Speaker 1: Hello, and welcome to Quiz Quiz Bang Bang, the pub quiz practice show that hits you pow right in the quizzer.
Speaker 2: I'm David Flora and I'm Annie Flora, and we're here to teach you more about trivia than there are fun Jimothy things happening in the world. Seattle, since that's where Jimothy's from, is embracing Jimothy the most. And there was an arts fair that was all Jimothy themed. Everything that was there looked amazing. And the Mariners had like a drinks the Jimothy Drink special that you could get, which was like a little trash can with a raccoon tail sticking out of it or something.
Speaker 1: I don't know. I love it. That's that's all the correcters. That is all correct.
Speaker 2: Yes, And the Oatmeal does a race every year called Beat the Blurch and their medal was a Jimothy awesome. I'm very sad that I will not be running that race because that's the best medal ever. Hey, David, should we just dive in.
Speaker 1: I'd like to yay.
Speaker 2: Here's how the show works.
Speaker 1: Wiz Quiz Bang Bang's format is four rounds of four questions each followed by the answers. After round two, we'll ask a quick fire bang bang question where you'll have a time limit to give multiple answers. After the fourth round, the show culminates with the Big Bang, a final round with three questions whose answers are all clues to one final question.
Speaker 2: Round one. Question one, the category is television. Which comedian ended her weekly shows by tugging on her left ear lobe. Question two, the category is geography. This question comes from listener Ava, Thank you Eva. Which Wisconsin peninsula is nicknamed the Cape Cod of the Midwest. It has three hundred miles of shoreline in more lighthouses than any other county in the US. Question three, the category is history. William the Conqueror is most famous for conquering what. Question four. The category is comics. This question comes from listener James.
Speaker 1: Thank you, James, Thank you.
Speaker 2: James, also known for his role on mash who played Charlie Brown in the nineteen sixty seven off Broadway musical You're a Good Man, Charlie Brown and Now. The answer is around one. Question one, which comedian ended her weekly shows by tugging on her left ear lobe. Carol Burnett, her grandmother raised her, and she was like, let me know that you're okay, say hi to me at the end of your shows. And Carol's like, I don't think they'll let me just be like hi, Grandma. So she's like, but I'll tug on my left earlobe and that will let you know doing well and I love you. Question two. Which Wisconsin peninsula is nicknamed the cape Cod of the Midwest. Well, guess what Ava's boyfriend You're going there is Door County, Wisconsin.
Speaker 1: That's literally adorable.
Speaker 2: Ah. Question three. William the Conqueror is most famous for conquering What England. Question four, also known for his role on Mash, who played Charlie Brown in a nineteen sixty seven off Broadway musical You're a Good Man Charlie Brown Gary Berghoff, and he was not in the nineteen seventy three broadcast because of MASH that had started up and then that went on to become an animated version in nineteen eighty five.
Speaker 1: So he was in the off Broadway show of it. Bud didn't get on the TV version because he was too busy with Mash. Right, yeah, okay, Round two. Question five. The category is animals What is it called when fish fertilize externally? Question six? Category Music and film. This one comes from listener Leela. Thank you, Leela, Thank you, Leila. The nineteen seventy three movie Pat Garrett and Billy the Kid starred, What two music idols? Question seven category literature? The Anna and din or Shadow of the Leviathan series, which include A Trade of Blood, a Drop of Corruption, and the Hugo Award winning the Tainted Cup, are all by what author? Question eight category sports. This one comes from listener Teresa. Thank you, Teresa, Thank you, Teresa. E ten has been described as the mecca of long distance running and is located in what country? And now? The answer is a round two. Question five, what is it called when fish fertilize externally? Spawning question six? The nineteen seventy three movie Pat Garrett and Billy the Kids starred, What to music idols? Christofferson played Billy the Kid and Bob Dylan played Alias.
Speaker 2: He also contributed to the soundtrack. Have you ever heard of a little song David called Knocking on Heaven's Door?
Speaker 1: Sure? He wrote that for this So he didn't play Pat Garrett.
Speaker 2: Nope. James Coburn played Pat Garrett's okay.
Speaker 1: Question seven. A trait of Blood, a drop of corruption, and the Tainted Cup are all by what author Robert Jackson Bennett.
