Speaker 1: Bill Cunningham, The Great America. Welcome to Pete Rose Day in the City Cincinnati. It is May fourteen, and we're going to celebrate the life and times of Pete Rose tonight at the ballpark. And of course he was admitted back into baseball taking off the ineligible list a day or two ago by the Commissioner. My view, that is pathetic. It's cool to have a guy die about six months ago, and now the memories light the corners of my mind, and let's face it, I want to get the perspective of the great Hall of Famer Marty Brenneman. Of course, tonight the first pitch is seven fourteen PM tonight, White Sox, a little Dollo on the mound, and Marty's going to be the MC starting. I think about six thirty and Marty Browneman and welcome again to the Bill Cunningham Show. Can you tell the American people, the forty thousand fans accumulating and congregating to go to the Great American Ballpark? What time to get there? I would think a little bit early. And then secondly, what's going to happ up in between six thirty and seven fourteen.
Speaker 2: Well, they're going to the gates are open at five fifteen Bill, and that's a good move.
Speaker 3: I mean it's a.
Speaker 2: Way ahead of when the actual Rose memory ceremonies will begin around six thirty. And I think in a early class move, the club is giving to everybody who attends tonight. Oftentimes it's the first twenty thousand or the first fifteen thousand, or whatever the case might be, the club is going to give out a facsimile jersey like the one Pete wore during the seventy five seventy six Big Red Machine World Championship years. At six thirty or thereabouts, I will oversee Q and A with Barry Larkin, with Ken Griffy Senior, with Eric Davis, and with George Foster, and basically the questions are going to deal with Pete Rose the player, Pete Rose the teammate, and Pete Rose the manager. And those four guys really present a great cross section because you know, Larkin, Larkin grew up watching Rose in the Big Red Machine teams play, and then eventually Pete became Barrie's first manager in the Big leagues, and then Griffy was a teammate of his and later a coach, and then Foster, of course, is one of the main stays of those great clubs in the middle seventies and playing with Pete and Eric Davis was both a teammate and a guy who Pete managed when Pete was player manager of the ball club. So that's a good that's a good mix. And then they're going to have I know, the Western Hills I don't know what's lee club or a singing group from Western Hills High School where Pete went. We'll sing the national anthem. Members of the family will throw out the first stitch.
Speaker 3: There will be a.
Speaker 2: Fourteen second, you know, a fourteen second memory to commemorate or to think about your own personal thought of what Pete meant to the city and what he meant to this game. And then of course seven fourteen again the fourteen comes up his number to kick off the ballgame.
Speaker 1: When was the last time you saw Pete rose.
Speaker 3: Bill.
Speaker 2: I'm tried to remember when the last time it was that I saw him. He passed away in September. I saw him, No, I saw him on New Year's Eve of twenty and twenty four, because he and I were together for the second straight year at the Hard Rock Casino to make an appearance on New Year's Eve. That might have been.
Speaker 3: That might have been.
Speaker 2: I talked to him a lot on the phone, but I rarely ever got a chance to see him other than when we were thrown together to deal with a function.
Speaker 1: Any day with Pete Rose was a good day, correct, whether it was on the phone in person, bubbling, incredible personality, fun to be with. What was your reaction when Rob Manford finally said, I guess about six seven months after Pete's death, Okay, we'll take him off the ineligible list along with the other fifteen. What was your initial reaction.
Speaker 3: Well, I'm not a.
Speaker 2: Big Rob Manford fan. I think there's an incredible level of hypocrisy involving this whole thing. And I've made the comment over years and years and years that you can hardly turn around at the Hall of Fame in Cooperstown without seeing something that Pete did on the field as a player that enhanced the interest of.
Speaker 1: The game of baseball.
Speaker 2: So they didn't hesitate using Rows as a player to uplift the image of the game and the eyes of the fans, and many thousands that went through the Hall of Fame in Cooperstown every year and every day, but yet he was not a lot good enough to be in. And I believe me when I tell you, going back to the day that he was suspended from the game, I agreed one hundred percent with it. I went full circle over on the on the ensuing years. But I agreed with it because that's the only rule in baseball that's on the wall of every clubhouse in Major League Baseball, all thirty all thirty franchises. And he broke that rule, and he should have been suspended, but not to the extent that he ended up being suspended. And the hypocrisy of it now is that within a matter of months, I mean, this is the most transparent thing I've ever seen. There's no element of cloak and dagger here trying to hide something, because as you said, it was a matter of months he passes, and now they announced that he's off the ineligible list. I'm just not a big fan. Granted, he should have been suspended. Secondly, and quite honestly, I do believe this, And I told the Bill the day he was called the West Palm Beach in nineteen eighty nine to meet with Peter you Barrot and Bartier Moody Commissioner, National League President, and they laid out all the evidence they had, and the evidence was irrefutable. You couldn't there was And I think that had he laid his he fell on the mercy of the court and said, everything you got is true, I am guilty as hell. He would have been suspended for a period of time and we wouldn't even be talking about the possibility of him going in the Hall of Fame today.
Speaker 3: Because he would have been in it years ago.
Speaker 2: But I think Pete made him mad because in face of overwhelming evidence that he did do it and his continued insistence that he didn't, they finally said somewhat vindictively. And I know they would never admit this because there's no not an ounce of vindictiveness in Rob Manfred's body. Okay, you're going to continually lie to us.
Speaker 3: We're going to show you why you shouldn't.
Speaker 2: And I really believe that's the way that whole thing. I told him, I said, had you admitted it the first day they confronted you with it, Yeah, it's unfortunate the way things played out.
Speaker 1: I had on Keith O'Brien and wrote the book Charlie Hustle, The Golden Asua baseball friend of mine. Yeah, good, about a week ago, and I said to him, what was the lowest point of Pete Rose's life? And he related to me a conversation he had with Pete in which in October of nineteen ninety the last glory run of the Reds hopefully they'll be one soon, but it doesn't look like it, in which the Reds were just taking apart the Oakland A's and Pete was in a prison in a little bit of an area where other federal inmates were in Marion, and Pete was saying, well, I would have done this, I would have done that. Look at this, look at that, he said. Near the end, he went back to his to sell and he laid in bed trying to get the wrap up of the game Benziger's catch on the transistor radio and he couldn't quite catch it inside the federal prison. And he said, Pete Rose looked at the ceiling in October as the Reds clinched in Oakland. You had a magnificent call of that occurring. And he said Pete's mind was just collapsing around the idea that he saw jeth Row, he saw Lark and he saw Benziger, he saw Rio. By the way, Jose Rio turned sixty years old yesterday, talk about time fly and Pete said that that was the lowest point of my life. Can you imagine if you go from September the eleventh, nineteen eighty five to about four years later August ninth, or maybe October of nineteen ninety think of the road that Pete Rose traveled from forty one ninety two to federal prison staring at the ceiling in the dark, trying to get the call of that game. Unbelievable, It really.
Speaker 2: Is it, Without be questioned, it's incredible. And by the way, Keith O'Brien's book's the best book that's ever been written about Pete.
Speaker 1: Yeah, for those who were the best as down and you mentioned what happened in West Pond Beach with you Ba Off and I think Fay Vincent was in the room and others, and Pete's character was such he could not admit to agent there weren't there. At least two other occasions were Joe Morgan while he's doing the ESPN game, you know, with John Miller, et cetera. Joe Morgan and others had Seallea getting close to saying, okay, do this, do that, We'll let you back in, and Pete couldn't take the next step.
Speaker 3: Not exactly.
Speaker 2: There were at least two occasions where Joe had set up a meeting between Bud Ceilely and Pete Rose that was just a meeting that no one else would have been privy to. It would have been Bud sitting across the table from Pete. I don't know whether Joe would have been involved in it, probably not knowing Joe as well as I did, he wanted no part of that. He was Bud Seelely's inside guy. Every time Sea League had something that was sensitive at any level relative to the game, the first person he would confide in with Joe Morgan. Joe had incredible power that people never even knew about. And he was also the best friend that any human being could ever possibly have. And I told Pete a million times everybody should be privileged to have a friend like you had in Joe Morgan. And every time Joe got this meeting almost certain to take place, Pete did or said something that killed it all. And you know, Pete, my beautiful wife, who is a very bright girl, as a saying, nobody will do more damage to you than you'll do to yourself. And Pete was probably the poster boy for that, because if you stuck a microphone in his face and you talk to him live long enough, he's going to say something that will hurt him. And those occasions that Joe had set up meetings with Bud Seely, on both occasions Pete did something that angered the commissioner and he called him off.
Speaker 1: I don't know if you saw last night. I'm watching ESPN. I think Tim Kirchen is this fabulous season almost the baseball and he's been on that so called Veterans Committee before, and of course people I just said, somebody stop me in the hallway and say when's Pete getting in the Hall of Fame. And I said, well, I told this fine sales executive of ours. We'll see about that. Because Kirchin said the following he said, I've been on that Veterans Committee and it meets, by the way, sometime in the middle of twenty twenty seven to announce the results in twenty in December of twenty twenty seven, which is what two and a half years away, And he said there's sixteen of us, he said, and they're all Hall of famers or individuals like me or General Manager Tony Perez is on the Veterans Committee. I don't know if he still lives. He was, and Tim said, look, I'm inclined to vote yes, but I know that the sentiment is against Pete and it takes seventy five percent of the vote, twelve of sixteen. I'm inclined to vote yes. And then he related a conversation he'd briefly had with Frank Robinson. Statue ten years here, fabulous Hall of famer and Frank Robinson I said to Tim, this is years ago before Frank passed away, that you know, Pete Rose should never be in the Hall of Fame. And to me, I thought, Frank Robinson veda Pinson, Pete Rose, you know, right there together because coming up in sixty three, sixty four, sixty five. But for those who say, well this means Pete's going to be in the Hall of Fame, they meet every three years, and what is your sense, I guess as a Hall of Fame or you could be on the Veterans Committee. At some point they asked eminent individuals of the game. I know what your answer would be would be yes. But for those who say, okay, it's a short step. We will be announced tonight that Pete Rose is in the Hall of no Explain the process, the difficulties Pete Rose would have in front of that committee.
