Speaker 1: You're listening to KFI AM six forty wake Up Call with me Amy King on demand on the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 2: KFI and KOST HD two Los Angeles, Orange County.
Speaker 3: It's time for your morning wake up call. Here's Amy King.
Speaker 1: It is fun, fuck straight up. Good Wednesday morning to you.
Speaker 4: I'm Amy King.
Speaker 1: March fifth, twenty twenty five. In case you forgot what year it was. Thanks for starting your day with us. I hope you had a RESTful evening. I stayed up a little later than normal, but I go to bed stupid early, but a little later to the normal because of the longest speech ever. I'm sort of a junkie about these things. I love watching politicians blo VI eight. It's just amazing, and it's both sides of the aisle. They just they talk and do they really say stuff. And I handles in the other room right now and I hear him talking about it, and he was like, he's just making stuff up. I'm like, Trump's like an absolutist. He just says it's the greatest ever, it's the worst ever. I mean, he's an absolutist. There's no middle ground with this guy. But you know he does know how to entertain. I mean I was sitting there watching it, going, Yep, he's he's a showman.
Speaker 4: He puts on a show.
Speaker 1: He announced that a kid whose late father was an la keunty sheriff's deputy was just accepted to West Point.
Speaker 4: During the speech, there were a lot of little moments like that. Yeah, he made it.
Speaker 1: That adorable young man, the thirteen year old who's survived brain cancer is now officially a Secret Service agent. I mean, and had the Secret Service director come and give him his badge. Or in the rowdy congressman, we had that too, Al Green got kicked out. Yeah, and you know what, one of my first takeaways at the very beginning of it was, for.
Speaker 4: Goodness sake, JD.
Speaker 1: Vance, button your suit coat. He's standing up there waiting for the president to come in and he just looks a little bit sloppy.
Speaker 4: Shovel to JD. Come on. Of course.
Speaker 1: The other big news still watching the new Eagles. We have chick number one and chick number two. They don't have names yet. There's gonna be a naming contest. Shannon Farren asked me about that yesterday. She's like, how do they name them?
Speaker 4: Well, they have a contest, but it's too early.
Speaker 2: Football one and Fuzzball too.
Speaker 1: Fuzzball one, Fuzzball too. They're adorable. You can watch them. KFI AM six forty dot com slash big Bear. I know we're all obsessed with it.
Speaker 4: Love it. Here's what's ahead on wake up Call.
Speaker 1: Of course, President Trump has wowed half the crowd, the Republican side of the crowd in his first address to a joint session of Congress. During his current turn, he said he has launched the most sweeping border crackdown in American history, and the number of border crossings is at its lowest level ever. We're gonna dig deeper into that with kfi's White House correspondent John Decker. That's coming up in just a couple of minutes. The La City Council's rejected former fire chief Kristin Crowley's appeal of her firing by Mayor Karen Bass before the thirteen to two vote yesterday. Crowley refuted Bass's claims that she sent a thousand firefighters home right before the fires broke out. She said that one hundred fire engines, trucks and ambulance sat broken down because of limited funding, staffing, and resources. Ukraine's President Zelenski says his very public spat with President Trump at the White House was regrettable. In a post on X, he said he's ready to work under Trump's strong leadership to get a lasting piece and said none of us wants an endless war. We're going to be talking to ABC's Patrick reevil Moore about that before the top of the hour. We're also talking with rich de Muro. There's a new iPad, a new EV made by Sony and Honda. Interesting matchup. And there's also a new way to keep your private information from being splashed all over the Internet. And now that the Academy Award's over, I can go back to binge watching TV shows. If you haven't watched this one yet, you are missing out. I'm going to tell you about it at the bottom of the hour. You know, it's just like another day in paradise. Let's get started with some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four our newsroom. President Trump has praised the new administration. During his speech to a joint session of Congress, he called the last six weeks successful. In his address last night, trum Trump singled out changes made to the federal workforce and changes in the US military.
Speaker 5: Our country will be worked no longer.
Speaker 1: The President's speech got off to a rough start when Democrats grumbled at his comments and held up signs in disagreement. Texas Congressman Al Green was removed from the chamber for waving his cane and shouting at Trump. And evacuation warning has been issued for people in Sierra Madre as this storm moves in. This woman says she doesn't want to repeat of what happened during the last storm.
Speaker 6: Everything that came down from the mountain Twig's branches from the fire had clogged the canal and has started to overflow.
