integrate with your environment. Why is that important?
Speaker 3: Great question, It's really important for so many reasons, but maybe the most compelling one is that for most people, the vast majority of people, their gait declines as they get older. They call it walking steadiness, and there's a direct correlation with a decline in your walking steadiness, which is the balance between the two sides of your body as you walk your two feet on the ground. As you become less balanced and less steady, your risk of death from all causes goes up dramatically. As you're walking steadiness declines. So, now here's why that's relevant. Whatever age you are, if you've ever had an injury, sprained your ankle, broken your leg, even it doesn't matter if it's your legs. It could be you broke your arm or your wrist. It could be an emotional trauma, which pretty much everybody's had. All of these things can throw off your gait. And let's say you broke your leg or sprained your ankle, and let's say you and I went to the doctor's and you got it treated, and now it's officially healed. Well, the immediate wound or injury might have healed, the bone might have healed, the ankle might have healed. But the distortion to your gate probably is something you're not aware of, and it will therefore be unconscious. And I know this not just from studying it academically. I know it from watching the people who walk by my window as I've been writing the book. And I have to tell you I really know it myself because I've been studying movement, practicing it how to improve it for my whole life. And I had a hip replacement and a knee replaced, wow, and the shoulder replacement. And what I what I guarantee you is if if if I didn't know what I know, I would look like this when I'm talking to say, well, you know, walking is good for you, and you'll feel back. So I don't look like that because each time I had these injuries and these traumas, with the go with the surgeries. I use everything that's in this book to recover and get stronger and more balanced than I was before the surgery.
Speaker 2: M hm.
Speaker 3: So I'm you know, I'm not saying this from some exalted thing of like I'm on some perfect state and I'm always moving. No, I have been through hell physically, and but I've come out of it. And and that's part of my passion for sharing all this because I'll tell you something. Here's here's a simple thing. Here's a just for free biohacking. You can call it if you want to call it a bio.
Speaker 2: That's a big term we've been using on the on our show, biohacking is. And that's why you're here, friend.
Speaker 3: Okay, so I'm gonna give just here's one you know, even if you don't read the book, even if you don't study everything that will change your life forever, forget that. Just do this one thing. Start doing this every day. Stand on one leg and then stand on the other one leg for one minute a day, every day. Because here's a really simple truth about walking when you walk in a normal gate, you balance on one leg forty percent of the time. But if you're not really able to balance well on one leg because of injury or trauma, unconscious distortion of your gait, your gate's gonna to keep declining. But if you specifically consciously focus on balancing on one leg every single day, you will strengthen your ability to balance on one leg and you will protect your gait as you get older. And if you want to try the advanced practice, you can try that with your eyes closed.
Speaker 2: Tell us about gate. Now, gate to me is the walking manner, yes, and rhythm and a rhythmatic pattern. So you're staying in this pattern, uh, And it's your whole body moving in rhythm with your legs, with your feet touching the ground right, yes, okay, So and people talk about the gate and the gate to me and I think you bring this up on the book, is this is your sacred rhythm. I'm using the word sacred rhythm, we said, And when you are out of this rhythm, and in the case of for you and I want you just talk about this real briefly. When you have a leg injury or you have a surgery, I have a lot of friends that not a lot. I have few people that are aging that are having a very common hip replacement. When you are having a hip replacement, you're thrown out of whack. Talk about your recovery, Michael, and any injury and why it's important probably to get back out in exercise walking again, to get back into that sacred rhythm.
Speaker 3: Beautifully stated, Well, it is a sacred rhythm, and it's it's a natural rhythm, and it's natural for you. So your natural gait, your sense of harmony with the earth, of the flow of your own body as you move along. It's something that makes the difference in every aspect of your life. How do you walk through life? It's a powerful metaphor. How do you walk into the room, how do you walk through your house? You know, some people go on a sacred pilgrimage. One of my clients went to Santiago de Compo. Stella recently called me up from the airport said can you give me some coaching on my walking before I do it? Twenty twenty every day this is officially sacred walk, but you're right. Our book, the idea is to make every walk a sacred walk. And what makes it sacred is really allowing your own natural flow, your natural rhythm to come forth. And if you're having a surgery, obviously do everything your doctor tells you. You know, they get you up walking right away after the hip surgery, same day. And the reason for that because they used to have you rest and they realize it made you much worse. No, you got to get out there and start walking. Do what the physical therapist teach you. They have a lot of wisdom and knowledge to help measure all this and get you fundamentally mechanically sound again.
