Speaker 1: On one hand, it's about a type of mission that Jaysak has been training for since its inception, which is counter proliferation counter weapons of mass destruction.
Speaker 2: But it also zeros in specifically on the.
Speaker 1: Case of Iran and the plans and the training exercises that Jaysak has conducted to potentially go into Iran by force and remove the highly enriched uranium, and this is an operation that would be incredibly complex and incredibly dangerous. Some people in the command began referring to it as Eagle Claw two point zero, which is a reference to Operation Eagle Claw in nineteen eighty in which Delta Force and the Rangers went to rescue hostages that were being held in Tehran. The whole thing ended in a fiasco at a desert stage in ground called Desert One, where a helicopter and aircraft were blown up. Other helicops were disabled by a sandstorm.
Speaker 2: The operation fell apart for a variety of different reasons.
Speaker 1: A lot of them were technical and mechanical, not because the guys didn't have the balls to do it. They certainly did.
Speaker 3: Hey, everybody, Welcome to a new episode special episode of Eyes on Jill Politics. I'm joined with Jack Murphy, investigative journalist, podcaster, forty three year old. Happy birthday, Jack Jacksonday birthday. Today, you guys have a new article you and Sean Naylor on the High Side about basically detailing the entire raid that's been planned since the beginning of the war to go in and grab the highly enriched geranium out of a I guess if you once you dig into the article, it's two sites that they were really planning on hitting, but there's there's Intelli just suggesting maybe there it's at three sites, so obviously an incredibly complicated uh mission. Yeah, the article's great. Check it out at the high Side, The high Side. That link is down in the description. Uh, it's stuff that no other journalists I feel like get so really good shit. I'm sure that people are freaking out down and down in Where's Jaysuck based out of Tampa Brag. I'm sure they're not happy there today because you go into some good detail, like you name the squadrons and everything, but like, just give me the whole give us like the you know, quick pitch on what the article is about.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so the story is called Iran WMD rate inside Jaysock's most challenging mission yet. I wrote it with my colleague Sean Naylor at the high Side. Shawn's on vacation, so he's not here today, so I'm the best of yet.
Speaker 3: Sorry, guys, Sean's working on his tan.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I hope so.
Speaker 1: I And so the story is about On one hand, it's about a type of mission that JAYSAK has been training for since its inception, which is counter proliferation counter weapons of mass destruction.
Speaker 2: But it also zeros in specifically on the case of.
Speaker 1: Iran, and the plans and the training exercises that JAYSAK has conducted to potentially go into Iran by force and remove the highly enriched uranium, and this is an operation that would be incredibly complex and incredibly dangerous. Some people in the command began referring to it as Eagle Claw two point zero, which is a reference to Operation Eagle Claw in nineteen eighty in which Delta Force and the Rangers went to rescue hostages that were being held in Tehran. The whole thing ended in a fiasco at a desert stage in ground called Desert One, where a helicopter and aircraft were blown up. Other helicopters were disabled by a sandstorm. The operation fell apart for a variety of different reasons. A lot of them were technical and mechanical, not because the guys didn't have the balls to do it. They certainly did, but you ran into these insurmountable problems. And I think this operation, you know, I had a Delta Force veteran one time. Tell me he's like, you know, Operation Eagle Claw was so complex that even today, with all the fancy helicopters we have and great technology, we probably still couldn't pull something like that off. And I think that was a thought process that went, you know, it kind of carried forward into this operation. And again the guys, you know, the commands were certainly very eager to get in and do this mission. But there's also some trepidation in some corners about what the likely prospects are once the operators get on the ground. What I mean that is the movement into I ran into a denied area is difficult. You have to get there, You have to establish some sort of a stage and ground. This operation would require an improvised landing strip if nothing else. You'd have to land aircrafts. For two reasons, The first is that you would have to land all kinds of engineering equipment and bulldozers and excavators and stuff like that, because the tunnels that lead into these underground facilities have been collapsed and destroyed. Largely they were destroyed by Operation Midnight Hammer a few months prior to all of this kicking off, where we went in and bombed these sites, but there are also reports that the Iranians went in themselves and collapsed and booby trapped some of the tunnels. So you have to move in heavy excavating equipment. That's not a jastock mission per se. That's more of a just a conventional army or a Navy operation where you haven't bring these guys in.
Speaker 3: So it's not just like one hundred operators going in doing the thing getting out correct.
