Speaker 1: Multiple people in my family clean my father, are veterans.
Speaker 2: Troops that have been to war and now they're.
Speaker 3: Back and think and be grateful for their service.
Speaker 4: Sacrifice, love for their country, just unselfishness, all that they do for us.
Speaker 1: There are some people in this country who take extraordinary steps to provide for the freedom and security. We forget that those people exist. We know them as the Army, Navy, Air Force, Marines, and Coast Guard. They call themselves soldiers, seals, rangers, airmen, sailors, devil dogs, and so much more. We call them fathers, brothers, sons and husbands, mothers, daughters, sisters and wives. We call them friend and neighbor. These veterans answered the call. Now we answer Theirs are the best our country has to offer, and we love them. Today, we honor them and we serve them. David Malsby is your host, and he welcomes you to this community of veterans. As together we are building the road to.
Speaker 3: Hope and glad to have you along. On a Sunday afternoon, those of you listening through the KPRC to nine to five OO on the AM dial here in Houston, Texas, thank you for joining us. Those of you listening through podcasts. We truly appreciate you not only listening, but hit that subscribe button. It'll automatically download each and every week when the new show drops, and truly appreciate it when you share. You never know who might come into contact with our organization that needs our services, which all are free, just like the show. Wherever you listen to podcasts, just look for Road to Hope Radio and we appreciate you listening and sharing. A big thank you to our sponsors allow us a little bit of time spend with you each into every week. Are great friends at A Cory Aco Ri A Corey Diamond and Design down, I'm Friendswood Billion, Connie Stagner going to take great care of you when it's time to get that something special for the someone special in your life. A Corey Diamond and Design two eight one four eight two forty seven fifty five and well, we all have those moments oops moments oopsteam dot comoopsteam dot com for all those moments that yes it's the dog's fault two a one a two two zero five six one oopsteam dot com and Republic Grand Ranch dot Com. Beautiful place, the right kind of people surrounding you people who share your values, a lot of veterans, a lot of first responders, law enforcement living in that community. And again it's just absolutely beautiful. So when you're ready to buy that piece of property, maybe you're not going to build for a little while, but you want to secure the great piece of land a republic Grand ranch dot com. All right, on the show with us today. We've got a couple of combat vets with us. One currently on our staff and been here for a while've been on the show a few times. Yes, sir, Justin reintroduce yourself to the world, because it's been a minute now. My name is Justin.
Speaker 2: I'm a Marine Corps combat veteran of Kosovo. I currently work at Camp Hope. It's been three years now, this month is when I started. But I am the legal resident liaison.
Speaker 3: So to John Doe driving around six' ten right, now He i'm not really sure what that. Means so SO i handle the national liaise with the different probations, courts district attorneys to make sure the veterans Of Camp hope are doing what they're supposed to be doing and where they are supposed to. Be and it's pretty.
Speaker 2: Amazing we get a lot of small, victories but sometimes guys are facing some cases and they get it an opportunity to come To Camp hope and change their life and instead of going to jail and just being thrown in the, slammer the judges and district attorneys see the change in them and they reduce their.
Speaker 3: Sentence, yeah and you, know it's one of those things we can't quote, UNQUOTE i guess advertise or market because you can't guarantee what a judge is going to do in any given, court in any given. Case but we have seen some guys come through not expecting to get their record cleaned, up only to find out once they've completed the, program the judge did it completely wiped it. UP i, mean it's just been incredible to get to see some of those. Moments it's.
Speaker 2: Amazing it's amazing these, guys AND i believe every judge and every lawyer they go into the profession because they want to help. People and it definitely doesn't take away what some of us have, done but it may explain it a little. Bit going around with UNDIAGNOSED ptsd and no, treatment you get the, anger maybe the self medication so it doesn't take it, away but it kind of explains. It and then we have an opportunity to come To Camp hope and change our lives and put that behind. Us and LIKE i said, that the, testimonies it comes from the guy's. Heart it's not what they, say it's their. Actions and whenever they go back to their courts and they speak to the, judge and the same judge that's trying to help this guy and he actually sees that change in that, person it's amazing to see. It like you, said it doesn't always work. OUT i don't sell, it but if the guy's willing to, change willing to do the, work and it's, evident, man it's.
