Speaker 1: Ho ho ho. Welcome to the third episode of Super League three sixty, the podcast all about British rugby league stuff. My name is Lee Addison and my name is John Davidson. John very disappointed in you. I saw that you got an early Christmas present. You had a microphone and you were playing with you but you were playing with your thing before we press record and it's just not it's not working.
Speaker 2: No, I'm not. I'm not the most text savvy of individuals there. Eventually we've got We've got lots of episodes to camp.
Speaker 1: So and I'm in the Chris, I'm in the Christmas spirit John, and inspired by you last time with your bar humbug T shirt on and you've just turned up in army colors.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm just matching your your red with a bit of green, you know, a bit of festive brain.
Speaker 1: John's and army fatigues. Lee Addison's dressed as father Christmas. Well, this pod obviously has a British rugby league lean and more specifically Super League, but we've not done one podcast yet of this of the two and this third will fit that that same theme. We need to do some politics, we need to do some rugby league politics because we go in all sorts of directions, and what what does shock me at the moment is that there's still been nothing positive about the World Cup next year in terms of England's preparations. All have heard, all that's been in the news is Sean Wayne won't get a warm up game. That's indeed, if Sean Wayne is the coach, Yeah.
Speaker 2: There's not. There's not really been much news or talk about that. I mean, I think there's some speculation that he might get the get the acts, but yeah, in terms of no warm up game, probably very few meetings together. Yeah, it will be I guess systems as usual, so I think expectations will be probably quite low for in the World Cup.
Speaker 1: We'll dedicate some time each week to the NRL as well or each fortnite until the season starts. I guess right now, John, there's not much in the NRL sphere, is there?
Speaker 2: No, there isn't And to be honest, just that podcast would just like to sort of express the I guess, the the shock and the devastation, the sadness of what happened at Bondo Beach a week and a half ago. Obviously not rugby league related, but but in Australia and something that kind of affects the whole world. And I know at least there was a there was a Manly fan who was who was who was killed, as well as the Northern Beach is constable who was shot in the head. I think he's in hospital recovering.
Speaker 1: But yeah, just well, the photographer, Peter Marr was the was the the rugby club on the Northern Beaches there, he was their photographer. So awful news awful. I spoke to. I spoke to a friend who lives in Maroubra who frequents Bondi quite regularly as a suburb and there apparently as a palpable shock stroke, sadness stroke, anger on the streets and just looking at the news, the news cycles, the news items. It's only just now starting to drop off in terms of intensity of news items. My fear is that the legal process will drag on. My fear is that there'll be a Sydney lawyer somewhere who will look to get their name in the sun and to defend this alleged that we've got to say alleged. There's plenty of pictures and videos of a man with a gun shooting plenty of people. So my theor is something like that will happen. Let's not go far too far down this rabbit hole. Apart from to say, awful, awful, awful news, anybody who has been affected by listening to this podcast sending our love. I'm sure you agree with that, John. Also, we don't discriminate, mate, do it?
Speaker 2: So no, no, no, definitely not so hopefully Yeah, thoughts and praise and lot as you said to everyone affected.
Speaker 1: And now I'm just going to turn off this air conditioner next to me because it sounds like a train in my airphones. Just give me a second, and then if I start sweating with me Santa hat on, I'll have to put it back on. John. You're a UK based Australian journalist and over the next year, well, who knows, we might be going for ten years with this podcast, John, we might win awards and stuff. You're going to be getting some interviews for us and things like that, and scoops, aren't you.
Speaker 2: That's the plane, Yes, that is the plan.
Speaker 1: Where can people find you?
Speaker 2: They can form me on x Johnny J Davidson, and they can form me on Facebook at John Davidson journalist and on Patreon at Rugby League hub dot com longreads.
Speaker 1: I'm a UK born rugby league coaches coach in Australia a long time. You can find me probably at the Cricket at the moment, but also admin at Rugby League Coach dot com. But I use my email at Rugby League Coach on Socials and Rugby League Coach dot com dot au is my website. This podcast is being aired on the Ashes, Rugby League and Rugby League Coach Pops platforms for a while, but please start to switch over please to the Super League three sixty podcast platform. What should we talk about first, Johnny? And what should we talk about first? Because we're doing fault nightly at the moment, we seem to have a lot of little items. So the first one I want to talk about and we have had a question about this from a social media person and I'm going to leave that till the end. Then there's a reason I'm doing that. But Matt Pete, the Wigan coach, is another who's decided to come out and have a go at the speed of the roock in Super League. What can you tell us about that, Johnny D Davidson.
Speaker 2: Yeah, just to clarify he's not come out and had to go. It was obviously a question I asked him in an interview. I asked him lots of questions and he answered pretty honestly. It was on the back of the p Steve Masacor did with the Catalans coach John Tomkins and the Toulouse coach Sylvan and Jules a couple of weeks before, you know, and they were both adamant about how the Super League has become too defense orientated. There's too much wrestling, The Rucks are too slow, there's not enough consistency in how they're policed. They're very messy, and I think anyone who watched the Ashes, particularly perhaps NRL fans who then, you know, the first Test being reft by an English left, or just the way that the English players struggle to kind of adapt to the NROL refereeing of those second and third test, would probably agree, And those who watched Super League would probably agree that the way the Rucks are and the NRLs super League a light used to part a part. Even my partner, who doesn't watch a lot of rugby league, when she sees an NRL game sort of says it's like a different products, a different sport. So I think there is a realization from a lot of people in Super League that they need to adapt their rucks, their competition to more how the NRL is playing if they want if England is going to be able to match the not just the Strands, but the Kiwi's, the Smalls, the Tongans and anyone else who was drawing their national team from the RL. Yeah, I think I think the one of the issues is the consistency of how referee police is. You know, what is a quick rap, was a slow rock or is a dominant tackle, what isn't and why the markers aren't square whether the ten's being policed or not. And I even I spoke to Brian Carr a Castle for a couple a week or so ago and he was also supportive. So I think the vast majority of Super League coaches would agree with what Mad people saying and what you know Tompkins and Whols was saying as well.
