Speaker 1: You're listening to KFI AM six forty wake Up Call with Me Amy King on demand on the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 2: KFI hand KOST HD two, Los Angeles, Orange County. Hey, it's time for your morning wake up call. Here's Amy King.
Speaker 3: It is five o'clock, straight up.
Speaker 1: This is your wake up call for Monday, August twenty six. Good morning, I'm Amy King. God you're starting your day and you're week with us. We're everywhere on the iHeartRadio app. You know, if you ever miss any of wake Up Call, you can always go to the iHeartRadio app and listen to the whole show any day, anytime.
Speaker 3: Today's National Dog Day.
Speaker 2: Good boy.
Speaker 1: I'm sad because I don't have a dog anymore. But I had the best dog, Samson, the Protector.
Speaker 3: He was the best. Now I have cats.
Speaker 1: But for all of you who have dogs, not that you don't love them up all the time anyway, but maybe an extra treat today would be great.
Speaker 3: Here's what's ahead on wake Up Call.
Speaker 1: Police have recovered a stolen car with a six month old baby inside in Winnett cut The car was stolen yesterday afternoon, then found less than a mile away with the child still inside. The child was taken to the hospital, though it's not clear why. This is the third time a car's been stolen with a kid inside in the San Fernando Valley.
Speaker 3: In the last week, a.
Speaker 1: Round of ceasefire talks in Cairo has ended without an agreement. Official satoks are going to continue at lower levels in the coming days in an effort to bridge remaining gaps to try to stop ten months of fighting and get those hostages released. We'll get the latest from Jerusalem with ABC's Geordana Miller in just a couple of minutes. A lot of kids heading to college hit a little hiccup over the weekend. Ten SAT testing locations at the last minute canceled the tests that were scheduled for Saturday. They included testing stills in San Clemente, Big Bear City, and Mammoth Lakes. Also coming up on Wakeup Call, a new bill is making its way through the state legislature that would make some changes, hopefully help with overcrowding and animal shelters all over the state.
Speaker 3: We're going to talk to the bill's sponsor.
Speaker 1: What's up with our astronauts they're stuck in space. We're going to be talking with ABC Jim Ryan. Apparently there is a new plan to bring them home. And speaking of space, if you're a Star Trek fan, you're not going to want to miss this. Steve Gregory tells us about a super sixtieth celebration of Star Trek, and we'll hear from Leonard Nimoy's son about life Wispock. At six oh five, it's handle on the news. Kind of chaotic at Sea TAC A suspected cyber attack over the weekend has left thousands of travelers stuck on the ground. Let's get started with some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. A ceremony is being held in Norco to honor the thirteen service members killed in a suicide bombing at the airport in Kabble, Afghanistan. A candlelight remembrance is being held at seven thirty tonight at the city's Fallen thirteen Memorial Flower Garden. Twenty year old Kareem Nikoui from Norco was one of eleven Marines killed in the attack in twenty twenty one. Two other Marines were also from Southern California, Hunter Lopez from Indio and Dylan Morola from Rancho Cucamonga. A brushfire that's burned about one hundred acres near Lake Elsinore is about twenty five percent surrounded. The fire on Danaha tro truck Trail was reported yesterday afternoon. El Cisa Village was under an evacuation order and Ortega Highway was closed in both directions. It was later reopened and the evacuation orders were also lifted. Cleveland National Forest officials say Cruz stopped the fire from spreading by six thirty last night. Former President Trump and Vice President Harris have a heavy week of campaigning ahead. ABC's Allison Kosik says the VP candidates will also be making several stops.
Speaker 4: Parris and running mate Tim Walsh will take a bus tour across Georgia while former President Trump heads to Michigan, Wisconsin, and Pennsylvania.
Speaker 1: She says Trump's running mate JD. Vance will be in Michigan to explain his support for Trump's proposed terrorists on some imported goods. A landslide along the southeastern coast of Alaska has killed one person and injured three others. The slide yesterday led to a mandatory evacuation order in the city of Ketchikan, almost three hundred miles south of Juneau. The city of Ketchikan and Alaska Governor Mike Dunlevy have issued emergency declarations.
