Speaker 1: It's time for Coffee and Company, fueled by Thornton's on Sports Talk seven ninety.
Speaker 2: Holy crap, I don't know who the hell we think when we.
Speaker 3: Are get off our show, idiots.
Speaker 1: The kids are crying to turn off your cultures are screwing it up. Gold Play Inner Murals, Brother, gold Play Inner Murals.
Speaker 3: They're supposed to be mature adults, but they're really not. Who's the kid here?
Speaker 1: Who's the kid here?
Speaker 3: Are you kidding me? Now? Here's nick Coffee.
Speaker 4: As much as I would like to believe that everybody that listens to this show listens to the whole three hours, but I know that's not true, especially when it comes to like the live version of the show, podcast is different.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 4: Maybe there are some people out there that listen every second of an entire three hour show. Maybe there's more of you than I realized. But what I'm getting at is I want to start today here, on a Tuesday afternoon.
Speaker 2: By the way, welcome in everybody.
Speaker 4: It's Coffee and Company, fuel by Thornton's here on Sports Talk seven ninety And rarely would I do this, but I'm going to start where we left off yesterday, the very end of the show. As the clock was winding down and we put the finishing touches On Monday show, I had about I don't know, two minutes left whenever I was just scrolling through Twitter to try to see if there was something maybe that I'd missed that I wanted to make sure and discuss, which really is a waste considering, you know, you don't have much time to get into anything at that point, that late in the game. But I saw some folks who work in the I guess the Carolinas as far as one of the thing. Might have been one of the TV guys that works for one of the stations, I don't know if it was Raleigh, Durham, Greensboro, whatever, And they were talking about the ACC Coach of the Year race, and really they weren't referencing the race. They were just stating that there really shouldn't be a race. Essentially, there's really no here we go. This is the guy's name. His name is Chris Lee, Chris C H R I S L E A. And then and by the way, that is his Twitter handle, and then you throw TV at the end of it. So he works for w R A L. So this is somebody that you know apparently has. I mean, he works for a news station, he covers h he's a sports guy, so I would assume that, you know, he covers ACC hoops for his employer, and maybe he has a vote when it comes to Coach of the Year. I'm not sure in the ACC but I just mentioned because it's gonna bother me, like I shouldn't care, but like it really will bother me usually when it comes to like awards, I'm you know, it's whatever, Like, obviously I wanted Lamar Jackson to win the MVP. I feel like he had a good enough season. Clearly it was his best season, to be honest with you when it comes to to statistics. But obviously he's raised the bar really high to where people are bored with Lamar being Lamar and now he needs to, you know, be even better.
Speaker 2: So anyways, like you'd have told me two months ago, if I.
Speaker 4: Would have gotten worked up if Pat Kelsey doesn't win ACC Coach of the Year, I probably would have said, you know, probably not. You know, I hope he wins it, but you know, this award is inconsistent really every Coach of the Year award out there at least that I know of. It's never based off the same thing. Sometimes it goes to a guy who is the best coach, meaning he coaches the best team, like he's the coach of the team who's the best in the league or the best in the country. And then sometimes it goes to a guy who really didn't accomplish anything substantial, but expectations were low and they overachieved. So because it's just been kind of whatever, it's the one award that like, even if I do have somebody that I really want to win, it just because of how, you know, inconsistently it's given out as far as the criteria, like it's just you know whatever, and it's been that way since the beginning of time. There should be a Coach of the Year, which just by avaul goes to the player I'm sorry, to the coach who's coaching the best team, and then there should be I don't know if you'd call it overachiever, because that that that in a way that's it's not really a backhanded compliment, is it. I don't know, like, oh, if you overachieve, you know, there's there's a slight level of like you you know, you aren't good, But man, you had a hell of a night kind of thing.
Speaker 2: Does that make sense?
Speaker 4: Like overachieving is actually something that you should be proud of, But there's there's just some a slight negative feel to it. But anyways, here we are two games left in the regular season. Louisville basketball is in the top fifteen of both poles, safely in the tournament, likely going to finish as this in second place in the ACC.
Speaker 2: And now I got to tell you, if if.
Speaker 4: Pat Kelsey doesn't win ACC Coach of the Year, I mean, there's nothing I'm gonna do about it, Like what what can I do? Call the ACC headquarters and make it complaint. I mean, if it's voted on by media members, then like you know, there's really nobody to complain to.
Speaker 5: No, you said yesterday you were gonna steal the award. You're gonna rip it right from John Shire's hands, and you're gonna personally deliver it to Pat Kelsey.
Speaker 2: That would be that'd be something.
Speaker 4: But I don't know if they actually, like do you think he's given the award? Because I've never I've never seen a coach like you know, obviously coaches have trophy cases right, Like they they have honors, like you know, what's on the resume of a coach as far as the credentials and the honors, the accolades they've received. But like, does the ACC actually give him a physical award for this? That's what I don't undert because if they do, then like maybe I should steal it. But then again, you know, whistle, I'd probably get caught not you know, I'm not I don't.
