Speaker 1: This is Gary and Shannon and you're listening to KFI AM six forty, the Gary and Shannon Show on demand on the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 2: I love podcasts. There's so many. I'm addicted to them.
Speaker 1: I love them. I love the true crime ones, all of them. I started with Serial five hundred years ago and now I'm just like at the bottom of the basement. I'll listen to the worst true crime podcast with like the worst production and the worst interviews and the worst writing, just because I'm that addicted. I had a couple of long drives of the past couple weeks and I did books on tape or you know, the new book on audiobook or whatever, which is fine. I don't really find myself as invested in a book when i'm listening to it and I'm paying attention to driving as I do if I'm just sitting down and reading a physical book. But I do love the podcast, especially when you're driving. It makes the time go by so quickly. And I had to crack up when I read the news over the weekend about this person and I don't know the name, but I don't to be rude, because like I said, I do love podcasts. But this person who's purportedly doing a podcast about LA and is just appalled and beside himself that he called nine one one and it took an hour for the.
Speaker 2: Cops to respond.
Speaker 1: It's funny because if you know LA at all, you know that that has been the case for before I moved here twenty years ago. That's been the case for a very long time. If you want to look at a nine to one one system that is overburdened, you look at Los Angeles. A couple of years ago, I was in Cincinnati for the Chargers and I accidentally called nine one one a couple times from my phone. Listen. I don't know what was happening. It was after a long night, all right. I think I was just trying to turn the phone off and I hit both of the buttons what have you, and it called nine one one, not once, not twice. Now, the thing about Cincinnati is they will call you back. Like I did not know this was a thing, But there are certain cities that, because of lawsuits and liability, they will call you back to make sure that you are okay. Because in Cincinnati's case, it was a child a handful of years ago that called nine to one to one. It wasn't taken seriously and the child's parent ended up dead or something like that, and so they will call you back. And it was always so funny to me, like, Wow, that is such a difference from Los Angeles, where you could say I'm bleeding out, I've got six bullet hole wounds, a little bit.
Speaker 2: Like, ah, can you come in and fill out a report?
Speaker 1: I mean, they're just two text So it just cracked me up over the weekend that somebody who purportedly does a podcast about LA thinks it's news that LA takes an hour to respond.
Speaker 2: Speaking of Los Angeles.
Speaker 1: The Oscars, last night, I sat down I got home at like four twenty four, twenty five, upset that I had missed the first part of the monologue, and then watched about thirty five seconds of it and wasn't upset any longer. And I just tried to watch this broadcast for the first time and several years.
Speaker 2: I'll show my age here.
Speaker 1: I'm a Billy Crystal fan, Like I like the early nineties Oscars when I was a child and I knew nothing better that that feels like home to me, Billy Crystal. I liked it when Goldie Han came out. All right, That's where I'm at in life. But I was just bored to tears with that Awards ceremony. I'm just sitting there waiting for something to happen, be entertained. I don't need, you know, Will Smith to hit Chris Rock, but anything, any sort of pulse would have been good.
Speaker 3: I was very disappointed in Conan's jokes. I was really hoping for like a comedy stand up, something a.
Speaker 2: Little bit yeah during a little edge.
Speaker 3: Yes, I think I cracked up once during his monologue and then just Crickets Night the time.
Speaker 1: I mean, I like the songs and the dancing, but I needed a little I think everyone needed a little, like a little relaxation, especially everything that happened Friday in the Oval office, and everyone just needed to relax and have a good time singing and dancing. I'll get you some way there, but just a little bit of an edge would have been good. It's funny because I was reading this interview with him in People magazine. Again that's where I'm at, and it was tepid. The interview was tepid. His answers were where he was trying too hard to be funny, and it wasn't funny, and I'm like, ah, this does not portend well for what I'm about to watch tonight. But I gave it the benefit of the doubt. He's a likable person. I had some other gripes with the Oscars, and we'll get all into it coming up at the bottom of the hour as well. But I need a crawl. I need a crawl that stays. I need to know who you're showing me on the screen, what they won for, and what movie they won for, like the name, the category and the movie. The crawl lasted about three seconds where it would flash who they're gonna show you. They show the person in the stands or what have you, in their seats, hugging their family and friends, and you know, you should know all of the people that are on your screen, and it's like, is that the guy from now?
