Speaker 1: You're listening to an airwave media podcast.
Speaker 2: Hey, this is Blake Smith from Monster Talk.
Speaker 3: Why why are you calling at this at this time?
Speaker 2: Well, you told me you'd help me inject some science content into my episode about Kaiju, and I wanted to ask for your thoughts about some claims that many people have been making that in nineteen fifty four, the city of Tokyo was attacked by a giant radioactive mutati dinosaur.
Speaker 3: Nobody's claiming that it's just that's just a film.
Speaker 2: Okay, okay? Well what about the claims at nineteen fifty five that same monster returned to attack Japan? Yet again, also just a film. Well, can you address the many sightings of a giant moth that engaged in battle with this same giant radioactive dinosaur beasts sixty four?
Speaker 3: Again, that is just it's a film, Blake.
Speaker 2: Okay, okay. What about the alleged incident that took place in nineteen sixty two when this mysterious reptile was forced into combat with what many claimed was a giant eight.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that was based on an actual incident, a thing that actually happened in ninety fifty one.
Speaker 2: Really, no, not really?
Speaker 3: That was also just a film.
Speaker 2: Look, I called you for some science and I had to say, this is not very helpful.
Speaker 3: You said you were going to ask something sensible about Big four or something.
Speaker 2: Okay, okay, okay, here's when it sounds very scientific. How about the alleged case of a giant three headed monster? Then?
Speaker 3: Oh, I don't think you're getting it. Just a film?
Speaker 2: Dang it. Now, who am I going to get to help me talk about Godzilla? Giant monsters for the show. It's actually quite unlike anything we've ever seen before. A giant hairy creature.
Speaker 4: Part eight, Part mat in Luckness, a twenty four a mile long bottomless lake in the Highlands of Scotland.
Speaker 5: Get the creature known as the Luckness Monster.
Speaker 2: Monstertal. Welcome to Monster Talk, the science show about monsters. As you may have guessed based on the intro, this is a special episode about Godzilla and other giant monsters. I'm Blake Smith and together with Karen Stoles Know, we examined the legends and facts behind legendary monsters, but sometimes we like to take a look at purely fictional creatures and that's what we're doing today. A special thanks to Darren Nash of the tetrapod Zoology blog and the tet Zoo podcasts. Darren wrote a wonderful piece on the biology of Godzilla back in twenty ten, and I'll put a link to that in the show notes. Because of the length of this episode, I'm going to keep the intro short, but this is a topic I really love and I hope you enjoy listening to it. I want to give a quick reminder that we're a podcast created by science advocates and skeptics, but we love monsters and we always like to remind people that anybody can have a weird experience, even hardcore skeptics. To really illustrate this point, my co host Karen has put together an anthology of real life stories of at occurrences by some of the most prominent skeptics out there. I really encourage you to go to Amazon and check it out a link to her book, Would you Believe It? Mysterious Tales from people you would least expect. It is available in paperback and e reader. Now. One note, As sometimes happens, we had some issues with the audio and I had to recover from a backup copy and the interview was spread across two recording sessions, which ended up with wildly varying audio quality the two segments. I've done my best to minimize that, but apologize to any audio files out there. Morenstertle. Today we're talking to Michael Keller and Ed Gotchassky. Michael is the co editor of Monster Attack Team magazine along with the founder Edward Holland, and the upcoming co host of an Area forty two podcasts.
Speaker 6: And we'll put links to that in the show notes.
Speaker 2: Monster Attack Team dot com and then the Area forty two podcasts. I assume we'll be available in whatever podcast aggregator you use, but again when that goes live, we'll get the show notes updated to have the active link for that. And Ed is the publisher of Japanese Giants magazine. He's the author of the illustrated Encyclopedia of Godzilla. He's a producer and writer of the documentary Bringing Godzilla down to Size. He has provided DVD commentary for Coho Films along with Steve Rifle, and is the co author, again with Steve Rifle, of Ashiro Honda, A Life from Godzilla to Karrosawa, which is due to be polished in October twenty seventeen. Thank you for joining us on Monstar.
Speaker 7: Guys pleas to be here. Thank you for having me.
Speaker 2: So this is a big topic, obviously, and it's one that I've been wanting to talk about for a while. You know, a lot of time on monshok we deal with cryptids, but we do like to talk about folklore and pop culture monsters as well. And I think it's hard to overstate the impact of giant monsters on pop culture. They're just they're everywhere. They're in advertising, they're in stories, they're in movies, they're in aletry.
Speaker 5: Around two that I'm calling it all the way back to mythology.
Speaker 6: You know, that's a very good point. Yeah, it's excellent.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So I kind of want to focus on the impact of Japanese cinema, but it's really a global phenomena, as you say, and it's.
Speaker 8: It's gone with the Japanese, didn't it.
Speaker 2: Well, it depends on how you classified. I guess I kind of think of King Kong as the first giant monster movie, although I think The Lost World actually predates that. Well.
Speaker 5: King Kong, I think was the first giant monster movie where the monster was unique. Lost World was just dinosaurs. But yeah, the plot of it, the plot of the Lost World did was almost exactly the same as King Kong, except instead of having a giant ape, you had and a patosaurus that filled that role and it didn't get hooked up with any blonde checks.
Speaker 8: Yes, the first question is what is a kaiju or what archaiju?
Speaker 5: If I'm not mistaken, I think the literal translation of the Japanese word kaiju is strange creature, and I think colloquially it means monster. And if you had a diet to that, die kaiju that means giant monster. I'll welcome edge and put on that.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Well, you know, there's there's any number of ways that you can translate that particular word, but yeahs as Mike has pointed out, the popular translation is.
Speaker 7: Really weird creature.
Speaker 1: But yeah, in the case of monster movies in Japan, and kaiju has been the word that is attached to this particular genre.
Speaker 5: There's also another word that has not been made as popular over here, but is used in Japan called kai jin. That's ji n as opposed to jayu, and that's used for monsters that are of the same size.
Speaker 7: As human beings.
Speaker 5: In the television shows such as Common Writer and other superhero shows, they use the word kai jin, But we don't really use that over here yet.
Speaker 2: From a historical perspective, do I guess when you think about I assume Godzilla is the first of these, but I might be wrong on that. So if Godzilla was the first of the giant Japanese monsters, were they calling them kaiju back then?
Speaker 5: Or oh yeah, yeah, that word was used from the beginning. Supposedly there were two movies about King Kong that came out in nineteen thirty three, or they'reabouts in Japan that are now completely lost forever and that nobody has any hope of ever see again. I have seen supposed synopsis of those that have come to light recently where it turns out that there may not have been monsters in them at all, just some guy in a monkey suit playing King Kong. But I that that's the extent of what I know about it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I've only seen I've only seen a picture of from one, and no footages have her surface on these that I'm aware of.
Speaker 2: Maybe it will though, that's one of it. That's like the the Thomas Edison version of Frankenstein's one of those famous lost cinema and I think a little bit of that footage is still around.
Speaker 5: But the whole movies, the whole movie has been found.
Speaker 7: It's on YouTube. You can see it neat.
Speaker 2: So I knew they had recovered some of it far that had gone. And what was the lot Cheney one? Was that like London after midnight?
Speaker 7: I think after midnight?
Speaker 5: Yeah no, but yeah, that's completely lost.
Speaker 2: And then they did a Turner Classic Movies did a presentation where they basically put it together with a series of production stills and made sort of a here's what it would have looked like, which was pretty interesting. Why Godzilla, I guess, is what I'm curious about. I mean, where does this come from? And how did it impact Japanese culture? I mean, I know how it impacted the American culture, but maybe just talk about the story of Godzilla, how it came to be and the American distribution and why there's a difference in the versions.
Speaker 7: Well as far as the first film.
Speaker 1: The popular story that has been put forth by the producer Tomyo Vi Tanakos that he came up with it while he was on a plane coming back from Indonesia, where one of his major co productions with the Indonesian government had fallen through, and he was suddenly without a big blockbuster that he was looking to produce for that for that time period of nineteen fifty three, and he's flying out over the over the ocean back to Japan and looks down at the ocean and he comes up with the idea of, you know what if some kind of giant creature from under the ocean were to appear, And you.
Speaker 7: Know, this is kind of like his popular myth that he created.
Speaker 1: But basically, you know, at that time, the Beast from twenty thousand Fathoms had just come out in America and was a huge success. So, you know, being one of the top producers at Toho in Japan at that time, I mean, he's he's very well aware of the box office trends of what's.
Speaker 7: Going on.
Speaker 1: In the world of cinema, and so I think he took a look at that and said, well, why don't we do.
