Speaker 1: All right, buckle up everyone. We're diving deep today into the world of the clean coder by Uncle Bob. And before you think, ugh, another coding book, trust me, this is less about the how of coding, more about the who, the kind of developer you are, the professional and you want to be.
Speaker 2: It's almost like a philosophy, right, like, what are the guiding principles that separate a good programmer from a truly great one?
Speaker 1: Exactly? And he doesn't mess around. He dives right in with this story about him and a colleague, Joe. They were like the a team of bug fixing, pulling all nighters, yeah, to get things shipped on time for the engineering team. But when it came to legal team is a different story.
Speaker 2: Oh I remember that part, Joe. Evin says something like, but these are professionals. It's like this unspoken thing, right, the programmers aren't held to the same standards as say, lawyers or doctors.
Speaker 1: Uncle Bob's like, hold up, that's got to change. He says, the foundation of any true professional is do no.
Speaker 2: Harm, which, when you think about software, has so many layers. Obviously, we don't want buggy code out in the wild, but it goes deeper, right, Like what about the harm we do to the software itself by making it a nightmare to maintain?
Speaker 1: Oh man, I've inherited some code bases that felt like a personal attack, like trying to untangle a headphone cord after it's been in your.
Speaker 2: Pocket all day, exactly, and then someone else has to come along and deal with that mess. So how do we avoid becoming that developer? Michael Bob's got some thoughts.
Speaker 1: He's big on the work ethic, but it's not just showing up and coding. He's talking about constant learning, like twenty hours a week outside your job.
Speaker 2: I know, right, sounds intense, but think about it, even just reading during lunch, podcasts on your commute.
Speaker 1: It adds up. Plus tech moves so fast. If you're not learning, you're falling.
Speaker 2: Behind, exactly. And it's not just keeping up, it's about becoming the expert, the one people turn to, the one who's always pushing the boundaries.
Speaker 1: So true, And speaking of pushing boundaries, he talks about the importance of practice, not just working on projects, but like deliberate practice. He calls them kata, these short coding exercises kind of like a musician practicing scales.
Speaker 3: Oh, I love kata.
Speaker 2: It's such a great way to sharpen your skills, you know, not even solving real problems, just focusing on technique efficiency.
Speaker 1: I gotta try that. But even with all the solo practice in the world, Uncle Bob's a huge believer in collaboration.
Speaker 3: Which makes sense, right.
Speaker 2: Software is rarely a one person show anymore, bouncing ideas off each other, pair programming, mentoring.
Speaker 1: Like, you learn so much faster when you're not in a vacuum.
Speaker 2: And you avoid those situations where only one person understands that critical piece of code.
Speaker 1: Okay, so we've got learning, we've got collaboration, but now comes apart. I struggle with saying no.
Speaker 2: Ooh yeah, that's a tough one.
Speaker 1: Especially when you want to be helpful, you want to please people. But Uncle Bob makes this point saying yes when you don't mean it, it actually hurts everyone in the long run.
Speaker 2: He talks about that language of non commitment right, like we should or I hope to. It's so easy to fall into that track.
Speaker 1: Oh totally, I'm so guilty of that. But he gives this great alternative, I will action by time. It forces you to be specific, accountable.
Speaker 2: And it sets clear expectations, so no one's left wondering. But what about when you have to say no, like the request is unreasonable.
Speaker 1: He's got a framework for that too, about focusing on the why, not just no, but no because, and offering alternatives if you can.
Speaker 2: It shows you're not just being difficult, you're problem solving. You're using your expertise to guide things in the right direction.
Speaker 1: I had this situation once I was asked to build this feature, and I knew it was going to be a nightmare, way too complex. But instead of just saying no, I explained the technical challenges, like even I proposed a phased approach, something more realistic, and how'd that go? They were actually super receptive. They appreciated the honesty, the transparency. It turned into a much better solution than the end.
Speaker 3: That's professionalism and action.
Speaker 1: And speaking of challenges, we got to talk about the pressure cooker of software development. Uncle Bob tells this crazy story about an app called Guerrilla Mart.
Speaker 2: Oh. Yeah, that one stays with you. It's like a cautionary tale.
