Speaker 1: In June, the United States and Iran signed a memorandum of understanding to cease hostilities, but it hasn't held. Both sides have continued to exchange file the Strait of Hormos has hardly reopened. So does Iran want to deal? Joining me now is doctor Sanam Vakil, director of the Middle East and North Africa Program at Chathamhouse SL I'm welcome. So first, will it be fair to say that we're sort of fundamentally where we are because the United States is looking for a kind of quick exit, almost to kind of quick transaction to get the straight open, and the Iranians are looking for some kind of long term resolution to the broad issue of the hostility between the United States and Iran.
Speaker 2: Well. President Trump has always celebrated the fact that he is a deal maker, a transactional president, if you will. But what we have observed and learned since he's come into office, particularly in this second administration, is that the quick transactions are not delivering sustainable peace processes or even sustainable MOUs and that is what's problematic. The problems of the Middle East can't be resolved in a quick transaction. They're all interconnected, they're transnational and they require deeper negotiations that this administration, but perhaps also the international community today is not really prepared to invest in.
Speaker 1: So what kind of a deal does Iran want? What does Iran want here?
Speaker 2: I ultimately still believe that Iran does want the bigger deal. It does need to unlock sanctions, relief and frozen assets and come to a modus vivendi with the United States. But I think it recognizes that in this Trump administration there are divisions within Trump's circle. The president, of course, is increasingly frustrated, and it recognizes that it probably cannot get that bigger deal out of this administration. So it's seeking to preserve its leverage, and that includes the Strait of Hormuz, which is, you know, what it got out of the war. Secondly, of course, it still has its nuclear program, which is unresolved, of course buried, to use President Trump's words. So it needs to maintain this leverage and try to achieve something at the negotiating table when the time is right, when both parties are actually willing to concede in a meaningful.
Speaker 1: Way, can they take the pain? The economy is in terrible shape, you know, these bombings must have destroyed it. Further, they're being sanctioned, you know, are they? Is it possibly? Run is overplaying its hand. It's it's in some sense tactically one right. It has. It has achieved what was trying to do. Should they not be searching for a way out more more.
Speaker 3: Than they are?
Speaker 2: I personally believe they should. I think they are overplaying their head. And I think that the longer this war goes on, it will boomerang back on them the region. Iran's neighbors wholly oppose this war and have worked very hard diplomatically to mediate and to find off ramps. And the longer this goes on, the more Iran and Iran back groups continue to spread the conflict around the region, the more there will be a sort of anti Iran alliance developing. And I think that's problematic for Iran. But the Iranians, to answer your question, don't make existential decisions based on macroeconomic indicators. They see this war as do or die for them, and they not only need to survive, they need to merge from this war with cards in their hand that they can play at the negotiating table. And they don't want to be cowed by President Trump or forced to submit like the Venezuelans were.
Speaker 1: So, if there was one thing you would tell American policy makers to understand right now to get out of this mess, what would it be?
Speaker 2: I would say that they need to understand their adversary. This adversary doesn't only answer to pressure, that incentives inducements, and proper negotiations is the way through and the way out of this mess. The United States and President Trump can be lured into a two week bombing campaign and that can damage and destroy Iran's territory further. But Iran is willing to absorb those hits and absorb those costs if it means that it can still retain its leverage at the negotiating table. So I think the President should be focusing on the diplomatic track, not just the military truck.
Speaker 4: Right now, appears Iran is not talking directly with the US. What can truly be accomplished without direct talks.
Speaker 5: Well, let's go back to the MoU that was signed back in June, and I don't have the exact language in front of me, but it told Iran to work with Oman to develop a mechanism for managing navigation in the Strait that would be consistent with international law and the sovereign rights.
Speaker 3: Of the coastal states.
Speaker 5: So the MoU does tell Iran to work through Aman on this or work through this with Oman. I would expect then as it becomes public, both regional allies will have an opinion, and as I understand, they're generally favorable of whatever it is that it says, and the US will have an opinion as well. But at this point I'm not shocked that Iran is working through the mechanism with Oman. Solely, I think we need to see what it says, what the provisions are that are within that agreement.
Speaker 4: Okay, meanwhile, there's threat going back and forth. Right now, what do you believe Iran feels about this last chance threat?
Speaker 5: So I think in some I'm not going to say, they feel that they called the president's bluff, but the President backed off. I think it for a variety of reasons, one of them probably being that key allies in the Gulf, particularly the Saudis, convinced him that it was time to prioritize diplomatic efforts as opposed to additional military action. Even though US Central Command has done a lot to destroy Iranian naval capability.
Speaker 3: They haven't eliminated.
Speaker 5: The threat in the Strait of the hormones, nor can they, and there's no indication that they've moved the needle on Iran's strategic calculus, so you know, there might be some question on the efficacy of those strikes. The other thing I'd say is Iran's activities of the last two weeks demonstrating that their range and ability to hold regional energy infrastructure at risk goes far beyond the straight support moves, whether it's the hu thies down at the Babble Mandeb, attacks against ports in the Red Sea, or even as far as Egypt.
Speaker 3: I think our golf.
Speaker 5: Allies convinced the President that this is not the time to try a very large military campaign against Iran, and then again to prioritize those diplomatic efforts.
Speaker 4: Okay, we also have Secretary of Rubio who's saying US was involved in the negotiations between Iran and Oman. On the straight, Iran has set its goal and talks with theman is to set temporary arrangements lasting one to three months, where and here's the quote, where Iran is dominant.
Speaker 3: Would the US agree.
Speaker 4: To that do they have a vote or even a choice at this point?
Speaker 5: Those are great questions. I think, you know, we need to see what it looks like. I think two things that three things maybe that we'll look at.
Speaker 3: One is what kind of fee structure, if any?
Speaker 5: Is there is there some voluntary fee as the initial reporting said, that would help pay for search and rescue, for the cost of administering navigation, for environmental damage or.
Speaker 3: Is it a flat out toll.
Speaker 5: I think that's definitely something that not just the US but the rest of the world would oppose. And then what kind of coordination will occur between Iran and Oman in terms of the channels.
Speaker 3: That they manage.
Speaker 5: Perhaps that's where Iran seeks to be dominant. And then third, what will be done in terms of d mining and making the channels safe for Iranian for commercial traffic?
Speaker 3: Again in the strait of horror movees. Okay, we have about a minute left.
Speaker 4: Iran is threatening to strike the US navy as well if this US blockade against Iranian ports continues. What is their capacity to do that at this point?
Speaker 5: Yeah, so, you know, they've definitely shown a capacity to hit civilian vessels, and that's what has essentially kept the straight closed. US naval assets have far more robust protections I think in terms of their threat agrants. The US Navy, perhaps Iranian thinking, is open for open. If we open the straits, we expect you to reopen our ports and that and hence a need to lift the blockade. So that's another thing we'll need to watch