Speaker 1: Streaming live on the Ihearts Radio. While this is Eye on the Ball with Steve Rivera on Fox Sports fourteen fifty.
Speaker 2: And welcome back to the ball here on Fox Sports fourteen fifty, Young Steve Rivera. Your Troy. I just said, in case you didn't know, go easy, Go easy dot com. You're busy with her.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know, I've got recruiting stuff up right now. Carter Bryant news and yeah, I don't know if that's news, that's still news. Yeah, but still I mean, finally made the decision. You got to do it.
Speaker 2: Any news in the summer is good news or whatever.
Speaker 3: And then obviously the official visit weekend, Izona had a busy weekend there.
Speaker 2: Did they get to he said, commitments? He said commitments. I'm sure they did.
Speaker 3: They haven't really said who they are, hold the people, the people who they are. But remember they have that for star quarterback in the names escaping me right now. But that is committed to Oklahoma. I think it's Jane and O'Neill Arizona was heavily involved in him, and he was here this weekend and did take photos with the coaching staff and did the hype stuff. So maybe a flip. Maybe a flip there. Okay, a lot of Texas guys.
Speaker 2: Do you think the second year for for coach but better? Yeah? Second year because.
Speaker 3: I think one you fix the issues on your coaching staff. You needed to revamp your offensive staff.
Speaker 2: What issues? Tell me?
Speaker 3: Can you say, yeah, Dino Babers was horrible. Let's let's be honest.
Speaker 2: I'm pay more personality than than the game in terms of personnel. If you can, you can you fix in.
Speaker 3: Terms of player personnality? Yeah, I think he could fill some holes that you.
Speaker 2: Had on the d line by by by the new coaches or the personality might not have been there or added to that too. Yeah, you know was to me very maybe pat his prime.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, No, I mean great coach in terms of he's known for what he did at Syracuse. He's known for what he did at Arizona before.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: But you know, when you're doing the same stuff that you did back then, it's not going to work. Yeah, And you got to be adaptable, so you get some youth movement in there. I think some things happened on the defensive side of the ball. In terms of injuries, there's just so many injuries last year for them that I kind of spiraled out of control and maybe you need a little restart there and a little refresher there. And then in the transfer portal, just as guys that they added on the d line and secondary added some key receivers. I think they're able to piece together a solid twenty twenty six or sorry, solid twenty twenty five roster coming up in a team that can compete for a bowl game.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so what was the end result for the.
Speaker 3: Recruiting did you say end result for it was on a football recruiting I think they finished at in the forties, around forty one, which is good, especially after the year that they just had.
Speaker 2: No question, but I think isn't what they sells playing time and a new world.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they got to do right now? What else in Arizona and you're gonna play you know? But you know that's what Jed sold and he was able to have that top twenty recruiting class that finished at nineteen. But you're talking about a program that had a lot of hype around it entering the season. You fell on your face, you took your lumps, and you just revamped, retooled your coaching staff, and you're able to piece together a very strong recruiting class for having, let's be honest, a disappointing season for what everybody thought and including probably what coach Brennan thought they were going to do last year.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Anthony, Julia, are you listening to me? Because he sent me something like out of the blue, and I don't know what the hell he was talking about with basketball or football and predictions from back in the day twenty years ago. He said he finally got one twenty years ago. Ye hadn't been right since what prediction? Well, that Arizona or Washington was going to win the league? And I said Arizona and he said Washington. So I was assuming it's basketball twenty years ago. You might have to look that up. I just texted them back. I don't know where that came from. Hey, Steve, remember this day back in twenty What the hell twenty years ago? Don't remember? Ultimate historians? Yeah, thanks for Google, the access all this newspaper stuff. What the hell was the newspaper? So he's here, he's texting me back for whatever reason. Anybody want to call get in the fight with us or otherwise. He's called five two zero four, one six seventy four forty. I wanted to get into the Mike Leach el Jibouti with the Hall of Fame because I know there was a group here. So it was basketball twenty years ago? Washington? Who they have? Did they have the little guard Leftyia?
Speaker 4: No?
Speaker 2: No, no, no, that was twenty years ago. The paper was still around fifteen, uh, fifteen years ago. I closed in two thousand and nine. Twenty years ago was fifteen? No, I don't know, fifteen, twenty fifteen. I come on the ten years ago Steve, who does math five five? That was the year of Okay, that was the year of Did they have what's his name from Portland? Rogers?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 2: No, no, no, Washington they had the guy that was the star in Portland?
Speaker 5: Got right?
Speaker 3: Yeah, No, that was way before that before yeah, yeah, because I was still Randon Roy there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that was a long time ago. I don't know what the heck he's sending me this for. Make sure you hit the button because I might cost here in a second when I get stuff like this. Mhm, Okay, anybody want to call again? We have time here for seventeen. We're gonna have Justin Spears on to talk about his his golf tournament that just happened then, and what's going on in the football program. If he's ever going to take a day off, what it will be because he has football coming up here pretty soon. And then he's there's so short staffed at that paper that everybody's taking on different things. Yeah, you know, welcome to the wordal media, baby, and welcome to the world of media. It is what it is. Dreamt of doing this. I did. You know why I need to have different dreams. It's funny because when I was going to the business a thousand years ago, back in eighty late seventies eighties. Got to tell you how old I am. We had some reporters go to the high school and kind of, oh, I want to be you, blah blah blah. You don't want to be us. The paper, the papers are dwindling. This is forty years ago, right, forty five years ago, and the paper, the jobs are fewer, blah blah blah. You know, me being stupid at eighteen, it's not gonna happen to me. I don't have to worry. It's not gonna happen to me. Then you go to college and become a journalism a major blah blah blah. Things are fantastic, and for twenty three years they were pretty good until the paper clothes And you're thinking, damn, I should have listened to that, dude.