Speaker 2: Yeah, if you like fantasy and you like murder mystery, this is great because it's basically a kind of Sherlock Watson crime fighting duo, but very much their own characters, and they saw really kind of gross, crazy crimes in a fantasy world with monsters, and it's fantastic.
Speaker 1: Question eight e ten has been described as the mecca of long distance running and is located in what country can y?
Speaker 2: That's it for the first half, which means it's time for the Bang Bang Round. The category for this week's Bang Bang Round is geography. This question comes from listener Major Data, Thank you, Maja. According to the National Park Service, the hydrographic Great the internally draining region of the Western United States, extends into what eight states? Your time starts now?
Speaker 1: And that's time? What eight states does the Great Basin extend in two? They are Nevada, Arizona, New Mexico, Colorado, Utah, Wyoming, Idaho, and Oregon. That is from the National Parks Service. A lot of places will only do five or six of those States, But it's a big area.
Speaker 2: That's right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, The National Park Service says that's where it gets to. And one place that you can get to is learn clash dot Com slash quiz Bang. Because this episode is supported by learn Clash, most trivia apps hand you the same six categories forever. Learn Clash builds a quiz on any topic you could name. You want to go obscure Simpson's episodes. You want the periodic table eighties wrestling, it's your call, man.
Speaker 2: You do a real opponent of one on one, three minutes a turn. Whenever you have a minute, miss a question, and spaced repetition brings it back until it sticks, which is exactly how you stop losing points on the categories that always get Yall.
Speaker 1: We've played that. I've seen stuff come back. It's nice.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Because we apparently are terrible at true crime.
Speaker 1: I don't feel too bad about it. Learn Clash is free to play, no ads ever. Go to learn clash dot com slash quiz Bang and pick the topic. Nobody else at your table would dare heo.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And we told people last week to challenge us, and we've been getting challenged. We don't know if it's you guys, but hey, good job Daisy and Bryson and everyone who I've been playing against. I it's been fun.
Speaker 1: And I don't know.
Speaker 2: If I'm playing against listeners or not, but it's been fun fun.
Speaker 1: Thank you Learn Clash for sponsoring quiz Quiz Bang Bang, Thank you guys.
Speaker 2: Round three. Question nine, the category is science. Who is considered the father of modern chemistry? Question ten? The category is society and culture. This question comes from listener Bubby. Thank you Bobby, Thank you Bobby, along with a cash prize. What do contestants win in the Nathan's Famous International Hot Dog Eating Contest? Question eleven, the category.
Speaker 1: Is space.
Speaker 2: Mare Imbrium or the Sea of Showers or Sea of Rains is a lava plane within the Imbrium basin located where Question twelve, the category is Food and Drink. This question comes from listener Dan. Thank you Dan, Thank you Dan. What flavor was the original cream filling of Twinkies? And now the answer is to a round three? He questioned nine. Who is considered the father of modern chemistry? Antoine Lorraine Levosier. That's la v O I si e r. In case my French accent was too good He's noted for his discovery that the role of oxygen plays in combustion. He named oxygen in seventeen seventy eight, recognizing it as an element, and also recognized hydrogen as an element in seventeen eighty three. And I think he did something about changing it from qualitative to quantitative, which was good for the study of chemistry.
Speaker 1: So they stopped arranging him by which one was the coolest. This was a mercury at the time.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's that's right.
Speaker 1: That's hydrogen. Bag the line helium loser. Actually helium. You're all right. You make you make the voice funny. You're right back to the top.
Speaker 2: You're a good party trick. We don't like you for your personality.
Speaker 1: All the glitters is not gold carbon.
Speaker 2: Question ten. Along with a cash prize, what do contestants win in the Nathan's Famous International Hot Dog Eating Contest? A mustard belt. It's kind of like those wrestling belts, but mustardy.
Speaker 1: If you're not winning respect, you gotta win something.
Speaker 2: I can't do it, No, I don't want to. Question eleven. Mare Imbrium or the sea of showers or Sea of rains is a lava plane with the imbrium basin located where the moon. Question twelve, what flavor was the original cream filling of Twinkies? Banana? Speaking of banana, we got three write ins about bananas, so we hope you stick around for the end of the episode because we have a ton of fun banana facts. It's the most fun facts we've ever had written in for an episode. So thank you for the gross Michelle Branch of Good Tastes right in Tasty Lick because it got people talking, turned to send.
