Speaker 1: McDonald's wraps, all flavor, no mess, no drips on your drip or grease on your shirts, no crumbs on your keyboard or sauce on your dashboard. Just all the flavor of sweet chili, chicken, barbecue and bacon chicken and New Tika Chicken wrapped up NAT served after eleven AM. Tika Chicken Wrap available until thirteenth July twenty six. Fees applied to delivery orders, project to availability.
Speaker 2: Love MNS quality and value you can trust. At MNS you can update your home, your wardrobe and theirs with quality you can count on. There's the ultimate twelve euro les bras, the softest ever kid sweats from six Euro fifty, luxurious Egyptian cotton towels from eight euro twenty five, and so much more value you can trust only at MNS shop in store or at Marks and Spencer Dot.
Speaker 3: I e oh hey, it's the lady eating berries off a bush in the park alley ward and here we are. We have arrived at an episode six years in the making. I have had this ology in the specific allist on my list for years. We had a few near encounters and then a pandemic lockdown, and then scheduling issues. Finally had happened. I had researched the top folks in the world doing psilocybin and hallucinogenic research, and over and over he came up as the lead or the co author on papers. And I watched this documentary on fantastic fungus applications, and there he was on the screen and with me wistfully saying, that's my ologist. We've even emailed. So a few weeks back we finally lined up our times and dates, and I packed up my little old purse filled with mics and SD cards, and off I went about an hour south, just past lax and I pulled into this parking lot near the UCLA Medical Center. I was early, I was nervous, and in he walked his gray beard and long hair pulled back into a low pony. He was wearing a navy blue windbreaker, with an easy smile, a very chill demeanor. So we ducked into this stark, near empty office in this new building because his old office of decades had recently been and I think condemned and torn down.
Speaker 4: This guy the ceiling right, Oh my god, our family of raccoons living in like an addict and the ceiling just came out.
Speaker 3: So we sat in this sparkly new office, which he deserved, zero raccoons or hallucinations of them, and we got into it as you will hear. But first, just a quick thanks to everyone who sent in such great questions for this ologist via patreon dot com slash Ologies. You can join for one dollar a month and I may read your questions and your name. And thanks to everyone out there wearing ologies bathing suits and hats and shirts via ologiesmirch dot com. We got them there for you, and of course for no dollars. You can support just by telling friends and texting links and social media ing or leaving a review which I'm bound to read because I never missed one such as this still warm one from Laura, who wrote, I am a farmer who listens to podcasts all day long as I weed herbs and prune tomatoes. Your interviews took on my brain and are in absolute joy and a treasure. So Laura a Constellation farm. I do not enjoy tomatoes, but I like you and herbs and mushrooms, so let's get into it. So psychedeliology has been used in the literature. Thank you very much, but just a few times in published books. But I'm going to take it. And it was coined by a psychiatrist in the nineteen fifties from the Greek word for soul or mind psyche paired with deluon, meaning to reveal, and he meant it to mean mind manifesting. And this psychiatrist, Humphrey Osmond, also came up with this jaunty rhyme to fathom hell or sore angelic, just take a pinch of psychedelic, So psychedeliology it is so. This guest is a professor of psychiatry and pediatrics at the UCLA School of Medicine and the Director of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry at the Harbor UCLA Medical Center. And he's the editor of the reader Halluse Nugens. And in this two parter we'll learn all about the history of psychedelic research in the Western world, Who Wow and its origins in ethnobotany, How much LSD is too much LSD? What juices are squirting in the brain when you are tripping out? Who should not take psychedelics? How this guest research has helped terminally ill patients some serendipitous library time late night phone calls talking to dead people, and I depress in some mushrooms and the secret government experiments with hallucinogens. And so I note there is one brief mention of suicide, and there are clearly themes of intoxication in the episode. But strap in lay back, come take a journey with clinical psychiatrists, researcher, author and psychedeliologist doctor Charles Grow. So many questions and the soologies is a every episode is a different ology, okay, And so I think the ology for this probably would be micro psychopharmacology.
Speaker 4: Or psychedelologylogy, whatever I can find outology, whatever rolls off the.
Speaker 3: Top, whatever rolls whatever, branding works. But the first thing I'll have you do is if you could say your first and last name, just so I make sure.
Speaker 4: My name is Charles Grobe g R O B. I'm an MD. I'm a professor of psychiatry and pediatrics at the UCLA School of Medicine, and for the last thirty one years I've been the director of the Division of Child and Adolesson Psychiatry at Harbor UCLA Medical Center.
Speaker 3: Amazing, and I know it's doctor Grow and pronounce he him amazing.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Ow you call me Charlie. That's I don't care. That's fine too. My daughter says, I need to start introducing myself as Charlie. Really, Charles is too formal.
Speaker 3: Oh, I feel like there's such a reverence for you in this field that, like doctor Grob, feels a bit more appropriate.
Speaker 4: The term doctor Grove. It cats out fairly daunting. But I figure they must be referring to my father, who was the true the originator of doctor Grove. He was a big chief of medicine in New York for many years.
Speaker 3: And I understand that your dad told you, when you figure out what you want to do, you can call me at any.
Speaker 4: Time, anytime, day or night. When I figure out what I'm going to do with my life, call them. So I figured it out. They came to me one night when I was a research assistant at my Monete's Medical Center Dream Research Lab. My task was to monitor sleepy egs and to wake up the person who was sleeping and dreaming. It was in the century deprivation chamber, and there was another person to send her down the hall. So I had to organize all of this and I would periodically when I saw the rem episode was coming to an end. I would wake them up and say, Ali, Ali, what's going through your mind? So and then you would tell me. He Usually, dream recall is pretty good if you have someone waking you up and it's pitch dark, no sounds. And to stay up all night, I had to read interesting material. And Stanley Kripner, who's a pretty renowned psychologist in this field, who's now in his nineties, and he's still active, he's still writing, he's still speaking. He's truly remarkable.
Speaker 3: So Stanley Kripner side note ninety two years old right now, and he has been working in the field of altered consciousness, in dream telepathy and weird how does this happen? Kind of brain stuff for decades. Though of course there are critics of his data in his studies. I mean, it is a slippery thing to try to science.
Speaker 4: He was one of the major investigators on this study, and in his office he had a wonderful collection of books on psychedelics, scientific articles on psychedelics, you know, lay articles on psychedelics, anything you could imagine, anything that had come out. And he gave me free license to roam through his files and books lined up in shelves, and I just read constantly in there, and then one night I pulled a book. It was like a coffee table book with a lot of pictures, a good narrative by JB. Priestley, a British philosopher, called Man and Time. And I was reading and staring at some of the pictures, and I went through a part where there were pictures of mummies, and you know, about twenty thirty minutes later, my subject started going into a dream. I waited until her ram was you know, dissipating, it was, you know, leaving. So I woke her up and I said, what's going through your mind? And she said, oh, I'm in a desert and I see a pyramid, and then I was on top of the pyramids sliding down. So I thought, whoa, that's that's pretty that's a pretty good hit.
