Speaker 1: One of the most perplexing questions that people ask is why is there pain in the world? And why does a good God allow pain? You know, it's not a new question. Thousands of years ago, Solomon asked this question in the Book of Ecclesiastes in the Old Testament. In Ecclesiastes, Chapter two, verses twenty two and twenty three, he says this, so what do people get for all their hard work and their struggles here on earth? Their entire life is filled with pain, and their work is unbearable, and even at night their minds don't rest. It all seems so pointless. Now, many scientific studies have documented that human beings are able to handle enormous amounts of pain if if if we know there's a good purpose for that pain. You see, it's worthless pain, it's arbitrary pain. It's pain that feels pointless, pain without any purpose. That's the kind of pain that is so unbearable and so intolerable. When you see a purpose behind pain, you can handle enormous amounts of it. For instance, many of you women have given birth to a child. Giving birth is painful, but women bear that pain for a great purpose. They bring forth life. Pain with a purpose is manageable. Pain without a purpose is unmanageable. No matter what kind of pain you're going through right now, or no matter what kind of pain you're going to go through in the future. It may be physical pain, it may be emotional pain, it may be spiritual pain. It may be financial or relational or mental mental pain. You will be far better prepared to handle pain. You'll be far better prepared to cope with it if you focus on the potential benefits and the possible purposes of that pain. I know somebody saying, well, okay, where do I get the courage and truth to focus on when I'm in deep pain? Well, the answer is the Bible. The Bible, the Book of God's Holy Word, is where you focus to get the purposes and the potentials and the promises of God. They're all in the Bible to help you handle the pain that's in life. Romans eight twenty eight says this, we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love Him, who have been called according to His purpose. Now look at that verse for just a minute. We know that in all things God works for the good. It doesn't say all things are good. Obviously, there's a lot of bad things in the world, and so not everything that happens in your life is good, And you shouldn't even act like everything that happens in your life is good. There's a lot of bad things that happen to you and other people because there is evil, there is sin in the world. But the Bible says, we know that in all things God is working for the good of those who love him. Now, this is not a promise for everybody. It's only a promise for those who love Him, who've been called according to his purpose. But if you love God and if you're trying to live according to his purpose, the Bible says God is working in all things, even the bad things, the evil things, the terrible things, the sinful things, the painful things of life. God says I, and I'm working even in all those things for your good. What is this verse teaching us. It's telling us that pain can be managed by purpose and on purpose, and for a purpose. Everybody has problems, but some people profit from them and some don't. They don't know how to learn from their losses. Everybody has losses, and some people learn from them and others don't. Believers who grow are those who learn how to harvest their hurts. They learn learn from their losses to profit from problems. They learn how to improve from their injuries, how to advance from their adversity, how to gain from their pain. This is what God wants to do in pain, using the pain in your life. God doesn't have to create pain. There's plenty of pain already in the world, but God wants to use it for good. And this is why the question Paul asked in Galatians chapter three is so important. In Galatians chapter three, verse four, Paul says this to the people there in the church in Galatia. He says, have you gone through all of this for nothing? Is it all really for nothing? In other words, have you wasted the pain in your life? That's a question that I have to ask myself. It's a question you have to ask yourself and say, well, is it too late to change?
Speaker 2: No, it is not.
Speaker 1: It's not too late to change your mind. It's not too late to start benefiting from the pain. Let's look at five ways to use your pain for good in your life, whether it's physical or emotional, or relational, financial, any kind of pain. God wants to use it five different ways for good in your life. Now, let me give you a personal testimony, but I'm going to share with you today. I know this works from personal experience as I'm sharing this message right now. This is the sixth anniversary of when our youngest son died, and that day was the worst day of our family's life. And yet we are moving forward, and we're moving forward in hope because of what we know from God's word, like the verse I just read, and because of how we've used that pain for good and for God in our lives and in the lives of others. So what I'm sharing with you is from personal experience. Five ways God wants to use your pain for good. Number one, use pain to draw closer to God and trust him more. Use the pain in your life to draw closer to God and trust him more. You know, when anything painful happens, you've got a choice. You can either run to God or you can run from God. And now the second way never made any sense for me. If you're running away from God, what are you running to? Who could help you more in your pain than God? Why not run to God? But some people, when they're in pain they run to God. And some people, when they're in pain, they actually run from God, they run away from Him. You know, I'll have to tell you, since Matthew died, I've spent more time personally alone with God than all of my previous life combined.
