Speaker 1: You are now listening to the Someone's Favorite Productions podcast Network.
Speaker 2: Hello everyone, and welcome to another wonderful Thursday here with the incredible mister Rogers, not that one, mister Craig Rogers. Welcome, sir.
Speaker 3: I'm not nearly as friendly.
Speaker 2: I can attest to that having meet you. Yes, that is true, quite hospitable though. I'm so stoked that you hear again tonight, Craig, of course from Deaf Crocodile, one of my favorites, one of the labels I work closely with. I am so honored to have you back.
Speaker 3: I love watching the show every week, so the fact that you let me be on it occasionally.
Speaker 2: Is be on it.
Speaker 3: Yeah. I mean I would do this every week, so it's just so much fun.
Speaker 2: This week is going to be an interesting one. We planned the topic a while ago. But what's funny. I thought there's gonna be a lot more announcements this week. We only got like just under thirty to cover.
Speaker 3: Yeah. I jumped into Instagram today to try and at least get some idea of what was going to be coming tonight, and I'm like, I thought I did something wrong. I'm like, I scrolled just a little bit, and I'm like, I thought that stuff was last week, right, Yeah, not much, So we'll just have to yack longer because you know, there's no way we're letting you out of here early.
Speaker 2: That's true. Yeah, we definitely got a lot to cover. I know that we will absolutely be making up for it. One thing before we get into all of the other stuff. Do you want to maybe highlight some tomorrow announcements for Deaf Crocodile.
Speaker 3: Uh? Yeah, let's do this. Mutant Aliens. It's our next Bill Plimpton release, and that is the really cool artwork he did specifically just for us for this release. Yeah. I mean, if you know Bill Plimpton stuff, there's not much more I can say. It's it's it's just wild. And this one is kind of like his take on a fifties sci fi film in the only in a way you like, only Bill would think up. I'm pretty sure he had said that the inspiration for this was the that first dog in Spacelika. It just hit him one day that when he just he realized that they sent the dog up but the dog didn't come back right, And he thought, well, that's just kind of horrible. What you know, what if we sent a human up and then just we're like, oh well, and that kind of inspired mutant aliens.
Speaker 2: This is going to be a pretty incredible release. Glad people seem to be into this. This is a big one and this will now be the third so far Plimpton release. And we also got the standard art on this incredible looking. Should we cover some of the special features, because, of course, I do.
Speaker 3: Want to point out that we are intentionally because we are again collectors ourselves and we have OCD. The artwork for all three on this wrap has a very similar layout and style intentionally because they're meant to look like they go together.
Speaker 2: Right right, and someday they may There could be a Limpton box in the future.
Speaker 3: No.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So we got another conversation with Bill Plumpton on here, we got an audio commentary, more shorts just as stacked as the last couple that we've put out with plumped in. This is incredible. This might be the one I'm looking forward to the most because I've not seen this one in a very long time.
Speaker 3: I feel like it is it is, it is wacky.
Speaker 2: It's a it's gonna be a fun one. And speaking of wacky, the other title for this month. Uh, this is the first time I saw the art, by the way, is when you sent this today. Yeah, he digged incredible.
Speaker 3: Yeah it's Tony Stella, Like you can't go wrong. Yeah. He you know, he's done quite a few covers for us. Since he started doing those for us, he's kind of kind of blown up a bit, like yeah, he's so he's he's a bit harder to get now. So we had asked him about this because this title has been in our in the World works for a long time, and he had staked his claim on it early on because he's a huge Japanese cinema fan. Right, So you know, like a year, two years goes by and I reached out to him again. I'm like, hey, do you remember that Japanese film you wanted to do, like you think you can still do it? And he's like, he's like, I don't really have much time but uh for that film. Yes, So this might be the last thing we get from Tony Stella because he's just too busy now. But yeah, again, he knocked it out of the park. It's it's it's fantastic. I mean I love everything about this release that the trailer turned out incredible both the again once again, the rap artwork two versions we like so much for like, well, screw it, they'll do both of them. So the rap is reversible. You can you can set it up to look whichever one you prefer.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 3: So, yeah, it's it's a It is a damn cool movie, just a horribly horribly bad title. I can't google it, no, So it's it's like, you know, we I'm always talking about how we make life hard on ourselves by picking movies nobody's heard of, and now we pick a movie very few people have heard of and they can't even google it to find out what it is. So yeah, it's And uh I had mentioned on our podcast the other day like I hadn't seen Brandon to Kill. I bought it from Criterion a long time ago and sat on the shelf and I'm like, all right, we're releasing this people. You know it's the same writer. I should watch it. So it popped it in and like halfway through, I was like, so, why is Brandon to Killed? Like put up on a pedestal and got a Criterion release and this is you know, it's on a pink film multifilm set, you know, that's not been restored, and it's there's a few reasons. The title is certainly one of them, the fact that there just weren't elements. You know what we what we used was a very very very beat up release print. The reason I said this has been in the hopper for almost two years with us is because it's taken that long to get it looking pretty good looking and sounding audio mechanics. Those guys Burbank did an amazing job with the sound as well. So it's finally ready. And yeah, if you like Brandon de Keil, you were going to love this film.
Speaker 2: So in a way that Gary can understand. Here, what is the synopsis of Inflatable Sex, All the Wasteles? We have not said that.
Speaker 3: It's hard to explain.
Speaker 2: So it's it's an art house film, very well done.
Speaker 3: First of all, if you can explain it, I'm going to let you go first. And if it's that sounds incorrect, I will jump in. But it's it's complicated, you know, it's it's like a noir where you know, not everything is what it seems right. And then add to that, they're playing with time and space and so things are hopping around, so it's a bit confusing, but basically as a private eye slash hitman is hired to find somebody and kill somebody and who is who gets confusing?
Speaker 2: Hired to find and kill somebody every day at three o'clock, and the story goes in lots of metaphorical different places and the whole every day three o'clock thing. You can see why that second cover on the right is so meaningful for this title. Now, it is a story that you got to pay attention to. You'll you'll find out the actual meaning behind the title near the end of it, and it's uh, it goes there. It is a very early, not super pink pink film, I would say pink ish, but definitely associated with pink films, and one that you certainly don't watch to get a rise out of because there's nothing erotic about this film.
Speaker 3: There there's there's there's some nudity, not a ton but it is not meant to be titillating. It is it is harsh, Yeah, it's it's I hate that it gets lumped in as a as a pink film, which it's just not really right.
Speaker 2: But it's a it's a really wonderful film, really wonderful release. You got a lot of stuff coming in. It's you had an audio commentary from Arnovet and Mike Leader attached to this one. Uh you hat a visual essay from me and doctor Will Dodson. Uh what else we got on this one? Uh?
Speaker 3: Terrific essays. I am never ready for this. I apologize. Uh do you have the information in front of you? And I don't.
Speaker 2: Well, I just realized that the list was not in the pictures that I was living.
Speaker 3: It's it's uh, well, there's three essays Christy Waltshaw and Alexander Nichols article, I get her name wrong, Nicholas Nicholas, and they're all all three are terrific. So like, yeah, there's an extra there's an extra essay in this one. Yeah, it's it's a it's a really good pack release all and there's also it wasn't it's interesting it was it came in late, so it didn't get listed on the j card on the packaging, but there's an interview with the producer who was one of the few female producers and back in the day in Japan, particularly working in pink films. So there's a really interesting interview with here that's been translated that's also in the booklet.
Speaker 2: I want to share a little peak behind the curtain because you've mentioned that you can't google this title. My wife is the one that has been working on the transcriptions for the commentary for this and after the first I don't know half hour of the commentary, she said, what have you done to my search history? To me? Because not only is she just transcribing what is being said, but making sure that the words are accurate, and so going to look up the titles that they bring up to make sure the year is right, making sure that we're doing it properly. And it's it was quite a we'll say, colorful commentary that you're going to enjoy this. But the big thing is Mike Leader and aren't Venimus speak very quickly? And there's so much information on this one legitimately like film school in a box in this commentary. It's an incredible release. You can hear more about it in the podcast episode going live tomorrow. As soon as this title goes up for sale, I think they'll be noon eastern, Yeah.
Speaker 3: New Eastern, nine am Pacific. Both of these films will be available if you've signed up for our newsletter, you'll get an email which Gmail has graciously decided to pull out of your inbox and put under their categories for either update or promotion. So if you're looking forward in your inbox, they may have moved it on you because I was looking for the one I sent to myself and couldn't find it. I'm like, I just sent I know, I sent it to myself, and yeah, so they just move your email to be helpful. It's not helpful.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's not, especially with how many questions you get about the subscription, which is a good transition to which one of these titles is coming in all the subscriptions? What can you share for that?
Speaker 3: Inflavable sex Doll will be going out to everybody. The people who have twelve month subscriptions will get an email to add on the Bill Plimpton, much like last month. If you have an international subscription or if you have a six month subscription, both titles are already included.
Speaker 2: We got a question for you earlier from Russ. It's Russ Craig. When is our Canada getting a reprint?
Speaker 3: It is in the works. We've just got just too many things going on at once.
Speaker 2: It is a wonderful we'll get a chance.
Speaker 3: There's definitely a re issue coming, and it will We're transitioning everything to the nicer cases, so everything will look nice on your shelf. But yeah, it's it's in the list, it's coming. We just we just got one batch of reprints done and the Patushco Fantasy films those are coming. All reprints of those coming very soon. So it's just a lot to get through, but it will be reprinted.
Speaker 2: Uh. And now for something a little bit different, wants to know if you're gonna be releasing the new Bill Plimpton film slide. Uh. I don't think that's in the works yet. But one thing I can say is if you buy a whole bunch of Bill Plimpton stuff from Deaf Crocodile, that would send a message to mister Plimpton that you want.
Speaker 3: Indeed, he does pay attention. A yeah, but there there is, there is. There's nothing signed, but we're planning more Bill Plimpton releases. So I have a spreadsheet with all of his features and elements that are available, and and then that includes a mile long list of shorts. So yeah, he's got he's got a lot, and we would We would love to release all of it if possible, But there's even I don't know if it's even possible. But like he did a ton of commercial work. It'd be so fun to be able to release, uh, just a compilation of all the ads he did for TV. That would be fun. Music videos. He did a ton of music videos. But writes issues on that kind of stuff, music videos and and and advertisements. He's like, yeah, it was all done work for hire. He's like, I don't have the rights to that stuff, so it might make it difficult, but but he's got plenty of other stuff that that we should be able to get our hands on. So more Bill Plimpton, I'm quite certain will be coming from us. Nothing signed, so don't hold me to it, but but hopefully that is the plan.
Speaker 2: There's lots more hints and just flat out things revealed in the Deaf Crocodile podcast. Make sure you download that tomorrow everywhere you get your podcast. It was a fun episode. We had a long conversation about other physical media that wasn't Deaf Crocodile. It was a nice change of pace on that front. Yeah, check it out, and.
Speaker 3: I recorded it inside my car.
Speaker 2: And you can't really tell. I edited out all of the failures that we had.
Speaker 3: At the beginning. Yeah, I think. I think I kept trying to connect to the Wi Fi and the and the Airbnb. I was sitting outside in the car.
Speaker 2: Glad you're home, Glad you're safe. Recent watches, anything that you've watched in the last four years that you want to hide.
Speaker 3: Uh, I've just been watching having some Loney tunes playing in the background while I work. Does that count?
Speaker 2: It does? It very much does. And I'm sure we're going to talk about one of those in your pickups.
Speaker 3: And I was very thrilled. I was happy to see. I was watching one of the early Tasmanian Devil cartoons and I was happy to see the Newton rings that happens when two pieces of cell animation touch each other, popping up on Warner Brothers Looney Tunes, and I'm like, good, it's not just the stuff I release. It just makes a weird looks like wet rainbow. You know, if you don't know what it is, you think it was some sort of damage for artifacts that was left in But that's it's just what happens when two pieces of plastic touch each other.
Speaker 2: Makes sense. It can all be perfect. The one thing I wanted to highlight this week I finally got around to the Scala documentary that Severn had put out.
Speaker 3: I love that cover. I don't know why. I really cool cover.
Speaker 2: It was also released in the UK by I Believe the BFI. The documentary itself is marvelous. If you are somebody that has ever been attached to like a counterculture movement, or a fan of a single theater, or somebody that longs for something like that, this documentary goes there. There's so much information about, you know, this wonderful period of you know, just an underground movement. Literally, I mean you get pictures of Iggy Pop on the Stooges and Boy George Kim Newman is featured heavily in this. There's there's lots of directors that you'll recognize the names of their work, that were introduced to some of their most influential films literally at the Skala. It's an incredible, incredible documentary. I don't know when I will ever be able to finish the like eleven hours of extras that came in this package to be able to but the documentary itself magnificent and worth a watch for any film fan. It is completely completely worth.
Speaker 3: It sounds cool, pickups.
Speaker 2: What do you have to share with the group, Well, we'll start off.
Speaker 3: Right at the top with Looney Tunes, since we just mentioned it. I, like many other people, bought the Collector's Choice. I had bought volume one, and I had bought Volume two. I hadn't bought three yet, and then four was announced and I had them in my cart, and then they announced the one through four set, and I'm like, you bastards, So I gave my one and two to my friend and got the one through four set for myself because it would have cost about the same to buy yeah, screen four as it did to get all four. And then I had mentioned in the discord that the Looney Tunes Platinum Collection, which is the one I think that came up before Collector's Choice, Volume one had a really cool media book release that was really neat, and then Volume two and three just had standard Blu ray cases with a slipcase, and I got Volume one media book, I got Volume three, and I couldn't get my hands on Volume two because for whatever reason, it was out of print. Quick went for stupid money on eBay, but friend of the show, Gauge reached out to me in the Discord and he's like, hey, I have that, let's work out of trade. So Volume two Platinum is finally in my hands. I would not have gotten it without that trade.