Speaker 2: Well, you know, I've felt and Jim knows a whole lot more about it than I do, but I felt that it is being presented to the Veterans Committee might well stand a better ants of him being inducted now then it would have been back in the day, because of the anger that a lot of the people that were influential in Cooper's town expressed over the fact that, you know, it took him all that time to admit that he bet on baseball. But you know, maybe it's not going to be the walk along the Primrose Lane that we all thought it was going to be. If these people still feel and you know, the guys that when I went in in two thousand and it's hard to believe it's twenty five years ago, but you know, they were all up in arms because they've gotten win that I was going to say something about Pete and Betch came to me, Johnny came to me, the day before the induction ceremony, said they don't shoot the messenger. I said, okay. He said, Bob Feller and Ralph Kinner have both said that if you mentioned Pete, they're going to get up the walk off the stage. And I said, Johnny, go back and tell them how to give a damn.
Speaker 3: What they did.
Speaker 2: If they wanted to be stripped naked.
Speaker 3: In defiance of what I said, then the hell with them.
Speaker 2: And the next day I made a comment about Pete very assertively that he should be in the Hall of Fame, and moved on. They were concerned over the fact that this the year before, when Mike Schmidt went in in nineteen ninety nine, that he went on for five minutes about how Pete should be in the Hall of Fame, and that angered the dickens out of them. And so but I did what I was going to do, and nobody got up and walked off the stage. But those were the two guys that were that carried the torch of defiance against Pete ever being in. Feller and Ralph, obviously both of them are gone now, and maybe they are people like Robbie who was also gone, But maybe there are more that we don't know about that. Are just as opposed to Pete being in the Hall of Fame today as they were back then. I don't know.
Speaker 1: About a minute remaining, Marty Brenneman, what is the reason? What is the sense? Forty thousand people tonight and they could have sold another twenty thousand tickets. Pete Rose is dead. We had the ceremony at the Great American Ballpark in September October when he died. Well, what is the hold that Pete Rose has on Cincinnati?
Speaker 2: Well, I think Bill, and I've said it all the years that I've had the privilege of living in this town and staying here after countless numbers of opportunities to go to other places in Major League Baseball, and ply my trade, this is the most provincial city on earth, especially if you come from the outside. And if you come from the outside like al Michaels did before me and like I did, and other people and other walks of life, they reserve judgment on you. They don't jump on your bandwagon, but they don't get off of it quickly. They wait and see how you can induct yourself, and once they decide that you are one of them, It's like if you and I were brothers, I can call you anything. I want to call you the most vile, but the guy who's a friend of ours standing there, he better not do it. And so this is kind of off the beaten path. But you know, Pete was born and raised here, and Pete people prided themselves when this guy was when he had proven himself to be an outstanding, elite Major League Baseball player, and he continued to knock the doors down on records and he ultimately became the all time hit king. People loved that, and people loved the fact that he went to West Hills High School and he was born on that side of town, and so there was nothing that he could do that would diminish their love and affection for him. All through the gambling thing and anything else that had come into play that was a negative factor in peace life. People would accept the fact and acknowledge the fact, but at the same time, they would always quick to say, it doesn't make any difference. He's one of us, and we love Pete Rose, and I think that basically is what it's all about here, and they'll continue to love his memory as much as they love the person he was just a special individual who had a lot of warts, but those warts were accepted by anybody who crossed paths with him for the most part.
Speaker 1: Oh tonight, Tim, Marty, thank you so much. We've discussed this. I've only been on the radio forty three years. You've been on a little bit longer than that. And it's a constant theme of Pete Rose. It doesn't change. And I don't think because of the formatics of getting into the Hall of Fame is going to change for the next several years. Maybe three years from now, maybe six, maybe nine, maybe twelve, I don't know. But yeah, it's sad, and I'm angry at Baseball for what they did to Pete as far as not letting them in. It's pathetic, it's cruel to do this right after he dies. It just doesn't sit well. But Marty, thank you. And I fear we're going to do this again at some point. It seems like they probably we will. Bill all right, Marty, thank you so much. Thank you.
Speaker 2: Okay, Pal, thank you, thank you.
Speaker 1: So Now let's continue news coming up. And you couldn't make it up. Shakespeare could not write the twist and turns of the Life and times of Peter Edward Rose, the highs of highs and the lowest of low's. And now he's dead, and we cannot change what Major League Baseball did depete by being so cruel. What's changed the last six or seven months. Nothing? But after he's dead, they want to kick him one more time. Let's continue with more. Bill Cunningham News Radio seven hundred W elderm Hi, Billy Cunningham, the Great American. Here we go again. By the way, I want to acknowledge Carlos Sanchez, owner of Continental Roof, as a new advertiser of the Bill Cunningham Show. And if you need have difficulties with your roof, skylights, whatever it might be, Continental Roof is the place to check out Carlos Sanchez. And if you know, Carlo's telling me he's to build Cunningham Citizen of the Day. Let's continue now. We never stop. We simply continue. As you know. And most of my adult life I've felt directly and indirectly empathy, anger, sorrow, all the range of emotions about Peter Edward Rose. And here we are again, about six months after his death. He died in September of last year, but really about eight months after his death. All of a sudden, we're at a situation now where if Pete Rose is back in the news, the national news. It was ABCNBCCBS last night, Lester Hold, David muretctera, Pete Pete Rose, Pete Rose. The answer is Pete Rose. And we got forty thousand fans, desperate fans coming to the ballpark tonight named after me, of course, the great American, to celebrate Pete Rose's accomplishments and contributions, but most importantly, to allow his family members. I'm sure Pete Rose Junior will be their pet and tie and faun and all the others and extended family members and grandkids to understand how great a player Pete Rose was and what he meant to this town. And in a sense, he's one of the few Hall of famers from Cincinnati. Thinking about Barry Larkin, who's led an exemporary life. The best Barry Larkin right now, I think is sixty years old. Time flies when you having fun, And I would point out I discussed with my grandchildren Pete Rose, and they say, who is he? You know, Pete Rose, the average American was born. The average American is thirty one years old. So the average American was born in nineteen ninety four, probably had no memory of baseball until about twenty years ago. And that's the whole history. I speak to el Rod every now and now and then Austin and Elmo, and he tells me that, you know, he was born well after Pete Rose had come out of federal prison. It's like, well talking about talking to him about Pete Rose is like or Marty talking about Joe Demagio. It's not relevant to lives of most, but those of us who knew him, those of us who watched him, are just in awe. What's happened to this guy. Shakespeare could not have written a more unbelievable play than the Life of Pete Rose. And I'm offended by the fact that many, including the Commissioner's office, I would imagine, would wait until after Pete's death to finally make him eligible for the Hall of Fame. That was one joy that Pete would have experienced near the end of his life. He died at the age of eighty three. For God's sakes, he was born four fourteen forty one, so you know he's somewhat elderly. Shall we say what eighty. He would have just turned eighty four years old, and at the end of his life he was in bad health, but he had to keep signing autographs because that's how he made a living. To compare him with Sheilas Joe Jackson is wrong and that Chicago White Sox in town. Of course, last night they beat up on the Reds again five to one. That's embarrassing, but nonetheless, but what Pete Rose did is not even close to what Shuela Joe Jackson did and the White Sox scandal nineteen nineteen not even close. I watched on the History Channel this two hour show on the White Sox in nineteen nineteen, and betting on baseball at that point by owners included was was it given? It happened regularly, kind of like today. And I don't blame the broadcaster, of course, not that they have a job to do. But last night during the game I'm watching and listening that the odds of the Reds being shut out increased and you can bet during the game on your phone, as all of a sudden, betting is the worst thing in the world, but baseball's embraced at big time. In fact that one of these celebrations of Pete Rose's life with Bob Castellini and the Grade eight were there. Al in rightfield was a sign that said bet bet n MGM. The sign is there. So Shula Show Jackson and the White Sox took cash in order to affect the outcome of the World Series won by the Reds of nineteen nineteen, and some have said, well, shueless Joe Jackson did not do anything wrong. He did hit like three seventy five, hit a great series. But what he did to was except five thousand dollars in cash put on his bed in the hotel room. He knew about what was going on. He accepted five thousand dollars from the gamblers. He played a great World Series and the other ones that were suspended through some of the games, but not shuliss Joe Jackson. Shoeless Joe did not throw any of the games. He simply knew what was going on and took five thousand dollars, which in nineteen nineteen money today's worth about seventy five thousand dollars. Not to throw the game, but he knew about he took the cash, and so when they were indicted, the White Sox eight of them were indicted by a Cook County grand jury. About a year later, they were all found not guilty by a Chicago jury. And so what Pete Rose did was bet on baseball. They had evidence on as a player, but certainly bet on the game as a manager to affect the outcome. But he said he never bet on the game on the Reds to do anything but win, putting that off to the side. I just think it's a situation where you must separate what happened outside the lines as opposed to those inside the lines. The same thing, in my view, would have applied to Barry Bonds, or Mark McGuire or a Rod whatever, Roger Clemens. In Pete's case, I had one of our great sales execs here come up to me and said, he's Pete Rose getting in the Hall of Fame tonight. And I said, well, not exactly. No, No, the Commissioner, I think, under the aegis of Donald Trump, pressuring Donald Trump, he does these kinds of things. And the President announced he's going to pardon him on his income tax felony convictions at being Peter Rose at some point. But it's not happened yet, but it's going to happen soon, I would imagine, and he encouraged him to put him in eligible for the Hall of Fame. You just heard my conversation