Speaker 1: Yeah, it's another special Sunday Nights nightcap, well.
Speaker 2: Not quite a night cap. It's a little early for most of you.
Speaker 3: For that.
Speaker 1: I'm always ready, Gary Jeff Walker with you just a few minutes after seven o'clock on this Sunday evening, the July sixth, on the home of the Reds, Bad News. Reds louse the series in Philadelphia, a master performance by Zach Wheeler, and you guys have broken that down for the last couple of hours, So won't dwell on the Reds loss. But still they are the only team in the major leagues that has not been swept in a series all season long. And they are still above five hundred, and they are still very very much with an eye to the future. And I'm not talking about next year. I'm talking about this year. Too early to talk about playoffs, but there you go. Speaking of playoffs, there was one in the John Deere Classic. If you don't know, I'm a huge professional golf fan because I'm awful at golf, but I'm great at watching it, and so's my wife, Chris the two point zero. So I start this evening by telling you that I had a wonderful celebration of this country's independence this weekend. And then I'll second that with the fact that I wasn't in Newport, I wasn't in Cincinnati, I wasn't in Blue Ash. Location location, location not only for celebrations, but also real estate.
Speaker 2: And I say that.
Speaker 1: Because, as you may have noted in the news, the Red, White, and Blue Ash end of celebration marred by out of controlled teenagers who apparently were raised by wolves with no parental supervision, shooting off fireworks claiming that they were gun shots and the like. Of course, in Cincinnati in the past week, we had a ten year old child shot and killed. Because of the continuing violence in this city. And a Newport the celebration there on Thursday night, not without a blemish, not without a hitch. When I say location, location, location, Thursday, I was in Newport working Friday, my wife and I because the bar where we work there on Mama Street was amazingly closed on a Friday, Fourth of July, so we went out to our friend's river camp in Patriot, Indiana. Is there any better place to spend the Fourth of July than Patriot, Indiana? Come on, and it was amazing. We'll talk to one of the celebrants who was there in our first half hour tonight, in just a few minutes. And you know, it's all about family, It's all about independence. They have a golf cart parade along the river every Fourth of July and Patriot Indiana. I've actually ridden in it, I've driven. I was almost the Grand Marshal one year. And I don't have a trailer or a camp there. But my friends, the Pasqually brothers and their extended families invited us out since we didn't have anything else to do. And I cannot think of a better way to spend the Fourth of July than under a huge shade tree on the side of a hill overlooking the gorgeous Ohio River, with a bunch of wonderful people and not a bunch of knuckleheads, and of course the red, white and Blue ash again. After a throng of some sixty thousand people enjoyed a wonderful free concert, I'm told by my friend Greg Jones of Billy Gibbons of Zez Top and his band. The end not so fun people, I understand from my friend Greg Jones who went, some of them broke out weapons, kids were shooting fireworks at people, there's some serious problems in our society. Obviously, there always have been, but this just underscores the crowd and the place you choose to be in and I choose whenever I get the opportunity to go. It is far away from major cities, whether it be Cincinnati or anywhere else in this country, because that's where the real people usually are. Today, my friend Chris Gohens and I played our continuing Farewell Tour series playing some music at Brookie Saloon on Main Street and Ripley, Ohio. Again far away from the maddening crowd. But there was a crowd there because of course they are gathering at Brookies on a daily basis for the rest of the week until Wednesday night for the Queen of Hearts drawing that will probably be in excess of one point five million dollars. When they draw the last four cards, someone will win. They had to cut off ticket sales at three o'clock because they simply could not handle the crowd that was there.
Speaker 2: There was a line out the door.
Speaker 1: The streets of Ripley are clogged with traffic from all of the tri State. After local media outlets publicize the fact that there was a million dollar draw this past week that was not one.
Speaker 2: Somebody is going to win a lot of money next Wednesday night.
Speaker 1: If you're there, you get it all minus the irs, and there's a cut I guess for the organization that runs it. And then if you're not there and you have a ticket and it's drawn and you have the Queen of Hearts, it will be worth half of what that jackpot is minus all those other things I mentioned. And we played music and we had a great time. Hello to Ron who was at the bar. Hello to Pat from Dayton, Hello to Ed Doug and Angie Bohnson, Brian McLeod and other people that it was like old Home week and it was wonderful.
Speaker 2: Again.
Speaker 1: Location, location, location, And why can't everywhere, including Cincinnati or Newport or Blue Ash be as tranquil and as well mannered as places like Ripley, Ohio or Patriot, Indiana. I don't have the answer, but I'm just curious. I got some sad news to so I'm gonna save that till later because someone that is well beloved in northern Kentucky passed away today and I've not spoken to the family, so I don't know how much I can say but I will talk about that before we're done. Up next to guy you may have heard with Willie from time to time. He is known simply on the radio as Brett from Dell High. And again he was at that River Camp celebration in Patriot, Indiana on Friday. And we'll get his perspective on being a resident of Cincinnati and then being able to be privileged enough or lucky enough or smart enough to hang out in a place like Patriot. We'll do that next on seven hundred WLW. If you do business or live in a large met will is an area anywhere in the country, chances are you face certain obstacles and hurdles that you don't face in the hitherlands, in counties that are outside of big city. And as I was mentioning in the opening, my time in Switzerland County on the fourth of July, the couple of hours that my wife and I spent out there with our friends, the Pisquallys and their friends was so choice and so different than a lot of other people's experiences if they were closer to the city. This guy lives in del High, but he parties in Patriot just like we did. And I had a chance to see him again. We saw him a few years ago at a similar celebration for Independence Day, and he always has some pretty cogent thoughts on what's going on in society and especially in Cincinnati. So I wanted to bring him on for a few minutes just to talk about his experiences in the challenges that we all face if we do business in the city. Known as only Brett from Dell High for our purposes. Here he is on the telephone. Brett, how are you doing good?
