Speaker 1: Welcome Friends is podcast podcasting time show JACKI again Ryan talking about by Now podcast.
Speaker 2: On read.
Speaker 3: Someone is playing a deadly game.
Speaker 2: It all began with the scream over nine one one.
Speaker 3: No, he's taken his love of fear. Hella, hello, Sidney, one step too far.
Speaker 2: Any here, never ever, ever, under any circumstances say I'll be right back. I'll be right back.
Speaker 3: He didn't make the rules, He just kills by them. Squeam. Welcome to a movie film commentary track. My name is Zaki Hassan and Brian Hall.
Speaker 2: Yes, do you like scared movies? I like this one.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's a short list, but this is definitely on there.
Speaker 2: I was wondering with this popping up in our feet if people are like, oh, the movie film boys don't talk about horror movies very often.
Speaker 3: You know. We like to mix things up every once in a while.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, And I would say, I mean, we've been doing this for over a decade now, and I feel like we watch a lot more in recent years than we used to.
Speaker 3: You know, when people ask him what genres I like, I tend to say I'm open to anything good in any genre, and that applies to horror as well, absolutely, and certainly for Scream, which is the subject of our commentary track today. The timing is apropos in a multitude of ways. Number One, as we speak, we are on the eve of the release of Scream seven seven, yeah, which is itself nuts. But we are speaking in the year that is the thirtieth anniversary of the first film's release.
Speaker 2: Yeah, which lines up nicely. But we have been talking about this one for years. I feel like, you know, it's nice to finally be here.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and who knows, maybe we are beginning another journey through an entire franchise.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, Well, I gotta say I did watch two, three, and four, Oh wow, after I watched this one. Really Okay, I watched this one a little early to prepare, and I had a couple of nights where I didn't have anything to watch, and I was like, well, I don't remember two very well. So I did two, and I was like three, then I did four.
Speaker 3: So wow, See, you're more caught up than me, because it's been a minute since I've seen those ones. Okay, yeah, yeah, but yeah it you know, it was what a time capsule this movie is.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, definitely. I mean, and that's what's so weird is because they're still coming out. Yeah, and they still have you know, major characters and actors appearing in them. It doesn't feel like it's been as long. But then when you really think about it, yeah, this is the mid nineties. We're talking about thirty years that is.
Speaker 3: You know, this is a discussion I was having that somebody and anybody listening, feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, but I feel like this is the only horror franchise to have lasted this long and maintain a single continuity, right, yeah, right, I think this is it.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I'd be happy to know if anyone is different.
Speaker 3: Because there's there's franchises that have lasted longer, but they've restarted, you know, sometimes multiple times, right right. But Scream is what it is, and I think that's why we like it. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm looking forward to getting into why we like this movie, especially not being horror ficionados.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Yeah, well, hey, let's let's do it. So we are going to watch nineteen ninety six is Scream the first film, not to be confused with the twenty twenty one film also called Scream.
Speaker 2: Right, which is actually Scream five.
Speaker 3: That is a scre five of them, as I call it, yeah.
Speaker 2: Which sounds like the way John Lovets would sneeze five.
Speaker 3: Now there there there was like a like an unrated cut released on DVD at some point.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And I gotta be honest, I'm a little confused about which is the major available version because reading about the you know, cuts that they had made I feel like I saw those cuts in the version I watched, which is labeled as rated R. So so.
Speaker 3: I'm I'm watching the one that's available. I don't I have not seen it readily available an unrated cut.
Speaker 2: Same. Yeah, I'm watching the one that's you know, off of Voodoo, the one from Paramount Plus, and it's labeled as being rated R.
Speaker 3: And it's an hour and fifty one minutes and three seconds.
Speaker 2: Yeah, exactly.
Speaker 3: So that's what we're watching. If you got that handy you could, you can cue it up and if you want to watch along with this. If not, you know, we'll try to do our thing to make the conversation interesting. Hopefully we pull you in. But either way, we're about to do this. I'm ready, all right, So we'll do the usual thing. I will count to three, one, two, three, and then play ready, Brian.
Speaker 2: I'm ready.
Speaker 3: Here we go, one, two, three, play Dimension films.
Speaker 2: Even that takes me back.
Speaker 3: That's a blast from the past, right yeah, Beck when this was a Disney owned franchise.
Speaker 2: Right wow, Yeah, you know it's funny too. By the way, So that scream title card that appears right there, yeah, I'm used to. I've seen so many of the other ones now, I'm used to that more kinetic stylize, you know, like a slash coming across the screen and the letters coming at you. And so I was I haven't watched this one in many years, and so seeing that, I was like, oh, that looks like something made in like a Microsoft text program. You know, it just looks so right aged versus the title cards we get now, which is kind of funny. But I gotta say, I think the movie itself, I mean, looking at it right now, appears pretty ageless to me. Yeah right, I mean even not just the look of the film, but even the styles we see in it, Like it doesn't feel overtly nineties. I feel like a movie, I mean, Clueless is an exaggeration of the nineties. But you know what I'm saying, Yeah, like big Neon colors, or you know, hammer Pants or anything like that.
Speaker 3: Well, I think that goes to Wes Craven, who who had a similar sensibility with the first Nightmare on Elm Street. I think I think that one is more ageless than some of the other films in that series. Sure, right, right, you know, admit it. I mean, that's the only one I've seen recently, is hit the original Nightmare on Elm Street. Same Actually, yeah, you know, but you know, you dip into the other one. The other ones feel much more.
Speaker 2: Eighties sure, yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 3: You know Wes Craven who was trying to get away from the horror genre and it kept getting its claws into him. You know, isn't that kind of interesting?
Speaker 2: I mean, he is just synonymous with horror. He's on the Mount Rushmore of horror.
Speaker 3: That says to direct horror.
Speaker 2: That's true, that's true, But I mean creating one of the most iconic horror icons of all time. But yeah, he wanted to make music of the heart, you know, with Meryl Street interesting.
Speaker 3: Which he did do after the first two Screams.
Speaker 2: Finally got to do it. He got the whatever cachet back that he needed because he was he was I think struggling a little bit before this, right like he had he had done. I want to say the Wes Craven's New Nightmare.
Speaker 3: Which is good. Yeah, that's a good movie.
Speaker 2: I enjoyed that one. You know, It's funny. I saw that one recently too, because they were doing like a horror series at my local movie theater and they played one and New Nightmare, and New Nightmare feels like it's walking toward this movie a little bit, and it's metanists and you know, the tropes of a horror film playing into the plot. But this, this movie is just perfection because it's the marriage of an ex horror director and I just I don't want to just limit to horror, just like thriller director. I mean, this movie really, to me feels more like a thriller mystery than a horror film. And you've got this incredibly sharp script from Kevin Williamson, right.
Speaker 3: Kevin Williamson really coming out the barrel hot.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, yeah, although he might not feel that way because he had written teaching Missus Tingle before this and I know what you did last summer before this, which people didn't have any interest in. And then one night I guess he was home alone and watching movies and I think he watched a documentary or something about a killer and.
Speaker 3: The Gainsborough Killer I think it was.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and it just all fed into his imagination. And then he came up with this script which became super hot, Big Bidding War, and then this relaunched the slasher genre, right, and so then all of a sudden, you know, the script for I Know What You Did Last Summer, which nobody wanted, became a hot item after this, which I had forgotten. I lumped that in with this era, but I had forgotten that he was actually a part.
Speaker 3: Of that, right, But but I mean the version that was made, he he didn't really have much to do with. That's my understanding.
Speaker 2: Oh okay, okay, I can see that.
Speaker 3: Like like he did an earlier draft. I could I could be wrong, but obviously just just putting putting his name on it, you know from the writer's scream that that match. Sure? Yeah, right, right now we should talk about Drew Barrymore playing Janet Lee role in this movie exactly. Yes, Now, initially, what what got what what got this movie rolling was the fact that she was interested in in starring in it. They wanted her to play Sydney, and her schedule didn't allow for it, so so instead she does the cameo, which is so much better, right not it not even because like I think she would she probably would have been just fine as Sydney, but I think I think she was a big enough star that whereas with Nev Campbell, who was familiar but not as familiar, there was still a sense of danger. I think if Drew Barrymore plays Sydney, she's you go in thinking she's gonna make it to the end.
Speaker 2: And she was on the poster, yeah, right, Like that's her face with her mouth being covered by a hand on the poster, so you think this is a Drew Barrymore movie, which is brilliant because then, yeah, it lures you in with her star power, and I think it adds something to this opening like vignette, right. I mean, you could put a really talented actress that you don't know as well, and I'm sure she would crush it. But there's something about having Drew Barrymore's starlight, you know, going off in this whole thing that just really makes it this movie pop off.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know that's something they continued to do with the sequels, you know, with Jada Pinkett right in the next one, and then and then leave Schreiber in the beginning of the third one.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, and then in the fourth one they go like crazy meta where it's like a movie with then a movie with then a movie all with stars, you know, these sort of cold opens. But it's interesting too because Drew Barrymore was also kind of in a interesting part of her career, right, Like she had been a child star, obviously she was.
Speaker 3: She was in between wild child flashing her boobs at Letterman and hey, I love Flowers and Rain.
Speaker 2: Exactly, I mean exactly that, and she was making stuff like Poison Ivy, you know, kind of like a Skinemaxy sort of movie.
Speaker 3: And she was one of she was one of the Amy Fishers, if I'm not mistake.
Speaker 2: Exactly like a made for TV Amy Fisher movie, I believe, Yeah, and which we wouldn't associate her with now, you know, she's like Drew Barrymore producer mogul, right, yeah, So she had this little dip for a moment there, and then remember she was like almost you know, she had four lines as like a minor henchwoman and Batman forever.
Speaker 3: Yep, just the year before this.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but then she just popped right back after this with wedding singer and ever after and never been kissed and you know, never Charlie's Angels. Charlie's Angels of course. Yeah, you know. I this opening is so iconic, and it's funny to also think of it as like classic now because I don't think of it as classic because I was there right now thirty years later. This is kind of classic.
Speaker 3: I mean, I mean, this is Marilynd Crane in the shower, you know. Yeah, yeah, that level of iconic. And by the way, I should say I didn't know until this scene in this exchange just now that Jason Boorhees is not the killer in the First Friday of the thirteenth, because I had not seen that movie.
Speaker 2: I probably learned that from this too. Yeah. Yeah, but that's this is such a I really am excited to talk about this moment. But I mean, this is post pulp fiction, right, which is in nineteen ninety four where dialogue got a little bit more you know, conversational, right, So this is like a really fun it's conversational, but it's also menacing, you know, it's sort of like the best of all the worlds of this moment.
Speaker 3: You got a little Tarantino, little Kevin Smith.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, it's meta, it's terrifying. It's referencing movies like the That was the thing that happened in the nineties, right, people characters in movies started talking about movies, right like Clerks. I remember watching Clerks and it was revelatory where they were talking about star wars in a movie. That's right, because I'm like, well, that's what I think about, you know. And so that's what's so brilliant about this. It isn't just a slasher movie. This is a slasher movie being experienced by characters who are familiar with slasher movies.
Speaker 3: That's right, by the way, this bit right here where the killer says, what door am I at? You only realize on reviewing how devious that is because he's at both doors.
Speaker 2: Yes, because there's two of them. Yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 3: That's definitely. This is one of those movies that really does hold up to rewatch is because you start realizing all the ways that that Stu and Billy are laying out their their scheme.
Speaker 2: That's that's what makes an interest.
Speaker 3: Story spoiler to anyone listening to us talk through a thirty year old movie. But Stu and Billy are the killers.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so I mean you can watch it for the first time and try to figure it out, which is a one of the biggest components about why I love these movies is they're mysteries.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Right, And but then when you rewatch it, Yeah, you're trying to figure out which appearance of ghost face is who? Yeah, right, And I think I hadn't remembered this. But later when the kids are talking, they say that Stu was dumped by Casey, the Drew Barrymore character.
Speaker 3: Ah So, because I.
Speaker 2: Was wondering, like, Okay, this is a great cold open, but why are they going after her because she's not related to Sydney's family or any of that trauma. But it's like, well, apparently he was dumped by her, and so I mean this could be like a warm up for them or you know.
