Speaker 1: Welcome to when you know, you know, Unleashed, the show where nothing's off limits because out here there's no FCC breathing down on next the first guest actually lived through something different. She didn't choose the spotlight. The spotlight found her, and it nearly burned her alive. Her name became a headline before anyone bothered to ask her what actually happened. She's known for being part of one of the biggest sports celebrity scandals of all time. I'm talking about Rachel, you could tell. So Welcome to the podcast. Rachel. So great to see you, my friend. It has been let's just say, it's been more than a day. You have an age, not one bit. I do want to ask you something because you and I share something very very similar, and that's being thrust into public light, and interestingly enough, because nobody prepares you for waking up one morning finding out that the whole world has an opinion about you and your life. Take me back to that moment when you realize that your name was about to become a headline. You remember when that happened? Unfortunately to me, Yeah, what was going through your head in those first twenty four hours and what did you feel emotionally and even physically at that time.
Speaker 2: So, first of all, Michael, I want to thank you for having me on your show. Obviously, we've known each other for a long time. We've been in and out of each other's lives a little bit, and I'm so happy to see you where you are now, and it's an honor to be on your show to answer your question. I remember that twenty four hours and I remember that moment really vividly when essentially to put a caption on it, it was when I knew that my life was about to change and the person that I was up until that point would sort of no longer exist.
Speaker 3: My name was.
Speaker 2: Going to precede me in any room, that people were going to think that they knew me, and they wouldn't know the whole story, and it was terrifying. So it was around Thanksgiving of two thousand and and now when all of a sudden, the news started to report that Tiger Woods was in an accident, and I'll never forget getting a phone call a couple hours later from a reporter saying, I just want to let you know that the paparazzi is descending upon your apartment right now. If you want to say something, you should say it right now, because otherwise we're going to say it for you. And I hung up the phone. I was by myself, and I remember panicking. I remember the feeling of my stomach going in my throat of.
Speaker 3: Not knowing what to do but almost floating.
Speaker 2: As well as panicking because I was like, what does this mean? You know, I didn't understand the gravity of it. I didn't understand how big that story was going to be, and I just knew that I was about to be under attack, and I felt like this fight or flight mode, and I mean, it's you know, we could talk for many hours about that, twenty four hours.
Speaker 1: And we actually have. We actually have talked for many hours about it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we have.
Speaker 2: But the biggest thing that I remember is just feeling like I was completely alone, Like I was scared to death of what this meant in terms of everything I had created up until that point. And I was scared about how to react to people I knew and who are acquaintances, and then people that didn't know me, because, as you probably know, everyone wanted to be part of that story, right Everyone wants to say they know me they have some story to tell, and I could would read those things and I would say, how could they say that?
Speaker 3: How did they get that information? That's not even true.
Speaker 2: Those people didn't even know me, And that was the thing that I had to wrestle with for many years, because part of the story is like you become a headline, but you're no longer a person, And to grapple with it with friends was different than obviously people that didn't know me. Yeah, I even had to deal with that with friends, because it was a moment where I realized that, you know, I really had to look within and figure out who I was as a person and what friends I wanted to keep in my life.
Speaker 1: So let me ask you this then, because looking back, obviously you knew that you were going to be dating a celebrity. You knew that, of course Tiger was married. Were you ready to be publicly scrutinized if they found that out, because it's not like he was an unknown And let me ask you another part to that question, what would you tell you yourself in that exact moment when the two of you had met and decided to see one another. If you can go back in time right now, a lot of people ask me that question as it relates to President Trump. Is there anything that you would have done differently? You know, not to avoid the situation, but more to survive it better.
Speaker 2: I mean, it's a hard question because I will tell you that I know I went back in time. Would I do things differently? Know, because I didn't know any better. A lot of the lessons you learn as you go through life, as you have to go through things.
Speaker 1: But if you can go back in time now, knowing what you know, would you do something differently? Oh?
Speaker 2: Yeah, of course. I mean I would do plenty of things differently. But at the same time, I will say that, you know, I haven't. There's a lot of things that we all know now. There's a lot of stories that have come out. I personally have spoken I did the HBO documentary.
Speaker 3: I really only talked.
