Speaker 1: So this is a super rad song. And this is the whole Damon Alburn project, The Gorillas. Do you guys know the rapper on this song?
Speaker 2: No, but I love that rap so much, The Homo Sapien, Right, Dell del the Funky Homo Sapien. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Have you ever heard mining Ben's Dell the Funky Homo Sapien story?
Speaker 2: Oh no, did you find out that he was Dell the Funky Homosexual?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 2: No, no, that would have been Delp though. Right, that's a pretty good rap name. If you're gonna try to break into the game.
Speaker 1: I want to not. I don't think Dell would care. Nah, he's cool because this happened when he was nineteen. Yeah, he was on tour Statute too. Yeah, he was on tour with his older cousin Ice Cube. Oh wow, and the band Black Sheet. Do you guys know the song? You could get with this? So you can get with that. That's okay, that's Black Sheet okay. And they had a real huge record in like ninety one or whenever this was now, this was at the legendary concert hall in Oak Cliff that I think is now a home depot, but at the time it was called Bronco Bowl.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I need to come back.
Speaker 1: And I'm telling you, man, I saw some bad ass shoes at the Bronco Bowl. Everyone has now. Me and Ben like to consider ourselves men of the people. So if you're out and about, we would love to drink a beer with you and talk. So part of this story I'm gonna leave off air, okay, but I encourage you if you ever see me and Ben out, to ask the reason this happened. But Ben and I and our friend Alvarez, and I think bl was there. You guys know bl We're in the crowd at the Bronco Bowl. Dell had just released his debut album called I Wish My Brother George was here, but he was not near as big, if big at all, as Ice Cube and Black Sheep. Everyone was there to see them. Yeah, so Dell is able to walk around in the crowd at the Bronco Bowl. Okay, So he comes walking. I'm like, oh my cause I loved his first record, like I was way into it, and I.
Speaker 2: Was like, oh my god, it's Dell.
Speaker 1: You're dude. You're like walking around. He's like, hey, yeah, he's just kind of a little dude. And so he just kind of stood there talking to us for a little while, and then at one point he goes, y'all are white boys? Do you know where I could get blank? And we're like, well, actually, Alvarez is next door neighbor sells that.
Speaker 2: I thought you're gonna say some p.
Speaker 1: Maybe it was tells it he made he was a pip and so was.
Speaker 3: Looking for some video games. Now I get some good video games around here.
Speaker 1: If you guys have listened to the Benning's Gen Show for a long time. We lived in Richardson and Alvarez lived across the street from Huffin's Rec Center. So you're talking Plano Road, and like, I think that was Apollo Road. So Dell said, oh really, all right, we're in. I'm gonna get my boy. We'll meet you guys in a second.
Speaker 2: No leave what is now the home depot.
Speaker 1: We left oak Cliffe, We left the Bronco Ball. We didn't see ice Cube that night. Now I'd seen ice Cube other times. We drove to Richardson to get what Dell was interested in acquiring, and then we drove back after we had acquired whatever we had acquired, and we put on our demo tape. Oh boy, after his mood had been changed, and his boy who was with him, who later ended up being in a group called Souls of Mischief who had a big rap song called ninety three till Infinity. You guys have probably heard it. He started speaking for the first time after the long drive to Richardson and the long drive back because they were loving it. But I think they were loving it because of how they were feeling. Yeah, we drove them all the way back to Cliff and all of the tour was waiting for us by the tour bus because Dell had held up the tour bus for wherever they were going Houston or wherever they were headed next. And he got out of our car and walked off into the night and we never saw him again.
Speaker 2: I mean, back then, you're not exchanging cell phone numbers.
Speaker 1: You are not.
Speaker 2: But he left with our demo tape. You're not thinking, oh, let me take a picture because you didn't want to have a camera.
Speaker 1: No, this would have been, honestly, like ninety one or ninety two.
Speaker 2: And all we have is those memories of you guys to relay this story that is a badass story. But see, sometimes you drink a little bit or whatever. So those memories get cloudy and fuzzy, and that's why the pictures and stuff coming handy. People smoke, you know, yeah, you know some people smoke.
Speaker 1: I I funny memory. I mean, there's so many things I like about that story. But my favorite part is, Yell, are white boys maybe in your car driving around? So we had to take two cars.
Speaker 3: That's amazing.
Speaker 2: So we'll take you to our Hispanic friend's house. Alvarez, Argentinian, Argentine whatever. I tried, but uh, but yeah.
Speaker 1: That all happened. And uh and I'd like to think that maybe I not me personally, but all of us changed Dell's creative path.
Speaker 2: And then he was you know, how did he end up doing stuff with the Gorillas? Because I mean, I mean, which are Clint Easwood right there? But yeah, he's on feel Good Inc. Yeah, their biggest hit, No Dela Soula is on Field. Okay, I'm sorry, yea, yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So one of the things that they the Gorillas do is they just work with different rappers and different artists and stuff. Dell was a Bay Area rapper and he was as he got more creative, he got a little more psychedelic and got a little more out there, you know. And so he definitely became and he became an indie darling like he was wasn't a big rap star, but he was part of this whole scene called the Hieroglyphics, and it was all Bay Area rappers that kind of had their own sound that wasn't like a hard funk thing. It was more kind of trippy and jazzy and psyche. And so he kind of became a honestly like he kind of became a favorite of like the white boy skateboard rap crowd or sometimes they were called backpack rappers, you know, Bay Area. Yeah, yeah uh, And so it would totally make sense that. And he also had done some stuff. I think he did some stuff with a handsome boy modeling school. Do you gotta know that is no? Do you guys know the TV show Get a Life?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 1: You guys know Chris Elliott, Yes, Chris Elliott who you probably would know Christina from something about Mary.