Speaker 3: And that evening studying dream telepathy was just weird enough and spooky enough to open this lifelong curiosity about the very question of consciousness. And just like dreaming, there are so many mysteries around psychedelic experiences, like how they create hallucinations, seeming portals to other dimensions, What was fact, what was lower? What was fiction? But it was enough to convince him to dedicate his life to figuring out how and why they worked and if they could help people medically.
Speaker 4: So it's right around then that I know there's something in this field that I'm interested in. And I was just so excited reading these books about the incredible potential. And so this criticular night was about, you know, three four in the morning, my father had said, wake him up. Without fail I had called him up, welcome from a deep sleep, and no idea why I was calling him. We didn't make sure everything was okay, everything was fine, but that I figured out what I want to do with my life. He said, what's that. I want to study psychedelics. They're fascinating so much. We can learn about the brain, the mind brain interface, we can learn so much about mental illness, and there's these remarkable treatments that seemed to be helping people for whom standard conventional treatments are not helpful. So he was silent for a while, and then he said, well, you know, son, there may be something to what you say, but no one will listen to you unless you get your credentials, which meant I had to go back that I dropped out of school after my middle of my junior year. You know, I wanted to travel. I also had infactious mounted nucleosis, needed to rest up, and he wanted me to get back to school. He was very clever how he got me back to school, and years later he said, you know, maybe I should have been, but I was a little surprised. You stuck with that, that vision, that determination. So he kind of understood what I was trying to do.
Speaker 3: From one doctor grub to another.
Speaker 4: Yeah right, Yeah, he actually had one mushroom experience he did in Mexico. Heah very very you know, straight lace, you know, a big time doctor, and never had much interest in recreational substances or explorations with psychedelics. You know. He would drink alcohol at a social event and that was about it. But one day I told him I was going to go to a talk that evening given by a Mexican psychiatrist named Salvador Roquette. He's renowned for doing very unusual work with psychedelics, kind of sensory overload, with sometimes combinations of psychedelics, sometimes one high dose on its own. So I introduced my father to Raquet after the talk, and Riquette was talking about his operation in Mexico City. So my father said, oh, you know, just how happens. In a few weeks, I'm going to be in Mexico City giving a talk at the medical school. So Raquet said, oh, you must come and visit me. I wrote down his address, and I'm thinking there's no way he's going to go, especially because my mother was going with him and she's much more conservative than him. So they met with her. Caddie showed him around, told him what he did, and then he said, just so happens, we're having a group session tonight. Why don't the two of you join us?
Speaker 3: Sorry?
Speaker 4: And my mother right away said, oh, I could never do that.
Speaker 3: I have four children, really like she would be a bad influence.
Speaker 4: She would decompensate, couldn't care for her kids. And so my father, without missing a beat, says, oh what time. My mother was furious at him. He had to tell him, it's not going to do it. He was just talking through that and to prove it, because Raquett also said, if you're going to come, don't eat anything the rest of the day. So it proved to my mother that he was not going to go. They went out and had a big lunch after what he said, you know, I changed my mind again. I'm going, oh dear, oh dear, So he got my mother's furious when my father goes. So it's a group of about twenty people in a large room, sitting along and there's this very intense music, and simultaneously three videos are going one of beautiful, aesthetically pleasing scenes from nature, another of erotomania of anything you could imagine, and the third of documentary footage of warfare bodies in the street execution.
Speaker 3: So his doctor dad is tripping in a room with visuals of like a beautiful screensaver of nature, another of essentially vintage porn, and then another wall footage of an actual bloodbath. And I'm hoping that the attendance was free, because that sounds like a mixed bag. Oh, and all of this was on a heavy lunch of like spaghetti or beans or something just fucking kill me.
Speaker 4: And the music was just really intense, really driving, and the patients there were emoting very loudly, I'm sure, and my father started to feel really sick, so he made his way to the bathroom and wretched his guts out. Yeah, and then lapse and thought this was the end of him. Meanwhile, one of the helpers saw he was missing from the spot, went into the bathroom, found him, dragged him back, propped him up against the wall, and then my father tells me he proceeded to have this incredible vision of a primitive desert road, people walking across the desert, one behind the other, connected from one to the other by their unbelikas. Oh he realized these were his ancestors. Oh wow, that was this very, very profound experience, and he got it. I think a great deal out of it. He changed in some funda better ways, Like I think he became less of a type a personality, more capable of enjoying himself. But he had a remarkable experience. Of course, my mother was furious, I was going to say when she to me, Oh, you should have seen how he looked. He looked terrible.
Speaker 3: And rookie mistake eating a big lunch.
Speaker 4: No, you never do that, But he was just that was their relationship to these crazy situations.
Speaker 3: Yeah, what a massively profound dreamer vision, Like all of your ancestors tethered by this life giving flesh rope leading right up to you, like the best version of a human centipede, and you have so so so many great grandparents you don't have a clue about. And if you have kids, and if you generations, your progeny might not even know your name or your face unless you make it into the history books or you get arrested or something. But tickle the brain with some chemistry and it flashes in front of you like a Willy Wanka tunnel, at least for doctor Grobe's dad, Doctor Grob Was this before or after you decided to study this?
Speaker 4: Oh? This was after this? That is why why did he doing it? I mean it could have been to connect with me. It could have been because he was curious. Who knows. You know, we talked about it a lot afterwards over the years, and you always kind of lit up when he would talk about it, get kind of animated. But he never was inclined to do it again.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 3: It's interesting because I have heard from so many people it's one of the most impactful experiences of their lives when done in a setting that is complimentary to what they need, and in books like journalist Michael Pollins's first person journey How to Change Your Mind and the Netflix series of The same name. I have heard that a well orchestrated, doctor approved trip like this is impactful on par with the birth of a child, which sounds like a little sketch. It sounds like a little bit of hype, but people swear by it. So what is happening chemically to make this big of an impression. So I've talked about molecular neurobiology with doctor Crystal Dilworth in the past about the role of neurotransmitters. Now, is a trip like a barge of fireworks exploding, but on a subcellular level. But is it serotonin? Is it dopamine?
Speaker 4: Well, it's with the classic psychedelics like psilocybin, LSD dimetholchip to mean, it's primarily the serotonergic system. The sub receptor is primarily the five HT two A or the serotonin two A receptor. It seems to get stimulated. They are a host of other sub receptors which probably have a role in this also, I mean there are other ways of looking at this. Robin Carhart Harris is now at UCSF as his default mode network theory, which is that the default mode network is tasked in central nervous system to hold it together and to ruminate on things, to be somewhat obsessive, somewhat negativistic. That kind of goes offline, and then a short time later there's a re equilibration process and the default mode network is far less active, and individuals have these very profound, spiritual opening experiences, very profound insight to their own psychodynamics, and they feel this is connected to what appears to be what's so interesting about these psychedelics not that they facilitate an antidepressant response. You know, ketamine does that also, And I'm not so wild they're academy in part because within a week, maybe two, you're back to baseline. But with's psilocybin or LSD or maybe ayahuasca with DMT. Not always, but it can be a sustained therapeutic effect that persists over time.