Speaker 2: About stuff that was A lot of it that I spoke about was out in public. There's a lot of parts of the story that I haven't talked about. But what I will say is that, of course I regret being the other woman in a marriage. I would never do that now, I get I talked to listen. Cheating on your spouse is like a common thing these days. You kind of see it. People do it all the time. It's not it seems like it's not that big of a deal because everyone talks about it and there aren't consequences like there were back in the day with such a big story.
Speaker 3: I would never do that.
Speaker 2: I don't associate with those kind of people or scenarios. I don't get involve. I don't condone it, but I understand it. I understand.
Speaker 3: Listen.
Speaker 2: I met Tiger through Derek Jeter, and I met Tiger when he was dating other people.
Speaker 3: So I was in a world and that I don't.
Speaker 2: Want to get myself in trouble here, But like I was in a world of running nightclubs.
Speaker 3: I don't know if you remember that.
Speaker 2: So I ran tow in Las Vegas and then eighteen other places were places where I was the director of VIP operations. I only dealt with high rollers or celebrities, and I was their gatekeeper and their wing woman.
Speaker 3: Would I do it again?
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was an amazing job.
Speaker 3: It was.
Speaker 1: You know, people ask me that. The reason I'm asking this question is because people ask me all the time. Knowing what you know and what happened to you meaning the total destruction of my life. Would you do something different as it, for example, related to the payment to Stormy Daniels And I constantly say no, I would not. I would not do anything different. I understand the consequences I do, but I knew what I was doing in terms of an NDA, something a nondisclosure agreement, something that is done routinely. The only difference, the only one difference which caused me to ultimately be charged federally under campaign finance is the fact that Donald J. Trump became President of the United States. So no, I would not have done anything different to protect a friend, which sort of brings me to a different question, because there is a difference between being talked about and being misrepresented. You were misrepresented. I believe I was misrepresented literally going from the Steele dossier all the way to the end. How much of what the world thought that it knew about you was actually true?
Speaker 2: Well, I think I think the biggest misconception is that they think they knew me because of a headline, and that just wasn't true. Listen, Obviously I was involved in, you know, in a relationship with somebody, and that was true.
Speaker 1: But who who was married you who was married and you were not.
Speaker 2: Right who was married and I was not, But I don't. I also want to be very clear, like I'm not a victim in any situation.
Speaker 3: I did something that I do feel bad about, but.
Speaker 2: At the same time, I have reconciled, I've done the work to know that the only person I needed to apologize to was the wife, and that is who I owed my apology to and who I've learned a lesson. So to go back to your first question of if I would ever do it again, I would not do that again. I would not be another woman again. But the other things that I did to survive that scenario I had to learn and get through to live my life and be who I am now. I'm very proud of the person I am now. I'm very proud of those situations. So like you, you know, I know the situation you went through. I actually and I think we've talked about this. You know, Stormy with somebody I knew in Las Vegas, and she contacted me right after she was with mister Truck, and you know, she wanted to sell that story years before, and so I understood the whole thing that was going on. You know, and you're right, because you became president is how this.
Speaker 3: All got us into a situation.
Speaker 2: But this is things that we were all dealing with and we all kind of surrounded ourselves with back in the day, and it wasn't a big deal. So now I'm forgetting the question you just asked me at the end of there.
Speaker 1: Well, let me change it a little bit and ask you, did you ever try to correct the record? Because there was much information that was being said about you that was inaccurate. Yeah, did you ever try to correct the record? And more importantly, what do you want right now? Using this massive platform that we have right here on WABC with my when you know, you know, unleashed, what do you want them to know about? Like the person who I know, the Rachel you could tell that I know who you really are.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, listen. The thing is is it's very complicated because I spent years trying to correct the record. The problem was is I had a thirty five page NDA, and part of that NDA was not even acknowledging that I had anything to do with this person or the situation, and the cuffing of that, the clamping of being able to verbalize that saying listen, I'm not even allowed to talk about that. That was breaking the NDA. So a huge part of my story that a lot of people don't realize is that this misconception that came with me, all these terrible words of you know, homewrecker and mistress and whore and whatever people wanted to name the woman right was so not who I was. And not only could I just not defend myself, I couldn't even correct the truth of what happened. And that has been the worst thing. And I you know, I get very heavily involved in conversations that have to do with NDAs because people really don't understand them. And I believe that they serve a purpose and there is a good reason for some, but I do think, for example, the one that I signed as a young woman, that thought, oh, this payment is going to be like, you know, a scarlet letter. This is what is worth the scarlet letter that I'm going to have to live with, became the problem that I had.