Speaker 1: It's not the bin laden raid where like fifteen guys are going to go in there and like save America and kick some ass. Right. This would require probably in the neighborhood of a thousand of fifteen hundred boots on the ground. You would have rangers doing an outer court on and then you would have in this case it was a development group Sealed Team six had the lead on this one. They would be the assault squadron that goes in and if there's of course a security element, they're going to be eliminated by the operators. And then at some point the excavating excavating is going to have to take place that we talked about, and then there's an unit called the twenty first EOD Company, which would go in and actually secure the device. They're the ones that have the actual WMD training to do that, and then it becomes the whole process of getting it out of there. We're told it's something in the neighborhood, like three hundred to four hundred kilograms of highly enriched uranium that would need to be moved. There's a separate, yet another element that would handle that, called the Technical Escort Unit, and they are the guys that manage and move nuclear materials physsile materials from point A to point B. They're part of the US military. They didn't They've done operations in the past. For instance, they removed highly enriched uranium from Kazakhstan in the nineteen nineties, and even this one, this flew under the radar, but I mean, the US government reported this themselves in a press release. Just in the like maybe a month and a half ago, we removed highly enriched uranium from venezuela from a student like a academic student reactor or something like that that they had there. And again that would be the technical escort unit that would manage that and the Venezuela thing that's done in the Kazakhstan mission that I mentioned. These previous operations, they were done in cooperation with the local.
Speaker 4: Government, right yeah, environment, yeah, right, right, We're going to go in, We're going to take this dangerous material off of your hands, and in return, you know, you're going to get favorable economic deals or whatever whatever the case is.
Speaker 1: Right, Yeah, this would be by force. Now, the whole scheme of the operation that I just laid out, the technical escort unit brings the uranium out. It has to be flown out on fixed wing because of the static electricity created by rotor blades. That's a whole other thing. Now, everything I'm describing in this Iran mission would also be conducted in a CBRN environment you know, chemical, radiological, biological, and nuclear, and that would require wearing protective suits, you know, the protective masks the whole nine yards and while you're doing that, you're having to assault, excavate, secure, you know, render safe all sorts of different devices.
Speaker 3: And hold off the Iranian military from coming in be know, basically attacking you the whole day.
Speaker 1: While they're lobbing drones and ballistic missiles at you and all kinds of fun stuff. Right, So it's an incredibly complicated mission. It's Jaysak has trained extensively for this type of mission. However, as far as I've been able to ascertain, they never really trained for an operation where they first had to do the excavating of the site, where they had to like dig it up. There are some past examples where this was looked if something similar was looked into in the nineteen nineties, there's the Tarhuna facility in Libya where Gadaffi was running a underground chemical weapons facility, and this is really interesting. The plan to go and deal with that was for the Delta Force guys to goad vehicles onto these huge Marine corps hovercraft, drive them, you know, through the sea the Mediterranean up onto the beaches, and then go as far inland as they can stop, drop ramp, unload the vehicles. Then the vehicles drive to the facility and they would be taking with them, towing with them industrial mining equipment, industrial drills, you know these things that would you know, go vertical and you drill down into the earth. And what they were going to do was go on the top of the facility, drill down into it, and then using a cement mixer truck, they would pour an explosive slurry down the hole into the facility and detonate it and destroy the facility. But there's also again there's complications there. They carried out feasibility studies at the Nevada test site on this drilling into bedrock to see how fast it can be done, and even with the best equipment and the best professionals doing it, it could take weeks. Yeah, so all of these things are much more complicated, and you just run into these sort of insurmountable problems. But I think one of the other things that this article explores a little bit is that there are limitations on what small teams of special operators can realistically accomplish. You just run into these problems where you know, there's only so much that they can do, right.
Speaker 3: I mean, yeah, they basically how it read was essentially like you know, Silver Squadron ragor Battalion and maybe some elements from eighty second Airborne or whatever would shoot their way in to get to Isfahan and either four dour natons I don't know which, I know Isfahan was probably the main one, and then set up a perimeter, a security perimeter for weeks at a time so they could have a construction project going on. Right, Like that sounds insane, right because we al know that, like or at least we think that, like you know, Jaysack and special operations in general is usually used outside of like Iraq in Afghanistan where it was more long term, but like they're used for quick hits, like that's their whole, that's their bread and butter, that's where they make their money essentially, and then to send in a bunch of like the twenty first EOD guys and equit me. It's literally like set shooting everybody up, setting up a construction site for like a month probably yeah, and hopefully fingers crossed, we could get all the stuff out and bring it to Washington, right, is like the lab where they could do like the you know, the investigation on where it's from and all that stuff and just you know, securely retain it.