Speaker 3: I remember my first class of the UFA. We had Damien Alameda in the class. Yeah, they said, Okay, if you're in it for the money and all that, walk out this store right now, right, good, nice, good, but good. Yes, but if you want to, if you're interested, buckle up.
Speaker 2: It's a good life. No hell, let me tell you I have a great life now. I covered I do this, I do other things for other people, and hey, I just need to see the end of the road. And he gets over there. It's a light coming from a train. But you know, you know it is so NBA Finals.
Speaker 3: Yes, you got the Pacers and you have the thunder right, a little bit of a surprise. I think nobody would have picked the Pacers at the beginning of this whole thing. And you look at the markets and no offense to Oklahoma City, no offense in Indiana. This might be the least viewed NBA Finals.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Ever, I saw that there was a story with Adam Silver talking about this, He said, the dilemma is not the two teams in it, but there was another dilemma. And I didn't have enough courage to click on the link to see what the dilemma was, but you'd see it. It's not as sexy. It's the teams. It's the team. But you know what, it's going to be a pretty good one because they're both very athletic and very good. Yeah. And who would have this when was TJ here December? They was here this year, right, and the team was here. So you had an NBA team that's in the finals in McHale watching Carlisle the head coach and everything. Yeah, them to support TJ. Yeah, And who would have thought that at the time. I don't think anybody. I think, you know, Indiana had a very good roster, and I think you know, if you looked at them, you thought they were probably a year away, a year or two away from and adding a few pieces from potentially doing something like this. But the playoffs Tyler Haliburton's ad. TJ has had a phenomenal playoffs. Pascal Siakam, they've just gelled, They've just figured out yell at the right time, and and the Thunder. They're just they're just talent. Okay, see, okay, see and how many let's see.
Speaker 3: I like Indiana. I want Indiana to win. You have ave ties, and I just like Rick Carlisle as a head coach. But yeah, I think the Thunder are going to win this one.
Speaker 2: Yeah, me too. At six, I picked both of them. You know, my boy Chris owes me some money here because I have both sides of it. But it's not a sex it's not a sexy one because you do want, you know, some of the sexier teams in it. And we drew. We went, yeah, we went. It took twenty from me and I took it back.
Speaker 3: You know, how badly do you think the NBA wanted at least that New York pace re siies Go seven?
Speaker 2: Probably?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean that that was the last, you know, major headline matchup.
Speaker 2: New York might have burned down had they won the day. You've been there a few times, never never, never been there a few times. I'll take it, I'll leave it. I won't take it. My son went to school in that area. So but I really like New York. Too many people, too many craziness. I like Mayberry here in Tucson. You sound like a people person. Huh how you many people? Excuse me? Excuse me? Could you tell me how to get the one hundred and seven and sixty third.
Speaker 6: Third?
Speaker 2: You can take a camp I can see it from here. It's like when you go to Vegas and you're at the you're at the MGM. How do you get to the stratosphere. It's right there, see the big building. Oh yeah, it's right there. I walk and it's like forever, right, it's forever. Yeah.
Speaker 3: I remember one time, I think it was the first year we went to the Backdall tournament early as I did, and I was like, I want to walk to Caesar's Palace. I want to see like the fountains and everything. I got like a quarter of the way. I'm like, you know, take I can see it on the TV. Or I'm going back.
Speaker 2: Yeah, evil, Evil is not jumping any Let's go back, I know, because it's right there right until it's not yeah, until you have to go up down round side right right. Well. Uh, maybe the tournament will eventually get back to Vegas. I was just there three weeks ago. For it's expensive, man always, yeah, no, it's more expensive when you lose, well, doesn't helps to win. I think I had pizza for three days. You know that twenty dollars pizza you're on the the McDonald's. Yeah, even those things, but it is what it is. Anybody want to call. We got about five minute stuff in this segment five two, four, one forty. I think this is what my summer's gonna go, kind of like rambling and rambling until.
Speaker 3: We get to the well, you know, opportunity for top ten lists, top moment lists.
Speaker 2: All that. That's what that's a blake. Blake who loves music will be doing a lot of stuff like that. And you know some different guests, non sports guys with with film, with film and stuff. The best game you ever covered, although you're just like two years into your profession, the best game I've ever covered.
Speaker 3: At the top of my head, I'll go to college basketball Arizona Ucla and the championship game.
Speaker 2: The I think twelve that's when the last shot, when Ben Natherin hit that shot.
Speaker 3: No, no, no, that's when who hit the I think Love hit the shot, and then or or Amy hit the shot.
Speaker 2: I think Ramy hit the shot.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and then the Ucla guard whose names escaping here was a freshman, got a wide open look at the three point line and hit the front of the iron.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Really, that was a good game in terms of like big moment stuff, you know. But I think my all time favorite that I've covered is probably the Women's College World Series. The first game, uh Arizona making it back Andrea's first trip in X amount of years.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that kind of that kind of gave him that goodbye.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well that was his first and then he went one more time and left.
Speaker 2: But Arizonna beat Washington.
Speaker 3: I can't remember what the score was, but it was like ninety five degrees outside, ninety percent humidity, and you're just roasting out there in Oklahoma. Yeah, but it's this legend of the game returning to a stadium that, let's be quite honest, he helped grow in.
Speaker 2: Terms of SOFA.
Speaker 3: It was just amazing to see that moment in him taking you know, BP and fungo with the team and hitting the ball around and getting ready for the game that he does here at Rita.