Speaker 2: Why.
Speaker 1: Pain has a way of drawing you close to God. Now, how do you do that? How do you draw closer to God when you're in pain? Well, the first thing you do is you just tell Him exactly how you feel. If you want to argue with God, argue with God. God, I don't like this, God, I'm mad, I'm upset. That's a prayer. It's called the prayer of lament. You need to learn how to worship God in all the phases of grief. You know, our family did what Paul did in tewod Corinthians chapter one, in verses eight to ten, he says this. He talks about a time he was so depressed.
Speaker 2: He says, we were.
Speaker 1: Crushed and overwhelmed, and we saw how powerless we were to help ourselves. Ever felt like that, Paul says, but that was good. What do you mean, crushed, overwhelmed, powerless? He says, that was good? For then we put everything into the hands of God, who alone could save us, and he did help us. One of the first things our family did after Matthew took his life is we actually went away on a retreat together as a family, and we did a surrender to God retreat together where were saying, God, We're going to put this all in the hands, all of our brokenness, all of our pain, all of our hurt, all of our sorrow. Can you imagine that kind of sorrow? And as a family we did a surrender to God retreat. Why because pain can draw you close to God if you'll let it. The Bible says God is close to the broken hearted. God is never closer to you than when you're in pain. And many of you could say pain turned me to Christ. That's why Paul later says in Second Corinthians, chapter seven, verse ninety, says, I'm glad not because it hurts you. I'm glad not because it hurts you, but because the pain turns you to God. And that's the first thing you can do. Don't waste your pain, let it turn you to God. Spend longer times with him, reading the Bible, studying his word, being quiet, listening to God, being alone with God. That's what pain can do. It can draw you closer to God. That's called worship. Number two. The second way you can use pain for good is to use pain to draw closer to others. Use pain to draw closer to others. This is called fellowship. If you allow it, and if you're honest about the things that are causing you pain, pain will deepen and mature your love and your relationships and your sense of community and Poynanea, it will build authentic relationships. You see, suffering sensitizes you because it turns you away from being self centered to all of a sudden, when you've gone through a major pain, you're sensitized to it in others and you can see other people in pain, and all of a sudden, you care more about other people in pain. You know, there's a sad statistic that about a third of marriages end up splitting up after the loss of a child because we all all grieve differently and off and a husband grieves one way and a wife greaves in another way, and it causes people to go further and further apart. But Kay and I, when Matthew died, decided that we were going to use the pain to actually grow closer together rather than have it drive us apart. And one of the things we did is we decided to not try to talk each other out of our pain. But when Kay was going through a down moment, a wave of grief, I would simply walk over to her and put my arm around her, or just stand by her and be quiet. I wouldn't say anything. There were no words to say. It's just the ministry of presents. The deeper the pain someone is going through, the fewer words you use. Sometimes people are afraid to go over to a friend's house when they've lost love and.
Speaker 2: Say, I don't know what to say, don't.
Speaker 1: Say anything, just show up and shut up, just be there. It's the ministry of presence. They don't need words, they just need your presence. Like when the night Matthew died and our small group came over and said, we're spending the night at your house.
Speaker 2: We're not going to leave you here alone. We're gonna be with you.
Speaker 1: And they didn't try to preach any sermons or give us any words of wisdom. They were just there the ministry of presents, and they slept on our couches and you know, in our kitchen and everywhere. And I'll never forget that. And now when Kay and I would go through different waves of grief. I'm going through grief, she would come over and just stand with me, or sometimes a pat on the back or grab my hand, the physical, you know, touch without.