Speaker 2: But what son I teach.
Speaker 3: You takes you to a whole other level that we could teach to the physical therapists and to the doctors that would improve their gait. And it's based on the combination of our study of the Alexander technique of Tai Chi I chigong. And really, I got to tell you another thing about Bruce. He moved to New Mexico more than forty years ago and he lives near this famous slope. It's where Jojo O'Keefe used to go to paint her amazing paintings. She used to walk along the slope. It's four and a half miles going up. Part of what got me interested in talking to Bruce in the first place about this and making an appointment to actually get together with him and show me what you got. He said to me. Look, I moved there. I was forty years old, he said. Now I'm seventy four, and I'm walking up this hill with less effort and faster than I did when I was forty. I think people might be interested in how I figured out how to do that. Yes, and we can talk about you know, what are the I'll give you the specifics if you want of what people can start thinking about now. Besides practicing standing on one leg, that's a more mechanical thing. But the key elements in finding your natural gait are the first three experiments that we guide the reader.
Speaker 2: To do in the first part of the Bubble. Let's talk about that, because I wanted you to tell us about how we discover our natural rhythm. And this is very, very early in the book, where you're having you know, you're touching the ground, you're moving, and you're feeling your body, which a lot of people don't even pay attention to, and why this is important for this sacred risk of them sacred walk, whatever you want to call it. So go ahead and give us a sense of how to do this.
Speaker 3: Sure, well, you just you just gave the clue, which is if you can feel it, you can heal it. But you have to be able to feel it. And as you said, most people aren't paying attention. They take walking for granted, they take driving for granted. You know, most people don't think they need to go on improve your driving course. But if you've been out on the road, you know they actually do.
Speaker 2: Yes, you know, one thing I want to just stop you for a minute, Michael. One thing that you bring up that I thought was very interesting and I want to do this, But you said, do not walk on heels when you're starting out and you're discovering your gait or our sacred pattern, walk on flat ground. Why is that important in the very beginning when we're introducing these fundamentals.
Speaker 3: Well, one thing I've learned pedagogically, and Bruce will back me up on this too, is we want to make it as easy as possible for people to learn and make progress. And say, ah, so set yourself up for success before you start climbing hills or stairs or going downhill, which is actually more challenging. Practice these principles on a flat surface so that you're minimizing the stress. Because once you can apply this on a flat surface, and it doesn't really take that long for most people to understand that there's something wonderful that's gonna emerge as they practice this. Of course, it's not just like you'll read the first chapter say Okay, I got it, and now I don't have to think about it again. I got to tell you to think about it every step I take. It has changed my level of mindfulness about my own walking in a wonderful way because I'm just getting more. I feel more with every step, get more feedback from the ground with every step, and I can make adjustments. That's the real thing, is making adjustments. Most people are you know, they're pounding the pavement if they know the walking is a great exercise, which it is. There's tons of research. They think I got to get my ten thousand steps, and they're out there striding forward to try to get those steps and looking at their watch or their device, how am I doing? And they're not feeling it. They're not connecting to it. And so what Bruce and I focus on is much more the quality of those steps. And when you improve the quality of each step, you'll want to walk more because it feels better. You won't have to worry about ten thousand steps. You'll say, I guess I have to get back from my walk because I have to actually call somebody or do something else, because you'll just want to walk more because it feels so good.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna take a shit or commercial break to allow our sponsors to identify themselves, and we will return shortly with my guest today Michael Gelb discussing his new release Walking Well. We'll be right back. My guest today is author Michael Gelb, who's written a new book on walking called Walking Well, a new approach for comfort, vitality, and inspiration. In every step, give us a brief hint as to becoming aware of how we touch the earth. Give us like one of the samples if you can sure.
Speaker 3: Well, they go in sequence, and it's really important to do them in sequence. So what I'll do is I will answer what you've asked, and I'm happy to say all three steps, sure, But don't I you know it comes with a caveat, which is, don't think you can just say Okay, I just go through those three steps and I got it.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So, because so the three steps.