Speaker 4: Gary, Jeff, how are you.
Speaker 2: It's great to have you on.
Speaker 1: Man. I've talked to you before in the year. I know that you've spoken with Willie on several occasions, and I appreciate your insight and your acumen on the challenges and the problems that you may face if you do business, say in Cincinnati, for example, since that is your experience, So tell me.
Speaker 2: What you can about.
Speaker 1: Sure why you think that Cincinnati could be a far finer place than it is.
Speaker 2: Absolutely?
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know, thanks for having me on. I appreciate the opportunity. But yeah, I I you know so. I'm a demolition and excavation contractor, very small business, been in business for twenty five years as of this year, so I've defied the odds despite UH having to deal with organizations like the City of Cincinnati government.
Speaker 5: Just recently.
Speaker 3: You know, I had I had employees years ago, and I've just taken someone on in the last six months.
Speaker 2: So basically I'm a two man operation.
Speaker 4: So I'm about I'm about as small as you can get, no doubt.
Speaker 3: And in the City of Cincinnati has an SBE program, which is a small business Enterprise. Now, I was a City of Cincinnati registered small business enterprise when I was in my twenties, when I was just transitioning out of the landscape business and into the demolition and excavation business. Right and to qualify as an SPE, I mean, they really do a deep dive into you, and you really need an office staff to complete it. It took me over a month in the winter during my slow season to submit everything that the city needed to be an SPE, and I did. I was successful in becoming an SPE. And what that did was that helped me get into city work because, for example, thirty percent of the City of Cincinnati's construction contracts have to go to an SPE have to go to an SPE. Another percentage has to go to an NBA, a minority owned business that could be either a female or an African American that renews every so many years. And it's not just a simple renewal, it's basically a whole other deep dive and you know, another eighty hours of you gathering all kinds of information and forums and submitting it. So I actually lost my SPE because one of the core requirements to be an SPE is you can't have a net worth of over seven hundred and fifty thousand dollars. So I don't know how many married couples because it includes your spouse's networth, I don't know how many married couples that have three jobs between us that business, my full time my other full time job, my wife has a full time job. We just simply don't qualify. We have a networth of over seven hundred and fifty thousand dollars. So I despite being a two man operation and no longer an SPE. But it's funny you'll still see companies doing work for the city that do qualify as an SPE. And you can drive by a job site and see that that company that is somehow an SPE, just on one job site has over a million dollars worth of trucks and equipment.
Speaker 1: So it's well, well, it would seem it would seem then that they have an overall worth of more than seven hundred and fifty thousand dollars spread, wouldn't it.
Speaker 3: Huh, clearly and easily, And obviously it's it's it's just how well can you play the game. I don't have the time, the resources, and you know, resources being a lawyer, to funagle the system to do that. So that's a real disconcerting thing that the problem with that, and this is you know, I'm glad you had me on because what people don't realize is I recently I come highly recommended by arson investigators in the city of Cincinnati, the crime scene Unit of the Cincinnati Police Department, and the Building Department, because when suspicious fires happen where there may be bodies that need to be recovered and it's too dangerous to send people in, they'll call me in the middle of the night and I've got an hour to get there with a thirty five thousand pound excavator and a truck and work with FIU and the crime scene in the corner and dig through buildings and recover bodies and try to preserve the crime scenes as much as possible with heavy equipment.
Speaker 5: So I have a very good relationship with.
Speaker 3: Some building inspectors, and the building in spectors called me and said, hey, why aren't you bidding on all this city work. You know we're tearing down over one hundred houses a year. I said, because I'm not an spe And I was like, well, what's that got.
Speaker 4: To do with anything?
Speaker 3: I said, all of your demo contracts have to be an sbe They're like, oh, I think we can get around that because there's not that many people bidding on them.
Speaker 5: Just put some bids in on them.
Speaker 4: So I go out.
Speaker 3: I waste a lot of time traveling all across the city, look at about fifteen properties, put in these bids.
Speaker 4: Lo and behold.
Speaker 3: You can watch through the procurement process on online where the bids come in at and I'm low bitter on several of them. I get a note back from purchasing even though I'm the low bidder, even though I'm a two man operation, I can't have these contracts. They're going to go to a higher bidder. The taxpayers are are going to pay a higher amount to raise these buildings and refurbish these properties just because of this simple red tape.
Speaker 1: Well, and you know this is this is not uncommon again in these I think one of the great things. And I haven't picked apart every piece of the so called big beautiful bill which I see bad things and good things in it that just passed that President Trump signed on Friday, But one of the key components is deregulation, and we need to look at that in a broader sense all across the country if we want good people to be doing good work without all of these with all of these obstacles placed in front of people. Like I said, I would think that the fire Investigative Unit and the work you've done with the Cincinnati Police and everything else would alone kind of flag your business as a must for the city of Cincinnati. But because of all the nitpicking and as you mentioned, and you very eloquently describe the obstacles you're facing as a small business owner have to face. We not only need to be taxed less, we all need to be regulated less by absolutely by these bureaucracies that these bureaucracies that stand in the way of real progress. These some of these people call themselves progressives and all they are are regressive in almost every sense of the word.