Speaker 3: Evident. Yeah one of the things always better, choices better. Results, yes, sir make better, choices things are going to go a little better for. You in, fact here In, houston this is mid two, Thousand somewhere around two thousand and six or, Seven Judge March March Mark carter began the First Felony Veterans court here In. Houston it was one of the, FIRST i think maybe like a second in the, nation and it took him while because he had to work through the state legislature and get all that set. Up but he worked really really hard at it because he was seeing guys coming home and getting into trouble pretty. Quickly there was no way for him through his court system at the time to help, them and he was seeing it like they just need a little bit of. Help but he got that set, up and we've had a lot of guys come through our. Program we now have Two veterans courts here In. Houston we've had a lot of guys come into our program through one of. Those so truly to appreciate those judges who are able to do. That we don't have a lot of time, here but just real, quick we Got, chris if you want to introduce yourself and when we come back from the, break we'll kind of get into your. Story.
Speaker 4: Yep, CHRIS Us army four two or Combat vet did one FOR oif and one and three back to back to back rotations over and our acts starting to know three with the initial, push.
Speaker 3: Got the frequent flyer. Card it's pretty, good just so much, fun So i'll just keep doing.
Speaker 4: It, yeah we didn't have a.
Speaker 3: Choice, YEAH i, KNOW i. Know for for you, know those kind of stories just they hurt my heart just hearing them like that's that's. Insane, anyway we're going to get Into chris's story a little bit after a quick. Break we'll be back with More road To Hope radio in just a, moment and welcome Back road To. Hope. Ray i'm glad to have you along as we get into this. Story. One we're not a war story, show so don't but still we'll touch on just a little bit Of chris's time four, tours you, know and all that that comes with. That so we will get into that just a little, bit but not. Much but between that and talking about the reintegration and coming home and some of those. Issues we do know and understand that these can be triggering to some as they hear some of these, stories and we want to make sure everybody has our. Number this is Our Combat Trauma Crisis support. Line eight seven seven seven one seven seventy eight seventy. Three give that to you. Again there's a lot of sevens in. There eight seven seven seven one seven seventy eight seventy. Three now here's what you need to know and understand about. That it has answered twenty four to seven three sixty five by a combat. VET i want you to know and understand that a combat vet is going to answer the. Phone eight seven seven seven one seven seventy eight seventy. Three it's not a psych it's not someone just reading answers off the. Screen it's someone who's been, there done, that come through our, program and received a good amount of additional training on suicide prevention and other such. Things so they are qualified to answer the. Phone but you just need to know it's somebody that truly does. Understand how many times do you think you've had what we commonly call the bad phone around our? Place?
Speaker 2: OH i think it's about every, month once a, month and anywhere between two and thirteen fifteen, calls and, man it's it's it's the nicest. Thing once you tell the guy, like, hey, MAN i hear. You i'm a, marine and you can just hear it in their, Voice you're, like, oh thank. Goodness you know they don't have to explain, anything they can just.
Speaker 4: Talk.
Speaker 3: Yeah it means the. World so just eight seven seven seven one seven seventy eight seventy. Three even if you're not of, that please put that in your. Phone you never know who you might come across that could use that number and you'd be kicking yourself because you, know oh what was that number? Again so go ahead and put on the phone eight seven seven seven one seven seventy eight seventy. Three before we get back Into chris's, story just real, quick a lot of things go wrong at THE Ptsd foundation Of america And Camp. Hope we encourage you to check out the WEBSITE ptsdusa dot, org but also our social. Media look. This people ask me all the time how CAN i? Help and of course every nonprofit in the world needs. Money we get something from the electric company every single, month surprising to me justin it's not a thank you note for taking care of our. Bets it's a very large. Bill and you, know if you ever run, business you know and understand there's a lot of expense in doing what we. Do but everyone can follow us on social Media, Facebook, instagram x formerly know, This, twitter all those HANDLES PTSD. Usa just Think Post Traumatic Express DISORDER PTSD. Usa if you'll follow, us reshare READ i don't know that is it? REACTS i mean there's to say retweet what reacts just sounds. Weird sharing the stories On instagram it's, free it costs you, nothing just hit the share button and it's a great way to share our. Story and again it costs. Nothing, Also i've always failed to mention, this but also our YouTube channel which is ALSO PTSD, usa and of course this Show road To Hope radio wherever you listen to, Podcasts road To Hope radio and all that's. Free Next, No, No may the, third we're just a couple of weeks away one of those fun. Events there's a lot of different we call a third party. Fundraiser other folks do in fundraisers that benefit. Us the, big the largest crawfish boil in the world happened a few years ago right here In. Houston few friends of. Ours they Had Guinness book Of World records out to verify. It fifty two THOUSAND i believe it was fifty two thousand. POUNDS i don't know how many semi trailers load it. Was it was, crazy fifty two thousand pounds of crawfish that they boiled in a six hour. Period here's the cool. Thing you can come and there's a six hour time. Frame It's may the, third and we'll have all this if you look for us On facebook for the show road To Hope radio On. Facebook we'll post the. Link but you can buy the wristbands right. Now it's thirty bucks if you wait and buy it. THERE i think it's thirty. Five but here's the. Deal thirty. Bucks you've got a six hour time period where you can eat as much crawfish as you can possibly put. Down and there's going to BE i think somewhere around sixty different cook, teams so you can check every single one of them out.