Speaker 7: The same thing.
Speaker 1: And at the same time, I believe King Kong had just been reissued in Japan around that time and had done very well, So it seemed like the time was good.
Speaker 7: Timing was good for a giant monster film. If I'm not mistaken.
Speaker 5: The Beast from twenty thousand Fathoms was made because King Kong had just come on television in the US in nineteen fifty two for the first time, and that ended up being a big hit.
Speaker 7: Do you have any remembers of that?
Speaker 1: I mean, I hadn't heard that story before, but I wouldn't be at least bit surprised at that, So that.
Speaker 7: Was correct me.
Speaker 2: If I'm wrong, that's the version. That's the Harry Housen film that was based on the Lighthouse short story by Bradberry. Is that right? Yes?
Speaker 7: Okay, so.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I know that those two had been huge fans of King Kong. In fact, Harry Housen had done work with was It Willis O'Brien to learn how to do some of the stop motion stuff. So I know those guys love dinosaurs and love giant monsters. I'm sure they were thrilled at the opportunity to produce one on screen. But that was still a story about an ancient creature that was just still alive somehow, right, I mean there's no atomic factor there, right?
Speaker 5: Oh yeah, yeah, yes, absolutely there was an atomic factor.
Speaker 2: Oh there was Okay, Oh was it atomic bombs at the beginning that woke it up?
Speaker 5: Yes, if we're talking about the Beast from twenty thousand fathoms.
Speaker 2: Yes, yeah, because I was trying to figure out with Godzilla what the tie in was.
Speaker 6: I mean, obviously thematically, there's the big.
Speaker 5: As a matter of fact, I've heard, and well directly from the man himself, Harry Housen was very resentful of Godzilla because he thought it was a one up attempt on the Beast from twenty thousand fathoms. So he didn't he didn't care for Godzilla at all.
Speaker 1: Well, I don't know that Harry Housen resented the fact that they made something similar in a similar vein to the Beasts some twenty thousand fathoms. I think what he really resented was the technique that they used to create the monster. He just felt that man in the suit was a cheap and not very effective way to create special effects.
Speaker 5: I had heard him say that himself.
Speaker 1: Actually, yeah, okay, well anyway, that's that topic story that I always read about. But in any case, uh, you know that the origin of Godzilla still you know, goes back more to current events at the time and right around the time that they were looking to produce the film, uh we had the Lucky Dragon number five incident where a Japanese fishing boat wandered into one of the atomic bomb test zones accidentally and the crew got exposed to radiation and they came back and were very sick, and it caused a huge uproar in Japan at that time that Japanese citizens again were subject to the effects of radiation from the the atomic bomb. And it was that, you know, that kind of book that also Tanaka seized on that there was some a topical event that they could use to tie in to this monster film and give it some political relevance.
Speaker 7: At the time. So they, you know, they put together a crew.
Speaker 1: Agent Sobriiah was a very famous special effects guy in Japan and he's been wanting for many, many many years to do some kind of a monster film because he was such a great admirer of King Kong, and this gave him his opportunity.
Speaker 7: And they.
Speaker 1: So Sobria was was signed to the project, and they picked a director who was available named Shiro Honda, who had worked with Sobriia the year before on Eagle of the Pacific, a big special effects extravaganza. So given the fact that those two had worked together successfully, Handa seemed like the ideal candidate, although from what I understand, he was not the first choice for directing Gods of Love. They had picked instead one of his friends and colleagues, and Kichi kind of gucci to do that. But he didn't want to go anywhere near something like a giant monster film because like a lot of people, you know, they feel like if you work on that kind of a project, you're going to get pigeonholed, continue that kind of thing, and professionally, that's not a direction a lot of people wanted to go. Thought, Handa thought that this was a really great opportunity to make a statement about nuclear energy and the atomic momb and so he very eagerly signed on to the project.
Speaker 8: What about the American takes on Kaiju? What can you tell us about films like a Cloverfield and Colossal and Pacific Rim.
Speaker 5: A lot of them do freely reference the Japanese films as influences, especially in Pacific Rim where they used to They go out of their way to use the word kaiju, so that it's a very it's very in your face in that case.
Speaker 2: Yes, with giant robots too. So I don't know enough about Japanese culture. Is there a special name for giant robot movies as opposed to giantlanster movies?
Speaker 5: No, but to two other words, Well, at least one other word that might be important would be tokasatsu, which is the Japanese word for live action special effects films. And that would not just cover the kaiju aga or monster movies, but also space operas and anything. Any type of Japanese sci fi and movies with giant robots would be considered tokusatsuega, and television shows would be called tereby tokasatsu.
Speaker 8: Okay. And so you said that there were some American films that had that similar theme of radiation created creatures. What are some of those ones them?
Speaker 5: About the giant ants from radiation? I think the Deadly Mantis was caused by radioactivity or was awoken. We've already mentioned The Beast from twenty thousand fathoms, and there was a British film called The Giant Behemoth which was radioactive, okay.
Speaker 8: Were they influenced by any events that took place in the States or just the Japanese style films.
Speaker 5: I think it was just the Cold War and the duck and cover culture that was going on at the time.
Speaker 1: Yeah, in the fifties that they were still doing atomic bomb testing in the desert in the Southwest, and that's pretty much directly referenced in especially in them that that's really the reason why these mutated ants were created. But just the fact that the atomic age was just something that was really in the news and there was testing, and the.
Speaker 7: Cold War was going on.
Speaker 1: Where people were feeling the nuclear threat that became. Yeah, that became a very easy cook for science fiction filmmakers to grab onto.
Speaker 7: And radiation was kind of like the magic ingredient to.
Speaker 1: Explain way a lot of the giant monsters and science fiction terms of that era.
Speaker 5: I think that had something to do with finding vegetation that was extremely large that happened after some of these atomic tests, and I believe that's where that idea came from.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I've been actually trying to track that down with a little bit more precision, and I unfortunately haven't found a case zero if you will, but I'd like to. But I think you can draw a really nice story of where you've got these twenty thousand fathoms with a nuclear bomb, and then Godzilla and then in the same year you get Them, which.
Speaker 6: Is absolutely radiation based giantism.
Speaker 2: And once that's become established as a successful trope, movies after that don't really have to explain it. They just say, oh, radiation, and everybody's oh, of course, radiation, right.
Speaker 8: They paved the way.
Speaker 5: Another one would be The Amazing Colossal Man and it's yeah, yeah, War of the Colossal Beast.
Speaker 2: My son is a huge giant monster fan, and we've got a pretty extensive collection of these films, including some pretty obscure ones.
Speaker 6: Yeah, and started right, Oh, absolutely, yeah.
Speaker 2: You gotta be a good parent, right, It's like, I don't know that they're gonna like monsters when they grow up, but they're sure going to be educated about them, so we do.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 2: The one of the things that I found really interesting though, is that we had the good opportunity to go see the original I'm going to call it go Jira.
Speaker 5: Uh, that's one of mine. That's one of my pet peeves right there. Explain Oh, I'm sorry I said before when I mentioned that was one of my pet peeves. What I was referring to was the pronunciation of Godzilla's Japanese name, because everybody always says gojurra, but that that's not correct. It's it's Gojira with the accent on the go rather than the jurra.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 5: The word Gojira was made from the Japanese words gorira, gorilla, and kujira, which is well, so God's Gojita is literally a gorilla.
Speaker 2: Wal The original Japanese version, not the American release, was quite different. The American release, and I'm sure you guys can talk about this more accurately, but the American release was heavily edited and inserted Raymond Burr, who was never involved with principal filming anyway, right, his character Martin was just not a part of the original story. And the American version, if you ever get a chance to compare it to the actual Japanese version, is a watered down mess.
Speaker 6: It's a it's just ridiculous.
Speaker 2: And the original I found, I mean again, i'll let you guys talk about your thoughts on it, but I found it to be an incredibly serious film and not at all the sort of silly uh you know guy that you know monster costume that that it sort of Godzilla became recognized that as later. You know, it's just a very dark, serious film. It would have been an awesome anime, honestly. But but for what it is, I thought it was very successful.
Speaker 5: Well everybody who has seen it thinks that, except for Roger Ebert, well yeah, before.
Speaker 1: Aside, you know, I think still, I mean, they the American version gets gets a lot of grief and a lot of hate. But honestly speaking, I think, uh, you know, under.
Speaker 7: The circumstances, if the American version hadn't been.
Speaker 1: Made the way it was, that film probably would have never been released over.
Speaker 7: Here, and this phenomenon may not have taken place that time.
Speaker 1: At that period in time, you know, exploitation films were all the rage, and.