with Marty Brenahan, Marty Brenneman. The odds him getting in the Hall of Fame now are no greater today than they were five or ten years ago. In fact, some say they look to be less likely. And it's because of this. Every three years, this so called Veterans Committee meets the only meet every three years, and there's as many as eight persons nominated through a process that occurs previous to December of twenty twenty seven. And one thing they've done is change some of the picking of the individuals who are on that committee. It used to be it wasn't a big deal that you'd have some Hall of Fame baseball players, maybe some general managers, whatever it might be. Tony Perez was on at some point and the idea was, okay, review those that have fallen through the cracks, like Dave Parker and Dick Allen. You might remember in December, about five months ago, our own Dave park Parker was selected by the Era Committee, the Veterans Committee, to be put on the Hall of Fame, which will happen in July of this year. And so you're thinking, okay, well that was deserved. I think Dave Parker certainly ought to be in the Hall of Fame, etc. But now the selection process is a little bit different than it was. Let me read you how the Baseball Committee, in anticipation of this occurring, has changed. What's going on. Three sixteen member ERA committees vote on retired players not elected by the Baseball Writers' Association, as well as managers on parson executives. The ERA Committee meets every three years and it consists that used to consist of Hall of Famers, executives, media and historians vote each year in a rotating basis. Now that has changed. According to my source at ESPN, the Hall of Fame has announced that the members of the so called Historical Overview Committee the Veterans Committee, which develops the Era of ballots, will now be approved by the Hall of Fame Board of Directors, and those members are appointed by the BBWAA, the Baseball Writers of America. This is, as Marty just said, a fore voting signed for Pete Rose. So they changed it, and they only put so the Baseball writers picked the Hall of Fame Board of Directors who picked the members of the Old Timers Committee, and only eight people every three years make the so called ballots. It's called you know, eight make it. And then there's voting taking place sometime in December of twenty twenty seven. And that means that this pastime there were two elected pot Rose Loup Panela missed by one vote. You need twelve of the twelve of the sixteen in order to get in the Hall of Fame, states on the website, called voting shall be based upon the individual's record, ability, integrity, sportsmanship, character and contract ABU to the game. So when you look at the course ahead for Pete Rose, yes, they wait till he's dead to put him eligible to take him off the list. I thought a lifetime ban ended ended when your life ends. I thought that, No, that wasn't the case in baseball. Normally, when you're given a life sentence, go to prison, they don't keep your body for eight months after you're dead. When you're dead, you're dead. You're dead and buried. That's it. But baseball says a lifetime ban exceeds until recently passed the end of your life, Suli Stoe. Jackson's been dead now for about I don't know, seventy seventy four years. He died in nineteen fifty one, so it's seventy four years. Sure was so Jackson was on the ineligible list during a lifetime ban, and he'd been dead for seventy four years. So Pete's been dead now about eight months. So the long and the shortest, they're making it more difficult for Pete Rose to baseball riders to get into the Hall of Fame through the old timers can because of those making the selection. And I would point out that Tim Kershon of ESPN a greatest story into the game. He was on a couple of those previous committees, and he said last night on ESPN that if it was up to me, I'd go in the committee room thinking I would probably do it, but I'd want to hear what the other committee members said, and I could change my opinion when you have the old timers and Tim Kershon saying, you know what, I don't know about this, And if you don't get six votes, six out of the fifteen voting two in a row, which is six years in a row, you don't come back up for consideration. So to this fine woman who works here who said to me, is Pete Rose getting in the Hall of Fame tonight? Well, the odds him getting in the Hall of Fame in twenty seven are not very good. In fact, they're bad because those making the selection have given interviews in the past to say he doesn't belong in the Hall of Fame, Nor does shoeless Joe Jackson belong or the other so called black Sox. They don't belong. So in order to get in, you need twelve of the sixteen to say yes, he's in, and then it's automatic. And I think I heard Marty and one of the other close friends of Pete say, if that happens, the Rose families should say thanks, but no thanks. Pete would be in the Hall of Fame, but there wouldn't be like a big celebration of Pete's life in the July because they're going to make a lot of money off of this deal. And this should have happened for Pete during the living years instead of eight months after he's dead. That's insulting and it's pathetic by Major League Baseball. I having said that there's no franchise in sports does a better job as celebrating its past than the Cincinnati Reads. As Marty said, gates are opening up at five point fifteen tonight, five point fifteen pm tonight. It's going to be for people there and get there early because when the gates open, and they're going to be handed a replica of Pete Rose Jersey nineteen seventy five, seventy six. And the program starts at six point thirty and we're going to cover it all and at seven point fourteen will be the first pitch. A little bit late, and the weather's looking okay, not bad, but here we go again. I first met Pete Rose in nineteen sixty three when my old coach, Gordon Veterino, arranged for him to come speak to a team, and after our season had concluded, and I shook his hand, there was a picture taking one of those flashbulbs lost to history. I'd love to have. But I've been connected and admiring Pete Rose for a long long time, and for a long long time. He angered me greatly by screwing up his life, But who hasn't Who among us can cast the first stone?
Speaker 3: Not me, not you?
Speaker 1: Between the white lines, he belongs in the Hall of Fame. What he did outside is completely a different matter. And some will say that he should never get in the Hall of Fame because of the felony conviction, which, by the way, a pardon is coming from President Trump, or because he admitted to having sex with a girl he thought was sixteen and she was fifteen at the time when he was in his thirties, or betting on the game directly or indirectly, one way or another. And at some point, may the good live after and the bad interred with the bones. And as far as Pete Rose is concerned, I don't know what to say other than I wish him well. A friend of mine said, at one point he said the word Jesus when a friend of his had found the faith, and Pete Rose something of the affect. Did he find Jesus? And the answer was yes. And I have a hope that as he flew from Tennessee back to Vegas, that at some point something happened to p Rose he acknowledged his Lord and Savior. At some point I hope p Rose ask forgiveness for the sins and crimes he had committed, and may he be with God Almighty. I'll continue with more coming up later as a do no harm physician about what's happening in medical schools and more Troma the Reds. Bill Cunningham, News Radio seven hundred WW Bill Cunningham, The Great America, and of course we try to understand what's happening in our major elite institutions. You would like to think, whether it's UCLA or Columbia or Ohio State, for example, that the best and the brightest, the best intentions that the leaders have thought, so to speak, in America, they churn out the leaders in ten twenty thirty years from now. I had the honor going to the University of Toledo Law School, got a great education there. I could not be admitted to UCLA or iver to yell if I tried to. I didn't even try because I wasn't elite in the minds of some. And so we look forward to the big schools to churn out the best doctors, the best architects, the best lawyers, the best business leaders. And hopefully they don't practice race discrimination as the Democrats did for most of their history. They have in the South, especially between about sixteen nineteen and eighteen sixty five did everything in their power to practice racial discrimination against black folks, and that was the Democratic Party. The ku Klux Klan was the Democratic Party hanging black men with Democratic Party and destruction of many of our urban schools today or the Democratic Party doing that. But I note with interest a column by doctor Stanley Goldfarb, who's the medical watchdog of Donoharm dot org has filed a class action lawsuit against the David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA for discriminating based upon race, and doctor Goldfarb, but welcome to the Bill Cunningham Show. And first of all, I know the name. Tell the American people who is David Geffen. I guess gave a lot of money to have the school named after him, a school of medicine producing doctors. But who is David Geffen?
Speaker 4: Well, it's good to be with you, Bill. He's a major Hollywood mogul producer. I don't know all of his ins and outs of all that he owns, but he's been a major figure in the American movie making industry for many years now.
Speaker 1: Lots of money, And give me the essence of your lawsuit against the David Geffen School of medicine at UCLA. What is the essence of it?
Speaker 4: Well, like a lot of the elite institutions that you mentioned, there's a rottenness at their core, and in this case of UCLA Medical School, what's really rotten has been their admission policies for medical students for the last several years. And this is probably going on in many medical schools around the country. In matter of fact, we have some evidence that it is, but this has been a particularly egregious place because they're director of admissions at Doctor Lucerno, who's a physician and an associate dean for admissions, has been very outspoken in her desire to have a racially based admissions process. And our lawsuit involves students who were denied admission to UCLA who had excellent, in fact superb academic credentials, much better than minority students that were accepted, and yet they were rejected over and over again from the school. And again, Doctor Rosano has been very public in her statements, and we have whistleblowers from the UCLA Medical School who are willing to testify about things she has said and things she has done and policies that the school has adopted. That favors individuals based on their skin color rather than their academic and performance.
Speaker 1: You know, doctor go Goldfarb. That's been declared illegal for a very long time, including Title the Civil Rights Act of nineteen sixty four, the Civil Rights Act of eighteen sixty six, which was codified largely in the fourteenth Amendment, and the California Civil Rights It is well known you can't pick someone or give somebody favor based upon skin color. That is racial discrimination. And I would think if you put this dean in a deposition, which you're likely to do soon, she's going to say, yes, we did it, but we have good intentions. In other words, we want to have diversity. Diversity is our strength. Actually, I think unity is our strength. So what are the difficulties when you pick individuals for medical school based upon skin color and not merit. How does that manifest itself to patience?
