Speaker 1: Dodger Talk is sponsored by LA Care Health Plan, providing affordable healthcare insurance to millions of Angelinos for over twenty five years. I survive Kansas City. We're back in LA. Happy to be back home, Happy to be with you on this off day, Dodger Talk until eight o'clock tonight. Phone lines are open at eight six six nine eight seven two five seventy. We are going to take a look at the scoreboard tonight keep you updated on what is happening with the Giants and the Padres. I can already tell you the Dodgers have gained a half a game on the Padres tonight because the Phillies shut out the Padres fod to nothing, and the Giants are in Phoenix tonight taking on the Diamondbacks. It is scoreless in the bottom of the second inning. So we'll keep you updated on that. And the reason why I bring that up is because the panic that was in the streets just over three weeks ago, all of a sudden and looking like an overreaction. Because as we stand right now, it's seven oh one on Monday night, January or June thirtieth, the Dodgers are seven and a half games ahead of the Padres and seven and a half games ahead of the Giants. In case you don't know this, the Dodgers start a three game series against the White Sox tomorrow night. So for all intentsive purposes, by the end of this homestand the Dodgers could be ten games ahead of the rest of the division. And when you look at the Giants making that trade when they were at Dodgers Stadium minutes before first pitch, the Giants are four and eight since acquiring Rafael Devers and the Red Sox are also four and eight since trading Rafael Devers, so the trade for Devers hasn't paid off. And the Dodgers are coming off a very successful road trip, winning five out of six, including sweeping the Rockies and taking two out of three in Kansas City. The highlights for me was Otani pitching two scoreless innings and the offense not being there still for him consistently when he pitches. Freddie Freeman breaking out of a slump on Saturday, getting on base all five times and hitting his first home run since May eleventh. He was three for three, so Freddie was happy about that. That was good news, and Max Munsey continues to stay hot. He had an incredible road trip where he hit another Grand Slam. He drove in ten runs on the six game road trip, and he had an RBI double yesterday. Max Munsey is the hottest Dodger hitter in the lineup right now, and that includes Andy Pahez, who is extremely hot. Will Smith is still very consistent. And you look at the All Star voting. We're on to the final phase of voting for this year's All Star Game, and all of a sudden, Max Munsey making a big push since May twelfth. I think that's why Max Mounsey is going up against Many Machado. That's right, it's Max Munsey versus Many Machado right now to be the starting third baseman for the National League at this year's All Star Game. You can vote for Monsey at Dodgers dot com slash vote. And in Monsey's last forty games since he got the glasses, he's hitting three twenty with an ops of one thousand. He has twelve home runs and forty six RBIs. I'll say that again. Monsey's last forty games, he is hitting three twenty with an ops of one thousand, twelve home runs, and forty six RBIs, and that's the reason why he is in the conversation to be as starting third baseman in the All Star Game. Now do I see it happening? I don't know many. Michado's having one of his best seasons of his career, and he's been great from day one. Here's something for you. There's one guy at third base that has more errors than Max Munsey this year. It's Manny Machado. So if you're gonna talk about defense and errors, I haven't seen the airs that Machado has made, but nonetheless he has more errors than Max Munsey, and Max Munsey has been vital to the Dodger offense scoring run still because the big three of Otani, Mooki Bets, and Freddie Freeman have not hit at the same time this year. Freddy was on another planet up until the last fifteen games. Mookie Betts has been just average all season long two fifty five hitter ops of seven hundred, and since June ninth, Mookie Betts has not homer. He hit his ninth home run on June eighth, and has gone nineteen games and eighty two played appearances without hitting a homer. Now, and Otani's been streaky. He's been good lately, but he's been a little streaky. So you know, he's still the best hitter on the team and certainly the most impactful hitter. But if it wasn't for Will Smith, Andy pa Has and Max Munsey, this line would not be happening here. The Dodger pitching has gotten better too recently. But my point is the Dodgers may be ten games ahead of the Giants and Padres by the end of this upcoming weekend, and they still don't have Blake Snell. They still don't have Tyler Glass now, they still don't have Blake Trining. They've been without Evan Phillips all year long, and their offense, statistically speaking, every category is the best, and it still hasn't reached its potential. It's still not hitting on all cylinders. That is scary for the rest of the league. And you look at the Royals and we get so upset over one game or one game doesn't go the Dodgers' way. Every win means something to the Royals, every win and loss means something to the Giants and Padres. The Dodgers are tied for the best record in baseball. They have the most talent, they have the highest payroll, they have the best infrastructure. They have two airplanes to make their players as comfortable as can be. They are not one step ahead of everybody else, They're three or four steps ahead of everybody else and have mastered the regular season. And as we saw last year, you need things to go your way. Who would have thought the Dodgers with two and a half starters would have won the World Series? You didn't. You thought the Dogs were in real big they were in big trouble. And after they were