Speaker 1: You're listening to Bill Handle on demand from KFI AM six.
Speaker 2: Forty NAACP President Derek Johnson said, our mission is to advance civil rights, and the current president has made clear that his mission is to eliminate civil rights.
Speaker 3: I always thought he'd liked college football. I guess not. That's the NCAA, NCAA ANDACP. It's all the same.
Speaker 1: No, no it's not.
Speaker 3: And now Handle on the news, ladies and gentlemen. Here's Bill Handle. Good morning everybody. It is now a Wednesday, home day, June eighteenth, and we're we're into another day. Let me see what's going on today got a lot different than yesterday. Yesterday we had that really neat interview with Colonel Haig, which is kind of neat. I spent all of his time, most of my time talking to his kid, fourteen year old Asher, who was bored beyond belief. He was bored stiff.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he just started his summer vacation and they're like, here, let's go and do talks around the country.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Yeah. And then they went to the Dodger game last night. Who won?
Speaker 2: Instantly, The Dodgers won eight to six, and Colonel Haig threw an absolutely perfect.
Speaker 4: First ceremonial pitch. It was it was like spot on, he did such a great.
Speaker 3: Job and did show he o, Tony? Did he play?
Speaker 4: He did? And he got hit?
Speaker 3: Who he got hit by a ball? About huh a bird?
Speaker 4: Yeah, there was.
Speaker 2: It was a little uh testy apparently last night because first a Dodger pitcher hit a Padres player and then shoe Hag got hit in the leg.
Speaker 4: Like the next inning they almost went to blows.
Speaker 3: Oh god, that would have been terrific. Oh that would have great.
Speaker 4: He see the bench clearing brawls that often anymore.
Speaker 3: No, there's a good stuff, great stuff. All right. Let me say hello, Amy, good morning, Well, good morning, Bill, good morning to you. And there is the lovely Neil. Good morning, Neil Cooper. Yo, there you go, Cono, good morning.
Speaker 1: Good morning.
Speaker 3: Will you're the button down shirt this morning, Will. Well, after an astronaut came here, this place is legit.
Speaker 1: No, it's not.
Speaker 3: Now, Why why would you say that? He's yeah, yeah, the day afterwards. And Anne is not here today. Michelle is filling in for Ann. Good morning, good morning.
Speaker 4: She was at the game last night.
Speaker 3: Oh that's why she's not coming in this morning.
Speaker 4: Well, yeah, and her birthday's coming up.
Speaker 3: So I've always wondered about people who take there. I've never taken a day off on my birthday. Then how about people who take the week off for their birthday and this celebrate their birthday week?
Speaker 5: Come on, guys, I'll people take time off because friends and family are celebrating their birthday with them. You don't take time I've never nobody celebrating your birth at all.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: The only time I ever took off a birthday was when I received my circumcision, and I took off a few days only to heal, and that was it. It was a rough time. By the way, I just thought I mentioned that.
Speaker 1: Put a little piece of toilet paper on the.
Speaker 3: No, no they did not, but that thank you for the thought. Or we're gonna get graphic here.
Speaker 1: I'm just saying, it didn't seem like it's that big, you know.
Speaker 3: Now it's and it used to be that the oil used to actually do the cutting, and now it's like a device, a cigar cutter thing. It really is. It looks like that, and it's really interesting that's that they call that a brisk kit. Okay, it's probably.
Speaker 1: That's funny.
Speaker 5: That's actually the only joke I think you've said that I haven't heard before.
Speaker 3: Wow, okay, all right.
Speaker 1: Fair enough, I think we should end the show.
Speaker 3: That's it.
Speaker 1: Huh?
Speaker 3: That was lyne azure. All right, guys, No, it doesn't. I hate it when you have a good over, when Neil has a great line two minutes in and then it goes downhill after that.
Speaker 1: Nory.
Speaker 3: Guys, are you ready to do it? It is the Kno. Did I say good morning to you? I think I did?
Speaker 1: Know you did it?
Speaker 3: Okay, good morning, Carno. Okay, there we go. I think I got everybody here and we're ready to go. It's time for handle on the news with Amy, Neil and me lead. Sorry John and you. Well, in light of what's going on, the Trump administration has doubled down activating an additional two thousand National Guard troops to LA and the Defense Secretary Peethe hexet and this is what all of these cases are about. Directed. The activation under Title ten allows the president to call in the National Guard into federal service when the country is under invasion or rebellion to protect federal functions, personnel, property in LA or in the LA area, or any area and then the question becomes, and here's what the courts are dealing with right now. Were these protests in open rebellion of the US government or were they just protests of what's going on? Is this an invasion like the migrant invasion? An invasion pursuant to law, and the of course lawsuits have been filed, and what the president is doing is arguing or the Attorney general is arguing that the president and decides what is a rebellion or invasion, and the courts have no ability to review that. And even a Trump appointee on the Appeals Court said, wait a minute, does that mean if the president declares a rebellion in Los Angeles, he can activate troops and all the National Guard in all fifty states. And the attorney for the government said, yep, sure can. It's the government's call. So I'll give you much. I'll give you more about that at seven am. Oh, it's what a lawsuit this is. It's really interesting. And this is, as I've said, this is an administration that is pushing the boundaries of presidential power unlike any other administration, arguing that presidential power is all encompassing and in certain areas it is the president who makes the determination under all circumstances, arguing total immunity, for example, which he has before, which a court gave it to him. By the way, yep, if you remember the immunity cases, the court said, anything he does in the national scope in furtherance of his job, he is totally immune for prosecution under any circumstances. Even how about ordering the assassination of someone. The administration said, you bet he can. If it's that's not.