Speaker 2: On that note, I will say the Discord does magical things to bring people together. And if you want to be a part of the Discord or earned some deaf crocodile swag, you can still sign up for one of the Patreon promotions right now to get in the Discord. You sign up at the twelve dollars plan or higher and pay for a year in advance, and you get a couple free gifts. I will send you some stuff. I got a full spreadsheet to check out. And you are the main reason, Craig that a lot of that exists. So thank you again publicly. Now I can say since the first time I was in your garage on the verge of tears saying why are you being so generous?
Speaker 3: Because you've helped us incredibly and you're not an asshole. I still there are two big checks next to you.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, If you need some help, then you get help. That's just how it works. So only a few more pickups, and all of these were the four discs I got from the Criterion sale and one of their previous sales. Else I had picked up Devil in a Blue Dress because it was a film I'd always wanted to see, and then when they put out a new release of it, I'm like, all right, now's the time, and loved it. So Carl Franklin's one false Move seemed like an obvious pick. Never seen it blind By, but if it's half as cool and stylish as Devil in a Blue Dress, I'm going to love it. And I've heard nothing but great things about it.
Speaker 2: It is it is quite yes, especially man, those first twenty five minutes of that film are rough.
Speaker 3: This one technically isn't a blind By, but I think I probably saw it on VHS when I was a teen, don't remember. I know I've seen it, but I don't remember anything. So Michael Mann's thief glare there you go? So that seemed like a no brainer. I've liked most everything I've seen by Michael Mann. Another blind by. This one is almost entirely inspired by the absolutely incredible cover artwork, and then I and then I read a little bit about it and I heard it was like, oh, that sounds actually pretty cool, but it was definitely the cover artwork that sold me on. Oh yeah, all that money can buy just super cool artwork. So I'm hoping to enjoy that. And how did you get in here? Kiddy? All right?
Speaker 2: They were asking for cats earlier, so that, well.
Speaker 3: Here you go, there's a cat. And then the last one another blind By and this one. I think every single member of your discord up a copy of the new Godzilla, because yeah, everybody's posts and what they bought, they were all very different, except everyone had at least that one in it.
Speaker 2: I'm sure he's frantically typing a comment, but even Jeremy was saying, hey, what do you think of my Criterion cart before I pulled the trigger, and I was like, it's great, except you didn't get Godzilla was like, you have to get like this is what everybody is.
Speaker 3: Everybody else did.
Speaker 2: It's a requirement.
Speaker 3: So yeah, those are those are my pickups. I hope to watch them, you know, in less than a year. That's being hopeful.
Speaker 2: Yeah, cloud Maide, says Craig. With all the bangers tonight, Bill Gabierri just released an interview with Michael Mann about Thiefs Anniversary. If anyone is also a thief freak the way, I will have to check that out. Bilga's fantastic. Uh, let's see good question. I'm sure this was going to come up tonight, but Lil says, Hey, Craig. With Eureka releasing Heart of Stone in the UK, which is a DEFA title, can we expect def Crocodile to release it in the US?
Speaker 3: I can't name names, but we are talking to the DEFA folks about a lot more titles. So again, nothing signed. They'll hold me to it, but the plan is for many, many more DEFA titles.
Speaker 2: Yeah, good to hear, Good to hear my stuff this week. A couple of these are sort of old, but I've been saving them to talk about on any episode that where I didn't have much, and this week I didn't have much come in. I got in recently the Refuse Trauma three pack that they just put out in the UK with their release of Cannibal to the Musical, Sergeant, Kabuki, man NYPD and Toxic Avenger. Lots of very unique special features on these that are not on the US releases a reminder Kabuki Man is coming from Vinegar Syndrome at some point this year, so glad I have that already. And then switching over to Arrow two in one of my favorite fold chies, maybe my favorite fulcie, don't Torture a duckling in four K this is Hey.
Speaker 3: You mentioned that one a few times.
Speaker 2: Wild Wild movie crazy cover for this is a little busy, but it kind of fits. It's a It's a really unique movie, especially when you compare to his most famous stuff, because it's nothing like any of those really. And then one that I think I discovered this on Netflix like twelve years ago something like that. I astonished that Arrow was able to get it, but the good, the bad, and the weird on four K had to get this. This is an incredibly silly movie. Love this thing. That is thick. It is thick. It is a very thick release. It's it's one of their hard box packaging, but with a slipcover over the hard box. Mm hmm, it's a lot of cardboard. Yeah.
Speaker 3: I know nothing about that film, but it looks up my alley.
Speaker 2: I I think you would like it, especially with knowing what you love about Eastwood and Asian films. It's like the perfect combination of all of it. Colton says Duckling is definitely my favorite ful Chi love all the rule. Yeah, the rule of photography in that one is pretty beautiful. Anything else, Deef Crocodile or anything that you want to shout out before we get started on the announcements.
Speaker 3: Uh, tragiti man is progres is rendering as we as we speak?
Speaker 2: Nice.
Speaker 3: Finally got through that monster It's good day, super super cool movie. Wowome It's yeah, it's like, it's weird that there hasn't been a release of that. It just doesn't make any sense.
Speaker 2: Right, A lot of a lot of cool stuff coming from Deaf Crocodile. If you've not been keeping up with the podcast, Dennis kind of can't keep his mouth shut. So there's a lot of secrets that have been revealed on the podcast. Yeah every month.
Speaker 3: Yeah. At first I was just like, hey, what are you doing that hasn't been announced yet? And then I'm just like, it's our company. We can say what the hell whatever we want.
Speaker 2: And most of the time that's great because you just get people excited for months. Unfortunately, then you get you know, like the Mama Rock and Roll Wolf. That just happens that.
Speaker 3: Well, that you know, that wasn't a we We didn't announce that too soon. That was a we had a signed deal and paid for it and they had already scanned it. That was just a very weird set of circumstances that got that one pulled.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm still hurt by that one. That one sucks.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we paid for subtitles, they paid for a new scan. It was, it was underway, such a deal.
Speaker 2: I do not understand some people, What are you gonna do tonight after our announcements, our discussion tonight is going to be five films that defied our expectations. Now that could be positive, that could be negative, that could be we thought it was gonna be one movie and it turned out to be something completely different. It's gonna be a very interesting and weaving conversation, I can tell. So hang out after the announcements, of course, and we'll go through all of it.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, I'm looking forward to talking about it. And there's a there's at least one on my list that that a lot of people are gonna just like be like, what the hell is wrong with you? But hey, I like it.
Speaker 2: Fun fact, the person a Mama rock and Roll Wolf was also an elder Ryazanov's masterful Carnival Night and his later stationed for two nice all right. Getting into announcements, starting off with Corner Archive having one of their sales. I know a lot of people ask about the four for forty four sale coming back. It's not. Just get used to that. It's not coming back Moviesing is their new home ish movie Zing basically is like a storefront for Alliance, and they are distributor for all kinds of places. This Warner Archive sale is four titles for forty nine dollars, and then it gets a little weird if you start buying a whole bunch more so, essentially you're getting each title for twelve twenty five because shipping for four titles is seven forty six and every time you add a title, another ninety nine cents shipping goes into it. So if you get I don't know, fifty titles, you're adding forty six more dollars for shipping, even though it's not going to cost anywhere near that, which is crazy. Now. The interesting thing about here, I know a lot of us don't love promoting Amazon. I try not to. Obviously, there's some people that can only shop on Amazon, so I still sell, not sell, sell, still list those links elsewhere. But Amazon frequently is lowering the prices on Warner Archive titles to prices that make no sense. Some of these titles are like seven dollars sometimes, and they're some of the best Warner Archive releases. Now, the other side is some of these titles never go on sale, so it's kind of tricky. But if you can find titles in this sale that never go on sale elsewhere, it can be a really good deal because you're getting stuff that is usually around twenty two dollars for literally like twelve fifty thirteen to fifty. That's a great deal for pretty incredible movies. They do great restoration work, the discs are encoded very well. They don't always have a ton of extras. Sometimes they've got some, but this can be a really great sale if you like their catalog, that's for sure.
Speaker 3: I just buck four titles on the Criterion sale and then saw this one pop up, and I'm like shit and added a bunch to my car, and then I was an adult and closed the cart.
Speaker 2: That's no fun. This sale going on until March thirty first, so you still got a handful of days check it out. If you happen to get paid or something like that, it could be worth it.
Speaker 3: The other there's a lot of good stuff in there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, great, great titles. The other big thing is if you don't live in Illinois, no sales tax anywhere else, so you are basically seeing the price that's going to be after the shipping as good stuff. Next up, Imprint in Australia releasing two more of their Imprint TV titles. First one is Gidget. The complete series is from nineteen sixty five, coming on May twenty eighth on Blu Ray. I have heard this name many many times. I think this is when they announced this. I think it was the first time I ever saw any imagery from the show. Did you watch this one?
Speaker 3: Nope, for my time, And it wasn't one of the shows from that period that was in endless reruns. So there's lots of other shows kind of around that period that I've seen lots of because they were always in syndication. But yeah, I've heard of this, like you said, but I've never seen it.
Speaker 2: Same exact for me. This is gonna be a five disc release with thirty two episodes. It's got a seventy six page hardcover book in a limited edition box. Some bonuses on here, not a lot. They got the original extended pilot episode, the nineteen sixty nine TV movie that they did called Gidget Grows Up in SD featurette. But that's really about it. Not a ton on the bone for this one. But the other one is one that they're treating very well, and that is Bewich the season three and four collection. They already did season one and two. They are doing the whole series, just taking a little bit of time in between because they're putting a lot, a lot of stuff into these. So this is an eight disc set as a one hundred and forty six page hardcover book, and this has quite a few more bonus features than gidgets. We've got new audio commentaries, we've got special episodes, we've got essays, all kinds of stuff in this one. You would be witched fan.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it was fun. This was a show that was in endless syndication, So yeah, I've seen you know, for a long time. You could turn on the TV and you got to the right channel. An episode of that would be on somewhere. It's like the Law and Order of its day.
Speaker 2: This and I Dream of Genie on repeats.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, a lot of fun. It's a really fun show. I can imagine fans of the show are very happy to have this coming out.
Speaker 2: I imagine. So next up, just like I just like I guessed last week, I said that The Beyond four K would be coming back very soon because it was out of print for four days. Last Friday, they put it up for sale again and said, hey, it sold so well, here's some more without the eyeball. Yeah, this is still available exactly like I said. This is going to be available for years. They're going to have these titles from other retailers. You're gonna be able to get the four K release of The Beyond from Grindhouse Releasing pretty much for what feels like forever they own this title, you will be able to get it. Don't worry. They've done this with their Fomo game at Grindhouse every single time they release a film. It's a great movie. If you want it, It's still sixty six dollars for this. They will likely do a pared down version that has not six discs, probably three, maybe four. That's probably thirty five or forty bucks something like that always and then maybe goes on sale for like thirty on their website once a year. But yeah, this will be available forever. I just think it's hilarious that last Thursday night I said, don't worry, this will be back soon, and it wasn't even twelve hours after I said that it was available for sale again.
Speaker 3: When our stuff goes out of print, it's out of print.
Speaker 2: I've done that to you a couple of times, though, where You've asked a question and I've been spot on on the answer, and I always love doing that. Have you seen the Beyond Er any Fulchy movies ever?
Speaker 3: I don't think so. I'm not. I know it's very very popular these days, but I've never gotten into like the Italian kind of horror stuff. Like I've seen a couple that were like okay, but none of them have ever like blown my mind where I'm like, oh shit, I need to see more.
Speaker 2: I get it. Yeah, there are right, I get it. I totally get it. Uh. Next up, Target yet another one that currently don't love promoting, considering more people are boycotting them because of their choices. But if you are into Target at the moment, or just want to take advantage of a sale, because this is easier for you to purchase. They're having one of their buy to get one free sales, and they've got all kinds of titles, including a handful of deaf crocodile titles.
Speaker 3: You can currently have eight, I think eight of our titles. And the only reason I knew this is because somebody emailed us saying they had bought a title from Target and there was a scratch on the disc. I wanted to know if we would replace it, so I politely said, well, if you didn't buy it from us, then no, we can't send you a new disc. But and he had said that Target was out of stock, and I was like, well, they should get more in, So just reach out to them and say, hey, look I got a defective disc. When you get more in, I want a replacement, and he's like, cool, we'll do. But that's how I even knew our stuff wasn't Targets. I had no idea, and I certainly didn't know it was in the buy two, get one free deal. So well, yeah, so if you want to get some of our discs pretty darn cheap. There you go, because they don't go on sale usually.
Speaker 2: And they're properly priced right now. They didn't inflate the prices.
Speaker 3: That they're they're they're not even the price listed, isn't it. So is this deal based on the list of list price or the ms RP.
Speaker 2: It is what you see on the website.
Speaker 3: Okay, then yeah, so they're not even listed at MSRP. So yeah, you're getting the discounted price and then by two get one free. So that's a pretty damn good deal.
Speaker 2: And uh, for those that don't know the Target sale, it's going to end this Saturday night. It is. I believe we'll be going until midnight Pacific. It might be midnight Eastern, but either way you should be able to get it or you know, up until then, if you've never shopped one of these Target sales before, I'll point out the prices for the deaf crocodile things actually so you can understand it. So most of the deaf crocodile blues are listed at twenty two forty nine right now, and Target actually treats it right for the consumers. So if you get three titles around the same price, and we'll say they're each thirty bucks and three titles that are each around twenty two to forty nine, like the Deaf Crocodile titles, they'll go every third most expensive title is what is free, So one of the thirty dollars titles would be free and one of the twenty two to forty nine titles would be free. Instead of just we're going to take the two cheapest ones off, which is what most companies do. So it's a really good way to do these. If you get three of the Deaf Crocodile standard editions, you're literally paying forty five dollars for three, so they're fifteen dollars a piece. That's that's an incredible deal for these standard titles.
Speaker 3: Yeah A, that's literally half of the MSRPE.
Speaker 2: And you get all the same on disc content and never have to worry about any of that. It's a pretty great opportunity. The big thing is they've they've got lots of boutique stuff online. A lot of pre orders have been working all week. There are arrow preorders that are coming soon that you can still get right now in the Buy two, Get one. They've got steel books, they've got a lot of Shout factory stuff, including some box sets. They've got some vinegar syndrome stuff, not as much as they used to. They've got a few criterions, not as much as they used to. Target is pulled back quite a lot, but they've got some good things. And honestly, these are the sales where they're they're better prices than we would see at Black Friday sales right now. A couple of years ago, I would not say that. I'd say, wait till Black Friday. You can get them for eight to ten bucks.
