Speaker 1: Coming to you from the dining room table at East Barbary Lane. Welcome to a new episode of Full Circle the Podcast. A visit to our home where we squeeze a few headlines through our decidedly queer lens and see what happens. This episode is brought to you by Decanted Jugwine, a horribly inconsistent schedule, and the month of July.
Speaker 2: I am your host, Charles Tyson Junior.
Speaker 1: And I'm your host Martha Madrigal. Welcome to the Full Circle Table.
Speaker 2: Yay, hi baby, we are Oh my god, we've.
Speaker 1: Been doing things. We've been doing things and stuff and such. Yes, we've been getting it done.
Speaker 2: We've been being voices, a presence and a voice for the people and such.
Speaker 1: I'm serious, I am too. Yeah, I mean, I swear I was taking Pride month off this year and I was busier than ever.
Speaker 2: I thought it was funny when you said it.
Speaker 1: I know, with things like I had to prep for and stuff, right, But we did some cool stuff we did. Yeah, June was packed full.
Speaker 3: Well.
Speaker 1: First of all, happy anniversary.
Speaker 2: Yes it's our Yesterday was our OG anniverses, our OG anniversary twenty fourteenth.
Speaker 1: Fourteen years ago. Yesterday we had our first date, the first date that never stopped, right, I think I put out. I'm pretty sure I did. I'm pretty sure I did.
Speaker 2: Did I have a what was it A three?
Speaker 3: I had?
Speaker 2: Fuck what?
Speaker 1: I know your grandfather did?
Speaker 2: As it were, there were rules. No one told me about rules.
Speaker 1: We had known each other for eleven years, so yeah, fine, whatever.
Speaker 3: But yeah.
Speaker 1: June eleventh, Garden State Equality organized the rally in Trenton. We're going to talk about the legislation that has passed finally, and we are so proud of having shield lulls that are probably the most the strongest in the country at the moment because they were written and rewritten up to the moment. So as Michiga, you know, reared its ugly head, for instance, Texas suing New York, our wise and wonderful folks anticipated and responded to that kind of bullshit. So I was invited to MC the rally, which was my honor.
Speaker 2: Yes, great, and you kicked ass.
Speaker 1: And I say all the time, I'm not a megaphone person, but sound system was was just not present. So there I was with a megaphone.
Speaker 2: Yeah it looks good on you. I got a lie.
Speaker 1: I gotta say, I, so, I can't say that anymore.
Speaker 2: I cannot lie. I meant to say I cannot lie, and then I mix it up with I gotta say so. I said, I gotta lie.
Speaker 1: Okay, we're off to a rousing start. That's a microphone. There's things on your head are earphoneses, And this is our podcast. No, I don't smell toast good podcast?
Speaker 2: You say yes.
Speaker 1: And also on that day we were invited to the Governor's mansion. Oh my god, that was the same day on it it was for Governor Mikey Cheryl's pride reception. Yes, and you said the bourgiest sentence that may have ever come out of your mouth. Yes, after the.
Speaker 2: Fact last year was better.
Speaker 3: You did.
Speaker 2: Last year was better, And I'm like, wow, I actually said that. But you know what, find.
Speaker 1: The lot Well, it was just it was different, it was organized differently a little bit. It's hot as hell day it was. Yeah, it was.
Speaker 2: Still a lovely event with lovely people.
Speaker 3: I know.
Speaker 1: We were up in Trenton and for the rally, and for a minute we talked about like staying up there and then going to Princeton and but we were soaked to the skin. Yeah, I mean it was a very hot day out there.
Speaker 2: We would not have been as cute as we were, not at all.
Speaker 1: So we did come home, shower and rest and then go back to drum thlack it yes, which was lovely you know, open bar anyway, right, that happened, and then we did at the close. So last year I spoke Woodbury had there for Woodbury Little Woodbury, New Jersey near us had their first Pride celebration and I spoke, yes, you did at that. And then this year we partnered with s Chack, which is the South Jersey Artists collective collective for Tell the Children at Dinner.
Speaker 2: Yes, it's a collaborative on an ongoing collaborative project with the friend of the pod Ken Wynn, who decided that, damn it, we were going to come together and create some art. So of course I said, okay, And so the project Tell the Children at Dinner. I love that title. I gave that title. It's basically a dinner party slash performance. The audience is sitting around the table and at the head of the table is a featured guest of honor who will share a story, a personal story of their queer history, and there are dancers slash performers who are also seated around the table, and they slash wei depending will perform and dance to punctuate various moments in the story.
Speaker 3: It was.
Speaker 1: It was a lot of fun.
Speaker 2: It was fun. Our first first one a few weeks ago, and it was the close of Woodbury Pride. You were the guest of honor.
Speaker 1: I know that it was fun. We had a much bigger crowd than I expected. I don't know why. I just always assume if I throw a party, no one will come. That never actually happened, exactly. It's so silly of you to think no. But we had a good crowd and it was really a lot of fun to do. It was interesting. It was a so I guess do we call it a performance piece? It was a performance theater storytelling?
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, And.
Speaker 1: I got I got some lovely feedback from a friend of ours who said you were you. I'm going to forget how she said it, but it was kind of you manage the tension so well, right, you know, And which is what storytelling and comedy you know, are are like we create it and then we alleviate it, and then we create some more. And you know, that's kind of the EBB and the flow of a good story correct and I had a blast.
Speaker 3: I did.
Speaker 1: But but that's what I meant by I had to put work into that. Yeah, because y'all were just standing there and I was asking for direction, and you're going, well, once we know what you're talking about, thing exactly, have direction.
Speaker 2: I'm like, a fuck, Yeah, that's that's not how this works. We're just framing the work around you miss thing, and uh, we're going to get another opportunity to do tell the children at dinner with you you. I love that because ask Jack wants to do it again in October.
Speaker 1: I know that's exciting. That's excited. I'm glad because I you know, we're gonna work the bugs out a little further. Yeah, I love my story. Keep them interested.
Speaker 2: It'll be nice to have a chance to do it without the pressure of having put it together in a short period of time. We have time to work things out and yeah, add a couple more elements or something.
Speaker 1: It felt good to do that kind of creativity again together because it's been a it's been a minute, it has been a minute. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I was like, look at me, I'm choreographing.
Speaker 1: I know, I had, I had a good time. We're going to talk about Cats, Theagelical Ball. There's there's a whole lot going on, And we were going to go for your birthday, yes, August fourteenth, and then they run is ending on the eighth.
Speaker 2: Yeah, which is exactly seven days before we were supposed to go.
Speaker 1: Well, I just got a text message that this Saturday we will be their second row center. So we're going to celebrate your birthday early. Yeah, this Saturday, Yes, in the second row, and I have a feeling we will meet under Deshields.
Speaker 2: I'm so excited.
Speaker 1: Yeah, oh my god, it is confirmed.
Speaker 2: I'm giggling with glee.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's the this is the one Broadway show I think You've been the most excited forever.
Speaker 2: I have ever since it was first announced. When it was making its off Broadway debut, right, I was like, wait a second, this is a production of Cats I might give a shit about because historically I have never been a fan of the musical of Cats. No, I'm because it's bad. To me, It's dumb, it makes no sense. The dancing is always fierce. Butellica jelical Ball a ballroom reinterpretation. Now this I can get behind and and basically like the Royalty of Ballroom is in this cast. So I get to see Laomi in real life, you know, Junior Libaysia and of course Andre to Shields.
Speaker 1: I am so excited Deuteronomy. Yeah, so we were able to get in right under the wire and yeah.
Speaker 2: Really that's so exciting. That's so cool.
Speaker 1: So that's going to happen and we'll be able to talk about that, and we are going to talk about what's going on, yes with Broadway and the show, because it's really not cool, but at least we will be able to see the show.
Speaker 2: Yeah. The last episode that we put out was an interview that I did with a queer author named Kathy Anderson about her short story collection called Vamoose Yes. And that was a delightful conversation and it was a good book and we got to talk about the themes and everything, and she was impressed that I had some astute observations about the themes of the book and the stories. Awesome, So you know, I love that. Yes, you can go back a few episodes and listen to that interview and get a copy of the book.
Speaker 1: Okay, okay, anything else on your spirit?
Speaker 3: Anything else it's been a month.
Speaker 1: It's been it's been well, it's been more than a month. I guess we did record in June because I know we said it's Pride month, right and then and then Pride Month was a whirlwind where yeah, busy, we were busy.
Speaker 2: Yes, doing the things and seeing the people.
Speaker 3: Doing the things.
Speaker 1: And July has not been less busy. Actually, I know, my god, yeah I am. I was part of a keynote panel for the first Weave conference in New Jersey, which was a recovery conference centered around marginalized people and in particular LGBT people, and this one was focused on peer support, which is near and dear to my heart.
Speaker 2: So yes, and you rocked it. Apparently I did. Had it not been a recovery conference, you would have said, hold my beer.
Speaker 3: I did.
Speaker 1: Okay, Yes, there was no beer, Yeah, there was no beer. It was good. It was good. And I ran into you know, people that I have known for quite a while. In fact, I quoted the quote that I use all the time. I'm sure I've said it here that you know, curious, stay curious because curiosity keeps us out of judgment.
Speaker 2: And then I borrowed that from you met my job the other night.
Speaker 1: Well, you know, and I said it, and I properly attributed it to one of my instructors when I was in peer training several years ago, and the beautiful blonde walked up after the panel and said, do you remember me? And I said, remember you? I just quoted you. And we had a we had a key key for like an hour, my instructor, Jenna, and she said, well, fair is fair because I quote you from that class.
Speaker 3: All the time.
Speaker 1: And I'm like, I love that.
Speaker 2: See yeah, I left an impression as you're want to do.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but so did she because that was that was a gem when I heard it, and I thought, this is mine Now I will say it and say it because it's it's true. The more we, you know, stay curious and ask questions. Yeah, whatever the situation, it does keep us out of judgment, It keeps us interested, It keeps us learning rather than concluding.
Speaker 2: Right getting to the roots of things rather than judging what's on the surface.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: And it's never been better advice than right here and right now, at this point where we find ourselves. And it's also really important in recovery and working with you know, a whole bunch of different people trying to pull their lives together. You know, that's staying curious and trying to understand people where they are rather than where we.
Speaker 2: Might like them to be. Indeed, Republicans could take note word.
Speaker 3: We had a lot of.
Speaker 1: Deaths since we last that to we do Bonnie Tyler, Bonnie Tyler died. I know, I was sad about that. I loved her voice. I loved her voice. In fact, I performed I was going to say her music.
Speaker 5: But yeah, yeah, she did have a very powerful vocal presence, especially in the eighties. Oh yeah, in this great whiskey voice. She was seventy five, told the.
Speaker 2: Eclipse of the Heart being her biggest hit.
Speaker 1: Yes, she has been hospital had been hospitalized in Portugal for I want to say since maybe April.
Speaker 3: Or May, no May.
Speaker 1: I believe she had emergency intestinal surgery and was in an induced coma for a period of time. We thought she was improving and she passed, So, you know, we lost her talent.
Speaker 2: Indeed, she was Welsh. I did not know that she was.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Welsh.
Speaker 1: Get me learning things, So rest in power, Bonnie Tyler.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and then more recently Sam Neil died.
Speaker 1: Now tell me who he was.
Speaker 2: Oh, he was a wonderful character actor and leading actor in a lot of major films. Probably most notably he had the role of doctor Alan Grant in the Jurassic Park series Universe. Yes, like that was his major, major, major role.
Speaker 4: I knew him first from the film in the Mouth of Madness, which is a horror film that you're never going to.
Speaker 2: See, but it's one of my favorites, where he plays an agent who has to track down this elusive author who disappeared right before he was a turn in his newest novel. Oh, come to find out, he retreated into this this little New England town that only existed in his books.
Speaker 1: Huh.
Speaker 2: And it's very love crafty and except without the racism. Oh okay, but but yeah, he had a prolific career. How old he's seventy eight? I think, yeah, yeah, it was seventy eight when he passed. That's crazy, Sam Neil.
Speaker 1: Back in May we lost Rob Bass.
Speaker 2: Yes, I left this on the list because the last time we were we had recorded, I had forgotten somehow to mention it, and I didn't want to go another episode without mentioning that he passed.
Speaker 3: It was only fifty nine. Yeah, Rob Bass.
Speaker 2: Was a foundational pioneering artist in in hip hop. It takes too, Yeah, that it takes too. I don't think there is a birthday party, wedding reception, bar MIT's foot botmans for barbecue gathering of any kind where there's a DJ where if you want to get asses on this on the floor, you don't put on It takes two.
Speaker 3: How about that?
Speaker 1: Yeah, he had He had turned fifty nine just four days before he died on May twenty second. Yeah, after a battle with cancer, a private battle with cancer, right right, Yeah, man, it's a shame.
Speaker 2: The song of his that I love, possibly more than it takes two is joy and pain. That's always been my jam, and I think I might listen to that tonight.
Speaker 3: Okay, all right.
Speaker 2: But yeah, I wanted I didn't want to go another episode without mentioning that that that he.
Speaker 3: Left us there.
Speaker 1: Clive Davis, Yeah, damn, that's talk about an icon, talk about an icon and an icon maker. He was ninety four. Yeah, king was what I said, icon maker, king maker? You said the other night, was there anyone who didn't work with Clive Davis? Because dear God from Johnny Cash to Whitney Houston to Oh my God, Yeah, Alicia Keys, Jennifer Hudson, Yeah, that's oh, Aretha Franklin, Aretha Franklin.
Speaker 2: So many, so many. Yeah, he got he brought Aretha Franklin. Uh not, I don't want to say revived her career, but he brought her into the pop R and B sphere with the duet that she did with George Michael. Yes, I knew you were waiting, Yes, and that ushered in the whole, Like, what's what's the song? The not Freeway Love?
Speaker 3: Is that her Freeway of Love is?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah that that that Pink Cadillac Pink. No, that was Natalie Cole.
Speaker 1: Oh right, I guess they're different songs. Yeah, okay, every mind Freeway of Love?
Speaker 2: What and like I love that like on the opening of Buster Rhymes's Genesis album as a recording of Clive Davis calling him and telling him to keep it, gutta.
Speaker 1: Keep it got her Yeah, no, guta gutta just keep it. Gutta no R right drop the hard R already.
Speaker 6: Uh.
Speaker 1: Freeway of Love was nineteen eighty five Aretha Franklin.
