Speaker 1: Heyto five the fifty five karase De Talk Station. Happy Friday, Eve, Great time to be tuned into the fifty five Parassee Morning Show, which would argue it always is. But I am pleased to welcome to the fifty five Fatasey Morning Show. Someone the many of my listeners probably already know Dennis Neil, Award winning journalist, media strategist, advisor to senior executives. A lot of my listeners maybe listened to his What's Bugging Me? Podcast. He was formerly the anchor at CNBC and Fox Business Network. After serving as man My Favorite Newspaper, senior editor at The Wall Street Journal, as well as managing editor of Forbes. He helped write The Wealth Management of Wall Street Insider on the Dirty Secrets of Financial Advisors and How to Protect Your Portfolio. Author of the book we're going to be talking about today, the leadership genius of Elon Musk. Welcome to the Morning Show, Dennis Neil. It is a distinct pleasure to have you on my program.
Speaker 2: Same here, Brian, and thanks so much for that very loquacious.
Speaker 3: Kind intro.
Speaker 1: You're well deserving of it. You do great work and you have been for a long time and a little jealousy on my part because I dearly love the Wall Street Journal, and I'm so glad it's one of the few papers that's still in business and speaking about business, Elon Musk, the wealthiest guy on the planet and immune from the class warfare arguments. He's a minimalist. He doesn't own all kinds of stuff and things. I mean, you see these billionaires and there are five hundred million dollar yachts floating around the world, and you're thinking like, wow, uh okay, but that's not Elon Musk. He almost he like thrives on minimalism and that's part of his business strategy and what made him so successful.
Speaker 2: Am I right, Yeah, You're totally right. That's a very good ie on your part. You know, my book offers eleven lessons of Elon that fuel his success and that maybe we could use.
Speaker 3: To build a better life.
Speaker 2: And lesson number two is reduce, reduce, reduce.
Speaker 3: And that's what he's doing a doge.
Speaker 2: That's what he did at Twitter, cutting eighty percent of staff in about two weeks. That's what he does in the Tesla car where he tells engineers to take out so many parts, reducing it that it can't run.
Speaker 3: They got to put something back in.
Speaker 2: So the Tesla has about ten thousand parts in the ford has I think it's thirty or forty thousand parts in a ford and so that runs across. He sold all his homes, six homes, for like one hundred and twenty million dollars.
Speaker 3: And he believes in mind with lifestyle.
Speaker 2: At the same time, once that guy moved into mar A Lago for a few weeks with Trump, I imagine Trump was wondering, is he ever going to leave? He does stay in the lap of luxury with friends.
Speaker 1: Well, with friends, they've invited him into their multimillion arm dollar homes, not his. He lives in a tiny house, doesn't he is?
Speaker 3: Does he owner?
Speaker 2: It's this forty thousand dollars foldable house that he rents that SpaceX bought from this company that specializes in it, and it's a you know, it's just a tiny little thing. And when he's in town for SpaceX launches and stuff, he'll stay there.
Speaker 1: Well, and as you you point out in the book, he adheres to this eighty twenty rule. The perception is that eighty percent of the work done by twenty percent of the staff, which he proved when he acquired X and in his motivation for acquiring it, I don't think was to make himself any better or anything, but it was in the name of freedom of speech, which he holds dearly. But getting rid of that.
Speaker 2: Was the most amazing thing, Brian, because this guy's an adopted American.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 2: You know that a third of America, Americans, they believe that hate speech is so bad that it's more important to prevent hate speech and stop it than it is to have free speech. And another third of Americans not sure. That's terrible. But Elon Musk because he is an adopted American, he has the zeal of the convert right, and he loves the First Amendment and lesson six in my book, it's one lesson per chapter. Is free speech is everything stand up and be heard.
Speaker 3: Not enough of.
Speaker 2: Us stood up and pushed back when the nation was tilted toward craziness for the last four years or even longer if you want to trace back to Obama in the eight years there and free speech, and he really believes in it, and it's cost him dearly. You know, no other entrepreneur Brian puts billions of dollars of his own money into a new venture. That's that's for other people to do that you use other people's money. But he took I think it was twenty five billion of the forty four billion he paid for Twitter came out of his own pocket. And it was down sixty percent after a year, and all the media said.
Speaker 3: He's destroying it. And today don't you think it's.
Speaker 2: One of the most important media platforms in the world.
Speaker 3: It is.
Speaker 1: And we just had a terrible illustration of the of why you I mean, we need to protect free speech, and all speech is protected in the United States, including idiot Nazis on a bridge and even Deeugh here locally, and you know, you got to defend the rights of individuals to peaceably congregate as well as spread their message. But the great thing about that is when you have free speech and people espouse craziness, you can call them out on it. And the left, in their right their constant narrative that they're right and all of these woke ideological rules are right. And that's the the only thing that can be projected prevents alternative thought from being interjected into the exchange. So logic and reason can rule today, So you got to put up with stupid messages. But that's where you find out where the stupid people.
