Speaker 1: It's Night Side with Dan Ray. I'm WBS Costin's video. Thanks very much, Dan, and welcome back everyone. We're going to change topics here again. Hats off to the state auditor Diana. I'm doing a great job, and I would suggest if you get an opportunity to read the Globe, read the newspaper the Herald today and understand what she found. And we will talk about that maybe again later on this week. But I want to change topics, and I want to talk about a topic that has concerned me for a long time, and I would hope that it concerns most of you, and that is the presence of coyotes. There's also other animals. I live not far from Brookline, and I saw a huge raccoon walking across the driveway the other night, and I don't want to end up meeting the rocky raccoon at night. But we're delighted to be joined by Brookline resident Nicole Roberts, who was interviewed. I'm not sure whether it was Channel four channel five, to be honest with you, Nicole, Welcome to Nightside. How are you? Thank you for joining.
Speaker 2: Us, You're welcome.
Speaker 1: You might have been on both stations I don't know, but you had an up close and personal visit with a coyotea two in Brooklyn.
Speaker 2: I did right near the country club across the street in Buttonwood Village. Yeah, I was out with my French bulldog, so very small dog.
Speaker 1: What is your French bulldog's name? We want to be able to say that people across America heard the name of your I love French bulldogs. A French bulldog's name Lola, Right, Lola. I have a listener in San Diego named Lola. So if Lola san Diego was listening, we're not talking about you, Lola in San Diego. We're talking about Lola the French bulldog in Brookline. So you're out for a walk at night? What time in night? Dusk? Are our dark at night?
Speaker 2: It was nine o'clock and it was and I was at my dead end street and I was gonna it's like a circle, and I was about to go around the circle and go home. All of a sudden, a coyote came out from someone's backyard across the street and was five houses up for me, went onto my lawn. So I'm like, well, I can't go home now. And then I just waited, and then another coyote came out from someone's backyard, so maybe they were coming from the country club, so to come from larsy Anderson or the country club. So I yelled, I screamed. A couple neighbors thought it was kids' children playing outside, so they didn't come out. So I had to ring someone's doorbell, and I had to get one of the neighbors to walk me home because I'm only five feet and I was nervous that the coyote would be able to get Lola out of my ice arms.
Speaker 1: Well, I'll tell you I had a neighbor. I had a neighbor who will not be identified. Okay, but this is no I'm serious. This is twenty years ago in Newton, and she was gardening in the back in her yard, lovely yard of great gardener. And when I first met her, when we first moved into the neighborhood, she told me this story at which was that a few months earlier. It would have been in May, this time of year, a beautiful day. She had a small dog. I forget what type, but a small dog. Coyote came out of the woods in the middle of the day. Whether it was eleven thirty or one o'clock middle what I would call the middle of the day, grabbed the coyote, and my neighbor, who at that point, you know, was not an older person. Probably she was, I don't know, forty years years old, but not someone who wants to race with coyotes. She had the courage to go chase the coyote and pull her beloved dog out of the mouth of the coyote.
Speaker 2: Oh my god.
Speaker 1: Okay, now, just so, her dog was hurt and had to have surgery, and it was eight thousand dollars worth of surgery. Now you and I both know because we're both dog lovers. I've had dogs and my kids now have dogs. I love dogs, and I love dogs more than then. Well, you probably feel the same way about your dog. So eight dollars.
Speaker 2: I'm obsessed with any kind of dog.
Speaker 1: Eight thousand dollars is a lot of money, but we would spend that in a New York second. So she spent the money. A year later, she was out in her yard almost the exact same time of the year in May, and another coyote, or maybe the same coyote, came out, grabbed the dog, ran off with the dog to be seen again.
Speaker 2: Oh my god.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And so that's an alert to everybody. And by the way, she was a very smart, bright, athletic woman. I mean, this is not someone who couldn't she a year ago. She just was a little quicker or whatever, or maybe the coyote was smarter. What are you hearing from your friends in your Yeah, in your community. You're not the only one who's experienced.
Speaker 2: This, right, No, So last August I was this past August, I was walking with my neighbor and there was a coyote at the other dead end street in our neighborhood. So we ran to her house and she drove me home. But her at her house she had two in her yard at six pm one day. And then my neighbor that lives like two houses from me, ten thirty in the morning, there were two coyotes in her driveway.