Speaker 2: Trying to explain something away or.
Speaker 1: Trying to talk somebody out of their pain. Instead of trying to help somebody get out of their pain. Don't try to cheer people up when they're in grief. Instead, try to enter into their grief and feel it with him. That's how you use pain to build fellowship. That's how you use pain to build a relationship. That's how you use pain to get closer to someone, not trying to talk them out of what they're feeling, but actually you trying to feel it with them, sharing it with them.
Speaker 2: I will tell you.
Speaker 1: I asked, Kay, why do you think we're so much closer together after you know, Matthew died.
Speaker 2: She said, because you've been so nice to me.
Speaker 1: But we intentionally worked at strengthening our relationship and we gave each other grace. And what that means is we didn't judge each other other's feelings. You see, we often think our feelings are legitimate, but your feelings are illegitimate. My fears are rational, your feelings, your fears are irrational.
Speaker 2: No.
Speaker 1: No, we gave each other grace, so you stop judging each other's feelings and try to feel each other's feelings. That's what you do in pain to grow it closer relations. Chapter six, Verse two says this, by helping each other with your troubles, you truly obey the law of Christ.
Speaker 2: What is the law Christ? Love your neighbor as yourself.
Speaker 1: And he says when you share with each other in the suffering, and you hurt when other people hurt. Now you're loving your neighbors yourself. Pain can teach you how to really love, because love is not a quiver in your liver. Love is doing the sacrificial thing. Number three. Third way you can use pain for good.
Speaker 2: In your life.
Speaker 1: I can use it to draw closer to God, to trust him more. That's worship. I can use it to grow closer to you and be closer in fellowship. Number three, Use pain to grow deeper like Jesus in your character, use pain to grow deeper like Jesus. The Bible calls this discipleship, and every time you're in pain, it is an opportunity to work on your attitude, to work on your virtue, to work on your character. The Bible talks about the fruit of the spirit nine qualities. The fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, gentleness, goodness, faithfulness, meekness, self control. The Bible says, these are what happens when the Spirit is living through your life. How does God build these qualities in your life by putting you the exact opposite situations. He teaches you love when you're around unlovely people. He teaches you joy in the middle of grief. He teaches you patience by putting you in situations where you have to wait. He teaches every one of these qualities. Self control by putting you in a situation where you're attempting to be not self controlled. Pain is an opportunity to grow in character like Christ. But again, it's a choice. When you're in pain, you can be bitter or you can become better. Pain can be a stepping stone to maturity or a stumbling block to immaturity.
Speaker 2: It's not a automatic.
Speaker 1: The Bible says in Proverbs twenty verse thirty. Sometimes it takes a painful experience to make us change our ways. Anybody who want to give a testimony on that verse. Sometimes it takes a painful experience to make us change our ways. We don't change when we see the light. We change when we feel the heat. Now, once you have come to Christ, you're saved. You're in the body of Christ. You're in the family of God. You're a child of God. Once you're in God's family, God's number one purpose in your life is to make you like Jesus Christ. You're born again. Now, he wants you to grow up like father.
Speaker 2: Like son.
Speaker 1: He wants you to have the characteristics of God, the Father. God wants to make you like Jesus Christ. He's the perfect model of humanity. Now here's the corollary to that. If God's going to make me like Jesus, then He's going to hate me. Through everything Jesus went through. Did Jesus experience pain?
Speaker 2: Of course he did.
Speaker 1: Did Jesus experience times when he was lonely, Yes, when he was tempted to be discouraged, Yes, when he was simply tempted? Yes, did Jesus have people misunderstand him and criticize him. Yes, if God is going to make you like Jesus, He's going to take you through everything Jesus went through. God did not spare Jesus from being criticized, from being persecuted. Why would he spare you. He wants you to grow up in character and be like a son. The Bible says in Hebrews chapter five, verse eight, even though Jesus was God's son, he learned obedience from the things he suffered. We learn obedience through suffering. In fact, Hebrews chapter five, verse nine says it like this suffering made Jesus perfect. And now he can say forever all who obey him, Now Jesus was perfect.
