Speaker 1: Dodger Talk is sponsored by LA Care Health Plan, providing affordable healthcare insurance to millions of Angelinos for over twenty five years.
Speaker 2: Welcome to Off Day Dodger Talk.
Speaker 3: David Vase with you until eight o'clock tonight here on AM five to seventy. LA Sports ten games and ten days not stopping us. We got an Off Day Dodger Talk for his show, Off Day Dodger Talk Show for you, and it's a great show. We got a great show for you tonight. Ross Strippling is going to join us at the bottom of the hour. Ross just recently retired. He made that announcement on Instagram last week. So Chicken Strip will join us at the bottom of the hour and coming up in about fifteen minutes.
Speaker 2: Our man Colin Ee, our.
Speaker 3: Studio producer, put together an eighties type montage of the highlights of the Dodgers recently completed ten game road trip, the longest of the year, that saw them go six and four, taking two out of three in Atlanta, two out of three in Miami, and Arizona in a big way. The Dodgers in their two wins in Arizona scored twenty two runs. Of course, the Electric come from behind victory in Game one, beating the Diamondbacks fourteen to eleven, and yesterday an eight to one thumping of the Diamondbacks after Zach Gallen was taken out of the game. Freddie Freeman a big day on Mother's Day, four for four with a home run led the way, and Freddy has been leading the way for the last couple of weeks here. Also on this road trip, we saw the major league debut of Hay Song Kim. He made a huge impact as a base runner. His first appearance as a major league player as a pinch runner, saw his first hit, saw his first RBI, got his first start in center field in Arizona. You know, I feel like after seeing that, by the way, he obviously needs a lot more work and experience out there, and I feel like that's the reason why the Dodgers put him out there. But that's a really big outfeel that Chase field and a really tough place to cut your teeth as a center fielder. So one thing's for sure, Kim made a huge impact as an elite defender and a base runner, and the hittings coming along, it's right where it needs to be and Hayesong Kim is going to make an impact and the Dodgers have some decisions to make here in the near future. When Tommy Edmund and ta Oscar Hernandez return off the IL, who kind of goes to Oklahoma City again? One thing's for sure, whoever comes off the IL first, whether it's Edmund or Taoscar Hernandez, James Outman's going back to Oklahoma City. But what do you do when the next guy comes off the IL? Does Chris Taylor go on the injured list? Because Taylor has been fighting a sore right knee here and there, he plays through it doesn't really complain much, but the reality is Chris Taylor hasn't been really playing a lot. He no doubt is the last man on the bench. And really, if you're gonna have the last guy on the bench be Chris Taylor, doesn't Haysan Kim fit better?
Speaker 2: Now?
Speaker 3: One thing's for sure, whether or not the Dodgers decide to send Kim down now when Edmund and Taoscar Hernandez return, he's not gonna be there for very long because he's gonna be a big impact player for the Dodgers going down the stretch and into the postseason. The Dodgers have not had that dynamic of a weapon off the bench in the probably since Timmy low Castro tried to do it in twenty seventeen. That's and Hayesan Kim is a way better player than tim lo Castro. He could play elite defense on the infield. He's got great base running instincts. There's a difference between a fast runner and a really good base runner, and Kim is both because he's a really smart base runner and he's a really fast runner. So to me, Kim is an invaluable weapon. The Dodgers just have to make a roster decision when both those guys come off the il. Either way, the Dodgers have had a very good start to the season. They're twenty seven and fourteen, and a big reason why is guys like Taoscar Hernandez, Tommy Edmund, Will Smith, Shoheo Tani and even Mooki Betts. I feel like Mooki's one of those guys that goes a little unnoticed whenever, and I feel like you have to put him in that relief pitcher category because when a relief pitcher doesn't pitch well, or blows the save, everybody's at their locker, kind of like Mookie Bets at shortstop. Whenever he makes a bad throw or a bad play, everybody's like, oh, he has to go back to right field. But Mookie Betts has played really solid shortstop. He's still learning the feel of the position, and there's so much more than just fielding and throwing at shortstop, you got to be kind of the main guy up the middle. But when Tommy Edmond's healthy, he's a shortstop. He's a really smart player. He's played the infield his entire career, so he's kind of that guy for Mooki and Muki even acknowledged that when we spoke to him on the last Homestand so, Mookie's played really good shortstop, and you know, obviously he's fighting an uphill battle after being so sick to start the year and losing as much weight as he did. But yesterday's home run, even in garbage time opposite field into the pool area, that was encouraging to see from Mookie Bets. And I heard Eric Caro say this during the broadcast that his swing path was really good yesterday. It's not so much about bat speed for Mooki. The way Eric Caros explained it was his batpath needs to be as perfect as it has been his entire career. So that's a little inside baseball right there. But Mookie Bets certainly has been pretty good. But for me, Freddie Freeman, Taoska Hernandez, will Smith, Tommy Edmund Shoey O'tani have really started to really make an impact early on this season, And when you play one hundred and sixty two games, it's going to be a group of different hitters. You're going to need that the same guys are not going to be hot the whole year. It kind of feels hard to believe that Freddie Freeman won't be hot the rest of the year considering how well he's swinging the bat ever since coming off the il after slipping in the shower with his right ankle that was surgically repaired, and Freddie was on fire. In this last ten game road trip, Freeman hit four seventy five with four home runs sixteen RBIs. He doubled three times and even had a triple his ops on the last road trip thirteen to ninety. He's just on a different level and yesterday four for four on Mother's Day with a home run.