Speaker 3: Hmm makes sense.
Speaker 2: Yeah, also, oh you know.
Speaker 3: Please, Well, the the initial warm up was, of course Sydney's mom.
Speaker 2: Well that's good point, good point a year earlier, right, and.
Speaker 3: And real quick, actually, while we're talking about which ghost faces, which the ghost face that's about to pop up right right here in just a second. That is Wes Craven. Oh really yeah, this guy right here, that's Wes Craven. Oh funny, he took one on the bean as she hits him with the cell the not even the cell phone on the court list. Yeah, this scene, this scene terrifies me. It really does. Just that sense of like they're so close, her parents are so close. Yes, it's just it's even now. I mean, I'm a forty six year old man, I still find this terrifying.
Speaker 2: Yes, And there's that horrifying nightmare feeling where her parents are right there and she's trying to call for them but you can't get them ways out. Yeah, and you know, I mean this the opening, this and the ending of the movie are really disturbing. Yeah, you know what I mean, like seeing this girl killed just feet away from her parents, and just thinking about these kids, these maniacal kids playing god and just killing their peers.
Speaker 3: And really messed up.
Speaker 2: And then the last act where they're just maiming each other and you're just thinking about it, like they're just kids, and they're.
Speaker 3: So they're supposed to be in high school. They look like they're you know, thirty two, right, right, but yeah, they're supposed to be in high school.
Speaker 2: But like that disturbing element I think is good because that's what grounds this movie. Yeah, right, because if it was just fun, then I don't think this mystery, this take on a horror film would work quite right if it was just a romp. Yeah, we need to feel bad about all this.
Speaker 3: So that's something really essential, right, is that the longer the nineteen eighties slasher franchises would go on, the more people started rooting for the killer exactly right. You know, Freddy Krueger became the star, and it's like, what crazy way is Freddie gonna kill people? And I find that very discomforting, you know, And and I don't think that's the case with Scream, partly because there there is no ghost face, right, It's not a person, it's a presence, and so you're not really rooting for ghost face, right.
Speaker 2: You know, right, like you just want to figure out what's going on and you want to need to survive, that's right. Yeah. So yeah, I mean every time I watch this movie, the opening upsets me, and even the ending I find just really upsetting. Just didn't by the way that.
Speaker 3: That bit right there, real quick, all right, I mean interrupt he says, drive down to the Mackenzies. That's a little call out to the First Halloween where Lorie Strode says the same thing, right right right, and then and then Kevin Williamson, who wrote Halloween h twenty, which came out just a couple of years after this, he has he has Laurie say drive down to the Beckers.
Speaker 2: So it's oh funny, Yeah, I like that.
Speaker 3: Sorry, I didn't mean to interrupt you.
Speaker 2: No, no, no, no, I just I just feel like that's part of what makes the upsetting nature of it and making these feel like real kids, and we don't want them, we don't feel great about them doing these things. That is what makes this more grounded and you know, thrilling and vital as we're in urgent, as we're as we watch them, you know.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 2: So we got a what's his name? Uh, skeet alrich Ye looks a lot like Johnny Deppy.
Speaker 3: Clearly he was cast. It's based on his right, Johnny Depp in the First Night right down Street.
Speaker 2: Yep, by the way, this whole door closet conceit where they bump into each other, so the you know, person can't get in the Sydney's bedroom.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I remember thinking like, ah, what a bed does you know watching these movies, even though it's great, it's brilliant for the action sequence. But then my brother and his wife bought a house and they have this exact situation really because sometimes I'll go over there and like house it or dog sit or something, and when I try to go in through the back, if their closet doors open, that door the garage door will bump into it. And every time I'm.
Speaker 3: Like, well, I'll be that's really funny.
Speaker 2: It actually does work that way.
Speaker 3: By the way. One thing that you realize on rewatch is the whole reason Billy shows up here when you think about it, it's to distract Sydney. Yep, because Stu is kidnapping the dad. Oh yeah, right, right, because the dad wearing the exact same clothes at the end of the movie.
Speaker 2: That's right, because he's supposed to be at a conference. And then later they say that he never checked into that hotel, so he never made it there.
Speaker 3: So you realize like, oh, yeah, that's kind of brilliant, and he's.
Speaker 2: Acting kind of weird.
Speaker 3: Yep.
Speaker 2: You know, you could think he's just brooding teen or something, but like, yeah, there's like a whole thing going on downstairs he's trying to keep her from Yeah, exactly, that's good. You know. I wanted to call something out that related to the first scene, which is I read this thing where you know, Bob Weinstein, who I guess produced this, did both Weinsteines produce this?
Speaker 3: I think dimension was more Bob's dominion.
Speaker 2: Okay, that's my understanding too, But I guess after watching the dailies from the opening because that was the first thing they shot, like the first five days of shooting was the Drew Barrymore sequence.
Speaker 3: Okay.
Speaker 2: He criticized Wes Craven's work as workmanlike at best. Okay, isn't that amazing? And he also said that he thought the mask was flat and not scary, and so he demanded that they reshoot the opening scene with different masks to figure out which one worked best. But it's funny because, as we were saying, I mean, that opening scene is iconic and the tension is crazy, and like, I look to these movies as an example the way I like movies to look. Right, you know what I mean they're shot with these anamorphic lenses that give it that, you know, distorted, highly cinematic feel that I think add to a lot of the tension. Yeah, you know, I think the editing is really well done. So it's just ironic all these years later that Craven was having to listen to that as he was shooting, as he was going on to make something that everybody.
Speaker 3: Would it's it's it's similar to the type of notes that Bob Zamachus had to deal with while while making Back to the Future. Right, you know that in hindsight are hilarious, you know.
Speaker 2: Right right, yeah, right right? You know it was kind of funny and fortuitous. Was last night I was flipping channels on Pluto, if you can even call those channels, and a scary movie was on Means Brother's Parody, and I watched like the first thirty or forty minutes of it. Yeah, and I hadn't seen it in a while. I'd seen a chunk of it a couple months ago, but now having just rewatched screen, I didn't realize how almost beat for beat a movie is riffing.
Speaker 3: It's like a mad magazine parody of this movie.
Speaker 2: You know yet right down to the dialogue in this scene where you know, he's wanting to like get more physical and she's like, would you settle for pg? Thirteen? Like all that, I was like, oh wow, it was. It was fun to see it riffed, but it's so fresh in my head.
Speaker 3: The intro with the Carmen Electra that's that's the in the Drew Barrymore rule. That's right. Scary movie. By the way, of course, the original title for this one, which it kept fairly late into the process.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I think all their rap gifts and everything had scary movie printed on them, is what I read. I read also that they had a high school set up that.
Speaker 3: They have like Santa Rosa, some kind of high school in Santa Rosa.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and they, you know, were all prepared to shoot there. But then I guess us the school read the script. I don't know why they wouldn't have in the first place. Yeah, right, just because of how violent it was. I guess what I had read. I don't know how accurate this is, but they had been under the impression that it was a comedy, okay, and so then looking at it again, seeing how violent it was, they pulled out at the last minute.
Speaker 3: Yep.
Speaker 2: So did you see this We're in the credits, yep. Under the special thanks they put no thanks whatsoever to the Santa Rosa City School District governing board.
Speaker 3: Yep. Yeah, apparently they had like a like a a kind of kind of a handshake deal and then yeah, it all fell through at the end. Yeah, yeah, it is. It is funny to watch these so called high school kids and be like, they do not, in any way, shape orform look like high school kids.
Speaker 2: No, but it was the style at the time, right.
Speaker 3: That's we'll see. That's I don't watch enough like teen movies these days to know if that has changed at all.
Speaker 2: Ye, that's a good question.
Speaker 3: I don't know. Right, one presumes that remained the style.
Speaker 2: Right, I don't know. I mean it used to be because of like working hours. Right, Like if you had an actor who was over a certain age, you didn't have to worry about on set tutoring and they can only work X amount of hours a day, and so instead of I'm hitting a sixteen year old, hire a twenty two year old who looks sixteen.
Speaker 3: Right, Yeah, but I mean nev Campbell does not look like a teenager. This. I don't know, maybe I'm maybe I'm wrong.
Speaker 2: You know, it's funny, Yes, yes, And I caught like two seconds of the movie Valley Girl the other night and I was like, these guys look like they're thirty two. Yeah, you know what I mean, like even older than the characters in this movie, at least they Well I don't know how it would have felt back then, but now, you know, being in my forties, I think they look young in quotes.
Speaker 3: Yeah you know what I mean. Yeah, exactly.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean this Scary movie. It's just so fick because that's the one that's fresh in my mind now.
Speaker 3: So yeah, I look at this scene here and I imagine the Scary Movie parody version, Yeah, with Sean Wayns and with Shannon Elizabeth. Right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, what an amazing shot though, too, Isn't it like that just really utilizes the widescreen there and we get all those kids lined up from edge to edge.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's great.
Speaker 2: You know, it's funny because sometimes I will talk about movies now and we're recording this in twenty twenty six, where I'll hear kids talking younger kids, teens or something, and I get a little annoyed with younger characters speak, you know, like I would say now. To me, it feels like this kind of faux improv attempting to sound natural style, like very self aware, where they're always.
Speaker 3: Like okay, mumblecore.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like you know, they'll say something like that gives me the ick? Did I just say that right now? You know, like that kind of thing. But to be fair, Zachi our era might have been even more annoying because I mean, we really think about it, this movie is like stepping into that very knowing, yeah, you know, overly flowery sort of dialogue. But Dawson's Creek would just jump into the deep end of the pool with it.
Speaker 3: A deep end of the creek. Yeah, and well I remember a Dawson's Creek where somebody said to somebody like, you know, I see a sense of melancholy on your face. And I was like, bullshit, bullshit.
Speaker 2: Nobody says that, right, or even I mean clerks, which I still adore clerks, but you know, they talk in this really yeah, flowery sort of way that's fun to listen to, but you would never encounter people just that's not casual conversation.
Speaker 3: I think that to some extent, you sort of have to look at it like William speak and Smith speak and Tarantino speak and Mammut speak and sork and speak, you know what I mean, Like you're just in the world of this writer, and this is how characters written by this writer speak.
Speaker 2: And when they do go well, it's enjoyable, even as like crazy as it might eventually get or heightened. I think, Yeah, it's hard watching or listening to people imitate it and not.
Speaker 3: Do it well. And here's a lot of that.
Speaker 2: Yeah. But anyway, I'm using this as a moment to call myself out for criticizing dialogue that I'm hearing these days, because you know, I was forged in this so I.
Speaker 3: Watched this movie, and certainly on rewatch it occurs to me that I don't know that that people referenced movies as much as they do in.
Speaker 2: This film in this era.
Speaker 3: Yeah, sure, I mean certainly. Now I think we're like, we're way past that, h I mean, back then, movies still represented sort of a linguo franca, you know, like it was it was like a shared vernacular one. But even still, I feel like the folks were like, oh dude, it's like remember in Silence of the Lambs when this happened. I feel like that was a pretty pretty niche group even then.
Speaker 2: Which I kind of dig though, because it I made it cool, you know, for people like us who knew what they were talking about.
Speaker 3: You know what. Yeah, sure, I'll take that. We we weren't dorks, so we were cool.
Speaker 2: Yeah and no, But I agree with you ticket well. I think about this sometimes with gifts, right, because it used to be, yeah, like you know, dorks like us, we would reference really deep cut simpsony things, lines that had nothing to do with what we were talking about, but the feeling matched. I could send you something completely unrelated, but you'd understand the feeling from that scene the Simpsons and know what I meant in this moment, you know, when I was talking to you. And I couldn't do that with as many people. But now we're in the age where, like memes and gifts, everybody is now using those things in movie quotes and even just still images of a certain expression from the.
Speaker 3: Office, people who don't know what it's from.
Speaker 2: Right as shorthand, Like it's like it that became to speak now for everybody.
Speaker 3: That's a good point.
Speaker 2: Isn't that nuts?
Speaker 3: Huh?