Speaker 3: And is that because when you're in that state, when you go through equilibrium again, your baseline default network is just a little bit less active.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Those networks in the brain kind of go offline for a brief period of time, allowing the system to re equiliborate. It's actually a very fancy, you know model mechanism. I find it an appealing, you know, psychobiological.
Speaker 3: Model just a quick overview. So there are a few types of hosynogens from a neurobiological standpoint. So first there are alkaloids like trip to meines which have similar chemical structures, and they include psilicide, which can convert to silicin once digested. And then there are the compounds of LSD and DMT, with DMT offering much shorter trip experience. And there are also compounds called phenethylamines like mescaline which occurs in the cactus peyote and MDMA is sometimes called the hallucinogen, but others argue that it's actually an empathogen which aids in social connectedness. Now Ketamine, which is being explored for treatment resistant depression, is called more of a dissociative anesthetic. Now. Ayahuasca is a South American indigenous medicine and it's composed of several different plant compounds and some deliver what's called monoamine oxidase inhibitors, meaning that they prevent the brain from sweeping away amounts of dopamine and serotonin and norepernephrine from the synapses. That also means that the amount of neurotransmitters in the gut can be affected, which can lead to that kind of sacred act of purging, which is just fire hosting your problems out at both ends your body, respectfully speaking. Now, the second punch of ayahuasca is also DMT, which occurs naturally in plants and in our brains in very small amounts. Unless you know you've just sipped some ayahuasca tea where your entire digestive and central nervous system becomes kind of a funhouse water slide of dreams and nightmares. And you know, it's interesting too that you worked in a dream research center. Is there anything correlating between dreaming and hallucinating?
Speaker 4: What'sing like that? Yeah? Yeah, if you talk to some people who and this is particularly the case I think with plant hallucinogens, plant psychedelics, that they will talk about having a very introspective experience, came to a waking dream. Yes, they knew where they were, they knew what was going on, they knew why they were there, they knew they were altered. But they're in a reverie. They're having a vision, a story is playing out, and there can be dialogue, there can be purpose.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Yeah, So in our Onnurology episode about dreaming, doctor William Domhoff explained that neuroimaging research reveals hypnosis is not like psychedelics or hallucinogens or like dreaming, and that every one of those states has a different network supporting it, and the dreaming network is different from all of those altered states of consciousness networks. And as this twenty seventeen Journal of Current Neuropharmacology paper titled Dreams and Psychedelics Neurophenomenological Comparison and Therapeutic Implications explains, so psychedelic states are closest to lucid dreaming, which is characterized by this mixed state of dreaming and waking consciousness and has the potential for long term beneficial effects on psychosocial functioning and wellbeing. So tripping is not really dreaming, although some hallucinogens can also promote vivid dreams, meaning that they're in a neuragen and one of those substances is a Central African rainforest shrub called iboca.
Speaker 4: You know, that's like in West Africa there they talk about you. No, you feed the initiate eboca until they have a vision of an ancestor, often in the form of this waking dream, or they die of a cardiovascular collapse which hy or they are very serious about their sacraments. They don't mess around. And that's true. And also it's true that I began has some cardiac risks, and there have been some unfortunate fatalities, not in this country, overseas, you know, where an individual's significant history for cardiovascular disease was not properly recognized or taken into account.
Speaker 3: So it's like before you run a marathon, check with a doctor before you do evoca, maybe.
Speaker 4: Saying you should not that the doctor will know what you're talking about, but he needs to take an ekgen see if you have a Probably the people who ran into trouble had late in the arrhythmias that they may not even have been aware of. A lot of people don't know. If they haven't a rhythm, their chest may go through funny flutters and flips and turns, but you tune that out. A lot of people tune that out. Then they don't want to talk to the doctor about something that could be serious.
Speaker 3: Right, No, it's a real bummer, it is. So, Yes, we need a cardiology episode coming up. I'm on it. Also, yes, if you're going to toss any drugs into your system or stop doing any that have been prescribed. Please please talk to your doctor and be frank with them. They have absolutely heard weirder questions. You can see our radiology episode for things found up butts. But if you died from shyness or ignorance, they would be HELLI sad. So talk to your doctors.
Speaker 4: You would need people to be absolutely direct and revealing. I know the case is sad. Case a seventy four year old man in the Northwest who had never taken a psychedelic but read the Michael Pollin book and felt okay, he was ready. This was his time. He arranged for an underground therapist who had a good reputation. He met with him a couple of times, and the guy came over to do the session and he took a moderate to high dose and within an hour he had died of a cardiac arrest. The doctor said there was no history of cardiac disease, but he had never checked him for cardiac disease. The guy had never complained. He probably rarely went in to see the doctor.
Speaker 3: Is this eboca or that was mushrooms? That wasoms? Really?
Speaker 4: So you can get cardiac issues with mushrooms and vulnerable people. So here we're planning a new study that will include people we in the past have screened out, like people with cardiac history, older people. We always had an upper age limit of sixty sixty five, maybe seventy, but not to go over because we were always concerned that, you know, adverse outcome could cause our study to shut down and other studies to shut down.
Speaker 3: So to be on the safe side, there was an upper age cap because just one tragic study can really hinder research across the whole field globally. But that is changing as more people toward end of life are willing to take that risk. Maybe just because they're boomers and they tripped when they were younger. Who knows. Also there are more medical safety nets available, doctor Grob says.
Speaker 4: But now, because we're looking at a pragmatic model, what are the real life implications going to be? We need data on people with cardiac vulnerabilities. You know, we'll have a crash card there, you know, to resuscitate people. We'll have people trained in CPR ready to dive in and hopefully nothing will happen. But we need to collect this data that really hasn't been done. I collected some data in both my psilocybin treatment of advanced cancer anxiety study, and I also collected data in our ayahuasca study in Brazil years ago, but we never published the Brazilian data because it was summer. It was incredibly hot and humid, and my primary collaborator took the EKG sheets. They just tossed them in a desk drawer. When he went back to retrieve them at the end of the summer, they you know, the the ink had kind of dissolved.
Speaker 3: Oh no, nmath. Well, I'm curious too because you mentioned ayahuasca as well, because I know we're talking about mushrooms, but when it comes to like ayahuasca, mescaline, psilocybin, even LSD like structurally, are the really big differences or are they kind of working in the same pathway?
Speaker 4: They look chemically, some of them look similar. They don't have an indole ring, which is a kind of a five sided ring with a nitrogen atom in there. That's pretty commonplace for the trip to means.