Speaker 2: Yeah, oh that was that was a vere the Franklin Freeway.
Speaker 1: Of Love, Freeway of Love, Aretha Franklin nineteen eighty five.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, pink Cadillac was what we said was nat.
Speaker 1: But she's said in my pink Cadillac it did. We're going riding on the Freeway of love and my pink.
Speaker 2: Catalog, right, Okay, that might be what I yeah.
Speaker 1: When's against our back? Ain't we riding on the freeway of love? In my pink Cadillac? It's not the same song? Right? But she also had a pink Cadillac. Okay, So I didn't in the song, which I desperately want, I know, you do anywhere between a fifty nine and a sixty four. Yeah, but I think I would like it in pink. And there there was I think it was called Persian Sand. There was an actual factory color that was a pink and had like a you know, there was usually a two tone pink interior. Here you go, I don't. I would be fabulous. I agree, I agree. And if it's a convertible, so much the better, I guess.
Speaker 2: My God, Barry Manilow, Patty Smith, Lou Reed, Gil Scott, Herron, The Kings, Melissa Manchester, Dionne Warwick, Who's zoom and who Yeah, that was the That was the Aretha Franklin song. I was trying, do.
Speaker 1: You know that over one hundred pink Cadillacs were in her funeral procession? That something about that? I love that.
Speaker 2: That sounds right.
Speaker 1: But yeah, back to Clive Davis, who we're actually talking about.
Speaker 2: I was trying, uh.
Speaker 1: Ninety four years old. What a life, what a storied life? Really, and yeah, so much amazing talent.
Speaker 2: He is responsible for a significant chunk of pop culture and pop music. The biggest thing was finding out that he was queer. Hm hm oh yeah, Clive Davis.
Speaker 3: Was a icon, right.
Speaker 1: Oh when you said the biggest thing, like it was a surprise, I.
Speaker 2: Mean I didn't know, but I also didn't think about it, right, But then I was like, oh, well, of course, there you go. How are you going to how are you going to be responsible for the careers of Barry Manilow and Aretha frank Glenn and Whitney Houston and not be a faggot? Come on now that's true, Come on now, and George Michael bitch come on.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, what a career, Yeah, what a career.
Speaker 3: What a cast?
Speaker 1: He did that he did, He did and he did it for decades and decades. Legacy Legacy Victoria Cruz. This this just made me sad. I did not know her personally, but everyone knew her as Miss Vicki. She was a veteran of the trans rights movement. She died recently at seventy nine.
Speaker 3: Oh wow.
Speaker 1: She worked for seventeen years at the New York City Anti Violence Project. She was at Stonewall on that night in nineteen sixty nine, and you know a lot of folks looked at her as a matriarch, a matriarch.
Speaker 3: She died on June twenty fifth.
Speaker 1: I came to know I had. I knew her name, I knew of her, but I really saw more that the documentary that I believe is still in netfix the Death and Life of Marcia P. Johnson. Yeh, she has featured heavily, yes, because she is, you know, one of the people who just would not let that go and really did her best work to try to figure out the truth in Marcia's death because no one believes it was a suicide or a swim that went wrong. Right, So you can see Miss Vicki in that documentary, and she just shines, and she talks about her own life. You know, back in nineteen ninety six, she was repeatedly harassed and assaulted by coworkers, you know, as a trans woman working you know, in a nursing home in Brooklyn, and that anger fueled her career with the with the Anti Violence Project. Back then, it was run by Christine Quinn, who later became the first openly gay speaker of the New York City Council.
Speaker 2: So she worked with her, Yeah, doing the work.
Speaker 1: She did the work. She did the work her whole life. She cared deeply, She cared deeply about the community. And as I said, you know a lot of folks looked at her as a mother figure and she will be missed. So rest in power, Miss Vicky Cruz.
Speaker 2: So this next one is a personal one for me. So at the end of June, we lost Donovan Hagen's Donovan Mark Hagen's who was a friend of mine in college. We met actually through dance. Although he went on to become a prolific actor and he made a significant presence in the Philadelphia acting community. Uh he performed with Freedom Theater and First World and basically all over all the major players I've seen him play in comedies and dramas, and he was featured in a multi episode arc in season two of The Wire. And he was just a good dude, like a general good and a loyal friend. Like he would like we would fall out of touch and then he would like just reach out and be like, Hey, it's been too long, what's up. The last time I saw him was when we had the bar and he was like, oh you still do that open michaels like. He was like, I'm gonna come back, and he did and he came and he played piano.
Speaker 1: And sang.
Speaker 2: Like he was and everyone loved Mark. Everyone loved Donovan. He was just that dude. He was a good dude and.
Speaker 1: He was everywhere. Yeah, Rutgers, Camden Center for the Arts, Freedom Theater, a Zuoka Theater Collective, New City Stage, the Philadelphia Arts Collective, play Pen, Walnut Street Theater, First World Theater, Ensemble, Imagination Stage, Arena Stage, African Continuum Theater Company, Ford's Theater, and Tribute Productions.
Speaker 3: Just so much.
Speaker 2: And one of the things he was most proud of he was a resident producer for Philly Young Playwrights. Oh yeah, bringing young people into the theater world. So yeah, that's a shame. Definitely be missed. What a loss, Yeah, what a loss resting power. I'm just gonna mention on a lighter note, on a lighter note, Ladybug kicked it. So the NDAs are are probably canceled, and we are going to talk about that ship a little bit later. Lady pet.
Speaker 1: They say you should only speak good of the dead. Lindsey Graham is dead.
Speaker 2: Good by bitch.
Speaker 1: We'll talk about that in a minute. Yes, we will show seventy one years old, lady Lady, Lady Geez left.
Speaker 2: Stage seventy one years old, died way too late.
Speaker 1: Right, thank you?
Speaker 2: Yeah, because you know normally say too soon. I caught it. Oh, I caught it, Yeah, I caught it.
Speaker 1: That's one we hear the coming threes. Shaw, we don't believe the proof of life for you know, the turtle right, So m that might be two come one, number three.
Speaker 2: Very much like they treat they're treating Mitch McConnell like they treated the Gold Tablets and the Mormon religion. Oh yeah, he told me that he's doing just great, and he told me to tell you how No you can't see him, but hold on going to the other room. Come back. Yeah, he's great.
Speaker 1: The memes though, the memes coming out of the proof of life photograph are fucking brilliant.
Speaker 2: Huh.
Speaker 3: I'm funny as hell.
Speaker 1: So we don't know if he's alive or dead. I don't know anyone who wishes him alive. But we'll you know, we'll leave that one lafe for now, right, and we'll talk about Ladybug later.
Speaker 2: One day. I'm going to stop giggling at that, but today is not that day.
Speaker 1: Hey. You mentioned an article from Alt Smart Houston's LGBTQ magazine titled seventeen seventy six to twenty twenty six The Moments that defined Lesbian, gay and Bisexual Rights in America, A timeline of the battles, breakthroughs, and setbacks that shaped LGBTQ life in the US. And I assume we are going to put that in the note Yes, folks to read on their road.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's a lot to get into here, but it's definitely an interesting list and I think everyone should take the time to go through it. So you were going to post it in the notes to this episode?
Speaker 3: Okay, okay?
Speaker 1: These are notes on American history and things like Harrie Hay in nineteen fifty launching the magazine Society. Harry Hey, right.
Speaker 2: The timeline of quote unquote sodomy laws being repealed.
Speaker 1: Right, Baird rust In the Daughters of Belitis.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Stonewall, of course.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 1: They missed the the nineteen sixty five march in Philadelphia, but.
Speaker 2: They sure did.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they sure did.
Speaker 2: It's not a it's there's always in any list, there's gonna be things, uh huh that.
Speaker 1: I look for that aren't there. Right, So, but Harvey Milk, it interesting the March on Washington for lesbian and gay rights. Yeah, et cetera, et cetera. So interesting piece.
Speaker 2: And when you check out the list, feel free to hit us up at ask Full Circle Pod at gmail dot com or visit our website, Full Circle Thepod dot com and let us know what should be on that list.
Speaker 1: That is that's missing. Yeah, because there's plenty, Yeah there is.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Okay, ready, so let's take a quick break and then we're gonna come back and talk about good news.
Speaker 2: Yes, let's do that.
Speaker 3: We'll be right back.
Speaker 1: And we're back.
Speaker 2: We're back.
Speaker 1: You want to slide into good news? I would, I would too. The New Jersey legislature he has passed a bill shielding reproductive and transgender healthcare providers. Let's see, they passed a bill on June thirtieth in both the Assembly and the Senate affirming crucial protections for reproductive and transgender healthcare in.
Speaker 2: The state, which is major.
Speaker 1: Yes, a coalition of organizations from across the state celebrates the bill, urging Governor Mike Y Cheryl to sign it into law immediately. My understanding is, while that has not happened yet, it is because there will be a ceremony a right since we it didn't happen in time to sign it, I guess for Pride Month and also have a signing ceremony. So I look forward to my our invitation to the signing of this bill. And I am not claiming near the work that so many, including our good friend Lauren Albrect at Garden State Equality put into Lauren, yeah, Lauren said. We want to express our gratitude to everyone who contributed to the passing of these critical protections. To every lawmaker, policy expert, healthcare provider, advocate, ally and individual who worked on this legislation over the years.
Speaker 3: Thank you.
Speaker 2: Yes, I love that.
Speaker 1: Also, by passing this bill, the legislature has sent the message that bodily autonomy and access to medically necessary, best practice healthcare are New Jersey values. As other states and the federal government attack reproductive and trans healthcare, we have made it clear that the Garden State will protect both the life saving care itself and the people who provide it. Our priorities now will be to ensure Governor Cheryl swiftly signs this legislation and afterwards to educate healthcare providers on these new and bolstered protections.
Speaker 2: Love that the more I look around at the landscape and see what's going on with legislation and just the culture of politicization of lives, I'm realizing how lucky we are to live in New Jersey.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, Oh my god, I absolutely. I mean, you know, as so many of you know, my trans siblings, especially kids you know, are scrambling and their families are moving, fleeing, you know, states they've spent their whole lives in because of politics, because of hateful Republicans and misinformation. I'm so proud of the state where I was born. Senate Majority Leader Teresa Ruiz, who I got to share this stage with in Trent, said Yesterday marked the end of a two year that again, speaking of this was on July first. Yesterday marked the end of a two year fight led by parents, advocates, and members of the LGBTQ plus community who refused to give up on Senate Bill twenty two to sixty, often in the face of significant fear and uncertainty. She was one of the bill's primary Senate sponsors. At the heart of this bill has always been the recognition that every person's humanity is unique, and no one should stand in the way of an individual's freedom to make decisions about their own body, health and future. As a mother, a policymaker, and a staunch ally, I look forward to seeing this critical measure signed into law so that patients can access the care they need without fear or intimidation, providers can continue doing their jobs without the threat of prosecution, and New Jersey can remain a beacon of inclusivity, compassion, and individual liberty for all. Indeed, this Shield Act, as I said, you know, it goes so far as to say, you know, there are consequences if you interfere right in people accessing reproductive care or gender affirming care, and.
Speaker 2: It's insane Jersey that that needs to be said.
Speaker 1: It is, but hey, it does do things need to be spelled out, and you know, delftly the language kept up with the nonsense. Our friend Kadijah Silver, civil rights attorney, director of Gender Justice and Health Equity Lawyers for Good Government. As other states and the federal government escalate efforts to criminalize and regulate legal healthcare beyond their borders, New Jersey has taken a critical step to protect patients, providers, and its own authority to govern the healthcare of its residents. New Jersey is drawing a clear line requiring health care providers in this state answer only to the laws that already govern them. As a tax on bodily autonomy, increasingly ignore state lines. Shield laws are becoming essential legal infrastructure for protecting patients and providers alike. The question is no longer whether their states will need shield laws, but how quickly they can build them in the face of eroding federal protections and interstate conflict over healthcare, we urge Governor Cheryl to sign this bill into law without delay, and New Jersey now joins fifteen states and Washington, d c. And passing such a shield law. This codifies the executive orders Governor Phil Murphy signed in twenty twenty three. Now it will be law.
Speaker 2: Damn was that long ago?
Speaker 3: It was?
Speaker 1: And you know the folks at Garden State Equality have been working on this for those whole three years. Yeah, and going back and forth to the table. And you know, I have to say, it is all about bodily autonomy when we look at the bullshit since Rov. Wade was rescinded by the paid for Supreme Court, well the not so Supreme Court that you know, since that has happened, see women dying and near dying.
Speaker 2: Bleeding out and barking lots and ship right.
Speaker 1: Reproductive healthcare and gender affirming care are two sides of the same coin. This is all about bodily autonomy, yep, not just for trans people, for you know, everyone with a uterus. This protects our care. I'm so proud of my stay right now.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, this is.
Speaker 1: Really truly good news. Its just share so uh, this is you know, out of the advocate. The Trump administration caves to public pressure after an avalanche of opposition to the anti trans hospital rule.
Speaker 2: And this kind of thing seems to be happening more often lately, like all these sweet things that he like spat out are now collapsing under the weight of public outrage and factual evidence and combinations thereof.
Speaker 1: Well, and here's the thing, more than thirty thousand public comments helped derail an HHS proposal that threatened funding for hospitals providing gender firming care to transgender use. And the threat was, you know, we'll take away all of your Medicaid and Medicare funding, jeopardizing all the care you offer. This was their most extreme attempt to force hospitals nationwide to abandon gender firming care for transgender young people. Some bullyshit, Yeah, so this is a rare and instructive victory against a federal government that has otherwise moved aggressively to dismantle trans rights. It's good news.
Speaker 2: It's great news.
Speaker 1: It's good news, you know, because here's what happens, so in conjunction with the Human Rights Campaign, because nearly twenty thousand of those letters came from HRC members and supporters, the Quality California said. Major medical groups, including the American Medical Association, the American Academy of Pediatrics, and the Children's Hospital Association, also urged the administration to withdraw the rule. The public record created through the comment process can expose legal weaknesses and force agencies to confront evidence they would rather ignore and make a role more difficult to defend in court. And when there's this kind of backlash, you know, they realize they're going to spin their wheels and look like idiots. At least this time. At least this time it helped. It doesn't mean we get to rest, of course. It doesn't mean that they're not going to keep coming at us, because that's all they want to do. But they have walked away from this at this point. They're not going forward. They're not going to waste everyone's time this time. This would have imposed a new condition on hospitals participating in Medicare and Medicaid, and hospitals providing puberty blockers, hormone therapy, or certain surgeries to patients younger than eighteen could have been expelled from the federal insurance programs. Crazy. It's crazy. This is all healthcare, it's life saving healthcare, and no politician belongs anywhere in this conversation. That's right. So kudos to everyone who wrote and took the time to stand up to these viciously cruel inhuman politicians. At least this time it mattered exactly, keep fighting, to keep standing together and keep fighting. What else we got? Oh? A federal judge, by the way, did shut down the Trump administration's attempt to get its hands on trans kids medical records.