Speaker 2: But it's different when it's on that type of stage. Sure. In fact, you could tell when he got there finding after all these years of you know, missing a few years and then his final time, how emotional it was when they finally got there, right, And that's that's when he finally said goodbye.
Speaker 3: A week or so later, well, the day after the last game, when they lost. The day after the game, he announced it, right, But everybody in that building, well everybody knew for about at least a week pretty much. And I remember after they lost to Florida State, you know, you say, oh, you know, baseball's you know whatever they say about how can you not be romantic about baseball?
Speaker 2: Softball?
Speaker 3: The day the moment they lost, all of a sudden rain came in and it set in. It like a two hour rain delay. It was like, you know, the softball gods were crying that coach, and Gray was never gonna.
Speaker 2: Did you write it that way? You didn't, You did that. I was trying to get something up there. My bad, I did not. But yeah, so do you tell pictures your picture teller? You're a storyteller. You're right. Clouds opened up and cried for who none other than Mike Kentry.
Speaker 3: But yeah, Wednesday lost that all of a sudden, the rain came in and entered the delay, and yeah, next thing, you know, you're back here in Tucson. He retires, keeling low' higher and You're like, okay, guys, slow down, I just did a seventeen hour.
Speaker 2: Drive you and kill me? Then okay, let's take a break from and get ahold of Justin Spears.
Speaker 5: Are you ready?
Speaker 7: Ready to discover your soul, your wild side, your passion, your joy and excitement. From the latest slots and table games, to award winning dining, to world class entertainment to a luxurious resort. Discover all this and more. Discover with Soul Casino del Soul, the Soul of Tucson. Are you ready Enterprise of Fasco Yuki Try The.
Speaker 8: Window Depot has everything you need to create the kitchen or bathroom of your dreams. Browsey aisles of instock cabinets available in a variety of sizes and configurations, and instantly elevate your space.
Speaker 2: Today.
Speaker 8: Visit a showroom and let our experts guide you. Whether you're choosing for ready to go designs or creating a custom masterpiece. We can help you select the perfect wood, type, color and style and top it off with unique hardware to complete your love. Find a location near you at the Window Deepot Dot com the window depot more than a windows store.
Speaker 2: Steve Rivera here to talk about Dorato Rock Materials. I needed a lot of gravel for my driveway, so I called Eric at Dorato Rock. He found out the amount and color I needed and boom, it was taken care of and at a great price. How do I know radio commercials work. I heard one of his on the radio. Dorato Rock Materials provides a wide range of landscaping materials, including decorative rock, boulders, gravel, soil, and sand for residential and commercial use in the Tucson area. They are locally owned and have been around for more than fifteen years. We'll call at five two zero four zero zero four two.
Speaker 9: Spring is in the air and the school year is coming to a close. Time to order your academic and spring sports awards for your student athlete. Creative Awards with fifty two years as your top awards and promotional product supplier.
Speaker 2: Give them an award they can be proud of.
Speaker 9: They have trophies, blacks, acrylics, art class, fine crystal, metal, name badges, stock and custom awards. Come visit the Creative Awards Idea Center at two twenty eight Westtrackman Street, across the street from PEMA College Downtown campus, or visit them online at Creative Awards az dot com.
Speaker 10: At Nova home Loans, we believe everyone deserves the opportunity to enjoy the independence that comes with home ownership. Paul Volpi is ready to help you find an option that best fits your needs. Whether you're a first time or veteran home buyer or want to get cash out with the refinance. Nova has a variety of home loan programs to meet your unique situation. Visit voltpeteam dot com, That's volpe team dot com or called five two oh six eight five six two six Today in MLS three oh eight seven arizon A b K nine two nine four two Equal Housing Opportunity, How to commitment to Lyndrixson credit in aevaiable loan programs of su uch Change Undice.
Speaker 5: Did you know?
Speaker 11: Collecting sports cards is one of the fastest growing hobbies around. Whether you're looking at start or expand your collection, Showtime Cards is your ultimate destination. As one of the leading card shops in the country, we've been serving our community for over twenty five years with the best in sports cards and trading card games from Rare fines to the latest releases.
Speaker 2: Showtime Cards has it all.
Speaker 11: Check them out at Showtimecards dot com or visit them on East Speedway and discover why collectors everywhere trust Showtime Cards for their passion.
Speaker 9: Richard Bacall Law Office defending arizonas for over thirty years and a Wildcat fan for over sixty. If you need an experienced criminal defense attorney, call Richard McCall five two oh seven to four to Roh twelve thirteen, broud sponsor of I on the Ball.
Speaker 5: Go cats, got bugs, termites, bees, or rodents, Arizona Pest Control will hunt them down. Arizona Pest Control is your complete desert pest management specialists. That's can't run or hide from Arizona Pest Control. They use only the latest and most technologically advances methods of pest elimination available, which minimizes the effects on the environment. Let Arizona Pest Control get rid of your bad bugs, termites, bees, or rodents. Serving Tucson in southern Arizona since nineteen forty seven. Go to azypest dot com to schedule your free evaluation today.
Speaker 2: WI mining so important.
Speaker 12: It's the foundation of everything that defines a society. Everything you see is a product of mine, no matter when, no matter how, no matter why. Every society on this planet has developed, grown and modernized based solely on the minerals appen process. That's why mining is so important.
Speaker 2: Godybybm dot com.
Speaker 8: Looking for quality windows without the weight, Come to the Window Depot. We carry a huge selection of mill Guard windows in stock now and ready for pickup. Need something custom no problem, from new construction to full home replacement. Will help you order the perfect mill Guard windows built to fit your space, style and budget. Whether you're a homeowner or contractor, the Window Depot makes it easy to get the windows you need fast. Visit the Window Deepot dot com to find a location near you and see why we're your Millgard window experts.