Speaker 2: What does that mean?
Speaker 1: Well, this word telos in Greek means complete. Suffering made Jesus complete. There's some things we only learn through pain, and so we want to draw closer to God, we want to draw closer to others, but we want.
Speaker 2: To become more like Jesus.
Speaker 1: And God wants to build the character of Christ in your life, and some of those things can only be built through pain. In fact, Paul complimented the way that the Corinthian believers had actually grown through their pain in tewod Corinthians, chapter seven. He says this verse eleven, Now, isn't it wonderful all the ways in which this distress? They had gone through some major distress there in corinth isn't it wonderful all the ways in which this distress has goaded you closer to God?
Speaker 2: That's the first purpose.
Speaker 1: You're more alive, You're more concerned, more sensitive, You're more reverent, You're more human, you're more passionate, you're more responsible. Looked at it from any angle. You've come out of this with purity of heart. I love that message. Translation of that passage, he says these seven things, being concerned and sensitive, and reverent, and human and passionate, responsible, being fully alive says you want these things in your life that ask God to use the pain that's in your life to help you become more like Jesus.
Speaker 2: You see. The fact is pain always transforms us.
Speaker 1: Either for good or bad. It'll make us bitter or better. As I said, pain never leaves you where it found you. And Second Corinthians eleven, verses twenty three to twenty eight, Paul gives the testimony of all of the pain he's been through. He said, I've been put in jail more often. I've been whipped times without number. I faced death again and again and again.
Speaker 2: Five times.
Speaker 1: I was whipped with thirty nine lashes, three times. I was beaten with rods once, I was stoned with stones three times. I was shipwrecked once. I spent a whole night in the day a drift at sea. And he says, I faced dangers my entire life from flooded rivers, from robbers, from angry mobs. I faced dangers in the city and in the deserts and on stormy seas, and for people who claim to be Christians but are not. He said, I've lived with weariness. I've lived with pain. I've lived with sleepless nights. I've often been hungry and thirsty. I've often gone without food. I've often shivered with cold, not enough clothing to keep me warm. And besides all this, I've had the daily burden of all of the churches that I've started. Then, he says, in response to all of those things, I mean, you think you had problems haul did Second Corinthians four verses eight to ten. Here is his attitude toward it. He said, you know, we're pressed on every side by trouble. Okay, it just comes pressing in on us. But we're not crushed, We're not broken.
Speaker 2: Okay. He says, we're perplexed, but we don't give up and quit.
Speaker 1: He says, we're often confused about life, but we don't give up even when we don't know the answers. He says, we're hunted down, but we're never abandoned. God never abandons us. He says, we get knocked down, but we get up again and keep going. It's like a boxer. I get knocked down, but I'm not knocked out, and he says, we get up again and keep going through suffering. Paul says, these bodies of ours constantly share in the death of Jesus, so that the life of Jesus may also be seen in our bodies.
Speaker 2: WHOA.
Speaker 1: Those three passages are amazing testimony of resilience.
Speaker 2: What was Paul's secret? What was Paul's.
Speaker 1: Secret of the ability to get back up again? Well, it was an eternal perspective. He had a greater purpose. As I said earlier, you can handle unbelievable pain if you can see a purpose in it. And in Two Corinthians, Chapter four, verses sixteen to eighteen. Here's the purpose that Paul says keeps him going for this reason. This is the reason we never become discouraged. Even though our physical being is gradually decaying, yet our spiritual being is being renewed day after day.
Speaker 2: He said.