Speaker 2: Uh huh, variation on a theme we have here.
Speaker 1: Yeah, this was just July sixth, and the judge cited Trump's attempts to identify, to demonize, and ultimately to eradicate an entire population of transgender people.
Speaker 2: But when we call you nazis, yeah, the problem with that.
Speaker 1: The federal judge issued a scathing ruling against the Trump administration as it tried to get Stanford University's hospital to turn over the private medical records of transgender miners. And this is covered in our shield laws now here in Jersey. Yeah, the disclosure of such information would also out provisional class members as transgender to a federal government that, for more than a year has sought to identify, demonize, and ultimately eradicate an entire population. The US District Court Judge p Casey Hits, who was a Joe Biden appointee, wrote in his opinion when issuing a preliminary injunction against the Department of Justice's attempts to get the records. Hospitals are pushing back left and right, and good such disclosure and the attendant loss of privacy, chilling of doctor patient communications, and risk of governmental harassment cannot be undone. Yep, yep, love.
Speaker 2: This right, I love this Hippo still means something.
Speaker 3: For now.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Many federal judges have been quashing these subpoenas for the past year, citing privacy concerns and the Doga's inability to show why it needs the records. But grand jury subpoenas are harder to quash, and some hospitals have been forced to turn over records. The nationwide campaign against trans kids has led to fears that the administ traation wants the records to build a database of transgender people for possible targeted oppression. Yeah, you know, you know, at least California families right now can breathe a sigh of relief. So once again the courts held and at least some of us were protected. Indeed, that's next Illinois Governor JB. Pritzker.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, this was cute. M Yeah. So this is.
Speaker 3: The end of.
Speaker 2: June, Governor JB. Pritzker of Illinois, just hours before he marched in the Chicago Pride Parade, signed three trans rights bills into law. So he just had like a theme day. The theme is free, Eat a Bitch.
Speaker 3: I love it.
Speaker 2: I love it so yeah. So. HB five nine five solidifies the process for trans people to correct the gender marker on their IDs to male female or X. HB five four ninety two mandates that insurance companies cover up to a six month supply of prescribed hormone therapy, as well as quote the necessary supplies for self administration. Both of those laws will take effect on January first, twenty twenty seven, and then HB four eight three four updates the Illinois Prescription Monitoring Program to remove testosterone and prohibit the addition of estrogen for press stone and Misoprostall. Did I say those right?
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 2: The law, effective immediately will prevent the database, which is used to prevent certain drugs from being over prescribed, from being abused to prevent folks from obtaining gender affirming and reproductive health care.
Speaker 1: Okay, he said.
Speaker 2: Today, I'm proud to sign landmark legislation expanding on my administration's work to make Illinois a safe, empowering, and inclusive place for the LGBTQ plus community. He made the statement on social media with my signature, we are a few steps closer to a state where all can live their lives without fear of hate. And then he posted a video of himself touting the bills as he prepared to march in Chicago's Pride Parade.
Speaker 1: I love it, I love it.
Speaker 2: I love it.
Speaker 3: I love it.
Speaker 2: You do the work and then you have a party. Right, very cool and what's more queer than that?
Speaker 3: Well, I mean the butt fucking but.
Speaker 2: Okay, maybe a little bit stupid, but also true.
Speaker 1: So there was a sweet little article about the founder of Flags for Good, who we love.
Speaker 2: We have their products on all four corners around we do.
Speaker 1: Michael Green is the founder. They do have a storefront now, but he talked about, yeah, how their year is kind of built around pride. That's their Christmas. They started the company in twenty twenty selling exclusively Black Lives Matter flags. Well, that's right, but when he decided he wanted to secure the business long term, they added Pride flags. And this is relevant because they created the Pride flag for Stonewall with the National Parks logo that the Trump administration wanted to take down.
Speaker 2: Oh wow, look at them. And I had made a video. We have one of their flags, the banner in our driveway and it's the Philly Pride colors with the burn and black stripe, and each one has a different value. You know. Black lives matter, science is real.
Speaker 3: Yep.
Speaker 2: And I took a video of myself unfurling it for the first time and they use that video in their store for advertisement for a while.
Speaker 1: Gotta love that, ha hahaha.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and they asked for.
Speaker 1: Permission first, Yes they did, Yes, they did. He said he can think of no community that uses flags the way LGBTQ plus people do, word with seemingly endless designs, celebrating every conceivable identity. He says his team is all too aware of the constant debate over whether it is all too much for whom exactly we talk about yet all the time. At what point does it start taking away? At what point have you fragmented so much that you start fragmenting the community. There is no clear answer, but what is clear to Green is that LGBTQ plus people feel deep kinship with the flags that tout their specific identities, and they certainly do make quality broaduct they do.
Speaker 2: And then my question to the people who were saying, you know, does it take away? My question is why do you value tribalism more than freedom and expression?
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 1: Unsurprisingly, every Flags for Good employee identifies as some version of queer it. I am shocked, and Green said that in the company's home city of Indianapolis, there aren't many safe workplaces where queer people can show up as their full, uninhibited selves. While Green has thought about leaving a few times, joking that Flags for Good really belongs in a place like Boulder, Colorado, but he has realized that the store can make a bigger impact where it is by helping progressive folks in a red state.
Speaker 3: No, they are not alone.
Speaker 2: I love it. So they started in twenty twenty, so that means we were like early adopter.
Speaker 7: We were early adopter. Look at us Flag for Good. Hey, we love Flags for Good. And you know, if y'all wanted to sponsor this show, that will not be okay a problem with us.
Speaker 1: Because drop a jingle, you know, we will definitely tag you word up in the notes for this episode, what else we got a pride display created by little kids was set on fire. Sure, let's always look for the response.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: The community is fighting back in full force. Yes, even Toronto Mayor Olivia Chow has gotten involved and that's.
Speaker 2: Why this is in good news.
Speaker 1: Yes, a community in East Toronto has come together to support the LGBTQ plus community after a student created pride display at an elementary school was set on fire. Hundreds of students from r H McGregor Elementary School helped create an intersex inclusive progress pride I look at that made from individual piece of fabric tied to the school's chain link fence. Jessica Tom, a parent of McGregor's students who helped organize the flag project, told CTV News that participation ranged from kindergarteners to fifth graders, with each grade level tying different fabric colors to the fence to create the flag image. The flag was set ablaze only days after its completion. Tom called it extra insulting that someone would destroy something created by children.
Speaker 2: What is missing in your soul?
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 1: It's a representation of the inclusivity, kindness, respect and belief in community that are really foundational in our school and to see something like that destroyed, even though it's merely a symbolic thing, it really hurts. But the surrounding community is determined to show agbritqu Plus people they are perfect as they are. This is a good part, and parents and children alike have returned to the fence to add rainbow flags and uplifting signs like Phoenix's Rise from the Ashes and you Can't burn Love work. People have come and brought their pride flags from their houses. Tom said, people have gone out to get more pride flags.
Speaker 2: Probably from Flags for Good.
Speaker 1: Maybe there's been people who've brought ribbon. So I think the response is pretty clear and a desire to really show that level of support. Now, Tom and a coalition of other community members are advocating for a more permanent display of pride in the form of a rainbow crosswalk. A petition to Toronto Mayor Olivia chow teuts that parents, students and neighbors are coming together to make sure this act of hate is met with a louder, more visible show of love and inclusion, and we're asking our elected representatives at the city and provincial level to stand with us.
Speaker 2: You yeah, I love that and and there's a picture here of the uh of the original display before it was vandalized. It's so cute. And they did they picked the the Progress Pride flag that includes intersex individuals, like with the little circle in the in the yellow area.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's so fierce. It is, it's adorable. It was an hard installation and some.
Speaker 2: People and they put a lot of work into that because each of those colors is composed of, like we said, individual pieces of fabric and yeah, that's yeah, those cases did a lot of work. And some ass hat uh huh, yeah, because something is missing or broken inside of them that they just couldn't stand the sight of it.
Speaker 1: But imagine being that jackass that set FI to it, watching all those people show.
Speaker 3: Up with all those right, yeah, you are in the minority.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you have to find a way to sleep at night and your day is coming word.
Speaker 1: So trans service members challenging the military band, I've scored a major victory. A judge has ruled that their case, Talbot versus the USA, can proceed as a class action lawsuit, So that means suing for all of the damages. Yes, that we're done.
Speaker 2: I'll never get the first time I ever heard of someone bringing a lawsuit to the US itself. I believe it was Malcolm X and the Nation of Islam that brought a lawsuit to the USA, and I just thought that was the most like audacious thing I'd ever heard of it that point, and so every time it happens, I'm like.
Speaker 1: Yeah, do that shit right as we know. You know, Trump forced distinguished trans military members out of the military just because they're trans, and plaintiffs in the case seeking to overturn the ban on trans military service members scored a major victory with a ruling transforming the case into a class action lawsuit work. The ruling for class action certification allows plaintiffs to seek to extend protections one and Talbot v. Trump to all transgender service members currently serving. It also ensures that future rulings against the ban will apply to all members of the newly created class uh huh. It upheld a district court's preliminary injunction halting military separation, and Tuesday's decision allows attorneys in the case to seek its application to all transgender service members currently serving. There will be more process in court, said Michael Haley, as to have attorney for glad Law, which along with the National Center for LGBTQ Rights, represents the original plaintiffs. I don't want anybody to necessarily be under the impression that will win today means things on the ground change immediately. To military dot com, We'll have to look at the order, see what the order says and what it means going forward. Right, Well, application of previous wins for the original plaintiffs in the entire case of transgender service members will likely be challenged by the administration. One thing is clear. Any wins in this court will apply broadly work good, yep, good, because it's so arbitrary and hateful, with no basis other than degrading distinguished service members who happen to be transgender. It's nothing but ugliness, hate and petty, disgusting politics.
Speaker 2: Like how are you going to tout the the might of the US military out one sidi face yep, and then be so small and petty and childish. Well they do it all the time the other side, I know, but it's just like how to fuck hm hmm.
Speaker 1: Indeed, yeah, these are glimmers, you know, They're glimmers of light and I love highlighting them. Yeah, so good for them. Good for us indeed, and I'm happy for them. It's a long fight that they should not be involved. And to begin with that part, yeah, but we're made of better stuff than these idiots. So t that concludes the good news we collected for this particular episode. Yeah, leading us to a segment we like to call.
Speaker 8: People taking pleasure raal name yay.
Speaker 1: So, as I mentioned, Ladybug Senator Lindsey Graham has been mentioned in a viral post by a now transgender author, now outlely transgended author Jesse James Rose, who alleged with a hand raising emoji that Graham paid a quote twinkie pre transition college student of fat stack of cash for a meetup.
Speaker 3: Uh huh.
Speaker 1: We can only assume the NDA has died with.
Speaker 2: Uh huh, ladyg Is it wrong that I have that song from Sesame Street in my head about the Ladybug picnic?
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's all said.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: He died this past Saturday night, reportedly from a verdic dissection. The reaction from our community has of course been immediate, because we're like that, well we're like that when you are pretty obviously one of us, but you fight vehemently to oppose us to attack our rights and to bilddle us while you fuck us at night, right, or in this case, we fuck you read Lingerie was mentioned somewhere, let's say with little black dots. I'm guessing you know, and let's be clear. Throughout his tenure, Graham was a staunch opponent to the advancement of our civil rights, opposing marriage equality, advocating against the repeal of donats, don't tell, voting against workplace discrimination protections on transwrites. Specifically, he supported state level bands on gender firming care for minors. The bitter irony of this record is that Graham spent much of his political career denying rumors and speculation about his own sexual orientation, a task that became more difficult in the social media age. Indeed, some young queer people weren't made aware of the senator's death via a push notification from a publication. Instead, a now viral Instagram post from trans author and actress Jesse James Rose, in which she details an alleged experience of being paid by Graham for sex work prior to her gender transition while she attended college, ended up inadvertently being the way man he found out about his passing will. The author attended NYU holds a degree in music, theater and child and adolescent mental health studies. According to her bio, most of you know him as the homophobic senator from South Carolina, but to me, oh boy, he will always be the man who paid a twinkie pre transition college student of Batstacker cash to do unspeakable things to him in a hotel room while he wore red lingerie usspeakable. The sorry I keep crying during sex, author wrote in D three slide post, accompanied by a hand raising emoji. It is a canon trans event to have far right freaks bankrolling you and then turning around and voting against.
Speaker 2: You before turning around again.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yes, people love to judge us for it, but I never see them opening their wallets shout out to sex workers everywhere forced to humanize their enemies just to make rent well. It is an absolute mind fuck to me that one of the reasons I have any semblance of financial security and the lack of student loans is because of this man.
Speaker 2: Burn the profits of your oppressors.
Speaker 1: Right, That's what that means.
Speaker 2: That's exactly what thank you.
Speaker 1: At the time I had no idea who he was, and I only figured it out because another group of twinks leaked Lady G to the media. Some queers tried to grandstand critique this, saying we shouldn't out people. Yeah, I believe that's true. It is true, except in this case.
Speaker 2: Yes, thank you exactly.
Speaker 1: And she said, I believe bigots with power deserve no peace or privacy, especially when they hold public office. I'm glad they did it icons forever. Yeah, I'm sorry. If you fuck us at night and then legislate against us during the day, expect to be outed.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 1: I think it only took this long because, Yeah, there were probably NDA's place that did not follow him in. Right.
Speaker 2: You don't get to have peace when you're one of the reasons why being in is a thing in the first god damn place. Yeah.
Speaker 1: He consistently denied being gay until the end of his life. When Chelsea Handler made insinuations about his sexuality online in twenty eighteen, he said, to the extent that it matters I'm not gay. The fuck you weren't, you know? And I love the meme that says there was never any allegation of sexual assault by women right toward Senator gream, No, not women.
Speaker 2: I'm not good with any here. Stop, I'm not gay, right?
Speaker 1: And he paid the boys. Yeah, and he paid the boys.