down two games to one to the Padres, people were talking about firing Dave Roberts, and here he is with an extension, making eight and a half million dollars a year. The Dodgers are the world champions. So there are different ways to win in October, and the Dodgers proved it again last year. So yes, things are going great. I fully expect them to be in the NLCS. But there are some teams that if they were to face them in a short series, would give them a challenge, including the Giants who have Logan Webb and Robbie Ray. I mean, any given night, those good starting pitchers can shut down an offense, and all of a sudden you're down oh two and it's a winner, go home in Game three or Game four. So right now the Dodgers are in great position to make another run. But there is a lot of season left. But my point is, the Dodgers get a ten game lead here, they all of a sudden, now you have even more luxury. Not to rush Otani, to be a pitcher, not to rush back Blake Trining, not to rush back Blake Snell. That's my point in all this. Eight six six nine, eight seven two five seventy is the phone number Tomorrow night at Dodgers Stadium, the first of a three game series between the Dodgers and White Sox. Miguel Vargas we'll be back at Dodgers Stadium as a White Sock and he'll be facing Yamamoto tomorrow night. Yamamoto seven and six with an ERA of two sixty one, going up against Shane Smith, the right hander in fifteen starts this year's three and five with an ERA at three thirty eight Tomorrow night. Our coverage begins at six o'clock with Morongo Casino Dodgers on deck. Tim Kates will get you ready for the game and first pitch with Rick Monday and Tim Nevertt at seven to ten from Dodgers Stadium. And then on Wednesday Night, that's the big night, That's the big night of the homestand Clayton Kershaw taking the mound just three strikeouts away from three thousand in his career. You know, you hear about these lists about the greatest player for the Dodgers at every position in the last quarter century. Forget about that. Clayton Kershaw is the greatest Dodger in the last quarter century period. There's nobody better in the last twenty five years. Name me a better Dodger, Name me a more impactful Dodger in the last twenty five years. And instead of going through every position, how about tonight we talk about the Mount Rushmore of Dodgers in the last quarter century. That means four. You can only have four in the last twenty five years. Kershaw obviously number one. I got Justin Turner on that Mount Rushmore nine years of the last twenty five And here's the kicker, Mookie Bets I got him. Is it Otani After just one and a half seasons of incredible Dodger baseball winning a World Series and going fifty to fifty last year as a DH. Or are you putting Seeger Bellinger who's won an MVP and a Rookie of the Year, or you putting Matt Kemp? You know those those six guys. I think you have two spots for Mookie Bets one year of Otani, Seger Bellinger and Matt Kemp. Who is that? Eight six six nine eight seven two five seventy is the phone number when we continue your phone calls. And also it is Kershaw Appreciation Night, as we are on the eve basically of Kershaw reaching something that we may not see reached again in our lifetime, a pitcher reaching the milestone of three thousand strikeouts. Keik, Hernandez will celebrate Kershaw in our next segment as well. Six nine seven two five seventy is the phone number. David vass with you until eight o'clock right here on a five to seventy LA Sports. I was listening to some yacht rock on the way from Kansas City, actually from Denver to Kansas City. I was listening to some yacht rock in Denver, a lot of yacht rock. When I was getting ready to go to the ballpark. I was playing a lot of yacht rock anyway. David Vass back in La very happy to be here. And the Dodgers are feeling good after winning five out of six on their last road trip. And look, the Dodgers got through the toughest part of their schedule in the first half of the season, a twenty nine game stretch where they played the Mets seven times, they saw the Yankees three times, they saw the Padres seven times, they saw the Giants for the first time this year. And they came out seventeen and twelve on the other side of that twenty nine game stretch and have a seven and a half game lead over both the Padres and Giants heading into a three game series against the White Sox. And look, this is a big deal this homestand the day after tomorrow, Clayton Kershaw takes the mound just three strikeouts away from three thousand. If you don't have tickets, it's summertime right now. And I know it's the White Sox. I think it's Yamamoto Bobblehead Night. In fact, it is Yamamoto Bobblehead Night. I mean, come for Kershaw and get the bobblehead. That's all I'm looking at on Wednesday, and you know, find a way to capture the moment. And I fully expect him to get three strikeouts on Wednesday night. I know he's expecting himself to get three strikeouts on Wednesday night. The White Sox are one of the worst teams in baseball. I haven't really done a deep dive on how many times they have struck out, but the Rockies were had the highest strikeout percentage of any team in baseball. And he got five strikeouts at Corsefield, And if he was allowed to keep going, I believe he would have got it in Coursefield. But come on, we all wanted Kershaw to achieve this all time career milestone here at Dodger Stadium. Is he on your Mount Rushmore? Of course he is. Of course He's the greatest Dodger in the last quarter century. Who is the last two on your Mount Rushmore? I got Kershawn justin Turner. I'm kind of torn between Mookie Seeger Bellinger, one year of Otani and let's not forget about Matt Kemp who almost won the MVP and having a forty forty year as well. Let's go out to Chuck in Torrance. You're on Dodger Talk with David vasse Hi. Chuck.