Speaker 1: Yeah. That's another aspect of this operation that has changed over the decades is that in the beginning, in the early years, the idea was interception or sabotage destruction, that you would go in and destroy the facilities, like we talked to Mountain Libya. What it evolved into over the years was that Jaysok would actually go in secure the physile material, secure the warhead, whatever it was, and actually take it out with them.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 1: And from what I can tell this is this would be done for a couple of reasons.
Speaker 2: You know, if it's uh, you.
Speaker 1: Know, a Russian nuclear warhead or something like this, we would want to obviously study that and reverse engineer it.
Speaker 3: In detail, you know, see where they got their stuff from, right, obviously like.
Speaker 1: To see how we can defeat that kind of technology. But also yes, if you know, if we went into Iran and we secured physile materials, we would want to study those materials in the lab here in the United States and determine if another country gave that to them.
Speaker 2: You know, and again I do not know this for a fact.
Speaker 1: I'm just saying, you know, theoretically, if like Russia or China were to give them physile material, if like something like the aq con network were to like render that that sort of material to them, that's.
Speaker 3: Yeah, there's a really interesting quote that you just posted when you reposted the article just now. I don't think this is an operation. I don't think this operation has been done before, even in a training environment, said the former defense contractor, adding that if the facility itself was buried in rubble jaysock would probably just completely destroy what remained with explosives rather than try and dig out the fissile material. That sounds insane too, Like, how is that you know it's already covered up, It's already for the most part buried anyway. Also in the article, you also mentioned about like the worry about even taking a couple of kilograms of enrich uranium and making a dirty bomb. Wouldn't that also, like, you know, there's probably environmental factors to be thinking about if you're blowing up fissile material in place, right. I mean, sure it's on the ground, so maybe it'll be a little bit less impact, you know, impact the environment, but still there's dangers there.
Speaker 2: If that course of action was taken.
Speaker 1: I think the idea would be that you'd fully collapse what remained of the tunnels and just entomb the material inside, which arguably is more of a delaying measure. It's not really a final resolution to the problem. The problem being that you can't really just leave highly enriched uranium under the deserts of Iran forever, because if some idiot were to go and dig that up, doesn't have to be the Iranian government. I mean, say some terrorist organization even went and digs that up and just a few milligrams of it could cause a serious issue. Like you said, if you blew up a dirty bomb, you know in you know, Eastern Europe or Western Europe or wherever, you know, you could cause a huge disaster. So you can't really just leave the material out there. Someone has to secure it. Now, maybe we reach a deal with the Iranians and they secure it. I know at one point there's even talk with the Chinese government that they might go in and secure it, or we could reach a deal with the Iranians where our forces go in there peacefully and secure it, like we did in Kazakhstan years ago. Yeah, but you can't really just leave the material out there under the desert forever. But for the time being, it seems like that's kind of what's going to happen at least for the foreseeable future, that we're going to monitor these sites with satellites and if anyone started moving excavating equipment in there, we would be able to detect that and pick it up pretty quickly. Because, you know, the Chairman of the Joint Chiefs, Dan Cain, got briefed up on this and he went and briefed President Trump, and the President decided not to greenlight this operation, largely for the reasons that we've been talking about that it's high risk, there could be quite a few American casualties. And there are some other things to some opsect things that I think some people in the community are glad we're not going to have to use. There are things that relate to like electronic intelligence and things like this. Basically capabilities we would use that we would only be able to use once because our adversaries would afterwards understood what understand what we did, and they would adapt. So there are kind of high end capabilities are considered to be like one and done's you know, you're only going to get one shot at it, and so I think perhaps this is the administration coming to terms with what we were discussing that there's limitations on what you can accomplish, that Jaysak isn't just the easy button you can press to resolve tricky foreign policy issues. Throughout President Trump's two administrations, there have been a number of you know, lightning fast operations that were highly successful, the killing of al Baghdadi and Syria, the killing of cost Some Solimani in Iraq, then more recently the Maduro capture in Venezuela, and then even Operation Midnight Hammer was kind of you know, quick airstrikes. There wasn't really any downside for the United States per se. But with this particular operation, now you're coming up against that wall where it's like, okay, we're not going to be able to just helicopter, you know, twenty five operators in to kick some ass and come home. Like it's it's a little bit more complicated than that.
