Speaker 1: Here is your Channel nine first one to eleeve fore casts. Gonna be rainy. Best chance of rain today east of I seventy one, a few storms possible, sixty four for the high, overcast with some showers possible. Tonight fifty seven, clouds with a slight chance of rain. Tomorrow seventy for the high. Overnight lower fifty seven with more clouds and more chances showers, and Thursday a lot of the same are mostly cloudy skies with the chance of rain low seventies to high. Then it's fifty nine now cyd for traffic.
Speaker 2: From the UC Tramphank Center. If you see healthy, you'll find comprehensive care that's so personal, makes your best tomorrow possible. That's boundless care for better outcomes. Expect more ADU seehelp dot com. The lake times continue to drop southbound seventy five. The earlier accident at the Reagan Highway long gone, but tram thanks still will cost you an extra ten minutes out of Evendale down to the lateral North Found seventy five minutes cleared North Found seventy one. A bit slow at Red Bank ingram on fifty five kr S talk station.
Speaker 1: Hey twenty nine here if your bove KCD talk station, good time to be tuned in because every week at this time, good to hear from Daniel Davis to win the Daniel Davis Steve Dive. You can find his podcast out there in the world where your podcast, Daniel Davis. Good to see you, my friend. At least I can see you my listeners camp, but they can hear you. Welcome back, Welcome, thanks for having me back.
Speaker 3: Man.
Speaker 4: I almost had to do therapy for mission you last week, so eager to get back going today.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I was.
Speaker 1: Uh, every once in a while I got to take a day off, and I certainly miss our conversations. And I presume you at least Gauge engaged in some reflection on those who paid the ultimate sacrifice and service for their country yesterday, Memorial Day.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I indeed I do.
Speaker 4: I do that all the time, and obviously that's what we're supposed to do on that day. So I always, you know, harken back to that and respect the sacrifice they've been paid by so many, especially by the family members who still survive, and just always want to reinforce the message all that day that let's make sure we don't ever make unnecessary sacrifices to our country by asking them to die for causes that have nothing to do with our national security.
Speaker 1: Yeah, or causes that are just seemingly crazy. And then speaking of crazy, Donald Trump has suggested Bladimir and Putin, in his words, has gone absolutely crazy.
Speaker 3: Is that crazy like a Fox? Or is he unhinged? Daniel Davis?
Speaker 1: Because some of me thinks it's based upon our prior conversations and my observations and reporting in the news, it's more crazy like a Fox.
Speaker 4: Well listen, I mean, I was a bit perplexed because in that both the truth socialist Trump posted as well as his comments that he made there before he got back on Air Force One, he talked about how he was really surprised, etc.
Speaker 3: That Russia was doing that.
Speaker 4: And I don't understand why he would be surprised, why anyone would be surprised, because Russia is doing exactly what they've said they were going to do. They said they will not have a thirty day unconditional ceasefire. They will keep fighting and keep talking at the same time they want a negotiated settlement on their terms, or they'll simply keep fighting for it. And listen, Also, this this drone attack in Takiv that Trump was so animated about, is the fact that there has been back and forth, for going back to the several days, like five or six days in a row, Ukraine launched hundreds, like seven or eight hundred drones into Russia, tried to attack into Moscow. Moscow retaliated every day. So it's a back and forth deal. It's a war, and both sides are continuing to fight, So I'm not sure why anyone would be surprised by these sequence of events.
Speaker 1: Well, and you know something you and I talked about before, and is the expense of launching missiles to knock down drones or other missiles from the sky. And as I read now, the drone attacks feature in an array of decoy projectiles that I'm meant to intimidate drone strikes, but don't carry explosives. So Ukraine starts shooting at objects which don't have any destructive power. But there's no way for the Ukrainians to know whether or not they have they're armed or not. But obviously that frees up an opportunity for other drones to fill in the holes and attack the targets. I don't This is modern warfare, and I don't know how it's going to evolve down the road, but this it seems to make perfect sense to me that you would use, you know, a bunch of fake ones in there in the mix with the real ones increasing the likelihood you're gonna actually hit your target.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 3: And that's the problem that you really illuminated there that from the Ukraine.
Speaker 4: Side they have no idea which is which because a lot of them are what's called repurposed S three hundred and anti aircraft missiles and they look just like incoming missiles on the radar screen.