Speaker 3: It's always scary.
Speaker 1: Right now, let's say good morning to ABC's Jordana Miller in Jerusalem. So, Jordana, a couple of big developments over the weekend. Israel launched hundreds of rockets into Lebanon and the ceasefire talks ended with no progress.
Speaker 5: That's right.
Speaker 6: Well, in the early hours of Sunday, Israel carried out a massive preemptive strike against Husbala targets, taking out they say six thousand rockets, most of those aimed at Israel's north, though they said there were some aimed towards central Israel. And this was the Israeli Army said they saw indications that Hasbela was about to mount a major strike and that's why they hit first. Hasbaala still managed to fire about three hundred rockets and about two dozen drones towards Israel, and most of those were either shot down or hit open fields. Thankfully, no civilian casualties on the Israeli side. There was one soldier who died from a shrapnel from an interceptor one of the rockets that took down one of the Hsbala rockets. A shrapnel killed him on his naval boat off Israel's northern coast. And on the other side, really, army has Bollah fighters.
Speaker 1: You dropped out for a second, Jordana on the other side, what they a few.
Speaker 6: Of the other side, Yeah, yeah, six has Bolla fighters died on the other side that was on the in the early hours of Sunday. Miraculously, by the afternoon, both Israel and Juballa had kind of pulled back from the edge of a wider or larger full conflict war, and by the afternoon the Israeli delegation to the Gaza ceasefire talks had already landed in Cairo, but they came back late last night without being able to report much progress. Still gaps between the sides on the sticking issue of of the Israeli military presence in certain areas of the Gaza strip. Hamas wants the Israeli army to fully withdraw in Phase one by the end of six weeks, and the Israeli side wants to stay there for at least through Phase two, possibly to phase three, But we do understand that the negotiations are continuing and that the Israeli delegation will head back out this week for another round of talks.
Speaker 1: Okay, that's that's good because I had heard that they yeah, you know, over the weekend they go, oh, they didn't come in with an agreement and the talks are done.
Speaker 3: So I'm happy, no happy to hear that.
Speaker 1: And is it going to be like with high level people or is it going to be with lower level people and then the high level people get involved later or how does that work?
Speaker 3: Or do we know?
Speaker 5: Right?
Speaker 6: So, the low level delegation is there now from the Americans, the Egyptians, and the Katari sides. But later in the week ahead of the massade, David Barneto has been leading the negotiations for Israel is expected to return. He was there on Sunday and came back late last night. So they're you know, Israel is investing considerable time and you know, considers these talks very serious. We know there's a lot of pressure from the United States to really push through and get a deal. But you know, I feel like a broken record. We say this, you know every week. It's really going to come down to the Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Attaniel and the leader of come As jahasinoir those two men have to decide that they're ready to make some tough compromises and get a deal, you know, to get for Israelis, it'll be to get whoever's alive out of out of the guys strip. There's over a hundred hostages still there, you know, in the best case scenario, seventy or alive, but it's probably more. The estimate is really around fifty and Jordana.
Speaker 1: Iram's been pretty quiet. They vow that they are going to do some sort of retaliation in response to the killing of that was it. A helm Os leader in Tehran ares from them.
Speaker 6: Well, we heard from their foreign minister today say that Iran is still going to respond decisively, you know, in its you know, and that they don't care about, you know, an escalation. If that comes afterwards, it comes after. But I think this is a lot of bluster from the Iranian official. I think the United States has really been able to deter a direct strike on Iran for weeks, and that's because you know, there are airstrike carriers here. You know, there's the USS Georgia. That's an attack submarine that's here, and the Iranians are taking seriously the United States messages that they will not support, you know, that they will help defend Israel whatever that takes if Iran carries out an attack. Remember, the United States and much of the world does not believe that Iran has a any kind of real justification for a direct strike on Israel. The leader killed in Tehran was a Hamas official. He was killed with an explosion that was planted. There wasn't a missile strike, and so you know, the message to Iran has has been, you know, attack, but it doesn't warrant a major assault on Israel.
Speaker 1: Okay, well, we will continue to watch on all fronts. Thank you so much, Jordan and Miller. I appreciate it as always.
