Speaker 1: This is Gary and Shannon and you're listening to KFI AM six forty, the Gary and Shannon Show on demand on the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 2: I've been to Dallas. I've never been to the site of the assassination. That would be interesting.
Speaker 1: You could pretend you're the third gunman on the Grassy Knoll and dodge around a bit.
Speaker 2: Dodge if you will. I don't know, I don't know if I'm not fascinated. You're a little fascinated by crime, but I'm not. I don't want to go relive it.
Speaker 3: You don't have to relive it.
Speaker 1: It's just kind of fascinated that you would be standing in a place where things happened.
Speaker 2: Well, when I was a reporter in Seattle and they finally caught the Green River Killer and they got Gary Ridgeway, and one of the things that they were doing was they had best basically set him up in an office in South Seattle and they were interviewing him, trying to tie up all the loose ends, because his death toll was was like many of these serial killers, probably higher than what he was ever charged for. And one of the things that he was doing was helping them. He was trying to remember where he put the bodies. And there were a couple of times when the Sheriff's Department and other law enforcement agencies would take reporters out to the scene of where they were looking, and that was enough that that was not I mean, the idea that that, even if it was twenty five years ago, that this guy had dumped the woman's body in that area.
Speaker 4: Did not sit well.
Speaker 1: I covered the worst mass deadliest mass shooting in Orange County history. It was one of my last stories as a reporter before I started anchoring for John and Ken, and it affected me a great deal at the time and still has. And I drive by the place where it happened all the time, and.
Speaker 4: It's still Salon Maritime. Yes, still just.
Speaker 1: As chilling, and a friend of mine recommended, and it's exceptional a restaurant that is right next to that location because it stayed that Salon has kept the name and everything as a showing of strength. But there's a restaurant next door and it's exceptional. I mean, it is one of the best meals I've ever had. But I can't go because the whole time I'm sitting there reliving reporting on that In all the details and knowing exactly what happened and the stories behind it, I just can't do it.
Speaker 3: It makes me ill, you know.
Speaker 1: And every time I drive by, I drive by, and I drive by the liquor store parking lot where I had to park because the whole scene was cordoned off with the crime scene tape. And I remember the guy who ran the liquor store running out and telling me that he was going to have the car towed because I wasn't allowed to park there.
Speaker 3: I remember starting crying. It was like a whole thing.
Speaker 1: It's just like this, this moment sealed in time. I would never want to but but we have personal connections to those two stories, like in terms of covering them, in terms of like a Jean Breonne Ramsey thing that I'm far removed in true it might have more allure, I guess, but even I don't know. It's really sick though too. The whole time i'd be there, I'd be looking around at all the people that signed up for this, going, what the hell's wrong with you?
Speaker 3: Anyway? We'll get into that coming up in True Crime Tuesday.
Speaker 4: It's time for Swamp one. I'm a politician, which means I'm a cheat and a liar, and when I'm not kissing babies, I'm stealing their lollipops. Yeah, we got the real problem is that our leaders are done.
Speaker 3: The other side never quits.
Speaker 4: So what I'm not going anywhere so.
Speaker 3: That you train the swap, I can imagine what can be and be unburdened by what has been.
Speaker 4: You know, Americans have always been going a president. But they're not stupid.
Speaker 2: A political flunder is when a politician actually tells the truth.
Speaker 4: Have the people voted for you with not swamp watch? They're all well. We mentioned that.
Speaker 2: A short time ago, Carolyn Leavitt, the new Levitt, the new White House Press Secretary, held her first official press briefing of the second term, dominated by the pause on federal grants and loans that will start this afternoon. President Trump's administration says it's doing an across the board ideological review of its spending, which has caused some confusion and some panic among some organizations. They said this was necessary to ensure that all funding does comply with the executive orders intended to underdo, sorry, intended to undo a bunch of steps on transgender rights, environmental justice, diversity, equity and inclusion efforts. Also said that federal assistance to individuals, and she kept repeating this direct federal assistance to individuals will not be affected, including Social Security, Medicare, food stamps, and programs like that. Although this freeze, you're talking about the potential for it to be millions of dollars at least temporarily.
