Speaker 1: Welcomeboard, Welcome to another Space City Saturday on Sports Talk seven ninety Dad Matthews Live and local h town breakdown of the world that matters to you, the Houston sports world.
Speaker 2: All these great Houston fans here.
Speaker 3: We love you all.
Speaker 1: So finish up on that to do list, flute up the cooler, because you can't drink in talk sports all day if you don't start.
Speaker 4: Now bear me the eight. This is Space City Saturday. That's insane.
Speaker 1: Here's seven nineties Dad Matthews, and away we go.
Speaker 5: Here for Space City Saturday Live here at Cedar Creek Cafe, West twentieth Street in the Heights at the corner of twentieth and Beetle. So come on out one o'clock today we are gonna get going for the sixth annual Gumbo cook Off. You heard me just a couple of minutes ago talking about it with Doug as they're getting set up out there, and I mean, I'll repeat myself, which I ought to do, even though it's one of my pet peeves, Like my dad used to repeat himself to me all the time, and I used to just be like I heard you the first time. Thanks, But in this case, I think it's a good thing.
Speaker 3: It is.
Speaker 5: The smells are amazing already, the tents are being set up, the teams have the pots on the boilers.
Speaker 3: They're getting going.
Speaker 5: They got the Trinity going, they're making the roo they're gonna start. So you know, maybe you're the chicken and sausage variety. Okay, they're gonna have that out here. Maybe you want a little bit of shrimp and crab in there. There you go. Maybe even some people are gonna shuck some oysters, throw some of those in there. Maybe that will be part of it as well, if you want that for you. But either way, we're gonna have plenty, plenty, plenty of gumbo out here.
Speaker 3: So there it.
Speaker 5: Is, again repeating myself, but again it's for a really good reason. So I know that Melbourne's going to be out here after the show, looking forward to seeing him. Gordy's going to be coming out here, Connor d McGovern and his lady, they're going to stop on by, and of course the fiance, Megan, she's.
Speaker 3: Going to join us out here. So why don't you join the cool kids group today? Huh?
Speaker 5: I mean, I'm inviting once you come on out here and join us. And I mean I've talked about it numerous times. We were out here before the Texans and Chiefs played each other in the regular season, and it's never a bad time to be out here. But I mean, what a difference just a few weeks makes because that was right around Christmas time, and of course wintertime. Even we're here in Houston, it can still get cold every once in a while, and it was pretty chilly. But I mean, as I sit here talking with you right now, the sun is bright and shining up in the sky, little to no cloud cover whatsoever. I mean, as a matter of fact, i'm looking up, I don't even think I see a single cloud anywhere in the sky. And it's a natural air conditioning out here. So the patio, if you've ever been out here to Cedar Creek, you know that it is elite. For my money, it's one of the best in the city of Houston, and it is a great spot. The brunch is amazing, so maybe you want to go ahead get that base layer in before you start trying some of the gumbo, and you cannot go wrong here. Chicken and waffles are fantastic. Everything here is amazing, So come on out here. And for my money, I feel like the Creek Group does a fantastic job. You know about Canyon, you know about Onion, some of the other spots they have here in the Heights in Houston area. So it is going to be a lot of fun. And one thing too, I know that we're going to have traffic for you here during the breaks, but a lot of our audience comes in from the spring Woodlands Conroe area.
Speaker 3: We'd love to have you come on in today.
Speaker 5: But also to pay close attention to those traffic reports. A really bad accident on forty five South right around West Road that believe the sign said that they had the freeway closed.
Speaker 3: So if you've got the easy.
Speaker 5: Tag, hop on over to the Hardy Toll Road or even to fifty nine South to get on down here. But of course, uh prayers to those involved in that accident and hopefully everything is okay when it's all said and done. But anyway, we are out here for the sixth annual Gumbo Cookoff. It's gonna be a lot of fun looking forward to it. I mean the food, the drinks, the live music. They're gonna have games and prizes going on, and of course, as I've been telling you all week in the promos, the gumbo it's gonna be amazing. So it's gonna be tons and tons of fun. If you want to weigh in on the conversation this morning, you can do so at seven one, three, two, one two five seven ninety. Once again, that's Sebon one three, two, one two five seven nine zero. As we'll get into, of course, as we are very close, very close to the Astros report to West Palm Beach for spring training, and there is still the question of are you going to have Esak Perettas playing third base this year or are you going to have Alex Bregman manning the hot corner for the Astros this season? And as we sit here at ten oh five in the morning, that question is still one that has a massive question mark on it because he's still a free agent and there's still the possibility that he could have.
Speaker 3: A reunion with the Astros.
Speaker 5: And if you've been listening to us all week, I mean I think that you kind of have a little bit of a mixed bag of people who are optimistic about his return, which will let you hear somebody who is part of our lineup during baseball season Jeff Blum his thoughts on Alex Bregman in a possible return here to the Astros a little bit later on in the show, But you know, it's him being a free agent. There's still a lot of people kicking the tires on him. I mean, there's a possibility that the Cubs could make a run at him. It sounds like, at least if you listen to Jeff Passon, the Red Sox are not going to be one of those teams, as they just signed Abraham Toro to believe, a minor league deal with a spring training invite, so a chance for him to make the club there in Boston, and I'm guessing that they looked at what they had and kind of like the Astros a little bit of a similar situation where they're first and third base spots are pretty much already filled. I know that they're pretty high on Tristan Kazis over there at first base, and obviously Rafael Dever is one of the best offensive third basemen in all of baseball. So sounds like that Craig Breslow and the front office crew there in Boston are winning out over Alex Cora in terms of trying to add Bregman. But if you were listening last night to us on the Nightcap, you knew that Jim Bowden, the former Major League GM thrown out that Bregman has a good offer into him from the Detroit Tigers, and there's also two report it's out there that well, that's nice. And while you would think that a reunion would be possible, it doesn't sound like Bregman's too keen on going to Detroit, which offensively, I can absolutely understand, because that seemingly is one of those spots. I mean, usually it's the West Coast teams where offense goes to die. I mean, not so much Dodger Stadium anymore, but I mean that was remember back in about twenty ten, twenty eleven when Albert Poohle signed with them, and people were kind of looking at Pooholes saying, all right, you.
Speaker 3: Got the bag.
Speaker 5: We understand that, but man, a lot of those balls that you hit at Bush Stadium are not going to go out at Angels Stadium, so you know, those numbers are going to kind of go down a little bit. Anthony Rendon hadn't worked out for him since he's gone out there, so Detroit is kind of considered to be one of those places, not one of the best hitters parks in all at baseball.
Speaker 3: And of course you know that they're an organization. When they're the.
Speaker 5: Most successful, it seemingly is predicated on how strong they're pitching is and last year it was outstanding. I mean, don't we know we been there before, haven't we as Astro fans seeing how good that Tiger's pitching staff was. But anyway, that's where things stand at the moment. With Alex Bregman. I threw out an invite to Ari Alexander of KPRC two to hop on with us this morning. Haven't heard back from him, but if he gets back to me and can, I think we're gonna try to get him in in the second hour of the show. But I mean, yeah, it's exciting, nonetheless for Astro season to be fired up. We're ready to go and here in just a few short weeks we're gonna start having spring training games for you here on Sports Talk seven to ninety. And I mean there's still questions with the Astros two outside of Bregman. Number one, first and foremost is who's playing left field for you. I mean, that's gonna be a question that's continued to be asked the last time before we start heading out to spring training. And know that Gordy and the Matt Thomas Show with Ross, they're gonna be out there this year for us. The last time we're gonna be chance to talk with Dana Brown is on Tuesday when the Astros have their media function and he and Joe A. Spada will meet with us one last time before they get in their cars, hop on a plane, whatever way possible to get down the West Palm Beach for the start of spring training. And you've got to believe that, you know, Dana Brown has been vocal about trying to add a left handed bat to this lineup, and I mean, you know, I can understand on the surface where he's going with this in terms of you want to balance off the lineup, but I mean, I just, for the life of me, I can't really understand why it's been for the last couple of years such a huge emphasis on, oh, left handed bat, left handed bat.
Speaker 3: We got to add a left handed bat.
Speaker 5: Play to your ballpark, man, like that short porch out there and right excuse me out there in left field.
Speaker 3: The Crawford boxes play to it.
Speaker 5: And I mean that's why I think, if you know, you don't necessarily need to be specific about either a right handed or a left handed bat. In this case, I would think that if you have a good option for a right handed bat, you know, have that in your lineup and have that at your disposals. So we'll see what they end up doing. But that's when we're gonna have a chance to catch up with Dana Brown. And I've got some thoughts too on Bregman. I've already shared some of them with you, will recycle some of those here on today's show. But one other thing that I was thinking on my way in that we'll get into here as the show goes along. Also to the Rockets in action tonight taking on the Brooklyn Nets over there at the Toyota Center. Seven o'clock tip, six o'clock Rockets launchpad coming your way, Rossville, Reale.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna be with you to get you set up.
Speaker 5: For the Rockets, which I mean a return home a place that's funny. You know how much a year makes a difference, right, and you know the Rockets last year on the road. I mean it was about to this time of the season before, they got their first road win and they are road warriors this year. And the other night, notwithstanding, it was a frustrating finish there at Memphis. Who's definitely wanted to see it go a different direction, but ended up not going at your direction as the Rockets losing that one nineteen. So now they're trying to be able to have a bounce back win tonight against the Nets, and the NBA trade deadline coming up later on this week, so I'm gonna have a chance to see if rafel Stone is going to be one of the more active gms out there, or if he's going to stay true to his word and say now we're going to run with this group. And it sounds like at least a lot of NBA insiders out there aren't mentioning the Rockets for that very reason, because rafel Stone has been pretty vocal from the beginning, I mean even before the season, talking about they really like this group.
Speaker 3: I want to see what this group can do.
Speaker 5: And this group is thirty two and fifteen, so that's hard to argue with the results of what they've been able to put together so far, even without Jabari Smith Junior being in the lineup. Amen Thompson obviously has played himself into one of the right you know, a chance to be one of the rising stars in this league. And that's what he's hoping to be able to build on this season and beyond.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 5: On the offensive end, Jalen Green has been able to take a step forward this year. Alprin Shingoon I think has shown a lot of defensive improvement and that has taken.
Speaker 3: His game to the next level.
Speaker 5: And earlier this week we found out with Alpi he's an NBA All Star. So looking forward to seeing him as part of that NBA All Star Game tournament that they're going to have here in a few weeks.