Speaker 3: Thank you.
Speaker 1: All right, let's get back to some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. The LAPD is trying to find the person who shot and killed a doctor outside a clinic in Woodland Hills. The doctor worked at Warner Plaza Medical Center at Tapega Canyon Boulevard and Oxnard Street. Police say he was walking to his car on Friday night when someone walked up and shot him several times. Witnesses reported here in gunshots and saw a body on the ground in the parking lot. Hundreds of deputy das in Sacramento County are set to go on strike over pay. Homicide and cold case prosecutor Terry and Grimes says they want a five and a half percent raise. We are experiencing a lack of experienced attorneys for serious cases in our unit because everyone is leaving for better paying jobs. The county says salaries are well above market averages. The lawyers are going on strike today, but say they will show up for trials that are already in progress. Armed men have killed at least thirty one people in two separate attacks in southwestern Pakistan. Police say in one case, twenty three people were fatally shot after being identified and taken from buses, vehicles, and trucks. At least ten vehicles were set on fire. Officials say insurgents also blew up a railway track in another area, attacked a police station, and attacked and burned vehicles. Doctor Anthony Fauci, who became well known during the COVID nineteen pandemic, has spent some time in the hospital. He's being treated for West Nile virus. He was released over the weekend. A spokesperson says Fauci is expected to make a full recovery. Researchers that you see irvine have discovered an evergreen plant from the mint family that could cool cocaine cravings.
Speaker 7: You see I.
Speaker 8: Researchers found that a compound in rosemary extract can reduce cocaine sensitivity and the desire to take the powdery so called nose candy, and may provide a new avenue for treating addiction. Signists say that compound called carconic acid can affect a section of the brain called globis palladist externess, which controls how the brain responds to coca Researchers say that could provide an avenue to reduce the response to Bolivian marching powder, snowboarding, disco dust, or let's just call it cocaine. In Orange County, Corbin carcin kaf I News.
Speaker 1: I think Corbin gets kudos for being able to pronounce everything like that. Evacuation orders have been lifted in Lake Elsinore, where a brushfires burned about one hundred acres. The fire started just before noon yesterday, closing the Ortega Highway in both directions. The fire's forward progress has been stopped and it's a twenty five percent surrounded. Police are investigating to find out if a couple of shootings in Carson are connected. Lli Keunty Sheriff's deputies responded to the shootings late Saturday night and found two men shot blocks apart from each other on two hundred thirty fourth Street. The Sheriff's Homicide Bureau is asking anyone who knows anything about one or both shootings to give him a call. Free COVID tests are coming back, the Biden administration says at the end of September, people are going to be able to order up to four tests by mail. The tests detect newer COVID variants and will be effective through the end of the year. They're going to be available at COVID tests dot gov. At six oh five, it's handle on the news. Smash and grab robbers are saying, oh, thank Heaven for seven to eleven. Right now, let's say good morning to ABC's Jim Ryan. So, Jim Sonny Williams, and Butch Wilmore are kind of like on an episode of Gilligan's Island. Yeah, come, supposed to be a three hour tour, actually a one week tour, right, and it's months later.
Speaker 5: The eight days. Now they've been up there for five almost five months, and they'll be there for at least three more months. The expectation is that they won't be coming home until February at the very earliest. The problem is that the space ship they went up there in, the Boeing star Liner, has some mechanical issues. It has some problems with its thrusters, those rockets. In fact, they realized those were going to be a problem even before they got to the ISS, butch Wilmore had to take over and pilot this thing to its rendezvous with the International Space Station. So the NASA has decided it's just too risky because coming back is more dangerous than actually getting there. You know, you've got to make it through the lays of space and try not to burn up as you're plummeting down towards the Earth. The concern is that the thruster issue might make that a greater possibility. So these two Bush Willmore Sonny Williams are going to stay up there on the iss, and they won't be a Boeing star Liner that comes back to get them. It will be a SpaceX crew Dragon. So the competition in the space industry heats up between Boeing and SpaceX.
Speaker 1: I would think that SpaceX is very happy and Boeing not so much.