Speaker 1: Jim Acosta is leaving CNN. This is a big deal. Longtime reporter and anchor, Jim Acosta, CNN newsroom anchor. You know him from going toe to toe with Trump during the first administration. He was a thorn in the side in that press room. And this is curious. I mean, CNN did announce days ago around two hundred layoffs, predominantly in TV. They're trying to revamp their digital operations. The shakeup of the broadcast schedule would have replaced his ten am hour with Wolf Blitzer and Pamela Brown's Situation Room. He says, after giving all of this some careful consideration and weighing in an alternative timeslot that CNN offered me, I've decided to move on. Was this CNN ousting Jim Acosta because of his bad relationship with Trump in an effort to claw back some of the people that would turn their back on CNN forever in light of the new administration, the renewed tracks administration. That's because CNN is I think that's the bigger version, that's the bigger concern. They've got to do something. I mean, is it maybe them moving a little towards not you know, well listen breaking him over the coals at every turn.
Speaker 2: One of the most popular viral creators, I guess is the right term or star of some of the viral moments that's come from CNN lately is Scott Jennings, who is a pretty conservative guy who shows up on these CNN panels and those are the those are the clips that exist on Twitter, you know the next morning, is him saying something that that makes the more liberal people on their panels upset?
Speaker 4: Whatever? I mean?
Speaker 2: So, I don't know, it's a I don't know exactly what the reason is and where Jim Acosta ends up. This is not a Don Lemon thing. This is not a Don Lemon issue because Jimsta had a much better reputation I think than did dun Lemon. California Department of Water Resources says the military did not come into California and turn on the water. And the reason they had to say that was because lately, yesterday President Trump on truth Social said, the United States military just entered the great state of California and under emergency powers turned on the water flowing abundantly from the Pacific Northwest. And beyond the days of putting a fake environmental argument over, the people are over enjoy the water California. California Department of Water Resources had to come out and put a post also on Twitter that said the military did not enter California. The federal government restarted federal water pumps after they were offline for maintenance for three days. And again there's still no valve that exists somewhere between California.
Speaker 4: And the Great Pacific Northwest. Despite what the President says.
Speaker 1: We talked about AI and deep seek and China's ability to use cheaper chips computer chips to develop as just as well as we have advanced AI technologies. We had asked AI to create us a Christmas play this year, just to see what would happen, and we finally kind of dug into it and found what it created.
Speaker 3: Because we did our own that Gary wrote.
Speaker 1: But we'll get into what AI thought we should have presented you in the twelve o'clock hour.
Speaker 3: It's called the Christmas Wish by AI.
Speaker 4: It's really it's really pretty goofy. I have to go through and.
Speaker 1: Check it south would you use Well, let's get to this, yeah, side hustles. More and more people in America are getting into the side hustle business. Why well, rising costs, I've got to I've got the extra time, I can pick up something extra. Let's just get it done and help the bank account.
Speaker 2: There's a bunch of different places that you could go to find I mean just the websites alone. Side hustle School, Side Hustle Nation twenty seven Best side hustle ideas to make five hundred bucks in your spare time.
Speaker 4: This is.
Speaker 2: I think it actually coincides with a story that we had done before regarding never spenders. The people who say that they're going to cut down on what they things that they spend way too much money on, including clothes or makeup or I don't know what do you call manicures and pedicures and things like that, And a side hustle is a way for you to bring in more money, but it doesn't change your circumstance necessarily if you're continuing to spend.
Speaker 1: Workers with more than one job hit the highest level since twenty nineteen. That was last reach during the Great Recession. Here are some examples. A Google contractor who sells cell phones at Walmart. An English teacher who moonlights at a baseball stadium, maybe concessions. An accountant who sells eggs and chickens farmed off her land.