Speaker 1: I mean, it's to me it's just been allowed to slip because a few years ago the Rocks were twice as fast as they were in the NRL because the referees didn't want them to be on the ground at all in any way, shape or form. So teams were doing their best to keep the attacker upright and dance with them if you like. So, so it's just the way it's evolved. I'd say there's a bit more slopping us in the game in the last five or ten years. For years the markers haven't been squaring the Super League, and one if you look back at the Super League Grand Final in particular, there was one period of about five minutes where the refact lost complete control of the rook and there was all sorts of messy things happening in and around the play the ball. So they seem to be suffering referees from paralysis by analysis forgetting some of the basics if you ask me, and I welcome this discussion. Now, Sky are the TV rights holders for the Super League for one more year at least, is that right?
Speaker 2: Yes, that's right. Yeah, the current three dealings at the end of twenty twenty.
Speaker 1: Six, and because there's two extra teams tagged onto the Super League, there's an extra fixture. So there's been some conjecture pertaining to whether Sky would cover that game and for the same fee that they're that they're paying, and all we know is that the game is going to be covered.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So essentially, obviously under the deal it was for you know, six games a week, a set amount of games in a year, and then Super League not really to anyone's knowledge why, but just decided to expand without most deliberation or that much analysis and adding two more teams without much thought apart from eliminating loot fixtures because apparently loot fixtures are the devil. They thought, we're just adding two more teams. How are we going to fund them? Or we're not thought about that? Who's going to show them? Or we're not thought about is the broadcast run? Well, we're not thought about that. So there's a bit of a shit fight basically, Lee. But my understanding speaking to a few sources, is that Sky will show the games and they will pay some of the production costs because we're looking at between half a million to you know, six hundred and fifty odd thousand pounds for the year because it's an extra game every round in twenty seven rounds. They will be on Sky and Sky will pay for some of those costs, but not all of them. So as a bit of discussion and negotiation going on, and as the RFL and Super got flushed with cash, you know they're not They're not bursting at the seam. So who pays for that is quite a big thing. I know it's been mooted before that maybe Super League we put the seventh game on like on on our league or on its own Super League Plus on its own streaming platform. But that's not going to happen and it will be on Sky. But yeah, it's just a bit of an ongoing saga. You would have to I mean, I'm not a businessman, but you'd have to think that one of your keeper business partners make a big decision like expanding the competition without discussing them. Seems a bit strange and a bit odd. But maybe it's attacktic to get more money out of Sky in twelve months, who knows.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the Rugby Football League looking for a new CEO and chair as we speak. What can you tell us about that?
Speaker 2: Yeah, so the last Saturday there's basically a job had published saying that the RFL was looking for a new chair, not of the RFL but of all three bodies. So it's probably a bit of a long winded explanation.
Speaker 1: But please do, please do, We've got time.
Speaker 2: So we have the RFL, which is the Rugby Football League, which is the governing body, and then within that they have Rugby League Commercial which is essentially a separate entity, but their commercial arm which is in charge of things like sponsorships and TV negotiations. And then they also have Super League Europurope, which is with the representative of all that was now fourteen but was twelve clubs. So the RFL not only runs spell E Europe, but Super Egurope kind of runs itself. But the RFL is the governing body across all these things. And the RFL is also in charge of the women's game and the championship and League One. So essentially this was, you know, this was the speculation for months when Niger WAD would came back in that they would realign all these bodies and try and basically get some of the rid of some of the duplication of roles, essentially cut costs and merge them back together. So they're looking for a chairman to lead all three of those boards, so essentially one chairman across that, which they don't have at the moment. I think from the job at it's about one hundred days a year, so it's not a full time role. They didn't mention a salary, but look, they constantly do this the last what seven eight years, We've had Roller Umer and Tony Sutton. So they say they're looking in a worldwide search, We're going to look at the best candidates, and then it seems to be somebody who already works at the RFL.
Speaker 1: So I think with a Northern accent.
Speaker 2: Yeah, with a Northern accent, who used to work for Bradford or hollow c or Huddersfield. Look, I've said this for a number of years. I think there needs to be much like Peter Landy's was in the NFL and outsider, not someone who's come from clubland, someone who hasn't got you know, ties to specific club owners or clubs or whatever. Someone who can come in as a bit of a clean slate, fresh slate and actually makes some serious change and you know, lead the bloody things. So will that happen? I will not hold my breath because I would probably be dead. But it is interesting. Also Tony Sutton, who was Ralph Rumer's deputy, who was the last RFL c He left in October and abu or Koku, who was a part of niger Wood's review committee, was appointed interim CEO, much to the surprise of everyone because there was no recruitment process for that. But I believe he's leaving at much so and I only looking for a CEO of the RFL. They're also looking for a chair of everything at the same time. So the speculation would be that niger Wood will leave then and go back into his hibernation again. He's just come back in a power. Would he leave I don't I don't know. Nigel doesn't answer my calls or messages or emails. I wouldn't be surprised if Nigel went back to run Bradford or have an ownership stake in Bradford like he did before. But it's interesting because you know, maybe things will change at the very top. Maybe they won't, but maybe we'll have fresh blood.
Speaker 1: Maybe we won't. And I think the big when you mentioned Peter the land is there. The big thing that I think happened there is the game got somebody with influence, Yes, so who happened to like rugby league as well? And therefore who's got influence in the UK. Well, the first name that sprung to mind for me was the Hearne family, and they approached rugby league a few years ago, or believe or were approached by rugby league a few years ago and couldn't run, couldn't run for the Hills fast enough. I believe so so that.