Speaker 2: This by the way where it was shot. I dated someone many many years ago who lived up in Marin County where a bulk of this was shot, and we passed Stu's house. She was like, oh, yeah, that's the house from Scream, and I was like, well, I'll be darned like it was. I mean, it is out out there, out like really out in the country. And so I had forgotten, you know, I remember them being in town, but like shots like this, I had forgotten that this was the location Scream, like and he's rolling hills.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: And so when I was watching it again this time, I was like, oh, yeah, that looks exactly like where we would visit when we'd go see her family.
Speaker 3: Huh. Incredible.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Tamala's Bay up in Marin County.
Speaker 3: Nice, not too far from where I am.
Speaker 2: Yeah, right right.
Speaker 3: So Nev Campbell at the time, I mean, this really did launch her movie career. Mm hm. At the time, she was best known for Party of Five, right, she was what's her name, Julia? I think on that show did you watch Party of Five? Were your part? Were you a fiver? I don't know, I don't know what the fans of that show are called.
Speaker 2: No, but I remember it pretty well.
Speaker 3: That was definitely zeitgeisty, right exactly exactly.
Speaker 2: I'm sure I saw the ads every week, you know, Matthew Fox. Like when when Loss started, I was like, oh, it's the guy from Party of Five.
Speaker 3: That's right. You know.
Speaker 2: Jennifer Love Hewitt came from.
Speaker 3: That, right, she got her start there.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, pretty much everybody from that show went on to have a pretty decent career.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I can't think of the other who's that actress she was in Mean.
Speaker 3: Girls and Lacy Shavert? Yeah right, right, right, Yeah, she's done all right, she's she's got a steady litany of Hallmark holiday movies that she's in.
Speaker 2: You know, I wonder if that's nice just getting to live Christmas all year round, hey man, as long as the check clears, Oh absolutely, Or if it's like the the you know in The Simpsons when they go to Itchy and Scratchy Land and they go to that restaurant that's New Year's even kill me? Yeah exactly. Yeah, So here we go Sydney's counter.
Speaker 3: Poor Randy Man. I was thinking, like, that guy is getting tagged with everything in this movie, right, that's what you get for being like a weird movie dork. You gotta like you gotta stow that shit a little bit.
Speaker 2: Right, Yeah, the question isn't who am I, it's where am I? Man, this guy he's just you know. What's interesting though, the voice, even though every movie is a different person wearing the mask, right, the cadence is always consistent, which is one of those things that I think is, well, it's the same guy.
Speaker 3: It's Roger L. Jackson doing the voice in every movie.
Speaker 2: But I just mean, in the reality of the movie, it's different people speaking through that voice box, but they're all doing the same you know.
Speaker 3: And well, and I think that's sort of the genius of how like ghost Face is just an entity exactly.
Speaker 2: Yes, I wouldn't change it. I mean, that's what I show up for. I want to hear that voice. I wonder what that guy can command now, because they're gonna do without him.
Speaker 3: That's a good point. Well, he's a voiceover artist's he also plays Mojo Jojo and Butch on The Powerpuff Girls. Oh so he's done. Okay, he's been in every Scream. I haven't seen the new one, but I suspect he's he's in that one too, right, right, I I should say as we record this, uh, you have seen Scream seven? I have not? Right, So this is this is a flip from how it usually ends up being.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's true, isn't it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, don't don't step outside, right, Like that's when you get the call that's like, hey I'm outside. I'd be like, I don't. I don't freaking care, you know what.
Speaker 2: I forgot to bring this up. But something I really loved is I was rewatching the opening with Drew Barrymore. Is she does step outside like she could just run away, and I was thinking, oh, wait, how are they gonna get her? She has to stay at the house. How do they get her to stay at the house? But it's she she's losing reception on her phone, you know what I mean. I was like, oh, yeah, those things had a base that you could walk away.
Speaker 3: Remember that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, those cordless phones. So that's pretty good, pretty of its time, but perfect.
Speaker 3: So as you watch, do you try to game out who's who's stew and who's.
Speaker 2: I was this time? Yeah?
Speaker 3: Yeah, so this one is STU. I'm pretty pretty sure, right, because.
Speaker 2: You know, I'm sure it was mostly mostly a stunt man because I think I read that Skeet Alric asked to be in the costume for at least one scene, But it would be kind of cool if they did have who is supposed to be under there under Yeah, that's a good point, you know, just so you could maybe see a different physicality or maybe maybe to your point, it's it's better if he's just a presence you.
Speaker 3: Kind of you can kind of game out a little bit. My sense based on who the times that we know it's Stu versus Billy. Stu is a little more wild and nutty, and Billy is a little more like ceremonial.
Speaker 2: Hmm. Interesting. Maybe that's something Wes Craven told, Yeah, the stunt.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's and and you know, I'm I'm ready to be proven wrong, but that's just sort of at some point I stopped trying to follow who's who, but.
Speaker 2: Right, right, right, Like if you want to do the math, I'm sure you could figure it out out, but it's more fun just to.
Speaker 3: Like, like, obviously the guy at the door was not Billy because he's right here right. I do love though that, Like you talk about how the movie is mostly timeless, but yet this right here, that's how dated this movie is She's like, you have a cell phone, right, right, you must be the murderer. Like that's the that's the obvious connection, right. I think one of the cops is even like, what are you doing with a cell phone? You have one of these cellular phones, youngster.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this is the era where people had pagers.
Speaker 3: People had pagers, that's right.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Although even I was late getting on that train because I didn't get my first page until probably ninety eight.
Speaker 2: I want to say, you know I never got one.
Speaker 3: Really, yeah, well, how did you orchestrate any drug deals without a pager? I know, my god.
Speaker 2: That was that was the thing for people who weren't there. In high school in the nineties, that was what teachers assumed. If you had a pager on your belt.
Speaker 3: Must have been a must have been uh uh snorting those sugar burgers.
Speaker 2: Well yeah, you couldn't. Just what what, what reason would you have a pager for unless you were a drug dealer.
Speaker 3: I I recently tried to explain pagers to my students.
Speaker 2: M M.
Speaker 3: I was like, yeah, like, I don't even know how it came up, but they were they were utterly gobsmacked by the notion that you would be driving and the thing would beep and then you would see who who. You would see a number, and then you would have to pull over. You would have to find a pay phone and dial this number. And I as I said that, as I recited that, I was like, yeah, that's pretty messed up.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean it's it's I remember even at the time, because you could send nine to one to one yep, it like you had these little codes. And I remember even at the time, I'm like, this just feels like I'd rather just be able to send a message. I wish I could say pick me up, or I wish I.
Speaker 3: Wish I could send a like a text message of some kind.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, consisting of text. Yeah, that I would message. Love the lens flares in this movie, by the way, with the anamorphic lie.
Speaker 3: There's something so filmy about this exactly, And.
Speaker 2: That's what yeah, going back to, Yeah, that opening scene and how much I love it and the choices and the lenses and everything. Yeah, filmy, this movie is very filmy and I love it. Yeah, great uses of lens flares, but nothing over the top. I think people started going over the top with them, yeah, you know, and they stopped losing their magic or whimsy or whatever it is. But here it just adds just like a heightened reality or tension or spookiness or something. It's great. Yeah, you know, I was reading about casting choices for this, which I thought were kind of interesting. Some I saw in multiple places, like they wanted Vince Vaughan to play Billy, which is interesting. He Wow, I don't know that I've ever seen him look young to me.
Speaker 3: That's right, Like, yeah, because because the following year he was in the Lost World, which is the first time I saw him, And you can't tell me he's a teenager in the Lost World, you know what I mean?
Speaker 2: So Swingers this year ninety six.
Speaker 3: Swingers would have been either this year or the year before.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because that he still feels like a I don't know young man to me.
Speaker 3: Yeah, little, I can't see him playing teenager. I mean, I mean, Skeet Aldrich is pushing it, you know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but he feels he's still got moody teen face to me, or moody movie teen face or something.
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, But anyway, one that I and I saw a lot about Breckin Meyer and Jason Lee and Seth Green Up for Randy.
Speaker 3: I can totally see that.
Speaker 2: Reese Witherspoon for Sydney.
Speaker 3: Jason Lee, I can one hundred percent see him as Randy.
Speaker 2: I mean, he basically plays that character in the Jane Sound the Bob movies, right, Yeah, that's right. He's always giving exposition and talking about comic books and getting really worked up. But the one that was interesting I saw was Elizabeth Berkeley for Gale Weathers.
Speaker 3: I can see that.
Speaker 2: I thought so too. But this is a year after Showgirls, which basically tanked her career for a while.
Speaker 3: Yeah yeah, but.
Speaker 2: I mean ultimately I like the brassiness of Courtney Cox.
Speaker 3: I think Courtney Cox like is Gail at this point. So yeah, yeah, But but in you know, in in uteroal, you know, as they're planning this out, I I can I can see was Berkeley.
Speaker 2: I totally see that version, definitely.
Speaker 3: Who are some of the others for Sydney that you said.
Speaker 2: I only saw. I'm sure there are several others. But Reese Witherspoonspoon okay, which makes sense at this time, right, she had been in I don't know if she'd done Fear by now, but she fear was after this man in the Moon and you know what I mean, like she was like up and coming in this moment.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Man, the moon is always my cinematrix for the Wind with Reese Witherspoon.
Speaker 3: Actually fear it was the same year, so I stand corrected, Okay, it was. It was actually earlier than this. It was April of ninety six, Okay.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so this came out around Christmas time, that's right, right. And when it came out, it only made about six million, and everybody thought it had flopped, but it had great word of mouth and just kept going, just kept going and going. I mean, I think about that in this day and age, a movie opening with six million and finishing around one hundred million.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and I think at the time it was like the most profitable slasher flick ever made, right, you know. And I can definitely speak to the word of mouth aspect of it, because I mean contrary, I was just saying about kids talking about movies. In high school, everybody was talking about screen you know.
Speaker 2: I mean I think kids talked about the movies that they watched. Yeah, Like I remember talking about Titanic at school because that was just like a phenomenon and everything. But it's it wasn't like peppered into.
Speaker 3: Like the way it is in this. That's not that that. That was not my experience of how people talked same you know.
Speaker 2: But yeah, I mean to your point, those people we eventually find each other. That's how we found one another.
Speaker 3: That's the thing. It's funny because you're talking about, oh, talking about Titanic in high school, and I was like, I don't remember that, and then I realized because I'm a year ahead of you. So like by the time I was in college when Titanic came out. Oh really, so I had a different experience. Yeah. That was Christmas of ninety seven, right, yeah, yeah, because I graduated ninety seven, so this movie was right smack in the middle of my senior year. I remember that so distinctly.
Speaker 2: Wow. Okay, so you did see this in theaters?
Speaker 3: No, No, I didn't. I watched this on video. Must have been after I graduated high school. Yeah, yeah, it was. It was Gee, you know what, I probably saw it a couple of years out because because I I remember watching this and Scream two together on video.
Speaker 2: Mm.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so it would have to have been like ninety nine, ninety eight, ninety nine, something like that. Okay, yeah, because because Scream two is ninety.
Speaker 2: Seven right, yes, yeah, less than a year later.
Speaker 3: It was like right away, yeah, so it was it was I saw both of them on video at the same time because I rented them together.
Speaker 2: Okay, yeah, yeah, I that's another thing too, by the way, So that Rose McGowan playing Sidney's friend Tatum, is Dewey's sister, that's right, you know, and since we lose her in this movie, you know, you go on to all the other movies, all the other sequels, and it's like, Dewey and Sydney are so close, but you can almost forget that. It's like, oh yeah, it's like her friend's deceased friend's brother, that's their relationship.
Speaker 3: Well, it's also just that this experience binds the three of them together, the four survivors in this movie. And then and then Randy punches out in the next one.
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, which I mean, I'm sure we'll get to that one eventually. But then you get that incredible moment in three where it's like, wow, can we bring him back for a third one? If he's dead? It's like, well, he recorded a video anticipating that not only would the problems and two be solved eventually, but there would be a third problem because he had to record that in the middle of the second problem. It's so funny, but it's brilliant and it's something I feel like I reference a lot. Like if you're watching this, I'm already dead. You know it's it's a brilliant solve. It sticks in your mind.