Speaker 3: You can't tell the.
Speaker 4: Difference, but part but they're just basically rocket motors that are flying in the air and you have to or even the slow drones, there's a medium speed drones, et cetera. All these things require you either have to shoot them down or they're going to strike their target. And what we're seeing, by the way I told you, there's this big, huge, like multi hundred drone strick. In both directions. Nearly all of the ones from the Ukraine side to Russia were shot down. Hardly any made it through handful of a few. But on the Russian side, when they're firing into Ukraine, a substantial portion of both the missiles and the drones are hitting their target, and especially not before last in Odessa, there was just catastrophic damage in there, and of course you've seen the videos I'm sure from Kiev, etc. You don't see a commensurate vision on that on the Russian side because they have the air defense missiles and the Ukraine side has insufficient air defense missiles.
Speaker 3: And this point it is a math problem for the Ukraine side.
Speaker 1: Right, which continues the theme that you and I've been discussing now for what seems like months, which well, I guess it has been the lack of arms that the Ukraine has, and I guess the inability of NATO to keep up with the with the demand in the United States. Of course, I believe pairing back it's provision new weapons of Ukraine, and I see German Chancellor merce now is telling the Ukrainians that there's no longer going to be any limit on the range of the weapons that so it seems like that this is like another step toward World War three if NATO countries are providing long range missiles for Ukraine to fire deeper and deeper into Russia. And I know, I guess the military strategy as well. If they're building a bunch of these drones at a factory that's two hundred, three hundred and five hundred miles inside Russia, then of course that facility is fair game since it's funding the Russian troops or providing weapons for the Russian troops. But this is going to more directly implicate NATO and to the extent they start, you know, intruding into Russian real estate, that increases the likelihood of some kind of armed conflict, doesn't it.
Speaker 4: Well I'm glad you brought that up because the comment by Chancellor Mets, the new Russian of Russian, the new German Chancellor made a point of saying on German television yesterday that UK, France now Germany, and he said, the United States have all lifted all restrictions on all these weapons and now they can fire deep. Well here's the well, as many problems with it. They don't have that many missiles that we're talking about. Russia can launch literally hundreds per month, every single month because they have the industrial capacity of.
Speaker 3: Long range missiles.
Speaker 4: Most are a good portion of them get through but on the US and NATO side, we had probably a couple hundred total. I think there's two hundred Taurist missiles from Germany that could be put into the mix. We've already said that our attackers long range missiles. We were near the end of that at the end of the Biden administration. We don't have a lot to put in there. So why in God's name would you want to like escalate the situation by striking something deep inside Russia with one of your missiles when you know that Russia can fire ten back for every one you can shoot and risk exploding the war. Yesterday Russia said two merits, if German missiles fire deep into Russia and strike a target, we will consider that as a direct participation of Germany in the conflict and will react accordingly. They left it vague what it is, but it's very clear they could either strike Germany itself, German assets.
Speaker 3: There's no killing what they could do.
Speaker 4: But if we think that Russia is gonna allow that to happen and do nothing, I don't think we've been paying attention.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and the other component of this is a lot of the hardware that we provided to Ukraine and we've had our own people there helping them to operate it because they don't have the security clearances necessary to make the longer range missiles work. And I presume that's got to be the case with Germany's weapons systems, which means there are boots on the ground in Ukraine from foreign lands, most notably NATO countries, that are helping out in the waging of this war. I mean, you know, I don't know what the rules of engagement are all about, but that sounds to me like we're already engaged in direct conflict. Just we don't have the uniformed troops on the front line shooting with small weapons.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we just don't have them on the front line.
Speaker 4: But also, by the way, both the storm Shadow and the Taurust missiles require US help also for targeting and other telemetry data, et cetera, not just the German boots on the Kiev ground so to speak. You know where they're being launched from, so our fingerprints, even the United States is on all these missiles at fire long range.
Speaker 1: And so going back to the fort about Ukraine hitting further and further or deeper into Soviet into Solvie. Here I go again channeling backwards into Russian territory. Say they are going after the drone factory militarily. I guess that makes sense from Ukraine perspective. But if a NATO country, say Germany, is providing the war waging equipment to Ukraine, then it seems to be fair play for Russia to go ahead and bomb the factories that are making that particular type of equipment.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we don't want to ever put them in the position to make that rational calculation, because here's the thing, there is two little thought on what is the intent of using a given military a piece of hardware or a tactic.