Speaker 2: With the Hearns, I think I think the offer to them was, why don't you run the Challenge Cup? You know, the Challenge Cup struggling, it's not what it once was. Why don't you run that? And they sort of said, well, no, we want everything, super League, we want the Challenge Cap, we want everything. And I don't think, I mean, we could argue whether that would be a good thing for the game or not. It's really hard to say, because the Hearne success has come in very individualist sports, you know, boxing, snook car, what else have I done? Darts? And they've got to I'm not criticizing the Herns. They've been amazingly successful. You know, they're very good at publicity, driving up media rights. But also you could argue some of the you know, the characteristics aren't great, you know, getting in bed with Saudi Arabia, you know, is that a good thing. Personally, I don't think it is so rugby league as you know Lee in the UK and probably more so than Australia. It's very grounded in this community roots kind of local, you know, it's it's the pride of the local community. So I don't think on the one end, you can have this big business, let's make lots of money, let's get publicity, and the same have this social impact. We're great for the community. That kind of thing. Like, there's probably a bit of hypocrisy if you're trying to go down path.
Speaker 1: I don't know, well, I understand what you're saying, but that northernness, that community feel, et cetera. There's a very big brand that managed to pull that off and that's Coronation Street and they've and they've pulled it off for most of the last century. So I it's all it's all about how you're packaging. It's all about how you how you move forward with it, and it's all about how you present to the wider world. I mean the classic case is Eddie wearing Eddie wearing Ray French in rugby league. We tended to hammer these people Ray French and Eddie wearing God rest both their souls. And I remember, particularly when I was young, most people in the adult world I spoke to didn't like Ray French as a commentator. The same with Eddie and Stevel. We tended to criticize. And then as they as they retire and things start to become glossy eye this some people start to forget what they used to think. But I don't. I don't forget that at all. Eddie Wearing in particular was moved to defend himself at one point because of the the attitudes that people had to to Eddy Wearing's commentary, and the criticisms of Eddie Wearing in particular were that he was too northern. Yet the BBC, so the establishment and therefore so many viewers around the world around the UK seem to love Eddie Wearing because he must have been somebody who pulled in pulled in audiences. So I think that's what's missing in rugby league, that connection between between what what sells. There's nothing wrong with being northern, there's nothing wrong with being a community, and you can be very proud in that, but you need to package it and and and embrace it so that people some people literally enjoy you for that. And I think probably one of rugby league's problems is that it is so uncomfortable being itself, It's so uncomfortable in its own skin that that that just people smell that, people sniff that, and then when they do these bungles in the administration all the time, it's not poor rugby league. It's people laughing at rugby league because you know, we're too busy killing ourselves in the process as well. So I mean this could be a podcast on its own, mate.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't want to get too deep in many fun A final point on that, I agree on what you're saying. It goes back to earlier this year when Billy Boston got knighted and for those straining lists, Billy Boston's the first, well first person ever, our first player to be knighted for basically for being a rugby league players. Wel Welsh guy who went to Wigan because he could He's black, he couldn't play, wasn't getting picked for the last term because of his race, and was a legend and a hero Wigan and scored eighty billion tries. I think he was one of the first. I think he actually first, first black great British player to play in the Ashes or against Australia. Wasn't the first great Black great player, but he was the first to go down Under in the fifties and sixties. Just a legend. But speaking OFCSS, Chris Radlinsky earn a year when Billy was getting knighted. It was basically the kind of dichotomy of in the UK rugby league players that says this modest heroes. You can't be too big for your boots, you can't be a big character, you can't be you know, Jake Paul, you know, too arrogant to Larry because Josel Yeah, exactly, we're not. That's not our DNA, that's our sports. So there's that kind of well contradiction. I guess that how do we make big stars? How do we make players in the big stars? But then that's kind of against our ethos. So one of these things has to change or I guess we won't have, you know, breakout stars. And obviously in Australia they managed to do it, but the game in England is a little bit different. As you know, there's.
Speaker 1: Different interests in rugby league in Australia though, I think because of the way it was set up in Australia, I think the gambling companies were intermingled with it. Businesses were more intermingled with it, whereas in England it was part of a remote community if you like, in the north of England it was a breakaway. And but also if you look at the way Australia is structured, rugby league basically took off in Sydney, which I think, even though it's not the capital of the country, it competes with Melbourne to be the main city of city time. And therefore, when you see images of Australia, people see the Sydney Opera House, they see the bridge, and not far away from there at all is rugby league. And therefore there's influence in and around Sydney. And I'm pretty sure that if this breakaway happened in London in eighteen ninety five, the influence would be then. It literally is influenced. If you if you look at most documentaries about anything murders or world wars or anything like that, the people that get interviewed on these things are all influential people. It's the it's the lecturer from Cambridge or or the head of this at this university or the head of that at that organization, and it's all about influence. So you know that's where rugby league. Rugby league has missed boat where it probably needs to focus a lot more of its efforts are on things like getting arrested in pubs. So Jamie Baker Peacock, there's a video of him getting arrested. Now, one thing I do want to say about Jamie Peacock, the former Great Britain leads. Did he play for Bradford as well?
Speaker 2: He did? I think he.
Speaker 1: Forward? One thing I will say. Number one, there's no I've not seen any proof that he did anything wrong. Number Two, he's restraint m that that he showed that. I mean, there was nothing you know, he was a gentleman basically, so in the video anyway, So do you know anything about this story because it's not really made the news, has it.
Speaker 2: No. I've got sentence by a contact and it had been online for on x for about two days and it was weirdly posted by this kind of right wing anti police kind of I don't know, pro white kind of account. Basically you know that that the UK is now police date and I contacted the West Yorkshire Police. They weren't any help, but I did had had another source tell me that it was a complete misunderstanding with one of the bar staff. I think it was at a pub in Headingley that got out of hand and that peacock did you know nothing at all. And obviously you watch the video, it's quite a bizarre video and as you said, it definitely reason well, I believe so. I don't have evidence of that, but I believe so. But yeah, as as you said, he didn't. He was remarkably restrained. He didn't do anything wrong. I think maybe, you know, conduct of some of his friends might be a bit too, particularly the American woman. But look, you know, the police looked a little bit over zealous and Jamie conducted himself well, so maybe you're purely misunderstanding. I think when I posted it or retweeted it, I wasn't criticizing Jamie. I have a go I just this was out there. This was you know, it is news, whether people like it or not. You know, former BBC personality form of Great Britain captain probably one of the greatest British players of all time, you know, looking in Australia. I mean, I know it's a different situation. But Wendell Sailor and that was you know, National news last week.