Speaker 3: You know. We should mention how how David Arquette and Courtney Cox started dating because of this movie?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Right, this is where they do you remember there was an episode of Friends where all of the actors added our Quette to their name.
Speaker 2: Oh, I do remember that now that you just.
Speaker 3: Pick credits because for a while or she was Courtney Cox ar ute. People forget.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I guess they met on this dated during two, and then they married a month before they shot three. There you go, and she's credited as Courtney coxar Cutt on three.
Speaker 3: Now this right here, first time I saw Leev Schreiber was right there. That's not right there, same And it's it's interesting because I was trying to because that's basically all we see of Cotton in this movie.
Speaker 2: Which I had forgotten. I thought he was going to be a bigger.
Speaker 3: Part, right, And I was trying to place it. I was like, like, now you'd be like, wait a minute, you're just gonna have liv Schreiber, like just drop him in like that. But he he wasn't anybody back then.
Speaker 2: Yeah, right, right right? And yeah, I mean how could he know also that he'd be brought back for two more sequels and play bigger and bigger parts. He's a big part of the finale of two.
Speaker 3: I know, but I didn't like what they did with him in the third.
Speaker 2: One, right, Yeah, you mean like what they did to his character. Yeah, I like what they did. I mean not physically, but like just his personality or.
Speaker 3: Well that too, but just killing him.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah.
Speaker 2: But yeah, I weirdly saw three first.
Speaker 3: That's the first scream you saw, yes.
Speaker 2: Because I didn't like horror movies, so I'd never watched one and two, And then I remember Three came out and my friends and I were just like curious. It was like the new movie and whatever. And I think someone rented it and we watched it in their basement, and I think for me, I was like, oh, this isn't so much like gory, you know, in Delighting and kids being killed kind of a thing that I thought it was going to be. I was like, Oh, this is like a mystery and it's actually kind of fun. And so then I went and rented one and two and then discovered that I really.
Speaker 3: Like how interesting. So so watching three first, you were not just like out to see.
Speaker 2: You know, three is a weird one. I mean, I was with Cotton. That's what made me think about it when you brought him up, because he does have somewhat of a major role in the opening of that movie exactly, and I had no idea the history, you know, who he means to everybody else and right, so, yeah, but that was a weird one because again, I mean, we should save this for three. But Nev Campbell was so busy in that moment she could only shoot for like twenty days of that movie, and so they basically featured all the other characters and Sydney kind of weaves in and out of that movie. Right, so I think it, Yeah, it didn't feel as like I needed to know Sidney's history or you know, all that.
Speaker 3: That's fascinating, and yet it did the trick of making you want to go back and watch the other two So that's something because I enjoyed the.
Speaker 2: Tone so much. Yeah. Yeah, although now after watching all of them in a row, like I just did, that one is I would say, very different than the first one. It's a lot yeah, you know earlier.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's I I you know, one thing I've realized about the Scream movies is that I think the first one is like legitimately great. The other ones are variable quality, but I don't dislike any of them same. That's kind of where I'm at, Like, even the worst the one, I can I find stuff to enjoy, you know. And I don't even know. I don't even know what I would consider the worst one. But I'm just saying like, regardless of the quality, I'm like, I like them all, you know. But you know, I also think and I was talking about how Scream seven is coming out. I was talking to my kids, my students, and I was like, hey, Scream, you guys gonna watch it? Nobody like this is like, no, this is this is an old man's franchise.
Speaker 2: I was wondering because it had been kind of reinvented for five and six with younger like Jenna Ortega, you know, whoever. But like that's interesting, Okay.
Speaker 3: I just I feel like movie going in general has become so siloed that I don't even know what movie going looks like in twenty years. Honestly, you know, you know, movie viewing. I should say, I don't know what it looks like.
Speaker 2: That's true, and that makes me now kind of understand and appreciate why they wouldn't call that Scream five. Why would your students go see Scream five even if it has actors? They know if it's just called Scream, and like, okay, maybe they're you know, five percent more likely to watch it. Interesting. It's funny in Scream two. Eventually there's a movie within this movie universe called Stab that's about the Woodsborough murders from Scream one, and they recreate this scene in Scream two with Tory Spelling and Luke Wilson, which is really funny. But you know, no, good, no, no, you go ahead, I'll come Mack. I was gonna say, Kevin Williamson. It's just one of those things where I think he just his mind was lit on fire with this concept where he didn't apparently he wrote this script in a matter of days. It just you know, flowed out of him. But then he also came up with five page treatments for Scream two and Scream three. That's right, you know, he came prepared, and I think the thinking was not only did he have the stories, but when he went in to the pitch meetings, he wanted to be like, hey, you're buying a franchise here, right, You're not just buying a smart movie. It's very smart.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but that that explained, Like, his involvement in the third one is fairly minimal. They just took his outline and I think, as Aaron Krueger, who wrote the script for.
Speaker 2: It, yeah, he reminds me of Shane Black in a way where he just exploded and everybody knew his name right away, and he wrote something that's like, oh that is so Kevin Williamson. And then with every sequel he like had less and less involvement.
Speaker 3: Yeah. So Shane Black and Leath the Weapon, yep. Yeah, no. So, so I was going to mention about Nev Campbell, you know, like again, it had been a while since I've seen this one, and you know we're used to now in the latter film, Sydney is much more stoic, and you know, she she knows the rules of the game, so to speak, and you forget how the vulnerability that she gives to Sydney in this one. Yeah, right right, and she's terrific in this I really like, I was really appreciating her performance.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Yeah, she has a very she does like anguished or tortured. Well, you know, like you really sympathize with her when she makes those faces you know about how tortured she is.
Speaker 3: That's right about not wanting to sleep with Billy.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So Henry Winkler, I was about to say, one day you are your Arthur Fonzarelli, the next day your Arthur Hernbi or whatever his name is.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's a really interesting character, isn't he. Like, I actually don't entirely know what to make of him. I think we might have talked over the scene earlier where kids are being interrogated, and then I think Sydney goes in, Yeah, and he like touches her face in this really weird way that feels a little inappropriate. Inappropriate. Yeah, And they even do a reaction shot of someone I can't remember if it's Duey or one of the officers, And I was like, oh, what's that about.
Speaker 3: Well, first of all, I was like, there is no way a principle could get away with talking to students the way he does in the scene that.
Speaker 2: We just saw, like holding scissors to their next Yeah.
Speaker 3: Are you kidding me? There would be like eight different lawsuits, So you wonder if there's like maybe one scene missing just to just to sort of make his death and not entirely a bad thing, you know.
Speaker 2: Oh, you know that's interesting. You know what I had read is I was thinking on this feeling by the way I read. I don't know, I can't beg this up, but I read that this cheerleader was Skeet Ulrich's girlfriend Andrew.
Speaker 3: Okay, I was like, she's a bad actress.
Speaker 2: I hope she's not listening, but she did stand out to me a little bit.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Now, granted, this reminds me of all the times I was being a caddy bitch about people while putting my makeup on. So a lot of a lot of lived experience there.
Speaker 2: But this is that very nineties meta thing too. It's like, where'd you hear that Ricky Lake? Yeah, sorry, you're saying, no, that's it. Yeah, but doesn't that like hurt your heart. Oh absolutely, Like, yeah, Nev Campbell's so good here. You just yeah, you're so on her side, and it's so awful having her listen to those people be so catty about her. I love the boot thing too, right where we get a lot of shots of ghost face boots and then later we get a little misdirect where the one of the police officers is wearing similar boots.
Speaker 3: Right when he squishes the cigarette.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's good stuff.
Speaker 3: What's interesting, though, is that in the opening, in the scene near the opening when all of the kids are quote unquote kids are sitting on the outside, you know, when we see all of them, you just.
Speaker 2: Can't even like, yeah, quote unquote kids.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but Billy and Stu are wearing those boots.
Speaker 2: Oh interesting, you know, it's funny. Not just say it. I did think. Uh, Billy is seated awkwardly like with his feed up on the thing, and it's probably you're right on purpose to for people who are paying attention to notice his boots.
Speaker 3: What I love is that the movie makes it so obvious that Billy is the bad guy that you're like, there's no way he's the bad guy because it's so obvious.
Speaker 2: Yes, yeah, Yeah, it's funny because they kind of do that in two with Jerry O'Connell and he acts very weird and there's a lot of like lingering shots on him with ominous music, just trying to, you know, make you feel a certain way.
Speaker 3: That's right.
Speaker 2: We should talk about the mask, right, like this is a mask that already existed.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they tried to design one that was kind of like it, but just different enough not to like, you know, infringe on a copyright, and they did, and it's in some shots in this, but ultimately they were like, you know, let's just work out an agreement and use the one that's already out there.
Speaker 2: Yeah. It was designed by Brigitte Linden in nineteen ninety two for fun World, a costume company.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: And yeah, and I guess she said it's called It was called the Peanut Eyed Ghost, that's right. And I was inspired by the uh that painting the scream.
Speaker 3: Yeah. And you know what I would say, thanks to these films that that costume has has sold and sold and sold for thirty plus years.
Speaker 2: Incredible. I mean it's like I don't even want to think about whether or not she had any claim to that design. Moving forward or that's just something. You know, you work for the company and then everything's owned by the company, and I know.
Speaker 3: Well, you know, hopefully you're able to take pride in your design living on Yeah.
Speaker 2: Well, you know, I had read somewhere about the woman who designed the Nike swoosh. I don't have her name in front of me, but she did it, you know, for peanuts at the time, because they weren't a huge juggernaut, and they did did many years later compensate her, which I thought was pretty classy.
Speaker 3: Oh that's good. Yeah, yeah, uh one one one memory I have that costume is that Sean Coyle and Paul Shiri they were they were living together and they were roommates, i should say, and they had a Halloween party and and and so. Uh, I didn't have a costume, so I went to Toys r US and like just grabbed whatever I could and it was the ghost Face costume, and and I won least original costume. It's pretty pretty proud of that, you know.
Speaker 2: What's funny? Sure? Fine, However, if I was at a costume party and I saw someone dressed up like ghost Face, that's the person I'd want a picture with.
Speaker 3: Thank you. Ryan In.
Speaker 2: I'm just saying, you know, there's just a weird personal anecdote that has nothing to do with this movie. But I was. I got to go to the Magic Castle, which is kind of a cool spot out here in Hollywood. There's like all these different rooms and magicians doing you know, little shows in each room. You can wander from room to room and watch all sorts of cool stuff. And I got to go there on Halloween and it was they had a costume contest going on, and my friends dressed up like Nancy Kerrigan and Tanya Harding. Oh okay, this was before I Tanya, So this was like before people were kind of recalling that thing.
Speaker 3: They beat the rush.
Speaker 2: They were right ahead of it.
Speaker 3: And see, look at look at how the costume looks different there.
Speaker 2: Well, I can see it. I can see it. It's not the same.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I love that they recognize that because it's close, but it's not the same.
Speaker 3: It's just they were like, you know what, the other one looks better.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they're right, it's worth it. It was worth paying. It's pretty amazing that as similar as it is, they saw that it wasn't good enough. But anyway, my friends they won the costume contest out of the whole Magic Castle that night.
Speaker 3: Wow.
Speaker 2: So yeah, we got free passes to go to Houdini Seance Get out of here wow. Yeah, which is basically, you know, they feed you dinner and then someone flips the switch and the table shakes for a little bit.
Speaker 3: Hey. You know sometimes that's fun.
Speaker 2: Yeah. But so, okay, I was gonna bring this up earlier. Yeah, so the Henry Winkler thing, that was what you were talking about, maybe seating that there's something possibly sinister about him. I was wondering why they killed him. Oh, we got to bring that up, right, hey, Fred.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so there there's Wes Craven as Fred the Janitor. Yeah, in the rest of as Freddy Krueger.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah. There's a lot of Nightmare and Elm Street call outs in this movie.
Speaker 3: Oh a ton, Well, Sydney lives on Elm Street, which I don't think is explicitly stated.