Speaker 2: That was just awesome.
Speaker 3: Considering Freddie lost his mom when he was very young, ten years old. Then that's where his dad and him really dove into baseball, and baseball certainly has uh has been there for Freddie, and Freddie's one of those natural hitters. I know there's a lot of guys out there that are very envious of Freddie Freeman. He could roll out of bed and go four for four like you did yesterday. We had a chance to catch up with Freddie before the third game in Arizona and we talked about where he's at with his swing and also Mother's Day. Freddie swinging the bat really well right now. Everybody focuses on what you're doing swing wise, approach wise, But is what you're doing right now a testament to the work that you put in after your ankle surgery.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean I feel like I'm doing the same thing. I had the same approach, my same routine, and I, like I've been saying the last I feel like I've been fighting a cut swing for the last couple of years, and it's not cutting right now, it's it's what it would have been, would have been looking for for a long time, and everything's going up through the middle. Just like in Miami, I had a couple of low pay I was able to say through them and hit him into the gaps. And if I had my cut swing that I've been trying to fight against and not have, I would have rolled those over. If fouled those offers, swung and miss. So sometimes you're just feeling good. There's no there's no rhyme or reason to it. It's the same thing I'm doing every single day, getting ready for each and every game. But right now the swing is going through the middle.
Speaker 3: But it's remarkable, Freddie. Most guys I went through what you did last postseason, not only with the ankle but the ribs. To play through it and play at that level and then have ankle surgery during the off season and not skip a beat. That doesn't happen. But that's a testament to your work ethic.
Speaker 4: I appreciate that, I really do. I do appreciate those words. In my mind, I'm just doing this what I expect myself to do. I did put in a lot of work trying to get back as fast as I could. It's still work in progress. Like I just was on the table for about an hour and a half to get to come out here and do my drills and get ready for this game. So it's still going, you know. But I'm in a good spot physically with my ankle, my ribs. We've worked on that still too, just because of what happened in Japan and we weren't really thinking about my ribs and then all of a sudden flared up again real quick. So we've been working on that, keeping that hopefully in check. So I in my mind, it's I'm just trying to do my job and do what is it expected of me. So I understand there's been a lot of things that happened in the offseason with surgeries and stuff like that, but I'm in a good spot physically where I can go out there and be myself.
Speaker 3: I got a big picture question for Freddy Freeman, because your career has endured generations now at this point in a good way. What's the biggest difference hitting in twenty eleven, your first year in the big leagues, compared to hitting in twenty twenty five. The type of pitching you're seeing, just the way the game is approached.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I would say obviously velocity is a lot higher than it was in twenty eleven. I also think, like we saw with the Miami start Blowzo two times through the order he was out, So your face seeing most often you're facing at least three different pictures in a night. There's different arm angles, like just like the Diamondbacks they have, they have guys coming at all different angles. You got Thompson who throws her side arm. You got lefties, you know, facing another guy that we hadn't faced, Mario Yester night throwing a hundred. So a lot of different things that are a lot different from fifteen years ago. But I would have to say more velocity and facing more pictures each night than we did fifteen.
Speaker 3: Loved Freddy and with Mother's Day on Sunday, you're always in our thoughts. And I know Chelsea's done a great job being a mom to your kids, and I know your mom's with you every day.
Speaker 5: Yeah, you know.
Speaker 4: I when I was younger, Mother's Day was a little tough for my mom passed away, But now I know that she's she's looking down with the perfect seat to everything that's going on. And Chelsea's an incredible mother. So Mother's Day is a little bit happier these days now, but I'll be always in remembrance of my mom. And you know, Chelsea's an incredible mother. So I can't wait to get home Sunday and see you.
Speaker 2: Freddie's the man, no doubt about it.
Speaker 3: And I have visions of Freddie starting at first base for the National League in this year's All Star Game, which so happens to be in Atlanta at Truest Park. And I also have visions of Freddie taken at bat in the first inning against his former Braves teammate Max Freed, who is having a great year with the Yankees his first year in pinstripes. No doubt Max Freed is going to be the starting pitcher for the American League. Could you imagine that Max Freed facing Freddie Freeman in the first inning of this year's All Star Game in Atlanta at Truest Park. Two guys that the Braves just let walk away that are having a major impact on their current team. So thank you very much, Alex Anthopolis. When we continue here on Dodger Talk, we will hear from Ross Stripling He's going to join us at seven point thirty. He just retired and certainly a fan favorite with the Dodgers, was drafted by the Dodgers in twenty twelve, made his major league debut with the Dodgers in twenty sixteen, and even got a shout out from Dave Roberts during the twenty twenty World Series trophy ceremony. So we'll hear from Ross and coming up in our next segment, calling ye, our Dodgers radio studio producer put together a great highlight montage of this past ten game road trip. In the highlights of the Dodgers fireworks that saw them go six and four and now have a twenty seven and fourteen record, the best record in baseball, and now have the A's and Angels coming to town to start a big nine game homestand with Mookie BET's babblehead tomorrow night, and the Dodgers for me, on this homestand the first six games, no doubt, they should go five and one, two out of three against the A's and sweep the Angels, who are not doing well and are in complete disarray in more ways than one. And then you got the Diamondbacks coming to Dodgers Stadium, so this should be one of those home stands for the Dodgers where they stack the chips in the win column, especially against the A's and Angels, no doubt about it. So tomorrow night the Dodgers will have land and knack on the mound against the A's, then Yamamoto, and then Suzaki in the three game series against the A's who are currently the Sacramento As. All right, when we continue on Dodger Talk Off Night edition, our highlight montage of a great road trip for the Dodgers that saw them go six and four, letting everybody know they're not even hitting on all cylinders and they're doing pretty well twenty seven and fourteen. David vasse with you until eight o'clock right here on five to seventy LA Sports, your home of the world champion Dodgers. It's a big fan favorite, and I wanted to get him on the show on an off day night heading into a nine game homestand for the Dodgers that begins against the team that Ross last pitched for. That's right, Ross stripling was part of the final Oakland A's run. He was pitching for the A's last year and now decided to retire after not catching on with the team. He had a great nine year career and Ross will join us coming up in fifteen minutes. But before we get to that, since the Dodgers just finished their longest road trip of the season, so many great moments, so many great highlights of a ten game and ten day road trip, and it was a successful road trip, no doubt about it. The Dodgers had a lot of things to overcome and they were able to and get through it in a long season. And since there were so many great moments and highlights of a long road trip, I thought, what better way than to reflect than have our own colin Ee put together an eighties like montage of the highlights of the Dodgers' last ten game road.