Speaker 1: So yeah, so this is basically what we're saying.
Speaker 2: I'm not saying that it's a two prong it's a two pronged discussion point lea in that it's a very weird thing what happened, and maybe just completely misunderstanding. But someone's filmed, didn't put online and that just goes to show you know, social media and phones.
Speaker 1: I mean, I mean, nothing broke through like that. The cash player that was called Greg.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I had this discussion with someone the other day and it was like, you know, Joe Westerman, he's probably not got one tenth of the profile, but that viral, you know, the Sun and the Daily Mail him looking the asshole out of a woman in next to Greg. So look, didn't do anything like that.
Speaker 1: Restrained, do more for the game, be a bit less restrained, thank you, But it is.
Speaker 2: It is perhaps a concern when something like this doesn't get run in the media, which kind of reflects on how small rugy Legged profile is in the UK.
Speaker 1: I guess we've gone down and we've gone down a rabbit hole there that would be great to go into Lee's laugh, but we're gonna have to pull it back now to civilization. Casson finally got round to doing some refurbishment and redevelopment at Castle. What are what are they redeveloping? The dougouts are.
Speaker 2: So I was I think it was about two weeks ago, and anyone who been to Cast the Jungle, I think it's it's the one Boar Stadium now, which is the real name.
Speaker 1: It's not a in the gym. The jungle used to.
Speaker 2: Be the Mentors Jungle and essentially there was a pitch next to it which was a training pitch. It was more of like a kid's pitch. But that's been level that's been paid. They're building a four G there. They're building a new fan zone around the main stand which will be you know, a lot better than it was. The sort of sponsors corporate facilities have been done up. There's a gym being built as well, so it's kind of it's not a stadium flattening and redevelopment, but they are doing it in stages. And anyone who's been a Cast, and I think the first time I went there was in twenty thirteen, it was like going back in the fifties and that was when and they did fix the toilets up about two years ago, but when you went to the toilet, you were just literally pissing in a hole. There wasn't even a drain and there wasn't you couldn't even wash your hands. It was like going back in time. And look, it's long, long, Yeah, it's long, but I'm I'm applauding cass for for doing it because as.
Speaker 1: Long as they don't slash the budget.
Speaker 2: But look, I think it's it's all sort of part of the new Ryan Carr era there. Obviously he's coming as a new coach from Saint Georgia. Lawara made some Eastern signings. Obviously they've struggled for a number of years Cast, So you know, you look at what Lakefield have done the last two three years and how they've kind of reformed the club. Hopefully Cast can follow suit and that are times ahead for the Tigers.
Speaker 1: So we've just talked about number ones there the where you piss and then the other abolution is the other end. So talking of a ship storm Salford. Salford bid yeah for new ownership has moved on quite significantly. Actually so we last podcast, we were devastated Sulford had finally died, but the patient has been reborn, it seems so this is like the Bible story. This has happened so quickly.
Speaker 2: Well, I think there was a couple of groups who were basically waiting in the wings, working in the wings for once the club was liquidated, which obviously took a lot longer than most of us expected to put in a bid for the license. Obviously, the club, the business went bust, but the license for the RFL to actually run a club in their competitions was available, and there was three groups bidding for it. They were supposed to be a decision on the seventeenth, which was postponed. My understanding is basically the council wanted too much money for the rent for the stadium, something like two hundred pounds.
Speaker 1: Can I just say something there, Yeah, if somebody wanted to own a rugby league club and they couldn't afford two hundred grand, should they be owning in a rugby league club?
Speaker 2: Well? There, I mean it's a part of it's going to be a part on club championship. I mean, how much you know what badge do you think these clubs are on.
Speaker 1: Well, it's at the end of the day. I mean, yeah, I mean I don't want to sit and turn this into a judgment of what finances people have got. Yeah, isn't this the whole problem, people saying they could they could afford something when they couldn't. And yeah, I mean I would have thought it was quite a good fail safe. So two hundred g's too. Let's see if you're serious and it's already got it got rid of one bid basically straight away. I mean, why why would you go in? Why would you try and own a club if you can't stump up one fifth of a million?
Speaker 2: It's a fair point. I think there's a couple of components of this. So it is two hundred grand for thirteen home games and a bit of offer space when you're probably only going to average between fifteen hundred and two thousand fans as a part to one team in the second tier. Is that worth paying? I'd say that's probably too steep personally, but that's just my opinion. And how much money are you going to make, you know, from these home games, because you're not the central distribution that Solva will get. I think they all get the small assess that's something like fifty grand or forty grand. It's nothing. So you look, we've got to get beyond this stage where owners are just okay, you own a club, so you're going to lose half a million a million a year like that's just not a sustainable business model. So I think the r I was right to not rush to make a decision, particularly when there were three groups and one of them was linked to the previous owners. Tracy Autika, the New Zealander. She was linked to the two former owners and New Zealanders, so you know giving her the club the liscense would be Yeah, it wouldn't have gone down well itself. For put it that way, I don't know who.