Speaker 3: We know this, We know this.
Speaker 1: You know it's I've long said, what's taking the ramp boys? So long?
Speaker 3: Probably?
Speaker 2: And yeah, probably I always assumed that was the case.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but evidently we're going to spill the t all over DC.
Speaker 2: What did I say? Is going to be an influx of tell all books with titles like Surviving the Ladybugs in the Ladybugs b.
Speaker 1: Let's see. This is not the first, though. In twenty twenty, porn performer Sean Harding posted online implying that an unnamed Republican senator had hired multiple gay sex workers, including him. People connected the story to Graham based on the nickname Lady g a code named sex workers in DC allegedly used to refer to the South Carolina legislator. We've known this for a while, and the nickname did follow Graham for what would turn out to be the final years of his life. Even right wing influencer and Trump ally Laura Lumer said that Graham was gay. While testifying under earth for a deposition several of President Trump's staff have told me in confidence that Lindsey Graham is gay, she said during the deposition, which she later defended it online, saying she did not want to perjure herself. I mean from space, Lindsey Grandma's gag.
Speaker 2: And if, for whatever reason, listeners, you don't know where the ladybugs thing comes from, We're not gonna tell that story here because iw however, it is easily googleable.
Speaker 3: I don't want to know.
Speaker 2: Oh you don't know, I don't know.
Speaker 1: Oh fuck, I fine, So I don't know.
Speaker 2: There is a story, one of the stories, one of the first stories that I heard, one of the Rent boys talks about how he came out of the bathroom to see Lindsey Graham on all fours uh huh, and he noticed that there were these black spots on his hind parts and so he like asked if he'd, like, you know, cleaned him, showered and cleaned while he was like yeah, And he asked him, like, do you mind if I wipe you down? He was like sure, And in so doing he realized that they were moles around his little balloon knot probably not so little, and he said, oh, those don't worry about that those are just my ladybugs.
Speaker 1: Oh I did hear this before I forgot I think I blocked it out like I'm going to do again.
Speaker 2: See, I offered to n.
Speaker 1: Yes, yes, that is that's where ladybug, those are just my ladybugs. Yes, and Dear God in Heaven.
Speaker 2: Every time I hear that in my head, I picture it in the voice of the gay bookstore owner on Family Guy. It's my ladybugs. Oh now, uh huh.
Speaker 1: So this is about calling out hypocrisy. Yes, this is about you know, a person so self loathing, yeah, that they will use their power to condemn us. Well, they desire us, and they fuck us and they pay us. They also work to obliterate us because something inside themselves is so deeply broken. And these are the people who will always deserve to be out. And I'm sorry not so if he was just openly gay, no one, you know, we'd work to protect his privacy.
Speaker 2: He was like the poster child for house faggotry.
Speaker 1: Right right, And you know I had a little respect for him, you know, back in what twenty sixteen when he was actually telling the truth about Donald Trump. But as soon as Trump actually won, right, Lindsey Graham. I guess he's a sub right, because God knows.
Speaker 2: Yeah, for five seconds we were trying to employ that the enemy of my enemy thing.
Speaker 1: Yeah no but child, no, no, no, So it just means we have eyes. What a wasted life.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there you go.
Speaker 1: What an ugly hypocritic legacy. See, and I don't know brought in hell.
Speaker 2: The only good thing he did was putting several sex workers through college's that he did. We'll take that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, thanks for that, Thanks for that. What was that? There was one meme that said something about he said something about, I don't think God is going to ask me about something, and the response was, maybe you shouldn't be assuming you're gonna see God, right, you know, like maybe maybe not?
Speaker 2: Yeah, really, yeah, you're not on this listen, good.
Speaker 1: Riddance, bye, bitch, ladybug. Yeah, and you would think he could afford a layer.
Speaker 2: Thank you, Oh my god. Yeah, it's a conversation piece.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but here's the thing. You know, when you don't have a personality, Yeah, every thing that happens now is so well deserved, so well deserved, and you know, if it humiliates your family and their family for generations, that's who you were right, that's what you did, right, that's the legacy you bill.
Speaker 2: Yep.
Speaker 1: Welcome to it.
Speaker 3: Yep.
Speaker 1: So, a man who threatened by Pride month's shooting was arrested for possession of guests child's ex abuse pictures and videos.
Speaker 2: That train is never late. Yeah, this is from the beginning of July.
Speaker 1: Actually, yeah, he posted let's kill every single person in the LGBTQ community online, but then he told law enforcement he was just.
Speaker 3: Trolling, bitch. Mm hmm.
Speaker 2: Actual crimes are yeah.
Speaker 1: Agents with the FBI's Field Office in San Juan have arrested a man on charges related to multiple threats of committing anti LGBTQ plus mass violence and possession of child sexual abuse material. This train is never ever late, right, Yeah, here's these are the groomers people. Thank you here God in heaven.
Speaker 9: So.
Speaker 1: In February, the FBI San Juan Field Office counter Terrorism Program received an anonymous tip about a social media user who appeared to be planning a mass shooting targeting the community. According to an affidavid, the user had shared a tactical map showing a gay friendly bar in the metropolitan area of Puerto Rico. Agents were able to identify the user as Dela Cruz Yes. A search of his social media turned up multiple public posts dating back to at least twenty twenty four. There was a photo of him pointing what appeared to be a firearm at the camera, along with.
Speaker 3: The phrase.
Speaker 1: Last thing you will see on Pride month in Spanish, he expressed admiration for the man who carried out the massacre at Pulse. In one post, he described me as a hero. In early June, he posted images of patches associated with neo Nazis, over which he had written let's burn the LGBTQ community to the ground. Hunting season is on.
Speaker 2: What a delightful human being.
Speaker 1: Right after issuing a search and seizure warrant for his Google accounts, they discovered as many as five hundred images that contained cartoon or artificial intelligence, created obscene visual representations of minor engagement in sexually explicit conduct, and seven videos of child sexual abuse. This is what these fucking sick puppies jerk off to when they're not busy hating us children.
Speaker 2: It never occurred to me until literally this moment, that you could use AI to make child.
Speaker 1: They do, Oh yeah they do. And I think they were looking for a loophole with it. But I think it's being treated the same because obviously it is.
Speaker 2: It never even occurred to me to put my brains also the other the things being a thing.
Speaker 3: But they do. Mm hmm.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but you know, the shit in his little callers went beyond. He charged with interstate communication of threats, receiving child sexual abuse material and receipt and possession of obscene visual representations of child sexual abuse. Ye're welcome, I Dela cruse and be fitting right. Your esteemed legacy as well.
Speaker 2: You belong in a cage.
Speaker 1: So happy Pride month, bitch that part.
Speaker 2: Well it's July, so now we're in wrath month.
Speaker 3: There we go. You want to do this song?
Speaker 2: He's fun, This is fun. I had to keep this on the list. So a couple of weeks ago, Donald Trump had himself. He threw himself a party because he was the only one that went his Great American State Fair.
Speaker 1: You would think he'd be tired of the birthday parties no one comes to. But anyway, I know, and Great American State Fair.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I mean it took place in a state. I guess that's the only Actually, no, it was in d C. Wasn't it. Dang, that's not really a state, is it? So none of those words are accurate.
Speaker 1: Apparently this is worse then it looked on TV. Donald Trump's Great American State Fair has been resoundingly mocked on social media for its low turn out, as well as the president's and his sec offants continued claims that the event is packed with people. One reporter, Slate's Molly Olmsted, decided to visit the fair and see for herself whether it is really as bad as it looks on TV, and her conclusion was it's worse.
Speaker 2: She said, I aimed to go down to the fair and find something unexpected. It seemed possible those photos were a matter of off hours, of poor angles or selective omission. But now we can confidently report that the Great American State Fair is a big old dud.
Speaker 1: Imagine that.
Speaker 2: No one wants to come to your beer can clan rally sir right.
Speaker 1: The fair was planned by Trump's Freedom two fifty task force No One's Happy right Now. It opened on June twenty fifth, ran through July tenth as part of the nation's two and fiftieth anniversaries celebration. It's more of an SOS call It's meant to be a World's Fair style event, showcasing the country's fifty six states and territories. It put too much emphasis on trumpeting magas successes.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Instead of making partisan politics the backdrop, they made it the main focus, and in doing so had apparently forgotten that fairs are supposed to be.
Speaker 2: Fun, right. Yeah.
Speaker 1: She described the state of deeply conservative vendors like Focus on the Family and Moms for America that pitched a godden country vision.
Speaker 2: No cotton, candy, no balloons.
Speaker 1: The booze from various federal agencies were hardly any more nonpartisans. The Treasury booth advertised Trump accounts, the US Department of Agriculture both greeted you with a poster of Trump pointing and declaring America is back, and the Education Department booth featured an advertisement for a patriotic museum that's a cracking good time tucking Nazis. Oh my god. That department, long a target of conservative iren, didn't even get a full booth. Half of its space had been given to the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration. She described watching board fairgoers struggle to pay attention to the MAHA, Monday would make America hate again.
Speaker 3: Monday. I don't know.
Speaker 2: I think it's going to be make America healthy again.
Speaker 1: Oh h events which were simply panels discussing various aspects of the movement in the content next to a state fair. These lectures couldn't hold the crowd's attention, decrying the overall pamphlet forward approach of the event like.
Speaker 2: Have ever been to a party?
Speaker 1: Jesus? The event felt empty. It wasn't the heat, uh oh, and it was only a little later attendance wise that day than the average.
Speaker 2: Olmstead pointed out that the clearly failed event was a nightmare for Trump, whose opening speech for the fair claimed the country is quote respected by everybody, and that nobody's laughing at us any more. Oh honey, they all please clap, and yet please clap. And yet the event quote made no attempt to emulate the most charming elements of fairs. It instead tried limply to spread a Trump rally across a one point five mile long fair ground. Oh dear God in Heaven, with some MAHA power points thrown in. As a result, it committed one of the worst crimes possible in the eyes of President Trump. It made Maga look boring.
Speaker 1: Here here, oh maggo.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the place where fun goes to die.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 1: Fox News continues to celebrate the thousands of people attending the fair. They even went so far as to tell viewers they shouldn't believe what they're seeing. The pictures don't really tell the full story because if you look behind us, you see, okay, there are a couple hundred people back there. But the truth is when you make your way over here, you're in this wash of people. He said. All the the empty grounds were directly behind. They didn't even try anymore.
Speaker 2: Not only was it not a wash of people, the people there weren't even.
Speaker 1: Washed, He claimed, the fair was packed with happy people. Your lies are just ms now. Anchor Nicol Wallace burst out laughing as she read, do you think that Obama or sleepy Joe Biden could have done it?
Speaker 2: The answer is no, no, because people would have shown up and had a good time.
Speaker 1: I can't believe I'm reading this, Wallas said, Yeah, you're a joke.
Speaker 2: Obama brings Beyonce.
Speaker 1: You're such a joke.
Speaker 2: You couldn't even work in us a popcorn machine.
Speaker 1: Nope, you all are a joke and.
Speaker 2: Ones of threes of people.
Speaker 1: Everyone knows that again, you idiot.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, I kind of love it. Oh, oh my god. Yeah, a crime against fun.
Speaker 1: Once again, a party no one went.
Speaker 3: To.
Speaker 2: I'm going to be busy that day. I didn't even tell you what it is. It doesn't matter. We'll be busy that day and sick.
Speaker 1: So flow Rider apparently honored his commitment to play at the failing Great American State Fair. He had been included in the initial announcements of performers set to play gigs at the State Fair. However, the headline artists I guess besides him, including Martina McBride, Brett Michaels, The Commodore's Young MC and Millie Vuckin Vanilli, all canceled shortly after the event was announced, citing the political shadow over the event to celebrate America's two hundred and fifties. So you know, I guess once they got win that it was nothing but a big Trump they all left.
Speaker 2: You couldn't even get Millie Vanilli to come, and one of them's dead.
Speaker 1: Yeah, except flow Rider made sure nobody thought he was signaling his support for Trump and the Republican party by performing at the event. Via a post on social media. On the same night he electrified the crowd. On the Mall Crowd, he formally endorsed a Democrat running for Congress on his million strong Instagram.
Speaker 2: Well, apparently, like no one came for the main event, but like his performance actually had a crowd.
Speaker 1: Flow Ryder and Vanilla Ice I know the only acts who did not pull out of the event. While Vanilla Ice addressed the controversy around performing for Trump, flow Ryder remained silent on his appearance. The closest he came to making a statement was a post on June first, where he did not mention Trump by name, but said, regardless of all the noise in the world, we can still choose every day to be positive and share good news. That all ended when he appeared on the stage for his free performance at the State Fair, he addressed the gravity of the occasion. During the show, he told the crowd America's birthday. This is something I don't take for granted. This is something that's going down in history. To be here tonight, so to come out here and show my gift and understand what purpose is gift, Understand what the assignment is it's only right that we come out and spread contagious love. Unlike most attractions at the event, flow Rida managed to draw a large audience, as seen in footage shared by the fair organizers.
Speaker 2: Because white people love that damn song.
Speaker 1: One attendee said. The rapper invited audience members on stage and handed out flowers unsigned sneakers. The state fair has, of course been dogged by lackluster attendants, a brutal heat wave and environmentally damaging fireworks, as well as visibly melted, botched repairs on Trump's wrap.
Speaker 3: Look up, arch.
Speaker 2: I was ready to clown Flow right up for participating.
Speaker 1: Is that why you posted this and shot?
Speaker 2: Well? Because he used the stage to endorse a Democrat he did.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so that is, isn't it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's the reason why I kept it, because I was like, really, they dug you out of obscurity for this shit, but then he used it for good, so okay.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he endorsed Democrat Bernard Taylor. He was running for election to the US House to represent Florida's twenty first in Congressional d That's actually.
Speaker 2: Kind of awesome. Yeah, And Vanilla Ice, he didn't got no integrity. He just shows up because you ask him to. You give him twenty dollars a ride home and maybe a snack, and he'll sing his one little song for you probably.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So yeah, it's a joke. The whole thing is a joke. Yeah, it's a ridiculous failure, as is our resident in the White House. That mother photo. Yeah. Oh oh wait, let's see what am I reading? Vanilla isis show was canceled two hours before he was due to perform at an I Love the Nineties concert due to inclement weather.
Speaker 2: Oh right, even God didn't want him to perform.
Speaker 1: The fair was closed for the remainder of the day for safety.