Speaker 1: It doesn't matter, I mean, obviously at six pm at night, that's a scary time because that's supper.
Speaker 2: Time, you know, in the summertime, and then the morning.
Speaker 1: So do we have a mutual friend. I believe that a mutual friend told us about your dilemma. Do we don't mention her last name? Audrey.
Speaker 2: Yep, yes, okay, good neighbor.
Speaker 1: Yeah good, okay. Well, thank Audrey for getting us in touch with you. I just here's the problem we live. We choose to live in a suburb, and I don't want to hurt any animal. I don't want to hurt a coyote. But I think we've gotten to the point where I had someone on from mass Wildlife the other night. I guess the bear population has exploded in Massachusetts and they are going to, I guess, increase the time in which people who hunt bears can hunt because they need to call the called the herd of bears. They are like five thousand bears in Massachusetts and they're coming eastward. But it seems to me that coyotes are almost protected and encouraged, and there's going to be some small child who gets attacked by a coyote and may be worse than attacked by a coyote. If unless we we within the one twenty eighty area get together and say, look, this is crazy. We did not choose to live in Wyoming on Montana. We're living in within the one twenty eight area. Do you agree with me on that or not.
Speaker 2: I'm saying I completely agree. They're saying, like I told my neighbor today, he has a fence sann yard. I'm like, do not let your dog out even in the fence in yard at night. They can they jump over fences, yes, but it's fighting. So I if my neighbor can't go out with me at the time I go out, or anytime after nine, I don't go out with my dog. I I'm like, you know what, seven o'clock was, fine, I can't go out with her. I'm too nervous to go by myself.
Speaker 1: Now. No, well, you have every right to be and I wouldn't go out. I when when one of my grand dogs is staying with us and I go out at night, I keep them on a leash and I keep them right near me and I can scoop them. Yea if I have to.
Speaker 2: Okay, oh yeah, she's always on a leash. But I'm still too nervous at night.
Speaker 1: Yeah. No, I'm telling you. I mean they are part of our family. And I think that at some point this has to mature itself as a as a political issue, and we need the legislature to say, okay, we need to allow trapping of coyotes and relocating coyotes away from from eastern Massachusetts. It just is inconsistent with the lifestyle that people want to live. You want to have it. You want to have a pet, you want to have a dog, you want to have a cat. You don't want them sack.
Speaker 2: You want to feel free to go out and take a your neighborhoods.
Speaker 1: Well, yes, oh, I've been in situations. I've been in situations where I've been stared down by coyotes.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: And I must tell you that I've been in situations where I have seen coyotes. And I can vividly remember being one night late on stow ro driver and the coyote was in the middle of the road, and part of me said, you know, just you know, get geit that I didn't have the heart to hit the coyote, okay, because it's still a living, a living thing, but I want him out of here. I want him out of here. As a matter of fact, many years ago, another neighbor mind went to actually was trying to trap a coyote. Now I think that technically that's illegal, okay, And she told me about it, and the next morning she woke up and she found in the in her trap. She didn't find a coyote. She found something worse than a coyote, a faster cat. Do you know what a fisher can is? Yeah, those.
Speaker 2: Big big cats right.
Speaker 1: Well, the nuts because she said this fisher cat was and she actually had a trapper come in and put a trap in her backyard, you know, and so you know, a cage trap. She said she was afraid to go near the trap because this fisher cat they're vicious. They are vicious. They're more vicious than a coyote. Was running up and down, you know, across the front, top of the crate, the inside of the crate, down, running on the side. It's insane what we have allowed to come into eastern Massachusetts. And the politicians sleep on this. So thanks for sharing your story and absolutely you really mean that, and say say hello to our good friend Audrey.
Speaker 4: Because I will, I will.
Speaker 1: You know this has got it's just about everyone in your neighborhood. Are they aware of this? Hopefully? And are they aware?
Speaker 2: Everyone is aware? Like and my friend that had the two in her driveway at ten thirty in the morning, Yes, another night, she was walking around the block and she was heading home to our dead and you couldn't walk down here because the coyote was sit there, so she had to go around the block again and wait and just like wait.
