Speaker 1: Good morning, Kentucky, and it is Kentucky and is Morning News with Coffee and Company here on News Radio eight forty whas So, what we have learned from the big stories yesterday, we now know that the situation to the Fairgrounds on Sunday was really nothing. And I do think the explanation makes it make sense as to how you could have everything involved from the visual that we've now seen from many social media clips of those that were attending the basketball tournament panicked running trying to find probably their kids or whoever they were there with, just in fear because they assumed that there was an active aggressor showing up. And we just can't be surprised when those kind of things happen anymore. Unfortunately, so to know that that took place, there was also and I still don't know for sure the specifics of the Kentucky Kingdom incident, but nonetheless it became a big issue.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: You had law enforcement show up and respond, because that's what they're always going to do when there's a report of an active aggressor or an active shooter in a situation like that. So for it to end up playing out to where it was nothing, I think the explanation makes it make sense. I certainly wouldn't have guessed it. But it turns out there was a ceiling tile that fell and struck a metal chair around the same time a woman experienced a medical emergency nearby. So the combined sounds and commotion created I guess confusion and fear that quickly escalated and spread. And that's that's not really surprising, and it's it's unfortunate to know that that really this was this was just just a random situation with just bad timing for things to happen. And if you want to blame anybody, I'm not really sure who you would blame, right, this is just something that I mean, I guess maybe the ceiling tile falling, maybe that's but I mean, those things happened, and you wouldn't typically think that it would lead to what an ended up playing out on Sunday. But the good news is that nobody ended up being hurt. But I was just fearful that this was going to be another thing for people to point at about our city and say, well, man, this place needs to get their stuff in order, because my goodness, and look, we do need to get our stuff in order. I mean, that's not that's not something I'm trying to deflect. But this was just a bad timing, bad luck. Can we catch a break? That's kind of what I'm thinking here. Also, we're continuing to learn a little more about the gunman on Sunday in Lexington that opened fire on a trooper after being pulled over near the Bluegrass Airport, only to then carjack someone and make his way to a church, killing two people wounding two others. So guy House, we now know that he has a background of being a criminal, also drug use and mental health issues. That is what those who know him and some of his family, including the mother of his children, has come out and said. But also another detail here as far as just maybe some timing that led to this, he had a hearing on Monday for domestic violence. So the day before he did this, he was set to go to court for a hearing when it comes to domestic violence, but it did not involve the women he was reportedly seeking at the church. The woman, I should say, and that's the mother of his child, who has since done at least a couple of interviews that I've seen, and clearly this was a troubled individual. And I don't know if you're out here looking at people and trying to evaluate who the next potential person to do something like this is, because that would be no way to live. And I think it'd be tough to know. But drug problems, criminal history, mental health issues. Maybe the mental health issues have come from the life that this person has experienced, but just a tragic situation all the way around. When you combine the components of this situation top to bottom, it's not a shocker that this became, of course, a national story. Law enforcement getting fired upon just when holding someone over carjacking, and then a mass shooting at a church. So unfortunate all the way around. And it is nice though to see there were folks near the airport when the officer was shot that took action, called nine one one and tried to help. And those are things that you would just assume and hope that everyone does, because I mean, that's what you should do. But I think two sides of this one. I don't think anybody really knows what they would do in that situation. I mean, if you didn't, you didn't clearly see that the person who shot the officer was gone and made his way to, I guess, find somebody and steal their car. I mean, I don't know if people would have taken as quick of action. I mean, you just don't. I don't think anybody knows what they'll do in a lot of situations until they in fact are in said situations, and that's one of them. But also, if you are the officer, I mean, I'm sure you will forever feel grateful for someone who probably doesn't know you. And clearly, law enforcement there's not enough said about the good things they do and what they sign up for and what they experience in that line of work all because they want to. And yeah, there's plenty of examples of individuals taking advantage of things that come with being in law enforcement, but that's I mean, that's a minor thing compared to the vast majority who probably go about their day assuming that people don't appreciate them. And look, they clearly don't get into it to be appreciated, or they wouldn't do it. So I know there was at least one of the one of the individuals that was nearby when that happened that took action and helped the trooper called nine one one and always nice to remind people that those individuals still exist in society. All right, let's get an update on traffic and weather. I want to revisit the tipping conversation from earlier. You got to be mindful when you get that receipt from a restaurant. You might want to double check their math. They may be just putting a number down that tells you that's twenty percent of of what your bill is and just assuming you're gonna believe it, which hand up. I've probably done that before. But there's also some other things I want to discuss when it comes to tipping, because that's something everybody has a strong