Speaker 2: I don't even think I called that.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Yeah, when she's typing in her address, when she's trying to down nine one one, they cut it for pacing, but it's it's Elm Street.
Speaker 2: Oh okay, And then they talk about I think Tatum says something about only the first one was good.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's right, and she says, Wes Carper, you think it's some kind of West Carpenter movie.
Speaker 2: Right right, which is funny because I can imagine, you know, as Wes Craven, you have to decide whether or not to go there. But I think it's worth it's fun.
Speaker 3: I don't think it's for us.
Speaker 2: But anyway, reading about his murder, well, first of all, I remember back in the day, it was hard watching the Fawns get stabbed to death, right, I mean when I watched this in the nineties, to me, he was he hadn't been in arrested development yet.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's right.
Speaker 2: Other things are Berry or all these things. I love him from now, so he was still for me kind of the Fawns. So it was strange seeing him in a movie like this. But anyway, I was like, why did why would they kill him? And it turns out he wasn't originally killed in the script.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think it was like too much time had gone by without a killing, yes, exactly, and so they're like they're like, Fawns, he gotta.
Speaker 2: Go kill the principal. But it it does then motivate everyone, leaving Stu's house at the party, it clears everybody out because the principal's dead and he's hanging from the gold post or whatever it is. And then all right, twisted kids are like, well I gotta see that, and so they run out.
Speaker 3: Of the us.
Speaker 2: So I guess that's that. And then to your point, I wonder if they did make him a little off, Yeah, so.
Speaker 3: We wouldn't, So you don't feel totally bad about it, Yeah, because I think a lot of folks, you know, I think when this movie came out was probably at the tail end of when people would have been.
Speaker 2: Like, oh Fonsie, yeah, yeah, yeah, there's that. Yeah, have a cut and weary thing.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 2: I also read about Ghost Face. Look that at first they wanted the road to be white. That's right, to make it look like a ghost.
Speaker 3: Yeah, which like imagine that like yeah, you know what I mean, Like even in this shot right here where we see like, it just wouldn't be the same. It wouldn't work. It would be like you know the ghosts in Charlie Brown cartoons.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, exactly.
Speaker 3: By the way that that was that was the nineteen thirty one Frankenstein that that was showing them that screen. I just any anytime the old universal monsters get get shown some love, I have to I have to tip the hat.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, which I need to catch up on.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's right, you do need to. I like this right here, She's like, what was that wolf with ET's mom in it?
Speaker 2: Like you can ride?
Speaker 3: Not not the mom from E T. E T's mom.
Speaker 2: Oh oh, actually I didn't even catch that.
Speaker 3: That's true.
Speaker 2: I'm just laughing about her. The way she referenced d Wallace. That's hilarious ET's mom.
Speaker 3: You think Right now, at this moment, Quentin Tarantino is watching Matthew Lillard on screen and just grinding his teeth and pissing his pants. You know what.
Speaker 2: As much as I enjoys movies, I hope so yearned it.
Speaker 1: I was.
Speaker 3: I was like watching Lillard in this, I'm like, he's so great being just horrible as stew but it's like he has the range, which we know. And then I was like just picturing Tarantino just like, yeah, you know, I hate I hate Owen Wilson and I hate Paul Dano, and you know, Matthew Lillard sucks to him. I'm like, what.
Speaker 2: He's like, what it's like Bart Simpson, you know, with clown College is like I don't think any of us expected him to say that, Like which.
Speaker 3: I would say, good good company to be included in as far as that list of people.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I want to be listening to Paul Dan.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know this scene is so creepy when you know that. It's like especially once Billy shows up, because he's right, right, he's right about everything, and Killer A and Killer be on either side of him. It's freaking terrifying and.
Speaker 2: They're like crowding him. Yeah, you know, yeah, and I do love this. I mean this is like quintessential for this film, right where it's like the guy who understands how horror movies work, he's referencing horror movies and why his rationale for why he thinks he knows who the killer is. You know, Like that's the thing, like all movies do this now, all movies reference other movies.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but they just didn't used to. That is such a great point, Like I'm just so used to it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like when they went to the movies in the movies when we were growing up, they were watching fake movies, fake TV shows. But this really was part of the thing part of the moment where it kicked it off, where it's like, no, no, no, they live in the world we live in, and they reference the things we know.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so is Randy like the screech of their friend groups?
Speaker 2: You know, I was wondering about that because he.
Speaker 3: It's a very odd friend group. Right.
Speaker 2: He's a fun character, but even when they were at the fountain, I felt like he felt a little odd man out.
Speaker 3: Why is he there? Yeah, yeah, yeah, but he's good.
Speaker 2: I like Jimmy Kennedy in this. I think he's the right man, a geeky, funny guy.
Speaker 3: He found his lane.
Speaker 2: Yeah. You know. Something I always like in movies that I feel are like real world scary and intriguing to me are curfews yep, you know, and like when a town has to shut down, like you know, it's like kids have curfews sometimes, you know, or like by ten pm you have to leave them all or something. But like when the whole town it's like no, no, no, all the adults, I don't care who you are, like you have to be off the streets at this time. I always find that like a really scary premise.
Speaker 3: It's, well, you know, when I see because I never lived in like a small town like this, you know, like suburbs are different. Yeah, yeah, And so this is something like exclusive to movies, just the way life is so centralized and like everybody knows each other and stuff, you know.
Speaker 2: Right where you have the deputy of the town, Like I don't know any of the well I mean in this city certainly, But even when I was growing up in Wheaton, Illinois, right, I didn't know the names of any police officers or anything. Right, But here they all know who Dewey is. They probably many of them went to high school with him, right, Yeah. But it is like a great excuse, just plot wise, to get all the kids like, all right, well, let's curfew. We'll go hang out at one house and watch movies together, right, you know. And also, you know, I when I've rewatched this a lot of times, it's been in chunks, you know, flipping channels. I hadn't really rewatched this all the way through in a while, And so it was nice really paying attention and appreciating how much plot there is in this.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, for sure.
Speaker 2: It was Sydney's mom and the trauma that Sidney experienced from that, and then also fingering the wrong guy for it.
Speaker 3: Like cotton literally and figuratively. Wait what because you know she's just like she does it with the killer and that's true.
Speaker 2: That's true, the wrong two wrong guys. She's wrong about two guys in this mood. He yes, yeah, yes, well she does stick her finger in his wound exactly.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, the wrong guy. He's bad for you, Sydney. He is the wrong guy, right.
Speaker 2: I love it is like ice cream cone business. I wonder like the guy they both get like business as they're talking here, that guy gets a cigarette, he gets an ice cream cone.
Speaker 3: Yeah. The chief, by the way, he's he's also it plays a similar role in the First Nightmare in Eme Street. Oh interesting, Yeah, so hey shared cinematic universe. Yeah, and like you said, we get that close up on his boots liket row.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I like that. But yeah, this did then kind of kick off almost like a new genre of horror, right, like the slasher film was back, but it was Yes, that is true.
Speaker 3: But what's funny is that in hindsight, because definitely that was the the you know, the narrative at the time, But in hindsight, you're like, well it wasn't even gone for that long, really.
Speaker 2: You know, don't you find that? Yeah, when you think about sometimes you talk about things being gone for a while or even just it feels like things changed very quickly in the past. Like you even look at like styles in different decades. Yeah, and you're like or even like the Beatles or something, you know, like their genre of music, and it's like they weren't even a band or at least they're a phenomenon for over a decade. Like things just moved very quickly.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know what I mean.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and now there be longer gaps between this stuff, between sequels. You can get Screamed four like eleven years later or something.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know, and you know, sometimes those longer gaps are good. But certainly when we talk about the slasher fad at its peak, I mean, it flamed out I would say late eighties. When when was Freddy's Dead? Was that like ninety yeah?
Speaker 2: Maybe because the New Nightmare was ninety four, Okay.
Speaker 3: So and there was there was a decent gap between those two. Yeah, right, and you know Freddy is dead, like, so let's arbitrary, let's set that. So say ninety So you're talking about six years, which is I mean, yeah, it is a gap, but it's not like a huge gap. But your point is well stated, which is like suddenly there was this boom between ninety six and two thousand where you had all these like teen centric horror flicks.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and just also what I was trying to say, I don't know if I said it very well, but just like shorter gaps felt longer back then for some reason, maybe because we weren't endlessly talking about things.
Speaker 3: That is true. Also we had been around, we had been around less, so well.
Speaker 2: That's true too. Yeah, it could be unique to our age. But yeah, so you get like, I Know what you did last summer, Urban Legend, the Faculty, Final Destination, all these sort of like knowing teenager horror movies.
Speaker 3: Right out after this, and and you know, well, I mean I guess they did try to bring back I know what you did last summer just recently, right, which that didn't really play.
Speaker 2: No, you know, and I saw it and I didn't hate it, fully acknowledging it's not good. Yeah, but it just like maybe it's scratched an itch or something where I was like, oh, I like this tone, but you know, I don't think anybody else is really vibing with it these days. Even my friends who are like much more horror fans than I am, they were like they hated it, and I was like, well, I don't know, really.
Speaker 3: I don't see.
Speaker 2: I had absolutely zero expectation and it was like a thing before my eyes for ninety minutes, and I was like, yeah, it reminded me of a thing that I used to like. But my way is good.
Speaker 3: I mean, there's a swerve in there with the long running character. Yes well, yes, well it doesn't mean anything to me because I don't really have an affinity for those films. But I was thinking of Zachi, you know, a fan of Jim Phelps from the nineteen sixties Mission Impossible, totally wondering how fans of those earlier films would react to this new one. You know, absolutely right.
Speaker 2: By the way, So it's worth noting. You know Courtney Cox here. I love the character of Gail Weathers because she has such a complicated She's complicated, like she has a weird relationship with Sydney. She was a defender of Cotton Weary, which wasn't very popular to the hero of our movie. But she was right, right, you know what I mean, And like they they're antagonistic, but then they become allies. It's a really great character. And as you're watching that character Gail enter this house party with all these teenagers, they're looking at her like, oh my gosh, it's Gail from TV, but in a funny way. I mean, that's Courtney Cox from Friends. Like, oh, that's a good point, right, Like you can kind of apply that to this a little bit.
Speaker 3: I love how they make sure to highlight Tatum's thho are they?
Speaker 2: You know? It's funny. Actually I was thinking about that shot because what I I think it's really interesting because what I mean basically, yes, like Rose McGown comes here into the garage and her nipples are like completely like poking through her shirt. And it's funny because it's this is a movie that's referencing horror movies. So she is, to a comical degree, the typical sexy female victim in waiting here. And so this movie is like riding a thin line between actually having kind of a titulating image or no one intended, and also commenting on it. Yeah, you know what I mean, Like it's kind of a funny brilliant moment.
Speaker 3: Well, that's you know, I think Scream is satire but not comedy, right, and and you know that's sort of to be able to ride that balance is something, you know. It's like in my classes, I screen RoboCop as an example of satire and I'm like, it's satire, but it's not a comedy, right, but it is, you know, and it's like trying to understand that distinction. I mean, this movie does that very well.
Speaker 2: That's that's really well put. Yeah, yeah, great, great lens flares in here, because I love lens flares when they add like an air of mystery, you know, or magic or something. I think I've always my favorite lens flair's ever Isn't Die Hard. When they finally get the safe to open, you know, and it's just like this magical opening of this thing, you know that they've been trying so hard to attain, and so there's just like magic in the air as it's happening. And here we've got this sort of uneasy thing happening in this really normal place a garage, but there's something heightened and creepy about it. So you get like a little flourish at the top of the screen. You know, I don't know.
Speaker 3: Yeah, No, that's that's a great observation of these canted angles.
Speaker 2: Yep, it's great. And this is, you know, like to your point again where you have the sexy victim in the eighties movie, you're like probably rooting for Jason, you know what I mean, But in this I don't like seeing her going through this, Like I'm rooting for her to get out of that ground.
Speaker 3: That's right. Yeah, I think that's what it came down to. Aultimately, give us, give us characters that we care about. Yeah, you know, and Tatum is a kind of a smart ass. Yeah, but like not insufferably so.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah, you would enjoy her in your friend group.