Speaker 3: I would totally do that, and I would buy those two.
Speaker 1: I mean, I would buy chickens, but I would buy the chickens eggs. A taco bell manager picking up shifts at KFC.
Speaker 2: There's enough out there, and it's flexible enough depending on what kind of schedule you have at your first job, your primary job. Right if you work a regular nine to five something like that kind of job, there are opportunities for you to go out and do things in the evenings or on the weekends if you want.
Speaker 4: It's out there and it's available to you.
Speaker 1: In some states, the percentage of workers with multiple jobs was roughly double the national average. Those states Wisconsin, North Dakota, and Hawaii. Now multiple job holders spoke with the Washington Post, and they said that doing this came at a cost. What was the cost sleep, mental health, and of course time spent with their families. High school English teacher and Prince George's County, Maryland says she sleeps four or five hours on nights. She sells merchandise at National Parks in d C. The Taco Bell manager who moonlights at KFC says that when he is able to get his desired hours at KFC, rarely.
Speaker 3: Sees his kids.
Speaker 4: Now.
Speaker 1: Is this used to be like a fun little story right the side hustle of you know, you're doing something fun on the side or what have you, or something you know, maybe social media, maybe you're making money off social media something like that. This seems to be like the cost of everything is up and people are having a hard time making ends meet with their one job, so they're having to find a second job.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I mean the hustle part of it. It goes beyond just getting that second job. I mean your point of or your example of the Taco Bell also doing KFC, those are very similar jobs.
Speaker 4: You're doing it in two different places.
Speaker 2: If you're doing let's say you're the Taco Bell manager, and you want to start flipping items for profit. You buy low and sell high. Whatever it might be. You spend time a goodwill or yard sales or a state sales, or flea markets or Facebook marketplace or something like that. That takes a lot of energy and effort unless you're really good at finding those, you know, diamonds in the rough that you could then turn around and make some big money off of. You could freelance your skills, you could sell spreadsheets. You could do a local service business, so you could do a ride share driver thing. You could be somebody who's in charge of vending machines, vending machine resupply companies and things like that.
Speaker 4: All of those could turn into larger things.
Speaker 2: It's just a matter of the strain on you as a human being, strain on your health, strain on your family life. Hopefully not a strain on your finances, because that's why you got that second gig in the first place.
Speaker 4: But what else would you do? Just don't say deli where I.
Speaker 1: Would probably try to get a job working in the NFL as a second gig or that is my second gig, okay.
Speaker 2: But then what after that? I'm looking for your third and fourth gig, keep you busy.
Speaker 3: Hmm.
Speaker 1: I don't really have any other sciritable skills. I mean, I guess I could. You know, I would totally work at like a Jersey Mix or Jimmy John's or any of those places, because I do love making sandwiches. I really have an affinity for it.
Speaker 4: You're good at it.
Speaker 3: I'm pretty damn good at it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's what I hear.
Speaker 3: It's very rare that I can say that about anything.
Speaker 2: When we come back, we'll talk about how bosses are firing.
Speaker 4: Gen Z.
Speaker 2: Listen to gen Z. It's time to put up or shut up. You want to you want to get some good credibility here.
Speaker 4: You're going to need.
Speaker 2: To work on that reputation that it's going to mean showing up to workplaces.
Speaker 4: A game.
Speaker 3: Ok wow, Okay.
Speaker 1: Stories we are following for you today while all the stories like we do every day, the White House says President Trump sending a loud and clear message on immigration. Press Secretary Caroline Levitt highlighted the executive actions in the first week in back in office. I should say. She read out a list of some of the illegal immigrants who have been detained during raids.
Speaker 4: This week. Some of the worst of the worst.
Speaker 1: These are not people who are criminals because they came here illegally. These are people who came here illegally and then committed heinous crimes.