Speaker 3: Are first, consider what would happen if you let your feet come down the way they want to without imposing any idea of how it should come back. And obviously what you need to do is go for a walk and explore that, and we guide you on how to do that, and then write in a journal or a notebook or talk about it with a friend, and notice how you feel. Most people feel, Wow, it's kind of a little awkward, it feels almost a little sloppy, but it's also kind of liberating.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 3: Okay, so once you go through that exercise and you reach that aha, that feeling of wow, what's it like to let my maybe my feet no better than my analytical brain about what natural walking is? What if I turn them loose and let them explore? How fascinating. Then the second step is might be the most powerful one of all. What Bruce and I noticed, not just in other people but in ourselves is it pretty much everybody braces their foot and their ankle before that foot hits the ground. They stiffen up, they brace for impact. So go for a walk, then bring your attention. You know we have them. Do it first, Just check your right leg, right ankle, and foot.
Speaker 2: Am I bracing even slightly?
Speaker 3: Most people will discover, oh my god, I am, and I'm doing it on my left leg as well. And then you ask, what would happen if I just gave up bracing to prepare for impact? What if I didn't have to brace my ankles at all? And again, you got to go actually experiment with this. Go for it, we say on the twelve minute walk, that seems to be the optimum to really get it. Come back, write it in your journal, talk about it with somebody else. And I gotta tell you it's very humbling because we're the authors. And if we don't monitor it, we'll go back to bracing our ankles too, because we're all dealing with a lot of stress and there's a lot of tendency to want to hold on instead of let go.
Speaker 2: So are you saying that we're dumping our stress and our trauma and our fatigue and problems into our gait And this is where we're having incorrect walking.
Speaker 3: Everything everything, every stress, every bit of stress, every negative thought, every worry, every trauma. Every time you watch the news, and you recoil from it. The recoil is happening in your actual body in real time, instantaneously. It's held as unconscious tension, and it definitely interferes with your gait, It interferes with your breathing, It interferes with your ability to feel the joy of life. It doesn't really protect you. That's the sad part.
Speaker 2: It does.
Speaker 3: It's a it's an unconscious fear response that is evolutionary. It's it served for when you were being attacked by a predator, or if you were afraid of falling out of a tree and you had to roll up into a ball so you didn't break everything. It's that that's exactly we'll do now. But here's the thing that they don't realize is they do it like they do it just slightly every time, every time you turn on the news, every time somebody says something that upsets you, every time you're frustrated waiting in line at the not getting the service, whatever it is, you know, whatever it is, not to mention injury, not to mention real challenges in your life. Each of these things is held instantaneously in your whole body as unnecessary tension, and that builds up over the course of your life.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: But the amazing thing is so you can go to all kinds of therapies, and I recommend them all because I think we all need all the help we can get. So you know, get go, get reky reiki, Go get ralphing, go get Alexander technique, Go get a massage, meditate, do yoga, do tai chi, do everything. But walking is something you're already doing every day. So what if you could turn that? What if you could turn every step you take into a healing opportunity? Right, And that's that's what walking Well is all about.
Speaker 2: Right. We want people to obviously to buy the books so they can learn in the very beginning how to measure and correct any problems you're having with walking. But obviously the goal is to get in in a rhythm so that when you're walking, you're walking not only to benefit the physical And this is the beauty of this book. You bring in the higher levels and you're beginning to connect. This is what makes your book very special is and I want you to talk about this. When we are walking correctly and in harmony, then it allows us to release tension and talk about that and then talk about moving into the higher realms where you're getting inspiration and creativity.
Speaker 3: Sure, well, before we go to the higher realms, let's go to the feet and the earth. So and I know, let's see the beautiful You're making these beautiful gestures while you were describing the.
Speaker 2: I want to get out for a walk. Me too.
Speaker 3: So so just to give everybody the third step that really does ground this and sets us up for getting the inspiration and getting more energy and vitality from every step. So what if I let my feet come down anyway they want? What if I realize there's absolutely no need to brace my ankles and my feet in preparation for the foot to come down on the earth. And that leads to the real, wonderful physical discovery that human beings, like bears, we are plantigrades. So your dog or your cat is a digital grade. They effectively walk on their toes. Their paws are their toes. That's the paws are the names for dog and cat toes. But bears plant to means soul of the foot, so we grate along with the whole soul of the foot. That's what a bear does. That's why they look so comfortable and relaxed and powerful, and that's what humans are design to do as well. Our whole foot is designed to peel along the ground with every step. And you can't peel along if you're bracing your ankle for impact. So you see why there's a sequence here. But once you start releasing your ankle, you eat start peeling along. And we guide people to actually say peel, peel with every step they take.