Speaker 1: Streaming live on the iHeartRadio WAB, this is I on the Ball with Steve Rivera on Fox Sports fourteen fifty.
Speaker 2: Hey, welcome back to you guy on the ball here Fox Sports fourteen fifty. I'm Steve Rivera, your Troy Hutchison knowing for we have colleague radio guy writer, guy magazine guy, football beat writer Justin Spears waiting for an Emmy here in about ten years. How are you doing justin.
Speaker 13: What's going on? Guys? Thanks for having me on.
Speaker 2: How is that Shoindig Swing dig yesterday over the weekend?
Speaker 13: The golf tournament what you're asking about?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 4: Yeah, man, it was a lot of fun, man, it really was. This was a tournament that I wouldn't even call it necessarily a tournament. It's just a one day event. But it's a scramble event that my brother and I wanted to put together a few years ago.
Speaker 13: You know, I remember vividly.
Speaker 4: I was standing in the kitchen at my brother's house and we were talking about golf, and he brought up the idea of, you know, we should host a tournament, or host an event that gets all our buddies out there. You know, we can make it a charity tournament. But all we want to do is just get our closest friends together, play some golf, have some fun, and while we're doing that, we can do something for a good cause.
Speaker 13: And we came up with the name the.
Speaker 4: Spear of Summer Classic, and our first year or our first two years, we benefited Children's Miracle Network and PMC for Children and they were so amazing. I mean they they were so supportive, and they were totally cool with us, you know, using them to to you know, raise money for charity.
Speaker 13: And my brother and I we didn't make a dime off this event.
Speaker 4: All we wanted to do was just raise some money and all get my buddies together to play some golf. And the first two years it was great.
Speaker 13: You know.
Speaker 4: We did it at Star Pass in year one and we had sixty golfers come out, including Noel Fafida, Arizona quarterback. And of course at that time, this was before nolh Flafida became Nol Fafida, you know, and when he was going into that year, he was Jaden Delor's backup, and lo and behold he became the face of the franchise.
Speaker 13: And it was a great time.
Speaker 4: Year one, like I said, sixty people, and then year two we got eighty four people, and we moved it to Corey Pines right there off of It ten near Marana. And then eventually, you know, Eastern Seals Blake Foundation came along and Betsy Bruce and all of them. They saw what my brother and I were doing. They've been doing a charity golf tournament for I think like fifteen years now, and they said, do you want to join forces? And I saw the resources they had. I saw the team of people that they had as well, and they took away maybe fifty steps that my brother and I normally have to take to put on a tournament. And they were so great with the Raffle prizes, with the organization, planning, the course, the dates and all that. Because my birthdays on the fourth of July, at my brother's birthdays on July twenty ninth. So what we initially did was we kind of met in the middle in July and that was the date of the Spirits Summer Classic. But the Eastern Shields Lake Foundation, they're like, well, would you like to maybe move it up to late May, like one of the last days of May. And I thought it was perfect because I mean late May, that's the other in Arizona, especially in Tucson, like it's getting warm, obviously, but it's not. It's not like hell in July and August where it's just just absolutely scorching hot. And so we moved it to late May, and we moved it to Vintanna Canyon and we played on the mountain course, which is maybe top ten in all of Arizona and we got one hundred and twenty people to come out this year. We went from sixty to eighty four to one hundred and twenty. And we had Arizona softball coaching legend Mike Candrea out there. Chuck Cecil College Football Hall of Famer, he was out there as well. You know, we had former Arizona football great Bam McCrae. All so out there. We had both U of A golf coaches and Jim Anderson who's now the longest tenured head coach at the u of A with Fred Harvey retiring. And then Giovanna Maymon, who is who just wrapped up her first year as head coach of the Arizona women's golf team and she was just named Big twelve Coach of the Year as well. And you know, I mean, the list goes on and on. Of the great people. Joe Nell's former Arizona shooting guard. He was one of the guys who was in the winning group that won the third edition of the Spears Summer Classic. But and then also No Fafida and his dad and his uncle Steve who played for the Dolphins, and then Dash Fafida, who's a u of a linebacker commit for twenty twenty six. I mean, there was some very big names out there, and there were also, you know.
Speaker 13: Some people out there who could have done a lot of other.
Speaker 4: Things with their Friday morning and Friday afternoon, but they decided to come play golf with all of us and we had a great time doing it. And I can't thank Betsy Bruce and the Easter Seals Blake Foundation for seeing so much of what we do and wanted to join forces. And this is going to be a long and prosperous relationship and the Spear Summer Classic is definitely going to be a Tucson tradition for many summers.
Speaker 3: You know, what does it mean to you to have that backing from that organization, Just the impact that you and your brother have been able to make on the Tucson community and giving back to them as people that grew up here in Tucson just like I did as well.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, I mean we love our community. You know, I moved here when I was just two years old. My roots are in southern California, which is why I like the Lakers and the Dodgers and all them. But I'm a too soon and through and through. You know, I grew up in the city. I grew up, you know, cheering for the Arizona Wildcats.
Speaker 13: And one thing that I've realized about.
Speaker 4: This community is if you give back back to this community in some shape or form, people are going to rally around that. People love the Tucson community and they love people who are investing in this community.
Speaker 13: And you know, is it.
Speaker 4: Astronomical amounts of money.
Speaker 13: I don't know.