Speaker 1: I've talked with some of the coyote advocates. You know, they had a huge problem up in the Hunt a few years ago. We did some stories on that where the coyotes were just braizen. They were brazen and they were confronting people. And when you talk to the advocates of the coyotes and say we'll just make some noise, wave your arm and they're going away, I don't think so, right.
Speaker 2: I mean, yes, my mom made me a can of change. I'm like, what is that going to do for someone that's five feet right to work?
Speaker 1: Yeah, and they just need to get out, get them out past one, you know, four ninety five and let them out there. I think people who live out there are are more used to them, and to have them here in eastern Massachusetts. I think it's gonna We're going to have a tragedy, and I hate to predict it, but I think it's inevitable. Nicole, thanks much for joining us tonight, Thanks for listening to the other side, and please, if if your friends want to hear the interview, they can go to our web page. Tomorrow you can just go to Nightside and demand in the ten o'clock hour, we'll be posted and you're right at the top of the hour. So thank you so much. Please stay said and give your beautiful French bulldog a big hug for thanks to call. All right, we'll take a quick break, thanks to Cale. I only have one line left open here, so at six pet seven. My proposal is that coyotes should be relocated, relocated outside of one twenty eight, arguably outside of four ninety five. It's as simple as that. I think that people out on that part of the state are more used to them, they're more comfortable with them, and I think it's a huge problem that has to be addressed. Well that's what we're going to be talking about for a while, that's for sure. So we got Mark and John and Patty and the other line has just filled as well. We'll talk about it for a while. If you disagree with me on this and you think that we need to live and cohabit with our coyote neighbors, bring it on. We can have a conversation and if you support the idea, let's get let's get the legislature, or let's get these cities and towns moving to select people and all of that, and let's move them out back on nightside. Right after this, it's nightside, let's go to the phones. Started off with John and New York. John got any coyotes in New York?
Speaker 3: Yes, good evening, Dan, John. I live in Scohari, which is a rural area.
Speaker 1: Yep.
Speaker 3: My elevation and my property is about thirteen hundred feet but down in the valley there are numerous coyotes there. And get it, they ever come up?
Speaker 1: Do they ever come up and visit?
Speaker 5: No?
Speaker 3: This is what I won the I lived there thirty years now. There've been times at night that they start carrying on and they're fighting, and they're barking and screaming, right, and you're talking about they're probably only two or three thousand feet away in the woods for me, right, Yeah, And I've never seen a one at all. But my concern is maybe somebody one of your calls could give me advice on if I get confronted with one, what do I do?
Speaker 1: Well, maybe we will have callers who'll give you advice, I'm told, but I don't necessarily believe it. Supposedly you're supposed to make a lot of noise if you have, you know, anything with you that can make noise, theoretically a shovel or anything banging, And supposedly they're more scared of us than we are of them. Wave your arms and yell. But I gotta tell you, I'm not certain that's good advice. But that is what the coyote advocates will tell you to do.
Speaker 3: Yeah, But sometimes when it's you know, late at night, and you're outside and you're doing something, maybe taking the trash out to the curb or something, and these things start carrying on, it is scary, Like the way they're screaming.
Speaker 1: Oh, let me tell you. You can tell. I live in an area where there's some woods nearby, and during the summertime, when all the windows are open and the coyotes have a kill, they get a rabbit or something like that, they howl. It's a pack howl, and it's frightening.
Speaker 3: I got going on, all right, yeah, I catch oh, yeah, all right, they killed somebody and they're all going to dinner.
Speaker 1: Exactly exactly, and it's and it sounds ugly. And sometimes I have. Well, I lived in another area where we would find in the morning. I lived about twenty miles west of the city and a little in a town called Sherburne, which is your It was almost a rural community that a lot of horses and big fields and stuff like that. Uh uh, And we would we would find a rabbit pelt on the front lawn and you knew that there was around. They had they had a rabbit for dinner last night, if you get my drift. So yeah, I would just be careful. You gotta be careful and keeps inside.
Speaker 3: Keep Yeah, but maybe some caller who's listening to us now might know something more about it than I do that could mention something about what you really should do. Because I don't have a gun. I'm not a hunter, you know, so I'm not I'm not, you know, equipped to handle it, you know. On my side. Listen, I know you have all the callers that are hanging on the line. So I'm going to wish you a good night and thank you for the call, and I'll speak to you again soon. I finally took your advice about calling earlier.