Speaker 4: If you want.
Speaker 3: TO i can't eat that much food, anymore SO i always kind of. Wait let the guys go stroll, around, comebacks all, right which ones were the, best and Then i'll go to one of. Those, yeah six hours all you can. Eat plus there's there's live, music there's A they've got to. Now they do a complete like fair for. Children there's all kinds of rides and all kinds of fun things for the family. Do but you get a to, Eat you get your crawfish fixed taken care of that. Day all you can eat thirty bucks is the deal of the. Day plus they raise a lot of money for THE Ptsd foundation Of. America, again if you just look For road To Hope radio On, facebook we'll have a link there and all the information how you can be a part of That may the Third. Saturday all, Right, Chris so we were talking a little bit ago about the legal. Issues you were kind of nodding your head the part of your. Story, yes, Okay so let's let's back up for a. Minute originally From, oklahoma, right originally From, dallas but From. Dallas then you were In oklahoma From, dallas and you went to high school in The dallas. Area, correct all? Right what was life like For chris when he was in high? School?
Speaker 4: DIFFERENCE i was always the, yeah not. BUBBLY i kind of was, sheltered saying to myself quite a, bit and then ended up graduating in ninety eight and going to buy my.
Speaker 3: Business, okay anything siding star football.
Speaker 4: PLAYERS i played, football but it wasn't no, star SO i gave gave that up AND i went to the baseball. Field. OKAY i ended up playing that for seven years where down In dallas for who? For with The soto at, first and then back with my community, college which Was Mountain.
Speaker 3: View uh Mountain. View, No, No so what position were you? PLAYING i normally played the, field, okay? Outfield?
Speaker 4: Correct?
Speaker 3: Okay all? Right got a gun for an arm had, yeah, yes, yeah well this is all past tense for, yeah all, right so? Baseball uh and in, college when did You when did you decide to go to the.
Speaker 4: Army after my second semester. Started WHILE i was in, COLLEGE i had found out that you're allowed to walk out of school in, college SO i continued to walk out quite. Often so my father gave me an, ultimatum AND i chose the higher, route which was joined The United States.
Speaker 3: Army what year was.
Speaker 4: This this was back in the end of ninety, eight beginning in ninety, nine so.
Speaker 3: Pre nine to, eleven, Correct so you join the, army you, know there's always an, opportunity but we weren't really nothing hot going, on at least at the. Time. Correct then nine to eleven? Happens what happens to?
Speaker 4: YOU i remember that day watching it happen on THE, tv and we were immediately put on. Lockdown we were, told if you're, married call your, spouses have him bring your. Bags if you're singling in the, barracks get, escorted pack your bags and everyone get. Back and then we were sitting on the.
Speaker 3: Tarmac by the, way why did you join the army versus any other.
Speaker 4: Brand, well my dad was In vietnam in The. NAVY i wasn't so much of a fan of The Air. Force army just kind of had WHAT i needed and you, KNOW i like the recruiter quite a bit so and it didn't do me.
Speaker 3: Wrong what was what was your? JOB i was.
Speaker 4: A nineteen kilo tank commander and patuons are on THE m ONE a one.
Speaker 3: Abrams all, right so your first deployment was.
