Speaker 1: La Talk fifteen eighty. Good morning, good morning, Welcome, God blessed. I'm Dominique Daprima.
Speaker 2: This show is called First Things First, and my first thing today and every day is prayer, given things given, praises and asking for blessings from God, asking for the blessings of the ancestors and the elders.
Speaker 1: And let's go. Got a lot to do, a lot to talk about. So much going on around here. It's a think dank Thursday. I really think we should have our brains engaged every day if we can, except for you know, if you can get out on vacation and zone out, okay, but for the most part, let's engage. We try to do that extra much, extra much on Thursdays where we crowd source our wisdom to try to solve problems and come up with solutions. And you know how we do it. If you don't, if you're new here, welcome, Glad you made it in. This is what we do. Our one we look local as it connects to the world. Our two we go national, international and intergalactic. Our three we do a deep dive on a personal persons of interest, a hot topic. Now we've kind of scrambled things up a bit today on this think Tank Thursday. But we're still here and the phone lines are still open for you at eight hundred nine two oh fifteen eighty eight hundred nine two oh fifteen eighty. But as Miles said this morning, it's a meteor shower, so don't be surprised if things are a little scrambled up, just you know, try to dodge the big rocks. So today an hour one, we got time. We got time call me eight hundred nine to oh fifteen eighty. Were going to talk about things me you, Miles, and your telephone, microphone or keyboard fingers if you happen to be tapping in with the KBLA delegation on YouTube, the comments section, who Fire. And then of course we also stream on Facebook. Sometimes I go live on my Instagram, so all of that is available to you. Hour two we are going to be talking hip hop again. It's allegedly the birthday week. The trial around the Tupac murderer is on, and my friend the poetess, rap artist, producer, and hip hop historian. I don't think she calls herself that, but I do she keeps better records than anyone I know she'll be joining an hour or two hour three. We're going to talk about huh is it enigma? Enigma, the quandary, the mystery of Black Republicans in Maga America. Maybe he can explain it to me. He's got a new book out, so I'm sure he'll be telling you about that his venn diagram of one. Lenny McCallister will join us an hour three for a deep dive on the black Maga phenomena. And you are invited into all of those. In fact, I rely on you for your insights, your rabbel rousing, and all of your inspiration. So thank you for being here with me whenever you're able. If you're not able and you missed something that you wanted to be part of, no point in having fomo no fomo not for first things first, because our shows are available wherever you get your pods. They live there on you know, Spotify and Apple Music and all the places where pods are found. Okay, So if you missed the show, if you missed the hilarious conversation with Ki Kim Whitley and Buddy Lewis, if you missed my conversation with my sister artist Dorian and curator Kelly Jones around Betty Sar, which was quite insightful and really you know the combination of history and fun and information about the great artist Betty Sar. If you missed the conversation on yesterday with one of the most respected negotiators in the world married to her poor well, all of that is available wherever you get your pods, wherever you find them, and they also live on YouTube, so you can see me. I'm streaming there right now. So that's what's up. That is what is going on eight hundred and nine, two oh fifteen eighty. If you want to say a thing about us saying, you could also hop on my socials. By the way, I'm into Prema Radio everywhere, dip Rima Radio on all the platforms. My favorite right now is Instagram, but that's subject to change without notice. Do not DM me on Facebook. I've got like three million dms there and I just never look at them. But I do look at the Evil Empire also known as X. I do go over there, and I'm on Instagram, and I do spend time on TikTok, so find me in those places. And of course the radio station KBLA fifteen eighty is everywhere on all of the social platforms, just that way, KBLA fifteen eighty. So we talked about a little bit yesterday the elections and being upon us, and I stand corrected. Apparently the official community campaign kickoff for Mayor Karen Bass's re election is Saturday at Obama and Labrace. She'll be there. She'll be there greeting supporters. If you are one of those, you're welcome to go. Everyone is welcome to go. People will be signing up to knock on doors and help get out the vote. But you know, she officially obviously was in the in the running as of the end of the primary, whenever the tally showed that she was into the runoff, which I think was on election day itself. Like, I don't think that was ever in doubt for our incumbent mayor. Whereas the official kickoff, the hooplah and such for her opponent, council Member Nathia Rahman, that happened June eleventh. One could argue that perhaps she's been campaigning so hard