Speaker 1: Oh hey, it's that lady that works at the post office in your old neighborhood who asks where you've been. Ali, Ward and listen. I'm looking at you, and I see you. Your arms are folded, you're glaring. You're saying, make me like flies, bitch, and maybe I will. But we have our work cut out for us on this one. I'm not gonna lie. So it's good. I've enlisted one of the world's most charming and visible dipterologists. He's done field work on several continents. He's named more species than you can literally shake a flyswater at, and he lives and breathes flies metaphorically but also probably literally on accidents sometimes. He studied biotech for undergrad and then got a PhD in insect systematics and evolution, and is now doing a postdoc fellowship at Australia's Commonwealth Scientific and Industrial Research Organization's National Insect Collection, researching the evolution and classification of soldier flies, which are stout, little outside flies named after warriors because of spikes on their necks, though Workipedia notes that they are quote often rather inactive flies. So soldier flies, you're my head of flies. So this Dipterologist is also a Tedex speaker at a sycommer who's done a bunch of TV and radio appearances and just wrote his first book, Eyes on Flies for Kids. It's due out in September, and we're going to get to him in just a moment. But first you thank you everyone at patreon dot com slash Ologies for supporting the show for a dollar a month or more that allows you to submit questions that I could read with my mouth hopefully correctly. And thanks to everyone rating and reviewing and subscribing. I read all your reviews because they matter to me, and I pick one each week to read, and this week's is from Emily who Loves Trees, who wrote one time I was having a really bad day and I was crying in my car who hasn't been there and decided to listen to Ologies, and the newest episode was happiness, exactly what I needed always is. By the way, this is the first review I've left on any podcast ever. You deserve it. Emily who Loves Trees, happy to hand you that travel pack of Kleenex from the depths of my backpack. Okay, rub your tiny hands to get there and start to barf with Hunger for info on Golden Rumps, huge Family, Iranians, maggots and crime, ancient weightlifting, rainbow, exoskeletons, species naming, sexy, Dancing, delicious filth Jeff Goldblum, How to keep flies out of your domicile, but why you should love them more with the biggest cheerleader for the tiniest and most maligned creatures. Dipterologist doctor Brian Lazard.
Speaker 2: I'm doctor Brian Lasade aka brought the fly Guy, and I'm hate him.
Speaker 1: I was going to say, bry the fly Guy, how long have you been using that name? Because it's perfect.
Speaker 2: I think I started when I am launched my Twitter account like in twenty thirteen, So it's sillly been ten years since I've been using.
Speaker 1: The fly Guy. Okay. Now, I was going to explain this in the intro, but I decided I'm just gonna let you do it. You are a dipterologist, correct.
Speaker 2: Yes, correct, I am a dipterologist.
Speaker 1: Okay, and I'm going to make you explain why you're a dipterrologist from at least a taxonomic viewpoint. What is the etymology of Diptera?
Speaker 2: Yeah, So Diptera is the scientific term for flies, obviously, and it's Latin for die meaning too and terror meaning wings. And that's how you can tell flies apart from most of the insects, is that they only have two wings. So that's why we call them diptera.
Speaker 1: But does it ever vex you because you're a dipterrologist, you study flies, you buy the fly guy. But there must be so many different kinds of flies. How can they all be grouped together just because they have two wings? What's up with that?
Speaker 2: That's a really good question. There's one hundred and sixty thousand spaces of flies something all over the world.
Speaker 1: Are you serious?
Speaker 2: Yes, so many, and they're the ones we only know about now. It's funny because when people think about flies, they think of the tiny little bushfly or a march flyer that you know annoys you or ruins the picnic shoot fly far but there are so many spaces out there. They're actually fifteen times more fly species than bird species, just to put it in perspective, and they're everywhere. They're on every continent including Antarctica. How mind blowing is that?
Speaker 1: Very Also, because you think you'd go to an Oarctica and you'd be like, ah, the flies can't find me here, and one pops up from a snoke and be like stop, bitch, and you're like what, what, how how did you get here? What are they eating in Anarctica?
Speaker 2: Yes, so the largest full time animal living on Antarctica is actually a fly. It's the Antarctic midge fly. It's so tiny as well, you wouldn't even see it. But it's actually adapted to survive the freezing temperatures because they actually freeze the larvae and they can stay frozen for nine months of the year to wait for it to get really cold. They go into hibernation, and then when it starts warming up, that's when they start reactivating and turning into adults so they can breed have children, and the cycle continues. And regarding what they eat, I think they eat a lot of algae and moss down there, because I think that's the only thing they can eat.
Speaker 1: And what eats a flightless anarctic midge fly? You ask nothing, nothing, Nothing else can go as hard as living as a baby under the ice for two years, desiccating seventy percent of your body's water as an anti freeze strategy and being the only native, fully terrestrial animal on the continent of Antarctica. Polar bears, you scream at me in your car alone. If you heard the Risenology episodes, you would know polar bears don't live in the Antarctic and that ant Arctic literally means no bears here Antarctic, although that icy continent should be called four millimeters wingless flies that are more hardcore than bears and only emerge the adults ten days of their lives just to have an orgy and ice their babies. That is what Antarctica should be called thanks to their midges. Now, what about other flies? And why do flies only have two wings? What happened to the other set? Like Hymenoptera has four, right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and butterflies have four. And what's really cool about flies is they got smart millions of years ago and they're like, you know what, we don't need this second pair of wings. It's holding us back. So what they did is they decided to reduce them so cute. They decided they didn't need this second pair of wings. It was holding them back, so they ditch them. They actually evolved, they'll de evolved. The second pair of wings into these tiny little hole tears which are like lollipop knobs hall terrors.
Speaker 1: Yes, and I needed to know what this word meant, so I looked it up for us. And those armpit lollipop navorl jobbers get their name from ancient Greek gym rats because hall terrors were weights made out of big ass rocks, and long jumpers would hold them and swing them forward to gain momentum and a few centimeters on their long jumps. Also very inspiring that if you need a weight set, you can just carve a handle in a rock and call it a day and a whole terror.
Speaker 2: And how they work are like little counterbalances, so they can zip and fly around in the air, and they can dart and change direction and angle so quickly because of these counterbalances. So they're really clever, speedy, and just amazing. How evolution just you know, does its magic.
Speaker 1: And are those little knobby jobbers are those considered wings but just stubby wings, or are those completely evolved into a totally separate structure.
Speaker 2: They've evolved into a completely separate structure. So they've still got the base, which is called a stem, and then they've got the little lollipop like knob at the end, and that's what they kind of flick around to change the momentum in which direction they're.
Speaker 1: Flying, kind of like a Greek long jumper, using physics to carry themselves forward. So nah, you love flies now? No, okay, all right, almost, So.
Speaker 2: It's quite remarkable. It's so simple and beautiful. But yeah, it's just that's pretty much what gives flies the morphological uniqueness, because there's always some exceptions too. So one of the flies that I studied down here in the alpine zone of Australia are the Souldi fly, and there's one species, Boreotes subulatis, that is actually wingless. The female doesn't have a wings, so technically can you call it a fly? We still do.