Speaker 5: I think you're right. Boeing has all sorts of problems. They have for several years. The aerospace division falls under the defense division there at Boeing. The commercial airliners that you and I fly in a under the commercial division. But of course the commercial division has had problems with the door plug flying off that Alaska Airline's flight with the Max eight that had all sorts of problems, And so yeah, Boeing is having some real issues right now in the last couple of years.
Speaker 1: Okay, So now in determining that it's too dangerous to bring the star Liner back with the astronauts on board, have the astronauts been doing tests on the star Liner or are they just doing diagnostic tests from the ground on the Starliner or do we know?
Speaker 5: Well, yeah, the Starliner has been looking at it from the ground and NASA have both been jointly doing that. There's not much that the astronauts can do with this. At this point, they just turn it back over to NASA, and NASA will bring the thing back autonomously. It'll fly back on its own and presumably make a nice you know, splash down and be recovered and all the rest in In the meantime, will Moore and Sunny Williams are not stuck. NASA refuses to say that they're stranded or that they're stuck, because they're not. You know, they're they're up there working, They're doing their jobs as astronauts and doing experiments, are doing whatever else they need to do, along with seven other astronauts, well, one cosmonaut and several other astronauts mainly Americans, but run one Russian and some other folks. So it's like an office where you float around the room. But it is an office.
Speaker 1: Okay, So there's a there's nine of them total up there.
Speaker 3: Yes, it's like a heck of a party.
Speaker 1: And then they're supposed to hitch a ride home on the SpaceX capsule.
Speaker 5: It's not though, right correct.
Speaker 1: Okay, So another mission's going up and then they'll.
Speaker 5: Bring which Wilmore and Sunny Williams.
Speaker 1: Sonny and Butch home along and I think two others are coming home with them.
Speaker 5: I think the two who are going up are going to come back with them.
Speaker 3: Oh, they're just doing a quick, quick little fly.
Speaker 5: Yeah, head up there, drive up and get them, pick them up, hop in, and then drive away.
Speaker 1: Okay, and before before they get there, does the Starliner have to come home or do they have multiple ports or docks?
Speaker 5: There are different docking ports on the thing, but on the space station, but the Starliner will be coming home before that, okay, So I guess it just clears away of space so that the you and these things are specially designed to link into a specific spot on the International Space Station. The sore Use has on one area, Europeans have another, US has one part of the space station to dock to. So whether it's technically possible in any of those others isn't clear, but certainly this one would fit. The Space Act will fit into that docking port.
Speaker 3: Okay.
Speaker 1: Well, we have a space astronauts, Colonel Nick Kaig we've been talking to leading up to what was supposed to be his mission that was supposed to be taking off right about now, and of course that's been delayed, so it's going to be interesting to hear. We're trying to set up another interview with him to find out how he's going to be affected. Ull Is he going to be one of the guys who goes up and picks them up, because he was supposed to be up on the space station for six months, So we'll see how that all shakes out. Is there any concern for morale as they're staying in space for months rather than days? Or is it kind of like a kid in a candy store gets to stay in the candy store.
Speaker 5: That's what I was thinking, you know, and you get to stay up there longer, not you know, it's not that you have to stay up there longer. And then you know they're committed to this, and they've dedicated their lives to this. These aren't kids, butch wil Nore and Sonning Williams were both around sixty late fifties, you know, pushing sixty years old. They've been doing this forever. They're veterans, and they have been trained and tested and you know, analyzed for their ability to stay and do things in space as far as supplies. This was last week. I got to interview Matt Dominic, who is an astronaut right now aboard the ISS from space, which was a real cool experience. And I asked him about that, what about you know, you got two hangars on or two interlopers there on the International Space Station using up your food, eating your Pillsbury space food snacks and your you know, astronaut ice cream or whatever you guys eat, and breathing your air, drinking your water. Is there a chance that's going to run? And he's sort of paused, and he's like, that's the dumbest question I've ever heard. I've done. Okay, he said, you know, there are constant resupply shuttles that are going up to the International Space Station on staffed you know, no crew. They just send them up and they've got these big bags these what did he call them. There's a specific name for these bags of food, big big containers like a big you know, shopping and it's filled with the different supplies, including water and food and all the rest of it. And so there's no danger that they're going to run out of stuff because they'll just send up more.