Speaker 1: I don't know who put the two hundred grand bill on for the stadium. Was it a council? That's quite that's quite smart for them, because if if you own a pub and you want the riff raft to stay out, you put the prices up of the meals and the drinks and you get about you get a better caliber of person come into the organization. You just need to make sure you get enough coming to gad above one.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's quite it's quite an nuanced thing, as you know, Like this stadium was built, well I don't think it was built for Salford, but for the Red Devils when they left the Willows for somewhere to play, and obviously Sale Sharks the rugby union team music too. But it's a bit of a wide elephant that the stadium is now owned fully backed by the council. But you know, what's the council's job. Is it to make money? Is it to you know, provide good government for its citizens? Like what's the Yeah, it's quite nuanced, this whole thing. And I think the club and the stadium have become kind of political football footballs for lack of a pun for the council, for the Labor Party as you know, well you know, we want to keep the sport alive. It's a bit of a vote getting thing as well. So it's quite it's quite a complicated situation, but try and some help. Mason Caitan Brown's bid it was a form of self abay, he has got the nods, so it's him, a couple of local Saltford businessmen. They seem to have the support of a number of ex Solford players who were on the roster last year. I'm speaking to Mason tomorrow, so hopefully I'll have a story out and find out more. But I think out of the three bids, one was the other one was the Chris Irwin bid, who was obviously briefly the CEO under Curtis Brown and Psycha Learly. Chris Erwin was also the one who tried to set up Manchester Rangers a decade or so ago. I think the Mason count Brown one seems to me the most sustainable, logical, the smart decision, and I spoke to I interviewed Mason a couple of weeks ago, and one of the best one of the smart things I think that they did that they came out very publicly with who was involved. They weren't trying to hide anything. They did a lot of interviews and they were upfront and honest. And wouldn't that be something that we'd like to see more of you in rugby league people being John?
Speaker 1: While you were pontificating there, John, I was looking for someone RL news and the only the only NRL news are found on the Daily Telegraph. It is that Connor McGregor had a Rugby League guest at his wedding Pat Richards.
Speaker 2: I followed Pat richards on on Instagram and I saw that, and I know, obviously Pat Richards has got Irish ancestry. He played for Ireland, so he must either know McGregor's wife or him. But yeah, I mean, Connor's not of the best public rap has he with the old rape case and everything.
Speaker 1: But I will say this, We'll look, we're looking for coverage for the game. We need more, we need more weddings like this.
Speaker 2: I've got two words for. Is that Lomax?
Speaker 1: Yeah, there's him too.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, don't you think I mean what?
Speaker 1: I've got another big news item. First, Cowboys coach Todd Payton has decided to go in on the for forty eight hours before they start training in Vegas. That's the other news item. Just letting you know, thank you, Sorry, John, I disturbed you exact.
Speaker 2: Lomax, I mean, apart from the Boner decision to tear up his paramount of contract to go to R three sixty. But surely if your Perth Bears I mean, I think Rugby Australian, the Wallabies, I mean they begin to have him walk into the wall. But surely Perth you would want to make him your markete. Sorry, wouldn't you, because he's one of the best wingers in the world.
Speaker 1: He struggles defensively sometimes, but he's better than nobody. He's better than yeah.
Speaker 2: Negative analysis, you and your negative analysis.
Speaker 1: Oh, I'm going to have a got negative No, it's called accountability.
Speaker 2: I'm joking. I'm joking. No, I just think, Look he's available, and the same with like, yeah, there's you fall back, there's your winger, you've got grandfather, or when you've got someone who's played origin.
Speaker 1: Genuinely feel like Papenhausen once a year off the game at least. So my point, I want to bring up about the NRL News, John, and you'll be very cognizant of this. In Australia, there's a couple of big newspapers basically that cover rugby league, and ten to fifteen years ago, when the big hitting journalists went on their summer holidays, there'd be some junior staff writers that would want to make a name for themselves while they were away and would hunt for news and get some news. Now what we have is when those big writers have their summer holidays, nobody's really nobody's really hunting for things underneath. So we have a news issue because you know, whether we like it or not, our news cycles are still influenced by the legacy mastheads if you like. Now, what I have recommended for a few years to help this is an NROL trade window. So the only signing news we're getting at the minute is Billy Blogs, who's had more clubs than Tiger Woods, has now got another club and is moving to this place basically, and there's been no major signings because they get done in the year a year ahead of when they move. So I would love to see a trade window where no trades can happen until after the international season, so all trades have to happen between I don't know, November sixteen and February twenty eight, something like that. All year we can speculate about what's happening. I think the Daily Cherry Evans one was a perfect example. We all thought Daily Cherry Evans was going to the Roosters. Some journalists really pin their hat on that one, or stuck their hat on that one. Others did so we were genuinely. Somebody else a bit later even said that it might be off. The roosters might be bulking and then eventually they actually announced him and sent a picture. I mean, it lasted ten months and this is a perfect example of what the trade window could do.
Speaker 2: M I like, I like your idea. I like the idea of a trade wasn't it?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Yeah, make me make me in charge. What's Johnny's job this week? Do you remember last week you had? Last time you had two and you had Noel'll save this what I went? They do it?
Speaker 2: Now? I can't. I can't remember what I know.
Speaker 1: I knew you wouldn't.
Speaker 2: I've got a new I've got a new one. Just dealing with club officials and media managers, I've had a few funny interactions, really so I think there was one and I I went anyone specifically, but there was one where it was like, you know, don't how are you kind of report the club's news. You know that that's up for the club to do, which kind of just obviously don't understand the role of the media.
Speaker 1: And well, and then there's the.
Speaker 2: Other one who I've been trying to interview a new employee for probably about three and a half weeks and playing this kind of email tag game, which is now ended nowhere because the guy's on holiday for Christmas. What's the other one? Yeah, the other one I just had. Yeah, I think it was over a specific tweet that I made. I didn't like the criticism, which I then responded with explaining why the criticism was valid. But yeah, it's just it is funny. Particularly in the UK, I think there really is this sort of lack of understanding of what is the role of the media, or what the role what journalists are trying to do, what what what their job is. And obviously I understand like it's often you know, in competition or even combative with the clubs and with the sport. You know, they've got things that they don't want out there. You know, journalist are trying to break news, they're trying to write in interesting stories. It's not all negative. Sometimes it's quite positive. It's you know, you've signed this wonderful player, would like the profile, and they just they want to more and more. They want to have their exclusive on their website and their Twitter and have the first interview, and they just don't want to get out. Actually one one club was funny. It was like, oh, we've signed this guy from Australia and it's like I would be great to interview. He's like, well, he's not here for a few weeks and we'll let him get settled in. It's kind of like, well, I think they've got phones in Australia. I think they've got internet. You know this players a veteran, you know, I think you can probably handle a ten minute phone call with me. But this is where we're at. Lee, Well, just give me.
