Speaker 1: You're listening to KFI AM six forty wake Up Call with me Amy King on demand on the iHeartRadio.
Speaker 2: App k f I and kost HD two, Los Angeles, Orange County.
Speaker 3: That a good call, your host, Amy Kay.
Speaker 1: Good morning. It's five o'clock. Straight up. This is your wake up call for Wednesday, April second. I'm Amy King. We're live everywhere on the iHeartRadio app and glad you're starting your day with us. I have to say, woke up to sad news. Val Kilmer has died. I know, right. I don't know why it's you know they it's bothering me. Maybe because he was sixty five. Maybe it's because he was iceman. But what an incredible actor? What he really He hasn't done a lot lately. His last movie was Top Gun two Maverick. So yeah. On a happier note, I came outside today to drive to work and a street light that had been out for about three weeks is back on. I know it sounds so silly, but you know how you hear that, like there's streets and sidewalks need repair, and street lights are out and stuff. I heard John Colebelt talking about how street lights are out all over the city, and I was like, that light's never coming back on. And when you come outside and it's for me, it's like three fifteen in the morning, and it's this eerie darkness when you don't have that light on your street. So I felt I felt comforted this morning. So I mean, like, yay, the city is making repairs. I'm happy. Okay, got lots ahead on wake up call, so let's get right to it. It's back to square one when it comes to fighting homelessness in La County. The county Board of Supervisors voted yesterday to pull funding from the joint City Councy City County La Homeless Services Authority and will transfer the money to its own department for Regional Homeless Services. The new agency should be in placed by New Year's Day. A mall in the Pacific Palisades could reopen by early next year. Developer Rick Caruso, who owns the Palisades Village Complex, says the mall is still standing after the wildfires, but it's surrounded by destruction. Gruso says he's hoping to reopen the mall in its forty two businesses once the area around it is cleaned up. And safe. One of the four soldiers killed in a military training accident in Lithuania was from Glendale. Sergeant EDVN. Franco was one of four out on a technical training mission for the first Armored Brigade Combat Team. The team and its vehicle had been missing almost a week when the armored vehicle was pulled from a swampy area on the training grounds. A new prime benefit that's going to save you some money at the gas station. We're going to tell you about that. And if you're planning to travel this summer, Rich Demiro is going to tell us how to avoid massive roaming charges on your cell phone. Also coming up this hour on wake Up Call, trees glorious trees in celebration of Earth Month and Arbor Day, you can get free trees in LA. We'll tell you how when we talk with the CEO of the Arbor Day Foundation. And Huntington Beach is going to the dogs. Corgis specifically, thousands of them are going to hit the beach this weekend. We're going to tell you all about that. Let's get started with some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. LA County has approved the creation of its own homeless department.
Speaker 4: The county's funding to the La Homeless Services Authority will end in July of next year. Its own homeless department should be opened by January. Supervisor Lindsay Horbath says losses, financial mismanagement issues prompted the need for a change.
Speaker 5: This moment is about the county taking the dollars that taxpayers have entrusted to us and investing them.
Speaker 1: In what works.
Speaker 4: The vote essentially defunds LASSO, which is co managed with the City of La Multiple La City Council members showed up at the county meeting begging the supervisors not to break up. Michael Monks KFI News.
Speaker 1: He was brought to you by Sempercellaris. The La County Board of Supervisors has approved the use of vacant lots clear to fire debris Altadena to be used for pop up commercial and retail shops, including restaurants. The county will consider applications for up to five years. Supervisors also approved post wildfire economic plans to hire hundreds of young people through the Youth at Work program, establish a Shop Local awareness program, and create a small business loan program. A Marine vet wants to be the next La County Sheriff. Oscar Martinez is a Sheriff's lieutenant assigned to the Palmdale station. He's expected to announce this afternoon that he's running for sheriff in twenty twenty six. His campaign says he is running to restore the office to its true and rightful purpose, serving the people with integrity, independence, and a relentless focus on public safety, not political agendas. Two bills to ban transgender athletes from girls and women's sports in California been voted down by a state Assembly committee.
Speaker 6: Orange County assembly Woman Kate Sanchez's bill was written to ensure only females can play on female sports teams. Sanchez tells kfi's John Cobelt. Despite the opposition to her bill, what she's trying to do makes sense.
Speaker 5: It is an eighty percent issue. No one asked for exposure. They're protecting is the right thing to do.
Speaker 6: The second bill was authored by Corona Assemblyman Bill Saley. It was to amend the California Education Code. Deborah mark koffi News Time.
Speaker 1: To say good morning to ABC's Stephen portnoy So. Stephen, there were a couple of state elections yesterday that a lot of people around the country were keeping their eyes on. First there were the two House seats up for grabs in Florida, and then there was Wisconsin. So tell us what happened in Wisconsin.