Speaker 4: Is she?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 5: Is?
Speaker 2: Who is that? Is that? Selma Hi, Penelope Cruise?
Speaker 1: I mean you know what I mean, Like you know as you know who people are, you just need a little assist. And too often, watching the Oscars, the crawl asted three seconds, and then the hugging in the seats and then the making the way to the stage and the speech, and then they would show who it was and they're like, oh, and they did this movie.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 1: My husband was watching it. I was watching it, and he'd say, Oh, what did they just win for? And I'd say, I don't know. I wasn't really listening. And then I would wait and wait, and they still want to announce it. So that was driving me crazy. I missed the snippets of for Best Actress, Best Actor Supporting, as well of just give me ten to twelve seconds of a key moment of their performance in the.
Speaker 2: Movie, just so I can get a little taste of what they did.
Speaker 1: I missed that. I also missed the musical. For every song that was nominated, they used to do a production of each song kind of sprinkled throughout the broadcast, and that was gone as well, And I miss that. I just sound like an old man, now, right, I think I do. I think I'm an old man.
Speaker 6: No, a little bit. It dragged yesterday. I will say that it did.
Speaker 3: It wasn't entertaining. There wasn't any big highlights afterwards. Anora winning was cool, yeah, but like nothing that stood out from that.
Speaker 2: Oscar.
Speaker 1: I definitely thought that she should have won for a variety of reasons.
Speaker 2: The sex stuff she did. You got to give her a trophy for that.
Speaker 1: I think it's the first Best Actress winner who did a strip tease to that degree and won.
Speaker 2: So good for her. She was phenomenal. She really was.
Speaker 1: I don't know about that movie, but it's not up to me who cares. But anyway, Oscars are done. It was fun. We will get into more of that coming up. Like I mentioned, I did miss the Billy Crystal Meg Ryan at the end though. One of my friends texted me and she said I loved Billy Crystal and Meg Ryan at the end, and I said, oh, I turned it off before I got the Big Picture, the Best Picture, because I was so bored with it.
Speaker 7: Shannon, you missed the only good parts of the show, the very open when Ariana Grande and Cynthia Rivo saying I miss that, and the montage of La and then at the end was Megan Billy.
Speaker 1: Oh well, I luckily we have the thing called the Internet so I can relive all that.
Speaker 4: Oh good.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but I did have that feeling when I walked in. I was like, oh I missed the beginning, Like there's no place for me to see this ever again anyway. Okay, so we'll get into that Ukraine and the fallout of what happened in the Oval Office on Friday.
Speaker 2: Like every good blowout fight, we all know this.
Speaker 1: In the time, in the moment, you feel all these things, you feel all these emotions, and then a couple days go by where you're sitting in it and you're kind of thinking about what went wrong, what your part was in it, and your opinion kind of changes a little bit. That's kind of what happened for me with this whole blow up. We're also going to be talking to John Decker next White House Press Corp. He can shed some light on people and their reactions in Washington. There was one quote about who was it. It was one of the staunchest defenders of Donald Trump in Washington using the F word, saying like he knows he fed up. So we'll get to that as well. Gary and Shannon show KF I Am six forty Live everywhere on the iHeartRadio app. Don't forget if you miss any of this, like I missed the best parts of the oscars, you can follow the podcast on the iHeartRadio app and you will get it to your heart's desire. Whenever you want to listen, you can well. As I mentioned, the fallout continues as to what we witnessed to last Friday and the oval office Ukrainian President Zelenski saying there will be diplomacy for peace after he had a tense exchange of words with Trump last week in the White House. And I'll get to my thinking about how this all played out in my inside my head. After the initial emotion and reaction came in, some of the reaction on Capitol Hill has been mixed. To Lindsay Graham among the mixed reactions, if you ask him, he says that Zelenski should have behaved better. But according to an anonymous source who spoke to Politico, he said that even Lindsay Graham is talking about how fed up Trump was. So John Decker is with the White House Press Corps, joins us now from Washington, d C. With more on the reaction and the fallout of what happened on Friday. And John, I don't know about you, but is there any path to I guess friendship for these two. Again, we know that President Trump is not a guy who is very generous when it comes to second chances.