Speaker 4: Absolutely.
Speaker 3: I mean, I work with a lot of realtors who will bring me a person and say, hey, you know, we're looking at this building on Eastern Avenue. We want to we want to tear this building down and we want to build this facility for our business. And I'll look at it and I'll and i'll, you know, give them the pricing and everything. And I always, I always look them in the eye and I say, you know, if you will just move another mile and a half east into Anderson Township, you're gonna save months on your construction, which is gonna save you thousands on your construction loan. And you're gonna save so much stress with not having to deal with Cincinnati City of Cincinnati building inspections versus dealing with Hamilton County, which they're not perfect, but they are way better than Cincinnati. And just for a simple example, when I pull a demo permit a wrecking permit in the City of Cincinnati, say for a fifteen hundred square foot wood frame single family house, that permit in the City of Cincinnati is gonna cost me about three hundred and eighty nine dollars and then it'll take at least six weeks to get it, and all it is is a piece of paper. They don't come out, They don't have to schedule anyone to come out and watch me wreck this house. They don't they come out at the end to make sure that I put seed and straw down and that the lot will not hold wat.
Speaker 1: It is a pure bureaucratic money, Brett, and we know it. You know it, and listen. I'm sorry, I wish we had more time, but I'm running up against the news. But man, I am so glad you were on tonight to talk about this because I know you're not the only person dealing with it, obviously. And all I can say in closing, Brett is when you look at the red tape and the bureaucracy and just the literal inequality in their practices. Yeah, look no further than Karen Bass in the city of Los Angeles, with people wanting to rebuild their homes in the wake of the Palisades fires, for example.
Speaker 2: It's disgusting.
Speaker 1: You know, the President promised to help and Karen Bass and the government there in Los Angeles is standing in the way of progress. The progressives are standing in the way of progress once again, Brett, thank you so much for your time and it was great to see you on on Friday. You all right up next, one of my all time favorites, the fur Ball, joins us on a special Sunday Night Almost Nightcap on seven hundred WLW. He was mentioning the gang in Ripley today at Brookies Queen of Hearts ticket sales and May and Chris Going's farewell concert until the next one. A shout out to my friend Scott Snyder, who suffered a horrific life changing snowmobile accident back during snowmobile season. And for the first time that I've seen Scott in months today look great, no crutches, no leg brace, no wheelchair. And he was there too, and it was a blessing. Praise God to see him and praise God for this guy even though he's Jewish, but I mean Jewish people believe in God. I haven't had a chance to talk to him as often as I like to because, of course the Reds take over my usual nightcaps life that's on Monday and Tuesday night. I will have her be on unless they change the schedule. On me and greatly upset me on July fourteenth and fifteenth during the All Star break. And by the way, congrats to La Da La Cruz back on the All Star team for the National League for the second year in a row. I'm talking, of course, about the Maven. He is like the king of Cincinnati sports talk radio for his many years of service here on seven hundred WLW, and these days he is on Fox Sports thirteen sixty. You can hear him on Sunday mornings from six to nine, and you can hear him right now, the fur Ball himself, Andy Furman. Good evening for a ball.
Speaker 5: Good evening. It's great on a Sunday, easny to wrap up a holiday weekend. And I got to ask you a question. First of all, hope you had a great Fourth of July weekend. I gotta believe. Also, I'm not that smart, but I think July bought this passed. And there's those shooting fireworks in my neighborhood. Why does it stop? One of those guys? No, look, look, I'm not a gruffy old guy, and stop that.
Speaker 1: Really tell me, Andy, when when you have a Fourth of July that falls on a Friday, that makes it a fourth of July weekend, and and the weekend is not over yet. As long as they're not shooting fireworks at you. Are they shooting fireworks at you?
Speaker 4: No?
Speaker 5: No, the guy I bought it my windows up, they not. I can't even look windows up for fourth series. Oh yeah, I did. I got to run this by you, all right, because you you were the man of intelligence.
Speaker 4: I mean, you will give me the answer, right, I'll try.
Speaker 5: This thing on the fourth of July. Is not the fireworks. I mean, fireworks are great. I love fireworks, But it's the Nathan's famous hot dog gaining context. Oh my god, Champions, Joey George Testna, he was the guy the Fendi Champions. He won it. He consumed like seventy and a half hot dogs in ten minutes. His rector was seventy six back of twenty twenty one.
Speaker 4: Here's the question.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no, what you're saying, hold on, but before before where you get to your question about Joey Chestnut. His record is seventy six, So he's lost a few miles off of his fastball, hasn't he.
Speaker 5: Well, he was wrong. I mean, I think it's the most disgusting event in the world because I watched them ready to stick my singer down my throat, puke. They're shoving hot those down they would water and buns. But I just want to see why they do it, who's doing it, and whatever it may be. But the question I have for you and you'll have the answer, is hot talk eating a sport? No, it's on the pull letter network? Is it considered a sport?