opinion on. All right, first, let's get an update on traffic and weather. Right here, it's Kentucky and his Morning News with Coffee and Company on News Radio eight forty. Whas if we were going to put together a list of things that most have not just an opinion, but maybe a strong opinion on, I feel like gratuity tipping is one of those. And this is something we talked about earlier. If you weren't with us in the seven o'clock hour, but a customer at Chili's is accusing them of not math in the right way, and he claims that Chili's is deceptive because the percentage that was shown on his receipt, which I'm sure that's common at a lot of restaurants. Not everyone has it, but a lot of times if you give him the receipt to check out at a restaurant, the receipt that you signed will have options fer gratuity that just say, you know, here's what it would be if you tip eighteen percent, here's what it would be if you tip twenty fifteen, whatever it may be. And he did show that the receipt didn't add up as far as what they claimed the certain so his dinner was twenty seven dollars and seven cents. The receipt claimed that eighteen percent of that equals six twenty eight and twenty five percent of that equals eight to seventy three, when the correct calculations were lower than that. And he went on to say that it's illegal. And this became a big story because others have chimed in to say that they've experienced the same thing at Chili's, and then there's others that have said it's happened at other restaurants before. I'm only bringing it up, because I will admit I've never even looked at that. I've just assumed, well, surely that's right. And to be fair, those that said that there was probably an explanation for it, and there may be an explanation for it, or this guy could be lying. Who knows, but if you have a q pon or a rewards program at that restaurant, then maybe that you know, maybe the tip was already there, but then your price was lower because they saw that you had like a twenty percent off or whatever it may be. However, this guy did claim that that was not the case. He didn't have any kind of discount, and he just said that they that it was just wrong and it could be I mean, it could clearly be just an error, or it could be just a way to see if people are actually paying attention and maybe you can end up getting more of a tip. So I hadn't thought about this, but we had somebody reach out to me on Twitter that was listening and said that they would love to know if restaurants require their servers to inform a big party that gratuity has already been added. And that's a great question. I can tell you I've seen it both ways. I've had a server tell a big party that I was with hey, just so you know, gratuity's already added. And sometimes it's a given, but sometimes it's not. Sometimes if there's a big party and you've got multiple different checks, right, maybe it's a big dinner and there's six to seven different checks. Don't really know how it would work out as far as just the total number, but it wouldn't shock me if maybe at that point, depending upon the restaurant, they might prefer that it wasn't included and you just get your tips from each each individual check that's there. I guess it depends upon the situation. But I've also I give an example I had. I was out celebrating a birthday last summer and there were a lot of us there, and my buddy's dad was celebrating with us, and he went and bought a bunch of drinks for everybody buying around, right, And he ended up bringing back like eight nine drinks, and the bill was really expensive. And after a while he started to think, like, yeah, I know, buying booze is expensive, but man, some didn't add up, And sure enough he checked the receipt and they had already included gratuity, which I guess because of how many drinks he bought, they were able to do that, but they didn't tell him, so he also tipped on top of that. And I feel like it's a little deceptive if you don't inform somebody whenever the tip is already included whenever they probably aren't expecting it. But I also am not surprised that they'll see if you'll tip them extra. I would have a hard time. What I would fear is the you aren't gonna tell me, because then I would be like, oh, I forgot you know, I don't know. I wouldn't I would not would well leave.
Speaker 3: Them though I wouldn't believe them if they said they forgot oho either.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And look, I am not somebody that would do well at being a server, and they're clearly very important and uh appreciated when you go out to dinner. So but I just you know, you've got to deal with a lot of people and a lot of interaction, and yeah, I would hate to get caught being being deceptive like that, which will keep me from doing it. But hey, maybe they're just trying to make a living. But I believe you should always be transparent. If the tip's already been taken out, let them know. And even if it's on the receipt, I think you should also still let them know. Maybe you're not required to, but anyhow. Or let's get an update on Travick and weather. We'll see what the eroads are looking like out here at Kentuckyana, and also we'll get an update on the forecast and another sport. It's update coming your way as well. Right here our news radio eight forty whas. It's eight forty six here at Kentucky, and it's morning news on news Radio eight forty whas Coffee and Company. And I've got some company right here, as the one and only Tony Venetti has joined me and.
Speaker 3: A bigger stars on the phone. George Timmering from Burno's it's a big day to day, George, Good morning, George.
Speaker 2: Good morning guys. Look I remember Nick Coffee doing the after game late night show Barenos Downtown fifteen years ago with his brother, and now he is the morning guy. I'm the big Stick eighty four whas.
Speaker 1: And one of those shows. Thank you, George, I'm glad you remember that one of those shows. Took place during a season when Louisville won a national championship, So it was it was dude, I'm not taking credit for the championship.
Speaker 2: Yes, I do.
Speaker 1: You remember those those good times. A lot of players would come over afterwards.
Speaker 2: Your brother was better than you. I don't know how you ended up.