Speaker 2: Hey, hey, David, how you doing today? Thanks for taking a call. Hey, pleasure real quick, David, I am a yeah, just real quick. I have a couple of balls, all right. I realize how out field is in that. You know, they're not fast flooring. Even though I get Padres, he's okay at center field, but the other two ends, you know, left and right field, I'm kind of worried about that. And then again, we have a goal and glove short stop there. It's not really hitting too much right now. I was wondering who we could put him back, maybe starting after the All Star Game, putting back to right field, let West s up or whatever and come back to hitting three hundred and you know, one hundred RBIs and what thirty home runs right now?
Speaker 1: Do you think that would do it?
Speaker 3: Chuck?
Speaker 2: I think that it's just my opinion. You know, we don't have too many weeks spots statement, but I just think that that's one but the but the pitching to me is, you know, I feel confident about the pitching because everybody's gonna get healthy. What do you write, Chuck, David.
Speaker 1: You're not the worst person to ask me about that, Chuck. And look, there's no denying Mookie Bets is the greatest right fielder we have seen, no doubt about it, And many that saw Willie Mays say Mookie Betts was the second best outfielder they have seen play that I have spoken to. But here's the issue. If you move Mookie Bets to right field and you move ta Oscar Hernandez to left field, are you just saying, Michael CONFORDO, You're on the bench for the rest of the year. And are you comfortable, Chuck playing a thirty six year old Miguel Rojas and moving tom Y Edmond to shortstop this early in the year Rojas Edmund Kim combination at shortstop. You know, I don't think it's crazy, Chuck. I don't think it's crazy. But right now, I just don't see that move being made because Mookie Betts has played really good shortstop. It's not like he hasn't played good shortstop. He has played good shortstop.
Speaker 2: Then basically it was a little weak, you know, and like his home run production is really you know what I'm saying. But eventually, eventually, he'll come around, you know, that's all it is.
Speaker 1: I'm actually hoping Chuck that he doesn't make the All Star team. I hope Francisco Lindor beats him out because I really believe Ki Bets he needs to catch his breath at the All Star break. He really does, because going back to Tokyo, you know, maybe he's never really had his legs underneath him. Maybe this gives him a chance to regroup, maybe just give his mind a rest. I would love Mooki just to stay in the house, go swimming with the kids in the house, don't go anywhere. Just rejuvenate yourself because you've played great shortstop and I feel like mentally you never get to take a playoff at shortstop like you do in right field. And I just feel like, if Mooki takes the All Star break off, just shut everything off and just rejuvenate your mind, your body. I think he's gonna be ready for a big second half. So, you know, as much as I would love to see in the game, would love to have Mookie Beds at the All Star Game this year, the Dodgers are going to have enough representation. I just think it would be best for Mooki and the Dodgers a blessing in disguise if for some reason Francisco Lindor beats him out in the fan vote and hopefully the coaches don't vote them to the reserves. Let's go out to see me Valley, Alex, you're on Dodger Talk. How you doing Alex?
Speaker 3: Hey, David, how you doing here?
Speaker 4: You okay?
Speaker 1: I can.
Speaker 2: Okay?
Speaker 5: Hey, yeah, Joe. I was just gonna say, I think I think Max Monkey deserves some consideration there.
Speaker 1: Definitely, Hey for Mount Rushmore since twenty eighteen, and then.
Speaker 5: Maybe maybe Seeger or soon o Tawny, But I think Max Monty definitely deserves some consideration there.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 1: See this is hilarious because two months ago many callers one in Max Munsey off the Dodgers. Were you one of those people, Alex? Are you trying to just go overboard in your maxim see love? Now?
Speaker 5: No, I wasn't one of those. I was patient with him. I appreciate that the Dodgers are also patient with their players when they struggle. I think a lot of fans tend to jump ship too soon on guys. But we've seen many times before where the players just need a little bit more time to work through their struggles. But Max has been a consistent producer for us his entire career, so I was willing to bear with it and give him more time. And I'm glad that that Roberts and the GMS did as well.
Speaker 1: Smart Man, Alex. A resume means something, no doubt about it. It's not like this is Max Munsey's first year with the Dodgers. He has a lot of credit with this fan base, and that's why I thought it was ridiculous that fans were jumping off the Muncie bandwagon, and look, he needed to make an adjustment. He did. He went to get his eyes checked, and ever since then he hasn't looked back. In the last forty games, twelve home runs, forty six RBIs. In the last ten days, he said, two Grand Slams. Let's go out to Torrance. Anthony, You're on Dodger Talk with David vasse Hi. Anthony, Hey, David, how's it going great?
Speaker 6: I was just calling in to talk about the Dodgers, Mount Rushmore the last.
Speaker 1: Twenty five years. The last twenty five years, Yes.
Speaker 6: So I totally agree with you about Justin Turner and I also want to add I would say Matt Camp is because I mean, obviously that twenty eleven year was pretty special and he's always been a fan for you, So I would say Matt Camp and also Corey Seeger because of how well he played for us during the twenty twenty peason, even though you know he was injured sometimes that post season really really helped us out win that championship World Series. Yeah, exactly right.