Speaker 2: Uh huh, so we could be safe from Vanilla.
Speaker 1: And just to put a bow on it. Trump has reportedly been livid about the poor attendants at the fair, and some White House officials who shared revealing photos from his speech were even told to lead them. You know, it's kind of like, fuck all, y'all.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: It's just as well though, because Vanilla ICE's song Ice Ice Baby has been co opted by people who use it to talent immigrants.
Speaker 1: Hawks News is token liberal commentator Jessica Tarlov. Yeah, yeah, it was quick to poke fun at the absence of crowds at the Great American State Fair. She's a Democratic Party strategist co host of The Five visited the fair while co hosting a special broadcast from the site with colleagues Jesse Waters, Greg Gutfield, Dana Perino, and Joey Jones. Plenty of room at the state Fairs, she wrote in one post on the side of a photo of a completely empty field. She also posted a video telling viewers, I'm at the State Fair. It is as empty as advertised. It is also so hot that it's not really safe to be out of here.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 1: That Thursday was the hottest July second on record, with afternoon temperatures above one hundred degrees and extreme heat warning was in effect throughout the day.
Speaker 2: Even the tumbleweeds that were rolling through went home. Early.
Speaker 1: Fox News inadvertently drew attention to the lack of crowds, with Michael Estemy reporting live from the fair and streaming just how hot it was. The current temperature outside right now, by the way, one hundred one degrees a factor in the humidity, and it feels like one hundred and ten right now. But let me tell you something that does not stop our true patriots, he continued, as the camera panned over a largely empty field with some two dozen visitors visible in frame. Backtracking slightly, he noted that the heat, though certainly keeping the crowds at bay well at the same time claiming that plenty of folks are still braving the heat.
Speaker 2: So it was more than I thought.
Speaker 3: It was.
Speaker 2: Fours of sixes of people.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah, let's say, Oh god, it's so sad. It's all so sad. It's also sad. Oh so a resounding joke across the board.
Speaker 2: It was met with a resounding wall wall for.
Speaker 1: The hated president with the dirty diapers. Oh my god, and this has been your moment of.
Speaker 8: Etoia people taking pleasure Raal nine.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, I know right, cathartic it was. So it's been a minute. What is the current fifteen minute favor? You got one? And where to come from?
Speaker 2: I think I know, I do, I think I know.
Speaker 1: So.
Speaker 2: My name is Charles Tyson Junior, and I have a problem. I can't stop listening to this damn song. I haven't gone where did you come across this song? I haven't gone a day in three weeks without listening to it. It comes from the soundtrack of the current hit television series The Vampireless Stats. So a big part of the story of the vampirelest stat is that he awakens from his one hundred of year's slumber and becomes a rock star. And there's a soundtrack that's released as a campaign to the show when they release a new track with every every episode, and this one it's so good. It's called The Loneliness, and it just it was a fifteen minute fave before the episode was over, and I can't go a single day without listening to it or singing it. It's it's I think I have a problem.
Speaker 1: Well let's all find out together as we go out to the break.
Speaker 2: With the Loneliness by the Vampire listad.
Speaker 3: We'll be right back.
Speaker 9: You can't fuck away, wait till you done, till you you can come. You can't wait.
Speaker 8: The os, It'll wait till the next day.
Speaker 9: Like a heading sucking you drive.
Speaker 8: You can't say this look mass it'll say what a mess?
Speaker 1: How a boy?
Speaker 2: Don't hide it up?
Speaker 10: Way, don't bury those feeling, don't wrship that.
Speaker 2: Done on, don't burn.
Speaker 1: And we're back. We're back at a so a that song leaves me damp.
Speaker 2: But sad, and who amongst us has not found ourselves in such a state right at some point or another, I'm confused, fair fair enough.
Speaker 1: That was a four day break, by the way, it is now Sunday, July nineteenth, and heart seriously, So, as we started this episode, we found out that we had tickets to see Cats the Jellico Ball, and last night we did just that. Yes, oh my god.
Speaker 2: So I think it went like something like this Jelicle Cats and then it started crying, and then it didn't.
Speaker 1: Stop, and then you did stop. Yeah, And at intermission you went to the restroom and Elizabeth and I had a moment with Cameron Mannheim.
Speaker 2: Yes, who was one of the celebrity guests.
Speaker 1: She was sitting directly like right across the aisle from me, yes, and they introduced her and she did go up on stage with Ray Meagan, who was the singer Yes, okay, and they were the celebrity judges for the evening. And I said to Elizabeth, that's Cameron Mannheim and she she just like had a moment of who's that? And I showed her a slightly older picture and Elizabeth, oh my god, right, oh, my god, and she's in Susan Warner's promo video and I remembered that I had forgotten all about this. Well, we're going to go say hello, And before I knew it, we were saying hello, up, and which is time? Anytime you spend with Elizabeth.
Speaker 2: And I come back and you're like showing me pictures of hanging out with Cameron.
Speaker 1: She said, oh, my god, let's take a picture and send it to her. Well, it wound up being a little video of us saying hey to Susan.
Speaker 2: Because she was taking videos of a photo. Yes, was taking a video, and She's like, okay, let's say hi.
Speaker 1: So we said hi. That was incredible. I did fangirl. I didn't want to interrupt her time there because you know, Broadway, but she was lovely and I did fangirl because Cameron Mannheim, you know, spent many years as an actress of size and really carved a niche for herself for smart women. Yeah, and I just love her work.
Speaker 2: I've always enjoyed her.
Speaker 1: You know, she has I read up, you know, because she has lost quite a bit of weight and the old fashioned way, you know, diet, exercise and all of that, and she looks terrific.
Speaker 3: She does.
Speaker 1: At first, I didn't recognize her at first in profile, and then I was like, and then after they introduced her, it's like, oh my god, I am such a fan and I did manage to say that much. And then we you know, let her be right. That was just the first little thing that happened. And then afterwards, well you can talk about if you want to.
Speaker 2: So it turns out that Elizabeth happens to be old friends. They go way back with one of the stars of Cats, Agelica Ball.
Speaker 1: Someone argue these stars.
Speaker 2: Some would argue these star He goes by the name of andre To fucking Shields. That was just me andre To Shields, who I have been a huge fan of since I I was how old are you in fifth grade? Ten?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: I guess so since I was like that ten years old, I have been a huge fan of Andrea Shields. And so apparently Elizabeth had texted him and was like and told him that and asked if it was okay if we had a little moment, and apparently it was because after the show we were told to hang out near the stage door. We were given we were put on the list and given wristbands, and then someone came and collected us and we went not to meet Andrea Shields, and I got to tell him that he's an inspiration to me. And I said, I wasn't going to cry, but I did.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean it was. He could not have been more lovely or more gracious, I know. And you know, we were kind of trying to rush ourselves out just because you know, he in fairness, the man is eighty years old and he did two shows yesterday and this was at the end of the second one, and you know, he was up for a visit which was incredible, just incredible, and I, you know, just blurreted out that our our friend Gregory King wrote an amazing essay which we will link to in this episode. Wrote an amazing piece about Jelicable canceling early last performance at August eighthly closing early and well they had announced an extended run and then canceled them. And really excellent thought provoking piece that you had you messaged Gregory about. We will be interviewing him tomorrow Monday, Yes, and get that episode out as well, well, talking about you know, this piece that really examines what closes and what gets to hang around, right, and the fact that it's not just about money, so it will be a very interesting conversation. Andre said, please do send me that article. So I have his phone number on my phone now and I did send the article and he said, I'm I just read that and I'm sharing it on social media, so squee. We sent that to Gregory so he would know. But it really is a great piece and it's going to be a great interview because there is such a larger conversation to be had the other person that we ran into while we waited to you know, we were let inside backstage, and then as we were waiting, Temptress Chastity Moore, who is an amazing Zabella trans woman who played Grizabella roots very much in Ballroom but apparently has not been on stage for about twenty years, saying the literal fuck had a memory and the song never made me cry before I was bawling because there was a moment, you know, Grizabella kind of looks crazy and in the beginning and a bag lady basically, and there's a character trying to remember the character's name. Syllabus syllabus sibylists, Sibylists syllabus sibylists. I think anyway, there's a moment and oh and you rightly picked out We thought for a moment that the costume was an homage to Marcia P. Johnson because there was a ring of flowers, but you saw.
Speaker 3: What it really was.
Speaker 2: Yes, I was like, oh, wait, that is the cover of the book All Boys Aren't Blue.
Speaker 1: Yes it is, Yes it is.
Speaker 2: And I was like, and you know, it's a fierce intentional reference either way. But once you realize you know it's the book cover, it makes everything else about the character makes so much more sense.
Speaker 1: Right right transferm Human Teddy Wilson Jr. Syllabub Syllabub syllabub and you know pink overalls, which I think is also symbolic. Yeah, and you know the crown of sunflowers. And there was a moment where Syllabub had had tried at the end of the first act to present Grizabella with a gown, and she kind of brushed the young person away, and then you know in the second act she's she's in the gown, and there was a moment between the two of them that made me burst into tears, saying, because I'm sitting there with Elizabeth, with whom you know, run Transformation Collective. We have been doing this work together for the last six years, and you know, Elizabeth extends well beyond that in terms of you know, mutual transsupport and discussion and aid. And that moment sort of summarized for me what we do and it was just I cried through the whole fucking the I cried and cried because it was beautiful.
Speaker 2: It was That's why I was sobbing. At first. I was like, oh my god, this exists places.
Speaker 1: To show that should run for years.
Speaker 2: I agree. Like the fact that, like the fact that it was happening in front of me, just made me cry because it was so beautiful, seeing all these like beautiful full queer black and brown like trans feme just all these wonderful people and killing it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and Elizabeth and I got to have a conversation with Chassidy that was totally unexpected. What a gift, you know, And I said, enjoy every moment of this. Just soak it in because she got a long standing ovation for it and I could feel her soaking it in.
Speaker 2: We may or may not have help facilitate that standing ovation because we're all screaming our full heads off, and I look around, like, why is everyone sitting? And then I started to get up, and then everyone.
Speaker 1: Else we've stood up, and we stood up. I could not stand up exactly. It was just amazing and so well deserved, and you know, of course the entire cast. This is such a celebration of black, queer and trans excellence and enjoy and creativity and oh my god, what a show.
Speaker 2: I'm looking around like all of your Broadway stars now and as it fucking should be. Oh my god.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, and.
Speaker 2: Just and you know the show has You can enjoy the show no matter who you are. But if you know, if you know ballroom and if you know queer, black and brown folks, there are moments that it's like, oh that was for us, that was like and my favorite is a line I never thought I would hear in a Broadway show. I thought it was kind.
Speaker 1: Like it was okay, right, So yeah, wow, just what a night.
Speaker 2: What a night.
Speaker 1: So sorry to see it close. We're going to do everything we can to at least have this conversation a little bit differently than Andrew. Lloyd Weber is trying to have this conversation, which we'll.
Speaker 3: Talk about later.
Speaker 1: I was so moved and so thrilled all night, just all night. It was captivating. This was elizabeth second time saying it. She told me I want to go back, and we had tickets to go on your birthday, as I mentioned top of the show. But this all worked out.
Speaker 2: Yeahsing The new closing date is now a week before when we would have.
Speaker 1: Gone exactly exactly the weekend before. What a show, what a night, what a filled with bonuses, you know. And then this morning it's surreally texting with Susan Warner and then Andre de Shields.
Speaker 2: And we're talking and I'm just sitting there like, look at.
Speaker 1: Us, and I was like, you know, whos on the other end of this text right right? And sharing photos from the evening and just relishing at it all.
Speaker 3: What.
Speaker 1: I am so grateful we got to do that. And you know, as much as I loved meeting Andrea, seeing you meet Andre is what's going to stick with me forever. I'm so so thrilled you got to do that me too.
Speaker 2: And tonight I got to go back to work and act like my entire life hasn't been changed, right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So more to come, Like I said, we will be talking to Gregory. We will try to get this episode and then that episode, or however this works out out as quickly as possible. I believe you've had time during the break to edit up until the day. Sad fifteen minute.
Speaker 2: Fave, damp and sad might be the working title to this episode so far.
Speaker 1: There's my basement, folks, both of them in the never Mind, I'm not gonna never Mind.
Speaker 2: Shall huge celebration.
Speaker 1: Of just again, excellence and joy and I can't say enough. If you have any opportunity to get there, get run, don't walk, joke, get there.
Speaker 2: And we were in the second row.
Speaker 1: We were in the second row, Yes we were.
Speaker 2: But I feel like there's not a bad seat for this show because you know, we're up front, so we get all the characterization in the side comments. Oh yeah, if you're up a little further, you get to see all the choreography in the formations, like there's there's a reason to be in every.
Speaker 1: Well, we saw all of it. Yeah, we saw everything from right there next to Cameron Manheim. Brilliant seats, brilliant And it was a fluke that they were available and Elizabeth grabbed them. Happy Anniversary, happy Birthday, og anniversary, Andy and birthday indeed and thank you. Yes, yes, and Kathy couldn't go with us, but I did get her a fan and an autographed playbill, So yes, I think I made up for and we missed her. I think she would have loved that, truly our typical Broadway pal.
Speaker 2: I'm I wish uh my dearly departed bestie Christina could have been around so I could tell her that we met camera or that we that Cameron Mannheim was in the building.
Speaker 1: Yes, yes, oh we met her. We have photographic evidence, it's true, of the three of us together. Yeah, I feel lighter, So do I in all the michigas and bullshit which we are about to get to. Had we had just an amazing, amazing Saturday. Yeah, I don't want to do this next part, but I do because these are conversations we've been sitting on for a bit. So without further ado, it is time for the cavalcade of complete and utter fucking nonsense.
Speaker 9: Boo.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 1: So yeah, an article came out this was uh, you know, Aaron Reid, Thank God for Aaron Reid. After the trans athlete bands, the Heritage Foundation now sets its sights on dismantling Title nine. Raise your hand if you didn't see this coming and warn others anyway, anyone? Ber uh huh? And you know, in light of recent anti trans athlete rulings from the bought and paid for Supreme Court, well, a senior member of the Heritage Foundation is imagining a future that looks a lot like the past. One where a key provision of Title nine, a foundational law preserving gender equality, is gutted. Yeah, One where women in sports and in academia are sidelined in deference to men. Imagine one where trans people don't exist at all. Title nine's failed experiment, Why accommodating sex differences beats engineered parody is authored by Boise State University professor doctor Scott Jenner yenor doesn't matter, doesn't matter his name. Relying on sexist stereotypes, it calls for the government to let some schools dismantle competitive women's athletics, which is already comparatively under resourced. But we care about women's sports, uh, they don't, and let women funnel into more feminine physical activities like yoga, hiking clubs, and team cheerleading.
