Speaker 1: Welcome to the Big Blue Insider. Dick Gabrielle with you on a Monday following Father's Day. I hope you had a great day. Hope you had a great weekend, especially you single moms out there. People forget about the single moms on Father's Day, but I had one myself, a single mom, so anyhow, I hope you had a good one. I got a chance to get with family because my wonderful daughter's birthday was yesterday as well, so we had a gathering on Saturday of the family, the granddaughters. We had a good time, and of course being Father's Day weekend, we got a chance to watch a little bit of the golf. I don't sit through the entire tournament. I'm a golf fan when it comes to the majors, but I don't watch every stroke of every tournament. But I did watch JJ spawn when the US opened at Oakmont Up in Pennsylvania. Typical US Open course, really difficult, And I heard an interview with Steve Sands at a golf channel prior to the tournament where he said that the greens for the tournament probably weren't as difficul as they are on a given week but they still look pretty tough to me. And you had in the rain, which became pouring rain at one point, So what a challenge, and what a great finish by JJ spawn a huge birdie putt. He only needed a two putt, but he drained one and I think was sixty four and a half sixty four, Yeah, sixty four and a half feet that rolled in there, And it was great. It was great TV, It was great drama. Then we come to find out that this gentleman had been up at three am because he had to go to the pharmacy to the store to get something for his daughter who had been throwing up. So he had a sick little girl and still came back and shook it all out of his head and rally. He wasn't the leader going into the last round, but he won the US Open, So I hope that was fun. Coming up tonight, we're going to talk to Jim Deopolis, who's a longtime friend and he's been on the show before, but now he is an inductee into the Kentucky Pro Football Hall of Fame, so he will go in alongside former Wildcat Danny Trevathan among others. Coming up at the end of this month. So Jim is a friend from way back when he was a grad student at UK. I was a referee, umpire official in the Inner Murals program and Jim was my boss. He did our scheduling and things like that. And from there he went on to be a high school referee, a college ref in the OVC, at the SEC and the National Football League, and even worked a Super Bowl. So now going into the Kentucky Pro Football Hall of Fame. And he's always been at these events. And I talked to somebody last year, so why isn't Jim Dappolis in the next thing? You know, I'm not saying because I said anything, but he certainly deserves it. Going in going to talk to John Hale of the Arow Leader about UK football, if it's merrow moving, how they're putting this team together these days, and we'll also talk football and UK women's basketball with Christy Thomas. Shankers are UK Radio Network pregame coverage along with Jeremy Jarman and Logan Stenberg. Season is right on top of it doesn't feel like it, but trust me, it is. It gets the summer gets shorter every year. I think we know this coming up next, we're going to talk about the College World Series. I know the Wildcats are not in it, although the state of Kentucky well represented with two teams in Omaha this year, Murray State and the University of Louisville. And I watched a lot of that over the last few days, and yesterday marked a great anniversary for UK baseball. We're going to relive that coming back. But I got to tell you, it's like anything when you get a chance to go to an event like the College World Series. Many of you have been to NC tournaments, to final fours, bowl games. They're fun and you want to go back. And yeah, I know I'm working these events, but it's still fun, and especially if it's for the first time, like the College World Series was for all of us last year. So we'll talk about that, we'll talk about some of the things that have gone on already in Omaha. But it's one of the great sporting events and I hope for all of our sakes, the program, the coach, the players, the fans of media, we get a chance to do it again. Say with us here on the Big bluon sider on six thirty WLAP. Welcome back to the big bluon Sider coming up in just a few minutes. Jim Deopolis, former NFL referee. He's a UK grad. When I was there, he was in grad school and he ran the officials for the intermural program. So I worked for Jim. How little did I know he would go on to work a Super Bowl as an NFL referee. He is going into the Kentucky Pro Football Hall of Fame coming up at the end of the month. So we'll talk to the ref in just a few minutes. But I did want to talk, of course about the College World Series, and I hope you had a great Father's Day yesterday. And Darren Hendrick posted are the radio voice of the baseball Wildcats, posted on social media reminding us that yesterday, a year ago, June fifteenth, a year ago, was the day Kentucky pulled off one of the great comebacks of last year's College World Series. Got a home run in the not bottom of the ninth inning and then a home run in the bottom of the tenth inning by Mitchell Daily to cap that come from behind when against North Carolina State. Here's a swinging of dribe today left Becos Nixon looking up.
Speaker 2: Daily wadens Daily Wins It Daily Wins It.
Speaker 3: Kentucky defeats at C State five to four on a walk off home run five Mitchell.
Speaker 1: Daily biggest home run in the history of the program. And it also was a game that included a two run homer by Nolan McCarthy, And I was watching some highlights somebody put up on social media as well from that game, and I had forgotten forgive me. But Kentucky had an outfielder named Ty Krittenberger last year. He had transferred in from Western Kentucky, played some early in the year and then kind of lost the starting job to Nolan McCarthy, became a pinch hitter, defensive specialist, and man they needed him because he made a huge catch, a diving, tumbling catch late in the game in centerfield to help preserve that win. And because he didn't get to play a lot, we didn't have much chance to talk about Krittenberger's background in the game notes. There were two Kentucky players last year on the roster who had relatives grandfathers. Well, I think one was a great grandfather. But Ty's grandfather was a well known general in the United States Army and was critical in World War Two, and in fact, I went back and re read his history and at one point General Dwight D. Eisenhower, the supreme Allied Commander for the impending Allied invasion of Normandy in nineteen forty four, selected Krittenberger, the UK centerfielder's grandfather, as one of three core commanders for the invasion. But Lieutenant General Omar Bradley, who was selected later as the first Army commander by IKE for the D Day invasion, replaced all three of the core commanders. Looking for it says here different differing temperaments and commanders who had more combat experience, but still Krittenberger if you just google him, go to wiki. He had an incredible career and again one of his offspring went on to play centerfield for the Wildcats, a team that played in the College World Series. Yesterday's games were crazy. They usually are crazy, good, crazy, weird. You've got Louisville down to Arizona three to one going into the late innings. They make it three to two, and then they explode for six runs in the eighth inning to the Cardinals, and they beat Arizona eight to three. Arizona started that inning with an error routine ground ball to short and they brought in their great relievers and Louisville just started hitting the ball. An Arizona outfielder makes a mistake with nobody out, and a Louisville kid hits a sinking line drive. He tries to make a circus catch and misses it, and it goes and stead as a single for a triple, which came back to haunt Arizona. Obviously, there was an overthrow at first base. The catcher backs it up, snags the baseball, tries to throw it back towards second base. The ball popped out of his hand and landed behind him, and the kid didn't even know it. So meanwhile, the Louisville base runners are circling the bag and this kid finally realizes they yell at him and the ball is sitting behind you. It's not in the middle of the infit. It was just bizarre. But what U of l fans watching at home might remember is during the break between the six and seventh innings, ESPN's cameras caught Louisville coach of Dan McDonald getting into his team. I mean, and if if you like coaches that yell at players, you had to like this. It went on for quite a while. Here's here's about fifteen seconds of it.
Speaker 3: Hardly you get a bath ball in, right, you better showing out when the ball is going in, Fayed, We're not waiting coming out.