Speaker 2: I do a lot for Pat Kelsey.
Speaker 4: I'm not sure if i'd risk, you know, establishing a criminal record for the first time.
Speaker 2: In my life. One needs to be done, needs to be done.
Speaker 4: But yeah, like maybe maybe this is the time where I just you know, really and justice has served really forget about my fear of, you know, going to jail. I have a comfortable fear of the criminal justice system. I watch a lot of jail in prison TV shows and documentaries, which keeps me comfortably afraid of doing anything to put myself behind bars. But as you said, what's got to be done might need to be done. So I hate even coming off this way because I don't believe that anybody in the ACC.
Speaker 2: Is like out to get Louisville.
Speaker 3: I don't.
Speaker 4: I don't believe that, you know, I've always kind of just it's just how I'm wired. It's not you know, it's just, you know, everybody's different. Even when Louisville was obviously getting a lot of coverage for the bad scandals that were going on, there were some people that made it seem as if like they're just out to create negative news about Louisville, and like, I, you know, why would they do that. I mean, what benefit would they have from doing that. Louisville actually put themselves in headlines that you know, is good for business for those who cover you know, news because of the kind of things that went on.
Speaker 2: So again, I don't disclaimer.
Speaker 4: I don't think that anybody anti Louisville and they're like out to get us and there's some kind of conspiracy. I just don't believe that. But in the ACC, Louisville is not a OG. They're not one of the you know, original founding members. And we all know that when it comes to the ACC, it is run by the Carolinas, the Carolinas, the Dukes, the NC States, the Wake Forests, even the Clemsons when it comes to football specifically, So like they've just always seemed to get preferential treatment. And like, if it's put it this way, if it's fifty to fifty neck and neck for like ACC Player of the Week, I kind of feel like somebody who plays for one of those schools I just mentioned is likely gonna get it over, you know, somebody from Louisville or even somebody from like Pittsburgh, because we're not one of the originals, and there are and this is something that hasn't been not not to nerd out too much on media stuff, but when you go to cover an ACC event like the ACC football or basketball media days or the ACC Tournament, which I've done, all the majority of the people there are from the Carolinas. And there are so many different little markets that have a real, you know, dedicated team of covering sports. So what I'm getting at is when you look at the battle get when you think about who gets a ballot to put in like preseason ACC you know, all league honors, that kind of stuff, I would imagine because there's so many, like I would imagine, the majority of people that are there that get one of those are probably from that Carolina area. And look, I don't think they're all homers. Hell, maybe they live there, but they're from a different part of the country. That's just where they ended up getting their first job as a sports anchor.
Speaker 2: Or whatever it may be, or even a radio host.
Speaker 4: So again I'm trying my best that I make it sound like, you know, they're just out to screw Louisville over. But again, I just feel like with John shy or really having his best season and it's not even close since he got the job they do. I mean, I don't think he's had I mean that Duke hasn't had a bad year under Shire. This is his third year, correct, I think it is. Yeah, So as a head coach, he is in his third season. He went twenty seven and nine in his first two seasons, both of them. In fact, he had a very similar, very similar second season as he did a debut season twenty seven and nine and then twenty seven and nine. He went fourteen and six in his first year in league play, fifteen and five last year. Well, this year they're twenty seven and three, likely going to finish twenty nine in three and in the regular season that is, and they're probably going to finish nineteen and one in the In fact, I'm sorry they played last night. So they're going to finish twenty eight and three in the regular season nineteen and one, and there's no way to I mean, he's done a good job. I think Shire's done a really good job of not only coaching this team, but also you know building. I mean last night, or maybe it was might have been on Was it last night Duke and wake Forest play it was.
Speaker 2: I couldn't think of it.
Speaker 4: I couldn't remember it was his last night if it was the weekend either way, But Steve Forbes was talking about Shier and how he really did a good job of piecing together in the portal and and that's true. Like they didn't go out in the portal and get guys that everybody in the country wanted.
Speaker 2: They went out and.
Speaker 4: Got good players that could fit the exact role they needed and guys that would be comfortable embracing playing. You know, I'm gonna be the point guard at Tulane and now I'm gonna be a guard at Duke who comes off the bench and really.
Speaker 2: Just gives you defense. Like there's different. You know, there's oh there it is.
Speaker 5: Yep, that's that's the first time I've heard it all day. Honestly, it's very light.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you hear it right.
Speaker 5: Yes, No, I've like I said it. I don't know if they've just gotten further. I'm gonna in that bathroom or whatnot, because in the.
Speaker 4: Break, I'm gonna go I'm gonna go out there and just say, hey, do you know like how because I can't be cause I can't.