Speaker 1: That is, even though she does not fly, she is a fly.
Speaker 2: She is a fly. And what's really cool is she's reduced her wings. We're not sure why she lost them, but she crawls up blades of grass and tree trunks looking for her male mates because the males actually kept their wings. So the males fly to the females and then they retproduce and then lay their eggs in the leaf litter around. Of course, you've watched the movie Alien with the xenomorph queens.
Speaker 1: I have, yes, I have chilled, chilling.
Speaker 2: You know how the queen has this huge abdomen that is absolutely built for pumping out eggs.
Speaker 1: Yes, delicious, yep.
Speaker 2: This wingless souldier fly is the xenomorph of the insect world. Her abdomen is about three or four times the size of her thorax and she can pump out hundreds of eggs. So she's really born to breed and ensure the success of her species by pumping out as many vibe eggs as she can.
Speaker 1: So many siblings, so many, but a large family, she's like pumping them out. Okay, So I googled up the soldier fly and it looks kind of like a ladybug larvae. It's dark with a pointy segmented bud and according to the website for the Australian Museum, due to its lack of wings quote, the female of this species of fly is often referred to as a walk ouch dude, brutal. Can you run me through what types of flies there are? I understand there's a bozillion, but what is a fly like mosquito? Is that a fly crane fly. Is that a fly? We got house flies, we got midges, like when we see something. I'm sure there's so many things that are flies that we don't realize are flies.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and mosquitoes. They are definitely a type of fly because they only have two wings as well, and many people think, you know, mosquitoes aren't flies, they're annoying, they're horrible. Fun fact, some mosquitoes are actually vegetarian and we'll just drink connected from flowers all day and pollinate. So even the pesky mosquito has a role in the ecosystem.
Speaker 1: Good for them. What are some other things that we don't realize, like our flies? Like what is it even encompass? And how do you, as a dipterologist come to be one? What was your entry point? What was your entry species?
Speaker 2: Oh? Good question. I had no idea about flies until I started university. I used to hate them. I thought were march fliers were the bane of my existence going hiking. Yeah, I thought blowflies were super annoying. Wished them away, and then I did a Bachelor by technology, actually because I liked DNA and I thought, you know, I'm going to save the world by stopping companies from genetically mutating our species and that it was a lecture in second year of UNI and it was forensic entomology, and that's where I learned that maggots could help solve crime. And I was not watching a lot of bones with like David Boreanaz back in the day, and I thought, that was right up my alley.
Speaker 1: What's going on with the maggots. They're like freaky happy.
Speaker 2: And so I did a research project with that lecturer, James Woman, and he showed me how cool flies are and putting even the most annoying blowfly onto the microscope, I was absolutely blown away by how beautiful they are. They're like metallic, shiny blues and greens and just gorgeous. And that's where I caught the flybug and have started studying. It's been more than ten years now.
Speaker 1: And what is the work that you're doing now? What is your day today? Like when you go into your office, when you sit down at your computer of the lab.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So I am a taxonomist, and taxonomy is the science of naming and classifying species. So one of the best parts of being a taxonomist is that you actually go out in nature and collect and go on really amazing field trips. I've been lucky enough to go to Lord Howe Island, which is this gorgeous, remote, Jurassic Park style island about four hours flying east of Sydney. I've gone to Chile to collect flies, Costa Rica, South America, New Zealand, and it's really cool going out and seeing the personalities of these flies. Believe it or not, because I spend so much of my time in a museum looking at pin research specimens. They're obviously dead studying a species for like five years, and then going out and seeing it in nature, in its habitat, and then you can see its personality, how it like it cleans its eyes and like rubs its hands together, it does these beautiful dancers in the air. Oh, it's kind of like meeting a celebrity. Actually, it's I love it. I love this job. It's so good because not only do you go out collecting, but you bring back the specimens that you collect, and then you have the fun experience of trying to identify them and playing a really complicated game of spotlet difference between what you've brought in and the museum specimens, and that's when you can see if you can identify it and if it's an existing species or if it's a brand new species to science. And that's where it's really fun, because if you discover a new species, you get to name it whatever you like. Oh, I know you'll have a lot of fun there.
Speaker 1: I know you can have a lot of fun there. I mean, how many new species of I have you discovered and gotten to name.
Speaker 2: In the last ten years. I have named fifty species nea science, but I've actually discovered one hundred fifty extra ones that are new that I haven't actually had time to name because it's such a long, complicated, exciting process.
Speaker 1: Wow. So he's named fifty discovered one hundred and fifty other new species of flies, just forever changing the knowledge that we possess on Earth and naming it.
Speaker 2: Do you know why though there are so many new species out there?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 1: Why is it because the world's heating up? Is there more? Pooh? What's happening?
Speaker 2: It's because we don't have enough taxonomists or biologists out there to simply go out find them and document them. There's probably, oh, I don't know, I'd say like maybe five hundred dipterologists in the world, and there's one hundred and sixty thousand species that are known, and scientists estimate that we've only described and named a quarter of all life on Earth. Just a quarter.
Speaker 1: Wow, it must be like trying to count buckets of water in the ocean. Just how do you even know where to find all these species? And when you're looking to see if it's a new species and you're looking at a microscope, what if you're looking at the specimen in the museum and they look different, but it's just because the one that you happen to catch has like one extra leg on accident.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So what's really important here is that we have these museum collections that have all the known species that are known to science, that other entomologists have described, they've lodged the specimen in the museum. And what's really cool is these natural history museums are like libraries of life, and scientists are mailing specimens all over the world in the posts to other researchers. And this is actually getting a lot easier with new digitization technologies where you can take high risk images and then you can share those with other scientists. And it's my job as an entomologist to build upon our knowledge of our sex and helped discover and name these species that are nu just science, but also find out why they're different and how we can identify them. Because you know, one species might be a really important pollinator, one species might be a really bad pest species that you need to keep out of a country and might have some really important biosecurity impact to that country too. So naming a species is the first step to understanding that species, and it gives scientists a universal language to be able to talk about that. Otherwise we wouldn't know what we would call it.
Speaker 1: Does RuPaul know that you named a fly after her?
Speaker 2: They do, definitely. RuPaul hasn't emailed me or talked to me directly. He did retweet the RuPaul fly that I actually named after him last year, and that's the closest I've gotten to him. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Wow, I mean so exciting. Also, I wasn't sure what RuPaul's pronouns were, and I was like, shoot, I got that wrong. But I looked it up and apparently RuPaul has said you can call me he, you can call me she, you can call me read justs and Kathy Lee. I don't care just as long as you call me me. However, right now you might be calling him egregious and Kathy Lee after some hurtful actions a few years back, excluding trans women from his show Drag Race, but he later issued a rupology saying quote, I understand and regret the hurt I have caused. The trans community are heroes of our shared LGBTQ movement. You are my teachers. And for Brie the fly guy, he wanted a fly that represented the rainbow and a nod toward pride. And we chatted off Mike about LGBTQ plus representation in science right after we stopped recording, and I was like kah and I wanted to include those thoughts with his permission, So he sent me a great follow up note that read quote, I'm an openly gay scientist. A few years ago, I was a bit hesitant to come out publicly, thinking it would impact my career, but that negative thinking was the very reason why I decided to come out. I want young LGBTQ plus people to have career role models and see a play for themselves in the STEM workforce, he wrote. I hope the next generation can feel more comfortable bringing their whole selves to work and continue to better the world through awesome science. But I do recognize that I live in a safe part of the world, he writes, where I can be my true self, and that this is still a challenge in other parts of the world that will hopefully change for the better. Quote. So queer Scientists, Happy pride, keep being you, whether you're in or out. And you can check out five hundred Queer Scientists too. That's a great website. Can you tell me when you are choosing who to honor with a fly species, which, by the way, so lucky, what an honor? What is your process? And are you struck by the colors or the form or the moxie? And tell me also some of the people that you have named flies after?