Speaker 3: These are people that we've had a.
Speaker 1: Way to get them out of the country just practicing basic law and order, and we have shielded them from being sent out of the country because I have no idea, I have no idea why it can't be just feeling.
Speaker 3: We're not talking about a grandmother of six.
Speaker 1: We're not talking about the young couple who came here to better the lives for their children. We're talking about rapists and murderers and the worst of the worst who are also here illegally but have been kept safe because.
Speaker 2: They're here illegally, hiding behind others, my God, hiding behind the people that do come here simply looking for a better life. And Vidia dropped seventeen percent yesterday, of course, fueled by investor concern about the Deep Seek artificial intelligence startup out of China, and video shares tumbled seventeen percent yesterday. It's the biggest drop since March of twenty twenty five hundred and eighty nine billion dollars in market cap lost yesterday.
Speaker 4: Now in Vidia has recovered a bit.
Speaker 2: It's back up about seven percent as of right now. The NASDAK in general has come back and is in positive territory by about two percent.
Speaker 4: Both the Dow and the S.
Speaker 2: And P five hundred also up in the positive territory so far today.
Speaker 1: Well, with each new generation comes a different way of interacting at work. Every generation is a little bit different when it comes to what they bring to the workplace, and sometimes you have to just change the way you do things to accommodate for them, because in this day and age, it's not it's not vice versa, is it. I mean, it seems like at least a handfull of years ago, we know some people in management who had to go to special training to learn how to deal with the kids coming out of college and how to make them feel safe and seen in all of the things. Well, now it seems like could the pendulum be swinging the other way. Fortune magazine has an article out about bosses firing gen Z grads just months after hiring them and that there are several things that need to change. They are cutting ties with these young workers who are not up to scratch just months after they hired them.
Speaker 2: Yeah, About six in ten say they have already fired some of the gen Z workers that they hired just out of college in just the last few months. Intelligent dot com is a website dedicated to helping professionals navigate the future of work young professionals, specifically, said they surveyed one thousand different bosses around the country.
Speaker 1: One in six bosses say they're hesitant to hire recent college grads again. One in seven have admitted that they may avoid hiring them altogether next year.
Speaker 2: Three quarters of the company's surveyed said some or all of their recent graduate hires were unsatisfactory in some way.
Speaker 1: All right, so what's wrong with these people? What's wrong with the young people? Well, lack of motivation or initiative. That that is the reason why things didn't work out with their new hire, according to fifty percent of the leaders.
Speaker 2: They also point to gen Z being unprofessional organized, having poor communication skills the top reasons for having to fire these people.
Speaker 1: I think poor communication skills is so key. I've told this story before and I'll tell it again. When I went to Chico State was making the decision and we were on that tour with our parents and prospective students and things like that. One of the talking points of the tour was the tour guide saying, Chico State has the highest percentage of people getting hired right out of graduation.
Speaker 3: Why do you think it is? Do you think we're the brightest minds? No? But it's a social campus.
Speaker 1: It's where you learn how to talk to people and communicate, and that is so key when you enter the workforce no matter what you do, being able to talk to you don't have to be a social butterfly or the life of the party, but just being able to communicate with people and talk to people is so key in moving ahead.
Speaker 2: And if you're not the social butterfly, life of the party person, your friend is and you deal with them, or your maybe your adversary is, and you have to deal with that. I mean, that is a layer that is not I don't think Chico State or schools like that go out of their way to promote that, but that is a layer that is just it's just there.
Speaker 4: It just exists. I don't on some campuses that others don't.
Speaker 3: Think they promoted it.
Speaker 1: It was just kind of the social lifestyle that that campus was and this was a byproduct of learning how to communicate with people and different people from different areas just better.
Speaker 2: The bosses say they've struggled with the gen z's tangible challenges, things like being late to work, being late to meetings. They're not wearing office appropriate clothing, They're using language that's not appropriate for the workplace, not looking at you.