Speaker 1: The warning starts this morning and will be in effect through Friday morning. The impacted areas border the Angelus National Forest, and the La County Board of Supervisors is backing an Assembly bill that calls for a pause in mortgage payments for people affected by the wildfires who were having financial troubles. Assembly Bill two thirty eight, introduced by Pasadena Democratic Assemblyman John Arabadian, would allow borrowers affected by the fires in January to ask for a deferral of monthly mortgage payments fro up to three hundred and sixty days. During that time, borrowers would not be assessed late fees, penalties, or additional interest, and foreclosure proceedings would be prohibited. Let's say good morning now to kfi's White House correspondent John Decker, who was in the room last night. As I mentioned, President Trump wowed half the crowd in the chamber.
Speaker 7: Morning, John, Yeah, it was half the crowd. Good morning to you. Amy. That's typical. That's not atypical. That's typical in this divided time that we are in right now, and you have Democrats sitting on their hands, Republicans applauding wildly for a Republican president, and just the opposite when it's a Democratic president who's in the White House. So not a surprise there. I'm always surprised when they're disruptions during this speech, and we saw that last night. Representative Al Green, he's a Democratic congressman who represents a district in Houston, Texas. He was ultimately escorted out of the chamber for disrupting President Trump's speech last night. And then on substance, we heard the President double down on the policy that he's going forward with, and that's the trade tariff's policy and acknowledge that there could be some short term pain that Americans feel as a result of this trade tariff's policy.
Speaker 1: Okay, John, I want to go back to the sort of the division thing, because you know, I watched these things and I just think you all just need to grow up. I mean, and I get it, it happens. You're absolutely right. When it's a Democrat standing at the podium, the Republicans are very quiet, and when there's a Republican at the podium, the Democrats are very quiet. Although as you mentioned, there was a lot of especially early on, there was a lot of jeering and shouting that we could hear, and then it just was the signs being held up, which was like, I was like, it was so childish.
Speaker 7: Well, it is childish. And also it's important to remember you don't have to be there. If you don't like the president, you don't like his policies, you can skip the speech. And some Democrats did just that. They said, I'm not showing up to this address to a joint session of Congress, but if you're going to go, you know, I think it's important I do to be respectful. And that goes for when Joe Biden was in office and Marjorie Taylor Green shouted out things at him. I thought that was disrespectful. I thought what you saw last night also was disrespectful to President Trump.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and didn't it start like we used to be so well behaved, But I think it started. It was the first time I remember that happening. Was during a speech that President Obama gave and somebody yelled out, liar. That was the first time I remember that winning.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 7: I was a Republican congressman from South Carolina named Joe Wilson. He's still in Congress, and when the President was talking specifically about the Affordable Care Act and referencing it, Joe Wilson yelled out, you lie, which was shocking. I'd never seen that. And I've been in the chamber more times than Trump Vance and Speaker Johnson combined, and I had never seen anything like that before.
Speaker 4: Yeah. I wish that, Like I said, I wish they would just grow up. So you were in the.
Speaker 1: Room and got to be I would love to like what's the vibe of it? I mean, like we talked about, half of the room is in raucous applause. The other half is mad, what's it like in the room.
Speaker 7: Well, I think that for members there's an electricity associated with this speech. Members who've been there for many times and freshman members of the House and the Senate as well, just to be there to hear, you know, that announcement as mister Speaker, the President of the United States, and see the President go down that center aisle. You have members that are very excited about that, wanting to have a few words with the President, take a selfie something, grab his hand for a handshake. That has always been the case Democrat or a Republican, and that was the case last night. This was the first time President Trump was delivering this type of speech in five years since his first term in the White House. And you know, I think that as it relates to how he said it and what he said really ticked off a lot of the things that you would hear at a Trump campaign rally in terms of the policies that he is pursuing and will be for suing now that he's back in the White House.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I just like I said earlier, I'm just a junkie for these kinds of things. And I know that they always they single out and recognize certain people. But I think Trump had a different flare about it because he is such a showman, like for example, with the kid, adorable young man who has brain cancer and he is now a Secret Service agent. And I thought that that was sweet, you know. I mean, it was more than just acknowledging somebody. It was kind of taking it to the next level. And I think he did a good job with that.
Speaker 7: I do too. I do think those are nice moments. In some cases, they're memorable moments. I can think over the years when a president calls reference to someone who's done something special or someone deserving.
Speaker 3: Of a tribute.