Speaker 1: I bring this up because I like Dan McDonald. I know UK fans are never going to cheer for U L but I got to tell you this is a good guy. He's a heck of a coach. But Doug Flynn and I talked to opposing coaches before games whenever we do broadcasts, and it's always just a real joy to talk to him. He is a real gentleman. He's a great coach, and he and Doug are very close. Doug goes and speaks to the Louisville team every now and then, you know, not necessarily just as an FCA speaker, but as a guy a former big leaguer, you know, just so he see. There's the same thing with UK players. But I really enjoy always talking to Damn McDonald. I respect what he's done at Louisville, and yeah, this was And by the way, don't think for a mint and Nick Manjeones doesn't do that. I've never seen him do it in the middle of a game. I'm sure he has. He generally waits till the game's over before he really gets into his team. But it was just interesting that it happened on this stage. You know, the College World Series National TV is teamed down, et cetera, et cetera. So that was a really interesting moment, and, like I said, a bizarre game as Louisville comes back still in the loser's bracket and has to fight its way out of that. Cardinals next play Oregon State tomorrow at two o'clock. Today's games, there's one going on right now because of course we pre record. My apologies, I cannot tell you what's going on right now between Arkansas and Murray State, but I will tell you this. One of the great moments came after Murray State's loss to UCLA. Racers fell behind, made it a game late, they fall six to four on Saturday, and in the interview room after a young man named Dustin Mercer, who is a right fielder, and Murray's five to four win over Kentucky back in March, Mercer had an RBI single, but he was asked by a reporter about the fact that He's sitting up on stage at the podium behind the mix with a smile on his face, and was always seemed to be smiling even though his team lost, and he gave a great answer.
Speaker 4: I thought, you keep smiling.
Speaker 5: I know, obviously the results not what you wanted, but just kind of talk about, you know.
Speaker 3: The attitude kind of going into obviously Monday, which is the opportunity to be playing here.
Speaker 5: I mean, obviously it's baseball heaven here. I was talking about it yesterday, Like I walked around. I've never felt famous before until I got here. Those kids don't care whether I'm going to the big leagues or I'm done playing in two weeks. They just wanted to talk to me, and I think that's a really awesome experience. So I know he lost and that's things he really does, but keeping that kind of mental attitude of those kids are here to watch us, and I mean that's super cool. I mean, Skirk's son, he just loves watching us playball and they look up to us, And yeah, about the smiling, I'm done playing baseball in two weeks, no matter what. So I'm just trying to keep that on my face and enjoy the ride.
Speaker 1: I just thought that was great, And I guarantee you he wasn't saying I were just glad to be here, because they are, but that's not what they want. They played well in that UCLA game. He just gave up some runs early and fought back and had the time run to play more than once, but just couldn't quite pull it off. So they're playing it. They may be done by now, but just a great answer by that kid. And what great for me watching the College World Series And I've watched it more this year than I ever have, excluding last year when I was there, because I was there. And I don't know if that makes much sense to you, And I don't know if that affects you as you're watching nca Tournament games. If you've ever been to an NCAA Tournament game at a neutral site with Kentucky playing, or maybe you're watching UK play and you couldn't go that year, you know what it feels like to be there. And ESPN does a great job at the College World Series, more so than with Pro Ball, showing the crowd, showing the color shots, showing kids, exterior shots of the stadium, interior shots. They do such a great job of capturing the mood and the field and the color at that place. It's just a different vibe than it is at a pro game. And I've never covered a World series, a pro World Series, but Omaha, Charles Schwab Stadium to call it the Chuck. It's just a really great place and it's a great event. And I'm listening to this kid from Murray make this comment in an interview room where I was at this time last year, and in fact a year ago yesterday, I was sitting in there listening to the Kentucky kids talk about Mitchell Daily's home run, talking about Nicholson's home run to tide the game in the bottom of the ninth. I was there when Nick Manjione accepted the Coach of the Year trophy, So it means a little bit more. Not trying to pair it a the SEC, but it's just kind of cool if you've been there, and in the time we were all there the media, we got to know her every inch of that place. So now watching it, yeah, I wish we were all back there covering the game, watching Kentucky play. But maybe next year. SEC still has two teams, one in the winner's bracket, one in the loser's bracket. LSU beat Arkansas on Saturday, so that's why Arkansas playing Murray State in the loser's bracket. Tonight UCLA LSU at seven o'clock in the winner's bracket, and again tomorrow, Oregon State takes on Louisville. Beaver's eliminated last year in Lexington, but they're making a run this year. And Coastal Carolina plays Wednesday at two o'clock. Coastal has won twenty five straight games. The Chantaicleers are on fire, so if Murray State is out today, that's your Cinderella, even though it's not. Coastal has been to the World Series multiple times and actually won it back in twenty thirteen, So those guys play on Wednesday afternoon. Up next, Jim Dappolis, UK grad and retired NFL referee and now a Kentucky Pro Football Hall of Famer, want to come on the Big Moved Sider six thirty WLAP joining us now on our celebrity hodline as a guy I used to actually work for back in the day when I officiated games at UK and Jim Dappolis went on too much, Bigger and better things went on to work high school, college and then in the NFL on the field for eleven years, as an NFL referee supervisor for twelve and now is going in to the Kentucky NFL Pro Football Hall of Fame along with four other notables. Ref. I couldn't be happier. Congratulations, Well, thank you, Dick.
Speaker 3: It's really an awful, great experience. What I'm getting right here, as we've discussed, this is something that it's just so humbling to me to be inclusied with these individuals. You know, words just can't express how thankful I am for this.
Speaker 1: I see you every year. We talk quite a bit on the phone, but I always see you at this event, and uh, and yeah, it's such a great So many great people show up. If you were from Kentucky and played in the NFL, or you know, or if you spent a lot of time in Kentucky and played in the league, it's great. And you got a heck of a class going in. Danny Trevathan, Michael Bush, Walt Yurowski, and Sam Gruneisen who played at sant X back in the day and played pro football. You're keeping pretty good, pretty good company there, ref.
Speaker 3: You know, Jick when when I look at those guys and I'm thinking, God, how am I in a group of them? You know they're going to be showing highlight films of you know, Danny making tackles and Michael Bush running with a ball, and you know what am I going to be doing? You know, I haven't thrown a football or you know, they probably showed me getting knocked down or given a signal for something. But like I said, it is just so so humbling to be included with this group of individual, unbelievable football players in their own right and be included with them is just a it's so exciting for me.
Speaker 1: I don't think I've ever asked you this. Why did you become an official in the first place?
Speaker 3: Well, it was kind of interesting. You know, we were topfully for the same reason you did. You know, we were students at the university, uh, trying to pick up a little bit of extra cash. I I just did it to kind of, you know, kind of enjoy the opportunity and pick up some extra cash when I was a graduate student at UK, and you know, I set some goals. I listened to Tommy Bell gave a talk one time through the Central Kentucky Football Officials Association, and I set a goal to get in the NFL. That I ever think I was going to get here, absolutely not. I just you know, I was hoping that I would. I was hoping i'd work a championship game, you know, one of those games up at Saint x Or, you know, one of the high school championship games. But I got some breaks, and then in the Ohio Valley Conference, I kept pursuing it. I really wanted to do basketball. I really wanted to get in the NBA at basketball, but my breaks came in football, so it gave me an opportunity. I got some great opportunities, so hey, I pursued it and very fortunate to end up where I did.
Speaker 1: So did you start with a khsaai zoom?
Speaker 3: Yeah? Oh yeah, absolutely Well even before that, I was working for the IBM club. An individual named Pete Owens gave me an opportunity to officiate some you know, flag football all games that they had over the IBM, which were probably the toughest games I've ever infistiated with those guys, But you know I did. I started with a K say, working junior high school games around the state. Go over to Jetsamane County and work, you know, five games on a Sunday afternoon. You know, it just took a lot of time. As you remember when you were doing your fat you know, you get to get there. But you know, it was a great way to get some additional income. I didn't want to have to sack groceries as at Kroger's on weekend, So just gave me an opportunity to pick up some money and pursue something that I really enjoyed.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and the thing people don't understand about KJSA officials to this days are not paid nearly enough. And you guys, I don't know how much traveling you mentioned going over to Jessmon County, but I've talked to guys in election and who have had it. On a Friday afternoon, take off and drive up into the mountains or or head. I mean, you know, you put a lot of miles in your car.