Speaker 3: But we're winding down.
Speaker 5: Get to the trade not only the trade deadline, but also too to the All Star break. So the Rockets trying to be able to hold serve where they are as the second seed in the Western Conference at the moment. And I mean, it's really to this point and hopefully let's see, is there any wood.
Speaker 3: Around here that I can knock on?
Speaker 5: Yeah, there we go, knock on wood that the Rockets look like they are in prime position to be one of the top six seeds in the Western Conference and keep themselves out of the play in tournament.
Speaker 3: That would be nice.
Speaker 5: You'd like to be able to stay inside the top four and at least host an opening round series at Toyota Center and be able to have playoff basketball back in there. I mean, I was even thinking about that last night, you know, just thinking how fun that would be late spring. I mean, we know how the vibes are inside Toyota Center that time of the year, and hoping that we can see that again. You know, you go there, you get a T shirt right there on your seat, throw the T shirt on and start cheering along with other Rocket fans to pull their team through and hopefully see them make a deep playoff run.
Speaker 3: So that is something.
Speaker 5: That we are hoping is in the cards this year for the Rockets. As well as going to get into a little bit of Texans conversation here later on in the hour, we're gonna have a chance to let you hear a visit that we had a couple of days Excuse me, you know, get me all choked up thinking about it a couple of days ago with Ross Tucker of Westwood One and also with CBS Sports as he joined us on the a team, and he had some interesting thoughts twofold number one on the Texans offensive coordinator opening with Bobby Slowak being shown the door, and also too with the offensive line. I mean, he had some really sharp opinions of one guy who I think there was a little bit of a love hate relationship with this Texans offensive lineman, and I think you know who I'm going with that. But it was as soon as you said it, we all kind of looked at each other, Adam and Adam and me me looking at him through the camera in my little studio. But still as soon as he said it, we were just like, wow, man, that is an indictment if there ever was one on the play of a guy. But anyway, we'll let you hear from Ross Tucker here in about fifteen minutes or so, we're going to replay that interview for you.
Speaker 3: But all of that is a fair game.
Speaker 5: Everything else of the sort is going to be fair game here on the show today. If you want to hop a board, you can do so. Subon one three two one two five seven ninety once again that's seven one three two one two five seven nine zero and coming up next. While optimism is still there, for the Astros. Some question that needs to be some questions need to be answered before you decide to go down the road of a reunion with Alex Bregman. We'll discuss that on the other side. And like I said, if you want to hop a board on the phone lines, you are willing and able and they are available. It's Sebone three two one two five seven ninety. Once again, that's Sebon one three two one two five seven nine zero. It's San Matthews here live at Cedar Creek Cafe, West twentieth Street and Beal Street. Why don't you come on out and see us, as we'll be here on the show from ten until noon, and then starting at one o'clock we're gonna be getting things fired up for the sixth annual Gumbo Cookoff. So come on out, swing through and enjoy this beautiful Saturday afternoon as we'll continue here on Space City Saturday, on your home of the Astros and the Rockets.
Speaker 3: Sports Talk seven.
Speaker 1: Ninety Space City Saturday continues fine Sports Talk seven ninety.
Speaker 5: Sports Talk seven ninety Ian Matthews here with you. I gotta tell you, you know set in tone, I don't think anybody does it better for my money than Melvin Brown. My guy knows how to set the mood every single time. And of course, get the washports going right there, get the zydecode going. I think we're gonna have a little bit of that out here at the sixth Annual Gumbo Cookoff. As if you missed the first segment, We're live here at Cedar Creek Cafe at the corner of West twentieth Street and beal here in the Heights. It's an absolutely beautiful day out here already, and it's supposed to get even better as the day goes long. I mean, I mentioned it. There is not a single cloud in the sky. The sun is high up in the sky, it is shining, and I mean it is just perfect, perfect outside. Maybe like a nice little quarter zip pullover or something like that, if you want to come out here and enjoy a little bit of brunch before the gumbo starts getting served. But then you know, I think a little bit later on you're gonna be able to take that quarter zip off, throw it in the car and be able to just enjoy some beautiful weather out here. I mean, you can't dial up a better day than it's gonna be here for the six to annual Gumbo Cookoff. Last year when we were out here a little chili, a little cloudy, a little bit of a dreary day, but that is not the case today. I mean, spring is right around the corner, and we know that spring gets going and we get a little hint of spring, because I mean, I think we can agree we've got really pretty much two seasons weatherwise here in Houston. I mean, you know, pushback if you disagree, but we've got a hint of fall, and I would say that probably the two categories that you can throw. Weather here in the city of Houston is not quite as hot and then summer blazing hot, whereas Clanton calls it the blowtorch, and we know that feels it is not like that right now. So it is an amazing day. So you know, when we get to June, July, August, you're gonna be begging for days like this of saying, man, you know, what'd be nice to be in the sixties seventies, feel to be outside. So that is at your disposal today wants you to swing on through and see us again. We are here at Cedar Creek. The Fund's gonna get started at one o'clock already see them setting up the live music stage.
Speaker 3: And I mentioned it too.
Speaker 5: I mean, you know, if you could smell through your speakers right now, the smells that I have hitting me in the nose at this moment. I mean, you've got the Holy Trinity going, You've got the root starting to be made.
Speaker 3: They're gonna start really.
Speaker 5: Boiling up that gumbo and start having fun out here, and the drinks are gonna be good, all of those things. It's it's an elite Saturday, what can we say? And I know that we have the open to the show of talking about you can't drink all day if you don't start now. I don't know of a better open the show, in a better hitting open to the show today than that one. Because it's gonna be awesome. It's gonna be a ton of fun. So I've drowned on long enough about that. It is going to be a fun time. So swing on through and see us as again. The fun will start at one o'clock again. Someone three two one two five seven ninety is the number to get in on the phone line seven one three two one two five seven nine zero.
Speaker 3: And uh, you know wanted.
Speaker 5: To be able to get into a little bit of Astro's discussion here with Alex Bregman as the Astros and Bregman still on the holding pattern, still waiting.
Speaker 3: I mean, it's kind of at that point.
Speaker 5: I brought this up last night, and Melvin, of course, was with me on the Nightcap where it's the gif that's on Twitter of the stick figure that's holding a literal stick poking at something and saying, hey, do something, Mike. I feel like that's Astro fans right now with this situation. And it's not even a Dana Brown thing, it's not even necessarily an Alex Bregman thing. I think that pretty much everyone is in the same category as me of just come to a decision one way or another.
Speaker 3: Man like, are you coming back cool? We'll be happy.
Speaker 5: We'll you know, all be wearing our Bregman number two jerseys and it will be exciting to see you coming out to the plate to either Boosy or to Little Troy, either of those songs. Is you know, we're we're eagerly anticipating. And of course, you know public address announcer Bob Ford, you know the dirt Basement Number two I've had a better Bob Ford before.
Speaker 3: But anyway, is there optimism to believe that Bregman is going to come back.
Speaker 5: We'll get to that here in just a second. But reality is that there is a chance that he could be. Hey, I don't know, Chicago cub a Detroit Tiger.
Speaker 3: He who knows.
Speaker 5: Maybe even the Mets decide that Pete Alonzo is not for them and they want Alex Bregman to be part of the Mets this season. That's in the cards as well. That could be a possibility. We'll all see. But Jeff Blum, of course, we know him. He joins us on the A team every single week, we see him in TK and Julia on Space City Home Network during the season.
Speaker 3: Does a tremendous job there. We love Blumber.
Speaker 5: I mean, we cannot talk about the mutual admiration society for Jeff Blum enough. The man is an absolute treasure and we love seeing and hearing him on Space City Saturday and with us on.
Speaker 3: The A team.
Speaker 5: But he joined majorly MLB Network earlier this week and he talked about at least the pessimistic view of Okay, Alex Bregman's not here, What does this team look like at the corners without Alex.
Speaker 6: Bregman, if you actually took last year's corner positions and added up their total in stats, I think going into twenty twenty five, the combination, I'm not saying the individuals, but the combination might actually be better in twenty twenty five for the Astros. And I've been just looking at the American League West. I think the Astros are still in pretty good shape and to contend.
Speaker 5: And look, it's not necessarily an indictment of Bregman what he's saying right there.
Speaker 3: It is more of just the situation.
Speaker 5: And I don't think anybody's going to push back on Blumber with what he just said, because first base it was very much a revolving door last year of you got a couple of really good weeks out of John Singleton, and then John Singleton became probably what he is in his career, a guy that's a good bat off the bench when you need him.
Speaker 3: But to be able to count on him.
Speaker 5: For long term production, that's just not necessarily something that I think you can realistically expect. And I mean you've worked other guys over there, you know, Victor Carratini, Zach de Zenzo, whoever you've thrown over there at first base. The moral of the story is, since you hoisted up the Commissioner's Trophy in twenty twelve, excuse me twenty twenty two, getting my years mixed up here.
Speaker 3: Twenty twelve was not a good year for the Astros.
Speaker 5: Twenty twenty two for the Astros when Julie Guriel was your everyday first baseman, you've not necessarily had any stability over there, you thought, and at least you hoped that you were going to get that when you signed Jose Bray you to a three year deal, and he started off slow but then picked it up and had some good moments in his first season. Last year, obviously we saw that he was a guy that was a complete shell of what he used to be as a player, and the Astros decided it was bad enough that even with sending him out to West Palm Beach, this just isn't gonna get any better. So let's eat the money and let's send him on his way. It's not about the guy, it's just he's just not the player he was anymore. And with both Christian Walker and Essak Perettis combined Blumber's not wrong, especially on the offensive end. While Perettis over at third base, maybe you do take a little bit of a step back with the glove because Breugman is elite with the glove over.
Speaker 3: At third base.
Speaker 5: You know that there's a ball hit to him over there more than likely, if it is a tougher variety of a play, he's gonna make it. If it's one that's a routine play, he's gonna make it. And he's not perfect by any means. He'll have his throwing years, he'll have his mishaps over there. There's every single player, even the best fielders in all of baseball, that's going to be the case. But power wise, probably across the board offensively, Peretis is a guy that there is a little bit of an upgrade there, at least from the offensive perspective at third base. And then of course with Christian Walker it's twofold, it's number one. You're getting a three time goal glove winner over there at first base, and you're also getting a guy that can be able to put the ball over the wall out in left field, and with that right handed bat, that short porch Crawford boxes out there and left. You really like the possibility that he can kind of take that part of his game to the next level. So Blumber's not wrong right there, all right, the optimistic view of it.