Speaker 3: I've been good today. I haven't said anything today.
Speaker 4: Now, they said.
Speaker 2: More than half of hiring managers have come to the conclusion that some college graduates are simply unprepared for the world of work.
Speaker 1: Twenty percent say they can't handle the workload. They say colleges know that students are wholly unprepared for the workforce.
Speaker 3: Of course they do.
Speaker 1: It's the college campuses that have fostered this whole weird, for lack of a better term, snowflake situation we find ourselves in. When colleges started putting together safe spaces and you know, circles of touching and feeling and tickling, like what no college is where you go where you start learning that you're kind of on your own. You've got the training wheels on, but you're kind of still figuring out the bumps on the road and all of that. Like you should be a little uncomfortable. It should be like the next step in your development. College shouldn't be as safe as freaking kindergarten.
Speaker 4: It wasn't.
Speaker 2: It was people are going to make you mad, They're going to say things to offend you. Here's how you deal with Yes, it wasn't look for these micro aggressions, right, and look for a reason to be a grieved, right, and then you'll find a place for you to get over it. That was never the That was I mean, we've done a great disservice to some of these people.
Speaker 3: He was reading an article.
Speaker 1: Is the Selena Gomez crying video has gotten a lot of attention. You've seen this and she's for.
Speaker 4: Those who don't know, she was crying about immigration rates.
Speaker 3: She was saying that children were being yeah, the whole bit.
Speaker 1: But anyway, and the point of the article or the opinion piece was that there is this currency that young people get for being vulnerable and damaged publicly.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, and if they don't have their own.
Speaker 1: Strife, their own personal things that make them vulnerable and aggrieved, then they take on other people's things and they run with that.
Speaker 4: It's an entire lifestyle.
Speaker 2: Where you you have it so now there's difference.
Speaker 4: You have it so easy that you take on other people's pain.
Speaker 2: There are actual people who do that, and they're the ones who do things like start charities or make huge donations or volunteer.
Speaker 4: They don't post a video of themselves crying.
Speaker 3: Yeah, do something, don't post about it.
Speaker 1: Right. Dolly Parton's musical will debut in Nashville this summer before heading to Broadway.
Speaker 3: That'll be a fun one.
Speaker 1: Dolly, an original musical, will begin previews at Belmont University's Fisher Center for the Performing Arts July eighteenth. Partner Course says Nashville has been her musical home for over sixty years, so it's the right and perfect place for the world premiere.
Speaker 4: Belmont is a beautiful university.
Speaker 1: Casting for the show has not been revealed. Oh, we've got to get you in.
Speaker 4: What am I going to play in Dolly Parton's life?
Speaker 3: There's gotta be a gentleman.
Speaker 4: There is a gentleman. She's been married for a very long time.
Speaker 3: What's he like? Do you think you could pull that off? Let me look.
Speaker 4: Yeah, because he doesn't sing, you can sing. Probably sings.
Speaker 1: You can sing. Fine, he's gonna sing in the musical. Carl, you look like this guy? You look like this guy, Carl Thomas Dean is his name. Look at this guy. Let me get the bigger picture here. I mean, my goodness, you're like the spitting image.
Speaker 2: I mean it's blurry, you can barely see it.
Speaker 1: Do you want to see what Dolly Parton looked before all the.
Speaker 3: Look?
Speaker 4: She looks a little bit like Casey Musgraves.
Speaker 1: Oh, yeah, she does. This is the guy. Look at how much you could pull that off. I could not pull You could pull that off in a heartbeat? Are you kidding?
Speaker 3: You could?
Speaker 1: I'm posting this let us know if you think, I'll put it on our Instagram story.
Speaker 4: That's a good idea.
Speaker 1: We got to get you into this musical. Do you have anything in adult theater on the horizon?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 4: But I'm also not going to go to Tennessee.