Speaker 4: That was For operation and During freedom in two thousand and, one and that was over In.
Speaker 3: Kuwait so right after you guys were.
Speaker 4: Rolling, yeah we actually hadn't met with the Commands Army major of The, Army Jack. Tilly he had came out there and ripped up our orders to go across the border at that. Time instead be looking for may have three and sure, enough may HAVE o. Three we were sitting right there going across the.
Speaker 3: Border goodness stirs up lots of, memories uh for me just watching on the, news but for you guys having to lude through. It So i've heard, yeah goodness all right again the phone. Number you are a vetting, crisis, NO a veteran in crisis eight seven seven seven one seven seventy eight seventy. Three, again a combat that's going to answer the. PHONE ptsdusa dot org for all of, information not only for our interim housing, program can we Call Camp, hope but also for our support groups both for veterans and for family. Members PTSD usa dot.
Speaker 4: Org we'll be right.
Speaker 3: Back all, Right, well welcome you. Back justin AND i had, said The Marine corps veteran staff member At Camp hope's three years you've been on stuff.
Speaker 4: Now, YEAH i graduated three years.
Speaker 3: Ago that's. Awesome this MONTH i love those. Stories, yeah it just hit. Me actually TODAY i was, like, Whoa, YEAH i was getting ready for. Graduation, yeah which that reminds. Me let me find this real QUICK i should have had that on tap, here BUT i saw a date on my. Phone let me find it here real. Quickly MAYBE i won't find. It i'll look for it doing the, break we'll move, on but we'll find. It it's an anniversary day for the show. Anyway so first deployments right after nine to, eleven you're into a right Or kuwait and four? Total? Correct and you said the three In. Afghanistan we're back to back to. Back those those are All, iraq, correct Gotcha, Okay, yeah they were back to.
Speaker 4: Back we actually changed our own name To Operation.
Speaker 3: Extension how long were those three?
Speaker 4: Deployments six months? Piece SO i was over there three oh, four came back in.
Speaker 3: Five, Okay so you were hitting it really hard with those four. Deployments. Correct since you're At Camp, hope obviously THERE'S ptsd involved in there. Somewhere when did you first notice something was? Up maybe you didn't understand what it, was but something's not quite, right or did somebody else have to help you understand? It something wasn't quite.
Speaker 4: Right WHEN i was introduced to, addiction m you, know it's. It had always thought everything was okay and going, through but THEN i kind of noticed my own. REACTIONS i would evaluate myself AND i would know, that like the conduct THAT i was performing or WHAT i was doing was uncharacteristic of. Me so there was something deeper going. On SO i had to chose to get that looked at on several different, aspects AND i landed At camp.
Speaker 3: Op, now okay and time. Again when you got out of the army twenty ten, ten you but your last apponment was back five? Correct, okay but you were still in until? Ten? Correct all, Right so when did you not when did the addiction become apparent to, YOU.
Speaker 4: I would say about ten years ago.
Speaker 3: And at, all so another five years ish, correct after you got out of the.
Speaker 4: Army i'm sure it was there prior TO i just didn't pick up on.
Speaker 3: It. Yeah so, yeah in addition to the, addiction at least the story REASON i here all the, time you, know it begins with it's the coping mechanism that you're. Using, absolutely, so whether it's hypervigilance or the night terrors or, whatever what were some of those things you were, experiencing some of the things we now call symptoms OF.
Speaker 4: Ptsd THAT'S i, mean you're pretty much at the nail on the. HEAD i JUST i drink too. Whenever you, know my addiction of alcohol and my, OTHERS i did it to, escape you. KNOW i just didn't want to think of the activity in front of me or what was going. On SO i would partake and whatever my addiction was at that time and just to forget about. It but THEN i learned quickly that when you wake, up it's still.
Speaker 1: There.
Speaker 3: Yeah JUST i think it's one of the things people have to understand Because i've had we've now been out Of. Afghanistan what a little over two. Years i've had people ask, me, well we're not a war, anymore which is. Okay still some people in PLACES i don't want to be right now doing THINGS i don't want to, do but call what everyone call. It But i've had people ask, well the needs should be kind of going, away, right because we're not like oh, no, no, no, yeah, no it doesn't work that. Way, no for the guys that and gals that went, there went, overseas for the country that they're we're still fighting that war very much.