Speaker 3: Now, I understand when you hear this, you're.
Speaker 5: Gonna say, well, of course Blummer would say that he's part of the TV crew. He's Astros through and through two times during his career, part of this team. Really loved his time with this organization. Of course he's going to feel this way. But just listen to why Jeff Blum believes there is a reason if you're an Astros fan who wants a reunion with Alex Bregman to believe it can happen.
Speaker 6: My gut as he comes back, I just think man for me personally. And you know this two case. When you're in a ballpark where you've had a lot of success and you've got a ballpark that's built for your swing, I think Alex Bregman is the absolute prototype to put in a place like Minute Made Park. And he's also the guy that kind of is He's the stick that stirs their drink inside that clubhouse. Losing him wouldn't be just losing production at third base or a gold Glove at third base. It would be losing a guy who's your pitching coach, hitting coach, infield coach on the field in the middle of the game. He really proved to be a value for these guys emotionally and mentally.
Speaker 7: Everything that he.
Speaker 3: Said is true.
Speaker 5: I mean, we've heard it numerous times now from jose Al Tuove that he wants Alex Bregman back. I mean, just this last week at this time, we were inside Minute Made Park for FanFest and jose A L. Two Vay speaking with orders, saying, yeah, I'll move to the left field if he's back, because I want that guy back here that badly. Like I'm willing to move off of second base if that means that we have him in the lineup. And I mean you've heard all of the countless examples of how great of a teammate he is both position players and even pitchers too. I mean, he's the guy whenever there's a meeting at the mound, he's the one that's the most vocal. And you know, ever since Carlos Correa was here, it seemed like somebody needed to pick up that void that was left when he went up to Minnesota. And Bregman is a guy that absolutely carried that Mantle and Hunter Brown, I mean giving him direct credit for last year's resurgence and turnaround mid season that he had to be one of the better pitchers in all of baseball. That Alex Bregman was the guy that told him, Hey, run that two seam run that sinker in on right handed hitters. You do that with your electric fastball, you're gonna start getting outs, and you're gonna start finding the zone and you're gonna start missing barrels. And that's exactly what Hunter Brown was able to do. And he became a real bright spot for you in twenty twenty four, and you're hoping he can carry that over into twenty five. And then if you were listening to Jeremy Pania on with Sean Salisbury and Brian Lima, and he talked about how you know Bregman is such a baseball lifer. At two o'clock in the morning, he'll feel his phone vibrating, see that it's a.
Speaker 3: FaceTime.
Speaker 5: Then I would probably imagine that Jeremy Pania has him as Breggy in his phone, So I'm sure that probably you know he's got that you know maybe the picture if he's got it on his iPhone, pops up there and he swipes it to open up the FaceTime call and it's Bregman telling them, Hey, this is how these guys are going to attack you tomorrow, Like you need to be able to look for this pitch and if you get it here in this count then that's where you need to try to be able to attack the picture in that situation. So all of those things, I mean, you know, again the countless examples of what Alex Bregman brings to the field, and then also too in the clubhouse. So he's definitely somebody that has a lot of people, you know in Dana rounds Ears saying hey, Dana, like, let's make this happen.
Speaker 3: Let's bring this guy back. He belongs here.
Speaker 5: He's an Astro, and you want to be able to try to see it through. And of course, if he did sign a six year deal with the Astros, that probably would be towards the back end of his career where I think you could probably make the announcement and say he's an Astro for life. So we'll see if indeed that is the case when it's all said and done, The Texans are looking for a new offensive coordinator and Ross Tucker CBS Sports and west Wood One.
Speaker 3: He joined us earlier this week on the A team.
Speaker 5: He had some interesting thoughts about the Texans vacancy on the coaching staff and also too about the offensive line as a whole.
Speaker 3: We will hear.
Speaker 5: From Ross who joined us on the A team on a Thursday, so we'll have that for you here on the other side as we continue to roll along here again from Cedar Creek Cafe, corner of West twentieth and beal here in the heights.
Speaker 3: Come on out, check us out.
Speaker 5: We'll be here until noon and then the fun with the six annual Gumbo Cookoff gonna get going at one o'clock. As we'll continue to roll along here on at Space City Saturday on You're Home with the Astros and the Rockets.
Speaker 3: Sports Talk seven.
Speaker 1: Ninety Welcome back to Space City Saturday Fine Sports Talk Saturday ninety.
Speaker 5: There we go and Matthews here live from Cedar Creek Cafe, Zydecoe setting the mood sixth annual Gumbo Cookoff happening out here at Cedar Creek Cafe again at the corner of West twentieth and beal swing on through the drinks. I mean, you know, I've told you about the brunch too that they have here at Cedar Creek Cafe. It's elite, it's fantastic, and I already see people enjoying some of that brunch out here. I mean, even Saul look like a runners group of people. I mean, I know we just had the Houston Marathon, but still people wanting to get their miles in this morning. Melvin Brown, I know you're a big guy that likes to throw on the jogging shoes and get out there on the road and get some of your miles in. So people burning off the calories this morning and then getting in here and saying, hey, let's put some of those calories back on, and this is a good place to be able to do that with some great food, great drink, and of course, later on this afternoon, starting at one o'clock, great Gumbo, the Great Gumbo Cookoff happening out here at Cedar Creek Cafe. We did have a caller who brought up a good point and wanted to shout out the Koogs and Texas tech Red Raiders taking on each other a little bit later on today over at Fertida Center. Of course you're going to have that call on the u of H radio network over on KPRC nine fifty as the Coogs. They are rolling, man, they are playing some really good basketball. Of course, the Thriller in Lawrence, Kansas last week against the Jayhawks as they were able to take down KU.
Speaker 3: That was fun.
Speaker 5: And before we get to Ross Tucker here, I mean, I do want to be able to talk about that a little bit since we didn't have a chance to talk about it because the show had happened before that game.
Speaker 3: But what a wild ending.
Speaker 5: I mean where I was watching the game, twenty eight point three seconds left to go in the game and the Kougs are down by six there in overtime, and the place I was at we paid our tab and I told Megan, my fiance, I was like, I was like, let's go.
Speaker 3: It's it's done.
Speaker 5: And we had to make a stop on our way home and we make the stop and I see on my Apple car play my mom had texted me, so make the stop. Open up my phone see what the text is and it was, oh my goodness, and I'm like what. So then I opened up an app to get the score. And I saw there in the second overtime and the Kugs are up by five at that point, and I'm like, the hell just happened? And of course later able to go watch the highlights and see that the Kougs get the quick three pointer and then the inbound for KU the steal, the scoop over to the open man to shoot the three and make the three and then send them to the second ot, and I think at that point it was completely momentum on U of HS side, and they pretty much dominated there in that second overtime. So Kelvin Sampson and the crew doing a great job. A little bit of a sluggish start out of the gate, as you lose at Toyota Center to Auburn, then you lose a couple of games out there in Vegas around Thanksgiving time to Alabama and San Diego State. But ever since that San Diego State game, this team has looked almost unbeatable, and that's exactly what they've been. So again, five o'clock today, Koog's and Red Raiders over on KPRC nine at fifty. I was gonna do Ross Tucker right here. We'll actually do that on the other side, and I do want to before we, you know, close up shop here today, share some thoughts on the Texans OC opening because I think that probably a lot of you have similar thoughts to what I have. Maybe you're a little bit different. That's the that's the beauty of sports radio. So if you feel different so or even if you agree, doesn't matter. I don't have to have everybody that agrees with me. I'm good with that.
Speaker 3: I'm a grown I'm a grown boy. I can handle it.
Speaker 5: If you think that I'm off on my assessment of the situation, please some one three, two, one two five seven ninet.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I got no problem with it. I got no gripe with you.
Speaker 5: But anyway, the Texans trying to figure out who is going to replace Bobby Slowik and also Chris Strausser as well. I mean, it sounds like that they're pretty full speed ahead at the moment of trying to replace slow x opening and after that, I'm assuming that once they have their OC hired, that coach will be consulted pretty heavily on Okay, you know, who do you think fits your scheme from a blocking perspective on the offensive line, And that's when they'll replace Chris Strausser there, so we'll see if that's the case. But I mean the names are coming in a plenty. I mean, I don't have the Adam Wexler spreadsheet in front of me, but we can go through some of those possibilities, and it does sound like chip Kelly is out.
Speaker 3: I mean, at least, you.
Speaker 5: Know, the Texans were not the only ones who were connected to possibly being interested in him. But as we've found out with Bill Belichick in the college game, recruiting season is kind of winding down before they hit the dead period, and chip Kelly was out on the road recruiting and doing that. So you know, I also wonder if maybe with Ohio State losing Jim Knowles to Penn State, if they want to be able to keep him around and try to run it back for another season. As you know, they lose Will Howard and mechag Buca as well on the offensive end, two really good running backs, and Trevion Henderson and quin Shawn Judkins. So having chip Kelly around with Jeremiah Smith and Carnell Carnell Tate and just a really good offensive group. And they feel pretty good about Julian saying too, the quarterback that's going to be replacing Will Howard this year. So it sounds like Chip Kelly is gonna want to stay up there in Columbus and try to make a run at a repeat with Ryan Day and the Cruise. So we'll see if they're able to do that. But we'll get in some of the Texans. Oh see conversation. We'll do that in earnest next because I know I promised Ross Tucker right here, we just ran out of time. We'll have Ross Tucker on the other side, as he joined us a couple of days ago on the A team. If you missed that visit, you can also catch it on our free, new and improved iHeartRadio app for free. Can't say that enough, So that's where you can check that out. Seven one three two one two five seven ninety is the number to get in on the phone lines once again. That's seven one three two one two five seven nine zero. And as promised, we'll hear from Ross Tucker next as we continue to roll along here until noon on Space City Saturday. From Cedar Creek Cafe, I'm Dan Matthews here on your home of the Astros and the Rockets Sports Talk seven ninety.
Speaker 1: This is Space City Saturday on Sports Talk seven ninety.
Speaker 5: Space City set Dan Matthews here with you. Yeah, got the accordion going. Hear the spoons on the washboard right there. That's in play, all of those things. And you know it's also too before we get to Ross Tucker here in a second, looking around and seeing that they've got the crawfish flags up.