Speaker 2: This is the most creative time you can have as a taxonomist is definitely when you get to name a species. But first you have to do all your science vigorously and thoroughly. First you've got to be sure it's a new species. So when I found this specimen, I saw that it was wearing the rainbow flag. It was this gorgeous metallic red blues, turquoise, yellows, purples, So I knew that was the defining feature of this species. And the other unique feature of this species is that it had this thorn like cook under its abdomen. It was tucked under the abdomen actually, and I thought, wow, that's so unique. And so I was watching a lot of RuPaul's drag race at the time as well, so I think subconsciously it was imprinting on me that I need to name this species up to roupall as well. So it became Opal Luma RuPaul, the glamazon fly of Australia.
Speaker 1: Amazing.
Speaker 2: What was interesting is that he was doing some press about RuPaul's drag race and he was on the Ellen Show and Ellen flashed up an image of his new species.
Speaker 1: You're such an icon. There is a fly named after you. A scientist named a beautiful, brightly colored fly. I think we have a picture of it, and that is the Rue Paul.
Speaker 2: And the only thing he said was thanks a lot science, And I was like, that's it. I spent like a year of my life reporting documenting the species, and that's what you said.
Speaker 1: I mean, it's such an indelible mark that there is a species that is forever named after you. When people long forget the entertainment. You did like that to me is a permanence in terms of your place on Earth.
Speaker 2: Species names lost fraternity, so you've got to get it right. It was interesting because the Graham Norton Show produced this email me and wanted a photo of the fly they could bring up when RuPaul was on the show this year, and I made sure to give him some science, some science that catched about it. And I said it had legs for days at the gorgeous rainbow species, and it had a thorn tucked under its abdomen. And then Ruport said, the upper luma RuPaul has a fierce look, legs for days and a distinctive thorn tucked under its abdomen. True, so that was a little bit better acknowledgment of the fly. I guess. Yeah. Out of the fifty species I've named, only two of them are after celebrities, and I figure the RuPaul fly was my fiftieth species, and the first fly that I ever named was always has a place in my heart. I was listening to a lot of this artist while looking at the type specimens under the microscope. I was listening to her music while I was describing it. It had a bright golden abdomen. There were only three specimens ever collected, the same number of the girl groups that she used to be in, and was also collected in the year that she was born. So I thought the universe was giving me a sign. So I named it Plinthina Beyonce, after the one and only Beyonce.
Speaker 1: Gorgeous. I have seen pictures and yes, absolutely stunning. Do you know if this queen Beee knows of her fly?
Speaker 2: I think she might. A lot of her fans were like, excuse me, it's a fly with a beehive, it should be a bee. Unfortunate study bees.
Speaker 1: Also, flies are cooler.
Speaker 2: Yeah, way cooler. Hey, bees get all the credit for pollination, but do you know that even the blowflies can carry twice as much pollen than a European honeybe And in Australia, farmers of mangoes, avocados and other agriculturally important care have plued onto this. So what they're doing is they're actually getting a lot of like dish heads and offal, sprinkling it around the beautiful orchards and encouraging the blowflies to come in because they like to lay their eggs in gross, stinky stuff. But while they do that, they're out there drinking the nectar from all the orchards and helping pollinate and increase the fruit rate. So how cool is that? Very cool?
Speaker 1: I mean, we have them to thank for so much of what we eat. And meanwhile, European honeybees, which are not even endemic to the United States, are getting all of the love on churios, boxes and stuff like that, which is just lies. It's apocryphal, it's not right. So I, for one starting to gravitate towards Team fly. Here. Pretty hardcore flies are winning my heart right now. Don't believe me. You can dust your furry butts into a twenty twenty study titled non beat Insects as Visitors and Pollinators of Crops, which notes that flies visited seventy two two percent of the crops that bees did, Thank you very much, and that the family of Serifidae aka hoverflies, are on it. They're the ones in your garden who sometimes look like a fly cause playing as a bee. But they have the most flexy wings of any flying insects. They hang out in mid air hoverflying by twisting their wings three hundred times a second, three hundred times a second at forty five degree angles. Now, another great Diptera pollinator family is the Kilifera dye, which are blowflies or bottleflies, which are considered filth flies. Excuse me, filth flies? How dare they? I mean? Yes, they eat shit and rotting bodies, but they like flowers too, okay, especially the ones that have evolved to smell like shit and rotting bodies. They are multi dimensional animals. More on them in a bit. But not all flies want rotting bodies. Some don't eat bodies at all, and some prefer to feast on alive, juicy bodies like yours. Speaking of badges, have you ever gotten a butt fly? What does it mean to you?
Speaker 2: Oh? My god, it's kind of a badge of honor for a diptrologist studying flies. They want to get bitten by these buttflies. And there's one hundred and eighty species of botflies in the world, but in Australia there aren't that many, and I think there's only one species that might actually bite kangaroos. So I haven't ever come across a botfly, but I know one of our mutual colleagues has phil torres. Yes, yeah, I think he got a bit. It was a Costa Rica or something.
Speaker 1: So I think he maybe was in Peru. I'm not sure, but the year was twenty nineteen. Entomologist and lepidopterology butterfly guest Phil Torres tweeted quote one of my mosquito bites from Peru keeps tingling and this is me prayer hands emoji that I finally got a buttfly. Phil documented his pregnance fly on his YouTube channel, The Jungle Die.
Speaker 4: I've got a botfly maggot living in my back right now, feeding on my flesh. If you saw my alass video, you know what I'm talking about. But if you didn't, let me just catch you up real quick. It is a maggot. It is alive, It is feeding on me. It is in my back. It is really gross, but it is also really fascinating.
Speaker 1: And inside an inflamed and separating mound on Phil's back, a flesh hitting maggot baby twisted and bucked, causing him some searing pains, although for some hosts apparently it's a rather smooth experience thanks to the natural painkillers and antibiotics the botfly larvae makes to keep you happy hosting. It is there any for the food and the childcare. They don't want to be a nuisance, they don't want to cause trouble. They just want to lap up your nutrients. And Phil has never posted the follow up video and the conclusion of his experience, but I texted him and friends he may be cutting it together and never before seen updates on his YouTube. So google the Jungle Diaries on YouTube, subscribe, and cross your fingers toast that he releases it. Because a botfly extraction is wild. I have watched so many, so many. Do they put their egg on a mosquito? Or how are they even laying an egg in your skin to eat your flesh and erupt force? I don't even know how they're getting in there. I have gone down rabbit holes watching botfly extractions, and I find them very soothing and disgusting.
