Speaker 1: Uncensored, unfiltered, fun, hinged.
Speaker 2: It's the Courel Cast.
Speaker 1: Listen daily on your favorite streaming service.
Speaker 3: Hello, and Happy Christmas. It is de Crell Cast. I am Carrel, so very glad you are joining me on this Christmas day. Ho Ho ho ho? Who you calling a ho?
Speaker 2: Honey?
Speaker 3: Well, I'm so glad you are here, and I hope that you're having a good day. I hope it's off to a good start. If not, I hope it gets better later. And if it's all just a wash, then let it go. Let it go, honey. You know you do what you can. So this Christmas show, I look back. We're doing best of shows the next, this rest of this week and next week. In this one, it's kind of bittersweet because I did a history of Christmas songs because many of them mean more than you think. And Daniel Charleston was in that and he gone now, so I wanted to play that. Also, before I became a vegan, I tried to still do healthier meals and I had a lovely gathering with Jules long Beach, a drag queen, fabulous drag queen, and with Amy James, James and Amy and they're gone now. I live in Las Vegas, and Jules is in Long Beach, and Amy is in Texas and Maillo, Texas or somewhere like that. So a lot of the people in what you're about to see have either moved away or have moved on quite literally. Morgan Mallory is in La not here in Vegas. But I wanted you to see these two segments and so I thought that I would play them for you today. You know, Christmas, now that it's here, it's about giving, it is, and you know, this year I gave some prey, not as many as I would have liked to, but I did give Jake and Heather and their families, and they're very happy with their they've already opened theirs.
Speaker 2: Steve Cabral of.
Speaker 3: Course got me presents, and I got Steve a present. I sent my friend Daniel Amspah the New share Book. I sent my friends David and Toby a vegan cookbook. Not you know, huge gifts, but something something to let them know I'm thinking of them. And if I could send each and every one of you a gift, if I had that money, if I were Oprah, you'd get a gift and you'd get a gift, and you'd get a gift, but I'm not. So what I want to send to you is my love and my gratitude this Christmas Day. I want you to know that you have been such an important part of my life for so many for decades now, children, decades. Going back over these shows and looking back makes me realize the body of work that you and I have experienced together, and it's really incredible, it really is. So I want you to find some joy today, whether it's just sitting at home and watching a marathon of something, or watching one of the great movies that are out the six Triple Eight on Netflix with Kerrie Washington. Very good film. I just saw that, and so you know, whatever it might be you're gonna do today, I want you to have fun and to claim your joy. And then tomorrow we all rip all this stuff. I am not one of those keep it up until January. Ah, Christmas over, it's coming down this weekend. Okay, it's beautiful. I love it, but out let the new year come. Okay, there's nothing in the news we need to talk about today.
Speaker 2: It's Christmas Day.
Speaker 3: Ignore it, turn it off unless there's a holocaust and even then, you know what, even then, if the world ends today, you don't need to read about it in the news, just experience it. Today is about family, friends, and about you, and about loving yourself even if there's no one else around. Love your pets. I'm holding embers so close and dear today. And yeh, she got presents. Oh did she get presents? Honey? Well, first of all, Monday she got aint, no glands, nails and a sido point shot. So she got presents. Tino got presents. You know, pets deserve present presents too. So love everybody, but love especially yourself. Today seven days from today, it's twenty twenty five, and we don't know what that's gonna be. We don't, we do not. So today, leave it alone, have some food, have some laughs, have some peace on earth. I love you all very much.
Speaker 2: All right.
Speaker 3: First we're gonna get to the dining segment, and then we're gonna do the history of Christmas songs segment, and then who knows it, we'll get into So let's go. There is no doubt that over the holidays, America loves to eat. Thanksgiving, forty six million turkeys make their way to the table Christmas, twenty two million turkeys, over five million gallons of cranberry sauce will be consumed, and six hundred million dollars spent on ready to eat pas like the one rat o it there on that bar. America loves to get together and eat with good friends like I do.
Speaker 2: Is there a better way to do it? Is there a way to make it better for you? There is? And we've done it tonight.
Speaker 3: We're gonna try some of that out as we're here at the food grove. And these are all of my friends. This is Jewels Jewels Long Beach. Say hello everyone to Jules long Bee.
Speaker 2: Hello Darling.
Speaker 3: This is Steve Cabral, friend of our show and friend of mine.
Speaker 2: Here we have.
Speaker 3: Amy Brown from is it Betty Brown or Brown Betty Bakery, Betty Brown, Betty Betty Brown, Betty Bakery, and she is applying just pastries to California and beyond some renown. Now, you know, calorically the white meat has less calories than.