Speaker 5: Oh, I think he can patch things up. Keep in mind, who's his Secretary of State eight It's Mark Arrubio. What did he used to call Mark Arubio Little Marco? I mean, he patches things up with people all the time. He can get past this. I don't know how long it will take to repair this fractured relationship, but I think it can happen. And over the weekend, President Zelensky of Ukraine indicated he wants to make that happen. He wants to sign that Minerals deeal that was supposed to be signed at the White House on Friday. So I don't think you can go down the road and think.
Speaker 4: All is lost.
Speaker 5: Given President Trump's track record of patching things up with people who have gotten into verbal fights with him in the past, well.
Speaker 1: You know, I base this on the Trump that we've known for decades, where you know, he had We've heard anecdotes of journalists writing him up in a way that he doesn't like and him taking articles about them post taste that may be not in the best light about said journalists writing in sharpie I told you were trash and mailing that to them twenty five years after the event. Now that is an anecdote from about twenty five years ago. And Marco Rubio you bring up and it was interesting to me to see how I don't want to say the word castrated, but Marco Rubio sat there and said nothing. And that is the way you play with Donald Trump. You play the game on his rules, on his field. And I think Zelenski what we saw from him on the first go around in twenty eighteen where he was telling Trump, you know, we can take a page from your book when it turns in terms of draining the swamp. And he was very complimentary to Trump the first go around. He did not play the game in this next round there in the Oval office. I think that he invited himself for this kind of match when he said things.
Speaker 2: Like, well, you're very lucky.
Speaker 1: You have a whole ocean that puts you away from your your enemies.
Speaker 5: Well, this is the difficult in terms of how to approach a meeting with President Trump if you are a world leader meeting with him in the White House. There were three meetings that President Trump held last week. One was with Kure Starmer, the UK Prime Minister, that took place on Thursday, a day before this Lenski meeting, and then at the very beginning of the week, President Trump met with French President Emanuel Macron, who, by the way, in the White House corrected President Trump when he suggested, not just suggested, said that the European Union, all the countries of the European Union, are going to be reimbursed for all of the money that they've provided to Ukraine in terms of military assistance over the course of the past three years. That's incorrect, it's not true. And President Macron corrected him, but in a respectful way. So he understands how to deal with President Trump in that way. They have a relationship that goes back all the way to President Trump's first term. And I think the President Zelensky is getting a better sense about how to deal with this relationship with President Trump. And getting into a shouting match with the President with the media president in the Oval office not a good idea. You're not going to win that day. You're not going to win that particular battle. And I think that the next time they meet it will be a different environment and there will be a next time.
Speaker 1: I have no doubt we're talking to John Decker thankful for his time. Very bright mind there with the Washington Press Corps and John. What do you make of the narrative that this was a trap? I mean, if it was a trap, and it certainly seems like it when you think about President Trump's conversations with Putin, and it seems like his stance with Putin. He loves winners, right, He loves the guys who are the bullies on the playground. That's just who he is. He likes the cream that rises to the top. He sees that in some regard with Putin. If he was setting this trap with Zelensky, Zelensky had to know what he was walking into, right. Is that why he kind of was more combative.
Speaker 5: I can't get inside any of these people's heads that you mentioned. I can't get inside Zelenski's head, or JD. Vance's head, or President Trump's head. We saw it played itself out just two days prior to this meeting. You saw cabinet meeting in which the vice president was very deferential to the president. He didn't even speak say a word until forty five minutes into that cabinet meeting. In fact, Elon Musk spoke more at that Cabinet meeting than did the Vice President. In this particular instance, on Friday, the Vice President spoke up, he got into a combative war of words, so to speak, with President Zelenski. So it's a different dynamic that you saw on Friday than on Wednesday. And I can understand why people may say this was a setup, given the fact that on Wednesday of the same week, just two days prior to the Oval Office meeting with President Zelenski, you had the Vice President who was so different to President Trump, and that was not the case on Friday during this Oval Office meeting.
Speaker 1: And then looking forward, John, what do you expect to be the relationship here? You think things are going to calm down? You said, Do you think that there's hope for a pass forward with Zelensky and Trump? What's the timetable on the temperature returning to civil.