Speaker 3: But yeah, last couple of years. But I mean I used to go crazy at Black Friday because you used to be able to get blue rays for as low as five bucks a pop. I mean, I was buying stacks of stuff in and now it's like, there aren't that really, they don't go that low, not anymore. It makes sense because there's there's sales like like literally every week there's there's a sale. Like it's kind of crazy, but yeah.
Speaker 2: You can get new or four k's right now for like fifteen dollars, which is a lot better than the thirty two that most places are charging for them. The only thing I'll say They're shipping is not the best, so be prepared for that. It's basically flimsy cardboard. They are also fulfilled by Alliance.
Speaker 3: So yeah, that that my Criterion package. I mentioned it on your Discord channel, but I have never received anything in flimsy your packaging in my entire life. It like the bottom was just the kind of like almost like a box that like you fold together and then it stays closed, but if you just pressed on and it would just open right. Yeah, like no tape, like nothing. I can't believe. I was very lucky that my four discs arrived not damaged, because it was the box was lightly thinner than paper.
Speaker 2: It was crazy, all right. That's the target. Sale ends this Saturday. Air forty four. Forty four has been announcing a couple of titles. Their next one is p Mock from twenty thirteen. This says the legendary love story of Pa Mock and his ghost wife Knack. Mock's friend just want to protect him, but his wife Knock won't let a small thing like her own death get in the way of true love in this horror comedy. This is from twenty thirteen. They're doing a blu ray of this one soon and I know nothing about this title, had never heard of it before it got announced.
Speaker 3: Yeah, unfortunately, not familiar.
Speaker 2: All right. Next up this one is Vertigo for a Killer from nineteen seventy, coming soon on Blu ray from Kino. This gets a Studio Canal four K restoration, but it's only coming on Blue at the moment. This is a French title that again I have not seen. I had heard that this one is good. This is on my list for a little bit.
Speaker 3: Cool poster, Yeah it is, and then the film is again another cool poster.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this has a great design. Nineteen ninety one is Dead Again, coming soon on four K from Keno. This is gonna have a brand new HTR master. This is the Kenneth Brana and Emma Emma Thompson film. I also got Andy Garcia, Robin Williams and the one and only newman Wayne Knight in this one.
Speaker 3: When did this come out? Originally?
Speaker 2: Ninety one?
Speaker 3: Ninety one? Okay, I was, I was nineteen. I remember seeing it in the theater, I just and and I remember liking it, but I honestly, i'm old. My brain's mush. I don't remember seeing anything about it, but it was good. I remember it being good. Yeah, that's always been a classy poster.
Speaker 2: It is. Yeah, this is one that would work like hanging up on your wall. Definitely a good one, all right. That is Keno. And then this one is interesting. Diabolic DVD posted up that they got stock of Faster Pussycat Kill Kill, the russ Meyer title on Blu Ray. Now, this is the exact same disc and packaging and everything that the russ Meyer estate had released on their own a handful of years ago. Now, they did essentially one quick printing of that a few years ago and that was it. It was gone, and pretty much day one it started selling for one hundred dollars on the second hand market, and it's been really hard to get. Diabolic DVD with little to no fanfare, announced that they got these and they are available. Jesse commented on social media by the way, that he said he would not sell these if Severn was just about to release it on four K at the moment. Does not have this coming and this was a way to get it unfortunately, which obviously this has been wanted for quite some time. This one off his tite pretty much immediately, just a few minutes after it was available. They had many copies because it was going off the shelf quite quickly unfortunately. But who knows if they're gonna get another run from the estate. Who knows if this was it, Who knows what's gonna happen. He has not deleted it from his site, so I have a feeling he might get some more. But he's not even taking orders for it at the moment. This is a big deal though. This is a title that they may just want to hold on to and every few years for release some copies of because it makes them a ton of money. Now, at the same time, you can probably make a lot more money licensing it to Severn or having it available twenty four to seven. So who knows. This is the title that a lot of people want, because this is widely known as the most famous rus Meyer title, probably one of his best two or three films, and people want this movie.
Speaker 3: Have you seen this, Craig, I've never seen it, but it's the only title that if you ask me to name a rus Meyer film, it's the only title I know.
Speaker 2: Reggie says pussy yet that should be a deaf crocodile title. True, So yeah, this will be an interesting one to follow see what happens in the future, but until now it is gone from the side. Again. Maybe it'll slightly lower the second hand prices for a little bit. Probably not.
Speaker 3: It's it's it's it's like the handful of Megapolis steel books that keep they pop up and they're gone, like they're not there for five minutes.
Speaker 2: I'm like, oh, they're not even there for one minute.
Speaker 3: Why can't you like, I don't. I mean, I'm not doing the ordering and I'm and I know these guys know what they're doing. So there's obviously a reason they can't just be like, yeah, I want two hundred copies of it, like they're just trickling in and I'm like, one day I'll.
Speaker 2: Give Yeah, what's going on? Steve Brian says Faster Puskat is not his best movie, but definitely his most famous. It's up there, definitely beyond the Valley of the Dolls up there too. Then, speaking of Severn, they announced their next round of titles. This first one and all of these actually, I should say, are going to be released in mid May if you buy them from the Severn site. If you want to wait for the wide release date that is not going to be till June twenty fourth, but the first title is coming on four K and Blu Ray and it is Doctor Who in the Dalaks from nineteen sixty five. This is the Peter Cushing film. This was already released on four K from Studio Canal over in the UK, but now you can get it here in the US. And they've got a bunch of stuff coming on the discs, many commentaries, literally three different commentaries on this film. You've got audio interviews, you've got documentaries, lots and lots for this title. And if you're Who fan and that's not enough, the Dalax Invasion Earth twenty one fifty eighty is also coming on four K and Blu ray. This is from nineteen sixty six, the other Peter Cushing a Doctor Who film and essentially the same thing. Multiple audio commentaries, lots and lots of extras on this tons of stuff coming to keep Doctor Who fans happy both four K and Blu Ray. And then if you want to get them both together, they've got this box set that they're doing. This is a total extermination the Peter Cushing Doctor Who collection. You can buy the bundle with both titles on four K with both of them on Blu Ray, or if you already have the Studio Canal titles, or you just want to get it and save up for the titles for later, you can also just buy the cardboard box itself that the titles go with. It's a good idea. I'm glad they're doing.
Speaker 3: It.
Speaker 2: Gives everybody the freedom of choice. That is a good thing.
Speaker 3: What are you so you could put the bfive discs in the mosque? I guess is the idea.
Speaker 2: Hopefully they fit. But also the big thing is if you don't want to buy the titles, and this thing is I think it was like five bucks. So if you want to get the box and then save up for the titles later, that way you know that you're going to have the box in case it goes out of print.
Speaker 3: Options are good.
Speaker 2: It's a good way to get it for free.
Speaker 3: And I I had no idea that Peter Cushing start in to Doctor Who movies.
Speaker 2: Doctor Who is such an old legacy.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's it's you know, I know it's got a huge fan base. Peter Cushing has a huge fan base. So I've never, like I said, didn't know they existed, so obviously I haven't seen them, but do they get people like them?
Speaker 2: As far as I can tell, yes, there. I don't remember how it works because they're not considered cannon to the specific storyline. I think like Cushing is playing Doctor Who, but he's not technically a doctor. I don't know how it all works. I don't know the history of the Lord with the Doctor Who thing.
Speaker 3: I'm curious, I'm interested, I'm curious. I'm not a huge Doctor Who fan. I've seen a few things that were kind of fun, a few things that were pretty stupid, but Peter Cushing's usually pretty great.
Speaker 2: So I would just be worried in twenty twenty five of suddenly going, you know what, I like Doctor Who. I'm gonna watch it all, and there's so much of it that you would just be buried.
Speaker 3: I don't think I have to worry about that happening.
Speaker 2: All right. Next from Severn, their film Jack the Ripper from nineteen fifty nine is getting a four K upgrade. This is pretty interesting decisions. This is a good movie. Glad they're doing it. It's coming as a four K and Blu Ray double pack. The extras appear to be all the same, I believe from what they've done previously. But now in case you missed out on the slip case, you can get that on the four K. Looks like a solid release of the film. I'm sure to look beautiful.
Speaker 3: Good for me too, I'm assuming that's the slipcover.
Speaker 2: That is the slipcover.
Speaker 3: Yes, I do like they I love that they had the courage to just do a single striking image with no text like kudos.
Speaker 2: It's a good choice for this one. Uh. Then they are also doing Unknown World from nineteen fifty one. This is a Cold War variation on Journey to the Center of the Earth. This has a single disc release. We had an audio commentary with film writer that you know, mister Stephen R. Bessett, good guy.
Speaker 3: He did the commentary, said yes, his commentaries are really great.
Speaker 2: He also did a visual essay for it.
Speaker 3: Well, they doubled down, and knowing Stephen, there's probably not a word that that is the same in the two, like, not at all. Yeah, he will, he will go the extra mile and so there's no you're not going to be like, oh I watched one and I don't need to listen to the other. It's going to be different. Information almost guaranteed Yeah, he's that kind of guy.
Speaker 2: On top of that, the visual essays talking about special effects maestros of the nineteen fifties, So I guarantee the audio commentary is all focused on the film, and then the visual essays about a whole bunch of other special effects maestros that you would love. H Cloud wants to know. Is this the same Jack the Ripper movie that came in a CD ROM sleeve? I got that from some release I bought from them, but I can't remember how are why? Maybe as a free surprise they were selling that single CD ROM which, yes, it is the same Jack the Ripper. It was for sale for like five bucks as an add on during I think it was a halfway to Black Friday sale in like twenty twenty one. Guaranteed this was nowhere near their radar that they were ever going to do it on four K. I think they had just barely done their first four K, so they were just basically given that disc away. Yeah it's been a while, but yeah, same film, same exact film. And then as usual for seven if you'd like, they've got a bundle. You can get a bundle with everything, and it's one hundred and ten dollars and with that you get three films on four K and then the fourth on Blu ray. You get the slip covers, you get everything that you might want. Next up, The Brutalist from last year is getting a release in the UK on four K and Blu ray from Spirit Entertainment and Universal. This is coming on April twenty eighth, so pretty soon now. So we'll have a four K SDR presentation of the film, which is the same as in the US. It's got a bunch of subtitles on it, but no listing of extras unfortunately, but you can get the film on four K in the UK.
Speaker 3: This was on my list of I wanted to see last year and didn't get to see. Did you see this?
Speaker 2: I can't get through it. I've watched about the first hour and I got to be honest, I don't love it yet. I've had to work a lot of other things.
Speaker 3: It gets a lot of hate, but I've never really heard anybody, which is usually the case when things get a lot of hate. Can you explain why you hate it?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 3: No, it's stupid. That's not an answer for me.
Speaker 2: It was very slow paced for a three and a half hour film. I can really appreciate why Adrian Brodie got the oscar though he is He's incredible. He literally is the character that he was trying to be. So well.
Speaker 3: The thing that intrigued me is I heard an NPR review. They were talking about it when it came out, and they said that it feels so real you kind of forget this isn't a documentary. Yeah, you think like these are real characters. These characters are real people that really lived that not so much it in maybe a documentary, but a biopic. They're like, it feels like a biopic, but these people aren't real, right, And I was like, oh, that sounds really interesting. Somehow I need to find I don't have time to watch one movie, and this one's long, so I would like to I would like to see it.
Speaker 2: Thankfully they took down the fifteen minute Intermission's only one minute on the disc, so you can save some time.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and I like long, slow movies, which we'll we'll discuss after the after the releases.
Speaker 2: Yes, Dustin, I'm trying to get through the whole thing, I promise, Ben says. The first half is grounded in realism and the second half sort of becomes a melodrama. I know a lot of people hated act too. That's interesting. I don't think i've heard it stated like that. Thanks Ben, Gary. It's odd for almost half as long as an episode of this show. Well, I'll say this, the Brutalist will probably beat us tonight. I don't think we're gonna go three and a half hours tonight.
Speaker 3: Although we're coming. I think fifty seven says fifty seven sixteen. Yeah, I think we just crossed Adrian Brody's acceptance speech time though.
Speaker 2: That was pretty good. Colton says that Brody should have won a raz you for that acceptance speech.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So the next one, RLJE Films is putting out a four K of When Evil Lurks on June third. This is only going to have a behind the scenes photo gallery and subtitles. Love this movie. I'm glad it's getting a four K. Interesting choice to just randomly do it, like, I don't know, seven months after the Blu ray.
Speaker 3: But what's the tiny text there that I can't read?
Speaker 2: The tiny text there says there's no point in praying.
Speaker 3: I know this is being a really nitpicky. That's a really good cover. That text is distracting, and when you read it to me, it adds nothing.
Speaker 2: The hard part, I don't think that text is going to be on the cover. This is just the theatrical poster.
Speaker 3: Okay, well yeah, it's a terrific poster. You could lose that text. It's just distracting from the image.
Speaker 2: I agree. I agree. And this is the thing that I've laughed at everybody saying when they put this film out. The title is not on the spine on the Blu ray, and so people are asking, well, the four K at least have the title on it.
Speaker 3: The title on the spine.
Speaker 2: Not at all. It is a blank red spine.
Speaker 3: I wonder if that's an oops or a I can't imagine that would be intentional. That's weird, it is.
Speaker 2: It is a weird choice. That being said, I fucking love this movie. If you've never given one Evil Lurks a chance, it is a modern folk core tale in southern South America, and it's acted incredibly. It is a really fun story. It's got some great effects, some really incredible kills, and it's it just it goes there. It's so good.
Speaker 3: Is it a spoiler for me to ask? Is she about to whack herself in the head with that acts.
Speaker 2: I don't think so because it was in the trailer, but yes, and not just once. It is an incredible scene. Incredible all right.