Speaker 2: Instead of what meeting contests while rolling in the mud. Fuck you.
Speaker 1: Experts have been sounding the alarm about this threat since the inception of Project twenty twenty five and before the far rights political playbook spearheaded by the dark money of the Heritage Foundation.
Speaker 2: I'm looking for the quote.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and this dude is, by the way, a senior research fellow at Heritage. In his spare time, he's a member of a secretive Christian nationalist group that's paid homage to the africaner nationalist movement white supremacists of apartheid era South Africa. According to The Guardian, Wow Yeah. At the National Conservatism Conference in twenty twenty one, he said in no uncertain terms that women ought to be relegated to the home and be subordinate to men. He detailed what he sees as the evils of feminism, labeled independent women as medicated, meddlesome and quarrelsome, and decried college and universities as the citadels of our gayna cocracy per ap.
Speaker 3: He said, if.
Speaker 1: We want a great nation, we should be preparing young women to become mothers, not finding every reason for young women to delay motherhood until they are established in a career or sufficiently independent. If every Nobel Prize winner is a man, that's not a failure. It's kind of a for celebration. Yeah, this is the great mind behind this shit.
Speaker 2: This motherfucker is married.
Speaker 1: Of course, this is only the most recent evidence that legal theories that rely on anti trans talking points are carefully crafted to undermine civil rights of protections generally, Zane McNeil, a legal fellow at Lawyers for Good Government, told Erin in the Morning. Although some of its arguments may seem far fetched, the theories espoused by the Heritage Foundation have a tendency to show up in federal policy. For instance, the Hertist Foundation was one of the main organizations behind the Conservative Policy Blueprint Project twenty twenty five, which now has more than fifty percent implemented by the Trump administration. You know, here's the thing. I told you well, and I am so fucking tired of TERFs for real academic lesbians who will bend over backwards to make the language wrap around this kind of bullshit. I ran into another one just last week, and it's like, you know what, and who actually had a tussle with a friend and accuse my friend of being performative And the real misogynist in the conversation because she just loves trans people while she creates spaces that are trans exclusive. Yeah, you don't love me, you don't know, and I don't want your love. Right and at a time when we have been telling you that an attack on trans women is an attack on all women, and you say, Pisha, right, we're the ones who are right in this, and stop pointing the finger at us, acting as if if we didn't exist, somehow your life would be better, because you are allowing, in fact, you're participating in defining women by their genital configuration, which I thought is what feminism was against right in the first place. So, yeah, it's happening. It's there.
Speaker 2: We've fucking told you.
Speaker 1: Yeah we did, we did. Even some Democrats have adopted this harmful rhetoric. Ohio's Democratic gubernatorial candidate for the twenty twenty six fucking elections, Amy Acton, became just the latest on the left to turn on trans children, referring to transgender girls as quote boys playing in girls sports Democrats and saying she disagreed with it on the grounds of kids health and safety. Bullshit exactly. She joins the ranks of Congressman sess multon from Massachusetts Congressman Tom Swase of New York and California Governor Gavin Newsom on that front, Yeah, this was only a step toward a broader attack on women. And the more you ignore the attack on trans women, the more all women and their rights are in peril.
Speaker 2: But he's good to me.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so've we've heard about the kerfuffle in Florida with the Irish dance competition. Ch'all yeah, Florida Republicans, of course, you know, wanted to enter the conversation because there was a trans girl who was going to compete. There was a coordinated campaign by the Florida Attorney General, James Uthmeyer to Republican members of Congress and Concerned Women for America, and as a result of the kerfuffle, the trans teenager ultimately withdrew from the Irish dance competition in Orlando. Now everyone was celebrating the fact that they did, in fact stand behind the trans girl and they fully intended to let her compete no matter what. Right this is true, which, yes, that's nice. Don't hold your ship in Florida. Well, then there's that don't hold your shit in Florida. In the first goddamn place. If you actually care about trans people, the only thing that gets through their heads is economic punishment. Truly, and if you really care about trans people, you will not hold large conferences in the state of Florida, or the state of Texas, or frankly, in any red state at this point, right reward the blue states where everyone is welcome and safe, and we alleviate the problem, and fuck them when they start crying about tourism. You can't have it both ways, or at least you shouldn't. We saw this in action way back when North Carolina first tried this shit with trans people in bathrooms, and the response.
Speaker 2: Was swift, yeah and acute yep.
Speaker 1: And they rescinded it yep. But now look where we are, so you know, this fuckery isn't going to end until people stop spending money in these states.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 1: As I was sitting down today to record, I read that the United Methodist Church's Oregon Idaho Conference has voted to move twenty seven annual conference out of Idaho Boom, saying recent state laws have made some transgender and non binary members feel unsafe. Rightly, so look at what they're threatening. Imagine it's against you. You want to go to that conference, I don't. The conference had already planned to return to Boise next year. Instead, delegates approved emotion directing church leaders to find a new location that is safer for all now. Of course, the people that are there, like the Reverend Jenny Hirst, an outreach pastor and Boisey, urged delegates to remain in Idaho, saying the state needs the witness and solidarity of the wider church now more than ever, except you're rewarding this behavior with money. She acknowledged the fear of many trans Idahoans are experiencing, but argued that leaving could unintentionally isolate the very communities the church hopes to support. Your state is isolating them. Dear moving a conference. The punishment in that is financial. It's financial to these miscreants that keep passing these laws in the first place. The Reverend Dwayne Anders, a senior pastor at Boise's Cathedral of the Rockies, shared that his own transgender child left Idaho because they no longer felt safe living there. Even so, he encouraged delegates to keep the conference in Boise, saying the gathering could have become a political demonstration of support for LGBTQ Idahoans while creating opportunities to engage lawmakers and local communities. Do that with your church, sir.
Speaker 2: So your child didn't just leave Idaho. They left Idaho and you.
Speaker 1: Or something, sir. Supporters of the move pointed to Idaho's recent laws affecting transgender people, including the state's bathroom law, although enforcement has been temporarily blocked by a federal judge while the law is challenged in court. Any transgender Idaho and say the legislation has created an increasingly hostile environment. Yes, it has. And then we have the yah who become the bathroom police. And you know, non traditionally feminine CIS women usually pay a greater price than we do. It's all fucked up. It's all fucked up. Bishop Cedric Bridgeforth described the conversation as deeply personal, efidelegates her testimony from transgender members, immigrants, and people of color about their experiences in Idaho. At the same time, he reminded the conference that faithful United Methodists continue serving communities throughout the state. All harm is harm. The bishop reiterated the decision means the conference will meet outside Idaho in twenty twenty seven. Although a new location has not yet been announced, it also means Idaho will lose hundreds of visitors who typically support local hotels, restaurants, and businesses during the annual gathering. You know, and I know our friend Chris Matthews, who I would love to have back on the show, you know, has quite a bit to say about this about you know, we're here fighting. Please fight with us. I hear that I do, And this may be the only way we push back is economically truly, is by shaming these laws as they deserve to be shamed, and not holding these large events in states that don't welcome all. It worked before, and you know, I hear tourism is down in Florida, but I want to see it down further. I'm sorry, right, you know I can't. I'm tired of parsing my existence and watching more happen and more happen, and more happen. These motherfuckers, these motherfuckers. Indeed, so anyway, I thought I would lump those things together and jump on my soapbox. If you really care about us, don't hold conferences, gatherings, or other events in states where everyone isn't welcome, and good for the United Methodist Church for standing up and saying no, no, thank you, thank you. That's real reconciliation. That's real reconciliation. That's really taking care of us. Don't force us to play. Will they enforce their laws or not. Don't do that to us. Don't make us wonder are we safe? Show us that you care that we're safe. Right, thank you? Yeah, next up.
Speaker 2: So I put the story in here as a way to get into the main story.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 1: I saw that.
Speaker 2: So Nolan Wells is the young man who a few weeks ago went on a boating trip uh in Mississippi with several of his white friends. He was the only black person in the group.
Speaker 3: Saw that.
Speaker 1: Or they're like sixteens altogether, maybe five of them were white. He was the only black.
Speaker 2: There was a photos four of them, but oh four, so it was yeah, it was five of them.
Speaker 1: Right, Okay, So four white teenagers one black teenager. Yes, the white teenagers returned from the trip.
Speaker 2: Five of them went on this boating trip. Four return four returned, and the four young white boys have no idea what happened to their friend.
Speaker 1: How about that?
Speaker 2: Yeah, he didn't have his phone allegedly, and they don't know what, they don't know what happened.
Speaker 1: Nolan Zavi or Wells was eighteen years old. Yeah, he was found dead following his disappearance over the July fourth holiday. Yeah, his death has sparked much suspicion and left unanswered questions after he took a boating trip with friends to Mississippi's Horn Island.
Speaker 3: So much wrong with that sense.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I'm picturing you going, mmm, I'm pretty sure I'm gonna hear Banjo's on the trip now that part. Yeah, I'm not doing well. And obviously he trusted his friends, right.
Speaker 2: And this is not the fifth time. And we have heard a story about one lone black person going on a trip with a bunch of white people and they come back and he does it. But and of course, you know, no one still knows anything. I just looked there. There's no new information. The family is still trying to get actual answers.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm reading from the Variety article where we do see Byron Allen donated one hundred thousand to the GoFundMe that the family set up, and Tyler Perry is paying for the funeral. So good on them. Yes, but this is hideous. It is it's hideous.
Speaker 2: And I was looking at the several of the instances, like I said, where a black person goes hanging in with their white friends and then the white friends come back, and in more than one, all of a sudden, the black person ends up being hung from something and they call it a suicide. Like these are the things like y'all obviously don't know black people, because y'all aren't even being slick with this.
Speaker 1: Shit, right speak.
Speaker 2: So I just bring it up because we need to keep talking about this story and stories like it that keep happening way too often.
Speaker 1: They're trying to play in our face.
Speaker 2: And I don't know what happened really, and yes, there is a possibility that these boys didn't do anything to Nolan. But at the same time, how the fuck do none of y'all know what happened? Oh, he just went away to his own thing.
Speaker 7: I don't know.
Speaker 2: Then, why did y'all leave? Why didn't y'all try to find out what happened to him? If that's your friend?
Speaker 3: Right? Fuck?
Speaker 2: This is why I am glad that I was born and raised in a city, because you know, I have frequently in my life found myself the only non white person in white spaces and white friend groups and going on white outings and things. But it was always in public places with lots of other people. And they're just certain places that I didn't wand off to.
Speaker 1: Uh huh. And yeah, so I mean this, we should not be having these conversations. But but wasn't.
Speaker 2: One of the white dudes that didn't come back exactly And I'm not It never is exactly. And I'm not trying to say, you know, you can't be friends with people that are different from you. Of course not. I'm not trying to say that. But what I am saying is people need to start putting trackers in their draws.
Speaker 1: That's what I'm saying.
Speaker 3: Mm hmmm.
Speaker 1: I mean, but would that I ultimately we're found the pastor we need body coms. They if you were going, if you were going to be the only non white person in a group of two or more, we need you to wear a body cam for your own safety.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because this is bullshit.
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 2: I hate that we have to be there, but fuck it.
Speaker 1: I can't off them White people in general. Just I got so little as it is. Yeah, yeah, this just sucks.
Speaker 2: So you know, peace to Loan Wells and peace to his family. And I hope y'all get the answers that y'all need, because I don't even know what else to say.
Speaker 1: Yeah, speaking of Broadway, Petty Lapone was on a gay cruise ship which was blocked apparently again from entering Egypt.
Speaker 2: After having been blocked from Turkey.
Speaker 1: And it was turned away by Turkey. And yeah, the LGBTQ plus cruise ship that Petty lapoone was performing on was blocked from entering Egypt after being banned from entering Turkey. CNN confirmed that Egyptian authorities did not all Virgin Voyage's Scarlet Lady to enter its waters. We had full approval and they denied us clear and scept the eleventh hour. The news comes after the Pone took to Instagram on July second to reveal the ship had been turned away from Turkey. She wrote, I am shocked. The Atlanti's cruise I am performing on next week has been banned from entering Turkey. A ship, a magnificent ship full of gay men and me denied entry to Turkey simply because of who is on board. YEA shocked, really I am furious, but I am sailing as the ship will make other ports of call. I'm ready to perform for all the wonderful men on this cruise who deserves so much better than this.
Speaker 3: They do.
Speaker 2: Y'all gonna make Patty put somebody in the aye.
Speaker 1: Right, Yeah, you just apparently didn't say why they did it.
Speaker 2: We know why. We do know why.
Speaker 1: That happened. Patty spoke up. It sucks. Set sail on July fifth, finished its voyage in Italy Wednesday, the fifteenth and epic all gay voyage from Athens to Venice to the Mediterranean's most iconic destinations. Yeah, twenty five hundred dudes. So it was what it was, is what it is. I mean, you know, I assume you put this year because what bullshit. But you know, Patty spoke up so exactly good. I imagine in this instance bet on a two wow long as the window trans people on board. At that part, oh oh, there was a picture of Queen Camille opposing happily with who none other than Queened her fucking jk Rawlling. Yeah, well that sucks.
Speaker 2: That truly sucks, but yet surprises no one because she's still a rich British white woman and that's ultimately all.
Speaker 1: They care about. Yeah, I mean, I have not much more to say. That's all, So spend your money. It's not a good look and yeah, that's just heaping it on, right.
Speaker 2: The British monarchy is, you know, so famous for making good and healthy decisions well regards other people.
Speaker 1: So you know, all right, let's wrap it up with this. The New York Times published a twelve hundred word argument for straight approval, and the gays aren't happy about it. That reads the headline on the last day of Pride Month, because you know, why should we not go out without a smack? The New York Times published an op ed that argues gay people need to whitewash their existence for the comfort of conservative Christians. Bitch, fuck you, thanks for the offer.
Speaker 3: We're going to have to.