Speaker 2: Trip in Atlanta, Miami and Arizona.
Speaker 6: Enjoy live from Truis Park in Atlanta, Georgia.
Speaker 1: It's the first game of a three game weekend series after the Dodgers kicking off.
Speaker 7: A three city through road trip. He's got the highest exit velocity of any player in this game. It's almost ninety six miles an hour.
Speaker 6: Lookie swings hits a drive to left field and deep going back is for Dugo, still going back and this ball is gone. It's a home run for Bets, his fifth of the season, a solo shot Forer Mookie and the Dodgers lead it two or nothing. Three one pitching, Freeman hits the ball high and deep to center field.
Speaker 7: This ball is back, and this ball is gone.
Speaker 6: Freddie Freeman with a three run homer here in Atlanta.
Speaker 7: And the Dodgers lead it ten to three.
Speaker 6: Freeman's sixth home run of the season in his third hit of the ball game. The Dodgers have opened this one up, stretching the two to Will Smith for mglacies. If all gets away from the catcher on strike three, first bas is open and now Kim going for third, He's gonna make it so strikeout two to three of the putout. Because Smith had the presence of mind to take off for first, the Braves had to make a playdown there and Kim good timing smartly broke for third.
Speaker 7: And now the tying run is ninety feet away.
Speaker 6: An one they had. Freddie Hammer's won to center field. This ball heading back, this ball on the way, it is gone. Home run Freddy Freeman, a two h two on homer and a Dodgers leader three and to hing home run number seven for Freeman.
Speaker 7: He extends his hitting straight to ten games, and.
Speaker 6: He is now tied for the most home runs against the Marlins all time with forty one. He's tied Ryan Howard and Ryan Zimmerman.
Speaker 7: With forty one.
Speaker 6: Encounter fire to spring training this year, some folks from the Korean community in Los Angeles reached out to me and told me how to do it. There's the first major league hit for Kim. As he goes the other way, lining on the left field, we'll get him. The ball loop comes the two two pick and Otani hammers this one of right failed.
Speaker 7: If it stays up, it's gone. It has gone.
Speaker 6: A home run into the Dodger compan of frozen rope for Altani. Hello showtown here in South Florida. A two run shot. It is five nothing, Dodgers. That ball was absolutely annihilated one hundred and seventeen point nine miles per hour off the back. That ball's gotta be broken. He looks one into shadow left center field.
Speaker 7: That's gonna drop for a hit.
Speaker 6: I haas racing around third, He'll come into store provos the second he gets away.
Speaker 7: Canfloro's gonna rumble to third base.
Speaker 6: Kim goes to first and anchors there and the Dodgers now lead it six and up it one out one on the one to one pitch from Gonsolo and Hick swing hits a long drive to right his Paul's headed back toward the wall. There is pie Has and he makes the catch throwing back.
Speaker 7: To first base. Double play from the wall. Oh what a play by Andy pie Has.
Speaker 6: Peels it off the top of the outfield wall, comes down and doubles off fires. Incredible play, Absolutely terrific. Sean o'tani leads off against left hander Anthony Veneziano. He comes out of the bullpen to take over for Cal Quantrill on top of the sixth and Otani Hammer's gonna turn. That is an upper deck monster shot on the first petch against the Marlins reliever, and he ties the game at two, his second home run in his many nights. Shaw heyl Tonney, with ten home runs on the season, ties the game with a four hundred three.
Speaker 7: Foot shot to the upper deck and right in the dom.
Speaker 6: Is designated for assignment today and Freeman, let's run high and deep to center field.
Speaker 7: This Paul heading back to the wall. It's gone a hommer.
Speaker 6: Freddy Freeman with a homer, and that gives the Dodgers a three to two lead.
Speaker 7: Home run number eight for Freddie and he now is the all time home.
Speaker 6: Run leader against the Marlins with forty two. He had progressed it back where it was, but he was swinging well. He swings well here and he hammers one to center field. It's deep, it's back to the wall. It's gone a home run, a three run home run for James. Upon once a round the park, James, it is ten to nothing Dodgers.