Speaker 3: Yes, you can say from a certain.
Speaker 4: Perspective, totally legitimately that anything in Russia is fair game, because everything in Ukraine is fair game.
Speaker 3: That's one issue.
Speaker 4: But then you have to say, what is the probability of helping the Ukraine side and changing the balance of war, and what is the risk of retaliation against US and drawing US directly into the war. That's where the calculations aren't being made. They're just doing the easy one and they're not doing the harder one, which could, as you very clearly point out, cause escalation. They could actually drag us In and the last thing anybody in the West should want is the possibility of having this thing escalate what it should be, and its death throws the whole war.
Speaker 1: Indeed, every day that goes by Russian makes more and more progress insofar as it's moving movement into Ukraine, so less and less more and more land is taken by Russia. And that's where I started out with crazy like a fox, because the longer Putin drags this out and refuses to sit down at the table, the more likely it is he's gonna end up taking over the whole country if he wants to. But in terms of a peace process, any negotiation, it's still Russia's position that they will not sit down unless Ukraine agrees to disarm and disavow its desire to join NATO.
Speaker 4: Correct, that is correct, Yes, Yes, Sergey Lavrov reiterated that about four days ago in a little known clip from the West where he just categorically said, yeah, we're not even going to consider anything short of demilitarization and denoxification and of course the non NATO part two.
Speaker 3: So yes, so we're not making any forward progress here. It's there. No, the two sides continue to go in opposite directions with the.
Speaker 4: Chancellor match with this, with Zelenski continuing to talk really antagonistic toward anything Russia, continuing to say I want more stuff. You have more people on this now with Trump making these comments, more people in the US saying, you know what, more sanctions and let's do more weapons. Jack Keane was on Fox News this morning making that impassioned plea, all of which go the opposite direction of bringing this to a conclusion and increase the chance that Ukraine will ultimately be militarily defeated.
Speaker 1: Okay, real quick for we part company on sanctions is do you think that sanctions could be a potential inrow to getting the Russia to sit down and maybe take a little less stronger stance at the outset? I mean, do we have anything left in our sanctioned arsenal to give too harm to Russia?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 4: I'm not a skilled mathematician, but whatever the number less than zero is, that's the chances for the sanctions having any impact. If you've had zero for seventeen rounds of sanctions when the US was fully on board and you know, had the quote crippling sanctions and Russia weathered all that, and now their economy is growing at a faster pace than ours is. Then that tells you all you need to know that Russia has made themselves sanction proof and it is more insulting than it is effective to think that you're going to have another sanctions round that's going to do what almost four years of efforts before have failed to do.
Speaker 1: It's irrational. Didn't pull any punches on that response, Daniel Davis. Now, finally, one final question in terms of the available troops to fight the war on behalf of Ukraine, they got to be running out soon or their numbers have to be perilously small. They've lost so many people on the front lines, is do they have a well to go back to anymore. No.
Speaker 4: In fact, there's been there's been a couple of research reports issued in just the last handful of days in the West and some of Ukraine as well that have calculated that Russia, and I think it was just the last month, recruited fifty thousand troops in a single month, fifty thousand, and the casualty rate is way less than that. So by maybe ten to fifteen thousand, they're adding more troops than they are losing. But Ukraine, even with the worst mobilization where they literally take people off the streets and that's now a routine thing in Ukraine, they're not even able to offset losses.
Speaker 3: So both the.
Speaker 4: Ukraine side is shrinking every day, the quality of what they can put it up to a quarter and in some reports say that they actually flee the battlefield when they get there.
Speaker 3: And then you have the Russian side.
Speaker 4: Getting bigger, stronger, economically, industrial capacity, everything is growing. So any way you want to look at this, it's it's bad news for the Ukraine and the Western side.
Speaker 1: Daniel Davis deep Diye I find them online, get his podcast. Tune in every every Tuesday at eight thirty the fifty five KRC Morning Show. I'm not sure what we call that news, Dan, it depends on which side of this love the ledger you're on. But wow, truth it's true. There you have it. I love getting truth and we all get it from you. Until next Tuesday, my friend, have a great week.
Speaker 3: See you next time. Eight forty three fifty five kr S Detalk Station. Be right back. This is fifty five KARC and iHeartRadio station.