Speaker 2: I can't do the show like that. Yeah. No, that's that's tough.
Speaker 5: I mean, imagine what was a Friday Friday it was, I mean it might as well have sounded.
Speaker 2: Like it was actually in your studio, and it was.
Speaker 5: It was louder gosh, so that was it was louder on al Wait, no, it was that that right there. What we're here now, that's ten times less, ten times less faint than it was on It was like that Friday.
Speaker 2: So are you hearing that in your studio or are you hearing it through mine?
Speaker 5: I'm hearing in mine both. Yeah, I'm not hearing it through yours, probably because it's going at the same time. So but no, I hear it through my studio. Someone to answer that door.
Speaker 4: I mean, even even that is like gonna be hard to like not get distracted by like I don't even know what the hell I was talking about.
Speaker 5: Well, like I said, that's the first time I heard it yesterday, because remember or that I heard it today, because remember yesterday I texted you it was going on all day, and you said you were You're already on your way in, So I was trying to look out for you yesterday. I would have sent out out the bat signal earlier if I would have heard any of this today. That's it's the first time I heard them working on that today.
Speaker 2: All right, Well, I guess we'll power through.
Speaker 4: I genuinely don't remember what I was saying.
Speaker 2: About job wake four seconds.
Speaker 4: So John Shire, I can't say he's not done a good job. But there has to be like a level of there has to be a level of like, well, you know, he has a guy that some people think is the best player that's played college basketball in like ten twenty years. I mean, maybe that's an exaggeration, but you know, you don't have to look too hard to find people that will tell you that that Cooper Flag is better than Zion.
Speaker 2: Then he's better than Anthony Davis. I mean, he's great.
Speaker 4: So you shouldn't punish John Shire for coaching or doing a really good job coaching. And also you know he has really good player. That also speaks to the fact that you know he's winning. I can't do this.
Speaker 2: I mean, it's like they hear you in. So so here's my in again.
Speaker 4: I'm just I'm talking out loud here and just you know, I guess I'm thinking. When I'm thinking, I'm thinking out loud asking questions that I know you don't know the answer to.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but I'd love to give the answer and act like I know. But did anybody tell them that we do live radio here?
Speaker 5: That's a great question.
Speaker 4: I don't think so, because people in our you know, like the brass here, like they know this is going on, right, I would think.
Speaker 5: So it would like it was a huge talking point Friday.
Speaker 4: But was it just because employees were annoyed or was it because, like the boss was like, because there are.
Speaker 2: People that you know are in charge here? Yeah, do they know this.
Speaker 3: Is going on?
Speaker 2: Because I don't want to because here's.
Speaker 4: What I could do, Like I I'm close to sending the text message just like hey, what do you think we should do about this? But I also don't want to be the pushy guy because they know that it's going on and there's nothing we can do, Like if there's been like a an email or some kind of a statement made to all of us that like, hey, this is because only reason only the only reason I don't get those The only reason I know this is happening is because I'm hearing it now. And also you told me last week, right, and then you mentioned like it's become a real annoying thing within the building, within our within our within our you know, our crew here. But like, is it just we're riding it out or what? Because usually if something like this happens, I think so our direct boss, he's usually pretty good of like he'll tell me do the show at home, you know what I mean? Sure, But like nobody's communicated to me that this was going to be an issue, and they have they have stopped, at least for the time being.
Speaker 5: Yeah, but and I know that even I don't know if he said it on air, but when I ran into him in the hallway last Friday when it was amplified way more than it is now, r Terry Miners had something to say about it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, apparently Terry talked about it on his show that like a good thing I was at home because there's no way I could have done a show, which again like that just worked out. I didn't even know they were doing that. I just had to do the show from home that day because that stuff going on.
Speaker 5: And I wonder how how loud it is over there because his his studios all the way across.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I know this is a building.
Speaker 4: Like for those who don't know what we're talking about here, I mean you probably heard it. The we are live here at four Street Live, in our in our offices and our studios here that we are.
Speaker 2: This is where we're located. I think most people know that. If not, now you do.
Speaker 4: Well, they're they're doing some work on the bathrooms in the actual like facility that is for Street Live, not in our office, but this studio that I'm in backs up to that like that. I'm pretty sure to my right if that wall didn't exist, i'd be it would I would be in the bathroom like I would. You know, they could put a door here and it would go to that bathroom, but not our bathroom in the office, but the bathroom like when you are walking out.
Speaker 2: Of the parking garage at four Street Live.
Speaker 4: So you know, maybe that was because again it started pretty light, then it picked up, and now it's gone.
Speaker 2: So I'm just gonna, you know, I'm gonna try to power through.
