Speaker 1: You're listening to Bill Handle on demand from kf I am six forty.
Speaker 2: Ask I am six forty Bill Handle here on a.
Speaker 3: Friday morning, May second. Now we're making.
Speaker 2: The Friday eight o'clock hour a little bit different because I'm off to a doctor's appointment down at the bottom of the hour. So Neil is going to do footy Friday at eight thirty to nine o'clock. And what we're doing now is ask Candle anything from eight day thirty. And the rules are the same with ask Candle anything, because everyone here asks about everyone here.
Speaker 3: You know, what's cobot like, was handled like that sort of thing.
Speaker 2: We've added this segment and it's great fun where you ask me anything and you get to find out a little bit more about me, usually to my level of humiliation. I mean, that's the point of all this, to humiliate myself. And it's a question of advancing the concept of self loathing, which is very important in my life.
Speaker 3: Okay, Neil, by the way, chooses this.
Speaker 2: People record these and on Monday, I'll tell you how to do it, and then I hear them for the first time. Neil and An.
Speaker 3: Choose the question, So let's do it. We'll start with the first one.
Speaker 4: Cono, Hi, Bill, you used to talk about making these ham and cheese sandwiches. Please tell me what is your recipe aside from the obvious? I mean, what kind of bread do you use?
Speaker 1: What kind of ham?
Speaker 4: How much ham? What kind of cheese?
Speaker 2: Okay, fair enough, all right, I'm very French in my approach to ham and cheese sandwhich is very good question. By the way, I just use butter on the bread. Usually the bread is from Costco, either their Chiabottle Roles or sometimes Librea French bread. Ham is from Ralphs or any other store. It's Boar's Head, black Forest Ham mediums and the cheese is from Costco medium cheddar cheese sliced, and I use the appropriate amount to make a sandwich.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 2: Damn, that was a good question. That was deep, wasn't it. That's metaphysical stuff. Man, What I knew you'd like that one I did. You're right, ham and cheese sandwiches, Ham and cheese, my life.
Speaker 3: Here's your choice.
Speaker 2: If I had a choice between ham and cheese sandwiches and having children, Huh, that's no choice, all right, kono.
Speaker 1: Next, So Bill, here's my question. Who's a bigger a hole you or your dad? And why did you become that way?
Speaker 2: Ooh, that is a very good question. Well, first of all, I became that way because of my dad.
Speaker 3: We're different.
Speaker 2: We're different, my dad was. It was pretty rough because my dad was seriously bipolar. We didn't know that he was bipolar at the time. And he came from East Europe, which has a very different culture. So I would say based on that, I am okay.
Speaker 1: Next question, Hey, handle skip from Cape Town.
Speaker 4: Just wondering did they ever catch the guys that broke into the Persian Palace?
Speaker 3: No, they did not.
Speaker 2: This was part of a Chilean gang that goes to neighborhoods and they still have the problem. And what they do is they what they case the neighborhood, throw a ladder up to the second floor where bedrooms are where most of the people keep their jewelry and their money. Don't even attempt to go into the first floor, go up there, break into the bedroom and they're there ninety seconds and clean out the clean out the bedroom, clean out. They go in the closet if there's a safe there. And in my case, and don't tell my ex they took a bunch of really high end purses, for example, that she thought cost a couple of thousand dollars each. They were knockoffs that I bought on the street in MacArthur Park. And the jewelry that she bought that they she thought they had stolen real JEWELRYOSL zirconium.
Speaker 3: So in reality they got two hundred dollars worth of stuff.
Speaker 2: The door cost me a lot of money because they broke through the door, the French doors.
Speaker 1: The eve Saint Lauren, Yeah, the k yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, And it was and they didn't catch them. A couple of other homes in our neighborhood got tagged. That was an instigated community with a twenty four hour guard because it's you know, they pay enough and so yeah, it was tough, all right.
Speaker 5: Another one, Hey, Bill, I was just wondering throughout your legal career, was there ever one case or one project you worked on This stood out as just the best thing that you ever did, and it was just that most memorable thing. I think most people in their career look back on one thing. I was just wondered if you had one.
Speaker 2: Takes all right, Yes, I have a couple of couple of instances that I want to share with you, and this had to do with sperm tests. One of the things when infertile couples came, we had to do a sperm test to find out if the man was in fact fertile. That was an easy one, that was number one, And so I would send the man to the doctor's office.
Speaker 3: And this is going to be in a book if I ever write.
Speaker 2: In one case, the nurse called me up and said that they were obtaining a sperm test. The wife went in with him and all they heard was banging and screaming and moaning in the room and they had to go in and go This is not quite the way it works. The other one is we had another case where the man goes in and we don't know what happened, but what ends up happening is going in and producing a sperm specimen is pretty specific.