Speaker 2: It's crazy, right, It's like the entomology version of pimple popping.
Speaker 1: Oh, I love it. It's so gross. This tear drop shape where when you think there can't be more botfly larvae, this big, bouncy, rotund wink comes out of a hole in your flesh. Just disgusting. I mean, do they ever bounce out of your skin? And then they pupate, but they just spin the larval stage in your flesh.
Speaker 2: Yes, so the lavel stage develops flesh because they actually eat it. It's really gross and they don't want to leave their food substrate. So what they've evolved are these really hardcore, like fish hook like spines. They're absolutely covered in them, and that's why they're so hard to remove because as you pull them, they're lodged and they're not coming out, so you sometimes need to get them surgically removed. And what's crazy is that the larvae looks so vicious, but the adults are so cute. They're just fat and fuzzy and they look like teddy bears. But like you said, they actually lay their eggs on mosquitoes, which is crazy. I think they're like the sumo wrestlers of the fly world. For these big, fat, buzzing flies, and they hunt down mosquitoes and wrestle them. The female watfly will extend her ovipositor to lay an egg on the foot of the mosquito. So the female watfly doesn't actually lay the egg on the victim. I guess you could call them the victim.
Speaker 1: Uh huh.
Speaker 2: So the mosquito does her dirty work. So it'll fly around land on your skin and the heat from your skin will actually trigger the wotfly exit hatch, and then it crawls out and then it starts burrowing in your skin, and then over the weeks and months, it turns into this thick fish hook larvae that is just eating your flesh. It's kind of gross.
Speaker 1: Does it stick its little buttthole out too, and just like like just the metabolites from your body. I understand that what you're looking, you're staring down the barrel of the business end of a maggot when you have a buttfly, which is just what a world, what a beautiful, wonderful world, you know.
Speaker 2: Head down, butt up. They actually have spiracles in their bomb as well, which are the portals for breathing. The head with their mouth is on the other side that's very deep in and they stick their butt up in the air and that's what they breathe in. So they breathe from their butts. That's what they don't drown in whatever they're eating, like your skin and the flesh.
Speaker 1: What a life cycle.
Speaker 2: But normal flies of gross, some are really cute as well, like the adult butt fly is really cute, and I encourage you to look at them on a search engine.
Speaker 1: Okay, I search engine this, and it's true. Some of them look like furry little potatoes with giant eyes, but not Dermatobia hominis, which specialize in human hosts in Central and South America, and many entomologists consider nurturing one in their body a rite of passage and kind of like a five to twelve week pregnancy until they're chubby. Half your pinky size maggot squirms its way out and wriggles into some nearby soil for two or three weeks, where it undergoes a makeover from a hardened dark sarcophagus to a stocky fly stunner that has a metallic blue ass as shiny as a Nissan hatchback and big red eyes that look like two boxing gloves. Ough, and it's made of you. What about life cycles of flies in general, because you've mentioned maggots before, we think of flies, we think of maggots. But is there a commonality when it comes to life cycles for flies or is it just like all over the fucking place.
Speaker 2: Ah? Yeah, they generally share the same faces or stages of the development so they'll obviously start out as an egg and this will generally hatch into several different stages of larvae, or we call in stars, and it depends on the family. Blowflies have three in stars where others have more. And then when they're larvae, they really just want to eat as much as they can, put on as much fat as they can because when they enter pupation, this fat is the energy that they need to go onto that amazing process called metamorphosis and come out as an adult. And what's really interesting is some flies, like the black souldier fly, don't eat very much when they're adults, so they're relying on the baby fat that they've accumulated to get them through adulthood. And some of these adults only last for eight days. So they hatch, they have only one thing on their mind, and that's to find a lover and make some babies to continue the cycle.
Speaker 1: My heavens, boy, hobby, I just I love the idea of a fly emerging from its pupil casing, being like I wish to take a lover. And with Musca domestica the house flies that you love, the female typically just takes one lover and then she clutches onto that one fateful jizload in her body for the rest of her life, going on to bear two thousand of his maggotty babies, which actually get laid his eggs and then they hatch into maggots and sometimes just a day. So how long will the adults live though? Just a single blissful month unless time if it's cold out and other so called filth flies include blowflies, bottleflies, which aren't houseflies, but they're slightly larger, and they're bright green and blue metallic buzzers. They love poop, they love death, and unlike houseflies, they live longer in colder weather. They can live six months in the winter, but about three sweaty months if they were born under Gemini skies. But why do some flies look like enameled metal? Brian says that some insects and flies, like the metallic rainbow roupallfly look metallic not because of a colored pigment, but because they have structural pigment, these microscopic ridges and transparent layers that split the light into metallic colors, he says, kind of like a CD or a DBD. And he told me that scientists think that the shine attracts mates and might even aid in camouflage, he said. Quote think of a metallic green fly hiding next to a reflective water drop on a leaf, which is honestly, very very cute and very refreshing sounding. And just like so many things on earth and in our lives, that fly shimmer makes other flies want to do the nasty. And speaking of nasty, let's keep talking filth flies. Have you ever had those round winged babies that fly out of your drain? Okay, those are called drain flies. They live in there and they eat garbage in your pipes. And I'm not saying that you should kill any of them, but pouring boiling hot water into your drains a few times over a few days, we'll make them not exist. This is your choice, though. And fruitflies are amber colored, usually with red eyes. They live one to two weeks in your kitchen, just enjoying that soupy, mature fruit you forgot you bought. And if you don't want them around, one fix is just to not let your counterfruit get soupy, or beg your roommates or your office mates not to More options on them later in the episode. Now, gnats are not fruit flies. I just found out they're totally different. Diptera nats tend to live outside, and sometimes a swarm of them will find your sticky lip gloss, and then it's up to you if you want to eat them like a whale and Joy's krill. Now, do you have any tiny flies that emerge from your potted plants? Those are probably fungus nets, and there are remedies ranging from soaking your potting soil with hydrogen peroxide to adding a layer of sand on top. But I'm bad at plants. Don't look at me.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 1: All of these things live in your house and they are flies, But only one is the poster maggot for flies, and it's the house fly. And what about house flies? I feel like that is the species of fly that we are most accustomed to. Are they just so successful that there's more of them around? Are they just perfectly suited to come into your house and sit on a sandwich? Are they barfing on your sandwich before they're eating it? Are their feet covered? And shit? Make me not hate them so much? If possible, they will, And I know it's not fair. They're just successful.
Speaker 2: It's not fair. They've just evolved. To be amazing. It's spreading all over the world, and you know they're just curious about what we do and the jealous of the amazing food we eat. That's all. Okay. A redeemable fact about house flies, Well, did you know that they're not just blowing vomit bubbles to be cute disgusting. They are actually blowing vomit bubbles to regulate their own body temperature. So if they're really hot, flies, like most insects, are ectothermic, so they can't actually regulate their body temperature, and it depends on the ambient temperature. So if they're overheating, they'll actually regurgitate a little bit of what they're they've eaten, put on the tip of their proposss, let it evaporate, you know, cool off, and they slop it back up and then that cools them down. So I think that's kind of a cool thing that a house fly does.