Speaker 3: Don't you let me tell you I did games up in Whiteburg, get Lynch, and you know, I think one day we had a game in Lynch and they had a de snake the locker room before we went in there. You know, I had some great stories of my opportunities worked there. You know, I worked with Bobby Flynn, who you know, the former senator. We were on a crew together with Carl Elevation, John Clark, and Gary Paxson, and these are guys that were so that mentored me when I first started. Gave me the opportunity, and I'm so thankful that I had that opportunity. But I started doing it and I just fell in love with Talking to.
Speaker 1: Jim d'opoulos, who is a member of the twenty twenty five class the Kentucky Pro Football Hall of Fame, will be honored at the end of this month, and we're talking about his career which started when he was a student in UK and worked his way through the OVC where it was it tough to get in. I mean where they need great officials now need officials period. Now, what was it like back then when you were trying to move.
Speaker 3: Up, Well, it was difficult. You know, you need to do spend a lot of time working scrimmages.
Speaker 5: Uh.
Speaker 3: You know, I had the opportunity, uh to work with individuals in Lexington and they would bring you to scrimmages. I'd go down over to Georgetown to work with scrimmage, I'd uh, then I would go to Eastern and Western and work scrimmages. And then I you know, you finally get a break and somebody sees you, and you know, you get that opportunity, so you know, and then you just start making your application and hopefully I know that if it hadn't been for Frank firsty, I probably would have never get the cell piece of conference because Fran was very instrumental in my getting in there. But it was every afternoon going over to Kentucky practices and working and putting my time in there. And it's a it's a time thing.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 3: Too often now, too many individuals, you know, they expect to, you know, sign up to work football and they want to work the state championship the first game, the first year. But it just takes time. It's like anything else. And you know, if you take your time, you know, pay you dues. It. Really it's a great it's a great opportunity for so many individuals.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, and and working those scrimmages. People don't understand. And then we'll talk about this more a little bit later on about that. You know, you guys are held accountable, but those scrimmages are basically your practice session just as much as the players. Right.
Speaker 3: Oh, absolutely, that's that's where you learned. You know, it's the repetition. The thing about officiating is, you know, you can learn the rules and you can do all this this to learn about the game, but it's watching situations occur, watching how they how they handle holding, watching how they handle catches on the sideline. It's the repetition which really kind of helps you develop it into a great official.
Speaker 1: You were an umpire in the NFL? Were you an umpire? A great deal? And that's the guy who stands behind the line of scrimmage. Uh did you do that a lot as you were coming up?
Speaker 3: You know, I when I was coming up, it's kind of funny. You know I would have I would have worked on the sideline. I would have carried the water bottles to the officials, you know, get that opportunity. But you know, I I learned all the positions. I tried to learn all the positions and understand it. I even refereed a few games and uh, you know at the KHSAA back to the Central Kentucky Football Officials Association. But you know I had the opportunity to work different positions. I worked in the When I first got in the Southeastern Conference, you know, I was an umpire, and then I worked downfield. Uh, the NFL took me in as a deep official, and then I said, well, I'm never going to be an umpire again because I don't want to go in there with you know, with those guys that get killed. But my one of the officials that hurt. I was refereeing the do Dolphins and the Buffalo Bills, and I made I think I made three holding calls and I threw Brian Cox out of the games fighting, and and my boss called me on Monday and he says, you're an umpire next year.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 3: I said, okay, send me the NFL Europe. Give me a little season of training. But you know, my first year I worked as an umpire in the NFL. I loved it in there. And then my second year I refread the Super Bowl.
Speaker 1: Golly, and when you worked NFL Europe, pat of that? Where did you have to fly back and forth? Did you stay in Europe throughout the season or how did that go?
Speaker 3: Well? What they did was when I was on the field in Europe, you'd go over You fly over on a Wednesday, and then you'd referee a game on Saturday, and then you'd probably start you'd start off and in London and then basically what you would do, you'd via there for a few days and then you'd go to Germany, maybe Berlin or Douseldorf or something, and in ten days over there at a time, work a couple of games and then back and forth. You do that. You know, you work maybe four or five games over there.
Speaker 1: Did you get a chance to do any sight seeing or anything? Was it fun?
Speaker 3: Oh? God, absolutely absolutely. And you know when I was in charge, When I was a supervisor, my one of my main responsibilities was NFL Europe. So I would go I would go over five or six times a season and spend time with the cruise. I would hire European officials. I would hire some college officials and some NFL officials. It would put them together and would work them and it would go over there. And the thing that was really interesting about it, Dick, was that we would go over there and you know, they can officiated, we could work for them. We wanted to see how they were hanging out, you know, for a week over there, you know, kind of you know, it became a family and does he fit in with the group. Do you want to spend You spend a lot of time with your your actual your crewmates, so you know, do you want to spend time with this guy. So that was what we kind of did over there. But yeah, it was a it was a great It was a developmental league. It was the best league that they had. It was great for NFL.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 3: You know, they would use it as a developmental program for the officials, the announcers uh Fox uh and especially Fox. We'd bring their young guys over there and teach them how to be announcers. Players were over there as a developmental league. So it was a great league, but it was costing the league a little money, so they decided to cancel after about ten years.
Speaker 1: He is Jim Dappolis. He is one of the newest members of the twenty twenty five Kentucky Pro Football Hall of Fame. And we'll come back and talk more with the ref in just a minute. On six thirty w l a P. Welcome back. We're talking with Jim Daopolis. He has been inducted into the Kentucky Pro Football Hall of Fame and the event, The Purple Jacket Dinner is later this month. There's a lot of festivities, but that's that's the big deal, and Jim has always been there as a supporter and now is going to be honored that night. Although it's sold out, Jim, I don't know if they're going to be able to fit anybody else in there, but it should be a lot of fun going in with Danny Trevathan, the former Wildcat, Michael Bush, the former Louisville cardinal, Walt Uarski who played at UK, and Sam grenaison from Louisville. But Jim, of course going in as are have you mentioned Tommy Bell? He became something of a local celebrity. How much did he influence you, if at all? I got to think he did well.
Speaker 3: I can tell you. You know, Initially I was at a meeting for the Central Kentucky Football Officials Association and Tommy was there, and Tommy gave us a talk. I talked about officiating in the commitment and doing all the things that you need to do to become an official. And it was that night that I sat there and I went home and I said to my wife, you know, I'm gonna I'm going to really pursue this NFL officiating and I'm going to see if I can get to the NFL. And as I said earlier, I never thought I would get there. I really didn't. But I talked to Tommy a lot, and when I was in the SEC, I had the opportunity to go to the NFL. And I actually spoke to Tommy prior to his passing and uh, you know, I said, I love the SEC. I was working great games, I had a full schedule, and he said, Jim, as an attorney, I'm going to tell you how I equated it. You know, do you want to work in front of the Appella Court or do you want to work at the Supreme Court and that, and that's pretty much kind of kind of sold it for me. And you know, I just felt so fortunate to, you know, have him there to be a mentor and let me ask some questions about it. And you know, he he was inducted into the Kentucky Coat Football Hall of Fame a number of years back, and I was very fortunate to give his induction speech, and you know, I was so proud to be able to do that and respected him so much, as you know, he refereated a number of Super Bowls and he was one of the most visual referees that they ever had in the NFL. People who he was.
Speaker 1: I remember his last year, Correct me if I'm wrong. We all thought he'd get to work the Super Bowl. But they needed him his strong hand because apparently the AFC Championship game was going to be a real Donnie Brook if you will, and they really needed a firm hand there. And so they said, Tommy, sorry, but you know it's not going to be the super Bowl for you. It's going to be this game because that's where we need you. That says a lot about.