Speaker 2: So and you may not see. It it's not. Publicized oh the war is, over but man It Like chris was, saying it took him five years to figure it, OUT i think it took me about ten fifteen years until those thoughts and feelings started coming. OUT i could only self medicate for so long before these emotions came, out AND i couldn't hide them.
Speaker 3: Anymore. Yeah so the point is simply that the symptoms OF ptsd do not necessarily show up. Immediately it can take a. WHILE i remember one of the First Korean war vets THAT i spoke to on behalf of The. Foundation his story. Was you, know he had gone To, korea, fought came, home went to, work you, know got, married raised his, kids lived his, life didn't have any, issues retired and within a month he was at the. Viagoing what in the world diagnosed him WITH ptsd fifty something years, Later so that's that's not. Unusual we've had a lot of vets come in From. Vietnam vets come into our program at fifty plus years of self, medicating which is heartbreaking to, Me like you've been in your addiction for ten years about, Roughly, yeah WHICH i, mean that's. AWFUL i hate. IT i hate it that you had to go through that to get To Camp. HOPE i Hated but WHEN i think of these guys who've been doing that for fifty plus, Years oh, my how do? You how do you exist through all? That?
Speaker 2: Yeah they built them differently back. Then those, guys, man they weren't taught and same with. Us you, KNOW i wasn't really. Taught my dad's A vietnam. Veteran he didn't teach us. Emotion nothing against my, dad but you know that wasn't something they talk. About you get a totally different, world then.
Speaker 3: You suck it.
Speaker 2: Up you go to, work you provide for your, family and AND i think there's something for. Me it was a lot of pride to you, Know i'm A. MARINE i have to admit THAT i HAD. Ptsd it really held a lot of power over. Me UNTIL i was able to ADMIT i do HAVE. PTSD i kind of took that power back from, it and that that's kind of that's that's WHAT i tell. Guys but now there's no shame in HAVING. PTSD i found strength with other veterans that HAVE, ptsd AND i found that through Camp.
Speaker 4: O to add, that my father is, also LIKE i, said A vietnam. Vet he was in The, navy and due to THE va and the recent LIKE ptsd the sayings on, it he was just not diagnosed and granted his disability For Vietnam. Era so that's that's a long long. Time.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Yeah well we talked about this two weeks ago in The Vietnam Veteran Vietnam War Veterans. Day it was just it was beyond a. Disgrace does not do it justice what we did not do for Our vietnam guys when they came, home which leads to, truly what's a true diagnosis of SECONDARY. PTSD a lot of kids Of vietnam vet's unfortunately experienced that sure and same as with their, parents Their VIETNAM vet. Parents there was no no, diagnosis there was no, acknowledgment there was no. Anything so there was you, know where do you? Go what do you? Do did you go to THE va for?
Speaker 4: Help WHENEVER i was In, MONTANA i? Did, okay prior TO i went To how long ago ish was? THAT i was back there about two years ago In? Montana so BUT i did a couple visits out there to get. Help prior to, THAT i did some just at local facilities In. Dallas nothing was ever really, identified or SHOULD i.
Speaker 3: Say they didn't diagnose.
Speaker 4: Anything, no not, Necessarily, no not until they didn't get to the bottom of it until my counselor at that, time he really peeled back the layers and got to the underlying issue so it could be addressed.
Speaker 3: Properly how long ago was?
Speaker 4: This that was about three years ago.
Speaker 3: OF va or PRIVATE? Va, okay what was the response once they kind of figured out here's what's.
Speaker 4: HAPPENING i went through a world of testing WHERE i was diagnosed with SEVERE, ptsd SEVERE. Tbi you know the whole laundry.
Speaker 3: LIST i was going to ask if TV i was part of, that because, yes it's not everybody's, story but it's not.
Speaker 4: Unusual, YEAH i do HAVE tbi and tonightis and tonights.
Speaker 3: Wonderful thank you for your. Service, AGAIN i shouldn't laugh at, it JUST i just keep hearing all these, diagnoses like and then people stand out in the street and want to go to war over, everything, like did you guys just stop?
Speaker 4: This i'm too, young according to, them BUT i don't understand how you can put an age on a. Veteran they. Didn't they did a full hit replacement on. Me but again they were so hesitant BECAUSE i was too.