Speaker 1: Well, understand that the four letters in ESPN Entertainment and Sports Programming Network, and some people consider that entertainment. So no, no, no it is. It is not a sport. It is, well, I say, a disgusting spectacle.
Speaker 4: Right, it's an event.
Speaker 5: But you know, a sport to me has to have competition versus perhaps time and requires training, which he does.
Speaker 1: Well, Okay, all of those components go into hot dog eating. There's no doubt about it.
Speaker 5: Right, Okay, But the big question is this is Joey Chest and would.
Speaker 4: You consider him an athlete? Is he an athlete? And I looked that up too.
Speaker 5: An athlete is a person who is proficient in sports and other forms of physical exercises, right, also participating in organized competitions. All right, They typically possess physical strength, speed, agility, and stamina and maybe professional or amateur. So again, I would have to say Joey Chestnut would be considered an athlete.
Speaker 1: Right, So you're saying that hot dog eating competitions are in fact sports number one and are in fact, by definition that people who participate in them are athletes.
Speaker 2: That's what you're telling me.
Speaker 5: And I tell you why I brought this up. I'm leading up to something, of course, Hope, because he's dominated this event. He's one of seventeen times.
Speaker 1: He's the goat of cram and hot dogs and down your going ing.
Speaker 4: Here's the deal.
Speaker 5: If in fact he's the goat, I think they should build a statue with him in front of Nathan's Famous hot Dogs and Coney Allen because they build statues for everybody else. Lebron James is going to get his statue when he retires the Big Old Oscar Robertson as a statue.
Speaker 1: Michael Jordan has a statue which he deserves in front of the United Center in Chicago.
Speaker 5: Yeah, Joey Chess is dominated hot dog eating. They have a statue for him in Coney Island, Brooklyn, New York, in front of Nathan's Famous on surf Avenue.
Speaker 1: There there is no question that Joey Chestnut is the king wiener eater of all time. There's no one, there's no one who surpasses his ability to slide things down his throat like that.
Speaker 4: I'm so happy you agree with me, now, so now.
Speaker 1: But it's not a sport, and he's not an athlete, Andy, he's a freak.
Speaker 2: You know what they they people people come, Andy.
Speaker 1: People used to go to carnivals and circuses to watch people they called geeks bite the head off chickens, and so that was entertaining and people paid to see it. But was it a sport? Were they athletes?
Speaker 4: You're right?
Speaker 2: Well, I mean were they.
Speaker 1: Was there a was there a chicken head biting competition where like one geek would try to best the other by.
Speaker 5: Eighteen the other day to slip the dial? And a pillow tossing event pillow pillow fighting? I think it was called all right, So that's on this.
Speaker 1: Were they were? They were they hot? Were their hot babes pillow fighting?
Speaker 5: No guys, what guy, no, no, no, hold on?
Speaker 2: Hold on.
Speaker 1: June is over, Pride month is over. You can't have guys pillow fighting because the next thing. You know you're going to have pillow biting competitions.
Speaker 5: Probably will, But I'm glad you brought the female aspect of things because I want to run this by Okay, I had a very big discussion with my buddy Bucky Brooks. We did a show on Sunday mornings.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Fox Sports.
Speaker 5: Radio or vocally on thirteen sixty or serious.
Speaker 1: I already I need I need to do it again.
Speaker 5: I need, I really need that my own ego.
Speaker 4: But here's the thing.
Speaker 5: Okay, you see people, specifically guys walking around with jerseys with players' names on the back, and eventually you go to a Bengals game, you see some women with a borrow jersey whatever, Jamar Chase jersey. How big I said, it's the buckie. This is double standing. You will not catch me as much. I enjoy the w n b A, and they have a complete isch right now. I mean, there's nothing else going on.
Speaker 4: It's old w n b A.
Speaker 5: There's no other sport's really going on right now. You know, baseball, but the w n b A has But.
Speaker 1: Baseball Baseball is incredibly more popular than the w n b A.
Speaker 2: Even with Caitlin popularity.
Speaker 5: I'm not talking. I'm talking about because I enjoy watching it. I would never be caught dead in the w n B a jersey with a player's name on the backus. I think that's a little creepy. You know, guy fifty plus of age, we're in a girl's name on the back. But as sooner as a double stated when it could do it, men can't do it.
Speaker 1: I tend to agree with you as a man of a certain age, I'm not going to be wearing. As much as I love Caitlin Clark and love to watch her and thinks she has been just the best thing to ever happen to women's sports. No, not just because I'm in Iowa, from Iowa, It's because I appreciate excellence, and she has achieved some excellence and some notoriety in her first two seasons in the w NBA that are unsurpassed in that league's history. And she has brought that league to national recognition. She's got them off of commercial air flights and to private charters. The salary is going up for women's basketball players. I mean, once they start hitting layups, there's no talent, how much money they'll earn.
Speaker 5: You know what, Kaylen Clock's salary is with the Indiana Fever.
Speaker 1: It's not enough for what she's done for the league. It's not enough from what she's done in the league.
Speaker 5: Yeah, well, she's making millions with endorsements. Are sure she's making as a salary from the Indiana Fever, she makes seventy eight thousand.
Speaker 1: And you know why she's making millions from endorsements because there are fifty year old men walking around with Caitlyn Clark jerseys on.
Speaker 4: Their backs, right.