Speaker 7: Well, Wisconsin race involved an open seat on the state Supreme Court, and this was a race that attracted national attention and big money. Elon Musk personally poured more than twenty million dollars into the state to support the GOP backed candidate, Judge Brad Shimmel against Democratic backed candidate Judge Susan Crawford. Last night, Crawford decisively beat Shimmel, so the four to three liberal balance on the Wisconsin Supreme Court will stay in place. What's interesting is Elon Musk said that the fate of Western civilization was at stake in this election, and he gave out million dollar checks to entice voters to attend his events as he supported Shimmel. Now overnight, he said he always expected to lose, expected Shimmel to lose, which may be, you know, a way to cover his position here, but he says that nothing's worth Essentially, I'm paraphrasing, you know, nothing's worth losing without putting your own personal stake in it. I think that ultimately it's being viewed as a harbinger or perhaps you know, a canary in a coal mine in terms of, you know, the MAGA movement and how much support it truly has in the Trump era without Trump on the ballot. And that's an open question. But we'll see as the year drags on. The open gubernatorial races in Virginia and New Jersey will be tell it because those off year elections right after a presidential election are viewed by political reporters because we have little else to talk about as a sign of where things are in the country.
Speaker 1: Okay, so, Stephen, why it was a state Supreme court spot, It wasn't a national spot. Why was it such a big deal?
Speaker 7: The way that things have worked in the state of Wisconsin when it comes to congressional districts being drawn, the court has had outsized involvement in that over the decades, and not just the state Supreme Court but also the federal courts. And both sides believe that a continued four to three ideological balance tilted to the left on the Wisconsin Supreme Court will advantage the Democrats if they bring another court challenge to the way the district lines have been drawn in the state of Wisconsin. And if that happens and in the next let's just say twenty twenty six congressional elections, the balance of you know, the lines are drawn to favor the Democrats, and let's just say a couple of swing districts go from red to blue. Nationally, the balance of power in the House of Representatives could be affected. And so the Democrats are eager to have that fight and to have that fight land at the feet of a liberally inclined Supreme Court. Republicans fear that, and that's why they wanted Brad Shimmel on the court. But they lost yesterday.
Speaker 1: Now you can see why both sides are pretty what's the passionate about this, Because, like you were saying, the balance of power is so close that two seats could change the power.
Speaker 7: Well, I mean, look, and that's why we should very briefly talk about the results in Florida yesterday, because in the two districts to succeed Matt Gates and Mike Waltz, you had Republicans winning holding those seats, but the margin of victory for the Republicans is about fifteen points in each of the districts, in both of the districts, and those were places that Donald Trump won by like thirty points or more. And so if the Democrats can make that kind of headway in those deep red districts, what could it mean nationally in the midterm elections next year about a year and a half from now. The Democrats are excited about the idea that there's this disappointment in the country about what President Trump is doing, and today could be a flashpoint in that as he announces the tariffs from the Rose Garden this afternoon.
Speaker 1: Okay, Stephen Portno with ABC, thank you so much for your information. As always, talk too soon, you bet. Let's get back to some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four our newsroom. Speaking of those tariffs. More of President Trump's tariffs are a taking effect today. Companies importing goods will pay the costs, and businesses they say, we'll likely have to pass on those costs to consumers. White House Press Secretary Caroline Levitt says the tariffs will be effective immediately. You should trust what this president did for you in his first term.
Speaker 2: He effectively utilized tariffs while driving down in Fleetion.
Speaker 8: It was a record low one point four percent when he left office.
Speaker 1: Trump is scheduled to announce the plans later today at the Rose Garden. Though White House has admitted it wrongly deported a man to the notorious prison in El Salvador, calling in an administrative error, ABC's Pore Thomas says the man had been living in Maryland with his wife and five year old son.
Speaker 9: Lawyers for the Salvadorian man, Kilmar Armando Abrego Garcia, are petitioning for his immediate return. They say at Bregor Garcia was removed against a twenty nineteen judges order preventing him from being sent back to his home country, but.
Speaker 1: That judge in twenty nineteen also found the man was likely a member of the MS thirteen gang. The Justice Department says there's little it can do to get the man back from El Salvador. Israel's defense minister says his country plans to seize large areas of Gaza, Trent Murray, and Tel Aviv. Reports Israel's expanding its military operation in the region.
Speaker 3: Saying that troops will move to clear areas of quote, terrorists and infrastructure, as well as capture extensive territory that will be added to the state of Israel's security areas.