Speaker 7: You know, this was just a you know, one one new commodity that the.
Speaker 1: Producers in Hollywood could tap and say, okay, well we have already made film here. But gee, that has nothing to do with America. There's nothing that people can really relate to. And you know, there's no stars, there's there's there's nothing. But if we you know, add little footage of our own and you know, put it out there.
Speaker 7: We'll go see it. Because it's a it's a you know, monsters.
Speaker 1: Monsters were selling at that time, but they needed a way to sell it in the in the States, so they made a version that could sell here, and that's what really opened the door not only for giant monster films from Japan, but basically for it introduced Japanese cinema to the Western world. I mean, you can talk all you want about, you know, Ardhouse projects like Machaman and that that we're getting seen in the West, but that was just you know, a pimple on.
Speaker 7: The face of the box office.
Speaker 1: Nobody there was no box office being generated by those kind of films.
Speaker 7: It was Honda's films.
Speaker 1: That really made money for the Western world and introduced the world to Japanese cinema.
Speaker 2: So, you know, I.
Speaker 1: Believe that, you know, it was the right decision and it was the right way to go. I don't believe that it's so terribly watered down that it's that it's a bad film and the way it was made, and in fact, I think in some ways it's very genius the way they they you know, put into it. Because it took me many years before I really recognized what they had done with it. And how they had had masked the fact that he was not part of the original production. You know, right now, it's easy for us to see that because we have the convenience of video where you can go back and watch the same film one hundred times at your convenience.
Speaker 7: But you know, way back in.
Speaker 1: The fifties and sixties and seventies, and it was nothing like that. I mean, if you're lucky, you saw it on TV once every couple of years, and people weren't able to sit there and overanalyze films like you can today. And so for the time, this was I believe the right decision for them to make, and it was quite effective in getting these films held for the public and opening the door for all these other films to come to America.
Speaker 8: Talked to us a little bit about the various film periods that are surrounding Godzilla and his kin, like a millennium and.
Speaker 5: Showa, Yeah, Showa period is usually the period of Japanese film that's supposed to coincide with I believe the life of Emperor Hirohito is that corrected? Yes, yes, and that officially ended.
Speaker 2: What year did he die?
Speaker 1: I think it was eighty eighty or eighty nine, take a must in eighty nine.
Speaker 5: Right, But when we get into the into Toho and into Kaijuega and Terror b tokasats of films, when we and we break them up into these different series, the Shoah, the Heyse and the Millennium, they don't really coincide exactly to what those specifically are. I mean, for instance, the show a period for Godzilla films is considered to end in nineteen seventy five with Terror of Mega Godzilla, and the next film would be Godzilla nineteen eighty four, which over here was Godzilla nineteen eighty five, and that's considered the start of the Heyse series. But literally, but that literally was a show of film too, because here here that was still alive.
Speaker 1: Well, as far as far as I know what I've seen in Japan, I don't see anybody considering the eighty four film as being a Heyse film. It's story wise, it's it's part of it you could consider as part of that series.
Speaker 7: But I mean, even if you.
Speaker 1: Look at books that come out that call themselves Heysey period eighty four is not included in that.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Well, fandom over here though, they.
Speaker 7: Pretty stuictly stick.
Speaker 1: To the emperor's naming convention, you know, the Heyse Emperor being Urahtha, right.
Speaker 5: And so literally we're still in the hay Say period, although again for fandom over here, the Heyesay period is considered to end with Godzilla versus destoria In or Destroyer or however you're going to pronounce it when nineteen ninety five, and I think after that we had a lamentable American version in nineteen ninety eight. And yeah, then Toho started back up in nineteen ninety nine with Godzilla two thousand and those series of films through Godzilla Final Wars in two thousand and four are the Millennium series, although as is to pointed out, technically they're they're still part of Hayse. Yeah, and I remains yet to be seen if we're going to assign a new moniker to the films that are coming out in the wake of shing Godza.
Speaker 7: Well, you know, I honestly this is what you want to talk about. Pet peeve.
Speaker 1: For me, one of the pet peeves is, you know, why why do people in especially in this country. I think it's ridiculous that they refer to these films as shoa and heyse because those terms have absolutely no meaning.
Speaker 7: To people here.
Speaker 1: Uh, you know, to me, it's easy enough to say original series, the nineties series, and the you know, two thousands of the.
Speaker 7: Meletis to me, see, to me, it makes much more sense.
Speaker 1: It's just like it's just like using you know, other other you borrowed words from Japanese to describe what there's a perfectly valid translation.
Speaker 7: For in English.
Speaker 1: I you know, I think it's probably just like, you know, a fandom thing that people like to do that, like it's a way to you know, somehow own this in a different way than you know, or distinguish it from from.
Speaker 7: Other kinds of genres. But I don't know.
Speaker 1: To me, it just never made that a whole lot of sense why people would do that, other than they're you know, maybe trying to you know, sound more Japanese or something, well like kaiju is you know, kaiju means monster. So I really never quite got the idea of why do we have to refer to monsters as kaiju because they're monsters we you know, we don't call because there's a perfectly valid and a translation for it. When when you have words that there is no translation for I'm sure I can. I can easily see uh using a Japanese term for that. But in case especially like something like monsters, I always thought, why why would people even use that?
Speaker 2: Well, so it's funny that you bring that up. This is not one of our prepared questions. But there is the whole thing about within fandom. You know, you you end up with something kind of like the word they use the shibbaleth, right. You get these.
Speaker 6: Words that are kind of in group out group code words.
Speaker 2: Right, So when you know the words, it's a way to tell other people that you have a mastery of this subculture, right, or at least that's my thought, but I am I.
Speaker 8: Would agree with you with that.
Speaker 6: Yeah, that's going on.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean people in fandom get really really involved in all the nuances of minutia, both of the stuff that happens inside these fantasy and fictional products properties and outside culturally, with like the stories about the actors and the directors and the trivia. And as a fan myself, I don't know why I get so excited about that information, but I love knowing more about it, and I hope our listeners are enjoying this.
Speaker 1: I like, especially like the idea that people want to be interested in the information, because all too often, I think in fantom especially, people are far more interested in toys and merchandise than they are about the actual films themselves.
Speaker 7: I mean, that's unfortunately.
Speaker 1: That's why I have suspended publication of my magazine, because I make this magazine and I research all the materials and stuff to try and put together an interesting set of articles. But people aren't that interested in buying magazines because they have to read and learn, and it seems like, you know, a piece of a hunk of vinyl that's shaped vaguely in the shape of a monsters is a hundred times more interesting to people.
Speaker 7: So that kind of is a little bit depressing.
Speaker 1: So it's nice to hear that there are people who are interested in learning about the films, But you know, to go back to the terminology, I guess the thing I that that takes me back from that too is, you know, it's it's almost like a way too, you know, as you say, maybe it's like your your badge of honor for being a fan or something. But at the same time, I also always feel that you know, people who aren't that familiar with this but are interested in the subject. It's a kind of way to exclude people from from really sharing in the fandom.
Speaker 7: You know, when when we have put.
Speaker 1: Together our DVD commentaries and especially in writing the Honda book, we go out of our way to not use those kind of terms, because not everybody who's going to be listening to our commentaries or reading the book are familiar with that, and we're hoping that they will become familiar and become fans.
Speaker 7: But if you.
Speaker 1: Start out talking kaiju and aga and terms and took not to films like that or terms like that, you wind up confusing and basically excluding people who aren't intimately familiar with it. In an effort to try and get everybody interested in this subject.
Speaker 7: You know, we actually, Steve and I have gone out of a way to kind of avoid using those kind of terms.
Speaker 8: Then you probably get people who complain thinking that you should be using them.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, it's which, which to which I always answer, just what I told you is that I don't feel it's it's it's not something I think that we should be looking at as an exclusive club.
Speaker 7: It's something that I'd.
Speaker 1: Like to welcome everybody and I mean a lot of the things that we do in terms of our research is to point out to people that these are not, according to popular myth, you know, cheap, cheesy, lousy films that they didn't care about, that they just you know, made on the fly just to just to make a great buck. No, they're there are films that people pour their hearts and souls into making, and there's a lot of stories behind these people, and that's what you really want to bring bring out to know the general public, to give them an appreciation for the craftsmanship and the work and the dedication of all these people to put these films together.
Speaker 7: Doing this.
Speaker 1: The Honda biography is a perfect example of that.
Speaker 7: I mean, Honda.
Speaker 1: You could talk to general film critics who are always very dismissive of science fiction, and you'll bring up God's Luver, any of these Japanese science fiction films, and they're always very dismissive, Oh, that guy was a hack, he's you know, he's nobody. They're just you know, turning out product. They don't really care. Well, nothing could be farther from the.