Speaker 1: I can't stop the aging process, but I can stay fresh and renewed in my spirit on the inside. He says, these temporary troubles we suffer will bring us a tremendous and eternal glory. The reward in heaven much greater than the trouble, For we fix our attention not on the things that are seen, but on the things that are unseen. Because what can be seen last only for a time. It's temporary, but what cannot be seen last forever. This is the power of growing in Christ when you're in pain, of seeing a greater perspective that, yes, I'm in pain right now, but even if I had chronic pain my entire life, my entire life might be sixty seventy eighty at the most ninety years or so. But I'm going to benefit from it in heaven and receive the rewards and reap the benefits for trillions of years. He said, that stuff's going to last forever, so have them greater perspective when you're in pain. That's not just here. And now let me give you a fourth reason. Remember the five purposes. The fourth purpose is the purpose of using your life to make a contribution and having a ministry or having a place of service. You weren't put on this earth to live a self centered life. So here's the fourth way you can use pain. Use pain to be or become more sensitive in serving others. This is called redemptive pain. It is the highest and best use of pain. That when I'm going through pain, rather than focusing on my pain, I redirect my focus to other people are in pain. And as I said earlier, pain sensitizes us. If you have struggled with depression, you're sensitive to other people who are depressed. If you have struggled with physical pain like back pain, then you're sensitive to other people who've had back pain. If you've gone through the pain of a divorce, you know what it's like, and you are sensitive to people who go through the pain of a divorce. It doesn't matter what pain you've gone through. Jesus wants to redeem your suffering.
Speaker 2: He doesn't want to waste it. He wants to use it.
Speaker 1: He wants to use it to help other people when they are in pain.
Speaker 2: Tewod Corinthians, chapter one.
Speaker 1: Verses four to six. It's a powerful passage that says this God comforts us in all of our troubles so that we can comfort others. Then when other people are troubled, we will be able to give them the same comfort that God has given us.
Speaker 2: You can be sure.
Speaker 1: Paul says that the more we suffer, the more we suffer for Christ, the more God will shower us with his comfort through Christ. So he says, when we're weighed down with troubles and pain, he said, it's for your benefit and salvation. But when God comforts us, it is so that we in turn can be an encouragement to you. Then you can patiently endure the same thing we suffer. Do not waste your heart, Do not waste your pain. Let God use it. Your greatest ministry will come out of your deep this pain. Your greatest ministry will come out of your greatest weakness and failing. If you'll be honest to God, honest to others, and honest to yourself, it will become your ministry. So I use pain in my life to draw close to God in worship. I use pain in my life to draw close to others in fellowship. When I share my strengths, that doesn't make us feel close. But when I share my weakness as you go, oh, it draws us close. Rick has problems that if God uses in then maybe God.
Speaker 2: Could use me.
Speaker 1: When you share your pain, it helps you grow in Christ. And when you use your pain to minister to others who've gone through the same thing, are going through what you've already gone through, that's called your ministry.
Speaker 2: Number five.
Speaker 1: God wants you to use pain to witness to the world. You see God, God says that our witness comes out of our weaknesses, not out of our strengths.
Speaker 2: You see, we've got it all backwards.
Speaker 1: We think the world is impressed by how we enjoy prosperity.
Speaker 2: That don't impress the world.
Speaker 1: They see that all around non Christians have that what actually impresses them is not how we handle prosperity, but what impresses non believers is how believers handle adversity, not prosperity. We think our successes give us credibility, but actually it is our suffering that gives us credibility.
Speaker 2: We think that fame earns.
Speaker 1: Respect, but actually it's faithfulness in tough times that earns respect. Paul was a pro at this. He was a pro at using this pain as a witness. He said, I'm not just going to use it to grow close to God and to minister to other people. I'm going to use it as a witness. In Philippians, chapter one, verse twelve, Paul writes this, I want you to know, dear brothers and sisters, that everything that has happened to me here And where is he when he's writing. He's in a dungeon in Rome, in prison, chained to a prison guard. I want you to know, deer brothers and sisters, that everything that has happened to me here has helped to spread the good news. Paul says, I actually use my pain to model the message that God has given me.