Speaker 1: Decline, reads this article. On quity. The writer Matthew Vines declared that he's gay, not queer, and that it matters to whom he is, the author of the book called God and the Gay Christian the Biblical case in support of same sex relationship. He grew up in a regressive evangelical church, as if there's any other kind church in Wichita, Kansas. Now an adult, it is apparent he still harbors self shame and resentment like many conservative gay men, and they are almost always men. Vines blames eroding support for same sex marriage on the LGBTQ plus movements alleged excesses. In particular, he fixates on the word queer. He says gay and queer are not interchangeable, despite progressive activists, organizations and media outlets like this one used queer as an umbrella term, which is how I use it, and I love it exactly. The broader trend of casting is a quote of casting. The queer net even wider, has muddled a once clear public image about who gay people are. He says, being gay begins to look less like an inborn trait and more like a chosen ideology or aesthetic twelve hundred and sixty nine words. We can boil down his argument, Chill, if we stop calling ourselves queer, then homophobes will like us.
Speaker 2: Nope, I know they won't, and they won't like you either.
Speaker 1: Bit I am so tired of this.
Speaker 2: I bet the most brightly decorated areas of his house are the closet and the porch.
Speaker 1: Funny you mentioned the porch. Of course, Vines, who married his husband at a Baptist church in Texas, believes obviously the struggle for gay rights is over and he doesn't want to disrupt the status quoll.
Speaker 2: He's what we like to call on a similist game.
Speaker 1: Is that the word a similist assimilationist house faggot? How about that?
Speaker 2: How about house does that cover?
Speaker 1: House phaget does cover it distinctly? House faggot writes for The New York Times, and those motherfuckers published it because they're Yeah, that's where that's where we are, that's where we are, God help us all. Yeah, how about it?
Speaker 2: I did not much more to say about that.
Speaker 1: I mean, it's with such bullshit and drivel, and you know I, as far as I know, they have yet to, of course, post any kind of counterpoint, because you know, they don't want you to think there is one.
Speaker 2: The lily white gays are the problem there, I said it.
Speaker 1: Uh yeah, at least the ones with money for sure, although the ones without money.
Speaker 2: Are better mm hmm.
Speaker 1: It's not all of them, I mean, not all waight gay. We have plenty of wake gay friends, but they tend not to make the arguments they tend to say fuck you.
Speaker 2: In my head, Lily White Gaze was capitalized.
Speaker 1: Okay, yeah, so water is still wet. The New York Times is still a rag.
Speaker 2: Remember when it used to be the pinnacle of exemplary journalism? Yeah remember that?
Speaker 1: Sh Yeah, I do back before the same people that think women should not play sports at all and should get in the kitchen and make them a sandwich own our media, just saying there seems to be some Oh maybe it's a correlation. I I don't know. I don't want to rush to judgment here anyway. Yeah, let's take one more break, yes, please, and come back and pop the culture and cleanse those palates in this Pop the Culture episode, I am standing a little taller, I gotta say. After jelical ball, I'm telling you we'll be right back, and we're bad.
Speaker 2: We're back. Got the little extra, little extra, that's what they call me.
Speaker 1: Huh So Andrew Lloyd Webber. The headline reads, I'm reading out a playbill now. Andrew Lloyd Webber sounds alarm on Broadway's dire danger after a cat's agelical ball closing Notice, Yes, the composer is calling theater owners, unions and producers to find a fix for financial woes.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he said.
Speaker 1: The truth is that for any show, it makes practically no financial sense to come to Broadway With things as they are. This is the post he put on Instagram. Creators, writers and directors have been forced to take minimal royalties for new shows, often surviving on a fixed weekly fee rather than a royalty. It makes it impossible for young creatives to make a living from theater alone. He goes on to acknowledge that Broadway's long running war horses, used to include The Phantom of the Opera and notably the nineteen eighty two original production of Cats, are making money. While pointing out that Broadway cannot survive on the backs of a small handful of shows alone, he has a call to action. I know is still in love with Broadway as I was when I was a teenager. I begged the theater owners' unions and producers to come together urgently to address what is a crisis coming to a head. Broadway is in dire danger of rivaling Hollywood's empty sound stages with increasingly dark theaters. His remarks to in a rapidly increasing list of similar commentary for many in the industry, including several past statements from him himself, the current Cat's revival may stand as one of the starkest examples of what this group is talking about, succumbing to a short run after being well received and even being well sold.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because the house was full when we were.
Speaker 1: There, Yes it was. The production has yet to report attendance of less than eighty five percent at the Broadhurst Theater. Whatever the causes of the current financial movement, the new Broadway productions that seem to be most reliably finding success have overwhelmingly become almost exclusively a list star driven straight plays, with many musicals not able to survive long enough to find an audience at ticket prices that allow for profit. According to this.
Speaker 2: So the problem is not the shows but the system itself.
Speaker 1: Of this season's new musical productions Beaches, The Queen of Versailles and Chess have already closed. Could we have I like new ideas after struggling at the box office? And of this season's musical survivors Shmigadoon, TV, The Lost Boys A Movie, Titanique movie, Two Strangers Carry a Cake Across New York, What Ragtime? And the Rocky horror show. None have yet emerged as major box office.
Speaker 2: WHOA right, So from what I hear, with the exception of Titanic, not that well.
Speaker 1: And we keep regurgitating, you know, right, because I mean, if.
Speaker 2: We would start, if we would do original ideas again, or original reimagining of ideas instead of oh, look, we like this TV show, let's put a Broadway musical about it up on stage.
Speaker 1: That's part of this argument. And then I read Gregory King's thought piece when the Ball Ends Early what Broadway just told us about whose creativity gets to last? It's an excellent piece. Again, we will link to it. I mentioned it to Andre Deshields and sent him the article and he said, I'm posting this on my social media. Yes, Gregory hails from Broadway, right.
Speaker 2: Yeah he was. I forget if he was first or second cast of The Lion King, but he comes from Broadway. He's also a fabulous dancer and critic and writer and educator.
Speaker 1: So we are going to sit down with him tomorrow, yes, and talk about his writing. Because the official answer to why Kats's closing is a large cast. As Expensive Weekly grosses around nine hundred thousand to one million can't outrun the overhead, and sales reportedly softened after the show lost best Revival to Ragtime at the Tonys And yes, they got cheated. While the financial story is real, it's worth taking seriously on its own terms. But King posits there is a pattern. It fits. Inside Broadway has a long ugly history of black and brown creativity getting less institutional patients than mediocrity with better connections. Shows built around black talent have repeatedly had to hit numbers that whiter, safer productions were never required to hit to earn the same extensions, the same marketing budgets, the same runway to find an audience. When a show fuses that history with visibly queer and trans bodies on top of it, the question of who gets the benefit of the doubt becomes pattern recognition. That is what we're going to talk about with Gregory King. We will share the article with you so much more to come on this because it is an important conversation. Yeah, because this is an amazing, joyful, joy filled, groundbreaking reimagining of cats. Yeah, it is something totally new blew us away. I mean, you have wanted to see this since before went into production off Broadway.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the second I heard that this is a thing that was going to exist, I was.
Speaker 1: Like, oh my god, yes, yeah, truly, truly.
Speaker 2: And then I remember we're talking to Gregory about, you know, coming on the show. He brought up a strange loop and I was like, that's right. There was another show that I wanted to see and it won all of the awards, like literally all of them, and then closed a few weeks later.
Speaker 1: Right, yeah, I'm sorry what, I'm sorry? What? Yeah, And that has to be part of the whole conversation. And again, you know the met Live where they simulcast into a theater and charged like twenty five a ticket and you can, you know, see it up on the screen. They've figured out how to work that out. You know, the recordings of Hamilton, for instance, from back in twenty sixteen on Disney. Maybe it's pay per view, I don't know, there's some subscription service already. I think, you know where you can see recordings of Broadway shows right for.
Speaker 2: You know, yeah, we need to chisel away at the elitism of Broadway and give more access to more people, which will translate into more.
Speaker 1: Money, right because you know, I think if I saw this, you know, a recording of this show done well, I would still want to say it.
Speaker 2: I would still go see Hamilton.
Speaker 1: I would still go see Hamilton. But you know, of course I feel differently about that. I love it. It's brilliant. You know, it was an entirely I think news style of musical and the color blank casting was important. Jellico Ball hit me at my core because we're celebrating people. We don't celebrate it right. We're uplifting part of our culture, part of you know, black and Latine culture, that is queer culture, that is trans culture, and not much does that, and boy is it important now. And it does sicken me that we couldn't find the money right because we know, you know, they're not making less than what was the number we heard, eight hundred and eighty something thousand a week. You can't figure it out, thank you, how to let this go until January? Nobody can figure out how to do this right, and you know, and it's almost like they didn't want to right. And we've already seen in various articles, like there have been several injuries, there have been a lot of you know, like understudies coming in for replacement.
Speaker 2: We weren't able to see Laomi performed because she's still nursing her injuries. She's coming back the first week in August. She's unfortunately the last week of the.
Speaker 1: Show playing Macavity. Yeah, so she'll come back to close.
Speaker 2: And I don't see it as a reason.
Speaker 1: You know, I saw a back and forth about all of this that said, you know, other than Deuteronomy and maybe even that, an understudy is not going to send people away, you know, right, the understudy for Macavity was excellent. Yeah, you know. And the biggest star in the show, arguably is Andre Deshield, an important role that is not physically taxing. I mean it requires him being the diva of divas, which he can do almost in his sleep. Right, And you know you found that out when you didn't have a sharpie, the.
Speaker 2: Way that man looked at me like I firted on his best suit where I did not have a sharpie.
Speaker 1: I have one.
Speaker 2: Damn, you don't have a sharpie. I'm sorry, I'm so sorry.
Speaker 1: There are rules.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna go over here and cry myself.
Speaker 1: And the actors, as I thought, the actors that were leaving out the stage that had sharpers in their hands because they're not dumb either. But of course we're talking about andre Shield who was in his chesting room and but he happened to have a sharpia.
Speaker 2: I had a pen, which apparently is.
Speaker 3: Like, you know, like fuck, I know.
Speaker 1: So anyway, my point was, with a glance, Andreke Deshields can make you question your birth and the air you were consuming, and that is what that presence he definitely brings to old Deuteronomy. And you know, you've got you in your libasia. You have the recorded that the bit of the founding mothers of ball rooms which we cried through. You know, you've got these moments that just bring the whole thing.
Speaker 3: Around.
Speaker 1: So okay, you know, yeah, folks get injured. They're not used to the Broadway schedule, all of them. They're just not, you know, and and their bodies are not, so we may have some more injuries. Ballroom is not easy, No child, go ahead, and duck walk I can't.
Speaker 2: I cannot, I never could. I never had. The duck walk is my singular favorite element of Vogue. And it's also the one that I could never do because I never had the knees, which is why I love it so much.
Speaker 1: When other people do it, you were using them for other shut up.
Speaker 2: A fair.
Speaker 1: Yeah, like that is not a I'm sorry, that's not a point, right, That's not a reason to close the show. Because the quality of the show. I don't know how if there were under studies last night, I don't know how many there were. I don't care. It was excellent. It was excellent, and you know, give it room to breathe give it a chance.
Speaker 2: And where else can you find a talented young black or brown queer person who can vogue and sing in New York? Where where would you ever? It was gotta here?
Speaker 1: Yeah, Junior Labisia by the way, Oh dear god. And again the man really had to do with diva.
Speaker 2: And did only gave the gave him one song. Yes, the rest of the time he sat on the side and and caught the vibe. But you know how I know that because I couldn't take my eyes off of him. I was constantly up in the box, look at what's Junior doing?
Speaker 1: Noticing, yeah, responding with them. And I loved what they did kind of with the younger version, Oh my god, of him dancing in front of him. It's just incredible, Oh, just incredibly it's beautifully, beautifully done.
Speaker 2: It's a beautiful show.
Speaker 3: It really is. It really is.
Speaker 2: And I literally say that my opinion of Cats has completely changed. Welcome to the Cats the Jelica Ball Appreciation Podcast.
Speaker 1: Everyone right, but this doesn't give me love for the original.
Speaker 2: Well that's the thing. Cats went from being that horrible ass abomination that I made fun of for thirty years to like possibly my favorite show I've ever seen on Broadway.
Speaker 1: Okay, yeah, I hear you, how about it?
Speaker 2: And all you had to do was like, actually give it a context.
Speaker 1: And they didn't change the songs. No, they didn't change you know. What they changed was everything and nothing. You know, it's incredibly well done, and god damn it. So we're gonna do more about that and and and try to at least add this show to the conversation with the singular Gregory King and and I'll be sharing that episode with our new friend under his shield. Game of Thrones.
Speaker 2: Yes, you took it upon yourself. I went all the way through it to yeah, to dive into Game of Thrones, and you went through that whole thing faster than I did.
Speaker 1: I did. I wasn't have a problem.
Speaker 2: I was impressed I was surprised that you like stuck with it as long.
Speaker 3: As you do.
Speaker 1: Television watching should really not be impressive.
Speaker 2: Well, no, it's just like because when I was telling you about it, when I.
Speaker 1: Was watching straight up Avoidance.
Speaker 2: I waited until like last year or you werefore to start watching the whole thing again because I just couldn't get into it when the first run, and you were like, this sounds like white nonsense, and I was like, well it did. It kinda is, but it's so good, and and you got through the whole thing.
Speaker 1: I did. In fact, I'm caught up with the House of the Dragon.
Speaker 2: Which I never even got into because I was like, I've just spent all that time and energy dealing with these people. I don't want to go back in that world again.
Speaker 1: It is a prequel.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you do, right with reckon. I did, and you're enjoying that I did. I did enjoy watching you watch Game of Thrones for the first time, like it like seeing you like go through what I went through, especially like things like the Red Wedding and just the betrayal of it all. And yeah, that was that was cool, right.
Speaker 1: See what happened before television your God and some of this we could use again. So yeah. And then but House of the Dragon, you know, it's had some moments truly that I have.
Speaker 2: Enjoyed, and I love that you're watching it and I'm not.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there was a particular dinner that was just wonderful. Oh my, you'll know when you get to it. Okay, yeah, she served more than dinner.
Speaker 2: Oh oh oh, look at you.
Speaker 1: Oh So anyway, the Vampireless Stat we're watching in real time.
Speaker 2: Yes, lo, they are actually a couple episodes behind.
Speaker 1: I think the fifteen minute fade of course, came out of huh that program.
Speaker 2: Yes, I like the Vampireless Stat and I am looking forward to seeing. Well, I don't know what they're they did the last couple of episodes, because well there's one tonight and then one last night. We missed last week rather and I like where it's going, and it's been, for the most part, very faithful to the original source material. The changes that they made have made sense. And knowing what I know because I've read all of the Vampire Chronicles except for the newest, newest book, which was the one that Anne wrote right before she died, The Princeless Stat, I still haven't gotten.