Speaker 3: Yeah that just even knowing that, I'm like, that's disturbing.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Fun City Editions is putting out Breaking Glass. I don't know why that says twenty twenty three. This film is not from twenty twenty three, just from nineteen eighty. This is going to be exclusive for the slipcover to the Fun City Way website and Diabolic DVD. They have announced that this is going to have a new video interview with the producer on this, new visual essay by Chris O'Neil, new audio commentary by Mark Edward Hook and a booklet with new essay by Margaret Barton FuMO. And this is supposedly amazing. I've never been able to get this, but as we talked about a couple of weeks ago, this will have the long wanted UK cut that has not been able to be seen in the US forever. This is literally the worldwide Blu ray premiere of this version of the film and Fun City Killing It. I will say there's.
Speaker 3: A rumor Fun City does some great releases.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there is a rumor BFI might be doing this soon in the UK. So if you are a UK or a europe residence, you might want to hold out on trying to import this if you're dying to see this. But that being said, if you want to get.
Speaker 3: It, I am gonna just reveal how just complet letely immature I am. Based on the artwork and the title, I kind of thought it said breaking gas at first, just kind of the position she's in and legs up and the legs up, Yeah, I get scattering the glass behind her. Yeah, little bit, I'm a child. I'll admit it.
Speaker 2: I see it. It's definitely worth it. I will say another frustrating thing about Fun City. Who I love Jonathan, You're incredible. We'd love to work with these. Send me a message. This whole street date to be determined is really frustrating. If you're putting out a film, you should know about when you're expecting to have it available for people, even if it's just a window of hey, this will ship by late June. Even if you get in early June, you're making people happy. You could at least say that if people are if you're wanting people to pre order. It doesn't do well for you for for people that want to know what they're buying and when they're going to get it.
Speaker 3: It does make a pre order a little hard if it could come out in a month or six months, right, and has it been? Has it? I mean, has there been a fairly consistent release pattern? Like yeah, well, I'm not giving you the date, but if you look back, you're like, yeah, it's like every month, every two months, Like.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it seems like he's announcing stuff about two months before the release date, two and a half months something like that. But if that's consistent, you should be able to like, tell us this comes out by June fifteenth.
Speaker 3: I get. I get both sides because we've we've got some dates that we like to be solid with dates, but we got some releases coming up to I'm a little bhind.
Speaker 2: So too on your releases. I'm sorry, there's just a lot going on. Hey, we talked about this one. I believe it was last week April twenty eighth. Over in the UK, you can also pre order the Tombstone four K steel book. This is up for pre order now. You can pick this up over on Amazon UK should have everything the exact same as the US release of this, and I'm sure it will look much better than the widely known terrible Blu ray.
Speaker 3: There's something about this film. Part of me feels like it's cheesy, but then I watch it and I love it so much. I'm like, it's not cheesy, is it? I think it's Kurt Russell. Kurt Russell. I love Kurt Russell, but there's always a a sliver of like, it feels like there's a little tongue in cheek no matter how straight he's playing something. Maybe I'm crazy, I don't know, but it's all about this movie is all about l Kilmer's performance anyway, so who cares.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I was about to say, I think Val Kilmer kind of overruns anything.
Speaker 3: Absolutely, like just stunningly good in this movie. And that's a pretty good looking Steel Books.
Speaker 2: So yeah, it's nice art. Kurt Russell and Val Kilmer actually look like themselves.
Speaker 3: They do, and Sam Elliott does too. Yeah, true, true, Yeah, need I need to get this one. I don't buy a lot of steel books, but I love the movie and I love the art. That's kind of the reason I would buy a steel book.
Speaker 2: I get it for this one. The odd part is the pre order on Amazon right now is very high. That's not odd, Dissey sucks lately. The pre order is listed at fifty five bucks.
Speaker 3: Just that would explain why I haven't ordered it yet.
Speaker 2: That being said, it was up for pre order on Target earlier today just for forty one dollars, so I'm thinking forty one is probably a lot closer to the The actual release price.
Speaker 3: Of this forty one is even it's high.
Speaker 2: Still, it's the Disney touch. They are screwing everything over.
Speaker 3: Well maybe I won't get it.
Speaker 2: I get it, hey, Mermaid Legend. This just got to release over in the UK from Third Window Films. This is the third and final of the three announcements from Air forty four to forty four. This says after a woman is framed for the murder of her fisherman husband, she seeks out a bloody revenge on the corrupt businessman responsible. Now the hard part this is gonna be first of all, the exact same qualities the Third Window release as far as the film itself, But for those that don't know, inherent to the film itself, this movie is censored for like eleven minutes straight, just straight on the camera negative. There is a I believe it's a black bar hiding most of the nudity near the final act of this film. So just keep that in mind.
Speaker 3: And I know I harp on artwork a lot. Please tell me that's not the actual artwork.
Speaker 2: This is the theatrical poster Air forty four. Forty four will have some wild artwork coming up soon, I'm sure.
Speaker 3: Okay, so that the original theatrical release had that poster and censoring centered on the negative.
Speaker 2: On the negative.
Speaker 3: Ouch.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, can't wait to hear what you say about this, mister Craig. We are getting a James Bond Sean Connery sixth film, four K steelbook Library collection. They are also getting a standard release of that, so you don't have to get steel books for these. But if you want one of those fancy big steel cases with the steel book for every single film, you can pre order that. Now you can pre order the standard. They're doing a Connery. I'm just gonna guess right now, they're gonna do one for every Bond. It only makes sense to put them all out like that, to have them all match. This is a big deal. This is probably the most womanizing James Bond. So if that's your thing, get on it. Uh are you a Bond guy?
Speaker 3: My huge Bond guy, And it's it's it's unfortunate. I understand licensing owners rights, blah blah blah, but it just seems fucked up to put out a Sean Connery Bond set and you don't have all the Bondery films, because yeah, the Bonnery films Bondery because yeah, never say never again. Weirdly, I know it's a kind of a remake and it's not from the Broccoli family, but personally, I was introduced to Bond with Roger Moore films, right, and my stepfather when this film came out, I think it was eighty two.
Speaker 2: Maybe this is about six different films, so yeah.
Speaker 3: But I was I was young, and he was very excited that there was a new Sean Connery James Bond film coming out, and he took me to the theater to show me the real James Bond, because obviously he was older and grew up with Sean Connery, and I absolutely freaking loved it. So that particular film is as a special place in my heart, and it's not in the Sean Connery BUCKX set, which's like, just pay the freaking rights and put it in the set. Yeah, well yeah, and then as far as the steel books go, like they're pre selling it, but you don't even know what you're buying, right, there's no artwork.
Speaker 2: You don't know any art there's not even a release date available yet. No, no, just no. And the crazy thing is because it's.
Speaker 3: That's your money, we promise we'll send you something maybe.
Speaker 2: I mean, look at what they did with the seven What's in the Box edition? Warner Brothers canceled it, so who knows this could get canceled too.
Speaker 3: And you said a steel box collection is usually a steel box with steel boxes.
Speaker 2: In it, So this is a steel book library collection. So yes, it is a steel it will fit on your shelf. It is a giant steel box with foam inserts between a steel book for every single film pass.
Speaker 3: That's just too much, that's just too silly, Like that's that's buying packaging over the films, and it's the films I love. So you said their four k's are coming out for their new nice beautiful four K new restorations on four K disks. I will happily buy those now.
Speaker 2: And that's the hard part. I don't want to like shit on this or anything. For those that love James Bond. I'm sure they're gonna be great. I'm not saying this is the case. But we don't even know anything about the restorations. We don't know if these got new restorations. We don't know how good they're gonna look. These could just be it's Amazon that owns them now, so it could.
Speaker 3: Just mean yeah, they could. They could. They could have watched them, I guess, because I knew people that were working on the Lowry restorations back in God when when did they do those? A long time ago? At least like twelve or thirteen years, it was a long time ago, and so yeah, it's been a long time. So I'm pretty sure they scanned all that stuff at four K, so I'm sure, yeah, But they they did all those at HD, so then they did it the Lowry way, which has since been quite poop pooed on with other advanced grain management. So yeah, it'll be interesting to see. But if these are new four K restorations from four K scans, that you don't manage the ship out of grain then you don't use AI cleanup software and and just set it and forget it, which again i'll say it here again, I would kill for some fantastic AI restoration software. But you don't just press a button and then say it's done, like you go back and you fix the things it's screwed up. Which it's weird that's not been happening like somehow they've sold these companies on Yeah, it's a set it and forget it. It's like the Ronco film restoration. You don't have to do anything. It's like no, not if you want it done right. But yeah, AI software could could revolutionize film restoration if it's done properly right. So I'm very excited. I'm a huge James Bond fan. So I've bought all those previous Blu rays and I will buy them all again in four king. They're not garbage.
Speaker 2: Well, at least you'll be able to get them in a regular case as well as the steel book if you want. Yes. Next one to one Films in the UK on May twenty sixth, as part of their Black Label series, is putting out a Blu ray of Stuart Gordon's Castle Freak from nineteen ninety five, one of my favorite. Gordon's love this movie. It is really great. I'm glad to see it getting some nice special attention. This gets a new interview with Richard Band. We had a new interview with Barbara Crampton on here. There's also an interview with Chris Alexander, who does the Delirium magazine and supposedly helping with the Delirium home video stuff coming up, plus some archival extras. Don't expect this to look any better than the Full Moon Blu Ray or anything like that, but this is probably the fanciest release of Castle Freak we will ever get. That. Being said, full it's Charles Band running Full Moon, so who knows they could theoretically put out a four K at some point if they are feeling squirrely. But this is a pretty great release for a movie that gets overlooked a lot. So hey, check it out if you want, because this movie is great. Have you seen this one? Are you much of a Full Moon person?
Speaker 3: I'm familiar at all.
Speaker 2: That's what I thought. Awesome. Hey, Eureka announce the titles today. First is June sixteenth in the UK, June seventeenth in North America. On Blu Ray and that is Hong Kong nineteen forty one. That's the name of the title, and it is from nineteen eighty four.
Speaker 3: I no idea what that is, but that cover art completely sells me.
Speaker 2: It's a good looking cover for sure, absolutely looks good. Produced by Samuel Hung, and you've got a young Chow Yun fat in this. We've got a new commentary by Frank Jing, new visual essay by Tony Rains, some of archival interviews. Looks like a really solid release for them.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that looks really cool and sounds really cool.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I've heard this is good. Next up is a Shaw Brothers title, and that is The Eunuch and the Deadly Knives. These are from nineteen seventy one nineteen seventy two, coming on June sixteenth in the UK, June seventeenth in North America. God, Shaw Brothers titles are everywhere, kind of crazy. It is so wild happening, like every.
Speaker 3: Label has their own whole like ongoing series of Shaw Brothers releases.
Speaker 2: Yep, and this is a part of Eureka Klass.
Speaker 3: Big announcement from Deaf Crocodile.
Speaker 2: We've got a new commentary on the Eunuch by Mike Leader and Arna Venmma, who are on the Deaf Crocodile title. We talked about earlier new commentary on The Deadly Knives by Frank Jang, and it looks to be a solid double feature again Shaw Brothers stuff. Never seen these two. A lot of the Show Brothers titles getting released now are we'll say, not like the most well known titles. So I'm eager to check some more of these out. Most of the Shop Brothers and stuff that's come out has been pretty good.
Speaker 3: I know I keep commenting on cover our work, but for a double feature, they did a really nice job on that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's a it's not.
Speaker 3: Easy to pull off good artwork for more than one film on a disc.
Speaker 2: That is very true, especially with that going on two sides of the slipcover.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's that's that's a really nice job.
Speaker 2: And finally from them the one that we had a question about earlier, Heart of Stone from nineteen fifty. This is coming in the UK only on Blu Ray on June twenty third. This is directed by Paul Verhoven, but not that Paul Verhoven. Obviously it's nineteen fifty. This is a DEFA film, and this is going to have We've got Heart of Stone, some DEFA fairy tale films. We've got a two K restoration on this from the OCN. We've got a new commentary by defense historian Sean Allen, new interview with Soviet cinema expert Claire Knight, new visual essay by Mary Going, some shorts and a handful of shorts. Actually, this is a pretty loaded disc if you are into a title like this. Glad this is getting a release, and I hope that we can see this as part of a Deaf Crocodile release maybe someday.
Speaker 3: I'm curious to know how many people are going to buy that thinking it is the Paul Verhoven they're thinking of, right, right, Because I mean, one of the chances there's two people named Paul Verhoven and they're both film directors.
Speaker 2: That is a good question, especially and they're both from Europe.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's kind of wild.
Speaker 2: This also, I gotta say, really attracted to this art. This is really well done. It's nice. Colton says Deaf Crocodile would do wonderfully with the show Brothers fantasy films from earlier in the studio's history, so people are asking for it, Graig.
Speaker 3: I'm I'm sure somebody has already licensed them.
Speaker 2: You got to get a Shop Brothers deal. There's like eight and seventy five more titles that have not been released. You can get some of them.
Speaker 3: Well that I think the Shop Brothers are well covered. With everybody else. We've got, we've got, We've got stuff lined up all the way into like mid twenty twenty six already, like we're we're good.
Speaker 2: Okay, you heard it here. First expect a release of early fantasy Shop brother stuff from Death Crocodile in twenty twenty nine. Speaking of sales, like we did earlier, the March Madness sale over at Keno Lber has launched today. For the first and ninety minutes, it was a terrible vaunt to the finish line to try to check out here. It has calmed down and there are quite a lot of great titles up for sale this time. This is the new normal, with free shipping at sixty dollars rather than the fifty dollars that it was a couple of sales ago. This sale also is it's not a short sale. This is going to be on sale until April twenty first, So you've got a whole nother three and a half weeks to shop over at the Keno site.
Speaker 3: When did the sale start this afternoon? So the March Madness sale started March twenty seventh and runs all of April.