Speaker 3: Good good to hear, good to Yeah. I just hope they packed some extra clothes.
Speaker 5: For sure, and that they I guess I don't know if they do launder. I guess they don't, but yeah, I could be cross.
Speaker 3: Does it smell in space?
Speaker 5: I wonder I've heard that it does, Okay, like almonds or something.
Speaker 1: Okay, I'm going to have to ask Colonel Hag about that. Jim Ryan, thank you so much. Good to hear that they have a plan to bring those guys home. Sure, all right, touch to you soon.
Speaker 5: See.
Speaker 1: A multi agency task force put together by the Laguna Beach Police Department has led its third operation of the year. The task force has focused on speed violations, e bikes, loud exhaust and modified vehicle emissions systems. The operation this past weekend led to more than one hundred and forty vehicle citations. One person was taken into custody for unspecified demeanor violations. A man accused of going on a stabbing spree in Germany killing three people, has been ordered held on suspicion of murder and membership in a terrorist organization. The knife attack happened late Friday at a city festival. ABC's Ines de la Katerra says a Syrian man claiming to be the attacker turned himself in over the weekend.
Speaker 9: The attack is being investigated as terror related. Of course, after ISIS claimed responsibility for the attack, they said on their news site that the goal here had been to avenge Muslims in Palestine and everywhere.
Speaker 1: Prosecutors say the Syrian man was motivated by ISIS ideology. A fifteen year old has also been arrested for allegedly knowing about the attack before it happened and not reporting it. This is my favorite news of the day. AFC Richmond may not have played its last match on Apple TV Plus after all. The Hollywood Reporter and others are saying that Warner Brothers has picked up options on the actors who play Rebecca Welton, Roy Kent I'm Roy Kent, and Leslie Higgins. Well, season four hasn't been announced. Reports are that Warner Brothers is reaching out to other stars of the show. Jason Sideikis aka Ted Lasso is apparently already on board as the executive producer. Production, if it happens, would start in early twenty twenty five. Okay, really important news. Now, Remember on Friday we were talking about the first pizza vending machine in Sacramento. You put a pizza, you know, put your money in and you order your pizza and then it goes through a conduction or something like that, cooks it really fast, spits it out. Is it a good idea or not? We left it up to you on Instagram. The results are in forty seven percent said absolutely, I would try that. Fifty three percent said mama MEA no way. So I think it's close enough that we got to find ourselves a pizza vending machine, and we actually may have located one. So Lynn is at Glendale Community College, she's a professor there, and she said they have a pizza ending machine. So I think we're going to head out and check it out and then we'll give you the results on whether whether.
Speaker 3: It's tasty or not. Ooh, Kono's ears perked up.
Speaker 1: My authorities are investigating a series of suspicious grass fires along the ten Freeway in the West Adams area. Fire crews quickly put them out before noon yesterday. Arson investigators were sent to the scene. Police in Redondo Beach are warning visitors to watch out for fake QR codes at parking meters. They're not used, but someone who has been putting stickers on city parking meters and directing people to pay that way. Pollye say the two companies used for parking payment in Redondo Beach use apps for payment, not QR codes.
Speaker 3: The jersey Babe Ruth.
Speaker 1: War when he called his shot during the nineteen thirty two World Series hitting a home run to centerfield has sold at auction four over twenty four million dollars. Heritage Auxygens Auctions says the jersey sold yesterday after a bidding war in Dallas that lasted over six hours. Heritage says the buyer wishes to remain anonymous. SXO five it's handle. On the news, Former President Trump has floated the idea of skipping the September tenth debate on ABC with Vice President Harris.
Speaker 3: Bill's going to tell you why at I.
Speaker 1: Point fifty, a new way to fight shelter overcrowding is making its way through the California legislature. We'll be talking with the sponsor of the bill, Santa Clarita State Senator Scott Wilke. Kfi's Steve Gregory is headed out of this world to a theater in Beverly Hills that's about to become the center of the universe for all things star Trek.