that she hasn't been able to make those council meetings. Some analysts claim that is why she lost her spot leading the Housing committee in the La City Council, and so say what you will, we are definitely ten toes down in election season. I believe it's eighty days or seventy nine days to go before we have to the final day to vote. We talked about a little bit yesterday about Javier Bessetta and how I said it's probably an easy race for him. I doubt he'll take it for granted because he's a seasoned politician. He is a lawmaker who has held many different offices, and he knows that you just there's no done deal until it's a done deal. However, the latest Berkeley Igs La Times poll is showing him ahead fifty five to thirty seven percent. So that is definitely a kick your butt type of lead. Now, of course, the Elon Musk money hasn't kicked in yet, right the Peter Thiel money may not have kicked in the ads. You know they are going to redistribute, redistribute some of their wealth by tearing best part in whatever way they can. I don't think he I could be wrong, but I don't think he's got wild scandals in his wood pile. But you know, they don't care, they make stuff up, so we expect I expect that lead to narrow once the hit pieces and terrible, terrible commercials get going. However, as of right now, he's in stompamount territory. And of course it is almost entirely along party lines. So if you have Republican friends who claim they're voting for Bisseta, the chances are they're not telling you the truth. And of course it is the coastal strongholds, the coastal progressive areas, which happen to be the population centers of California. Right So you wonder why this big red area in the middle of the state is so outnumbered every election season and so outnumbered in Washington. Is because they're big geographic areas. But there aren't that many people there, i e. Not that many voters, Whereas if you go to Los Angeles, San Francisco, San Diego, all of those areas have tons of people. And that's where more of the Latino people live, that's where more the black people live, and that's where more of the Democrats live. And so that's the story of our bipolar state. Those cities. According to the La Times, it's San Diego, the Bay area and the coastal even the coastal smaller cities this you know, the Santa Barbars and such. That's where in La of course, that's where Bessetta is strong. Eighty eight percent of dams are voting for Bessetta. Ninety one percent of Republicans back Hilton. And the reason I say it like that, like ninety one percent, is because we always hear I don't know people who call in this show whose name rhymes with head, or other people who claim that they're not Republicans they're independent, or Republicans who claim they're not MAGA ones, but yet they are still going to vote ninety one percent of them for Steve Hilton, who is a Fox News host with MAGA talking points. I mean, he might have a nice, smooth sounding voice and a cool English accent, he might have a much much better vocabulary than the resident, but he is in fact a MAGA Republican following the MAGA talking points and their platform point for point. So this idea of the kinder, gentler Republican is mostly just a pr kind of thing. Really, ninety one percent of them are backing Hilton. And interestingly, though, and this kind of does contradict something I always say, but I hope that it's right, is that the no party preference voters are also leaning toward Bissetta, with six fifty eight percent of them. So the ones that don't have a party affiliation, thirty percent of them are with Hilton. That's what they're telling the pollsters. I hope that is what is true, and that they are not just Republicans in disguise, which is what I often say. Eight hundred nine two oh fifteen eighty. I'm Dominique de Prima, and you well, I'm pretty sure you know where you are right now. So I'm a question of Javier Bessetta, who may very well be the next governor of the fourth largest economy in the whole wide world. Mister Bessetta, I should have noted, is particularly strong in his polling among women, younger voters, and guess who else, black people. And so that's an interesting dynamic. I think it makes sense. You know, he was part of the Obama team, he was part of the Biden administration. But also I don't we'll see, you know, I don't see Steve Hilton appealing to black voters. So right now, it seems like black black Calli is Team Besseta. He will be, if elected, the first Latino governor of the state of California, which is interesting because, I mean, we have such a huge Latino population, voting population. Contrary to popular stereotype. We have a lot of born and raised Chicano Latino, you know, Californians. Not talking about people who can't vote, not talking about immigrants. Some are maybe many years back, but some as they say, you know, we didn't cross the border of the border across US. This used to be Mexico, and I get that it's not anymore trust and belief, but you know, we have a lot of Latinos and Latino Californians, Latino US Americans, and the thing about that is that they have been called the sleeping giant because they don't vote. Their numbers