Speaker 1: Impossible deadlines, scope creep, that is velper John is sacrificing everything.
Speaker 2: And it all comes back to that ability to say no effectively.
Speaker 1: Right if John hit set boundaries, managed expectations.
Speaker 2: But even when you do everything right, pressure happens. So what are Uncle Bob's tips for weathering those storms.
Speaker 1: Well, one that surprised me was keep things clean, not just code, but your workspace, your mental state.
Speaker 2: It's like, when everything else is chaotic, create some order where you can.
Speaker 1: It helps you think clearly, make better decisions under stress.
Speaker 2: And he talks about having a crisis discipline, a set of practices you can rely on when everything's hitting the fan. What are your go tos?
Speaker 1: For me, It's got to be stepping back, breathing deeply, reminding myself I've solved tough problems before, and breaking things down into smaller, manageable chunks.
Speaker 3: That's great.
Speaker 2: Uncle Bob also emphasizes sticking to your disciplines, test driven development, pair programming, whatever.
Speaker 3: Works for you.
Speaker 2: Those become even more important when the pressure's.
Speaker 1: On and you know what, it's okay to ask for help, not try to be the hero.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, sometimes the most professional thing is admitting you need support.
Speaker 3: A fresh perspective can make all the difference.
Speaker 1: So we've talked about pressure collaboration, but there's this other aspect of the clean coder that's really fascinating, this idea that programmers shouldn't be lone wolves that it's actually unprofessional.
Speaker 2: I think he even tells a story about getting fired for being too focused on the tech and not enough on the bigger picture, the business impact.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's like, we got to remember we're building solutions for real.
Speaker 2: People, understanding the business, talking to users.
Speaker 3: It's all part of the job.
Speaker 1: I had this project once where I was so deep and optimizing an algorithm, m I totally missed a key constraint related to the company's internal processes.
Speaker 3: Oh no, did you have to rework everything we did?
Speaker 1: It was a hard lesson and the importance of asking questions, not assuming you have all the answers, collaborating with everyone involved.
Speaker 2: And speaking of collaboration, Uncle Bob's a big fan of collective code ownership.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I've worked in places where certain code was like someone's personal kingdom.
Speaker 2: He argues that shared ownership leads to better solutions, less resentment.
Speaker 1: And then there's pair programming, which I know could be controversial.
Speaker 2: He addresses all the common objections feeling slowed down, fear judgment, but the benefits are huge better code, constant review, knowledge sharing.
Speaker 1: It's like having a built in second brain, catching errors before they become disasters. So we've covered a lot professionalism, learning, collaboration, but there's one more piece we haven't touched on, the journey from apprentice to craftsmen.
Speaker 2: Oh that's a good one. He even tells this adorable story about learning to program as a kid. He was fascinated by this little toy computer, even built a computerized gait for his neighbor.
Speaker 1: Ah, that's awesome. It reminds you the pure joy of coding, the possibilities, and.
Speaker 2: That sets the stage for his exploration of the different stages of a programmer's growth.
Speaker 1: The apprentice, the journeyman, the master. Sounds kind of like a fantasy.
Speaker 2: It does, but it's really about the skills, the mindset, the values you develop over time.
Speaker 1: So it's more than just technical ability. It's about character.
Speaker 2: Development exactly, and that's what we'll be digging into in the next part of our deep dive.
Speaker 1: So stick around. We'll be right back after short break.
Speaker 2: All right, So we left off talking about this idea of a programmer's journey, but before we get to the apprentice, journeyman master thing. There's this other concept Uncle Bob brings up about teams and how they should be structured, which honestly kind of blew my mind, I.
Speaker 1: Know, right. It goes against how a lot of companies do think totally.
Speaker 2: Like, you finish a project, the team disbands, everyone gets shuffled around. Uncle Bob's like, no bad idea. He's all about persistent teams.
Speaker 1: So instead of forming teams around projects, you have these long term units and you assign projects to them based on their skills and experience exactly.
Speaker 2: It makes so much sense when you think about it, like a well functioning team. It's like a well oiled machine.
Speaker 1: Everyone knows each other's strengths, they can anticipate each other's moves.