Speaker 1: A regular banana republic over Round four. Question thirteen. The category is Games and Hobbies. Which board game that won the spiel drs in twenty fourteen? Has you collect precious jewels and gems like emeralds, sapphires, rubies and diamonds. Question fourteen, Category Religion. This one comes from Brian the language guy. Thank you Brian, Thank you, Brian. A Huramazda is the main deity of which religion? Question fifteen. The category is mythology. Which Greek goddess of love and beauty was said to be born from sea foam? Question sixteen Category theater. Which composer has won the most Tony awards? And now the answer is for round four? Question thirteen. Which board game the one the Spieler Yaris in twenty fourteen? Has you collect precious jewels and gems splendor? Question fourteen A Huramazda is the main deity of which religion Zoroastrianism. The literal meanings of the words Ahura and Mazda are Lord and wisdom, respectively. Question fifteen. Which goddess of love and beauty was said to be born from sea foam aphrodite? Question sixteen? Which composer has won the most Tony Awards? That is Stephen Sondheim.
Speaker 2: And that's it for the regular rounds, which means it's time for the Big Bang Round. The category for this week's Big Bang Round is Society and Culture. This question comes from listener Jus. Thank you, Joe, Thank you Jos. We will give you three clue questions, which are all hints to one final question. The clue questions may not fall under the same category. Question in which TV show would you find the fictional bands Jesse and the Rippers and Hot Daddy in the Monkey Puppets?
Speaker 1: Question two. According to director Chris Columbus, Robin Williams improvised so much of what film that depending on the editing of it, it could have been rated PG, PG thirteen or R.
Speaker 2: Question three, which nineteen eighty nine novel by Amy Tan focuses on four Chinese immigrant families who start a Marjon club that shares its name with the title of the book, and.
Speaker 1: Your Big Bang Question again the category Society and Culture the United Nations Charter was drafted and ratified in what City in nineteen forty five, and now.
Speaker 2: The answers to the Big Bang round Question one? In which TV show would you find the bands Jesse and the Rippers and Hot Daddy and the Monkey Puppets Full House?
Speaker 1: Question two? According to Chris Columbus, Robin Williams improvised so much of what film that, depending on the editing, could have been PGPG thirteen or Our Missus Doubtfire. It ended up being a PG thirteen film, so right in the middle.
Speaker 2: It'd be fun to see the R version, right well.
Speaker 1: I've like the fan cuts where they make a trailer that makes it seem like a horror three.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Question three, which nineteen eighty nine novel by Amy Tan, focuses on four Chinese immigrant families who start Amagen club that shares its name with the title of the book, The Joy Luck Club.
Speaker 1: And finally, the United Nations Charter was drafted and ratified in what city in nineteen forty five? The city where Full House, Misses, Doubt, Fire, and The Joy Luck Club all take place. It's San Francisco.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we thought that was super interesting. Boy, I don't associate the chart of the United Nations.
Speaker 1: I don't know if that would have been my top five. Yeah, New York, DC, Philadelphia, Los Angeles, those would have been.
Speaker 2: Yeah. For some reason, you think East, you don't think West.
Speaker 1: Well, yeah, I mean the United Nations building is in New York City, right, yeah, Boston.
Speaker 2: Hey David, this is interesting, huh. But you know what's even more interesting but not I Three separate listeners wrote in to tell us more about bananas, and I love it. I love learning fun facts. So please please send these in because this may we were just like another banana email and we got excited for each one. The first one is from Melanie.
Speaker 1: Thank you Melanie Melody, and.
Speaker 2: She says we are longtime listeners from New Brunswick, Canada. Yay. She says, I teach plant ecology, which is awesome and I love talking about the gross Michelle banana in my classes as an example of what can happen when we have monoclonal monocultures. So here's a bit more info about it. As a follow up from the previous week's quiz. The gross Michelle was nearly wiped out in the nineteen fifties and sixties by panama a soil fungus aka Fusarium wilt. Because commercial banana are sterile clones grown as exact genetic copies, the fungus was extremely rapidly destructive. They were replaced by the Cavendish variety because they were more resistant to that disease and were easy to ship and had a long shelf life. They were, however, less tasty. This is also in part why banana flavor doesn't taste like currant bananas, as the taste was based on the gross Michelle variety. It's also important to note that the Cavendish variety is also a clone, hence it is susceptible to another epidemic in the future. Oh so that is very interesting. We'll do all three listener things and then we'll talk about bananas.