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, literally, yes makes sense. Some really great stuff on sale. One thing I will say. Keno was asked if there were going to be more titles added to their wild supplies last sale, and they said yes, that will be next weekend. So if you wanted to wait until those got added and combine it all to one purchase, you may want to wait until next weekend to purchase. That being said, I know through these sales a lot of slipcovers sell out pretty quickly, so if you were looking for that, if there's a couple of titles you wanted for those, you may want to get those earlier than next weekend. But I mean, with the prices and with the stuff that is currently on sale, I don't see a lot of them selling out much anytime soon.
Speaker 3: This is another shale that this popped up right after Criterion.
Speaker 2: Mike, Sorry, well you got three and a half weeks.
Speaker 3: True, that is true. I've got all next month.
Speaker 2: The Great Yiddish Cinema Set is only sixteen ninety nine in the sales, says Ronnie, that's a good choice. Kenot's biggest annoucement the year so far as Night are the Juggler. That's that's probably up there. And then a question from Kira Craig, any chance you could release some Serio Santiago films that have never had a disc release.
Speaker 3: I'm not familiar with that name, so send us an email with your suggestions.
Speaker 2: Go to the website there is a suggestions box essentially which.
Speaker 3: We've We've literally got multiple films in our schedule now that came directly from people sending us their wish lists, film films we probably otherwise wouldn't have known about. But yeah, we strongly encourage people to send us their wish lists. We love getting.
Speaker 2: Them all right, almost done, let's see, Peter says as a mirror. Does it seem like the solid releases are finally starting to dwindle at least for now? Is that just on the keynot salor we saying overall because if it's overall, not really, I mean, it's just a slow announcement week, but it's one slow week in a sea of crazy weeks, and even then Tonight had some great stuff to talk about. Anyways, speaking of great stuff, le chat coiff Fume, also known as the Smoking Cat over in France, announced that they are putting out A Woman Possessed an Erotic Witchcraft from nineteen seventy five seventy two. I normally don't cover the Smoking Cat releases because they're generally not English friendly. However, I happen to know and got permission to share, that there are US releases planned for these two films coming in twenty twenty six. So I know a lot of people have wanted these titles because this director is pretty well known. However, if you want to hold out for something that will be much more English friendly, you should be able to pre order the worse. Pre order those in twenty twenty six and they will be in your hands in twenty twenty six. Good looking stuff and decent posters on both of them. I really like this one. Old school, yes, very old school, but that is it. That is all of this week's announcements. We are ooh and yeah, Peter saying overall releases. Maybe it's just me. Keep in mind, this is the Calumn Before the Storm Tomorrow, We've got Deaf Crocodile titles up for sale. We've got Erow titles up for sale this weekend. We've got Shout Factory coming on Monday. We've got Terror Vision titles coming on Monday. We've got Ocean announcements on whatever the first is is that Tuesday. I think it's about to be a really busy week for brand new announcements.
Speaker 3: Believe me, that's what I should do. April first, we should put out a press release that we're putting out one hundred film show Brothers set.
Speaker 2: Some people would be very excited, and for those that aren't, I'm sorry. Let's go to what's coming out next week, just in case you forgot, since we always cover this next week. Companion four K, A complete unknown four K Who Gets You four K? From Criterion, The Summer Wars four K Steel Book from Shout and g Kids. Shoplifters, the Coreeta film finally getting a Blu ray release.
Speaker 3: Have you seen Shoplifters? I heard that was very good.
Speaker 2: I have not. I was hoping that it was available to get sooner than this, but it just started shipping from Orbit. I'd wanted to see it. I will be watching it soon.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that was very good.
Speaker 2: Then we got Renfield four K from a screen factory, Mufasa four K from Disney, and Glorious Bastards Standard four K, The Meboose Lives set from Eureka, Love Hurts four K in the States, dog Man on Blu Ray, the Renfield four K Steel Book, the hilarious Flight Risk Steel Book.
Speaker 3: Can't why that Renfield steel book artwork is very cool.
Speaker 2: I mean I really like it with how they're hearkening back to the old it only.
Speaker 3: It only checks off one of the boxes though, because the film wasn't very good. It was it was entertained, it was okay, and then really kind of fell apart at the end. I don't think it ever reached like, oh wow, this is great.
Speaker 2: Right yeah, Flight Ricks four K Steel Book, which reveals Wahlberg's hilarious hairstyle in that film. We were talking about James Bond. If you want the supposedly really great series icons on Earthed, the James Bond episode series. Whatever they're doing, it's it's many hours long. That's available for Mill Creek next week one of them days. I I've not been able to see that yet, but I am dying to one of my most anticipated from the last handful of months, Please Don't Destroy the Treasure of Foggy Mountain is coming out from Shout Factory. Merry Go Round from flick Rally, The Bloody Lady at Arbelos is finally going to be shipping Liza from Keno Larber Harbin is coming from wellg USA on four k Burke and Hare from Keno Larber love me another one. I've been really interested in seeing that one with Kristin Stewart and Stephen Yune finally getting released, Lighthouse from Filmmasters, and those are the big ones. Any of those you're ankering for there, if it's an off week, I totally get it. Yeah.
Speaker 3: And Glorious Bastards I feel like should be in my collection.
Speaker 2: Yeah, speaking of it, I think it today or yesterday was a Tarantino's birthday.
Speaker 3: Well, happy birthday, Crazy.
Speaker 2: He's definitely a viewer, so yes, happy Quentin. I forgot.
Speaker 3: I know we're going to rewind an hour and ten minutes, fifteen minutes. I did watch a movie. I finally saw the Djengo. Oh okay, Tarantino, I have heard about it for so many years. Finally bought the disc, popped it in, and first ten to fifteen minutes I was like, this is a bad knockoff of a Sergio Leoni movie. Then as it kept going, I was like, Okay, it's still definitely a knockoff of a Sergiolioni movie. But then it was also like the most Tarantino movie I think I've ever seen that he didn't actually direct. I mean, I know he lifts from a lot, lot of movies, but Jesus, like that movie is like if you had just said yep, directed by Tarantino at the end, I would have bought it.
Speaker 2: Are we talking about Jingo and Chained?
Speaker 3: No, no, no, not Tarantino's film, the the old Oh gosh yeah, yeah, I okay, the actual Jingo.
Speaker 2: Oh that's right. You watch the ear four K.
Speaker 3: Yeah it was.
Speaker 2: It was fun.
Speaker 3: It was It was a lot of fun.
Speaker 2: I loved that movie.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I can I can see where it's clearly a favorite of mister Tarantino's.
Speaker 2: I mean, when you opened the film with this intimidating guy dragging a coffin through it's a great open, craziest terrain.
Speaker 3: It is a great opening, incredible Uh yeah, but it was a lot of fun, but it would it would be interesting to be like, how how would Leoni have directed that film? Like because it's it's I actually looked. I was like watching it and I looked like when did the Leonian films come out? I'm like, yeah, okay, they were before this, right, very obviously, but yeah I did. I did actually watch one of my discs. Finally, how'd you feel about the four K look good? The uh?
Speaker 2: I was?
Speaker 3: It was? It defaulted to English dub and honestly, about five I think I made I don't even think I made it ten minutes right and I checked. I'm like, if this doesn't have the original language and subtitles, I'm not going to watch this. The dub was so so awful. So yeah, if you have it, for the love of God, watch it in the original language with subtitles.
Speaker 2: I I was going to complain to you. I went to watch Fella Day a couple of weeks ago and it didn't default to the English dub. Can you tell me why? I'm just kidding. Yeah, I will always prefer the original audio over the dubs. I can't. I can't listen to the dubs. They're so bad.
Speaker 3: I'm just a little surprised that it defaulted to the dub like default of the original, Like the dub could be optional, it shouldn't be. That shouldn't be the default. Why would it default be like not the original film.
Speaker 2: Not the originally right, Yeah, it's a good question. Stupid, it's weird. All right, On to our topic at hand tonight, in general, we're we're gonna be talking about films that defied our expectations, Craig, what makes you feel set up for a film? You? Are you somebody that tries to avoid trailers? Are you somebody that you you know, you've heard about a film for so long and you've built it up in your mind, and you'll be let down if it's not exactly what it could live up to.
Speaker 3: I used to love watching trailers, and I'm sure a lot of people did, and there's probably still people did still do, But like, I could waste a lot of time online just watching trailer after trailer after trailer. But trailers have gotten so bad's the right word. They're almost all the same now, regardless of what the film is.
Speaker 2: Like.
Speaker 3: I've seen I've seen movies that were made for like young adults and I've seen action movies and I've seen even like dramas that all have the same like driving drum beats, like you know, just it's this intense hammering like music. And I was like, this is what, Like, I don't like it doesn't matter what gree they are all exactly the same. And then apparently all the people that edit these poor things, like I feel bad for these guys, and I say, guys, guys, women, whoever's doing the editing of these trailers, because they've clearly been given the edict of like you need to tell the entire story of the film right in under two and a half to three minutes, were like don't miss a beat, Like the entire film needs to be covered. Everyone needs to know exactly what this film is. And I just hated that there's like I don't want the entire film explained to me. And I don't want, you know, a children's film given to me with the same intensity as like the next Michael Bay action film, right, Like what.
Speaker 2: The fuck part all of them with the same uh you know, different cover cover song of some old pop yeah whatever.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they've become so generic, like they don't they make me not want to see movies. I get that they do the exact opposite of what they're supposed to be doing.
Speaker 2: That being said, I feel like in the last year we've actually seen a couple of really great examples that make the bad ones stand out even more. I'll throw out the twenty eight years Later trailer that we.
Speaker 3: Got was I avoid them now, so I haven't seen most of anything.
Speaker 2: I will say that was maybe like one of the best trailers ever made. I thought it was incredible. Just today we got a trailer for the next Paul Thomas Anderson film. The trailer itself not coherent in any way. They're not giving us the plot.
Speaker 3: I'll have to check it out.
Speaker 2: It looks really good. I'm kind of impressed with it. That being said, everybody needs to go to the theater to see it because it is by far his most expensive film. Supposedly he's got to make like three hundred million on it or it will lose money, which all of his movies have lost money.
Speaker 3: So that's not Paul Thomas Anderson film. They gave him that kind of budget. Yeah, awards, he doesn't win box office Uh.
Speaker 2: This is the most mainstream looking pta film ever and it looks like he's gonna.
Speaker 3: Check it out. I know nothing about it. I'll have to check out the trailer.
Speaker 2: It looks like he's gonna show some like blockbuster directors what you should be doing with the movie, which is.
Speaker 3: Nice, well honestly a lot. I mean you're talking about like the MCU stuff. Like I feel again like the editors for the trailers. I feel bad for the directors they hire to do these things because they're not allowed to direct anything. They're like those things are dictated by the producers to the nth degree. It's crazy, and they need to let They need to let go because people are getting tired of seeing the same film over and over and over again. Like the one of the coolest things that that Marvel's put out in the last couple of years was that Werewolf by Night that was on the Disney Plus because it's completely different, Like they let whoever, you know, I can't remember who who made it, but they let that person just do what they wanted and it's so cool.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I agree.
Speaker 3: He had had trailers. They used to get me excited to go to movies. Now now it's mostly word of mouth. If you say it's good, then I'm interested.
Speaker 2: I mean, for the most part, I agree. I don't know. I long for the days. I don't know if this is a shared experience for many people. But in two thousand and seven, sitting in a very slow computer, barely loading like four ADP trailers on Apple Music or not Apple Music, Apple trailers, Yeah it.
Speaker 3: Was Apple trailers.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: You used to sit there and you could just go one after.
Speaker 2: The other five hours.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so and each one was different.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that was That was a really good time for trailers. I was really happy back then. I was so glad that we could get some good ones and it got me excited. And of course many of these were films that would completely be different than the trailer that we saw, and so it's gonna be fun conversations. Now.
Speaker 3: That was the other thing. I you at least don't have that anymore. Like you you watch a trailer today, you know exactly what you're going to see because they've showed you the whole thing. They did used to trick people back in the day, where they'd show you a trailer that could be a fantastic trailer, and then you went to see the movie and you're like, that was not the movie.
Speaker 2: What about how the last couple of years they've been hiding musicals in the trailers.
Speaker 3: Olie, that's just that's just cruel.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's pretty funny. Yeah, all five of these tonight, for each of us, could have a completely different reason why they defied our expectations. Can't wait to hear what you get into for these, So why don't we share your first one?
Speaker 3: All right? So the idea behind this was not just films that like, they weren't what you were expecting, but they they might have beyond not being what you expected, they kind of opened your mind to what you even expect. The movie can be go to our bed. I've seen some experimental stuff and I'm like, yes, I guess some people call that a movie, which I know I'm being small minded. I can't love everything. But well, the first thing I came to mind immediately was there's a couple here that I actually worked on. So this one was Funeral Parade of Roses m I and I've got I don't have these in any order, so, but it was made by an experimental filmmaker, and some of his experimental films I still don't understand. But he made this feature that is it's almost undefinable. It's at least four different genres, you know, comedy, melodrama, documentary, horror film. It's just it's all over the place, and it all works with one of the most fantastic endings you do not see coming. And I just I still to this day remember my reaction when I first saw it, because I was sitting at my desk watching it before we were starting the restoration, and it holds you because you don't know where it's going to go next. And then the big reveal at the end. Literally I sat back in my chair. I was like, holy shit, Like I did not see that coming. That is so freaking amazing. So it's a film that I went into kind of. It's described as like a gay film, and it's made by an experimental filmmaker, two things that generally aren't my favorites. A lot of quote unquote gay films are they've got a gay subject matter, but then they're horribly made movies, right, So like, okay, great, it's gonna be a bad movie made by an experimental filmmaker. And that was not what it was. Well, that's not what it was at all. It was spectacular. Everything about it is just perfection. The cinematography is gorgeous. The fact that in the middle of the film, it will jump out of the film and they're interviewing the actors, asking them about acting in the film or what it's like to be gay. You're like, wait a second, I was just watching a movie. Now it's a documentary. What's going on? It's it's an incredible movie. Super proud to have been able to to work on the restoration of it. But that's the first film that came to mind when I suggested this, So it's just the first one I wrote down on my notes. So yeah, so keeping keeping your be willing to see something you don't necessarily either think you're gonna like or you don't know what it is you're getting into. And that goes for not just movies, that's everything, Like, yeah, you know, be willing to experience something new, Like sure you might not like it, but it's not going to kill you and there's a good chance you're gonna be blown away and be like, holy shit, I that's you know, my mind has been expanded. Like that should be a life goal.
