Speaker 1: It is time for a debut. If I had a drum roll in the drops, I would do it now. I don't have any kind of like official trumpet fanfare or anything like that. I don't have like the dudes, you know, like in the stereotypic middle aged movie where you have like the nine trumpeters that come into the hall and they always play like and for some reason they've all got the same trumpet, but they play different notes. I don't know how that works. But anyway, we would have like nine dudes or ten dudes on each and then we would have we would have a red carpet, obviously because of our guests. But first time ever on the on the Morning Show, we bring in Mark Fishkin, our friend from Seeing Red, as a part of the informational exchange program here at Major League Soccer that we do every single time out. Mark, Welcome to the Morning Show.
Speaker 2: Thank you so much. It's great to be here. And what I didn't see any trumpeters on my way downstairs this morning, but that's it's a nice visual. For sure.
Speaker 1: They're they're they're in the FedEx that that is, they're they're on their way there. They might be there by the time you exit.
Speaker 3: Uh sounds good what I wanted to do.
Speaker 1: And I wanted to bring you on to help our folks have an education coming up for the matchup this weekend when Whipples come to town, and I mean this is going to be everything from pillar to post in you know, fifteen to twenty minutes, and just so we have educated watchers when it comes to everything at Mercedes ben Stadium. So when you look at match weeks one and two so far here in twenty twenty five, what are some of your larger takeaways when it comes to what you've seen with Red Bulls this year.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I thought the Red So for your for your listeners, the Red Bulls went to Cincinnati on Day one and we're not able to score. They lost one nothing on a seventyeth minute restart goal by by Kevin Denkey where he chipped Coronell who was a half step slow coming off off his line, and New York did some interesting things. It was the first time that er Chuopomoting and Lewis Morgan and Eric Forsberg played together mL Forsburg played together at the top of the formation. Chuopomoting's first goal shot on goal attempt was a back heel, which was I think not really what we expected, but that's okay. Came home last Saturday and scored twice in the first twenty minutes, first thirty minutes rather against Nashville and just ended the game. The rest of the match was I guess a little bit kg. Nashville doesn't have a whole lot of attacking firepower to try and get on the board. They brought on thirty five year old Teal Bunbury in the seventy fifth minute, and while Bunbury has made his career scoring goals against New York, it was just too little, too late. New York lacked a little bit of sharpness in the final third over the last half hour of the game. But again you're up to nothing, just trying to prevent a collapse, and for Red Bull fans, I think I think it felt good. Mohamed Sofo, who was only playing doing and due to a knock on Morgan that kept him out of the lineup on Saturday. We don't really know the severity of that injury. We'll find out on Thursday when we meet with the team. But Sofo, in his first MLS start, scored his first MLS goal, cleaning up a shot off the post by Jupo, and Emil Forstburgh had a ridiculous curler into the far post past Joe Willis, which for so it always feels good to score past Joe Willis. And yeah, I mean it was a frigid night at Red Bull Arena. I think by the end of the game the temperature was in the twenties. And you know, for there's a lot of energy in the stadium and a lot of excitement around this team and just to see what they can do. And now, I mean you can make the argument that this is I mean, Cincinnati certainly is a tough test, but Atlanta is a tough test as well, in a place where traditionally the Red Bulls have had a lot of success.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think if my math is correct, I think Atlanta has drawn points in only eight of eighteen matches lifetime, regardless of location. Yep, this particular matchup and how different and I'm kind of drifting back into last season to lead into this year. How different are Red Bulls with Emil Forsburg and without him? Because you were fourth in the East with him. He's out for three and a half months because of injury.
Speaker 3: It just to seven.
Speaker 1: Then you catch him healthy again, you make your way to the last match of the year. How different in quotation marks are they with him and without him?
Speaker 2: Yeah? No, it's it's literally everything for this team. This team was actually atop the East at one point early in the season last year with Forsburg and you're absolutely, John, I mean he without him, I think they won one or two matches over three and a half months. They were a very difficult team to beat last year. They only lost nine times during the regular season and then in MLS Cup for coming up one goal short at LA who was you know, without Rocky Pooge. But they were undefeated at your name here center in Carson all of last year. And so yeah, I mean there were plenty of pundits during New York's playoff run last year that were seemingly bewildered what happened. The team has come together and it's like, Yeah, the guy they're paying six million dollars a year is healthy and producing. He literally lifts everyone on the team. He creates spaces for people, he generates passing lines for people. He's a coach out on the field. He's doing everything that New York had hoped when he signed, and his leadership ability is really unmatched. He's done at the highest levels in the European Champions League, and so I just think he is he's he is clear, it is clearly his team and makes such a difference when he's out there and did score. A lot of his goals were on pens last year. But again, if we see more attempts and goals like we saw on Saturday night, I think Red Bull fans aud be really happy with what they've got this year.