Speaker 3: I mean, you kind of see it a little bit. What happened with the F fifteen pilot that got the F fifteen that got shot down in the wizzow that was out there for I can't even remember what it was like almost a week, right he was out there and no, just like I'm sorry, yeah, two days. But like the operation that Jaysack went under, you undertook essentially, you know, it was not easy. It didn't seem you lost a lot of assets. Thankfully no one died on our side, but still, like think about that, do you know essentially doing the same thing, right, they wanted to land fixed wing airplanes, they did it got stuck. They got stuck in the sand essentially, so they had to improvise. Uh So, just thinking about the scale and the scope of what this would entail, it sounds crazy. It sounds like it's it also like kind of mirrors or parallels, Like everyone was talking about car Island and stuff like that, Like taking carg Island. It's like, okay, yeah, we'll send like five hundred one thousand marines in there, secure the island, take it. But then they're literally getting pounded until for what until when?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 3: Yeah? I also did like the sub little subplot drama in terms of like the JSOCK officers and stuff like that, who were like, yeah, no, we could totally do this, like this would easy, you know, And I also like, I want you to talk a little bit about the uh, the friction between like Jysock and sent Coom specifically.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the issue was that, Yes, I mean the the JSOK headshed sounds by all accounts pretty eager to go ahead and do this. They wanted to get on with the mission and get it done. H They've been kind of on standby for this mission for about three months, which is kind of unusual to have Jasock ford deployed.
Speaker 2: For such a long period of time.
Speaker 1: I think they had to issue a bunch of waivers just to keep them forward deployed that long.
Speaker 3: The question Jack starta there is because like the Jaysak guys are supposed to like continue to rotate into like the hot like you know, into another job. You know, like is that it?
Speaker 1: Yeah, they have to maintain a high state of readiness and you can't. You have to rotate the guys on and off that high state of readiness so that they can do their training, they can go on leave, their professional development, et cetera. So there's this rotation schedule with the different squadrons and the different ranger battalions. You know, as we talked about, you know, Jaysak is kind of tailor designed for highly precise surgical operations that happen, uh, you know, during a period of darkness. They're not designed for like long duration operations. That's more of like a special forces mission, a conventional military mission.
Speaker 2: Even rangers, you know, bring.
Speaker 1: A lot more assets to the table for like a long duration mission. But so yeah, Jaysock was eager to get on with it, but Sentcom wanted to that is, Central Command, the overall combatant command over the Middle East, was more interested in prioritizing other targets. There's also a thought that all kinds of triggers would need to be met in the lead up to executing this operation, that we had to do more things to eliminate Iranian air defense and their various military capabilities before we even attempted this mission. So, just as an example, JAYSAK had two Reaper drones circling objectives that they wanted to hit that they were interested in in Iran and they wanted like that kind of like persistent twenty four hour eye in the sky over those targets. And two of those drones got shot down by the Iranians. And I'm not sure the precise number. I think since the war started, we've lost like fifteen reapers or something like that. So this is this is a different kind of war. This is not Afghanistan or Iraq, where we had uncontested airspace, and so this is kind of like where the friction kind of developed, I think a little bit between common Jaysock and uh. But now we're at this point where it seems increasingly clear this operation simply isn't going to be executed and it's simply on standby as like a deterrent to like rid your finger at a ram, Like, hey, you better cut a deal with that.
Speaker 3: We're ready to go.
Speaker 1: Like, yeah, because I've been told that the forward deployed Jaysak guys and their attachments and abors and so forth are already starting to trickle back to the United States because this forward deployment was impacting mission readiness for so long.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well, like, I mean, I guess it hasn't changed much, right, But even during Afghanistan, in Iraq, like and Syria, you know, Jaysock and Ranger Battalion deployments were usually like three months give or take maybe four, So we're like coming up to that. So it's understandable why, like, you know, they want to bring people back and maybe rotate them out.
Speaker 1: Yeah, some guys were afraid that this whole thing was going to turn into like their delay. I meant to Cyprus after Gaza happened, and they spent and I think they may have been.
Speaker 2: Spent something like.
Speaker 1: I don't have the number in front of me, but I think it was a couple of hundred.
Speaker 2: Days that they were so long, Yeah.
Speaker 1: And and all that standing by to stand by, and the only people who got to play on the Gaza thing were the TFO guys. So, I mean, I guess the you know, the upside is hard to see an upside, but you know, the F fifteen pilot getting shot down and the Wizzo, the Jaysok guys did go out there and get to you know, do their thing and rescue that guy.
Speaker 3: So there were elements from that Jaysock squadron that was waiting for the highly enriched mission that went in for for the fifteen.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there were elements of them.