Speaker 2: It's like a sports team. You don't swap players out every game.
Speaker 1: You build that chemistry, that trust over time.
Speaker 2: And Uncle Bob talks about this fermentation process, right, Like, teams go through these stages, the awkward getting to know you phase, maybe.
Speaker 1: A honeymoon period, and finally they reach this point of like seamless collaboration. They're in sync.
Speaker 2: And once you have that, why break it apart?
Speaker 1: Seems so counterproductive, right, You lose all that.
Speaker 2: Momentum totally and think about the knowledge transfer, the continuity. With persistent teams, you don't have to start from scratch every time.
Speaker 1: Let's I bet te morale is higher when you know you're in it for the long helse.
Speaker 2: Oh absolutely, it creates a sense of ownership, of shared responsibility. But okay, let's be real. Even with the best teams in the world, pressure is going to happen, right, Deadlines, stayholders, breathing down your neck.
Speaker 1: The joys of software development, and.
Speaker 2: Uncle Bob doesn't sugarcoat it. He acknowledges that pressure is part of the game, but he also gives some great advice on how to handle it like a.
Speaker 1: Pro, like what still the beans?
Speaker 2: Well, first off, managing your commitments. Remember that language of commitment we talked about.
Speaker 1: Clear specific promises about what you can deliver and buy.
Speaker 2: When exactly, don't over promise, set realistic expectations from the start, and when the pressures coming from outside those demanding stakeholders.
Speaker 1: Ooh yeah, those are fun.
Speaker 2: Uncle Bob's all about setting boundaries, having those tough conversations.
Speaker 1: By doing it professionally right, not just blowing up at people exactly.
Speaker 2: It's about using your expertise to guide things in the right direction. And another thing he emphasizes keep things clean.
Speaker 1: Wait, not just code, Nope.
Speaker 2: Your design, your workspace, even your mental state.
Speaker 1: I never thought about it like that, but it makes sense.
Speaker 2: When everything's chaotic around you, it's hard to think straight. So declutter refactor creates some.
Speaker 3: Order where you can.
Speaker 1: It's like clearing the cash in your brain totally.
Speaker 2: And then there's this concept of a crisis discipline, like when everything's going wrong, what are your go to practices?
Speaker 1: I got to have my list my emergency procedures first breathe remind myself I've solved tough problems before. Then break the problem down into smaller, more manageable pieces.
Speaker 2: Those are great. Uncle Bob also talks about sticking to your disciplines even under pressure, TDD, pair programming, whatever works for you.
Speaker 1: It's like, don't abandon the things that make you a good developer.
Speaker 2: And you know what, It's okay to ask for help. Don't be afraid to say I need a hand.
Speaker 1: Sometimes that's the most professional thing you can do.
Speaker 2: Admitting you don't have all the answers, seeking a fresh perspective. Okay, so we've talked about pressure teamwork, but there's this whole other layer to the clean coder, this idea that programmers shouldn't be these isolated figures, these lone wolves.
Speaker 1: He actually argues it's unprofessional to be that way.
Speaker 2: He even tells the story about getting fired for being too focused on the tech and not enough on the bigger picture, the business impact.
Speaker 1: It's a reminder that we're not coding in a vacuum.
Speaker 2: Right exactly, we're building solutions for real people, for real businesses.
Speaker 1: I had this experience once I was so focused on optimizing an algorithm, I completely overlooked a key constraint related to the company's internal processes.
Speaker 3: Uh oh did that cause problems big time.
Speaker 1: We had to rework a huge chunk of code because I hadn't taken the time to understand the full context the business side of things.
Speaker 2: It's a good lesson in the importance of asking questions, collaborating with everyone.
Speaker 1: And speaking of collaboration, Uncle Bob's a huge advocate for collective code ownership. Like no one owns a specific module, everyone can contribute.
Speaker 2: It breaks down those silos right, leads to better solutions, less resentment.
Speaker 1: And then there's pair programming, which I know some people love, some people hate.
Speaker 2: He dives into all the common objections, feeling slowed down, fear of judgment, but he really highlights the benefits better code quality, constant review.
Speaker 1: It's like having a built in second pair of eyes, catching errors before they become disastrous. Plus you learn from each other. It's like constant knowledge sharing.