Speaker 1: Just for him, that would be for any president.
Speaker 3: No, yeah, well, of course, yeah, it would be. It's not just No, it doesn't say Donald Trump is the only one allowed to do that. It is the president's power and it is and based on what he says. And by the way, he's only following history. The Congress has given more and more and more power to the presidency than has ever been had before. And this is historical over the last fifty years, and the courts have upheld it. So this is not being done in a vacuum.
Speaker 2: Ahead and go out, but be good. Mayor Bass has lifted the downtown La curfew. It's been in place overnights for a week, she said yesterday afternoon, and announcing that the curfew was being canceled, that the curfew, along with ongoing crime prevention efforts, have been largely successful in protecting stores, restaurants, businesses and communities. But she says, if you don't behave she can put the curfews back in place.
Speaker 3: All right, Okay, yeah, she has no credibility with me at all. I'm just not a fan too. Yeah, not a fan. Ohanelle Gibson has credibility with me.
Speaker 5: You know, this guy has crazy face twenty four to seven. Now, I don't know what it is, but he looks nuts every time.
Speaker 1: I see him. Actor and director Mel Gibson.
Speaker 5: Lamb basted California Governor Devin Newsom and LA Mayor Karen Bass on Monday. He said, you know, to all of us here in Los Angeles, we need to oust the incompetent leaders. I agree with him, but he still has crazy face, so he.
Speaker 3: Says, and by the way he said it in Latin, you know that, No, he.
Speaker 5: Can't ele Purre Karen Basreeah.
Speaker 3: I just go for those people that don't want on are for referring to He's a fundamental, fundamental Catholic who still has the mass. He has his own chirts, and he's funded where the mass is done in Latin where I mean it's really really conservative stuff, so Malibu or something, or yeah, I think it is. He's insane.
Speaker 1: I know people who have gone.
Speaker 5: But anyway, so he you know, went on that saying that the civil unrest and all of that, you can't it's hard to disagree with him on that. However, he still has crazy face.
Speaker 4: The protests so nice, they're going to do it twice.
Speaker 2: Organizers for last weekends No King's Protests say it was huge, one of the the largest mass mass demonstrations in US history, So they're going to plan another one. Transformative Justice Coalition has announced the next protests are planned for July seventeenth, why to honor civil rights activist and lawmaker John Lewis, who died on July seventeenth in twenty twenty.
Speaker 3: And the administration is planning for the biggest round of target practice on July seventeenth. And there's going to be a mistake or two made, I guarantee you.
Speaker 5: You know what, the protests did work. We don't have a king, so that's pretty impressive though, Okay, do you want no more dinosaurs?
Speaker 4: Yeah, so that could be successful too.
Speaker 5: Yeah. Yeah, so I'm so far, so good. Okay, this could get more ugly, more ugly, morgugally. Thousands of people were fleeing to RN today after President Donald Trump said they should leave the capital. There are some some sources saying that Trump was considering options that include joining Israel and attacking Iranian nuclear sites.
Speaker 1: That could be that could be scary.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Well, in order to successfully attack the nukes, it's the nuclear the production of nuclear weapons are actually a production of it enriched uranium. It has to be done with American bunkerbuster bombs, that's all, and delivered by American American airplanes, either the B two B fifty two it's not going to happen, or the B two bomber and they are the only ones that can deliver those bombs thirty pounds each. And tay Ron boy, there, you talk about being between a rock and a hard place. If they cave, now.
Speaker 1: Be a rock and a hard place.
Speaker 3: Yeah, let's go back and talk about Iran and a hard place is more likely. Just sounded good, didn't it. In the meantime. Okay, in the meantime, for extra credit, in the meantime, you've got Tehran. What choices do they have? I mean, they are they're screwed. Do they hold off and wait for the attack to come because they're frightened. If they agree to negotiations, all of a sudden, they're looked at incredibly weak and there's big forces against them. Do they go forward? Do they do what Hamas has done and simply will stay to the last person, staying alive as long as there's two guys left that can hold on to the hostages. Nobody at this point knows. Now. Iran is very careful not to screw or attack any screw with or attack any American forces in the region. They're forty thousand of them in the media Mid East and or allied forces in the region. So we'll see. We're going to talk a lot about this, that's for sure.