Speaker 1: And it's absolutely ridiculous. No, no, so ridiculous.
Speaker 5: What Her teammate, Sophie Cunningham was the only one that came out of the woodwork to defend her when Caitlyn was pushed around by the girl and the Connecticut Sun.
Speaker 4: You know, thug.
Speaker 1: That girl's a thug. I don't even I don't know her name, but I don't want to mention her name because she's a thug and she has no business having any kind of recognition at all.
Speaker 2: She's just another game.
Speaker 5: The question where was her teammate Alayah Boston standing up in sanhangas defender?
Speaker 4: Where was Kelsey Mitchell?
Speaker 5: Kelsey Mitchell paid high school basketball person in high school she's a teammate of her in Indiana. None of them stepped up except for Sophie Cunningham, a first year player, and here's the deal his but Sophie got some heat the other day. They asked Sophie about the potential, you know, expansion in the WNBA. They were expanding the Detroit, Cleveland and Philadelphia and Detroit and Cleveland had franchises back in the day. And she said, I wish the NBA, the WNBA would expand to like a more exciting place, like, you know, Miami or Nashville.
Speaker 4: And I agree.
Speaker 5: Oh man, did she get heat? Did the Chamber of Commerce from Detroit put something on X saying, you know what, let me tell you something. She's one thousand percent correct.
Speaker 4: Those cities are hell holes.
Speaker 5: The hellholes they really are.
Speaker 4: Move over to Miami.
Speaker 5: And if I'm a player, I'd rather go to Miami. You know, if you had the opportunity to move to Detroit, would you go? And I said this earlier today on radio. The only two good things, well three things came out of Detroit. They were really good, you know what they were the Temptations, the four Tops and Stevie Wonder. That's the only thing that ever came out here.
Speaker 1: Baby, you betcha. I'm all over Motown, Andy. I love it me too.
Speaker 5: That's it, And I don't have to go to the try to enjoy it. I can listen to the radio.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Well, I mean there are people I know who would differ with your opinion of Detroit.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 1: The areas outside of Detroit are really really nice. No, ye, get to places like that. No, no, no way, I'm not going to Detroit for any reason. In Nashville, Nashville is my old hometown. I would love to see Nashville get more juice than they're already getting right now. It is one of the hottest series in the country.
Speaker 5: So yeah, But here's the deal, buddy, my buddy, Bucky Brooks, in part of set a very smart thing. He says, if you go to Miami or Nashville, there's too many distractions, too many things going on, and they might not be able to draw a crowd. Admitting Detroit, there's nothing else going on on Cleveland, So basically, they'll go watch the w NBA. They'll have people going to the game.
Speaker 4: Twenty years ago, didn't I counted that.
Speaker 1: Andy, twenty years ago? Did you ever think that Nashville be drawing sixteen to eighteen thousand people on home games for professional hockey.
Speaker 4: No, they do.
Speaker 5: I never thought hockey would be successful under the Mason Dixon line. You know, it's a northern sport. I never thought there would be even Miami, you know, not.
Speaker 2: Enough, not enough Canadians there.
Speaker 4: Well, you could be right about that.
Speaker 5: I don't know. Well, they go down there in the winter time, you know, the snowbirds, they go down in the winter time.
Speaker 1: No people from Ohio and Michigan go down there in the winter time.
Speaker 4: The Canadians from New York.
Speaker 1: Well, no, no Canadians. Canadians come here because this is like a sauna compared to what they're dealing with.
Speaker 4: You might be right about that. You might be right about that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I had a question for you, and it relates to something that just happened to me, and it's happened numerous times over the years. On the off chance I go into a fast food restaurant, and I don't go into fast food restaurants very often because I like to eat actual, good, healthy food. And I went into this restaurant just to get a little something to tide me over until I get home. We're having We're having ribs tonight when I get home. So anyway, I stop in just to get a couple of sliders at ARV's and I go inside because there's about five cars in the drive through, and I didn't have a whole lot of time before I had to be here.
Speaker 2: In the studio.
Speaker 1: So I'm behind this woman and she's she's a seasoned citizen like you and I are. She's up there, but she's sitting there talking and she's the only one in line except for me behind her, going looking at the clock, going, you know, I need to get up to the studio. I need to get up to the studio. I know exactly what I want. She doesn't know what she wants. She's arguing with the clerk or the guy at the cash register about the price of small fries, small curly fries, and then she wound up walking away with her phone after taking up five minutes of my valuable time that I didn't have to waste. When you go to a restaurant, when you go to a fast food restaurant, especially a fast food restaurant, you go to that restaurant specifically because you know what you want, whether it's in the drive through or you're at the counter, you should know what No, look, look, look McDonald's, Wendy's, Arby's. You made that choice to go there, so you should know exactly what you want to order. And I understand maybe she's on a fixed income and couldn't ford the seven dollars it was going to cost her, But I work for Iheartmedia' I'm not on a fixed income. I'm on a broken income. My income hasn't been fixed yet. So what I'm saying is, doesn't it drive you nuts to go to especially whether you're waiting in line, somebody pulls up to the window with the drive through and they're sitting there and you can hear the person you're behind them, you can hear the person who's inside to take their order, ask them what they'd like, and they go, I don't know, let me think about it. It's not like they got to take orders from everybody in the car because they're all by themselves. And they still can't figure out when they pulled up to a McDonald's or a Wendy's, when they'd made that decision to go there, what the heck they wanted to order from there? And they're wasting your time, They're wasting their time. It's like make if you make a decision that you're going to Arby's, you should know that you want a beef and cheddar. You should know that they have a lot of choices. I understand. You should know at a McDonald's that you want a big mac. You shouldn't be like lollygagging around and wasting everybody else's time because you can't decide what you want between the happy meal and French fries. For goodness sake.