Speaker 2: And this is.
Speaker 3: A really big experiential epiphany that our readers are having, which is when I let my foot really peel along the ground. We've met many, many people write to us and just tell us in our seminars, I felt more connected with Mother Earth than I ever have. I felt the support of the whole earth underneath me.
Speaker 2: You know. Tick not Han writes.
Speaker 3: A walk as though you're kissing the earth with every step, and Bruce and I say, yes, but make it a big, long, juicy kiss. It's not a quick one. It's a nice kiss of the earth. And then you realize something else that is profoundly inspirational and really transformational. Even though it's a good metaphorical advice that we tell you to stand on your own two feet, you know it means support yourself and life and be empowered and be independent. Good advice, but not at all possible physiologically or anatomically. You cannot stand on your own two feet. Your feet are part of you. You stand on the earth. So feel the support of the earth with every step that you take. Let your the sole of your foot spread out and luxuriate. With every step that you take. Not only will you feel more supported, but you'll also realize that the power in walking comes from behind you and underneath you. So what you realize is the way you go forward is not by striding forward, which is what I see people who are walking for exercise doing out my window. All the time. They're straining and striding forward, they're pounding the pavement, they're striking the ground, and they're further traumatizing themselves and the earth, although the earth can take it, but they can't. With every step, but instead, you start to feel the peel. You feel that the power is coming from behind you. It's your back foot peeling off the ground that actually moves you forward. And then if you release your ankle, your foot just gently caresses the earth right underneath you. Because now you're getting the power from the other foot, which has become the backfoot. So it's your back foot that is the source of the power. You don't stride forward, you let the earth propel you forward, and that's where it becomes. The next epiphany is when you put all this together. When you put these first three lessons together, people feel like they're walking happens effortlessly, and that's that's the next that's the real breakthrough. Uh. You know the word walk to walk, it comes from Welsh and Middle English origins and it means to roll along. Really that's what Yes, that's what it feels like when you're walking, Well, you feel like it's just happening underneath you and it's effortless, and that freeze you up for the inspiration, the aha, the problem solving, the connection with nature, the feeling of spiritual oneness. But it's grounded in feeling supported and connected to the earth.
Speaker 2: I want to mention that this book has been broken into three sections. Comfort, which is what we're talking about right now, Vitality, which is what we're going to get into shortly, and then fascinating enough inspiration and what Michael and Bruce have done is give us the framework so that we can and, as Michael is describing, give us a sense of this ability which is innate in us to get the most out of it, so that we are connected fully body, mind and spirit in our walking daily. So let's move into vitality for a minute, and I want to talk about one area that you get into with a great deal of detail, which is brief breath. Talk about that, well, it's really important. I can't get a row without it. But when we walk, I think it's more even. I mean, it's almost unconscious. It is unconscious, but to be aware of it also is important too, isn't it.
Speaker 3: Yes, Well, one of my favorite AHAs in the breathing section is everybody familiar with apnea, which is an interference with your breathing. Sometimes some people suffer from sleep apnea, where they have problems with their breathing when they're sleeping, but most everybody suffers from some kind of apnea in their daily life, some interference with breathing, chronic sinus issues, mouth breathing, gasping for breath, shortness of breath. So I'm just pausing to really enjoy the beauty of an easy, full, happy breath, because it really is one of life's most exquisite effortless pleasures is just Bruce and I like to think of it as when you discover what we call, well, we don't call it. It's there's a name for it. It's oopnia. It's a really fun word, and it means natural, healthy breathing. So apnea is interferenced with your breathing. Oopnia is healthy, natural breathing. There's actually a word oopnia.
Speaker 2: I swear something like Willie Wonka's chocolate factory.
Speaker 3: I was so happy when I found that word.
Speaker 2: I gotta tell you it's a real word.