Speaker 5: Iranian Supreme Leader responded this morning, by the way, said we will never surrender.
Speaker 3: Yeah, of course not. I mean, that's why their death is not surrendering. That's true. That's true. And he and the president hasn't decide it. I mean, he can wake up tomorrow morning, this afternoon and say let's go for it. We're attacking with the Israelis and then change his mind and then bring the planes back, and then change his mind and bring you know, move the planes over there until the planes wear out.
Speaker 2: Moving on, well, moving on actually a kind of a continuation of what you were just talking about.
Speaker 4: The bunker busters.
Speaker 2: The US has them, Israel needs them, and we know that there's talk that the US is sort of rolling over getting involved. Israel needs the bunker busters, the GBU fifty sevens, which can get targets that are deep underground. And Iran's main nuclear facility is deep underground in a mountain, and Israel doesn't have the bombs.
Speaker 4: To take it out, but the US does.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Israel also doesn't have the planes to carry the bombs and the US does.
Speaker 3: Now, when you say the government is pondering and deciding and mowing it over, it's not the government. It's Donald Trump. It's his call. It's that simple, although it makes sense because the government is him and he is the government. Okay, one more before we take a break. I think what a heist, Hollywood type heist. You have seven people have been charging a federal indictment. This is tied to a.
Speaker 5: One hundred million dollar Brinks truck heist at a freeway rest stop brother just north of Los Angeles, kind of near San Francisco. Really so gold Diamonds, Rubies, Emeralds, high end watches. They were being transported from a jewelry show and they were stolen in this July twenty twenty two crime. And they said the DOJ said it was the largest jewelry theft in US history.
Speaker 3: Now if I remember correctly, they there were no massive amounts of security around this truck as it was traveling down. It was sort of on its own, and the hopes that no one really knew what was there. It just looked like another truck that was stopping off a rest stop.
Speaker 1: And they followed it. They folded.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and they somehow knew, They somehow knew. So that was one expensive p that that driver took.
Speaker 1: Oh of rest stop.
Speaker 4: It was, Yeah, it was the one at in Labec So, just north of the grape Vine.
Speaker 3: Have I been to that. I'm trying to remember. I'ven't been that one in a million years. I have traveled the Grapevine before, but I don't remember that one. Is that a big, wonderful, fancy one.
Speaker 4: I don't know, because I always go I don't go to the rest stop there.
Speaker 2: I always go to the Starbucks or the Arby's there.
Speaker 4: Okay, go stop, go stop.
Speaker 2: The US Department of Homeland Security has told staff that it is reversing guidance that was just given last week that agents should not do immigration raids at farms, hotels, and restaurants. Now the agents are told that they must continue conducting workforce site immigration raids on agricultural businesses, hotels, and restaurants as they continue to round up illegal immigrants.
Speaker 3: All right, so they're back to that position and has changed. How unusual that's today, I think. Right. Also, it's being reported on BBC that the t talk the final day of the TikTok sell off or shut down, which tomorrow. They're saying that Trump is expanding in another ninety days. That's what BBC is saying or about to. So we'll see day. You wake up in the morning and you don't know what the hell's going on. I think he wakes up in the morning and doesn't know what the hell's going on.
Speaker 5: Yeah, this is a bummer. The civil stuff I think needs a different solve than the criminal stuff. Everybody's behind taking care of the criminal stuff, but the civil stuff man is just causing massive amounts of havoc.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, and a lot of businesses are going to go under. It's that simple, just straight out going to go under. And it won't be a pandemic either. It won't be something beyond our control. It won't be that lab in Wuhan, China, right next to the Kentucky Fried Bat store which caused the pandemic to start. So it's not easy stuff, all right. Moving on?
Speaker 1: Okay, more Ice.
Speaker 5: New York City Comptroller and Democratic mayoral candidate Brad Lander was He's released from custody just yesterday afternoon, about four hours after he was arrested by ICE agents. This had to do with the Department of Homeland Security said that Lander was arrested for assaulting law enforcement and impeding a federal officer.
Speaker 3: So yeah, it just gets more and more entertaining. I was having a breakfast with Steve Gregory yesterday and we were talking about Padilla, Alex Padia and how they were actually with the Secret Service, who probably didn't know who he was and he did not have his identification on his lapel showing as part of the Senate and he was giving another spin to the attack on Padia handcuffing him. So there are generally two sides to virtually every story. I disagreed with it, by the way, but that's besides the point. Someone in the room had to know who the hell he was.