Speaker 3: I gave this psa out last night. Fight the urge when it comes to the mudbugs right now, fight the urge.
Speaker 8: Now.
Speaker 5: I know that the crop this year, all the experts out there, and I saw there was a professor that's an expert on crawfish population, a professor at LSU throwing out that the recent freeze or people were wondering, oh man, what's that going to do to the crawfish this year? And he said, yeah, it wasn't enough. They were burrowed down on the ground. They were good.
Speaker 3: We've had enough rain this year that we're gonna have a really, really good crops.
Speaker 5: So that's to look forward to. But I brought this up last night. Melbourn could back me up on this. This is Gumbo's season at this point, we're still we're still in winter time, crawfish season, boil season, all those different types of things.
Speaker 3: March April, early May, that's when that gets going.
Speaker 5: So again, you know, wait the twenty eight days now and then once we get to March in that time, then start cracking them open, start pouring on the cayenne pepper, do all that kind of stuff and get.
Speaker 3: It going for crawfish season.
Speaker 5: So it's one throw out that quick little PSA is again we're here at Cedar Creek Cafe one o'clock. We're gonna get going with the six and annual Gumbo Cookoff as they're getting set up.
Speaker 3: Out there right now.
Speaker 5: So looking forward to getting going with that a little bit later on as promised. Though a couple of days ago, we had a chance to catch up with Ross Tucker, CBS Sports and also Westwood One as he joined us as part of my front page story dot com.
Speaker 3: As he'll tell you about that at the end.
Speaker 5: You're looking for a Valentine's Anniversary idea, any of those things, listening to Ross for that, but a great conversation that he had with Ac and WEX, So let's enjoy that right now.
Speaker 9: As promised, Lear, we are joined by our good Buddy Ross Tucker, It's Adam Wesler, It's Adam Clanton here on a Wednesday edition of The A Team. And you know, ross this time of year, this lull that comes between the Championship weekend and the Super Bowl, some people look on it as man, this is just such a long, two week, unnecessary period and then got the ramp up next week. But here in Houston we have been We've gotten a gift bestowed upon us. We are in search of an offensive coordinator that will be able to make CJ. Stroud comfortable. As we read in an article earlier today, what do you think about that situation? Is that not one of the most attractive jobs in the NFL that awaits a would be new offensive coordinator for the Texans.
Speaker 8: That's interesting because I would say yes and no. Yes, because they have talent and you have the ability to work with CJ. No in the sense that you know, the guy that just got fired was a guy that was able to get them to win double digit games back to back years, win playoff games, help CJ. Shroud have the best rookie season we've ever seen for a quarterback, at least until Jade and Daniels this year. So I think that's a mixed bag a little bit in that sense, because you know, the expectations for whoever they bring in are really high. I mean, you're gonna see, you know, what happened to the guy before you, and so you know, you better really come in and produce or you'll be gone too. I mean that's the president that they said by moving on from Bobby Flowick.
Speaker 10: That's an interesting way to present it.
Speaker 11: I wouldn't think and you know what, do I know an NFL coach would look that, look at that, and I don't know Bock at that opportunity because of the risk of not success. Isn't that you certainly have more time to succeed with a lesser talented team and then they don't have to win immediately, which this Texans team fired and oc after back to back winning divisions winning a playoff game.
Speaker 10: I totally get that.
Speaker 11: Do you think that would actually be a turn off for a perspective candidate.
Speaker 8: I think it's a factor. Yeah, I think you know, there's pros and cons of every job, and there's certainly a lot of pros as it relates to the Texans job, and you laid them out and we know what they are. But I think if you're an OC with options, I think you gotta consider, Okay, well, why did they fire Bobby Slowick And what do I need to get done to keep my job and not get fired after a year. Whereas there's probably other places you can go where the expectations are to high and you'd have a little bit more time to try to build something. You know that's not easy. Ways to just come in and be a quick fix, you know. I mean, you're going to be teaching Stroud a new offense, something that he hasn't done before, and so it better worked because if it doesn't work, DJ Stroud is not going anywhere, You're going somewhere. So I think that the next coordinator could very easily be one and done if they don't take a step forward on that side of the ball. I mean, that's the only reason why they fired Slowik is because they didn't feel like they were productive enough on that side of the ball. You know, maybe he needs a scapegoat for Stroud taking a step back.
Speaker 4: I don't know.
Speaker 8: I kind of understood and thought that they would move on from the offensive line coach. I did not think that they would move on from slowick. But they did, so now you better get somebody better, right, I mean, that's that's that's the only reason why you do something like this.
Speaker 11: I'm curious from your vantage point. You're in the booth all season long, college or post side. You do a lot of these games. We hear from a lot of the analysts, and not very often are they offensive linemen like yourself. How did you see what was going wrong with the offense that you think is fixable and what did you see upfront that may need to be fixed through a talent acquisition.
Speaker 8: Yeah, so that that to me is really interesting. I think clearly the guys they were rotating through at left guard were not good enough, right, I mean, I think those guys all struggled. The guys they were putting it left guard, it seemed like that, you know, Tita Toward probably did it the best when they put him in, but the guy before him, Kendrick Green and Kenyan Green and Juice Scrubs. You know, those guys really struggled when they were in one on one situations.
Speaker 4: But I don't know.
Speaker 8: I also look at like Lermie Tunsel, Okay, I mean to guy seventeen, you know, I mean, I think he had seventeen penalties, so many false starts. I guess I look at it like this. I know, if it's a false start that the down doesn't count. But what would we think of a left tackle that gave up twelve sacks. I mean, they're losing five yards and they're not losing the down, but you're still losing five yards. I think when your best players lack that attention to detail, it kind of rubs off on the rest of the group. They clearly had a bunch of mental errors and they were not a disciplined, well coached group.
Speaker 4: They just weren't see.
Speaker 9: I can't and I agree with everything you just said, and I of the two of us, I'm way harder on Laramie Tonsel for that.
Speaker 4: Exactly.
Speaker 11: There's two guys in here, Ross, and one of us is thinking right now, and it's not me, it's him, He's saying one of us. Ross is talking about what I've been saying all year about.
Speaker 9: But the thing is the second part that you talked about, the attention to detail, and mainly the last thing you said, which is that that team and specifically that position group did not look and you use the word that I always use discipline. Doesn't that like shock you when you consider who the head coach of this team is, because I never would think that any part of a Demico Ryans led team would be considered undisciplined.
Speaker 10: And yet I one hundred percent agree with you.
Speaker 8: Yeah, Dimigo can only do so much, right. I mean, he's the head coach and he's calling the defense. He has to have a coordinator that he gives autonomy to on the other side of the ball, and it's his show. It's his showing you in the side of the ball, and you have to delegate at some point, and you have to hire better people, and in particular offensive line. You know, that's really where they thought the issue was. Dimico recognized it, and that's why they're making the change that they're making. You know, they realized it was not good enough up front, in particular on the offensive side of the ball.
Speaker 9: Talking to Russ Tucker here on a Sports Talk seven ninety Space City Home Network, and so, okay, my next question would be in that vein, talk me out of Chip Kelly, because he's at the top of my list.
Speaker 10: I don't know how you feel about him.
Speaker 9: I don't know how much experience you have or interaction you have with him, would he be at the top of your list? And if not, you know, give me some names you think would go well, not just here in Houston, but was specifically with CJ. Stroud and assuming they're going to address the offensive line we just talked about.
Speaker 8: Yeah, the Chip Kelly ones interesting. I think there'd be some positives there, But I don't know. There were a bunch of games this year when Ohio State didn't score that many points, and I thought that, I mean, they have two running backs that are like top fifty picks, they have the best receiver in college football, they have another receiver is going to be a first round pick.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I don't know.
Speaker 8: I wasn't like blown away by what I saw from Chip Kelly this year. I thought they had the best player, you know, in terms of other candidate, I really don't know. I really haven't gone you guys have to throw names at me. I haven't really gone through and looked at who's out there, who's not out there. I thought Alex Van Pelt did a pre darn good job with you know, Drake May as a rookie with the Patriots up there in New England. I thought Van Pelt, you know, really brought him along. Well, former NFL quarterback, so he've got that background. He knows what it's like for those guys. But again, I think you have to you have to tell me some other names that are even out there. I haven't really thought about it that much.
Speaker 11: Is an interesting question that it certainly will be answered here in Houston and elsewhere where they're looking for ocs with a front page story. Well a front page story, my front page story dot com. As a matter of facts, one of the reasons why you're here Ross, we talked to you about this product before, and I call it that as we approach the super Bowl, well five days after the super Bowl it's Valentine's I think that's a little bit too late then to be thinking about a very unique gift that you can offer for Valentine's Day.
Speaker 8: You know, it's by far the best Valentine's Day gift I've ever seen.
Speaker 4: It really is.
Speaker 8: I mean to talk to a writer for ten minutes about how awesome your wife is or is s'gniving another, they write this incredible story. It looks like it's on the cover of the newspaper. It's framed beautiful pictures of you, and I looks at it on the cover of the Houston Chronicle. It's awesome to be able to say, Honey, I want to do something special for you, so I had a story written about you. That just sounds awesome. Then she reads the quotes about how I never thank her enough. Well, a little thing she does for me and the kids. I'm just telling you, guys, they cry almost every time, which is awesome and happy tears, by the way, and it's hanging up in the house forever. It's at the gift that keeps on giving. My front page story dot com. My front page story dot com.
Speaker 10: Ross Tucker is the gift that keeps on giving.
Speaker 9: We always appreciate the time you give us and catching up with you. Good conversation, and we'll have to do it again soon. Thanks so much, Ross.
Speaker 8: That was great you guys.
Speaker 3: All right, So there you go.
Speaker 5: Ross Tucker joining us earlier this week on the A Team. Go check it out if you missed any of that on the free and new and improved iHeart Radio app.
Speaker 3: That is where you can.
Speaker 5: Find that discussion. All right, coming up next, some of the things that Ross just talked about. I do want to react to on the other side. But when it comes to the Texans OC opening, this is the one thing that I think needs to be answered about finding the right guy. We'll discuss that as we open up the eleven o'clock hour here from Cedar Creek Cafe right here West twentieth Street at the corner of West twentieth and Beale here in the heights. Come on out join us as we'll be on with you for another hour and then one o'clock we're gonna get going for the sixth annual Gumbo Cookoff from out here. Dan Matthews here with you on your home of the Astros and the Rockets.