Speaker 5: Well, I think that the timetable is such that there's a war going on. It just hit its three year anniversary, so things have to be patched up relatively quickly. In the meantime, we saw that President Zelenski traveled across the Atlantic to meet with the UK Prime Minister over the weekend, also met with King Charles also spoke with other European leaders, and it seems to me Europe immediately pivoted. How do they pivot? They are trying to force their own Ukraine peace plan, and of course consult with President Trump. But I think that that they believe maybe that the only pass forward if the relationship between the US and Ukraine, between President Trump and President Zelensky cannot be repaired, there needs to be a Plan B, and that is Plan B.
Speaker 1: John Decker, appreciate your time as always, really do. I know you're super busy, so thank you for spending this time with us. All right, John Decker, Their White House Press corps there in DC can shed some light on what's going on there for US and the reaction, and we'll get into more of it coming up in Swamp Watch about Lindsay Graham's comments and about what Europe has planned. Europe has given a great deal to Ukraine, and well they have to right. They're much closer to Zelensky's point than we are to the action to putin. So this was an odd juxtaposition. Did you hear about this? The CIA peeling back the curtain on some of its secrets. They have an upcoming presentation. It's south By Southwest. The Music Festival CIA plans to deliver a talk at this year edition of south By Southwest and It's now Music and Tech Conference in Austin. According to the CIA, the presentation is called Mission Impossible. The SPI's Guide to Creative Problem Solving will feature lessons about finding innovative solutions to complex problems. It comes and during the first weekend of the event. I guess that's where my confusion lies, is that I did not know what had morphed from just music to music and tech. Now apparently it's music and tech experts and business leaders and entrepreneurs, something for everyone. Did you feel the earthquake three point nine? I mean, I guess that's notable even in Los Angeles. It's close to a four. I feel like four is the cutoff, so three point nine you can. I think you can still talk about it happened. I saw a headline written somewhere that wasn't Los Angeles. It said something like an earthquake rattles all the after Oscars parties, And I'm thinking, did it? Did it really rattle all the after Oscars parties? I don't think anybody probably even noticed that we do have a question for you today. This is something that came up. I don't think it was last week or the week before because I wasn't here the week before, but maybe the week before that, and I don't remember what we were discussing, but it came up about partners doing chores and how that that is such an aphrodisiac so to speak. I think Gary's wife even texted me like, chur day is date night something to that effect, because it's very helpful when you have somebody to it kind of shoulders all the stuff around the house when it comes to chores and stuff like that. Anyway, a study came out today that said more than half of Americans say they are turned on when their partner does chores. So we were wondering, what do you think, Keana like, which.
Speaker 2: Chore does it?
Speaker 8: Like?
Speaker 2: Is there a list of chores? Is there? Like, Okay, you take out the garbage, that's.
Speaker 1: Cool, But if you, you know, clean up the backyard or something like that, that that's extra points.
Speaker 6: Maybe.
Speaker 3: I mean personally for me, if he does something around the house that I don't have to ask him.
Speaker 6: To do, that's my turn off.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Now have you gotten to the point you've been married? How long?
Speaker 6: I have to count on my fingers for months?
Speaker 2: Right, A few couple of months? Six months?
Speaker 5: Six?
Speaker 2: Whoa, yeah, this time is flying.
Speaker 1: I thought it was like three months, but you were together before?
Speaker 2: How long?
Speaker 5: Oh?
Speaker 2: About five years? Okay, so that's long enough.
Speaker 1: Do you have the nod nod wink wink agreement where if you want something done, you don't say it because that makes them and that makes him not want to do it more. You have to be creative about how you want something done. No, well, so manipulation hasn't reached the pinnacle for you yet.
Speaker 2: I'm still knew in her really you know what I mean though?
Speaker 1: Amy?
Speaker 7: Right?
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, we're like, you want something done and I still don't know how.
Speaker 3: Oh go ahead, I sit and wait for the last possible second for him to do it. So, okay, walking it's not a chore, but walking the dog, taking the dog to the bathroom.
Speaker 6: I'm gonna call myself out here, but.