Speaker 1: A perfect example about DCE. I mean, the media were all over it for eight months, but the ruth is just delayed when they started when they announced it. But there the RUSS maintain control. Really different.
Speaker 2: The difference isle though the DC one. How did that kind of news effectively come out with d C. I DC made the decision to go on one hundred percent Footy himself without the club's knowledge. Basically, he knew his own value in his own voice, and he used it to shake the narrative and then mainly tried to shake their own narrative by ringing into Errol three sixty live offer. So that's that's clubs and players understanding the role and the power of the media at one point.
Speaker 1: One thing I think that's also happened too, and I see this a lot in Australia now and I definitely saw it in England. Is when a little bit of profile clubs people, people grow a few inches and they try and talk themselves up. So I find this a lot in the lower levels of the NRL and the lower levels of NRL clubs and NRL Land International Land. People like to pretend things are bigger than they are.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So for example, somebody who is the head trainer of an NROL club's development side, right will we'll talk to people. And when I say head trainer, don't mean head coach, I mean the yellow shirt person or whatever. They would talk to people and talk themselves up and talk up their role in society. Okay. So there's a desperation to act bigger than you technically are, and I've seen that quite a lot. At the same time, there's another side to that, and so with the people who earn a little bit more money out of the game, some of them actually start acting a little bit diva because they think, well, Jennifer Lopez can decide when she talks to BBC or not, or I'll just copy what Donald Trump does and blah blah blah. But there's a very big difference. Donald Trump gets out of bed and gets millions of comments about that. Just organically rugby league organically gets three fifths of Fanny Adams. So we have to generate interest and therefore we need to be accessible, walks and all. And that's what the game doesn't or it used to understand that. It used to understand that and did really well, and then we've completely lost lost all directions by all by all accounts. What you told me about the differences between the English and Australian rugby league players in the Test series was quite alarming really, that they had not received anything remotely like the same level of training or attention to listen, these guys are basically making you a bit more famous.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, And I think that probably comes down to media training and education as well. I'm not blaming individual players, because the vast majority of players are great to speak to, but I don't think they've probably been educated about the wealth, not the weld, sorry, the value or the role that the media plays and how you can use it to your benefit. I always remember chanting to add Terry O'Connor on a podcast interview during COVID, and he was saying how he got his TV job, was generally just chatting to journalists after training whatever, after games, being accessible. You know, the media manager had come around and say there might have been you come around and say, you know some and so needs someone to talk to you who wants to do it And most players have run a mile, but he'd always do it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there was always a new players and Terry was one of the easiest to And you.
Speaker 2: Build up, don't You build up relationships, you build confidence, to build up a profile, and it's win win on both sides. And yeah, it's not hard to understand. It's not a particularly different difficult concept. But in the UK in rugby league, it seems like a lot of people struggle with it.
Speaker 1: And when you build up relationship you can read relationships, you can do a little bit of you scratch my back and I'll scratch yours and then and then journalists will look after you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean that that is part of the game. That is yeah, that that's yeah. And look, there's no one it's very different perhaps the Austroam media, but in the UK rugby league me there's not really anyone who's gonna burn you or you know, absolutely smash you like you get in the NRL. It's just a very different different beasts. I think it's a lot fairer, and obviously there's a lot less coverage, and there's a lot less intense and there's less boots on the ground. But yeah, there's not really a lot for players to be afraid of in that way or clubs. But there's still a very protectionist attitude, and as long as that continues, then the game's never really going to grow and thrive.
Speaker 1: One player you don't have to know them, and one coach that's fallen out with you something about something, and you've just got to explain the something not with person like something that's just ridiculous, why they've fallen out with you. You have.
Speaker 2: I've not had too many in terms of actually players, I can't think of players here. I've had the occasional coach, but yeah, the vast majority of people I think are quite good to deal with.
Speaker 1: Well, there was there was one coach who took particularly attention to you because you were one of the first to say you probably should get sacked from his job. Oh yeah, not very good at it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean that that particular coach was As said about a sarcastic tweet that I posted, which I did try and explain but wasn't kind of willing to listen and understand. That's okay. Look you, I'm sure it's the same when you're coaching Lee and you're coaching against teams or you're coaching your own players, and sometimes you have disagreements, We fall out with people, that's all part of it. But I understand that I have no problem with that generally, And there's been lots of times I've done the wrong thing and I've put my hand up and apologized because we're all human and we all make mistakes. But the vast majority of people you can explain things and you know they know where you're coming from.
Speaker 1: But yeah, you're just an Australian prick in England, John.
Speaker 2: But I am enjoying the ashes.
Speaker 1: I am enjoying the Well, it's funny you mentioned that. Funny you mentioned that because Lee's laughed this week.
Speaker 2: The English.
Speaker 1: The Delightfully should Do said on Fox as Josh tongue was either batting and the head was bowling or vice versa. I said this quote, this could be a good battle between tongue and head. And then when head came on to bowl again, she said time for head again, quote unquote, and this is while she was down under. So this made me think what's happened in rugby league over the years in terms of a funny commentary. Can you think of anything anything off the top of the old, the old chromed dome.
Speaker 2: I can't think of specific commentary, but I do remember when you mentioned tongue. I do remember some great fan signs when Alan Tongue and Willie Mason. It was like, you know, our tongue's better than you or Billy or something Alan Toungu who played for the Raiders back in the day. But we're in a very PC world. I think. I think the ability for people, for some people to take a gakus is really actually just to segue back to the Jamie Peacock video, I think I wrote that he'd been putting a paddywagon and someone took offense at that, and someone with Irish heritage. But it was you know, it's twenty twenty five. Educate yourself. I didn't know that was such an offensive. Yeah, there's someone with Irish heritage. Maybe I should have beat myself up.