Speaker 2: The dark meat.
Speaker 3: Dark meat has more calories than white meat. The dark meat, Yeah, I have less calories. But also true, well it's true.
Speaker 2: Well this was up. I'm special, so you know we got it.
Speaker 4: Going on I am actually going to you.
Speaker 2: Don't eat the turkey, do you? You're not into the birds. But I have to say, turkey skin is the thing that I missed.
Speaker 3: About Thanksgiving or about about Christmas?
Speaker 2: Do you like skin the thing that you love and miss some much? I am going to torture. I thought lest it out of eating.
Speaker 3: Fish pot cooked in your family, my mom and my sisters.
Speaker 2: So what did you have?
Speaker 3: No, your Mexicans, did you have those Jamali's nobis or at Christmas?
Speaker 2: Okay? So I grew up in a traditional family setting. The women always into.
Speaker 3: Cookie, so the men didn't do That's right, That's right. So you just you've fat farts just set.
Speaker 2: Around and watched the women cook all day.
Speaker 1: Isn't that?
Speaker 2: Now? Today, let me tell you what we did here.
Speaker 3: The broccoli stuffing is vegan and no gluten, and there's no carbs in an eisend. Now they say in the recipe that it's a great alternative for turkey dressing.
Speaker 2: Now we have the traditional dressing here, which I made with They have.
Speaker 3: A cup of butter, walnuts and pears, and oh us pork sauted with bacon grease.
Speaker 2: And we have this. So which of the two, the lighter alternative or the other? Do you like more? Well, I don't even think that's a question.
Speaker 3: There isn't one isn't No, it's gluten free, it's horse crap, and it's vegan.
Speaker 2: Now the cranberries.
Speaker 3: One is made with the fruit juice and with pineapple and with a cup of sugar, and the other is made with stebvy it instead of sugar.
Speaker 2: And water instead of fruits. So which of the two cranberries do you like with it? I think they're both amaza in this case.
Speaker 3: I actually think you could get away cutting the calories in the cranberry because they are both good.
Speaker 2: Now, according to a survey this year, the price of this meal.
Speaker 3: Went up to about fifty dollars because of dairy beans so expensive. Now, that's what I thought when I read it. They said fifty dollars total. I said, who the hell can feed a family of more than one person? That's what they said. From how I don't know. Now this was on special. This bird was only like nine dollars.
Speaker 2: But that I mean, so I'm supposed to spend forty one dollars on everything else? Are you kidding me? Yes?
Speaker 3: Now, see those yams with the with the pineapple, and you know what, they have one third the calorie of the other yams. The other yems have brown sugar and marshmallows and everything else. And the white potatoes are sweet potatoes and cauliflour with white cheeses which are lower in fat hard white cheeses as opposed to the other potatoes, which are just regular potatoes with cheddar cheese.
Speaker 2: From the fat.
Speaker 3: Directly, I think that the sweet potatoes with the pairs on the honey, there's actually better, right, And it's actually lowering to fat and lower in carbohydrates on the other So when planning a holiday, Neil, all you really have to do is say, okay, look there's some stuff I'm not gonna able to skim book.
Speaker 2: You know there's not people are gonna stitch it down. If you serve this and call the flower dressing, they're gonna spit it out. I'm telling you right now, they're gonna be like, what the hell is it? Well, it's not dressing, right, it's a vegetable side dish.
Speaker 3: It's not dressing. This is dressing. I have a cup of butter is dressing. And that's why by twenty thirty, we're all.
Speaker 2: Going to be completely obese.
Speaker 4: Freedom of vegetables. It's why is it?
Speaker 2: Why do we need stuffing? Why do we have bread? Why have you tasted that?
Speaker 4: That's really good?
Speaker 2: My late husband, who died of a heart attack, said, fat is flavor.
Speaker 3: Want to support the Correll cast, then like and subscribe the YouTube videos at the really Corral channel. Just go to YouTube dot com forward slas that's really corrall that's kr L and subscribe to the most exciting YouTube stream available today.
Speaker 1: If you're not visiting really corell dot com daily, you're missing out. Get the podcast videos and the blug including recipes at really correll dot com.
Speaker 2: Before we're all just center on this.
Speaker 3: My friend Daniel Charleston over here, a wonderful tenor and choir singer throughout southern California. Morgan Mallory my musical director, and he's my musical director for life and segments because this man can sing.
Speaker 1: Job.