Speaker 3: Young was this an? Ied, yeah it.
Speaker 4: Was an incident that happened out, there, Correct.
Speaker 3: Okay all, right.
Speaker 2: All?
Speaker 3: RIGHT a quick reminder eight seven seven seven seven seventy eight seventy, Three AND i Mentioned Camp hope is the interim, program which is Where chris is, currently And justin came to the program as. Well we know and understand not everybody can and not everybody needs to go into a six to nine month. Program we got, it we, understand but many. Do but we do run support groups in several different cities across the. Country we do one, virtually so you can join literally from anywhere and it's absolutely, free and it's the you, know what's spoken in the room stays in the. Room so we have law enforcement first, Responder we've had contractors in, there all dealing with the same issues that we call combat RELATED ptsd all that information of those support groups is on their website ptsdusa dot. Org BUT i have to say one of the things that separates us is we not only have it for the, veteran but we also have it for family and. Friends all that information for those GROUPS ptsd usa dot org will be right back and we welcome you back give. Where if you listened to, podcasts just look For Road Hope. Radio if you'll hit that subscribe, Button we truly do appreciate it and share it with all your friends and, enemies, coworkers, neighbors ex, neighbors. Whoever just share. It you never know who might come in contact with us that needs the services that we, provide and all again at zero cost to our veteran or to their. FAMILY ptsdusa dot. Org, Okay, chris this is the last. Segment we've got a few. Minutes let's just dig into a little. Bit you mentioned the addiction notice becomeingparent about ten years. Ago three years ago is when they kind of diagnose things as we can make SURE i get my numbers. Right that's, Okay so you're self medicating during that. Time and look, again we're not a war, story BUT i mean you said enough to know between four to eployments and with the diagnosis OF tbi. Tonight as you mentioned the hip, placement some things. Happened that stuff comes home with you absolutely didn't just stay. There so you're dealing with, that coping with that through the. Addiction at some point it had to be bad. Enough you had to have gotten to a dark enough place that When Camp hope comes into your radar and you learn about, It i'm always, curious how did you first hear About Camp. Hope what was the first understanding, Of, hey there's a place In, Houston texas that can help.
Speaker 4: You WHENEVER i was In, OKLAHOMA i met a group of friends and they were working With Camp, hope and then they kind of briefly told me what they did and what it was. About and ORIGINALLY i had no plans on going To Camp. Hope, however the time arose to WHERE i had to take full advantage of it AND i could not be.
Speaker 3: Happier court system is part of, That, Okay so we don't need to get into all, that but just it's part of the, story so you hear about it and this becomes an. Option.
Speaker 4: Yeah my last, INCIDENT i GUESS i figured it'd be a good, idea was On september twenty fifth of last year to go ahead and go out drinking and.
Speaker 3: Driving and this was In, oklahoma, Correct.
Speaker 4: AND i rolled my, truck my new, truck and of course got locked, up went to jail dui and started the ball from there to try to get to. Camp hope put the feelers.
Speaker 3: Out that's kind of the wake up. Call, hey this isn't. Normal, yep, Absolutely, Okay so that Was. September when did you arrive at Camp january?
Speaker 4: Sixth?
Speaker 3: Okay were you incarcerated in the in? BETWEEN i, was, Okay so you came to us In? January, correct and you met justin when you first came in day, one because day one's ALWAYS i try to imagine that like from whatever circumstance you're coming, from it's not a good. Circumstance, right you're not Coming we always say you're not coming in on a winning. Streak so something's, happened and it can be a little. Different there's a few different versions of what that, is but it's never.
Speaker 4: GOOD i had to go spend some time at the other hospital prior to coming, back right because my. ADDICTION i was in deep AND i showed up at camp.
Speaker 3: Intoxicated, okay, again not the first time that's happened in the right. Place but you're going to someplace like for, you coming out of, state going to a place that you've heard, about but you don't really know. Anything you don't know, anybody and you've GOT ptsd and trauma not only of, war but what just happened that led you to the point where you needed. Camp. Hope that has to be. Overwhelming walking on day, one that's just do you remember your day?
Speaker 2: One just? So, YEAH i Was my pen was. SHAKING i was so, nervous BUT i was trying to play it. Off, man it was scarier than going to boot. Camp, yeah but you mean you met justin day, one? Correct and what what do you remember from?