Speaker 3: Yeah. And also just to remind everybody, when the Jaysock deployed after October seventh and the Gaza War started, that was for the potential of going into evacuate embassies right and and get hostages.
Speaker 1: And hostages out of Gaza.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: And there's a huge article also on the high Side.
Speaker 1: About that Gaza deployment that I wrote a few years ago when it happened.
Speaker 3: When you mentioned the TFO guys, like TFO guys were on.
Speaker 1: The ground, Uh so, yeah in Israel, yes, And what was going on was that they were working with the Israelis, and the Israelis would in turn be sending they would be sending their you know, spies, their surrogates and so on into Gaza. And what the TFO guys were fielding where they were fielding to the Israelis highly classified technology, signals intercept technology that used like some sort of AI on it.
Speaker 2: It was like some it was the most sensitive stuff.
Speaker 1: We've had, I'm told, and we're giving that to them and like not even telling them what it was or how it worked. Just like here's the on button, like when you get where you're going, just flip it on and then flip it off and come back and we'll take it.
Speaker 3: And of course, yeah, the Israelis didn't, didn't and see what the fuck that was about?
Speaker 1: For sure, No, I'm sure, I mean they know the deal, of course. But yeah, so the TFO guys got to go out there and do some stuff. I mean, when it first happened, I was told there's a TFO bird that got diverted from the Black Sea over Ukraine stuff down to Gaza. Had to fly all the way down and start doing coverage on that. I mean, we sent so much air assets to Gaza. I mean the amount of drones were flying over were insane.
Speaker 3: Yeah, funny you mentioned that, like that TFO team got diverted from Black Sea to Gaza. The Silver Squadron or Seal Team six and Jaysock their mission. They were prepping for something having to do with North Korea before the Iran stuff popped off. You have any idea what that was about.
Speaker 1: I don't know if there was a specific training scenario or like a specific real world scenario that they were training for. Usually the training scenarios are realistic, but maybe not necessarily for like an actual situation that we that's imminent, right, that you're going to have to execute on. That would be a mission rehearsal rather than a training exercise. But there are a number of underground North Korean nuclear facilities command and control bunkers, and that's that's a whole other can of worms. And so like when we're saying it's going to take you know, a thousand people to do this Iran mission, I mean to take one of these like underground North Korean facilities would probably take a division.
Speaker 3: Crazy. Yeah, yeah, man, that's so crazy. And the other interesting like little tidbit in the article was before nine to eleven, jaysocks like this was a big, big part of Jaysox's mission essentially, you know, like you wrote, like hundreds of millions of dollars when into like training them up and getting them ready for this.
Speaker 1: Yeah, from from the very beginning before Delta Force was even validated, when they were like doing the train up and getting their stuff together, they're training to intercept what we're called I in these improvised the nuclear devices. You know, what if a terrorist organization built a nuclear bomb, which is kind of hard for a terrorist organization to do, but this was a legitimate fear at the time, and exercises were run where you know, the Delta guys would go and secure you know, a tractor trailer that had a simulated weapon in the back, and then like the NEST guys, the Nuclear Emergency Search Team dudes would go in and secure it. There were all these different like nuclear teams that you know, people don't know about. You know, we mentioned the Technical Escort Team. There's another element called the Joint ember Immune Team, which like red teams nuclear facilities and nuclear convoys testing their security.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's interesting stuff.
Speaker 1: But so the JAYSK participated in a number of early exercises in the nineteen eighties, they had having their EOD guys go down and the Department of Energy would test them on like rendering safe devices, and they'd have exercises where they'd have to break through security to get to the device and then disarmam it. And you know, as that mission evolved over the years, you know, during the Obama administration, for example, there was well this is interesting during the this isn't in the article either, but during the Obama administration, the plan for Iran, the classified plan was called the nitro Zeus and some of it was done in conjunction with the Israelis, like we're developing some joint munitions like bunker buster type bombs, and nitro Zeus was sarcastically referred to by some in the community as New Zion and and interestingly too Obama also decided not to green light that whole Iran plan. He was like, no, like that's crazy, and he went with Jappoah instead and negotiated the Iran deal. And you know, it seems like President Trump is getting to the same place, but only after this prolonged period of back and forth bombings and other nonsense, probably one hundred billion dollars wasted and thirteen servicemen died. Yeah, but at that time, back during the Obama years, you know, and not just then, but subsequent afterwards as well, Jaysck was doing these exercises where like a squadron would free fall into the Nevada test site, heavy drop all of their vehicles.