Speaker 3: This year, it seems like they broke the Golden rule of Christmas, which was it? They started playing Christmas songs like in October, right before remember, like right before Halloween. And don't you think that is too early? Actually, I'll tell you why they're doing it. Though they're doing it, they have found out radio stations have found out their ratings triple when they go on holiday. They so now they're starting in November November first, and retailers are hoping this year to make five hundred million dollars in additional sales by starting the season three weeks prior to Black Friday. So now basically Halloween is the Aldea to them, ware to us is now Black Friday.
Speaker 2: Basically, if we.
Speaker 4: Haven't hit Thanksgiving, it it's too soon, right.
Speaker 2: That is the golden rule, isn't. And I think that's like one of those don't you agree.
Speaker 3: It's like one of those unspoken rules, if you know, if you haven't hit Thanksgiving. But that being said, there's a very interesting history to a lot of Christmas music, and some of them like have caused world peace, as you know, and others we don't really know much about. And that's even interesting, you know, in and of itself.
Speaker 1: I think initially it's just learning the verses and singing as songs as a kid, I don't really think about the history behind a lot of these songs. Right.
Speaker 3: The first one is God Rescued Mary Gentlemen, now we all you know, pretty much love that song, but this is one on the opposite end of not knowing the story with.
Speaker 2: God rescued Mary. Gentlemen, we don't know who wrote it.
Speaker 3: We know that it came around in about seventeen ninety, and there's been an argument over what Mary has meant. What do you think Mary means? Are they happy? Are they gay? What's Mary meaning? Are they mighty?
Speaker 2: Mary mighty?
Speaker 3: Well, there was an argument that Mary might have meant mighty, so God rest he mighty.
Speaker 4: Gentlemen, let nothing you dismay.
Speaker 2: Some just thought it meant just happy Robin hood and is merry men right? But they were very happy, No, they were.
Speaker 4: I know I saw those times. And if we don't know who wrote it, it kind of gives us the opportunity to are you.
Speaker 2: Saying, if you don't know who wrote it, I can't mess everything up. You don't care.
Speaker 4: You take artistic license with the melody.
Speaker 5: And that's the fun part of Christmas music because everybody always redoes it so many different ways every year. There's so much freedom, gotta esteem reagents, then nothing dismay.
Speaker 6: Remember the christ Us say.
Speaker 3: Was born on Christmasday to save the saw from SAT's power, we need come stray boon tis comfort and.
Speaker 2: Comfort j.
Speaker 3: Times of comfort and joy.
Speaker 2: Well should we clap to clap in your living room? I feel like I should clap God, the one I such talented friends. I love that. So back in eighteen eighteen they did the Christmas Eve song and that the organ was broken.
Speaker 3: So the parish priest said, hey, we have a good time, right absolutely, but that really wasn't heard of for a Christmas you know, Carol or Christmas hynd.
Speaker 2: So they said, well, let's just be unconventional and they wrote Silent Night. So then in nineteen fourteen.
Speaker 3: The world was at war, the world was absolutely at war, and it was Christmas Eve yet again, and the Allied troops, the Germans were fighting the French, and there were some Americans there too, and it was, you know, a night like any other, except that they knew it was Christmas Eve. And so the Germans in their foxholes started singing Silent.
Speaker 4: Night in German as it was originally written.
Speaker 2: And the French, hearing this and knowing the.
Speaker 3: Song, started singing Silent Night as well, and Americans that were there started singing Silent Night as well. Well. Suddenly the most remarkable thing happened, and the people came out of the trenches and started talking to each other and sharing rations and sharing liquor and having a Christmas Eve party and waking up Christmas Morning and not annihilating each other, having a smiss morning.
Speaker 2: They didn't go back to killing each other until the day after.
Speaker 3: I'm told but right, but exactly, Well, if you think about it, one other song has literally brought about world peace.
Speaker 2: Isn't this one of your favorites? Is this one of your favorite?
Speaker 4: Yeah, everyone's. It really is everyone's standard for every Christmas Eves.
Speaker 2: Since eighteen eighteen.
Speaker 6: The nice Ohne is come is fries Raw Youngsionther and.
Speaker 3: Child, wol.
Speaker 6: Fan Soder and seevenly inven.
Speaker 2: Absolutely beautiful, absolutely beautiful.