Speaker 5: You're a thousand percent correctly. And this and this story, I have to lean towards the sign of the young lady because I.
Speaker 2: Actual lady, what happened tonight?
Speaker 5: Okay, you talk about ribs.
Speaker 4: I was going to move for ribs.
Speaker 5: And one of the favorite takeout places that I go to is called Walk and Roll in Independence, Kentucky. I go down there, pick it up, bring it home, all right, And I usually keep their menu in one of my drawers in the house.
Speaker 4: And of the destroy whatever, I went.
Speaker 5: To the destroyer today, I pulled it out. I called it in right, and like I drove over the Walk and Roll and the lady says, what are you talking about?
Speaker 4: And they know me there?
Speaker 5: I said, well, I said, we wanted to see seven. We don't have a c seven of the men. I called a different Chinese restaurant.
Speaker 4: I called the wrong one.
Speaker 5: Really, so I went to Walk and Roll.
Speaker 4: They were great.
Speaker 5: They took my order right there. I waited, and then I looked at myself phone. I saw the num that I had called it to because I said to the women that will Walk and Roll, I said, I called you, and I said, but the number doesn't look the same that's.
Speaker 4: On your menu.
Speaker 5: And I saw, my goodness, I called the wrong Chinese restaurant.
Speaker 4: So I called the other one.
Speaker 5: Your orders ready, I said, I'll be there in ten minutes. So I had to get two dinners.
Speaker 2: Andy.
Speaker 1: This woman knew exactly no, well, she knew exactly where she was. She was at Arby's. There's a big sign and a hat out front, they sir.
Speaker 5: I think is excusable. Anybody could do that, right.
Speaker 2: You made a mistake.
Speaker 1: If you made a mistake that a lot of seniors make, Andy, And maybe there's wait a.
Speaker 5: Minute, anybody could make that mistake.
Speaker 1: Maybe maybe maybe you know your wife, Wendy should think about taking away your keys, here we go.
Speaker 5: She Actually the bottom line is so I got both orders and go over to her own house.
Speaker 1: Andy, thanks for your time tonight. Interesting discussion as always, and I hope there are many many more to come before they put you in a l I'll be listening.
Speaker 5: What happened to the attorney that does this show? Well, you threw him out?
Speaker 4: Was what the deal?
Speaker 5: He took his job though.
Speaker 1: Mike Allen Junior took a night off, I have no idea. I like him too, but I'd rather have me do it because I'm making some money. Get off my phone. Steve Gorham from the Climate Science Coalition coming up after News at eight in Mike Allen Junior's usual slot on a Sunday night, it's Gary Jeff Walker in a special Sunday night cap. Just to tap past eight on this Sunday evening, July sixth, Independence Day weekend continues. And I was just thinking during the break for some reason, no reason apparently, that that's the last thing I need is a podcast about Chapi Cittic Chapiquittic co ed killing Kennedy's I think we all know what happened, like almost sixty years ago. Anyway, I digress. Our next guest has been a frequent guest of mine, and I have him on because he's good. He also happens to be the executive director of the Climate Science Coalition of America, author of four books on energy, climate chain, sustainable development, and public policy, over one hundred thousand copies in print. His latest book green Breakdown, Becoming Renewable Energy Failure, and he is the one and only Steve Gorham. Steve, welcome back to the show.
Speaker 6: How are you hi, Gary, Jeff doing great? Hope you had a great Fourth of July weekend.
Speaker 2: I hope you did too.
Speaker 1: I had just a remarkable Fourth of July weekend because I stayed away from big cities for the most part and got out in the country, out in the real country where the real Americans live. Yes, the eastern half of the United States has seen a big heat wave in the last month or so, and to which for many people claiming that this is because of human greenhouse gas emissions. What's your answer to that, Steve Gorham?
Speaker 2: What do we know? Yeah, we had a lot of headlines.
Speaker 6: We had the estimated one hundred and sixty million people in the Midwest, the South, and the east Coast experienced temperatures that approached one hundred degrees fahrenheit, So it's pretty hot. And you know, whenever we get the first heat waited the summer, we have all these groups talking about.
Speaker 4: Man made global warming always.
Speaker 6: CNN said, quote heat waves are getting more dangerous with climate change. NPR said this was due to a quote burning of coal, oil and gas, and Time stated that heat waves now occurred three times as often in the United States as they did in the nineteen sixties.
Speaker 2: What's the truth, Yeah, the.