Speaker 5: Truth, as you'll find out when you read a biography on Honda. In fact, it's in the title of the book goes, it's from God Dilah the kursaal Honda's I think probably even I might it was far to say that Honda's best friend in the world was a cure at Curasaw, would you say.
Speaker 7: That, ed, Yeah, that wouldn't be an accurate statement of those two. They were like oil and water, their opposites, but they became best friends.
Speaker 1: And you know, the most famous and revered filmmaker in Japanese center history is Corrosawa. But Grosawa, you know, he always deferred to Honda, and he trusted his judgment implicitly and felt he was everybody as talented a filmmaker as he was. Just they worked on different projects and they had different styles of working.
Speaker 7: Once, once Honda had retired.
Speaker 1: And Corrasawa was was struggling getting some film projects off the ground, they kind of renewed their friendship that they had struck up when they were both, you know, apprentice filmmakers back at you know, when Tamba was first starting, and they just said, you know, let's get together and let's let's go back to the old days and and just make movies the old way.
Speaker 7: And that was what they did.
Speaker 1: And they didn't really even see that there was much of a dividing line between their duties. You know, Handa was a very modest guy, so of course he always uh deferred to Courtisawa and let him, you know, be the lead man.
Speaker 7: But behind the scenes he was everybodys and went on these films as Corsawa was.
Speaker 2: I'm trying to imagine Godzilla versus Tashira Mafuni, so could he withstand the Samurai attack? I don't know.
Speaker 5: One one of the actors who was inside the Godzilla costume, Keempaturo Toshira Mafune is his favorite actor, And I don't really have anything else to add to them.
Speaker 6: But there's so many monsters now that are in the Godzilla verse.
Speaker 2: Now, is there some uh? I sayd Godzilivers all the time, But is there some Japanese name for that sort of collection of those creatures in Gira's rode a Mathra Madre, that sort of thing.
Speaker 7: I just call it the rogues gallery. I don't have rogues gallery.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so I was curious, is there could you talk a little bit about how all these auxiliary monsters went from being their own little feature film characters to becoming part of this bigger shared universe, because I mean this kind of in a way predates the sort of Marvel shared continuity with It's like the I don't know of any other property where they've done so much crossover.
Speaker 5: Well, they kind of did in the old universal Monster films Frankenstein, Wolfman, and Dracula. Throughout the nineteen forties, those characters would end up in films together, and of course that had been done in literature before too, like everything that Edgar Rice Burroughs wrote that all existed in the same universe, and he wrote a.
Speaker 2: Lot of stuff.
Speaker 5: But how though, like how they all ended up in the same universe together. I don't know if there's a particular story about that. I just think that they made some of these movies separately, and then they decided to make movies where these two of these creatures would appear in the same film together, and it worked. They had the movies made money, so they kept doing it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't think it was really by design. It was you started out in the fifties and they had all these separate property or separate films that they were making. There was never any idea of any particular continuity. It had Godzilla, Rodin Mathra, various films like that that were made, and then at a certain point, as the box office started getting decreasing a little bit and television started eroding the market for.
Speaker 7: Films, they're still looking to make more films.
Speaker 1: And they could have continued trying one off properties, but you know, as King Congressus Godzilla showed them bringing back.
Speaker 7: An old character.
Speaker 1: And in the case of Godzilla, Godzilla hadn't.
Speaker 7: Appeared for what seven years since you know, the previous film.
Speaker 1: When they brought Godzilla back for King con Versus Godzilla, that made money. So you know, being smart producers, they see what makes money and they decided to continue down the same.
Speaker 7: Path, and that meant, you know, making more Versus movies.
Speaker 1: And one of the best or easiest ways for them to do that was to rely on established characters which we already had out there, and you know, on occasion adding new ones in so things like King Gidra appeared and were added. But basically it's it's you know, I think it was just a matter of judging the market of what what was selling at that time and going forward with that.
Speaker 8: So can you talk to us a little bit about some of the common kid misconceptions and the falsehoods that are around.
Speaker 5: Well, moll no no alas I already mentioned, was the pronunciation of a gojira. But uh, yeah, there's there's one that's uh that was around for a very long time that there were two endings to King Kong versus Godzilla, which was never true.
Speaker 7: There's only one ending of that film.
Speaker 8: I wonder how that got started then.
Speaker 5: Well, supposedly it was made popular and famous monsters of film Land magazine. But I don't think Forrest j Ackerman.
Speaker 7: Made it up.
Speaker 5: I got because I met him once and I asked him about it. I got the impression that he still thought it was true. So I think that he misheard something or somebody else told him, And I don't know who that would be, maybe somebody at the at Universal. Something that's interesting about that, though, is that there are some movies that actually do have two endings, and including Japanese monster movies. One of them is Frankenstein Conquers the World, but only both of those endings are on the DVD. But I only think one of them ever actually was shown theatrically. Yes, that's correct, which ending was shown Theatrically, it's the one that has the giant Frankenstein monster killed them Unster Barragon and then shortly thereafter there's a landslide and he's buried.
Speaker 2: Yep, that's what I say.
Speaker 5: Okay, In the the alternate version, right after Frankenstein kills Barragon, a giant octopus crawls up out of the ocean and grabs Frankenstein and pulls him under the water, actually out.
Speaker 1: Of the lake because they're up in the mountains in the Fuji area, which is very strange because generally octopus don't don't live in lakes, much less up in the mountains.
Speaker 7: But it was very motivated. Yeah, but you.
Speaker 1: Know that that was the American side, who was co funding the production, had asked, or at least the story goes that they had asked that CD film, and ultimately when they saw it, they realized it didn't make any sense, so they didn't use it. So you got the footage that was made specifically for the American version that was never shown in America and eventually only gout wound up seeing in Japan.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So the that's a strange film, But I do like this sort of pulp kind of feel that it has where you start out with the Nazis bringing the heart of the frankeanstin Monster to Japan during World War Two and atomic exposure. It's a brutal film, it's got an American in it. Nick Adams, who's appeared in He appears in several Japanese productions.
Speaker 5: When Monster zero, and I think he was also might have been in some Japanese films that weren't Monster films.
Speaker 2: You know much about his involvement with Japanese cinema, Like how why Nick Adams, I mean, I mean, like how did he get that gig and become the American guy for these Monsters?
Speaker 1: Well, they were looking for American things to sell these films overseas, and one of the things that they can used for that purpose was to get, you know, a well established Western actor, and Nick Adams happened to be the guy that they got.
Speaker 7: I think the story goes that originally they were trying.
Speaker 1: To get somebody like David Janssen to do the part, but he turned it down and Nick Adams, whose career wasn't going all that well at the time, decided to sign on. And Nick was kind of like a much more of a professional actor that you know, regardless of when these were a high bunch of Hollywood films or not, he still gave it us all and he did a good job at what he was given to do. And at least in Japan, among the staff and the director Handa and all his crew and the fellow actors, Nick was a very popular guy because he really took it seriously and gave a good effort and everything he did, unlike Russ Hamblin, who would follow in his footsteps and do only one film in Japan, because he pretty much thought everything about the profession was beneath him, and he treated the whole thing with a great amount of disdain and as a result was never asked back because nobody liked him there.
Speaker 2: Nick Adams his career was cut pretty short. He was still very young when he died, and I think it was to me it looks I mean, well, I'm not a policeman, but he was. He died of a drug overdose, if I remember correctly, But there some of his I think it was Forrest Tucker said he always thought he was murdered, but it seemed like a pretty obvious drug overdose to me, But who do I know? Nick was in Die Monster Die, which had Boris Karloff in it and also was based on an HP Lefcraft story. But where I first saw Nick and loved his work was he did the movie version of No Time for Sergeants with Maybe Griveth, which is just a fantastic movie.
Speaker 7: Well, he was the uple Johnny Immo he was.
Speaker 2: He was. I've never seen that show, but I knew that that was where he was. He got most of his pop culture popularity, and he was apparently good friends with James Dean but or at least claimed to be. Anyway, died too young and is in a lot of films that are in my collection that I like a lot. So any other misconceptions of falsehood do you want to talk about?
Speaker 1: Well, I don't know if it's necessarily falsehoods, but false impressions, you know. Again, Japanese films tend to get a bad rap, especially the film some of the films from the fifties that were brought over here, and that they're not cheap ye, Well, the way they are americanized in many cases especially I'll use Giantis, The Fire Monster and Battle and Outer Space as prime examples, the companies that brought them over here didn't really treat them with a whole big amount of respect, and they they gave them what I would a laughable dubbing tracks, which are not the fault of the the.