Speaker 3: There's alcohol involved and cleaning and you.
Speaker 2: Know, do you know, just it's almost a medical procedure, and there's a little dixie cup involved where the sperm is put in, and what apparently happened is he missed the dixie cup and the sperm flew over the end and ended up on the carpeted floor and then he scooped up the sperm and gave it to the lab tech who looked in their microphone microscope and saw all of this incredible gunk that it was incredible, just insane.
Speaker 1: Nine polyester, sir, that's right, hey Bill, there's two more, but you seriously, this is the highlights of your career. Now.
Speaker 2: The other one is I had an Israeli guy who came in we needed a sperm specimen, and he said, I don't do this by myself.
Speaker 3: I only do this with women.
Speaker 2: I go, what are you talking about it? He goes, I never masturbate, and I went, oh, good god. So what I had to do was I had to arrange for him to go to one of those massage parlors down on Willshire Boulevard that Korean's run. And this is not anti Korean, that's just a fact. And had to call the lady who was jabbering in Korea Korean could barely talk and say I need help, and that thing about in order to produce this for legal Yes it is, because it's for medical purposes. I don't know if it's legal or not, but that's the only way we get a best specimen, and you know those are I have dozens of those.
Speaker 3: Now my favorite one, okay.
Speaker 2: Because it worked because then the sperm specimen went to the doctor and went fine and there.
Speaker 3: Was no polyester in it. Okay.
Speaker 2: So now my favorite one was in those early days to find out if a man was fertile.
Speaker 3: One of the tests.
Speaker 2: That were done, and it's kind of interesting stuff, was the host hamster test.
Speaker 3: It just so happens that hamster eggs.
Speaker 2: The zona around the egg is almost identical to humans. And to see if the sperm had the ability to break through and enter the egg, took hamster eggs and what they would do is they would superovulate the hamsters to produce a whole lot of eggs, break the hamster's neck, kill it, retrieve the eggs, and then in a petri dish the sperm was put in to see if the sperm could actually penetrate the egg.
Speaker 3: Now, of course, once it did.
Speaker 2: The egg disintegrated because you know, I mean, there's no such thing as humesters, so that doesn't exist. So what I would do, and Will is looking at me, so what I would do? And this is why, Now, this is why I wonder how I had a successful legal practice, because what I would do is I would tell my couple, particularly the husband, and I would say, and I want to explain the test, and that is the hass hamster tests.
Speaker 3: So I want you to know what's going on that will.
Speaker 2: Was your sperm to fertilize those hamster eggs, as weird as it sounds. And by the way, ignore the fact that they put a duct tape around the hamster so it doesn't explode. Now, Uh, that was a tough one. You get it, hamster? So does Okay?
Speaker 3: He did?
Speaker 1: All right? Uh?
Speaker 3: And there are there's there's a book in there. Okay.
Speaker 1: Next question, hey, Bill, just a question I was wondering.
Speaker 6: Is it true that they must check a new pope to make sure he has you know, yea Mahony's in order to come.
Speaker 3: That is yes, And I'll tell you why.
Speaker 1: I thought there was mentioned that a few months ago.
Speaker 2: But there was a woman pope actually, and people didn't know it was a woman.
Speaker 3: This is a story that some.
Speaker 2: People say is apocryphal, other say it is legitimate. And this was in I think the fourteen hundreds, in which a woman became pope and they do check the pope is held up on a sedan chair which is carried and as part of the part of the panoply.
Speaker 3: Now is that true?
Speaker 7: Yes?
Speaker 2: Probably, And to check if you know, there's now you've heard of. When the pope issues a statement is called a papal ball, a papal bull.
Speaker 3: This is a papal ball.
Speaker 2: So when the pope issues papal bulls, he also checks to see if papal balls.
Speaker 3: By the way, that part I but it's.
Speaker 2: Well, that was just funny to me, But the rest of it is is true.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, they checked the balls. Okay, one more good good questions today.
Speaker 7: Yes, Bill, did you meet your current wife on the same website that Bill Belichick used? And also would you ever like to go on a double date with him?
Speaker 2: Hmm, Well, actually, I don't think I was in the same one. What I was doing, I was going on Grinder and mistakenly I went on another website that turned out to be a straight website. No, I actually met my current wife at an event, at a KFI event, and we started talking and so yeah, all right, guys, now, no, and I do not want to go on a double date with Bill Belichick?
Speaker 3: Okay, not at all interested. Yeah, all right, we're done, guys. That was fun. That was fun. Yeah, I enjoyed that.
Speaker 1: I swear to you. I had no idea where you were going to go for the career highlight, and that was not what I expected.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Well, if ever I get a question about the career highlight on my broadcast life, that's going to be interesting because there is a case that is just great.