Speaker 3: Uh. And and so then how do you access it? Well, both Bruce and I feel like natural breathing feels like you're being breathed. There's no effort, you don't have to do. You actually don't have to do all kinds of breathing exercises. I mean, I've studied lots of different forms of breath work. Many of them are great, and I'm not saying don't do them. What I'm saying is you may not need them. Because one of the wonderful things that happens when you start walking naturally is it naturally starts to regulate your breathing. When you find that natural, sacred rhythm, you're inviting the natural sacred rhythm of your own inhalation and exhalation. There is one practical thing, and I love both Bruce and I love giving really practical advice. A lot of stuff is very subtle, and you have to study it and feel it and take your time and write in your journal. But there's a couple things I like to tell people you can just either do or stop doing. So we already said. One thing you can do is stay on one leg every day. Another thing you can do is keep your mouth closed and breathe through your nose. They might say, well, I have sinus problems and blah blah blah. Yeah, but what happens is if you just make it a practice whenever you remember to gently close your mouth and invite the air in through your nostrils. The more you invite that, the easier it gets. Now in the book, we give some practices you can do to acupuncture points that help open the flow and the sinuses. We have a great practice on how to flare your nostrils like a horse. But the most beautiful, simple, elegant practice is just walk with your lips together and let the air come in through your nose, invite it in and then let it out again. And in the beginning especially, don't walk so fast. People are getting exercised. They're walking so fast that they start panting and they're breathing through their mouth. Don't walk that fast if you can't keep your mouth closed. And there's you know, the science behind this is overwhelming.
Speaker 2: We interviewed.
Speaker 3: Richard Brown and Patricia Gearbarg, both very accomplished medical doctors authors. They're the founders of Breath Body Mind. And it was also really blessed to interview Patrick McCown, who wrote The Oxygen Advantage and you know these you know where the James Nester is best selling book on breathing, Well, those are his two main sources. And they both become friends of mine, so I know you I know Richard Brown and Patricia Gerberg personally, spend time with them, go to their home. Patrick McCown was so gracious, I'd zoomed with him a number of times. But if I sum up some it all up, you can go back, because you can go in the book. There are the references if you want to read the science behind why this is so much better for you. We've got it. But if you want to just the simplest thing you can stop doing is stop breathing through your mouth when you're walking, keep your lips closed. Then if you want to practice one actual breathing exercise when you're not walking, that will help regulate everything and give you the most benefit with the least effort. That's coherent breathing, which both Brown, gerk Bard and also Patrick McCown all advocate, which is very simply allowing the inhill for five point five seconds proximately and the exhale for five point five seconds.
Speaker 2: And that's it. Now you can do.
Speaker 3: There's all sorts of other patterns you can do, and there's box breathing, and there's whim Hoff breathing, and there's a lot of you know, pranayama. You're doing it through your all good. I've done it all I practice I actually I practice a lot of it, and it's all really good. But what's the simplest that will have the most immediate benefit in your life, in the vitality that you feel every day. The simplest thing is keep your mouth closed whenever you remember, breathe through your nose and then if you want to practice something, practice coherent breathing.
Speaker 2: We're going to take a short commercial break to allow our sponsors to identify themselves, and we will return shortly with my guest today, Michael Gilb discuss I seen his new book Walking Well.
Speaker 3: Gaze up on the Sky Christmas on mind somewhere from a plaza pie above, there's a.
Speaker 2: Song of travel. My guess today is Michael Gelb, who's written a book called Walking Well. We all walk, we all get outside and do our exercising, but this is a different way to look at motivation for walking and some of the inspiration you can get from taking a daily walk. As we come to the conclusion of our time together, I want to talk about the inspirational aspect because I think that you tap some of the Eastern philosophy here where through the movement of walking, we're also when we're in rhythm in our walk, we're also able to tap the higher levels of consciousness. And you give great examples of Leonardo da Vinci and many of the great thinkers, artists and scientists of human experience walking for their inspiration. I want you to talk a little bit about that and give us a sense of how that's achieved and at what point if you can during the walk, we achieve those stants of higher levels of consciousness.