Speaker 1: Yes, I mean cricket's good for these things. Again, crickets a better known sport around the world than rugby league, so we should we should pay some attention. I mean, another one in cricket was quite famous was the bowlers holding the Batsman's Willie, which was Michael holding bowling to Peter Willie. Were you aware of that one?
Speaker 2: No one?
Speaker 1: And then there was another one on Test Match Special where Ian Botham in the early nineties was playing against the West Indies and he tried to play a hook shot or something similar, lost balance and his legs basically not with stump over and the commentator bass said both of them couldn't get his leg over. The place just fell into hysterics. Rugby league ones, there's a good one, Ray French. He got the words hooker and forward mixed off. This was early in his career and and somebody made a break and he goes, oh, we can run this Houcker A few a few others Rabs rabbits Warren did this on on purpose, no doubt. The the Gus Gould was trying to explain the escort rule to him and the term that had come up in rugby league and Rabs goals it's a long time since I've had an escort Gus Danga Naine. I don't know what years this was, but Newcastle sort of scrambled to score a try against Saint George and it sounded like he said Newcastle on the verge of fucking it up there, But he's later said that he said mucking it up. So that was this year.
Speaker 2: I watched that clip over ever again. He definitely sounds like he said right.
Speaker 1: I mean, I think the greatest British rugby league commentator in history was old mate from Castleford. Who I mean for those who don't know a lot of rugby league coverage, Morgan. Yeah, before before Sky really became involved, there was something called micro video and basically somebody used to go and bring a camera to a game and grab somebody. Your your friend Phil Kaplan was a big commentator on there. I know I commentated once with him when Sultan played leads. They were even letting me do it. They were just pulling in commentators from everywhere and this has gone back iral now or rugby league equivalent of viral. Was Morgan the whole I can't speak Bottless get Campbell. When when Kelvin Skarett took somebody's head off. He's done. He's done plenty. There's another clipper. I looked, he said that was forward that Campbell, you dickhead. Stevie Wonder could have seen that. So there's been a few. There's been a few in rugby league that are okay. One of the funniest I saw recently was the Kate abdoll of Kate Scott with Michael Richards, Jamie carry Ger and Tierry on Ree talking about breast FC in the in the league and I like the shape of breast and.
Speaker 2: Mica Richards has got one of those laughs. It's like Jonathan laugh It's quite infecious.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, So that's that's my that's my media watch for the week as well. So anything more we need to touch on John before I go into the analysis segment.
Speaker 2: No, I think I think that's it. That's fairly quiet. Time's obviously what we're more. Well, three more sleeps in this parlor world to Christmas, so hopefully everyone has a great Christmas.
Speaker 1: Going to come down your chimney and empty your sack.
Speaker 2: I'll let that go through to the keeper that one.
Speaker 1: Have you got a chimney?
Speaker 2: I don't have a chimney now, Actually you'll.
Speaker 1: You'll have to come in your back door. Then pet O'Neill pet O'Neill on X said which team would benefit most if Super League was to be ref like the NRL to clean and speed up the rock? Do you have an opinion on that, John, before I steal the limelight.
Speaker 2: Not really, I mean I think I think most to. I mean, obviously you've got players with more speed, but I think most team would be happy with quicker rock. I think they obviously want to slow rock when they're defending and want to quick rack when they have the balls. It's not rocket science, is it.
Speaker 1: Now?
Speaker 2: That's you know, it's the rock is the key the sport, isn't it. You've got to You've got to. You you can't really win a game without winning the rock and dominating the rock. So I think it would benefit most teams. Obviously, the fitter you are at, the more speed you have in your team, the better you can make use of it.
Speaker 1: The analysis video I'm doing this week, I'm using COOKR as an example. They they exit quite specifically, they tend to wrap across the field, and I talk about how when you move the ball across the field gradually, the defense has to ensure that it stays aligned equally on both sides of the play the ball. So, for example, if there's to play the ball in the middle of the field, thirteen defenders, two markers, one fallback, that'd been the be ten in the defensive line, play the ball in the center of the field, you have five on one side. On the other in your front line. And when a team like hoo KR or anybody works across the field gradually with their carriers either from the roock ll with halves getting involved to move it a little bit wider, a team has to shift laterally in defense and get their numbers right. And quite often defenses can get this wrong. And I'm showing on this analysis video that I'm going to play soon how there are opportunities that pop up on the field as a result. Now, in terms of the rook speed that the Pete O'Neill asked about, obviously the faster the rooks are, the teams that will benefit will be the teams that can play the better eyes up football, so to speak, who can look up and find space. And this is going to be one big challenge for who k are in the World Club Challenge because they tend to stick to structure in these areas when they're in their own half. Brisbane Broncoles tend to attack around about the halfway line, and there's a good reason for that. So when you're defending, So if you imagine you're in a defensive side, John, or viewers or listeners, imagine you're in a defensive side when the opposition are trying to exit out of their own try line. So ten meters twenty meters thirty meters out, obviously our defense is going to lift and do everything they can to keep them in that ten twenty or thirty meters, isn't it. We're going to be on red alert. We're going to try and keep them there. Quite often the referee gives a penalty and relieves everything. At the other end of the field. When you're close to conceding a try and you're close to your own tryline, you're going to be on red alert defensively because one slip up and you can see the try. In between those two areas, they have this no man's land, and this is quite often John, where teams have a little snooze in defense and players if they don't think the ball is coming on one side of the field, they'll just relax a little bit. They won't move up in a line, they won't be alert. And Brisbane Broncoles are a good side actually attacking in this area, staying in some form of shape, being alur and just looking for the space that exists. And then in this video I'm showing some of the space that can exist, John, So I hope you'll enjoy it with me and all the other viewers and listening. Before I go into the analysis video, please let me remind you of the Rugby League coach services and programs that are on offer for coaches and clubs all around the rugby league world. You can access what we have to offer right now by going to Rugby League Coach dot com dot au forward Slash Shop and you can get immediate access to the biggest rugby league coaching resource