Speaker 2: Model my message.
Speaker 1: See, if Paul had not been chained up in prison, he wouldn't have written all of those letters that became the New Testament. He would have been out moving around from town to town, going around. God allowed him in that prison so he could write all these prison letters, which we now read as the New Testament. Paul says in two Corinthian sixty four, in everything we do, we try to show that we're the true servants of God. That means even in how we handle pain, how we handle failure, how we handle defeat, how we handle problems, how we handle our own mistakes, how we handle sin, how we handle all of the bad things that happen in our lives. Anybody can handle good. Doesn't take God's power to handle good. It takes God's power to patiently endure. And Paul says, in everything we do, we try to show we're true servants of God. We patiently endure suffering and hardship and trouble of every kind. Why because it is a witness Just like your deepest ministry will come out of your deepest hurt, your deepest life message will come out of your deepest pain. This is real, authentic witnessing. Now I want you to listen very carefully. Every area in your life where you've had pain. Never thought about this, but it's true. Every area in your life where you've had pain, you have a testimony. Don't waste your pain. Don't waste your hurt. There are people all around you who are going now through what you've already gone through, and they will listen to your story. You know, the greatest witness of God's love, the greatest example, the greatest demonstration of God's love, was not Jesus's perfect life. The greatest witness of God's love was not Jesus's sermons. The greatest witness of God's love were not the miracles of Jesus. The greatest witness of God's love was the suffering that Jesus went through on the cross. The same is true with you. Let me pray for you, Heavenly Father. I want to thank you that no matter what we go through, it may be difficult, but we don't have to be devastated by it, because you have said, we know that in all things God works together for the good of those who love God, who are called according to this purpose. You have these five purposes for our lives. May we grow in Your plan and purpose for our lives, even in the bad times, even in the painful times. Now you pray, say, God, help me to use my pain to draw closer to You. Help me to use my pain to learn to trust you more, to depend on you more, to not run from you, but to run to you when I am in pain, and when I'm hurting, to cry out and ask for your help. And then say, Lord, help me to be honest enough to use my pain to build relationships, to develop closer connection, to build a fellowship with other people, To not try to impress people with my strengths, but to be honest about my weaknesses and pains and hurts and fears and failures and fumbles and flaws, and that realizing we draw closer in humility, not in bragging.
Speaker 2: Help me to use the pain in my life to.
Speaker 1: Draw closer to other people who may be going through that same pain. Then pray, Lord, help me to become more like Jesus. I want to grow in character. I want to grow in love and joy and peace and patience. And I know that you use even pain in my life to build character, to build virtue.
Speaker 2: To make me a little more like Jesus.
Speaker 1: Do that in my life, Lord, And then pray Lord, help me to use the pain in my life help others who are in pain, and whatever I've gone through, use it to serve others, to take the things that I've been most afraid of or ashamed of, or running from, and realizing that you want to actually use that that they're all a lot of other people going through the exact same thing in our world today. Help me to use to use what I've gone through for your glory. And may my great ministry, greatest ministry come out of my deepest hurts. And finally, Lord, I want to be a witness with my weakness. I want to be a witness with the pain, and help me to look for ways to find people who are going through things that I've gone through, and then to step up alongside them and invite them to know You, to share your love with them. I want to be a witness, not out of my successes that I want to be a witness out of the pain that I've had in my life. I commit all of this to you, Lord. I know I can handle pain if I can see the purpose in it, and I know that there will be great rewards in heaven. Father, I thank you for these who've prayed this prayer. And if there's somebody here who listening to me who has not opened their life that Jesus Christ, yet, may they right now say Jesus Christ, come into my life. Just say that, Jesus Christ, come into my life and replace the painful parts in my heart with your comfort and your care and your courage. I want to follow you from this day forward. Jesus, I humbly ask you to accept me into your family.
Speaker 2: In your name, I pray Amen.