Speaker 1: Well, thank you. And by the way, John One did just that. I have is at least in Massachusetts, you can buy pepper spray and if you.
Speaker 3: Have peas, that's not a bad radio commercials, it's not.
Speaker 1: A bad option. You just get to make sure you're not out there with a windy night because you fire the pepper spray and if you're down win from it's gonna blow back in your face and it's no fun.
Speaker 3: Okay, right, Yeah, Well, the way the wind brows from the west and the northwest, why I mean a lot of it blows because I'm uppill. But yeah, you have to be careful of that.
Speaker 1: You got it. Good advice.
Speaker 3: I'll look in today. Thank you very much, and have a good night.
Speaker 1: My pleasure. Thanks John, we'll talk soon. Have a good one. I'm working Memorial Day, but I have a good Memorial Day weekend. Thanks March. You're gonna be on the air, yes, Monday Night Live. Absolutely absolutely.
Speaker 3: Do you march in the local parade day or you're too busy for that?
Speaker 1: Yeah? No, I don't. I don't. I did some military time, but I'm not I'm not a marcher. I did enough marching when they when.
Speaker 3: I was when I was young, I belonged to the Sons of the American Legion. I don't know if you know what that's about. Familiar organization.
Speaker 1: Dad.
Speaker 3: You know, my dad was the commander and he used to leave the parade, you know, so I used to do that.
Speaker 1: Good for you, I got for you more.
Speaker 3: We used to do it a few weeks before. We would go to all the cemeteries where people were buried from the wars, and we put flags on their greed.
Speaker 1: Yes, that happens around here a lot. We're very patriotic here in Massachusetts.
Speaker 3: That was. That was a lot of work. I'll never forget.
Speaker 1: That certainly was. Thanks John, thank you, Yes it.
Speaker 3: Was okay, have a good night, Dan.
Speaker 1: My friend, keep and keep calling. Thanks, good night. Take a very quick break here on night Side. It's just ten thirty ones who are actually on time. Let's get to the newscast. The one line that's open, and people have been complaining lately that they can't get through as a line open right now, six one, seven, two, five, four, ten thirty. Back on night Side.
Speaker 3: It's night Side with Dan Ray on w Boston's news radio.
Speaker 1: Okay, so we're talking about coyotes in Brookline, and if they're in Brookline, they're probably everywhere. Here in eastern Massachusetts. Mark is in Austin. Mark, you're next on nightside. Welcome back right.
Speaker 4: Ahead, Yes, Dan, good evening, Thanks for taking my call.
Speaker 1: You're welcome.
Speaker 4: I haven't seen any coyotes, bye, I've seen wild turkeys and peacocks and other.
Speaker 1: Turkeys could be by the way, don't And.
Speaker 4: I do support your proposal.
Speaker 1: Thank you. Don't mess with wild turkeys because they could be nasty critters.
Speaker 4: They well, they're herbivores. That's the most important thing, you know, they're.
Speaker 1: Herbivores confront the.
Speaker 3: Rabbits.
Speaker 4: And you know the point is that coyotes are dangerous predator predators and need to be officially treated as such.
Speaker 1: No, I agree with you, and thank you for agreeing with me. All I was saying to you on turkeys is they they kind of look a little goofy and you figure they're not a problem. But if a turkey turns on you, they can do a little bit of damage. And just as a word to the wise, is sufficient.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean, I guess you know, in Allston, which is he populated, I find it reassuring. The only thing I don't refined reassuring is the rodents.
Speaker 1: Well, that's another that's get rid of them too.
Speaker 4: For another call.
Speaker 1: Uh you got it, hey, Mark, as always, thanks much, we'll talk soon. Appreciate your call. Be well, be well, good night. Yep. Let me go next to Patty and Wellesley is back.
Speaker 2: Patty, how are you hid?
Speaker 1: How are you Patty? Nice to hear your voice?
Speaker 5: Oh my god, don I just saw a fox go right in front of my car in Wellesley. I should swear up my street. I almost my heart is out of my head.
Speaker 1: A fuck a fox?
Speaker 5: Okay, a fox, A big long, low tail bushy. I swear it is that.