Speaker 4: I don't have the figures right in front of me. But all we wanted to do was just play golf and do something good in the process, you know. Shamefully, I am a COVID golfer, you know. I you know, growing up, I would go out to the driving range with my dad and my brother and you know, we would hit out.
Speaker 13: We would hit some some buckets.
Speaker 4: Of balls at the Blanchard golf course at Davis Monton Air Force Base.
Speaker 13: So I would always I always had the spling down and I knew the game of golf. Tiger Woods is one of.
Speaker 4: My all time favorite athletes, and so golf was was always around, but I never really made it a hobby. And until COVID hit and then once the pandemic rolled around, and you know, I got furlough from a job and I just had my afternoons open and so I got the dust off the clubs. We go to the Silver Bell golf Course or even El Rio, and we just hit buckets and balls every day for that entire year of twenty twenty.
Speaker 13: And then the bug bit me.
Speaker 4: I was immediately hooked on golf and I would go to you know, all courses all around Tucson, Arizona. Now just because I was hooked on golf or I am hooked on golf, doesn't mean I'm any good at it. You know, Like anytime I go out there, all I'm trying to do is just break one hundred. So I'm a total hack. I'm not the greatest golfer in the world, but you know, I also don't I'm not totally totally bad, right like I you know, I'll hit some good shots and you know, I'll keep the keep up the fun and keep the pace going. But you know, golf has become such a big part of my life and it is really helps me with my mental health and just getting out on the golf course and even when it's blazing hot, you know, it's just you the outdoor elements and that little white ball, and there's something therapeutic about the game of golf, and so it's become a big part of my life, and it's always been a big part of my brother's life. And we just wanted to figure out a way to use the game of golf to give back to our community.
Speaker 13: And you know it kind of going back to.
Speaker 4: Your original question, Troy, the Spirituum a Classic was actually supposed to be a Tucson slash Phoenix event. You know, we were supposed to alternate between Tucson and Phoenix. But we saw the support that we got after year one and going into year two, and so many people said, hold on, hold.
Speaker 13: On, don't go to Phoenix just yet.
Speaker 4: Let's let's do another one and Tucson and see how it goes. And so many people have, you know, come to support this event, and eventually, I think my brother and I got to a point where we were like, yeah, we're not taking this Phoenix. This is going to be a Tucson thing for sure. And to see the support from the people in Tucson, my friends, all the people connected to the University of Arizona, it's really special and it means the absolute.
Speaker 13: The world to me.
Speaker 2: Yeah, very nice, And all the proceeds go to the Bleak Foundation. One hundred and twenty golfers. That's a pretty good haul, right obviously, So that's cool, very cool.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, No, one hundred and twenty golfers. That's doubled, you know, from our first year at sixty at Star Pass. But you know, we're trying to increase that number, you know, the one twenty that's the new bar, and we're trying to get to one hundred and forty four. If you get to one hundred and forty four, that means a sellout when you have two groups at every single hole. So we were very happy and honored to have one hundred and twenty golfers. But of course, you know, we're never complacent. We want to make sure that we sell out next year and for many years to come at a hundred forty four.
Speaker 13: So Stee, Troy, get.
Speaker 4: The cobwebs off the golf clubs, get some friends, and let's go golfing next year.
Speaker 2: Man, I'm a better driver of the cart. I am a golfer.
Speaker 4: I've played better driver of the car than they.
Speaker 2: Yes, I'll do that, but I enjoy playing every now and again. I have my clubs and it's people. Do you use them? Not only when people ask and when I say no, I can't do it. Sorry, not this weekend. No more power to you. I've seen I've seen you on the videos and stuff. So but now we're what late or early June? Uh, in a matter of a few days two months, you'll be out there busy doing football stuff, right and you already are you? Already are? So? Did you? You? You had a little risk it. You can probably take some more time off before you get into the grind.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, I'll be you know, taking off here in just a little bit. But you know, as as Troy knows, you're never really fully off when it comes to Arizona football, especially in the the recruiting months. And right now Arizona's hosting a secial visits left and right, and a lot of guys from Texas, a lot of guys I mean from all parts of all parts of the country, but they're really diving into Texas and southern California in the state of Arizona. So you know, June is prime recruiting season. Last year, a bulk of Arizona's twenty twenty five recruiting class. All those guys committed in June. So yeah, I would expect here in the next few weeks to see all these recruits start to roll in. Maybe not as much as last year, right because you know, with with revenue sharing and nil and all that, you know, the athletes, they want to maintain as much leverage as they can in the recruiting process.
Speaker 13: So you may not.
Speaker 4: See as many commits in June this year, but I would expect to see a handful of Arizona football commits coming up here in the month of June. And yeah, and then not only do you have recruiting seat, but you also have camp season two.
Speaker 13: So Arizona football is going to be hosting.
Speaker 4: A bunch of camps and seven on seven tournaments. And this is a really cool way or another way I should say, of getting recruits on campus. You know, this is kind of like the you know, their way of getting some targets that they're looking at and getting them on campus without taking a fun official or official visit. You know, they're going to be on campus at the u of A football facilities, playing in seven on seven tournaments, and the coaches are going to have that ability to talk to a lot of these guys, and it's also a good way to connect with a lot of Tucson schools too. You know, I remember, you know, going out to seven on seven tournaments at the u of A when I was playing at Sienaga.
Speaker 13: And yes, yes, I.
Speaker 4: Did participate in the seven on seven tournaments as a center. I probably had the easiest job out of anybody.
Speaker 13: At the seven on seven tournaments.
Speaker 4: But it was really cool going out to the U of A and connecting with with those guys. And I know the U of A definitely takes pride and reaching out to the high school school, to the local high schools and making sure.
Speaker 13: That they feel connected in some way.