Speaker 3: We'll be like, oh, the dog needs to go to the bathroom, and I just look at him and wait and we acknowledge that the dog needs.
Speaker 6: To go to the bathroom.
Speaker 3: But I wait for him because we have digger downstairs.
Speaker 6: I just wait and wait and wait.
Speaker 3: The dog starts bothering him and then he goes and things or down.
Speaker 1: I love that you just freeze each other out while the dog has like anxiety over.
Speaker 2: Peeing or worse dog. Yes, yeah, oh my gosh. What's your dog's name?
Speaker 6: Alaska?
Speaker 2: Poor Alaska? My goodness. We love her, we love her, we take care of her.
Speaker 1: So how does the chore game work in your house? My dad never did one thing. My mom did everything. I mean, my dad couldn't change a light bulb. My husband is very different. He does all the things. He will do dishes, he will cook, likes it's insane. It's very different from the land I grew up in, Shannon. You would appreciate this one. My favorite one was one time we had just gotten done with dinner and I think there was a football game on. I think it was Monday night football, and Chad said to me, well, why don't you just go watch that game and I'm going to go do the dishes.
Speaker 6: Oh my god, I know right.
Speaker 1: I love you, Chad. That's amazing that that really warms my heart.
Speaker 7: Like that's a story then, And that was twenty years ago, and that's like, what I remember.
Speaker 1: That's wonderful. My god, you haven't made all right. So let us know what is the chore that does it for you? Is this a thing in your house? Use that talkback feature on the iHeartRadio app, just tap that microphone and let us know. We'll tackle this coming up later in the show. I've kept the train on the tracks without Gary for fifty one minutes. I know, I'm eating into the news, probably forty seven minutes, maybe forty three somewhere around there. The train has been on the tracks. I've done exactly what I said I was gonna do. And then the commercial break happens. Michael Monks comes in. He's got a bag full of homemade ice cream. He's like, which flavor do you want to try? And I'm thinking yes to this. I did not wake up today thinking I would try homemade ice cream. I happened to be in a very big ice cream phase of life, Michael, So this is exciting.
Speaker 2: And then we get the Keana's got the news.
Speaker 1: We've got the freaking eagles eggs hatching. So now everything has gone to hell or heaven heaven. Really, we have ice cream and baby eaglets.
Speaker 8: Oh yeah, sunshine on the horizon of these mountains outside this window on a beautiful southern California winter day here in March.
Speaker 4: Are you kidding me? This is perfect?
Speaker 1: Michael goes, Oh, I guess this is the kind.
Speaker 2: Of radio station we have. Now we're just gonna talk about ice cream.
Speaker 8: Yes, I'm happy to Yeah, you know I love ice cream. You mentioned the ice cream phase of life. I've been in that for most of my life. A good signature, baniya, it is inanita incredibilia.
Speaker 2: I don't know how to say that.
Speaker 8: Yeah, yeah, So I loved ice cream for a long time and I've been curious about learning how to make it. And I'm a vanilla guy. You know, people use as an insult you're so vanilla.
Speaker 5: You know what I say.
Speaker 4: Vanilla's a delicious flavor.
Speaker 8: You had a good vanilla ice dread exactly. You need to have a deep, intense vanilla kick to it. And so I've been working on that. My spouse bought me an ice cream maker for the birthday I had a few weeks ago, and we finally got around and getting into it. We've been experimenting with recipes and you know, in this business. You never know when the acts is going to fall down.
Speaker 4: On you, was it?
Speaker 5: No?
Speaker 4: No, Well I'm forty five years old.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I'm right behind you.
Speaker 4: Oh you're behind me.
Speaker 2: I'm coming up. I'm coming up.
Speaker 4: How about that?
Speaker 8: Nineteen eighty also, Yes, class of ninety eight high school, wonderful year. I think we peaked in the nineties. Yes, we definitely did. The music was great. We had a little bit of Internet, like just enough Internet. Yeah, music was good in all genres.
Speaker 2: I think I was my best self in nineteen ninety six.
Speaker 4: That was a good year.
Speaker 8: Got my driver's license that year on my second try.
Speaker 5: Ye.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it was a second Yeah, I failed on points.