Speaker 4: Well, ultimately, it really means that you have less qualified individuals delivering healthcare. And we have lots of evidence now from the performance of minority students in school and in their training programs that show that they're performing much less well. And it's pretty obvious that if you perform less well, as a student and less well as an intern and resident where you're actually performing all the functions of a physician, that you're going to perform less well for the rest of your career. And in fact, we have evidence for that from some of the exam performance that has been noted on when people take their board certification exams, so we have evidence that the performance is less good. And the other great problem here is a problem where the medical the minority medical students who are capable and are qualified are tarred by this terrible racialism because it seemed that they were given this opportunity not because of their capabilities, but because of their skin color. So it works, It works harm for lots of people at harms patients potentially, and it harms those black students who deserve to be physicians and who deserve to have the honor that they've achieved when they've been successful in their careers, and yet they're diminished by this kind of program.
Speaker 1: And doctor I hear the argument, well, you need doctors or lawyers, or politicians or teachers that look like their patients or their students or their clients. That the greater good is to choose based upon race, so that if you walk into a doctor's office and there's a black female face, or you walk into a lawyer's office and there is a gay rights lawyer, you walk into your classroom and you have a teacher that looks like you, there are positive societal events for that that needs to be imposed. How would you react to that argument from the radical left.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and that is the typical argument that's used to justify this kind of behavior that in an argument for reparations. The truth is that there is a great deal of evidence that that's simply not the case.
Speaker 3: There are over.
Speaker 4: Sixty medical studies and they've been evaluated through systematic reviews, which is a very rigorous process published in peer review medical journals. Five systematic reviews have been published in peer review medical journals to show that when you look at questions of how well do doctors communicate with their patients, how satisfied are the patients with the care they're getting, one of the medical outcomes of these kinds of fear. There's no evidence that having the doctor that books like you is going to provide better care than the best. And despite this, studies are cherry picked. You know, an occasional study will show will claim that there's a benefit, but then there are five other studies, for example, that will show that there's no such benefit. So when you look at the totality of the literature, there's just no evidence that that's true. And you know it's not true. These are the teachers. It's not true in any sphere where it's been proposed. It's just a myth that's out there, and it's used to justify this kind of racialism that's gone on in medical school admissions.
Speaker 1: And you know it's true across the board, right, and it's true for lawyers, doctors, architects. Is completely true. It's inculcated in the groundwater. Yeah, absolutely true.
Speaker 4: And you know the point you made about we've had laws that have prevented this kind of racialization of medical school admissions. You know, the Supreme Court case the Students for Fair Admissions, by the way, are co blinktives in our case with us with our members show you that there cannot be any such destination in our education at all. This was one sort of exception that was out there for several years, but that's been completely eliminated now.
Speaker 3: So what is illegal.
Speaker 4: It defies the Supreme Court rulings, and the time has come for it to stop. Time has come for us to have the colored blind Society that was envisioned by Martin Luther King Junior, and that represents the American ideal.
Speaker 1: Yeah, if I get on a Delta, if I get on a Delta airplane, I don't care if the crew is black, white, Asian, I don't care if they're straight or gay. Just get me to where I'm going on time. And it's kind of a situation where I have a sense because of this US Supreme Court, because hopefully we'll follow the law. I can recall the comments of a Supreme Court justice about thirty thirty five years ago, Santre Day O'Connor, who kind of winked, nod, nod, and said, look, we're going to have to have some okay, benign racial discrimination for the next twenty years. In order to spend more money on the public schools, more Mamby, more money on public education, we've got to spend more money on Section eight. We've got to spend a lot of money. And we've spent literally trillions of dollars the last twenty to thirty years in order to make sure that a kid you're in Los Angeles, ice, but La County school about the sand amount of money is spent there is in a private school. I live in Cincinnati, and in fact, the public schools spend more per student than the so called Catholic private schools with less results. And so the argument was, we have to violate the law for about twenty years, and after that, which would be like the nineteen nineties or two thousand, which is a quarter of a century ago, were that okay, okay, everyone's up. We're going to treat people not based upon the color of their skin, but rather that their merit to get in. And this has not stopped, especially especially in urban areas. It's not stopped, and so hopefully it'll stop this time.
Speaker 4: Well, you know, and the thing about medical school admissions is that any qualified black student has been preferentially admitted for many, many years, which, okay, if they're qualified, they're qualified, and that's fine. If they're qualified as much as an Asian student that's being denied admission. But the problem with medical schools is, unlike undergraduate schools, where you could always go to another school if you don't get excepted by one, there's always another one. That's not true. In medical schools, there are fifty five thousand applicants for twenty two thousand spaces, and if a student is denied admissions, then some other student, who in this case is better qualified, is denied that admission. And that's really a major problem. You cannot have fairness in this kind of system. And again that's very Unamerican to have such an unshared situation going on.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I didn't know those numbers. I know in the state of Ohio we have seven or eight law schools, and of course, if you're bright and intelligent, whatever, you might go to Case Western, you might go to Ohio State. But there's always Ohio Northern, there's always University of Toledo. And in California, though, I would assume there's a few medical schools, and you want the best in the brightest, because we're not dealing with not to writing a complaint or a lawsuit, or maybe not writing a will properly. We're talking about someone's life, that is. And if you would ask African Americans, do you want the best doctor to treat you for your cancer? I don't think the typical African American patient would say, you know what, I wanted an affirmative action doctor. The patients themselves don't say that.
Speaker 5: No.
Speaker 4: In fact, we've asked that question, and you're exactly right. Black patients want the best doctor. That's what they want, and it demeans them to suggest that they are so racially biased that they can only deal with.
Speaker 1: A black doctor. It's just not true.
Speaker 4: It doesn't reflect the Black community, and it certainly doesn't reflect what's best for the House of the American people.
Speaker 1: Lastly, you have in your lawsuit April twenty twenty five, a whistleblower said that you see LA circulated a memo requiring admissions committee members to consider race when picking students to serve as admissions officers, and then to go through the medical school process. I think it takes three, four, five six years. Are the principles of racism and shall we say diversity taught throughout the class work doesn't end at the admission and the next four years in medical school that race never comes up, that you have no benefit or costs for someone being black. Is this diversity DEI taught throughout medical school?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 4: Absolutely, and it's integrated into all courses, even when students go on a surgical rotation. They'll have a lecture about diversity and about racism and surgery, and it's all nonsense. And the reality is there are important health disparities that the black population suffers, but the idea that it's because their patients are being treated in a bias fashion by physicians is just simply wrong. There are other genetic, behavioral, all sorts of reasons that have to do with why there's discrepancies in health outcomes by the real problem, and not to create this myth that the problem is biased on the part of physicians and that patients need.
Speaker 3: Doctors that look like them in order to get rid of this bias.
Speaker 4: That's this lie that's been perpetuated for several years now, and it's just wrong and it's just counterproductive, totally counterproductive because it doesn't get at the root of the issue. The root of the issue is that black patients need to have better trust in the healthcare system and need to identify their symptoms earlier and need to get health access earlier. We know, for example, that the high maternal mortality that black women suffer in large part is due because there's a tremendous gap between they're getting first trimester prenatal care in order to identify high pertension and other problems that can be controlled early on in pregnancy and prevent problems later on. And these opportunities are available, there are laws that provide the funding for black women. If they're poor to be able to get this care, they need to get the care. Then it needs to be an educational process that goes on in the black community that would help mitigate this problem. It's not due to the fact that obstetrics and gynecology doctors are biased against black women.
Speaker 1: Well, I would think DEI principles apply, as you say, throughout medical school and if, as some conservative a student doesn't buy into the idea, I'm not going to acknowledge DEI. I'm not going to acknowledge racism. That student would have difficulties getting residency, getting grades, things to that character. And well, hopefully is that the case doctor, Well, yeah.
Speaker 4: You know, it's interesting that the agency that credit that credits residency programs now just yesterday announced that they were going to eliminate their diversity requirements for residency programs. And in the past what you said is absolutely the case that there are students that were denied opportunities and specialties like neurosurgery or radiology because of their skin color. And this has been going on throughout the medical establishment, and that time has come when it must stop.
Speaker 1: Doctor Stanley Goldfarbe, go online, Do No Harm dot org, Medical director. Let's begin and let's go back to the ideas that race should not play a factor in these admissions. Rather it should be merit and everyone should agree with that, Doctor Stanley gold Goldfarb from UCLA, thanks for coming on the Bill Cunningham Show. And doctor you're a great American. Thank you very much. Thanks so much, God bless you. Let's continue with more and there it is. Race should play no part. Merit should trump race whenever it's available. And that's the that's the law. How about enforcing the law. What a novel concept. No one is above the law. I thought, Bill Cunningham News Radio seven hundred that you.
Speaker 3: L one one to a waiting Jim Hickman and right.
Speaker 1: Into the stretch, looking back and.
Speaker 6: Trolls up the middle Goss on the play round, pick up my owners loss, coming to the place. So the prow Adan it's all over the nationally when he rows perl into Ray Posse, who is slow in getting up find the block the plate.
Speaker 1: The ball wasn't there yet, and Rows just rolled the shoulder into him, and Posse.
Speaker 6: Is being led away. But the nison leg is now on.
Speaker 3: It's eighth in a row.
Speaker 6: The line drive single of the Chicago Cubs Jim Hickman scorer Cincinnatis head Rose.
Speaker 7: Oh hello, hello, quiet number, my god, all right?