Speaker 1: Israel's defense ministers called on the people of Gaza to expel Jimas and return all hostages. The terror group is still holding fifty nine hostages, but only twenty four are believed to still be alive. Palestinian media reported a large wave of air strikes overnight and an advancement of Israeli troops in the South. The rescue teams in the capital of me and Mar say they have pulled a survivor from the rubble of a hotel that collapsed in last week's seven point seven magnitude earthquake. The man is the second person found alive in the rubble in recent days. Officials say he was trapped for one hundred and eight hours. Rescuers used a jackhammer to make a hole in a floor and pulled him out. Federal lawmakers are pushing to get whole milk back in school.
Speaker 2: A requirement was instituted during the Obama administration for skim and low fat milk in schools to cut kids consuming saturated fat, which can increase risk of heart disease and obesity. Health Secretary Robert F. Kennedy Junior called the low fat milk guideline antiquated.
Speaker 1: Kyf's Brian Shook says one of the lawmakers helped to lead the milk legislation is Pennsylvania Democratic Senator John Fetterman. He says kids need wholesome, nourishing food to grow strong and grow healthy. I don't know about you. Whole milk to me tastes like drinking cream yep. But I grew up with it, and then we switched to non fat, so we shall see. I want to invite you to join us this Sunday it's Wiggle Waggle walked down. We're just like a few days away now, Sunday, April sixth, We're going to do the Wiggle Waggle Walk and Run for Pasadena Humane. It's happening at Brookside Park at the Rose Bowl and we would love for you to grab your pup and come join us and walk around the Rose Bowl. The weather's going to be absolutely perfect and we need to help need your help, quite honestly, to raise money for Pasadena Humane who not only all the time, does great work to keep animals and treat animals and get them ready to get into their forever homes. But the need is especially great because of the Eating fire, where they took in like more than fifteen hundred animals and treated them and housed them and treated their burns and just took care of them and did such great work and also provided supplies to people who lost their homes and needed food to feed their animals. I mean, they're just doing fantastic work. So we're so proud to partner up with them for this. We have a team, it's called the Wake Up Call Wigglers, and we've just I've noticed that there's some more people joining and I'm so excited. We're going to do all kinds of fun stuff along with the walk. There's a vendor area, there's food trucks, there's training demonstrations, and there's also the dog costume contest, which is very popular and we get some really cute costumes every year. So if you can join us, we would love to have you do so. If you can't join us and just want to make a donation, our goal is ten thousand dollars and we're getting there. We're not there yet, but if you could spare five bucks, ten bucks, fifty bucks, one thousand bucks. Whatever you can donate, we would love it. Very easy to do join the team or donate at KFIAM six forty dot com, slash wiggle, KFI AM six forty dot com slash wiggle. There's also links up. I just posted it on my Instagram and the KFI Instagram. So easy to find, easy to donate, and easy for you to join us on Sunday, April sixth for the Wiggle Waggle Walk and Run for Pasadena Humane. I'll thank you in advance. In the Lacity Council's passed a right to Council ordinate for renters, finalizing a two year effort to provide tenants facing eviction with legal representation. A one two punch for the Republicans in Florida's Jimmy Patrona SA has won a special election to phil former Republican Congressman Matt Gates's seat. State Senator Randy Fine won the other seat in the US House. It was left vacant when Mike Waltz was appointed as President Trump's National security advisor. Want to be impressed? How about this? An eighteen year old woman has been sworn in as a deputy District attorney Sophia Park's been working in the Tulare County DA's office since last year, after she became the youngest person ever to pass the California Bar exam. Park got her law degree at Northwestern California University the School of Law. She's been assigned to the Visalia Prosecution Division. Yeah, I feel like an underachiever of big time at six oh five at TENDL on the news. It is liberation dailiest. That's what President Trump is calling it. Right now, let's say good morning to the host of Rich on Tech on KFA are very own Rich DeMuro. Good morning, Rich.
Speaker 10: I thought you were going to say, speaking of underachievers, welcome Rich.
Speaker 1: No, No, I don't think you are. I mean, look at you. You've got a syndicated radio show, you're right here on KFI, You're on KTLA all the time, and you give us great advice.
Speaker 10: Well, let's hope we can do some of that today. We want to talk about first.
Speaker 1: I want to talk about Amazon Primes new perk.
Speaker 10: Yeah, so this is they announced this. I think it was like last year perhaps, but now it's available to sign up for. You can now if you're a Prime member, save ten cents a gallon at about seven thousand BP, which I don't think we have around here Amaco, which I don't think we have around here, but we do have AMPM stations. So basically, if you're a Prime member, you go to AMPM, you can now save ten cents a gallon. This is an ongoing perk from Amazon part of your Prime account. Amazon says that members, if they drive the average national average, they can save up to seventy dollars a year, which is half the cost of a Prime membership. The thing you have to do is go to Amazon dot com slash Fuel Savings and you basically just link up your your Prime account to this new system and there you go.