Speaker 1: That's great. I love it. For more on how animals regulate their temperatures, see the thermophysiology episode with doctor Shane Campbell Staton. Oh, and another cute thing that flies do for us, they're used metica to help clean open wounds because maggots like dead flesh, so they clean years out. Yay. Thanks.
Speaker 2: House Flies are actually really important pollinators too, believe it or not. So some of the research I was doing in the Alpine zone in Costiosco National Park, which is one of the biggest national parks in Australia, was looking at the flies and what they actually pollinate. And this is with my colleagues at CSRO, which is Australia's National Science Agency. And what we did we collected a bunch of flies and we made a little insects smoothie. So we put the insects in an Eppendorf tube and blended it all up and that released all the pollen that was attached to the fly. When the fly goes from one flower to the other drinking nectar, it gets doused in pollen, it sticks to the hair and then when it goes from flower to flower it helps pollinate. And so we were able to use these insectsmoothies to sequence the DNA of the pollen grains and weun that even the pesky bushfly that's related to the house fly can pollinate up to fifteen different varieties of native plants. So yes, we hate bushflies. And house flies. But they're out there doing this amazing job in nature, free of charge, helping to pollinate our native plants. So we should cut them some slack.
Speaker 1: I guess they do deserve some slack they do. What about their feet? Do they taste with their feet? Are they covered in shit all the time?
Speaker 2: Well, they have happy feet, because yes, they do taste from their feet. They're impatient. Instead of waiting to get the food in their mouth and like, you know, taste it that way like we would. They like to stand in whatever they're eating and it's yes, no, do I eat it? Do I not? And so what they do is if it tastes good, that's when they'll drop their probosis, their mouth part that has a sponge at the end that SAPs up all the liquid. And they actually do eat shit because shit is high in protein and other nutrients and electrolytes as well. But this is where the kind of nasty side of house flies comes into it, because if they're landing on shit with pathogens, those pathogens can get stuck to their feet, and that's when they fly inside and land on your food and spread those pathogens that could potentially make you sick. So That's why it's best to always cover your food, especially if you're having a barbecue outside, and make sure these flies don't actually land on it. And the other thing is closed the doors in summer. Always take out your rubbish pretty regularly because you don't want to encourage house flies to come inside. For these reasons, flies, madam, Yes, close the window.
Speaker 1: Are they smelling your garbage too? Are they like, smells a little rotten in there? My baby's a gonna love it.
Speaker 2: Yes, definitely, especially female blowflies.
Speaker 1: What pathogens? Is it possible they can spread? And I feel like we see a fly and we're like, oh, if it lands on my sandwich, I'm going to get an ebola and die. But what pathogens do they actually hear? Is it fewer or more than we think?
Speaker 2: Oh, well, we're just scratching the surface at the moment. So with advances in microbiome analysis, I've got some colleagues that are actually grinding up the flies and sequencing everything that's in that body, all the microbes, pathogens, and parasites as well. So we're just getting into it. But horseflies, sometimes called march flies, they have been in the past known to transfer anthrax, even though it's super rare and in such low doses where it's not going to be the next outbreak, but it's definitely something we're just discovering about these insects.
Speaker 1: Listen, I wants all to respect flies, but I'm not flies overworked high profile publicist or lawyer. Okay, I'm not Olivia Pope swooping in in a white coat to be like it's handled. So I'm going to give you the dirt on this. I'm going to talk a little bit of shit on flies for a second. According to Penn States and homology data on Musca domestica, which is the housefly, they are a quote strongly suspected of transmitting at least sixty five diseases to humans, including typhoid, fever, dysentery, cholera, polio, yaws, anthrax, leprosy, tuberculosis, helminth eggs, protozoasis, and other bacteria, fungi, and viruses by the mechanical transmission through its vomits or excreta end quote. So maybe you would not hurt a fly, but if you would just know that they can sense movements and air currents before your rolled up newspaper even gets close, which is why you want a fly swater that has a lot of holes in it or is mesh because it doesn't send such a wave of air to warn them. So I'm sorry houseflies, you know what, Let's change one letter. Let's settle up for horseflies, which flies bite because you say horseflies, and I think about those big, huge, buzzing horseflies and you're like, oh, why do they even have a mouth that can bite anything.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So it's only the female horsepy that bites because she needs the protein in your blood to ripen her eggs, and without it, she won't have any viable eggs and they can't, you know, continue their lineage. So the males and some females from some species a completely vegetarian and only eat nectar and pollen. But horsefly bites are particularly painful because she has these saw blade like structures called stylets that run parallel to her probosis. And instead of a mosquito that has a needle like probosis that just slips in your skin and slurps it up, the horsefly will actually land and use these two saw blades to rip through your skin, and she's just soaring through your flesh to expose as much blood and make it spill as much as she can, and that's why it's so painful to get bit by horsefly.
Speaker 1: Oh well, you know what, knowing that makes me feel better weirdly, because I'm like, that's pretty metal.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Oh, it gets worse. She'll also spit in the lesions she creates because her saliva has anticoagulant properties and blood thinning properties, so this stops the platelets and your blood from coagulating, so they flow more freely, so she can just slurp it up with a spongy mouthpart and get as much blood in her as she can.
Speaker 1: I love blood, and this assumed like, is this kind of how mosquitoes evolve too. They just evolved a different mouth mechanism to just cut straight to the chase.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so mosquitoes are much more delicate. You've ever hit a mosquito, They just disintegrate on your hands then turn into like a great puff. So mosquitoes have evolved to be a little bit more sly, the kind of the stealth team of the insect world. So the female mosquita will land on you, and it's always after the fact that we notice that we've been bitten. When it starts to react to get itchy. So she'll land on our skin, slide her needle probosis into our flesh, and she also spits a little bit of saliva and anticoagulant chemicals into our skin to make it flow better as well, and then she'll fly off. And what's interesting is because she spits into our skin, this is where people start getting allergic to these bites, and that's when it will starts swelling. And a couple of minutes after she's bit that's where we notice we've actually been visited by a mosquito.
Speaker 1: Visit it is such a sweet and mystical way to put it, so generous of you, dude.
Speaker 2: I know, but mosquitoes are the biggest vectors of serious diseases like malaria that cause the death of millions of people in the world. But it's not actually the female mosquito that is the killer. It's actually the parasites and microbes that hitches a ride in her belly and in her salivo that she transmits. So I guess, yeah, mosquitoes have a role in disease transmission, but they're not the killers.
Speaker 1: They need their own episodes because honestly, They're just moms out there. They're trying to feed their kids. They've been framed for all the malaria stuff, like someone planted pathogens in them. Okay, so calisidology, mosquitoes, watch the space, We're gonna do it. Flies in the media. How do you feel about the fly? Those weird hairs that were growing out of your back?