Speaker 3: And a trip to mean, remember, is an alkaloid found in many plants and even in humans, and the common feature is this chemical structure called an indul ring, which diagrammatically, if you look at a drawing of it, it looks like if you glued the big dipper and the little dipper together at the ladles. So that's the base structure, and then little tweaks in additions give you other compounds like serotonin or melatonin or DMT or psilocybin. So one little extra chemical do Hicki here or there, and you have a different neuromodulator that changes brain activity.
Speaker 4: So there are similarities. In fact, there's similarity to the essential neurotransmitter serotonin. Serotonin is five hydroxy trip to me. Psilocybin is four phosphorloxi and then dimethyl trip to me, so it's only adding a phosphorloxi molecule or silicin and then dimethyl trip to me. You flip the five hydroxy over to the four position and suddenly you've got a psychedelic Silicin isn't used generally in treatment because it's very short acting, but people interest and also there's now a run for profiteering where people haven't really looked at cilicen so they can get a patent. That's a problem in the field is that the big moneyed interests are circling the wagons. You know, they're ready to attack and get milk whatever they can get out of this.
Speaker 3: So yes, psilocybin can be synthesized and in lab trials, volunteers are not choking down dried mushrooms and hoping that there's a standard ised dosage. They're really carefully controlled weights and delivered in pill form.
Speaker 4: So mushrooms, you look at different mushroom species, you look at what percent concentration psilocybin, what percent concentration silicin. There's another alkaloid called beocysteine, which no one has ever looked at, as far as I'm aware, that would be interesting. They really want to do some novel research look at beosysteine. Mushrooms at beosysteine are different, fundamentally different than psilocybin cubensus, which has primarily psilocybin with the BeO cystine, like I think as essence or sign up, since I think there's greater focus, greater acuity of thought, and maybe less carried away by vision and reverie. That's been my observation, but no one has formally looked at that that's all anecdotal stuff. See, mushrooms vary in their potency depending on where they grew, when they were picked, what the climactic conditions were, what time of the day or night. Oh, so you want to get the equivalent of one to two or one to three milligrams of equivalent synthetic psilocybin.
Speaker 3: So in clinical settings like the twenty twenty three study titled Single Dose Psilocybin Treatment for Major Depressive Disorder, a twenty five milligram dose of synthetic psilocybin was administered once in this specific setting, which we're going to get to it a bit, and the study found that psilocybin treatment was associated with a clinically significant sustained reduction in depressive symptoms and functional disability without any adverse effects. So those findings add to this evidence that psilocybin, when administered with psychological support can hold promise, as they say, a novel intervention for major depressive disorder. But of course in these trials they're screening out folks who might be at risk for complications physically or a subsequent psychosis that could last for months. Now, when it comes to dried mushroom amounts, A pretty big whopper of a trip might be around three grams, five grams and beyond is considered what's called a heroic dose. Now on the tiny end of the scale is microdosing, which is a regiment of a few times a week at zero point one two point three grams, like a tenth of a trip. But can your brain have this imperceptible brush with mushrooms, like on a Tuesday at work and still see benefits?
Speaker 4: Now there's this whole controversy over microdosing. Yeah, and it was very exciting to hear about these reports at first, and the anecdotal reports look very good. But as of yet, there's no rigorously controlled, methodologically sound study that demonstrates that microdosing is any better than a placebo. So I think the case is still out. It's not been resolved. It's a tough model to administer. I looked into it years ago, and you've got to administer it under supervision in a research setting. And then I've always believed the FDA would insist they have to stay there all day and that's you know, eight to twelve hours, yeah, you know, and it's hard to recruit people just to sit around on a microdose. But that's what it would take. I mean, some people are coming up with models where you give the patient the microdose, tell them to take it home, tell them to take it at a certain time, maybe they turn on a zoom or another video, but that there are too many ways where that can go off the rails.
Speaker 3: I think, why can't we figure out if microdosing has benefits? So anecdotally some people say it's been extremely helpful for them, just asking so many people I know who are a little bit bummed out and looking for answers. But as we know from research into antidepressants, the placebo effect tends to be as powerful as the administered pharmaceutical, because hope is one hell of a drug, but on the upper end of the microdosing spectrum, like three milligrams of psilocybin instead of that big twenty five milligrams given for big trips, or like a half a gram of dried mushrooms zero point five grams. One study showed those larger microdoses giving light, kind of buzzy perceptible effects were more beneficial to overall mood and well being than a placebo. But what about the big big, big doses. Who does that? And what about the studies about the larger doses and those kind of transformative experiences like the one the end of life ones that you've done.
Speaker 4: Like, well, I didn't use a heroic dose. Terrence McKenna would say, He would say, use a heroic dose in the dark and on the floor.
Speaker 3: How big is a heroic dose of mushrooms?
Speaker 4: What like forwards?
Speaker 3: Okay, that's a lot, that's a lot.
Speaker 5: Now.
Speaker 4: I asked Dennis, who's my good friend, his brother, who is my collaborator on the ayahuasca site. So I've known one of my best friends, and he said Terrence never did that. He talked it up, but he was too smart to do that himself. So beware. Some people say beware the underdose. I'll say, beware going over the top and dosing too high. Yeah, above all, we want to preserve safety because this won't go forward as a field or get any kind of legal sanction unless strong consistent safety parameters alreadhered to.
Speaker 3: So yeah, big trip studies like doctor Grobs use twenty five milligrams of straight psilocybin, which, according to this twenty twenty two paper the Therapeutic Use of psilocybin practical considerations for dosing an administration. There's an assumed one percent of psilocybin per one gram of dried mushrooms, so a twenty five milligram straight psilocybrin would be about two point five grams of mushrooms. And several studies indicate that this type of therapy is most effective for, say, cancer related depression and anxiety, or treatment resistant depression, or alcohol use disorder tobacco addiction. But do not expect your doctor to just scrawl out like shrooms on a notepad and send you on your way. And can you tell me a little bit about the history of the legality of it. I understand that like in the fifties, the government was all about it, and then some stuff went down with LSD research and then it was just like verbote, no one talking about it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, what went down? Tim Leary and all the publicity. He loved getting attention, He loved the notoriety.
Speaker 5: His involvement with the mind expanding drug LSD has resulted in his being praised by a faithful minority and damned by an irate majority. A man very much in the news. Here is doctor Timothy Leary.
Speaker 4: Drugs even like alcohol. Their instruments which expand consciousness.
Speaker 3: They speed up the mind, turn on, tune in, and rob out.
Speaker 4: He paid a price. He had kind of a tragic life, you know. He spent years maximum security prison. He was a wrestled in Algeria by Eldridge Clever or crazy wild story, arrested again in Switzerland. I got to know at the end of his life to those good friends with his old student Ralph Metzner. So I would drive Ralph over there when Ralph came into town to see tim. He's a remarkable guy, brilliant, but he paid a price.