Speaker 1: You you only have four spots. You got Kershaw, you got j T, you got Seeger, and you got Matt Camp. That's it.
Speaker 6: Yeah, those are the main four that I would put honestly.
Speaker 1: All right, Anthony, thanks for the phone call. Eight six six nine eight seven two five seventy is the phone number. We have three lines open. We will get to your phone calls. But since we are celebrating Clayton Kershawn, who knows this may be his final season in Major League baseball Because there are a lot of variables and there's not one certain thing that will dictate whether or not Kershaw comes back. He's gonna see a how he feels physically at the end of the year, and that's number one and number two. You know, there are other variables that he's gonna have to take into account. So don't take for granted any one of these starts this season, especially Wednesday night when he's just three strikeouts away from three thousand and A guy that has been his teammate longer than anybody on this current roster is keike A Hernandez, who got called up to the Dodgers in twenty fifteen after he acquired that off season. We had a chance to catch up with Key k before Kershaw's last start. Thanks a lot for the time.
Speaker 7: Yeah, you're welcome. I didn't really get a choice, so yeah.
Speaker 1: You know you want to spend more quality time with me.
Speaker 7: No, I'm doing this for Kurse, not for you, but yes, whatever you need.
Speaker 1: Okay, thank you, and it's great to have you in the starting lineup behind Kershaw. You obviously are aware that he's only eight strikeouts away from three thousand. What does he meant to you as a teammate.
Speaker 7: I think Kurts has been an inspiration.
Speaker 8: You know, I got here a lot of strikeouts ago, and when I got here, he was in the midst of one of the greatest runs that pitcher has ever put together.
Speaker 7: And if he didn't know who.
Speaker 8: If you didn't know the name, if you weren't aware of who he was, what he had done in the game, and you just observed the way that he handled his business and the way that he worked and his routine and all that, you would think that he'd be a guy that wasn't even establishing the big leagues, you know, guy that was hungry, guy doing whatever it.
Speaker 7: Took to stay at the big league level.
Speaker 8: He worked harder than anybody in the in that locker room. You never just and you never saw him just sitting in this locker He was always doing something. And you know, for him to do that, you know, coming off an MVP season and he's third, so young, and he was I would say the best way to if I had to describe in one word, it was a perfectionist.
Speaker 1: How would you describe the way your friendship, your relationship with him has grown since twenty fifteen, It's grown a lot.
Speaker 8: I mean, I he with my personality. It's not easy to be around pictures that you can't necessarily talk to on start day. So we we we.
Speaker 7: We butt heads a few times.
Speaker 8: The first couple of years, but but no, man, you know, he's we can't be any We can't be more different, but we were very similar at the same time when it comes to baseball and all this, all these things. So you know, I see Curse as a great example for for for a lot of things, you know, leading the pitching staff, leading by example in the locker room. A great family man, great great dad. You know, Curse is one of those guys that is if you have to teach show your kids how to handle themselves, you you you show Curse.
Speaker 1: When you look at him, even though you're a position player. Do you feel like he sets the tone for everybody else to raise their level of work ethic.
Speaker 8: Yeah, that's that's exactly what we're trying to get at the first question. You know, Uh, guy that has done that much and he's still working that hard, and it just it pushes you. It inspires you to work harder and and and keep trying to improve your game. And of course he's a he's uh, he's a very much, very very different picture than when when I first got to this team.
Speaker 7: But if it wasn't for his work.
Speaker 8: Ethic and and and his dedication and and it is desired to be better each and every day. Uh, the evolution of Clayton, not just as a as a guy, but as a pitcher has been incredible.
Speaker 7: And you know, to still be out there.
Speaker 8: And and his stuff is a lot different. You'd say that then ten years ago. Uh he's got new pitches, but uh, you know, and he still goes out there and then and manage manages the manages to keep him off off the off the board scoring runs.
Speaker 7: Uh. You know, it's it's really impressive.
Speaker 8: And you know, uh, every time I hear that song at Dodger Stadium, it puts me in a better mood. And it's just maybe it's a coincidence, but some of my better games as a Dodger have been behind Clinton.
Speaker 1: Is that for everybody? Does it? Does it raise the level of focus and intensity when you play behind him? Uh?
Speaker 8: Yeah, I mean whenever you have those guys on the mound, you just you want to be great for them behind them, and especially guys that found the strikes on the way that he does. He gets a lot of early contact. Guys are trying to trying to get out of the batter's box as soon as they can so that they don't strike out there. You know, they he has the curve. Boy as a slider. He has the fastball, so.
Speaker 7: Guys don't want to get to two strikes with.
Speaker 8: So a lot of guys swing early, and he manufactures a lot of weak contact because he throws a lot of pitches off the strike zone that looks like strikes, and guys are are, you know, being too aggressive because they don't want to get to two strikes And he gets a lot.
Speaker 7: Of early contacts.
Speaker 8: So he keeps you, he keeps you active on the defensive side. He's not He never puts you on your heels by you know, just walking the house or anything like that. And of course he's Clayton kershell, So you just want to make the place for him. And I've been fortunate enough to play behind him a lot and make a lot of really nice.