Speaker 2: And I haven't analyzed, but they were definitely not humans.
Speaker 1: Have you seen the fly? Did it make you want to be a dipterroologist more or less?
Speaker 2: Bloody? Jeff Golbum? I swear I think you've done more to hurt flies and get people. Jeff, Jeff, Jeff. I watched as kid. I think I might've been around ten, and I thought it was scary. It was like a horror movie and it was just disgusting where it starts vomiting on everything. And for Genia Davis what she had to go through that.
Speaker 1: Would you ever name a fly after Jeff Goblum or Gina Davis?
Speaker 2: Do you know what? There probably is a Jeff Golbin fly somewhere out there that maybe doesn't vomit on his food so much, but maybe he's out there pollinating flowers or composting our garden. Who don't know. Oh my gosh, that's the problem with the media, Like we've kind of perpetuated this negative image of flies, when actually they're the heroes of our nature, like they pollinate their recycled nutrients, they're really important in the food web, and we've kind of demonized them. So that's why it's really important to talk about it and change people's perceptions. And if I could get people on board with flies, it would be with this one fact. Without flies, there would be no chocolate. What really, Yeah, that's because the cocoa plant is pollinated by these tiny little midge fliers from the family Sarah Pagernady, And they're the only thing small enough to crawl through the cocoa flower and pollinate it. And if we didn't have them, the most important pollinators of these plants, we wouldn't have chocolates. So be careful what you wish for.
Speaker 1: I'd say, ah MVPs, thank you midge flies. Teen teen tiny flies, We love you. I think that they're beautiful too. It seems like when you look at them up close, you start to really appreciate the architecture and the color palette of flies. Would you say that as someone who's looked through a lot of microscopes at them?
Speaker 2: One hundred percent. And I didn't know how beautiful flies were and until I started putting them onto the microscope and studying them, and that's when I had my journey of hating flies to appreciating their beauty as well. Blowflies, horseflies. Oh, there are some horse flies that actually mimic bees and look like fairy bees. And that's so when they're out on a flower, birds won't eat them because they're expecting to get stung. Where the joke's on the bird because they didn't actually have stingers. Flies. So I encourage you to just if you see a fly in the garden next time, don't show it away, but you know, take a photo and maybe start a digital collection and appreciate their inner beauty. And I've got a ton of images of gorgeous flies on my social media channels that you should check out.
Speaker 1: Oh, I've seen them and they're so beautiful. Do you have a recommendation if someone wanted to get into microscopy and just instead of staring at their phone and social media that's not yours, that just getting a microscope for home use for fun. Do you have any recommendations for like what power of microscope are like for a total beginner and dilettante who just wants to look at dead bugs? Any recommendations.
Speaker 2: Yeah, if you don't want to get a full blown microscope and you just kind of want to test the waters, a really gateway entry point for microscopy is you can get these beautiful macro lens attachments for your smartphone and they have you know, maybe three or four times magnification on them, and you just pop your phone over the specimen and you can take photos of these speeches too.
Speaker 1: Do you want to do a dipterroologist to favor? You can also help scientists by uploading those photos to community science apps, for example.
Speaker 2: Like I Naturalists, but also have identification features and they can give you a percentage accuracy hit to what binaturalists actually thinks that species is.
Speaker 1: Can I do a lightning round of Patreon questions from listeners?
Speaker 2: Yes?
Speaker 1: Please on my website linked in the show notes. I'll include some macro lens guides and definitely check out the Periology episode with Joseph Saunders, which is literally all about macro photography with insects it's so good. But before we get to your questions, let's DiPT a toe in the waters of charity. Let's send some money toward a cause of the ologists choosing I'm sorry that was the worst. That wasn't even a good punt at all. I don't know why, said, but Brian selected the World Wildlife Federation WWF, and Brian says they are championing global action to protect our delicate biodiverse, especially after Australia was hit by the devastating bushfires that impacted so many native species there. So for more on what they do, check out WWF dot org. So thank you sponsors for the money that we send their way. Okay, let's blow through your fly questions. Are you ready ready hit me? Okay? All right? Great questions from Theodore at Visian, Wendy Westerduin, Alex Rtman, Emily Webb, David Ruscalata Gomez, Emily first time question asker. They want to know, in Emily's words, why do they come into a room and then fly in circles instead of leaving the way they came. Wendy wants to know why does it fly in triangles then sometimes in squares? What's their flight pattern, Like.
Speaker 2: Yeah, really awesome question. It really depends on the spaces, because some fly researchers are actually studying the different flight patterns of different spaces, and some are triangular, some are square, and some just sort of complete mess. They look like drunken little pilots going everywhere. But they definitely fly indoors if you've got the light on, because they're atracted to the light and sometimes they get stuck there. And I've noticed on really hot days if I've left my door open or even the porch, you can see them under the porch and they think it's a tree canopy and they're flying around with their friends. And what they're doing is they're actually dancing. They're courtship dancing. So generally it's the males that dance. Why the females are perched on a leaf looking for the best dancer, so she'll come up and pick the best dancer and choose him to mate with. So it pays to have sick dance moves if you're a fly.
Speaker 1: Oh my gosh. And is that what's kind of happening in their flight pattern or is there also a strategy for maybe discouraging them from coming into your doorway.
Speaker 2: I think they just get trapped inside. And I think the flight pattern species specific, and it might be a courtship dance as well, So there's a specific pattern they might use to attract female flies. These well dancing nlesh so sexy.
Speaker 1: Elena Horne, Cassafrass Melinda Jenkins and first time question asker Emily Layfield. In Emily's words, want to know and this is maybe not the most fly friendly question, but you'll change our minds. Emily wants to why do flies seem to have an exponentially more annoying and loud buzz than any other insect I've run across. What's making the buzzing sound?
Speaker 2: Is it?
Speaker 1: They're wings? So that's in Emily's words, So why are they loud? And how can we embrace the loudness?
Speaker 2: They are loud, but they're not the loudest of all insects. I think we just noticed them because they're a bit more curious and come to us sometimes. Well, it's definitely the wings, especially the big, fat, juicy flies like lowflies. You'll hear them because they beat their wings so strongly. But I remember collecting in the flower patches of New Zealand, And it was actually the bumblebees that drove me crazy because I tuned into my ears to tell the different types of flies apart because they all have a different buzz, so I can collect them. But then these bloody, droney bumblebees would come in and just drown out the sound. So I don't think flies are the most annoying insects. Bumble Bees are much louder.
Speaker 1: How are you collecting them? Are you using one of those aspirators where you have to suck it up in a tube?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I definitely use an aspirator or a pewter that they're affectionately called too. But my favorite collecting method is using my trusty insect net that looks like a butterfly net. Most people think that's really good at catching flies buzzing around in the air. And I remember collecting at this water hole where all the tourists were swimming and they're like, mate, mate, come here, you must be here to collect the brown snake, and I'm no, I don't want to touch the snake. I'm here to collect your flies.