Speaker 7: Company that produced the movie. It's it's the company that's releasing over here. Their their their production of the American version was basically really poor, and unfortunately the films themselves lined up suffering by that association you have. You know, like in Gigantis, you have one of the characters being in a basically a Yogi bear voice and some really terrible trite dialogue that they write for the for the dubbing script.
Speaker 1: Uh, they you know would change out music, uh put into you know, library music, or things that just weren't particularly appropriate.
Speaker 7: So Japanese films also kind.
Speaker 1: Of got a bad rap uh at that in the early stages, just because of you know, some very poor dubbing jobs. Things that were like the voices wouldn't match the character on screen, the timing of the dubbing was.
Speaker 7: Bad, but the voice actors were extremely.
Speaker 1: Poor, and all that kind of stuff unfortunately rubs off on the film itself, and film's got a bad rap.
Speaker 7: Because of that, I.
Speaker 8: Was gonna ask why do you think they did that to the movies again?
Speaker 7: You know, in the case of some of these films, these are you know, the.
Speaker 1: Producers and people who were bringing these products into the US market at the time. They're all just looking for a quick buck some kind of product to fill the double features up.
Speaker 7: With at that time. And some of them took a lot of careen doing that.
Speaker 1: Some of them just found the cheapest way to do it possible, right, So, I mean that really varied company by company. In the sixties, it was really like the best situation because of the company by the name of American International picked up a lot of these films, and the studio that they had dubbing the films, Tytris Studios, did a fantastic job. They got real voice actors and they wrote you know, professional dubbing scripts for these things, and they did.
Speaker 7: A fantastic job. Those those films sound really good.
Speaker 1: Unfortunately, those soundtracks are mostly lost today because American International went under and writes writes on some of those films reverted to to and too will not use those dubbing tracks any longer.
Speaker 7: So you have films like the Storal Monsters.
Speaker 1: Which I think original version and original American version is terrific. But you hear the dubbing track that Tovo uses on their video releases now, that was a track that was produced by them over in Asia, and it's atrocious and it makes the film. It makes the film sound sounded look laughable. In comparison, it's really not the same film.
Speaker 7: You know.
Speaker 1: The Storial Monsters is the film I love. I think after seeing the version that's out on video now where they use the Toho's international dubbing track, bad version is so terrible that if I had seen that version first, I probably wouldn't like that movie at all.
Speaker 2: So I'd like to talk about shin Godzilla, which some people call Godzilla Resurgence. I guess that's the international title.
Speaker 7: I think that was the official international title.
Speaker 2: Do you know the story of how that movie came to be? Because it seems quite different from the American version, So this was like a new American version that they recently did twenty fourteen. But there is a big divergence in all these timelines, and I guess that's really where this question is going.
Speaker 9: Is is there an overarching timeline or how you know, it's not like a reboot, but there's this weird shared universe or multiverse of Godzilla properties, and how does Shin Godzilla fit into that?
Speaker 2: Or is anyone trying to make a canonical sort of encapsulation of all these properties. How does that work?
Speaker 5: Well, Shin Godzilla is its own entity, and as of right now, it's the only film that exists in that universe, which is kind of unique because every time that they've rebooted the series before, they've always incorporated the first film. They always said, like, nothing else happened except for the first movie. But this time this is completely starting over from scratch, so it's a remake in the sense that's correct.
Speaker 2: The tones really interesting. I mean, the original Godzilla was very very serious, as we talked about earlier, this one seems more political in nature. Could you talk a little bit about what the theme is or I mean, I don't want to spoil the movie. I mean, in some sense, it's almost like you can't spoil giant monster movies if the point is to watch giant monster smashing stuff. But I think there's a lot going on in this film.
Speaker 5: Well, yeah, there is a lot of political satire and it almost like Doctor Strangelove. I don't want to put it in the say it's on the same level as Doctor Strangelove. You know, it's not anywhere close to being that good, but it's it's in.
Speaker 7: It's kind of doing the same thing. A friend of mine who didn't like.
Speaker 5: It compared it to a bad episode of The West Wing with a monster in it.
Speaker 2: It was a divergent not just in the history, but like the the way Godzilla appears, the Godzilla doesn't just appear the way he appears at the end of the film. There's there's some things happening to his physio physical representation throughout the course of the film.
Speaker 1: You know, in the Kawakita era, Kawakita was really keen on showing different phases of all the different monsters, so you'll see, outside of Godzilla, just about every other creature had multiple forms. That was his way to just get more more creatures in a film. And even with Godzilla, you had the progression from baby to the whole to Junior too vibe Godzila after the parent melted down, So that's not unusual to see that in these films, But for having Godzilla himself go through any kind of changes.
Speaker 7: This was certainly a unique thing. You should say who Kalakita is.
Speaker 1: Kalakita is the special effects director for the films that were made during the late eighties in the nineties. You know, if I could just for a moment go back to the political thing, because one thing I really want to mention about that is I yues the you know shin Godzilla itself is actually a very political movie, and in some ways that's one of the things that I do not appreciate about it because it kind of stands on the head of what Honda had intended to do with Godzilla and why Godzila was created. You know, Godzilla has never been, at least in my opinion, has not been a political symbol, or the movies haven't really been political. They've been about themes that are kind of universal humanistic things. And the fact that they would take Godzilla and use it for blatantly political means in this film, I find that a little bit disturbing to me. Maybe I take it a little differently because I'm so closely associated with this the Honda book and so interested in on the career and his intentions for these films, But it kind of bothers me that the film is used in this way not so much to political satire, because I mean, well, that's that's kind of like the In fact, I don't think that that's particularly special or particularly good feature of this film, because it's such an easy thing to do. You know, the Japanese got and is famous for being very slow and very bureaucratic, and so that's, you know, pretty much like low hanging fruit. And I think that anybody could make a pretty clever satire of the Japanese government. But the thing that bothers me much more is the highly nationalistic viewpoint that this film takes. You know, that pretty much promotes the idea that Japan should disregard the constitution and change it and make the military in Japan pretty much.
Speaker 7: Independent and able to do what they want. And I.
Speaker 1: Think, back up, and I can't tell that mister Honda would have thought about that, but I would think that he'd be highly disappointed that, you know, his the the film property that he created for an entirely different purposes now being used for this kind of political It's story full with the points because Godzilla is never about politics, is.
Speaker 7: Always about uh, you know, the.
Speaker 1: Optimism for for human beings cooperation, warning against nuclear energy and all the dangers that it has inherited it, but not, you know, not for making a latantly political statement such as this film does.
Speaker 7: That's one of the things that really disturbed me about it.
Speaker 5: I said before that I would probably like the film more if it were not Godzilla in it.
Speaker 7: If it had been.
Speaker 5: A completely original film and they made up an entirely new monster, I'm much more prone to to enjoying the film. Although we should make the point here that whatever we think of it, the movie has done gangbuster business in Japan, and in fact won several awards, including Best Picture in the Japanese Academy Awards.
Speaker 1: That's very true, and I think, you know that at least the way I look at this film is, and why I think it wound up being so popular in Japan, is that it's Godzilla for people who don't.
Speaker 7: Care about Godzilla.
Speaker 1: It's uh, you know, it's focus is not very much on Godzilla himself. It's on all this political satire, and then they kind of sneak in the you know, the nationalistic bent towards the end of the movie. A lot of you know, a lot of people who don't normally go see these kind of films want to see this film.
Speaker 7: That's why I looked at wound up being so.
Speaker 1: Popular and in my company because I am My business is headquartered in Japan, so I have multiple trips there each year, and you know, a lot of people in the office in Japan know that, you know, I'm really interested in Gonzulla, so they've they all went to see it.
Speaker 7: They were all interested to talk to me about it.
Speaker 1: And almost to a person, everybody thought that, you know, one of the reasons they really liked this film was because it shows Japan supposedly acting on their own and solving their own problems, and you know that kind of and of course they also enjoyed making fun of the government. But you know, the only thing that they didn't talk about was Godzia. They didn't really seem to really care about that because Godzilla was just the reason for that for all this political satire, and that was what in general, at least in the small sample size of the people that I talked to are in Midway fans, That's what people were kind of really latching onto as far as what made it popular for them.