Speaker 4: So yeah, you're gonna see some seven on seven tournaments with some local high schools, also some Phoenix area high schools, and it's a good opportunity for Arizona to really look at some of the top in state talent.
Speaker 13: That they have right here in their backyard.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 3: Not only is it recruiting, but you're seeing kind of the scheduling timing coming out. I believe last week they announced a couple of night games Kansas State, Hawaii and some others as well, you know, I know it's a small thing, but you're not.
Speaker 2: Seeing that, you know, that extremely.
Speaker 3: Late kickoff yet there's no I don't think there was an eight pm on there. Maybe I'm wrong, but I think six and seven were the main wing.
Speaker 13: Damn it, Troy, you had to say it.
Speaker 2: You had to say it.
Speaker 4: You had to say it.
Speaker 13: Okay, all right, well I am fully expect thing.
Speaker 4: Big twelve opener, eight pm kickoffs.
Speaker 13: You had to say it's roight. Damn it, you had to say it. But yeah, no, you're right.
Speaker 4: I mean there's not, you know, too many late games to start the season. We'll see how Arizona does. You know, if Arizona gets off to a rocky start, then maybe we're looking at those those eight o'clock windows or maybe even normal games. But they're gonna be on ESPN Plus and not on linear television.
Speaker 13: But but yeah, going back to like.
Speaker 4: The schedule that you mentioned, the one thing that I really took away was Arizona. They're gonna have some games on TNT this year. With this this settlement with Warner Brothers. In the Big twelve, there's gonna be like, I think twelve or thirteen games on TNT slash TVs, and you know, Steve probably remembers the day.
Speaker 13: I certainly don't know.
Speaker 4: Troy doesn't. The days where college football was was was on TBS and you had you know, Brad Nessler and Aaron Andrews in the broadcast booth representing TBS.
Speaker 13: And now we're going back to those days.
Speaker 4: And I think it's the if I'm not mistaken, it's the season open to right, the season why that game is going to be on tn T. So yeah, the broadcast or the network that used to have all the NBA games and all that, they're going to dive into college football. So expect to see not just Arizona but other schools in the Big twelve to have some games broadcasted on T and T. And I think it's so cool that, you know, tn T is getting back into college football. And honestly, I love this schedule a lot for Arizona. Like I think that the fact that they have five out of their first six games, the fact that those games are at home, I think bosewell for Arizona.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 4: I think we've all we all know better by now to really have expectations for Arizona football after what we saw last year. But I feel better about the Cats, I really do. I feel better about them than say, when they got kicked around by forty two points by ASU in the Territorial Cup, because you know, I just I like the additions they made, both in the transfer portal at the high school level and also the coaching hires as well. You know, I think that Dino Babers was Let's just go ahead and say it.
Speaker 13: It was a mistake.
Speaker 4: It wasn't the right scheme, it wasn't the right fit for what Arizona had. It seemed like they were trying to fit a square peg into a round hole, and the offense was just so slow and lethargic, and there was just no intent or happiness. And now with new offense coordator Seth Daghi, who used to play quarterbacks, I mean like a decade ago, like he's not too far removed from his playing days with him and his ability to maximize the personnel, and I mean the classic example of maximizing the personnel is what he did at Marshall last year. You know, Marshall had the best offense in the Sun Belt. They had the Sun Belt Player of the Year with their quarterback, and they ended up winning the I think the programs like first ever sun Belt Championship, like last year was a very sore season for Marshall and.
Speaker 13: A big part of it was because of their offense.
Speaker 4: And Marshall had more rushing yards than passing yards. And so people who have any concerns about the balance of Arizona's offense, because Seth Daggi comes from the Mike Leach system and he has that background of.
Speaker 13: Throwing the ball.
Speaker 4: Look at what he did at Marshall again, more rushing yards than passing yards. And he'll be the first one.
Speaker 6: To tell you.
Speaker 4: And he looks at his talent, he looks at the personnel and their skill sets, and he figures out.
Speaker 13: Ways to maximize those guys.
Speaker 4: And based off of what we've seen in the spring, I think this offense is going to take a big step forward, which is saying something because you don't have Teturo McMillan, you don't have Jonas Savinea, you don't have.
Speaker 13: Josh Baker or Wendell Mooy.
Speaker 4: Like when you look at how much they lost, you're like, man, how can this Arizona offense get back to being good again? And I think the speed they added in the transfer portal with wide receivers like Javin Wattley and Chris Hudson and Luke Wisong, and then the big bodied ex receivers with Tray Spivee and a rising receiver and Brandon Phelps, who had one of the best spring camps out of any Arizona Wildcats. I think the offensive line is death only position that is concerning, right, Like, I don't think Noah Fafida is going to have the best protection in the Big Twelve, but you look at from the spring, Noah got the ball out quick and too many times last year Noah was holding onto the ball and it led to either a poor decision, maybe an interception he did lead the Big Twelve in interceptions last year, or throwing the ball away and he led college football and throwaways last year. So I think getting the ball out of Noah's hands quickly, I think it's going to be a good recipe. And like I said earlier, I think the fact that the first half of the schedule, five of those games are at home, you know, I think Arizona could really stockpile some wins and then you know, maybe steal a game or two in the second half.
Speaker 13: Of the schedule and figure out a way.
Speaker 4: To get the six and six and seven and five. Then I think if they do that, then I think the pressure is just a little bit off of a Brent Brenner right now.
Speaker 13: So I'm excited for the season.
Speaker 4: I think Arizona. I think they have some favorable opponents, some favorable matchups. But then again, we also don't really know until we see the games being played, right Because ESU was voted to finish last in the Big Twelve last year and then they ended up winning the whole damn conference and.