Speaker 3: Yeah exactly. Now this now, originally she was supposed to have the garage just crush her and then and then they see the pet door. Yeah, and they're like, well, no, we obviously have to we got to do that. Yeah, I mean, oh it's horrible, gripe. Well, I mean yes, but it just feels I mean it's such a memorable death. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like her hanging through that door. You're gonna make a movie. Let's make a movie, you know.
Speaker 3: Yep.
Speaker 2: But by the way, So seeing her head get crushed there, That's why I was confused at the beginning, because I had read that was something they had to cut out. But in this version you see that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so I don't know. That's interesting. Yeah. By the way, worth mentioning, this is only tangentially related in that Paramount is the home base of the screen franchise as of now. But as we record this, Paramount has won its bid to buy Warner Brothers.
Speaker 2: Oh really is that today?
Speaker 3: That has just happened moments ago. I just got a push notification that Netflix has dropped out.
Speaker 2: They dropped out.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so Paramount is gonna be absorbing Warner Brothers.
Speaker 2: I'll be damned.
Speaker 3: Yeah. We'll have plenty to say about this on a future.
Speaker 2: Yes, I gotta not get lost in thought on that.
Speaker 3: Wow. Okay, now real quick, I want to mention we were talking about Gail Weathers before. As much as I love the character of Gail Weathers, her haircut in some of these sequels is scarier than Ghostface.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I mean even she a couple of years ago is still referencing it. No, really, yeah, I think for Halloween or something, she did some sort of Instagram posts with like these fake bangs and was like, they're back.
Speaker 3: I think was it the third one?
Speaker 2: Yeah, the third one? Oh goodness, gracious, yeah.
Speaker 3: That's not a Jane silent Bob and I remember that.
Speaker 2: Yes, I mean, this isn't exactly it, but I was thinking as I was watching three, it reminded me of the vibes a little bit of Lethal Weapon four, where it's like we're just we're here and we don't care if you realize we're having a good time doing this, you know, even though we're making a movie, you know what I mean. I mean, not that Lethal Weapon four ever got into like goofy cameos or anything. But you can just tell those are friends having a good time and making a movie. And you get that sense a little bit in three. I think Scream three like let's let's have fun and the fun.
Speaker 3: Shop through a little bit, yeah, which.
Speaker 2: Is kind of unique to that one because the others, I don't think feel that way. And then yes, and then you have Chance on the Pop just randomly popping into the the movie.
Speaker 3: It's so weird.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and they mistake Gail Weathers for Connie Chung see, which is.
Speaker 3: Weird because in the Jay and Silent Bob versus Scream is a franchise like in In In one of those movies, they stumble on the set of a Scream movie. Oh that's right, So what's going on? So do Jay and Soundbob exist in two universes?
Speaker 2: They're inter dimensional beings?
Speaker 3: Yeah, they're they're they're they're nexus beings. I kind of like that.
Speaker 2: Hey, hey, Kevin Smith, there's your movie. If anything happens to them, the universes collapse, they're holding together. They're like Loki.
Speaker 3: Skeet ol Rich. I feel like he should have had more of a career.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, actually I have his thing open because his IMDb I should she's about to have his thing open. I was just he was like, man, I walked right into that because I don't know what I really see. Oh you know, I saw it to my surprise. He it plays a thug in Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, the ninety nineteen ninety movie.
Speaker 3: Oh interesting, Okay.
Speaker 2: He's in as good as it gets, which I kind of remember, now that I say it.
Speaker 3: I don't remember that at all.
Speaker 2: The Newton Boys, Chill Factor, remember that.
Speaker 3: I remember Chill I remember watching Chill Factor in an empty theater.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and he he was on a show which is called Jericho. Do you remember that?
Speaker 2: Yes, I think because of you.
Speaker 3: Actually no, you're thinking of Jeremiah, which is at Perry Show.
Speaker 2: I was gonna say, is Luke Perry on that? Yeah?
Speaker 3: Okay, Yeah, this is this is a repeat of an exact conversation I had with I'm gonna like three hours ago. I'm like, no, damn it, it's Jericho, not Jeremiah. Get your get your Jay starting shows about a post apocalyptic society straight, you know, people up, Yeah, damn it. No. So it was like it was like a post ap like there's a it's a it's like Kansas or something after a nuclear attack. Yeah, and he starred and it had what's his name, Major Dad.
Speaker 2: Oh Maaney, Gerald McCraney, Jerald McCraney.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Yeah, So he was on that show that did okay, And then he was on Dad. Sorry, yeah, I don't know. I didn't go with Simon and Simon.
Speaker 2: No, No, it's good, it's good today.
Speaker 3: It's Major Dad. Anyway. He was also on Law and Order LA oh I remember that. Yeah, for like half a season. Then he killed his ass off, and I think he just yeah.
Speaker 2: River Dad, he was in sixty four episodes of Riverdale.
Speaker 3: Sixty four episodes. Who did he play?
Speaker 2: I have no idea Ethnic Jones.
Speaker 3: Oh so he's like related to Jughead?
Speaker 2: Is he Jughead's dad?
Speaker 3: Wow? So him and Luke Perry both there you go. So the streams did cross eventually.
Speaker 2: Yeah, look at this. I just got to point out this, this, this wide angle group shot.
Speaker 3: I love that stuff. Yeah, it's it's it's and there's so much life in the frame.
Speaker 2: Yes, exactly, that, exactly that, I mean, you know. Wes Craven then went on to do like Red Eye, which I think is fun, tight, little ninety minute thriller, and he's just, yeah, I wish he had made some more thrillers. I wish we'd gotten some more thrillers out of him. Red Eye was when was that early Autus five or something? Okay, that sounds about right? Yeah, yeah, well this is this is the scene here.
Speaker 3: It's what's very funny is that the rules as it pertains to horror movies in general are like pretty much bullshit, right, sure right, but it doesn't matter because they're the rules for this world, you know.
Speaker 2: And he's got enough evidence to back it up that we're like, okay, even if he's just talking about one movie maybe like Halloween, yeah something, Yeah, but who to this day, if someone leaves a room and says I'll be.
Speaker 3: Back, Oh yeah, you have to say it like, oh be right, b yeah.
Speaker 2: I'll be right back exactly. Yeah, yeah, yeah, I just had to see it see Lillard do it. But yeah, but you know, it's kind of cool what I like about these movies.
Speaker 3: You know what you think about it? Real quick?
Speaker 2: Sorry?
Speaker 3: Yeah, Stu leaves to get beer, yes, and he comes back. That should have been our clue right away.
Speaker 2: Oh that's good man. This continues to grow in my right, Yeah, you're right, you're right.
Speaker 3: Like the problem is we watch it now and we know we know Stu's the killer, right. It's like so like so it's hard to put yourself back in the state of mind of watching it the first time and trying to track the like who is it? You know?
Speaker 2: Actually, that's funny you say that, because I had that experience watching it this time where they like Dewey will act kind of weird in a scene and I'm like, Dewey, you know, like, how could you ever make me believe it's Dewey, but it's.
Speaker 3: Like this right here, when he asks Gale to go on a walk with him.
Speaker 2: Yeah, exactly right.
Speaker 3: If you don't know that that he's not the killer, then it's odd, you know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but yeah, in ninety six, you didn't know.
Speaker 3: These people, that's right. He was just a weird guy.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah. And then he becomes the beloved charming guy.
Speaker 3: That's right, the rest of this, and it becomes the dead guy.
Speaker 1: M M.
Speaker 3: I've said before that was that was Han Solo esque in terms of when when they when they off to Dewey in this in the fifth one, you.
Speaker 2: Know, I know you gotta do it at some point if you're gonna have that many sequels. But also I wish he was in the new one.
Speaker 3: Yep.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Like there's just some people I just want to continue seeing. But what I was gonna say is I like that each movie kind of zeros in about a film trend, right, Like this one's kind of like about the Final Girl, and then the second one is about sequels, and the third one, of course is trilogies, and then the fourth one is about being online famous, and the fifth one I think is about like elevated horror, you know, like it is. I just like that there's and then the seventh one. I don't think it's a spoiler to say it's about bringing the original star back to a series, you know, like commenting on that, and.
Speaker 3: So that's interesting.
Speaker 2: I like that. I like that as a conceit for each one for them to build off of.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Yeah, so now who calls and says this about the principal?
Speaker 2: That is a good question, like who's hanging about the school drinking on the football field or something. Well, because if that was part of their plan, right to get everyone out of there, then is it are they both occupied? Well, I guess it'd be Stu, right because Billity's up there with Sydney.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but if it's like, it can't be Stu on the phone because he'd be like, hey, Stu, why are you calling me?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Yeah, I don't know. Oh, Clerk's shout out there at the VHS on the I do love this whole conceit of the camera in there. But there's a thirty second delight that that's great, very very clever.
Speaker 3: You know there are they are they scared and running away or they're just excited to see the principal strung up.
Speaker 2: I think they just want to poke a body with a stick. They're just like, yeah, the principal's dead.
Speaker 3: I was thinking about it. At one point one of them says, Hio Silver, let's go, and I was like, what an odd thing? I can I can see that reference kind of working in ninety six, but can you imagine a kid saying that now?
Speaker 2: No? Yeah, yeah, up, up and away.
Speaker 3: You know, I don't.
Speaker 2: They have a real I mean, obviously they got married, are yet and Cox, But like they do have a real sweet chemistry. Like I believe this hard as nails character Gail Weathers. You can imagine she would have a hard time falling for someone as kind of dopey as him, right, But they make me believe it.
Speaker 3: Yeah you know, Yeah, those cars get.
Speaker 2: Really close to them. I mean, I know there's the stunt people in that one shot, but there's that one where you can actually see it's them and they're they're yeah close.
Speaker 3: I'm like, whoo, that's how we used to do it, Brian, That's right.
Speaker 2: I mean I bring this up a couple of times, but I remember watching the movie Used Cars with Robert Zemeckis, and I was listening to the commentary, and there's this shot where one of the characters I don't remember who was like stumbling down a street and the joke is this car comes right up to him and turns it the last second at high speeds and avoids them. But the guy isn't aware at all that had happened. And you can hear on the commentary is the meccas is like, I can't I can't even look at this. What are we thinking? And he's like I can't look I can't look at this, and you're like, yeah, back then they're like, yeah, I put Kurt Russell on the road. Well, don't worry. The stuff is like trust me, trust me.
Speaker 3: It takes your licks for the sake of the shot.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: It's crazy how we're already like in wrap it up mode now.
Speaker 2: I know, you know, there's like a I always think about this when I watch Back to the Future because that movie, for being almost two hours long, flies And then when there's that moment where Marty it's nighttime and Marty's wearing the suit and he's talking to Doc and he's setting up the table, I'm every time I'm like, oh, we're here already. Yeah, you know, and that reminds me of this right where it's like the party is starting. I'm like, oh, we're here already like this, this is the ramp up to the end. But it is it's forty minutes long. I mean the quote unquote third act I guess of this movie is like forty minutes.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's I think that. I was thinking about the length of the film. I was like, I I think it's a it's it's like exactly as long as it needs to be. M hm, you know, just under two hours. I think ninety minutes you'd be losing a lot. Yeah, I agree, you know, And and I think they pace it out really well. And so you know, when you think about it in terms of like, oh it's been too long without a killing, let's kill let's kill Phonsie, you kind of get it. Yeah, Like you know, because because there's so much exposition that's being ladled out, it's like we got to have a little something here. But the movie itself needs to be as long as it is.
Speaker 2: I agree, there's no nev naive your naive girl, but I love that the movie. He's being so dark here. Yeah, so you are like I don't know about this guy, but then they subvert it having ghost face come through the door say oh, well, I'll be.
Speaker 3: You know, it reminds me of the performance of one Brian J. Hall in a movie that he appeared in with one Zaki Hassan back in the summer of ninety nine.
Speaker 2: Would that be something freaky?
Speaker 3: The very same something? I can't help but think of that film. Well, let me, I'm using air quotes film as I watch this, because that was written by our friend Sean and and you know that there was a spirit of let's put on a show that we had back then.