Speaker 1: Segment nineteen seventy Ray Fosse and segment where are you now?
Speaker 3: If anywhere were sitting in a radio birthway Ballady, you meet out with floater Speedway and I'm watching the cars going around that god getting it's two hundred and twenty four miles an hour. They had about a three hour rain delay this morning, so they just got the track dright out. They've been out there for about five or ten minutes. But thinks they're rocking and rolling here in Indianapolis.
Speaker 1: So so in Cincinnati. Now, tell me a memory you have of Pete Rose, Maybe the ball he gave you and I Joe Demagio, maybe some other event. Give me a memory of Pete Rose.
Speaker 3: Well that was that's you know what Willie? You brought that I forgot, totally forgot about that. You and I were down there one night talking to him and stuff in his office, and he said, hold on a minute, reached up at his locker and got these two baseballs out, cast them to us, and at once one it said Pete Rose. And I split the ball around and stopped, and you pumped into me. He said, what are you doing? I said, look at turn the ball around, and it said, Joe Demagule, where is your Joe Demagio Pete Rose ball?
Speaker 1: As I speak, where is where's your ball?
Speaker 3: Uh? Mine's at home?
Speaker 1: And it came mine's in the woods behind Camargo Woods and Madeira, my son took it out and played catch with it in the on the pavement of Camargo Woods Court.
Speaker 3: Oh well that's you know what that that reminds me of the baseball. Remember the baseball that was the last out of Tom Brownie's perfect.
Speaker 1: Game September sixteenth, nineteen eighty eight.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he ended it up on the mantle, and I guess after a couple of weeks or something, he looked on the mantle, the ball wasn't there, and he has his kids and where's the baseball? And where's that ball? At the said, well, we needed we didn't have a baseball until we just got that one. It's in the wood some plate in Erlanger or something wherever he lived. And I thought, what, No, I don't know. I don't know if they ever found it or what. But that's that's a that's a that's a known fact.
Speaker 1: In segment, I hate to bring this up, but the Cleveland Cavaliers best record in all of basketball thrown out by the Pacers. Where you are four to one in the series, lost, and nobody's happy now in Cleveland, which might be a good thing.
Speaker 3: Well, that's true, Willie. The Browns, the Browns are going to be bad. The Cavaliers were like, you know, lights out in the season. And people here in Indianapolis are going crazy because how about this on Sunday of the the Indianapolis five hundred. Also in Indianapolis that night will be Game three of the Eastern Conference Finals.
Speaker 1: Oh oh oh oh yeah.
Speaker 3: Are you talking about excitement? The people are, you know, they're excited about the five hundred. But people in Indianapolis are going crazy because the Papers are playing so well and they may end up winning the whole thing.
Speaker 1: Well, I think, you know, Nicks, I would think are favor now to beat the Celtics with Jason Tatum done. So if it's the exactly, if it's the Pacers in the finals, and you know, I would assume if they can beat the Knicks, then they play I guess Oklahoma City, and that'd be a crisis in the NBA. They don't want Indianapolis playing Oklahoma City. You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 3: I came end of that. Will He the student to poor here it is brocking you by your local tame star eating er, conditting dealers, teme star quality. You canteal excuse me, Willie Red's update, Reds got knocked off. Hopefully tonight, Willie, thank you, Rocky, Hopefully to night, Wille It'll be a rose Knight, will be a victory in front of a sellout crowd because we're going to honor the Hit King in his great career thing. So uh. And the coverage begins right after you at three o'clock live from the Holy Grail, the Cinema Attack Resolution Peed Party presented by Columbia hunday dot Com, and then just past six o'clock, the R and M Carriers inside Hit and then the Kelton Chevrolet xtrating show after the game.
Speaker 1: Yes, what about Trey Hendrickson is a Christian who says he's not going to honor his contract. Can you comment on the fact that Trey Hendrickson number ninety one signed the deal deal and did not honor the contract. Now he says going to sit out.
Speaker 3: Your comments on that, well, he's well, if he sits out, he's going to be fined. And this is gotten. It looked like a progress is going to be made about a week or so ago, and now it's turned ugly because like I said, he uh, you know, Bengals up. They brought you by good spirits and party town. Trey Hendrickson years today showed up in street closed at the Bengals voluntary workout on the sideline, not a uniform, but it's a poke with the media. And one day after apparently the contract, cops were cut with him. So it's I don't know, that's that's maybe they.
Speaker 1: I don't know what to tell you, but.
Speaker 3: I really The Bengals twenty twenty five schedule is going to come out along with the rest of the National Football lead Amy dorn Window presented by Bill and Adam Webber. NFL schedule release party is live tonight that Smoked Justice and Covington starting at sixth on the FPM fifty. There is a report I saw this morning the Bengals will open Bengals Sunday Night football at Buffalo.
Speaker 1: Is that possible?
Speaker 3: I like that.
Speaker 8: I don't know.
Speaker 1: I like that.
Speaker 3: That's one thing. That's one thing. They said they'll be on the road at Buffalo MLS soccer tonight after Cincinnati on the road at Toronto FC, acting at seven on Fox Sports thirteen to sixty. Uh like I said. Indianapolis five hundred practice had a belong range of late this morning and they are back on it today. Scott Dixon the tour at twenty four miles an hour. College basketball will eive the Skyline Jelly Cropstown Shootout. Give me the date, Friday night, December the fifth at the Sintop Center. Oh, I can't remember that game being on a Friday night. No, they got the first.
Speaker 1: I'm not sure Xavier as a team yet. Does you see have a team?
Speaker 3: I think you see has a well. I think both of them are close to having a team, but I don't know. I I have you given any more nil money to your beloved Musketeers.
Speaker 1: I gave the same amount you gave the North North Northern Kentucky same amount of money. Okay, whatever you give the NKAU, I'll give the xavior. Is that fair?
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's fine.
Speaker 1: Now another thing, I'm glad you brought this up. Trey Hendrickson as a grown man, I think he's thirty thirty one years old, he signs a contract to pay him like fifteen or sixteen million dollars for the season twenty twenty five. It's in black ink. It's on the paper I signed, he says, verbally orally, somebody in management told me, well, if you have a good year, we'll revisit the contract. What good is a verbal utterance over a written contract? Can you tell me that.
Speaker 3: A lot? Well, I mean, you know, if he got it in you know, he got it in writing, that they were going to have, you know, some kind of no, you know, we're going to rework the deal in writing. Then think he's okay. But now it's like now, like, well, if somebody tells you something and if you go away a bit, they just told me that a week ago, or what are.
Speaker 1: You talking about?
Speaker 3: So I don't know, it's gotten it's gotten ugly. It's gotten ugly because you know, he has let people know that Dak Taylor has texted him for, you know, to say that if he's not at the mandatory workout in the next month, who's gonna get fined.
Speaker 1: That's what the contracts, right, right.
Speaker 3: I don't know. I mean, if if I if I was being paid fifteen point eight million dollars to play football, I got my helmet on twenty four to seven and I'm and I'm sleeping in my uniform. But I mean, you know, the guy, you know, I mean, the guy is obviously worth more than that, but I mean, it's it's like you've got to work, you got to get a deal. Deal. Maybe the guy's a.
Speaker 1: Recovery, he's got a deal.
Speaker 3: I know, he's got a deal, got a deal. But I mean, you know, you know he's I said this before that he was going to be the odd man out with the Gabbard days and p Higgins deal. He was he was going to be probably the odd man out of this whole thing. Maybe maybe they'll maybe they'll all of a sudden come to you know, maybe in the in the hour in the twelve hour of the before they go to camp or before the mandatory camp happens, they'll work, they'll be working a deal. Who knows right now, I apparently they're not talking at all. And uh, you know, with him going public yesterday totally boldly.
Speaker 1: Well, Mike Brown done back down a lot. Is that fair to say?
Speaker 3: Uh? That is correct, sir.
Speaker 1: And I don't think he's going to go somewhere else to make about sixteen million bucks. And I'm stuck up on this idea. He says he's a Christian. He says I signed a contract. He says, I agreed to play here twenty twenty five. And now he's saying, you know what, I'm not gonna I want I want more money. I'm not going to honor the contract.
Speaker 3: Right he wants some more green sale of the Salvation. And they're saying, wait a minute, hold it. You know you got a deal. And then but I mean he had he had a fabulous year reader in sack in the in the National Football League and everything else, and then he's the leader of that defense. But you know, I mean I don't know, Willie. I mean, that's that's way beyond obviously my pay grade. That's up around you.
Speaker 1: Well, I would say this, when you sign a deal you'll honor the deal. And if you call upon the Almighty to bless your life, and the Almighty is blessing your life, and you sign a deal, sin, I'm playing football for you for sixteen million dollars in the year twenty twenty five. I'm turning thirty one years old in December. Now, if you want to be nice about it and extend my contract, so be it. But I'm gonna play. I'm gonna honor my word. How about that idea Britton.
Speaker 3: I would say that's a that was that would be fairly successful.
Speaker 1: Yes, no, I don't know what to tell you, but God bless him. I don't know he raised money for Deer Park High School. I have great fight, some positivity for Trey Henderson. But if you sign a deal, a deal deal, A deal is a deal. And now if you want to extend it, I'm gonna play much better this year than I played last year, and then I'll be more valuable to you or someone else. But they don't want to pay I know, thirty million dollars for a thirty three year old pass rusher. And Mike Brown. You know you criticize Mike Brown a lot, but this time Mike Brown is right, he signed a deal.
Speaker 3: Well I agree with I agree with you, and I agree with mister Brown.