Speaker 10: Space, the final from Team Over the Labor Day weekend, the Fine Arts Theater will celebrate sixty years of Star Trek from TV shows to movies. The Historic Theater on Los Aenego will show five of the original Star Trek at films in seventy millimeter and a remastered version of Star Trek the Motion Picture in four K digital. The event will also feature directors, producers, composers, actors, and the son of an actor, Adam Nimoy. This Saturday, Adam will present his documentary For the Love of Spock. It'll screen just before Star Trek two, The Wrath of Khan, which was directed by Nicholas Meyer, who will also be there.
Speaker 4: It's just an honor to have my film as the warm up field for Nix, which is just a I think it's a masterpiece. I love Rapaicans, It's one of my favorite the franchise, and it's just a it's an honor to be a part of the Star Trek legacy.
Speaker 10: Adam will also talk about his book The Most Human, which chronicles the tumultuous relationship with his father. I recently had a chance to catch up with Adam and ask him what it was like growing up the son of a science fiction icon.
Speaker 4: What's wyal Man. It's freaking incredible.
Speaker 3: It's incredible.
Speaker 4: Spock is amazing.
Speaker 3: I love Spot.
Speaker 4: Everyone loves Spock.
Speaker 3: It's easy to love Spot.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 4: No, used the quintessential outsider, you know, and a lot of us felt that way, just on the fringe, popular, not social shy.
Speaker 7: That was me all the way, you know.
Speaker 4: And that's and when I talked to fans, that is a big part of this several last thing of heel is that. And my dad reminded me he is the only alien on the bridge of the Enterprise. I mean, it's multi racial, multi ethnic, multinational, but but in terms of aliens, it's just stop. He is the ultimate outsideer. So this was always the weird part of being the son of Leonard moy is that I just idolized the character he had created well at the same time having to figure out a way to deal with this guy who I was living with.
Speaker 10: The book digs deep into Adam's personal struggles with his father, who he says was absent during the years the Star Trek series was in production, but Adam says it never got physical, but it did get loud.
Speaker 4: I do recount there's one moment in the eighties when when he was drunk and I was high, and we were in each other's faces in the living room and I had to ask him to step away. That's just you know, that's as bad as a god on a physical level.
Speaker 11: But it was just. Look, we had.
Speaker 4: A big blowout when I was seventeen, when I was starting to really push back on him, and he wrote me a letter and he said he admitted he felt bad about the fight we had. He said to me that, you know, arguing with him is going to be very difficult because he's very verbal aloud. He's basically just a tough kid from the tenement of Boston, the West End of Boston, and you don't spool around with him.
Speaker 5: And he's rich and famous.
Speaker 4: It's very difficult to deal with a guy who's becoming a pop culture icon, who's beloved by fans, millions of fans all over the world. It's just very difficult to stand to him and say you're wrong about something.
Speaker 10: Eventually, the two would reconcile, and the book goes into just how strong their relationship had become up to the moment his father died. Where were You when you.
Speaker 7: Found out your father passed away.
Speaker 5: Well, I was. I was inches away.
Speaker 3: I mean I was, I was coming to him.
Speaker 4: We've spent the day with him the day before he was in a coma, and then I was on my way to him when he passed away. I got there minutes after he passed. And that was the thing, you know, which I also talked about quite extensively in the book, because.
Speaker 5: It was a great It was a great moment where.
Speaker 4: Everybody left the room, the bedroom, and I just sat next to him alone, and.
Speaker 5: It was a great feeling.
Speaker 4: There were a lot of feelings that came up about just gratitude and love and unity with him, the closeness to him, a connection to him, and and being grateful for the fact that we figured it out, and I mean ends about the fact that he ever worked through our stuff, you know, I mean we were really close in those last seven years.
Speaker 10: Adam says he misses his father, but the world of Star Trek has embraced him and he feels like a part of that universe.
Speaker 4: And I'm so proud that's Star Trek's still residents for people because basically it's, you know, it's a message of hope, for the introverse that in the future, not only we're going to figure out our problems on planet, we're going to partner up with other planets. They had a federation of planets and go out bringing goodwill to the you know, the rest of the galaxy and universe. So, you know, to an honor to be a car that Pard.