Speaker 4: THAT i remember getting approached By justin and he asked me IF i knew Who Community court, was AND i kind of shook my, head dear in the, headlights, look had no clue who it. Was and we kind of found out it was a group or whatnot that wanted to take what take my? Charges and then boy did they ever take my? Charges?
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah our outreach team did a great job contacting the, courts And chris let him, know, HEY i got this, charge and so they contacted the, courts got the correct people in. Line so while he was getting ready to come To Camp, hope they we were in contact with each, other and by the Time chris showed, up he had an offer that if he Graduates Camp, hope that they're gonna dismiss the.
Speaker 4: Charges, absolutely that's.
Speaker 3: Unbelievable that's just that's.
Speaker 2: CRAZY i was, like, Man god works a mysterious. Ways and he's, like who are?
Speaker 4: You what's your?
Speaker 3: NAME i was, like, man he's the dude with the.
Speaker 2: Magic, yeah kind of take take it, easy but when you're, ready let's let's talk about.
Speaker 1: This.
Speaker 4: Yeah it's kind of funny because even at that, POINT i, said do we even know who they? Are you.
Speaker 3: Like to shake their Ind, okay so you've been here for a minute and you're still work pretty early in the. Program what's different today when you wake up in the morning versus let's see if the insider happened In. September let's go back To august last. Year what's the, Difference, hope Explain.
Speaker 4: At that point in my life through the addiction, PROCESS i just wanted to shut myself, down like it was a daily. OCCURRENCE i would shut myself down to the world around, me didn't want to deal with, it didn't want to talk to. People then, again The lord shook my tree when he flicked over my. Truck and NOW i realized That Camp, hope that there are people out. There you, know there's law enforcement, officers and whenever they HEARD i was upside down at this, time but when they heard THAT i was a veteran in, distress their whole attitude. Changed so but coming To Camp hope has just given me a better understanding of What i'm going. Through i'm not, alone that's for, sure and there's definitely a peer support group all around. Me you just got to get out there and you gotta find. Them you got to be in.
Speaker 3: Touch you've got a ways to, go and you're not guessing at least time you've been, here you're not in the kind of the phase where you're really starting to look forward and building the. Plan but what are you looking forward? To AND i don't mean a job or anything, like what are you looking forward to when you are getting that coin in that piece of paper that says you? Finished the reaction from my? Kids how many kids you? GOT i have three, daughters ages roughly.
Speaker 4: Nineteen my metal one is training eighteen today. Actually and, fifthly you, know because the last time they saw, ME i was of course self, medicating and so that's what they. Knew and WHENEVER i was at my last one of my last, centers we were we had to bury one of the soldiers and the first THING i thought of whenever we turned around to walk away was what would my children say and my? Memorial and that try started looking at things completely.
Speaker 3: Different, WELL i am happy for, You thank, YOU i am thrilled to death for your three. Girls keep doing the, work, man just keep doing the.
Speaker 4: Work, absolutely.
Speaker 3: If you'd like to be a, PART i, mean will you hear these stories like how do you not want to be a part of? That and, again it can be, free can be just following us on social media sharing the. Story obviously, donations but there's a thousand volunteer opportunities through an organization for those of you who listen or who live in The houston, area but also in our other. Locations we're doing fundraisers In, Florida South carolina And, Georgia, California San, Antonio. Dallas so there's a lot of, places a lot of events that you can volunteer. At so there's a lot of ways to get involved that you don't have the ability to write a, check but you have some time to. GIVE usa dot org help us make sure that when other men Like chris need a place Like Camp hope that we have the space and we have the people and we have the program in place able to take care of. You have you gone hungry since you've been with, Us no. Way we just had the rodeo come. Through, yeah all kinds of meat at camp right. Now thanks exactly, again the crisis number eight seven seven seven, one seven seventy eight seventy, three all of our social media PTSD, USA PTSD, usa and the WEBSITE ptsdusa dot. Org, well let's thank you so, much justin thanks for what you, do having every single day for our, Guys, chris thanks for what you're doing to rebuild your life and repurpose. It thank you appreciate. It thanks again for joining, us for being with you. Again next week for more Of road To Hope radio