Speaker 2: You know, he was in Ship's Creek too.
Speaker 3: Okay, the real quick you'll continue.
Speaker 1: Chris Elliott got to start his dad was a famous comedian, but he got to start on the David Letterman Show, playing weird sidebar here his sister.
Speaker 2: Is Carmie's Uh his sister in real life is Carmei's sister.
Speaker 3: On the absolutely he's also in a scary movie right with.
Speaker 2: A little Everything in the nineties. Yeah, and I actually think Carmei's his daughter. Oh, I bet that is Abbey. I bet that is his Abby is his daughter?
Speaker 1: Yeah, which crazy because she was on SNL in the two thousands. And dude, when I had a shaved head and a beard, people told me all the time that I looked exactly like Chris Elliott, like all the time, uh so much so it scarred me.
Speaker 2: Get this, I don't that Steve Higgins, who is the guy who is Jimmy Fallon's hype man. Okay, yeah, and he's Lauren right hand? Is Abby Elliott's uncle? Is that right? And and what should mean Chris Elliott's brother in law. Yeah, Chris Elliot's brother in law. And Steve Higgins one of his kids is one of the guys and please don't destroy Yeah, so that connections are Chris Elliot's dad.
Speaker 1: I think his name is Bob Elliott. He was part of a comedy duo called Bob and Ray, but he was actually on The show Get a Life and Get a Life was on Fox in the early days when Fox was first launching, and it's not a great show, but I loved it because I love Chris Elliott and he's basically like a grown man living at home and he's a paper boy, and so at one point he wants to he does an ad in the back of a magazine to Joy that joined the Handsome Boy Modeling School and pays money and goes to the school and then feels exploited. I mean, dude, it's the dumbest thing. It's like, I think you should leave dumb. But it was on network television, and so when Prince Paul of Daylas Soul of fame started Handsome Boy Modeling School, he took it from that dumb TV show Get a Life, and so they'd have a bunch of samples from it, and Dell was on that and blah blah blah. That's how all this long thing goes. But yeah, so whenever we play the Gorillas and I hear Dell the funky Homo Sapien, I'm transported back to ninety one one ninety two of the Ronca Ball when he got in our car and oak Cliff and drove to Richardson And it also reminds me of the intro.
Speaker 2: T time boys. Right now, you're ready, ready's right right, ready to do one.
Speaker 5: Time quit epan within, I'll show you're gone ruling it except a simmer sweet pursuing it. Donld out shaw shank through the sewer, kid, Now what chill in at the eagle. Yeah, we're doing it. Three o'clock on the dock. Got a habit for my house of gold status. Howard starting to get craddic, shows that up multiplied like a rabbit tuned.
Speaker 1: End zone out, prink it up, beat the habit.
Speaker 3: I'm on anything out with my friend locking it on the radio.
Speaker 2: My home boys in talking on the radio. It's time to to this walk. Oh baby, baby, go at Christine up see all the radio.
Speaker 1: All right, it's a Friday afternoon and we have something brand new right now. It's time for.
Speaker 4: This world news, world news, world news.
Speaker 1: Okay, I have some stories.
Speaker 2: I have a couple of stories from the world I've been holding on to all week and I wanted to get to Okay, s gooverning Spain. Jouking Garcia is his name. Uh. He decided to stop going to work six years ago. It's a toxic workplace. It's like, I'm not going to work anymore, but somehow they did not notice. So he's there. I took a paycheck without going to work for six years until the company even though they didn't realize that he doesn't work there anymore. But he didn't formally quit. He just stopped showing up.
Speaker 1: Uh huh. But this is very office space.
Speaker 3: It's amazing.
Speaker 6: He was due to receive an award for his twenty years job and they're like, wait, where's he at now. He was an engineer overseeing a wastewater treatment plant and he was in charge of two departments, and he quit showing up and they kept giving him money.
Speaker 1: God, this totally six years. This totally justifies all We've got to trim the fat. It really does.
Speaker 2: You know, now, this job was he was getting just thirty thousand a year pay, but the entire time to just not go to work because one day's like I've had enough.
Speaker 1: I wonder if he got his second job and just supplemented his income with the stipend from the wastewater management company.
Speaker 3: Maybe did you see the fallow up to that?
Speaker 2: By the way, I've not seen the Foh.
Speaker 3: They took him to court obviously, because he was, you know, getting paid for six years for not doing anything. He only had to pay back a year's worth of gallery just one year.
Speaker 2: Now. It said he quit because like the toxic environment. Is that because they weren't treating the water very well? Oh, let's think about that. And there's a my first story of World News, World News, World News.
Speaker 1: Did you work with the meters on that? Intro?
Speaker 2: World News? There's this guy in Peru. He's a fisherman and he was at sea for ninety four days just drifting. And guess what he was surviving on his urine? Nope?
Speaker 1: Uh oh, bear grills is urine?
Speaker 2: No, turtles and cockroaches.
Speaker 3: Wait, cockroaches in the.
Speaker 2: Ocean somehow very weird. He was drifting at sea, he saying, I don't know the story, said Peru guy.
Speaker 3: How many? Oh I can't.
Speaker 1: Maybe he had a bag of cockroaches and turtles with him. Yeah, maybe, but turtles, turtles, turtle meat is good eating?
Speaker 2: Is that the people do.
Speaker 3: Said it so matter of factly. You have to cook them, right, at least cook the.
Speaker 2: Turtle before you're just eating it, you know, where you start. It's like sushi turtle meat if you put a little soy sauce on it. I'm telling you yeah.
Speaker 1: All right, God, we're off to a really good start. I love that it. Can I hear the intro again, Kevin Ye? All right? Coming up next, we have insider trading from the world of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. Secrets revealed. You're gonna want to hear this next on The Ben and Skin Show.