Speaker 2: Do I mean that's the thing.
Speaker 3: We had a youthful verve and passion which has been drained out of us by life now.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, But I mean for people who don't know, I mean Zakie and I met in a film class. That's right, Zakie and I and Sean and like we we were the kids having that film discussion at the beginning of Scream Too, making all the references.
Speaker 3: You know, three Randy's talking at each other, that's exactly.
Speaker 2: And we were so inspired by all this stuff that we would just instead of thinking, wouldn't it be fun if we tried to do something like this. No, we like put pen to paper. And then we stayed up all night and we got a camera and we shot this stuff. And so we did our scream homage at our community college.
Speaker 3: We shot this at at College Due Page in Glenn Allen, Illinois. Yep, I guess we can say this now. Was at the old TV station over there, and we were running around. I mean it was like midnight, one am. We're running around with knives and guns and whatnot.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, and blood.
Speaker 3: It is bananas. What we did?
Speaker 2: I know, I know.
Speaker 3: And And to the point I was making is my character. So it's about characters shooting a movie and there is a killer among them m hm. And my character stumbles upon them shooting this film and I'm like, hey, you're making a movie. Can I be involved? And then you, Brian are like you want to die? Right because I was going to play the victim, but ah, misdirect, you were actually the killer. I was. It was very It was very much by the way I love this great where he's he's talking, He's saying Jamie, Jamie is.
Speaker 2: Talking to himself right right, talking to Jamie Lee Curtis on the screen.
Speaker 3: But it's Jamie Kennedy.
Speaker 2: Jamie Kennedy, Jamie turn around. How did you?
Speaker 3: I love that?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 3: No, But we have the scene in a little bit where where Sid is pointing the gun at Stu and Randy and and I was like, oh, this is Sean. This is what Sean was like inspired by.
Speaker 2: As I was watching one, two and three, I thought of that experience multiple times in like the most loving way.
Speaker 3: Oh. Absolutely that was That was a blast.
Speaker 2: It was a blast.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so much fun.
Speaker 2: You know, it's great thinking about this delay again. You get this tension twice, you get the tension of being in the room with uh, you know, Randy. But then we get a little beat and then we get to see them relive that moment, not knowing how it turns out in the van. Yeah, but then it's a great screws it up for the poor camera guy. And I know thirty seconds gave the time for the killer to go outside.
Speaker 3: Oh man, I forel bet this guy.
Speaker 2: I like this guy. He you know, he doesn't do a lot, but he does enough to give him personality. Yes, he's kind of a perfect memorable partner to Gail, like who puts up with her stuff a little bit, but like pushes back occasionally. This is the stuff I wonder about sometimes in movies like this, where did they actually write into the script and then there's like gear in the back of the vand and so she crawls under it and then she's able to or is that stuff you kind of find on the day, you know, like, oh it said, it's sort of like to your point, you're the garage. Yeah, it's like, well we had this, but look at that. That's even better.
Speaker 3: I mean, I would assume that there's a fair amount of that in this because I think I think Wes Craven was that kind of a filmmaker.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, well, which, by the way, I've got I've gotta for posterity throw this out there. You were talking about Elm Street. Of course, Wes Craven. I grew up on Elm Street. You did in Wheaton, Illinois, and Wes Craven went to Wheaton College. So in my town, a lot of people believe that that was the Elm Street that inspired him, and I don't know, because I later I kind of dug into it. And apparently he went to a school in New York as well that was near an Elm Street, So pardon me, wonders if he just kept encountering it and to him it just felt like.
Speaker 3: A kind of any town, USA, exactly like Springfield, perfect example.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but that was kind of you know, every time I grew up, I never thought about it because that was just my address. But when I would give people my address and I'd say Elm Street, I'd always get a reaction from people.
Speaker 3: Hmm, good flair, it's great. I was just looking at that shot.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 2: It's interesting. By the way, I was reading that the original DP was let go from this movie before they finished shooting.
Speaker 3: Oh really, why is that?
Speaker 2: Just they were getting a lot of shots that were out of focus and unusable and wow, I guess they wanted to replace the whole camera crew. And the DP was like no, like you'd have to fire me too, and they're like okay, And so then they brought in Peter Deming, who he would see at this point. I think he would go on to become David Lynch's guy. Okay, so he would shoot like Lost basically. I think he started with Lynch on Lost Highway and then he went all the way to the end through the Lost Hiway.
Speaker 3: Was before this right, that was like seventy six sish or maybe it's right, am I wrough. I thought Lost and Lost Highway was earlier than this, but I could be wrong.
Speaker 2: I was thinking ninety seven, but I might be wrong. Ninety seven Yeah, yeah, okay. And so then he went on, you know, shot Mohun Drive and all those sorts of things, and then he shot the rest of the screen movies, so obviously that became a good collaboration. And he funny enough, he also did all the Austin Powers movies, so that's great.
Speaker 3: So he's he's you know, he's all. He's not doing like a Yanush thing where everything looks a certain way.
Speaker 2: Yes, exactly. And he also shot a little movie called Lucky You Urts Hands and Flick, which I worked on, and so I actually got to meet him and chat with him.
Speaker 3: And that's where Brian enters the story. Yeah I love that. That's great.
Speaker 2: But yeah, I was a little starstruck meeting him.
Speaker 3: So it's cool.
Speaker 2: That was very cool, Like I, you know, not often you're like familiar with the you know, TP's filmography, and yeah, I had so many questions for him. So Dewey, I think they kept it when they were filming this little they shot options about whether that Dewey was dead.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Right, so there's a there's a little bit of a Cosmo Renfro in the fugitive situation. Yes, uh. In this case, the test audiences really like Dewey, so they wanted to make his death less final, right, and so they kept him.
Speaker 2: Alive the right decision.
Speaker 3: Yeah, That's that's the tricky thing when it comes to, you know, having to decide to kill off long running characters. I think that's always sort of fascinating, right, because this is something that that Robert Kirkman talked about with the Walking Dead television series as compared to the comic book. You know, he said that it was relatively easy to kill off characters while doing the comic book, but he realized it was a lot harder when doing the show because because the characters are much more real and you form these parasocial relationships, and you know, that's that's that's the dilemma again with with the franchise. Like Scream, it relies on characters dying, But the longer characters last, the less we want to see them die, Like do we want to see Sidney Dye in one of these things, you know, I don't.
Speaker 2: Yeah, same, right.
Speaker 3: So that's why when she when she booked, you know when when for the for the sixth one, they didn't pay her for what she wanted and she's like, see, yeah, I was like, good, I'd rather know that she's out there alive, you know, right, yeah, this right here, this is this is something freaky.
Speaker 2: Yes it is. Yeah, that's right. That's so funny. You're you're the stew Yeah, that's right. She's like you both. That was like such a great twist too. I mean, having two killers, yep, it makes it very confusing, but it does.
Speaker 3: Add up and then brilliant.
Speaker 2: They kind of continue with that trend, not in three, but in two. There's two people. Yeah, kind of a master and an apprentice in that one.
Speaker 3: Yeh. Fifth one for sure, yep.
Speaker 2: And fourth one too, fourth.
Speaker 3: One, I'll say. See, I'm trying to remember sixth though. I was. I was telling him this morning, I was like, I don't remember who the killer is in the sixth one.
Speaker 2: I don't either. I remember. Now I'm realizing if people have seen the first one and they're listening to this, and like, I'm gonna watch the entire series, We're like, well, in the fourth one is Jeff, and then in the fifth one Stevie and Nicole, and in the sixth one they were just like completely flatly ruining all of them. I remember the conceit it's like his daughter, Billy Loomis's daughter, but I don't remember.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so that's that's the Melissa Brera character, right right, which is great because it gave Skeet a new character to play. M well, his old character to play. I should say it gave him a new gig. So I have to imagine he was just as miffed when when Melissa Brera got fired, right, because he had a good thing going there.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, And he's quote quoting in Psycho.
Speaker 3: Which is great because he's named after well, two horror characters. I guess I was thinking of Sam Loomis from Psycho, but also, uh, doctor Loomis, you know, from from Halloween, and and you know those are both good guy characters, so to some extent you're unconsciously at least you're supposed to think him as a good guy. But yeah, he you know, it's he says Anthony Perkins in Psycho. He doesn't say Norman Bates yes, and and to me that's like, yeah, he's he's uh, he doesn't. The line between reality and fantasy is just blurred for him, you know. I like that.
Speaker 2: I like that, you know, And it makes sense too that he.
Speaker 3: He's got this weird oedible thing right because his mom left and you know, oh.
Speaker 2: I didn't even think about that, but I just mean that, like all the references, it adds up right to the beginning scene where he's doing movie trivia with Casey. You know, it was interesting too. I read that they had to keep trimming this movie to get down to an R rating, right, Which did you read about that?
Speaker 3: Just just what I know is that that Wes Craven kept leaning on the satire aspect to try to get them to look at it differently. But I don't know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's basically what it came down to was they did make the trims, like we referenced earlier. Even that cameraman I think had a little bit more. I think his thing was he gets his throat slit.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but he.
Speaker 2: Lingered on him. And for Wes Craven, he thought that was more human and sympathetic and like, this is sad, this is a sad thing that's happening, but it was too horrifying for the MPAA, and so you know, they trimmed some of these deaths or gore or whatever it is. But what ultimately got the NPAA off their back was Bob Weinstein said, stop thinking about it as a horror movie. Think of it as a comedy, right, and then they're like, oh, okay, that's all it takes. Yeah, apparently, But that I mean, like I was saying earlier, I do feel like they get a little more. They always remain mysteries and character driven, but they become a bit more fun as they go along. But I do feel like this one does have kind of an edginus to it, maybe the most edginus in the real world. Like this is disturbing thinking about high school students doing this to each other and this is really you know.
Speaker 3: That's really like and it really struck me on this rewatching, like these are these are high schoolers that's really messed up.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, yeah, just killing their peers and taking their parents, friends, parents hostage and it's really upsetting. But I wouldn't change it. That's why I think it's good. Yeah, it's just he just struck the right tone perfectly.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's tricky, you know. I think as the films have gone on, and you know, they try to incorporate, you know, new ways in which we interface with the media, and you know, we've had much there's much more of a social media focus and later ones I think I think, I think that's an essential ingredient, right, because it's ultimately meta commentary about how we our relationship with media, you know. But that's the that's the constant challenge, you know, It's like how you know, I mean, supposedly they're already planning an eighth one, and you know, they'll keep going as long as they can, you know, but it's hard. You know, it's hard. How do you how do you keep it fresh? You know?
Speaker 2: You know it's interesting too, just thinking of the violence. This was in a moment where people were blaming movies a lot more for real world violence, and this movie kind of touches on it a little bit, but then two goes really into it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well, and and what was it like? It was ninety nine, Yeah, because it was when the Matrix came out. Remember, people were blaming the Matrix for the Columbine shootings.
Speaker 2: Well, and then they were shooting three. They started right after Columbine, so that movie did get toned down as a result.
Speaker 3: I remember that of that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, wow, that's why that one is probably the least uh because gory you you could say that's true.
Speaker 3: Right, Like, like there was this moment where it seemed like Hollywood was trying to trim as sales a little bit in terms of going into like like really hardcore horror. So there was like this dip and then and then in the following decade we started getting into the torture porn. Yes, right, stuff with like saw and you know whatever, hostile and whatnot. You know, right, So it's like there was this momentary pullback.
Speaker 2: Then it's like ah, yeah, yeah, like a pendulum. Then yeah, exactly the way to the other.
Speaker 3: Side, all the way to the other Sideah. And then and then you get your human centipedes. Yeah, somehow we ended up there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well we failed as a race, a human race for a while, but you know, we got it back. We got it back in.
Speaker 3: I love this. He stabbed him so much. He's feeling woozy. I know.