Speaker 4: But when that happens, I mean, like I've got headphones on, I can hear it. You are further away from it than I am. You can clearly hear it. It sounds right next to me. So anyways, what I was saying is that you don't want to punish John Shire and say he can't he can't qualify for the ACC Coach of the Year because I mean he was supposed to be good and its team was good. But you also still have to factor it in in some way. I mean, do people really think like when Cooper because again this is this is what's always irritated me. It should be a mixture and a balance of both, right like Pat Kelsey did he over achieve based off of expectation and circumstance, absolutely, but he also has a good team, like Louisville is in the top fifteen, right like him getting it wouldn't be oh well, you know what, they're not really any good. But man, they were supposed to be lousy and they were not as bad as everybody thought.
Speaker 2: So let's give this guy coach of the Year.
Speaker 4: Like if Louisville was a bubble team, it would still be looked at as a really good first year for Pat Kelsey, especially considering the injuries that happened earlier this year. But like, we're not there.
Speaker 1: Louisville is.
Speaker 4: Right behind Duke, one game behind Duke in the ACC standings, and I just think.
Speaker 2: The coach like coach of the Year.
Speaker 4: And I'm not even here to tell you that Pat Kelsey is a better coach than John Shy. I don't know if he is or not, but Coach of the Year to me should be somebody that you know is coaching a good team. We'll check the box for both there. And also you feel like what they're doing and how it all came together, the you know, the real factor in the success is due to coaching more so than anything else. And that's where I feel like it's Pat Kelcey and it's not even close. Again, I'm not talking about punishing Shire and saying, well he can't, you know, because I'm not even saying that anybody would be able to have the twenty twenty eight and three regular season if they coach this same team, because I don't, I don't. I don't know if that's true. In fact, I don't believe it. I think Sharre's pretty good coach. But like Pat Kelsey built the team, built the team from scratch, dealt with two major injuries.
Speaker 2: Early on in the season, and I just think, like when you.
Speaker 4: Look at why Louisville is able to be in the position therein again, top fifteen got a chance to finish with just six regular season losses if they win tomorrow and on Saturday, safely in the tournament, I mean top twenty five, also in the net and the kN palm and all that stuff. And I'm not saying that no other coach on the planet with this team could do what he's doing. I don't know how many could. I don't think that many would, but who knows. We'll never know. But you can't tell me that Louisville in the situation they're in, which again, by the way, they're a good team. They're not just you know, the smartest dumb guy in the room, you know what I mean, Like, they're actually they're actually good. I don't know how good. They're not as good as Duke, but they're good. And I feel like his coaching him, specifically Patrick Kelsey, is the biggest factor in why all of this is off to such a great start.
Speaker 2: In year one.
Speaker 4: John Shier certainly a factor in what his team's doing, but you know what the biggest factor is. He's got elite talent. He's got three lottery picks, and he's all so got. You know, a guy that some people think is the best player to play college basketball and like a long, long, long time. So I don't want to get Ben out of shape about it because I can't control it. And maybe he does win it. He probably mean, he's clearly got a good chance. But just to see this guy who I talked about at the beginning of the show and I never really told you why, but his name is Chris Ly. He's a sportscaster for one of the TV stations down there in the Carolina area, and he tweeted this yesterday. If we're being honest, John Shire's AC Coach of the Year. ACC Coach of the Year because it's Duke. Because it's Duke, folks may feel neat Wait a second, this doesn't make sense. If we're being honest, John Shire is acc Coach of the Year because it's Duke folks.
Speaker 2: He needs some better Grandma.
Speaker 4: Because it's duke folks may feel the need to vote for Pat Kelsey, but Shires who deserves it most. And honestly, he's getting He's getting run like he's getting I mean, he's getting the responses that you know most cooking them. They're cooking him. I mean, people are saying terrible take. People are saying shir ed did what was expected? Pat Kelsey's shattered expectation. Sure, you know Louisville was picked to finish ninth in this league, by the way, And again, it shouldn't just be only based off overachieving, but that also is gonna be an element because when you're overachieving, what does that mean as a basketball team or really just any team in general. If you're overachieving, there could be there can be a variety of factors in why you're overachieving, but more often than not, your coach is doing more with than you know. His his results are better than what you know. And I hate even doing that because now I'm acting like Louisville don't have any good players and I think they do. But I just as much as I try not to get been out of shape about these kind of things because one like it's not that important, but I feel like this is like all the accolades honors that a player or coach has ever been up for when it comes to Louisville that we fought talked about, you know, like ACC Player of the Year, ACC Coach of the Year, Lamar Jackson when it was the Heisman. Like there's all kinds of different, you know, accolades and honors and recognition that Louisville players and coaches can get. And certainly when you know, we talk about ul right here a lot because you know that's what we do, and you want to see want to see those guys get accolades because.
Speaker 2: You know we're fans, at least I am.