Speaker 3: Him, it sure does. And you know, a very close friend of mine and one of my mentors, Mik McNally, who was the only official who has been inducted to the Canton the Hall of Fame, and Andre Art was the supervisor and kind of the godfather of of officiating, and he said to me, he told me how much respect they had for Tommy and and just Tommy's manner out there. You know, I think I heard I heard his son Bruce said, Tommy used to say, you know, uh, on the during the week. You know, I'm a lawyer, but on the weekend, I am the law and that's that's who he is. That's who he was, you know he was. He was so unique at such a great individual.
Speaker 1: Jim and I in the past have talked about replay and how things have affected the NFL and all, and well, we may talk about that some other time. But what I did. I've only got a few minutes left, but one of my and naturally, having been an official, never not nearly as accomplished as you. But I am quite sympathetic as a media person, and I kind of twinge when I hear people say, you know, we need full time referees, and I always tell them, Look, if you knew the hours these guys put in away from the game, looking at video and talking to each other and meeting, it's basically like these guys are already full time when it comes to the hours they work and the scrimmages and things like that. Am I right that?
Speaker 3: You know? That's exactly right, Dick. You know, you know the thing about officiating, You know, so many people have this perception that you know that we get to the game on Sunday morning, we come out from the stands referee, the game and go home that Sunday night. And it's not like that. It's a seven day a week job. You get a couple of months off in the summer or in the fall if you I mean, I'm sorry, not the ball, but in the springtime if you want. But guys work right through the year. I mean, if you're not doing studying talking to someone every day. The best you know who the better officials are. They're the ones that spend the most time working this. It is not a part time job. It's a full time job. They finally, you know, they are compensated now accordingly. You know, it was a long time. You know, they say, well, you're only working games on Sunday. Well, I think the league has finally discovered that, you know, they need these individuals working, you know, and studying. So yeah, it's a it's a full time profession now, uh, and they do very well with it.
Speaker 1: People, especially here in Lexion, in a college town, as you know, uh, firmly believe there are people out there that you guys and officials are not held accountable. And again I try to say, look, I've known officials who are simply not invited back, which means their contracts weren't renewed or whatever. They don't make a huge deal about firing people. But if you're not good enough, they leave you behind and move on, don't they.
Speaker 3: That's exactly it. You know, you're graded on every every game, and they and the officials that work in the playoffs, you know, great out higher than the ones that you know that aren't working. You know, and they don't they don't advertise or they don't publicize hiring, nor do they publicize firings. You know, it's all kind of kept in house. But if an official is not doing the job, if he's not working in the playoffs, you know, he's not going to be rehired. And you know, it's a situation now, you know, you get hired by the NFL as a as an official, you know, it's almost like you hit the lottery. It's a it's a it's a it's a great situation. You know, great benefits, the great compensation and great retirement. So it's not a bad situation. But you've got to do the job. And if you don't do the job, you will be replaced.
Speaker 1: And you know what you just described the life of a player. You know, great money, great retire, great benefits, all this, but if you're not good enough, you get cut and they move on.
Speaker 3: And there's always somebody there waiting to take your plate, exactly, always somebody there.
Speaker 5: Ye.
Speaker 1: Well, before I let you go, I got to ask you this. Now. I'm sure at some point you work baseball somewhere. You probably work softball at UK when you were a grad student. All but they the pro umpires, Major leagu umpires. And again, my brother's been an umpire for fifty years. He's in the Coaches Hall of Fame as an umpire. I did it very sympathetic, but the way they call balls and strikes now is just out of control. And now they're talking about using robots, and you know, everybody has an opinion on that. But as a guy who has been a professional, either a supervisor or on field official, what are your thoughts on on that? And again, I don't you know, I don't want you to pile on to guys in another sport, but how does that sit with you as a guy who was a professional official.
Speaker 3: Well, when I got into the NFL and they had replay, you know, I feel that replay is a great tool for officials at every level. I think correct correctable areas, and that's what you want to do. You want to be as corrected and as perfect as possible. I think what they have done, and my feeling is is it's been overdone. I think a lot of officials have kind of lost their uh their guts to make calls. They're more concerned with getting you know that, well, we'll go to replay, Let replay, refix it, let replay do that. I think you've got to have confidence in the individuals that are working out there, but you have to have confidence in yourself as an official. And I think they used it too much as a as a crutch rather than you know, using it to correct those errors. They almost hit to a point, especially in football, where they want to officiate the game from instant replay, which I think is a big mistake. But you know, people expect NFL officials to be perfect. You know, they don't expect bank baseball guys to make everything correct, basketball officials, et cetera. But they expect football officials to get everything right, and it's not going to happen. They make mistakes out there, and uh, you know, I like the tool. I like to replay tool. The one thing I always would like to have done in my life was get behind the plate and call balls and strikes in a makes the League game. I have so much respect for those guys. I don't even know how they determine what is the ball and what is a strike? I mean the way that comes, you know. But it's like everything else, as you said earlier, it's the repetition, you know, when you're looking at thousands of them, thousands of them every year called, then you know, you know, everything flows down and makes it easier. But you know, I like replay, and I think people expect replay, but I think it all comes out. People really want everything correct, and it's just not going to happen.
Speaker 1: No, but robots behind the plate maybe maybe on the way because they are not calling balls and strikes as well as maybe they should. But and these guys have seen, like you said, thousands and thousands. But that's a topic for another night. We could talk about it all evening. I'm so happy for you, congratulations, looking forward to seeing you at the end of the month and seeing you in your purple jacket.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well, I appreciate it, Dick. I've you know, I've appreciated our relationship. We've known each other for a long time and we've had a lot of good talks together. And you know that I'm always available and look forward to seeing you at the Purple Jacket Affair this year.
Speaker 1: Sounds good. Ref have a good one.
Speaker 6: Take care, Dick.
Speaker 1: Thank you up. Next now we number two with John Hale of the Herald Leader and Christy Thomas or the UK Sports Network. We will talk a lot of Kentucky football next time. Six thirty wlap.
Speaker 4: Taken backed tact.
Speaker 1: Welcome back to the Big Blue and sider joining us now as a guy you know from his coverage of UK football for the Herold Leader in Kentucky dot com. Mister John Hale, John, a good Father's Day weekend, I trust.
Speaker 7: Yeah, absolutely. It's always good to take a little breather. Made sure to get plenty of football news and for us last week beforehand.
Speaker 1: But there was a lot of news and let us start with the headliner, which was of course Vince Merrow. And I had your colleague John Clay, who of course made a headline of his own last week by announcing his retirement. And I asked him if he was surprised, and he said, well, John Hale has been hearing some rumors about this for a while. Had you been hearing stuff like that?
Speaker 7: Yeah, it had been about three weeks since I first heard the rumor this was in the works. It was that week of the SEC meetings in Destin, because the way it was initially phrased to me was, hey, you see where like the source of the events is going to go to Mark later this week and lay out this opportunity of like kind of give them one last one, last chance to you to counter or whatever. And of course we've seen this play out so many times of Vince Marrow in the back of my mind and you know, okay, this is just another another thing that's going to end with a new contract or a new title or something like that, and read the end of it. And then that weekend came and it was like, well, they didn't talk today, They're going to talk next week. And then the next week it came and still heard nothing. And so by the end of that week I was like, I'm assuming this is not happening. And then the Sunday before it came out, I got a text that night that said it's a done deal as long as Ben doesn't back out at all. Whow, I well, that still leaves a fair amount of grace. This maybe he goes to Mark and they have that final conversation and everything gets worked out. And then the next afternoon, that Monday, I was trying to track stuff down and had not heard back from anybody in the ESPN report comes out as well, it's actually happening.
Speaker 6: So I was.
Speaker 7: I was surprised to see it actually get over the line, even after hearing the rumor for so long. But I had at least gotten a little bit of a heads up that it was possible.