Speaker 3: Bridget, my friend, Bridget may fly tomorrow, may not. American airlines canceling flights causing disasters. Twenty flights here are canceled in Las Vegas, flights canceled across the country. They're blaming two really the ridiculous things, weather and staffing. First of all, we can talk about colonizing Mars, but we can't make airports, airplanes and transportation that can actually withstand planet Earth. Is that what you're telling me that our transportation system is so delicate that if things that have been happening for thousands of years storms happen, it's them all down. If that's the case, then flying is not the best alternative for us. First of all, if it's so fragile that some weather can just shut it all down, get a new waid to travel. That's the first thing. Second of all, staffing, I don't know that many flight attendants and all of that that have quit because of COVID. I know that you're having trouble keeping staff because you can't stop people from attacking them another flight attendant with a broken nose. I feel flight attendants should now be able to take your ass out, Okay, if you are unruly, they should have a blowgun with a dart and that's it. You are tranked like a rhino, breaking people's noses, causing all this hoopla. You are an a tube hurling through the air. Try that crap with me on your plane. It ain't gonna take anyone to defend the flight attendant. I'm gonna get up, I'm gonna deck your ass. Okay, Because we love those videos. Now, these maga idiots, these maskless morons, these Karens, just getting a people faces or even trying to attack them, and then someone else comes along and throws their ass down. That's gonna be me because I had enough of you all. Okay, my tolerance level for y'all is done. Okay, here's my tolerance level. Here's the rest of the world. It's way above. I will smack the whole. I will smack the badness out of you. Okay, try to attack a flight attendant that I need to get me something, You're gonna You're gonna distract the little attention I can get from the damn flight attendant to get me some water or some tea or from whatever, not that I ask them for much. There ain't much you should do on a plane that they can do. Don't You should bring your own water. Don't drink the water on a plane. And if you're gonna drink tea, if he at least to heat the water, God knows how. And truly if it comes out of a can or something, okay, like you can do you can do that. They ain't serving alcohol that much anymore or why because y'all can't act right, So that brings the question why do we fly? We now know from the Climate Summit, where nothing is gonna happen, they're going to talk about blah blah blah blah blah. We now know that we should all fly less. Okay, that's one of the things coming out of the summit, less air travel. I know tourism industry bureaus don't want to hear that, but less air travel. I really feel most people should that they should not travel for business. In other words, if you have to, like you're an entertainer, or you have to go physically be in the spot for your job, okay, but traveling to meetings and traveling to stuff that we can now do via zoom and video, no, that should just all stop. So like one third to one half of the travel could just stop. But why do we fly? Why have we not invented something better? The weather brings airplanes to a screeching halt. They still fall out of the sky and clear people or kill people, albeit rare, you can't have fun on them anymore. There nothing about them is enjoyable. Airports are not fun. The screening process is not fun. Being on the plane unless you're in first class is not fun. Nothing about air flying is pleasurable. So why do we do it? Is this who we are? We are We've really become a species of sado masochist. We get ourselves into situations where we are abused and we stay in those. Flying is a great example. Getting a ticket not a fun thing, either expensive or b there's all these restrictions. And now you can bring like two T shirts and a pair of underwear, but if you bring more than that, they're gonna charge you by the item. You know, I mean you have to strip to go through or pay one hundred dollars to be tsa preed and even then to I mean, there's none of it is enjoyable unless you're filthy rich. And that that just is for everything in life. If you're filthy rich, then so none of it's enjoyable. We don't lie. How many of you like flying? How many of you like being close to a person next to you that you don't know?
Speaker 2: Then you have been to.
Speaker 3: People that you love? Okay, truly, you get on a plane and the person next to you, if you're not flying with someone in your family, is more up in your business than your partner. Okay, I mean truly they're right there. That ain't fun. Being crammed into the seat ain't fun. Look I lost one hundred and ten pounds, I'm still crammed into the damn seat. Who are they made for munchkins? Boarding never fun? Never fun? Southwest is the worst. But if you know I preboard, oh yeah, I'll preboard. Get mad at me, go ahead. I have a handicapped plaque, I have a service dog. They let me preboard. Get mad at me, you betch I'm a march down there in front of y'all cause y'all take too long. You block the aisles. They say, oh, don't block the aisles, But you block the aisle not just to put your stuff up top, but to put your stuff in the seat there, you cordia, take off your jacket, to take off this, you put on a little makeup, perhaps, do your head gets the water whatever, Get the hell out the aisle. But you don't hold everybody up. And then you're sly. And if there's two of you, like you're trimveling alone, someone else is. So y'all sit on both ends and you leave the middle seat empty because you think, well, who's gonna come along and take a middle seat. And then guess what the biggest, ugliest, smelliest person that's getting on the airplane, The largest one barely fits through the door. That who's spy. That's who spies your middle seat, and they always come and take it. Always. Oh, I'll sit over by the window, which is evil because the windows are filthy, they're not cleaned in between. People lean up against them, snot all over them. But I figured, well, I used to go to bathhouses. What the hell so you know the window? I mean, really, if you're gonna get a window seat, bring your own bleach. Okay, spray the damn window with the bleach and spread all because that whole area there is not cleaned. You think they go down during the look those flight attendants barely have time to put their undergarments back on. Okay, let alone go down every seat and wipe down every rest, wipe down the wall of the plane where the window is. They don't do that. Ahuh, So you hop on, You think, O, i'm'll get a window seats a little more room, and then you lean your head up against the icy cold window where god knows some booger ridden kid has been snotting. Just wrap before you and before that's some man with the COVID with breathing on it and coughing and hacking how to oh yeah, oh no, but you, but I got to have a window seat. Then, of course if you try to get an aisle seat, your foot's gonna get run over by the cart. People are gonna pass you on the way to the bathroom, someone like me with the toot's probably come bin and toot in your face. The middle seat is really the only safe seat because you got the person from the window and the person from the aisle protecting you.