Speaker 3: I was gonna say.
Speaker 1: I mean, the bottom line is if he's scoring from the spot, that means that chances are being created where defenses are panicking and have to make rash decisions air go.
Speaker 3: You end up with those kinds of opportunities mission impossible time.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 1: And for those of us that are of a certain vintage, yes, we used to watch this particular show in reruns. Our friend Jim Phelps otherwise known as Peter Graves, would be a particular message on a real to reel tape player and at the end of the message it would say that this tape is going to set a self destruct in fifteen seconds. So that is the that is the guidepost with which we will operate, even though it will live on forever on the media.
Speaker 2: Okay, gotcha.
Speaker 1: If you were Specter and you had to defend Forsburg, how would you do it? What have you seen that has handcuffed him and his creativity? And like I said, we can sit there and put up a curt and sit there and.
Speaker 3: Go No one in the Tri State can listen to that.
Speaker 2: You know what, No, No, it's not complicated. I think you have to have two bodies on him at all times, and I think you have to prevent his forward vision as much as you can. New York has played moved over the playoff run to a five man three slash five man back line, and those two wingers Omar Valencia and it was Kim Harper who picked up a knock in the game. Be curious to who we see those guys are key passing recipient of Forstburg. He I would absolutely keep someone between him and Choopo Moting to make sure that that connection is blocked off. But I would just try to impede his field vision as much as you can. I don't know if that means that both central defensive mids are on him. Constantly bottling him up, making sure, you know, things don't go the right way, and I would just prevent him at all times from being able to carve up a defense. He doesn't need a lot of space. The ball just sits at his feet. He has incredible ball of control, so you know. But he's also not the quickest guy, and so for Atlanta's again central midfield to really get in his face to turn him away from the center of the field, I think you guys'll be in pretty decent instead.
Speaker 1: So it sounds like some combination of cleek or clik Sleash, Jay Fortune, Tristan william Bas somewhere those two sixes that Ronnie Dila likes to employ. Just make sure that they're keeping an eye on Forsburg. How underrated a keeper is Carlos Cornell.
Speaker 2: I think he's properly rated. I think I mean he is climbing up the all time Red Bull goal effectiveness goalkeeping charts. Obviously, he's never going to beat Lewis Robliss's streak of consecutive games or anything like that, but he really pulled his form together in the second half of last year. He was a little he went wanting during New York's forsburg less streak where wins were very difficult to come by, but as New York advanced through the playoffs, his form returned. He had a magnificent open net save in the Eastern Conference Final on Facundo Torres that really turned that entire match. I think he is. I mean, you can make the argument that he's a top ten goalkeeper in MLS. I think, depending on his form, I think he's He's definitely he's a premier shot stopper. He does well on penalties. Yeah, I mean, I'd take him over just about anyone in the league right now, for sure.
Speaker 1: Mark Fishkin from the Seeing Red Pod. You can follow them on the Blue Scott. You can follow them on the Bluebird, the Blue Sky, the the IG, the gram or the Insta, whatever the kids are calling it these days.
Speaker 3: You can shoot him emails.
Speaker 1: They're on the face Space, all the all the all the socials into YouTube's as well, so you can all of their content. Another couple of minutes with you, because I have burning questions, sir, please send them when it comes to this particular matchup. What concerns you the most as someone who has covered the Red Bulls as much as you have, and what are you the most confident about going into this matchup?
Speaker 2: I mean the attacking firepower that you guys have acquired and reacquired is spectacular, right, I mean we we haven't seen a guy like lattels Uh in the in the league in a little bit. Haha, n j rb he he maps. Oh, maps are so funny. Let me explain to your listeners. There is an area called the New York Metropolitan Area that encompass is not just New York, New Jersey, also the state of Connecticut. It's true. That's why they call it the Tri state area.
Speaker 3: So is this where I break up my Lloyd Lindsay young impression?