Speaker 1: Were you And again, like you said, you had to ask yourself. It's just just another you know, And kudos to Vinz forgetting offers. I mean, you know, good people. That happens. But it seems like those balloons were floated over and over again. But when it all settled into place. How surprised were you if at all?
Speaker 6: Yeah?
Speaker 7: I mean I was, because, like you just look at it and you say, you know, he's had these opportunits before to leave and has never done it. Is he really going to leave his childhood friend to not only go to another job, but go to the arch rival where he's going to be like, you know, roster management, and I had heard the title. The position was not a position to go to. It was kind of a general manager, you know, assistant associated ad kind of position. And that's like he was going to be in the roster manager part, which means like his whole job is going to be recruiting at Kentucky. That's that's a huge portion of it, Like he's actually going to do that. And especially when it was dragging out the way it was, when I was hearing behind the scenes, I was like, Okay, he's getting cold feet. He's not going to end up doing this. So to see it actually come through, yeah, I was surprised. I mean, and his comments you know, over the last week publicly when he's talked, we still haven't really heard from Mark Stoops other a statement they put out that relationship is very, very interesting, and it seems like Vince is trying to have it both ways where he wants Kentucky fans still love him and not being mad at him. I don't think that's realist stick in anyway. But it's going to be fascinating to watch moving forward. What's this means? You know, as as he goes out and recruits against Kentucky, and he's not been shy about poking all over the years and having done with the rivalry and how they're fans embracing him. Let's face at Kentucky's recruiting has not been very good the last couple of seasons. Their roster man has not been great with the results on the field. So can he get better results at Louisill was the philosophy change at Kentucky that kind of led him to make this decision? Is that going to work? Is that going to pay off? I wish Mark Stoops would have come out last week and done some interviews, but I guess the next time we're going to hear from his SEC media day, Yeah, in Atlanta in July, and that's that's going to be all we want to talk about.
Speaker 1: Well, and the other biggest question is, and at this end of the interstate it's the biggest question is now, you know, how will this affect Kentucky's roster management? Will there be a significant change in the way things are done? Because you're right, of late, it has not been and Stoops his I didn't met it as much.
Speaker 7: Yeah, that to me is the most interesting part because I think the change has already happened, and I think that's directly why Vince left, because even when I had heard that the rumor that like he might be leaving, he was going to be bark one last time, it was specifically to me, it's not about money, Like my understanding is, his salary at level was pretty much exactly the same as his salary here, So it wasn't only more money, but he wanted that power back in the recruiting process where he basically had final say over every player they pursued, and Mark has not approached it that way, especially over the last off season, probably the last year. In generally, you look at that that transfer portal class they put together over the winner and we'll see how it plays out. I mean, I don't think anybody can tell you for sure whether it's a good class or a bad class or whatever, but it's a very different class. So often before, so many of their transfer targets where guys that Vince had recruited out of high school and they you know, went to Ohio State or Tollabama or wherever, and they didn't get and then it came back. It worked with Wandell Robinson, although Wandell Sai didn't come here. If Lamponen's not the offensive court, it did not work with a bunch of other guys. You know, maybe Chip train and ends up being good last year if he's not hurt, but he was hurt, and then even after he was healthy, he wasn't really a part of the offense. So they clearly made a philosophy change in the transfer class to not do that anymore. And they had given each of their position coaches more power to decide who they recruit at their positions and ice in the high school classes. Obviously their twenty six high school classes gotten off to a really really slow start. I think they're up to three commitments finally, but don't had one going into June, which is kind of unheard of, And so that part of it had already changed. And Vince wanted that power, you know, to kind of have final say back, and Mark had not given it to him. So maybe that plays out. That's why I'm kind of surprised that she has not been more out in front of this, because I think you could have made a very compelling case to come out and say, hey, the results haven't been good enough. The last couple of years. I have to put the program first. So we made these changes. And you know, Vince is my friend, but he has to do what's best for him. And if he doesn't agree with the changes, you know, good luck to him somewhere else. And you maybe could have even won some battle that you've been struggling to win this summer with fans who want you to make changes. But they didn't do that, and they've kind of just had to be reactive to the whole situation, which is I'm sure frustrating for fans, but I do think they legitimately had already made changes in their recruiting approach, which kind of led to this now the questions whether those changes work or not.
Speaker 1: And now it's going to be really interesting to see what happens when these programs, as they often do, go after the same kid, you know, because I remember when when I'm a little bit older than you are, but when Rick Batino got here, he was throwing all kinds of flowers at Denny Crumb until they clashed over a recruit and then it got really sour. So I'm curious about that, you know.
Speaker 7: Yeah, And like that's a fascinating part of this too. Because obviously Jeff Brohm has been so good recruiting in the city of World in particular dating back to his days at Purdue in Western Kentucky to a lesser extent before that, But we had made such a big deal. He was the twenty nineteen class when Vince went into Louisville and took over recruiting there and had such success and got all these four four star guys from Woisill with five star guy in one case, and we made such a deal by it. But when you look back in hindsight, none of those guys really panned out. JJ Weewer was the only guy they got in Louisill in that stretch who was even a starter. The rest of them all left before their eligibility was up, and JJ's career didn't really pan out the way that we thought it was early in his career because the injuries and so like that really didn't work. They're in state recruiting. The last two or three years, they have not gotten star players from in state, and that's not Vince's fault necessarily. They got the best players in the state just kind of whoo who was available in those years, but there in state recruiting in this current class, Woisill was already cleaning up, or they got vents. Maybe that was a philosophy change because they hadn't worked recently. They do have young guys in their you know, freshmen coming into freshman year this year, their second year on campus from both Kentucky and Ohio that Vn's recruited who maybe turned into stars. But those pipe ones had not been nearly as successful the last couple of years as they were for most of Fence's tenure here. And so that's interesting to see. Are they is that because they were getting different players, they weren't getting as good players. Is the talent just dried up? But my understanding is the high school class in Kentucky, the junior class now is like one of the best in the state in a long time. Like that's going to be a huge deal with Wolwill gets all those guys in Kentucky does. But they also have to pan out, which has not been the case recently.
Speaker 1: Well that's what I wondered about the last few classes. You know, how many kids from the city of Louisville have become productive D one players any idea?
Speaker 7: I mean, not a ton because Kentucky was getting all the highest ranked guys in those classes, and it wasn't like they were just getting the best of what was available, like they were legitimately in the one class with j Ju Weaver and Jared Casey and T. K. Krums and like Shaun Kell Night Golf. I mean there was like four or five four star recruits in that class based on all of the Cree one so and just none of them really panned out. And so that you know, maybe the recruia websites were wrong. Maybe something else happened. Maybe in this constant era of constant you know, roster turnover, they didn't stay around long enough to developed somewhere. I don't know, but like that part of it has not. It just never paid out the way that we hyped it up on signing day. So it will be fascinating to see if Louisville has more success with those guys, assuming they're getting the down Kentucky's not.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And I remember Ted J. CRuMs was supposed to be the answer, right and it just you know, along with the other guys. And I'm not knocking a kid, but just here it just didn't pan out. He is John Hale other Hair of Leader covers Kentucky Football, and we'll come back and talk more with John on the other side of the break here on six thirty WLAP Welcome back, We're talking with John Hale, beat writer for The Hero of Leader covers Kentucky football, among other things. One of the other bits of news about assistant coaches was an extension of the contract for Eric Woolford, who coaches the offensive line, which has been one of the most highly criticized lment of this team over the last two or three years. Did that surprise you, John, or did you hear about a job offer or you know, how did that go to?