Speaker 1: I love it. You do have to carry a lot less back to the lab. I imagine that your fly samples can fit just in like a tackle box.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the flies are much smaller so they don't take up that much space. But we also use malaise traps that look like tents, and what happens is the flies fly into the tent and then they work their way up into this bottle of ethanol that we have at the top, and they get preserved in that bottle. So what's really cool is we can take them back into the lab and the ethanol preserves the DNA, which is cool because then we can extract the DNA and sequence its genetic fingerprint to confirm that it's a new species. And we use this all the time in entomology.
Speaker 1: Oh wow, Yeah, it's.
Speaker 2: Really cool because you could go to like really remote places like rainforests and put these traps up and they do the collecting for you and you can find some really nice surprises in there afterwards.
Speaker 1: I know they do that in Los Angeles and they've found new species of flies in Los Angeles and flies that they didn't expect here. And it's so interesting too because it just looks like a little pop up tent, you know, tiny, and that there's so much entomology being done in something that's just like the size of a Starbucks cup.
Speaker 2: You know, it's crazy, right, and especially putting them in people's backyards. I think they found like seventy new spaces of forid flies in California using this method. It's just nuts.
Speaker 1: Yes, I think Brian Brown is the dypterrologist I once chatted with at the NHM about that. They've got this bioscan project where you could walk by in the nature lab at the NHM and there'd just be people entomologists sorting through whatever they found in the malaise traps and you're like, I'm watching new species be discovered.
Speaker 2: So cool.
Speaker 1: For more on this, you can check out the bio Scan project at my beloved Natural History Museum of Los Angeles County and doctor Brian V. Brown, who's also a diptorist or a dypturologist, has discovered five hundred species of ford fly and counting, including the world's smallest known fly, which is a wee Brazilian species just two one hundreds of an inch long or a third of a millimeter, which he named mega pro Pottyphoria Arnaldi. Brian Brown told the press a few years ago quote as soon as I saw these bulging legs, I knew I had to name this one after Arnold. He means Schwarzenecker, just saying you want to discover species flies people. Also, in reading about Brian's work with forid flies, I just tripped headfirst into an article about the coffin fly, which is a velvety black fly that can dig several meters down through dirt and get into coffins. So please disregard all my previous statements about California condors or ravens or vampire squids being the world's gothist creatures because I just don't think it gets more death metal than a coffin fly. And also those forehead or humpback fly babies, they're also agents of just gladiatorial horrors.
Speaker 2: The humpback flies a bad us because some of the tiniest flies, I think some of them are smaller than a grain of salt, and they eat ant heads. So the larvae will actually crawl into the ant and eat all the muscular chure around the jaws, and then they'll emerge and burst out of the ant's head, kind of like alien. So tiny flies can be super powerful as well.
Speaker 1: Flies are such mysteries, and they do have a lot on their mind, and they are plotting a lot. And this can be evidenced by the way that they rub their hands together. In Giselle Martinez's words, why do they rub their grubby little hands together every time they land on my food? Why are they doing the evil little hand rubbed thing. Lynn Reid wants to know. So what are they doing? Are they cleaning themselves? So many folks needed this info. I'm looking at you, patrons, Julia Hannah Frasier, Margo Beka Christensen, marx Orbach, Jared Abrams, Micah Deelman, Allen orn Standforth, Alex Hrtman, and first time question. I we're gonna call Broader who said I never appreciated flies until I saw one taking a moment for itself on my window. Sell and it was caressing itself so slowly and meditatively that it was really beautiful. I think it was giving itself the equivalent of a fly spa day. Are they cleaning their face? Are they cleaning their hands? What's happening there?
Speaker 2: It's funny because it looks like they're hatching a diabolical plot to kill you. Really, yeah, they are just cleaning themselves, especially their eyes because you know, they don't have eyelids like us, they can't blink to get rid of any debris. So they use their hands like little paws to like clear the dust and the bits of sticks on their eyes. And then they rub their hands together and get them off their hands. Because it's like if you ate, i don't know, like like a hot chocolate and it covered your tongue, you'd want to like, you know, cleanse the palate. So when they rub their hands together, they're technically cleansing their palate because they taste with their feet.
Speaker 1: Okay, so they taste with their okay, normal cool, no islands, got it? Actually, a lot of you, including Jacob Bowman, Penelote, Adkins, Sarah King, Ashley Curtains Or a young theater of vocen Reng Groves, and first time question asker Kate Waters and Deborah Kenley needed to know. What about their eyes though? How well do they see?
Speaker 2: Amazingly well? So their eyes are compound eyes, so instead of having you know, one lens per eye like us that we can focus, they actually have up to six thousand mini lenses called omitidia. And what happens is that the brain stitches all these more basic images together into this one image, and that's why they are so quick, because they can pretty much slow down time essentially. That's how they see, so they can see your hands swatting from miles away and then they can react. And what's really cool is some species have rudimentary eye spots above their big eyes, called selly and what these are. They look like three little dots in a triangle, and these actually can monitor different light levels. So when they're flying in rainforests when the sun comes out, they know where to go, and they can also orientate themselves a little bit more. So they have all this amazing sensory equipment in their head that is just incredible that we just have no idea about and we dismiss them. But flies are cool.
Speaker 1: What about fruitflies in science too? A bunch of listeners wanted to know how do you get rid of fruitflies? But also why are fruitflies used in so much genetic research?
Speaker 2: That's a really good question. And I think fruitflies have about eighty percent of the genes in common with humans, so they're really good models to test genetics. The impacts of drugs on them, and even NASA have been using fruitflies for decades. They've been setting them out into outer space to see what the effects of gravity and radio r on these fruitflies, using them as a model for humans. And the reason why they use fruitflies is because you can grow them like crazy in the lab. You can you know, you can upscale them, so you've got plenty of little little mini mice models. Essentially, it's a test on.
Speaker 1: So yes fruitfly science lovers or experimenters out there. Mallory Skinner, Erica Perryandre Lisa Saint, Kyli Chung, Lauren Legg and Popita Drosophilia. Flies do do a service for humans and we thank them for their sacrifice. And also thank you to patron and scientist Paul Smith who asked why fly napp smelled so good and made me google fly napp, which is fly anesthesia Night night, Sorry flies. Thank you now. Fruitfly haters, I'm looking at you, Jesse Hurlbert, Mallory lb naw Me, James Craig Collins, Celestisso and Sam Holmes. You may notice why the fly guy did not answer your question about committing dip terocide or getting rid of fruitflies, because this man is not about to give you directions for fly murder. But if you were to say, decant some apple cider or vinegar into a small bowl or cup, if you happen to cover that with plastic grap and poked a few holes, if they happen to go in there and party and then drown in a bath of this delicious liquid, well then that is their own choice. You can also just get rid of the soggy fruit in your house. That'll help too. If you want to hire an assassin, you can listen to the Carnivorous Photo Biology episode about meat eating plants and just invest in a sundew which will sit on your windowsill and do this dirty work for you. It's just a circle of life on your windowsill. Baby. I'm sorry, Brian. Okay, one more listener question, and I think you're going to appreciate it. Greg Collins, Laura Salisbury, Derek Allen, Elizabeth Hemenez, Baminik, Kendall Hargas. First time question asker Patty S. They all want to know, in your opinion, what is the cutest fly? Which flies are cute? Tell us which ones to look at?
