Speaker 1: A provincial state of emergency has been declared in British Columbia as a series of wildfires rage across western Canada, forcing thousands of people from their homes. The province's premier described it as a fast moving and threatening situation that seen homes and other buildings destroyed. The summer Land region is among the worst affected, with a fast moving fire there doubling in size since first breaking out on Friday, Officials the blaze remained out of control. Several Canadian provinces have battled blazes this year, fueled by hot, dry weather in densely forested areas. Ravi Palmer, British Columbia's Minister of Forests, outlined the scale of the.
Speaker 2: Fires without a doubt, we are facing some very significant challenges here in British Columbia. We have over one hundred after fires, and yesterday evening we had a new fire start, as you noted, just outside of Summerland, British Columbia, or fifteen kilometers away from the town. And what we saw was something that we've never seen in British Columbia, and that is the intensity of this fire. When I was briefed by my officials they described it as a bomb going off, and what we saw was a fire that we tried to attack initially grow from fifty hectors to about one thousand hectares in just under an hour. Challenging circumstances indeed, and other.
Speaker 1: Particular communities that you're concerned for.
Speaker 2: You know, the southern half of the province is extremely dry. There are very hot conditions right now, and without a doubt, with all of those combined with the impacts of climate change as well as wind gusts and potentially even dry lightning in the forecast, it makes it very challenging, in particular in our wildland urban interface areas, which is what we saw yesterday where we saw a fire began in the forest and quickly impact community. That led to an evacuation of over fifteen thousand residents of summer Land, British Columbia and the surrounding region.
Speaker 1: And there's a state of emergency in place. Now, what does that unlock in terms of resources, That's a great.
Speaker 2: Question, provincials. Dative Emergency provides the Government of British Columbia with extraordinary powers to be able to put travel restrictions in place into areas like summerline British Columbia, the ability to be able to procure more resources in the form of property to be able to fight fires, and also placement of evacuees, given that we have now about twenty thousand British Columbians that have been placed outside of their communities because of the impacts of fires. Again, it is extraordinary powers for an extraordinary challenging situation here in British Columbia.
Speaker 1: And you're the in charge of the forest. What have you been doing to prepare for these kind of risks and to try and mitigate the future risks?
Speaker 2: Well, it's a challenging situation here in British Columbia. I am immensely proud of our BC Wildfare Service. We are a world class organization. Over the course of the last number of years, we have grown this organization, doubled its size and naturally taken it from a seasonal based organization into a full year round operation. We know, given the challenges of climate change, we're needing to adapt. Every single year we're doing more welfare mitigation work, cultural burns, prescribe burns, and a whole host of other measures to able to deal with the challenges In many cases, Lauren, most of the fires that occur here in British Columbia are maintained within ten hectors. But what we saw with this fire in particular was something we've never seen before, and it's a new dilemma that we're dealing with here in British Columbia, and I know my colleagues are dealing with down south in the United States as well.
Speaker 1: Can you tell us what the causes normally are for fires. I mean, in Europe we've seen people arrested and the suggestion that people have been setting the fires is that the case in Canada, or they're generally accidental.
Speaker 2: Well, this fire is still under investigation, but what we typically experience in the case of British Columbia most fire seasons is well over majority of our fires are occurred by dry lightning strikes in many parts of the province, and then we do have a proportion that are human caused. But I think it's really important to note that human caused. It's not just someone flicking a cigarette, but could be someone driving an ATV in the back roads of British Columbia or a whole host of other things. It's a very wide ranging category. But answer your question, the majority of fires that occur in British Columbia are actually occurring by lightning strikes.
Speaker 1: So why the fire is spreading so rapidly. Mathur Bobone is co director of the Center for Wildfire co Existence at the University of British Columbia.
Speaker 3: There's a combination of things that allow a fire to grow the way that we've been seeing in the last few days. Part of it is really just very dry and abundant fuels and so that's dead to breed on the forest floor, and plants and trees live plants and trees very hot, dry conditions with low humidity and strong winds. And then in some cases, you know, there's terrain that can kind of amplify fire spread when it starts, and so what happens is it allows these fires to really quickly transition from a surface fire to a crown fire where it's actually moving through you know, the crowns of the trees. In an extreme cases like we in summerline, these these fires can actually start generating their own weather where they're generating winds and in cases you know, throwing embers and debris kilometers ahead of the actual flames, which allows these fires to spread really quickly and aggressively, and at that and at that point, you know, it's very likely that they're going to exceed the ability of fire suppression organizations to actually contain them.