Speaker 3: Sports Talk seven ninety.
Speaker 1: Welcome board, Welcome to another Space City Saturday on Sports Talk seven ninety Dad Matthews Live and local h town breakdown of the world that matters to you, the Houston sports world.
Speaker 3: All these great Houston fans here. We love you all.
Speaker 4: So finish up on that to do list.
Speaker 1: Flute up the cooler, because you can't drink in talk sports all day if you don't start. Now bear me the eight. This is Space City Saturday.
Speaker 4: It's insane. Here's seven nineties Dad Matthews.
Speaker 5: And I can't think of a better open to an hour than what you just heard right there, because I mean you heard the beers.
Speaker 3: Being put on the ice. Well, here's the good news.
Speaker 5: When you come out here to Cedar Creek Cafe, you don't have to worry about lugging around coolers or anything like that.
Speaker 3: The coolers are here.
Speaker 5: They're all here, So just walk up to the bar, order you a nice cold beverage and be able to enjoy this just picture perfect day. It's amazing out here as I sit here on at the patio here at Cedar Creek Cafe, And in a couple of hours we're gonna get going with the sixth annual Gumbo cook Off. And I can't tell you, I mean, I can't tell you enough how good it smells out here right now.
Speaker 3: I mean, I'm smelling the cayenne pepper.
Speaker 5: I'm smelling everything that's going into the gumbo that's being cooked up out here. And I mean, you know, there's many different ways to enjoy your gumbo too. I mean there's chicken and sausage you can have that you can go with seafood variety. I mean, when it comes to seafood for me, tripping crab that suffices enough. I'm a thick grew guy myself. I like it to be a little thicker and be able to, you know, have it really stick to your bones whenever you enjoy some gumbo. But also too you want to throw it over a bed of rice, you can do that. Some people also too, which I didn't find this out until a few years ago. Potato salad with gumbo is a huge thing, and i'd finally tried it.
Speaker 3: I'm a big potato salad guy.
Speaker 5: I know not everybody is, because I know mustard mayonnaise it kind of weird some people out. But throwing some good potato salad in there and be able to enjoy it that way, it's pretty darn good. So if you never tried it and you're a potato salad fan, I suggest it.
Speaker 3: It'll change your life.
Speaker 5: But anyway, we're gonna be out here for the sixth annual Gumbo Cookoff. I mean, you've been hearing me, you've been hearing other promos for the event. As they're gonna have live music, they're gonna have face painting. Maybe you have a couple of the beverages and you decide you want to try your luck at the Mechanical Bowl. That's gonna be here, that's gonna be there, and of course the gumbo gonna be out here, So come on out join us. And I mean, you have no excuses today. If you're looking for something to do and you want to be able to enjoy some beautiful weather and some good vibes, this is your spot because it's gonna be able to have all of those goals accomplished for you. So we'll be out here today starting one o'clock with the sixth Annual Gumbo Cookoff. So why don't you roll on through the phone number again someone three two one two five seven ninety. Once again, that's Sebon one three two one two five seven nine zero. And you just heard Ross Tucker from Sirius x SEM. That's another, you know, attribution that you can throw to Ross in terms of where the paychecks come from. Does some work with Sirius XM. Does some work with Westwood One. I note that he's been on the call all season with Believe Tom McCarthy, the guy who's the TV play by play voice for the Phillies up there in Philadelphia. But they did some Westwood one games together, and know that he and Kevin Harland.
Speaker 3: We love Kevin Harlan.
Speaker 5: You know that if you listen to the A Team, And of course Kevin has similar feelings about both the Texans and the Rockets. He told us as much before they called the Texans and Chiefs in the divisional round of the AFC playoffs.
Speaker 3: But you know, Ross does a ton of.
Speaker 5: Great things covering the NFL and his analysis is second to nine, so great to be able to talk with him. But you heard what he said about this Texans opening and why he thinks that there needs to be a little bit of a buyer beware tag next to it. And we talked about it a little bit yesterday on the A Team, and I liked Wex's point.
Speaker 3: Yeah, of course there's pressure.
Speaker 5: There's only thirty two of these jobs, so you do need to come in and be able to show.
Speaker 3: You know what you're doing.
Speaker 5: You do need to produce, and that's what the Texans are looking for out of their next offensive coordinator.
Speaker 3: Higher here's where I go with.
Speaker 5: It is that you fired Bobby Slowick, a guy who I think the fears of CJ. Stroud's rookie season were realized last year. We thought that the way the offense looked last year, that was the way it was going to look in CJ's rookie season. But his rookie season not the case, and Bobby Slowick able to kind of catch the NFL flat footed a little bit. And over the off season as teams started to prepare and started to scheme against the Texans, there were defensive coordinators out there that's okay, well, if they do this, this is how we responded them. And seemingly SLOWK was not able to make those adjustments in season against some of the twists and stunts they were doing upfront against them, and how they were playing CJ. Stroud coverage wise, and trying to be able to block up the run game, and you know, sometimes you were able to have this offense run full, you know, full throttle and be able to be incredibly productive and racking up the yards, racking up the points, doing all those things. And then there were also, I mean, what about month and a half or so that the Texans went without scoring an offensive touchdown in the second half, and seemingly SLOWK was a guy that didn't have the answers.
Speaker 3: I mean, I said it numerous times that.
Speaker 5: I, for one, am usually annoyed by the word salad, and we seemingly got that every single week from Bobby slowik And I told you what my translation was, he doesn't know the answer, like that's that's what the word salad is. He's giving you two and a half minutes of an answer because he doesn't know what the answer is. If you know what the answer is, I understand that. You know, game plan wise, you can't give away all the pearls, but at least give us something to say, Okay, this.
Speaker 3: Guy's got it. He can figure it out. And it sounds like I.
Speaker 5: You know, I and many of us here in the media market here were not the only ones that felt that way.
Speaker 3: Clearly, Demiko Ryans felt that way because I talked about it last night that you would have to believe that this was brought up behind closed doors with Slow numerous times.
Speaker 5: Hey man, make these adjustments. Let's let's start doing some check with me. Let's start doing a little bit more motion. Let's do some things that kind of, you know, switch things up from the same run of the mill game that you've been running. And I'm sure Slow probably smiled and nodded and said okay, yeah, absolutely, and probably did throw some wrinkles in there, but they weren't enough to be able to turn this thing around and have this offense be the way it was supposed to be. And I get that there were injuries all of those different types of things, but clearly it got to a point that Demiko Ryance.
Speaker 3: He lived up to his word when he met with us the Monday after the season where he.
Speaker 5: Said he was going to take the week to do some evaluating of his coaching staff before making and announcing any moves, and he lived up to it. It took him less than a week because by Friday we found out that Bobby Slowik was out.
Speaker 3: We found out even before that that Chris Strausser was out.
Speaker 5: So now the vacancy needs to be filled and the Texans have now interviewed eight different candidates for the job. Because Aaron Wilson, of course right here he's our insider on Sports Talk seven ninety but also does great work with KPRC two throwing out that Green Bay Packers OC Adam Stenovich is the next coach that is going to be interviewed, as he was expected to interview with Tamiko Ryans to fill the offensive coordinator position. And while you know you're kind of looking at it and saying, okay, lateral move, would he necessarily want to do that? Well, it's the opposite end of the spectrum here in terms of Tamiko Ryans. Even though you have Matt Burke on staff and he is your defensive coordinator, he's not the one calling plays. It's the same deal with Stenovich up there in Green Bay with Matt Lafloor. Matt Lafloor is the guy with the play sheet. Matt will Floor is the guy who is calling plays. Stenovich does not have that part of his resume. But he had also interviewed with the Seahawks, who decided to go with Gary Kubiak's son, Clint Kubiak, to fill that job. And he had also interviewed with the Green excuse me, with the Chicago Bears, who of course just hired Ben Johnson, and it would have been probably a similar situation there. I gotta believe that Johnson is going to be calling the plays this year up in Chicago with Caleb Williams. But Senovich, like I said, the eighth different candidate that has interviewed with the job as Jerad Johnson, an internal candidate. He has also talked with Damiko Ryans in the brass Texans senior offensive assistant Bill Laser, who a lot of people have talked about him in how instrumental he's been in terms of putting together the offensive game plans every single week, and he has experience in the past with both the Cincinnati Bengals and the Miami Dolphins. Syrah Q Socie and running backs coach Jeff Nixon, La Rams tight ends coach and passing game coordinator Nick Cayley, and uh Tampa Bay Buccaneers quarterbacks coach Dat Lewis, who obviously did a really good job with Baker Mayfield and with Liam.
Speaker 3: Cohen this past season.
Speaker 5: And one that also intrigues me is former Baytown lead product and current Washington Commander's assistant head coach and offensive passing game coordinator Brian Johnson. Johnson has been in oc before with the Philadelphia Eagles did some really good things in the passing game, sounds like they took a little bit of a step back in the run game, and that's why Nick Sirianni decided to move on from him last year and he caught on with dan Quinn and staff.
Speaker 3: But where I go with all of this and we.
Speaker 5: Can continue this on the other side too as well, And if you want to weigh in do so seven one three, two one two five seven ninety is this is not a job for on the job training. You just fired the guy that you gave that too, Like Bobby Slowick. Was that guy coming into last season while young coach, you know, coaching background in terms of his family ties with his dad, and a guy that you know clearly was worthy of getting a shot to finally be an offensive play caller, and you gave him that chance.
Speaker 3: And last year he was fantastic.
Speaker 5: This year he took a step back and he didn't have enough of the answers to be able to make you believe that this thing was going to improve in twenty twenty five, so you decided to move on from him. So my question to Demiko Ryans, and my thought on this is why would you necessarily go down that road again? Would you not want to go ahead and say, hey, this thing is plug and play. We've got the franchise quarterback, you've got the top receiver and Nico Collins, You've got a really good running back locked up for a couple more years in Joe Mixon. Probably not gonna have Tank Dell this year, but we'll see what happens with Stefan Diggs and any other skill position improvements that you make to this offense this year that I feel like you would want to have somebody that you know has tangible results in calling plays and putting together game plans and feeling like that every single week you go into a game. We like our guy. We like what he can bring in terms of us being able to get a win. Because I mean, if you thought that this year's schedule was tough, next year is going to be equally as tough because most of the first place teams you saw the beauty of you winning a division and being in first place. Guess what you get to play other division winners.
Speaker 3: And that's what the.