Speaker 3: Doctor Group says. Both Leary's wife and daughter died by suicide, and Ralph Metzner was one of Timothy O'Leary's research partners in Harvard, alongside this spiritual in yoga guru and a psychologist named Ramdas who I just found out today. Ramdas was born Richard Albert. He's a white guy from Massachusetts. I had no idea, but anyway, before.
Speaker 4: That, LSD was first discovered nineteen forty three April nineteenth, nineteen forty three by Albert Hoffman. It was a fluke serendipitous unintentional phenomena where what's believed to have been the case is that Hoffman had a cut on his hand. He was using a very low dose, but he absorbed some through the cut, and there must have been a cut in the glovey he had on as well, because he was pretty fastidious about conditions.
Speaker 3: So he was working for a pharma company and at the time he was studying the medicinal uses of a plant called a sea onion or a maritime.
Speaker 4: Squil, and it was the absorbent of preachable amount. I felt like he was He didn't feel it ill. He felt he was losing sets of balances orienta, and so he got back home slept it off. Then a few days later, actually the first one was in April sixteenth, the second one April nineteenth. That was the first intentional LSD experience. He measured out an exceedingly small amount because he was going to start extremely low dose and then gradually, over some days or weeks, work up the dose. And he was testing on himself, which is an old modeling, yeah, photo experimentation, So he self administered two one hundred and fifty micrograms, which is a high dose.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I say, I don't know a lot about LSD, but I know.
Speaker 4: That's a lot. It's not today's recreational dos with recreational dose. When I was in college, we would take very high dosages.
Speaker 3: I have never done LSD, and frankly, I would be terrified to just buy it off some jabbroni. But according to the twenty twenty study acute dose dependent effect of lysergic acid diethylamide in a double blind, placebo controlled study and healthy subjects, people start feeling effects at twenty five micrograms of LSD, and a ceiling effect was observed for good drug effects at one hundred micrograms. Now at two hundred micrograms, you're talking further ego dissolution and anxiety and a trip that could last the better part of a whole day. Now, that day, Albert Hoffman took two hundred and fifty micrograms.
Speaker 4: So then Hoffman again felt ill. He felt they needed to get home, so he was a lab assistant. He got on his bicycle, which the famous bicycle ride, which took forever. It took him forever to get home. He gets home, he takes tho his bed. He tells his wife that he's dying. He had been injured in an experiment and to call the doctor. So she was very concerned. She did what he said, She called the doctor. By the time the doctor got to house, he was having a fantastic experience. So this is extraordinary. You know. He was watching objects morphed into other objects with ice closed. He would have these visions, often of nature, natural settings. Forrov. He just had a amazing time. Thought there's something to this. He spoke with his colleagues at Sandoz pharmaceutical and Basel, Switzerland, and they started manufacturing it and sending out samples to some of the leading psychiatrists around the world, mostly in Europe and North America. And this was in the early fifties. There was a great deal of excitement. The psychedelics were the cutting edge of psychiatric research, and there was an enthusiasm in Europe, enthusiasm in the US. There's a lot of work going on in Canada.
Speaker 3: So everyone got excited about this. And then the Department of Defense popped its head up like a merrkat being like what y'all doing? Because remember the Second World War had just wrapped up and nuclear weapons had entered the scene, mechanized death was a big business, and it still is so. In the early nineteen fifties, the bureaus of military defense like the CIA and the FBI were like, oh, hey, I.
Speaker 4: Thought it might be valuable in helping their agents resist brainwashing and interrogation, but also making it more likely that an enemy agent who is captured will spill up their secrets. Yeah. So it's called the mk Ultra program, and it was done under very unethical conditions. Sometimes they would just dose random people without their knowledge.
Speaker 3: Oh dear, so doctor grow or Charlie says that in San Francisco, the mk Ultra project had an apartment with a one way mirror where they would enlist sex workers to bring back regular unsuspecting clients and dose them with LSD. And I found a news release stating the Director of Central Intelligence appeared today in San Francisco and he asked the city's forgiveness for that spy agency's operation of a bodyhouse at twenty two to fifty Chestnut Street during the mid fifties. That was a press release. First off, a body house, that's a word. Secondly, the CIA called this program, I'm not kidding, Operation Midnight climax, which is so cheesy. It's so cheesy. Now, where did I find all of this information in this news release? Via the website CIA dot gov. Okay, now, also, I had to know right now what stands at twenty two to fifty Chestnut Street. Now that it's not an acid house, government run brothel, by the grace of God, it is now a restaurant called Tacolicious. And I checked their menu and unfortunately they do not serve Michelo ultra. But back in the day, a nightcap could be spiked as hell and you wouldn't even know it.
Speaker 4: So these guys had no idea what was going on. There's also another case a military scientist who was active in the biological warfare program who had gone to Europe and had seen some very unethical and very dangerous behaviors by his colleagues, and back in the US and Maryland, his colleagues dosed him at at a kind of a clandestine meeting. He flipped out. They took him to New York, put him in a hotel room with an agent to keep an eye on him, took him to a military intelligence psychiatrist who was trying to make sense of what was going on, and they were concerned that this guy was going to spill the beans and blow their cover. So what happened to him, and this was not revealed until the seventies, and only because his family wouldn't allow it to be swept under the rug. This is early fifties. He jumped to his death from a twentieth floor of the nineteenth floor. Yeah, and intelligence didn't come clean about what had happened until the Church Committee in the late seventies, which was investigating MK Ultra and other questionably ethical, questionable legal activities of the Intelligence service. So that was going on. The military was really playing it loose with safety and ethics, sadly enough.
Speaker 3: And one research team via the nonprofit Shakruna Institute for Psychedelic Plant Medicine, dug into nearly fifty studies in this era and found that test subjects were often incarcerated people and those in mental hospitals, administered very high doses of psychedelics for long periods of time, and people of color were also routinely exploited and subjected to what the paper even called brutal experimentation, saying that black participants were given more than double the dose at one hundred and eighty micrograms of LSD compared to white participants who got seventy five, and white participants endured eight days of LSD administration, while black participants endured chronic LSD administration for up to eighty five days. Now, as for Frank Olsen, that scientist who was dosed well, according to the book Prisoner in Chief, Sydney Gotlieb and the CIA Search for Mind Control, Sydney was his boss. Olsen had formerly been in charge of the airborne distribution of biological germs. So Olsen was a guy who was able to disguise cans of shaving cream and bug spray to hold lethal toxins. He even designed a lipstick case that could kill on skin contact. But after his acid trip, it said that he realized that the experiments were not ethical and he wanted to leave the research. As for his suicide from the nineteenth floor, decades after his death, his family had been fighting this, had had gone to Washington and gotten a settlement for his wrongful death. But then in nineteen ninety four, his son Eric had his body exhumed and found that the blunt force trauma to his head wasn't consistent with his other fall injuries on his back. So in short, this shit was shady, and so we saw a decline in funding.