Speaker 2: It's so funny because again, like this is like a masterclass in balancing tones because that's funny and also really really upsetting. Yeah, you know, like the part where he's like, my parents are going to kill me. It makes me laugh and also makes me really uncomfortable, you know, like just thinking about him as a kid. You know, he's acting all tough and big and whatever and in charge here, but at the end of the day, as he's dying, he's a kid and worried about what his parents are going to think about this, right you know? Well I love that too, by the way, where he's like, Houston, we have a problem, you know, because they're missing the gun. And I mean if this came out in ninety six, they probably shot it months after Apollo thirteen had come out. Yeah, you know, so that's probably something they had just heard, but who knew that'd be something that would live on in people's memories for that.
Speaker 3: That's a great point, right right, look at that. You got to take the safety off, man, I know, I know. If there's one thing Scream taught me is that when I've got the serial killer dead to rights, make sure the gun safety is off.
Speaker 2: That's right.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 2: I was reading an interview, well I read an interview and I listened to a podcast with Matthew Lillard and he was talking about his earlier roles. So I had actually seen him before this in Hackers. Do you remember that? Ah, yes, that's right, And he plays a really quirky guy in that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I didn't see that until later. Yeah, okay.
Speaker 2: But he was saying, when I look at Hackers, and when I look at you know, Scream, especially like the ending, I just see this kid overacting, you like, trying too hard to be memorable. And he is, like, he has a quote, he's like, we were crazy if I ever saw somebody do that on and said, be like, dude, bring it down fifty eight percent. But I disagree, Like, I think he's doing it perfectly, you know. And I think the reason it works it adds a strange sort of levity to all the awfulness that we're seeing right now. It also makes him super unique and interesting and different than Billy. And I think why it works too is that feels like Matthew Lillard, Yeah, that's good point, you know what I mean. Like I think sometimes people try to play like, oh, I'll play the crazy guy, but they don't have that crazy in their eye. Right, Like the first thing they came to mind, was Timothy Shalomey playing Wonka. I just never kind of bought like Wonka's like a little unhinged. I never quite bought schalome playing like a fanciful unhinged guy.
Speaker 3: It just felt like, you don't buy him as a child murderer.
Speaker 2: Yes, you know what I mean, Like he's he's trying to do a type that I don't feel like is inherent inside of him. Lillard is playing something that comes naturally to him. So it just feels kind of fun to watch.
Speaker 3: That's right, He's like as is. It's it's like sideshow Bob writing the letter with his blood, you know, and he's passing out. That's where Stu is.
Speaker 2: Right right, you had been the phone dick. So yeah, that's it. My parents are gonna be so mad at me.
Speaker 3: And then this, this house ends up becoming like a like a hallowed location in in the Scream verse because because we come back to it and Scream five, and from what I can see in the trailers, it's in the in the it's in the seventh one.
Speaker 2: Yep yep used in a pretty unique way. And then in three, Sydney visits the set of stab that's right, and she gets to see her house and Stew's house as these facades. But it's a really creepy moment for Oh I read by the way that umbrella gag there that they just did ye that the stunt person missed the pad that was under Ulrich's shirt. Oh really did like stab them with that thing?
Speaker 3: Holy moly.
Speaker 2: Yeah. By the way, she didn't really have to put that costume.
Speaker 3: I was about to mention that. I was like, is there a reason that seems like extra effort?
Speaker 2: It's cool, it's cool imagery.
Speaker 3: I mean, if you're gonna make it into a moment, I guess, but in.
Speaker 2: Real life, like why obscure your vision?
Speaker 3: But even in the movie, it's not really a moment, you know what I mean?
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I mean it's a visual for two seconds.
Speaker 3: Like if it was if it was a thing where he opens the door and he sees ghost face and he has a momentary ooh you.
Speaker 2: Know yeah, yeah, make more of a moment out of it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, like that would be there, you know. Yeah. I think of the ways I want to go. Having a giant old tube TV dropped on my head. I'm gonna say that's like a top six ways I don't want to go.
Speaker 2: You know, it's funny. It's such a horrifying image seeing this guy in a bloody sweater with a tube TV that's sparking over him and he's like shaking and convulsing, and it still is. But it does make me think of how far we've come where this was probably like really really intense pushing NC seventeen back in ninety six, but like just TV itself and streaming like Game of Thrones have gotten so you know what I mean, Like the line is always pushed.
Speaker 3: Now it's just good, clean fun.
Speaker 2: You know what that also makes me think of is that movie.
Speaker 3: As she sticks her finger in his wound and we're just seeing air of popcorn, laughing.
Speaker 2: Gross point blank. Do you remember that movie where jhene Cusy plays a hitman who goes to and he puts a tube he throws a tube TV on top of Dan Aykroyd. Yep, And I remember that like upsetting.
Speaker 3: Also, well, I'm glad we don't got those types of TVs anymore.
Speaker 2: Yeah, thank god, thank god we've got the flat screen going on now.
Speaker 3: Thank goodness for that. Hopefully this this commentary track does not turn out to be my moment of irony where I'm like, one way, I definitely don't want to go, and then you're listening to this like thirty years from now. It's like, oh man, right, that's really unfortunate and accurate. You know.
Speaker 2: Was that Pat and Oswald bit where he's talking about in the movie where it's like, you know, you see Chuck Berry passing guitar as a six year old be like, what's that? Yeah, we can kind of smile because we know that that's going to be one of the most important things in his life. For you. Yeah, this thirty years from now is are listening and it's like, well, I hope the old tube TV bit doesn't happen to me. Everybody knows somehow.
Speaker 3: Ever, since I heard that, I always think about that. It's like, is this my moment of irony?
Speaker 2: In a right moment of irony? Yes, that's what it is.
Speaker 3: Because he talks about it. It's like, you know, you have the mo It's it's not Chuck Berry. It's like Paul McCartney, That's what it is. Yeah, And it's like, oh see, because he's Paul McCartney and he's you know, but it's like you know, he's like, I hope my Paul mccarton, or he's like, I hope my moment like that is where I when I was in grade school and I drew a picture of a rhinoceros wearing a dress, and my teacher's like, what do you think you are? Oswalt's some kind of comedian, and he's like, oh, see's funny because he's a comedian. You know. He's like, I hope that's my moment of irony and not. Oh so that's the guy who when he was forty, he fell into the rhino enclosure and he got asked right by the rhino. It's right, right, right, man, It's just ironic, you know.
Speaker 2: It's like, that's true. I remember you playing that for me many many years ago, and I've always thought about that. What is my ironic moment? I don't realize I'm living.
Speaker 3: Now now. Just here, she says something out of a scary movie, which we would have been like, hey, she said the thing, but of course yes, it's not the thing. What's funny is that the movie that became scary movie originally had a title that was like I know what you screamed last summer or some freaking thing.
Speaker 2: Last Halloween yeah or something yeah, yeah, something like that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And because it was like it was like, don't be a menace to South Central while drinking your juice in the hood. It was like that, but instead they called it scary movie. And those movies have gone on and done just fine.
Speaker 2: And there's going to be a new one this year. Oh there is. I forgot about that. Yeah, I want to say August, Wow, look at that. Yeah, and the wains are back.
Speaker 3: We got your scream here, you got your scary there.
Speaker 2: Yep, yep.
Speaker 3: It's like nineteen the nineties never left.
Speaker 2: Is basically yay, where's hammer I've said. I just told someone recently, like I all this nineties stuff coming back, and you know, the jeans and everything were are the hammer pants? And you know, I said that to someone in there, like would you seriously wear hammer pants if they came back? And I was like, yes, I would. That's all.
Speaker 3: You know, we thank you for that.
Speaker 2: One more tid that I had that I have to share. I thought this was kind of funny speaking of scary movie. So I think it increases with each movie, but there's whenever a victor, you know, a potential Victims is running away from ghost Face. They're always throwing flower vases at his head or beer bottles at his crotch or like, you know, like crazy things, and it becomes almost funny, like how much he's getting beaten up, and they do play for laughs in Scary Movie where she like throws a piano down the stairs and he's like running away. But apparently they were clocking that in this one, that it was starting to become kind of funny. Yeah, how clumsy he was or how often he's getting knocked down, and so there were extra things he was hit with. Apparently Sydney beat him over the head with a picture from the wall, okay, and so they cut that out. So they found the moment where it was not comic.
Speaker 3: Where the sublime became ridiculous.
Speaker 2: And that's exactly exactly interesting.
Speaker 3: So I thought that, by the way, that that credit sequence that we just saw, there's something freaky vibes right there.
Speaker 2: Dude, I totally forgot about that. Yeah, yeah, I always think of Predator for some reason. That's the movie I think of where you have the end credits and it doesn't just say the character's name, you see a little clip of them from the movie you just watched, right, you know, kind of in slow mo or something.
Speaker 3: Yeah, look at that phone voice, Roger Jackson, my man getting second billing.
Speaker 2: He earns it. That makes an impression.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's hard to imagine Scream without his voice. Mm hmm. So what do you think, Well, you know, I'll tell you kind of what we started this discussion at where it's like, you know, you and I don't come at this as horror fans, but we do come at it as Scream fans. And I think that's a fascinating sort of nether space to find yourself in. You know. Sure, Yeah, I think partly, like I just feel the sense of like it just takes me back. It takes me back to when this movie came out, and just that whole era of not just my life, but like pop culture, you know, And so I'm glad that these films. My sense is that they do somewhat live on, even though I said before that, like, you know, my students don't feel any desire to watch the new one, you know, but I think for me it plays in a very specific way because I lived through that era and I was closer in age to the characters in the movie, you know, sure, sure, yeah, And that's you know, I mean, I'm looking forward to seeing the new one.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm looking forward to watching it again.
Speaker 3: What are your thoughts revisiting? I mean you said you saw this not during its initial release, you saw it after three came out. Yes, so you were already like twenty at that point.
Speaker 2: No, I just enjoyed them.
Speaker 3: Now you're pushing fifty.
Speaker 2: Oh how do I look at them now? Yeah? To me, this movie completely holds up. I mean on a story level, on a character level, and on a filmmaking level. I still find the filmmaking kinetic.
Speaker 3: They shout out to Greg Nicotaro there doing the makeup effects see of course of Walking Dead Fame.
Speaker 2: Oh nice, nice, But no, you know what I mean. They to me, they remain propulsive and kinetic and cinematic and thrilling and fun and scary, and I care about the characters and I still find it, you know, fun, you know, So I to me, I think this movie completely holds up.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I mean the sequels have their own, you know, different personalities, and they hold up maybe differently, but this one I just feel like it was a great movie. Then I think it's still a great movie.
Speaker 3: Now, well, there we go. I think that's a good place to leave this discussion. Yeah, but hey, if those of you listening tell us your thoughts on screen, the original and the franchise. Let us know what you thought about our thoughts on the film. You can email us at moviefilmpodcast at gmail dot com. You can also hit like on our Facebook page Facebook dot com slash moviefilm podcast and message us there. As always, please go to Apple Podcasts and leave review, leave a star rating. If you're listening to this show on YouTube, please hit like and subscribe to that page and leave comments there because we do read those on the show. We also have a Patreon page, Brian Yes.
Speaker 2: If you head over to Patreon dot com slash moviefilm podcast and hit subscribe for only five dollars a month, you'll find every commentary we've ever done and every episode moving forward absolutely ad free. You'll also find bonus conversations that we have from time to time that won't fit into our regular episodes that we drop on that feed about twice a month. Our free feed will always be available, but this is our way of providing what we believe is the most satisfying way to enjoy the show, so no commercials, interruptions butting into the conversation, especially if you're trying to watch the commentary along with the movie. Plus, your subscription goes a long way and helping to support us and helping to sustain producing the show. So if you're interested in Abel, please head over to patreon dot com Slash Movie Film Podcast and subscribe. We'd be very grateful.
Speaker 3: There we go, And if you're looking for me online, you can find me on social media at Zaki's Corner. That z Akis Corner. Can also find my reviews at the San Francisco Chronicle and also at IgM and the Rap Brian What About You.
Speaker 2: You can find episodes I've written of Puppy Dog Pals and Young Jedi Adventures streaming on Disney Plus.
Speaker 3: And we're that on behalf of my partner Brian Hall. My name is Zachi Hason. This has been our commentary track for Scream. We will catch you next time. Thanks everybody,