Speaker 6: Historical records don't really support that alarm. I like to point people to a National Shounic and Atmospheric Administration NOAH website called State Extremes, and they have the high temperature record and the low temperature record for each state, the rainfall, other things. And when you look at these for the state high temperature records, you find lo and behold that three quarters I'm sorry, thirty six seventy percent, thirty six out of fifty states had their high temperature records set nineteen seventy five or before fifty years ago or older. And Ohio is a particular case. The record there is nineteen thirty four. As I've mentioned, on your show in the past, I think that was one hundred and thirteen fahrenheits in Gallipolis, July twenty first, nineteen thirty four. You look at the surrounding states. Pennsylvania state record was set in nineteen thirty six, West Virginia nineteen thirty six, Kentucky nineteen thirty, Indiana nineteen thirty six, and Michigan nineteen thirty six. And indeed, the decade of the thirties has the most state high temperature records twenty three.
Speaker 5: Out of fifty, almost half.
Speaker 6: But you know, when they write these articles, nobody ever looks back and looks at the data.
Speaker 1: No, Well, the United Nations has said that we are in an era of global boiling.
Speaker 4: We did.
Speaker 1: Our world temperature is really rising the way we're led to be.
Speaker 6: Well, they've been rising, they've been rising gently. Estimates are that about the one point two degrees celsius since eighteen eighty, one hundred and forty years ago, or about two degrees fahrenheit over one hundred and forty years.
Speaker 1: So we're we're not quite to two twelve fahrenheit or one hundred degrees celsius, are we No, we're.
Speaker 4: Not by the way.
Speaker 6: Eighteen eighty is significant because that was really when we hear the first thermometers going to effect. But prior to eighteen eighty, they used things called temperature proxies, things like tree rings and oxygen isotopes and ice cores, that sort of thing, and they can go and these proxies move like temperature, and you know, they're chemical changes that move like temperature. And if you look at that data, you can see that we've had many times in the last ten thousand years, we've had multi century long periods that were warmer than today. And I like to show in my first book, Climatist to my show a picture of a white spruce stump up in the Northwest Territory of Canada that was provided by doctor Tim Ball. And this stump is sitting by itself and they radio carbondated. It's almost five thousand years old, and today it's one hundred kilometers north of the of any other white spruce stump north of the tree line. And that's an indication that back four or five thousand years ago, it was naturally.
Speaker 2: Warmer than today.
Speaker 1: Noah, you mentioned it earlier. The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration predicting an above average hurricane season which just began. Are hurricanes? Are hurricanes? In fact, Steve Gorham getting stronger and more frequent. We hear that all well or not.
Speaker 6: And by the way, you know that the Noah predicts an above average every year.
Speaker 2: They always do that.
Speaker 6: But if you look at their data right out of the Noah site and you plot the hurricanes that have come ashore the hurricane landfalls by decade, you find that the number of hurricanes has actually been slightly declining. Now we used to get about fifteen to twenty per decade in the nineteen hundreds, and now they're running somewhat less. The line has been trending down, so the hurricanes we have coming ashore has actually fallen over the last one hundred and twenty years. There's also data. A signis by name of Ryan Maui, a meteorologist. I use a satellite data to track the number of these.
Speaker 4: Are now worldwide.
Speaker 6: Cyclones, and he finds that the number of tropical storms has not been increasing. They've been looking since about nineteen seventy these satellites. The number hurricane caynes is about the same. It goes up and down, but hasn't really changed. Same thing with major hurricanes, so the data really doesn't show that we're getting either more storms or they're getting stronger.
Speaker 1: Friday, President Trump signed the One Big Beautiful Bill. Does the passage and I know there was a lot of debate about this with contracts and construction that had already begun. Does it mean the end of renewable energy in the United States in your opinion.
Speaker 6: Well, it's going to take a big chunk out of it. You know, we've been subsidizing wins since about nineteen ninety two with production tax credits, investment tax credits, outright grants, and also loans, and then under the Biden administration, the amount of subsidies went up by about a factor of five with the Inflation Reduction Act all the way up to one hundred billion dollars a year in subsidies for renewables and stretching out over ten years, that's more than a trillion dollars. But now the Big Beautiful Bill is cutting all of those. You have to start a project and generate electricity. I think it's by twenty twenty eight or you lose your subsidies. And then they've also cut the the seventy five dollars federal tax credit for electric vehicles that's going to end by the end of September. And that's going to be a big issue for evs as well. So what Trump in the Congress has done is really going to hamper renewable growth in the US. It's going to have to fight away all the renewable folks say that wind and solar is the cheapest form of electricity, but then one sentence later they say, yeah, but you can't cut all these subsidies for it.
Speaker 1: Well, yeah, and it's cheaper for them because and from the people who are buying the evs and the like, because the rest of the tax base is paying for it under a false narrative that fossil fuels are killing the planet.
Speaker 2: What do you think will be the impact? And you know, this is the thing Steve.
Speaker 1: Wonder of wonders, when Elon Musk read the one big, beautiful bill and saw this happening, that he was suddenly adversely against it. You know that he was in favor of, you know, whatever cutting and there are some large trillion dollar cuts in this bill, and he was ahead of Doge. But when he found out this seventy five hundred dollars EV subsidy was going to be eliminated. You think that may have turned Elon Musk against the president and against those who were who were voting for this.
Speaker 6: I don't know if that was it or not. There's gonna be some big impacts with Tesla, no doubt. You know, he's been a great guy. He's probably been one of the greatest innovators in history with SpaceX and all the other things. Yeah, but this is going to hit Tesla pretty hard. Not only this seventy five hundred dollars which will make Edie's more expensive. But the other thing that happened in June was that President Trump signed an executive order blocking California's resolution for one hundred percent EV sales by twenty thirty five. And by the way, eleven states have copied that. And they have been operating on a waiver from the EPA for many years which allows them to do pollution laws. But that waiver is now being revoked.