Speaker 4: Well research was going through in the fifties, although in retrospect it turned out a number of these studies were funded by fronts for the CIA or fronts for military intelligence. Wow, so that was happening. But then also in I think it was a summer of nineteen sixty, a relatively young instructor of psychology at Harvard took vacation in Couernavaca, Mexico, and a friend of his, a colleague, he went and visited Maria Sabina, because in nineteen fifty seven there had been a Life magazine article of ar Gordon Wasson's adventures going into the highlands of central Mexico discovering a native healer who used mushrooms in her healing practice.
Speaker 3: So this was Maria Sabina, a Sabia or a wise woman from the Wahawkan area of southern Mexico who came from generations of Shamans who used psilocyeby mushrooms to heal the sick and to help people have visions of things that they lost.
Speaker 4: So R.
Speaker 3: Gordon Wawlson, a guy who just loved mushrooms and worked as a banker, lies and tells Maria that he's looking for his lost son.
Speaker 4: She introduced him to the mushrooms. He swore up and down he would never revail it to the outside world, and of course he blew the lid off this by publishing his accounts in Life magazine.
Speaker 3: Oh man.
Speaker 4: So, after Leary got into this, he did some really good work. He had some really fine papers, but he had an unfailing need to call in attention off the negative attention, and he was just freaking people out. He was told by one of the deans at Harvard that he could continue with his psychedelic research so long as he didn't recruit undergraduates to study. He could recruit graduate students, but not undergraduate students. Tim Leary never met a rule he didn't feel he had to break. He brought in some undergrads, and before you know it, they were kicked out of Harvard. Bye.
Speaker 3: So when it came to you studying this, how much did you want to dive into the ethnobodany of it and the indigenous uses of it?
Speaker 4: Oh? Well, I'm fascinated with that. I did some writing with Marlene doctor Derius, who was an anthropologist. She was a scholar in this area, gifted writer, and she wanted to co write with a psychiatrist, and she figured I was the one. So we wrote a lot together. You know, I spent some time in Brazil. I made a number of trips down to Brazil. We did, you know, several fairly substantial studies, and we worked with people who are members of a syncratic church which has permission from the government to use yahuasca as a sacrament in their ceremonies. We didn't do any research with actual indigenous people, but I learned as much as I could as long as I was down there and heard some good stories and have a great deal of respect for the indigenous traditions from which we This is why we're talking about psychedelics today, because the of the indigenous people from centuries ago made a collective decision not to give up their use of in theogenic plants, but rather to hide them from the conquistadors. From the invading conquering Europeans, particularly the Spaniards and the Portuguese in South America and Central America and actually, I think that there's a lot of focus these days on monetizing psychedelic work. I really think there needs to be a provision in all this that some of the proceeds need to be directed towards the descendants, who are often the most marginalized and mistreated and impoverished people in the world, whose environments we have destroyed, as cultures we have destroyed. But they kept that knowledge secret from the Spaniards and the Catholic friars and held.
Speaker 3: It until some American guy I came there, lied, took advantage of a healer, didn't protect our identity, published, everything turned a profit and then went on to be funded by MC ultra. So people start getting word of this, and after everyone from John Lennon to Bob Dylan and Mick Jagger and CIA operatives flocked to her village, Maria Savino was driven from it and later died in poverty. And A recent paper titled Ethical Principles of Traditional Indigenous Medicine to Guide Western Psychedelic research and Practice starts with acknowledging that Indigenous people's voices in leadership have been notably absent from Western psychedelic research and psychedelic assistant therapy spaces, with the field currently being widely represented by Western peoples, and when Indigenous voices have been engaged, their presence has often been more symbolic with little distributed benefit going back to their communities. And the lead author of that paper is Jeria Seladwin, who was born into this family of indigenous mystics and healers and poets in Mexico and is a UC Berkeley Othering and Belonging Institute Senior Fellow, And she points out that Western psychedelics or recreational mind manifesting isn't treated as a sacred act and that these medicines are not about the human mind alone. They reveal spirit, the very animating principle of life, she writes, and that paper urges researchers to consider the eight elements of reverence, respect, responsibility, relevance, regulation, reparation, restoration, and reconciliation in trials and practice. And now here we are, and here I am a white lady talking about taking indigenous psychedelics because I wanted to Maricondo minurosis. And after a quick break, we'll be back with some of the protocol that's used in clinical settings and what people who do this under doctor or healer supervision are told to do. But first we're going to take a quick break from sponsors to the show who make it possible for us to donate to a cause and consistent with doctor grobs wishes to acknowledge indigenous practice, it's going to go to the Chakruna Institute for Psychedelic Plant Medicines, which is a nonprofit run by a small staff of experts and enthusiastic volunteers who work to bring education and cultural understanding about psychedelic plant medicines to a wider audience. And I quoted some of their work earlier, and they pioneer initiatives that support and provide a platform for diverse voices, including women, queer people, people of color, indigenous people, and the global South. So that is chakruna dot net which will be linked in the show notes, so odination will go to them. Things to sponsors to the show.
Speaker 1: McDonald's wraps all flavor, no mess, no drips on your drip or grease on your shirts, no crumbs on your keyboard or sauce on your doshboard. Just all the flavor of sweet chili, chicken, barbecue, and bacon chicken and new Tika Chicken wrapped up nice served after eleven a m teaka Chicken rap available until thirteenth July twenty six. Fees applied to delivery orders subject to availability.
Speaker 2: Love MNS quality and value you can trust. At MNS you can update your home, your wardrobe and theirs with quality you can count on. There's the ultimate twelve euro les bras, the softest ever kid sweats from six euro fifty, luxurious Egyptian cotton towels from eight euro twenty five, and so much more value you can trust only at MNS, shop in store or at Marks and Spencer dot I. Of course, our supermarket has a cheesemonger, Our cells the milk of nineteen different mammals.
Speaker 4: What does yours of an entire aisle dedicated to venison.
Speaker 3: Feel my curtains? Guess where they're from. Our supermarket has a granola launch. Ours has a sorbe Chage, Molly and sult library. We're having our honeymoon and ours.
Speaker 2: Have another feel of my curtains.
Speaker 4: Oh, has your supermarket got notions?
Speaker 3: If so, switch to Aldi, where you'll get all the quality with none of the.
Speaker 2: Madness the prices you'll love aldi.
Speaker 3: It's not complicated. Okay, So next week we wants while your questions and please trust there are great ones. But let's continue on with how does a clinical neuropsychiatrist administer psilocybin to WILL participants? And what does that feel like? Can you describe for anyone who's never done mushrooms what it is like for people experiencing it. I myself have taken like three point five grams and just like put on a mask. I use the Yale protocol and like Imperial College of London. This is the suggestion of my own psychiatrist, who was like, I think this would be good, and he's like a buttoned up Beverly Hills dude. It's just like, you know, I think that this is something you should consider. So so I did all this, you know, and wrote out my intentions ahead of time, like all that stuff.