Speaker 7: And to me, here's the thing that always troubles me. Amy I look over when the president's referencing some of those people that are great Americans in the first Lady's box, and you have to say they're great Americans. You know, whether you're a Republican and Democrat, independent, And I look over to the Democratic side of the House of Representatives and I see members not applauding a little boy who recovered from cancer. I mean, I don't get that. You know, It's just it's not a partisan thing. You can certainly applaud and it's not showing that you're supportive of President Trump. You're supportive of that little boy and the fight that he's been undergoing for so many years. So that's a head scratcher to me.
Speaker 3: Amy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and John Decker, You're gonna be talking with Bill Handle a little bit later, so I know you're going to dive even deeper into this during the Handle show.
Speaker 4: So thanks for sharing your experience.
Speaker 1: Like I said, I'm always fascinated by the way that politics plays out in front of our eyes and appreciate your insights.
Speaker 7: Thanks again, Thanks again, Amy, have a great day. Talk to you real soon.
Speaker 1: All right, let's get back to some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. Former la fire chief Kristin Crowley has lost her appeal to be reinstated.
Speaker 2: The city council voted down Crowley's appeal by a vote of thirteen to two, but the ousted chief did get the chance to speak her peace. She says Mayor Bass, who fired her last month, has spread misinformation about the circumstances surrounding her removal.
Speaker 8: I did not refuse to conduct an after action report, and let me be clear, this is a false accusation.
Speaker 2: Crowley says her department has been underfunded and understaffed, and that it would have been better for the city to partner with the state. In its after action report in downtown La Michael Monks KFI News.
Speaker 1: Target's CEO is warned that price increases could be coming in the next few days because of President Trump's tariffs son goods from Mexico. Brian Cornell told CNBC that Target relies heavily on Mexican produce during the winter. He said the twenty five percent tariffs may force Target to increase prices on things like avocados, bananas, and strawberries.
Speaker 4: I'm having a banana this morning. I didn't know we got bananas from Mexico.
Speaker 1: A divide yep, Nope, I didn't know that A divided Supreme Court has ruled in favor of San Francisco in a case involving the EPA's attempts to limit untreated sewage overflows. ABC Stephen Portnoy says the five to four decision curbs the EPA's efforts to control water pollution when heavy rains cause sewage systems to spill over.
Speaker 9: The city of San Francisco, which empties its discharge into the Pacific Ocean, argued the EPA exceeded its authority under the Clean Water Act. Conservative Justice Samuel Alito wrote the majority opinion ruling in the city's favor.
Speaker 1: Justice Amy Coney Barrett wrote the descent in which the court's three liberals joined. Israel has rejected the adoption of an Egyptian plan for the future of the Gaza Strip during an emergency summit. The plan is an alternative to the Trump administration's proposal for the mass displacement of Palestinians. Israel says the Arab leader's reconstruction plan for Gaza is entrenched in perspectives that are no longer relevant. Post October seventh, health officials in Texas have opened vaccination clinics to help stop a measle's outbreak from spreading further. As if yesterday, one hundred and fifty nine people were positive for the highly contagious illness. Twenty two were in the hospital. Last week, an unvaccinated child died from the flu. Houston Health Commissioner doctor David Purse says the suffering is not necessary since a vaccine has been available for decades.
Speaker 3: Up to twenty percent of people are ill are going to get sick enough that they require hospitalization.
Speaker 2: Well, the other eighty percent are going to still be really sick. High fever, body aches, feeling miserable in bed.
Speaker 1: Measles has an incubation period of twelve days to three weeks, meaning someone can have it long before symptoms show and they can infect others without knowing it. The La City Councils voted thirteen to two to not reinstate fired fire Chief Kristin Crowley to her position. The former chief says she will remain with the department in a different role. Wall Street has taken up pounding as tariffs against Mexico, Canada, and and China take effect. All three countries announced tariffs would be imposed on the US in response. At the closing bell, the Dow was down six hundred and seventy points yesterday. We're going to be finding out what we're expecting for today when we get in your business with Bloomberg's Courtney Donaho.
Speaker 4: That's coming up at five point forty.
Speaker 1: Lebron James has become the first player in NBA history to score fifty thousand combined points in the regular season and postseason. He hit the milestone with a three pointer in the opening minutes of last night's win against the New Orleans Pelicans. This is James's twenty second season with the NBA. Let's say good morning now to the host of rich On Tech KTLAS tech reporter Rich Jimmuro.
Speaker 3: Good morning, Rich, Hey, good morning to you. Amy.