Speaker 7: Lord, did he clobber that one?
Speaker 6: Four hundred and sixteen feet and one hundred and ten miles per hour off the bat? And you'll want pitch the Kiki. He swings and drives one deep to the left field. That falls way back. That fall is gone home run.
Speaker 1: KEI care.
Speaker 8: Hard?
Speaker 7: Did he put a charge into that baseball?
Speaker 6: He gets a run right back and it's three to two O and Otani hits it to left center field. That ball is headed back toward the wall. It bounces off the road and tracking off the wall. Here comes Roha stepping on third. Here's the relay play at the plate.
Speaker 7: Safe.
Speaker 6: Otani tie's the game with a two out run, scoring double, and it's three to three. Andy Pye has flied out deep to center. First time up, he swings and he rips it in the left. That's of Bates in Smith is gonna score. Freeman beingway Tom he will score. And Andy pie has gives the Dodgers the with a two run single. It is five to three, Dodgers one two pits. That's tapped to first name. It's gonna grab it, come to the plate and it's safe, but the plates Pius Carol gets away.
Speaker 7: Here comes k K the store. The Dodgers get two more on that play. It is now seven to three, so just a rush through.
Speaker 1: But I'm gonna tell you what you talked about baseball in instinct, the fact that kicking her names could score on that from second base troubled up with the base coaching of Dino Evil at thirty. That is just tremendous base run. It pitched the months East Wings hits.
Speaker 6: A ground ball in the right pail and base said k K's gonna come around third.
Speaker 7: Here comes the turn from Carol.
Speaker 6: It is not in time and the Dodgers are tighter. Max Monson with a game time base hit of the ninth a night it's eleven two in heaven. That's on deck. One out, two on, one ball, two strike, pick and Otani swags and he hampers.
Speaker 7: A dig rayfield way back and gone a three run home run for show. Hey, o'tney, you won a show? He is incredible.
Speaker 6: His twelfth home run Emma Dodgers with a sixth spot in the ninth lead at fourteen two eleven.
Speaker 7: Can you believe this?
Speaker 6: Normo playing up the middle third baseman Suarez way off the bag, one out, The pitches swung on and hit him the left center field gap.
Speaker 7: That's down. It's gonna go to the wall. Rookie on the run.
Speaker 6: He's gonna get waked home by Dino evil rookie around third.
Speaker 7: He is to the plate, He scores and the.
Speaker 6: Dodgers lead it one nothing on a double by Freddie Freeman. Carrol leeds at first base, held on by Freddy O tu pitch there goes Carol pitches up high foo ball throw down, Hey got him?
Speaker 7: I want to throw by Will Smith.
Speaker 6: He just cut down one of the fastest runners in the game in Gorvin Carroll on a perfect strike to second base, heel back two down, hits two.
Speaker 7: Suarez swung out a little woe.
Speaker 6: Holder of the third day side pairheaded by Monsey, throws to first.
Speaker 7: God, I'm gonna play by Max oh An.
Speaker 6: Absolutely terrific play defensively by Max Munsey, charging and peeling the ball off the artificial grass with one hand and throwing in the same motion to get Suarez.
Speaker 7: Here's a two two swung on well hit to right. It's teep going back.
Speaker 6: To the track to the wall. God, it's in the pool, sprash down as Freddie Freeman HiT's a mother of a home run on Mother's Day. It is five to nothing, hits the bench range and he hits one up of the air.
Speaker 7: Tape to right center. It is heading back.
Speaker 2: Toward the track to the wall.
Speaker 7: Go on home run for Bets.
Speaker 6: Mokey goes yard and it is six to one.
Speaker 7: Wow.
Speaker 3: So many great moments, including Hayes Sung Kim's major league debut first hit, first rbi Otani's home run in the ninth inning in Arizona. Just a really awesome road trip with a lot of superstar power from the Dodgers. So thank you to Colin Yee for putting that together. When we continue here on off day Dodger talk, Ross Strippling.
Speaker 7: Will join us.
Speaker 3: Don't go anywhere more Dodger Talk around the corner with Chicken Strip next on a five to seventy LA Sports formerly Oakland, formerly Kansas City, currently Sacramento and soon to be Vegas Athletics, so they will be back in action against the A's starting tomorrow night. And right now we are joined by a man that pitched in Oakland the final year the A's were in Oakland, but he will always be remembered as a Dodger and he just recently announced his retirement on social media because that's how you do things. In twenty twenty five. He made his major league debut with the Dodgers. In twenty sixteen. He was drafted by the Dodgers in the fifth round of the twenty twelve draft out of Texas. A and M A proud Aggie, the one and only Ross Strippling. Chicken Strip is joining us on Dodger Talk. Ross thanks a lot for calling in.
Speaker 7: Appreciate it, FASSA.
Speaker 9: What's up, Man's It's great to be here. This is like twenty sixteen all over again. Excited to talk with you, man.
Speaker 3: I remember your first spring training in Major league camp. Ross in twenty twelve, and just being able to see your career where it started and where it finished. What do you remember or what do you appreciate the most about your major league career?