Speaker 4: But of all of them, this is the one to me where like it if he doesn't win, it'll it'll be a travesty because I just don't, like, I don't know what, like in any other situation, he's Coach of the Year, they would have already given him the award, they'd have given it to him a week ago. But I just think because it's the ACC and Dukie gets the Dukie treatment that, like, I'm not going to be shocked if we get that press release that sure enough they gave it to Shier. Now what I don't know, and I need to look into this, and it's easy to find out, like the one that the ACC names, and I think they do two for like I think all league there's media and then there's there's like coaches. I think, but this guy, this guy acts like because it's Duke, people won't vote for him. No, Duke gets all the preferential treatment in the ACC. And look, honestly, they're Duke Like they've they've got an elite basketball program, and clearly right now they're they're carrying this league at the top.
Speaker 2: So I just, I just I just don't know what else Pat Kelsey can do.
Speaker 4: For it to be more obvious that like he's been the best coach in the ACC. And I mean, look, he honestly has a good I think he's just has as good of a chance of winning National Coach of the Year. And by the way, he's one of the finalists for that award too. But real quick, before we get to our first break, this is from Evan Evan Maya Evan m i Ya on Twitter if you guys want to follow him, a really good college basketball follow But he put together a chart that shows which team rely the most on returning players versus new players, and that could be transfers or freshmen. So the graph it shows the contribution in minutes from returners and from newcomers. And if you go, I'm gonna retweet it here, so if you guys follow me on Twitter, you'll see it. But what pack Kelsey's doing like this is just another one of the many things you can go out there and grab that will really put in perspective what he's been able to do.
Speaker 2: I mean, most of the teams.
Speaker 4: That are in the top of college basketball have at least some reliable returning players. Louisville has an entirely new team, has two guys that on paper were supposed to be big factors that didn't play, and here they are in a position to wear again. And look, by the way, for those you know, we've already had two people mentioned. It'll depend on no like these. The voting for this doesn't include the postseason. In fact, you vote before the postseason starts. Therefore, like it won't matter what has done in the a SEC tournament because similar are saying, well, if he beats Shyer in the ACC tournament, then he'll get it. I mean, I don't pretty sure that the award will already have been voted on before that happens, as it should, because again, this is a regular season award.
Speaker 3: All right.
Speaker 4: I think we're okay. I think the banging has stopped. But I was getting a little worried there for a while.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think they heard you. Yeah, they must have. They're probably listening to us right now.
Speaker 4: Well, I mean, in all honesty, they probably can hear me. I mean because if they're where I think they are, and is as much as we can, Like I could hear moving around in there, like even when they're not banging a hammer, like I could hear they're doing something, So maybe they can hear me. If so, thank you for stopping at least for the time being. And if you can hear us, then you can hear me now sending into commercial breaks, So whack away with your hammer and you know, oh wave hammer. Yeah maybe in like you know, five six minutes, you can you can stop again until we go to another commercial break. If you really would cater to me, I would really appreciate it. It's coffee and company, feel abou Thorn tradi here on Sports Talk seven ninety Now.
Speaker 1: Back to coffee and Company, fueled by Thornton's on Sports Talk seven nine day.
Speaker 4: All right, a few people are giving me a hard time for the Uh, I'm just talking out loud.
Speaker 2: I meant to say, thinking out loud.
Speaker 4: You guys have never slipped up and set something incorrectly, made, made a mistake.
Speaker 2: I didn't even think about it.
Speaker 4: You're all so perfect. Huh, stick around. I'm sure I'll say some a lot more. What worse than that? Like, I mean, you guys know what this show is like. That's I mean there are times I say something that's even worse than that and don't even realize it, and then, like you know, I'll check the text line and you know, the correction police are always out in full force to let me know. So, yeah, I meant to say, I was just you know, I was I was thinking out loud, and I said talking out loud, which again, that's the only way to really talk is to you know, talk out loud.
Speaker 2: But I got distracted.
Speaker 4: We got people like banging hammers, you know, ten feet to my right in a bathroom, and you know, thankfully they have they've stopped. All right, it's coffee and company feel But Thornton's here on Sports Talk seven ninety nit coffee, the Tribal Chief Austin Montgomery alongside, taking you up till six o'clock, and if you want to join us on the show, you can. No guest schedule today. Phone lines are wide ass open five O two five to seven one seventy nine hundred and if you want to text in on the Ellen and Federal Credit Union text line, the number to do that is five O two six five to three zero seven ninety members get more at Ellen and Federal Credit Union Union.
Speaker 2: You can learn more and open your.
Speaker 4: Account today at LNFCU dot com. All right, so back to the to the Coach of the Year conversation. This is a really good point that somebody brought up on the text line that even though the award is really kind of inconsistent and it's you know, sometimes it just ends if there's a really good if there's an overachiever that also you know, had a team that wasn't just better than expected but actually turned out to be solid, they'll they'll get it, especially if there's not an elite team that's just like on another planet as far as how you know how good they are.