that may be changing. We shall see. The other shift in this way that we're seeing. In this particular we're going to see in this election is Council District nine CD nine, which is currently led by council Member Current Price, who's done an amazing job. By the way, in that district, he's everywhere, he always shows up. He's always doing events and providing resources for the community. However, the two gentlemen who are in the runoff are both Latino, so that will be a change on the La City Council. We've always had a black council member in that district, and I would I would not be at all surprised if that doesn't happen again. Maybe, but I don't see it now. I'm not saying that to say that black candidates cannot win in non black districts. It happens all the time, including the mayor of this city. That's what coalition and allyship is about. I mean, asked Tom Bradley, right, So that's not what I'm saying at all. But I'm saying that I think we are going to We are seeing the emergence of the Latino voter as more of a factor here in the state of California and beyond, and hopefully this experience with the Ice debacle and the way this particular resident is governing will move those that found themselves leaving the Democratic Party. We'll move them back into the common sense aile. You know, that is not guaranteed, but we are seeing some evidence, some empirical evidence that that's starting to happen. Jose Ugarte and Estuardo Mazariegos, who are the two folks who are in that CD nine runoff, and one of them, yes, one of them comes out of the comes out of the CD nine current camp. One of them worked with Council Member Price for many years. But they're both Latino, and one or the other of them is going to be representing CD nine after November. And they are both, by the way, after the whole spiel I just gave about US American born and raised multiple generation type of Latinos, they are both. Not that they're both, they were both born elsewhere and raised here. Not saying that's bad or good, but that's what it is, and so things are shifting. That's normal. I think that people who believe that we can live as an island and not have coalitions or not have at least alliances are actually in denial. It's never really worked that way in Cali to begin with. And you know, I think that it's I know that we're in this era of division even more than ever before, at least online, right between black and brown and Asian and black and all of these, you know. And I am actually as supporter of the current de facto boycott, but alliances and coalitions are necessary. You're not, and you know, it's rare when you're gonna have that spot in your community, in your town. You know, when the whole world is not Jackson, Mississippi, And even Jackson, Mississippi, which has or Baltimore, Maryland, which have majority black residents, they're still dealing with not Baltimore, but in Jackson, they're still dealing with the state apparatus. Right, And you're right, Paul. I see Paul in the in the YouTube talking about how Latinos are moving toward a Republican party. There's a couple of caveats to that, though, Paul. One is that the Latino vote is not a monolith, as they'd like to say about black people. So if you're talking about Cubans or Venezuelans, they start out more conservative because they are leaving running away from fleeing or rebelling against social lists or communist governments. So the folks that come that came here intended to be the richer and wider among them, right among the people in that country, whereas with you know, Central America and Mexico, that is less likely. Depending on the Central American state right. Some of them were ruled by right wing groups like El Salvador, like Guatemala, like Nicaragua. And then when different governments take over or we do something crazy with the drug trade, those folks come here round Blue sevens as a bunch of Zimmermans. But again it's not a monolith. A Mexican or you know, or Central American. Latino is more likely and certainly at Chicano US American born and raised here is much more likely to be progressive. So I don't it's you know, you can't just say, oh, they're all moving Republican. And then the other thing is the resident is pushing them back into the Democratic Party. And then the final thing I'll say on that is there's a gender split Latinas. In other words, Latino women are much less likely to vote Republican Republican. I can't even say it anymore. Then Latino men, we've got news, traffic and sports. Then you're invited in as always, I'm Dominic Kaprima, and this is KVLA Talk fifteen eighty asking Miles, Miles, why is Russell Westbrook stepping down? He's an LA icon And you said.
Speaker 3: It's about that time eighteen years in and uh, if anybody give you a job offered, you know, might as well wrap it out, go out and and you know, with all the all your.
Speaker 1: Glory in text, Yeah I got I got you you you know, happy retirement, mister Westbrook. I think what people may not be clocking about is that he really does a lot of stuff for the community behind the scenes. He's not always out here beating his chest talking about it, but he does a lot of stuff for his his community.