Speaker 1: Okay, so we got some new things that we want to share. First of all, I'm I'm actually kind of jazzed about this one. New iPads from Apple, and I'm jazzed about it because you said there's more memory in it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So a couple of new iPads.
Speaker 10: We've got two, so the iPad AIR and then of course the iPad I call it the standard one. So with the iPad AIR, the main thing is that's the expensive one. It's not the pro. But they're getting a better chip, which means it has support for Apple Intelligence. Now, this one starts at six hundred dollars for the eleven inch model. Thirteen inch model is eight hundred twelve.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 10: No, this is for like, you know, people who want like a really high end iPad. I'll be honest, most of the people that are asking me about an iPad they want the other one, which is the eleventh generation, and this one has a pretty standard chip inside, so it's not going to support the Apple Intelligence. But it starts at three hundred and fifty dollars. And the cool thing about this one is that it now has double the storage at the same price. So if you bought this a couple of days ago, you'd pay three fifty for sixty four gigs. Now you pay three fifty for one hundred and twenty eight and you're getting a better processor.
Speaker 1: I'm amazed that the iPads that I've had had things like sixteen gigs and that kind of stuff. They just didn't have a lot of memory, when the phones have you know, a half a terabyte.
Speaker 10: Yeah, and here's the deal with the iPad. Nobody is actively like I mean, yes, people want an iPad, they go get one. But most of the time with the iPads, people aren't tracking the new models. They just go into the store when they need a new one. And by the way, these things last forever, so it's not like you're buying these things every couple of years. This might be a six year cycle on these things.
Speaker 1: Okay, all right, so here's something else that's new. Sony and Honda have teamed up.
Speaker 3: Yeah, this is the Have you heard of this car, the afila Ev. I have never new?
Speaker 10: Okay, well it's their new joint venture. I mean Sony Entertainment, right, Honda definitely knows cars. So they have teamed up for this new afila Ev and it's on display at Westfield Century City, so they've got a little pop up shop there for the next six months. I headed over there to check it out. Now, I've seen this car kind of percolating at all the different tech events for the past, you know, a couple of years.
Speaker 3: But this is not a concept.
Speaker 10: This is actually going to be hitting California roads by twenty twenty six. So they're going to deliver these cars. And it's an it's expensive, it's ninety thousand dollars, but you know, it's very entertainment focused.
Speaker 3: Amy.
Speaker 10: It's got this giant screen inside, three screens inside, one huge screen across the whole dashboard, two screens in the back for the passengers, and every app you can imagine, so everything from like.
Speaker 3: Spotify to Audible to movie apps.
Speaker 10: I mean, your passengers can watch the same movie while you're driving, and they can play PlayStation. So your PlayStation at home works with this car.
Speaker 1: I'm always nervous about big screens in front of a driver's face.
Speaker 10: Good call, and I would one hundred percent understand that. But as you and I know, if you look around LA, every single driver is has their phone in front of them at every minute of the way, which, by the way, don't do that please.
Speaker 3: But this is safe.
Speaker 10: Yeah, this is safe because it's got polarizing glass. So it's got this neat feature on theshboard where when the car is in motion, all of a sudden, the screen polarizes, which means if you've ever looked at one of those privacy screens on an iPhone, from the angle, you can't see it.
Speaker 1: Oh that's cool. That's cool. And I'm looking at a picture of it right now. I think a lot of eds are not that cool looking. This one is pretty cool looking.
Speaker 10: I mean, look, this is two really nice companies that know their stuff and they came up with a really good looking car. I think it's expensive, so it's not gonna appeal to everyone, but three hundred miles on the charge deliveries next year in California, two hundred dollars refundable deposit. I mean, I really think this is a very nice looking car, and it's got a lot of fun features for the techi like myself. And it's got a lot of sensors, so talk about self driving down the line. This has got forty sensors in it, so it's gonna be able to do a lot on its own. Let's put it that way.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and the steering wheel looks like a what do you call it in an airplane?
Speaker 4: An airplane throttle? You don't call it a sta.
Speaker 3: Like a yoke or whatever. Yeah, it's like the half steering wheel. It's like cut in half.
Speaker 4: Yeah. Okay.
Speaker 11: Here.
Speaker 10: So I didn't get to drive it because no one's driving it just yet, but I said, please get me on that list as soon as I can drive it.
Speaker 3: I want to see what this thing's like.
Speaker 1: Okay, yeah, then we'll talk to you once you get to drive it too, since you'll for sure be doing that before it's actually on the roads. Will Cole Schreiber heard you talking with Bill Handle about Google's new privacy tool and said, oh my god, my information's out there, So tell us how we get our information not out there?