Speaker 13: Going to the College Football Playoff.
Speaker 4: There were, you know, other teams that were supposed to do good and then didn't, like Utah and like Oklahoma State. So we don't really know until we know. And so I think Arizona they have a chance to really make some noise this year. But I do have some concerns, but I guess we'll find out August thirtieth against Hawaii.
Speaker 2: Well, justin thanks so much. Let me say you just real quick, because we've got to go. We're way over. I'm old enough to know that the football games used to be on Raycom back in the day. And you think I'm this old that you brought some polemade and asked if my t O Freddie used to have its law.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, that one, that one, Chris Hell, this man three flowers.
Speaker 13: It is the best hair product. Man, I'm over here, smell like so many CEO Steve, it's the best, absolute best.
Speaker 2: Good luck with that man that don't want to get you in trouble. Thank care man, appreciate you.
Speaker 4: Thanks.
Speaker 2: Yeah, if you will, you got to go because we're away over almost to the end of the show. If you're an Arizona Man's basketball fan, you know it's been successful for nearly forty years. Now take a look back at the Ludolsen era in my new book, Lessons from Loot. It was a labor of love through the eyes of twenty five former players, coaches and friends to give insight to the coach and the man who led them, competed against them, and inspired them twenty five chapters for his twenty five years as Arizona's beloved coach, Lessons from lut is an insight to how he built the program into a national powerhouse. Want one Email me at Steve dot Rivera ninety five at gmail dot com. Where do you buy exercise Equickmack Arizona.
Speaker 14: Health Arizona Health Arizona Health. Of course, to feel better and look better, it makes sense to buy your fitnessically from the people who know it better than anyone else. At Arizona Health, our goal is to help you choose the equipment you need to reach your goals. Your health and fitness deserve the best you deserve.
Speaker 9: Arizona Health The Lean Edge an extra guise requortment on twenty.
Speaker 2: Second just west of Wilmot.
Speaker 9: What's your goal a new career or career advancement? How about transferring to a four year college. PEMA Community College can help you make Someday today and reach your goals affordably on your schedule. With over one hundred programs to choose from in financial laid available, it's time to earn the degreer certificate you need to prepare for the career you want. PEMA offers free career exploration classes so you can choose the field that's right for you. Learn how at PEMA dot edu. Slash Someday, Hey.
Speaker 2: Tucson, Steve rivera heir, and I've got a tip for you. Want to be in good hands while cruising the desert or kicking back at home, then you need to call my friends at the Edmond Marcus All State Agency. These guys are the MVPs of home and auto coverage. Whether it's a fender bender or leaky roof, They've got you covered. Don't fumble your chance to say call them today and score big on your insurance. With the Edmund Marcus All State Agency, You're always in good hands. Visit them at twenty seven nineteen North Campbell or call them at five two zero three two three nine three three three. Where do you buy exercise equipment?
Speaker 11: Arizona Health Arizona Health Arizona Health.
Speaker 14: Of course, to feel better and look better, it makes sense to buy your fitness equipment from the people who know it better than anyone else. At Arizona Health, our goal is to help you choose the equipment you need to reach your goals. Your health and fitness deserve the best you deserve. Arizona Health the.
Speaker 13: Leading edge and exercise requortment.
Speaker 14: On twenty second, this quest of Wilmot.
Speaker 15: Craving Tucson's best Burger. The Fourth Avenue Legend is back. Lindy's on Fourth is celebrating twenty years and Lindy himself is back behind the grill. We've got new mouthwatering burgers and great daily drink specials. Don't miss our upcoming twentieth anniversary Summer Bash and year end celebration. So come down to Lindy's on Fourth or order online at l fourth dot com. Lindy and Tucson's Best Burger are waiting.
Speaker 16: At Pyramid Federal Credit Union. We believe less is More. Let's pies need more money in your pocket. Less hassle means more time for what matters, and less stress means more confidence in your financial future. Pyramids Less's More philosophy is coming to your neighborhood with a new branch opening at the Tucson Spectrum Peyramid Federal Credit Union, where Less is More federally insured by NCUA, an equal opportunity lender.
Speaker 1: Steve Rivera He's got his eye on the ball on Tucson's sports station, Fox Sports fourteen fifty.
Speaker 2: Back to Whying the Ball Hero Fox Sports fourteen fifty. I'm Steve Rivera, You or Troy Hutchesson promo accats dot com. We got about eight minutes justin I couldn't get about. That's cool, though he's a good information. Oh yeah, soft football starts pretty soon. I hope you have some time off. I remember when I was a kid, I couldn't wait for the summer because I left for a month, and then I didn't have a day off until seven months later. Good old days. Now I can go and stick and be okay. Now there's no worry about it. There's nothing. I worked for a guy named Steve. It's a pretty cool dude. Yeah, Steve Rivera, Yeah, good old days. Anybody want to call? Finish this off? For the rest of the day, we got about seven eight minutes five two zero four one six seventy four four zero if you want to call, listen to judge justin see talked about seven and five maybe. I think we talked about that last week, didn't we Where they gonna finish seventy five? Maybe six and six, you know, because there's some games that can go either way, so we'll see which way they go.
Speaker 3: I think anything from five and seven and five it's good. You can't be four an eight again and getting low out.