Speaker 2: So you know, it's never been consistent.
Speaker 4: But somebody on the text line made a point that more often than not it is actually gone to somebody that it looks like they're coaching was a bigger factor than anything else, meaning more so the overachievers side than the guy who's just coaching a really good team that was supposed to be really good. Nobody's saying John Shire didn't do a great job this year.
Speaker 3: He did.
Speaker 2: I think John Shire is a good coach.
Speaker 4: But this award has often been given and really not just this one, but any The point this person has been on the text line is so Rick Patino never won a CC Coach of the.
Speaker 2: Year, never won Biggiest Coach of the Year.
Speaker 4: I mean, doesn't that kind of tell you that it usually doesn't like it's insane, And to be honest, I guess the Coach of the Year award is a It is a pretty I mean, it's an honor. I'm assuming every coach who's ever won a Coach of the Year award at any level feels honored that they won it. But when we talk about the guys who are you know, really really successful as college basketball coaches, we rarely ever reference if they were coach of the Year and anything. And it's because we're not programmed to look there, because you know why, we just know that those awards typically go to guys who are good coaches. But again, you feel like they're coaching was a bigger factor in them having whatever level of success they had. So I just, you know, I treat this show sometimes like my own therapy session where I just I just talk and you know, get.
Speaker 2: It all out there.
Speaker 5: I want to go down a side street because you're talking about like the actual physical award, and I just got to thinking during the break, well, I mean they might not give like an actual like a statue or something like the Heisman, but these I mean, when like the coach receeves a Coach of the Year, they got to receive like a plaque.
Speaker 4: Or something, right, I don't know, no clue interesting, I mean they so what they do is they end up like it's a press release as far as everybody's notified that these things are like that, that it's done. But as far as like a physical award, I don't. I'll put it this way.
Speaker 2: I I know a lot of you.
Speaker 4: Are probably thinking, well, surely if they're gonna get if it's an award, then like there's something that you're given other than just reading it on the internet. But it really wouldn't shock me if there's no physical thing that like you hang up on your wall like, it wouldn't shock me at all, to be honest with you. But anyways, what I was saying is I just I'm I'm gonna have it. I'm gonna be I'm gonna have a tough time if Pat Kelsey doesn't win it, because I think he's is deserving as anybody in the ACC has ever been for that award. But by the way, I did find out who, in fact does name the ACC.
Speaker 2: Coach of the Year.
Speaker 4: All league coaches get a vote, and you are not allowed to vote for yourself, at least you weren't. What I'm referencing here is from a couple of years ago, so therefore maybe they've changed it. But no, yes, all all league coaches as well as sixty different media members, so there's a lot of people to get a vote, and I think it's gonna be a no brainer for Pat Kelsey, but we shall see. All I'm saying is that if he doesn't get it, one he'll be robbed. But two, I'm just gonna say that I'm not gonna be that surprised because I just think the ACC when they can again, I don't even think it's close.
Speaker 2: So maybe with that said, it will go to Kelsey.
Speaker 4: But usually whenever there's when it's a coin flip, it's a toss up as far as who the ACC can honor, rather it be the league deciding it or people in the ACC voting it. Just if it's close, I'm just gonna give the benefit of the doubt to one of the Carolina schools, including Duke. Somebody of the text line says the biggest travesty in the ACC Awards was Carli Jones not winning ACC Player of the Year.
Speaker 2: Totally agree.
Speaker 4: And I can't, I mean, because I don't remember who it was that won it that year. It was a guy who played for Georgia Tech, and I don't even think he was Georgia Tech's best player, like Alvarado if you remember, was their best player, that little point guard who was I mean by the way they then they win the a SEC tournament. That yeah, that's such a I'm telling you those two seasons. We Austin and I were actually just talking about it during the break the twenty twenty season where COVID happened in March and it all ended, and then also the next year where we had basketball season but there were so many games that didn't take place because of test results and we played with fifteen hundred fans there, Like, those two years are such a blur. So the the ACC Player of the Year that year was Moses right. Do you ever remember that name, Austin Moses Right?
Speaker 2: I mean he played for Georgia Tech. I remember it was a big guy. He's a fine player. Oh yeah yeah.
Speaker 4: But like Carla Jones should have won that award, sure, because that was a year where if you remember, and you probably don't because again it was a weird year. But like that year in the ACC, like Duke wasn't good. I don't even think they made the tournament and Caroline, I don't even know who they're like. I think it came down to there was there was one other player in the ACC that I believe was what was what I thought was gonna be the biggest threat who I thought was gonna be the biggest threat for car League and carl League didn't win it, but it didn't go to who I thought it went to. It went to Moses Right, who again was a good player. But it just kind of felt like, huh, all right, so in two this is gonna drive me crazy. In two thousand and one, let's see, let's see who did I think it was?