Speaker 2: I find it really interesting how Japan has changed. I mean since like before World War Two, you know, hugely imperialistic military power, and so since World War Two they're literal, I guess legally mandated behavior has been more pacifistic, and you know, they've been more involved, and I think people tend to think of it more as a technological, capitalistic, you know, culture than as a political military power, right, and that's because of how efficient they were, and my goodness, they were really good at being a military imperialistic government. They were very effective. But so to see this is quite a shift. As you say, I guess the themes of the older film for more about the dangers of that everybody faces, all countries face with the nuclear power, nuclear bombs, and I imagine that Godzilla in the Godzilla verse, there have been other sort of overarching human problems that I mean right now, I find Godzilla versus Hetera to be more effective message about the dangers of pollution than the crying Native American from the commercials in the seventies. So I mean, when I think about using Godzilla for our using Kaiju in general, as these would that the symbolic archetype type of things. Can you think of some other cases where any kaiju have been used this way.
Speaker 5: I think you're asking where, how, in what various ways the films have been used to address social and political issues other than hetero which you just mentioned. Another film, Godzilla's Revenge or also known as All Monsters Attack. It gets a little bit confusing because a lot of these movies have multiple titles, so we're not always sure about what movie we're talking about. But this is the nineteen sixty nine film where pretty much all the monsters are just imaginary in this kid's head, and that film was used to address the latch key kid phenomenon that was going on in Japan at that time, if I'm correct again, another social issue that that's again it's kind of I don't really think gill has.
Speaker 7: Ever been used for political purposes of tilis.
Speaker 1: But another example would be ban which is warning against the ages of biotechnology.
Speaker 2: Oh that's when the Monsters is crossed with a rose bush.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 2: All Monsters Attack is strange because it's probably my least favorite of the films from the storyline perspective, but it has so many awesome monsters in it, right, So you know that's the is that the only film with Kumonga it maybe oh no.
Speaker 5: No, no, In fact, that was stock footage Kumonga also known as Spiga. That's that's another thing that changes names a lot, A lot of these monster names changed. But uh, it was from Son of Godzilla, and I think the.
Speaker 7: Island in that movie is Soulgill Island.
Speaker 2: Yes, I need to rewatch that, so Senat Godzilla.
Speaker 10: Is Minya yet And also I think also that monster Kumonga, Spiga, whatever you want to call it, is also in Destroy All Monsters Briefly, but I think that's stock footage too.
Speaker 2: And I guess does he show up or she? I'm not really sure if it's a girl, but that is in Final Wars Part one or two, I don't remember.
Speaker 5: Yes, yeah, and I assume it's is she just because it's a spider. But yeah, also in the also in Final Wars.
Speaker 2: Yes, yeah, I assume that. Again, this is me making an assumption that may not be quite right. The there is a there's a very similar monster in Kong Skull Island that certainly looks, if not directly supposed to be kamong it looks very similar spider. Yea very cool Uh yeah, so I just got I finally got to see I had. I had to see that movie twice to see it completely because we had a little family emergency come up in the middle of the first attempt. So I now have that successfully under my belt. And if listeners managed to go see the film, if you like giant monsters, I highly recommend it. I don't know if you'll like the plot, but boy howdy, they do some fun giant monster stuff in there, and you stay to the end credits, right, great fun there at the end.
Speaker 1: Yes, please don't tell me one of those guys I haven't seen it.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I'm pleased with the way that the legendary monster versus panning out there.
Speaker 7: I don't like everything.
Speaker 5: That's been done in those two films, but for the most part, I like them more than not.
Speaker 2: They're very expensive to make, and I guess now they're more expensive. But you know, CGI looks fantastic now in ways that it didn't before. It used to be very flat looking in a three dimensional world. The new stuff's looking better. But you know, the way TV definitions are increasing. When you watch these movies at home, sometimes it's for me at least, it's hard to enjoy CG work compared to practical effects, and so I like to watch old movies sometimes in these Blu ray releases and then surprised. I'm always surprised when the old practical effects look phenomenal. I mean, it just looks so good, and then the CG looks clunky. It's almost problem.
Speaker 7: The CGI for me is nothing.
Speaker 5: No other effect ages as poorly as CGI, and something that was done even as recently as five years ago can age really bad, whereas you don't have that problem with stop motion or suitmation or virtually anything else.
Speaker 2: And I don't know what it again, is a cost issue, imagine, but I mean people, as More's law takes effect and computers get more and more powerful, it becomes possible to do some really incredible rendering on less expensive machines, and copyright kind of prevents this. But I maybe in my lifetime, and they've extended it so long, but maybe some of these films will get some really nice, you know, fan based touch up work or something. Maybe it's not within the power of these movie companies to put together the funding to like fix and I would I'm very hesitant an artistic question. These guys were doing the best they could with what they had, but it's also this incredibly rich treasure trove of material that some you know, young people today may not even want to bother with because the effects don't look as good. So now my kids have really enjoyed them. But I don't know if it's universal because some people were like, oh, that looks lame, and they never really get in and enjoy the film. You got to get past the disbelief part, I think to really get a good experience here. There's an animated Godzilla project in the works.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and it was just announced that at least in our market, it's going to be on Netflix.
Speaker 2: Oh interesting, okay, and this is going to be direct to Netflix, Like, do we know how many episodes there are going to be?
Speaker 7: Thing? It's supposed to be a feature film.
Speaker 2: Oh okay, So it's a feature film, but it's done in a is it computer animated style or traditional.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I'm not sure yet what they call it computer graphic animation, but I really don't know what it's going to look like. If it's going to be something like Final Fantasy kind of thing where they trans render everything, you know, or whether it's just going to be your traditional cell animation augmented by computers. I mean that's until we start seeing something, you know, some some actual frames from it, it's hard to say what it's going to be.
Speaker 2: Like.
Speaker 5: The company responsible is called Polygon Pictures. They're the same people who did the Clone Wars TV show, and I think they exclusively do three D animation, although some of the stuff that they've done looks a lot like cell animation interesting, which I would be very pleased if that's the route they went if if they if it, the more it looks like cell animation rather than three D, the happier I'd be.
Speaker 7: I think it would be a much better choice. I would agree with that.
Speaker 2: And when you say three D, you don't mean like put on the glasses, you mean three D style, whereas like it's got depth to it. Okay, yeah, yeah, we don't really have a term around here exactly at my house, but my son is really when we talk about an animated film, he always wants to know if it's going to look more like a flat you know, two D or a three D rendering. But he's we're a little unclear what the best term for that is. But I like that. I mean, it just gets confusing when people think you need to put on glasses versus not but fully rendered spaces versus celle base rendering. It's it is amazing what can be done. It just surprises me how expensive it is because there the it seems like, no matter how much people are able to do at home, the price the movie studio claim for the cost of producing these things keeps going up and up and up, and you know, fans and amateurs can do such astonishing work, and I just I'm always confounded that it's so expensive in such a lengthy process to bring these things out to the market when you know the demand is always going to exceed the ability to produce.
Speaker 11: I suppose the thing this company has done that I think looks the best with something called Knights of Sidonia that also is supposed to be That's exactly what I said. It's a three D animation, but.
Speaker 5: It looks like it's sell animation, so I'm happy with it. Is that s id or seed s I d o Nia.
Speaker 2: That's interesting. I wonder if it's related to Mars in some way. There's that whole Sardonia that's where the face on Mars region is. So there's a new sequel coming out to the Godzilla twenty fourteen that looks like it's going to somehow tie into what's being done with Kong on Skull Island.
Speaker 5: Supposedly in a new film, or Godzilla King of the Monsters as they're calling it, that's going to have Rodin, Matra and King Geedra all. So all four monsters supposedly, which I'm not sure that's such a great idea to do so soon, I think spread out over a couple of films. I mean, when in the original Geezer the Three Headed Monster, you also had all four monsters, but most of the monsters had already been established in previous movies.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I know what you mean. So from a storytelling perspective, it's it's probably more acceptable to your brain to ease yourself into a world with these giant monsters rather than they said, lee, there were not and now there's a look at this, you know, here's all of them. You know. Well.
Speaker 1: One of the problems, one of the problems I've seen to that is that you wind up just kind of escalating things so quickly that you need yourself no room to go on a feature.
Speaker 7: Because I used.
Speaker 1: To always told people when I saw the First Adventures, It's like, Okay, well that was really great, but where do you go from there? Because I don't know, how are you going to top that in terms of the spectacle at the end. And sure enough, I mean what you got with the second film is pretty much exactly the same thing, the big giant battle with lots of minions from the other side that you have a big, long, extended battle with. But you really can't go too much farther beyond that. And if you do something like this where you're going to start adding three four extra monsters in it and having a big battle with them, then I mean, what's next. You have to have ten monsters in the next month and fifteen in the next month. It just you just set yourself up for not being able to top yourself, or if you do try to top yourself, you wind up taking something that that just winds up starting to get ridiculous because because it's to be like overblown. So that's that's that's my concern with them going this far this fast.