Speaker 1: Okay, So here's my question. If I have a credit card on my Prime account and AMPM gives you that, you know you pay less if you use a debit card, Are you using a credit card or can you link your debit card to it?
Speaker 10: It looks like you can link any card so you can pay. You can. Actually you have to sign up through this app. I've not done it myself, so I don't know, but I would guess that whatever card you want to use, you can use. Remember when ampm R Cooe didn't take credit cards like you had to like use that weird machine in the middle like anyway. But yeah, so a lot of people have been debating the merits of this program on my social media saying, you know, maybe Costco is still a better deal. You know, Ralph's has their rewards. So I think the bottom line is like, do what's best for you. So I use that upside app when i'm you know, when I fill out my wife's car at the pump, and it does save some money cost Go. You know, if you don't mind waiting in line, you can save money there. So you know, it's just another option available.
Speaker 1: I love options. I love options. Okay, so I am going to be traveling myself. So I was particularly interested in this one that you had you had offered up, and that was that a lot of people are planning their vacations for the summer, and some people are going to go overseas, and you know, we were just talking about this last week. How are we going to avoid massive fees on our phones?
Speaker 10: Yes, and it's a lot easier than it used to be. This is my popular demand. I guess a lot of people are traveling asking me, rich, how do I use my phone but not pay you know, astronomical roaming charges? And so here's the deal. My first, uh, my first item of tip is call your carrier. You may have what's called travel days banked on your plan. If you're paying like the highest plan, the ninety dollars a month plan, whatever it is for unlimited for your carrier, A lot of times you get a travel day every month included in your plan. So last time I went to Europe, I had like twelve days banked. I was there for a couple of days, didn't have to you know, it all was free basically, So that's my number one tip. Then, if you just want to keep your current plan and roam over there, EIGHTE and T charges twelve dollars a day, Verizon twelve dollars a day, T Mobile. Most plans include roaming that can add up fast. So I only recommend that if you're there for like, you know, three four days whatever. If you're there longer. I like what's called an e sim and this is basically a temporary plan you buy from an app. You don't need a physical SIM card. I like the app called Aerlow. You can activate that right from your phone. You can get like thirty days of usage with thirty gigabytes for like thirty dollars, So that's a very cost effective way to do it. The problem is your phone has to be unlocked usually for that to happen. For you'd be able to do that, So check that and then if you don't want to do any of that stuff, just turn off your cellular, turn on Wi Fi, and just look for Wi Fi hotspots. You can use WhatsApp to stay connected. I message. Just make sure that you're calling and texting over Wi Fi is activated before you leave the US.
Speaker 1: I think that's what I did last time. It was so long. I haven't traveled since before the pandemic. I think our last trip to Africa, I think we just turned off cellular and just texted.
Speaker 10: Yeah. And for most people, look, there's so much Wi Fi everywhere, as long as you don't, you know. And the other thing I would say is download the maps. I'm gonna put this in my blog post at richontech dot tv. Download the maps for the location you're going to. So both Apple Maps and Google Maps let you download the entire map for the area you're going to. So even if you didn't have cellular, you could still navigate around using the offline maps. So that's a good idea too. And my other tip, one more tip because this burned me many years ago. I went to China and I left my dropbox on and all my pictures uploaded. And I'm not kidding. I came back to like a thousand dollar bill. I had to, like, I have to negotiate with AT and T to like get that down. But yeah, turn off automatic backups or make sure they're just on Wi Fi.
Speaker 1: Okay, that's great. Great, that's going to be so helpful and helpful to lots of you guys who are going to be traveling hopefully this summer. One last thing, and that is good news for parents regarding Roadblocks.
Speaker 10: Yeah, well I don't think there's any good news at all ever with Roadblocks. I'm not a fan, but I will. I will report on this impartially.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 10: Basically, Roadblocks is working with Google to do these video ads that you can watch instead of buying stuff. So let's say your kid, you know, if your kid is playing Robox, are always bugging you for something, right, some sort of in app purchase. Well, now they can watch these ads. For thirty seconds and instead of buying the item, they will get it gifted for free. So it's kind of a cool idea because most parents will be like, hey, I'm fine with that, you know, as long as the ads are okay, it's going to cost them less.
Speaker 1: But I you know what, when I play games, I have to watch ads. So kids should have to learn to do that too, unless they want to pay for it with their own money.
Speaker 10: Yeah, exactly. Most of the time it's mom and dad paying.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm such a hard ass. All right. Rich DeMuro the host of Rich on Tech right here on KFI Saturdays from eleven to two. You can follow him at rich on Tech. You can watch him on KTLA, and you can also check out his website where he puts all this stuff that we talk about. It's rich on Tech dot TV. Thank you so much, Rich, jamiro.