Speaker 1: I was whoa, Yeah, we got We have more animals in our neighborhood. I think that most of us realized.
Speaker 5: And there's a turkey in Lower Falls in Newton and Wellesley. I forget his name, but he's on What's Up Wellesley and we haven't seen him in weeks, and everyone's like, where is it? I think they call him George, and so he's missing. But should I tell you a story about my first day in the park in Centennial with my sheltie. There's a dog in the park that looks like a coyote. Okay, now it's my first day with a puppy in the park and I see this like I'm on a hill and I see a coyote, I thought, with those pointy ears, and I'm like, I am dead, And I ran with that dog of mine because I thought the dog, that coyote was going to like bite us. And I was screaming and it was a dog, but I thought it looked exactly like a coyote. And when I screamed crazy, it did not even budge. And I was running and looking back and screaming. But if it was a coyote, hopefully would have run the other way. But later, after a month, I saw the dog and I said, oh my god, this with a girl and it was her tet. I said, did you know your dog looks like a coyote? She goes, of course, Dan, I swear my heart. I thought I was gonna have a heart attack.
Speaker 1: We were we saying what breed was the dog that it looked like? Was it across with a coyote?
Speaker 5: I don't know, but you don't want a dog that looks like this. And if my friend is listening, I'm so sorry. I forget what the dog's name was, but it looked exact Spotty like how they are. They're sometimes spotty with those pointy ears, yeah, and long and high and just they're not nice. And I don't know what would you do if you saw a coyote in your face?
Speaker 1: Well, I mean, first of all, I would hope that I would never be in that situation, that I would always be you know, you know wili enough. I don't want to talk wiley coyote here, but I want to be more wily than the coyote. And I want to make sure when I go out, particularly if I have one of my grand dogs with me, either Willly the Wonder Dog or our Colgi, my daughter's coogy whose name is Mustard, I want to make sure that they're always on a leash and they're within arms reach. But if all of a sudden I saw a coyote, I think the last thing I want to do is show fear. I want to stare it down, and I want to if I have something that I can throw at it, I will if I have if I have a branch or something, I will. I want to go on the offense include making noise, because that's what the coyote advocates or experts tell us. Because I just think that you got to go on the offense. And like you were always told as a kid that if you were confronted by a dog, the worst thing you could do is be fearful and run because they sense fear, and I suspect coyotes would sense fear.
Speaker 2: Well, I blid, scream, blady murder.
Speaker 5: I was oking run and I don't know.
Speaker 1: So that's okay. You know, it's a good thing to carry pepper spray when you're in a situation like that. And I'm serious, you.
Speaker 5: Know, hopefully we're not no, no, no, but pepper spray.
Speaker 1: Pepper spray is legal in Massachusetts. Okay. Uh, it's not like you're carrying some weapon that is illegal, but it's it's it's legal, and it's good to have it, you know, particularly if you're out there some night and there's anyone who bothers you. You know, you got to make.
Speaker 5: Sure that you that I'm going to put that in my dog tree bag. Maybe that's a good idea.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you got to make sure. You got to make sure that you know which way the wind is blowing, you know, show you.
Speaker 5: Catch you know, I would probably spray in my face down.
Speaker 6: That's the problem.
Speaker 1: I no, no, no, I know, uh, Patty. I love the way you say Don. I'll tell you you have a I love the pronunciation, not Dan as I call it, but Don. That's it's lovely. I love you. I love you.
Speaker 5: Guess what I made in Canada?
Speaker 1: I got it?
Speaker 5: Why I say dan instead of DM?
Speaker 1: I like it. I like it. I have a lot of friends in Canada and a lot of listeners in Canada. How do you say the word organization?
Speaker 5: Organization?
Speaker 1: Organization? That proves to me you're Canadian? Absolutely? How do you organization? Okay, Canadians say organization the emphasis is sation, organization.
Speaker 6: Yeah, oh my god.
Speaker 5: I love that. I hope you have a great memorial. Thank you for taking my call. You're the best part of my whole day, and I would love you. I guess what if you want to exchange the Shelta for the Corgi for an overnight, I would do it.