Speaker 2: Oh wow, that is taking me back. Hello, that's good stuff.
Speaker 1: Yes, yes, okay, yeah, well thank you for your comment.
Speaker 2: Anyway, Yes, the Jets and Giants play in New Jersey too. Excellent, well done. Born in New York City. So you know, if you know, you know anyway, the attacking strength that you guys have and we've yet to see it really right round into form. Obviously, that's that's a challenge. I you know, I don't know how well Mickey is doing in his return obviously, you know, informed Joseph Martinez and all that is not there, So as that partnership starts to come together, I think that's going to be exciting. New York knows how to beat Ronnie Dila. They did it with some regularity during his time at City, for sure. I think, you know, I think Brad guzan is I don't think he's one of the top ten goalkeepers in MLS right now, and I don't I don't think that your listeners would be terribly insulted by that. I think the question is really who is going to be playing on the wings for New York. They've they've started Omar Valencia, who is a Red Bull, to promotion. He's done arguably Okay, Obviously he's a young kid. He's not going to be used to playing in front of the number of fans that I would imagine Atlanta will be bringing. It might be imposing for him. And then again, as I said with with Kim Harper, new York's kind of not so young player anymore. Who's continuing to run into for him? He got jacked up over the weekend New York interestingly enough that the injury to Harper happened right before halftime and Coachar's signaled to Dennis Yengar, who's a Norwegian youngster, to come and get ready, and then didn't sub him through first half injury time, and then at the after half they put he put Dylan Nilis on in his stead, which I think raised a lot of questions for for Red Bulls watchers. Again, you're up to nothing at half, You're not necessarily looking to do a lot of offensive damage. New York played about five minutes of first half injury time with that with ten men because Schwartz didn't want to make that change. So I thought that was really interesting till and Nilis of course really capable, certainly more defensive minded. You know, New York's press doesn't necessarily know how to play for coming in play for ties and so it'll it'll be interesting to see. I mean again, the first goal is so important to New York, so important to everyone in this game, but like really important to New York in the first match. And I realized I've straight from your question a little bit, John, But.
Speaker 3: Just good look and time it's all okay.
Speaker 2: To provide your listeners with a little more insight in the In the first game at Cincinnati, New York went down in the seventieth minute. Chupo Moting Forstburg and Morgan were on the field the entire match, and who New York brought on to try to make the difference was sixteen year old homegrown Julian Hall. And while New York has a lot of second choice depth players that came in late to training camping aren't necessarily fit, yet it just seemed like, oh, you're down to goal on the road. Attacking depth is definitely an area where New York is lacking, and so if Atlanta is able to get up one or even two, and as the game is getting late, it's going to be a real challenge for them to get back in to the match and make a difference. Again, Forrestb' will be great your promotings. Looking for his first goal. Hasn't played on turf yet. It'll be interesting to see how that goes. But you know, as for your listeners, yeah, I mean, New York Atlanta is a fantastic game always. New York hasn't won in Atlanta since twenty twenty two. It used to be that the Red Bulls would waltz into to Mercedes Benz and leave with at least to draw. This is a little bit new. I think New York's five to two and one all time in Atlanta, and so I think it says close to right. But they've lost, they've lost the last two. There used to be a place they were very comfortable except for that one.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, that one time. Uh yes, exactly.
Speaker 1: Itali sized baldface thirteen times new Roman font. The other question that I had for you has to do with the press. How different is it structurally or philosophically under Sandro Schwarz Then it has been in the past, say you know, under say Struber or Armis or however far back you How much of a tweak is there under Sandro's version? Then has been there in the past with others.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, I'll say under Armis and Bradley Carnell, who's had a great start at both Saint Louis and now in Philly, I think blowing everyone's airback with the job that they've done Philly. Wow, four goals twice in.
Speaker 3: A row, That's what have you done with the Philadelphia Union?