Speaker 10: All right, Amy, talk to you soon.
Speaker 1: All right, good advice. I love good advice. I love love and I like that new Prime perk. But I'm wondering again, you get like a five percent or a five cent a gallon discount if you use your debit card, or maybe it's a five five cent penalty if you use a credit card at AMPMS, so I wonder if that ten ten cents off really becomes five cents because of the credit card, or if you can use a debit PANDIMIC card and get the full ten cents. I'm gonna check it out though, because you know, five cents is five cents, especially because gas is now approaching five dollars a gallon and it's probably a shorter line than Costco. H. Yes, it moves fast, though, it moves fast. So yesterday I said it was Otani Bobblehead night. I was so wrong. Tonight is Otani Bubblehead Night at the Dodgers game. And tonight the Dodgers are taking on the Braves. The game is at five thirty. And you know what, if you don't feel like going and waiting in line to get in, because last year when they did the bobblehead the line was hours long to get it, you could listen to the game and listen to all the action on AM five to seventy LA Sports Live from the Galpin Motors Broadcast booth, and you can stream the game in HD on the iHeartRadio app Keyword AM five to seventy LA Sports and the Lacy Council's passed a right to Council ordinance for renters, finalizing a two year effort to provide tenants facing eviction with legal representation. The Lacit Council plans to consider a motion today to provide fast food workers with more stable scheduling and paid time off. If approved, the motion would also give workers more power to report workplace violations. New York, Seattle, and Oregon have similar ordinances in place. Big Bear Lake, the lake itself is open for business again. Visit Big Bear. CEO Travis Scott says boats can now go in the water and water activities can resume. Scott says the mountain resort is transitioning away from the winter season, even though Bear Mountain, Snow Summit, and Snow Valley are still open for skiing. At six oh five, it's handle on the news. The Republicans win a couple big races in Florida and the Democrats win a big one in Wisconsin. Let's say good morning now to Corgy Beach Day organizer Kelly maclamore. Good morning, Kelly, good morning. How are you doing great? So we've got two big dog events this weekend. Are Wiggle Waggle Walk for Pasadena humaneis on Sunday and the day before, on Saturday, thousands of corkis are descending on Huntington Beach. Tell us about so Cal Corgy Beach Day.
Speaker 5: Yes, that's right. So Socao Corky Beach Day comes to Huntington Beach on Saturday. We have thousands of corgis. We have over forty pet venders, we have Corgi contests all day long, food trucks and everything gorky and it's all dog friendly, so anybody can come. You don't have to have a corky to attend.
Speaker 1: I hear that if you don't have a Corgi, your dog becomes an honorary Corgi for the day.
Speaker 5: That's right, That's right, And we have a lot of honorary corkis that come, and even people that just don't have a corky and they just love to see all those little fluffy butts walking around the beach.
Speaker 1: Okay, so where do all the corkis come from?
Speaker 5: You know, most of them come from obviously so Cal, but we have a ton of people that come from all over the US. They make road trips to come with their dogs and come to corgy each day. We even have people that come from overseas Europe. We've had people come from Dubai. I mean, they come from everywhere, and I'm we're always surprised that they keep coming. There's just there's a ton of corky people everywhere.
Speaker 1: Okay, and so what are some of the activities that are going on? You mentioned that there's going to be food vendors at food trucks and there's going to be vendors and that kind of thing. But what are some of the things that corkys do. Is it just to come and show your you know, share your corgi or do you have actual activities for them?
Speaker 5: Yeah, we have a whole itinerary planned all day. So the main arena area is the hub of all the action and that's where we have all of our contests. So we have most popular one, of course, costume contests, and our theme of corgiybch is Corgabunga, USA, kind of a shout out to Huntington Beach Stark City, USA. We also have Corky Limbo because it's perfect for the little short legs. Best corky but Fluffius Corgy loudest Barking Corky Contest, which is a new one, and that's a hit already. And what else do we have? We have tons of contests all day long, and it's it's all at the main arena, so okay, that's the heat of the action. And then other than that, there's tons of other stuff to do as well.
Speaker 1: Okay, and then the Corky races. So the Corky's race, and I'm do they race on the sand?
Speaker 5: They do? We we have done that before and we've timed them to so we do another event called Corky national So the winner of that event goes to compete in Corky Nationals.
Speaker 1: They win a spot. Okay, I bet it's really fun to watch them on the sand because as their little legs sink in, you probably just see them skimming along the beach.
Speaker 5: Yes, it's pretty funny, all right.
Speaker 1: And so what why do people love Corky's so much, Kelly?