Speaker 2: So Craig's first pick was Funeral Prayed of roses Mine. This is one that has just not left in my mind. This is gonna be silly, because I talked about this as a recent watch just a couple of weeks ago, but I kind of wanted to go into it a little bit more. So I'm gonna go with a movie that blew me away, Henry Gamble's Birthday Party. And I was watching this because I was working on another project with somebody, and the films that they usually like are indie usually decent stories, but not great acting, something that you would see at a festival and then probably never see again, never give a second thought to the film itself. The biggest names in the movie are Pat Healy, who is playing a pastor, not something I ever expected in film, and then the other big name is Joe Keery from Stranger Things. And Henry Gamble's Birthday Party takes the youth group culture of two thousand and eight all the way through like twenty sixteen, of very American white Baptist style Christian youth group culture and elevates it into a way that I've never seen realistically put into any single art form. And I got to be honest, about three minutes into this movie, I thought this was gonna suck. I thought that they were going to do some things to be edgy on purpose, just to show like, oh yeah, some of these people are sinners. Whatever. No, this movie rules Henry Gamble's birthday party. It shows like a modern side of youth culture that is really hard to capture on film in a really unique way. It is empathetic to other kinds of lifestyles, understanding that a lot of people that are going to these youth group cultures aren't necessarily going because they're religious, but because they want to be accepted. And there are certain characters that are showing fluidity with their sexuality. There are characters that are struggling with literally suicidal ideation. There are individuals that are accepting of everybody around them in a church setting. So people like that can and do exist. They're just not the loud ones. Usually it is a view of people that are not given enough light. And this film blew me away as somebody that was raised in a church, raised in youth group culture, fell in love with my wife through youth group married to the person that I love now because of our history with the church, and I was just completely taken with this film. It is well made. It takes place over one day. It is beautifully shot, incredibly acted, and you have likely never heard of this this movie other than never heard of me talking about it, or I guess Celeste watched it recently as well. Celest When I when I posted that I had seen this, Celeste was like, how did you even find this movie? It's incredible. People need to go check it out. It's it's a beautiful story.
Speaker 3: We probably should add links into the description of this thing. And when we're done to all these, probably because I know every every every week, I'm just like, oh, that sounds amazing. I mean, if you had a link there, that's make it super easy to go click.
Speaker 2: I've tried to do that. I will do this here. I will throw up letterbox links in the live chat. So the one I just talked about is now in the live chat. I'll get Funeral Prey to Roses, and I will get one for everyone that we're talking about moving forward.
Speaker 3: Because yeah, that sounds that sounds like an interesting film.
Speaker 2: It's very good. So what's the next one?
Speaker 3: When did it come out?
Speaker 2: Henry Gamble's Birthday Party is from two thoy and fifteen, and I think I watched it who I think it was on to B. I think so it's free, you should be able to access it on to B. It does not have a Blue Ray, Paul, it's I don't know that this director has anything on Blu Ray, which is really depressing. I think his host whole filmography deserves to be on Blu Ray.
Speaker 3: I see the question that from Rannie. I believe the BFI release is the same one that we restored through It started as Delicious Picks and then we took it over to Arbelos. Should be the same.
Speaker 2: Restoration, yep, all right, next one.
Speaker 3: Next one, let's see, there's only there's only one more that I worked on. Let's get that out of the way, Satan Tango.
Speaker 2: It's a big one.
Speaker 3: Literally, It's like I was, you know, this is another Arbelos restoration release that I didn't have much say at all and what we released there. So I was informed that I would be restoring a seven and a half hour black and white Hungarian film.
Speaker 2: Let's not exaggerate. It's seven hours and twelve minutes. Oh I'm sorry.
Speaker 3: I believe I was told seven and a half So that's not Does that include the two intermissions?
Speaker 2: Probably not?
Speaker 3: Probably not so anyway, to say I was not looking forward to seeing this film would be an understatement. Yeah, I don't care how much people said it's a masterpiece. I'm like, there's no way it's that good. And then I saw it, and honest to God, sitting there in the theater watching it did not feel that long to me. Granted I have a very high tolerance for long movies, and honestly, with the one viewing, I wasn't one hundred percent sure exactly what had that plot wise, what was exactly going on in the film. But I had never experienced an immersion into a film like that ever in my life. And that's immersion. Immersing, immersing the audience into the film is what most filmmakers are striving for, and they come up with idiotic things like three D to try and get people to feel like they're there. Or I worked for over a decade in Imax, which instead of three D well sometimes also three D is just that the screen is so big that it kind of envelops your peripheral vision and you can literally feel like you're there. Seeing Christopher Nolans The Dark Knight in Imax, the opening, the whole opening sequence was shot with Imax cameras, so seeing that projected in fifteen per seventy milimeter. The opening shot of him standing on the street corner, you literally feel like you're standing on the street corner. It's there's really no other experience quite like that. But I discovered with Satan Tango there's another way to get your audience completely sucked into the film, and that's to just not ever fucking cut away. Like he has shots of like a child, there's a dot in the horizon running towards the camera, and you sit there the whole time as they get there to the camera. But then the technical aspect of the filmmaking is not only are you taking all that time, but the shot doesn't then finally end when they get there, you know, right they then you know, pan and follow the child, and like it's not a it's not a it's not the single take kind of gimmick. It's not that like he cuts, there's edits, but everything is so slow and methodical, and you don't cut away from things very often that it's over time and just the length of the film itself. It just draws you in and you're living this experience with these characters, it's it was. It was an experience that I just was kind of blown away. So Satan Tango, like I did not expect that I would like it at all, and it just opened my my Mind's like, there are other ways of telling a story. There are other ways for filmmakers to draw you into the story they're telling, and just literally length of time is another way of doing it, and it absolutely works if you're willing to let it. Like I said, I like long films, so I'm never sitting in my seat thinking, Jesus, this is long. Like what's like, I mean, I just I go with it. It's like, I mean, I think it's almost like, you know, hypnotism, Like you're watching a film. If you're going to fight the film the whole time, you're not really gonna enjoy it as much and you're not gonna let yourself be immersed by it, like let yourself go with the film with the filmmaker. Yeah, Satan Tango is an amazing film. And I got to spend a week with Belatar sitting in the grading suite and hungry, and that dude is a trip.
Speaker 2: Yeah, excellent, solid pick. I uh, yeah, I don't know what else to say, I mean it's it's Satan Tango like it. It's so well known, obviously for being long, but for being just one of the most attaching films for so many people. If you are if you buy in it holds tight. Yeah, it's long for a reason.
Speaker 3: Yeah, obviously if you broke down the plot of the story they're trying to tell, Yeah, you could probably do it in ninety minutes, but it would be a completely different experience and not worth it probably, Yeah, Like, it's just it would be so vastly different. Yeah. No, I if you are willing, you know, get the disc. I don't know if it's still playing in theaters. I mean there's DCPs of it now since we did the restoration, so it probably pops up here and there. Worth it?
Speaker 2: Yeah, you got a question from Ancient Pixels. Craig is a fan of Benny's Bathtub and other Hashstrip's works. Do you think you could ever license more of his animated films in the future, perhaps War of the Birds or Subway to Paradise.
Speaker 3: Anything's possible. It's not on our radar right now. But yeah, we don't say hardcore, just no most to most things. So we'll see.
Speaker 2: We have.
Speaker 3: An absolute insane amount of animation coming.
Speaker 2: Oh and not just the animation, you have a dearth of titles. I mean, you say your scheduled to the middle of twenty twenty six, and that's not even everything.
Speaker 3: It's yeah, it'll be a busy time, very busy.
Speaker 2: My next one is I think, no, it is not the most recent film. I've got one more that's slightly more recent, but it's a fairly recent film. This one is just from twenty twenty two. And according to the people that I trust, I was supposed to hate this movie. I went into this very cynical. I it's exactly why you probably liked it.
Speaker 3: You should preface, preface all of these things with the secret to happiness in life. And this is going to sound like a joke, but I'm absolutely serious. Lower your goddamn expectations and be open minded of everything of life in general. Like, when you have expectations, all you could possibly do is set yourself up for disappointment, because even if it meets your expectations, you're gonna be like, Eh, wells, just go in, don't. I'm not saying you shouldn't. Actually, the lower experts, you just don't have any Just accept things for what they are, and you will be so much happier in film, what in watching movies, in everything, just let things be what they are.
Speaker 2: And this is one of those times that absolutely colored my experience unfortunately. So I was ready to find flaws. I was ready to find a film that was too loud that I didn't care about. But I was thrilled. And here is the link in the chat now with twenty twenty two's Babylon. Another film that's a longer film. This is a good three hour, twenty minute movie. I know a lot of people that are seeing a movie on that movie starring Margot Robbie and Brad Pitt, directed by Damien Chazelle. That what you know, a lot of people didn't like La La Land because a whitewashing type of things. A lot of people thought he got cheesy a little bit. Babylon is fucking amazing if you like filmmaking, Babylon is an incredible story. Yes, it can be loud, sometimes it can be brash. That's just filmmaking. That's just crazy Hollywood. The sets in this film are sumptuous, the way that they are able to get some of the shots in this are amazing. I mean this movie, Like forty seconds into it, there's an elephant pooping. It's funny. There's so much of this movie that are just random ass happenstances that I'm just entertained the entire time. It is incredible. Brad Pitt, Margot Robbie had extremely good chemistry in this, all of the random situations that people got them in. I don't understand why people could hate it. Yeah, it's kinda like loud and crude in a lot of situations. And that is how a lot of these just weird ass Hollywood situations are. Like, there's no denying that I think Babylon is magnificent, and in five years people are going to turn around and be like, why do we hate this? Because it is so good.
Speaker 3: I need to see it. It's another one where I like in general. I like the director. He's been a little hit or missed with me.
Speaker 2: La La.
Speaker 3: Land's not so much his fault. I just don't like ninety percent of musicals, right, And yeah, it's it's, It's, it's It's definitely like I could tell that the amount of hate it was getting was undeserved. Even if I see it and I don't like it. There's no way it deserves the amount of hated.
Speaker 2: Come right, it was far too much. And I know a lot of people hate Margot Robbie for some reason. She was incredible in this film. Incredible.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And like I said, I don't watch trailers. I decide what to watch because you tell me, and you just said I should watch Babylon. So it's on the list now.
Speaker 2: I love that. Pretty much everybody in the chat is agreeing. That's nice. That's nice to see that.
Speaker 3: All right, he got classy fans.
Speaker 2: What is the next one from you?
Speaker 3: Well, it works out nicely that you picked one that a lot of people hated, because I'm just going down my list. Like I said, it's not in order other than how I wrote it down. A lot of people hate this movie. Tenant Christopher Nolan. I really enjoyed it, and I think it ties directly into what I was just ranting about earlier. I didn't have expectations other than Christopher Nolan is a brilliant filmmaker. You might not like his films, but you can't deny like dude knows how to make a movie. Of course, Tenant. The one complaint I keep hearing people get so upset over is that it's incoherent, Like they've watched it and after it's over, they have no friggin idea what they just watched. And my answer to that is, so what, Like, I don't need to understand everything to enjoy the experience of watching it. Like It's like I've thoroughly enjoyed the experience of watching that film. And because I don't understand every little detail, it lends itself to rewatching. It lends itself to you thinking about it and making up your own decision of what it's about or what you watched. Like, I trust that Christopher Nolan and his history of filmmaking and writing did not just like oops, like it makes no sense when you when you break it down, like he's he's two what's the word?
Speaker 4: Uh?
Speaker 3: He micromanages like his films are his films. There's no way that every line in that film was not exactly how he wanted it, And the fact that it doesn't make sense is intentional.
Speaker 2: I a lot of the same people that were saying Tenant was bad because it was incoherent are the same people that praise mulholland Drive and pray I mean.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean he's it's it's a it's a very different film, and and Christopher Olan certainly doesn't have a long history of making weird incoherent films like David Lynch did. So you went in again. You went in with expectations, it's going to be a Christopher Nolan film, it's going to make sense and it's going to look pretty. And it didn't make sense, and you're upset. That's on you. You shouldn't have had expectations. Enjoy the movie for what it is. It's a wild ride with lots of things to think about, and the you know, visually just stunning from beginning to end, with great performances like It's it doesn't deserve all the shit it cut And again, why is it on this list? Because it taught me I don't need to understand every aspect of something to enjoy it, like I am okay going through life. The answer I don't know is a completely legitimate answer to something, right, like you don't have to understand everything. I missed that something about I just hate his sad.
Speaker 2: Gold is hilarious. I can't stand on thee but I don't expect to coherence. I just hate his sad street man vibes, which made me laugh so hard.
Speaker 3: Okay, well, I mean I also have the benefit of by no means someone like I want to say this, like oh, like, yeah, we're buds. But I've met him, worked on several of his films that he did through Imax, and of all the filmmakers that came through that place, he took his shit more seriously and knew what he was doing tenfold over the next person down. Like, so I have mad respect for his filmmaking. That's incredible, and he treats it with respect, like in seriousness, like it's it's he's he's the real deal, like and he's English. Come on, he's of course he's gonna look like a sad white guy. Yeah, I mean, but yeah, so yeah, that one, that one's on my list because it, you know, cemented for me. I can enjoy a movie and not know what the hell is going on, just enjoy the experience and the ride. And yeah, I kind of prefer if it's not completely just laid out for you, because what are you going to think about after the movie's over? If every question has been answered?
Speaker 2: It's a good question. Look, so there there's my fast one. Not to change the subject or anything, but while we're talking about Nolan and you being involved with Imax, I have just had this random thought. Have you paid attention to this whole sphere that in Vegas and any thoughts on what that would be like to experience that after working at Imax.
Speaker 3: I don't know technically how it works. I know with like Imax dome theaters there's a bit of a contrast issue because the screen is round, so it's reflecting light yeah, on itself, so you have some contrast issues. And then most of the stuff that's shone in a dome type thing wasn't shot to be seen.