Speaker 8: By the way, it takes a certain type of idiot really to not like make one catastrophic mistake, but to make a series of terrible mistakes.
Speaker 2: I'm rethinking my whole opinion of you based on this.
Speaker 4: I am a fool. I am a bumbling, tumbling fool.
Speaker 1: So if this ice cream thing makes it, and based on the vanilla, I think it's going to do.
Speaker 2: You have a name already for your.
Speaker 8: Guy working it out, you know, like we've got a cat named Milo. We want to try to effect. Excuse me, factor that in a little bit. But I also like somehow how can I get broadcasting our radio into it.
Speaker 4: You know, we've got a few flavors.
Speaker 8: I've got, you know, the strawberry strawberry chocolate, and we worked out a coffee when that's really.
Speaker 1: Delicious, Milo's mic cream. No, I mean, listen, we'll work shop.
Speaker 4: I was going to call it. I was gonna call it Vanilla's Vanilla Mike's. See vanilla Mike's.
Speaker 2: Is good vanilla Mike.
Speaker 4: Yeah. But yeah, but nobody else liked it.
Speaker 2: I like that. And instead of the name your spelling, it's mi.
Speaker 8: C exactly like the microphone is all my socials. Yeah, exactly.
Speaker 2: This is good.
Speaker 4: Yeah. I didn't expect to.
Speaker 8: Do a plug today, but I appreciate you letting me sit down and do that.
Speaker 4: You're walk Oh, I got a bag full of little samp.
Speaker 2: Came in here with a bag full of samples.
Speaker 4: Now let me just research and development.
Speaker 1: You're still you're the newest person, I guess, and also the oldest person here.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, because that's just where we're at right now. But I will tell you this. You come into this show with a bag full of stuff. You made at home that we're supposed to put in our mouth and ingest, and we take it willingly, no questions ask, We just throw it. Right.
Speaker 4: It was just a bag of loose chili.
Speaker 2: Chili.
Speaker 1: I would eat your chili. But that's not every show, Michael Monks. You can't come in here during, for example, the Conway Show with a bag of your secret sauces in there and then just say, hey, try this, because Conway is a guy who needs to have chain of custody, like he needs to know where those doritos came to origins. Right, he flips it over and he says, okay, that's little Puente factory as opposed to the Fontana factory.
Speaker 4: And you get the backstory on his elementary school.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he knows where it came from. So you came into the right show with your bag of treats. I'm glad you know it's all commercial. I saw my shot, I shot it, and I switched it and here we are. Thanks for talking to me.
Speaker 2: I'm looking forward to Chili Day, all right, coming out? What were we supposed to talk about?
Speaker 1: I don't even know. We'll get to Gene Hackman. He's dead, He's not going anywhere. We'll get there, sorry, too soon, I don't know. Also the big bear situation, do we have an I can't get the cam because I don't have the Facebook log in or what have you.
Speaker 6: I think it's on YouTube and it's on YouTube.
Speaker 1: It's on YouTube, amy or are they hatching? We have a pip and what does that mean? Pit means that there is a there's a crack in the show, which means baby's trying to get out, and then it takes between one and three days for them to hatch. And so far I believe there's just one pip. There's three eggs. Okay, all right, the crack has gotten bigger today, it has How big would you say the crack is?
Speaker 7: I don't know.
Speaker 2: The egg's probably what the size of a small baseball?
Speaker 1: So mayy three stitches worth a crack maybe on that egg?
Speaker 7: Yeah, it's hard to see them because you know, they're on the nest pretty much all the time. So when they get up right, you try to look, but you know, you don't know. It might be a smudge on the egg, and it might be a little twig that looks like a crack.
Speaker 2: Well, and the nest is covered with snow.
Speaker 1: It's cold up there at those heights, eighteen degrees eighteen degrees, yeah.
Speaker 7: But the eggs underneath are nice and warm. Jackie and Shadow are keeping them nice and warm.
Speaker 2: All right.
Speaker 1: We'll keep an eye we'll keep an eye on the crack right here on Gary and Shannon.
Speaker 4: You've been listening to The Gary and Shannon Show.
Speaker 8: You can always hear us live on KFI AM six forty nine am to one pm every Monday through Friday, and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio app.