Speaker 5: So the way this hits Tesla is.
Speaker 6: What you had to do in California before is you had to sell a certain percentage of electric vehicles or you had to buy these credits from other ed manufacturers, and Tesla got over a billion dollars a year in credits that they sold other companies and that may go away now as well. So it's not only the seventy five hundred dollars but also all these credits. Governor Newsom is now suing the federal government to try and get this back. But I think it's going to be kind of a tough road, so a tough thing for or Tesla, And you know, we're gonna have to get back to eb's that competing and whoever wants when that's great, but we're with this idea that we're going to force everybody that that's going away.
Speaker 1: Finally, Steve Gorum, isn't it true that in times of global cooling more people have suffered and died than in times of global so called global warming.
Speaker 2: Isn't that a fact?
Speaker 4: Well, I think that's true.
Speaker 6: Yeah, we had a little ice age and we had a matter of fact, we had the Thames River fro solid. It hasn't done that more than one hundred years. And cold weather is worse for people. Our flu seasons are doing it during the cold months from October to March in the northern hemisphere and during the cold months in the southern hemisphere made to August, more people get sick in the winter. Almost every country shows that COVID more COVID cases in the winter than the summer. And then we have many papers that tell us that more people die during cold months and warm month, so we get a little bit warmer. Actually it's actually better for people. So you're right, that's another idea that the whole fear of warming is just misplaced.
Speaker 1: The book is Green Breakdown, The Coming Green Breakdown, and it's still available. Steve Gorham is the author, also the executive director of the Climate Science of Coalition and our guest, and such a pleasure to have you as all with Steve.
Speaker 2: Thank you for your time tonight.
Speaker 6: Thank you Gary, Jeff.
Speaker 1: You bet you eight nineteen and a quick PostScript of some sad news I received today and I'd like to talk about that with you, and in just a moment. I believe in eternal life, not in this world, in this life, but I do believe in eternal life. We all think at a certain point, many of the times when we're younger, that we are going to actually live forever. The reality of our mortality, though, becomes more and more apparent the longer we do live and time, gravity and friction come calling, and you may be going through a loss of a loved one or someone else that was close to you that has passed recently. It happens all the time. But today, in the middle of what was a pretty good day, a reality that I knew was knocking on the door finally made its way to my phone when I found out that a deer man named Charlie Kemplin passed. Charlie was a titan of business in Fort Thomas for the majority of a life.
Speaker 2: He owned.
Speaker 1: At one time it was Pasqually's Pizza in Fort Times, which is the location of where Fort Thomas Peat is now well. He also owned and operated a marathon carry out in Fort Thomas for decades and a restaurant bar in the same neighborhood. And he had tanning beds, and everybody in northern Kentucky who's been around Northern Kentucky for the last fifty years probably has a Charlie Kemplin story. Charlie had been ill recently. The last time I got to see him at the bar where I work was before June tenth. That was the last time I saw it, and I had the feeling as Charlie walked out that day that the last smile, the last hug I had with Charlie was going to be the last one I would I would have with him in this life.
Speaker 2: And I found out that he passed today.
Speaker 1: And the legacy of Charlie Kemplin is left in his three wonderful children, whom I've all had the privilege to me, and all the friends that he has left here who are waiting to see him again in the next life. But John and Lisa and Terry and Lisa's spouse Andy, and Terry's spouse Bob. I think John's married too. They are going to be left to pick up the pieces, as we all are when someone that we love passes on. And I just cannot say enough about the impact that Charlie Kemplin had on everyone who met him over the years. Such a great guy, such a and you say nice things about somebody when they passed because you don't want to speak ill of the dead. There's I don't think that there's anybody around Northern Kentucky who I knew Charlie Kemplin who have anything bad to say about him. The guy was a true ace in every respect, and when he lost his wife, I think going on eight nine years ago, oftentimes that was all he would talk about. He would talk about wanting to be with Marianne again, and I pray that he is with his beloved Marianne again tonight. But I just wanted to take a few moments here at the end of the program. I didn't want to start with this because it's kind of a downer, but I also wanted to add that if you were going through a personal loss right now, if you have suffered and are suffering through the grief of someone that has left us in this realm, in this life, I just want you to know the number one not only are you not alone, because we all go through it, but we're here for you, and don't be afraid to share that grief, and don't be afraid to embrace the joy that those people brought to you while they were here. And tonight I am embracing the joy that came in with Charlie Camplon every time as a customer of mine, as someone who became a friend, and he was a friend to so many and so many people truly loved Charlie. So I again, if you're going through this, try and remember every little bit of joy that that person brought to your life, and know that because they were in your life, you carry a piece of their personality, of their spirit, of their wisdom with you every day. And if you talk to God like I do, if you pray, people might think you're weird for talking to someone that they can't see. Believe me, the peace that comes through prayer, in my communications with God, my personal relationship, they're more real than a lot of conversations I have with people who are standing right in front of me. And I'm so glad that Charlie Kemplin was one of those people who stood right in front of me and it was real and it was good, and yeah, we'll miss him. I heart Cincinnati. Coming up next after the news as eight thirty.
Speaker 2: Have a good night,