Speaker 7: Place for him. Kay.
Speaker 1: He said that Freddy Freeman has made him aware as he gets closer to three thousand strikeouts? How aware and how much do you think he's aware going into today and fighting against trying to chase those strikeouts?
Speaker 8: He knows, he's he's very aware, you know, Clayton, he's a he's a very self aware person. He always knows what he needs to do. He's a he's I know for a fact he's aware because we had a conversation about him potentially flying some of his former catchers for the day that he could get the three thousand strikeout in a perfect world.
Speaker 7: He he he does it at home.
Speaker 8: But yeah, he's aware, and he's he's joked around like he's like, what if I'm sitting atween nine, nine hundred ninety nine and I want to get that last strikeout on a heater and I try to overthrow it and you never get that strike out. But he's gonna get that strikeout and it doesn't really matter what pitch he uses, because you know, the only pitch that would that would not be an iconic strikeout would be the split just because he hasn't had that. Of his three thousand, not many of them have been on a split, But either way, three thousand strikeout is allowed to strikeouts and.
Speaker 7: That's why not many pitchers have done it.
Speaker 8: And you know, it's it's it's always special when you get to be part of a small part of history.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's awesome that you're here for it. It's awesome that you're in the starting lineup playing behind Kershaw and hopefully whenever he gets that three thousand strikeout. You'll be there behind him as well. Thanks a lot for the time.
Speaker 8: Amazing if I'm behind the play or behind the behind him on the field and you're doing television like that's wow, unbelievable.
Speaker 7: Huh.
Speaker 1: Another great moment in Denver.
Speaker 7: Another great moment in Denver. Thanks a lot, Thank you so much.
Speaker 1: There he is, Key k Hernandez. There was a lot of kik on this road trip, a lot of lefties. The Dodgers finally got to face and keyk started to heat up, especially yesterday he hit a home run and he just missed the second one, and man, that was an amazing insight to Clayton Kershaw and a great tribute from Key k Hernandez, who has emerged as a leader on this team going back to last October. You could hear how much Kerushaw means to him and has meant to the Dodgers since he got here in twenty fifteen. We all know that, and certainly Wednesday night is going to be special. Eight six six nine eight seven two five seventy is the phone number. We are going to take a time out our last of the night, and we are going to take your phone calls at eight six sixne eight seven two five seventy. I want to know who's on your Mount Dodger Rushmore. You're Mount Rushmore of Dodgers the last quarter century. I've got two. I'm looking for the other two. Maybe you could be the tiebreaker. And also, if we have time, I'll share my conversation with the president of the Negro League Baseball Museum, Bob Kendrick. Got a lot of good response about that yesterday, so maybe we'll share that as well. A lot to get to between now at eight o'clock right here on a five to seventy LA Sports your home for Clayton Kershaws three thousand strikeouts, Dodgers back in action at Dodgers Stadium beginning Tomorrow night Dodgers White Sox at seven to ten Hawaiian Sure giveaway night. That's why are Ronnie Fossio showing up Tomorrow night? The Big Night Wednesday Night, Clayton Kershaw just three strikeouts away from three thousand. Ronnie Fossio will be there. Hope you join us as well at Dodgers Stadium to witness history with Kershaw just three strikeouts away eight sixty six nine eight seven two five seventy is the phone number. Let's go out to Downey. David. You're on Dodger Talk. How you doing, David?
Speaker 3: Good David, how are you.
Speaker 1: I'm so happy to be back home. David went to golf and stuff with the kids in Ventura today. You know, life is good again.
Speaker 3: That's great. Hey. First of all, I want to thank you for this program because you know you are. You know your format, whether we're happy the Dodgers win or we get a little bumm because they lose, you know, you listen to us callers, and me personally, I really really appreciate what you do.
Speaker 1: Hey, thank you. I was I was a caller to Dodger Talk when I was a kid. I listened to this show my whole life. So you know it's important to have and your opinion matters. David.
Speaker 3: Okay, so here's my mount rushmore. I I agree with you with the first three with Clayton Kershaw, Jason, Justin Turner excuse me, and Lookie Betts. Now my fourth one, I'm kind of a toss up, but I'm gonna go with my my gut instinct and I would put Fernando Vealezuela.
Speaker 1: Well, now here's the catch, David, it's the last quarter century. He is not eligible last.
Speaker 3: Okay, how about Eric Ganie.
Speaker 1: Eric Ganne, you would put him above guys like Mookie bats Show, Heo, Tany, Cory Seeger, Cody Bellinger. And I think I wouldn't put.
Speaker 3: Him on there because of the saves, because you know, he broke the record for the saves.
Speaker 1: Okay, so you're you're telling me the mount Rushmore in the last twenty five years would be Kershaw, Justin Turner, Eric Ganye and who else.
Speaker 3: No, I would agree with like with Mookie Bade the first three, I agree with you.