Speaker 2: Yeah, because those fans were not looking forward to the season at all, and it's like, no, everything's fine, No, we're good, thank you. Yeah. I mean, over the last few years, and certainly last year, the Red Bulls have gotten a lot more comfortable possessing the ball against Nashville, who also doesn't want to possess the ball. Usually it was about fifty to fifty if I recall correctly from possession stats for the game. And so New York has the players now that can hold it, hold it, hold it, hold the ball, and they do generate scoring chances out of build up. But I mean, there were a number of situations against Nashville where five attacking minded players were all pressing all the way back to the keeper, earned a few throw ins, earned you know, a few goalkicks off the side, just from turning it up. It's it's definitely a little different. A bit of that is because of the formation. But you know, he's playing a you can say it's a three four three, you can say it's a three four one two, you can say it's a five. You can call it whatever you want. But more certainly more wing play than we've seen, more reliant on the wings. The central defensive midfielder for New York right now is Edelman and Stroud to homegrown players who are definitely more defensive minded. Felipe Carvajo, who scored a cracker of a goal for the Red Bulls in the playoffs, actually two goals, once against Columbus in Columbus last year in the playoffs and then a bomb against NYC. He's still working his way back to full fitness after injury that kept him out of MLS Cup, which really hurt New York. So you know his I don't think he's going to be ready to start. He can along with twenty minutes to play last week and a two goal lead, but he can be an offensive spark as well. Without him, you're not going to see Edelman and Stroud push up and press as much, which may leave Atlanta a little more from getting out of their back end.
Speaker 1: So now that we have, now that we've had all these kinds of discussions about all of the defense and everything, I anticipate that whatever the total is, we're just going to go over and it's going to be like one of these nine to eight thrillers or something.
Speaker 2: I do not think so, no, I mean, we were going to do our show tonight for the week Christine read, but we're talking to Jason later in the tomorrow for our show as guest. But yeah, I mean, I think to one is probably right, unless you know La Te Last breaks out and you know tattoos New York. I don't know how many Gye's speed is. As a thirty one year old, I would imagine he's slightly less blinding. But it'll be interesting to see the matchup. Whoever's matched up on Valencia on the left side of New York's defense will have some room.
Speaker 3: To operate well, and that could be.
Speaker 1: That doesn't matter. I think how Atlanta United will line up. I think you're gonna see Miggy on the left. I think you're gonna see Saba on the left. You're gonna see them interchange. Latte Lott's gonna want to run behind defenders and create havoc, you know, doing his thing. He's not afraid to press, He's not afraid to run up there and get in somebody's face. He likes to run in behind. But yeah, I think you're gonna see a lot of You're gonna see a lot of inner play. You're gonna see a lot of switch. It's gonna be okay, who's got him here, who's got him here? That kind of a thing to kind of create confusion. You have Miggy either on his left, on his dominant left with his left foot going up against the defensive right, or you have him go up against to set up his left foot being set up.
Speaker 3: On the right hand side. So I think that there are a lot of interesting chess matches here.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it'll be good. I mean, and I'll just say this, and Sandra Schwartz is a terrific tactical coach. He has really proven adaptability. His team is bought in. He's one of the friendliest, happiest, nicest Germans I've ever met. He loves to joke. It's a very light around the team. And you know, I mean we get our foreign born coaches and no one coaches here for more than four I mean, when Jesse started twenty eighteen, he started his fourth season with New York and that had never been done before. So, I mean, we're not expecting Sandra to stay past next year, but he's been a breath of fresh air. And I think Red Bull fans, clearly with the playoff run last year, really.
Speaker 3: Really happy with him, no doubt about it.
Speaker 2: All.
Speaker 1: Right, cut the promo for me, working folks, follow you and everything that you guys do up there to get everybody smart and keep them smart.
Speaker 2: Sure, I know your fans are very very excited to follow the Red Bulls. Every week it's Seeing Red and Why just about on every platform you got. We are no longer posting at that other place, and we're on Blue Sky where we're finding a lot of og soccer. Twitter is reconstituting. And I don't know if you guys joined the league in time for og soccer Twitter, but it was pretty great. And we encourage you to follow us at Seeing Red and Y at Blue Sky or on the IG as you said, the kids say, and Seeing Red n Why on YouTube as well, where we're growing to our audience. So thank you so much for having me.
Speaker 3: John anytime, my friend.
Speaker 1: And like I said, this link is a universal so that Friday free for all that I'm trying to have structured. Basically, you come in, you sit there and you know your rage for a couple of minutes, and then you check out. Literally, it's like the express lane for views on a Friday.
Speaker 2: Excellent, let's do it.
Speaker 1: Great to see you, my friend. Don't be a stranger. We'll catch up soon and we will talk down the road.
Speaker 3: Okay, thanks for having me.
Speaker 2: Have a good day everyone,