Speaker 2: All I can say, people, is please knock it off. More people are using generative artificial intelligence to get their news for the first time. Significant numbers of people are using chatbots to get headlines and updates. Overall, seven percent are using AI to find news, but the proportion is higher among the younger set. That's twelve percent of people under thirty five and fifteen percent of people under twenty five.
Speaker 3: I'm missing the point here, and I don't quite understand how you use AI to find news as opposed to just finding news. You go to a news source, be it on the internet, be it.
Speaker 1: You can ask Rock.
Speaker 5: A lot of people ask Rock if you can ask all kinds of AI outlets, say give me the headlines or you know what. I'm noticing more and more is it being used in you know, whether it's you know, social media or what have you. It will people will ask is this real, and it will say this seems to be matching the day in the time of this event.
Speaker 1: It's most like.
Speaker 3: So then I can understand. So you're going They're not going there. They're going for the veracity of the story, whether it's true or not.
Speaker 4: No, they're asked. They're literally going to AI and saying, what are the big stories today?
Speaker 3: I know? But why And here's my point? Why would you go to AI as opposed to what are the big stories today? For example? Well, let me do this one, Hey Siri?
Speaker 1: Uh damn this thing I.
Speaker 3: Hate, Sirien. It's hey, Siri, what are the headline stories today? Here we go, uh Trump to again extend TikTok's reprieve. Wait wait, wait, wait for the Panthers win second straight?
Speaker 1: What Surrey is AI? You idgit?
Speaker 5: You just asked AI to tell you what the I did. Yes, that's what Surrey is right now, use AI to find out what the top stories work?
Speaker 3: Okay? All right, hey Sirih.
Speaker 1: Unless there's a mid little tiny.
Speaker 3: Never mind, Okay. I like how she does that. She has a lot of that business. Yeah, I wonder if we can get a Donald Duck answer from those people. You can get anything on anything. Right.
Speaker 5: Oh, that's another thing that I see now, is you ask AI to tell you the news but in rhyme.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I know, it's crazy rhyme and Amy, are you still the voice of ways? Is that still you?
Speaker 2: M m?
Speaker 3: It is? Do you have residuals on that? Every time I ask? You? Know?
Speaker 5: Okay, So just yesterday, a big food giant known as craft Hinds you know, catch up box, mac and cheese, all that good stuff. They said that it would remove all chemical dyes from their products by the end of twenty twenty seven. That means cool a, jello, crystal light, all kinds of stuff. So they're going to get rid of red dye number forty, blue dye number one.
Speaker 1: And they've been ahead of the game.
Speaker 5: I think it was back in twenty sixteen that they actually changed and got rid of all those things, the artificial colors in the light from their mac and cheese.
Speaker 3: A lot of people I like kool Aid. Now we're going to get cherry kool aid. It's going to be gray. You're going to get lemon lime kool aid. It's going to be gray, and it's all going to be really tasty gray kool aid as well.
Speaker 1: With your eyes, yes, ray, Yes, it'll be fine.
Speaker 2: California continues to fight all things Trump. California Senator Tom Umberg has drafted a proposal that would prohibit offering big cash incentives to turn out voters in hotly contested elections. Sound familiar, well, Elon Musk, did it? Remember he gave out those one million dollar checks to people who registered to vote? He said, California Senator Umberg said, there's a fellow named Elon Musk. The bill would close what he calls a loophole in California's election law that he is afraid Musk and other rich people will explode exploit by hosting lotteries to boost voter turnout. It's already a crime in California under federal law to offer cash in exchange for votes.
Speaker 3: Right, But that's for a vote specifically, not joining a pack that's not signing petitions, so you know exactly who you're going after. And Trump received a lot of help, I mean a lot of help from Musk in the hundreds of millions of dollars, of which Musk is now taking credit for putting Trump on the White House. And Trump, of course is saying, no, that's not true. And we all know about the Trump Musk.
Speaker 5: Fight, the US fish and Wildlife Service announced on Monday that the plans to dec seven species of pengolin endangered. And this is just different penalties for those who poach and smuggle what they refer to as the world's most heavily traffic mammal.
Speaker 3: If you're not familiar, I thought they're birds. You know they can't fly.
Speaker 5: That you see penguin, Oh okay, penglin looks like a rat that had sex with a pine cone.
Speaker 3: Ah okay, got it, Now I understand. Have you've seen those things? They are really weird. They're cute too.
Speaker 5: They're strange, but they're strange delicacy in some areas.
Speaker 3: Yeah, don't you hail it.
Speaker 1: Believe to heal liver and skin problems and all that.
Speaker 3: Rhino horns are supposed to give you, uh, you know, make sex so much better, extends sex life, you know in Asian country's rhino horns. You ever heard of viagra or cialis that actually works and rhinoceros don't die because of that? All right, We're done, guys, KF I A. M. You've been listening to the Bill Handle Show. Catch My Show Monday through Friday six am to nine am, and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio app,