Speaker 3: So if one tried to write a book about geniuses throughout history from all walks of life who didn't like to walk, it would be a very very small book, because you look through the history of genius, which I have done throughout my career, and they all say walking is the thing. Walking is the way. If you want to get a great idea, go for a walk. If you're frustrated, if you have a challenge or a problem, go for a walk. The ancient Latin phrase is solvetour ambulando, solve it while walking. Hippocrates said that walking is the best medicine. But of course, when we started this project and we're going to write a book about it, having previously written a number of books about Leonardo da Vinci, including How to Think Like Leonardo da Vinci, I went back to Leonardo's notebooks and I said, okay, what did Leonardo write about walking? Because people generally consider it to be maybe the great genius in human history, and so not only does he advocate walking, especially walking in nature, as the best means for getting inspiration, which he says in multiple places in the notebook, and he tells a student take a break, go for a walk when you're struggling with a technical issue when a painting. But the thing that really rocked my world in a most wonderful way was to discover that it was Leonardo da Vinci who invented the pedometer, right, it's not wild, And then Thomas Jefferson, who came up with a pretty good idea of life libert in the Pursuit of Happiness. Jefferson said that walking is by far the best form of exercise. And Jefferson invented a pedometer.
Speaker 2: Well, it was his, the one that clipped onto the belt and every bit a movement calculated a step or something. I forget.
Speaker 3: He was a very inventive guy at Jefferson, as was as was Leonardo. But it's also poets and authors and musicians, philosophers.
Speaker 2: It's hard to find.
Speaker 3: It's really hard to find a great genius who didn't say, yeah, I got my best idea as well walking. But here's the thing that's true, even if you haven't read our book. So but seriously, you go for a walk anyway if you because even if you don't walk as well as you will after you read our book, walking is still one of the best ways to get a breakthrough idea. I've been guiding my clients to walk for inspiration since the beginning of my career. However, something really powerful, really important. Everybody knows now that besides verbal intelligence and mathematical intelligence, there's also kinesthetic intelligence, in other words, body intelligence. You know, somebody like Lebron James has a very advanced kinesthetic intelligence, and this is something you can develop. You can develop like if you start peeling when you walk, you'll feel more. Your kinesthetic sense will be sharpened. We can take you through and in the book we have meditations to feel your body more so you strengthen your kinesthetic and your propriceptive sense too. They go together. Kinesthetic is your sense of weight, position and movement. Appropriateception is knowing where parts of your body are. So if I close my eyes and I try to touch my nose with my index fingers, I can do that. It's my kinesthetic sense that moves my fingers lets me know where to go, and it's my pro perceptive sense that lets me know that they're my fingers and where and that it's my nose, it's you know. The word pro perceptive is the same root as proprietary. It means that's how you know, it's yours. But here's here's the real aha, the sense that is responsible for your real gut feeling, for your knowing it in your heart of hearts, feeling it in your blood, in your bones. Which is what people always say when they get a breakthrough idea with their intuition. It's the interroceptive sense. It's the interroceptive sense. It's the inner literal sense from your gut, from your bones, from your heart, and from your blood. And when you walk well, when you find that natural, sacred rhythm, you are more in touch with your gut. You're more in touch with your heart, You're more in touch with your bones, You're more in touch with your with your blood. So it's not that you have to get some inspiration from somewhere way out there. No, you're quieting the noise, you're quieting the interference patterns. You're letting go of the unnecessary, unconscious tension, so your own true inner wisdom can shine forth. And that that's the real source of inspiration.
Speaker 2: Wow. The books called walking Well a new approach for comfort, vitality and inspiration in every step. And my guess has been Michael gilb talk about walking meditation. This is something that I that I've never understood quite well because when I meditate, and I meditate it on a regular basis, I have to be quiet and still my mind. But as somebody who's written about walking, do you have a an approach to walking meditation? Is that a mindset that you begin as you enter the certain state of walking.
Speaker 3: Yes, it's simply setting an intention and a theme for a particular walk. So the simplest one could just be feeling the earth with every step, just for example. Another one could be keeping my mouth closed and enjoying the feeling of breath as I walk. Another one which I love is listening to the sound of the birds as I walk. And there's a lot of research showing that just birds song transforms you from a stressed state into a state of happiness. It's one of the simplest, most beautiful. Or you can walk along and just listen to all the other sounds you hear, or the colors that you see, or say I'm going to look at you aides of green today, or my theme today will be trees. And by the way, you can also you can also just to be you know, I got to confess. Sometimes I just put on soul music and I go for a dancing walking meditation, but I still am sure that I'm umbracing my ankles and peeling along, and then I'm more in touch with the earth and I have more rhythm in my step, and it's just a wonderful way to be happy. So we put all these All of these are in the book and many more actually different themes. And the most profound one is the one that we begin the book with and we end the book with, and that is something we were initiated into from.