Speaker 2: Oh my god, okay, oh okay, put on the spot. There's so many you should definitely check out the qt fly, which is a cute little bay fly. There is this ball of yellow fuzz with this little cute preposteris sticking out and actually inspired the qutfly from Pokemon. It looks exactly like that in real life, and you'd want to keep it as a pet.
Speaker 1: Okay, So I did search engine the Pokemon cutifly Akaa bumbalidii aka bee flies or humble flies, and yes, they are cute and they do look humble, and they're named after bumblebees, but they're flies. So if you were to cosplay as qutifly, you're a human posing as a fly, posing as a bee.
Speaker 2: So definitely check that one out. It's adorable.
Speaker 1: Can you keep flies as pets? Do people do it?
Speaker 2: I think? I'm sorry, I think you can. I think people do without realizing in the compost soldier flies with like leathery segmented worms that eat your compost. I've thought about designing some like activities for teachers that they can take in school to have their own mini livestock of black soldier flies, but I think it would be too gross and stinky.
Speaker 1: Well, I guess whenever you see a house fly, just think I have a pet fly for you know, maybe it'll be eight days, maybe eight minutes. Who knows.
Speaker 2: That's the beauty of the mystery, isn't it.
Speaker 3: Now?
Speaker 1: What about In all of this talk of what is good about flies? I always have to ask this, what sucks shit about flies? What do you hate about flies? What do you hate about your research? What's the worst thing about being a dipterrologist? Is it having something eat your flesh that's a baby? Like? What one sucks?
Speaker 2: I think crawling into dead animals is top of my list. When I was doing Crens against Homology, I remember stopping at roadkill and there was this massive wombat that got hit by a car and it was really sad because one bats are so cute, but it was huge, And I remember putting my gloves in and I crawled inside that thing to pull out these larvae that I was interested in to identify because I thought it might be a new species. And yeah, it's amazing. Starting out of friends and entomology lab feeding maggots smelling like death. I remember returning to my lectures and no one wanted to sit next to me because I smelled like and I couldn't smell anymore and everyone just moved away. So that's definitely one of the things.
Speaker 1: Oh gosh.
Speaker 2: And the other thing is how unfunded science is in generally, But that could be its own podcast, are you right?
Speaker 1: I love smelling like death and grants around the scene. The perks must outweigh it.
Speaker 2: Right, Definitely, like going to gorgeous places, going out in nature, making discoveries like that. That's what I'm passionate about.
Speaker 1: What is your favorite thing about flies? What do you respect the most about them? Where? How do they just burrow into your heart a little?
Speaker 2: Oh? I love that. Oh I hope it's not a botfly borrow into my heart because I think we just don't give wise enough credit. Like it just amazes me how so we're so dismissive, but they do so much for us in part of our everyday life. They they pollinate the hops that go in beer, They pollinate the grapes that we you know, make wine from. They give us chocolate, the recycling nutrients, I said, like flies of the original hipsters, because they only need organic and they love to recycle and they do this for free, and we just shit on them. And they're so important in the ecosystem. Yeah, so it's just this light inside me that needs to get out and shine and sing their praises because flies are so important and we need to start respecting them before it's too late and they become extinct through you know, climate change and deforestation. So now's the time, so we can, you know, discover all those species out there, name them and learn about them, what roles they do on the ecosystem, and protect the ones that need to help.
Speaker 1: I love that this summer or winter, depending on where you are, you might people might be inspired to go get a macro lens for their phone and just start looking at flies.
Speaker 2: I hope so because you honestly you don't know you could discover a species and you just science in your own backyard. I've had people post photos of flies they've seen in the garden and they've become new species, and I was so excited that, you know, so on on Instagram, just posted this photo of this gorgeous fly that has never been documented to science before. It's pretty cool.
Speaker 1: The dream, The dream. And on social media, where can people see more of your work and your flies.
Speaker 2: I'm on Instagram and Twitter at Brye the Fly Guy and this September, I'm actually releasing my first children's book on fies to encourage kids to get into flies and biodiversity and appreciate the world around them. So keep your eyes on these flies.
Speaker 1: I guess I love it. Thank you so much for being on. You were a joy time flu.
Speaker 2: Thank you so much for having the alley and letting me talk about flies and my crazy passion for them.
Speaker 1: So ask brilliant people ridiculous gross questions because now you know a lot about flies, and you can look for Briye the fly guy on social media that links to his websites in the show notes. He's so wonderful. We're at Ologies on Instagram and Twitter. I'm Ali with one L on both do say hello. You can put some Ologies merch on your bod We have bucket hats, we have swimsuits, totes, the works, all available at ologiesmerch dot com so you can find each other in the wild this summer. Thank you Susan Hale for managing merch and so much more. Thank you Aaron Talbert for admitting the Ologies podcast Facebook group, with assists from Shannon Felders and Bunny Dutch of the comedy podcast You are That Thank you Noel Dilworth for all the scheduling. Emily White of the Wordery heads up our professional transcripts, which are available for free on our website alongside Bleeped episodes by Caleb Patten. Those are at alleywoard dot com slash Ologies dash Extras. If you have small minds wanting some ologies, you can check out Alleyward dot com slash smologies and download those short, filth free episodes. Those are suitable for classrooms in all ages. Those are headed up by Zike Rodriguez Thomas and Mercedes Maitland of mind Jam Media, who are both great, with some assists by Stephen Ray Morris, also great. Nick Thorburn wrote and performed the theme music, and our lead editor is the mayor of Babe Town, shared Sleeper of Mindjam Media. Tonight is the Warriors versus Celtics game. My family is watching it right now. Warriors are up. I think halftime is about to start, so I'm literally recording this in the garage. I'm going to race back inside because time is of the essence and if you stick around until the end of the episode, I tell you a secret. And this week I was on a zoom and I realized it's really fucking weird to see your own face because for every other conversation you don't have to monitor your face. And I realized this is not a new revelation to have two years into a pandemic, when we've been living on this. But on this meeting, I just I opened up a note from my notes app on my computer, and I just made the window the size of my zoom face window, and I just popped it right on top of my own face, so I only saw everyone else's face. And I just loosened up a bunch, and I was like, huh, I feel like myself again, just in case anyone is doing a lot of zoom meeting still and that helps anyway. Also, I've had this Thompson Twins song called lies in my head, but instead fly Size, I keep thinking flies, flies flies. Yeah, so good luck getting that out of your head. Okay, bye, bye.
Speaker 2: Size.
Speaker 1: Get value.
Speaker 3: You can't argue with Antesco with their amazing cloub card prices. Have the perfect night in with their finest frozen pizza meal deal. Get the finest frozen pizza, chips and ice cream all for six euro like our delicious spicy salami, hot honey, and do you or Margarito wood fired pizza says served up with their crispy, chunky chips and ice cream like sea salta caramel or pistachio for dessert. Can't argue with that shopping store or online tesco. Every little helps available in most stories, Prices varying. Express