Speaker 1: All right, So and Eric Dane. Yes, all right, David, thanks for the phone call.
Speaker 3: Ready.
Speaker 1: That's an interesting Uh, that's an interesting one right there. I mean I wouldn't include Eric Ganie because I mean he's a closer number one, number two.
Speaker 3: I mean.
Speaker 1: One inning. I mean they were great innings. They were great innings, no doubt about it. But uh, you know, he was a three time All Star, three time All Star and incredible three years, no doubt about it. But that's a little bit of a reach for me. Let's go out to a joy in Alpine.
Speaker 9: Hi, a Joy, Hey, what's up?
Speaker 2: David.
Speaker 9: Good to have you back, man.
Speaker 3: Thank you.
Speaker 9: It sounds like you're good man. So just have a couple of quick questions I had for you. Number one in regards to Max Munty and where he's been batting. I noticed that Ek kind of touched based on that during the broadcast during the weekend. Is that more some a situational thing with them trying to kind of still put him a little back when it's a lefty or is that kind of like what he said where he's kind of you know, double, you know, clean up there, kind of trying to turn over the bottom.
Speaker 1: I think it's a little bit of both. He hasn't been very good against lefties this year until recently. I mean he's been correct an one hundred hitter against lefties this year, and all of a sudden, like everything else that he touches, it's turned to gold recently. So I think it was a little bit of both.
Speaker 9: Nice and then I'm not a big list guy, but just get to give it a whirl here. So obviously Kershaw, I have Matt Kim because I think that was a taint hit and lost the MVP he had in a twenty eleven. I have Cody Bellinger, because I mean, the kid was great man when he was with us. You know, if it wasn't for the injury, who knows, and then I have Mookie and then that would be that would be it right there. I think, yeah, that's yeah, you got there. I'm pretty comfortable with that. Yes, sir, all right, all right, solid taking my call.
Speaker 1: Have a good night, brother, all right, a joy, thank you, thanks for calling. All right, let's go out to Carson, Manny, you're on Dodger Talk. You doing, Manny?
Speaker 10: What's going on DV? Welcome back to La man. We missed you out here, but we should get straight to it. My Mount Rushmore. You gotta have ck number twenty two playing Kershaw obviously, yep, I do a great I do agree with MOOKI. He had a great, great, great impact on the team, especially in twenty twenty for that World Series run. I have to add a Freddy Freeman in there. And I know he's only been on the team for the last four seasons or so, but he's missed Game seven. You know, he practically named himself last year game one. So I'm gonna put Freddy up there as my three and for four, my favorite dog of them all and I miss him terribly, Corey Seeger.
Speaker 1: I love that, Manny, and I can't believe I forgot about Freddy Freeman. But you're right that one swing in Game one of the World Series and him just being a great player certainly makes him a viable candidate. And I wouldn't argue with that, Manny. So that's a great call by you. Thanks a lot. Yeah, Freddy Freeman having the World Series that he had last year automatically put some as a candidate for the Mount Rushmore in the last twenty five years without a doubt. And he's been really good since he became a Dodger in twenty twenty two, I believe, yeah, twenty two. So yeah, hard to argue right there. And that's why it's so tough in the last twenty five years. I mean, there's been so many great players, especially in the last fourteen to fifteen years, including Freddy Freeman. Yeah, I would. I would tend to agree with you. I might have to bump somebody off my Mount Rushmore to have Freddy Freeman on mine as well. Let's go out to San Diego. Ed, You're on Dodger Talk. How you doing, Ed, what's going on?
Speaker 3: How you doing?
Speaker 2: I'm I'm down with the three guys, but to me include Mike.
Speaker 1: When did Mike Piazza play at it's the last twenty five years.
Speaker 9: He was done in ninety eight, that's right, twelve All Stars with the Dodgers.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Mike Piazza was great, but he didn't play in the last twenty five years with the Dodgers. No, he's out, he's out. Thank you for the phone call. You're out too. Let's go out to George and Eastvale. You're on Dodger Talk. How you doing, George?
Speaker 9: Great?
Speaker 10: Great? Thank you, David.
Speaker 3: And since he.
Speaker 1: Brought up Piazza, Hey, George. Just to make it clear for the record, I don't have Eric Carros on my Mount Rushmore because he was a nineties player. He only played three more years with the Dodgers from two thousand to two thousand and three, and his prime was in the nineties. So that's the reason why Caros isn't on mine either. I don't want him to be offended. He's easily offended, George, trust me, No.
Speaker 7: I get it.
Speaker 11: I I'll go with Kenny Jason Hey.
Speaker 1: Ken Jackson, an all time SAFS leader in the last twenty five years he became I like that, George, I like that.
Speaker 11: Yeah, Freddie Freeman, Okay, you can't beat Frederie Freeman, you know, with with this big big Homer last year and Mookie Betts. You can't beat Mookie Betts, you know. Then there's the grinder and the last one. I don't know if you agree, but he is mister clutch Man kick Hernandez baby, mister clutch Well.