Speaker 2: And also it comes into the thing about in the reboot of Godzilla, they introduced the idea of Muto's and that's what the I don't know if you'll call them the villains of the film were, but these are massive unidentified terrestrial organisms. The thing is, though, that's like UFOs, right, It's it's a it's a classification of an unknown phenomena. But the monsters themselves represent only one of basically any class of unknown monster that's going to appear after this. So until you identify it, it's a muto, no matter what it looks like. Right. So it's a strange approach because they make reference to that in the Kong film, and I'm curious if that happened, and this is this is just me being an herb, but what's going to happen to the two creatures we saw in the first Godzilla film. If Muto's are an entire class, those things will need their own specific name, right, so to sort of differentiate them from all the other unknown Course, the new ones, we already know what they are, at least in the sense that, as you say, these monsters are going to appear in the next Godzilla film. I find it really interesting because I like all of these monsters and I like to see them, and it's always been a problem with these from a narrative perspective that most humans are only concerned with humans for storylines, right, So the drama comes from what happens to people, So they always have to tack on a human story to make us enjoy the monster story, or at least that's what the people who produce these seem to believe. I'm not sure it's true. I feel pretty comfortable that I could watch a movie with just a bunch of monsters doing stuff. I don't necessarily need to have a love interest and a human villain and all those other complications to enjoy the films. But since they won't get made unless somebody is willing to dump millions of dollars into it, and those approvals are always going to require those basic, basic narrative tools, I guess I'm out of luck until I get the ability to or until fans were able to do these sort of things on their own.
Speaker 7: I don't know.
Speaker 2: I don't know. Is that Do you ever just sort of wish that they could just do monster movies with giant monsters and not instually have to have people.
Speaker 7: I don't know if I ever thought that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, No, negative, Actually, that's probably another one of the reasons I didn't care about for shing guys, well, because pretty much there is no human story in that, and there's it's almost I guess in a way, they try to make it more like a documentary because there's really no characters or no people you get to know, where people who have any story behind them. They're just kind of like they're there and they're reacting and okay, that's it, but there's really no particular story to it.
Speaker 2: Well, I feel like we're about to enter what could even be a renaissance or a disaster, and we won't really know until it happens.
Speaker 7: I don't know that that's gonna be any new.
Speaker 1: I think this you know again, you guys will, to me strikes me as a one off effort. Okay, So I don't know that it's necessarily going to lead and be the leader in a certain direction or not. I think it would be very difficult for them to follow up and continue that storyline, especially since Donald was not interested in going further with it. So I think probably it's going to be a lot like the uh, you know, the millenniums millennium films, where the next film is just going to be yet again somebody else's take on the same thing.
Speaker 7: Well, if you.
Speaker 2: Could see them redo any of these other properties that haven't already been scheduled, what what what other monster movie would you be interested in seeing them revisit?
Speaker 1: Well, honestly, I just aid see somebody try something new instead of constantly going after remaking and remaking and remaking.
Speaker 5: Well, I mentioned that I'm fond of the British monter Gordo, so I'd like to see that again.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I think my favorite, just as far as standalone films, might have been Rodin. And I don't want to spoil it for anybody, but I love the I think they've had time to see it though, right, don't you so? I could? I loved it? How in the In the story the the there's something happening in this mine and they're not really clear on what's going on exactly, and then they find out there's these giant worm monsters and they're like, oh no, these giant worm monsters are you know, it's causing earthquake type effects. It's killing minors, and you're like, that's horrific. They're so big and dangerous. And then you find out that those are just the things that Rodin eats. That's just his food for baby Rodin. I mean, you know, and there's more than one. So that's the kind of almost love crafty and level shocker that just blew me away when I was a kid. And you know, and I think it, you know, it suffers from the special effects don't hold up so well. But I love that story and I would love to see that kind of level of surprise in a monster film, and that's very unusual for them to It's hard to come up with surprises, I guess.
Speaker 5: So that's one of the few films where I would say a case could be made for saying that the American versions actually superior to the original Japanese version.
Speaker 2: Oh really, what's the difference of Rodin?
Speaker 5: Well, in both films you have two Rodin monsters, but in the American version, the second monster is introduced much much earlier, and in the Japanese version it's just like thrown in there almost at the last minute, very nonchalantly, almost like an afterthought.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it kind of comes out of nowhere, like well, like what's that? Why did that happen?
Speaker 2: So that's how I got that's just looked at one choice they made, or did the Americans do reshoots.
Speaker 1: No, no reshoots, but yeah, they just using reversed footage and changing a few of the events in the film. They just made the second one show up much earlier.
Speaker 2: Wow, I never noticed that. So that's I've only seen the American version based on what you just told me. That's that's interesting. So and I was always I really enjoyed that film. Lots of people get eaten, it's good stuff.
Speaker 5: So too, though, is that in the American version there's a there's a visual faux pas that only happens in that version of the film, and it's not in the Japanese one. One scene where they're at an airport and you look out the window, and what ends up happening is that they were this was just a film footage of an airport that was being projected behind them for some reason, because they obviously they were shooting is in the studio, so they're not really at an airport, so they just have film footage behind them. But there's one part where in the American version it starts looping over, so like you see a vehicle moving and then all of a sudden, it starts going backwards.
Speaker 7: Well I think.
Speaker 1: That that's because they you know, they wanted to extend the dialogue in that scene, and they just they just you know, loop the footage backwards rather than cut the dialogue down at the scene. And I can't say for sure if that's what happened, but I mean, I can't imagine any other reason why that would would happen, because they don't. I'm sure they didn't have these separate elements of Matt shot in order to redo that. So I'm sure that they just rewound the footage back just to extend, you know, like I said, just to extend the dialogue, so that what you know, the American people had done for that particular scene.
Speaker 5: We haven't talked all about gam or Diamond Gin or Gotha Orgilala.
Speaker 2: That's true. How does Gamera fit into this in real history? How does Gammera fit into the Japanese cinema history? Like was he a direct response to Godzilla or well?
Speaker 5: In short answers, yes, it was just yeah, nineteen sixty five, Die wanted some of that dikaiju money action that Godzilla was getting because these films were popular in the sixties. They weren't the only type of Japanese film that was popular, but because they were also like the Zatoichi film Samurai, you know, movies, there were comedies, there were lots of films that were popular, but Dyke Giant monster movies were a type of film that were popular. So Die wanted some of Toho's actions, so they made their own monster.
Speaker 2: And Gamera has spawned quite a few sequels. I think I'm guessing a lot of our listeners will have seen them primarily through Mister Science Theater eight thousand, but they seem to be more kid focused, or that's my take on it. I mean, is that they deliberately targeted children, Yes, very intentionally. So.
Speaker 5: Noriaki Yuasa, who made most of those movies, just really liked kids and he wanted to make movies that were friendly for kids. So that's why Gammer became the friend of all children, which.
Speaker 1: Is kind of ironic because when you look at those old films, they couldn't be more bloody and violent, right exactly, which I always thought was very peculiar. That yes, I meansa was really totally interested in, you know, making these films for very small kids, but at the same time he put images in there that were particularly gruesome. I mean, you know, guys getting his head chopped off, and there's always Amma's blood is flowing like water, because actually it is water. And you know, things like that happened, which which at the same time as Toho that was something that Sobriah was munutely against you showing Godzilla leading on leading that kind of thing like that kind of violence. So it was that was that was kind of an interesting, uh contradiction that was in.
Speaker 7: Those the old Gamera films.
Speaker 1: And then think about it too, and then what so what happened is those films, for whatever reason, were popular enough that and finally with Godzilla's Revenge, it kind of prompted Toho to answer back. And I think Gozila's Revenge was their answer back to a film that could target the same audience. And that's why you got after the Stromal Monsters. They kind of you went backwards and kind of went to a very simple, low cost uh type of production. And what that production wound up being was, you know, like I said, the directly wants to die, and I think that in doing so, they'd be die at their own game.
Speaker 2: That's interesting. That reminds me of the sort of few, not really few, but the parallels between Hammer and Amicus films. It's like Amicas went so far as Steved use a lot of the same actors, you know, so.
Speaker 7: Right, same type.
Speaker 5: And we should mention that for a long time, fans of the genre have considered the Gamera films to be just inferior copies of the Godzilla movies. But an interesting thing happened in the nineteen nineties when Gamera was rebooted and they had this this trilogy of new Gamera films that were a complete remark, and Godzilla movies were being remade, you know, they those Godzilla movies in the nineties were happening.
Speaker 7: At the same time.