Speaker 3: Fun I tell you about it. Okay, that's it. I'm done.
Speaker 1: All right. Bill Handle showed Neil savadri here and the morning crew finishing up this Foody Friday with Foody Friday as Bill Handle had to run to a medical appointment. Let's hope it deals with his brain. Potato chips, we all love them, right, Who doesn't love good potato chips? Will what's your go to? If you have potato chips in your house, what's what's your jam? Sir? Well?
Speaker 6: I love the trashy Cheetos myself, but potato.
Speaker 1: Chips I'm talking. No, I'm talking strictly potato chips, and we all do.
Speaker 2: By the way.
Speaker 1: I like those potato chips with the sea salt and the vinegar. I can't think of the name of them.
Speaker 6: Kettle corn okay, yeah, or kettle chips, right, kettle chips yeah, yeah, yeah, very good. Okay, and Amy, what about you, what's your potato chips? Yeah, it's definitely kettle chips.
Speaker 1: Kettle chips.
Speaker 6: Yeah. They have a salt and pepper flavored and they have a truffle flavored.
Speaker 1: It is delicious, really well. No truffle oil is I find white truffle oil to be not so great. It was really popular for a while, but it's.
Speaker 6: It smells a little funky, but its truffles is the thing.
Speaker 1: Most of it isn't made troubles, so it tastes it kind of. But I'll have to try those. I don't think I've tried them. And kno, what's the use, sir. I'm a traditionalist. Just lays laser yellow lay. Yeah, that's a laser in my house. And another one that is in our house that is a big deal around here is cape cod. They are also kettle style cooked potato chips original sea salt, but we keep those in the house. Why do I tell you this because Food and Wine just did a potato chip taste test and the first time they've ever had a perfect score for a food item was these particular ones, the cape cod kettle cooked potato chips original Sea Salt. If you get a chance, try them. They really are fantastic. A slightly thicker, great crunch to them. But I was blown away by that, so listen that that came out top. The second was Trader Joe's owed to the classic potato chip, and I've not had that one. Has anybody experienced the flavors that are owed to the classic potato chip? So that came in as the best classic. Best overall was cape cod and best crinkle cut was Ruffles, which I like ruffles. They've got ridges. Ruffles have ridges, and those are also good in your blowny sandwiches or whatever throw them on there or burden. I love potato chips on sandwiches. Yeah, right, the best Ye you feel like a scientist as a kid when you do that. You're like, I have I have created something that no one will ever ever eat before ever, And then you find out every single kid in their life restaurant quality see Sea salt kettle cooked. Also the kettle. I think the thing with the kettle, they're slightly thicker and crunchier. Right, that's that's the jam. But see is is really coming into its own By the way, they are all over the place. Theirs are done in avocado oil and they are Vegan honorable mention, Boulder Canyon olive oil, Classic Sea Salt, So none of these are the crazy stuff. They're all in the classic brand. But I thought, you know, for someone like Food and Wine, which I do enjoy reading, by the way, and encourage you. They're at Food and Wine dot Com broke down and they have they have a group of tasters that they put these before, and everyone judges them separately, and they come together and explain as to what they like about them. I think that in the case of these overall potato chips, it seems that the crunch factor and that kettle corn factor or not kettle corn, but the kettle style cook process is really what put these out. But if you haven't tried cape cod, I highly recommend them. But I'm a laized guy too, so we usually have lays here and cape cod are our jams. Last night I made cheeseburgers for my boy because it comes to daddy and he says, Daddy, can you make me your extra juicy cheeseburgers? And he thinks they're the best. What does that do for my pride? Everything? Yeah, you can walk around with the title of folk reporter, but until your son says, Daddy, can you make me an extra juice cheese burger, then you'll never do anything else. So cape Cod check chips are my lead on that one as well. I will tell you the kettle style chips. And this works for kettle or the cape cod or any of those things. You want to try something really fun, you put you mix a little bit of smoked salmon in with some cream cheese, and you put it on those chips and then you top it with little black caveaar. Come on now, good night, Irene. Crunch on that little sexy little flavor there, all right? I invite you to join me tomorrow for the Fok Report starting it too. It's official. The Dubai chocolate. Have you tried the do Bui chocolate anyone? Okay? So it's they originally had come to Costco in their chocolate form. It's a pistachio chocolate there. It's decadent't and luxurious and kind of light. My wife had some wasn't crazy about it. I think it's incredibly good, but I couldn't have a lot like I will do a little square and taste it. It's kind of hard to explain. It's almost like it's almost like they crunched down or stripped down the pistachio in a way that it's almost like a little haystack, sort of not quite like coconut or something, but it's the way it's processed is a little different than you'd expect, and so it gives this kind of lighter It's crunchy, but it's more on the crispy side that it is what you'd expect crunchiness with a nut or something like that. Well, Costco had them in certain areas they would sell out all the time. So I started seeing the flavors and the combinations popping up. And it always