Speaker 5: I think, I mean, I love Corky's because it feels like they're just big dogs and little bodies. They're loyal, they're active, very smart, sometimes too smart, but there's just a great companion. I'm a Corky lover for life. I'll always have a corky I love that.
Speaker 1: Okay, So if you want to participate, when do things get started on Saturday?
Speaker 5: So ten am to three pm on Saturday, come to Huntington Beach the two blocks south of the pier. The event is free to the public excuse and there's a huge parking lot which is new for us this time. We've moved locations, so we have thousands of parking spots with crime.
Speaker 1: Great great great. And where can people get more information.
Speaker 5: Kelly, They can go to so Calcorgybeach Day dot com or also on Instagram, so Cal Corky Beach Day.
Speaker 1: Okay, thank you so much, Kelly macklamore. Good luck with so Cal Corgy Beach Day. Sounds like a lot a lot of fun.
Speaker 5: Thank you.
Speaker 1: All right, take care. Time to get in your business now with Bloomberg's Courtney Donaho. Courtney, let's talk good morning, good morning. Let's talk about luxury cars and why the expensive cars are going to get more expensive in the less expensive cars are going to go away.
Speaker 8: Well, here's an interesting angle to all of this. Mercedes is thinking about not selling its entry level models now in the US. So yeah, so it's a big change for these guys. Executives believe the auto tariffs are going to make these cars economically unfeasible, so duties could turn already thin margins into losses if they're not passed on to customers. So the small GLASUV is one of the models that they're thinking about pulling. But sources tell us executives at the German automaker are frustrated from the lack of clear guidance from Washington and they're really unsure how to respond right now. But overall, when you're looking at cars, tariffs are driving a lot of people to the showrooms. For example, in the first quarter, GMS deliveries sorts seventeen percent as people rushed out there to get a new car, and Hyundai so record sales too.
Speaker 1: And Hynday's generally more affordable cars, so that one could hit a lot of people hard.
Speaker 8: But they saw double digitkanes for some of their best selling models. But you have to keep in mind that cars assembled overseas account for half of US auto sales, so this is going to be a big game changer when these twenty five percent tariffs take effect coming up this week.
Speaker 1: Okay, and then you mentioned tariffs And here's something that we might not have thought about that is going to be affected by those tariffs, and it has to do with your face. Yeah, duties could hit botox. So this is when we're going to get a lot of people's attention about what tariffs can really warn you.
Speaker 8: Oh my gosh, so true here in New York too. But potential tariffs on Ireland's can be bad news for drug maker Avvy, which makes the anti wrinkle treatment in that country on the west coast of the country. Moving production to the US would likely be a huge headache for Avvy. So for a drug like Botox, a lot of increases and prices that's going to hit patients because it isn't covered by insurance.
Speaker 1: You know that there's going to be people calling their estheticians today. Can you get me in today? Can you get me a today? Exactly? Present me up. President Trump is also going to be meeting today because we have another deadline approaching for TikTok. They're supposed to sell by April fifth or be banned. Yeah, this is Saturday. It's every day it's a new headline over something. But President Yeah, President.
Speaker 8: Trump is meeting to consider proposing the proposal for divesting TikTok's US operations from its Chinese parent company. So sources are telling us here at Bloomberg that the administration is considering a deal that would include Oracle financial firm, Blackstone and other investors in a joint venture. So, as you were saying, they have the deadline this Saturday to find a buyer or see the app band though the President has said that he would be willing to extend the deadline it's necessary.
Speaker 1: Okay, And what are we expecting stocks wise, because we've got Liberation Day the announcements this afternoon.
Speaker 8: But you know what, it's interesting that they moved it from three o'clock to four o'clock Eastern time, after the close of trading. So, but the countdown is on and everybody is watching.
Speaker 1: And what Wall.
Speaker 8: Street doesn't really like, what we're certain about is that they don't like uncertainty here. So stocks are heading for a pretty tough hit today. S and P futures are down one percent. That means we're going to get a significant hit at the open. Dow futures are looking at a loss of three hundred and fifteen points. Yesterday it was a mixed close, so it's looking a little more rough today where the S and P five hundred rows four tenths of a percent. However, the Dow closed the session little changed.
Speaker 1: All right, Courtney Donaho, with Bloomberg getting in your business just like we do every day on wake up call. Thank you so much, See you later, talk to you tomorrow. Let's get back to some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. Gas prices in LA County arr inching toward the five dollars per gallon mark again. Prices are up another two cents today to four eighty nine a gallon. On average, prices are up eleven of the last twelve days gas in Orange County averaging four eighty six a gallons for seventy seven in the ie. Some renters facing eviction in LA could soon have access to free legal health.