Speaker 10: Bram Adam's book The Most Human is widely available and the movie series begins this Friday night at the Fine Arts Theater in Beverly Hills. For more info, go to KFI am six forty dot com, slash star Trek for wickip call, I'm Steve Gregory, KFI News.
Speaker 1: That is a Star Trek theme Kono next Generation Come on. A pilot's been critically injured when a plane went down east of the Santa Paula Airport. The Ventura County Fire Departments is the plane crash just before twelve thirty yesterday afternoon. The pilot was airlifted to a trauma center. There was another plane crash near the same airport on Saturday. The pilot and that one was able to walk away. Russia and Ukraine have swapped more than one hundred prisoners. The United Arab Emirates acted as the intermediary as one hundred and fifteen prisoners war returned to their home country Saturday. It's the first exchange since Ukraine launched a surprise attack into Russia's Kursk region earlier this month. Deadpool and Wolverine are back on top at the box office. Marvel's latest took in more than eighteen million dollars in its fifth week of release to finish in first place in theaters. Alien Romulus finished second, followed by It Ends with Us Blink Twice, which debuted this weekend, finished fourth. We're just minutes away from handle on the news this morning. Next time you head to Redondo Beach, beware the QR code. Let's say good morning now to State Senator Scott Wilk, representing the twenty first, twenty first Senate district, which includes Antelope, Santa Clarita, and Victor Valley's Good morning, Senator.
Speaker 7: Wilk, Good morning, Amy, Thanks.
Speaker 3: So much for getting up early.
Speaker 1: I wanted to talk to you about your new bill because it's an important ones. Animal shelters across California are absolutely packed to the rafters and we got to find a way to fix this.
Speaker 7: Yeah, absolutely. You know, shelters is supposed to be a place where dogs and cats can can be safe and find a new home, and because of over population, they've really turned into two kills centers, and you know, some of the figures are staggering. So, you know, what can we do, particularly in light of the fact that we're in a budget crisis, so capacity expanding capacities will be hard for these shelters. But there's actually has been for a while now, a new spay and neuter procedure, and so what this bill would do would establish the framework for we have two accredited vet schools, UC Davis and Western University of Health Science is down to Pomona to create a first in the nation, high quality, high volume spay neuter certificate program, so one to be touched students, but even more importantly, existing veninarians can come back and get that certification and then allow This technique is so quick that you could go in and spend a day somewhere and spay and renewter a lot of animals.
Speaker 1: Okay, So, Senator Wilke, aren't all animals that go into shelters already spade and neuters?
Speaker 7: No, no, no, they're not particularly in rural rural areas, because they can't they can't find somebody to come up in certain service the animals. So this first came to me because I constituents in Apple Valley complaining and I don't have jurisdiction, but I wanted to find out what's going on, and I called out there and it's like, we don't. We can't find anybody that you know, come up from the inland empire to do the services because it's not it's not profitable for them. And the kill rate, I'm sad to say, and the Apple Valley shelters the highest in the state. That's fifty five percent.
Speaker 3: Fifty five percent. Yeah, that just breaks back.
Speaker 7: Yeah, Allie County is almost thirty three.
Speaker 3: I hate this.
Speaker 1: Okay, so let's talk a little bit more about the procedure. How much faster is it and how much less expensive is it?
Speaker 3: Or is it?
Speaker 7: It's severely less expensive and very very very quick. I'm not sure the ratios, but everybody I talked to said this is one of the best ways we're going to be able to get our populations under control. You know, a dog that is not newter has has puppies and none of those puppies are neutered either. Within four years, Animal Animal Services people told me they could have produced many as five hundred dogs, So you can see where having these procedures done early really makes makes a difference.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and then Senator will for the new program that you want to put in place, you have two accredited center centers, so students and UC Davis has a great veterinary center they would be going through that.
Speaker 3: And then you said that existing vets could go.
Speaker 7: And yeah, yeah, it calls for the framework for establishing a certificate program, so you know, kind of like continuing education, but they could go and learn the procedure.