happens this way when it comes to food things. They become trends, people get excited about them, they pop up everywhere, and then sometimes they go away. In this particular case, the next incarnation at Costco is this ice cream bar. So you can go into the frozen section and they have this you know, hand dipped frozen dessert thing, but it's filled with pistachio ice cream topped with crunchy milk chocolate coating, and it's inspired apparently by that incredibly instagramble and you know, popping up everywhere chocolate bar called the Dubai Chocolate. Again, like I said, it's very tasty, but it is it's expensive as hell if you can find it when you come across it, And so this just sounds like it's going to be an inexpensive way to enjoy some of those flavors. As far as experience, we shall see. But as I always do for a handle, I'd like to put some costco stuff in there so that he can enjoy himself and feel like he's at the forefront, forefront rather of food trends. This was one that I had talked about on the show before, on the Forek Report many times. And it's an interesting thing about copy copyrights when it comes to food. When somebody writes a book, you assume that you can't copy anything of that book because of copyright plagiarism. Right. The difficulty when it comes to cookbooks is that you can't copyright a recipe. A recipe is considered a list. And I had a great conversation with my buddy Joe Escalante in addition to being a world renowned bass player for the Vandals, at All is also an attorney, an entertainment attorney, and he and I had a long talk about this and he was explaining how it also has a show on our sister station. By the way, on Sundays, they're on KEIB. So the strange thing is that you can trademark certain proprietary things like the coca cola recipe or how they're combined, but the ingredients themselves. It's like trying to copyright your grocery list, you know, it's technically just and when it comes to baking, it's so much science that you can't. Of course, you're gonna there's basic ratios, if you will, a great book by the same name. Ratios is based on the fact that cookies, cakes, vinaigrettes, they're all based on basic ratios of fat, flower and these types of things that in a particular case that has come to the attention of Australians and now going throughout the world of food, is that you have two food writers accused now accusing Brooke Bellaby. She's a food influencer there out of Australia, but she's been accused of copying their recipes. But unless you're copying word for word, there the content of their book, there's like this big gray area whether this is even possible to bring into court. So there's a lot of recipes I come across that are very similar, if not identical, that I've seen in two different books by two different writers. There are certain things that you're going to come across in unless they're a name like the krona. You remember the kronut praised from years ago Ansel whose last name escapes me, It came up with the cronat the difficulty of a corona, which is part croissoon clisson and part donut, is that it is a laminated dough. It's got fat in between. In this case it's butter, and that's what makes it so fluffy and delicious. Well, you're taking a laminated dough that has, by its very nature of fat inside it and you're frying it. And so that process couldn't be copyrighted, but the name could. So you could do something similar, but you couldn't call it a crona. So there's weird things like that that the eleven herbs and spices or what have you that combination. In the way that they're used, maybe you might be able to protect to the best of your ability, But once they came out, you couldn't accuse If you put them in your own recipe book and said, hey, here's eleven herbs and some spices that I like to put in my fried chicken, there's nothing that they could do to you. Now, if the technique in the case of Kentucky fried chicken they use broasting broasting is frying under pressure, that there might be certain techniques that you could copyright or trademark or whatever. But I just thought, what an interesting concept. Because I've looked at you know, you look at my chocolate chip cookie recipe, You're going to find similarity jeeze to every chocolate chip cookie recipe because the ratios of fat and sugar and flour and egg are going to be similar because you're doing a dozen and you're gonna need a fat both for flavor, moisture and structure. You're going to need eggs for structure and flavor and moisture. You're going to need flour for crumb and structure. So there's going to be things that are similar. So if you come across stuff and one book or another cookbook that might be similar doesn't mean that they're next. That's necessarily plagiarism. So we're going to follow this particular court case if it even gets there, because a lot of judges are saying, listen, I don't even know how we'd look at this, because you know, a quarter cup of flour or a couple of eggs or whatever, how could that be considered as proprietary in one way or the other. Kind of an interesting twist on food that I wanted to bring to you, all right, stick around for Gary and Shannon, have a wonderful weekend. I will see you on the flip side tomorrow for of course the Fork Report, and happy to be there with you. So stick around throughout the day, have a great weekend, and I will see you tomorrow. Thanks to Amy and Will and Kono and Gary Shannon. Up next is KFI and KOSTHD to Los Angeles, Orange County.
Speaker 3: You've been listening to the Bill Handle Show.
Speaker 2: Catch My show Monday through Friday six am to nine am, and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio app.