Speaker 3: Yes, now I hear about that. The community speaks very highly of Russell Westbrook, especially around here. So shout out to Russell Westbrook. Great career, may Hall of Famer, all time triple double beast, you know what I mean, Like one of the most athletic point guards of all time, one of the funnest people to watch of all time, motor on one hundred percent every game. I feel like he's one of the ones you'd say gave us all to the game for as long as he was out there. So yeah, I love Russell Westbrook.
Speaker 1: That's wrong with that. Back to do your best every day. But yeah, no, I mean that's why you know, I always say the streets know, the streets always know the streets know that man right there is a real one. So you know LA legend for sure.
Speaker 3: Got to play for both teams in LA.
Speaker 1: So yeah, that's that's what more would you ask for? That's legendary. I think I feel like I could say that anyway, Miles Low. Your show is ongoing, it's every Saturday. I just want to make sure you know, I see you got the spot running. I'm loving that, but I just want to make sure our KBLA delegation is tapped in to do better.
Speaker 3: Show every Saturday twelve noon with a replay at seven pm. We talk everything tech, AI, creative economy, health consciousness, all that stuff, and also how to make money right now using all the tools at your disposal. This week we're gonna be talking about this AI music controversy. You know, the artists are coming out saying they're using AI now to make their music instead of kind of like keeping on the tuck. So you know, I want to see who really cares, who we really care? Let's break down some numbers. Yeah, yeah, let's talk about it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean we had a behind the mike conversation about that maybe a year or more ago. You were talking about how Drake was using AI for some of his using it to reproduce himself.
Speaker 3: Drake did it, Kanye West used on his last Bully album. Him in Northwest has been using it. Timberland's been a huge, huge advocate for it. Yeah, yeah, yeah, we're here now, ladies and gentlemen. So I don't want to see and.
Speaker 1: If YA does it, that means people are going to be doing it.
Speaker 3: I mean everybody. That means everybody has been doing it. It's just saying that certain people except people have been sitting in the tuck with it. Don't want to expose it and say they're using it. But now R at a point where it's the conversation piece. It's the centerpiece of the combo.
Speaker 1: So yeah, the new plastic surgery. What AI is the new plastic surgery?
Speaker 3: Bbl yo, No to Dominique. We've had people who come in here and you know, when they start the hour, asking what song you want to start with it, They'll give me a song. Oh why has heard this, this, this, this, and this, And I look it up and it's AI.
Speaker 1: Music right And the person doesn't even know it. They just have a they just heard a song they like. Are they hearing people anyway, tune into the Do Better Show. I'm assuming folks are getting this music online. That's where it's coming from. That's where they're coming in contact with it, and then they're like, oh, I love this song, not realizing that it's about it's.
Speaker 3: Getting caught up in a TikTok artists.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Well yeah, so okay, thanks for that clarity. I appreciate it. These things, you know, they come across on the Black Information Network, which is a national network. So maybe and of course Ray Richardson does our news and our sports news, and he does a great job, but that's one of those that lands a little heavier in LA. Yeah, and yesterday we had a story that aired talking about BLM sports. BLM sports is b S just FYI. More on that later. We'll talk about it Monday when doctor Mouline Abdullah will be in with me in our one, so we can break that down in case you were confused. That is the folks that took the people's money repurposing it to something that is not the intention of the people who donated to Black Lives Matter. They donated to stop state sanctioned violence, and now these goofies have decided to make it into a little sports club, sports booster club. No, that ain't it anyway. Just for the record, So we were talking about this, the Latino vote, the Black vote, how it's all playing out, and how it's going to come together or not this election season. I would say yes, at least when it comes to Beseta, you'll probably see a stronger Latino turnout I would imagine at the polls in California, because the opportunity to have the first Latino governor ever is got to be appealing to Latino voters. You know, like I said, they don't always vote their weight class. And Paul makes the point that Black people as a whole do vote heavily Democratic, even though we are not a monolith either, and that is true. But all of these things are evolving. You know. We did see some slippage over to the MAGA world. We'll be addressing some of that in our three today. The mystery of the Black Republicans under MAGA. I think a lot of that is missing disinformation online. I think there is definitely a gender component to that as well. Well. There is because if you can look at the numbers, there's ninety two percent of black women voted