Speaker 5: Texans are going to have again in twenty five and twenty six, And the same challenges are going to be there. And while it is going to be different in terms of what you're running, I mean, you've got to be able to have that cohesion with CJ. Stroud in the offense, and that sounds like at least according to reports. That's another reason why Bobby Slowik is not here anymore, because it just seemed like it was he and the quarterback just could not see eye to eye, and finally it got to a point where Demiko Ryans just said, my quarterback went out on that, So we're not getting rid of him, We're gonna get rid of you, and that's exactly what they did. So it's not to say that the relationship has to be smooth sailing at all times.
Speaker 3: Because OC and quarterback is the.
Speaker 5: Same working relationship that any office working relationship is. You're going to have times where there is contention, there is disagreement, there is some confrontation there, and that happens because, I mean, you both want the same things, you just maybe have a different view on how to accomplish those things. So it's not to say that that's going to go out the window. But I do maintain that I want somebody that you can look at with tangible results, that has called plays before and maybe has been looking for their next opportunity. Because I don't't have any doubts that Bobby Slowick is and can be a good offensive coordinator in this league, and I think that probably with him losing this job, he's doing some evaluation.
Speaker 3: Of, all right, what did I do wrong?
Speaker 5: What can I do if I get this opportunity again, be better at my second time around as opposed to the lessons I didn't learn the first time. And I think that he will have that, and I think that you could probably have that in.
Speaker 3: A laser or Brian Johnson. Those would be the two guys that I'd look at and be the most excited about in terms of this OC opening. I mean any of the other guys.
Speaker 5: I don't know anything about Nick Kayley other than he coaches with a really good coach and they have a good offense there in LA with Sean McVay. Okay, great that Lewis as I mentioned, I mean, you know kind of it's the same thing. If you're going to hire him, then why would you not hire Jerrod Johnson to fill that spot. So all those things I think can be discussed, and we'll do that on the other side as give you a chance to weigh in as well if you want to do so. Seon one three, two, one two five seven ninety. Once again, that's seven one three, two, one two five seven nine Zeros will continue the Texans offensive coordinator Vacan see here on the other side, and if you want to weigh in, you can do so as we'll continue here from a Cedar Creek Cafe. Matthews here with you Space City Saturday until noon right here on your home for your home teams.
Speaker 3: Sports Talk seven ninety.
Speaker 1: Space City Saturday continues my Sports Talk seven ninety.
Speaker 5: Sports Talk seven ninety Dan Matthews here live from Cedar Creek Cafe at the corner of the.
Speaker 3: Last twentieth and Beadle Street in the Heights.
Speaker 5: The weather, it is amazing where we're sitting right now here on the patio at Cedar Creek Cafe.
Speaker 3: And in about an hour and a half.
Speaker 5: We're gonna get going here for the sixty annual Gumbo Cookoff. And a good point brought up by Rob Logan of our sales staff of throwing this out to me, of encouraging you to go ahead and head on over to Cedar Creek Cafes the Creek Group's website and buy your tickets.
Speaker 3: Ahead of time.
Speaker 5: I mean, because you know how these festivals go, you know these cookoffs go. You get to the tent where you got to buy your wristband and be able to go in that the lines are long, well skip the lines. I mean, that's a way that you can do it of being able to go ahead and buy your tickets ahead of time, and then you know, so as soon as you get here you can just show them your phone and be able to hop on in and grab you some bowls of gumbo and be able to enjoy the afternoon here. So it's gonna be a beautiful day. It's amazing. I mean where I sit right now, got some trees with some shade cover over me, so enjoying the great weather, the sun shining out here.
Speaker 3: So it's an amazing day.
Speaker 5: So swing on through and come join us for some great time, some good gumbo and just some great vibes against someone. Three two one, two five seven ninety is the number to get in on the phone line if you want to do that. And Ray in fifth Ward wants to do exactly that.
Speaker 3: He joins us here on Space City Saturday. Ray, what's going on?
Speaker 4: Not too much? How are you man?
Speaker 3: Awesome man, it's beautiful day. Can't beat it.
Speaker 7: I agree with that because I don't like what we've had.
Speaker 3: No, I am not a cold weather guy. I definitely.
Speaker 5: You know, when people complean about, oh, it's never cold enough here, I'm like, okay, fine, go live in Chicago. Go live somewhere else where you can enjoy that. I live here because I want to enjoy warm weather almost year round.
Speaker 8: You got that right.
Speaker 7: I'll tell you what. If I went and livey, I'd be somewhere hot every day.
Speaker 3: That's it.
Speaker 5: Man shorts and T shirts, that's my vibe. What do you got for us?
Speaker 7: Hey, hey, I don't listen to you guys every day. But I haven't heard anyone talk about the offensive coordinator play call of that Kansas City had been made my home so good.
Speaker 3: Eric B Enemy?
Speaker 7: Okay, why aren't we talking about him down here?
Speaker 8: Now?
Speaker 3: That's a great question.
Speaker 5: And you know I had somebody that threw out his name on Twitter ray appreciate the call.
Speaker 3: I mean, I would not be opposed to Eric B. Enemy.
Speaker 5: I think think that he's somebody to your point that even though Andy Reid was the primary play caller, I mean, he was still a guy on game days that you know. I heard that used against the enemy of Oh he doesn't call plays, he doesn't call plays.
Speaker 3: There are plenty of footage.
Speaker 5: I've seen him speaking into his headset, reading off of a play sheet, So clearly he had enough input and enough trust from Andy Reid to be counted on on that offense. And just this last year with UCLA, I thought, with a team that was incredibly talent deficient, he did really good work there. So I'm with you Ray and Joe who threw that out on Twitter. I mean, I think if you're the Texans, bring him in for a look. And a guy that did outstanding stuff in the run game too during his time in Kansas City with Kareem Hunt, Isaiah Pacheco and being able to have that part of the Kansas City offense. I mean, you know, what's the one thing that I think Demiico Ryans and defensive coaches usually want. They want ball control. They want you to be able to control the line of scrimmage, i e. They want you to run the football. And if that's something you want to be able to accomplish this next season with Joe Mixon, Damian Pierce, Daria Goombalal, whoever you're going to be counting on in that part of your offense, then you could definitely do a lot worse. So I'm with you, Ray and Joe. I'm kind of perplexed. While we haven't heard Eric Bienemy's name, I know that there was a report out earlier this week that some teams are kicking the tires on Andy R excuse me, on Eric b Enemy. I think Jordan Schultz was the one who had that. I definitely think that he is worth a mention and worth a look if you are the Texans, no doubt about it. And we'll see if maybe he is candidate number nine ten, whatever it is. As I talked with Aaron Wilson about it's a little bit off the air earlier this week.
Speaker 3: And I agree.
Speaker 5: I mean, it sounds like they are going to take their time with this and.
Speaker 3: There is really no rush.
Speaker 5: I mean maybe even there's a coach or two that you want to talk with part of the Philadelphia or even the Kansas City staff of being able to give them an opportunity at the job. And it sounds like the Texans are kind of exhausting all of their options at that. So we'll see if indeed that is another route they go in terms of vetting out candidates and seeing who they want to fill that vacancy and then after that, and I think that probably you want to be able to see who you bring on as the offensive line coach too as well. So all of those things in play. Let's continue the conversation. Let's head up to the Woodlands. Buck wants to join in here on Sports Talk seven ninety Buck, what's going on?
Speaker 2: Well, I just wanted to call in Rebut the guy trying to bring up the name of Eric Enemy, he's got to be kidding, because I remember the show What's his Name in the afternoon At one point we're saying, Oh, Eric Viennemy's going to do the next head coach. He was a disaster as soon as he left Kansas City. He's had three more jobs, he's been fired. He's been unbelieve aievably unsuccessful. His only success in Kansas City was because Reid was called in the plays on game day, and since that time, the Enemy has been has been absolutely reported to be hated by the players underneath him because of his attitude and a WAYE engaged as players. So I hope no one, including yourself, wants to endorse Eric B.
Speaker 8: Enemy.
Speaker 3: All Right, I appreciate the call. Buck.
Speaker 5: As far as his work after Kansas City, he was with the Commanders for a season, and then when Dan Quinn came aboard, he decided to head down to the college level and coach on at UCLA.
Speaker 3: I mean, look again, I talked.
Speaker 5: About it last segment, Buck, and you know, it's a working relationship, just like any working relationship out there. I mean, pro sports is no different than our everyday lives.
Speaker 3: There is going to be contention.
Speaker 5: There is going to be times where you know, maybe there is a report of hey, you know the quarterback in the OC are butting heads. Well, that happens. I mean, look at the Philadelphia Eagles.
Speaker 3: For example.
Speaker 5: It's not a quarterback in OC situation, but they had a little bit of a controversy with Jalen Hurts and AJ Brown this year, and seemingly they've been able to work through that despite AJ Brown reading self help books on the sidelines because he's not getting the football. But obviously it worked out well enough for them to be able to win the NFC and get.
Speaker 3: To the Super Bowl.
Speaker 5: So it's not to say that it's going to be a smooth relationship all the way through. But the enemy is somebody that has been considered for jobs for a reason.
Speaker 3: He's a good coach.
Speaker 5: I mean, I think that despite what you think, Buck, there's a reason why he continues to get these opportunities because there's not a ton of good coaches out there, So when you find one, try to bring him aboard and try to have them lead your offense.
Speaker 3: And yeah, I've heard that.
Speaker 5: I've heard that his bedside manner with players is one that it's just pretty much matter of fact, and some guys can handle that and some guys can't.
Speaker 3: I mean, CJ.
Speaker 5: I guess the book is still kind of out on him, and he handled that type of coaching again. I mean, you know what's the old saying that that coaches will tell you got to be able to treat the individual differently than everyone else. Some guys they can have a boot to the backside, some guys need an arm around the shoulder, any of those different types of things.
Speaker 3: So we'll see.
Speaker 5: I mean, look in an interview doesn't necessarily mean strong consideration.
Speaker 3: An interview is exactly that.
Speaker 5: I mean, you can have somebody that you don't necessarily have high expectations for and they come in and you put them through a discussion, you put them on the white board, you take them through film, study all those different things, and maybe everybody in the room kind of looks around and says.
Speaker 3: Huh, I might have something here this guy. This guy might be on something.