Speaker 5: But the general consensus seems to be that the Gamera films of the nineteen nineties are not only are they better than the Godzilla films of the nineteen nineties, but they are among the best giant monster movies and more monster movies period ever made.
Speaker 2: They're very popular here at my house. Yeah, I think gets more rewatched, but I think there's in general. I enjoy watching those, and my kids like them quite a bit, so I don't know that's anecdotal, but I like the special effects in them, in the they have a nice story arc. I am curious though, like Gamera is such an odd creature because he bleeds, so he seems to be biological, Yet he flies through space and shoots flames out of his leg holes. He's he's an odd cat. I don't know what his story is exactly, you know, people, And we'll even do it for this episode. I'll talk a little bit about the why these kuyd you are biologically impossible. But you know, trying to explain that about Gammera just as silly. I mean, he's clearly not. He's more of a fantasy creature, I guess.
Speaker 5: And even Gammera seems realistic compared to some of the things that crop up in Japanese television shows.
Speaker 12: Wow, and there's been a lot of that too, you know, the uh so I would imagine that Ultraman and Spector Man, these also were sort of kicked off by the Kaiju films.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well pretty much everything you know in the mid sixties, that was the Kaiju boom when uh, you know, we had that little version of the thing either, the three headed monster. So theatrically those films were doing very well and producing a few other films at the same time Dogara Atrinon and then at the same time Subrai had started up ultra Q and Ultraman. So all around this time period there was the big boom and monster films in monsters in Japan, TV was starting to get away at it. But you had not only Di went in with Gambra, and then the following year you had Gapa from uh Because and you from show Cheq. So everybody was kind of getting on the bandwagon at that point, and unfortunately, very quickly it all started to fall apart as TV started to suck the life out of the feature feature film business. It was a lot easier for you kids to stay at home and watch monsters on TV for free than it was to you know, mom and dad take into the theater and pay to see pretty much the same thing. Quality wise, it wasn't really the same thing, but you know, for especially for younger children, that was probably pretty much the mindset. So unfortunately, the proliferation of monsters, especially as far as it goes to TV, started sounding the started started the monster film industry on the down swing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's unfortunate, but I did get some great memories from that. I liked In America, it was called Space Giants, but I guess in Japan it was The Ambassador Magma. That's just such a it's a trippy show. But I mean, it's got a family of robots, with the father being I don't know what is the fifty feet tall, hundred feet tall something like that.
Speaker 5: He's really big, hundred feet tall in the translated version, I don't know how.
Speaker 2: Well, it's got shape shifters and aliens and giant monsters and it's it's awesome, and it's long. It's like fifty two episodes. Yeah, so I you know, there's just a tremendous amount of fun material out there. So I know, unfortunately we're running out of time here, but I wanted to ask the question, and we always like to ask our guests, but we're going to modify it just a little bit because before we even did this interview, I know you've expressed some reservations about picking a single favorite monster, So so I'm gonna I'm gonna ask it this way. Yes, what are some of your favorite monsters? And what do you think your favorite Kaiju film is?
Speaker 7: Shall I go first? Go ahead?
Speaker 5: Mike got Yeah, Well, obviously there's only one king, so that that's going to be my favorite monster in second excellent.
Speaker 2: Pong excellent, right, America.
Speaker 5: Yeah, So to spell it out for people, either, yeah, Goddilla takes first place. Second place, I would put King Guidora or King Giedra or Gidra however you're going to pronounce, and he can proounce it.
Speaker 7: All those ways are all correct.
Speaker 2: H one name for each head.
Speaker 5: Yes, but unfortunately I don't think he's been done justice since the nineteen sixties. And in third place, I'll throw a curveball and put in the British monster Gorgo and his mother nice Yes, uh huh, And I guess.
Speaker 6: That huge show notes on this episode.
Speaker 5: Right, and they I don't really have any any of that fall into line after that.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 5: I like Angulus, I like Malthra, I like rode In. I guess I like rode In more than Angulus and Malthra. So we'll book road In a number four and we'll just put We'll put Malthra at number five.
Speaker 1: Okay, Well, I mean obviously Godzilla, without a doubt is number one. I mean, Godzilla is the reason that all of this got started, and it's the probably the most iconic monster character that ever came out of Japan. It would be hard to pick against Godzilla, But beyond Godzilla, I would have.
Speaker 7: To agree with Mike that King Dedra is probably the second on my list.
Speaker 1: It's just, you know, such an impressive looking design, and you just I can I can still think back to the the day that I saw that film in the theater, giving a three headed monster, and how overwhelming that experience was, and seeing that that creature on the screen the first time.
Speaker 7: It's something that I'll never forget.
Speaker 1: So I would put Giras as a second, and probably my third favorite, the giant monster would.
Speaker 7: Would be author.
Speaker 1: Author is just again it's a kind of iconic figure, and I like the idea of the simplicity.
Speaker 7: Of its design. I think that, you know, it's all too often.
Speaker 1: You know, people get a little especially today, you know, when people are designing creatures and spaceships and stuff, they go overboard on detail and making it look complicated.
Speaker 7: I'm kind of the opposite approach, you know that.
Speaker 1: I think simplicity is but there's beauty and simplicity, just like in spaceships.
Speaker 7: Uh, take the enterprise.
Speaker 1: Take the enterprise over everything else, because the enterprise is just a couple.
Speaker 7: Of simple minds, and it's it's.
Speaker 1: Basically frozen motion looks beautiful the way it is, and I'll apply the same kind of thinking to Matha. Mathra has that that simplicity of design that is elegant and very impressive.
Speaker 2: I shouldn't ask any more questions because I know we're out of time. But I god Zuki or scrappy Do, god Zukier scrappy Do, who's the worst?
Speaker 7: Well?
Speaker 5: I will actually watch the Hannah Barbara Godzilla and hate it. And uh, the scrappy Do I just won't even watch.
Speaker 2: So that is scrappy Do is worse.
Speaker 7: And death is not an option? Are we talking about for the characters?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I just I every time I might hear god Zuki, hear and god Zuk.
Speaker 7: And then don't stop.
Speaker 2: You can't.
Speaker 6: All right, Thanks so much for coming, guys, Thank you so much.
Speaker 7: You're welcome. We love it great. Thanks guys, monster.
Speaker 2: Thanks for listening to Monster Talk, the science show about monsters. Today you heard Blake Smith and Karen Stolsno interviewed Michael Keller and Ed got Yrschsky about Godzilla and other giant monsters. Please check out the show notes at Monster Talk dot org for links to their work. We appreciate their sharing so much of their time with us to talk about these awesome monsters. Monster Talk is an official podcast of Skeptic Magazine. The opinions you heard today were those of ourselves and our guests and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of Skeptic Magazine or the Skeptic Society. I'm not even sure the Skeptic Magazine has an official position on Godzilla. Heck, they probably don't even believe it's a real fret.
Speaker 6: We hope you've enjoyed this episode of Monster Talk. Each episode we strive to bring you the best in monster related content, with a focus on bringing scientific skepticism into the conversation. If you enjoy Monster Talk, we now have a variety of ways to support the show, all with convenient links at monster talk dot org, forge slash support. That's monster talk dot org forge slash support. There, we have links to our Patreon pages, as well as a donation button. A great way to support the show is to buy us books from our Amazon Monster Talk wish list, which directly helps us with our research. We love usbooks very much, so don't feel compelled to buy new ones and we love kindle and we can share our digital library with each other. Finally, without spending any money at all, you can support us by leaving a positive review at iTunes or wherever you get your podcasts. Positive reviews help keep us visible in iTunes, which is a great way to help us find new listeners. And please share our show on your favorite social media platforms. One more quick mentioned Monster Talk fan Jeff Zornau does some fantastic at godzill R. You can find him on Twitter at z r now thirteen and there's a link to his artwork in the show notes. Monster Talk theme music is by Pete Stealing Monkeys. Thanks again for listening.
Speaker 4: Want to stay abreast of the latest from Skeptic magazine and the Skeptic Society. Want cutting edge skeptical articles delivered straight to you in box every week, Then subscribe to e Skeptic, the free electronic newsletter of the Skeptic Society. Visit skeptic dot com to sign up.
Speaker 2: Boy, how doy They do some fun giant monster stuff in there.
Speaker 7: And you stay through to the end.
Speaker 2: Credits right, great fun there at the end.
Speaker 1: Yes, please don't tell me one of those guys I haven't seen it yet.
Speaker 2: No, no, I wouldn't tell you. But but I'm just saying Matthew. I'm just saying Matthew broderck Steele looks great. He's aged so well. That's all I'm saying.
Speaker 7: What I'm not sure if the banana was necessary
Speaker 2: It was important to the plot, Okay,