Speaker 10: Yes, So go to google new feature if you search for your name and something like your phone number or address. You know, all those people finder sites come up. So look for the three dots next to the search result. You can tap that and now there's a new option that says remove result. And in a few clicks you say, I don't want this here, it's my personal information. Google takes a couple hours to review it. They will typically remove it. Doesn't remove it from the original website, but it does remove it from Google where ninety nine point nine percent of people are going to find this stuff full details on my website.
Speaker 3: Rich on tech dot TV. Do it? Do it? Do it? Get your digital footprint lessoned. It's very easy.
Speaker 4: Okay, I'm going to do that right after the show.
Speaker 1: It is KTLA's tech Guy and our tech guy too, the host of Rich on Tech every Saturday from eleven to two right here on KFI. You can watch them on KTLA. You can follow him on Instagram at rich on Tech, and of course all his tech info is on his website, rich on Tech dot TV.
Speaker 3: Thank you, Rich, Thank you, Amy.
Speaker 4: All right, talk to you next week.
Speaker 1: A woman in her forties has been fatally shot inside a car in Anaheim. Police say shots were reported last night on North Vine Street near La Palma Avenue and Northeast Street. It's not known if the woman was targeted or if it was a random shooting, and investigations underway after a fetus was found in a dumpster in northern California. It was found outside of business in Modesto on Monday, and autopsy is being performed to determine the gestational age of the remains. A person of interest has been identified and police are going to question that person. The Stanis Stanislaus Sheriff's Office has reminded residents that there are safe surrender options available for those who are not able to care for a newborn. Mexican consulates are telling immigrant families in California to be prepared. Consul General in San Jose Alejandra Bologna says many immigrant families are currently facing difficult conversations about what might happen to children if their parents get deported.
Speaker 12: People needs to be prepared because it's a reality and it could happen, so it's better to have a plan and to designate the person that they want to be in charged temporarily of their kids.
Speaker 1: She says she understands the fears families have due to recent immigration policies by President Trump. A human cannon ball stunt performer is expected to make a full recovery after he was shot out of a cannon, hit a safety net, and then bounced out of it onto the pavement. It happened at the Riverside County Fair and National Date Festival in Indio over the weekend. Elia Ramirez saw the Daredevil live performance go wrong.
Speaker 4: Andan God, he did make it to the nat atlast, you know, but we did see him bounce off and it.
Speaker 3: Was kind of scary.
Speaker 1: The cannon shoots the Daredevil sixty five feet into the air at a speed of fifty five miles per hour.
Speaker 4: No thank you.
Speaker 1: People who live in Sierra Madre have been warned they may have to leave their homes as another rainstorm moves into southern California. There are concerns of mud and debris flows from the eaten fire burn scar. An evacuation warning for residents near the border of the Angelus National Forest has been issued for six o'clock this morning through at least six Friday morning. Congressman Al Green had to be escorted out of the President's addressed to a joint session of Congress last night. He had repeatedly yelled at Trump that the president had no mandate to cut medicaid. President Trump has repeatedly promised he would not cut benefits to Medicaid, Medicare, or Social Security recipients. More than rain could be headed to southern California. The National Weather Services the storm could spawn tornadoes as the storm moves through, and the heaviest rain is expected tomorrow, with snow possible above thirty five hundred feet.
Speaker 4: It's six so five. It's handled. On the news.
Speaker 1: Apparently US aviation is no longer the gold standard.
Speaker 4: We'll tell you who's saying that.
Speaker 6: Amie's on it. Aami's on it.
Speaker 3: AMI's on it.
Speaker 6: Aami's on it?
Speaker 4: What am I?
Speaker 1: I'm on streaming and movies and documentary, sometimes even books, but mostly streaming shows. And I had to kind of take a break from streaming shows because it was Awards season and we had movies to watch.
Speaker 4: But now that that's over, I'm back to binging.
Speaker 1: I love a good binge, and now you can binge this show because the season finale just dropped yesterday.
Speaker 4: The show is called Paradise. It's on Hulu. There's only eight episodes, you.
Speaker 1: Know, so weird I started watching or I went back and watched an old show. Actually, Paradise kind of prompted me to watch an old show, which I'll tell you about later.
Speaker 4: But they used to.