Speaker 9: Gosh, man, right off the bat with a with a hard hitter. You know, it's funny when when I announced that retirement, it kind of forced me to reminisce and and being nostalgic more than I normally am, just with how people reached out and seeing stuff on social media and and all that stuff. And you really start, you know, kind of thinking about your career and you know, firs first and foremost, man, I'm just so lucky to have been drafted and developed by the Dodgers that at I will be adamant about that forever. Just uh, how good they are at taking in talent and getting the best out of them. You still see that to this day. And uh, and then to have Kershaw there to kind of take me under his wing and just learn by osmosis from him, and and I'm just you know, no doubt I wouldn't have lasted as long as I did without the Dodgers, you know, picking me and and showing me the way. And then as far as maybe what I remember the most, or maybe most proud of, is just the you know, the Swiss Army Knife, being the key k Hernandez of the pitching staff, and and just knowing that a team could ask me to do anything and I'd do it with a smile on my face and usually hopefully do it successfully and help us win games in any way I could. I just think, you know, that's what kept me around. And then now a few months removed from it, that's what I remember and I'm most proud of it is just being a guy that a team could always rely on to give him a shot and to do the job. I think I'm proud of that for sure.
Speaker 3: Well, speaking of being a Swiss Army Knife, we always thought that you were the most well rounded human being in a Dodger clubhouse because you had your sight set on life after baseball. It wasn't going to be baseball and then try to figure out what you could do with your life. How much did that play into your decision to say, you know what, I've had a great career. I'm going to move on to the next chapter of my life.
Speaker 9: You know, it definitely did. Now I don't have the next chapter figured out by any means, you know, kind of what you said of kind of being well rounded is now all of a sudden, I find myself interested in like five different buckets of things, and I can't decide how I want to spend my time. And all the while, I have a six week old son or third boy, and you know, so just enjoying the family time. I'm kind of using that as an excuse right now to punt some stuff down the road where I'm just like, I'm gonna enjoy this this chapter with my family as I start to get restless here a little bit and need to start doing something. But for now, you know, just enjoying that and knowing I got a lifetime to figure that out and to work and to you know, hopefully stay involved with baseball in some way, and then to find some other things I'm passionate about. But yeah, you know it, that makes it, I think a little bit easier to walk away when we know you have loves and passions away from baseball. But you know, all the while, I showed up to spring trying and expecting to make a team this year and it just fell a little short. So like I still had the fire and my belly to compete, and I thought I could get out to the big league level. It just, you know, it didn't quite work out. And you know, now here we are a few weeks removed from it, and it's, uh, you know, I'm okay with it. It just it's always weird leaving the game behind. For sure.
Speaker 3: Hey, I thought you were too looking over for Warren Buffett. That's the reason why you retired.
Speaker 9: Yeah, yeah, I put in my resume. He didn't take me up on it. I guess you had someone else in mind.
Speaker 3: That's the voice of Ross Stripling forever a Dodger. He just announced his retirement. And I'm going to ask you another tough question. Ross, you played on a lot of good Dodger teams. You were an All Star in twenty eighteen when you guys went to the World Series for the second straight year. Which Dodger team that you pitched on was the best team that you played on?
Speaker 9: Oh my gosh, good question, man. That twenty seventeen team comes to mind. I mean, we we that was an extremely talented team, as are all Dodger teams of the last you know, fifteen years or whatever. But you just, you know, obviously ending against the Astros in the way that it did that lived an infamy at this point. But that team as far as like who we got at the trade deadline and how confident we were going in the playoffs, and I don't even want to guess much we want the division by, but I guess it is double digits. And I mean that team just felt like we were firing on all cylinders and obviously take it all the way to a Game seven of a World Series against a team that was cheating to have to beat us. I think that goes to show you how good that team was. So I would ride with that twenty seventeen team.
Speaker 3: How much does the way that season ended still kind of stick with you and your teammates?
Speaker 2: You think twenty years from.
Speaker 3: Now, do you, guys, do you believe you'll still be thinking about, you know, if they weren't cheating, how your career and how a lot of careers would have been different.
Speaker 9: Well, you know, Bessy, that probably won't go too deep into it, but you know, I think in group chats and small rooms and stuff like that, twenty years from now, we'll certainly still acknowledge that it's probably one of the bigger cheating scandals in sports and certainly in baseball, But you know it was what it was. We kind of knew it in real time, and then you know, it comes out in twenty twenty and bastros go through what they go through from a punishment standpoint, and you just kind of move on, you know, And I wouldn't say it's keeping us up at night or anything like that. Maybe real legacy guys, if we're talking about Clayton and you know, guys like that that could have used another ring on their resume for historical reasons, we'll think about them more than maybe you think about yourselves and stuff like that. But you know, obviously really thankful the Dodgers got that twenty twenty ring, and you know that probably won't go too much seaper down this rabbit hole with.
Speaker 3: You, fair enough, Ross, this is a good feeling retirement interview. And speaking of the twenty twenty World Series, how much did it mean to you that, even though you weren't there in Texas that Dave Roberts went out of his way on stage as he's accepting the trophy to name role call you out for what you meant to the Dodgers.