Speaker 1: I will say this, George. Even Key K would tell you you're ridiculous for having him on Mount Rushmore and not Clayton Kershaw. I'll speak for KEYK here.
Speaker 11: I agree as as No, No, you're right, you're right, but you know kick A has a little soft spot in my own so no, Clayton Kersher, You're absolutely right. I agree with you one hundred percent. But what do you think about my picks?
Speaker 1: I love your picks. I love the Kennley Jansen angle.
Speaker 3: I love.
Speaker 1: That's way more legit than Eric Ganne all time saves leader in Dodgy history, and he did it from twenty eleven on.
Speaker 3: So I'm with you, George, and can getting that honorable mention.
Speaker 1: Okay, he's the mountain right next to Mount Rushmore. Thank you for the phone call, George, appreciate it. Eight sixty six nine eight seven two five seventy is the phone number. That was fun and I loved hearing all of your different Mount rushmorees. He had some good ones and made me reconsider mine, So I appreciate all the calls. We had a chance to catch up with a man that knows a lot about Mount rushmorees in the Negro Leagues. And there is one man that tells the best stories about the Negro Leagues and we are so very lucky to still have him and still sharing the stories of the Negro Leagues to the next generation. And he is the president of the Negro League Museum in Kansas City, and that is the one and only Bob Kendrick. We had a chance to catch up with mister Kendrick before yesterday's game in Kansas City, which was honoring the Negro Leagues. During the Dodgers Royals game, the Royals were wearing the Monarchs hats and the Dodgers were wearing the Brooklyn b hats in honor of the Negro Leagues. And of course the great Jackie Robinson. Thanks a lot for joining us.
Speaker 4: Oh, Dave, it's great to see you man. Thanks so much for having me on the show.
Speaker 1: Well, the franchise of Jackie Robinson, Roy Campanella, Don Newcomb, just to name a few. I mean, it is special to come to Kansas City and see the museum.
Speaker 4: Well, and there's a bridge between the two cities. Because a lot of people don't know, Dave, Dad, Jackie Robinson's illustrious professional baseball career began right here in Kansas City with the great Kansas City Monarchs in nineteen forty five in the negro Leagues. Now, he was only here for five months, but as I tell people, the five months he's spend in Kansas City, he fell in love with everything that Kansas City is famous for, barbecue and jazz.
Speaker 1: I love that. Yeah, Jackie was a big man of jazz and baseball and all that. And Roy Campanella three time MVP. He was a big player in the negro Leagues as well.
Speaker 2: Well.
Speaker 4: Noah and the Dodgers had a litany of great stars that came out of the negro Leagues camp. He joined the team in the negro Leagues called the Baltimore Elite Giants. Now it's spelled elite, but it's pronounced elite because you make those Negro leaguers mad if you call him the elite giants. Well, Campy joins the elites as a fifteen year old catcher.
Speaker 1: Can you believe a fifteen.
Speaker 4: Year old kid catching professionally in the Negro leagues? But as I tell my guests, he was not your typical fifteen year old. He was a fifteen year old man style, but he was fifteen. Nevertheless, and the great Raleigh biss MACKI took him under his wing and taught him the art of catching. And I don't have to tell Dodger fans. Roy Campanella will become a three time MVP with the Brooklyn Dodgers before a tragic car accident left them paralyzed and cut short what was still a Hall of Fame career.
Speaker 1: When we come to the Negro League Museum and you tell the stories of the Negro leagues, are you mesmerized as much as we are? Even though you've told the stories many times? Oh man, this never gets old for me. It doesn't.
Speaker 4: And every time I did a young athlete of any sports discipline, but particularly my young Major league baseball players, it just fills me with great joy to walk them through that museum, to share the stories, many of these stories that the late great Buck O'Neil and other legendary Negro leaguers shared with me, and in doing so, I feel like I'm keeping them alive in my mind and in my heart. But the thing that I share that the threat that they have with those who played in the Negro Leagues is real simple love of the game. You play this game because you love it. And I know sometimes as fans we can get a little fickle because we equate everything to money, and so these guys are afforded an opportunity to make a great living.
Speaker 1: But it's still about the love of the game.
Speaker 4: They are still playing a game that they played for free, and if they had to play it for free, they would still play it for free. But as I remind them, you will never see a greater example of love of the game than you do when you walk through the Negro League's Baseball Museum. They had to love it in order to endure the things that they had to endure.
Speaker 1: What's the lasting legacy of Jackie Robinson with the Negro Leagues and just how special is it for him? To be not only the face of American sports history, but American history period. Absolutely.