Speaker 1: Do twenty two twenty three episodes in a season and now they're like eight episodes. But I'll tell you these eight episodes were action packed and fabulous. Paradise is like my favorite favorite show of the season on the drama suspense side. On comedy, it's definitely Man on the Inside. That's a Ted Danson show. If you haven't watched that, we talked about that. But anyway, so Paradise is about secret service agent Xavier Collins that stars Sterling K.
Speaker 4: Brown. Love him.
Speaker 1: He's on the presidential detail. His president is James Marsden. Character's name is cal Bradford. And then there's also on the show is Chris Marshall from For All Mankind. Love her Sarah Shahee or Shahizh, not sure how to pronounce her last name. She's a psychologist on the show. And then Julianne Nicholson plays Samantha. She's a tech billionaire who has the ear of the President and others and she is fantastic in this role. So it starts in an idyllic looking little city. The skies are blue, the streets are clean, people look happy, and it moves fast. So you got to pay attention because it turns pretty quickly that he goes something's wrong here, and within the first ten minutes of the show, when you have it on, you go, oh crap, like something big happens within the first ten minutes, and then towards the end of the first episode you see that there's a bigger oh my god moment like and through the series there are several of those, and I love that. I love when the writers can figure out a way to shock you and not like in a horror way, not in a scare way, but just like, oh my god, I didn't see that coming. I love when they do that. Like I said, it moves really fast. You've got to pay attention. People who appear to be good may not be. People who appear to be bad may not be, or maybe they are, you don't quite know. And it takes these winding twists and turns where you see the present and then they tell the story through flashbacks and there's a ton of them, and they start piecing things together, and again I love that when you go, oh, that's why that happened. Oh that's why that happened. So you get these revelations throughout the whole show, and the season finale does not disappoint. So many fun and frightening twists and turns. It's just surprise after surprise. And the music. The music is familiar and it's perfect and it's powerful. Especially Gosh, in the season finale, the music was so just perfect. That's an other word that I can think of, but it was really great.
Speaker 4: I think you like this show. I do.
Speaker 1: And the only thing that I have left to say is when a season two like I can't Wait, I can't wait. It's called Paradise, It's on Hulu. I'm on it, and you're gonna want to be on it too. Okay, time to get in your business with Courtney Donaho, who is with Bloomberg and Courtney? You know what, It has been so crazy today that I haven't even had a chance to look at your notes, But I'm going to say I'm guessing that we're going to start with Wall Street because we had a crappy day yesterday.
Speaker 6: Oh of course, and we are seeing a recovery this morning after two brutal days of trading. Good morning, and this report a sponsor by Fidelity Wealth Management. So Commerce Secretary Howard Latnik, he came on Bloomberg and he spoke to us and he said the President might give some relief on tariffs, and that decision is expected this afternoon. That's giving a bit of relief to investors. Stocks were looking at a higher open earlier. But we did get a report on employment leading up to the big government jobs report that's coming up on Friday. Everybody watches this, and this showed companies added seventy seven thousand jobs, but that was the smallest gain since July. It's making people worried on Wall Street about jobs. That's why we're seeing stock index future steady, their little change, but they're not lower. After that frantic day in the markets that we had yesterday, the volatile session where we finished with heavy losses, the Dow plunged six hundred and seventy points, and I want to put this all in perspective. The two day drop total more than thirteen hundred points. That is one big drop, and the S and P five hundred fell one point two percent. That brought the benchmark back to where it was before the election. So the rally that we saw after the election when it came to stocks, yeah.
Speaker 1: That's gone now, okay, and we'll see what happens next because we're hearing rumblings that there might be some compromises coming on the tariffs.
Speaker 6: So yes, And one thing that's important to point out and that we should keep in mind is the president usually uses the stock market as a report card, kind of like my middle schooler, but it means that he might take a second look at any policy because anything that rattles investors makes him worried. And during his first term, President Trump tweeted one hundred and fifty six explicit mentions of the stock market, so you know it is on his radar. And companies too, are starting to warn investors and consumers, and again he's hearing this. Target says that shoppers could see tariff driven price increases very quickly, especially with things like fresh produce, and right now, we always talk about the prices in the grocery store and how expensive it is. A best buy came out yesterday another retailer, saying that increases are highly likely on gadgets and appliances that it sells.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: And with Target, I think of like clothes and household supplies. But Best Buy that's like, you know, big TVs and washing machines and big ticket items.
Speaker 6: Yeah, but it's still too early to predict which items will get more expensive and when. But we have to think that anything that's going to come across in a shorter supply chain. Obviously talking about fruits and vegetables, we're going to see that first before we see it for other items.