Speaker 9: Yeah, That'll always be amazing to me that say, I really will that when you are on stage accepting a World Series trophy after a year's work worth of work and in COVID and even like multiple years worth of work, and my name went through Dave Roberts's mind at that point, for one, just shows you who he is as a person. And then you know, that's something I'm really proud of that I left a little bit of legacy on that team where you know, as definitely not the first ten dudes on the call sheet of that team, they still acknowledged me and what I did for those teams to get that ring that you know, when I think about my career, I think about, like my debut, I think about pitching the first game back in Toronto in front of an entire country when baseball and been there for a year and a half, and I think of Dave Roberts saying my name on stage when the whole world was watching a World Series because we were shut down, and he says thank you, Ross Stripling, you know, as his team accepts the World Series that I instantly called my dad and I was like, did.
Speaker 7: You see that?
Speaker 9: And he's like, yeah, I was like, oh my gosh, you know so it that that really means a lot. And I just think it's it's so cool for him to acknowledge me in that situation when he started, they didn't have to. So that will forever mean absolute tounch me.
Speaker 3: Well, that just shows how much ross strippling meant to Dave Roberts into the Dodger organization. Another name that you've brought up a few times, and obviously he means everything to the Dodgers is Clayton Kershaw. What was the dynamic between you two, like, and why do you believe Clayton took you under his wing when you first arrived in Big League camp and with the Dodgers.
Speaker 9: Yeah, so I don't want to get ahead of myself. I would say Clayton took me under his wing as best that he knows how because he is so laser focused on his especially at that time. You know, he's now got four kids. I think he's mellowed out a little bit. At that time, he was still you know, hunting Cy Young's on a yearly basis, and so just hell been on what he was going to do that I you know, if you almost I got three kids. Now, I think about how my second kid follows around my oldest.
Speaker 1: That was me.
Speaker 9: I was the second kid, and you know, my oldest wants nothing to do with my second kid. And Clayton was just you know, going about his business like throwing his bullpens, working out, doing his arm care, scouting the lineup that he's about to face, all that stuff. And I would just watch him, and you know, I knew that we had the Texas thing in common. He was supposed to be an Aggi. He didn't go to A and m his wife's an Aggie, you know. And I just kind of like played to my strengths as far as what could keep me around him when I was young, and you know, and then you kind of wear him down and he starts opening up to you and helping me out a little bit and all that. But I just, you know, from a mentor standpoint as far as being a Christian man, a father, a husband, and then also you know, maybe the greatest left handed pitcher that's ever grace a Major League Mound. I just learned so much from him, and I just, you know, I said it at the top, like I just I don't think I would have made it nine years without being around him and just seeing what it takes to work day in and day out to be ready for a big league season, to stay healthy and to have success. I mean, I just I can't say enough about Clayton when he's up.
Speaker 3: There at Cooperstown one day. Ross, do you feel like that's the privilege that you have that so many others don't, is that you got to see what it takes between the starts to be as great as he was.
Speaker 9: Yeah. I think that's a good way to put it. Man. You know, most all the fans, you know, they get to see him every fifth day, and obviously you see the passion and how competitive he is. I mean, he's you know, one of a kind. But we that were lucky enough to see him day to day like you, or to play with him day to day like me, you know, really get to see the behind the scenes stuff, which is where he's just an animal, and you know, you realize what it takes to not only just like be in the big leagues, but for him to like be a superstar, you know, to be one of the greatest ever as far as how dedicated to it you have to be. And just you know, if he gave up two runs. That was a bad start for like the first ten years of his career. Like, that's just so amazing to think about, you know. So he just said to be so laser focused. So not only did he have the stuff to back it up, but he had the mentality that you see from like the Verlanders insuresers of the world, where like if he gets three runs early, he's going for your throat and that game's over. And you know, there's just not that many guys like that, and Clayton was certainly one of them, or is still certainly one of them.
Speaker 3: Yeah, still is Is that surprising to you that Ross Strippling retired before Kershawn? Maybe you can give us some insight on what's still driving him right now.
Speaker 9: I I will not put words in the Clayton Kershaw's mouth. I you know, yes, he was there long before me, and he's gonna be around after me. Still getting guys out in the big leagues, you know, I I honestly don't know. I think that he still has the passion to play and to get out. So I'm sure, you know, not being healthy for one sixty two in the last couple of years probably just drives him nuts. I'm sure he just wants to like make thirty starts and feel that again and and you know, be a guy that the team can rely on to go out every fit day. I know he holds his you know, has so much in that. And then you know, I'm sure his family's in a good spot where they feel good about he's you know, he can still play and be a dad and do all the things that he wants to do. They got a good routine going. So I think it's like the Dodgers are in this awesome era of being so good, you know, like the mid nineties Braves kind of thing, and he's like, I want to miss out on it. I helped build this and I'm going to see it through. And I just I think, you know, all encompassing it still works out where he can kind of do it on his terms, and when he's ready to pitch, he'll he'll show up and he'll be cutting Kershaw and I you know, I can't wait to see him in the second half of the season and hopefully make some postseason starts and do great And because you know, no one deserves it more than him.
Speaker 3: Ross Strippling is our guest he announced his retirement last week.
Speaker 2: Ross.
Speaker 3: Just a couple of more questions for you, because you have such a unique perspective considering where your career started as far as the time that baseball was being played and the way baseball's being played now and the whole Dodger's trajectory here.
Speaker 2: What do you think about this.
Speaker 3: Version of the Dodgers compared to where it was in twenty sixteen.