Speaker 1: Okay, and then would shelters be required to use that or you're just hoping that no, because it's.
Speaker 7: So much more hopefully, Yeah, it makes it economically viable. Well, one, it produces more people who could do this new technique, and then two makes it economic economic viable, like for somebody from the Inland Empire to drive up and spend a day like in a facility in Apple Valley, which is not convenient to perform those procedures.
Speaker 1: So if they could do ten or twenty in a day, it would make it more feasible than if you could do a couple in a day.
Speaker 3: Right, Okay, So what happens.
Speaker 1: Next because we know that the bill is making its way through the legislature, Well, it's.
Speaker 7: The last what's the last week of the legislature, so it will be coming up at some point earlier this week, I hope, on the Assembly floor, and then it will come back to the Senate for concurrence. And at that point it goes to the governor and he has thirty days in which to sign it or not sign it.
Speaker 3: So is there a pretty decent chance that'll get past this week?
Speaker 7: And about the governor, Yeah, yeah, I'm highly confident it clears the legislature. But you just never know what the what you know, any governor is going to do when it comes to bills, because there's always a lot of things that play. I had a great animals rights bill a few years ago, and he ended up betoing it, and I think it was for political reasons because when I was talking to the Legislative secretary, he didn't even know what the bill did, so I just I said, okay, I get it. So yeah, that's where it gets scary. And so if if you have people who want to weigh in. It's SB twelve thirty three, and then just google Governor Newsom and hop on his web his website and there's a way to put you know, put an input there. So I would really appreciate if people did that.
Speaker 1: Okay, great, And Senator Wilke, if people want to find out more about the bill or about the new procedures or a place they can go and look for it.
Speaker 7: Again, I mean, I've got an ex handle at Scott Wilke, CA. I do have a government page and there's stuff on that and it's the website addresses. So it's just way too long, of course, government, but they can just google me and then go to my website and we do have information on there as well.
Speaker 1: All Right, Senator Scott Wilke from Sat Clarita, thank you so much, appreciate it.
Speaker 3: Good luck with the bill this week.
Speaker 7: Thank you for highlighting and I appreciate it.
Speaker 3: You got it.
Speaker 1: Take care you want to find out more at Scott Wilkes CA. On X so important fifty five percent kill rate and it's National dog Day.
Speaker 3: I'm a little bit sad right now.
Speaker 1: Two astronauts stuck on the International Space Station. We'll have to wait until next year to return to Earth. Nasas's the pair who took a test flight on Boeing Starliner. We'll come home on a SpaceX capsule. In February. NASA Administrator Bill Nelson says they're going to try to undock the Starliner capsule from the space station and fly it uncrewed back to New Mexico.
Speaker 11: The decision to keep Butch and Sunny aboard the International Space Station and bring the Boeing Starliner home uncrewed is the result of a commitment to safety.
Speaker 1: The mission in June was supposed to last just eight days. It's been delayed by helium leaks and thruster issues with the Starliner capsule. Former President Trump is said to speak with National Guard troops in Michigan on this third anniversary of the suicide bombing that killed thirteen US service members in Kabble, Afghanistan. Trump's expected to promote his foreign policy record today and thy Vice President Harris to the chaotic withdrawal from Afghanistan. Trump's also expected to visit Arlington National Cemetery to pay his respects to the service members killed and the bombing outside Cobble. Contestants from all fifty States, Canada, and a few other countries were in Ventura over the weekend for the throw Down Cornhole Festival. It's considered the world's largest cornhole festival. More than a thousand teams featuring bean bag throwers of all ages and skill levels competed to win cash prizes at the Ventura County Fairgrounds. The festival started as an end of summer block party and grew from there. Tomorrow, the Dodgers take on the Baltimore Orioles at Dodgers Stadium. First pitch goes out at seven. You can listen to every play of every Dodgers game on AM five seventy LA Sports live from the Galpin Motors Broadcast Booth, and you can stream all the games in HD on the iHeartRadio app. Keyword is AM five seventy LA Sports. You've been listening to Wake Up Call with me Amy King. You can always hear Wake Up Call five to six am Monday through Friday on kf I AM six forty and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio app.