Speaker 4: But well, three point five grams of it's a normal potency. It should be a nice doves. Yeah, it won't spin you out into the hemisphere, but you all have a good, good experience.
Speaker 3: Oh, I talked to so many dead people. It was wild, and it was before I did it, I was skeptical that it would be that big of a memory for me, or that big of an experience in my life, and it was completely transformative. Everything feels like before and after that, And I have that as a benchmark of like what my optimal living experience could be, of like how I can look at the world through that window. And you know, I've talked to friends who have tried micro dosing, or who have tried mushroom gummies here or there, or who have tripped at Coachella and it was weird. And so I have friends who have asked me, like, what that's like. But I know everyone has their own experience. But when you are prepping people for this, how do you describe it?
Speaker 4: Well, first of all, I'm always wary about recreational settings. Yeah, yeah, things can go wrong, things do go wrong. Yeah, But when you've got a formal setting, you know, first of all, you need to meet the facilitator. He or she needs to kind of do a screening to make sure you don't have any conditions which would screen you out, and then he or she will describe the range of experience and also get to know more about your background. Very very importantly, your facilitator should ask you to spend sometime reflecting on what is your intention? What do you hope to get out of this experience? Is it healing? Is it when you want a spiritual experience? Do you need insight into a particular issue? You need to focus on what is your intention? Even you know, journal beforehand about what you hope to get out of this. And it's uncanny how the intention will manifest, even if you don't realize it at the time. Later when you're reviewing what happened. It's always good to write. When you're done, when the session is closed, the lights go on, just pull out your notebook and pen and just scribble whatever is in our mind, to nail it down, because what you write down, you remember very very clearly.
Speaker 3: I did this, and you know what, why not? In part two, I'm going to redo some I got to find it, but we're going to see what's in there. Also, for the record, this was in Oregon. Okay, it's legal there. It was an Oregon.
Speaker 4: So then you've got you know, you've got the preparatory experience and their intention is really important. Then you've got the actual experience, and you've got to allocate six to eight hours the facilitator should not leave you too soon, you know, and there needs to be good boundaries in the treatment room. That there have been some you know, missteps with boundaries in the past present, so that needs to be very clearly stated up front what the boundaries are regarding touch and stuff like that. And what we did was we didn't want to be overly intrusive to the subject, so we would check in every hour and you know kind of you know, tap their knear, tap their arm and say, how you doing, what's going on?
Speaker 3: I'm tripping doctor, And.
Speaker 4: Then we did a blood pressure and then as long as there wasn't anything major they needed to talk about, it's okay, lie down, put on the headphones, the ice shades, go deep into the experience. Now. Sometimes people will sit up between the hours, take off the imass, take off the headphone, and say I got to talk to you. And then you hear them out a little bit and sometimes yeah, they got a lot to talk about. We want to do it now. But sometimes, as you know, we have plenty of time at the end of the session to talk about this and in the days afterwards. So let's just put the mask on, let's put the headphones on, let's go deep into the experience.
Speaker 3: And in his well known paper Pilot Study of Psilocybin Treatment for Anxiety and Patients with advanced stage cancer, the methodology is laid out and experimental sessions took place in a hospital clinical research unit, but in a room decorated with fabric wall hangings and fresh flowers to provide a pleasing and comfortable environment, it says, and the volunteers checked in the day before, their cardiac health was monitored for twenty four hours ahead of time, and then they were given a light morning meal the morning of and at ten am a placebo or psilocybin was administered and the subject was encouraged to lie in bed wearing eye shades during the first few hours, as well as to put on headphones and listen to some pre selected music. And they were monitored during this whole six hour session and they were held a few hours after and told not to drive themselves home obviously, so they'd had a friend or family member pick them up, and later interviews collected data on what they perceived and how it felt, and according to the paper, they were asked to rate things like their quote oceanic boundlessness, their mood from elevated up to euphoric anxious, ego dissolution, visual and auditory hallucinations, and their sleepiness, which is okay, cool, this sucks if you got the sugar pill right.
Speaker 4: That reminds me of a story you know that happened. So we had a subject and everybody got two sessions. One was the act of drug. One was a placebo. The order was randomized and it was blinded, so neither the subject, nor myself nor my co facilitators knew what they were, but then we knew they would get one of each. So for the first session of this woman who had metastatic terminal cancer and a lot of reactive anxiety. Her first session, it's fairly convinced it was a placebo, but you know, you never know. So I was looking forward to a month later session two, and so we go through a little pre emblance, administer the psilocybin. She takes it, she lies empus. At one hour, nothing's happening, At two hours, nothing's happening. At three hours, nothing is happening. I'm getting concern of it and what could be going on? Did our research pharmacists slip up and give us a second placebo? But I figured, well, we just got to Then I said, I had one of the residents, psychiatric residents working with me with this patient, and I put him in charge of the music selection. So I said, you know, I think the music you are playing is just too mellow. We need something with a little more oomph to it. What do you have up here? He said, well, nothing up here, but down in my car, I was listening to Dead Can Dance. Do you know that anything?
Speaker 5: It was a god.
Speaker 4: Yes, it was Lisa Gerard.
Speaker 3: You know, yes, I know.
Speaker 4: It's not fabulous, and it's exactly what it pushes you. It really hamps it up. Yeah, fantastic, get it. So we pop it in and within minutes the floodgates open. She was sobbing, last, sobbing and sobbing, and I thought, oh, well, I know, I know, it's the real thing. Yeah, but also I didn't want it. It's rude. But I was thinking in my own mind what could be going on internally with her, and I thought, well, she must be getting in touch with her limited lifespan and her needing to let go of her attachments on in this world. But at the end of the session, when it was finally we concluded, we did our concluding ritual that I could talk. Well, what was going on? She says, Well, I had a vision of my father, who died many years ago. And my father and I loved each other very much, but we lived in a family where you didn't talk about emotions, so we never told each other how much we love them. So in my experience, in my vision, I was telling my dad how much I loved him, and he was telling me how much she loved me. And that was this remarkable experience. And Yeah, this was a woman who, before her participation in the study, had been on SSRIs for years. She never wanted to, she never felt she needed to go back on. Yeah the plan, lets go back on, but you'll give us a signal. Her positive mood impact sustained over weeks, months, and their last communication was maybe a year, and I don't think she survived much longer than that. But she still was told that she was deriving great benefit from that experience, and it really was this kind of re cafexis with her dad, who she grew up in a culture where you just didn't talk about feelings. Yeah, but internally, in her vision, she was talking about her feeling and he talked about his Wow Listen.