Speaker 2: In a dome.
Speaker 3: I saw one film where it was these people carrying a canoe and it was it was just ridiculous because like there's like way over here is the front of the canoe, and then it wraps all the way around in front of you in the back of the canoe over here, And I was like, well, that's just dumb.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: So, uh, if they've resolved the and the and the the contrast thing is probably not an issue because I'm guessing, you know, with dome it was projection with this thing it's probably like led, so the source of the light source is the screen, so the contrast issues probably not as big of an issue. And hopefully the content that they're showing, I think everything I've heard of so far is stuff that was literally made specifically for that venue, so it's probably really freaking cool.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I mean, I think one of the big things that they're showing is a U two live concert that they filmed specifically for this and that sort of thing. Like I'm not a giant fan of you two, but to be able to sit there and literally all around you be able to see everything.
Speaker 3: And you've probably got like the best seat in the house.
Speaker 2: Sanity, and they charge like it is to supposedly even.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's that's that's the downside. The whole point of of this being like it should be democratizing is is like, oh, everyone can afford to see you too now and sit in the front row. It was like, no, they're charging front row U two tickets prices. I'm like, what the But you get to show it multiple times a day every day, like you bastards.
Speaker 2: I think it would be fun to see once for sure, but I don't know. I'm surprised just in general.
Speaker 3: I'm always surprised how concert films aren't more popular, and I don't know if it's I think part of it might be because of the way they're distributed. They're kind of distributed like a regular film, where they'll just like market it half trailers, it comes out on a certain day everywhere, and then it's gone a little later. It's I would think if you're doing a concert film, distribute it like a concert, like announced show dates in all of these different cities, and have it tour around the country and have it be in a place for you know, they're they're going to do like a couple of days, or you know, if it's a place that the band's extra popular, maybe it's there for a whole week, but like no long, and then it moves and it moves around the country like a like a tour would, and you'd get to see it. Because of the concert films I'm seen, and I haven't seen that many, they're amazing, Like you've got like front row seats with incredible sound, and no one's pushing and shoving like the parking zzy. You know, like it's like the best of a concert without all the bad parts of a concert after Prince died. They they were show showing Purple Rain, and a lot of places were even showing his concert film, Sign of the Times, and so I I every time it was a playing. I saw it in the theaters here, and like seeing Sign of the Times in a theater is fantastic.
Speaker 2: It's like, especially with a bunch of Prince fans.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, I mean like the whole audience, like you kind of like it's like you treat it like you're at a concert. Like people start standing up, like after songs, people are applauding, like it's like being at the concert. It's concert films are great. I wish they were more popular. We did one at Imax in the It was a two thousand and one two thousand somewhere around there. It was a film called what was it called Backstage No Something. I can't remember the name of it. It flopped, but at the time they got all of the top artists, like all the people that were super popular at the time, and a couple of cli classic art and they convinced them like, let us shoot you performing like one maybe two songs, and we'll shoot them with the Imax cameras and then we're gonna put together basically a compilation concert where people can go and see it in imax and they'll have all of these artists. It was like Macy Gray and Moby and kid Rock and it was like Sheryl Crow and part of the part of the problem, like and it totally flopped. And so you know, everyone was like, well why did it flop? Because the idea was like, well, we'll get a wide range of artists, so everyone will have at least someone they like. But it worked. The other way I think is like, well, I only like two artists in the lineup and they only do two songs. So but if you had wide ranging taste in music, I enjoyed like every performance. It was incredible. It was so cool.
Speaker 2: That's awesome.
Speaker 3: All access it was called all access. So yeah, it's I don't know how the hell we got talking about concert films.
Speaker 2: Because I brought up the dome and or the not the not the dome.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but yeah, yeah, like you're videoing YouTube concert. It's a it's a shame that they're gouging people for the price, but what do you expect?
Speaker 2: Yeah, all right, so this next one, uh, I'm going to go back to twenty eleven with the film That I Freaking Love, one of my favorite of all time. Uh, this is the first film I had seen from this director. I did not know what to expect, and after even like the first half hour, when you're you think you've got this understood, this film blew me away. And that is Pedro Almodovar's The Skin I Live In, one of the best films I've ever seen. Antonio Banderas is fucking insane in this He's so good. This movie has a couple points where you realize, God, these people are just simply the worst. And then somehow there is a couple of moments in this movie that turn everything that you were ready for on its head, and it's the best version of like that that m Night Shyamalan. What a twist type of moment without it necessarily being a twist, and just really saying you thought you knew what this movie was about, Fuck you, We're telling a completely different story. And it was the first time from a filmmaker like this that I felt so taken advantage of in a really good way because I was invested in this character arc, I was invested in the story and to have that rug pulled out from under you like that. I well in love with this movie. For those that have never seen it, this is a movie about this plastic surgeon who has made a new version of skin. It can literally withstand any sort of damage. It can be hurt in all kinds of different ways. But of course you can't like get grants and stuff for that, because nobody's gonna ethically be able to test that. And so he finds a way to test it in the craziest of ways. He literally has somebody kidnapped and says we're going to test this bitch now, and it goes. It goes there. There's a lot of really crazy things that in that plot you can think in your mind would go crazy. I guarantee it goes a couple steps further than all those pedro Almdovar is.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he's not known for holding back.
Speaker 2: No. After having watched this and then a few others, he is a magnificent filmmaker. I got to say one of the coolest moments of going to California last year was standing in the Academy Museum and at the time they had a not large It wasn't as big as the John Waters exhibit or anything, but they had a very small section dedicated to the art of Pedro ahmadov Art, and they just had posters of all of his films, and it was so good.
Speaker 3: I remember that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was so crazy to see the juxtaposition from each one and yet having watched them and having each one immediately bring you back to those moments. Because his movies mean so damn much. They sit with you, they weigh on you, They are experiences to relive, and this movie really changed the way I look at a lot of things, and I could not be happier with it, because it is one that woke me up. This movie The Skin I Live In is a modern masterpiece and one that's so few you still have seen somehow. Definitely one that absolutely should be watched by everybody.
Speaker 3: I need to see more of his films. I think I've only seen Talk to Her, which was again pretty out there. But yeah, with you raving about this one and just knowing his reputation, I need to see more than just one of his films.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And there was a rumor for a little while that his films that were out on Criterion We're going to get clawed back and Sony was going to release them themselves. It looks like they've made their way back on Blu Ray for the most part. But either way, we were.
Speaker 3: Looking at a list of available titles from a distributor and a bunch of his stuff was in the list as available. So I'm sure if there's stuff that's been out of print, somebody's doubled them up and they'll be they'll be coming back.
Speaker 2: That would be amazing. Yeah, this is an absolute recommendation. This is literally one of my favorite films of all time. It is worth the watch for literally anyone, and we'll tell things with like the medical side and gender and politics in ways that you are not expected to be wrapped up in this film. It's incredible.
Speaker 3: I'll have to check it out again, right, Brian. Brian, Ryan says, So, so, got.
Speaker 2: A couple more left for us? What do you got next? All Right?
Speaker 3: The next one is uh, It's just a film that I've just absolutely loved from the moment I saw it, and I don't know anybody else who's seen it. The Visitor starring Richard Jenkin. It was written and directed by Tom McCarthy, who did The Station Agent and Spotlight those two films much more popular than The Visitor It and it's interesting, I think again I benefited from I don't even think I knew what it was about when I went to see it. I went because Richard Jenkins is always a great in everything he's ever done, and he is rarely the lead, and he's the lead of this film, and the movie is just it's one of those films that I think is I can't think of a flaw. It's it's kind of perfect. The script, the acting, the directing, the plot, like I have, I have zero notes like wow, And Richard Jenkins is brilliant as you would expect, but again, you never see him carrying a whole thing. He's always like a supporting actor and he's always brilliant. He's carrying this whole film. And the part that's really stuck with me was how smart the ending was. It's an absolute perfect ending and I don't want to it's not that it's a twist, but it requires you to have been paying attention to the film to get Wide ended the way it did. And if you understood Wide ended the way it did, you're just like you, just like you know you just bow bravo, Just brilliant. I saw it with my brother. He loved it, and I kept raving about how great the ending was and he's like why. He's like, I don't I didn't quite understand the ending. And then when I explained why he did what he did at the end, he's like, Oh, that's really cool, but it's super it's super nothing bombastic happens. Like he plays this guy who has an apartment on the side and he goes in and he finds these people living in it and weirdly ends up befriending them. And it's a it's an issue movie, which is really really appropriate at this time. It's about immigration and people getting deported, and while that's kind of what the movie is about, it's not. It's much more about the relationships between the people than than the immigration, like that's what that's what pulls them through the story, but it's really about their relationships. And again, Richard Jenkins, he never goes over the top, like there's there was a scene where it's like any other actor, this scene would have been the I want to win an award, I'm gonna go big here. And I don't know if it was his decision to not do it, or if the director was like, no, we're not We're not playing that game. But it played out the way that scene would play out in real life. You know, when you see people yelling and screaming and crying, that's not how most people behave themselves through through their lives.
Speaker 2: That's that's right.
Speaker 3: You know, there might be a few people that are like that over the top, but yeah, he just plays it as you would expect, no yelling, you know, and it's it works like it makes the scene so powerful because you just completely believe it. I can't recommend it higher. Like one of my favorite movies of all time.
Speaker 2: Wow, I've heard good things about this, but never even I never had a chance to see it, knowing it's on two B in prime is nice and there's still a Blu ray that you can pick up quite cheap. Yeah. I love Richard Jenkins, going all the way back to things like Six Feet Under. He's incredible. Is he's always so good?
Speaker 3: Yeah? Yeah? And he if anyone wonders if he can carry a movie like in the soft, gentle way that he is, absolutely he can carry a movie.
Speaker 2: Nice.
Speaker 3: It's absolutely one of my all time favorite films and one of those like you can you can rewatch simply to just marvel at how like, Yeah, there's no I think I have no flaw. There's no flaws. Yeah, there's very few movies that like, no matter how much I love them, I can always usually find like something where I'm just like, it was perfect. It was perfect. If it wasn't for that, I'd still give it five stars, but it would be like absolute perfection if it had just this or just that. Like this, this one I got, I got nothing, and a lot of people will probably watch it be like, well that was fucking boring, but it spoke to me.
Speaker 2: I'm glad it did. I definitely need to see it as well. My next one. You mentioned it being one of your favorite films. I'll look at that. There's Gage. We talked about him earlier. Hey, hello, I am going to talk about one from the eighties that is kind of the opposite of what I felt. You know, when I talked about Babylon, everybody said that I was gonna hate it. This is one that everybody said I was gonna love, and I easily could have had too high of expectations. But I want to talk about how this film made me appreciate a couple things, and that is nineteen eighty seven's broadcast News. Broadcast News is. I mean, on its surface, you could really sum this up as a love triangle story at a news station starring William Hurts and James Brooks and or James Brooks, Albert Brooks, Holly Hunter. But really, this movie is so much about William Hurt and Holly Hunter that Albert Brooks is great in this, but he kind of takes a little back seat to the other two. This movie kind of taught me how to appreciate dialogue because this is probably the best written dialogue ever. It is something that I expected to like the film, because you know, movies about making movies or broadcasting or how the sausage is made through entertainment, they're always fun. But this movie takes like creating chemistry and inbuilt tension and drama between people and then using realistic language to develop characters in a way that I never expected to get from a film. This is the movie that made me fall for William Hurt. This is the movie that made Holly Hunter look like one of the most just approachable people in filmmaking. I could not believe how much more. I felt like I got out of this film on a personal level because of the way that they spoke, and I will never probably be able to lose that feeling about this movie. Every single time I've watched it, I feel like that's even gotten stronger. And yet so many people don't like this movie for similar reasons. It's just that it's a maybe boring to some people.
Speaker 3: I've Yeah, I mean, I'm assuming it must be people that are younger, because yeah, I have never heard anybody say anything bad about this film ever, right right, I eighty seven. I probably saw it when it first came out, and I just don't remember because I saw pretty much everything back in my teen days, and if I did, I probably thought it was boring because I was young.
Speaker 2: But yeah, it's.
Speaker 3: Definitely one that I definitely need to revisit because I'm certain I will appreciate it so much more now than another Cats. But yeah, I definitely need to revisit it, because especially if you're heaping that level of praise on it, like and William Hurt is really good. Yeah, I need to see it, damn it. I don't have time to watch all these movies same.
Speaker 2: I feel the same way and genuinely, for me, this is one that made me appreciate other films more. It is one of those that make you feel like you're watching a magic trick. And to me, it's those those moments that you're reaching for with films. A lot of the time, it's from one magic trick to another one that makes you feel like, man, they got me again. I I.
Speaker 3: It's really It's really interesting how like some movies are brilliant because they're obviously movies, right, and then there are others that you just kind of forget it's a movie, and both can be equally as entertaining, just in completely different ways.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 3: Like most I'm a huge Martin Scorsese fan, but his filmmaking is is in your face, like the actual the act of his making a film is part of the film.
Speaker 2: It's capital F films.
Speaker 3: Right, where whereas like lots of other things like broadcast news or the visitor, the filmmaking disappears yep, you know, and you're just like it's over and you're like, holy fuck, like is that real?
Speaker 2: Like, And that's the thing about broadcast news. A lot of the chemistry that is literally in many ways, especially from Albert brooks oozing off the screen. It feels genuine. These are real people, not characters. They have known each other for years and have this built in workplace tension and like weird sexual compatibility between them that is driving the overall chemistry just off the charts. It feels so realistic in this ship.
Speaker 3: No, I mean, I need to watch this sooner than later.
Speaker 2: I'm honestly, I'm surprised this one has not got a four K yet. I expected it too a while ago. Great movie got a good criterion released. Check it out.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's interesting that every one of yours.
Speaker 2: Is.
Speaker 3: I just I'm like, I need to see that right now.
Speaker 2: That's how I feel about yours too. Unfortunately, one of yours is as long as all of mine come home, all right? I got one more last one, so do I.