Speaker 3: Once they get on the drop all their vehicles, I would.
Speaker 1: Like like push the vehicles out of the back of an airplane with parachutes, and then once they get on the ground, do like you know, thirty kilometer overland movement to a simulated underground nuclear bunkler. There are a bunch of tunnels at the Nevada test site. I think one might be called like j tunnel. And these missions, these training missions were not done administratively like they went underground and were explosively breaching like heavy vault bunker doors. Yeah, pretty hardcore stuff. So yeah, they trained extensively. I mean, there's another case that I talk about in the article just prior to nine to eleven. Also in Kazakhstan, there is a biological weapons lab and the lab was kind of set up and run by this guy named ken Alabek, who was a Kazakh but obviously also a member of the Soviet Union because of what was going on when he was born there. Yeah, and he wrote a book that I read called Biohazard, which is fascinating. He eventually defected, But in the nineteen nineties we were looking at that facility and they were going to use it as a takedown target for Delta to come in and do as a training exercise in conjunction with with the cooperation of the Kazakh government, and it would be this great experience for the unit to go and actually sees a live It wasn't currently producing biological weapons, but it had everything there that.
Speaker 3: You would need to do that. Yeah, there's pictures in the article.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so it's about as realistic a scenario as you're possibly gonna get. Yeah, and they were all jocked up to do that there were Jasok guys that would come to Kazakhstan undercover with the Ditra guys and like and so again it's a way for like Delta to get to certain places and like measure vault doors and stuff like that. Like, oh, this is how the Russians build this, you know, right, this is how they they the chemical weapons vats are made, and there's all this stuff involved in producing biological weapons and like how they're aerosolized or how they're deployed even from ICBMs like this, this stuff just gets increasingly technical as you dive deeper and deeper into it. And that training operation got pushed to the right because of the nine to eleven attacks and eventually just went away, got taken off the board because the guys were so busy, you know, fighting in actual war.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Do you think that the capability over the twenty years of the g WATT kind of have eroded on that side or no? Do you think they still trained pretty hard?
Speaker 1: Is? I think they trained pretty hard for this one. This this is the you know, all the terms you want to throw out, the No Fail mission, you know, the National Command Authority, you know, it's actually it's known as the zero four hundred mission, the counter WND mission, as opposed to the zero three hundred the counter terrorism mission. I think they train extensively for this, not just the operators, but all of the enablers, all these other guys I've been mentioning DITRA Technical Escort Unit and so on. I think it's taken quite seriously. And the Special Forces commanders and Extremist forces also had this mission and a component of this mission. And even though the SITH no longer exists, those companies in Special Forces I think continue in Special Forces does have a counter proliferation mission, so I think they continue along these lines. But it's like everyone kind of has a hand in it, you know, the Seals, the rangers and so on.
Speaker 3: All. The interesting one is after nine to eleven and when we went into Afghanistan and smoked the Taliban, Pakistan got so fucking uh so like paranoid that we were gonna come in and snatch their nuclear weapons. They started putting them on like trucks and stuff, making them mobile to make it as hard as possible for us to come in and like interdict and that stuff.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So a funny story about that. There's a picture of that that I put in the article. And the picture is something I found on the internet. It's not something that was like provided to me, so other people have seen it for sure. And the picture depicts what appears to be a movie tractor trailer, a non standard you know, non military helicopter dropping what appears to be for operators and helmets and plate carriers on top of this tracking.
Speaker 3: And like jeans too. They're wearing like jeans and shit, yeah, with.
Speaker 1: A huge saw, you know, for sawing through the top of the vehicle. And I was looking at that picture for a long time trying to figure out, like, what the hell are they training for here? And I remember I woke up one morning and I must have been having dreams or something, and it occurred to me. I was like, hey, wait a second, and I went and found it. And there was an article in The Atlantic written years ago about how the Pakistanis were so afraid of the United States coming in and stealing their nuclear weapons that they started loading them on the tractor trailers and driving them around the country to make them harder to intercept.
Speaker 2: And that article in the Atlantic.
Speaker 1: I'm sure was the United States government waking that information to try to tell the pakistanis.
Speaker 3: Like knock it off, like we're not going to do this.
Speaker 1: Well, well, more to the point, stop driving these vehicles all around your country in an unsecured, you know, relatively unsecured manner where something terrible could happen. Right, So, uh that's where that you know, when when I saw that picture, I was like, oh, okay, that's the scenario that they were training for.