Speaker 7: Yeah? Yeah, that's another one where I think they need to do a better job of coming out publicly and explaining what's going on. Like I have a fair amount of sympathy from Mark Stops this offseason in terms of public messaging, because the people who are out and think that the ship is sinking, nothing you say over the offseason is going to change their mind right to go out and win games. So I understand that part of it, But there are still casual fans who are giving you the benefit of the doubt and maybe aren't on Twitter all day long or whatever. Those fans like Vince Merrill leaving the Woolford extension like that, those are the kind of news that resonates to those fans, and you got to explain a little bit more. I am assuming I have not been told this. I haven't got it confirmed. I just don't see a scenario where they give Aeric Quill for an extension or any assistant an extension this offseason without some other school trying to hire them. So my assumption is somebody tried to hire him, and regardless of the results last year, they think he's a really good recruiter. They clearly gave him full autonomy to rebuild this offensive line the portal over the winter. They apparently like what he did there, and so they've kind of made their bed there in terms of, like, if we're going to get this fixed, it's going to be air Wolford who does it. And so at that point, if you believe in him that much, you can't you can't really have another offensive flying coach turned over and start from scratching in the summer. So you've got to do what you can to keep them. And so if it took an extension and one hundred thousand dollars Rays to keep them from whatever school came and pursued him. That's the decision you made. Maybe it's the wrong decision in the long run, but I understand why they would do that. But they need to come out and tell us that. So, I mean, like, come out and explain what's going on there and maybe people will understand a little more. I actually don't. I mean, one hundred thousand dollar Rays, I know he's gotten a lot of attension. I wouldn't read too much into that at all. That's just how these contracts work. When you give a guy an extension, the salary goes up by about that amount every time. So that's is what it is. The extra year is more interesting because they have I think five assistant coaches who are only signed through next season, and normally they don't let those contracts get down to the final year unless there's obvious like maybe this guy's not good enough, not going to come back, and like Brad White's only got one more year left, and Chris Collins, who they've promoted the convincesquarrias you only got one more year. Normally we would see those guys getting extended by Nail, and the fact they haven't done that seems to be a clear reflection of where the program is right now. And so since they've made the exception with Wolford, that's got to be because somebody came and tried to get him. Know, let's hear a about why that happened.
Speaker 1: Now, in a situation like this, where you know, this is such a critical year following such a disappointing year, really a span of three but ultimately you know, four and eight, you know, you've got to think stability is key, so you know, get these guys taken care of. But on the other hand, you've got the house settlement to deal with, You've got all kinds of budgetary challenges coming up. You wonder if that's all part of the pie.
Speaker 7: You know, yeah, absolutely, I mean that was the other news about last week is what their revenue sharing. They're going to operate at a deficit the next two years, which we know the Kentucky's Athletic Department has been financially independent for almost twenty years now at this point, so like that is a new thing. They're taking a loan from the university to cover that, and then an additional one hundred and ten million dollars loan from university to finance these facility improvements at Kroger Field. Like all of that speaks to a finances are a big deal, but also be like they have to find a new way to get revenue and control expenses. And the fact that all of these first this first wave of facility announcements they did are all at Kroger Field tells you that football is really really important to making that work. Like they have to be able to make the revenue off these new luxury suites at football whatever this entertainment district outside the stadium ends up looking like they have to get revenue from that to survive or to at least thrive in this new environment where you're going to spend twenty and a half million dollars every year in revenue sharing, and so part of that is definitely controlling expenses. But they have not laid people, They have not cut salaries and ask coaches to get money back like we've seen at other schools. Like they are spending money to make money and it's almost all on football right now, so that's they got to get better results too.
Speaker 1: They haven't cut sports yet either. I mean, other other universities are doing a way with the so called minor sports, non revenue sports, and that's that's going to be happening more and more, isn't it.
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 7: Absolutely, And Mitch martinheart his like mine, heeps say, is like we want to keep our family whole. It's the same thing he did during COVID when we were seeing layoffs and cuts everywhere else. Like, that's very important to him. To his credit, I you know, give him a lot of appross for that, because you know, those people who come to school to play soccer and whatever else, like it's important to them and I understand why you do it. But the finances are what they ought at some point, and to make this work, they're going to have to find a way to generate more revenue, which is the hope with these luxury suites and some other things. And that depends on football being good enough to sell the tickets.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, the champions blueboard that will oversee UK athletics. Do you know about it? And how do you feel about that? Yeah?
Speaker 7: It's interesting. I mean I still keep there's got to be more to the whole LC thing than we have figured out yet, because to me, it just seems a little bit like just shuffling things around behind the scenes for some reason that I had yet to see. They keep saying more flexibility and get out of some university like red tape that maybe was holding them back. But we have not seen an example yet of something they can do with this board, with this setup that they couldn't do previously. Like even the facilities the announced last week still voted on them the same way they did before, still got the loan from the university that they would have needed otherwise, the one accepted. That might be the board. They want to bring in people with outside expertise and pro sports that can consult and advise them on how to do this. And the three people they announced Jacob Tanney, and we know has this illustrious history both playing in Kentucky, playing in the NFL, and now is a guy who advises professional athletes on their money, so that's an important part of it. Shannon Arvin, the president's CEO Hngland, has been there while Keenland is undergoing their biggest renovation since the track open in terms of building some new seating and restaurants and the new paddock, like that's going to be helpful for them. And the third guy, Chris sitting in Prindeville, was an executive that Fanatics recently, was very involved in that nil space and their college licensing program. We're in a licensing company before the Kentucky was a client of, so he clearly has expertise in that space. It will be fascinating to go to these meetings and see like how active those three members of the of the board are and how much say they actually have. You know, I assume it's not just going to be window dressing where you put them on the board to get a headline and then they don't actually do anything right. I still don't think we have a lot of a lot of information yet about how that's going to actually work and what they're going to do. And the next year, my understanding, is going to be kind of a transition period where they're figuring that out themselves. But they're going to start meeting soon and we'll find out well, and.
Speaker 1: The season is going to be on top of us before we know. We've talked before about how vital this one is, and I've talked to more than one person about the fact that Toledo the opener is the typical It's going to be the typical MAC team that comes in here thinking it can win, planning on winning, not just coming down to pick up a check, you know.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I mean they got a bunch of people coming back, and they beat two Power five teams last year. Yeah, I mean, so they have full confidence that they can come win this game. And Kentucky absolutely is not in a position where they can overlook that team, especially with so many new players, like over half the roster will be playing for Kentucky for the first.
Speaker 3: Time this fall.
Speaker 7: Have no idea what to expect from that. There will certainly I think even if they're if they exceed expectations, there will be some growing things as they figure it out. And having that game week one is a perfect trap scenario where if something doesn't go right, so they have to be locked in immediately, because losing to Toledo is I think a realistic possibility, but also like an absolute worst case scenario in terms of getting people to buy in and get in any sort of positive vibes, it would be as aspect.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because you got old miss next and I don't even know what they're going to be like, but they will be an SEC team. You know, they'll come in with the bigger, faster, stronger guys and I'll let you go with this, John, This is fascinating to me this period right now, because you know, receivers and running backs and quarterbacks they can go out and throw the ball around all they want. How do linemen improve, you know, other than the weight room? How do they improve as a unit on their own, you know, because they can't always be under the coach's supervision. If there's a way to do it, I'd love to know about it.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I mean, I assume they're trying to work on that cohesion, which is going to be really important, and it was good they got all those guys in for spring to do some of that. But I mean, the weight room is huge for this group in particular, and we already heard it at the end of spring, which I think could be a little bit of a red flag. But also it's just kind of reality when you recruit a bunch of transfers from group of five schools underline, which they did. All those guys are experienced, they played a ton of college football. The one exception joshua' bron the left guard from Arkansas, so he said that he's played at this level. The folks, your tackles, the guy you brought it at the center, all of your depth that you run in the portal are our small school guys Bush and into the last week of spring practice like they have to hit the way from this spring this summer to get to the physical nature of the SEC to make that adjustment, they needed to put weight and muscle on this summer. And that is going to say I think as much as anything about whether this line is.