Speaker 2: Are exactly, And instead of trying to limit and muzzle bad speech, simply drown it out with more of your own, really really.
Speaker 3: Good speech, you know.
Speaker 2: I mean, it's just awful that our politicians on both sides of the parties. You know, there's the Twitter files. I was a journalist with more than thirty years and the biggest scandal I've ever seen in my life. Yeah, and the Twitter files, And I wonder, where the hell is the media?
Speaker 3: Why aren't they more upset about this?
Speaker 2: I did more columns on the Twitter files and the scandal of government suppression of the First Amendment rights of thousands and millions of people. I did more stories than the New York Times in Washington Posts combined. And then you see what they're doing with dough and you see millions of dollars in payments to journalistic outfit.
Speaker 3: I think they said there's something like six.
Speaker 2: Thousand journalists getting some kind of money from USAID. And you suddenly wonder where you bought off? Is that why you said nothing didn't care? No, they didn't care because it was conservative speech. But the Trump administration Brian, they requested during their reign the fifty five hundred accounts be silenced. So Republicans and Democrats alike will stifle speech if we let them, if they let them.
Speaker 3: Elon Musk has just blown a huge hole in that effort to stifle speech.
Speaker 1: Dennis Near, the author the leadership genius of Elon Musk, I think, if I could read the concept of this book correctly, you wrote it not just for everybody, but it seems that you wrote it for entrepreneurs, business people, folks that are trying to improve the function of their own business and bring about some greater success for themselves.
Speaker 2: Bingo, absolutely, because I really think even though he operates at a huge scale, there are lessons you can learn. You know, always better on yourself and double down. He kept doing that again and again and again. It's better to launch and burn, yeah, than it is never to launch at all. Five one failure, yeah. So there's a lot of advice there for anybody trying to build a better career or build a company.
Speaker 1: Well, and I'm glad you brought up it's better to launch than burn and burn than never to launch at all, because I was going to ask you about that Elon Musk. You know, the rockets always didn't always fly, you know, sometimes you send one up and it crashes and burns to the ground. Now, some might take experience Shodenfreuda because they don't like Elon Musk for some reason. But he always seemed to take it and stride. He would chuckle about it and use that as a learning opportunity.
Speaker 3: Exactly.
Speaker 2: You know, you have you know, I had that devastating I was fired from Fox Business Network and fifteen minutes notice, security.
Speaker 3: Guard escorted me out out of the office. You'll pick up we'll ship your stuff to you. I mean, it was devastating.
Speaker 2: It was as if I'd slept with the president's wife or something at the network. And how do you even recover from that? You know, it's kind of tough. And I forgot where I was going with that, Brian, in.
Speaker 3: Terms of the outcome that came out of that. Actually I forgot that point. Well go ahead, you didn't stop.
Speaker 1: You had a bump in the road, you know, And I tell you, in my life, the worst things that happened to me have turned out to be the most beneficial things.
Speaker 3: You're like, you know.
Speaker 1: I dated this girl in college and I thought I was in love with her. It didn't work out, and law and behold, I ended up meeting my now there will be thirty three years in June wife in law school, and I was like, man, I look back, and I think, how miserable would I be as a human being had that quote relationships quote unquote worked out.
Speaker 2: We have to learn that even in the most horrible things that happened to us in our lives, good things can come out of them.
Speaker 3: When I got escorted.
Speaker 2: Out of that building, I met a few days later with a CEO and I told him, the thing is, I feel awful because I feel like I failed. And he said to me, you haven't failed, you learned. And that's exactly how Elon looks at every failure.
Speaker 3: You know, the space that's took, you know, a couple dozen explosions.
Speaker 2: Covered heavily in the press, laughing at him, making fun of them, and every time they gained thousands of new insights and made hundreds of changes to the next iteration. Just fix it on a fly, keep going, keep going, and just I love that about him. Yes, the guy could have left after his first twenty five million dollar score, and he just kept going.
Speaker 1: He kept going, and now that's the last best hope for those stranded astronauts. Apparently we need to rely on Elon Musk to get him back because apparently Boeing's not capable of doing it. Now, I want you to dive on into this because some people may not know this about Elon Musk, but his philosophy of life drives a lot of his decision making. And so let's talk about this. All may be fake, so just go for it.
Speaker 3: Yes, I love this part.
Speaker 2: And the publisher, the wonderful Harper Collins Broadside Books, kind of warned me, you know, you may not want to lead with.
Speaker 3: That because it's so weird.
Speaker 2: But Elon truly believes I think he truly believes this. That the odds are billions to one in favor of the idea that right now, even as we speak, we are living inside one or more massive computer simulations operated by someone else, somewhere else.