for Kamala Harrison eighty five percent of black men. It's not terrible, but there is a gap there, right. Ram Blue says, fun fact, one out of every three black people born in Cali is Latino. I have not seen those numbers, ram Blue seven, but that would not shock and surprise me, just as a lot of black people in this country now, and a lot of the growth in the black population are immigrants from Haiti, from Africa. It's a reality. I was going to say, in new reality, but it's not really that new. It's just more prevalent. And as the conscious African immigrants say, it's because of the work of black civil rights leaders that open the doors to any immigration, just as the fourteenth Amendment opened the doors to birthright citizenship. So all all immigrants and refugees definitely owe a debt to Black Americans. That's not to say they have to be our enemies. In fact, it's just the opposite, you know. And I already dealt with a lot of misunderstanding around this on the radio. My former husband is a black life, He's Cuban, and so people say, oh, well, she's married to a Mexican. Well, if I was fine, like, I don't have a problem with that, but that just wasn't the truth. The truth was my former husband looked more like Sidney Poitier than Ricky Ricardo, and people have trouble getting their minds around it. But what you need to know, as someone who is married to a an Afro Latino for almost fifteen years, they identify as black first, most of them. I mean, I'm sure they have sellouts just like we do. But the fact of the matter is, if you're in Venezuela and you're black, you're still black. If you're in you know, Panama and you're black, you're still black. If you're in Costa Rica and you're black, you're still black. What do I mean by that. I'm not saying you have to pretend that they're the same as Black Americans, But what I am saying is that they're still dealing with racism in whites supremacy, just as we have, and so there is an identification in an understanding. Now that's a little different with Africans because although they're dealing with colonization, and some of them have colonized minds, but many don't. Many are revolutionaries, many are progressive, but The difference is that if you're black and everyone in your country is black, like let's let's say a Ghanaian as compared to a South African. If you're a black South African migrant, you come from a powerful and still functioning system of white supremacy and white privilege. If you're a Ghanaian American, you're still dealing with the vestiges of a colonial mindset. But your president is black, your army is black, your cops are black. It's black, any black, all black, black black. So when they come here, they have less of an understanding of what it's like to function in the belly of the beast, of what it's like to deal with white supremacy, you know, the original flavor. So I mean, yes, there are nuances, but this idea that one out of every three black people born in California is Latino, that that's somehow a threat to black California, I would put that in the not true category if I with snoops, because most of those folks understand that what's good for black people is good for them, what's good for black children is good for their children. I mean, it doesn't take a rocket scientist. It really doesn't. I do agree we should be voting in higher numbers, but we do as black people, as Black Angelino specifically, I'll say we vote above our weight class. We are what eight percent, approximately eight percent of the population, and in elections we vary from fifteen to twenty percent of voters. We vote above our weight class a high percentage of US votes. Now that may be disproportionately elders, but it's something we need to, you know, be proud of. Yeah, you're right, Paul, it would we it'd be great if it was at But we vote in higher numbers than many most communities. And so I say that to say, yes, we need to step it up, but also we need to stop beating ourselves in each other up for being the problem. We could do better, but we ain't the problem, the apathy problem. The folks that don't vote problem, did not civically engage problem. We're not the poster child for that. And I'm not just talking about black women because we like to say black women have saved the Democratic Party, black women have saved America, and that is true, but it's not just black women as black men too. Hello Hello, Hello, so Bissetta, I'm sure is quite pleased that he is doing so well among black Californians, and it explains why. As I mentioned to you yesterday that the city council woman who's running to be mayor of this city, who is of Brahmin East Indian background, is now trying to get into the black churches, skip the black microphone. Her people told me she didn't have time to talk to me. Maybe she will this time. Look, I will say this, and I mean this. I'm very serious about this. When politicians get on the microphone with me, when we do interviews, debates, interviews, anything like that before, I will always always do my best to be fair. Okay, not Fox News. I know how to put on my news hat and read news headlines and put on my opinion hat and say my opinion. And there's a time and place for both. I know how to do that. I am a trained journalist. Quiet as it's kept, So