Speaker 3: Yeah, insane, man. I'm just trying to think of like what the JSK guys, especially during the gy Man right, like the you know, brutal deployments training training for this mission as well. I mean, it's understandable why a lot of guys come back I kind of really burnt out, yes.
Speaker 1: But I've also had guys tell me that they found this particular mission set to be very professionally fulfilling and gratifying. Okay, that you know it's it's not it's not a hazy counterinsurgency mission. It's something very direct and something of immediate national importance.
Speaker 2: That you know, it's it's again.
Speaker 1: Unlikely that a terrorist organization would ever develop an actual nuclear bomb without a state sponsor. But you know, if you know, uh, you know, Russia lost control of a nuclear weapon. If you know, some terrorist organization did develop a chemical or biological weapon, which is a lot more plausible.
Speaker 2: This is a realistic scenario.
Speaker 1: That could actually happen, unfortunately, And I mean it's a good thing that we have all of these guys that are are ready to go and deal with it.
Speaker 3: Yeah. I could see it particularly being like a big worry, uh after the fall of Soviet Union, when all those Soviet republics were breaking up and stuff like that, and like they had nuclear weapons.
Speaker 1: And it's it's honestly, in my opinion, you know, take it for what it's worth. It's it's this is a low percentage sort of thing, like it's not likely to happen. We've never not, not with an nuclear We've never had this happen with ken bio. I guess we have, but we've never had an actual incident. You know that that these guys are training for that they would.
Speaker 3: Have to respond to God.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, thankfully.
Speaker 1: But if it did happen, the consequences are so dire. If somebody got one of these devices into a port in the United States or one of our allied countries, you know, in in South Korea or wherever else the results would be catastrophic.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Yeah, I mean because once it's out of the bag, like getting it into America in a port is probably relatively easy, right because we're not checking everything.
Speaker 1: Maritime is not and has never really been watched as carefully as like you know, commercial air. But since nine to eleven, there have been all kinds of efforts made on the detection side my federal law enforcement. There are some ways to spoof the machines, as I've learned, some of them are relatively simple. Yeah, but but they have made some tremendous progress. I think on that.
Speaker 3: I had a question. I lost it. Fuck, what are you working on now?
Speaker 1: For high there's I mean, there's a handful of stories that are that we're thinking about. I know, Sean is back to working on Willie Murkerson's story, and the next piece is about his actions in Sudan and with the when the this was in the eighties, when the Libyans were crawling all over Sudan and the c i A did some very very interesting stuff to get them out of there. And so that's that's, you know, probably the next piece this summer. Uh, there's also something with the Rangers that I'm going to look at that probably will go out this summer. And then there's some other like long, longer term things over the horizon that I probably shouldn't really get into yet.
Speaker 3: Okay, cool, I'm trying to remember the fucking question I have, but I can't. Anyway, I want people to do me a favor. I want them to go and check out the high Side. Obviously, that link is in description. And Jack is also a writer of novels. He's got a new novel out that came out in June, June ninth. Yeh, The Most Dangerous Man. That link is in the description as well. Oh my question is this? I just remembered for this whole like Isfahan ford Ow and Natan's like, you know, like gathering of intelligence. We didn't send like r RC guys. And that's how I remember it, because there's an r RC ranger in Jack's book. That's why I remember my question.
Speaker 2: No Interestingly, in the during the planning.
Speaker 1: For the Gaza hostage rescue, there was talk about sending r RC in to do that to get eyes on for the Jaysak mission. I haven't heard anything about that kind of thing in regards to Iran though.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean the facilities are pretty fucking deep into Iran, right, so it's gonna be pretty tricky to have an RRC guy. How do you infill them? Right? Like?
Speaker 2: I mean you could, like that is the risk worth the game?
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 2: I think if anyone were to do.
Speaker 1: That, you would probably have the Israelis using their proxy networks on the ground. And we have proxy networks on the ground too. Not as good as having a ranger, but you know, it's it's still something.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And we're heavily relying on Israeli humid right, I'm you know, you mentioned it in the article slightly that we are pretty much like not totally relying on them. Obviously we have like the geo stuff and the singing stuff, but I think from what I've read and what you've written in the article is like we're pretty heavily relying on Israeli intelligence as well.
Speaker 1: Definitely working in close cooperation with them.
Speaker 3: Yeah, all right, anything else, Jack, anything on your mind.