Speaker 1: To that, still living in my library.
Speaker 2: But I've read everything else up through I'm knock the Devil and some of the side quests like the vampire armand and all that, and the drama, and.
Speaker 1: They're paying attention to the drama.
Speaker 2: So I'm excited to see how far this show's going to fucking go, because they go pretty far. Okay, okay, are you also enjoying the Vampire less?
Speaker 1: Yeah, not as much as you are, but I am, yeah, fair, fair, And again I didn't I never read Anne Rice to begin with.
Speaker 2: Yes, she she loved the drama clearly, Yes, so does her son truth, Hey what it was?
Speaker 1: Bee? Now, this one is a surprise all the way around that we're even talking about it, right, and that I watched any of it?
Speaker 2: I know, because you do not like horror. I do not like horror, and yet you were all about this goddamn show.
Speaker 1: Well, Kathy got excited about Widow's Bay and even more strange, and it's like it was almost like for a couple of weeks she couldn't anything she texted me included and Widow's Bay, Oh my god. And I'm like, oh right, how good can it be?
Speaker 10: Right?
Speaker 2: And we're watching it and I'm peeping the flavor and I'm like, wait, Kathy likes this.
Speaker 1: I know it really is not my genre.
Speaker 2: Was some of it I could.
Speaker 1: Have done with al but overall, yeah, the twists and turns it took by the end of the season, right, well done, well crafted.
Speaker 2: I mean it's something that I would have watched anyway.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, you get invested in the character development. It's worth watching. Yeah, and that's from someone who does And again, you know, I say her is not. It's not my favorite genre. It never will be. That said. I mean American horror story up until Hotel, which I've I stopped because things were coming out of the wall. But I really enjoyed, you know, Covin and what was it, Carnival and yeah, all done.
Speaker 2: I wasn't crazy about Carnival, but you liked it.
Speaker 1: I did.
Speaker 2: Covin is still my favorite, and the new season is we're visiting that story line.
Speaker 1: I mean, good storytelling is good storytelling. It was, you know, I did enjoy that. So that was a step into a genre that not my favorite, but well crafted. And I would say the same thing about Widows Bay. It is well crafted. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Apple TV series and Apple TV series tend to be of pretty high quality.
Speaker 1: I also love that Kay Callen is still acting at ninety years old in it, right, you know that was cool. Pivotal character. I want to smack the shoot out of the main character. So yeah, he's doing it well, right, Yeah, really good cast. And that's that's usually a sign of maybe I want to watch it. With the entire exception of Cloverfield.
Speaker 2: Lane, Oh, you were never going to forgive me. I'm not making you watch ten Cloverfield making you watch.
Speaker 1: Nope, you did? You really did? You were like this one. You'll know.
Speaker 2: I thought you would.
Speaker 1: No, it still did the thing I hate, so no, sorry, but but and and as I said, there are things I think we could have done without in Widow's Bay and still told the story overall. I made it all the way to the end. And I don't want to see what happens next season, so I mean, hey, right, yeah, oh that's why there is nonna be other season.
Speaker 2: There is better right, Yeah, they did kind of leave it on Cliffanger in there.
Speaker 3: Uh huh.
Speaker 1: So what else I got?
Speaker 2: Obligatory Drag Race All Stars Commandary Coming?
Speaker 1: Is that is that still on? Yes?
Speaker 2: I well, I will say the most recent regular season season eighteen. I don't care, I probably won't watch it, but this was we just finished All Stars eleven. At this point, we mean, yes, at this point, everyone should know Crystal Method has been crowned the new winner of All Stars eleven, as we all knew, and the fandom is doing what the fandom does, be ridiculous, Like their whole thing is like, ugh, the production is pushing her to win. Oh, it's all rigged, and you know, they are making a television show, first of all, and they have been for a very long time. It's funny, y'all.
Speaker 3: Just no catching me.
Speaker 2: And also when they try to say that, you know it's rigged for X y Z to win, they still have to do well, So yeah, what are we even saying anyway, So there's that. I wanted to comment briefly on the beef between Soaking Up Meganash and a curious Chanel Davenport. While they were on the show, they talked about having some beef and not fucking with each other and d D da da, Everyone's like, what's going on, what's going on? And then off the show there was this whole like thing with the two of them telling their separate stories and like something something they lived together, something something, then they weren't something something. This one has my things but won't give them back, and I'm taking her to court and da da da da da. And then Akiria did this very very long live where she explained all her side of the story and it involved a lot of shuffling of papers and I sat there and watched most of it, and I feel like I don't know any more than I did before. So yeah, there's that I was invested in that way longer than I should have been, and I don't feel like I got any more information than I had.
Speaker 1: So yeah, hmm, okay, still don't care. He no, you know, I still don't care, although I was kind of interested that, you know, Willem feels some kind of way because Bob's the drag queen doesn't want to fuck him that right, and maybe Bob just likes a little mystery. I don't know, you know.
Speaker 2: Yeah. This also, William was on Bob's podcast, The Only Child I think it's called, and apparently they matched on Grinder because Willem had a pick with no face and Bob was like ooh. And then come to final with William was like oh and then William was like, well, I'm right here, we can do this, and I was like, that's so fun. And part of me thinks that Bob doesn't want to do it because you know, as the saying go, sister, dick will make you sick? Is that a saying that amongst the girls? It is?
Speaker 1: Huh? Okay, I did not know that that was the thing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but not always uh employed by all.
Speaker 1: The girls and Bob included, right, so okay, whatever.
Speaker 2: But thank you, uh huh. But Willem was trying like we could be a power couple, like a real power couple. Think about it for a second. It's like a mean dick watched this and then proceeded to filate the microphone and I didn't even leave lipstick, So check it out, professional bitch.
Speaker 1: And that may be the problem. You know, I want a boutique experience, not a busy airport.
Speaker 2: Who knows couldture not streetwear?
Speaker 1: Okay?
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, as it were right, I love.
Speaker 1: Nordstrom's not well never mind, No, Willem is funny and fabe, but that was just funny. That was funny. When you told me about that, I was like, okay.
Speaker 2: Wells and still in her feelings.
Speaker 1: That's funny. The final note here says, I think we should see the Odyssey.
Speaker 2: I do. I think we should see the new film.
Speaker 1: That was something you wanted to talk about, not just I think we should. Yeah, Okay, we should. Okay, what is it?
Speaker 2: It is Christopher Nolan's take on the epic Homer's Odyssey, the Mythological Like I know what. Oh, you're looking at me, like the fuck are you talking about?
Speaker 1: Because didn't you mention Elliott Page?
Speaker 2: Yeah, Elliott Page is in it?
Speaker 1: Okay? And for some reason when you said this, I was thinking Elliott Page's film about the gay animals, which I do want to see actually right now, you know, well the sexual spectrum or whatever within the animal, you know, right right right now, Elliott Page is in the Odyssey, and.
Speaker 2: I think playing Achilles. I'm not sure I've heard not playing Achilles, playing Achilles.
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 2: I haven't seen it, but I want to just because Elliott Page, okay, and also because Lupita Nyongo is playing Helen of Troy.
Speaker 1: Interesting and the.
Speaker 2: Racists be cracking was the same way people are mad, yes, trying to say that Helen of Troy is supposed to be the most beautiful in the world. You're trying to tell me, Lapita and Youngo's the most beautiful, yes, bitch, yes, yes.
Speaker 1: I am yes. Yeah, she's shooting right up there.
Speaker 2: Yes, because I remember when she was doing the red carpets, back way back when she was introduced to us with twelve years of slave and every red carpet she wore a different color of the rainbow spectrum, and all that showed to me was she was like the perfect canvas for fabulousness, because there was not a single moment where she did not look impeccable. Impeccable, and she's sweet and she's smart, and it's like what, Yes.
Speaker 1: The people making these comments.
Speaker 2: Yes, and they always pick think and they think it's the most beautiful white bitch yep. They always pick the same AI generated photo of her. It's I think, or it might be a screen stole. I'm not sure, but like she's like in the middle of yelling or crying or screaming or something, and they're trying to say, oh, you think this is the face that launch a thousand ships? Fuck you, And I bet you in contact she is acting her fucking ass off.
Speaker 1: Probably so probably, and to have such a little mind, you know, good God.
Speaker 2: And then it always like, well, it's not historically accurate.
Speaker 1: So wait what, how do you know the.
Speaker 6: Mythological character, not person, character who wasn't even human in the first place.
Speaker 2: Yes, she was like the daughter of a god or some ship.
Speaker 1: I thought this was a historical wow, the person. No, I don't know this.
Speaker 2: The whole thing is is mythology, the whole then fuck.
Speaker 1: All, y'all exactly come on now, yeah, well I remember them talking historical actor about Ariel exact, thank you, that part the fish, that part, the right part.
Speaker 2: Wait what yeah, so you know what, just just be racist, transphobic about Elliott.
Speaker 1: And actually you don't even have to because your government is saying it for.
Speaker 2: You, right, like they're trying to act like Elliott Page uh is like a little weakling or some shit. Have you seen that boy after he got jacked for this movie? Shit, I bet you can kick the ass of everybody talking shit.
Speaker 1: Probably, but that was probably true anyway, right, yeah, many years ago.
Speaker 2: Oh lord, but yeah, that's it. I think we should I'm weary, take one of our rare jaunts to the movie theater and go see the honysty.
Speaker 1: Okay, we'll keep that on the agenda.
Speaker 2: Yes, Oh, and I wanted to talk about not on the list, but I want to talk about They Will Kill You. I still think you might.
Speaker 1: I think we did talk about that, did we?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 1: I just don't. Yeah, don't get in a boat with them. Oh this is something else.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm gonna fight you on this podcast. No. The movie They Will Kill You, Zazie Beats is like the baddest bitch every I It was twenty one minutes into that twenty one minutes in eighteen seconds.
Speaker 1: I do believe into that movie.
Speaker 2: I checked the timestamp and I was like, this might be my favorite film of twenty twenty six.
Speaker 1: It's amazing. And this is streaming.
Speaker 2: Yes it's on HBO. Okay, I fucking love this movie and can't wait to watch it again with you, because we just watched Kill Bill the whole bloody affair. Yes, where they it was like the version that Quenton originally wanted, the four hour movie.
Speaker 1: Yes, it was, and I think.
Speaker 11: True so much, knowing what we know now going back and watching his older films, You're like, Ew, this is.
Speaker 1: Quentin Tarantina or Doctor Schulz.
Speaker 2: Uh, huh. I'm surprised he's not a sponsor. I never but but yeah, I want you to watch They Will Kill You because I want it. I want your your take.
Speaker 1: Okay, Yeah, it's good genre.
Speaker 2: I would say it is a dark action comedy. Okay. There are elements of it that people try to say it's horror, but I the very.
Speaker 1: Very time you told me something one in horror.
Speaker 2: The very very end. There's an encounter where she fights Satan, okay, and it's it's weird and a little creepy.
Speaker 1: Okay, but I don't know. This is the concept of Satan.
Speaker 2: Right, so, but I don't know if I would say it counts as horror. Oh, spoiler alert, there's a part of the end where she Satan.
Speaker 1: Okay, all right, streaming on HBO.
Speaker 2: It's very very very very bloody. But then again, so it is kill bill.
Speaker 1: Yeah that's not the thing that.
Speaker 2: Right, Yeah, yeah, amazingly enough, gore doesn't bother you, No, not really. It's it's it bothers me more than it bothers you, and that cracks me up.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's a it's a whole thing. It's a whole it's a whole you know, childhood bullshit. I get it terrorized and tormented enough kind of thing that just I'm like, this is not entertaining. I don't want this. I don't want a roller coaster like that. Adrenaline isn't fun for me, not really fair. I'd be under certain context, but you know, I get it under certain circumstances. Fine, but yeah, so yeah, no, no.
Speaker 2: That's my recommendations for the week.
Speaker 1: Okay, well we may make some time to do that. Yes, we'll talk to gregor King tomorrow. We are floating from a magical, magical evening with our beloved Elizabeth Coffee Williams. Anything else on your spirit? I think we've covered most of it.
Speaker 2: I guess we should do a little podcast business.
Speaker 1: Let's do that.
Speaker 2: If you haven't already, why don't you swing on by Apple Podcasts, good pods, YouTube, or wherever you enjoy our show and leave us a review or a rating or hit that subscribe button five stars and more. Please follow us on social at Full Circle the Pod on Instagram, threads and Blue Sky, and Full Circle the Podcast on TikTok. You can follow Martha at I Martha Madrigal everywhere. Her writing can be found at I Ammarthamadrigal dot WordPress dot com. I am at never screed everywhere. If you have a story, idea, or some gossip, or just want to say hi and tell us we're doing a great job, drop us a line at ask Full Circlepod at gmail dot com. We'd love to hear from you. Explore our new web store and get your own piece of Full Circle the Podcast merchandise. Just go to our website, Full Circle theepod dot com and click shop our merch There's bound to be something to suit your style. Join our Patreon, Patreon dot com slash Full Circle the Pod starting at just a three dollars a month tire. You get access to all of our episodes add free and before everyone else, and it only gets better from there. It's fun. Over at the Patreon, you can also check out our Discord channel Full Circle the Podcast Podcast business over.
Speaker 1: Alrighty, alrighty, yeah, So you're gonna get this out. It's already half edited. Right, this has been something.
Speaker 2: This week has been the longest day ever.
Speaker 1: Right, I can't wait to re listen to it. Right, that should be fun And we continue with the conversation and so much love to the entire cast. Of cats. Yes, the Agelical Ball. If you have any chance at all, please go say it. You will not be disappointed.
Speaker 2: I thought it was kind.
Speaker 3: It was.
Speaker 2: It was.
Speaker 1: Until next time. You've been listening to Full Circle the podcast. I am Martha Madrigal.
Speaker 2: And I am Charles Tyson Jr.
Speaker 1: Thank you so much for listening. Until next time, Bye everyone.
Speaker 2: Full Circle is a Never Skurred Productions podcast hosted by Charles Tyson Junior and Martha Madrigal, Produced and edited by Never Scurred Executive Produced by Charles Tyson Junior and Martha Madridal. Our theme in music is by the jingle Berries. All names, pictures, music, audio, and video clips are registered trademarks and or copyrights of their respective copyright holders