Speaker 2: Okay, so we've covered a ton of ground professionalism, collaboration, but we haven't even gotten to the individual journey of developer yet. The apprentice journeyman master all that good stuff.
Speaker 1: Which he sets up with this adorable story about learning to program as a kid.
Speaker 2: Oh right, He was fascinated by this little toy computer, even built a computerized gait for his neighbor using it.
Speaker 1: It's so cool. It reminds you of that like pure joy.
Speaker 2: Of discovery, and that sets the stage for his exploration of the different stages of a programmer's growth, the skills, the mindset, the values you develop over time, and that's what.
Speaker 1: We're going to unpack in the final part of our deep dive into the clean coder. Right, welcome back to the deep dive. We've been on quite a journey through the clean coder from professionalism to collaboration to pressure, and this idea of a programmer's journey the apprentice to craftsmen. But now let's get down to brass tacks. How do we actually live this stuff? How do we take Uncle Bob's wisdom and make it real in our day to day work?
Speaker 2: Right, it's one thing to read about it, not along, but then you're back in the trenches, facing deadlines, dealing with people.
Speaker 1: So what are some actionable steps things we can start doing today to become more clean coders in the truest sense.
Speaker 3: I think it.
Speaker 2: Starts with awareness, honestly, just keeping these principles top of mind as you're coding, as you're interacting with your.
Speaker 1: Team, So almost like a mental checklist. Am I doing no harm? Am I communicating clearly?
Speaker 3: Yeah? And look, no one's perfect. We all slip up.
Speaker 2: But it's about the intention, that commitment to excellence that's what sets you apart.
Speaker 1: And Uncle Bob makes this point craftsmanship spreads by example, not by force. So it's not about lecturing your teammates or anything like that.
Speaker 2: It's about leading the way, showing them the benefits of clean code of collaboration.
Speaker 1: And you might be surprised. People start noticing, they start emulating those behaviors totally.
Speaker 2: It creates this ripple effect, this culture of excellence.
Speaker 1: Be the change you want to see, right, but in this case, be the clean.
Speaker 2: Coder exactly, And you don't have to do everything at once. Start small, spend an extra fifteen minutes refactoring, write a better commit message.
Speaker 1: Little things add up, especially when they become habits. And speaking of habits, remember that twenty hours a week for professional development.
Speaker 2: I know it sounds like a lot, but even if you can do a fraction of that, it makes the difference in the long run.
Speaker 1: It's an investment in yourself, your skills, your future.
Speaker 2: And it's not just about the technical stuff. It's about staying curious. Go to conferences, explore new technologies, expand your horizons.
Speaker 1: Embrace that lifelong learner mindset, never stop growing.
Speaker 2: But you know what, it's also important to find balance. Remember John from the Gorilla Art story, sacrificing everything, burning out, Yeah, that was rough.
Speaker 1: We got to take care of ourselves too.
Speaker 2: Right, Absolutely, hobbies, family, things that bring you joy. It's about sustainability. You can't pour from an empty cup.
Speaker 1: Set boundaries, prioritize your well being. It's not selfish, it's essential.
Speaker 2: And remember Uncle Bob talks about finding joy and like that story about building the computerized gait.
Speaker 3: As a kid.
Speaker 1: It reminds you of the magic, the possibilities that initial spark.
Speaker 3: Don't lose sight of that.
Speaker 2: Experiment, work on side projects, have fun.
Speaker 1: It's all about rediscovering that passion, letting it fuel your journey. So as we wrap up this deep dive into the Clean Coder, I want to leave you with this thought, the apprentice to craftsman journey, it's not a destination, it's a process, a continuous evolution.
Speaker 2: Embrace your own path, find mentors who inspire you, and never stop learning.
Speaker 1: Because these principles professionalism, collaboration, craftsmanship, they're not just about writing better code. They're about building a better.
Speaker 3: World, one line at a time.
Speaker 1: Beautifully said. And on that note, we'll wrap up this episode of the Deep Dive. We hope you enjoyed this journey through the Clean Coder and that you found some nuggets of wisdom to apply in your own work in life. Until next time, happy coding, everyone,