Speaker 1: We heard from listener Jessup. Thank you, Jessup, Thank you jess Up. Jessup says, you had a question regarding bananas and the Gross Michelle aka Big mic in Fringe. So the real deal there is that the Big mic was the standard table banana in stores until it was destroyed by a blight. The Caven dish is the banana we eat now. And jessup Al also says the banana flavored candy is the Gross Michelle flavor that it's mimicking.
Speaker 2: That's so crazy.
Speaker 1: That is I mean banana flavor. You don't like it? I do, yeah, And it is like it's different, strangely, yeah, not what we eat. Yeah, Like it is banana flavor, but it's not banana. It's not cavendish.
Speaker 2: It's not cavendish banana.
Speaker 1: It is banana or banana.
Speaker 2: And Dan, who also sent us a twinkie question, Hey Dan, thank you, Dan says Gross Michelle bananas are a favorite topic of mine, as I read when bananas hit the world market late eighteen hundreds, they were a sensation. These were the Gross Michelle variety. Evidently they tasted like banana flavoring taste. Now, I think the artificial chemical was made from banana itself. Then back in the fifties or so an incurable fungus h bananas worldwide, but the mildly banana flavored Cavendish was immune. Gross Michelle still exists, but you have to travel to get them. Hawaii should be close enough. My friend in Hawaii says a gross Michelle is not the only variety available there. I have been to Hawaii four times and was so busy scarfing down Sunrise papayas I know clue about looking for a plain old banana. I won't make that mistake if I ever go back. I would also love to try chestnuts roasting on an open fire, but those were American chestnuts, which do not exist the nut but may again someday. Isn't food fun, right? This is like chestnuts cat roast on an open fire. Thank you all of you for sending that in because we didn't know, and it's very interesting. But it's something I have complained about before to David, where I don't like artificial banana flavor, so I'd be very interested in eating a gross Michelle banana to see if I don't like them. They say they're more flavorful, so I would love to try it. But whenever I eat artificial banana, also artificial grape. I don't, you know, like if you're any Skills or Starbucks.
Speaker 1: Or whatever variety.
Speaker 2: Yeah, right, because both of them they don't taste like the real thing to me, and I don't like them. I like bananas, apparently cavendish bananas, and I like grapes, but I yeah, I've never had a gross Michelle, I don't think so. If we travel, it's a funny thing because, like Dan said, you know, if you're in Hawaii, you don't think let me try a Hawaii banana. But now I do kind of want to keep my eye out when we travel and be like, oh hey, what kind of bananas do they have here?
Speaker 1: My question is is it endangered? Is it not just not viable that it's produced and shipped because of the shelf life and stuff? Is can we not grow it close enough to get it here? You know what I mean? Did it wipe out everything? Everybody's saying we still have it here and there, but just not as prevalent.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Also side note for what at some point I heard that the banana herbaceous plant all we have in the world is all we're gonna have, or something like it doesn't regrow or it sounds sketchy to me, so maybe one of you guys can can clear that up.
Speaker 2: More banana bacs please, I would.
Speaker 1: Like some more banana facts. And this has been Banana Corner.
Speaker 2: So thank you for the fun banana facts, and thank you for the listener questions, and thank you for listening, if indeed you so.
Speaker 1: Far for this episode of Quiz Quiz, Bank Bang, I've been David.
Speaker 2: Flora, I've Beenani Flora.
Speaker 1: Here's looking at you quiz.
Speaker 2: Realizing that several machines used for making cream filled strawberry shortcakes sat idle when strawberries were out of season, Doer conceived of a snackcake filled with banana cream, which he dubbed Twinkie. He said he came up with a name when he saw billboard in Saint Louis for twinkle toe shoes. He's like, twin gee, that's what it was like. That was there.
Speaker 1: He's like, this food reminds me of