Speaker 4: The city council voted in favor of a right to Council program funded through LA's mansion tax. Attorney Shane Henson says too many tenants show up in court without representation against a landlord who has a lawyer. People that have an attorney face the judge and landlord's attorney alone.
Speaker 11: They were often confused about the allegations in their case and the rules of the court.
Speaker 4: The program is expected to cost around thirty five million dollars a year, and some supporters have argued that money would come back and then some through additional revenues and saved expenses. Michael Monks KFI News.
Speaker 1: Former NYPD Blue actress Kim Delaney and her partner will not be charged following their arrests in Marina del Rey. They were arrested on Saturday after deputies responded to a domestic disturbance call. LA County District Attorney's Office cites insufficient evidence in declining to pursue the case. It's Sho Heeo Tani bobblehead nighted Dodger Stadium. Dodgers are going to hand out forty thousand bobblehead heads that commemorate Otani's first season, in which he became the first and only member of the fifty to fifty club fifty home runs, fifty stolen bases in one season. Sports memorabilia collector cruz Achoa says people can make big bucks on popular collectibles.
Speaker 12: Anything to do with Otani really has a pretty petty attached to it.
Speaker 4: I mean his popularity, his stuff, especially since coming to the Dodgers.
Speaker 1: Team Otani bobbleheads from last season selling on eBay for about two hundred bucks, or you could keep them, keep the commemorative. The Dodgers are encouraging fans to arrive early to the game. Lines last year were hours long. The game starts at five thirty eight. You can hear live on a five seventy. California lawmakers have rejected two bills that would have banned transgender athletes from competing in girls and women's sports. One would stop biological males from joining sports teams. The other would reverse a law that allows transgender athletes to participate in female sports. The votes yesterday were along party lines. More than one thousand replica guns have been seized from LAX in the past six months. US Customs and Border Protection says most have been destroyed. Customs officials say the replica weapons came from China most likely, and arrived at the airport labeled as misdeclared alloy miniature toys. They may have included BB guns, toy guns, and pelicans. We're just minutes away from Handle on the news this morning with our guest host Nili savedra Corey Booker talked and talked and talked and talked and set a record. Did he accomplish anything. Let's say good morning now to the CEO of the Arbor Day Foundation. It's Dan Lamb.
Speaker 12: Good morning, Dan, good morning.
Speaker 1: Okay, so we're talking trees. We want to get a refresher course. What is so great about trees and why do we need them?
Speaker 12: Well, look, the Arbor Day Foundation, of course we love trees, but what we're realizing more and more is that trees are no longer seen as a nice to have. They are a must have because they do so much for us, especially in our cities and towns. From those be natural air filters, helping to create cleaner, safer communities, shading our homes, helping to stop and slow storm water runoff and flooding. If ever there was a time to be planting trees, now is that time?
Speaker 5: Well?
Speaker 1: And even I've heard talking about in La where there are areas that just don't have a lot of trees, and they're like, we need to plant trees because as they grow up, like you mentioned, they do the shade, they literally cool off neighborhoods.
Speaker 12: No doubt, trees can reduce daytime temperatures by it to ten degrees fahrenheit. And it hasn't just been hot in La It's hot everywhere. And trees are more important than they've ever been. But also more and more research just tells us people are happier and healthier when they're near trees and green space.
Speaker 1: I love that. And so what is the mission, then, Dan of the Arbor Day Foundation.
Speaker 12: The Arbor Day Foundation is actually the largest nonprofit organization in the world dedicated to planting trees. And our simple mission is that we inspire people to plant, nurture, and celebrate trees. And we do that by planting in front yards and backyards, in cities and parks and in critical forest lands all around the world.
Speaker 1: Okay, and you want us to plant trees, so for Arbor Day that comes up April twenty fifth, right, and also right of course Earth Month and that kind of stuff. You've partnered up with a pretty large company and you're going to help people get those trees.
Speaker 12: To plant, right. We want everybody to be planting trees. But we're very excited this year to be partnering with Subaru as a part of their Subru loves the Earth Initiative. Super has a long legacy of working on environmental causes and we're excited to be partnering with Subaru and more than six hundred retailers across the country to distribute and plant one hundred thousand trees this year, helping people plant in their front yards and backyards, making a difference in cities and towns all across the country.
Speaker 1: Okay, so where are you going to be giving away trees? Do people come buy trees? Where do we get them?
Speaker 12: So it's a great question. Retailers all across the country are participating. You can go and find more information about our partnership and find your local retailer and reserve a tree by going to subru dot com slash Earth. And what's happening is we're distributing regionally appropriate trees and they're one gallon trees and they're going to grow up to be critically important parts of the urban forest, the community forest in our cities and towns all around the country.