Speaker 1: I'd have I'd have to wrest mustard from my daughter, but maybe we can work out a temporary deal. I'll bet you this shell Shelty. I love Shelty's too. I had some neighbors who had Shelty's. They're wonderful dogs. All dogs are wonderful. All dogs, all cats, all pets go to heaven. You know that, right, of course?
Speaker 5: Yes, but don what about a Shelty Corgie mix?
Speaker 1: Okay, now we're talking.
Speaker 5: Okay, we have to. One day we'll meet up and have a nice coffee. Okay.
Speaker 1: I would love it, Patty, I really would. Thank you so much. I really enjoy your cross. Thank you a great listener. Call. Love you too, love you too, I love all. Right. On that note, we'll take a quick break here. And I got u who, I got Rachel coming up, I got Alex, I got Lauren down to the cape, and I got Laurel Junior and lynn uh. And I got one line open. Six one seven is the only line open. Now. If dowt the other line, you're going to get a busy signal. And we'll take this into the tent into the eleven o'clock hour, I hope, And if not, we'll find something else to wile the night away. As we move slowly, ever so slowly, toward the Memorial Day weekend, a beautiful weekend and annoying with at the beginning of summer. Hopefully we get at least one or two good days this weekend. Buckle up tomorrow, drive carefully. I got to be out and about and I am not looking forward with the weather forecast as it is. Back on Nightside right after this, You're on night Side with Dan Ray on Boston's news radio. Okay, back to the calls we go. We're going to go next to Rachel and Quincy. Rachel got any coyotes in Quincy? Rachel?
Speaker 5: Oh? Yes, Dan, But kind of what I want to say is, so I have horses, one of my best friends where I bored my horse, two horses, my rescue horses in Norwell. Part of the thing what happens is you're going to remember is these animals habitat has been taken away from them, from buildings, from taking down the trees, taking down everything. Coyotes are skittish animals. There is a hunting season for coyotes, which is sad, but to I don't know control, wherever they're coming from whatever. But like now, so if people are seeing coyotes now, it's because the babies have already been born and they're being protective. They need to eat, they need to eat. And I'm just gonna tell you a story I have, Like Dan, I know you know me, but I have rescue horses.
Speaker 1: No, no, we got the rescue horses. Let me. Let me talk to you about coyotes. Your point, they got to eat. We have to we have to stop leaving food out and all of that, and and that deals with bears and stuff. My question. I don't want to kill them, Rachel. I just want to relocate them. I want to put them in a part of the state where they'll be comfortable, uh, and they will be able to commune with nature uh, and not commune with people who are trying to walk their their small dogs down a street in Brookline or Newton, New Quinsy at seven o'clock at night and they have to face a coyote. That's all I'm trying to say.
Speaker 5: Okay, No, and I understand what you're saying. And so they're dogs. They are dogs.
Speaker 1: No, I get it.
Speaker 2: No, I get it.
Speaker 1: I do understand that, I really do. But I'm just saying that they don't want they should not be trying to coexist with humans and domesticated dogs. They're not domesticated. That's all I'm trying to say. I'm not trying to fight with you here. I have I and I don't want to hurt.
Speaker 5: No, I am not fighting with you that they're wild animals, but when they are taking their land away from them, they need to come out. It's the same thing like when somebody said turkeys and whatever. And one thing I would love to say is it's not just the coyotes come to get the little dogs. You have owls, you have hawks. Yeah you don't have.
Speaker 1: You're absolutely right, but I can't. I don't think I can catch hawks. I don't think I can catch you know, owls, but we could. We can trap coyotes and relocate them. And I'm just saying that. I think we got to start thinking about that. That's all I mean. Look, whatever the cause is the fact that that that there are too many houses, there are too many cars, there are too many Americans, whatever you want, know, I'll accept it's our fault. But we either live amongst them or allow them to live amongst us and deal with the consequences or real.
Speaker 5: And that's what I'm saying when you say you're gonna catch them and relocate them there And you have to remember the sad part about a coyote is there's a lot of hybrids, right, so you get people that throw their dogs away. This hybrid dogs coyotes.
Speaker 1: So what So, Rachel, Okay, you've told me what you don't want, that you don't agree with me, which is fine, no problem, You're you're still my friend. What if anything would you do? Or is your position? We just got to live with them.
Speaker 5: My thing is, and I totally agree with you, but to relocate them. This So what I'm saying is.