Speaker 1: Good good payoff in the fourth quarter. We'll see, We'll soon see. We will soon know about this team and John Hale will cover it for the Hair Leader. Follow him on exer Twitter at John j O n h l E Underscore HL. Thank you, sir, c down the Road, thanks for having me say with us. Christy Thomas is next here on six thirty WLAP Welcome back to the Big Moon side of joining us now is my longtime friend, colleague teammate on the UK Sports Network as well as back in the day at w KYT. Miss Christy Thomas, who anchors our pregame coverage, also works UK women's basketball. We shall discuss both here on the Big Blue Sider and there's never an offseason, Christy, you.
Speaker 6: Know that, right, Yeah, no, never. I've got two kids in baseball and softball, and that truckt me. Those seasons are year round. Two.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and you post quite frequently about your kids, which is great watching them, just you know, knowing you when you were single and now you've got kids who are out winning ball games. It's it's so much fun. But I've got to think you are as stunned, I would imagine as the rest of the Big Moone nation with the word that Vince Merriw was changing addresses. Am I right?
Speaker 6: Yeah, you know, I think rumor mill is always pretty wild, and I think at the end of every football season there's always some kind of talk about, well, people are going to go here, so and so is interested in so and so, and you know that kind of thing. So, you know, Vince's name has been tossed around for years about going places and being courted places and that kind of thing. So I think its departure wasn't necessarily a surprise as much as where. And that's probably the case for a lot of us, is that, you know, when you've been a part of this rivalry for so long and it. You know, really, when when the University of Kentucky becomes a part of who you are and a part of your identity, you really understand how bitter that is. Isn't how put that can be for anybody to swallow. So I think it wasn't as much, wasn't as surprisingly left as much as I was about the location.
Speaker 1: It's going to be interesting to see the impact it does have though on UK recruiting. But over the last three years, the years that have clearly been disappointing two UK fans, and ironically enough two of those years, you know, Kentucky's in a ball game. But now it's all about as much the transfer portal as it is you know, wooing the high school kids. So you've got to wonder about the direction now and the effect in miss of UK recruiting and can they get back to where they were because, let's face it, Levis comes through the portal, Wandale Robinson comes through the portal, and some others, But those are the key guys for the last really great year Kentucky had.
Speaker 6: Right Well, yeah, you know, I think the biggest understatement of the century could be that we're in the landscape of college athletics is different. That is so really it's kind of almost silly to even say anymore because it couldn't be more true. So that then means that recruiting is different. Everything about it is different. And so sometimes, you know, I'm a believer that gone are the days that a coach is going to stay somewhere, any coach at any level, within any regardless of where you are assistant coach, a position, coach, whatever, where you're going to stay somewhere for twenty thirty years. Those days are done. Those days are gone. And I think that's maybe what we're seeing, what we've seen here is just that sometimes it just runs. It's cool. Sometimes you've done all you can do at a certain place and then it's time to move on. And I think that's what we're seeing here with Vince is that you know, he did what he could do. He helped put UK in a really great position when he could really utilize his skills and what he did so well as a recruiter, and it's now different. And so I think because of that, it's just time to have a different perspective and a different face and different person doing that. And that doesn't mean that he won't go be successful somewhere else. I think that's fine, you know, So I'm not super bitter about the departure and about this being different. I think, Okay, great, you he did a great job at that time, was what Kentucky be did at that time, and now it's different. So now we're moving on, and you know, and I don't mind, Like if the dynamics are different inside the building and you know, then sometimes it's just time to go. Sometimes it's just the right time for everybody to do something else, and there's nothing wrong with that. So that's really where I'm at with this, is like, you know, now it has to be something that you know, you're looking for someone and something very different from what Vince brought to the table when he came on board at Kentucky years ago.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and it's interesting too that he goes to Louisville as basically the GM, not an assistant coach, a positions coach, even an associate head coach as he was here, not a recruiting coordinator, but he's the head honshow when it comes now to the NIL, I guess now he will still factor into recruiting. This is to me what's going to be fascinating, even if he's not an off campus guy when you get a kid on campus and Vince Merrill will be one of, if not the first guy the kid talks to about, you know, your potential future here at the University of Louisville. And you never know, the kid the next day or the next weekend might be in lexing and having the same conversation with Mark Stoops and Eddie Grant because they're going to be still going as they have for decades, to the same players.
Speaker 6: Right, Oh, yeah, no question. And you know, and I think we we've all heard them talk. We've heard him be in different situations. We've heard him do interviews and that kind of thing. And you know, I think when when you do come face to face with him, you know he's he's a charismatic guy. He's funny, he's relatable to these kids in a lot of ways. So you know, he does he has something to offer as far as that goes. But you know, I think to your point, it will be different. You know, I always wonder what's the pitch. There's a sales pitch every single time you're recruiting a kid, Right, And I said I would love to be in a living room and know what that sales pitch is from a head coach at Kentucky or a coach at Louisville, or a recruiting coordinator from Michigan or Ohios that what's the pitch. There's there's always a pitch to the kid and their parents about why they should come to or or you know, even consider coming to that football program. So, you know, I think I think that would be really interesting to know as you shift years now to to a level what's the pitch? But you know, because sometimes that kind of stuff can get nasty, there's no I mean, it's happened in other sports, you know, as you're recruiting the same kid, you know, I know back in the day women's basketball, and you know, it would get really testy and could get you know, interesting. So I think this could be so there could be a little of that, you know, I mean, there's some plenty of animosity to go around for.
Speaker 1: All of us. What kind of pitch did they make a Campbellsville to land you having grown up there, not much of one.
Speaker 6: I mean, it didn't take much, as you know I said, of anything. It was you know, some of the opposing coaches from other schools said, we didn't even bother. We knew you were going there, so we didn't you. We didn't even put you on our list of recruits to even offer you because we knew that's where you were going.
Speaker 1: So you didn't have to put up with a hard cell to trying to turn your head.
Speaker 6: No, the heart and cell was. You know, which was kind of interesting, is I was not a Division IE level player, but I was offered a walk on position at at Louisville. And you know, that was a situation for me where I, huh, you know that that's great and I could be really cool, but is it really what I want? You know, in terms of of of knowing I'm going to get beat up every day and have to just give everything I got for it. Like a very rooty situation, you know, where you end up one day, you know, maybe making a play in a game and you know, because you got in for about thirty seconds and I'm like, no, that's that's not really what I'm when I'm after. So that was it was a no brainer.
Speaker 1: You would have been the kid who when you stood up to go in the crowds, Oh, they're putting in the subject exactly. I mean that's great for some, but not for you. Uh. Before before I hit the break, Uh, the man who has been chosen to coach tight ends, Derek Shea, has been on staff. But what I think more importantly, he already knows Bush Hampden's offense. And I bring that up because looking ahead, Christy, this is the first season that ham Dan will have had the full year cycle to work with everybody on the roster and get that offense familiar. Uh. You know how much hope does that give you for the coming year?
Speaker 6: Well, it does give me a good bit of it, just because I think we're we're in a position with Kentucky football that we've not seen this where we've had that kind of consistency with offense. We've been wanting it and we've hoped for it, but we've just not seen it and it just hasn't happened. And I think that you know, that becomes they're you know, unrest, I think in the locker room, and you know that's where you I think run the risk of really losing us to the transfer portal when you just can't have some consistency to really start to build something and and that's what we're finally seeing. And I think once you can kind of figure out the offensive line again and you can kind of get that back on track where we are used to seeing that level of play, you can really get some consistency at the quarterback position, and you know, different things like that. All of that can really come together, and it just takes time and you have to be able to give it time. And you know, we're we're not a patient world, that's for sure. But I think that that that will certainly be beneficial to everybody involved in the program that there's finally you know, this is the guy they know. This is a guy Shay. I don't know much about him. You know he was involved, but not in a real high profile role or situation with the program. Third, it'll be interesting to see how that comes together and it'd be a totally different perspective.