Speaker 1: Well you don't agree with Trey Hendrickson.
Speaker 3: Then well then, I mean, you know you said it. I mean, the guy's got a contract already for fifteen million bucks and it's the final year, and that they gave him permission to seek a trade. And nothing happened.
Speaker 9: Nothing.
Speaker 3: No, I mean, did we hear about anything about a trade or a deal deal with him?
Speaker 1: According according to the scribes, the Bengals wanted a first in the second draft choice, which no team's going to pay that good gear.
Speaker 3: So right, nobody, nobody, nobody in the in the in the NFL is going to do that. You know, if he was like if he was like a few years younger, maybe yeah, not not now, I mean, you know, with with his age and all that stuff. But I don't know. I mean, they dissed out the dough for the dough, the ray and the me for mister Hitler for uh te jamarg p Higgins.
Speaker 1: That's it.
Speaker 3: So but I you know, with this, but I don't know it.
Speaker 1: Just I know, your contract unless.
Speaker 3: You I mean, that's like you want more money and saying, hey, I'm making eight million dollars already a year from for the radio. I want him.
Speaker 1: Well, well, what happens if the shoes on the other foot? Well what if the shoes on the foot and the Bengals go and they signed up for fifteen million bucks this year? And the Bengals say, you know, Trey, you had a bad year. In fact, you only had three sacks this year. We want to change the contract. We want to pay you less money. Would Trey Henderson say, okay, you can pay me less money. He would say, no, we got a contract. We got a contract. Get me out of the stort, you know.
Speaker 3: And then the thing, ever, there's two with the Jamar Stewart. I mean they haven't signed him yet. I mean, and he had he had. I think I could play college football and get three and a half or four sacks a year and four years. I mean, come on, I think I could. My my fat rear end could do that in the college football, couldn't you? Well?
Speaker 1: I got a report here segment that the Bengals will open September the seventeen. I'm sorry, Bengals open September seventh in Cleveland at a one o'clock game. That's an unconfirmed report from an insider. Bengals Browns Sunday, one pm, September seventh. Your reaction to that, that's an inside source I have with the Bengals, So.
Speaker 3: That would be that would be the season opener.
Speaker 2: Yeah, in Cleveland, in Cleveland one o'clock, I might.
Speaker 3: As well get the Battle of Ohio ready to go?
Speaker 1: Segment, Get me out there, wonder.
Speaker 3: Who's gonna wonder who's going to quarterback?
Speaker 1: Then Shedur Sanders, I guess, give me out of the stooge reord, give me out. Please, get me out of steuge report.
Speaker 3: Willie and a stay here at the Thrice data at the i MS. We leave you with the immortal words of the stoo report.
Speaker 1: Did you bet on baseball? Yes?
Speaker 8: I did? And uh that was my mistake not coming clean a lot earlier.
Speaker 1: Two words were never spoken. Segment. Thank you very much. Yes, let's continue with more news coming up and so much more at your home of the Reds and Pete Rose News Radio seven hundred wl WI Billy counting into Great America. Today is the night waited for for a very long time. Pete Rose is l now for the Hall of fame, see what happens down the road and the first pitch to night. It's about seven fourteen, but there's about forty thousand, thirty thousand desperate Reds fans wanting to come to the ballpark to honor Pete Rose. It's raining right now, but guess what, it looks much better in the next couple hours. And Karen Forgus is the executive vice president of Your Cincinnati Resident And Karen Forgus, welcome again to the Bill Cunningham Show. And Karen, for those desperate Reds fans that are in their cars coming in getting ready kind of layout, what's going to happen tonight, starting maybe about five o'clock, and how things work out. The weather, by the way, is breaking. It's going to be good.
Speaker 4: Rain.
Speaker 9: It's actually brightened up about ten shades. Since you had me on hold listening to the best bumper music in radio, I might mention, yeah, So okay, here's what's going on. We have sold almost forty four thousand tickets to this thing because it's about Pete, and Pete was about the fans. This was something back in the fall when he passed, his family said the number one thing we want is to do something where we can make sure that the fans know my dad played for them. So that's really what this whole game is about. We just did the dedication over a bold faced park where they named the ball field where Pete grew up in his name, and it was packed, you know, and that was rain. So anyway, there's just a lot of amazing things going on for the ballpark tonight. So if you are a season ticket holder, our gates are going to open at five fourteen for those folks. Everybody else they open at five forty four. Everybody's getting the Pete Rose jersey. We decided to do the road uniform he wore during the Big Red Machine World Series victories in seventy five in Boston, seventy six New York. We did that because he always said he loved having Cincinnati across his chest. Everybody's going to get one of those, So get here when the door's opened, but you don't need to. Everybody's going to get when no one needs to panic. But we do want you in your seats no or no, you know, later than six thirty because that's when we're going to kind of start the pre game. We're going to honor Pete throughout the game, every inning break, we'll be doing things around Pete's career. But the real crown jewel, you'll get to hear from the family. You're going to get to hear from his teammates, people he coached. That's all happening starting at six thirty on field with Marty Brennman as the EMC.
Speaker 1: You know Karen Fogus the Reds, and I said this on the air. No organization does special events like the Reds and it's amazing. And when Pete spoke about these events happening after his death, he said, the main reason I like him to happen is not for me. I'll be dead. Hopefully i'll know what's going on, but i'll be dead. But I want it for my family. And he said my family is an extended family that he wants to come there and let them revel in the glory of their father, their grandfather, their friend, their uncle. So five fourteen pm this afternoon, if you're a season ticket holder, five forty four. If you're not a season ticket holder, but you got to, I'd encourage people to line up early because you got forty thousand people coming.
Speaker 9: Yeah, you do you do? And the first pitch is not until seven fourteen, which is nice, and that gives us plenty of time for all the other stuff. And our fans have done this before when we've done Hall of Fame inductions, they know to get there early to see the pregame program. And in this case, we've got an amazing kind of question and answer. We're going to have Foster and Griffy Senior his teammates. We're gonna have Eric Davis who he coached. We're gonna have Lark and who he coached. We're going to have then Marty asking them questions about Pete. And then we're going to obviously hear from the family, which will be great. Then really cool, right before the anthem, which is going to be sung by fourteen members of West Highs Choir where Pete wearers went to school, we're going to do a fourteen second kind of moment of remembrance, but we're going to do a countdown counting up, so right before the anthem, get everybody's attention, which is going to be really cool. We're going to do that. Then his kids, there's grandkids. Actually that's what the four siblings said. We want all the grandkids to do the first pitch, do the game ball delivery, be captain of the game, which I think is going to be really, really great. And then we will call everybody to attention in the ballpark during the game where we're going to ask everybody here to put their jersey on. And that is going to look amazing. Can you imagine. I mean, it's going to be unbelievable. So it's very celebratory. We've got to your point. We've got red carpet we laid around his statue all the way to the main gates. We've got flowers all around his statue that are celebratory. We've got his name Pete, and big letters and lights outside the gates so people can get a picture. We've got number fourteen on the inside. And there's just going to be stuffed throughout the whole ballpark about Pete. Every inning break about Pete. It's going to be great. Even our players are going to wear a fourteen T shirt for batting practice today. That was rich Stoe. He's like, hey, let's get this done. I want to honor Pete with his So that's all going on today. It's just really about all that is good and right, and with the news coming out yesterday, that just makes it so much nicer. You know, we don't have to deal with that question. You know, what should happen now we know we know he's going to get the consideration he deserves for Cooperstown. And what a thrilling kind of last era to have before we open these gates tonight. It's just awesome.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 1: A couple hours ago I had on the Marty Brannaman to talk about this, and I've read everything, and I can read the last day or two and this is my personal view. It was a pathetic that Major League Baseball waited until he was dead for about eight months before they made him eligible. That is something Pete wanted during the living years, and I knew it. Everyone thought it was coming after the President got involved and met with Rob Manfred and did this and did that, and eight months ago. It would have meant a lot more for Pete during the living years to understand these eligible for the Hall of Fame. Whether it happens in twenty twenty seven or twenty thirty, that's another matter, but at least to be eligible is something. Do you have sense? Karen Fogus of the reds about whether is that something over with forget about or is that something kind of great to you a little bit?
Speaker 9: You know, today at the Boldfaced Park, Fawn Rose took the microphone and the first words out of her mouth was, I got.
Speaker 3: To tell you.
Speaker 9: She said, I have to thank Commissioner Manford. I visited him in December. He cared, he listened, he heard this, he was an advocate of this, He's been working on this. He stayed in touch with us. So if there's no bad blood between the remaining Rose family and the Commissioner of Baseball, then we're going to follow suit, honestly. And the best thing for my chair is the fact that Cooperstown, you know, came out right after you know that there was no hanging chad of what's what does this mean? So I do think that at least we got we got there. We got there, and there's no doubt for forever, you know, it is it's a shame that the you know, the numbers this guy put up as a player. We we'll see in our videos tonight. You know, we talked to all of our current players about Pete. Again. A lot of them think of their age, right, but they know now that they're playing and we talk about his numbers, their jaws are just like, I mean, that's just unbelievable. I mean, I don't know how and my best you know, I couldn't get there, you know, so he he's kind of outside of time. So the fact I'm not going to get hung up on the timing. Let's get our shoulders on the boulder to get him in right, Let's get him in and then look out when that happens, Oh my god.
Speaker 1: Well, if the family is on board, and if Fawn and Pete and Tyme and who am I? I? Who are you? I mean you're not family members. So if the family says they want it, I'm with it one thousand percent. Secondly, Bristol, Tennessee. I've seen on TV some of the NASCAR racing there bumper bumper to bumper, and August the second, there's still tickets available, the Reds are going to play. I think the Atlanta Braves explain what's happening in Bristol, Tennessee on August the second.