Speaker 1: Rachel, do me a favor. You're you're drifting on me here and and normally you're better at this, you know, and the ones.
Speaker 2: You said to me, you said.
Speaker 1: Rachel, Rachel, We've done five minutes here and I got full lines. All I just want to know from you is tell me what you want. If you want to do nothing, that's okay, you're still my friend. Just tell me what I think we should allow to trap and relocate. You disagree with me, which is fine. What should we do?
Speaker 5: Joe, No, no, no one agree with you?
Speaker 2: Okay, great, But you can't trap.
Speaker 5: A dog. You can't trap a dog, which is the coyote is okay?
Speaker 1: So you've come full circle of me. Rachel. You're telling me you agree with me, but you're also telling me you don't agree with me, which is fine, but you don't want to quite say it. I got to run because I got other people. I got to talk to you, and I have just done six minutes on the radio. Rachel. Okay, thank you for calling. I appreciate it. But I got folks who have been waiting half an hour, like Lauren in Highenn's Lauren. I want to get you in here before the news break.
Speaker 2: Go right ahead, Hi Dan again, good?
Speaker 5: How are you?
Speaker 6: I agree with about eighty percent of what you're saying. Here's my here's my idea. Well, first of all, I just wanted to let the viewers know another thing that you can do. Coyotes are terrified of artificial light. So yeah, so what you need to do is get yourself a strong go to home depot and by one of the strongest that they that they have. And if you ever see a pack of coyotes and you shine the artificial light at them, they take off running like back out of hell.
Speaker 1: Oh that's good to know. That's good to know. I do have a pretty powerful flashlight which is.
Speaker 6: Actually terrified of it. Secondly, as far as the relocating, I would agree with you with the cubs because those will be much easier to trap and relocate. I used to do wildlife transportation for wildlife rehabbers, for cups and corruptions. I've had baby coyotes in my car. They're absolutely adorable. They they do mix with dogs. Like the last caller said, here's the thing, how about we instead of relocating the adults, and here's another idea, why don't we start dumping more, you know, food for them in the woods, like the turkeys for instance. Why can't we get some turkeys and throw them, throw them?
Speaker 1: I love that.
Speaker 2: We ship.
Speaker 6: Why can't we The only reason why you guys are seeing them is because they're hungry.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, no, I've agree with you. I don't know, maybe maybe we should.
Speaker 6: Why do we give them some stock, some cheap stock, and just you know, flood the woods with some food for them. Now, as far now, as far as coyote attacks, there's only been one reported attack of a child being killed, and that was in nineteen eighty one. So so everybody can stop talking about that. Number two. There's only been two humans that have been killed by coyotes as far as we know in history, okay, in this country, killed, not attacks. Yeah, so that's another thing. Also, you have to understand that. And I know that you heard this a million times tonight.
Speaker 5: They were here first.
Speaker 1: Uh yeah, I'm not sure if they were here first of the Native Americans whatever, But yeah, I'm religion. I am now ready to give up all the property that I own to the coyotes.
Speaker 6: How about we buy some rabbits and shut them out there, or some chickens. There's some, you know, And I don't even see that we need more turkeys for them. They love turkeys. They eat turkeys, they eat you know, maybe they're just running out of animals.
Speaker 1: All right, well guess what you know. Look, I'm out of time here, but would just I think your idea is interesting, Lauren, I really do.
Speaker 6: Also, if you have a chicken coop in the backyard, or you have anything in the backyard like a live animal coop, you're gonna you're gonna get coyotes.
Speaker 1: There's no doubt about that. But so.
Speaker 6: I don't know, let me tell you something. I want you to google it when you have when you have a moment, if you can remember, just google a baby coyote cob and tell me they're not precious.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Well, all these things look you have you? Have you have you seen like little baby have you seen? Have you seen little baby bears? Have you seen baby baby bear cubs? Have you seen baby orang it tanks?
Speaker 6: They're wonderful, theirs in Massachusetts. Most of them are just passed. They passed through.
Speaker 1: They don't no, no, no, they're going after the bears too. Hey, Lauren, I hate to do this to you. I'm flat out, but I got you in before the break. Thank you, Michank I hope so thanks. Good night. We're back on night side right after the eleven o'clock news