Speaker 9: Yeah, I you know, I really loved the teams that we had. Those teams probably felt a little more homegrown, right, And the Dodgers still unbelievably elite at drafting and developing talent or taking guys from other teams that have been maybe spit out for various reasons and taking them in and getting the best out on think of like early Justin Turner, early Max Munty. You know, they're still elite at that. I'm obviously not saying they've they've lost their touch there, but you know that twenty twenty World Series team, I think the stat is either sixteen or nineteen homegrown players were on that roster. And then you know guys like Munsey and JT that certainly weren't, you know, highly touted from other organizations. So, like, I think those teams are really special because it shows that not only did they have kind of an unlimited bank role, but they also drafted and developed from within and got them to the big leagues and had immense success with those guys. So I just think that is like the ultimate testament to being a successful organization. But then you know, now it's like, let's bring in the star power, let's totally swallow up the Japanese market, and you know, and really like make Los Angeles baseball a show, I mean to Hollywood, and let's let's let's go all the way into this thing, and then in the first year win a World Series. So I think both are awesome, and I think, you know, ownership going all the way in one way or the other is just a testament to them being like one of the only ones that says like we're here to win baseball games and to make it look good and to be a powerhouse. And you know, obviously, as players would wish other owners would do the same because that leads to more money for players and just better things all the way around, a better show, better product on the field. So you know, I wish other teams would fallow suit.
Speaker 3: No doubt perfectly said before I let you go, I want to end it on this, if I'm not mistaken. Back in twenty sixteen, twenty seventeen, as far as the relationships that you built with those same homegrown guys, what was it like sharing a house and lows Field with Alex Wood and Corey Seeger as roommates. Was that one of your fondest seasons being roommates with those guys?
Speaker 9: Yeah, I just think, you know, and you even go back to like the minor leagues before that, when we'd pile like six dudes into a two bedroom and you know, I'll sleeping on a twin mattress in the kitchen, and some of those guys were groomsmen in my wedding. You know that that those are gonna be the stuff that stick with me. You know, ten years from now, I'm not gonna remember the May outing against the Padres in twenty eighteen or whatever. You know, I'm gonna remember some of those funky memories from when we piled into houses together. And you know, an answer question that those are two still probably maybe my two best friends from baseball still, you know, are Corey and Alex. So I just think it that was and our wives were super close. Like that's just you look back at like when like true friendships and stuff were built right there where. It was cool because we were having success on the field, but then we were getting dinners and exploring Los Angeles and staying up late and talking about why and you know, just like building a real friendship with those guys and I hope last forever. So I just think it's like one of those perfect six months where you like will look back and just like, man, like my life changing an awesome way during that time, and I'm so thankful for it.
Speaker 3: Hey, Los Angeles is thankful for Chicken Strip Ross Strippling. You were always a professional, You're always first class Ross, and I'm happy to share you with the fans again as you announce your retirement. All you guys from those teams will always have a special place in Dodger fans' hearts and mine as well.
Speaker 2: So thank you for a great career.
Speaker 3: Thank you for being as good of a person as you were on the mound as a pitcher, so we all appreciate that.
Speaker 9: Well, Dave, thank you so much, man, And I'll do the same and say thank you for always making it fun and you know, making it enjoyable to talk with you and also making it easy. You know these questions we you know, kind of joke that they're hard hitting, but you're you're fun to talk to all the time. Man, So keep up the good work. And you know I'll come on anytime. Man, looking forward to doing it again.
Speaker 2: We'll do it for sure again.
Speaker 3: And you never know, Ross Strippling might be on sports at LA and running bert Shire Hathaway on his weekday. So this is not the last time you'll hear from Ross Strippling. I guarantee that. Thanks Ross, and congratulations on being a great husband and dad. And we'll see you soon at Dodger Stadium.
Speaker 9: All right, sounds good saying thank you man.
Speaker 3: There he goes Ross Strippling. He was a fan favorite, a great guy obviously and now turning the page to a post playing career. And Ross can do anything he wants. He could go into financial advising, he could be a broadcaster, he could be a coach, he could even work in the front office. I mean he is so well rounded and always a lot of times the most intelligent guy in a clubhouse and certainly could express himself really well and appreciate Ross taking as much time out of his night to join us. And uh, it was a fun time where Ross stripling and those group of Dodgers. And speaking of those group of Dodgers, I had a chance to catch up with Austin Barnes in Arizona and I asked him what his favorite memories were of Ross strippling.
Speaker 8: There's probably two. Ross was a great teammate, but two like incidents. It was probably when he threw behind Stan and he and he just looked down the whole time. And it was if I remember, I got in front of standing and his wife said thank you to me after after the game. But besides that, I remember he pinched ran too. I hit like a walk off double and he scored it. I liked his little jog around around the bases. But no, he was a great teammate. Still really close with Ross, congratulating on a great career and excited for his next chapter.
Speaker 3: Did you think you were going to stop Stanton if he really wanted to go out there.
Speaker 9: I would have.
Speaker 2: I would have been a wall speed bump.
Speaker 8: But that's also another big man.
Speaker 10: So yeah, that walk off Bass hit that Austin Barnes was talking about was in twenty seventeen against the Pirates, and it was Austin Barnes.