Speaker 9: You know, MLB's kind of started this thing where they like to take games and play them in non traditional locations. So Bristol Tennessee. The famous, famous Great NASCAR track sits right squarely in Red Country that overlaps with Braves Country. So they picked our two teams, took our regularly scheduled game, and they're gonna PLoP it right in the middle of that infield. So I got to go down and see it, and I got to tell you it's unbelievable. So as you can imagine, the infield of a NASCAR track is got a little bit of a diffinand it's like a big old bowl, if you will. So starting the first or second week here of June, when they get their last event over in Bristol, MLB is going to be in there with a swat team of people. It's going to take months to level out. They're gonna have to level the infield, They're going to have to construct a durrainable baseball field and have to construct dugouts, clubhouses, and it is going to be unbelievable. And the thing that makes it anybody who's been to Bristol knows this, because if I was a newbie, they have hanging in the middle of their infield, over the center of an outdoor NASCAR facility, a massive three story scoreboard. This it's going to they call Colossus. It's the kind of thing you'd see in the middle of an arena that can hang from a ceiling. They have this massive thing in the middle that is going to that. Therefore, they had to kind of justify the ball field over to one end so that the fly balls don't get caught up in that thing. But it is going to be amazing. So they've already obviously one far end of the seats won't be sold because they're a little too far away from the action. But they've already named you know, they're going to have the big concert in the beginning.
Speaker 3: I mean, it's going to be great.
Speaker 4: I don't know.
Speaker 3: It's just one of those.
Speaker 9: Things that if you like NASCAR, if you dislike baseball, or you like doing something unique and you like driving to the beautiful state of Tennessee, I forgetting your car and go. They're gonna have an outdoor fan you know, experience a fan expo going on. That's gonna open at noon and then the gates will open around five to get inside, and then they'll be the concerts. It's with Tim McGraw that starts at six and the games at seven. Fifteen. I think it's gonna be amazing. It's gonna be amazing.
Speaker 3: And I can't even tell.
Speaker 9: You all the pregame stuff they're gonna do, you know, but it's just one of those things that raised the hats, always raised our hand. We're like field of dreams. We're in whatever wherever you want to send us, we're going. We went to Medxico from Monterey when we played down there, right, So we're always we're we always raise our hand.
Speaker 3: We'll go.
Speaker 1: The thing that's amazing about Tim McGraw says dad was Tug McGraw, and I think he was a teammate of Pete rose Is in nineteen eighty is that correct when they won the World Series?
Speaker 9: He was, he was as a matter of fact, he talked about that. That's gonna be part of what I think they do with all the pre publicity with him, which is fun. And this Saturday, so this weekend when we're playing Cleveland, we're doing a racing night team here because, as seg Man will testify, there's a lot of racing fans on your listening area. Yes, so we've got these we got these awesome cars of mister Red leg and we're giving them away. I mean the kind of things we're gonna do this weekend here. It's gonna be really fun and we're gonna seem it out big, just like we did when we did Star Wars Night. So that's gonna be Anybody who likes racing, come down here and watch us play the Guardian set right, it'll be fun.
Speaker 1: Thousands and thousands of dump trucks filled with dirt to fill in and to rise the level of Bristol Motor Speedway. And then that's gonna take at least two months. August, the second tickets are still available. Sixty well sixty thousand have been sold and there's another maybe twenty thousand to sell, is that correct? Plus you get to see Tim mcbroough. I like it. I love it. I want some more of it. I mean, unbelievable exactly.
Speaker 9: It's just the say you did, why not? It's you know, it's August, it's the dog days of summer. Go go have some fun, all.
Speaker 1: Right once again, Karen Foregus of your Cincinnati Reds. No one does these things better than the Reds. Get their early gates open five fourteen for season ticket holders, five forty four for the rest got it in your seat by six point thirty when the program begins with but Marty's going to be there with Barry Larkin and Griffy Senior and George Foster and Eric Davis on the field and then special things Tither and fro and it's going to be special. The weather's cooperating. Thank god, this is coming through now, and Steve Rawley says by three o'clock it should be completely over with and things are clean and green, and hopefully the Reds can score more than one run. That's the goal tonight.
Speaker 9: Let's go Pete. Let's get him fired up up there with you.
Speaker 1: Please, Karen Forgus, Executive vice President of the Reds, once again, thanks for coming on the Bill Cunningham Show. And we'll do it again. Thank you, Karen, Thanks for you see you. Now let's continue with more unbelievable Bristol Motor Speedway. Thousands of dump trucks to convert Bristol Motor Speedway into a baseball field. August the second and sixty thousand tickets have been sold as whatever the sellout is going to be. Segment tells me, I think there's one hundred thousand seats and by the configuration makes it more diffa we'll go out to play baseball in a Bristol motor speedway similar to the Field of Dreams. You might recall the Reds went to the Field of Dreams in Iowa where Kevin Costner had the movie, and I walked through the cornfield and walk in and play baseball. It's it's incredible. I wish the team between the white lines was as good as the marketing staff of the Cincinnati Reds if they award, If they would be, they'd beat the White Sox. If you can't beat the White Sox the night in tomorrow and not, I'd be shocked. All let's continue with more and if the line becomes available five one, three, seven, four, nine, seven thousand plus at this event August the second, Tim McGraw for an hour's concert ahead of time and can't get much better. I letus continue two twenty three Home of Your Reds News Radio seven hundred WLW.
Speaker 8: When you get into a wall, you never admit you're in a swamp. Don't ever let a picture tell you that you're in a swamp. I would tell people, do you do one of six things when they get into a wall.
Speaker 1: You know what they are? Yeah, okay, no, tell me all right.
Speaker 8: Closer to the pate for the way from the plate, up in the box, back in the box, choke up in the bat more, choke down the bat more, make it heavier, make it lighter. Never change your swing. Your swing got into the big lakes. You change your positioning. Uh in the batter's box. The only way you could jam me is I swung the ball that far inside. But I went into everything. I used to think I could hit the ball inside to right to left field batting left handed better than I could the other way, because you get all your power when you go like that. All right, I can have the same swing that's going to left field, this is going to center field.
Speaker 1: This is pooling.
Speaker 8: Just a difference in more where my hands are, same swing. Wow, pretty simple, Pete, that's church.
Speaker 6: Hello quiet, I'm broadcasting.
Speaker 1: God, you know segment. Maybe possibly, Pete, the last few words could be played in the locker room tonight, because every one of the Reds are in a slump except Dela Cruz. Gonna move up in the box, move back in the box, Choke up a little bit, choke down a little bit, move forward, move back, move up, move down. What's wrong with the Reds hitting segment? I need to know.
Speaker 3: Right now, Willie, that that's everything they need to get it. Wait for the plate, closer to the plate. Up in the box, knack in the box, joke up on the bats, go down on the bat, or do whatever I mean, and one of them do one one of them do the other, and then the other one. Then they all switch. That's what they want to do. But Pete Rose right there, Willie, that is advice for any young hitters. I don't care if it's not hool or whatever face pall it is at college is something he was the proof of hitting. I mean that guy who was I mean that dip. I mean there's no forty six hips, nobody else that knew more about hitting the number fourteen. And they're going to do it tonight. Actually, Willie, it started here at about what twenty minutes live three o'clock at the Holy Grail. They're going to have the seven out of ww A Ciscinnati Tack Resolugent pea party presented by Columbia Hunt dot Com five down there at the Holy Grail, getting ready for the safe game. The night on Rose night if they honor him and a sold out crowd will be on hand, and hopefully the Reds will figure out their hitting for one night, maybe score for over thirteen run and then you know, go back to I don't know. I mean, it's it's the roller coaster affairs. So far will he for this with his baseball team and hitting and scoring runs and trying not to run into each other in the outfields that last night I could have been ugly with with Steer and Li Dayla Cruz and Dayla Cruise almost ran in the cabin luck someday in Houston.
Speaker 1: Well, you know, I'll say if Gordon Veterino was the fundamental coach for the Thomas Funeral Home, and he will tell you, right, Spencer, if you're going to go, go, but if you get in, if you stop and have to go back, guess what get in a pickle, because then you get Benson, who was on first could get the second. During the pickle. Everything Spencer Steer did was wrong. According to Gordon Veterino. They run into each other. It's like the Bad News Bears. They throw to the wrong base. They try to get somebody out at home, allowing the runner to go to second. Fundamentally, they stink. And I'm thinking to this point, Tito Francona maybe saying to the Hall of Famer Marty Brenneman, what the hell did you get me into?
Speaker 3: I don't know whether I think manager Francona to figure it out day by day because he is uh. I don't know. They come up with a different problem almost on a daily paper. But hopefully tonight they can, right yep, And they could beat the White Sucks today tomorrow and then go into the you know, they they got to get some momentum, will either for this weekend because it's the battle at the start of the battle for the Ohio Cup.
Speaker 1: Oh boy Guardians, and you.
Speaker 3: Know he's been on he's been on the winning end of the on the Ohio Cup for the past few years. And the Reds are not.
Speaker 1: The Reds are five games out of first place. I think they've gone two and eight the last ten games. And this is supposedly the soft part of the schedule. If you can't beat the White Sox, hell, you can't beat anybody. The White Sox stink well and well that.
Speaker 3: Was their first win last night on the roads in late April and they're only their fourth away from Johntown and the Reds are zero to five and extra innings. They put a guy at second base for a free run.