Speaker 5: So I mean, I don't think that you're wrong in at least kicking the tires on him and seeing if he's a fit here. So that's something that I think you could have at your disposal, Morgan. I see you want to get into some Alex Bregman discussion. We'll do that on the other side. As so, we'll get back into a little bit of Astro's discussion. But coming up next to I know that the message necessarily didn't really resonate with some people out there, but this national personality said something that as a whole I gotta say I really agree with, and we'll discuss that. Let you hear from them on the other side. As again, we continue here from Cedar Creek Cafe for the sixth and annual Gumbo Cookoff that's going to be happening starting at one o'clock. As come on out here to Cedar Creek as we are at the corner of West twentieth Street and Beal Street here in the Heights. As so, We'll continue to roll along here on Space City Saturday. Dan Matthews here with you until noon on your Home with the Astros and the Rockets, Sports Talk seven ninety.
Speaker 4: It's Space City Saturday. On Sports Talk seven Nightty.
Speaker 5: We continued to roll along here from Cedar Creek Cafe, Dan Matthews here with you. Chris Gorny dropping in. He's got the bucket of beers going. We're having a good time. We're enjoying ourselves. This idacho music right there, we're feeling it. The vibes are good as the sixty annual Gumbo Cookoff happening out here at Cedar Creek Cafe.
Speaker 3: So mention Melbourne's gonna roll through.
Speaker 5: Connor d McGovern and his lady, they're gonna roll through a little bit later.
Speaker 3: So why don't you join us out here.
Speaker 5: We're gonna be having a good time starting at one o'clock here at Cedar Creek Cafe. Can if you want to get in on the phone lines, you can do so. SEB one three two one two five seven ninety one's gonna SEB one three two one two five seven ninety And look, I've given you.
Speaker 3: The ground rules for the show.
Speaker 5: Numerous times before, as the guy with the double mufflers right there decides he wants to let everybody know he's got quite an exhaust system on his car. But I've told you, look, if we've covered it, it's fair game. So even if we're talking Texans, we're talking rockets, we're talking Astros, it's there. And Morgan wants to weigh in on some Astros, primarily Alex Bregman here on Space City Saturday.
Speaker 3: Morgan, what's up, Hey?
Speaker 12: Dan just written or read a note of article that said Alex Rigman is.
Speaker 4: Going to opt out.
Speaker 7: Whatever he does, he's going to opt out.
Speaker 12: So what's your good feeling, Dan?
Speaker 3: What does all of this mean?
Speaker 12: Does it mean that all of these teams maybe that they've lost their interest. Does it mean it's a possibility he might come back to the Astros? It seems to I get to feel in that it seems that things maybe with him and his manager didn't go as planned.
Speaker 3: What's your good.
Speaker 8: Feeling about all of that? Dan?
Speaker 12: And I'll hang up and listen.
Speaker 5: Hey appreciate the call, Morgan. I think there's a variance of factors here when it comes to Bregmant. I mean I'll start with the last part. I definitely think he and Scott Boris woefully overestimated what the market value was going to be for him out there, and he's finding that out. I mean, if the market value was what Bregman and his representation hoped, well, then he'd be somewhere, whether it's with the Astros or somewhere else at this point, because I mean there's a lot of different teams that have supposedly been checking in on him. I mean, you know, you've heard Alex Cora be very vocal about, yeah, we'd like to have that guy here. I mean, even Brian Cashman with the Yankees even saying as much of talking about, you know, his winning attitude, everything that he's got in terms of opt outs in the deal, it seems like at this stage of the game, I mean, because I think that the precedent that we have for that is Carlos Korea.
Speaker 3: I mean, Correa was a guy.
Speaker 5: I mean, we were in Florida already for spring training when we got the news that Korea had signed with the Minnesota Twins. I mean, I still remember James Klick talking with reporters out there at West Palm Beach being asked about Korea, if Korea was the possibility to even be a late signing for the Astros, and he decided to take a deal that had an opt out in his contract, and maybe that's the sticking point, would say, I don't know a Toronto or a Detroit or somebody else. You know, it sounds like, at least from what we've heard from reports with the Tigers, is that's more on Bregman, that he's not too keen on playing in that spacious Kamerica Park. That's he wants to be at a park where he could see his offensive numbers kind of get back to that twenty eighteen, twenty nineteen level that he was hitting the baseball at that really ever since then, he's not been able to do that. So I think that's all part of it, you know, just when it comes to Bregman, I mean, I think that first and foremost, if there's one thing we know about him, he wants to win, and he wants to be in a place where he can win. And I think that a lot of us here believe if he's back with the Astros, then they're definitely in position to be able to do that. If he goes somewhere, and I'll say the Chicago Cubs. I mean, they're trying to get back to being a winning organization. They've gone through a rebuild of sorts themselves, and I mean, you know, now on this side, after adding players like Dansby Swanson and you know, clearly making the trade for Kyle Tucker, they feel like they can make a strong run at the National League Central this year. And you had a guy like Alex Bregman that definitely could help you. I mean, I think the Cubs are kind of in the same situation the Astros are right now feeling like one more guy can really put them in position to be a really good team this year. And I think that that's another part of it.
Speaker 3: It sounds like with Bregman.
Speaker 5: I mean, you know, when it comes to the Astros, they look at it as, yeah, we want him back, but we want him back for the right price. We're not going to mortgage the future in terms of your spending power going forward. I mean, I know that next year you have Montero off the books, you have Josea Brahu's deal off the books, so that kind of frees you up financially a little bit.
Speaker 3: But this year.
Speaker 5: I mean, you're up against it with a competitive balance tax. I mean a lot of people believing that the r of Ryan Presley automatically opens up the door for a deal to be made with Alex Bregman. We'll see if indeed that is the case. But I mean, you know, it's also a question of really right now with the Astros, it's coming down to does Jim Crane want to do this? And we'll see if indeed he does want to do it, because that's really what it comes down to. Dana Brown can present any type of offer to not only Bregmant, but then also to Jim Crane of saying, hey, you comfortable with us doing this, and he gives them the thumbs up to say go ahead and do it.
Speaker 3: Then okay, go ahead and make the deal.
Speaker 5: But if not, then I mean you need to go, you know, try to figure out what is another way that you can go with improving this roster. And I think all of those things are ahead of the Astros and trying to be able to make this into the most competitive ball club they can in twenty twenty five and beyond too.
Speaker 3: I mean, I think we like winning around here.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I think I see a show of hands and people wearing Astros hats who say, yeah, no, I definitely like postseason baseball. I definitely like making it to the Alcs and to the World Series. Well, the Astros are trying to continue that here in twenty five and beyond, so we'll see if they're able to do that again. The National Voice who had a message that a lot of people did not agree with. But also though I think that his messaging is something that he hit right on the head. We'll discuss that on the other side also too. Err on me, I was supposed to bring in Ari Alexander right here and I got sidetracks, So going to try to see if we can get Ari here for the final segment of the show. As we'll continue here from Cedar Creek Cafe again at the corner of West twentieth Street and Beal Street here in the Heights. Sixth Annual Gumbo Cookoff coming your way here at one o'clock, so we'll be having fun and again can't tell you enough. Go ahead and buy your tickets on line and beat the lines before you come on in and have some fun this afternoon, some great drinks, some great gumbo, live music, Anikal Bowl.
Speaker 3: You can't beat it.
Speaker 5: Beautiful day outside again, same deal, So come on out here and join us, says, So we'll continue along here on Space City Saturday. Dan Matthews here with you for about another twenty minutes on your home of the Astros and the Rockets, Sports Talk seven ninety.
Speaker 1: Exactly Space City Saturday, on Sports Talk seven nineteen, Sports.
Speaker 5: Talk seven ninety, Dan Matthews here live Cedar Creek Cafe, West twentieth Street, Field Street at the corner of those two streets here in the Heights. We've been talking Astros, Alex Bregman, everything else of the sort. Is the off season coming to a close, and a man who's been dialed in all off season from KPRC two he is Ari Alexander.
Speaker 3: He joins us now on the phone lines. Ari, appreciate the time, buddy, Even with all.
Speaker 5: The insider work you're doing now, I gotta believe you still get a chance to get out and enjoy this nice day, don't you.
Speaker 13: Yeah, it's gonna be a lot of basketball today. I'm gonna head to TSU here later at two o'clock, and then we got the Houston Cougars taking on.
Speaker 4: Texas ticket five.
Speaker 3: There you go.
Speaker 5: Man's always working, whether it's the Astros, Texans, Rockets, TSU, U of H, he is on the job. Let's just start with just the broad view right at the beginning. Where do things stand with the Astros and Alex Bregman.
Speaker 13: I think they stand similar as to what they were earlier this week. I'm just not sure there's a lot of movement.
Speaker 4: I've been texting.
Speaker 13: Sources related to that, and everything I'm hearing back is this really no update. The Astros are sort of dug into their position of what they want to offer. Alex Bregman, Alex Bregman and Scott Boris are dug into their position of this is how much annual value we believe we deserve. And then you have another number of teams circling in different ways. I just don't believe the Cubs or the Red Sox are going to be there in terms of a long term deal, but they're going to be a fallback option.
Speaker 4: More so for Bregman.
Speaker 13: I think the Red Sox maybe longer than the cub would go, but both those teams like him. And then you have the Blue Jays and the Tigers that are I think a little bit more motivated to give him a longer term deal. We know that the Tigers have a long term offer out there for Bregman as well. I know some of the other National reporters have said that the Blue Jays also have a long term offer for him. And then for Bregman, you have to decide what matters most to you. Do you want to stay home with the Astros and try to make something work. This is the most comfortable place for him. It's a place where everyone knows him and loves him. But he just doesn't feel like that offer is high enough. Or do you want to chase you know, the little bit of extra money, go to Detroit maybe. We don't know what the number is that their offer is. Go to Toronto maybe? Or do you want to go and play for what is considered to be an iconic franchise like the Red Sox or Cubs. And so he's got options. None of them are really perfect for him, just the way that they're approaching the free agent here. But at some point, Spring training is coming in a couple of weeks. Pitchers and catchers are reporting in two weeks, and he's a guy that is he's a planner, He's an analytical person from what I know about him, and you got to think it's going to get to a point where the lack of direction in terms of the specifics of what a team, whatever team it is he plays for, wants him to work on, is going to drive him crazy because he's a person that likes specific direction. He is an insane person when it comes to baseball and just the minute little details of everything he does, and without that direction, I think he's going to get driven crazy a little bit.