Speaker 2: An original American source. H N.
Speaker 3: Scott Mamma Day, the Pulitzer Prize winning author and poet who in one of his books shared the sacred chant of what we call the in English the Navajo people, but they're really the DNA people. And it's about walking in beauty. It's about making every walk a sacred walk. It's about feeling connected with the earth, about making your life more beautiful through walking. So the final meditation in the book, we guide you through this sacred chant.
Speaker 2: It's called the Night chant.
Speaker 3: And it's it's it's very powerful, and it's it's it's the climax of the book.
Speaker 2: And we so are you. Are you chanting in your head as you're walking, You're kind of rolling this sound and it becomes just part of your whole cycle of walking.
Speaker 3: Yes, it's like a mantra. Like a mantra. It's a it's a Native American mantra, but it's got a lot of mojo. And of course you could just take a line from it, or two lines from it, or you could take your favorite mantra and you could coordinate it as you walk. You know, oh, nahma, shivayah, whatever works for you. Because the other great thing about this too is you're your own best teacher. Truly. Our job is to provide you with these periments that we've been doing for our whole career and then put it into walking so that you can get more out of every step you take and every breath as well.
Speaker 2: What's a good routine? In the book you say you suggest walking every day, But what's a what's a routine? If you can't walk every day for whatever reason.
Speaker 3: That you feel is important, Well, that needs to be calibrated by each individual for themselves. Having said that, what I would recommend is if you possibly can take a walk before breakfast, before breakfast, before breakfast, get outside and get some sun. It helps to set your circading rhythms. It starts your day with the serotonin boost that you need to be alert and function well throughout the day. And it helps to regulate you for when you go to sleep at night, so you get a more natural melatonin production when the lights go out and there's darkness. And the other great time to walk is after dinner. This is a tradition in many cultures around the world, the post prandile stroll. So it turns out that a gentle walk after dinner really helps to regulate your digestion, and so that's optimal, but that might not work with your schedule, So figure out what works for you. The other thing about it is don't be limited to the thought that I'm going on an official walk. This is an official walk. Okay, I have my smart device and I'm counting my steps. Part of what you'll get out of the book is no walking into your kitchen.
Speaker 2: Walk.
Speaker 3: You know, there's all this advice in these books to tell you to walk more like park your car further away from the front entrance and walk. Don't worry about Shortney walk every week. So we advocate that as well. But when you walk well, you're gonna want to do that instead of thinking, oh my god, I don't want to have to walk that far, and any think oh I get to walk that far. Great, You'll want to do it so you don't have to worry about a regiment. That's the beauty of this. When you walk well, when you talk naturally, when you're in the process of finding your own sacred rhythm, you're just gonna want to walk. You're not gonna have to make it as an exercise. You're gonna have to say, let me do something else besides walking, because it feels so good.
Speaker 2: I don't want to stop. Wow. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: It becomes a part of your existence. As we close, you have a chapter, it's chapter nine called walking for Transformation. I have to ask you about that. I didn't get a chance to really look at that chapter. But what is the transformation? I mean I can kind of get a sense of it, but there there more to the obvious physical benefits.
Speaker 3: Well, it's thank you for saying that, because it starts with the physical benefits. And my master's degree is in psycho physical re education. Bruce and I come from a perspective where physical and mental and emotional and spiritual aren't separate. It's part of what the people, the wonderful, brilliant people from the Hoffman work call the quadrinity spirit, mind, emotion, body, and you can work with the whole system. We can work intellectually and get ideas. That's why we wrote a book with we hope is logical and make sense and is backed up by references and science. And the idea of the book is you read it, you say, oh, yeah, that makes sense. Let me try that, and then you do something with your body. You do that with your body, and you're going to feel something. It's called pleasure. It's called joy, it's called happiness, it's called gratitude. It's called connectedness.
Speaker 2: Oh.
Speaker 3: When I feel that connectedness and I'm in this natural rhythm with my body, I feel connected to everything. That's what people call spiritual. When the separation between my seeming separate self and the whole universe disappears, that's enlightenment, that's nirvana. So instead of seeking that directly, because I can tell you it doesn't work. I tried.