Speaker 2: But of course then you're.
Speaker 3: Sitting with your shoulders all folding, your chest all folded in. Flying is not fabulous. Why it's like driving? Roads are horrible, Traffic is terrible. Thirty five thousand people a year die in automobiles, and yet we still make them the same way. We still plan roads the same way we don't plan any other form of transport. What is it with us? We like being abused? Yes? Please can I have another?
Speaker 1: Oh?
Speaker 3: Yes, they're lines cut all of my frills, make my seat minuscule, make flying, Hell, let me line up to do it?
Speaker 1: Mm hmm.
Speaker 3: What are the alternatives? Carill drive take a train. What about overseas take a boat. There are ways to get places with that. Another Well, that takes too long. What's your damn rush? Why have things to do? What destroy the planet?
Speaker 1: You know?
Speaker 3: To get from Las Vegas to Long Beach on an airplane, if I do an hour at the airport before and then a half hour to get to the airport, plus the hour flight, that's two and a half hours. I can drive in four and a half hours. So literally it's just two extra hours to drive. And I'm in my own vehicle. I'm in, you know, with my own I can stop, i can pee, I got plenty of room. I know that it's old fashioned, but sometimes driving does beat flying. And I'm not for driving. By the way, we should have a high speed train from Las Vegas to to La environmentally friendly. There's a thing called the Flicks bus. That's a good alternative. It's a six hour drive.
Speaker 2: It's sick.
Speaker 3: It's like nine dollars to go to LA from Vegas. There are other ways? Why do we do the things that we hate? I don't understand this in one area, like the great resignation that started the show with you, you're resigning from jobs that you hate, okay, and yet what are you doing in life? You're driving cars you don't like and spending seventy thousand dollars for things that are stuck in traffic, that guzzle expensive gasoline and that you stand a risk of dying in. Let me give you know fifty K for that. And then you fly, you hop on an airplane, you get bad customer service. Airports are terrible, the security search is terrible. All of it's terrible until you get to your destination where you're wrung out and tired and ridden hard and put away wet, and then you're you need you know, you need a data recover. Now when you fly, when you get to your destination, you need like a data recover from the horror of the trip. And yet we pay for this, We pay for this horror. I don't understand why we fly as American cancels Southwest. Now, when you buy a ticket, it's like a lottery whether you don't get there or not. While have an American Airline ticket, Oh, better spin the wheel and see if you're leaving, say the Southwest? What is up? Hey, correl here? And I'd like to take a moment to thank all the patrons at Patreon. Your support means the absolute world to me and the show. If you'd like to show your support for the crazy endeavors of the Correll Cast, then please go to Patreon dot com, forward slash really Carrel. That's Patreon dot com, forward slash, really Corell, and please help get those number up by subscribing to the YouTube channel YouTube dot com forward slash really Correl. There's so much great free content there, it's like having a network on your TV, phone or tablet. All social media is really Corel, including threads and Instagram, and don't forget the website that's had it all all along, Really Correl dot com. Without your support, the show simply doesn't work. So please listen on all streaming services, watch and subscribe on YouTube, and support the show through Patreon at Patreon dot com, forward slash really Corel. Thanks from thirty years of support to the loudest, craziest, most unhinged gay guy and his little dog. And let's keep the party going as long as we can.
Speaker 2: I am Corel.
Speaker 3: Merry Christmas, be who you want to be, so long as it doesn't hurt anybody.
Speaker 7: It's from a completely different point of view yours listen daily to the Coral cast on your favorite streaming service. It's broadcasting from a completely different point of view. Yours listen daily to the corell cast on your favorite streaming service.