Speaker 1: This is my cousin, not my brother. A lot of people assume he's Yes, he's the he's the talent of the family. He just chose to go and he chose to to work in a career where he can make a lot more money than I made.
Speaker 2: Look, we all well, congratulations and it's great to have you on and.
Speaker 1: Thank you appreciate that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you both had similar conversations with your parents. Of course, George went to he's got a law degree from Bandy Son. What are you gonna do? I'm gonna make Pizza's dad, And that's what he did, very very well in your Dwight's.
Speaker 2: People, my friends from school think I made it made sense because they knew how much treat that in college.
Speaker 1: Everybody loves pizza man. Who's happy?
Speaker 3: Are some of your lawyer buddies or you the career path that you have chosen. I would say, you.
Speaker 2: All well appreciate that, but well, we're excited today. It's a huge day. We're we are doing a benefit in memory of Michelle Rush, who is a Crimed against Children detective for the Louisville Metro Police Department. And she was really well liked in and very passionate about our job, and even when she was going through some tough times with chemo and whatnot, kept on fighting for the kids of Louisville and just just hear wonderful things. And she left behind a husband who also is on the police force, and three kids. And we were approached about doing a benefit today and everybody jumped on board, all thirteen area Barons location. So we're excited today. We're going to be doing twenty percent towards through the Rush family, through the Louisville Metro Police Foundation, all day, lunch, dinner. As I always tell people, when you know election time, vote early, and often today I'm saying, order food early and often want to We want people to We want to be packed at Baronos today so that we can give a big check. And then also, you know, today's more than just selling a lot of pizzas, so we can give a good check for the family. It's also about the camaraderie. You know, a lot of the biggest people that always support these benefits for us are always fellow first responders, and first responders really come together when they lose one of their own. It's a special bond. And so there'll be a lot of groups together, please fire ms, all of them meeting together. So it's always it's always. Uh, it's a day that you don't want to have because you know someone has passed. But then on the other hand, you're glad to have the opportunity to at least kind of show some people's support in their time.
Speaker 3: And ee, yeah, we sometimes dismiss the impact of one individual and her impact as a mother, as a wife, as a protector of children. For the city of Louisville. Think about just taking one person out and that void that has to be filled. And the husband now is his needs our help today? I mean he's got a mortgage now that he can't swing unless he gets help. And now he's mom and dad and he needs our help today. And let's just George won't say it, but twenty percent is basically what they make for a day. So give think about your business in thirteen stores and saying we're not going to make money on this day. Look, numbers in restaurants are a small of a margin anyway, So think about doing that in your month and then add it up in the month. But they do it without thinking, and it's good on you, George, and bear knows, So any bear knows today, please please try to stop buy and grab something to eat. And it goes to a great cause.
Speaker 2: And includes southern Indiana and Shepherdsville and then obviously all the Louisville Metro locations and most stores will be cranking up at eleven o'clock this morning, or you can probably even call sooner and get your order in and then be open at least till nine or ten o'clock tonight. You know, all day, all day long.
Speaker 3: The safest place in Louisville today will be any barons. They're going to be police, and every baron knows will be packed with cops. Save his place to have luxur dinner today will be a baros anywhere in town, George, which one will you be working at?
Speaker 2: I will be uh downtown at lunch today. I heard the chief might chief the police might stop by, so uh, you know, we hope we have a big, big crowd for that and and uh you know, like I said, do some good and then as Dwight likes to say, do some good in the neighborhood and uh, you know, let's pack out baronos today and really help this help this family and help uh you know, our first responders. I know Nick was talking earlier about you know, the events of the weekend and how you know these people go in, go in right when other people are running, they're going into trouble, and uh, you know that's that kind of hit home today, you know, important support and everybody today there's no better way to show appreciation to them, to make a big statement today for the Rush family and the Louisville Metro Police Foundation. So appreciate you all letting me on to tell about it, and we'll let's have a big day and thank you guys, and again congratulations Nick on the Morning Show.
Speaker 1: Thank you, George. Appreciate it. I'm sure, buddy, I'm sure there'll be big crowds at the various locations here in Kentucky and Ina, and certainly for a great cause. Just a tragic situation all the way around, and to your point, Tony, when it comes next to George, so it comes to those when it comes to just the outpouring of I mean, you really can sense somebody's impact when something like this, unfortunately happens. And the fraternity that is, those that work in law enforcement, first responders. You're right, every bear knows is going to be packed with transponders, good stuff.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so if you have a warned against you, I wouldn't go. But other than that, have fun.
Speaker 1: Good stuff. Thanks, Thanks, Tony. We'll be well, actually I'll be back in what eighteen hours something like that.
Speaker 3: We'll see here.
Speaker 1: Take care, Tony and Dwier coming up next right here on news Radio Way forty d BHS