Speaker 1: Okay, and then really quickly because we're talking about money and people are worried about it. Families are rethinking spring break.
Speaker 6: Yeah, they're choosing to stay home, unfortunately, but the kids are happy about that. Well, I think some of my my kids want to travel, but some kids they definitely want to stay home. And sentiment has started to shift with consumers weigh down by tariffs, inflation, and of course these federal job cuts that we hear about all the time. But rise and costs are pushing lower income consumers to delay their upcoming trips or figure out another way to get there. Forget about a plane, We're going to start driving instead. But the Wall Street Journal points out that wealthy folks continue to spend on international travel. They're going to a lot of far flung locations.
Speaker 4: Okay, well for me, it sounds like it's going to be a car trip.
Speaker 6: Yes for me too.
Speaker 1: Don't worry about that one. Courtney Donaho with Bloomberg. Thank you so much for get in your business every day at five point forty. We'll talk to you tomorrow, See you later, oh Kidoki. Former LA Fire Chief Christian Crowley needed ten votes from the council's fifteen members to be reinstated as chief. She only got two to support her at yesterday's La City Council meeting, and her appeal to be reinstated was rejected. La Mayor Bass fired Crowley for her response before and during the Palisades fire. A compromise on tariff's may be coming. Commerce Secretary Howard Lutnick says deals with Mexico and Canada could mean twenty five percent tariffs could be scaled back. He says the agreement could come as soon as today. The toxic algae illness that's making sea lions sick and malibu is spreading. The Marine Mammal Care Center says it has now reached as far south as Redondo Beach. The public is being warned to stay away from six Sea lions and to call wildlife officials if you see one. The number of six Sea lions is tripled over the last week. Let's say good morning now to ABC's Patrick Revel just back from Kiev. Patrick, following the dust up between Presidents Trump and Zelensky and the Oval, the US announced that it was pausing a to Ukraine, and it looks like that might have done the trick.
Speaker 11: Good morning.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 11: I mean, we've certainly seen an impact already from President Trump's order to freeze all US military aids Ukraine. In the President Zelenski has now expressed regret for what happened in the Oval office during that blow up between President Trump and Vice President jd Vance with Zelenski. But I think it's important to say, well, we're seeing a change in tone. In reality, the Ukrainian position hasn't changed, because the Ukrainian position has always been that they wanted ender this war, obviously because their country is being destroyed. But what they want is security guarantees from the US and from European countries. That means that the war cannot restart again. And I think that remained the Ukrainian position, but the tone is certainly one of repentant basically saying I apologize for what happened, and President Trump and Is addressed to Congress last night saying that he appreciated that from volodma Zelenski and suggesting that he believes a piece deal is possible. We've also seen something important, I think from European leaders basically say that they've been floating an idea of a one month temporary partial truce on a long range strikes from the air and the sea. There would basically basically be a confidence building measure towards trying to get to a longer term ceasefire. But there are big doubts whether that's possible. But I think on next is at the moment we are hearing that potentially British Prime Minister Kiss Starma and French President Emmanuel Macron could even come with Voladimirsky to DC next week and present some of their ideas for how to try and end the war. I think there are big, big questions that are in reality world Russians accept any of that, and do they actually even really want a real cease fire in the end.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so we know that Kiev is saying, or Zelenski is saying that they want the fighting to stop, but we really don't know the temp purture of Russia aside from what President Trump has said that he said Putin wants to stop too, but we don't really know that.
Speaker 11: I think what we know from the Russians is that they absolutely suffering. They have lost a huge number of troops, Their economy is definitely in trouble as well, and they're not making rapid advances on the battlefield, you know, that's suffering thousands of losses a week to try and move forward, usually just a few hundred meters. And so certainly they would like to try and gain what they've been seeking throughout this war, which is the subpordination of Ukraine through other means. So they're hoping they can achieve that through talks through President Trump. They believe that the Americans have swung dramatically round to their view of the conflict, and the President Trump essentially doesn't care that much about Ukraine but would like to have better relations with Russia. But at the moment, or from everything we hear from the Russians is they're still demanding the same maximalist demands that they were making at the beginning of the war, and so I think there are questions and whether that would be acceptable even to President Trump, but it certainly won't be acceptable to European allies. It won't be acceptable to the Ukrainian Ultimately, we keep fighting even if they were to have all USA permanently suspended.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, and Patrick, you were just in Kiev. I know you're in London now, but you just got back from Kiev. I'm curious since you were just there, what is it like there today three years into the war? I mean, is are people out and about? Is it business as usual or is it just like this war torn scarred surface.