Speaker 3: In general.
Speaker 2: It was worse than the situation because it prevented me from being able to get my credibility back. And the credibility, as you know, is a thing that is so damaging. And when you turn your lights off a night and you go to sleep and you put your head on the pillow, Michael, you know that all those things are going through your head and you want to explain yourself. But when you have an NDA, you cannot, not even to my mother, not to a friend, not to a husband, I couldn't racion.
Speaker 1: You want to hear something really funny. You know the NDA that I did would Stormy Daniels. You know that I patterned it after the NTA that Tiger had given to you, with the pseudonyms and so on. I thought it was actually brilliant, right, and to have a side letter whereby you can use it when I read about the NDA, and so I just like, hey, this is really a great idea in terms of how to do it, because you don't want a document floating around out there that maybe somebody gets their hand on. So there's only that one paid pseudonym explanation. But I actually want to finish by asking you because you very much like a Monica Lewinsky story where her life was defined by a single moment. A single moment. People don't know the real Rachel. You could tell they didn't know all the accomplishments that you had in your job, and all of the incredible people that you had a chance to meet and to help and to do things for. I want you to finish by telling the audience what's one piece of advice that you rachel you could tell would give to someone who might be actually one bad headline away from something that's going to go wrong and terribly wrong.
Speaker 2: Well, if they're one bad headline away, I would say, think before you make your next step, and maybe think about what you have and how that's going to feel when you lose it, and how your credibility is going to feel when you lose it. The other thing I will say on another part of that question, though, is if these headlines happen, whether it's in your own community or in the public, I personally believe that silence is not your friend. I think that owning your narrative, owning your voice is the most important way you're going to get out of it and hitting rock bottom. People don't want to hit rock then they don't want to go through the uncomfortable as you.
Speaker 3: I think know going through.
Speaker 2: That is the only way to understand life and to on the only way to figure out wait a minute, what are the mistakes that I made, what's worth it, what's not, and how.
Speaker 3: I'm going to live going forward. So, just like you, a lot of things.
Speaker 2: To go back to your other question, I don't regret because I know how to get myself out of any situation. Now, just like you, you can decide if you want to be friends with somebody, if you want to reconcile, if you want to move forward with things, because you have the knowledge of what happened in the past, and you know. For me, it's like I want to tell people that are in situations like this, you got to own your narrative. You can't be persuaded by people that want you to say certain things. You can't say things just to get out of a situation. You got to own what you did wrong first, and then you got to be able to move forward and be like, here's my story. But my past doesn't define me. It just might make me more interesting. But the past literally creates who I am in the future and who I am now.
Speaker 1: Well so interesting, well, so interesting that Rachel Yucatel has a number one podcast that's out there. You want to give yourself a nice little plug here, sure, which I, by the way, expect to be on very very soon.
Speaker 2: Yes, I am very excited to have you. And part of the reason I created a show like this, it's called Misunderstood with Rachel yu Cautel. It's about people who have been reduced to a headline and their on a mission to change their narrative about the complexities of the human nature and the power of second chances. And so we have everybody from politicians to athletes, to actors to reality stars and sometimes ordinary people with extraordinary stories. We're number one in entertainment news right now and I can't wait to have.
Speaker 1: You on well and too Felon. So thank you so much Rachel for joining me on when you know, you know, unleashed. I appreciate it, and I would love to also one of these days have you on my talk show here on seventy seven WABC on Sundays at five pm. Can't wait, Rachel, I really appreciate you sharing your story. You know, the parts that make you look good, the parts that make good television, the parts that clearly still cost you something to talk about. And that's what the show is for my friends. That's Rachel, you could tell. So if you take one thing from this conversation, just one. Let it be this, that the person behind the headline is never the actual whole story, and we'll see you next time, right here on when you know, you know, leashed