Speaker 1: Okay, so like here we might get a palm tree or a nice jacaranda tree or something like that. In Oregon, they're going to get different trees.
Speaker 12: Exactly. We're going to make sure the right trees are being sent to the right place to make sure they have the best chance for survival.
Speaker 1: I love it, and Dan Lamb again, we're wre do people go to find out and when they can get the trees and where?
Speaker 12: So that we're more than six hundred subero retailers we're working with across the country. You can go to subreu dot com slash earth to find your local retailer and reserve a tree. And if you also just want to learn more information about how to plant trees, how to care for trees, you can go to the Arbor Day Foundation website at arbor day dot org.
Speaker 1: Okay, great, and then Dan, when are these being given aways at all month or is it a particular time of the.
Speaker 12: Month throughout We're distributing this throughout the month of April, but each retailer has a specific date that works for them the best.
Speaker 1: Okay, so go check out the website. Dan Lamb, the CEO of the Arbor Day Foundation, thank you so much for your time. We love trees.
Speaker 12: You're great, have a great Arbor Day all right, you too.
Speaker 1: And you guys, they have this list of all the cities where they're doing the tree giveaways. I mean it's like all over southern California. There's Riverside and Carlsbaden. Let's see, that's north of a thousand Oaks and Lake Forest and Temecula, Valencia. I'm just looking through this huge list and trying to pick out the ones that are close to us. A city of Industry, Glendale, Ontario, San Bernardino, all over the place. So do go check that out and you could get a free tree. I love planting trees. Let's get back to some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. A federal judge in California has ordered the Trump administration to temporarily restore legal aid to unaccompanied illegal immigrant children in the US. The administration terminated a federal contract last month that provides legal aid for those under eighteen. Groups whose funding was cut filed a lawsuit. They want the government to make sure children do not face court proceedings without legal aid. The body of a fourth American soldier missing in Lithuania has been found. The soldiers were with the third Infantry Division out of Fort Stewart, Georgia. White House Press Secretary Caroline Lovett told reporters yesterday. The soldiers were in an armored vehicle accident last month. One of the soldiers killed, Sergeant edvon Franco from Glendale. His wife, Georgia Franco, says he was a great father to their son. He loved him.
Speaker 5: I mean, I couldn't have handpicked somebody else to be a father.
Speaker 1: From the moment, I mean we had him, he was in love. The four soldiers were reported missing March twenty fifth. Their vehicle was discovered the next day about fifteen feet deep in a peat bog. Democrats have won a special election for a seat on the Wisconsin Supreme Court, despite Elon Musk spending millions on the conservative candidate. ABC's Andrew Dimbert says the election could have nationwide implications.
Speaker 10: The Wisconsin Supreme Court could rule on the issue of redistricting, which would impact the balance of power in Washington.
Speaker 4: But Republicans did have reason to celebrate overnight, he.
Speaker 1: Says, they won special elections in Florida to fill two vacant congressional seats. They had been held by former Congressman Matt Gates and Mike Walls, who became President Trump's National security advisor. The Pasadena School District has fired a security guard for making a child duc tape her mouth shut.
Speaker 11: The eleven year old girl's father, Ricardo Hurtado, says his daughter was told she was talking too loud and giggling too much during a lunch break when the officer forced her to tape her mouth shut. The incident happened at Blair Middle School in Pasadena. District officials say the female guard has been fired and they're cooperating with police during the investigation. The security guard has not been identified by the district and the girl has since returned to school.
Speaker 1: How the Brooker, KFI News and Tinder is starting an in app game that allows users to flirt with artificially intelligent chatbots. It says the idea is to boost user engagement. Tender says it's the game. Game uses open AI's GPT mini models to generate romantic comedy scenarios. Other dating apps like Grinder have also been testing AI powered features. What could go wrong? This is KFI and KOSTHD two Los Angeles, Orange County Southland weather from KFI sunny with highs in the low to mid sixties at the coast, Metro LA and Inland o c mid sixties in the valleys. In Inland Empire, fifty with strong or fifties with strong gusty winds in the Antelope Valley. Party cloudy with a chance of showers tomorrow afternoon. Then we're back to sunny sky's Friday with highs in the mid sixties. Could see mid seventies for some inland areas, warming into the seventies with sunny skies on Saturday, near eighty for inland areas. On Sunday, it's forty nine in Brea, forty eight Lake Forest, fifty one in Marina del Rey, and forty eight in Burbank. We lead local live from the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. I'm Amy King. This has been your wake up call, and if you missed any wake up call, you can listen any time on the iHeartRadio app. You've been listening to wake Up Call with me, Amy King. You can always hear wake Up Call five to six am Monday through Friday on KFI Am six forty and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio app.