Speaker 1: Can't score?
Speaker 3: How does that happen?
Speaker 1: Can't scor happen? Can't score?
Speaker 3: You get a runner at second and it's like, Okay, get him you know, get him over, get him.
Speaker 1: In, get him up, get him over, get him in. I don't know the second let's see.
Speaker 3: Uh the soon reporters of service of your local pem SAR are eating interconditioning dealers Pemstar Quality the Field Buday Plucky by good Sariton par occasions in Northern Kentucky. Thank you, Rockey. The Bengals twenty twenty five schedules than will be released tonight. It's the Aey Door and Window presented by Bill and Adam Webber, NFL schedular release Party Live tonight Smote Justice to Site and Covington on ESPN fifteen thirty. Like you said, Willie, looks like the Frangals are going to open Act Cleveland and the opener and then week two will be the home opener for the Bengals at take Horse Stadium against those Jacksonville Daguarres. But that's only that's only rumors going around.
Speaker 1: Oh that's two and oh big Cleveland. I don't know Sander's going to be the quarterback. One o'clock September the seventh, they beat Cleveland, come home with big Jacksonville. Let's not go oh and three. You know what I'm saying, Can you smell when I'm coming?
Speaker 3: That would be advisable not to go over at the beginning of the season and then work your way out of a hole with a lot of the teams that you know that they're not going to play you know, uh, you know they're they're they're going to play tough games, eating every week, and you know, don't start out to and oh the point that the city will go for dark, well.
Speaker 1: At least not to look go zero in three. And that's a pretty easy schedule. In fact, how about this old fact toy segment. Someone made a list of the NFL teams at thirty two as far as how many miles they're going to travel and all their away games last thirty two they travel eight thousand miles total, and some of the teams travel thirty thousand miles. Everything.
Speaker 3: Minnesota's got to go to Europe flight.
Speaker 1: I don't know what to tell you. I see a crisis everywhere, nothing but a crisis.
Speaker 3: And the left Procer tonight when they are beloved, Orange and Blue on the road at Toronto Left at seven o'clock. Sports thirteen sixty College Basketball, the Skyline, Chilly crossedown Food. Reportedly it's set for Friday, December, fifth year Team Xavier at the Simpok Center Friday night.
Speaker 1: How about that?
Speaker 3: How about that? Well?
Speaker 1: I also, of course I talked to Karen Kraft about Bristol. You know more by listen I do, And she said they're going to fill in the Bristol Motor Speedway spent about nine weeks in construction. They've sold sixty thousand tickets to watch the Reds and the Braves playing Bristol Motor Speedway on Red in August the second. And they have Tim McGraw, whose dad, Tug McGraw that he got sideways with you know, Live like you were dying, was on the team in nineteen eighty where Pete Rose won the World championship with Tony Perez. Correct, Tug McGraw, wasn't he the reliever?
Speaker 3: That's correct? That's correct. Lily and then Happy birthday to the Big Dog and the former Reds manager today number twenty four Tony Perez the faith Dog. When you wanted an RBI, he was the man you wanted it. The plate.
Speaker 1: How old? How old is the Big Dog?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 3: I don't have, but seventy something, probably your closet.
Speaker 1: Eighty gotta be you gotta be eighty something.
Speaker 3: Living down there in Miyami. But the Big Dog is their Happy birthday to the double.
Speaker 1: Let the Big Dog eat. He was born in the May fort Hey. There it is again, he was born May fourteenth, nineteen forty two segment you believe it or not? There that makes him eighty three years old. Eighty three It looks it looking like a million. It looks pretty good.
Speaker 3: I know, So I don't know. I mean, you know, just get a win tonight on Pete Rose Knight willly and make everybody happy and a sold out crowd.
Speaker 1: Lastly, I got some text here from your good friends at WEBN, including Sarah Elise and Kid Chris, taking you to task for saying that Trey Hendrickson should get a contract extension when he's already signed. This year he put his blood and black ink on a piece of paper, well represented by agents and lawyers, that I will pay I will play in twenty twenty five for like sixteen million dollars for the Bengals. I give my word, I'm going to do it. And then as a Christian man, he turns his back. Was like Jesus Christ with the money changers and said, I'm not going to play, even though I promised to pay to play this year for sixteen million dollars. Why do you defend Trey Hendrickson.
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 1: That's no answer.
Speaker 3: You asked me question. I'm kind of disappointed. I don't have a Peinte Rose whiz from you know who. I don't want to bring up his dame, but you know, I'm surprised you don't have to answer seventy five questions to prove that I'm a big Pete Rose fan. Today.
Speaker 1: Well, all I can say I have.
Speaker 3: Bruce Poaching, Steve Rogers, Jim Hickman. Hit that ball that knocks the Pete in at an All Star game. Carmelo Melo, Mello, Carmelo Marquitez. Field of the ball forty one nine maybe two out in the amlefield and the left all.
Speaker 1: Right, here's the question from the wild Man for you.
Speaker 3: Great.
Speaker 1: It was a Crosley field and they were playing the Uh the first hit that Pete Rose had. It was a crosley field. What team did they play? Who was on the mound, and what kind of hit did Pete Rose get? That's from the wild Man.
Speaker 3: What it's like three and one? Now it is?
Speaker 1: Come on, come on? What is it?
Speaker 3: I look at it?
Speaker 1: What is I know that automatically it was Pittsburgh Pirates. The picture was Bob Friend and he hit a triple.
Speaker 3: That's what I was going to say.
Speaker 1: You were gonna say, Bob Friend of the Pittsburgh Pirates.
Speaker 3: Really, yep, yep, I was at a triple.
Speaker 1: That's true. And then what was his last hit? Who did he get his last hit off of? And uh what team did he get to? It was nineteen eighty six with the Reds.
Speaker 3: Uh. Well, I had that question yesterday. I'm not receding answered.
Speaker 1: All right, But who was catching when pe Rose got forty one ninety two at Riverfront Stadium? That's correct, Bruce Coach, who did pretty well managing, I think correct.
Speaker 3: And his last out was a strikeout by Goustsy.
Speaker 1: That's correct too, but wild Man, I knew Bob Friend April the ninth, nineteen sixty three triple at Pittsburgh.
Speaker 3: Car Yeah, everybody knows that.
Speaker 1: Everybody. That was an easy one. I'm surprised you, miss, I'm surprised a right segment. Where are you now? Where are you now?
Speaker 3: By the way, I made it to paint, so Willie and I'm heading home.
Speaker 1: How how was carbration day at the speedway.
Speaker 3: The Indianapolis Motors Speedway of Knights and Sunshine. It's dry after the few monks rain this morning, there was delayed everything for about five four or five hours. But they're on the track and then they're getting ready for qualifying this under this weekend.
Speaker 1: Well, the other thing is the weather here looks pretty good. You're about thirty forty miles west of here. Is the still raining in Batesville.
Speaker 3: No, it's beautiful sunshine and blue sky here at the Faithsville McDonald.
Speaker 1: In fact, in fact, in about an hour is going to be uh river front. I mean, a great American ballpark's going to be bathed in sunshine. The weather's going to look great. And once again Karen Craft said, if you're a season ticket holder, which I'm sure you are, gates open at five fourteen. If you're not a season ticket holder, gates open at five forty four, according to Karen Craft Karen Fororgus, and then you've got to be a receipt by six point thirty for all the festivities involving Marty, Barry Senior Foster and Eric Davis. Is that correct?
Speaker 3: Amen to that baby, that's that's that. We're going to carry that.
Speaker 1: Live and give me out of the Stude's report. We have, of course of business special tomorrow. I will not be with you. The weather looks serviceable until Thursday night segment. Give me out of the stooge report.
Speaker 3: We'll be in honor of a beautiful day here at the crime Statiu. Rose. We think about you every day, every minute, every hour. You're the greater. We leave you with the immortal word of the report.
Speaker 5: He levels about a couple of times, shall kicks and he fires.
Speaker 1: Rose wains. We learn Dawn.
Speaker 5: His number forty one ninety two, A live drive single into loft center piel a clean basin and in this pandemonium here at River Prince Stadium, the fire works ex clothing over ahead. The Cincinnati dugout has emptied the applause continues.
Speaker 6: Out of baton, Rose.
Speaker 5: Is completely encircled by his teammates at first base. Bobby Brown on the San Diego is coming all the way from the third phase, dugout to personally congratulate Pete Rose, and the kind of out pouring evagulation that I don't think you'll ever see an athlete get any more of little Pete fighting his way through the crowd and Pete being hoisted on the shoulders. I'm a couple of his teammates, Tony Perez and Dave Concepcion, the last two of the Old Guard from the Big Red Machine days of the seventies.
Speaker 1: Segment September the eleventh used to mean glory now kind of connotes something a little bit different. But it was unbelievable the journey that Pete Rose made from September the eleventh, nineteen ninety five, until he laid on his prison cont in October of nineteen ninety trying to listen on a transistor radio the final out when his team, the nineteen ninety Reds beat the Oakland A's the Bash Boys. He was lying in a federal prison and staring at the season in the dark. You talk about the highest of highs and the lowest the low segment. Pete Rose experienced it.
Speaker 3: That's for sure, Willie, that's for cure.
Speaker 1: All right, we got to run segment. See you soon and God bless you and God bless the family of Pete Rose. Thank you, segment.
Speaker 3: See you later.
Speaker 1: Let's continue with more of the festivities. Continue now from the Holy Grail with all the stars will be there, including Eddie the Rock and the segment's good friend wile Man Walker with more questions for him on news radio seven hundred WLW.