Speaker 3: Why not?
Speaker 1: It's beautiful? What's the what's the secret to happiness? The happiness comes from within?
Speaker 2: So at the San Quentin Rehab Center, Reverend George Williams is flourishing. He leads Catholic Mass for about two hundred incarcerated men, on Sundays in English and in Spanish. He offers pastoral support during the week during his sharing his faith with inmates has been a source of joy for him for a long time, and he says, I look forward to going to work every day. He's been there. He's been a chaplain at the prison for thirty years. I'm sorry at a prison for thirty years, and he's been at San Quentin for about half that time, and he says, for me, it's drinking grace from a fire. OHS researchers have found a very strong link between faith and happiness, and in recent years they've surveyed people around the world to ask how happy they are, and in many cases, they said they've found meaningful correlations between people's self reported rankings of happiness and whether they take part in organized religious services, and it doesn't matter which faith, they say. Similar correlations found among people practicing Christianity, Buddhism, Judaism, Hinduism, and other faiths, and for people living and working outside of the prison walls as well. Pure Research Center study shows that people who are active in religious congregations tend to be happier than unaffiliated or inactive members of religious groups. They also tend to be more civically engaged. Now why is that, Why would that be the case. Well, it's a focus on something other than yourself. It's a focus on and even if it's not another person that you're focusing on, whether you know, volunteering in a different organization or helping somebody through a tough time, it's a focus on something that's not you at the center of the universe.
Speaker 1: It's very bad for us to focus on ourselves like that.
Speaker 4: Especially.
Speaker 1: You gotta, you know, take a shower and have some sort of focus in terms of on yourself. You take care of yourself, but don't just sit there and sit in yourself.
Speaker 3: Ego is a terrible thing from a lane to drive.
Speaker 2: There's middle aged mother too, who in this article she said a sense of transcendence comes to her from singing in church.
Speaker 3: Do you feel that way when you're doing your adult theater?
Speaker 4: Do I feel a sense of transcendence? No.
Speaker 1: I generally think that the people that I know that are religious are happier than the people I know who are not. I find a lot of truth to this. I don't think I've ever known somebody who is religious who is hard to be around or upset or unhappy or depressed.
Speaker 2: Part of that I'm generalizing here, but part of that would come from a belief in there is something and I don't just mean outside of yourself, but there's something outside of here, bigger, right, Well, it comes when you die. And if people are like, well then I become worm food? Then why what? What happiness is there in that? I mean, you're living for the moment. But then I mean you have this big hollow feeling at the end of every day, which I think means a lot of people drink to go to bed or take you know, medicate or do whatever wrong things because they don't have a belief in anything outside of themselves.
Speaker 1: I don't think you need to believe in the afterlife to believe in God, and in religion. I don't know a lot they all people who are religious who think that you know who are all.
Speaker 4: Some warm food?
Speaker 1: Yeah, but but are okay living their life for something else that's not them, you know, living the life that they're given their time here?
Speaker 4: Why are we so existential today? What's going on here? What's happening?
Speaker 3: Oh? I don't know. Do you want your jeopardy question?
Speaker 4: Please? Something smart?
Speaker 3: Silly inventions for six hundred dollars.
Speaker 1: Life for farmers was a lot less grim after Cyrus McCormick began developing his version of this machine in eighteen thirty one.
Speaker 4: Ah the old wheat thresher.
Speaker 3: No, No, I have no idea the reaper.
Speaker 1: Maybe if you lived off the land and stopped thinking about yourself so much.
Speaker 4: Stop go to the grocery store so often.
Speaker 3: How about getting back to your roots.
Speaker 2: If you miss a part of our show, you can always go online and listen to the podcast im com slash.
Speaker 4: You've been listening to the Gary and Shannon Show.
Speaker 2: You can always hear us live on k by AM six forty nine am to one pm every Monday through Friday, and any time on demand on the iHeartRadio app.