Speaker 2: No. Four and eight, that's not good for him. Uh, seven and five, five and seven, No, six and six, seven and five that would be good. And it seems that gives you hope again. Again, this is what we talked about at the beginning. At least I did we know what Arizona has. The things have improved, right, we went through this last week. You were not here. I guess today. Uh this game, that game, this game, this back and forth. Okay, yeah, no, it was like eight, It was like eight and four, seven and five. Right, I think we're maybe seven and five, maybe six and six. But some games could go either way, right, you know, will will the desiree be forgiving or unforgiving? Depends on the situation, right, Yeah, I mean you have to think this and her hire, right, none of these coaches on the current coaching staff across the athletic department were any of her hires except for now with Becky Burke with the basketball program. So I'm not saying in golf in golf too, I'm not saying they're on the hot seat. That's not what I'm saying. But you're you're always wondering, you know, am I doing enough? And that's and that's not just here, it's everywhere. Yeah, right, because you know, he's not your person, he's not your guy, whether the adies and home man or a woman or whatever if you didn't hire them or them in trouble. Yeah, there's no Well, man, I really like this person. I want them to succeed. We'll keep them around a couple more years or none of that, right, so we'll see what happens. Good luck to them, I think, tip Ton, Well, what I was going with this is we know what Arizona has or how they improved, but we really don't know what the other schools have done to coquick. Hello, you're on the air nine the ball? Who's this big big once it work? Give me some sor.
Speaker 6: I called uh uh Texas text up to zero in Oklahoma?
Speaker 2: Oh you know that's music? Yeah, I see that is Is there a good thing for you with a new softball coach at Arizona's gonna.
Speaker 13: Be yea.
Speaker 2: A martini or something like that. I get it.
Speaker 6: I get it to the X man or else that that Steve Rivera have that million dollars for Nigerie Kennedy to come her senior year.
Speaker 2: Well you gotta figure out how Dakota. Dakota Kennedy is gone. Yeah, now Dakota Kennedy.
Speaker 6: Is gone, so you know I'll take her leaving. If we can get there the picture.
Speaker 2: You know this place better than most, especially in softball.
Speaker 6: The money is gonna be funny because this weekend hot at the Zoom into June in California, and I can't wait to call my friends and see if Haman's there.
Speaker 2: Come on, no question, Yeah, yeah, yeah, is there a You've been in the groove for a long time, enough enough solid pictures to go around.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I think, yeah, yeah, there is you just like we, I mean, me and you talked, and they've just missed, even even Andrea myssed. I mean it's you know, Oklahoma hasn't missed the last few years. I mean even with this Landry girl they got. Everybody told them, oh she's not what they were, but he's leading them to the final four in the World Series.
Speaker 2: I'll say this, They're not missing and Andrea's miss quote unquote miss You.
Speaker 3: Still had a Gator National GATORAY Player of the Year in Taylor McQuillan, who got Arizona the Women's College World Series. Now is Taylor Arizona ustaf No, But Arizona doesn't have a Taylor McQuillan. Arizona doesn't have an ALYSSA Denham to go to right now. So you're trying to get back even at that level.
Speaker 6: Well, I'll tell you, Troy. I saw Taylor junior and senior year at Mission Beagle and we went to the championship game against Chino and I looked at my buddy and he looked at me, and he goes, oh my god, you guys are gonna win two national titles with her. That's how dominant she was high school while she was.
Speaker 2: But you know this, there's other there's other nuggets out there that are just as good, if not better, with better teams.
Speaker 6: Yeah, that's true, man, And you've got to put it all together. Even in Texas Tech. They're hitting Oklahoma right now. So it's not just Kennedy.
Speaker 2: I go into places I'm sometimes I'm not the best looking guy in the room.
Speaker 6: Ah, that's a lie.
Speaker 3: And it's chemistry. I mean, you know, lock rooms work, and what's going on. I mean, for a number of years we saw the women's basketball program, people transferring in and out.
Speaker 2: It wasn't going good. Now you have had goach whether it was chemistry, coaching situations.
Speaker 3: A lot of I haven't seen that went into one ball of time for a change. So there's a lot that goes on in.
Speaker 2: VIC. You have a lot of knowledge in this, and you send me notes all the time, you know. I guess you can continue doing that until I just block you. Did you did? You? Did you coach?
Speaker 6: I I only coached at the youth level and I assisted at the high school level.
Speaker 2: Okay, so that doesn't yeh, because the little girls aren't gonna, you know, create too much some trauma. So yeah, if you do.
Speaker 6: And actually, when my girls started getting a little bit good and I knew, I stepped away completely and said, hey, somebody else kind of take them. There was the car ride home wasn't too pleasant.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well this these radio calls aren't too pleasant, you know why right?
Speaker 6: You know, I love you, but but but yeah, there there is pitching to go around out there. And I don't know if Troy said it last or somebody did, but we've got to kind of get away from California and and and Stiff and Batbusters and those guys and and turn over some new nuggets in Texas and the Midwest and stuff.
Speaker 13: We have to.
Speaker 3: There's a ton of talent out in the South that Arizona hasn't turned over.
Speaker 2: Those Rocks. Yeah, they're there.
Speaker 6: And all those travel teams Troy and I don't know if you're familiar with that. They never used to contend with PGF. It was always obviously Firecrackers, Batbusters, Corona Angels. But now those teams are winning those tournaments. Those teams are coming west and winning those big tournaments. So you know that the talent's out there. Georgia, the Georgia. Georgia has two teams that are just fantastic.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we'll see what happens.
Speaker 6: So it's gonna be uh Man, Desiree has been thrown into the fire.
Speaker 5: That's for sure.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, no question on another number of different levels. Hey, big, we gotta go.
Speaker 6: Okay, it was a great show you guys, good job.
Speaker 2: Appreciate it. Thank you, Senor huch Listen, thanks for coming in. Good guests today. We'll talk to you guys tomorrow. Thanks