Speaker 3: And this one is.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 3: It feels like a lot of people are gonna be like really kind of obvious or basic. But I'm going way back to I think nineteen forty six. This one really woke me up to old movies can be amazing because nineteen I think it's nineteen forty six. I again, I saw this when I was probably early teen. My mom had said, oh, yeah, it's a great movie, you should watch that popped it in and the opening shot. I was like, what this is like fantasy? They made fantasy movies back then. It's a wonderful life. It's fucking brilliant. I mean, it's become a cliche of itself because of how much it's a Christmas movie. Now, right, it doesn't matter. You can watch this any time of the year. It's it doesn't like the fact that it is set during Christmas time. Who gives a shit, that's not what it's about. Yeah, it's just it totally blew my mind that, like an old, old, old film. Could one not be just based in reality too? Like it's dark, Like it's dark. Yeah, like it's just it just blew me away. I was like, holy hell, and and from the like, from that moment on, anybody that said I don't like old movies, I don't like black and white movies. I like, who you're an idiot, Like, you're throwing away you know, sixty years, seventy years, depending on what you define as an old movie. Certainly if your cut off is black and white, you're throwing away at least like sixty years of films that are absolutely incredible. There's nothing, there's nothing people are making stories of today that is new. Like the perfect example of this is like anytime you think we're like, oh, well it's old, they weren't as sophisticated. They didn't know this, they didn't know that it wasn't a movie. But when we were in vacation years ago, we were in a bookstore in Paris and there was a book that was a collection. It was one person's huge collection of pornographic photography back to the dawn of cameras, like like eighteen like it's late, you know, eighteen hundred's onward. And flipping through this book, it was just mind blowing. It was like, yeah, like everyone thinks like, oh, if it's old, then it's you know, no anything you've ever thought of or done. People been doing it since fucking caveman days.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 3: So to think that a film from nineteen forty six can't be sophisticated, or can't be about this subject or that subject, or you know, can't be as intriguing or entertaining as a new movie, get your head out of your ass, like seriously, like yeah, it's just foolishness. I mean I don't know if miss Corsese was the first person to say it. I just saw meme with his face on it. But like, there aren't any old movies, They're just movies you haven't seen yet. Right to just shut yourself off to half of the history of cinema because it's old, you're just being an idiot. I'm sorry.
Speaker 2: I mean, honestly, I wrote the same same type of shade to anybody that's talking about modern cinema too. There's still great things being made, Yeah, and yet there's lots of people that won't watch stuff post two thousand. There's still incredible films coming out.
Speaker 3: Come on, Yeah, I mean it's like to think that, like, you know, yeah, probably if you look back and you list all, Like, when we look back at old films, it's usually, you know, the good ones are the ones that have risen to the top, and we still can easily go back and see and be like, yeah, see great movies. Well flip that over and today, you know, yeah, there's there's going to be a smattering of really great films today and a bunch of crap. Yeah, the same thing going back in history. Like it's just that the crap's gotten forgotten, and so you know people that are just like, oh, well, new films suck. It was like, well, no, there are lots of shitty old films too, but that doesn't mean one is better than the other. It's like, right, there are phenomenal old films, and for the most part, if they're old and people are still talking about them, this is a great good reason.
Speaker 2: This is true, absolutely true. Rants over well, mine is the complete opposite of that, hilariously, because I saved my newest one for last uh and it is a twenty twenty four film that surprised me because I have caught myself being cynical about things like legacy sequels or preals that come out years later or remakes, just like many people in the chat, probably just like many people, and all of these you know Facebook groups talking about what films are coming out, people shit on stuff before they've even seen a single frame. And I gotta admit, when I was growing up, the Omen franchise was very important to me, and I was shocked with how much I loved the first Omen. Last year. Neil Tiger Free starring in this prequel, is a powerhouse performance that rivals so many incredible female led horror movies from last year, possibly you know, one of the three best performances in any of those, which is crazy in a year that we saw stuff like The Substance and Smile to literally get you know, an Oscar nom for dem and people upset that Smile Too did not get any recognition or awards love and that that sort of thing is unheard of for something like SMA Too. And yet Neil Tiger Free and the First Omen is like subtly incredible as a prequel movie. This movie is so odd because it it does sort of change the the a tiny bit of lore compared to the first Omen film. But for a sequel prequel that comes out that that is.
Speaker 3: The only thing that that that still kind of bugs me is that everything now is a presequel. Yes, Like it's like a remake and either sequel or prequel. Like, so I was looking forward to this one as well, Like I saw the trailer for this one and I'd like you the original films like introduced me to horror films.
Speaker 2: Yep, So.
Speaker 3: Is this a remakes remake prequel?
Speaker 2: No, this literally leads into the original OMEN film. This is fully a prequel. That being said, there's if you are super anal about details. There's one thing that is gonna slightly bug you if you've seen the original one recently, because they do sort of muck something up in regards to it. That being said, the first Omen is incredible. The story is well written, It is incredibly well acted. Ralph Innoson is amazing in this movie too, second only to Neil tiger Free. The sets in this movie are astonishing. The deaths in this movie are crazy, and it's not like a slasher. If you've seen the Omen series, this feels very fit in the Omen franchise. And that's why this surprised the hell out of me because I thought this was going to be god awful. I originally when this came out. This is such a weird time in twenty twenty four cinematic history that we had this in Immaculate, two films essentially about nuns out at the same time, both with beautiful settings, both with strong female lead performances, and I chose to go see Immaculate in the theaters and wait on first Omen. I should have done the opposite. Even though I still love Immaculate. I thought it was great. It's just not nearly as good as the first Omen. This movie is part of a very strong horror twenty twenty four got talked about a lot last year, and I fear it's going to be forgotten because this, this does not get This does not deserve to be stuck with the argument against remakes or prequels or sequels. I mean, this came out, what fifty years after the original film, and the Omen.
Speaker 3: The omend franchise doesn't have a big like Freddy Krueger or Jason or Michael myerright, it doesn't have a standout. There's no big bag LaSure character to like, you know, make make dolls of and sell merch Like, yeah, it's it's the kind of horror movies I like. That's why I'm not a huge horror fan, because most films aren't like the Omen like I like the Omen because it's you know, there could be a forty five minute stretch where nobody dies and it's just creepy, Like it's just it has a vibe that goes through the whole film and then you know with just like spikes of violence here or there. I mean, the greatest OMEN death, in my opinion, wasn't even like all that. It wasn't even bloody, you know, it was a kid trapped into the ice. Fucking terrifying.
Speaker 2: Yep, yeah, this is this is a franchise that dealt in like ominous dread and not just reading.
Speaker 3: That quote dread that's the that is the perfect word. It's the omen just has a just veil of dread just all over it. And if you're saying this new one fits the bill, god damn it. I don't know what I'm gonna find time to watch it, but it's it's weird. It's like, I'm not typically what you know, most horror fans just love all things horror, and the bloodier and the gorrier the better, and so I just whenever someone's like, are you a horror fan, I'm like, not really, But the ones I like, I really fucking like, because yeah, because they they can scare me. Not with a jump scare that makes me jump out of my seat, I'll be fucking unnerved by it a month later, you know what I mean. It's it's it's the it's the jump scares and the gore. Not interested. I want this to freaking freak me out to my core for the rest of my life.
Speaker 2: Yep. I wanted to linger, I wanted to be heavy. I wanted to be something that I dread, Yes, exactly.
Speaker 3: So yeah, why and why on earth someone would want to feel that way? God only knows, but it's they make their great movies. I'm very glad to hear that this, this new one is up to the task of the original. So I'm I'll probably end up having to try and see. Of all the ones you listed, this is the one I'll probably try and squeeze in first.
Speaker 2: It's worth it. It's not a long watch, and it's it's just so well made, like.
Speaker 3: You said, it's it's because you know, really, my introduction to horror was was the Omen. There was I don't know if we had HBO or what. I was too freaking young, Like I don't even think I was a teen yet. Yeah, and I'm assuming it was probably my older brother that was watching them. But I would like pretend to be sleeping on the couch.
Speaker 2: Yep.
Speaker 3: And I saw the Omen, the Omen two, Amityville, Horror, the Car. There were a bunch that I don't even know what they were. There's just images just seared in my brain.
Speaker 2: Yep.
Speaker 3: And I can't maybe you know you e're ape bit and as someone in the channel will probably know because there's a lot of horror fans here, there was a woman ironing and then she just takes the iron and just kills somebody by like just smashing it, like just burning their face with it. And it's probably like a mid late seventies era. But yeah, like seeing that as probably a ten year old, I'm not gonna I don't know what movie it was, but I'm never gonna forget that scene freaked me out. But yeah, the car I rewatched that again not too long ago, and that one's kind of silly, but yeah, as a little kid, just a black car, a black ominous car that's killing people.
Speaker 2: Yep, gotta love it. Yeah, I mean I say similar to you. It wasn't HBO, but I think I saw Halloween and then after that I really immersed myself in the Omen because we had somehow we had all of them on VHS, and good god, I watched all of them so many times, even Sam Neil, who is Sam Neil. It's not the best movie, but it made a lot of those feelings, like actually, ling actually feel a lot of dread. Omen as a franchise is really well done as as actual films and not just horror films. I look at that the iron scene is from the Omen three.
Speaker 3: I wonder when that came out.
Speaker 2: Uh, the Omen three would have been eighty uh something like that, eighty one eighty one.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I should not have been seeing that because even if it were on cable like a year or two later, that means I was like ten or left.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, these are these are good, solid list of five films, totally understandable why they would all be surprising or defy your expectations. This was a really fun discussion. This was a great topic. Uh.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and again, like I get to talk with you about movies, Like seriously, I will do this every week.
Speaker 2: But we'll put you on uh, we'll put you on schedule.
Speaker 3: So much fun. Yeah and and yeah your list of five films as well, like every one of them, like I want to see them.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean certain things like I don't know how I haven't watched Tenant yet.
Speaker 3: I've wanted to. It's not what I've gotten around to. I need to go in with no expectations and I've improved on that front and enjoy the process.
Speaker 2: I agree what is like the.
Speaker 3: Oldest like advice in the world is like it's it's the journey, not the destination, right that that applies to tenant like one.
Speaker 2: Well that's a good thing. As we discussed earlier, two new Deaf Crocodile titles up for preorder tomorrow at nine am Pacific twelve noon Eastern.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 2: Those will be shipping at the end of next month. At the end of April. We are hard to work on a lot more titles coming soon tomorrow though, is Mutant Aliens and Inflatable Sex Doll of the Wastelands. Excited for everybody to get their hands on those pre order early pre order often and we got.
Speaker 3: We had a pretty long tangent talking about trailers. Anna who does our edits our trailers, love love the work she's doing for us. Her trailer for Inflatable Sex Doll is my favorite that she's done for us. Yet like it hits perfectly, doesn't spoil anything, makes you want to see it, just like a trailer supposed to that is up on YouTube and Vimeo. I encourage you to go check it out and then uh, it'll be in the newsletter and technically officially dropping tomorrow. But if you're listening to this, you get to know that I put I put it up there just before we got online. But the mutin Aaliens trailer officially dropping tomorrow.
Speaker 2: But but I just linked it.
Speaker 3: Just linked you there, So yeah, to check it out, Bill New Bill Plumpton And seriously, the Inflatable Sex All the Watlands trailer. My, if it wasn't a film we were releasing, I'd still say it's my favorite trailer I've seen in quite a while. I just it's a great job.
Speaker 2: And another thing to areciate that we didn't say earlier. Incredible, like smooth jazz score on this one, that is so good. The music is so perfect. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Then the trailers cut to the music from the film, So yeah, yeah, I'm gonna I'm gonna click that link myself and watch it again. I love that trailer so much.
Speaker 2: All that to say, there's gonna be a time in just a couple of short months where def Crocodile subscription will be available for everybody again for an annual subscription.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but domestic international now and only until the seventh of April. So if anybody international is listening watching h he got till April seventh to sign up and and save some shipping charges so we can send you a quarters worth of films all at once.
Speaker 2: This is the time, and then domestically that will be coming up in June, I believe, right.
Speaker 3: Well, probably the month of mayo probably enrollment, because I think it's got somewhere in there. I don't I don't know, lots of stuff coming up. He may June something like that, and we might we're talking about maybe not doing a six month twelve month thing. Maybe maybe we'll still do that, but we're also thinking maybe we'll do you know, I think it's is it a silloscope that does like you can get the next, the next ten or regardless if there's two a month, one a month, doesn't matter, you get the next. However, many there are just a little easier on our end to keep track of things, and if schedules change, it's like, well, you said I was getting this, I'm like, no, we told you were getting you were getting ten, you were getting ten.
Speaker 2: It's also easier to not have to just pick up the next one at a discount through a coupon code, because you'll just be getting them all, so pay attention. Yeah, subscribe to the Deaf Crocodile podcast. Go subscribe to the YouTube for all the new trailers, and we'll see you next week. Thanks for hanging out, Craig.
Speaker 3: So much fun. You have no idea.
Speaker 2: Be safe, everybody. We'll see you on Thursday. Have a good one. Thank you. Thank you for watching the Disconnected. On the way out, make sure that you are a subscribed to the channel, that you've liked the video, and that you've copied the link to be able to share with someone else that may appreciate this. Tell me no.
Speaker 4: If you're looking for more horror outside of the mainstream, look no further than Unsung Horrors, a podcast about underseen horror movies.
Speaker 3: I'm Lance and I'm Erica.
Speaker 5: Every other week we'll cover a horror movie with fewer than one thousand views on Letterboxed. We'll even give you double feature recommendations to pair with the movies we discuss.
Speaker 4: From gothic to shot on video, from slashers to comedies, from Giallo to jay horror. We'll cover all the subgenres. So join us as we unearth these hidden gems of horror.
Speaker 5: Follow us on Instagram, Twitter, and Facebook. All at Unsung Horrors, available wherever you listen to podcasts, and part of the Someone's Favorite Productions Podcast Network.
Speaker 1: Thank you for listening to hear more shows from the Someone's Favorite Productions podcast Network. Please select the link in the description.