Speaker 3: Maybe in another time.
Speaker 2: And at the more I started to look into this, the more I came to things that it's actually quite plausible. Yes, exactly like the matrix. I mean, if we look at how pong and this is the explanation.
Speaker 3: Elon uses me, look.
Speaker 2: At pong, two little paddles and a ball and a black screen against it. I played against and that was only fifty years ago. And you look at where we are now, where you're down in the three d Mays, and it looks so super realistic. The thought that ten thousand years from now you could have a simulation so good you don't even know it. That's entirely believable. But then you think that the Earth is almost four billion years old. That means you have something like four hundred thousand different sets of ten thousand years. Well, really, in four hundred thousand different chances of ten thousand years, we've never made it to that advanced thing.
Speaker 3: It's only in the next ten thousand years that we'll get there. I don't know.
Speaker 2: Maybe it is a little simulated, but then what it does for us is if you think it might be plausible, well.
Speaker 3: Then you live louder, you love out loud, You.
Speaker 2: Take that job that you're too afraid to take because there's too much risk there. You say that thing in a meeting because you're feeling like everyone's going in the wrong direction, because you no longer are going to stay clients because what the heck, it all may be a game anyway.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's a real wild way of looking at it, you know. And it's one of my favorite quotes. And it's interesting because I just put it up the other day because one of my friends had said, what's your favorite quote? I said, twenty years from now, you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did. So throw off the bow line, sail away from the safe harbor, catch the trade winds in your sales, explore, dream discover from the famous Mark Twain. And I've kind of tried to live by that philosophy of my wife, and it sounds to me like Elon Musks as well, and I have before we part company. That fascinating conversation and just a fascinating man he is. And I appreciate you writing this book as a you know, sort of a guideline for folks in business, most notably, but going back to Starlink and how massive the growth is. And I think that desire to build this independent satellite network also springs from his embracing freedom and liberty. You know, Verizon or the government might flip the switch and shut your cell phone off. But there's Elon Musk with a backup, sure enough.
Speaker 3: And you know, I think he sees a synergy.
Speaker 2: Among these businesses that the rest of us don't see, you know, the Startlink satellite network. Brian guides the Tesla cars right, and then his EXAI engine ends up ingesting all of the data from Tesla cars. It's able to ingest the six thousand tweets put up every second on the X platform and get smarter and smarter and smarter. He's got the Olympus robot inside Tesla where one day you might be able to take an arm from the Olympus robot, attach it to an antitee and with the brain chip company's got neuralink, you know, the antute could operate the arm just by thinking about it. And you know we think that oh he wants to chip for QUADRUPLEG. No, No, he thinks in twenty years, thirty years, millions of us well walking around with these chips in our heads to talk faster to AI. So it all fits together, and it's just an incredible vision that really he has no right to have it all.
Speaker 3: It's just absolutely crazy.
Speaker 2: And yet if you were playing a video game, you'd say, well, what the heck, why not?
Speaker 1: Yeah, all that frightens the hell out of me. Though, I got to be honest with you, Dennis, I.
Speaker 2: Like be sad if it were a game, you know, I feel like this is life, this is real.
Speaker 3: Tomorrow we'll right here, you know. Yeah.
Speaker 1: I couldn't agree more on that component, but just the idea that all that data is being gathered up, and I'm a privacy fan. I hate the hoovering up of data. That's why I recommend my listeners data hell away from TikTok because that just benefits the Chinese Communist Party and they're hoovering up of data. But at least knowing who Elon Musk is and this doesn't offer me is much comfort. But he seems to be wanting that data to advance and help us, as opposed to use against us, which is the antithesis of what tiktoks huge difference. And now he's being demonized like crazy by the media, by the Democrats, by Rhino Republicans, and suddenly he's publican Enemy number one, even more so than Trump, and they're just trying to take him down. What are they so afraid of why don't we all step back and just take a gander and watch what this guy does. I mean, you know, if it is a simulation, you don't make a simulation for boring outcomes, right.
Speaker 3: Elon has another lesson Lesson eleven.
Speaker 2: My book is is you know, the most the most likely outcome in life is the most entertaining, one of the most ironic and opposite of what you expected.
Speaker 3: And look how entertaining life is. Ventilately, Oh my goodness, this it has.
Speaker 1: We live in interesting times and he makes them far more interesting. And he's the best troll on the Internet when it comes to cowing out his foes at Dennis Neil a real pleasure having on the Morning Share. Thank you for spending time by listeners to me this morning. Your book is now available on my blog page fifty five krsey dot com the leadership genius of Elon Musk. If you're a business person, get a copy, but everyone's welcome to read it and learn by it. Thank you for putting it on pay for Dennis, It's been a real pleasure.