Speaker 3: Do we know where consciousness comes from? Not really? Do we know what dark matter is? Not really? Are there more life forms in the universe? We don't know what happens when we die unsure, but we do have an episode called quasi thanatology about near death experiences from a very straight laced researcher on the topic. But more on how or why we might talk to the dead in a bit. Also, just a wort of caution, don't stop or start any medications, including recreational, without your doctor's blessing. Check yourself for heart conditions anyway, even if you're not going to do drugs. And if you do use any kind of recreational drugs for the sake of your Internet dad's sanity, please read up on harm reduction test for fentanyl and all that. Obtain some emergency narcan think ahead. Okay, don't do anything illegal, please, But yeah, from a person who once raw dogged getting off effectser and nearly lost my whole mind with withdrawal anxiety attacks, please consider the risks of going off a medicine. Talk to your doctor. That was a big question. I have two questions from that. First, one maybe is easier. But if you're on an SNRI or an SSRI or a mood stabilizer, or you have a history of schizophrenia R what kind of like contraindications are there. I understand too that if you take psilocybin and you're on an SSRI or any kind of serotonin reuptake inhibitor, that it just won't work.
Speaker 4: Well. Yeah, yeah, the attenuation of effect. That's well known, and.
Speaker 3: If you don't know, you can see the twenty twenty three paper Attenuation of Psilocybin mushroom effects during and after SSRI, SLASH SNRI and a depressant use, which concluded that SSRI slash SNRIs appear to weaken psilocybin drug effects and this dampening effect may last as long is three months following antidepressant discontinuation. And that study was about psilocybin mushrooms specifically. But doctor Grob says.
Speaker 4: A colleague in my ayahuasca study, Chase Callaway from Finland. He and I published a paper together in the late nineties about adverse SSRI ayahuasca interactions causing a condition known as a serotonin syndrome. Yeah, because the ayahuasca contains miois and it just too much serotonin is swimming around in the sexual nervous system charging synaptic receptors, so with ayahuasca it could be dangerous, and we caution people about not mixing SSRIs and ayahuasca. It's somewhat controversial. I know people in Brazil who like to argue that, but I know what I've seen. I've seen several cases where that has clearly been the case. Yeah. Yeah. Otherwise, like if you take psilocybin or LSD and you're on prozac or something like that, it's an attenuation of effect, a dampening of effects.
Speaker 3: And another question I have, based on her story and my own story, why do we see so many dead people? I feel like everyone that I know who has done a mushroom trip, like my father died shortly before. I definitely talk to my dad a bunch. It felt like I was talking with him. I feel like I had a weird vision of my dead grandmother who came in when it first started to take effect. I told my sitter, who was my husband, I was like, it's so crowded here. There's so many ancestors who have come to meet me at the train station, and then you mentioned your dad's bilicus. Why do you think that it causes something in our brain?
Speaker 4: It taps into something very very primal, something very very deep, and I think it's a great mystery. Yeah, and it really explains I think religions that are based on ancestor connectedness, and you see that with the Eboca, the Buetze in West Africa and Gabon. Like I said earlier, the direction is have a vision of an ancestor, or we're going to keep feeding you this at Boca. This chopped up at Boca, you'll have a vision of an ancestor or you'll die, whichever comes first.
Speaker 3: Very serious, You better conjure for grandpa. Grandpa's here.
Speaker 4: Sometimes I wonder if some of these young people may be thinking on the spot.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's all good. Can I ask you some questions from listeners that they sent in some questions I told them you specifically were coming on a lot of people wanted to know about access. People wanted to know what's your opinion on legalizing all hallucinogenic mushrooms? How do you feel about Oregon recently legalizing it? Where are we at with it? If someone wanted to do this like my psychiatrist is like, just get a hold of them. So far I haven't been arrested for talking about it, right.
Speaker 4: Right, nor have I.
Speaker 3: So ask tremendous experts trippy questions, and next week we will cover so many juicy ones, from set and setting to criminalization, a critical look at the stone ape theory, fMRI studies, neurodivergence, astrophysics and psychedelics, how to be a good trip sitter, and my own experience following clinical guidelines for a big trip, which for the record, I did an Oregon where it's legal. Sure, So stay tuned and make sure you're subscribed for next week's intense and very wonderful conclusion of this. And of course we have links to doctor Grob's work in the show notes so you can follow up and see what he's been working on. Also, if you like podcasts, I'd like to take a moment to shout out my friend Rose Eveli's new one called Tested, A Surprising History of Women's Sports. It's about a group of female track and field superstars that are told they're too fast to be women. And Rose evelyth you may remember from our Futurology episode and as a host of the podcast flash Forward. Rose is an award winning reporter and writer. I'm honored to say they're a friend of mine, so subscribe to their new series Tested, which will trace the very surprising one hundred year history of sex testing in elite sports that led to this moment, and Rose will asks a question that goes far beyond sports, which is what fair and who decides? So you can look for Tested wherever you get podcasts. So that's my little plug for Ros. And as for us, we also have a new show called Smologies, available wherever you get podcasts, which each week we release a new, g rated and shortened episode of Ologies classics that are suitable for all ages, all occasions. So if you're going on a family road trip, get some Smologies in yours now. You can become a patron of Ologies at patreon dot com sash Ologies and we'll be asking wall the wall Patreon questions for next week's episode. Ologies. Merch is available at the link in the show notes. Aaron Talbert admin's our Ologies podcast Facebook group. Aveline Malik makes our professional transcripts. Noel Dilworth is our scheduling producer. Susan Hale is our managing director and Frankly our trip sitter every week, and Kelly Ardwyer does the website and piecing together. The fractals of audio are Chick Chafee and lead editor Mercedes Maitland of Maitland Audio. Nick Thorburn wrote the theme song. If you stick around to the end of the episode, I tell you a secret this week. It's that I will tell you more about my own mushroom experience next week. I've mentioned it briefly here and there in other episodes, but might as well get into it. Also, people are always like, Ali, why don't you just go to a professional salon to get your hair colored? Why do you do it with box dye in your bathroom? And I finally got my haircut, I look like an overgrown doodle with roots, and so I was like, you know what, I'm going to have a professional handle this. I'm worth it. But I have so much hair that whenever I get it done professionally, these poor colorists are like trying to whack their way, like frosting my yak hair with dye, and by the time they're done, it's been on my head so long that it's turned not copper as intended, but it always comes out this like brownish purple, and then it cost me two hundred dollars instead of like twelve dollars in my bathroom. But I took myself to a place, I treated myself, and I must report that my hair right now is purplish brown. But we tried. Maybe the stylists are just trying to tell me I'm not a good fake redhead. But anyway, I'm temporarily brunette now, which is just how it's going to go for a bit. Okay, next week we're going to get into more mystical neurobiological stuff deeper than my hair problems. Okay for by hacadermatology, homiology or do zoology, lithology, new technology, meteorology, all of metteratology, ethology, seriology, celenology. I have a great trip.
Speaker 1: I see dead people.