Speaker 1: It's always something on my mind. But today is just today. I'm just taking it easy. It's a birthday, boy, Yeah, it's my birthday. So yeah, I'm just chilling and The next episode of the Team House We're Gonna Do is with Wayne Barnes. I just finished his book. I believe the title is a Trader in the FBI, And it's this whole aspect of ident of how the FBI identified Robert Hanson as a trader that I've never heard of before that I knew nothing about. And the book was so good. It's like one of my favorite espionage books. Now wow, okay, Yeah, so we're we'll have Wayne on the show this Wednesday. People will see that episode later this week, I guess Friday, Saturday, Saturday. Yeah, so I'm really looking forward to that.
Speaker 3: It's we should probably make a compilation video like we did about roberts Ridge. Not roberts Ridge, but Red with Eric Red Wings, Red Wings, Yeah, with Eric O'Neill. And then we'll have Wayne on. And you know, we've had Jim Olsen too, that was talking about spies and stuff like that. So I feel like the compilation video for that. I'm excited about this one.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I love the counter and Tell stuff so much like my favorite ship.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you'll really like this one.
Speaker 3: Yeah, all right, listen, guys, Wish Jack a happy birthday. In the comments number one like and subscribe. Also, if you're listening on audio, you could subscribe their rated five stars as well. The High Side, which is Jack and Sean Naylor's news outlet that lakers. In the description, they literally write the stories that The New York Times, Washington Post and no one writes they have better sources than they do. They don't take They're not stenographers for the d D or intelligence agencies. They actually get you the story and The Most Dangerous Man, Jack's new novel. It's an awesome book. I read it. I actually read it one of the only three books I've read in my life. I read it like one of the first drafts too. Yeah, really good, cool story. Uh, tell me a little bit about The Most Dangerous Man because I think there's like a great pitch for it too, Like yeah.
Speaker 1: So the book, of course, is a modernized take on the classic short story The Most Dangerous Game, which was the first you know, uh, fictional work that dealt with the idea of man hunting man for sport, which is a premise that has been used over and over in this book. My book is about a R R C ranger who gets kidnapped in West Africa and is hunted for sport by a group of finance tech bros. And they're led by a South African safari guide who's a pretty hardcore customer customer. Yeah, yeah, And so the book is about them hunting this ranger for sport and how he turns the tables on them. I really had a lot of fun writing it. I'm halfway through writing the draft for the sequel and really appreciate everyone who's taking the time to read the book, review it on Amazon, all that good stuff.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's really good too. It's like a commentary on like life too, what's going on now, like society now. It's very funny, like the stuff with like the the billionaire people, like the billionaire tech guys and like their their they're like thought gurus, their thought leaders, the guys that they like really kind of you know, take really seriously. It's so fucking funny some parts, and it's awesome. Also, Like Jeremy Lopez, his own his one kryptonite is like hot chicks, that's his one kryptonite.
Speaker 1: I mean yeah, I mean he's a ranger, and I tried to make him an actual character.
Speaker 2: He's not some.
Speaker 1: Stoic operator guy, you know, ground branch guy out down on his luck, you know, dishonored and disgraced.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 1: Now this a young ranger guy who has a lot of personality.
Speaker 3: Nah. Yeah, it's an awesome book. Guys. Check it out. That links in the description. And if you have bought the book, review it on Amazon or wherever you bought it on the good Reads or wherever. Uh, that's important as well. Jack, I love you Happy birthday.
Speaker 2: Thanks Dee. Appreciate it, man.
Speaker 3: Y'all for the audience. He never says I love you back to me. I'm gonna get it from him one day, one day. One day, I drop I love you on you a lot, like in our chat.
Speaker 2: Ironically, Yeah I do.
Speaker 3: It is ironic. I like making men feel uncomfortable. I don't know why it's fun.
Speaker 1: Anyway, kicking champion over here.
Speaker 3: Thanks bro.
Speaker 1: Hey, guys, I want to take a moment to tell you about the Team House podcast newsletter. If you go and subscribe, it's totally free, and what it will do is aggregate all of our data, all of our content that we put out, the things that are on the Teamhouse on our geopolitics podcast, eyes on things that I write journalistically with Sean Naylor on the high side, anything else that we have going on, books, we recommend upcoming guests that we have coming on the show, and also you know, filtering in some fun stuff in there as well. If you go and check it out. We send it out just once a week. We don't want to spam you guys. It's just a kind of roll up of all of our content.
Speaker 2: On a weekly basis.
Speaker 5: You can find our newsletter at teamhouse podcast dot kit dot com slash join again. The website for that is teamhouse podcast dot kit dot com slash join so we hope to see you there.
Speaker 2: The link will be down the description