Speaker 2: Oh? It was it was the Let's see.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Justin Champenny at Pitt actually finished ahead of car League and Moses Right won it. Matthew Hurt finished right behind Duke. So yeah, Justin Shampanne is is it easy name to forget? You probably don't even know who the hell that is?
Speaker 2: But he was.
Speaker 4: He played for Pitt for a long time, scored a ton of points. So Carlea came in third and again like that to me just said that, you know, Louisville, I guess is just screwed.
Speaker 2: Maybe I was wrong when I said that.
Speaker 4: I don't believe anybody's you know, biased towards or you know, never mind, I don't even I don't even want to put that out there as a joke because like that's something I'm I try my best not to go there when it comes to this show, but like I, nothing is such a nothing is a bigger turnoff for me, if you will, when it comes to like Louisville fans, and not everybody does it, but just just like everybody's out to get us, we're victims, and like you know, it just annoys me. But anyways, we'll move on. If you want to join us on the show, you can five way two five seven to one. Seventy nine hundred is the number. We'll get to the phone lines coming up here in just a little while. But we're in the final week of the regular season here in college basketball. In fact, we already have some conference tournaments going on. I resisted last night. I was gonna fire off some bets because again we've got March Madness already taking place the Atlantic Sun. I think that's the conference tournament that's already started. Some others are going to be starting soon, and you know, that's that's exciting. But I know nothing about these teams. And even when I do go look at like Sunday, I bet on a few games that there were teams I've never watched before. But like I was familiar somewhat with like are they good for their league? That kind of thing, and I spent well, I wasted about fifteen minutes looking into two different matchups, and man, I felt really good about it and it couldn't have gone worse for me as far as what I bet on. So like, I'm going to try moving forward to just bet on teams you know that I'm familiar with.
Speaker 2: That mean I'm going to get it right.
Speaker 4: But like I feel like now when I'm betting on Atlantic Sun or the Colonial Athletic Association games, it might as well be me just you know, putting money in a slot machine. And I guess technically that's the same thing when it comes to me betting really at any point, because it really is all luck, if you know, I'd like to think that really, And I've said this before when it comes to betting on anything but mostly college basketball because I love college hoops.
Speaker 2: I realize it's all luck, right, like I never knew.
Speaker 4: I mean, if it was something that you know, I was really good at, then you know I would I would be making a lot more money than I'm making, and I'm not making much of anything. In fact, I'm still up substantially for the season. But you know, now is where I get a little bit more dangerous when it comes to uh to betting, because my goal every year is to bet only in college basketball and then be able to take out all the money that is in my accounts, whether it be FanDuel or DraftKings, because I don't bet on NBA and I don't bet on baseball, and I don't need to. That would just be wasting money because I don't watch or care, to be honest with you. So the last few years, I've been able to close out the not close out the accounts, but to empty them out and feel like, hey, I made this on college hoops this year, right, And so because of that, like now that we only well, I guess i'll probab. I probably wait till the conference tournament start, but I start betting a little bit more than I typically would, because hey, why not, right, I've got you know, might as well try to, you know, put a little bit more on it to potentially get a bigger reward in return, you know. That way, whenever I, you know, do call it a you know, whenever I.
Speaker 2: Do empty it out, I'll have more to put in the bank account.
Speaker 4: Three years ago was my best year that I'll probably never come close to to, you know, doing again when it comes to just the you know whatn't like I've cleaned up and was able to pay off my mortgage or anything like that, but it was like it was an unexpected, like chunk of money that I that you know, doesn't happen very often for somebody like myself. But tonight, a lot of games in Kentucky, this is this is a weird game for them. They're twelve and a half point favorites against LSU. LSU is easily the second worst team in the ACC or in the SEC, and a win here for Kentucky doesn't really do much of anything. But right now they're still looking at like a three seed, and that doesn't surprise me considering sort of their resume. We've talked about it, like they're in a really good spot with their resume. They've got a lot of really good wins that have value, so they can stack up these losses like they're doing. But as long as they're against good teams, they're not gonna be hurt as far as the seed line. Now, a loss tonight changes maybe not everything. In fact, it doesn't change everything, but I mean a loss here at home to LA which probably won't happen, that would be the kind of loss that probably takes you off the three line and you're a four, And really it just comes down to you know, do you I mean, there's gonna be so many opportunities to get good wins in the SEC tournament, So I don't know, maybe what I was about to say is not true, but I feel like this is the kind of game that could put them is because I don't I mean, maybe they do beat Missouri, and that would be a really valuable win to win at Missouri on Saturday, But right now it's a projected loss. And let's just say you're you know, you're gonna say you split here and you beat LSU, lose to Missouri, then you go into the SEC tournament. Really whereas long you know, you're probably safely as a three and clearly can improve your seating if you end up making a run in said tournament because of all the potential wins you.