Speaker 1: We're talking to Christy Thomas. She anchors our pregame coverage of UK football on the UK Radio Network. We'll come back and talk to UK women's basketball. Christy, of course works with Jeff Picarel on the UK streaming broadcast. Back in a minute on six thirty WLAP Welcome back to the Big Blue and Sider. We're talking with Christy Thomas, broadcast partner for jeff Pacarel on the SEC Network streaming channel for UK women's basketball. Before we talk about the upcoming season in this roster, Christy, this is going to be a season minus Georgia Aymore and we only got to see her for one year, but clearly she has the impact I think that Kenny Brooks needed and wanted, And what do you think this team's going to be like minus one of the best players in America.
Speaker 6: Well, outside of her play, which was just so impressive and so fun to watch and actually has me very disappointed that we only had her for one year, is is really her leadership this She was a young lady who just had such a presence on the floor. Was really a calming presence. I think she never got rattled, she never got overly emotional in a negative way. It was always in a very positive way. She's somebody who knew Kenny Brooks better than anybody else on the floor. So I think that to me becomes so crucial in terms of what you're missing without her on the floor. You know, listen, she can put in you know, twenty six points a night, and you know, tennisis and all those are wonderful things, but when you take on those intangibles like that, it made her so incredibly valuable to this team. So I think it definitely changes the dynamic. I think it now forces some young ladies to step up in a way that maybe they haven't normally, Like a Clara Strack is not a super vocal kind of leader and player, but she may kind of, you know, be forced into a situation like that where she's really got to take on more of that. But I think that that will be the biggest unknown. You know, when you have the transfer portal so readily available and players that you're bringing in like that, that is going to be the single biggest question mark for Kentucky is you know, who can kind of move lessen. Everybody needs to stop thinking who's going to be the next Georgia Amore because there's not one. So I mean it's not that's not the question, it's it's who can run the offense. Right now we're looking at not who's the next Georgia Amore and who does what Georgia does. There isn't anyone, So it's going to be who can run the offense efficiently to keep this team on that winning playing field here where where they're they're you know, Kenny brought them back last year, so they got to stay there, and then that'll be the question.
Speaker 1: Well, he did bring in Tony Morgan, the point guard from Georgia Tech. I have no idea what her games like. You cannot You're right, you cannot expect her to be another Georgia Amoor. But you know she started ninety five games and has scored twelve hundred points and you know his average five assists per games, so you got to think she knows a little something about playing point guard. Plus having come from the ACC, you know Kenny Brooks knows about her.
Speaker 6: That was a great get for them. I mean, there's no doubt about it. She brings a little more size at five nine, so she's got a little more size than what Georgia had. But there there was no question. You had to have somebody with some experience, somebody who was a little older be able to put this on that you know, this team is really you know, I say on their shoulders that that that that's not fair. I don't think that's right. A fair assessment that somebody who could come in and have some confidence about themselves to say I can do this. We need you need me to run the team. That's what I do. I'm a point guard. I run, you know, and I can run this offense. So you know, I think she is a great get for them in that way, you know. But again it's a matter of coming in and you've got to learn everybody. You're learning Kenny system, you're learning what he wants, how he wants things, but you're also learning Lexington and the university and a new place to live and classes and where am I going and where can I go eat? And you know all those things. So it's a lot for anybody that's coming in as a as a first year player here at any school, not just Kentucky. But I think that was a big get for them. But I'll tell you this, I am more excited than anything about watching the two young ladies who were injured last season, and that's Jordan Obi and Dominica Parova. They by all accounts were or could have been starters and so and when you lose them, and they've got great size, they can shoot, they can do so many different They're athletic. They're long, lots of things that these young ladies can do, and they were out all season long due to injury. So they'll both be back and I am so excited to see what they can do because there was so much talk about them going into last season as Kenny came on campus. So everybody watch out for those two. They're going to be really fun to watch well.
Speaker 1: And not only that, by default it means more depth, which is something that really affected Kentucky last year. A lack of depth.
Speaker 6: Oh they just didn't have it. Yeah, I mean, you know I said that there were every single time they took the floor and they played, I just kept thinking, don't get into foul trouble. Just no silly fowls, right, I mean, and that became an issue. I mean, like for Clara Strack, you know, she was a very aggressive type of player that you know, would get saddled with some fouls early. And I kept thinking that about Georgia aymore like, please just don't pick up two early fouls, and even when she did, she often still played, you know, in the first half. So yeah, you've got to have that depth to be able to play as aggressively and as you need to play in the SEC, you've got to have some depth because people are going to get in foul trouble. You're going to get beat up and bang around, and you've got to have some depth, and they definitely will have that this year.
Speaker 1: Well, let's talk a little bit about one of the other stars they have coming back, and it's Clara Strack and a tremendous defensively, but they're going to need more offense. I guess at her this coming sit, I guess they need a little more of everything. Right.
Speaker 6: Well, she she is an all everything player. I mean, this is a young lady who, to your point, can defend and can also score. But we saw last season that she's an excellent passer. She sees the floor so well. She can dribble, you know she can. She easily can bring the ball up the floor, and Kenny Brooks has no problem with that. So keianni Key's no different. I mean, she's also one of their post players at six four that many times rebounds the ball goes the distance. I've seen her take it coast to coast and go all the way up for a layup and no one stops her. So but that that versatility is really what Kenny is is actor and what he likes with his offense is you know, being able to do lots of things, like different things like that. And you know, Claire was somebody that I think really surprised me in that regard that about how how well she passed the ball, how well she sees the floor, and so I think that's a really fun thing to keep an eye out for her too, to see, you know, she will just continue to get better. And she's a hard worker. This young lady isn't isn't doesn't shy away from from the hard work. So, yeah, a little bit more of everything, right, I mean, when you lose twenty some points a game or you know, eighteen points a game with Georgia Amore, you've got to have a little bit more of everything from somebody like that. But again, I go back to this idea of her being a leader. They're going to have to have more of that more than anything is her leadership and her vocal leadership, and you know so so I think it'll be really interesting to watch her kind of move into a bigger role like that and to watch who else you are. I mean, that's always a fun thing as well too.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, and the kid you talked about who missed last year, those were bigger kids, right. I mean that that's more size in the league where you've got to have size.
Speaker 6: That's they're both six to one and and what I love about you know, Jordan Obie's got some real personality and I think she'll be a lot of fun for fans to watch and get to know. You know, is a few times that that I've interacted with her, been able to see and interview with her. She's got a lot of personality and she really understood she's again older. She said she's going to be that graduate senior. So she's a little older and got some years on her and understands being around a little while. So she's going to be a lot of fun. I think she's somebody that could easily be turned into a fan favorite.
Speaker 1: She is Christy Thomas and before long you will hear her coverage of UK football. She hosts our pregame coverage along with uh Logan Stenberg. I'm sitting there looking at his picture Logan Stenberg and Jeremy Jarman.
Speaker 6: He'll be He'll be bad. You forgot it.
Speaker 1: Well, he needs to come back on the show. I keep trying to get him back on, so I didn't forget him. I'm looking right at him. But anyhow, it won't be long before our football covers begins. Thank you, young lady, thanks for having me and that'll do it. Thanks to my guest Christy Thomas, to John Hale and to Jim Dapolis and congrats again on Jim going into the Kentucky Pool Football Hall of Fame. That's a good night to the garage in Lexington sixty nine.
Speaker 4: He was giving him the business.
Speaker 2: Anything, doing anything, do anything at stake that anything I think from TAPS is undetta donating to the US