should any candidate, whether I am going to vote for them or not, step to this mic. Yes, I will ask tough questions. I will ask everybody tough questions. Red blue, left, coast right, coast, black, white, white supremacist, so called revolutionary like, yeah, I'm gonna ask the questions about your record. I'm going to ask the tough questions and I'm going to ask the easy questions both. I want to give you a chance to shine and show who you are so that voters can make their own decisions using their own head. They don't have to use my had. They got their own. That's why we each get our own head. We don't have to share one. Right. So she remains invited. Every candidate who is in this runoff election, Republican, Democrat, smart, dumb, tall, short, cute, not so cute, They're all invited, and I will give them a fair shake on this MIC. Tough questions and easy questions, all are welcome. You can call me eight hundred and nine to two oh, fifteen eighty. I am Dominique Diaprima in this is KBLA Talk, fifteen eighty. Yeah, it's true that the Latino voter is moving more conservative, but also let's break it down state by stay. If you're in Florida, you know that's that's Latino Maga land, Right. You got all those Cubans there that ran away from communism in Cuba. You got all of the dispots and dictators from Latin America who found their retirement homes in Florida, the Monuel Noriega's of the world. You've got all these conservative Venezuelans who fled from the jav As government. You know, you have that's a hotbed of right wing Cubans. Now, my understanding standing is that even the Mexican population in Texas is moving to the right. But if you look at our our California Latinos, uh, they tend to be more progressive. Now to some extent I'm going on, you know, my own empirical experience. We know we have some conservative Latinos here, but you also have this huge base of US born and raised and some who are not US born and raised who are social justice oriented. I mean, look at the La City Council right, some of our most restive members are Latinos ELNSI San Nandez Latina not at all conservative. I don't think she's got a conservative bone in her body. Ugo Soto Martinez very very progressive. You know. Those two are are are two of the ones that tend to hold the line when it comes to the ever expanding ginormous LAPD budget. And those those I mean, and then you could sell Isabel Hurrado, but she's not Latina, she's Filipino, uh, Asian Pacific Islander. Two of our more progressive residents of city Hall, right, our Controller Kenneth Mahea and council Member Hurado are also Asian. That's why I think the thing the saying Asians are not a monolith. Black people are not a monolith. Latinos are not a monolith, is important because it's true that you can't just paint the picture of all Latinos this way. And I would say that our Latinos, meaning Cali Latinos, are less conservative than those in other states. So that's that is what it is. It's you know, yes, we do. We We did see Mexicans for Trump in Beverly Hills, Woo low information voters. However, you know in the main that is not uh that's not where where they land in this in this state, the legislative caucus, in the Latino legislative caucus in California has no Republicans. Latino legislation relative caucuses in Arizona and Texas have tons. You see what I'm saying. So it is a different story in a different history here in the state of California and we benefit from that. I wish that could spread. I wish that could spread to Florida. And it's possible that the egregious actions of this resident, and it's not just the resident, it's all the homies of the resident, would turn the tide. But I don't know, because when you talk about a Marco Rubio type, he's the perfect Florida example, right, a guy who whose parents come from Cuba and who has adopted his parents' politics, having spent no time as an adult in Cuba, and now is trying to destroy it. Right, That's that's the prototype. And he doesn't just changed because Trump didn't include him. And then when they escaped from Turkey and Trump got in the catering truck to go to a different airplane, they left Marco Rubio on the plane they were planning to explode. Just because he clearly doesn't care about you. That's not going to change his opinion because it's coming from a family history of trauma and misinformation. And I understand what you're saying, Selena. Black people are bailing because they're tired of being used, But we're not always being used. Many times, coalitions and ally ships create outcomes that actually work in our favor. Right. Tom Bradley arguably was I think the longest serving mayor in LA history. I could be wrong about that, but he would not have been elected without coalitions. The clear thing to Carl's point is what are we asked for? You know, if we're backing Bessetra, what are we asking for? And I think that's the thing Selena Rix nine five six is in the chat. That's the thing we have to do better at is politics is all about quid pro quo, So what's the ask and how do we follow up on the ask and make sure that what was promised is delivered. We are talking hip hop, women in hip hop and what's going on today with the poet is aka Felicia Morris. That's next and you're welcome in KBLA Talk fifteen eighty