Speaker 5: Again, Aria, Alexander KPRC two join us here on Space City Saturday and to some of the things you just talked about right there. I mean, it does sound like there's a lot of different factors at play. It sounds like that Bregmant and boris really kind of overshot what teams truly thought of them, both years and money wise. But from the Astros perspective, do you kind of feel like Dana Brown's position of how he's answering these questions is, Hey, look.
Speaker 3: We gave him an offer. We've made our run.
Speaker 5: If it's good enough for him, then sure, but if it's not, then we've got a ball club to build.
Speaker 13: Yeah, they've made the moves to be able to put themselves in that position and have that leverage. You have a starting first baseman who's been one of the best first basemen in the league over the past few years, both offensively and defensively.
Speaker 4: You have a starting third.
Speaker 13: Baseman who has I think a wide range of outcomes, but everyone believes that he's going to do well in this ballpark. He's had good years and they specifically like him. Whatever it is that astro scouting has seen from esoch Parentis the past few years is a very strong positive and so they're very comfortable with him at third base or moving him to second. For Bregman, you have Josel Tuba that'll mix between second and left field because the defensive metrics at second have been kind of a nightmare these past couple of years, especially last year. And then really your only weak spot in the lineup is the outfield, and there are some guys still left on the board.
Speaker 4: There could maybe be some trade opportunities there and you.
Speaker 13: Could make a move to get a guy, and maybe not necessarily with minor league pieces because they don't have a whole lot to move, but something, you know, find a way to get creative, or you just hope you come into spring training and a guy does something, a Jacob Melton comes out, you know, and has a big spring training and is able to make a move. Or you still have Zach Dezenzo, who's one of their better prospects, and he had a great winner in Puerto Rico and he's a big guy and can probably play a sort of adequate left for a little bit to try to keep.
Speaker 4: Jordan Alvarez off of his legs. So you have some options.
Speaker 13: You're trying to you know, Salvage Taylor Tremmeel who was a first round.
Speaker 4: Pick for a reason nine years ago.
Speaker 13: And hope that he's something and if he's not, then it was, you know, a cheap deal anyway. And so there are a number of options, and none of them are super sexy, even the ones that are left on free.
Speaker 4: Agenc Is like alex Ford Dugo, David faralta Tommy fan, like Randall Gritschek.
Speaker 13: Nothing is super sexy, but you feel like you're in an okay spot, especially given how the American League looks. Nobody is that scary. The Yankees aren't that scary. The Rangers. Wide range of outcomes Seattle, great rotation, no hitters, and so you think you have a chance to make a run in the at least the al side of the playoffs, and then whatever happens when you run into the four or five really good teams in the NL is whatever happens.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean, you know, And in terms of the left field spot, I mean, I think that's the focus that a lot of people have because you know, early on the offseason, when Dana Brown kind of laid out the scenarios of the outfield, people were like, whoo, man, that does not sound like that as a very potent offensive outfield. But I think that you didn't mention him when you were talking. I know that Dana Brown has been very high on Jacob Milton. I mean, jobs can be one in spring training. I mean, do you do you kind of look at it ari as we're about to head out to West Palm Beach that he goes out there. He has a pretty good spring that opening day, we could very easily see Jacob Milton out in left field.
Speaker 13: I think he's got a chance, but I would put him sort of on the Joey Loperfido track where I think they're gonna need to see more at the Triple A level.
Speaker 4: Melton was okay in Triple A.
Speaker 13: He didn't crush last year in Triple A, and he's gonna have a chance to make a move. And look what happened with Flopper Fido last year. He was awesome in spring training. He was both on the field and off the field. Kind of the media darling, right. Everyone likes slow Perfido because he's super friendly and charming, and he cooks and he's this interesting guy. But he still had to prove himself at the minor league level for a month while Joseah Brady was languishing it first, and you know, all these things were happening, and Jeff McCormick, who had had this unbelievable twenty twenty three, was really struggling in twenty four. I think that they're going to hope that they can get nearly a league average bat out of Jake Myers. Whatever fixes Chas McCormick can make can bring him back to the above league average bat that he was for three years. And by the way, a lot of people like to rag on Chas McCormick. He has played four major league seasons. He had one really bad year and the other three seasons he was an above major league level hitter and an above major league level defender, which makes him an above average player seventy five percent of the years that he's been a major league player. I don't think you should give up on Chas McCormick. And then you have whatever it is you have out of Zach Dezenzo, and then you have Jacob Melton there, and you know with Dubon obviously as the utility guy.
Speaker 4: So there are a number of options. Even if they don't.
Speaker 13: I know fans are clamoring for go, get Alex Radugo.
Speaker 4: I'm not sure that.
Speaker 13: Alex Verdugo really fixes your problem as much as the internal options do. Alex Bregman obviously fixes a big piece of the lineup and a big piece of the clubhouse leadership and all these things that Alex Bregman is really really good at. But the smaller signing I don't think does.
Speaker 4: As much for me.
Speaker 13: And right now, the way that the contracts are calculated, they're under the tax, which leads them a little bit of room to.
Speaker 4: Maybe make a move at the deadline or make a move in season. And I think if Jim Crane needs to go over the tax to pay.
Speaker 13: Like last year they went significantly over and the total tax bill for Jim Crane was six point four million dollars, So they go over a little bit and his tax bills an extra million.
Speaker 4: I think that he'd be comfortable with doing that.
Speaker 5: Can't put a price tag on winning, and obviously Jim Crane, despite what some people think, has definitely tried to not do that. Ari Alexander again, KPRC two, join us here on a Space City Saturday.
Speaker 3: Ari, appreciate the time.
Speaker 5: What ten o'clock tonight you anchoring or is this a chance production to night?
Speaker 4: This is a chance production tonight.
Speaker 13: But come say hi if you've seen me at the Houston Cougar game or the Texas Southern Game or anywhere.
Speaker 3: Else there you go.
Speaker 5: And I mean, look, as Ari just said right there, I know from experience you see him, say at the Texas Bowl and you want to talk a little bit about Stros baseball with them, He'll indulge you, He'll talk it with you. So take him up on that. Ari, you're the best, buddy. Appreciate your time today. All right, Thanks Dan, all right, see you buddy. Ari Alexander again, KPRC two. You can find him on Twitter and it is Ari Alexander, but the L in Alexander a number one, so you can find him right there. He's got that blue check mark and he does a great job with Randy McAvoy and the crew over there at KPRC two. Just a couple more minutes left here on Space City Saturday again, we are live here at Cedar Creek Cafe for the sixth annual Gumbo Cookoff. As smell it boiling over there. We'll be enjoying some good gumbo in no time. Gets started here at one o'clock again at the corner of West twentieth Street and Beale here in the Heights, So swing on through. It's a picture perfect day to enjoy a patio. And I've said it numerous times. I think this is the best patio in the city of Houston. And as Ari just told you too, a lot of good college basketball going to get fired up here. Some already underway. I see Florida, Tennessee underway. See that Pitt Wake Forest. I know five o'clock you're going to get the Koog's wearing those h Town blue jerseys against Texas Tech at five o'clock and you can listen to it on KPRC nine to fifty. So that's where you can check that out.
Speaker 3: All right, I want to close this out today with a piece of audio, so I know how a lot of people feel about the talking head shows. You know, first take what is it? Get Up?
Speaker 5: Some of those other shows. I don't know what they have on FS one. I think it's what I called the breakfast ball, I think, But you get my point here.
Speaker 3: I've said it before. Those shows are usually the shallow end of the pool. I mean, you know, you go there, Oh, you know, can the Cowboys win the Super Bowl this year? Is Lebron still an elite player?
Speaker 5: And that word right there that I just threw out, it's going to come up here in this audio. So yesterday on Get Up, former Giants defensive star Chris Canty, of course so does radio work with ESPN here talking about Joe Burrow and whether or not he is an elite quarterback and Chris Canty with some interesting thoughts on the Bengals star quarterback of whether.
Speaker 3: Or not he fits into that category. Take a listen, when you.
Speaker 14: Look at what Patrick Mahomes has done, when you look at what Lamar Jackson has done.
Speaker 4: When you look at Josh Allen's body.
Speaker 14: Of work, those guys have done more in this league in terms of being able to validate their abilities as a quarterback. When it comes to being able to acknowledge the level of player that you are. We got a couple of ways we measured that in the league. It's Super Bowl rings, it's mbps, and it's all pros.
Speaker 4: Joe Burrow ain't got none of those.
Speaker 14: Joe Burrow's claim to fame is once upon a time four years ago beating Matt Patrick Mahomes in a playoff game on his way to losing the Super Bowl. I'm sorry, that doesn't give you elite status.
Speaker 3: All right.
Speaker 5: So I know that a lot of people were drawn off sides by what he said in terms of you got to be kidd me. You don't think that Joe Burrow fits into that category, and you can leave that up for interpretation if you think he is or he is not. I agree with Kanty with what he says, because I threw this out last night on Twitter and some of you pushed back, some of you agreed. We use the words elite and goat greatest of all time. We use those way too much, because let's just start with the second one. I throughout, Oh he's the goat, Oh he's the goat. How many do we have at this point? Like, seriously, how many do we have?
Speaker 3: The word? The acronym itself means there's only one, because if you are the quote unquote goat the greatest of all time, then you're it. You're the one.
Speaker 5: I mean, in the NBA, it's up for interpretation. Some people think the goat is lebron some people think it's Michael Jordan. People will throw out other names, but I mean that's where I think we've kind of gone with that. And elite at quarterback kind of reminds me of a few years ago. I can't remember who it was on this Saints, but they were talking with them about facing a future Hall of Famer in Ben Roethlisberger. And he stops for a second and he goes, is that true? It was Cam Jordan? That was who it was. And he started to go through some of the names and he's like, look, you gotta be like, you know, the top in the league to be considered that. Do you necessarily think he's better than Aaron Rodgers? And some of the other guys out there, I don't believe so, but anyway, I agree with Chris Canty on that we got to stop going that word around quite a bit, because look, not everybody fits into that category. I was gonna do it for us here from Cedar Creek Cafe, but the fund does not stop.
Speaker 3: One o'clock.
Speaker 5: We're gonna get going with a six tony gumbo cookoff coming out. Join us, live music, great gumbo, games, prizes, mechanical bulls, great drinks, all those things gonna be there. From Melvin Brown. I'm Dan Matthews. Thanks for joining us here on at Space City Saturday. Talk to y'all next week.