Speaker 2: Could get that have value.
Speaker 4: But a loss here, I think it puts you on the four and you could end up probably either you know, improving it once you get to Nashville or maybe you know, if you bow out early, even if it's not to a bad team, because there aren't many of those in the SEC, it might push you closer between the four and five range, depending on what other teams do. But I mean, they clearly didn't look good against Auburn, but man, Auburn was a big factor in that. Auburn's the best team in the country and it's not even close. All right, quick break, We'll come back and wrap up the three o'clock hour. On the other side, keep this thing rolling along. It's coffee and Company, and we are fueled by Thornton's right here on Sports Talk seven ninety.
Speaker 1: Now back to coffee and company, fueled by Thornton's on Sports Talk seven nine day.
Speaker 4: All right, we were wrapping up the three o'clock hour here on a Tuesday afternoon. Thanks for hanging out with us. Take us with you wherever you go. Listen live on the Aheart Radio app. Also listen live at seven ninety Louisville dot com. So if you have ever used which I'm sure you have, if you've ever used the application, the software Skype, you need to be aware that it's it's that was the last the last time you used it was the last time you'll ever use it because Skype is dead. In fact, I think if you have it, it'll still function, but you can't, like if you wanted to go look forward and download it now, it doesn't exist.
Speaker 2: Oh no, yeah, I mean, when's the last time you used Skype?
Speaker 5: I was probably in high school. Skype was like the first like real webcam, like yeah, face to face like those before face. Oh, I might have a FaceTime may have been a thing too, but that's the the first time I remember interacting with somebody and seeing their face from like a different location. Was was the Skype was a Skype dot com.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Skype was like when I first started, Like I mean, we're talking. I mean I don't I don't remember when Skype sort of became a thing, but I remember it was it had no competition, seemingly like when it comes to when you wanted to just use the internet to make calls and do video calls, like Skype to go to In fact, when I would do interviews, like you know, podcast interviews before I had a live radio show, of course, was a long time ago. Like Skype was the way to do it, and it was it was the only way to do it. I don't really know of any other platform out there to where you could you could do what Skype did. But yeah, Skype is dead. And what's crazy is that the death of Skype was clearly clearly impacted by the pandemic. But you would think that, you know, something like that would become more popular whenever nobody's leaving the house because we're in quarantine, that kind of stuff. But what happened was a competitor came in and put Skype in a body bag and took over. And that's zoom. So, I mean, I'd never heard of zoom, and then all of a sudden, Zoom was the way to go was what everybody was doing during the pandemic.
Speaker 2: And I mean manufactured.
Speaker 4: I still use Zoom every now and then when need be, But like for most corporations, they use Microsoft Teams. Sure, but I think Skype's actually better than Microsoft Teams. But I'm reading here that let's see, it says Skype is gone and zooming is the verb people use now when you have to call somebody on video. This is a write up here from looks like this came from barstool, but it says that truly remarkable stuff from Skype and the people at Microsoft who paid eight point five billion for Skype in twenty eleven, only to watch it get dusted by some newcomer less than a decade later, when the entire world needed a program exactly like it. That is so true, though, like, again, what are the chances that like Skype falls apart? In that scenario, you would think that if it was struggling, well, this global pandemic might have given this platform life, and in fact it did not happen. So yeah, Skype, Skype is no more. And I mean, I'm not into conspiracies, but it's worth mentioning because when it comes to this Skype that you mean, this is I don't act like it's like major news that everybody's discussing. But we were all using Skype and then one day there was a pandemic when COVID took over, and then we all started using Zoom, and a lot of people like myself had never heard of Zoom. However, the majority owner of Zoom. Their largest shareholders include a bunch of companies, including one that is named the Vanguard Group. Also the Vanguard Group is a pharmaceutical Yeah, Vanguard Group owned shares in several pharmaceutical companies, including Pfizer.
Speaker 2: So knew you were going to say. Yeah, so I'm starting to see a third eye.
Speaker 4: I mean, like that, that's one of those things that regardless of what you think about conspiracies and all that, and I don't. I mean, I'm so over everything about COVID, and I mean, I'm so glad that five years in the past now. But that's a crazy thing. That is not a coincidence.
Speaker 5: Right.
Speaker 4: Next, like Skype, sky Skype was seemingly in a perfect position. All of a sudden, there's a new company who you know, does the same thing Skype does, and they're backed by the people who also you know, are the biggest stakeholders and Pfizer.
Speaker 2: Like, that's that's not a coincidence, right, It's insane.
Speaker 4: Yeah, And you know you've worked with me long enough to know I'm not big on conspiracies at all. I laugh them off usually. But that's that's not a coincidence. No, you've tickled me. Now, my friend, stick around. We got two more hours left. Who knows where this is going. Let's get weird. Four o'clock hours next right here on Sports Talk seven ninety