Speaker 2: Seak it in directly by.
Speaker 3: Just bringing presence to this moment to the next step, and you may just be surprised at how could it really be that simple?
Speaker 2: Could it be that easy? Fantastic walking? Well? Uh, for those of you who want to get a copy, it just came out, I should say it came out in mid September. It's available on Amazon and wherever you get your books. Did you do an Amazon Did you do an audible version where you narrated the book?
Speaker 3: Yes, there is an audible There is a an audible version. It is on audio because a lot of people want to listen to it while they're walking.
Speaker 2: That's what I was gonna say. It's a perfect tool for you know, getting your exercise as well.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 2: And I will mention to our listeners that you can also go to Michael's web page. It's Michael Gelb g E l b dot com Michael Gelb, and I would imagine you have more information on that website. And do you have any videos or zoom presentations that people can also see and get a sense of who want to go beyond the book?
Speaker 3: Yes, So there's Michael Gelb dot com which is a great place to start. And there's a link to everything on Michael gelb dot com. Okay, we also have another website which we specifically created to support people who are reading the book, where we have actually created it's all free, free videos illustrations that go with the book, and that is Walkingwell dot com.
Speaker 2: Oh excellent, okay, fantastic. Hey, well, real pleasure having you on the program, Michael. I enjoyed it. I think our listeners get a sense of the importance of walking because such an innate thing. We all walk, but do we walk well? Which is a perfect title. So hey, continued success and thanks for joining me. My pleasure. Thank you. It's funny. It's simple as walking is. There are ways to make it even more rewarding and impactful. And I was looking at the first part of this book and it's about part of a chapter, it's about half a chapter, three or four pages where he describes how to set your foot down in a manner where you get the full effect, you get the full healing benefit material to do a good walk, to walk correctly, to walk more impactfully. And I didn't think, I thought, well, what the hell is he talking about? Well, I'll tell you it's important. I actually, you know, did a little half balock walk with this technique. It makes a difference to pheil I walk on the tip of my feet. It's weird, how I and I've always kind of walked like that since I was a kid, and people used to tell me it's because your parents pulled you, always being pulled forward, come on, come on, And I wasn't able to walk, so I developed this odd gate, I guess you could call it. But I've had a chance to read this book portions of it at least, and there's a correct way to walk, so check it out. Walking well a new approach for comfort, vitality, and inspiration in every step. It's not a huge read, but it's a kind of well designed and I appreciated Michael coming on the program. Hey, I still have a spot left in our upcoming Easter Island Rephnui Tour March fifteenth through the twenty third. You know, if you're a couple, if you have a girlfriend, boyfriend, if you're in a relationship, or you just want to bring a friend along, come out and join us. We are pretty much full. We had one person that dropped out because there are schedule. They had a conflict, but we're packed. We're only taking nineteen people. It would be twenty one with a partner, and it's with Ed Barnhard. He has surveyed the island a few years ago, just before COVID, and he knows a lot of spots that are not widely known by the locals or by other tour groups. And that's because he's done a survey of the island and use some high tech to unveil some unique areas of that special place. So come out and join us. For more information, go to Earthacients dot com, Forward slash tours. Make it a Christmas present, Make it a gift to yourself to join a small group of people in an intrimate look at a fascinating place with those massive moi. Those moi are multi ton sculptures. We don't know really who carved them. There's a lot of other really odd aspects of that island that Ed will present to us. Come out and join us March fifteenth to the twenty third, twenty twenty five and make it a gift to yourself, or just join us for the excitement. Earthagents dot com Forward slash Tours all right, that's it for this program. And I think my guest today Michael Gail presenting his new book Walking Well as Always, a team of Gail Tour in Hollywood, Mark Foster in London, and everyone who makes this thing happen. You guys rock all right, take care of be well and we will talk to you next time.
Speaker 1: Oh. I don't want to waste my time. I don't want to waste my mind. I want to get off this right. I want to make it burn.
Speaker 3: Give me jeez, I a mom.
Speaker 1: I ready to go go alone, go any oder the mouth.
Speaker 3: You let me alone alone, ohlone.
Speaker 1: I don't hate you, don't.
Speaker 3: Aware your task gorpen my heart. I'm good, I said to hell, and you might be another we had d