Speaker 12: No.
Speaker 11: Look, I think it's a very interesting question, right. I think most people picture war zones as being just, you know, sort of World War two style ruined buildings everywhere. Kiev, because they succeeded in pushing the Russians away in the first months of the war, has been spared heavy fighting there, but it is bombed pretty much every night. And certainly one big change when we were there was that at night we would see dozens of drones attacking all across Ukraine be in particular also now Kiev, and we would see heavy air, the sense going up, you see trade, the fire and search lights. And basically that was a big change from six months ago where essentially you would see Russian strikes you know, once a month or so. In Kiev, life is relatively normal, but at night. Now where you have normal life in the city during the day, at night, you have something here that reminds people more of like the Blitz during World War Two. So I think we are seeing things getting worse there as Russia begins to produce more and more drones. And then certainly it depends where you are. If you're in the east of the country and it is nightmarish, you know, it's quite heavy bombing every day. It's very dangerous.
Speaker 1: ABC's Patrick REvil in London. Thank you so much for the information and the update. We appreciate it.
Speaker 11: Thank you.
Speaker 1: All right, let's get back to some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. LA County Public Works says it is closely monitoring a series of storms expected to bring light to moderate rain to the region through Friday. Officials say isolated debris and mudflows are possible in the burn areas and not just in Altadena and Pacific Palisades. They say residents are being encouraged to stay informed. Public Works is going to be doing storm patrols to monitor vulnerable communities and to make sure that flood control systems are in place. Former La Fire Chief Kristin Crowley's appeal to be reinstated has been soundly defeated at city Hall.
Speaker 2: Prior to the thirteen to two vote upholding Mayor Bass's decision to fire Crowley, the former chief spoke to the city Council. She says her department has been woefully underfunded and undermanned for years.
Speaker 8: Lack of long term investments in the LAFD. Budget cuts have led to increased response times, lack of available fire engines, trucks and ambulances.
Speaker 2: Bass fired Crowley for what the mayor says, we're deficiencies and the response and preparation for the Palisades fire. Crowley would have needed the support of ten council members to reverse the Mayor's decision. In downtown La, Michael Monks KFI News.
Speaker 1: Homeless man has been sentenced to more than four years in prison for punching an Asian woman in the head as she walked to work in Culver City.
Speaker 4: The assault happened in twenty twenty one.
Speaker 5: Jesse Allen Lindsay asked the woman for a cigarette or a lighter, then when she said she didn't smoke, Lindsay punched her in the head, knocking her to the street, and stood yelling racial slurs at the woman.
Speaker 1: Kay if i's Jim Rup says the guy pleaded guilty in December to a hate crime, which could have gotten him ten years in prison. Congress has until a week from Friday to avert a government shutdown. ABC's j O'Brien says the short timeline means Speaker Mike Johnson might have to turn to Democrats for help.
Speaker 2: I've pressed Democrats, would they really be willing to support a government shutdown to protest Elon Musk, Doge and Trump's backing of those efforts.
Speaker 4: None of them have said yes to that. He says.
Speaker 1: Democrats aren't just going to give their votes to Republicans for the mere idea of averting a shutdown. Catholics around the world are marking the beginning of Lent quite literally. It's ash Wednesday, and a lot of them are going to church to have a priest smear ash crosses on their foreheads. The ashes symbolize morning and penance the first.
Speaker 4: Day of Lents.
Speaker 1: Also when Catholics give something up, it's supposed to be one of their favorite things for the next forty days. This is KFI and KOST HD two Los Angeles, Orange County, Southland. Weather from KFI. Clouds with a slight chance of some rain this morning and then rain likely this Afternoons will be around sixty at the beaches Metro La and inland O c fifties for the valleys in i e forties and fifties in the Anaelope Valley. Showers continue tonight, then rain off and on Tomorrow, with the chance of thunderstorms and snow's possible above thirty five hundred feet. It'll become sunny again Friday and stay mostly sunny through the weekend. It's forty eight in Anaheim, fifty two Redondo Beach, forty four in Palmdale, fifty one in Inglewood.
Speaker 4: We lead local live from the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. I'm Amy King.
Speaker 1: This has been your wake up call, and if you missed any wake up call, you can listen anytime on the iHeartRadio app. You've been listening to Wake Up Call with me Amy King. You can always hear Wakeup Call five to six am Monday through Friday on kf I Am six forty, and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio app.