Speaker 4: Well, you know, we take great pride that Kansas City and the Negro leagues gave America arguably its greatest hero in Jackie Robinson. And for those who subscribe to the belief that one individual cannot invoke change, well you need to look no further than Jackie Roosevelt Robinson because when he walked out on that field as a member of the Brooklyn Dodgers, he was called everything but my mother would say, but a child of God when he walked out there, and he handled himself with such grace, class, and dignity. But the other side of the ledger is that he was also shouldering the weight of twenty one million black folks who were counting on him to succeed. Yeah, and that's an enormous amount of pressure for any one individual to have to bear, and he did it with tremendous grace, class, and dignity. We should never forget Jackie Robinson, and Baseball has made it such. The Dodger organization has made it such that baseball fans likely won't ever forget Jackie Robinson. And certainly as long as that museum is there operating here in Kansas City. His story will always be at the forefront, but so will those other trail blazers, those who built the bridge that allowed Jackie to cross over and for others to then follow right behind him.
Speaker 1: Before I let you go, show hand Tani one of the greatest players we've ever seen in Major League Baseball. Was there anybody like Otani in the negro leagues?
Speaker 4: Well, the thing that I love about this phenom by the name of shoe Hey Atani is that it has opened up the opportunity for me to talk about the great two way stars of the Negro leagues. And so when Shoe Hay first gets here to play in the major leagues, everyone was saying, Babe Ruth. But in my opinion, Babe Ruth is a royal comparison. The real comparison is to a guy named Wilber Bullet Rogan who was a star pitcher for the Kansas City Monarchs. He is in the National Baseball Hall of Fame. But when Bullet Rogan wasn't pitching and he was a dominant pitcher, he played the outfield and hit cleanup for the Kansas City Monarchs. Now let me tell you you don't just hit clean up for the Kasity monarch.
Speaker 1: You've got to be able to rake.
Speaker 4: And in the words of the immortal Leroy Satchel Page, in the beautiful vernacular of Leroy Satchel Page, who said that Bullet Rogan is the onliest ball player I ever heard of. I've ever seen that pitch and hit in the cleaned up position. That was Robert Bullet Joe Rogan.
Speaker 1: All right, we got a parallel to show. Hey, O, Tommy, I knew you would have the answer to that. No, But you know, I, like the rest of us, I'm a baseball fan. We marvel at what sho he has done.
Speaker 4: And it also gives me an opportunity to talk about that connection between the Negro Leagues and Japan because the Negro Leagues go to Japan in nineteen twenty seven. Man, that's seven years before Babe Ruth and as all Americans go, and they've been commonly credited with having taken our brand of professional baseball to the Japanese.
Speaker 1: But it's not true.
Speaker 4: If it was a team called the Philadelphia Royal Giants, they go over to Japan in nineteen twenty seven, they play a twenty four game exhibition series. They go twenty three to h to one on that tour, and if you were to talk to the older Japanese baseball historian, they will tell you that it was that tour and a subsequent tour by that same Philadelphia Royal Giant that was the spot that lit the flame that is now the fire for professional baseball in Japan, and it's certainly played a role in why we were able to get stars such as Hideo Nomo, my diffriend, Ichiro Suzuki, who's about to be inducted into the National Baseball Hall of Fame, and of course this phenom by the name of Shohei Antani. The negro Leagues play a pivotal role. They helped make our game the global game that it is today. They just never were given credit for it.
Speaker 1: That's why the negro Leagues can never be forgotten and it never will be forgotten because Bob Kendrick has continued to tell the story of the great negro Leagues, and the Negro League Museum Hall of Fame is one place that you have to come to and see our good friend Bob Kendrick when you come to Kansas City. Thanks a lot for the time and man the best stressed guy in Kansas City.
Speaker 4: Thank you, No, it is my pleasure. I want to thank all those Dodger fans who filled up the museum over this weekend series. Thank you guys for coming by and seeing us, Thank you for your support, and thank you for the opportunity to be on the show.
Speaker 1: Hey, we love Bob Kendrick. Thanks a lot for the time, Bob. Hey, we do love Bob Kendrick and really appreciate him coming on the show before yesterday's game right here on a five to seventy LA sports and Sports Net LA best dressed man in the stadium yesterday and Dodger fans always ask me where should we go see the Dodgers? Which stadium should we go? Visit? Kansas City? Would be worth it just to go to the Negro League Baseball Museum. It's that good.
Speaker 4: I know.
Speaker 1: Cooperstown obviously is a big deal for baseball fans, but you've got to put it on your bucket list to go see the Dodgers playing Kansas City, get that great Kansas City barbecue, and go see and visit the Negro League Museum and see Bob Kendrick and get a tour from Bob and you will learn a lot. It's really special. My favorite part of the museum is they have a miniature baseball diamond and they have statues of every great Negro League player at that position. That's my favorite part. So make it to Kansas City, make it to the Negro League Baseball Museum. That'll do it for us. Tonight on Dodger Talk, thanks to Ronnie Fossio for all his help. Thanks to you for listening. In case you missed any of the show, you can find it on the iHeartRadio app. The Dodgers back in action tomorrow night at Dodgers Stadium, opening up a six game homestand beginning with a three game series against the White Sox. Yamamoto on the mound for the Dodgers tomorrow Kershaw on Wednesday, three strikeouts away from three thousand. Hope to see you out there. Tickets are available. Fox Sports Radio is next. We'll talk to you tomorrow from Dodgers Stadium. See them