that is online in the world for yourself as a coach, or if you're at a club and you want to look after all your coaches, there's options there too. Our flagship program is the Coach Mentor Program and also the Club Coach Mentor Program. I'm a coach who's worked at anro clubs, World Cups and elite high schools in Australia and have done this for over a quarter of a century. The Coach Mentor Program is in its fourth year in twenty twenty six, and in the first three years we've had eight Grand Final wins, eleven of our teams with competition runners up, ninety two percent of our teams we're in the top four of their competition and there's been one hundred percent of improvement. And that's basically just the coaches that we mentored individually who who wanted the coach Mentor program themselves. It doesn't include all the clubs that we've helped. So to find everything you can on the Coach Mentor Program, please go to Rugby League Coach dot Combata forward slash Coach Mentor. As I said earlier, hule k Are in the White and Red have a very specific kind of exit strategy. They tend to move the ball across the field, So most teams at this point will tend to target the middle of the field and target forwards in the middle of the field. If you like hook are don't. What they do is move gradually across the field with one pass plays most of the time. So as you can see, j W H has taken the ball to what would be the middle of the field, and instead of going down the middle of the field, Uoky are keep going across the field. This is footage from the opening set of the Rugby League Challenge Cup final of twenty twenty five. Now what I want you to see here is the Warrington defense, how compressed it is and how short it is on the open side. If you like, they've loaded their defense up on the short side. And this is what I was talking to John about in terms of the five and five defensive system. Here it's six and three, which is fine, but it does look heavily sorry seven and three, my apologies. It does look heavily manned down the short side for something that is clearly coming open on the open side. And if you look at where the green grass and fresh air is, huok are have got that just under the BETF logo there now not for one minute am I suggesting in the first set of the game any team or even hook Ah should try and isolate that space. They should probably settle into a big game like this, but it's good to be aware of it, and it's good to understand what this kind of set can achieve. Let's have a look at some more and let's see if the same thing happens. This is the opening set of the superleag Grand Final, so a few months later. This is for the championship title as opposed to a knockout trophy. Jok are as I've said, and they'll do this in the World Club Challenge. I have no doubt they will work across the field. So again, this is an opportunity for them to go down the middle and just pound the middle of the field if you like. This is almost a carbon copy of what we saw in the last clip, isn't it. And look at the wig and defense there. It was still very short on the right side at the bottom of the screen as we looked, you can see there if this was later in the game, there's plenty of attacking opportunities for who k are because of the way they've moved the ball across the field gradually. Now Brisbobe Broncos are brilliant with this. So this is the area of the field I'm talking about, the middle, no man's land if you like, where defenders aren't on edge and worried about conceding points. You can tell by the body language of the wig and defenders there they weren't concerned about the ball going out wide and quite often defenders will have a snooze or they'll be left short. Another set from the Challenge Cup Final, a bit deeper into the game, and let's see if huk Are have some kind of attack on the back of this. So we're in fifteen minutes into the Challenge Cup. I would say they're a bit more central in their approach here and are getting across the field a little bit slower. That said, they have now reached the opposite scrum line from where they started. Let's see what the defense looks like. Let's see what they do. It goes to a chase, but once again the Warrington defense is short. Later in the game in the second half, once again hulkr are going to wrap across the field. They've got themselves to the opposite scrum line to the one that they started on and instead of looking at the space, they've just taken another carry. Now again everything's game situational, but one thing you will have noticed is Jez Litton getting excited there. And one thing that wrapping across the field like this does is it makes your defenders move laterally. So if we watch a cluster of Warrington defenders here, they will soon have to move up across or up our screen and then back to the betfread logo. And then the next player they'll move up and across and back to above the betfread logo. And it moves defenders laterally, and that gives opportunities for people like Jez Litton or other players like Mikey Lewis with good foot speed and good agility, a great opportunity to target defenders that have been worked over laterally. And I think this is I coach Willie Peters likes his team to move the ball across the field like this. So this is later in the game, seventy two minutes on the clock. Let's see what hok Are do on the back of this. They sneak down the short side. Now they're in a position where they need to try and find a try here, and I'm arguing they probably need to do a little bit more of this throughout the game against the Brisbane Broncos. Here's another screenshot from the Super League Grand Final. This happens all the time when you move the ball across the field, defenses struggle to number up and Brisbane a fantastic at at exploiting this. And basically hook ours defenders are going to have to be on red alert wherever they are on the field. Here hok are attack and I would say they've got a very big overlap there. If they were in better shape, they'd be able to exploit it, and instead they get caught with the ball in field and go back towards the middle of the field. So hook are need to be better at that, and this is something that all people in the game, in the community game can look for too. The Mackay Grand Final mckaye in Queensland, Australia, twenty twenty five. Brothers are in the blue and white. This is the opening set of the game. They move the ball gradually across the field. They've got an excellent pack Brothers, and they are clearly rolling across the field. Have a look at the Orange defenders and how short they are on their side of the ball. So anybody at any level of the game can can exploit this loophole by wrapping their sets across the field. The game seems to be obsessed with teams moving straight down the middle of the field to try and attack one half on one side or one half on the other side of the field to attack that way. But I'm saying that wrapping across the field can be a really, really positive way of setting up your exit. Thank you very much for watching this analysis video. Like I said earlier, please have a look at the Rugby League Coach services and programs at Rugby League coach dot com dot au. If you want some online programs, just tag the word shop on the end of that. If you want our coach mentor program for yourself or for your club, please tag on the words coach mentor or click on the coach Mentor tab when you are on the website. Have a fantastic Christmas and twenty twenty six