Speaker 3: I drove in Ross Stripling who was the pinch runner. And we totally remember John Carlos Stanton with the Marlins at the time kind of taking exception to Ross hitting him with a pitch. So I had forgotten about those two moments, but after Austin brought him up, I certainly remember them now. Eight six six nine, eight seven, two five seventy is the phone number. David Vasse with you until the top of the hour on off day Dodger Talk. The Dodgers are back in action tomorrow night against the A's. They'll have Landon Knack on the mound in the opener of the series, and then Yamamoto followed by Rochi Sazaki now speaking of the Dodgers pitching, Obviously they're a little short handed right now, but have the depth of players like Landon Nak, Bobby Miller, Justin Robleski to be able to fill the spots that they need to be filled right now. With Tyler Glass now, Blake Snell and Clayton Kershaw on the injured list. Who would have thought that Kershaw would be the first one of those three to come back, and that's what's going to happen. Kershaw pitched his final rehab game yesterday for Oklahoma City against the Albuquerque Isotopes. I still don't like that name, being a Dodger fan my whole life, Albuquerque being the Dodgers affiliate, they were always the Dukes in the Duke city of Albuquerque. But nonetheless, Kershaw faced Albuquerque yesterday and pitched really well to finish his rehab assignment. Four innings, two earn runs against Albuquerque, and now he's eligible to be activated off the sixty day IL on Saturday, which would set him up for a start on Sunday. I mean, there is a chance that he could start on Saturday, I suppose, so he's going to pitch against the Angels. Whether it's Saturday or Sunday still remains to be seen. And that's great news for Kershaw. And I'm interested to see what version of Kershaw the Dodgers get. I had heard different things about his fastball velocity, whether it was eighty seven, eighty eight, touching ninety. It would make life a lot easier for Kershaw. If he was touching ninety consistently, and even before he got hurt last year, his fastball was right there eighty nine to ninety. But having the fastball at ninety miles an hour helps his slider, helps his curveball because it gives more disparity of velocities to give the hitter a different look, not only changing north south east west, but velocities. That's important to have that type as big of a range between your fastball and your secondary pitches as possible. That's what made him so devastating. When he was at his he was throwing ninety five ninety six, then had a hard slider at eighty eight, coming down at the back foot of your feet if you're a right handed hitter, and then he had the curveball for a strikeout pitch. But now we're talking eighty seven to eighty nine, maybe ninety. It's going to be interesting to see how he's able to get hitters out. But the one way he will get hitters out is by competing out competing them, and that's one thing that has got him to this point in his career, to be in this position at thirty six years old and only thirty something strikeouts away from three thousand in his career. Now, as far as the other two guys go, Tyler Glassnow and Blake Snell were supposedly checked out by Neil Elatrosh today. I know, just talking to Snell, he just wasn't that concerned that this was going to be a whole season shoulder injury. He's never had a shoulder injury in his career. But he's still feeling something and that's the reason why he didn't play catch in Arizona on this road trip. Now, we did talk to Blake the first day in Arizona, and here's for the first time publicly him talking as much as he will about his shoulder injury.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I'm gonna be throwing here shortly, so we'll see. We're just taking a day, my day, going slow, but we should know soon. So once once I feel one hundred percent healthy, ready to go, that's the plan and then we'll see from there.
Speaker 2: You feel like you're moving in the right direction.
Speaker 5: Yeah, every day, you know, some days I feel a little worse than the others. This the longest I've been on the il and forever, so it's been frustrating and difficult to go through but I like being on the road trip. I like being able to, you know, support the teammates and and more so, just be selfless. I'm worrying about myself and start learning more about the team. That's really helped me mentally. Just you know, focus on day by day and when it's my time, it will be my time. But right now it's not, and I got to accept that and focus on rehab, get as strong and healthy as I can get, and then when it's my time, I'll be ready to go.
Speaker 3: Now, he didn't really say a whole lot there, but he doesn't seem like he's that concerned.
Speaker 2: And the Dodgers just want to be extra.
Speaker 3: Sure and extra careful before they start ramping up his throwing because the worst case scenario would be is if they say, come on, it's just a little pain, now, get out there, start your throwing program. You'll be fine, and then he comes back and has a major setback and he's lost for the year. That's not what the Dodgers want. And having the record they have right now twenty seven and fourteen, having the offense they have right now certainly gives them that luxury. Speaking of the Dodgers starting pitching. I'm sure you're well aware of right now before we say good night, that the Dodgers' bullpen has thrown more innings than any other bullpen in baseball. That's not sustainable. And you have veterans like Kirby Yates, Tanner Scott, and Alex Vesia that have pitched in half of the games the Dodgers have played. That's not something Andrew Friedman wants. So the Dodgers are going to have to figure out a way to get these starters deeper into games. They've had young arms like benk Casparrius throw twenty seven innings, Jack Dryer pitching seventeen games, multiple innings a lot of those times, they've had a huge impact in their first full years. So the Dodgers starters need to start picking it up, and hopefully the Dodger offense can keep going to kind of take the burden off their pitching staff because their offense. Without their offense, the Dodgers would not be twenty seven and fourteen. It's that good even without Edmn and those guys. All right, that'll do it for us on Dodger Talk tonight. Thanks to Ronnie Fossio for all his help thanks to calling Yee, and thanks to you for listening. In case you missed any of the show, you can find it on the iHeartRadio app. We'll talk to you tomorrow night at six o'clock with Morongo Casino, Dodgers on deck, first pitch from Dodgers Stadium at seven to ten on Mookie Bets Babblehead Night between the Dodgers and A's. Have a great rest of your night. Fox Sports Radio is next.
Speaker 2: See you